[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: oakley.jpg (43 KB, 474x716)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Is reading this worth my time?
>>
>>10064330
>Is reading this worth my time?
Look at author's name.
No.
>>
>>10064330
I read it. Yes if you need a little bit of motivation and insight. The biggest realization that I got after finishing the book was that I should've been teaching myself this whole time and not being spoonfed stupid material from my teachers through grade school.
>>
>>10064330
If you really want a good maths book, check out "The Secrets of Mental Math" by Arthur Benjamin. I know it sounds like a scammy goofball title, but it's co-written by Michael Shermer, and Benjamin is a god-tier mathbrain. It'll lay strong fundamentals for math thinking... then you can move on to other, more advanced books.
>>
>>10064339
I read this too. 10/10 would reccomend.
>>
>>10064339
After "Secrets of Mental Math"... Stanislas Dehaene's "The Number Sense" is good, though optional, since it helps you understand just how the brain does math, which can help you become a more intuitive mathematical thinker.
>>
>>10064347
Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer is a great book too, although not strictly about math... more about memory in general.
>>
>>10064330
>Is reading this worth my time?
Why don't you read it and find out?
>>
>>10064803
>read book
>find out if it's worth his time
>knowing if it was worth his time or not is now completely useless because the time has already been spent, worthiness irrelevant
>>
I found it helpful.
"To Cut Down a Tree in Five Minutes Spend Three Minutes Sharpening Your Axe. Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 of those hours sharpening my axe."
>>
>>10064338
You needed a book to realize that?
>>
File: TIMESAND___Cover_small.png (250 KB, 300x450)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
you should read this instead. It is way better.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1723762806
>>
>>10065428
not OP but I don't really blame anyone for not realizing how crucial self-learning is and how bullshit 90% of lecture / classroom - based learning is. It's a system set up to perpetuate itself, and it does so by convincing people they can't learn any topic without having someone recite it to them.
>>
>>10065610
Please elaborate. How is 90% of lecture/classroom stuff bullshit?
>>
>>10065628
It's about twice slower than self-teaching at best. Students don't realize this because teachers make you focus on the exam material. Basically you go to class to learn how to pass the exam. Self-teaching is less focused and it's easy to get stuck because there's no linear progress to the next exam, so you're not forced to skip material that is not necessary to pass or have a good enough grade.
>>
>>10065636
I agree. Too bad I need a degree to get a job in what I want... I wish I could just learn on my own.
>>
>>10065682
You can. Show up to class once a week to ask around for homework and exam dates. There's some courses where you won't be able to do that because the professor gets pissy about it and some others would just be too hard but you won't be attending any other lectures so going to those shouldn't be a problem. In my experience, anything up to ODEs is easy enough to not go to class.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.