[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Large format on a budget

I'm looking into using the printing paper as the medium itself. I have built a "large format" camera, more like a box and the film holder. It has a lense, etc... I'm now trying to take pictures with it. Is using the printing paper (something by Ilford for example) or is there something cheaper I'm missing? I also don't quite undersand Direct positive paper. Hope this sparks some discussion.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-T1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)84 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:07:11 15:44:42
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Brightness-0.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length56.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3212417
xray film
>>
>>3212426
am familiar with it because of the dentist! will look into it, thanks!
>>
File: 0605_s.jpg (129 KB, 800x1000)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
Also litho film. About same cost and sensitivity as paper. However developing it to have any tones at all needs experimentation. (Something like Rodinal 1:200, 7 mins gives some tones but result is quite thin.)
>>
>>3212417
tell us how it goes
>>
you can buy shanghai pretty cheap these days on eBay.
>>
>>3212417
What don't you get about direct positive paper? Printing paper will give you paper negatives, positive paper will give you paper positives. Ilford DPP is very contrasty and rates very very low. You can find plenty of ways to improve its quality on Google, it involves "pre-flashing" the paper to a very small amount of light. Then you get to process it in normal B&W paper chemistry.
>>
File: $_10.jpg (103 KB, 1000x1000)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
i own a 4x5 camera and love it but i would love to start just snapshitting on 4x5 has anyone ever used one of these?
>>
>>3212417
I'd love to shoot LF but whenever I dream up a setup it works out to be about 10x the cost of my current MF setup with 10x less convenience.
>>
>>3216009
that or maybe a graflex. plenty of deals to be found with people who jump into large format only to realize the commitment it takes and then give up and dump their gear.
>>
i got a couple graflex for free. just do that.
>>
>>3217318
Some guys get all the luck.
>>
>>3212417
Might pull the trigger on a 4x5 camera. Getting hold of film won't be a problem, but where does everyone get lenses and film holders?
>>
>>3219977
Keh sells both.
>>
>>3212417
>is there something cheaper I'm missing?
LF is pretty cheap as it is, as long as you do your own black and white.
sure the price per photo may seem high compared to 35mm but you will find that if you 6 shots in a day of shooting that is a lot.
LF is slow and you have time to consider your shot so quite often you will set up and decide the shot isn't worth taking.
>>
>>3219989
Do you, by any chance, have a European equivalent to avoid losing my anal virginity to violent rape by import taxes?
>>
>>3219977
>Might pull the trigger on a 4x5 camera.
It's called a cable release.
>>
>>3220125
>might pull the trigger

It means he might buy one shitdick
>>
>>3220128
He was making a joke, and it was a pretty funny one. I sensibly-chuckled.
>>
>>3217490

Paid 30 bucks for my 4x5 monorail

Monorails are cheap because they're heavy as fucking all hell and no hipster wood shit all metal, love my Graphic View 4x5
>>
>>3220125

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.