[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 14 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: serveimage.jpg (106 KB, 1600x900)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
Optical or sensor stabilization for stills?
>>
>>3309914
Both.
>>
A good hand and knowledge how to avoid it.
>>
>>3309930
Good luck with your boring photos.
>>
>>3309939
pump the ISO, open the aperture, and raise the shutter speed. you should know how to avoid shakings :)
>>
File: IStest_300mm_IS_on.gif (12 KB, 528x459)
12 KB
12 KB GIF
>>3309914
Sensor IS for normal and wide lenses, since efficiency is not super important (one rarely needs 1/2s handheld exposures) and non-IS lenses can be made smaller and cheaper.
Dual IS for telephoto lenses, since you want maximum efficiency here and sensor IS doesn't work too well for long telephotos.
>>
>>3309942
ISO 100 or less. If you want hipster film grain, do it on your own time, kid.
>>
>>3309942
Yeah, enjoy having to bump up to ISO 800+ with a telephoto lens once the weather gets a bit cloudy.
>>
>>3309920
this

also:
optical is almost always 2 axis (two-way shift) whereas sensor is almost alway 5-axis (2way shift, 2way tilt and one rotation)
Sensor is more important and powerful
>>
>>3309954
>>3309962

learn how to photography. At this point you guys are just gearfagging /p/
>>
Physical.

Optical and sensor image stabilization rob you of sharpness even at relatively fast shutter speeds and are a total meme at this point.
>>
>>3309970
nice counter-argument, faglord.

if you actually shot with telephoto lenses you'd know why nobody wants non-IS ones anymore.
>>
>>3309976
>Optical IS is not physical
>Sensor-shift IS is not physical

Dude what

>rob you of sharpness

Observably and measurably false.
>>
>>3309979

I was talking about a tripod, brainlet.

And

>Observably and measurably false.

Okay. https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/08/19/stabilisation-is-good-but-only-up-to-a-point/
>>
>>3309977
>you'd know why nobody wants non-IS

just spotted the canon fag. btw, VR takes your sharpness away. learn how to handle your camera properly.
>>
>>3309993
>VR takes your sharpness away

So does high ISO.
>>
>>3309994
yeah, you're truly a Canon fag. amazing.
>>
>>3310004
What does someone's preference of manufacturer have to do with how wrong you've been ITT?
>>
>>3309977
The old Canon 400 f5.6 is still one of the more popular lenses amongst the hardcore birding crowd, just saying.
>>
>>3310015
because you clearly have problems with ISO. Even Sony has already got away with it
>>
>>3309977
>if you actually shot with telephoto lenses you'd know why nobody wants non-IS ones anymore.

I've spent more time with non-IS and IS telephoto lenses with the IS engaged/disengaged than you ever will.

What now, bitch?
>>
>>3309977
I use a non IS 300mm on APS-C, sensor shift stabilization. Nothing to worry about, mate.
>>
>>3310028
Because people own them. Stab is getting thrown out of the equation at 1000sec anyway for birbing. But stab is better. No questions about that.
>>
>>3310135
Ibis stab is so insane that I could run a shitty adapter on my MFT and get better pix than some fag with a better camera. I might be hitting pecereptual megapix of like 11 and can still beat the full frames with those lenses., But then I drink so I bought it because of IBIS so I can get pics in the morning and shoot 2 seconds handheld in the dark.
>>
>>3309914
I've been thinking aboout stabilization over the last year or so (I only do stillls).

I have a tight budget so when I wanted to upgrade my kit lens I ended up getting an older, slightly faster lens with better optics and build quality (non VR). For low light I have fast primes. I would like a fast wide prime with VR but... they don't exist really and would be expensive if they did.

The only lens I have now with stabilization is a 70-300mm. I believe the system works at around 300Hz so avoid shutter speeds around this number to avoid the smear/double image that can sometimes occur.

For me the main advantage of VR on long lenses is the effect in the viewfinder with erratic subjects. A super sharp photo of a birbs foot isn't as impressive as the wingspan filling the frame with a little softness (inb4 git gud).

tl;dr VR/IS is cool. If it's not cool just switch it off.
>>
>>3310139
>pecereptual megapix
Hi Tony :)
>>
>>3310149
Get a body that does it and use shit lenses.
>>
>>3310183
but i got a d7000 senpai desu is good yes?
>>
>>3310196
I'm not going to pretend mirrorless is great but the feature gap is painful in spite of all the flaws.
>>
"VR is bad" is the hottest of photography takes

dude probably shows up in video threads with "4k is softer than 1080p here this blog proves it"
>>
>>3310209
did you read the thread name? STILLS
>>
>>3310209

But vr is bad.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.