[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Quests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 342342342.jpg (949 KB, 995x1250)
949 KB
949 KB JPG
This Quest is to answer a question that's been bugging me: How much of a hero could a super-power-less human being accomplish in a world of super-powered individuals? An initial quick answer would be: have him find a way to give himself powers like how Spider-Man gets his powers.

So, if we disregard gaining super-powers through external means, with the MC not being able to have in-born mutant-like powers either, how far could he or she go?

With this said, the key factor to the MC is that they are determined 110% to be a 'Hero' without super-human gifts of any kind.

This may be an impossible task. As QM I'll be a hard taskmaster in not cutting breaks for the MC (such as super-luck, convenience, etc).

Okey dokey, with this all said let's see if this takes off. More in next post.
>>
To begin this story, how does the MC gain this pivotal motivation to their character? What keeps the eternal fire raging within that they'll never willingly attain super-powers?

>An easily preventable death of a friend/family member is the result of a skirmish between the so-called Greatest Super-Villain and Greatest Super-Hero

>Your entire family have super-powers and have taunted/neglected/despised you for not having powers of your own. This dismissal has caused your heart to become (metaphorically) like ice, prompting you to prove you can be better than them without powers.

>You had powers for a hot-minute and the power went right to your head. In order to save the life of someone who would have died at the hands of your power, you give your power away to them, vowing to never have powers again

>write-in
>>
>>1857232
>write-in
The desire to do good for the world, to be the best person in a world that doesn't fit us, knowing full well that we are horribly outclassed by everyone else, just because we're weak doesn't mean we should ignore people in danger
i'm sorry QM, i really dislike the tragic background most superheroes/villains have.
>>
>>1857232
>>1857301
Also forgot to ask
Is this Marvel, DC or OC land?
>>
>>1857232
>>Your entire family have super-powers and have taunted/neglected/despised you for not having powers of your own. This dismissal has caused your heart to become (metaphorically) like ice, prompting you to prove you can be better than them without powers.
>>
>>1857303
OC land but OP will probably use archetypes which are very familiar.
>>
>>1857312
>>1857301
Okay, so we've got two outcomes here. These can either be mixed, or a third option can be given.

So how about this:

>You are in love with the idea of what it means to be a hero despite not having any powers yourself, you are however naively unaware of what this will mean and the dangers you will be faced against in the future [naivety and wide-eyed optimism is the MC's starting ideology]

or

>You come from a family with super-powers, each family member representing different avenues for how to be a great hero (or hero-to-be). You don't have powers but the idea of sharing in their fame and glory is part of your selfless ideal to be a hero as well. [A tall sense of wanting to be admired is a part of your character's personality in their beginning ideology]

Best of Five wins. (I'm cool with taking this slow for now. Board is slow at the moment)
>>
>>1857348
Nice.
>>1857353
>You are in love with the idea of what it means to be a hero despite not having any powers yourself, you are however naively unaware of what this will mean and the dangers you will be faced against in the future [naivety and wide-eyed optimism is the MC's starting ideology]
>>
>>1857353

>>
>>1857353
>>You are in love with the idea of what it means to be a hero despite not having any powers yourself, you are however naively unaware of what this will mean and the dangers you will be faced against in the future [naivety and wide-eyed optimism is the MC's starting ideology]

Hopefully he stays that way
>>
>>1857353
>>
Sometimes you're not sure if the world is changing or if it's forever going to be stuck with the same old longing for tradition, a longing for heroes to stand like titans against the eternal forces of evil. It all sounds very grand when put in these terms, but in this world, a world where super-humans exist; where a man can have the power of a hurricane in his mouth, or a woman the ability to give sentience to inanimate objects (everyone remembers the day Digit City quite literally walked itself, and half of it's civilians, into the ocean depths).

There are great origin stories. There was a time where the likes of Batman, and Spider-Man, Superman, and Wolverine, and a whole host of Pre-Dawn icons were given up and replaced for the real thing.

You were raised on the idea of Pre-Dawn heroes and villains; on comics and cartoons and movies. These old signifiers to an age which can scarcely be remembered by many.

Your name is Topher Harding and you are sixteen years old. You have recently finished high school, and your dream is to become a hero just like those from the comics. You've yet to decide if you wish to emulate the so-called true heroes of today.

>Before we can continue, what is your aptitude in?

>[Stubborn] -- You have an uncanny ability to go against the flow, even in the face of intimidating enemies. [Cost: Will also make you introverted in nature and less social]

>[Charismatic] -- You have a gift for charming those around you. Particularly the ladies. [cost: prone to white-lies and worse, extroverted personality]

>[Studious] -- You have a firm grasp on studying to learn what you need to know. [cost: require an inhaler when stressed]

>write-in
>>
>>1857431
>[Stubborn] -- You have an uncanny ability to go against the flow, even in the face of intimidating enemies. [Cost: Will also make you introverted in nature and less social]
>>
>>1857431
We have way too many charismatic heroes, not enough stubborn ones
Also i'm sick and tired of charismatic PCs in quests
>>
>>1857431
>[Stubborn] -- You have an uncanny ability to go against the flow, even in the face of intimidating enemies. [Cost: Will also make you introverted in nature and less social
>>
>>1857431
>>[Stubborn] -- You have an uncanny ability to go against the flow, even in the face of intimidating enemies. [Cost: Will also make you introverted in nature and less social]
>>
>>1857431
Push through with sheer willpower!
>>
>>1857224
Not really a quest post, but I'd like to give my input.

An ordinary human has several options open to them; authority (Nick Fury), technology (Tony Stark), superior intelligence (Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne), or even bioscience (Bane). Thus, the critical question; do we simply want to manage superheroes, or become one via Clarke's Third Law?
>>
>>1857431
>>
>>1857431
>>
>>1857431
>Stubborn

>>1857542
personaly I think it would be an intresting idea to have a grounded and stubborn individual do a "I'm not stopping, and you cant stop me" despite being smacked about like a leaf in a whirlwind. and winning or constantly tracking them down until they succumb to exhaustion [the villain or PC, it matters not]

but this is cliché as fuck
>>
>>1857589
It's still better than the charismatic "i can talk down anyone who hears me" protag we get with quests
>>
>>1857594
no they have a time and place. and of course their place is in the boss fight where he trys to carry the team and gets vaporised after the first complement

"yes your a very scary villain....hey is that silk I love slik it truly complements your armo- ZAP*

"welp talkers dead, DIE VILLAIN"

that's how it should go
>>
>>1857431
>>[Studious] -- You have a firm grasp on studying to learn what you need to know. [cost: require an inhaler when stressed]
>>
>>1857431
>write in
>Stubborn & Studious
>>
>>1857431
>Stubborn
So, how naive do we have to be? I was thinking something more like this:

>I know how dangerous this is, how weak I am. It's not like I can't hear you when you say it.
>But the truth is, I was born into this world with one power, a curse really.
>I can't look away
>Other people can choose not to see the woman getting mugged in the street, or the beggar on the sidewalk.
>They comfort themselves with the thought that it's "someone else problem" and there's "nothing they can do"
>I can't do that.
>When I see someone in danger, I don't ask whether or not I'm the right person, or the best. I don't think about my destiny, or what might happen to me.
>All I think is: I have to help.
>>
>>1860716
>>1861754
^These 2
>>
>>1861754
I'm voting for this as well. Sounds good.
>>
>>1861754
Me three
>>
>>1861754
this
>>
OP dead?
>>
>>1861754
That's a lot of writing for a post for a thread with no OP
>>
>>1862379
Who cares? I wrote it because it sounded cool in my head. If OP comes back, great! If not, I've gotten some (You)s out of the deal. Win-win for me.
>>
>>1862414

Huh, my ID changed, weird.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.