[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1359944254563.jpg (36 KB, 409x409)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Sup /p/

I'm sure I'm missing something here but I can't find what I need on google.

I recently was given an OM-1n and I'm just shooting random shit to learn how to use it.

The light-meter is working (new battery, etc.) however I'm just trying to shoot a picture of my clock on the wall roughly 12 feet away from me.

I have my aperture at f/2.8, my shutter speed at 1/60, and I'm shooting ISO 400 film and my ASA is set to that.

My light meter is saying every photo will be underexposed and I can't figure out why.

I have the light on my ceiling fan on and the room is plenty bright.

What am I missing here?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width409
Image Height409
>>
>>3241946

Just to add to this.. with normal aperture/iso settings, the only thing that makes the light meter balance is switching my shutter speed to 1 second which seems fucking retarded
>>
>>3241946
Do you have a digital camera lying around to compare settings with? That's the easiest way to test the light meter.

OM-1s use mercury batteries that aren't available any more, if you just put in a modern V357 / SR44 / etc without voltage adapter or modification to the camera it will somewhat skew the metering. Don't know if that's the problem.
>>
>>3241946
>I have the light on my ceiling fan on and the room is plenty bright.
"Plenty bright" for your eyes is not usually gonna be bright enough for film. The reason it's saying you're underexposed is because at night, a ceiling fan light is not enough light to expose properly at ISO 400, 1/60th, f/2.8.
>>
>>3241946
>My light meter is saying every photo will be underexposed and I can't figure out why.
Because the camera is terribly better than you at measuring light intensity.

Your eyes adjust to dark conditions and are easily filled by artificial lights and also depending on the light colour.

Unless you used the work battery or got a faulty meter, trust the meter.
Have you tried it outside in sunny weather and compare to sunny 16? You can also use a lightmeter app on your phone to double check that the meter is working properly.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.