[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 9 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Post your favorite journalism photo and its history. Also discuss photojournalism.

> World War I, british army (don't have any more infos on this photo but I find it very "cool").
>>
Kuwait, got no more info, but I Love this.
>>
>>3309938
Type 69-II tank of the Iraqi 3rd Armoured division 1991 (Desert Storm).

Looks in serviceable condition, but the hatch is open and the basket is empty, so I suspect it ran out of fuel in the open and was abandoned.
>>
>>3309938
>>3310023

I live the "Ray knight was here" on the side of the tank.

> Cuba on the Edge of Change. Members of the Ejercito Juvenil Trabajo wait along the road to Santiago de Cuba at dawn for Fidel Castro's caravan.

Would have done it in B&W but still a powerful image

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width1000
Image Height668
>>
File: 1496633470050.jpg (61 KB, 501x501)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
I always wonder how they got the shots they did in film between the 70s and 90s considering the options are "Take it now", "take it now and hope you have an electric winder" and "burst mode that will eat the roll in 2 seconds". It makes me wonder what they missed when I look at good shots.

Camera SoftwarePicasa
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width501
Image Height501
Unique Image ID2321dc4f6c60b09f0000000000000000
>>
>>3310055
Get this book, it's crammed with awesome shots.
>>
>>3310067
send pdf, we really need an artbook thread. It's the saving grace of /ic/.
>>
File: ayhnuUM.png (1.81 MB, 1256x832)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PNG
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/07/world/asia/rodrigo-duterte-philippines-drugs-killings.html

>Neighbors said Michael Araja, 29, was killed by two men riding by on a motorbike, like so many of the other victims.

Being fairly young at about 17 when this article came out, this photo essay was really the first one I ever read and it massively impacted me. I'd seen plenty of photos and videos of people dying, but this was really one of the first times I saw it through the eyes of a professional photographer. Seeing the photos and the stories the held, really took my interest in photography from just Nat Geo type landscapes and nature shots, and propelled it towards photojournalists capturing stories in their photos like lightning in a bottle.
You might not like the photos or agree with the article, but this is one of my favorites, soley because it opened my eyes up to what I wanted to photograph and why.

As a brief aside, does anyone here have tips on shooting for, or writing a photo essay? Or really any other photojournalist related tips and info?
Over the summer I'm going to be interviewing, and shooting photos of, homeless and transients in my city, since we currently have a lot of them. I'm really excited about the project, especially as I used to work at homeless shelters a lot; I met so many people there that had so many amazing stories, but no one who'd listen to them. Any advice on this undertaking would be greatly appreciated, and I'm open to anything and everything you might have to offer.

Oh and one last thing, if you guys know of any good textbooks/books on photography that would help me out on this or just in general, that'd be huge. I've gotten a good bit of experience shooting, but I'd say I'm still a novice at best.
>>
>>3310073
I've always wondered why we don't have one. Those threads on /ic/ are probably the best/most helpful aspect of that entire board.
>>
>>3310079
Sally Mann's artbook may or may not come with an investigation in some states, the trial will be bullshit unless you have other shit to hide though. That's the only reason I can think of. We should start one. All I have are ancient artbooks that are better for photog than basic photography guides, but I can find some shit if I put my mind to it and make a burner for mega.
>>
>>3310055
>hope you have an electric winder
We did
>eat the roll in 2 seconds
Not quite that fast, you anticipate the action and shoot 8-10 at a time. We also used to carry an awful lot of film.
>>
>>3310084
Tell me more, I was a filmfag with an AE-1 right when shit went digital and was way too goddamn expensive.

All I know is the F1 and F3 from Canikon, but I know nuts were hauling medium format.
>>
>>3310086
>*burgeoning filmfag
I was already hooked on the darkroom long before, but my highshool class was the last to do film for photography class, for reference.
>>
>>3310084
What was the price of a 36exp color negative back then?
>>
>>3310082
I know that at least I'd really appreciate anything you could dig up. I'm afraid I don't have much to offer, except for maybe some architecture books I have but I don't have a very good way to scan them in and I'm not about to dissect the binding in order to scan them in properly.
>>
File: 0190203115.jpg (577 KB, 896x1280)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
>>3310093
List some books and I'll hunt around. I don't really know photogs the way I do 19th century painters and 20th century shin hanga artists. Also my previous hunts weren't so successful but that was years ago.
>>
File: 1434293918438.jpg (55 KB, 636x494)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>3310100
>>3310093
I'll start this project mostly singlehanded but you have to help with what to look for and some of the finds.
>>
>>3310100
Hmm, well I'm not really sure what to ask for, since I've not really done much research into photography books, or even photographers who might have good books for that matter (in fact I'm >>3310074 which is to say, I'm rather inexperienced in photography, especially in the technical sense). If I may ask, where, if anywhere, are you planning to look for the books? I was thinking about checking some of the ebook IRC channels but I wasn't sure if they'd have much in the way of photography.

Btw, have you ever posted any books on those artists in /ic/? If so, I'll have to take a closer look at the collection in those threads.
>>
>>3310103
I'm exceedingly busy for the next two days as I finish off finals, but immediately after this Friday I can put a lot of time into this. I've got a lot of experience finding junk on the internet, so I should be able to help quite a bit.
>>
>>3310107
That's where I was going to hunt books along with some other places. I'm going to hunt /ic/ for photo books along with looking for /p/level shit in the archives and elsewhere and then some generally decent books that I find. Then making a thread and going from there.
>>
>>3310109
Email in options doesn't work anymore, fug. Anyway, yeah keep this thread going and I'll hunt whatever anyone recs because I have time the next week or so and we can make a thread for the real shit so there's less bullshit.
>>
File: Nuclear-Pizza-Lunch.jpg (65 KB, 600x445)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
I like this one. Italian forces dropping 'La Pasta', one of strongest atomic bombs ever built. The test was a success inside the Atomic Warehouse Facility.
>>
Another neat one:
Japanese Imperial Samurai after the behead of strong warrior who said 'Anime girls aren't real girlfriends'.
The Japanese are still very into dating 2D qts.
>>
File: IMG_20180611_121656.jpg (170 KB, 1971x1305)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>3310117
>Yoooooooh!
>>
File: NGC_.MCCULLIN-L1.56-b.jpg (127 KB, 507x750)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Soldier in PTSD after seeing your mom's full Bush.

Equipment MakePhase One
Camera ModelH 20
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:01:15 16:33:13
ISO Speed Rating50
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width660
Image Height975
>>
File: 1486851895384.jpg (220 KB, 746x500)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
the symbol of Women's fight for be treated like human beings in some sand hell hole. We still don't know if she moved to Sweden or got stoned.
>>
File: canonblood.jpg (106 KB, 960x644)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
The remains of a Canonfag after the drop of Sony A7III, the mother all the cameras. Nikon and Fuji remains are still unknown.
Pentax is still eating glue somewhere.
>>
>>3310113
Shoot an email over to freezingfiregames @ gmail
It's an ancient email of mine that I registered for who knows why, but now it's a great little throwaway. This way we can actually organize it in some form.
>>
>>3310131
Sent. Let's do something at the very least.
>>
File: pieta.jpg (177 KB, 2250x1500)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>3310107
Duterte's war on drugs does seem to produce many eye-catching photos
>>
>>3310090
No idea. Most people I knew just shot slide film. But that was early 80's. The news guys still shot B/W because it had to be transmitted over the wires.

I used to buy 50 -100 rolls at at time and usually had a stash of both Fujichrome 100 and Ektachrome 100. I would also have some rolls of Velvia 50 on hand and Ektachrome tungsten 160. I also used both 35mm and 6x7.

E6 processing was around US$2.50-ish per roll, pushing was 50% more. I seem to recall processing was slightly less than buying a single roll but don't quote me on that.

>>3310084
I used a canon F1 with a Metz potato masher (CT45 or something similar)

I never did wars or anything, demos, festivals and press conferences mostly and portraits on the 6x7.

Later when I was getting back into travel I used two cheaper, plastic bodies. Eos was around by then and they were much lighter than the F1s
>>
>>3310882
second part of that was meant for >>3310088

I accidentally samefagged
>>
File: 257 -.png (2 KB, 169x177)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>3310079
there used to be a 4chan FTP with a photo book section
>pic related is roughly a third of its contents

but its been down ever since someone found it funny to share the access on other sites and then spam the server and its directories with CP.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.