[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

File deleted.
Where exactly do I start with photography? Should I just walk around my area and take pictures? I have an old DSLR my dad gave me, and have been wanting to get into photography, but I honestly don't know where to fucking begin. How do I start gitting gud? I need a fucking hobby.
>>
Photography is a great hobby, and can lead to many other things.

For starters, do you have any knowledge of photography at this point? Shutter speed, aperture, ISO, composition rules, etc. If you don't know these there's plenty to be found on the internet. Youtube has many tutorials and shit. Start here, understand how a camera works.

As for what to photograph, start by looking online at the "classics". Magnum photographers, TIME magazine's greatest photos, numerous photo blogs. See what others have done and copy it. Shoot how they shoot.
>>
File: Doggo limiters released.jpg (91 KB, 1024x1024)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>3241976
Pretty much no knowledge outside of reading my camera's manual. I will start looking into Youtube videos. Are there any good websites solely dedicated to photography?
>>
>>3241965
>>3241977
A mode is best mode
>>
just go outside and take photos. use whatever settings you feel comfortable with, but in the long run you should be able to shoot on manual.
>>
Also read the manual for your camera
>>
take pictures of everything you find cool, post them online, get destroyed by armchair photographers, begin doubting yourself, give up, play videogames
>>
>>3241965
>Should I just walk around my area and take pictures?
Pretty much this.
>>
I just told my employer that my hobby is photography, while I haven't gone out taking pictures in 4 years.
>>
Start taking pictures, watch youtube videos. Start on auto, learn about shutter speed, ISO, and aperture, then try to move to manual. Gonna take some time, but it's worth it. Also, look at other people's pictures for ideas and inspiration.
>>
>>3241965
your camera doesn't matter, learn basic exposure

don't waste much time on technical stuff, learn stuff that's useful for your personal style

skim through magnum photographers portfolios here https://www.magnumphotos.com/photographers/

look at william eggleston's work

try to tell what good composition, lighting and color is

don't trust youtube photographers they're all shit, no exceptions

find out what branch of photography suits your taste, and develop it
>>
>>3241965
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0995632405/
>>
>>3242224
William Eggleston’s work is not a good example to give a newbie. He’s a bad photographer whose photos are literally indistinguishable from an amateur’s. By his own admission, he can’t tell the difference between a good photo and a bad one and he shoots accordingly.
>>
>>3242434
dude, he's just the photographer everyone has been copying for 50 years
>>
File: zzzz.jpg (456 KB, 845x577)
456 KB
456 KB JPG
>>3242723
I'm just passing by and looked up his pics: I pity him if he ever was to post in /rpt/ and face /p/'s critique.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1366
Image Height768
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
Image Created2018:02:15 18:05:50
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width845
Image Height577
>>
>>3242729
/p/ is no authority in the art world, actually /p/ is clueless most of the time
but
/rpt/ is just pure shit

there aren't informed posters here anymore and the few left don't bother
>>
>>3242729
>>3242761
his aesthetic only worked 20 years ago because it was exotic and photography was still rather costly
but not anymore
>>
>>3242855
>his aesthetic only worked 20 years ago because it was exotic and photography was still rather costly
It wasn't exotic 20 (actually 42--his MOMA show was in 1976) years ago either. The main complaint about it was that it was just fuckin' snapshots, because that's literally what it was.

http://www.nytimes.com/1976/05/28/archives/art-focus-on-photo-shows.html

It was only exotic if you were used to looking at work by good photographers instead of Joe Random's First Roll Of 35mm. All of his photos look like what someone would take on their first day excited to play with the Digital Rebel they just bought. Not "snapshot aesthetic but you can see a deeper understanding of color and composition in them" but literally just "snapshots". If you look through his portfolios, a really good curator (e.g., Szarkowski) can pull a decent show out of it, but that's no indication that his work has any value, just an indication that photography is an art that you can potentially do well by accident every once in a while.
>>
>>3241965
>First of all go out, shoot and try to explore what your camera can do. (Don't forget to save RAW files, they might be intimidating at first but very useful for later.)
>There are some good channels / videos on YT from basics to really interesting stuff, but never hold anything they say as an unbreakable rule.
>Youtubers and /p/hags alike tend to be obsessed with gear and brands, technical background and capabilities matter, brand and the expensiveness of your camera really doesn't. (Once in a while you see 16 year olds with A7RIII's and expensive glass worth more than cars whining about how shit it is because they cant use them at all.)
>Watermarking your pictures as a beginner is one of the worst offenses for a beginner, no one wants to steal your shit, but it makes you look like a child.
>FFS please don't start an XY Photography page for yourself after your first dozen pictures.
>Have fun.
>>
>>3243093
>I don't understand what greentext is for.
>>
>>3243112
this
>>
>>3241965
Bring it everyday with you and practice desu.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.