[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: DSC_2587-1200.jpg (159 KB, 1200x1203)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
How feasible would it be to travel long term with a film camera and iPad Pro? What would be the best way to get my film developed while on the go? I rarely do anything other than very minor adjustments to my scans, can the iPad handle large images? Anyone have experience doing this sort of thing? Pic related.
>>
>>3322694
You couldn't be more generic. Write the details of your trip and we'll be able to answer, because a lot depend on where you'll go, how you'll travel, how much weight and volume you'll be able to carry, how long you'll be away from home, how long you'll stay in each place, and so on. Also, why did you mention the iPad? What /p/ use do you have for it?
>>
>>3322696
Okay so the trip will be 3 months in the Swiss Alps staying in the same place and from there I don't know, probably eastward. I am mostly just concerned about how feasible it is to buy and get film processed while traveling. I've never used those mail in services.

And I mentioned the iPad because that's what I plan to be using to organize and upload photos to Flickr. All I want to know is if it's practical as a tool to do that. I wouldn't be bringing my MacBook Pro. In fact, the plan would be to sell it.
>>
>>3322699
Will you have a safe place to have the negatives returned to?
>>
>>3322701
I can have them sent to my parents house or possibly one or two other people if those mail in services allow it.
>>
For development you have two options:
>the most sensible
Plan ahead: wherever you want to go, check on the internet if there are labs that dev and scan near your future locations, maybe give them a call; buying film isn't an issue: after all you'll in Europe, worst case scenario you'll have to buy from the internet. It's not rocket science.
>the most retarded
Pack a shitload of rolls, the bottles of chemicals and the rest of the tools, and bring them with you. I assume you won't stay under a bridge so processing on your own won't be an issue as long as you have access to a stove, but you won't be able to process the negatives, unless you buy a flatbed scanner and bring it with you along your laptop.

As for the iPad I have no idea. Honestly I wouldn't do anything that isn't shitposting and checking wikipedia on a touch screen device.
>>
File: OldLadyWaiting.jpg (1.36 MB, 1000x1000)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
So I'v done this. I had a decent amount of film developed while traveling for 2 reasons:

1. It was available and convenient
2. It was WAY cheaper than getting it developed back home.

Had it not been cheaper, I would've not had any developed while travelling.

I would periodically send back my developed film as well as undeveloped rolls to my parent's house.

I took about 125ish rolls with me...but wound up needing to restock on 35mm. It was a bit of a pain and I'd recommend taking all the film you plan to shoot with you and a bit extra. I can't imagine film being cheap in the Swiss Alps.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6666
Image Height6645
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution73 dpi
Vertical Resolution73 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2013:01:29 00:40:33
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height1000
>>
Why not just develop when you're back home?
>>
>>3322710
thanks for the reply. good to know that it's not totally nuts.

>>3322897
might go about this but i'm really not sure when i'd be back. also wanted to upload along the way but the idea of waiting until i return to see the outcome does appeal to me too.
>>
>>3322694

My guess would be that when travelling with film it is more economical to develop after travel than mail film home as travel progresses. Three months is however long time in one spot, so local processing may make sense.
>>
File: aaaaa.jpg (121 KB, 1000x562)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>3322909
Travelling with this much film is definitely a pain in the ass. But I think it's worth it.

>>3322964
Depends how long you're travelling for. Sending 30 rolls home for $30 is worth the 1kg reduction in bag weight IMO. Plus, you no longer have to worry about it as much.
>>
Doesn't film above 800 ISO gets fucked by x-ray scans? I am traveling next week and I dropped the idea of taking film because of that reason
>>
>>3322994
>film above 800 ISO
Like what? Delta 3200 or Natura?
>>
>>3323000
indeed, plus, I've read that if any film (regardless of it's ISO) is exposed more than 5 times through xrays they get fucked
>>
>>3322967
Er, how did you have space for anything else? How is film worth this? Are you sure you wouldn't rather take a mirrrorless? Not trolling, just genuinely curious.
>>
>>3323003
Depends on the scanners, I went through the ones in Barcelona, Madrid and Paris with Superia 400 and they were fine.
>>
>>3322967
how was the ga645 for your needs? i have the zoom version but was thinking of bringing my mamiya 6 just because i love it so much.
>>
>>3322994
I ran Natura 1600 through 4 xray passes and it turned out fine. YMMV

>>3323004
I unboxed all the film and put it in big ziplocks. I was only travelling in warm countries and my backpack is 60L so I fit everything I needed with room to spare just fine. Honestly, I bet lots of people take up more room with their DSLRs and extra lenses. Sure I could've taken a mirrorless but I enjoy having a binder of film to flip through from trips.

>>3323058
GA645 was great. I bought it for the trip and sold it when I got back. Getting 32 pictures on a roll of 220 was a killer space saver. I've also backpacked Vietnam with a Mamiya 6, can't go wrong with that either.
>>
>>3322967
Why do you use a medium format camera?
>>
>>3323103
I've always enjoyed shooting medium format while travelling. I've always shot 6x6 but wanted a smaller camera and more shots so I opted for 645 instead.
>>
>>3322694

Can an iPad use a disc drive? If so it is easy, most places will give you a CD with your negatives.
>>
>>3323092
>>3323058

I have been eyeing a GA645Zi myself, but have had trouble talking myself into it. The 500CM is only a little more expensive and doesn’t seem all that much more awkward to travel with.

Plus I hear bad things about the GA645 autofocus.
>>
>>3323147
You can get a GS645S for a few hundo if you look around and get rangefinder focus. That’s what I’m using and I’m in love with it.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.14 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2018:04:13 21:53:21
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width738
Image Height1000
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3323154

Kinda wanted the zoom, not sure which focal length I will end up liking more.

Mainly intended for family, so something not too wide, but not too long either since we live in cramped 1LDK.

A manual focus Zi would rock.
>>
>>3322694

Firstly, are you traveling by air? Airport scanners can mess up your undeveloped film. You'll want to process the lot before you return. One pass through airport scanners is okay, keep it in your hand luggage as X-rays there are weaker than hold luggage.

Secondly, Mamiya 6 is probably the way to go. I'm eyeing one myself to cut down on bulk.

Thirdly, it's easier to travel with the negatives rolled than filed. Don't bother trying to post on the road - your instagram 'on the road shit' is what digital is for. Instead, it's best to just save the film until you get back and then consistently scan them all using the same tools, and publish it as part of a series, rather than getting inconsistent results from labs you don't trust with different scanning systems.
>>
>>3322699
Why not just have them all developed when you get back?
>>
>>3322694
>>3322699

Once you got the scans, it's easy to work on iPad. Sometimes it's easier than a computer, if you use the Pro with pencil, it's the equivalent of having a wacom digitiser to use with brushes, selections, etc. while editing.

Processing power is certainly enough, and there are some really good apps that vtake advantage of that and the form factor, like Pixelmator and Affinity Photo. The latter especially, is more than enough for almost everything, it's somewhere inbetween lightroom and photoshop (closer to photoshop), but smoother and with much better interface.

The weak link by far in a travelling setup is the scanner. They're big and bulky when it comes to medium format, and they require a PC to drive them.

Second issue is development. The easiest way to do it is to travel with some powder developer for B&W and powder fixer, mix them on the spot, use them while you're there, discard them when it's time to leave. Colour is a bit more hassle, because you can only get liquid concentrates and not powders (and remember the 100ml rule when flying with carryon bags). Then there's temperature control.

The easiest way is to find a local or mail-in lab to do your colour work. Or, if you're staying at the place for a couple months, order online the chemicals to be delivered at where you'll be staying and give it a try yourself.
>>
Are you a gypsy

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.