[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/qa/ - Question & Answer

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

what is the next big meme?
>>
your sex life
>>
File: 1449537373325.jpg (23 KB, 336x334)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1905527
I prefer a nice, heart-filled in joke that just happens to resonate with people than a micro-trend that's copied endlessly just because that's what you're supposed to do.
>>
File: milhouse.jpg (56 KB, 625x415)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
it's my turn, right?
>>
File: 1586294410776.gif (384 KB, 500x500)
384 KB
384 KB GIF
Time traveler here. The thing about future memes is that they don't make any sense in the past. If I told you the biggest meme of 2020 will be "Papa Loves it!" then you have no idea who Papa is right now and you associate things that have no context for you with 2018 things that aren't relevant and seem odd in retrospect. So if I told you what the next big meme was basically your brain would ooze out of your ears and your head would explode.
>>
>>1905585
stupid, the future doesn't exist yet
>>
>>1905586
Not for you it doesn't... yet.
>>
Got you crisp right here cousin
>>
File: 1518516679823-tv.jpg (24 KB, 586x278)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
soyhouse
>>
>>1905527
It takes years to become a big meme and the posters today are instant gratification millennials with no talent, no patience and no idea of how to create something successful out of thin air. It's copypaste stock images with one-liners as far as the eye can see. Way too many posters apply this s4s approach to meme making (>>1905571) and it has an extremely low success rate. /s4s/'s best stuff came as a result of someone opening a paint program, and real content creators who do this are few and far between.
>>
File: 1470885331464.jpg (184 KB, 900x900)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>1906312
I think another part of it is that 4chan seems to have largely lost touch with its roots as a humor site. The well known and used memes of the times were all popular because they were funny, and the aim was to make people laugh, or the meme was something that made people laugh. While a good deal of it was mean spirited and in cases pretty twisted, there was always a sense that someone really wanted to entertain with their post.
I think whats been lost is not only the desire to entertain, but a genuine sense of humor, which has been replaced with the bitter cynicism and moral depravity that was previously a means to being funny. Mix in the desire to be instantly famous, and we get stuff like Sakurafish, Pepe, Wojak, and other forms of anti-humor like "Sakura giving Cirno the Fishe". There's no actual joke, innately funny quality, or anything actually charming about any of the above, they're just shoved in to anon's eye holes so much that he becomes attached to them, and starts putting their own little spins on them, putting these images in places where people don't expect, which is where actual attempts at humor and creativity come in.

In fact, current day "meme" images on 4chan are much like general threads. The initial image doesn't matter, and doesn't need to actually do anything for the userbase (like how general thread OPs don't start discussion), it just needs to exist as a space for people be creative in. The only caveat is that all creativity must be connected to the image, and any jokes must be related to said image, much like generals create a monopoly on all discussion of certain topics. Also, the meme images are endlessly reposted and not allowed to fade, just like generals.
>>
File: Nick.com_logo_2004.png (158 KB, 485x318)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>Thinking you can force a meme
When the next big one comes, you won't know until it already is one.
>>
File: Nick_logo.jpg (3 KB, 87x81)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: 1262120707784.gif (1.07 MB, 2508x4488)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB GIF
>>1906345 (cont.)
I'm not going to wax poetic about 4chan's lost age, because frankly I wasn't there for it and know little of it. I will say there was a greater sense of fun about older images that became popular, especially compared to some of the utterly joyless stuff I see today, but this, as well as the above, are simply my impressions on things. I only started coming around 2007-8, and my greatest exposures to 4chan culture were /m/'s crossboard SRW Alpha 3 RP threads (see pic), which were definitely fun and would totally never be a thing again.
That said, I believe for 4chan to be fun again requires people to want to be fun and make fun for others, even if it's crude and rough around the edges. Anon is so caught up in his own hatred of all things that he doesn't realize this sense of bitterness has completely consumed him, and rendered him creatively impotent, as well as salted the ground for anyone but equally as joyless people as him to set up shop. If there is another big meme, it will have to tickle to bright eyed, far more innocent and joyful child in anon. Any other attempt will just be another hollow extension of what we already have (Fish, Pepe, and Wojak edits).

I actually think that Passer is far closer to that idea than anything else. It's crude and simplistic, yes, but it actually attempts to entertain, satisfy, and make people laugh without the being infected with irony. It is not anti-humor, it's just silly and rather innocent and has a persistent posting pattern. It doesn't rely on others to give it traction like the Triforce of MS Paint either.
>>
Maybe it's nerdy culture becoming mainstream and bullying being cracked down on that's the cause? Without adolescent intellectuals escaping to the internet and using comedy to cope this is what we are left with. Bland normalfag humor.
>>
>>1906791
People who routinely use the word normalfag are the real normalfags.
>>
File: 1518608891287-tv.png (159 KB, 1050x741)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>1906900
t. normalfag
>>
Semi ironic fat posting
>>
>>1906351
Fuckin nailed it. By the way, what's Passer?
>>
>>1907141
This guy: >>1836556 . He posts little story-ish things with toys from Fate/Stay Night. It's pretty silly, but in a much more good natured way than most stuff on 4chan. It's hardly high comedy or anything of the sort, but I can personally feel the good intent behind it. Maybe I'm just soft, I dunno.

I'm quite surprised that this guy got kicked out of /s4s/ of all places. Maybe it's because Passer is actually coherent in his goofiness.
>>
>>1907197
Just took a look, and that guy seems to be the only hope for this website. Legit, funny, original content that isn't post-ironic shit that makes no sense. It's like I took a portal back to 2005.
>>
>>1907141
>>1907197
>>1907206
Samefag.
>>
>>1907197
He's just ripping off 2ch though. We need OC!
>>
File: 1512670160570.png (110 KB, 720x720)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
I like this thread so I'm saving it. ORA!
>>
>>1907197
>>1907206
Jesus christ you kids are gullible
>>
>>1908205
Looking cool and knowledgeable on the internet does have its downsides, Anon. If no message is communicated, your attempt at being the elite internet user will fall on deaf ears and any change you desire to see in the userbase will not be affected.
Though if you're just one of those types who thinks everything is bad an gets off simply on being right, it's cool I guess. Congrats, you know a bit more than a random on the Internet.
>>
>>1905527
Tsukumogami of an Aged Biwa
>>
>>1906351
With what you said, the real "Anonymous" as a whole has grown up, moved on, and witnessed the world. New kids should have to sign up and make their own usernames because trying to join in on something they'll never understand is why the only Anonymous left. Everyone who posts should be give "Pepe" as a default name instead because these kids are anything but anonymous
>>
>>1907197
But passer is just a shit script kiddy
>>
>>1905527
Disciple of Bishamonten
>>
Hopefully being serious and looking for the absolute truth will be the next big thing.
>>
>>1912873
Nah nobody is into that
>>
>>1905571
You'll never be a meme, poindexter.

>>1906312
>[s4s] approach
Hey bud, Milhouse predates shit 4chan says.
>>
>>1905527
Barker Bill’s Trick Shooting
>>
The next big meme is already here and it's Apu. Don't know what's so hard to understand about that. He's everywhere.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.