[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Who are more music artists like Tom Waits, Nick Cave, and Leonard Cohen
>>
scott walker
>>
>>50375159
check out music-map anon
put in the artist name and the closer to that name in the circle the more similar they are. helped me find tons of bands.

according to music-map Tom Waits has those guys near him and than it gets kinda spaced out. but Elvis Costello and Joni Mitchell are the next closest
>>
>>50375226
>music-map
Oh shit thanks
>>
>>50375159
Tom Waits is kind of a genre to himself.
You'd like Warren Zevon though.
>>
you mean pretty boy chads pretending to be gritty and "real"?
>>
>>50375226
I tried it out and it's either shit or considers both bands using guitars to be similar.
>>
>>50375675
Waits wasn't really a pretty boy type. You're thinking of Rod Stewart.
>>
>>50375704
I'm not sure where that comparison came from but compared to robots he is. he's got kind of a devilish charm to him. as for the robot alternative to nick cave it must be primitive calculators and the little band scene overall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1lOZYC0Lz4
>>
>>50375159
Johnny Cash, Jacques Brel, Leo Ferre, Serge Gainsbourg, Tindersticks, Morphine, Mark Lanegan, now the rest depends on whether you're male or female (if you're female you'll love the faux Americana from all kinds of modern "folk" made by guys with long beards, weird voices, and a guitar), which languages do you understand or want to get into (I can recommend stuff like Vladimir Vysotsky and Bulat Okudzhava if you can stand Russian for example, same goes for a bunch of other languages), what exactly do you like about Waits/Cave/Cohen, the themes and motifs, the actual arrangements, the exact type of lyrical poetry they have, because there are various "similar" people in completely different genres, I would even recommend Momus for example, and so on.
>>
>>50375578
no problem anon it's an awesome site if you really enjoy some band and want some more. Really was useful for me in 2013 on last.fm. I found so many bands im still listening to this day

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.