[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/qst/ - Quests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1477935348627.jpg (62 KB, 600x696)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Hello /qst/
It's time to play a game.
A traditional game.
A dungeon delve.

I'd like 3d6s, rolled, in order. They will make up your stats.
I'd like a single d6.
That will be your HP.
I will give you your starting equipment.

You shall enter the Dungeon.
You all tell me what to do. If it's important, or will require a roll, I'll do a brief vote.
Let's see how it goes.
>>
Rolled 4, 6, 5, 2 = 17 (4d6)

>>2957089
Do you plan to run to run in a single continuous session, or with periodic updates across each day over several days?

>I'd like 3d6s, rolled, in order. They will make up your stats.
>I'd like a single d6.
So, 4d6 in order, then?
>>
Rolled 4, 6, 6 = 16 (3d6)

>>
>>2957113
This shall be updated until I get bored, and restart at random, but I reckon we'll get pretty far if we have enough interest.
also
STRENGTH - 15
DEXTERITY - 16
WILLPOWER - ?
HP - 2
>>
>>2957089
>You shall enter the Dungeon.
>You all tell me what to do. If it's important, or will require a roll, I'll do a brief vote.
>Let's see how it goes

Just fucking run right in, I guess.
>>
Rolled 1, 3, 5 = 9 (3d6)

>>
Rolled 1, 4, 4 = 9 (3d6)

>>2957119
>>
>>2957125
Gonna need another 3d6 for WIL, I'll describe the dungeon entrance when I get your stats and equipment
>>2957128
perfect
>>
>>2957128
>>2957125
>>2957115

STRENGTH - 15
DEXTERITY - 16
WILLPOWER - 9
HP - 2

You (vote on name and sex, I don't care) stand at the overgrown entrance to a tunnel. The floor is of gravel, and the sides earthen with stone blocks at the base. You are carrying a staff (d8 damage), a jar of glue and some iron tongs. You also have a good 50ft of rope, 3 torches, a tinderbox and half-empty wineskin.
What do you do?
>>
>>2957141
Name: Sunny, the goblin slayer

light a torch, enter the dungeon
>>
>>2957155
Pushing the ivy strands aside, you duck through the entrance way. The ceiling rapidly rises up, and you can stand after a couple of paces.
Just at the end of the torchlight, you notice two entrance ways either side of the tunnel, which continues into darkness. The ceiling is filled with small white roots interlaced between the larger roots which seem to brace the roof.
>>
>>2957089
This isn't /tg/, fuck off
>>
>>2957141
>What do you do?
tiptoe your way in
>>
>>2957158
Shuffle down the left path
>>
>>2957158
examine the room carefully for indicators that may reveal what path leads where
>>
>>2957158
crawl under them and quietly shuffle through
>>
>>2957167
You turn down the left path, into what you now see is a small room. The centrepiece of the room is no doubt the large clay sarcophagus.
>>2957171
You can stand
>>2957169
As far as you can tell, the right hand door (now behind you) leads to a similar size room. Further down the tunnel, the stone encompasses the ceiling and walls in blocks, and the gravel becomes paving slabs. There are another two entrance ways leading off the tunnel.
>>
>>2957175
Examine those slabs on the floor
>>
>>2957141
Strong and dexterous, but slightly below average in willpower and low in hitpoints.

So someone who regularly has use for both might and nimbleness - but who probably doesn't see much combat, being too frail to endure many hits.

Perhaps a cat burglar?

>>2957158
This is a dungeon delve. The very first thing to do under any circumstance is always remember to check for traps. No exceptions.
>>
>>2957178
They are slabs, set in mud.
>>2957180
What traps?
Of what mechanism?
And where?
>>
>>2957175
tap on the sarcophagus a few times and listen for movements comeing from inside

also draw us a MSPAINT map OP
>>
>>2957185
You hear nothing but a hollow echo, then silence. No movement.
>maps
Maps are to be the responsibility of the player.
If you don't want to get lost, keep track of where you are.
I'm not trying to be a dick, it's just I find games more fun when they are a puzzle for you to play with and master on your own terms.
>>
>>2957188
Let's use a slab and crack the top open
>>
>>2957189
Heaving the top open, you push the heavy clay lid off, which shatters as it crashes to the floor. Underneath, is a to scale clay statue of a hideous creature, that should be a man but instead has fangs for teeth, scales for skin and dead snake eyes. It clutches a glaive, also of clay.
>>
>>2957182
On initially entering any room? Bearing in mind that this list is by no means exhaustive: the usual suspects are the floor for things like tripwires, pits or trapdoors, the walls for any apertures that might house traps that shoot projectiles such as arrows or darts, and (somewhat less often) the ceiling for similar projectile traps, collapsing ceilings or actual enemies hidden in the rafters.

In addition, any door, chest or similar item that requires physical interaction may also hide some manner of dart or gas trap that activates upon being moved or opened.

So basically, everywhere.

>>2957188
You're going to have to give us far more detailed dimensions of everything if you want us to keep a proper map.
>>
>>2957197
Then you should ask.
The tunnel extends 30 feet before the first set of rooms, then another 30 feet to the next set after that. The first set of rooms are 10 ft by 10 ft.
>>
>>2957194
smash the arms with our staff

>>2957200
the problem with us building our own maps is you have to start REALLY explaining everything.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d6)

>>2957207
I'm perfectly happy to do that.

The statue shatters open, revealing a mummified corpse of the same creature entombed within, a golden amulet around its neck.
A haze comes over your vision.
>>
>>2957209
>d6 damage, non-lethal
>2 hp drops to 0
>pass out
>short rest
>return to full hp

You come to, perhaps some time later, slumped over the corpse. You take a moment to compose yourself, taking a swig of the sour wine.
The amulet gleams, golden. Valuable. Your first treasure, in fact.
>>
>>2957215
Look around, is our torch still going?
>>
>>2957218
Abandoned next to you, it is fitting but still going strong.
Do you wish to take the amulet?
>>
>>2957225
Sure
>>
File: Diagam.png (12 KB, 491x628)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>2957225
Yes, but first fuck up that mummys skeleton

also, is this map correct?
also, can a get a lore check if undead are a thing in this setting? also what is this creature do we know it?
>>
>>2957231
Nice and weighty. Nothing seems to be wrong with it.
>>2957232
The skeleton is trashed.
The map is only inaccurate in there are four rooms, equally spaced with two on each side of the tunnel, and the tunnel continues into darkness beyond this, in a straight line.
As for undead, you're just a scared poor person delving in a hole for cash. You've never seen no snakemen, but you have heard stories.
>>
>>2957240
check the room on the other side, also tell me more about the room this sarcophagus is in.
>>
>>2957240
You were, of course, a tanner's apprentice for some time, which is where you liberated the glue, tongs and staff.
Going back to that job, of course, isn't possible anymore.
Feel free to come up with why.
>>2957253
The room opposite has an identical sarcophagus. The rooms are bare, slab paved and stone walled. A few mouldering wood grave goods lay scattered in both.
>>
>>2957260
Let's go tap on that next sarcophagus
>>
>>2957260
It would be possible to open up the sarcophagus using our staff?
Or by tying the lid with rope and pulling while being some feet away?
>>
>>2957260
give the room a look over for anything that sets it apart from the old room, and if you find nothing give the new sarcophagus a tap as well.

I want to loot this one too but sunny probably doesn't want to get knocked out again.
>>
>>2957268
The sarcophagus is like the previous - a dull hollow thump, then silence.
>>
>>2957273
You can easily lever the lid off, yes.
Remember the gas came from inside the clay statute, not the sarcophagus itself.
Unless there are any objections, I assume that is what you do.
>>
>>2957277
gently tie the rope around the head of the statue, then leave the room and pull hard on the roppe
>>
>>2957314
Lifting the sarcophagus is a challenge, and it takes a moment to wrap the rope securely. Giving it a sharp tug, the head flies off and fractures the statue. The gas hisses out, then dissipates. Inside is another skeleton, and another amulet.
>>
>>2957317
Give me a rough estimated value of these amulets?
It seems to me we have already increased our net worth a million fold.
>>
>>2957341
You've only ever seen gold, once. It was at the market, and a trader came through selling spices.
Well.
Came through.
Got lost and had to stop back home, and when he opened his chest to change for one of the petty farmers, you saw a glint.
>>
File: Diagam.png (6 KB, 491x628)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>2957350

collect your stuff and nervously go to the next room on the left, you are greedy for more gold but scared because of the near death encounter.
>>
>>2957385
The next room is actually far larger, being rectangular in shape and therefore 10 by 20, parallel with the tunnel.

There is another sarcophagus.

The grave goods are differently - you note scraps of parchment amongst the rubble
>>
>>2957393
poke around the parchments with your staff, checking if anything is hiding under them.
>>
>>2957425
They crumble to dust as you stir. Nothing of note.
>>
>>2957427
give the sarcophagus a knock then open her up
>>
>>2957436
Inside, like the others, you find a clay statue of an abomination against nature.
This foul beast is clutching a long sharp implement dipped in an open wound and a curl of parchment.
>>
>>2957447
>This foul beast is clutching a long sharp implement dipped in an open wound

As in, something has stabbed it with a weapon? the clay has been punctured? are you talking about a sword or spear or what?
>>
>>2957491
More like a long needle.
This is all made of clay - depictive, not real.
>>
>>2957502
Check out the parchment, unless that too is made of clay
>>
>>2957506
Also clay.
It's a coffin-statue, like the others.
>>
>>2957515
Lore check, do we recognize this from religion or stories we have heard?
im off to bed
>>
>>2957515
tie rope
leave room
give pull
>>
I'm back
>>2957528
Church of The Authority had no polemic against this cult or heresy as you remember, but yours was only a parish church in an isolated farming village in northern Angle-land.
>>2957540
The same deal as the last two - skeleton, amulet, gas.
You're up to three amulets now.
Leaving the 3rd room, you see the sarcophagus in the room across is larger and more lavish - less roughly hewn but sharp edged, if still unpolished.
The grave goods were clearly more elaborate - and yet still trashed, perhaps even plundered of the plush cushions and gold wire.
To your right you can see the tunnel terminates in a large imposing stone door, barred with stone.
>>
>>2958842
Go into the final room with your staff raking the floor in front of you like a blind person. Let's get a better look at that room and coffin
>>
>>2958898
You shift aside the ornate chairs (rotten) and they collapse into dust. The coffin, unlike the previous, has roughs carving of implements of apparent agricultural use -
ah
no
not agricultural.

They're pretty varied, wow.
>>
>>2958902
Grab any loot
>>
>>2959058
It's all trash rotting things aside from the sarcophagus - and it is in there you found your previous riches.
>>
Rolled 3, 6, 1, 6 = 16 (4d6)

>>2957089
>>
oh
>>
>>2959264
we already have a character friendo.
Collaborative for now, too few people for this to work as different characters.
That said, any choices to make?
We're stood over a sarcophagus - the others previously contained a clay statue, within which was hidden a golden amulet, a skeleton and a poisonous gas.
>>
>>2959274
Obviously we open this one.
>>
>>2959280
This one is slightly different.
The larger coffin contains a fearsome looking statue of a snake-creature magician of some sort, and has on its finger a real silver ring. It couldn't be removed without breaking the statue
>>
>>2959288
>It couldn't be removed without breaking the statue
How do we know?
>>
>>2959288
Smash
>>
>>2959295
Nacht.

>>2959288
Could we throw a rock at it from the hallway?
>>
>>2959292
Because it's imbedded in the clay
>>2959295
Just this once, I feel I should remind you of the poisonous gas in the other statues, and that they were broken at a distance safely with a staff previously
>>
>>2959296
As you wish. It smashes open. You wander over, noting a skeleton, another golden amulet (so much gold, this could buy you a freehold - shame you can't admit you own it.
The ring glistens on the crumbling remains of the mummified corpse
>>
>>2959299
Yeah, if there's rocks handy then lets maybe try >>2959296
Or does the ring seem flimsy enough the damage if we hit it?
>>
>>2959304
A'ight. Do we have like, a bag, or should we come back for the treasure on our way out?
>>
I gotta go make cornbread. I'll see you guys in 20.
>>
>>2959314
You've been tucking them in your sash of sackcloth.
What do you want to do with the ring? Take it as well? Put it on?
>>
>>2959321
I used 4 tablespoons of baking powder instead of teaspoons,
didn't notice until it was partially stirred in,
then scooped out an arbitrary amount.

Wish me luck.

>>2959324
Straight into the bag.
>>
>>2959391
Jesus man, good luck indeed.
Where to next then?
>>
>>2959324
take it, leave this tomb for now
>>
>>2959401
Maybe the 4th room. Maybe just bail.

>>2959404
So what is our plan regarding >>2959304?
>shame you can't admit you own it.
>>
>>2959404
Are you sure you want to leave the tomb? There is nothing out there for you but starvation, and you'd need to take this to a city to be able to sell it, which is many miles away.
The hexcrawl comes later
All you have left which you can see, is the large stone door, which is barred- although seemingly on your side.
>>
>>2959416
Are you telling me i have to find food in this abandoned crypt not to die?
>>
>>2959452
There's food in the forest, you've been camping out in the unmanaged forest of your lord to poach and forage for a while. Have to keep your head low, of course. You're fine for food, and it is currently mid-morning. Stashing the amulets may be an idea of something to do outside.
>>2959408
Long term plan is probably try make it to another lordship, hopefully not a wizard or tyrant but you'll take what you can get.
>>
>>2959459
>Long term plan is probably try make it to another lordship,
That seems easier to do with less money, and we're already set for retirement.

>>2959452
Wanna leave the treasure where we found it (less weight), and bail with it as soon as we have food?
>>
Oh wait, we have food.

Yeah I'm thinking bail.
>>
>>2959466
I think you misunderstand me, it's unlikely you'll be able to slot in, but you can sell and continue to coast as long as you keep moving and keep picking up oddities.
And hey, you've got enough to work yourself to death for the rest of your life. Why not see if you can get enough to never have to work again?
Ever read any Vance? A bit like that.
>>
>>2959466
I would say the yearning for adventure is why we came to this tomb in the 1st place, no retirement. I also dont want to separate myself from the treasure.

I say take what we got and run. This is a dangerous place we almost already died here.
>>
>>2959472
>>2959483
Bailing is fair enough, not the safest tomb
none of them are
If you want to bail, you've already worked out your best routes - to the north, into the mountains - no one has come over that pass in decades.
The east - deeper into the forest. Wild, untamed, but not forever - we used to have contact along the Old Trade Road in your father's day, or maybe it was your grandfather's?
To the west and south is a no go - the neighbouring lords are all in collusion, talk of forming a true Baronacy.
>>
>>2959483
Sure, sure.

>>2959401
4th room. Admire crumbled scrolls. Open sarcophagus. Hallway. Throw rock. Wait. 4th room. Take amulet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qyYg_bfrlw
>>
>>2959518
Hah, yes. We've already done the fourth room though, friend.
All that is left is either the stone door, or attempting to sneak out through the wilderness.
>>
>>2959499
why are we afraid of our baron?
>>
>>2959532
Well, we were once a tanner's apprentice. You somehow lost this, why is up to you, and became a servant of a villein, the lowest of the low, as your family either would not, could not, or were unable to take you in.
You have abandoned this life, and being a deserter when your lord has only a few hundred tenants farmers makes you very, very unpopular. And then there's the poaching and stealing.
>>
File: 1538248274981.png (104 KB, 1815x1118)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>2959532
>

>>2959523
Alrighty then. Drag a sarcophagus into the hall. Stand it up flush against to door.
Drag another sarcophagus into the hall. Stand it up flush against the previous sarcophagus. x3
Standing in the hallway to the side of the sarcophagi, lift the door bar.
>>
>>2959555
You really are a cheeky monkey, aren't you.
What modules have you played then?
Don't ruin the games for everyone else.
>>
>>2959546
>We boned the barons daughter. Now he wants us tortured and killed
This a good backstory?
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>2959559
Fine I'll roll your save or die.
>>
>>2959569
Look friend, I would have given you a full explanation of the door and it's situations. And several chances. I don't do one action save or die.
>>2959567
Well, no baron yet, but you could have boned the daughter of the knight, certainly. Perhaps she was attracted by your rugged body, if not your wits (STR 15, DEX 16, WIL 9)
And since Mk1C is being a lil bitch, we'll likely have to move dungeons as he's intent on meta-gaming.
>>
>>2959574
>I would have given you a full explanation of the door and it's situations.
Pretending to investigate would be painful for both of us. I'll wait until another player does that with you.
>>
>>2959580
This is true. Would you like to bow-out, or we can head to another dungeon. Perhaps best not to bow out, since there's only two of ya sadly.
>>
I'm waiting, not bowing out. If you want to change the scene that's up to you.
>>
>>2959584
Uh, we could just leave for now. The dungeon seems dangerous, might just play it safe
>>
>>2959599
For sure. You know these woods pretty well, as a kid you often (on feast days and other free-days) would come out here for a while, sometimes with a couple other kids, sometimes alone.
You're camped up in the side of a crag right now, got a deer hauled up in there.
>>
>>2959604
Eat and stash away our valuables if we are not going to sell them any time soon
>>
>>2959610
You tuck them into the small nook covered with a slab of rock you found in the back of this little cave, along with your handful of tenth crowns.
You have a pottage still boiling from those, which you enhanced with deer. It's a nice meal, filling and restorative after your experience. Better than most anything you had back at home.
>>
>>2959616
Do we know of many dungeons or crypts to loot? If so, head over and enter one
>>
>>2959643
There are rumours of wizards in the east in the forest, and terrors of the past in the north, in the mountains.
>>
>>2959650
Well that sure sound nebulous. if that's all the information we're going to get, I vote north.
>>
>>2959664
Unless I hear any objections, that is where we will go
To the north, there is an old game trail. About a day's travel north through, you are into the mountains proper, where you must cross the Stream.
Do you wish to take everything with you? Hiking with your cookpot and deer carcass would make your life easier, but you don't need it for certain.
>>
>>2959674
spend some time here transforming the deer in to preservable rations then get going.
>>
>>2959754
That involves a lot of waiting, right?
Tan the hide while we wait, get an extra sack.
>>
>>2959754
You take a couple days to gather up some more food, and smoke your deer into jerky, making a couple potted meats while you're at it.
You then head north, for about a day. It's now late afternoon, and you come to the stream. There used to be a ferry slightly to the south west, but there's a ford north east, potentially passable at this time of year. Ferry might still be occupied, might be in pieces or might be in full operation (hopefully not, but ferry folk are strange enough you may get through.
>>
>>2959768
lets examine the valuables we plundered some more, see if we cant break the gold necklace down into smaller nuggets of gold. go to the ferry people
>>
>>2959852
That would absolutely be harder to carry.
>>
>>2959862
how so? dont we have pockets?
>>
>>2959867
We do not.
>>
>>2959873
so how in the world are we carrying all this stuff?
>>
>>2959884
Amulets around neck, coins and tinderbox in pouch, tongs hung over belt and jars in sling
>>
>>2959884
We have a sack.
>>
>>2959899
What sort of clothes are we wearing?
>>
>>2959904
Anglo-saxon tunic.
>>
>>2959884
First thing we buy is a kilt. Agreed?
>>
>>2957089
Settle a bet. Is DCC OSR?
>>
>>2960281
OSR adjacent
>>
>>2959925
>>2959884
>>2959643
I'm back.
Ford, Ferry or some other cunning plan?
>>
>>2959899
I would like to transfer these necklaces into the pouch, I don't want them out in the open. Maybe under the tunic?

>>2961008
Ferry
>>
>>2961077
Lets slip them into the waterskin if they'll fit. They won't stand out much unless it's empty.

>>2961008
The ferry sounds safest.
>>
>>2961094
With a bit of jimmying they just about fkt - it'll pass cursory inspection but nothing more.
>>2961077
A couple hours walk and you're crouched in a bush, observing.
The ferry is there, sure. Not adrift at least. The scattered outbuildings seem to be empty, although they're not as decript as they could be - the thatch on the toll-master's hut is without holes or significant mold - better made, or repaired?
>>
>>2961104
>fkt
This is why we don't phone post
>>
Examine toll-master's hut.
>>
>>2961104
No people around?
>>
>>2961111
Not that you can see immediately
>>2961106
On closer inspection, a couple of shutters are newly repaired, no paint but hammered into place back on their hinges.
>>
Are the shutters on the inside or the outside?
>>
How big is the ferry, is it stealable?
>>
File: 1470319751829.webm (134 KB, 532x354)
134 KB
134 KB WEBM
>>2961139
>>
>>2961153
well no one is around but the ferry is still here, so the question is can we steal the boat. Is it a simple small craft or is it a larger barge that we cant operate
>>
>>2961125
External.
>>2961139
The ferry is a simple raft with a rope stretching from one side of the Stream to the other.
>>2961279
You could pull it across yourself, or if you fashioned some form of propulsion you could potentially take it upstream.
>>
>>2961288
I say we take the ferry and pull ourselves across.

empty town = plague / bandits / etc
>>
>>2961300
Well, the Ferry was abandoned due to losing contact with the North across the mountains, nothing more sinister than that.
Who may have made residence since then is something you don't know.
>>
>>2961305
im not sure then, scrolling up apparently there is nothing to the north and I personally cant see any reason why we are going north.

Ill wait for someone else to decide what to do.
>>
>>2961319
North is the mountains, and one of your two possible routes to safety - the other being trying to cross the forest to the east.
>>
Examine toll-master's hut through shutters (if possible).

>>2961319
I don't want any bandits or giant rats blowgunning darts at us while we're trapped on the raft.
Crossing sounds fine though.
>>
>>2961401
At this distance you can see nothing
>>
>>2962250
While next to the window I am too far away to see anything through it?
>>
>>2962260
You want to sneak to the window? Roll unnder DEX, 1d20
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.