[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/p/ - Photography

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest - Submit Designs Here

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~48 hours. Apply Here

File deleted.
>Spend thousands to go on a trip to the Norway
>Hike for hours up a cliff
>Wait half a day for the light to be just right
>Spend 15 hours editing a gorgeous shot of the crashing waves against the cliff
>Post it on instagram
15 likes
>Some random literally who girl posts a selfie of herself at the supermarket
500 likes

It’s literally, unironically not fair.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width621
Image Height494
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3330739
post the picture. or is this a hypothetical situation?
>>
>>3330739
You’re on the wrong platform.
>>
>>3330748
>Literally the second photo is a girl with her tits on display
Like fucking clockwork, whatever this shit is it's the exact same as thotstagram
>>
>>3330739
>get picture printed in large format
>hang on wall
>people come over
>"Whoah, did you take that?"
>Tell them story about the time you hiked for hours up cliff and spend half a day to get just the right shot.
>>
How the fuck do some users get 10.000+ Instagram followers just like that organically? Like they can’t all be using a bot or have payed followers right?
>>
>>3330749
You’re never going to get away from it completely but look at the ratio of tits to landscapes.
There’s always Flickr. It’s always been very conservative.
>>
>>3330748
I can never get more than 20 or so likes on 500px. They might make it to Popular but then they just stop getting views.
>>
>>3330758
It’s still social media. How much back scratching are you doing?
>>
>>3330762
Backscratching?
>>
>>3330763
Yeah suckin other peoples dicks so they come and check you out.
>>
>>3330739
Want to attention whore? Post tits then.

Yes, that has more relevance than landscapes to most of the potential audience, even more so on Instagram.

Also, post your shit on flickr instead. People appreciate higher quality photos there and you can watch theirs, too.
>>
>>3330762
Probably too little? I follow people that shoot things I like (I enjoy most of the stuff in my feed). I occasionally browse the categories to find new people to follow. If someone likes my picture I check them out and try to like at least one of theirs.
>>
>>3330753
Show tits on women with good makeup and do it basically every day.

And almost only write vapid statements. "New makeup, love it!". Women arent bothered to share this to promote themselves as makeup lovers, and men just repost cute girls with tits (in a very broad sense).
>>
What hashtags did you use? Some are more popular than others.
Some people just don't appreciate art and/or maybe just scrolled quickly and didn't really stop to look at it properly.
>>
>>3330739
Did you go alone?
>>
>>3330772
Not OP but I'll hijack this

Is it obnoxious to use like 50 hashtags? I often put in pretty much everything that's in the photo

Denim jacket, black hair, green eyes etc
>>
>>3330776
When there's normie selfie/phonefags filling up all tags, doing the same is pretty much the only way to get noticed.

It look shitty for sure, but it's either look shitty and slowly get somewhere or just be drowned out
>>
>family go to French Riviera
>sister tells me to photograph her posing some tryhard shit that zara/instagram "models" do
>the photo that she posts to instagram is the sitting-in-a-shopping-cart-looking-moody meme
>still gets 98 likes because it's the fucking sitting-in-a-shopping-cart-looking-moody meme
bitch you have all those pretty sceneries and the photo that you choose share the memories on social media is of a carrefour shopping cart?
>>
>>3330776
>50 hashtags
IG allow a max of 30 I believe.
>>
>>3330739
skill and artistic merit have zero connection to how much of an audience you will draw in. that goes for any creative thing really, not just photography.
>>
>Spend several bucks to go on a trip to nearby city
>Walk around all day with heavy tripod, supplies and more on back
>Spend several minutes editing gorgeous street and archi shots
>Post it on /p/
6 comments
>Some clearly reply-trolling frog poster posts a fake story with no photos
22 replies and counting

It's literally, unironically mildly annoying
>>
>>3330814
your gorgeous photos look like shit bumboy
>>
>>3330816
Point still stands
>>
>>3330783
I should consider myself lucky I'm not one of those people then.
>>
how about hashtags on instagram then?
>>
>>3330739
If the image you have finalized is awesome (for you), you made it in the end. Why do you care about Instagram?
As a landscape photographer, do you know what really sucks? If you made all the efforts you described just to come home later with no worth images due to light/weather/whatever. Sometimes a pretty landscape is not enough to press the shutter.
This is why the true form of landscape photography comes only after one's passion for the adventure, exploration, wandering for lands. When you bring home one good shot, it means much more than any bunch of popular images on Instagram.
>>
>>3330748
I tried Flickr and EyeEm.
what makes 500dix better or more suited and for what purpose?
>>
you really are (going to be) a sad person if that's what mouvates you
even worse, you'll end up making normie bullshit pics
>>
>flickr
over processed lego images

>500px
over processed photos from flagship cameras for like and sponsor

>instagram
boobs = likes

>4chan
the most retarded snapshit takes the prize
>>
>>3330753
>>3330756
You guys are stupid and dont understand bots. You dont have bot followers, you use a bot to automate your account activity. I automate my IG account from a standalone program on my computer at home, it follows, unfollows, likes, comments, DMs, 24/7. It gets me like 30-40 real followers every day. And my photos usually get over 1k interactions a pieces, stories usually have over 2k impressions.

sadIt's sad, but that's the only way you can really do it now, without spending a shot load of money on sponsoring your posts
>>
>>3330739
you need to network with other photographers, start looking up photography related hashtags and comment on popular posts, but don't beg for follows/likes/views. People will find your shit.

What's you @ op?
>>
>>3330774
OP please answer this
>>
>>3331184
Yeah but I'd rather have just a few followers who enjoy my images than thousands of bots or people who don't give a shit
>>
>>3330776
it's not as long as you hide your hashtags either spaced down further in the post or in a comment. No one looks at hashtags anyways. Also IG won't let you post more than 30 hashtags per post so you have to be a bit strategic.
>>
>>3331184
wow the denial is strong in this one
you said it yourself, you use a bot to automate liking/following, then why do you think other millions of social-media-attention-addicts, including your followers, don't the same?
https://petapixel.com/2017/04/06/spent-two-years-botting-instagram-heres-learned/
there are fake accounts mass set up by dmitrys in russia
and then there are "real" account botting to automate likes/follows
you automate like/follow them, they automate like/follow you back
at the end of the day, fake or "real", you're all bots
>>
>>3331184
which program do you use? I had Instagress running before it died
>>
>>3330757
>mfw the 4th and 7th photos are still tits
>>
>>3330739
I can't seem to grow too much either, granted I am kinda new, but I am also kinda happy that I have an engagement rate of 35% rather than the usual 5% engagement rate.
>>
>>3330749
>>3330757
sounds like you've got some serious hangups about women desu
are you also uncomfortable in art galleries?
>>
>>3331336
underrated
>>
>>3330739
>I derive my sense of self worth from interactions with strangers on a phone app
What a pathetic, immasculated existence.
>>
File: Image27.jpg (1.76 MB, 3316x3316)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>be me in the Norwegian army
>get paid to take photos of beautiful country

haha, cya virgins

(pic unrelated, Canon F-1, 50mm f/1.4 Kodak 200)

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 7.3.1 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2018:05:25 00:08:46
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>3330758
I registered month ago and manage to get 37 likes. So i think if you take a goot photo you will get more likes. Some time i find people with 20 avarage likes per photo then boom photo with houndreds of likes. I do like 500px couse i have not any friends and these people my only audiance that i can ever get.
>>
>>3331032
It was just an example. They all require a significant amount of self-promotion, 500px is probably the most instantly gratifying. Flickr had almost a community vibe to it when I was there...it was really pretty cozy, I just stopped posting one day and now it’s been so long I don’t know how to start again.
>>3331336
>titter
>>
>>3332004
>pajeet comment bots
And people say this place has hit rock bottom. Not by a long shot imho.
>>
File: IMG_20180727_222957_379.jpg (359 KB, 1620x1080)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
Here's a photo my friend took of me at a supermarket. I posted it on Instagram and got 80 likes. It was taken on a Nikon D3400 and it feels really comfy
>>
>>3330739
>he's on photography to feed his ego
>>
>>3331324
I had instagress too. Now I use followliker.

>>3331198
>at the end of the day, fake or "real", you're all bots

3 deep 5 me

But seriously, yeah, you're going to get bot activity on your account, and I can notice it from a mile away because I see what my account does. However, there are actual people enjoying my photos, often times I'll hold conversations with them in DMs.
>>
File: 1471317516336.jpg (31 KB, 600x600)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
mfw more bots liked my instagram post than bots liked yours
>>
>>3330739
(you)
>>
>>3330739
>>3330748
>>3330757

Landscapes are the second lowest form of photography, only above wedding photography
>>
>>3332207
Wow. Absolutely EPIC. Keep up the good vibes.
>>
>>3332328
>Landscapes are the second lowest form of photography, only above wedding photography
t. street """photographer"""
>>
>>3332328
Nope they're the third macro is first
>>
>>3332230
do those programs act as a way to attract people who might actually be interested in your stuff? or does it just bring in dead bots that don't engage with any of your content. I am growing slow but have a pretty high engagement rate so I have never tried one of those since I would only want all or most showing up from it to be real people.
>>
>>3332328
t. Chosis
>>
>>3332428
so does it actually provide any benefit to run something like that then? I think gaining followers would get easier the more (that interact) you have since it will bring posts higher on the on the searches allows other to find it better. would this actually help with the rate of growth even if I stop it after a while. I have 35% engagement rate which is really high I know it won't last forever so if it drops to like 25% but I get a lot more people who consistently like my stuff and help bring in other I think it could be worth it.
>>
>>3330805
I’ve got a friend who always wants me to take photos of her to post on instabook, I really want to say, bitch you aren’t that pretty get your plain face out of my beautiful scenery shots.
>>
If you’re doing photography for the likes, maybe a change of attitude is in order. I do it for the artistic satisfaction and the challenge of capturing a scene just right. I do like to share them, but wether they get no likes or a hundred, I’m still happy with my work.
>>
>>3332434
Yea I definitely don't just want numbers, I want to bring in quality people, I would just hope that people who follow back are actually interested and just haven't had the chance to see my work since I am still small.
>>3332438
for me it's not about likes I personally just want people to enjoy my stuff and also, the follows I only care about (which is why I want quality) is because I am so small that If I don't post it a week due to something I can lose 10+ followers which is almost 10% of my followers. I don't want to have an unstable account to where a number like that can set me back months.
>>
>>3332434
ok so I am trying it, but with highly restrictive settings to only try and get people who actually like my work and have the actions it performs to be much lower in number than what is recommended to not become a nuisance but instead just let more people know I exist. hopefully I can gain a small amount of followers(maybe 10) a week from it.
so far the 3 accounts it has followed for me actually have decent content that I like, so hopefully it will just be a tool to help me connect better with others rather than a malicious type of bot system.
>>
File: 1525273564304.jpg (9 KB, 240x210)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>post a pic on insta with the hashtag #humpday to illustrate the real struggles of grinding through Wednesdays during the workweek
>14.3 mil posts with this hashtag? Wow there must be a lot of people sharing these struggles
>99% of #humpday posts are women showing their butts
>>
>>3330739
>He does it for the (((Likes)))
Begone, thot.
>>
>>3332438
Everyone has their own prerogative, my dude. If someone ends up taking amazing photographs because they're motivated by shallow things like social media likes, would that make their photographs any less amazing?
>>
>>3332425
Yeah, it absolutely attracts people that are interested in your account. My engagement totals have gone way way up in sheer numbers, I'm averaging like 1.5k likes per post, vs maybe 100 likes before. However engagement as a percentage has gone down, which I would actually blame on Instagram changing their feed from chronological to algorithmic. I used to have an engagement rate of like 30% now I'm down to like 10%.

>>3332428
You really don't know how they work, so stop pretending like you do.

1. They unfollow everyone, not just the people that don't follow you back

2. They don't "unfollow you so fast", you can set it to unfollow after a set time. Mine waits for two days and then unfollows them then.

>>3332434
Botting is not even close to being the same as buying followers. How do you not get it?
>>
File: 1137-0547.jpg (1.09 MB, 1400x927)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>rolling down California backroads in my semi
>see pic related
>oh shit
>fumble through some settings quickly on my d7000 + tokina 11-16
>stick the camera out the window
>managed to get the shot while climbing the grade at like 15mph because 40 tons
>posted on 500px
>instant popular and 97% pulse in 5 minutes
>didn't give a shit because fuck social media

Legit if you are in photography to impress other people or for likes, you're doing it wrong. I give no fucks I shoot what I want and post it here and I'm ready for /p/ to shit all over it I don't give a fuck, go out and shoot stuff because you want to do it, not because of what everyone is doing on meme-tier "photography" social media sites. fuck the system.

if you devote your time to making strangers behind a glowing screen happy you forget who you are

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D7000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern750
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)16 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:02:08 20:00:27
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length11.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypePortrait
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3332661
>i give no fucks
>theblogpost

gee
>>
>>3332661
Hi Ken how are the kids?
>>
>>3332661
You were to busy thinking about maxing out the saturation that you didn't stop to ask yourself if you should.
>>
File: IYT0CIX_1.jpg (519 KB, 2837x3131)
519 KB
519 KB JPG
>>3332661
>>
File: 1329970541312.jpg (48 KB, 467x700)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>3332661
Wow, 500px was a thing in 1999?
>>
>>3331664
>>be me
>>>/reddit/
>>
>taking photos for likes and attention
sorry to hear
>>
>>3332755
>>3332744
>>3332743
>>3332741
>>3332675
>>3332672

Samefag, here's your (you) for effort.
>>
>>3330750
>implying he has friends
>>
>>3332437
Some females seem to think that being in the same frame as pretty objects/sceneries, by association they themselves will look prettier. Kind of like how a 5 carrying a LV bag can somehow look like a 7.
In fact I personally know some people who travel just to get new backgrounds for their selfies.
>>
>>3333083
>a-anyone who points out how afwul my shit is must be an evil samefag with a vendetta!
fuck off sugar
>>
>>3333231
>>3333083
*awful*
>>
>>3333232

>He doesn't use Yotsuba B

Opinion discarded
>>
>>3330739
>>Some random literally who girl posts a selfie of herself at the supermarket
>500 likes

Welcome to the world, anon. How's your first day been?
>>
>>3332661
nice "humblebrag" blogpost faggot
>>
>>3332328
True
>>
>>3333236
cope
>>
File: 1529254442997s.jpg (7 KB, 250x250)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3332328
Keep photographing "cool stuff" like concrete blocks, fences, garbage bins, chains, locks mr street photographer
>>
>>3330739
>>3330748

You should get VSCO. It's a mobile app with mobile filters but a lot of good photographers there.
>>
>>3330739
Growing Instagram is hard since spring. If you didn't have 10k followers by then, well good luck!
>>
File: fm2_silvermax100_021.jpg (916 KB, 1274x2000)
916 KB
916 KB JPG
>>3333474
Don't mind if I do..

Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.10.0
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution4800 dpi
Vertical Resolution4800 dpi
Image Created2018:08:04 10:15:05
>>
>>3333522
Ok.
>>
>>3333796
>>3332328
fuck off chosis
>>
I experimented with the minds.com social network recently and it actually has a large photography community, as soon as you separate yourself from the political community
of course, it's not viable to build a storefront. but it certainly is a community.
>>
>>3332207
This is now my desktop background
>>
>>3334438
Thanks.
>>
>>3330739
I hate to break it to you, but if you take photographs just so you can post them on your [your preferered social media here] for likes, you picked a wrong hobby. Just shoot for the fun of it... You'll feel much better and won't be forced to do tent holes, people in yellow jackets on a cliff, hairy cows and pics of girls in front of the canoe all over.

pic related, 50 likes on my account, same picture got reposted on page with 80k followers and got 1.8k likes. But who cares...
>>
File: 1529200188768.gif (3.89 MB, 200x200)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB GIF
>>3330739
> being on kickass vacation in northern europe, pursuing a hobby you enjoy
>being salty over some internet points
>>
Anyone tried gurushots? I saw ads and it could either be shilled piece of shit or fun game
>>
>>3335325
I saw that too and I wanted to ask on here but I didn't want to be mistaken for a shill
>>
>>3335325
>>3336027
Not worth it. It's spammed with cellphone photos and it's based off of points that's clearly rigged because they can take some away for no reason.
>>
>>3333796
I recognize that sidewalk.
>>
>>3336040
What if I dont give a shit about points but just use it as "idea picker" and motivator to make photos?
>>
>>3330776
posting generic hashtags will generate bot likes and bot followers.

You need to use smaller hashtags (no not a hashtag with 50 million posts) and preferably, hashtags for those shoutout accounts that posts photos with related themes.

#ourmag #fdicct

Bots usually don't follow these niche hashtags as hard, as real people.
>>
File: IMG-20161227-WA0000.jpg (14 KB, 310x163)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>3330739
mfw you didn't fall off the fucking cliff.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17540102/high-on-life-youtube-waterfall-death-ryker-gamble-alexey-lyakh-megan-scraper
>>
>>3330739
You're right. its not fair. it's just how society works. the sooner you realise that they all copy each other and literally NEED that kind of feedback often, the better.
(seriously, i've known a couple of insta-thot's in my time. they literally will do anything for attention and lash out when people stop sucking their e-dick)

set your own goals, forget social media, accomplish epic shit.
I honestly don't even post my work anymore, you dont NEED that kind of feedback all the time

how about this:
shoot for a year or two, start a project or travel, curate your work, dont show anyone, print a nice coffee table book at the end of it.
you'd be surprised at the sense of accomplishment you get out of it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.