[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads - Stupid Questions Thread

Old thread: >>3214339
>>
Why do we still have 1000px rule? Could at least double it.
>>
>>3225729
That isn't a rule. It is a request. Some threads, like macro threads don't adhere to it because of the type of content they are.
>>
>>3225729
>Why do we still have 1000px rule?
because the least web space your snapshits use, the better.
>>
You can use full frame lenses on crop cameras right? I tried looking it up but I just read stuff about distance to mirror etc and I had no idea what they were saying to be honest because I'm not a bright person
>>
>>3225724
What is the difference between a nikon d3400 and d5300?

Looking to buy one of those so I don't have to use my dad's old shitty digital rebel XTi
>>
>>3225755
if the mounts are the same, it should be fine
>>
File: 5a23490f.jpg (228 KB, 849x1280)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
Hi guys, I'm new and I'd like to know which are the best Lens for anime figures and Dollfies.
>>
>>3225741
Nothing to do with bandwidth. You can post 3meg 1000px snapshit with ease. If anything there should be a rule on file sizes, and not on px. It's archaic as fuck.
>>
>>3225755
>You can use full frame lenses on crop cameras right?
Yes, assuming the mount is the same. Eg, you can use Nikon full frame lenses on a crop-sensor Nikon, and you can use Canon EF (full frame) lenses on a Canon EF-S (crop) mount. You can’t use something like a Nikon full frame lens on a Canon crop camera without an adapter of some sort.
>>
>>3225756
D5300 has wireless connectivity, flippy screen, and more autofocus points.

They’re both in about the Rebel class. Why not get a newer Rebel if you’re already familiar with (and presumably have access to at least one lens for) Canon?
>>
File: DSC_0074b.jpg (320 KB, 1488x1364)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
I have a lens I made from scavenging parts and I'm trying to figure out the f/stop. The ridiculous f/0.46 isn't of course remotely possible, but I'd at least like some idea of what it really is. I took some photos with it and another lens in the exact same lighting conditions, for comparison (pic). I didn't take to many pains to get things into focus. Especially, since I could barely see anything in the LCD screen.

Any help here? I'm getting anything from f/1.85 to f/046.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern856
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2018:01:18 19:54:43
Exposure Time30 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1024
Image Height1365
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
how do i poop
>>
>>3226599
>how do i poop
in the loo
>>
>>3225724
Hey guys, recently purchased a canon a1 its in immaculate condition however it is always blurry through view finder. have tried multiple lenses that i know work for sure as i use them on my other cameras, for whatever reason however i cant get them in focus with the A1. It adjusts when but is never clear any ideas? please and thank you
>>
>>3226576

An f-number is:
>the ratio of the system's focal length to the diameter of the entrance pupil

Should be able to calculate it.
>>
Hey guys I got a camera rather recently, and I know how to use it to some degree, but are there any learning resources to learn more about techniques I can use?

I'm sure there's tons of info on using editing software like lightroom, but I'd love to improve my general skill as a photographer,
>>
>>3226836
How does one find the entrance pupil on a single element lens that does not have an aperture? The usable diameter of the lens itself measures exactly 55mm using calipers. Nothing, other than the physical diameter of the lens itself, is blocking light to the sensor.
>>
>>3226576
8 sec is about 2 stops faster than 30 ses. (8 x 2 x 2 = 32) Since both were shot at ISO 100 I would estimate your unknown lens is about f/2.8.
>>
>>3226876
What about the mount diameter?
>>
File: Camera and Lens.png (167 KB, 777x512)
167 KB
167 KB PNG
>>3226882
I just measured everything and this image is to scale.

There's nothing from the sensor to the lens that blocks light along the yellow lines. Everything outside of that zone acts as ambient light baffling, but doesn't interfere with what is directly striking the sensor area.

The sensor is the short blue line.
>>
File: DSC_0055b.jpg (356 KB, 1024x683)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>3226878
That makes sense. I came up with that number once the same way you did. It is such a bright lens that 1/4000 isn't fast enough on a sunny day and I have to use ND filters.

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Color Filter Array Pattern786
Image Created2018:01:18 16:08:26
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
Image Width1024
Image Height683
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3226891

You know there are mirrors inside the body, right?
>>
>>3226966
The mirrors are only used for the viewfinder. The main mirror flips up and the shutter opens to expose the sensor. You can see that happen if you take the lens off in manual mode and switch to a video mode like LiveView (Nikon). That's also a way to clean your sensor, if the mirror-up function doesn't work, because your battery is too low.
>>
>>3225773
Most likely a short macro lens.

https://thesmallermajority.com/2012/07/13/macro-lenses-shorter-is-better-often/
>>
File: DSC_0209c.jpg (228 KB, 1024x655)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>3226894
>>3226891
>>3226878
>>3226882
>>3226876
>>3226836
Okay, I took a lot more test shots at f/3.5 with one lens then the DIY lens. Using a color selector I was able to determine that they are 1 stop from each other. The DIY lens seems to be as close to f/2.5 as it gets.

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Camera SoftwareVer.1.12
Color Filter Array Pattern5022
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image Width160
Image Height120
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2018:01:19 14:20:48
Exposure Time1/4000 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length0.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
How hard is it to get perfect white balance? Is it really as easy as using a grey card and all your photos will have perfect white balance. Or do certain lighting conditions make things more complicated? I'm digging through my old photos where I didn't use a grey card trying to find neutral spots to use the white balance selector on. While I can come pretty close to removing a lot of the color cast on people to make their skin tones look close to natural, things like walls and floors still have a strong yellow or green color cast that I just can't seem to completely get rid off.
>>
>>3227189
>How hard is it to get perfect white balance?

On the camera it can be hard if the camera doesn't have the proper ranges for white balance. There's nothing quite like seeing one thing and the camera has something else and there's no monkeying with it to get it to work right.

My best recommendation is to use something like Photoshop's Camera Raw to select different areas and adjust from there.
>>
>>3227189
I use a white balance cap when I shoot anything where colors matter (portraits, wood). IMO finding the right color balance is hard, for me to fix, because my sense of color is not that great.
>>
File: 1529_D3300_left[1].png (326 KB, 700x595)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
Is there a better option for amateur photographer than Nikon D3300? You can get one of these for like 400$.

Considering price/performance ratio.
>>
I'm trying to get into film so I bough a cheap Praktica Super TL but the last owner really scratched up the battery cover and thus far, all attempt to get into it have failed.

Am I screwed or is there anything I can do?
>>
>>3227500
Do you have a Dremel? You could use a cutting disc to reshape the coin slot. Like make it slightly deeper, or even slot it in the other direction completely.
>>
>>3227505
>>3227500
Oh, and you can also try gluing something small to it using epoxy. Then you have a turn tab to open it, so long as it doesn't affect using it on a tripod. Maybe something that hinges so it can fold over more flat when not used.
>>
>>3227475
>>3227475
>>3227475
Please, people
>>
>>3227627
Your phone would be infinitely times better for price/performance
>>
>>3227628
Can I get nonfunny/nonironic answer?
>>
>>3227475
> Is there a better option for amateur photographer than Nikon D3300?
There are a bunch of different options that are about the same, but nothing particularly better. Just buy it and don't worry too much about fear that you didn't get the best thing.
>>
File: DSC04109.jpg (1.37 MB, 1500x1000)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
What do you guys use for sharing photos with your family? Pic related, I want to share pics of my trip with them.

I'm using Google Photos since I like its sharing feature and viewer, but photos are compressed to hell and looks like shit (even though I made sure I'm storing them full size)

What's a nice service like it that does have :

- Sharing albums/parts of an album
- Decent viewer
- Can put comments on a photo, which can be seen on the photo on the slideshow
- No shitty compressed jpegs at like 10%
- At least 20GB of free storage

Tried Amazon, as I may get their prime subscription, but Google Photo does it all better, except for the compression where Amazon is okay

Never used flickr before, it might be an option I guess, but it feels dated for some reason

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution240 dpcm
Vertical Resolution240 dpcm
Image Created2018:01:20 21:54:41
Exposure Time2.5 sec
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness-7.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3227475
>Is there a better option for amateur photographer than Nikon D3300?

Not really. I got a D3400 since it has longer battery life, but a few less features, like no external mic port. My only regret is not getting something that is weatherized. Keep a plastic rain bag handy.
>>
>>3227691
Flickr.
>>
>>3227475
if you looked hard enough or had patience you could get a d7100 used for 500 or below
>>
>>3227475
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D5100-16-2MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-3-lens-50mm-18-55mm-55-200mm/152873632841
under 400 with shipping
>>
I'm just confused about why everyone rips each other a new one when no one here can seem to produce a really amazing or even kinda good photo.
No more black and white grainy portraits or boring landscapes and buildings.
Also, if you are going to post your edit of someone's photo then it should be better then the original. Not equal to or worse
>>
>>3227730
practice what you preach buddy lets see your god tier photos
>>
>>3227731
Except I'm not claiming to be good. Or a photographer. I just enjoy looking. My point is from an observer
>>
>>3227736
most of the people here are amateurs or hobbyists go someone else if you want "quality"
>>
>>3227739
It's not about demanding high quality. It's about people needing to be more humble before they shit on someone's photo. I'm saying people need to realize that they cant talk shit without backing it up
>>
>>3227744
You don't need to be a good cook to know food tastes like shit.

Inb4 >food analogy
>>
>>3227745
Yes but you need to be a good cook to give tips and know how's
>>
>>3227730
>no one here can seem to produce a really amazing or even kinda good photo

See:
>>3206974
>>3213821
>>3213792
>>
>>3227748
no you don't lmao if something is too salty (you) you can tell the chef to add less salt next time. Do you see couches in sports playing the game? Nope but professionals still listen to their advice. As long as you have an understand of how photography/sports/cooking works you can give advice.
>>
>>3227748
>/p/
>constructive criticism
Most of us just come here to shit on each other and we're perfectly fine with that. Woe to the fools who comes here seriously looking to improve himself.
>>
>>3227749
Also: >>3210596
>>
Is there a Canon alternative for Nikon D3300?
>>
>>3228117
Rebel T5.
>>
I feel like I'm gonna piss people off with this but what's even the reason for dslrs when mirrorless cameras can have a full frame sensor? DSLRs have a massive lens selection but is that it?
>>
>>3228180
The biggest thing for me is battery life. I can keep the lcd screen turned off 99% of the time with the DSLR and use the optical viewfinder for framing shots. The viewfinder contains all the info needed to change settings and recommend settings in manual modes, depending on camera model. Another big thing for me is size. I need something that is the right size to fit into my hand. Every mirrorless I've used is way too small. Buttons are too close together on those and everything is awkward. I end up gripping buttons to hold onto the camera and accidentally pressing them. The LCD screen of a mirrorless camera also causes night blindness, since your eyes can never adjust properly to the dark while using it.

I have 3 batteries for my DSLR and I switch one out once every 600-1200 photos. If a mirror less can match that, give me an optical viewfinder that views through the lens so I can turn off the LCD screen, and have a body form factor is a proper size for my hands, I'd probably seriously consider buying one. Otherwise, I'm not making the switch.

The biggest thing that draws me to mirrorless is the ability to adapt a massive range of lenses from other cameras.
>>
>>3228173
So, EOS 1200D?
>>
>>3228195
>>3228173
D3300 seems a lot better.
http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D3300-vs-Canon-EOS-1200D
>>
Reposting from /gear/

Hey guys what's up, I'm wondering if you guys can give me any monitor recommendations for editing on a budget of about 150 bucks. Or should I be paying more?

Thank you.
>>
File: obrazek.jpg (56 KB, 720x509)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I want to buy used DSLR with lens for 460$ (410€) tops.

Is there any better option than Nikon D3300 with Basic 18-105mm lens?
>>
>>3228200
A Dell Ultrasharp U2414H or any of the ultrasharp series is probably your best bet, its an IPS panel which is a must and it comes pre calibrated, also great quality build. 150 bucks is not gonna do it for you though unless you can get a refurb or something, but theyre not that expensive nowadays.
>>
>>3228200
>>3228210
just checked, its on sale on amazon for 200 dollars right now, thats a really good deal.
>>
>>3228209

That's about as good as you'll get. Don't forget about tax. You should consider getting a prime lens unless you really need that aperture range .

Never really understood the 18-105 anyway. It's too short range for wildlife, and for portraits/stills you usually only need a 50 anyway
>>
I'm looking to get into the full-frame game.

What's the best value that I'll find? Looking for something Nikon hopefully
>>
>>3228216
second hand D610 / D800 ?
>>
File: 868.jpg (70 KB, 600x635)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
What's the [spoiler]funnest[/spoiler] polaroid printer for smart phone?

Thinking of getting the polaroid zip.
>>
>>3228190
what do you shoot that you go thro so many batterys?
>>
>>3228474
Wildlife. There's no walls to plug in chargers. Solar chargers are sketchy.
>>
Anybody know the source of the /p/ banner? The one with the girl holding the camera?
>>
So I accidentally wound an unshot roll back into the cartridge and then mixed it in with some identical shot rolls - how do I:
1) retrieve the leader back out
2) safely check if the roll has been shot
>>
Is it worth getting insurance for your gear if you're not a professional? If anything it seems like it'd be even more difficult to recoup if you're just a hobbyists since pros will probably have extra gear anyways right?
>>
Anyone trouble posting images lately? I can't seem to upload a single post with any kind of image. Getting generic "upload failed" message.
>>
>>3228906

1) There is a tool for retrieving leaders, google it.

2) You can develop them all to discover which one you missed. If your camera has a gimmick (i.e. - stripping the sprockets on the last frame) you may be able to figure it out that way.
>>
>>3228930

yup me too, hiroshimoot broke 4chan
>>
I'm fairly new with a camera and I have a couple of photoshoots coming up at an anime con, I'm pretty nervous. Would it be unprofessional to take a shot or two of alcohol before the shoot to ease up on the anxiety and relax a bit?
>>
>>3228906
>>3228941
You don't need a tool for that. Lick a piece of film and insert that into the canister. Use it to pull out the film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnwVLaaQbkw
>>
>>3229006
Potentially. How do you react to alcohol? Is it going to make you think your models want to fuck you?
>>
>>3229006
>Would it be unprofessional to take a shot or two of alcohol before the shoot to ease up on the anxiety and relax a bit?
Are you a professional when you don't drink?
Who cares?
Just don't actually get drunk. And try to avoid smelling of boose.
>>
>>3225755
While you can use full frame lenses on crop bodies if the mount is the same, not all lenses will autofocus on cameras with crop sensors. This has nothing to do with the lenses, but the cheaper crop sensor models doesn't have the ability to autofocus on older lenses because it would make them more expensive. For instance, Nikons AF-D lenses won't autofocus on older crop sensor entry level Nikon cameras.
>>
>>3229006
>animecon
nigga they're gonna be more nervous than you
>>
>>3229006
also, since you said you are pretty new, making sure you know what you're doing should help a lot
>>
>>3227500
try using a screwdriver and a wide rubber band between the screwhead and slot
>>
I want to start doing photo shoots at conventions. What set up do I need? I have a speed light but do I need the back drop and lighting? Any sort of guidance would be nice.
>>
I want to start doing photo shoots at conventions. What set up do I need? I have a speed light but do I need the back drop and lighting? Any sort of guidance would be nice.
>>
if a tripod has a quick release plate theres nowhere to put the camera if the plate is not included right?
>>
>>3229014
Oh god no, even when I'm drunk I never try to hit on grills tbqh. Alcohol usually helps ease me into social situations so I'm assuming it'll help with this as well.

>>3229017
thx friendo

>>3229022
>>3229023
Lel, I don't quite know what I'm doing which is why I'm pretty nervous. It's gonna be my first time shooting with off camera flash as well.
They all know I'm new and am using these sessions for practice, they're all alright with it but still.
>>
Are cameras that try to focus on both stills and video worse than cameras that primarily focus on one of them?
So will, say, the Sony A7r III produce worse stills since they also put some focus on the video aspect of the thing
>>
>>3229060
Might vary between bodies, but generally speaking stills won't be worse, but for video you should get a camera that's focusing on video.
>>
>>3229060

No.

Even for the a7 series which is praised for its video abilities, the video is little more than a tacked on afterthought compared to photo features.

A different story with something like the NEX-VG20 though.
>>
File: fug.jpg (175 KB, 800x539)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>3225724
Why is war photography the most based form of photography? I feel like even though its super disturbing the pictures just show so much about everything. Like so many of these photos are just things I could stare at for hours and feel so many different feelings. Even if the photo is shit quality I'm just left speechless. People actually lived through these events.
>>
Is there such a thing as a 35mm color separation camera? Preferably with zoom lens.
>>
File: IMG_20180124_122918202-01.jpg (390 KB, 1366x1366)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
I was at a party this weekend and i finished a roll of film. When I took it out of the camera, the leader was outside the canister and creased. Has this roll been exposed, or did I make a mistake loading or unloading it? I was pretty fucked up, so it's possible I just pushed a button that I don't remember.

This roll came from a Vivitar AF450, an incredibly underrated point and shoot with a prime lens it.

Equipment MakeMotorola
Camera ModelXT1575
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 2.0
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2018:01:24 12:31:18
Exposure Time3333/100000 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/2.0
BrightnessUnknown
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Focal Length4.67 mm
Image Width1366
Image Height1366
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationLow
SharpnessSoft
Geodetic Survey DataWGS-84
>>
>>3229063
Well, sony wants you to buy every single toy that they make.

Just go with Panasonic if you want great video features.
>>
>>3229784
probably you didn't even shot the Portra 400
>>
>>3229787
Bummer
>>
>>3229785
>>3229449
>>
>>3229784
im inclined to think you failed to load it properly and it never really started advancing.
>>
Is it time to breach containment and start my own thread?

>>3229449
>>
>>3229978
I vote yes. I’m guessing the short answer to your initial question is “no”, but I’m looking forward to the discussion of why the hell you’d want to.
>>
>>3229784
There exist cameras with a special mode to not suck in the leader when rewinding. Rare for that in a point and shoot though (especially from Vivitar), but I wasn’t able to find any info about that guy, so it’s possible.

But I’m going to disagree with everyone else and say there’s a decent chance it was successfully shot. The kink in the film is what you’d get from the roll being held by the takeup spool for a prolonged period of time. When the camera automatically rewound, depending on what it uses to sense “I’m done rewinding”, it very possibly might have gotten caught up by that kink. Eg, if it rewinds for a set amount of distance, the kink might have just kept the end from getting sucked in at the end by causing it to be a little less slackly-wound in the cartridge.

In any case, it won’t cost *me* any money to get it developed, so I say take it to the lab.
>>
>>3229784
>>3229787
>>3229840
>>3230001
You can develop the roll as-is, or you can run it though a camera again.

If you use it again, you're guaranteed to at least get something.
>>
>>3229994
>yay instagram
>yay b&w film
>film is still relevant
>yay buying every single DSLR that comes out, as well as 6,000,000 lenses

>but I’m looking forward to the discussion of why the hell you’d want to.
>>
>>3230029
You get me. <3
>>
What is the sharpest 35mm black and white film?
>>
Is there an open source program that will let me do the median thing where I can take several photos of a scenery and edit all the people out?
Or is there another way to do it?
>>
>>3230078
Kodak techical pan
>>
So, i had an inspiration and decided to make a project.
99% of "models" on MM in my country are just attention whores who like to flash tits.
HELP
How do i find generic model who really know what to do?
>i'm ready to pay
>99% of portfolior are trash
>1% dont respond
>>
>>3230262
>99% of "models" on MM in my country are just attention whores who like to flash tits.
First off, tits are awesome and the wonderful women who want you to take pictures of them should not be disparaged.

Secondly: Maybe try going with a professional modelling agency if you want professional models?
>>
How the fuck does this happen without dropping or otherwise bumping the camera? I bought it like a month ago and it’s worked fine up until today
>>
>>3230552
rush repair job, most probably
>>
>>3230555
is there any way I can fix it or will I have to send it in? The seller seemed like a cool dude but I don’t think he’d do it for free
>>
>>3230552
>>3230557
I think those have problems with the mirror getting stuck in the up position. If someone fiddled with it trying to fix that, then something else may have come loose. You'll probably have to send it in if you are not DIY enough to do it yourself, most people are not. You can make that judgement by looking at repair pics/vids online of that camera.
>>
>>3230560
Any chance you could spoonfeed me/point me in the right direction? The part in the original picture is the main mirror right?
>>
>>3230564
The part in the picture looks to be the focusing screen, not the mirror. If you google “Minolta x700 focusing screen” it looks like it might be something you can fix yourself if it just popped loose and didn’t snap something off.
>>
>>3230552

It looks like the focus screen just fell out.

Hard to tell on a phone, but mirror looks okay.

Just remount the focus screen, e-z-p-z.
>>
>>3230552
Luckily, the x-700 is like the most fun camera to diy repair
>>
If you're shooting on film, how do you properly fix your aperture and shutter for night photography?
>>
>>3230701
One stop below wide open, 1/30 of a second. You may be grossly underexposed, but it's better than being blurry.
>>
>>3230703
Thanks mate. Will try this.

Now I need to find a place that can develop all this shit and give me scans.
>>
>>3230587
>Minolta x700 focusing screen

Yeah, it does look like that.
>>
>>3230697
>>3230688
>>3230587
>>3230705
Yup, that was the issue. I looked it up and slotted the focusing screen back in. Pretty anxious to get my next roll developed, hope the camera isn’t borked. Thanks lads!
>>
why do i hate the 4:3 aspect ratio so much? I mean, it's good for portraits or macros, but why does everyone use it in nature/landscape fotography? 16:9 or even wider like 21:9 just looks so much better
>>
Now that the dust has settled and turned to granite, why are there no VHS-C cameras that record as well as whatever produced feature movies on VHS?
>>
>>3230761
A rectangle accommodates a pair of eyes comfier than a square.
>>
>>3230761
I think the only reason it's used in landscape photography is that it's large format film, and large format film is only made in squares.
>>
>>3230802
>I think the only reason it's used in landscape photography is that it's large format film, and large format film is only made in squares.
1. Large format film is commonly made in 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 formats, none of which has a 4:3 aspect ratio.
2. Also, they're rectangles, not squares.
>>
looking to get into medium format. What are the cheapish options for cameras that aren't garbage?
>>
>>3230904
TLRs can often be had in the $50 range (just make sure it’s a real TLR and not a viewfinder box camera shaped like a TLR). Mamiya 645 or RB67 if you want to drop some more serious coin.
>>
>>3227691
my extended family does care but i have instagram where my brother (mostly shares memes and posts snapshits) and dad (far far better than me) follow me.
>>
>>3230906
doens't *
>>
Can a digital camera be hacked so that it uses each sub-pixel as a pixel?
>>
>>3230924
No
>>
File: instasize_180126000915.png (4.85 MB, 3240x3240)
4.85 MB
4.85 MB PNG
Anyone else as sick of this as I am?
>>
Going to Quebec next month. I heard they have similar laws to Germany when it comes to publishing street photographs of people. Any Quebecfriends here have any experience with shooting in public and posting your photos on social media?
>>
>>3230924
>Can a digital camera be hacked so that it uses each sub-pixel as a pixel?
Unless I’m misunderstanding you, this is exactly what digital cameras do with Bayer interpolation. Each photosite is actually measuring ONLY red, green, or blue, so I assume that’s what you mean by “sub-pixel”, but when the photosites are bayer-interpolated, they use each photosite as a pixel by combining it with its neighbors.
>>
File: IMG_20180117_164926886.jpg (4.06 MB, 4608x3456)
4.06 MB
4.06 MB JPG
>>3231001
https://www.flickr.com/groups/34427471721@N01/discuss/72157594202172390/

i can tell you that here in Montreal, depending on where you are, you might definitely end up with security/police after you when someone spots you taking pictures of unsuspecting passersby. then if you're on a crowded downtown street shooting in the general direction of a hundred people, individuals are less likely to protest

Equipment MakeMotorola
Camera ModelMoto G (4)
Camera Softwareathene_f-user 7.0 NPJS25.93-14-13 3 release-keys
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2018:01:17 16:49:26
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/2.0
BrightnessUnknown
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.68 mm
Image Width4608
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
Geodetic Survey DataWGS-84
>>
>>3231001
while technically you can get in trouble, most people don't give a shit and fewer still know the law. you could even just claim that you don't post them anywhere, or that you're doing a series about anonymity in the city, and that you blur out all faces in photoshop (friend pulled this off one time much to my surprise).

the only time in my 5 years there that i got called out was taking a picture of a city counsellor putting up an art instillation, and frankly he was just calling me out for jokes (and we ended up having a really good converstaion about it).

if someone yells at you in quebecois just say 'oh im sorry, tourist, i'll erase, uhhh... effacer' (pronounced ay-fas-ay and is french for erase). then fiddle with your camera for a second, look at them, nod, smile, and give them a little apologetic wave as you walk away.

at the end of the day it's a touristy city, and the people there are in general pretty chill and open to the arts, so somebody walking around taking pictures isn't a target for their anger.
>>
Looks like it's time to make my own thread.

>>3230797
>>
>>3230797
>Now that the dust has settled and turned to granite, why are there no VHS-C cameras that record as well as whatever produced feature movies on VHS?
What produced feature movies on VHS was 35mm film. The reason they are high quality is because film records at relatively high resolution, high dynamic range, and with a big enough surface area to have meaningful control over depth of field. Unlike what your girlfriend repeatedly tells you while you’re crying on the end of the bed after catching her looking at porn on your computer while you were away from the house, size matters.

In the days of VHS, it was not yet possible to produce a sensor the size of 35mm motion picture film (which is to say, what we now call APS-C) which could record video. They barely had sensors that could record stills that large. By the time technology progressed to the point where we could record video with a large-size sensor, technology had also progressed well past VHS.
>>
>>3231159
What does that have to do with publishing movies on VHS?

>Technically Correct !!Y42F2zb/zVh

Oh.
>>
>>3231338
I think you misread that guy’s question. Or misread my answer.

Instead of just going “he’s a tripfag, he must be an idiot”, make an attempt to point out where I made a mistake.
>>
>>3225724
Goddamn I feel like a fucking idiot, but how do I upload to instagram? I can't find any kind of upload button.
>>
>>3231373
Instagram (at least officially) only allows uploads through their mobile app. So, copy your picture to your phone and upload it there.
>>
>>3231385

There's also a very lightweight and easy lightroom plugin.
>>
>>3231385
Holy shit that's fucking retarded I can see now why there's so many blogshit type photography in there.
wtf I love flickr now.
>>3231388
Guess I can use both now though.

Thank you guys.
>>
I found this 7D for 175 because the mode wheel is broken and stuck on av mode is this a simple fix or is it something that needs professional attention
>>
How do I make the background of a portraid darker without applying some sort of vignette?
>>
>>3231765
Light the foreground more.
>>
>>3231576
Like it's physically stuck?
>>
>>3231576
Ask a professional or seek help at some sort of service place.
It's a good deal though.
>>
>>3231390
>>3231373
I use Gramblr for PC to upload to instagram
>>
>>3231779
Yeah the guy said he broke the knob and won't witch out from av mode more than likely he broke something inside the knob

>>3231789
I might just have to, can't seem to find anything on Google/YouTube
>>
>>3226794
Is it possible that the diopter of the A1 is inappropriate for your eyesight?
https://www.flickr.com/groups/23373134@N00/discuss/72157625538774661/
>>
File: sample.jpg (81 KB, 515x468)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
I am new to photography, or rather I'm familiar with it but want to get my own. I hope asking these questions are okay here. I have been looking at comparisons of mid-tier mirrorless/dslr with articulated LCD for calm indoor environment+outdoor travel vlog videos and narrowed it down to these. Which should I get, or is there something else you'd recommend for this price? I know there's nearly-as-good stuff for few hundred cheaper, but I can't afford 'practice dslr' and constant upgrades.

Fuji xt20 has more focus points and can do 4k video, I know it overheats at that resolution if used for 30 minutes but I won't be shooting for that long at once. Meanwhile Canon 80d has longer battery life, better LCD articulation, and seems to be more popular/can get more lenses in the long run?
>>
>>3232156

>articulated screen

Phone tethering is better in almost every situation. Unsure how the Fuji tethering app is though.
>>
>>3231798
it follows random pages so i dont really recommend that
>>
Do I need to know anything special before I take photos near the ocean? Do I need to worry about getting sand or salt in my gear?
>>
File: oly.jpg (205 KB, 1200x675)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>3225724
which colorway for Olympus cameras: all black or the iconic black & silver?

Camera SoftwareGoogle
PhotographerPicasa
Image Width1200
Image Height675
>>
>>3232451
The one you have with you
>>
>>3232451
It’s entirely personal preference, so just pick the one you like more if you don’t like one more than the other, literally flip a coin
>>
File: fug.jpg (47 KB, 531x225)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>3232184
That would be a good solution for when I'm sitting indoors doing videos, but I won't be able to hold my phone and cam when walking out and about.

After doing more research I found Sony a6300 is also similarly good for the price. Since 4k dslr are very expensive and I don't like to use viewfinders I'll probably knock the Canon out and now consider the Fuji and Sony, though the biggest thing I like about the Canon is it's screen is fully articulated for filming myself. Ahh I dunno...
>>
>>3232451
normie: black & silver
pretentious contrarian hipster: all black
>>
>>3232237
Haven't had such an incident yet,been using it for around 3 months.But I'm sure that it likes random picures from people I don't follow.
>>
Which mail-in processor and/or scanner will scan negatives at gorillions of pixels for the best price?
>>
>>3232679
The dark room will dev and scan a roll at 4492×6774 for $20.

Dwayne's will develop and scan a roll at 1830x2740 for $9

Am Epson v600 costs $200 and will give you 600mb image files
>>
What are the specifications of the typical satellite camera?
>>
>>3232797
30mp *o*
>>
Is there any plugin or something similar for Lightroom that automatically creates folders by date when you export pictures so you don't have to make new folders every time you export pictures and point Lightroom to them?
>>
File: Use-manual-flash-mode.jpg (236 KB, 1000x667)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
I got my first prime- 50mm f1.8 and I'm dying to use the thing but I don't have any friends or family who are good looking, what do and more importantly, how bad am I going to fuck up my first shoots?

I'm considering offering a free shoot or two on my Instagram stories or facebook and seeing what I get, but I don't have a car so it becomes kinda awkward and sad.

What are some other options/ideas/input?
>>
>>3232981
>I don't have any friends or family who are good looking
Make some friends.

>how bad am I going to fuck up my first shoots?
Probably pretty badly, but that’s okay. Being terrible at something is the first step towards being good at something. You’ll look back at the early stuff and wish you could go back and take a mulligan with the knowledge you’ve gained since, but if you hadn’t done those shitty early shoots, you wouldn’t have learned what not to do.

>offering a free shoot
Good idea.

>I don't have a car
Get a car.
>>
Under which conditions does the sky turn pink while shooting?

I thought it was mostly during warm sunsets at first but then I saw the most beautiful pink sunset in the cold of winter so now I'm not quite sure.

Is it just random or is there something observable that one can predict?
>>
>>3232981
I just go up to hot chicks and ask if they will model for me. Some say no and others say yes. I always get their contact info to send the photos to them.

>>3233057
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/publications/corfidi/sunset/
>>
>>3233072
does that work and do you have business cards or something?
>>
>>3233116
It works on and off. No, I don't have business cards. I don't have a business and I don't use my camera to make money.
>>
>>3232981
Go on social media and ask for models, but be honest about who you are and what it is that you want. If you are a newbie just wanting some practice, explicitly state that.

Since you dont have a car the best thing to do is choose a set location like a public park, often easily accesible by public transport both for you and the model, also makes you seem like less of a creep if you are willing to meet in public.
>>
I got an almost ancient(over 30 year old) Nikkor Zoom 35-70 mm lens with max aperture of f/3.3.
in 2 weeks I would go to the northern part of my country to photograph aurora borealis and other night photography.
Will this work fine assuming I have a tripod and long exposure settings enabled?
>>
>>3233237
Should do, just don't expect pic that you posted. Heavy photoshop.

Anyway. Gradation settings? Why do they work on raw? I'm reading it's jpeg only, but I'm definitely seeing them being applied to raw in my case.
>>
>>3233072
yeah sorry senpai, that link doesn't really tell me much
>>
File: DCN021.jpg (18 KB, 453x340)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Not a question but a tip for anyone to whom it might be useful just because I'm in a good mood-

I recently ordered third party batteries from Amazon for Sony alpha range and they didn't work so I tried to return them. Turns out you can't send li-on batteries through the mail in most countries unless they're within a device. Meaning you can get free batteries for almost any camera by ordering them on amazon then simply being honest when you return them- after a phonecall to amazon explaining the situation they'll have no option but to pay for a collection (which costs them more than the product is worth anyway) or simply refund you in full.

Bit of a dick move but Amazon have made literally thousands off of me so I'm not against it morally, but to each their own
>>
>>3233668
it's actually the same way with other inexpensive products you order from Amazon (DVDs, Books etc.)
>>
>>3233634

Image Created2015:08:23 10:40:52
>>
>>3233668
Most China orders on amazon are no-return. I've had problems with 2 items, an insulated carafe ($75) and a lens coupling ring ($10). The carafe wouldn't hold any heat for longer than 2 hours due to crappy design at its neck (body acted like a metal-on-metal heat sink) and the coupling ring was actually a step-up ring. In both instances, I complained about the problems and the broken English replies I got were essentially, "very sorry! keep it, we will refund you, please give us good rating". This sort of thing does lead to customers bullying sellers too which has been a problem evidently.
>>
does a f/0.95 micro four thirds lens have the same depth of field as f/1.9 on fool frame?

Equipment MakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera ModelE-M5
Camera SoftwareVersion 1.7
PhotographerPicasa
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2014:04:15 15:36:31
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length45.00 mm
Image Width3264
Image Height2743
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Unique Image ID7074e73a196248724a1149d073958f0f
>>
>>3233866
Yes.

You'd get the same results with a FF f1.9 lens.
>>
Vector camera when?
>>
File: d5500a_cooled.jpg (39 KB, 600x458)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3234159
That sounds like a lot of post processing done in the camera. You'd need a massive buffer and a beefy GPU onboard plus a cooling system.
>>
>>3228209
The 18-105 is not a good lens. Go for the 18-140 as an all-in-one if you can find one.
>>
>>3228236
Depends for what you'll be using it for.
D800 if you need the MP, more AF points, but is heavier, slower. A D700, or 3Ds are options too; but the biggest jump into FX is the lenses
>>
Is it just me, or do photos seem sharper when everything is outlined with a thin orange lens refraction?
>>
>>3232981
Photograph some people who aren't good looking but who are doing interesting things.
>>
>>3234159
Ask Lytro
>>
File: doritos.jpg (249 KB, 1600x1280)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
What filters exactly do I need to get for accurate color separation photography?
>>
>>3234487
They do pretty much the same thing Sigmas do.
>>
If you take a photo of someone and it's underexposed, what would be the difference between using a flash to get more light on their face and just just increasing the exposure in Lightroom?
>>
>>3234662
Flash allows direct, even light that can either look natural in your frame, or be used to further separate your subject from the background.

Trying to push an underexposed area in post leads to noise/artifacts pretty quickly, and if there’s no dynamic light on your subject trying to make it brighter is a poor substitute for proper lighting and exposure
>>
>>3234512
dont
>>
>>3234687
Well, at least this reply is less asinine than your comments in Petapixel.
>>
File: DSCN1708.jpg (318 KB, 1440x1080)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
why can't you use a high ISO and slow shutter speed on point-and-shoots? my camera is limited to a 15 second shutter speed at ISO 100 but gradually goes down when I bump up the ISO. Using a relatively expensive Nikon B700

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX B700
Camera SoftwareCOOLPIX B700 V1.1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Image Created2018:01:31 17:46:53
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length15.20 mm
Image Width5184
Image Height3888
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
ISO Speed Used100
Color ModeCOLOR
Image QualityFINE
White Balance5560K
Focus ModeMANUAL
ISO SelectionMANUAL
AE Bracket Compensation0.0 EV
Auto FocusCenter
Noise ReductionOFF
Image Width1440
Image Height1080
>>
What software handles Fuji raw files best?
>>
is there a thread that's best for people who are bad at photography to post in that will

A) be a good spot to get criticism
B) not take up space dedicated to actually good photos

thanks i was looking at recent photo thread but that one seems to have actually good photos in it haha
>>
>>3235495
>relatively expensive
My sweet summer child. Also trash that thing.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (57 KB, 1000x1000)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Is this the right shade of green for color separation photography? This is the only angle could find.
>>
>>3235495
Same reason as why you don't have raw in certain cameras. So they sell more expensive models. Purely and solely business decision.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (3 KB, 225x150)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
lost the function mode dial cover on my D750 (kinda looks like this), everything else works perfectly fine, except that is missing. is it easy to replace (saw a spare cover on ebay) or would I have to send it in?
>>
File: DSCN1681.jpg (314 KB, 1440x1080)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>>3235583
I see. It does have a raw or raw + jpeg mode though, but even if I set it to that it won't let me get a slow shutter speed at high ISO.

Even still it takes fairly decent pictures if you mess with the settings enough. it also has an equivalent 24-1440 mm lens that is very handy in most if not all situations. here's a better version of that last pic.

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX B700
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)33 mm
Image Created2018:01:31 17:37:47
Exposure Time1/4 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length5.90 mm
Image Width5184
Image Height3888
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
ISO Speed Used100
Color ModeCOLOR
Image QualityFINE
White Balance5560K
Focus ModeMANUAL
ISO SelectionMANUAL
Auto FocusCenter
Noise ReductionFPNR
Image Width1440
Image Height1080
>>
File: 1460575886870.jpg (174 KB, 815x1024)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Pro spots photographers:

Was at a Toronto Raptors game last night and noticed one of the photographers, who seemed like the team photographer. When he was sitting baseline during the game I couldn't help but notice it looked like he was tethered to what I'm assuming to the pressbox/editor. I figured during half time photographers would dump whatever they shot for review, but is it common to shoot tethered when possible?
>>
Why does being able to expand iso to something like 400k matter? Why would you ever shoot that high, wouldn't the image be unusable at that point?
>>
I like DX cameras. What are /p/'s thoughts on them?
>>
>>3235638
tripod anon, tripod
>>
I'd like to get some photography books so I can get an idea of different types and famous photographers. I was hoping for a variety, but especially street photography, photojournalism, and wildlife.

Any suggestions on which would be good and where I could get a good price on them?
>>
>>3236121
if you're doing pro sports, you will be expected to have shots being upped every 10 minutes during the game
>>
>>3236132
I see the use of extremely high ISO for shooting pictures of the milky way using short-ish shutter speeds so you don't get tracing.

>>3236141
If I'm shooting exposures longer than 1/4th of a second I will most likely be using a tripod
>>
>>3229784
You could cut off a piece of the film in a DR and develop it to see if it is exposed
>>
>>3236121
Common. On football matches you'll also see a lot of guys placing one of their cameras with remote behind goal or somewhere, and just winging it with the other.
>>
>>3232451
Black, most of the lenses are black only.
>>
>>3236337
>>3236257

Thought so. Makes sense.

Also noticed he had a pocket wizard on one of the bodies, but didn't see flashes anywhere.
>>
Anyone know if there's a way to remove the mode wheel on a D5200?
>>
Literally how do I deal with overblown skies? I tried slapping an ND filter on my camera, but that just gave the sky a brownish tint.
>>
File: image0111.jpg (2.82 MB, 3551x2350)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
hey, complete noob here, just got my first film revealed here and the shots were disastreus, pic related, can someone tell me what went wrong? also, is there any way it can be saved?

>>
>>3237620
Put the camera on raw and full manual mode if possible and get a tripod. For scenes demanding high dynamic range (high contrast like bright skies against shadowy buildings) you can shoot multiple exposures in a way that the darkest/least exposed image has no blown out whites and the lightest image has no pure blacks. I would usually take 3 pictures for a landscape: one where the sky looks nice and well exposed, one where the dark foreground doesn't lose any details and one intermidiate for capturing the tones in the middle. For getting good results, you want to change the shutter speed and not the aperture, and not change by much unless you are going to use more than 3 pictures. After taking all multiple exposures (and making sure they don't differ from each other apart from just exposure) you can get them to your computer and download a program that supports the making of HDR (High Dynamic Range) images. Look up "How to make HDR pictures" if you want a more in-depth anwer, but there is plenty of info on wikipedia about the essence of it with some great examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging#Examples

Of course there are cameras that do these functions automatically (AEB on canon) but I'm assuming yours doesn't. Even if it does, you'll understand the concept better if you do it all manually.
>>
is their a discord server for /p/?
>>
>>3237637
>can someone tell me what went wrong?
Vastly underexposed.

>is there any way it can be saved?
Nope; don’t underexpose so much next time.
>>
>>3237620
>Literally how do I deal with overblown skies? I tried slapping an ND filter on my camera, but that just gave the sky a brownish tint.
Get a better GND (I guess you meant graduated ND btw, cause a uniform ND affects the whole image not just the sky).
The difference between cheap NDs and more expensive ones is that the expensive ones are actually neutral while the cheap ones introduce colour casts. Not saying spend $100 on a B+W one, but for $20-30 you can find decent ones.

A graduated ND will have the most dramatic effect in saving skies from blowing. From there on there are some secondary things you can do:

1. if you're not shooting very wide lenses, you can stack a polariser on top to cut some stray light off the sky and darken it a bit

2. underexpose a bit and then mask the sky and burn in the rest in post

Also, there are things like graduated colour filters, like a graduated orange, that act like GNDs but only for the sky (and blue objects). You can stack one of those on top of your GND.

But honestly, a good GND is all you need and will make the most difference.
>>
>>3237793
*dodge the rest in post

You can burn in the sky a bit too, with newer sensors you can salvage lots of detail from raws
>>
File: Magic cloth .webm (2.58 MB, 480x268)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB WEBM
>>3237620
Use the, "Magic Cloth Technique". It is similar to using a graduated filter, only manually. Otherwise, HDR exposure stacking is needed.

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/3146/the-magic-cloth-technique/
>>
About Flickr, if I replace a photo that has been in a number of groups, will the photo get "bumped" in those groups' feeds?

I have some photos that I want to replace with new edits, but don't want to seem like I'm spamming those groups.
>>
>>3237905
I think the only way to bump your own photo is to change its date but I may be wrong.
>>
Why don't my photos come out really crisp And high resolution I have a d3300
>>
>>3237962
u haven't scribbled f/0.95 and jizzed on the glass yet
>>
>>3237812
what sorcery is this?
>>
>>3238066
Just exposing the top (or really, whatever part you want) of the image less by blocking the light with an object. Kind of pointless I guess, you can just use HDR techniques for controlled results.
>>
is there a way to play with hues on brush tool in Lightroom.
>>
>>3237793
>Not saying spend $100 on a B+W one, but for $20-30 you can find decent ones.
This is the one I own: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JL4IN50/
>>
Anyone have an f-stop chart up to 280? Or a lighmter app that doesn't stop at f64? Need it for pinhole, and google isn't very helpful.
>>
File: 9d5.png (4 KB, 20x20)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
Color film was intended to be printed in CMYK, so why do scans always turn out to be RGB?
>>
>>3238247
You need to either change t he settings yourself or get a scanner that can output CMYK file formats. The same goes for any display device you are using. You need to remember one major thing. CMYK isn't for digital. CMYK is for reflective/subtractive color. A monitor is projected light which is completely different. If you want true CMYK you can't digitize it in any manner at all.
>>
>>3238215
Like this? It's called Exposure Calculator on Android. You have up go into the settings to change the maximum values.
>>
>>3232496
>>3232451
Hipster soyboy: titanium edition
>>
>>3238353
>>3232451
>>3232496
>be wildlife photag
>everything needs to be black or camo, no shiny or bright shit at all
>>
>>3225724
Any good books on how to flash photog? I’m interested in it but as soon as I pop up the flash and even after setting EV correction, I don’t get anything aesthetic. Just dunno how to use it artistically
>>
File: 86QbA8U.png (390 KB, 1262x710)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>3231798
>tfw clicked yes on those helper thingies and now i'm in the double digits

help, i'm just a snapshitter that doesn't deserve to go over 5 likes
>>
>>3227187
Makes sense. Your first comparison it seemed that you were more than 2 f stops open from f/5.6 but it clearly wasn’t a full 3. Keep posting the dream lens pics because I’m close to Caving and ripping open a Helios 44 to do similarly.
>>
>>3238361
Have you moved your flash off your camera?
>>
where is chosis?
>>
>>3238499
who cares, tripfaggot
>>
What should I have the fn button on the D7000 do?
>>
>>3238351
Already had the app but didn't know I could increase max aperture. Much obliged anon!
>>
>>3238522
Virtual Horizon, Bracketing; whatever you end up changing a lot and wish to make easier to access
>>
>>3238502
i care anonfag. memes are not as nice without him
>>
>>3238522
Have it format your SD card
>>
What determines if something is snapshit or not?
>>
is there a way to shoot bracket exposures with 1 button on a 2 sec delay on the sony a6x00 cameras
>>
File: gh5.jpg (117 KB, 470x353)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
I'm interested in getting my first camera, primarily for shooting video and a little photography on the side. If I've got the money, is it a bad Idea to start out with the gh5?

Or should I just start out with something cheaper to begin with? After doing some research it seems like the GH5 would be able to do most the things I want (4k/60FPS). Is it always necessary for beginners to start on a cheaper camera?

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Macintosh)
Image Width2400
Image Height1800
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image Created2017:01:04 13:53:29
Image Width2400
Image Height1800
>>
>>3238653
>first camera
>GH5
go straight to the GH5S. you'll learn more that way.
>>
>>3238653
>>3238665
Save the money and go GH1 with some nice lenses. You don't need 4k
>>
>>3238611
The person viewing it determines that from their own opinion. Like how they like one dragon dildo over another.
>>
File: DSC_2097d.jpg (484 KB, 1024x2072)
484 KB
484 KB JPG
I've been learning about how bokeh and diffraction spikes are created by the various hardware & settings your lens has and can do. I was testing out a lens using some extension tubes and back-lit glitter dust just to see what it would do. With this lens I notice a few things. The foreground looks like typical orb-shaped bokeh, but the background looks like diffraction spikes; both are outside the DOF of course. In photos of bright points of light, like a street light that is within the DOF, the light turns into a big round bokeh diffraction "spike". It makes it so that the in-focus lights look out of focus. This is very apparent in long nighttime exposures in cities. Things outside the DOF in the background have a hazy milky appearance, but the foreground doesn't. Basically, the foreground has better contrast and sharpness than the background.

Is there a term for the difference in way the foreground and background outside the DOF are so different in how they are out of focus? I've been trying to research this, but I'm not finding anything specific enough to help me gain more understanding about it.

>example pics

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Image Created2018:02:08 13:41:08
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Image Width1024
Image Height667
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3238672
>You don't need 4k

>The year is 2024, there are no TVs on the market that aren't at least 4k, 8k is common
>There are still Canon fags coming into /p/ claiming you don't need 4k for video
>>
>>3239045
You can buy a few 4k monitors and stack them to make a 16k super monitor.
>>
>>3238653
You can't go wrong with it, just take a look at om-d 1 II as well.
>>
>>3235528
What do you mean? Just use Lightroom or Photoshop.
>>
File: ilford-hp5-plus.jpg (15 KB, 400x400)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
am I making an error in judgment thinking that there's no reason to use film other than for art school? if there are benefits I can't think of any
>>
>>3239103
do what you feel anon. its just a tool to get the kinda shot you want
>>
>>3239103
isn’t film b&w vastly superior to digital if exposed correctly?
>>
>>3239103
Film has a higher dynamic range than most digital cameras. Expensive digital cameras will be better though.
>>
>>3229039

Correct.
>>
>>3230999
QQ more faggot
>>
>>3231576
>d stuck on av mode i
At least it's Av and not Auto. Av is workable.
>>
>>3239266
I would guess it's a simple fix but you risk disabling the camera and having to give it to a professional anyway.
>>
>>3239103
No reason to use it, other than a desire to use it. Film is fun.
>>
>>3238611
The photographer and skill thereof.

If what you meant to ask was "What differentiates between a good photo and a snapshot" the answer is skill- angle, bokeh, good light, composition, framing and all the other standards of good photography are almost always missing in snapshots

>>3239103
These days there's no benefit. I suppose you could argue price in some cases.

>>3229039
Depends entirely on the tripod and camera. Any medium-good tripod will include a hang hook
>>
>>3239113
Technically it wins in resolution and doesn't have a bad dynamic range, but since you have to scan it anyways it loses overall as far as I know.

Anyways, the process of developing film by yourself and taking it slow seems pretty enjoyable and comfy, just liike large format photography.

As a question, what are some good, cheap lenses in the 100-300mm range? Are the Pentacon 135mm f/2.8 and SMC Takumar 200mm f/4 any good?
>>
File: 41D4KCXGT0L.jpg (26 KB, 500x400)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Looking for a rec for a camera.. I've had this entry level Canon Rebel since my graduation in 05, it's been good to me over the years, but it's dying on me.

Is it worth it grab another Canon and still be able to reuse this lens?

What kind of DSLR and lens would ya'll suggest for portrait shots and/or for light box pictures? Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, since my camera is from 05 literally anything from the past couple years will be miles better.

If both lens and body can be had for under $1k used or new, that would be tight.
>>
File: DSC_2225b.jpg (274 KB, 673x350)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
I was out trying to get some star pics. What are these twin spots of light all over the image? And why are they double?

Camera ModelNIKON D3400
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Color Filter Array Pattern858
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Image Created2018:02:09 20:23:44
Exposure Time116 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length55.00 mm
Image Width673
Image Height350
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSCN1890.jpg (190 KB, 1440x1080)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>3239601
Stars appear to move in the sky because of the Earth's rotation. Long exposures make this more evident.

Equipment MakeNIKON
Camera ModelCOOLPIX B700
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image Created2018:02:03 00:06:09
Exposure Time25 sec
F-Numberf/3.3
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.30 mm
Image Width5184
Image Height3888
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Color ModeCOLOR
Image QualityFINE
White BalanceAUTO
Focus ModeAF-S
ISO SelectionAUTO
Auto FocusSingle Area, Top Selected, Center Focused
Scene ModeM.EXP.LIGHTEN
Noise ReductionOFF
Image Width1440
Image Height1080
>>
>>3239656
That has nothing to with the twin dots. The streaks are the stars. There's a ton of twin dots.
>>
>>3239584
All used.

Nikon D3300 ($350)
Nikon 85mm f1.8 FX ($350)
Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX ($150)
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di (Avoid VC $200)

$1050
>>
>>3225756
A touch screen.
>>
>>3238653
Beginners shouldn't start with 4k. That's my opinion anyways. File sizes are huge, and you need a pretty decent computer to process 10 minutes.
>>
I recently got a Ricoh KR-10 (based on the Cosina CT1, Canon T60, Nikon FM10, Olympus OM1) and the shutter is stuck, but only when on specific speed settings. It works on bulb (hold the button and then release); the mirror flips, the shutter opens as long as specified, closes, and the mirror returns. On setting ‘X’ (not sure if it’s common, so just in case it’s like an automatic version of bulb that doesn’t hold the shutter open with the button), it does the same thing.

The shutter doesn’t return on any other speed settings, nor the auto shutter speed setting. It’ll flip the mirror, but the shutter doesn’t open, and the the mirror will not return.

I’ve tried messing with the ISO setting just in case, rewinded/winded some film, etc, and everything advances and works fine except actually taking pics.

The camera is in very clean condition (stored in my house by my pedantic father), and I can’t see any gunk.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
>>
>>3239713

Bad capacitor?
>>
>>3239730
Not sure, I’m a total beginner. I think this camera is nearly entirely mechanical, would a bad capacitor stop function on the non-manual but not automatic shutter speeds?
>>
>>3239713
>>3239730
Got it sorted, bad connection at the battery terminals.
>>
>>3225724
Will a camera still flash if there's no film in it?
Trying to work out if mine is broken
>>
Every gear picture I stumble across on instagram is some pleb with his sony camera. What the fuck is the go with this? Just the cheapest you can buy?
>>
I have an opportunity to make a big reinvestment in my system in the next couple months. I'm a Nikon shooter currently, but I'm going to replace almost all my lenses. Long story. The camera I wouldn't be replacing is a D810.

Currently the plan is to go with a Nikon D850, I have one pre-ordered since they're on back-order.

However, I have this feeling that now is the time if there ever will be a time to get into Leica. Instead of the D850 I could go for like a used M-240 or equivalent. Lens-wise, probably a 35 or 50 cron and a sack full of fun Voigtlanders to round out the system.

Am I crazy? Is this a bad plan? Should I just stick to my Nikons? I do love'em and I occasionally do short films, where the 850's 4K capabilities would really help me out. With a Leica I'd have to get a Sony or Panasonic and adapters to do video.
>>
>>3239668
What's wrong with VC?
>>
Stupid film question:

When pushing film, do I literally just tell the lightmeter I'm using 1600 film when I'm really using 400 for example And then develop for whatever needed for 1600?
>>
>>3239601
Hot spots due to long exposure. Try making more, shorter exposures and then photomerging in post.
>>
>>3239601
Do you have a filter on your lens? Take it off.
>>
>>3239855
Yeah
>>
which is the cheapest site to develop 120 with
>>
>>3240000
No.

>>3239958
Yeah, but why are they twin dots instead of single dots?
>>
>>3239799
ever used a leica before?
>>
>>3240004
ebay:
patterson tank
changing bag
thermometer
chemicals
>>
Another camera rec question.

I've learned a lot using a Canon T2i for about 7 years now, have 50mm 1.8, 18-55 kit and 55-250mm lenses. I'm confused as to whether I should go for a mirrorless or a DSLR for my next one. I want to experiment with videos as well, but 4K dslrs are fucking expensive, but I've also seen that most good mirrorless cameras are great for video but not as good for photos. Budget would be about 1000-1300 USD. I'm willing to go for used if I get a great deal. Any suggestions?
>>
Do you need a property release for an exterior shot of an abandoned building?
>>
Is there any way to lightly deconstruct a D5200?

Somehow my liveview lever got stuck to my mode wheel and I'd really love for that not to happen.
>>
>>3240018
Yeah, an M6 and a M8 my roommate had. Loved shooting film with it. The M8... ehhhhhhhhh. A full frame digileica would be pretty tits. I think I've come back around to the practical point of view that the Nikon system is way cheaper, way more flexible, and will give me what I need. Someday man, someday. I'd love an M10 but fuck me if I'm paying $6k USED for one.

Looking at maybe getting the 20mm and 28mm Voigtlander pamcaeks for the Nikon to join my 40mm in thin-town. Been a while since I had a bag full of tiny primes.
>>
How strict is B&H's used quality scale? I'm used to buying jap stuff where they'd mark it as damaged if a corner of the box is bent
>>
So I'm torn between two cameras, and it boils down to 16mp vs 24mp. Will I see the difference in full photo, without extensive cropping? I really like sharp details but I'm not sure is it worth it.
>>
>>3240305

I haven't used b&h but I did buy two exc lenses from Keh.

One had a huge spot of fungus the size of my thumbnail.

The other has numbers carved into the side.

I have avoided Keh since. Why would you buy from there when they refuse to show you images of the actual product? Every ebay listing has those.
>>
Will this work?

Equipment MakeIntel Corporation
Camera ModelUNI_OV5648
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)1 mm
Horizontal Resolution2560 dp
Vertical Resolution1440 dp
Image Created2018:02:11 10:05:31
Exposure Time131/100000 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating34
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length100.00 mm
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
What’s the best focal length for c i n e m a t i c shots?
>>
>>3240585
>>
>>3240845
Do you mean 24fps? 24mm is wide as fuck and not really cinematic.
>>
>>3240909
The fuck. Wide is The Ultimate for cinematic shots.
>>
>>3240937
How will you get that warm, creamy, jizzy bokeh at 24? You need some telephoto compression to make it cinematic.
>>
Why do lenses have a switch to turn off IS? What reason would you ever have for turning it off?
>>
>>3240962
Fucking pleb. Why would you fill your screen with blur instead of interesting content? Watch better movies.
>>
>>3240967
>Why do lenses have a switch to turn off IS? What reason would you ever have for turning it off?
1. The main reason is for tripod use. Some IS systems in lenses will actually give you worse quality if the camera's already on the tripod. I don't know the actual reason for this, although I can hazard a guess.
2. There is a bit of a battery life cost. Not huge by any means, but might be significant in a pinch.
>>
>>3240967
IS is not needed on a tripod, and can in some cases even reduce sharpness. It also drains battery. So, if you're snapping away on a bright sunny day with a wide angle lens, just turn off the IS.
>>
>>3239784
Sony is at the forefront of Mirrorless and produce the best value for money of any company just now. The a6000 is perfect for beginners, youtube stars and bloggers in particular because it's extremely wide range, mirrorless and fairly good for video. It also plays nice with instagram

>>3240020
>I've also seen that most good mirrorless cameras are great for video but not as good for photos
That's true of any camera, or vice versa. That said, mirrorless is usually the opposite- the least amount of compromises for both

>>3240139
You don't even need them for occupied buildings

>>3240331
>16mp vs 24mp. Will I see the difference
Not for most circumstances.
>I really like sharp details but I'm not sure is it worth it.
Spend more on your lenses, worry about resolution less.

Also depends if you're shooting crop factor, full, etc but generally unless you're shooting 1.6 crop factor or above you're not going to care about the resolution as much as you are the lens quality for a while. Unless you're printing or doing composites, panoramas, etc
>>
Anyone have experience using an on-camera speedlight for daylight fill flash? Is it generally pleasant and effective, or is it much better to use off-camera/softbox setups for outdoor portraits?
>>
>>3225724
I bought an old a nikon f-301 and i'm trying to load film into it as according to the manual, but when i press the shutterbutton the indicator buzzer, gives off a long beep followed by several short beeps, followed by another long beep, and the film hasn't advanced at all. can someone help me?
>>
>>3240962
If you pay close attention to films they rarely use such a shallow dof as many people do with stills, and they tend to stick with the same aperture for most shots, gives it more continuity.
>>
File: TQ22M.jpg (52 KB, 500x395)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Best phone for video?
>>
>>3241088
It's fine, but off-camera is strictly better
>>
Hi /p/, im not a photographer or want to get into photography at all, but what is the sturdiest camera one can get? one you can bring through war and hell and still survive.
Quality or Size is not a problem, i just need a SHTF camera.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.