[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: dumbo-1974.jpg (54 KB, 800x532)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
sup everyone
Anyone can recommend me some books about photo/visual composition in general?
It seems like this is the best place to ask for something like this. I'm really interested in learning more about how to use space on a frame, whether it's film, pictures or paintings. Preferably a book i could get from amazon
>>
The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman and How to read a photograph by Ian Jeffrey are two books I always recommend.
>>
My guy there isn’t some magical book out there that you’ll read and suddenly understand composition. Most of them are fluff written by guys searching for something to write about. The truth is, composition is too fluid and too random to be taught in a rigid, formulaic manner. What are you hoping that it will teach you? Stand sixteen feet away from the building, move camera up to six feet, aim down 35 degrees and wait for sunset? Here’s everything that every composition book will teach you:

Don’t put stuff in the center, unless you want to. Crouch more often, learn his perspective works and how focal length can be used to amplify its effect.

The rest of that stuff is just being a naturally gifted artist, unfortunately. You were either born with it or you weren’t.
>>
>>3310293
great pasta
>>
File: image.jpg (1.19 MB, 1920x1080)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>3310284
Books can’t help you anon, but a few hits of acid, some mescaline or some dmt will help you understand composition, and give you ideas of creative photos you can snap.

That or look at what other famous photographers did for some inspiration but don’t copy use their work as a spring board to create something new.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height1080
>>
>>3310301
I’d like to add some yummy mushrooms to my list of things you can use to increase your creativity and understanding of composition.
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 480x581)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>3310284
Learn about the Golden Ratio and Golden Spiral that should help you photograph most of the stuff in nature.

Image Width480
Image Height581
>>
adam marelli's talks are a great resource for learning composition
https://youtu.be/QoGICG3UmUQ
>>
>>3310284
>taking the most cliche shot in my city
>don't even frame the correct skyscrapper between the bridges trusses that even the tourists get right
>>
>>3310354
What about exploiting /p/ from your city?
>>
Hopefully you'll find a reasonably priced one.
>>
>>3310293
Yeah, I think it's like most things. You learn by doing it. For instance I went to a fireworks show last year thinking I could pull it off with what little I knew about photography so far but none of the photos turned out well. So I read a book on night photography, particularly the parts about fireworks, and now know what I'll do differently next time. It just takes years of that, trial and error, failure and success, to become halfway decent.
>>
>put things in the center
or
>put things kinda to the right or to the left
Thas it mane
>>
>>3310512
The main thing is consistency or patterns in a series of work. Juxtaposition, putting two things that don’t really go together such as a sperg and a chad, can also work.

Just test stuff out and see what you like. Or look at other artists/photographers you admire and see what they do.
>>
>>3310538
>The main thing is consistency or patterns in a series of work.
This. The rest this guy said is meaningless. But this is the main thing.
>>
>>3310301
don't pay attention to this dumbass, that will ruin you for life.
>>
>>3310569
Not him, but psychedelics won't ruin your life. They're not addictive like meth or heroin. I think he's saying they give a change of perspective on things, which is valuable in photography.
>>
>>3310576
>talking out of my ass
>reading comprehension
I should have clarified, they will ruin your creativity.
only correct answer it thread: >>3310469
>>
>>3310284

If you wanna learn abut composition, look at the works of Fan Ho (Ho Fan).

Pay attention to shapes created by the way he arranged people or objects.

Look close, take your time. Find the shapes, try to understand how he worked out the light, try to imagine what position he was in when he took the shots. Try to realize how he must have looked at the world around him to be able to take those shots.

And always pay attention to the light. Light is always the most important thing.

Then, go out and try to reproduce a picture you particularly liked. Don't expect to instantly nail it - take your time. Look at the picture you took and the one you wanna mimic. Try to find out what you need to change to come closer to what you wanna do.

Following these steps will make you understand shapes, light and how you have to move and perceive in the world as a photographer.

It is a skill that is learned by doing. Don't expect to just read a magical book and suddenly be able to be a master.

Perfection takes practice. If you wanna be really good at something, you have to put in 10.000 hours, so they say.

Keep trying, don't be afraid to make mistakes, because you will learn the most from them.

Just my two cents.
>>
Any recommended reading/viewing for portrait photography?
>>
>>3310685
avedon
>>
>>3310581
>they will ruin your creativity.
Psychedelics only ruin your creativity if you are using them way too much.
>>
>>3310711
Everything adds up eventually. Start in the twenties and you've toasted mind in the thirties. I know of many cases. A little grass, psichadelics, nothing else. Brilliant minds, now they're fried. Anything effecting mind should be avoided at all cost. Experimenting a little, probably near harmless. Habitual use, honestly, stay the fuck away. Alco's got the same effect, maybe slower time frame, and it's less permanent, but harmful nonetheless. Curiously, I've never seen anything mind altering from tobacco smokers. It's addicting, has other health concerns, but at least it seam not to be effecting brains harmfully.
>>
>>3310726
That’s because tobacco is addictive and psychedelics are not addictive. Anyone using psychedelics habitually is trying to escape from problems in their life or they are looking for answers about the meaning of their lives trust me I know all about using psychedelics to escape.

If you only trip a few times you’ll get mad benefits, but if you keep on going back your toast,

If you like the oneness and connectedness psychedelics give you, try Zen Buddhist Meditation—it is much safer than psychedelic shit, has the same effects as psychedelic shit, and it won’t fry your brain if you do it too often.

Psychedelics not Zen is done in America because Americans are retards that would do something extremely dangerous over something very safe just because the dangerous thing is quick and the safe thing is slow.

As we know know all Americans are impatient socially retarded assholes aka asspies.
>>
File: knowledge2.png (2.24 MB, 808x720)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB PNG
>>3310726
i disagree with this. Many of the heaviest LSD/SHROOMs ect drug users are the most successful individuals I know. A former Amazon Computer Engineer now working for Google earning over 200,000 USD a year used LSD every weekend during undergrad. Psychedelics and hallucinogenics are a more intellectual drug than heroin/cocaine
>>
>>3310951
Plus psychedelics aren’t addictive so you don’t become dependent on them.
>>
>>3310293
>said no commercial cinematographer ever
>>
>>3311059

All cinematographers are commercial, right?
>>
>>3311059
I think he's trying to warn against needlessly buying things when you don't need to. Sometimes people around here stop gearfagging on cameras and start compulsively buying other things like photography books hoping they'll find the magic book that teaches them how to become amazing quick. It's still a waste of money that would be better spent travelling or going to interesting events with your camera. Not to say books can't be helpful, but most of the time these books sit around unread or they're are mostly fluff with a handful of useful tips.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 334x302)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>3311069
A drink of ayahuasca will do more than any gear or books you can buy.

Ayahuasca will teach you what you need to know, and help you view the world in new ways.

Image Width334
Image Height302
>>
>>3311069
Looking at pictures taken by pros or watching films made by pros will teach you all you need to know. Books might help with techniques needed to produce certain images, but the best way to know what type of images to produce is to look at what has already been produced and then deciding what you want to produce.
>>
>>3311005
preach
>>
>>3311092
how has codeine got any sort of score - it just makes you feel a bit high and docile.
>>
>>3311100
codeine metabolism in the liver is very complex and "dirty" and has killed several children. so it's not really that safe
>>
File: 1523550936374.jpg (13 KB, 233x204)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>how do i learn composition
>dude bro drugs lmao
>>
File: drugs-world.jpg (146 KB, 940x714)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>3311107

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width940
Image Height714
>>
>>3311108

Yes, everyone went through their twenties.
>>
File: 15268275647777.jpg (103 KB, 960x960)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>3311115
Consider the "man" advocating for taking drugs looks like he's never spent a minute in the gym yet idolises roided up professional wrestlers. It all falls into place after that. He's just LARPing.
>>
>>3311116
Don’t touch roids they’ll make your nuts shrink, and they don’t work unless you go to the gym and work your ass off.
>>
>>3311092
>>3311101
so full of shit, can't even post 2 charts that don't contradict each other
>>
>>3310951
>>3311092
>>3311101
>>3311108
Well, I see your point. But did you ever consider that drugs in creativity are just half as promising as driving around in a lambo?
>>
>>3310284
I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Art-Photography-Personal-Approach-Expression/dp/1681982102 It's a bit long, but does a good job of explaining various techniques for both film and digital, warns of common pitfalls and mistakes, etc.

The tl;dr is basically the same as most art: figure out what message/story/feeling/experience/etc that you're trying to convey with your photo, and then think about how the elements of your photo add or subtract from that goal. If you're trying to create a sombre mood, color or high contrast may not be a great idea. If you want to highlight an interesting subject, make sure the lines and contrast areas of your photo don't distract from the subject. Etc.
>>
>>3311155
But he could buy that lambo if he used some of his drugs and sold the rest, but he’d p get raped by Bubba and get some creativity from unprotected lubeless anal in jail.
>>
>>3311195
This book looks good anon. I’ll have to check it out when I have the time. Thanks for delivering /p/
>>
>>3310286
Seconded.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.