[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: DCS2EL6XgAADsnO.jpg (268 KB, 900x1200)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
Why are mathematicians so terrible? One mathematician said that mathematicians are clearly smarter than everyone in the university and everyone except possibly musicians is dumb / not as good. They look down on you if you don't want to sign up to suck their dick as a grad student and then work for peanuts as a postdoc. Another spent most of the time in his lecture talking about his Dobermans, and how much middle school sucks, and how great his topology book is. They also all have illegible handwriting, never give complete solutions / proofs, talk down to students, tend to be racist (discriminate against international students) and sexist (e.g. "the reader ... he", implying that women cannot read math books), and in general are terrible human beings.
>>
You need a specific one track mind to be successful, don't be angry that these people who are able to focus intently on an interest also happen to be very ignorant of other people, its a give and take quality.
>>
>>9675371
Complete proofs are really tedious and would probably serve you better to find it yourself.
>>
>>9675371
Jesus man, I'm sorry that they misgendered you.

Oh wait....rats I did it too!

Get an IQ you pleb, Mathematics is a very elite field, where most of the population are put off because of its difficulty.

Some own up to their lack of logical and analytical prowess and go on to excel in other fields more conducive to less capable minds. This is not a bad thing.

While others like you throw a tantrum and blame the field or the professors or the books, etc. Anything to defer from the fact that you are not capable of doing mathematics. A very childish attitude I must say.
>>
>>9675371 >>9675386
There is a name for this behavior:
Arrogance
>>
File: 1493126466961.png (45 KB, 741x643)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>9675371
Lol, ok
>>
File: Photo de Saïdi.jpg (51 KB, 842x595)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>9675371
Lol
>>
>>9675393
>>9675398
So Physicists and Astronomers are the True supreme "Master Race" among the College majors
>>
>>9675402
I don't feel that smart and I'm very lazy too
>>
>>9675402
no, this is the kind of thing a brainlet would conclude.

If you were high IQ then you would have gone to an elite university and while you were at an elite university you would have noticed that the distribution of mental strength and ability among maths students is significantly different from other subjects in that the distribution for maths students has a much fatter positive tail. meaning that the occurence of superhumans studying maths is much more frequent than it is for other subjects.
furthermore it is also true that among science subjects, math students at elite universities easily possess the intelligence and mental ability to do very well if they instead decided to study any of the other science subjects at their university, whereas only a tiny minority of students from those other subjects would be able to do well if they had at the last minute been required to study maths at that elite university.

So mathematics students are indeed the most intelligent group of students, but this difference doesn't show up at average universities.
>>
>>9675423
Do you have a verifiable source for your claim that mathematics students are capable of doing other subjects very well? t. mathematics major.
>>
>>9675386
>elite field

Then why are most of them so poor
>>
>>9675451
no, however you would agree that this is clearly the case if you went to an elite university and studied a science subject and interacted with the science and maths students.
The reasoning involved in the problems and questions in those other science subjects is less demanding than in mathematics so the body of mathematics students would certainly have been able to study those other science subjects and do well if that were required of them . the only potential issue would be motivation since the "stamp collecting" involved in other subjects could seem tedious to the maths student and beneath him.
>>
>>9675393
>>9675398
Again, those are based on SAT and GRE scores, which only math and physics students take seriously since their gradschool are more competitive (due to having no funding).
>>
>>9675423
>>9675467
>writing 50 paragraphs about math cucks being smart
Doesn't really seems so
>>
>>9675371
>except possibly musicians

This is the most retarded argument always made by retards who only have a vague notion of harmonics. Being able to play music has about as much connection to mathematics as a being a cashier does.
>>
>>9675371
Mathematicians have become increasingly defensive as more women and minorities entered the field. These days they are realizing that everyone can get a mathematics degree that they found so difficult in undergrad.

So the new trend among mathematicians is to claim that only those who can enter elite graduate schools (for math) and do research in certain fields are "real mathematicians". Of course, if you do this with any profession, just claim that everyone with the degree except for the hyper specialized are not really a part of the profession then you'd get the same effect, but lets not dwell on that.

Now the real source if their inferiority complex is the fact that they know anything about the other fields of study. Even professor in mathematics tend to show extreme bias towards students from other degrees, especially when they outperform does with a pure math background. In pursuit of their specialization they heavily neglected other fields of study, they are scared of their lack of knowledge other fields and so try to dismiss it. They always try, in vain, to draw a correspondence to real world problems in other fields to fields of math that they are more familiar with (a natural reaction for a mathematician). For example they will look at heavily coupled DAE systems and dismiss it because the only notation they recognize looks simplistic without even realizing even the simulation of that system is extremely non-trivial and that progress has not been made by mathematicians on popular problems even after several famous prizes were put up. In truth the average engineering (a male dominated profession capable of both abstract and practical thought) postgrad is far more capable on both the mathematical modelling and computing solutions than any math professor.

So currently a mathematicians role in our society is strongly in question and they must defend their existence with the most bitter of arguments.

t. postgraduate degrees in math and engineering
>>
>>9675494
Nah. University programs, math included have become objectively shit over the last 50 years as emphasis on equality took precedence over emphasis on ability.

Out of fear of being labeled racist/misogynist/bigoted/homophobic, most professors will pass anyone.

This has nothing to do with mathematics specifically other than the fact that mathematics is almost universally considered to be more difficult and rigorous than other stem degrees and by extension, non stem degrees.

There exist faculty who still remember what it was like before academia was turned in to high school 2.0 diploma mills, and try to keep the field unsullied. Those are the people being attacked in threads like these, and instead of fighting back, they are simply retiring. Before long, math will be just as dull and loose as physics or cs.
>>
File: smug.jpg (145 KB, 1332x1864)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>9675371
Mathematicians sound pretty cool to me. Going by your description.
>>
>>9675371
Undergrads and early grad students overidentify with their field in all areas in STEM, maths students aren't worse than anybody else ready.

Postdocs and profs continue living in this bubble, and because other fields don't add to maths, but only take from maths, nobody is there to pop it. That is an issue with almost all theoretical fields, as the more practical ones have to deal with people from the "outside" way more often. Theretical CS researchers are also horrible who think that they solve the mysteries of the nature of computation, while nobody even uses their recent theories anymore.

>(e.g. "the reader ... he", implying that women cannot read math books)
that is bait though
>>
>>9675467
>clearly
I thought you were larping as a math fag, enjoy minimum wage
lmao
>>
>>9675371
Too smart to have empathy.
>>
>>9675371
I agree. Let's just kill them.
>>
>>9675467
There is no better way to look like a brainlet than forming your principle argument as a tautology, also its just demonstrably wrong. Most stem majors are near illiterate.
>>
>>9675769
Okay now, maybe you might think it is bait, but I am heavily discouraged from reading a textbook whenever it uses "he" as an official pronoun, and I am a guy. I cannot imagine how it must be for the feminine form.
>>
>>9675423
>haha no ignore the data math students are the smartest pls trust me
how is anyone this insecure
>>
>>9675965
I feel sorry for you
>>
>>9675965
I know this is bait because it is abjectly retarded
>>
>>9675371
Do you need a specific type of mathematician for some task and your strawman won't do? It would be a lot more logical to create a Mathematician wanted thread.
>>
>>9676001
Well you should not be. At all. I am completely fine. And I am doing quite great now. Thank you.

Here are some inspirational videos, to prove my worth, thank you very much:

> Why the wage gap is not a myth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNLKI3hKcaY

> How rape culture has evolved throughout history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyhHYI-Pkk4

> What is thin privilege? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3U2i6-jKg
>>
>>9676028
Wage gap is a myth. If women can do the same work as men, a free market would hire the person that would do the job for less.

Rape culture isn't a culture. #metoo is though and it's sad that laws are passed to protect this minority group.

Thin privilege does not exist. Throughout history, the upper class has been far or obese.
>>
the last thing the writer of a math textbook wants to think about is whether or not 'he' used as an official pronoun will offend anybody, the chosen language should not matter, as long as the contents of the math textbook are clear in a mathematical sense

are you even trying to read the book? or are you just trying to scoop up opportunities to feel offended?
>>
>>9676108
Wage gap is demonstrably not a myth, it just isnt the old "70 cents derp" that was perpetuated. Women are at a disadvantage when negotiating salaries for whatever reason.
>>
>>9675393
>>9675398
More like physicists are the autist weirdos.
>>
>>9675386
This.
Mathematicians are the top dogs. ALL other fields are subsets.
There is a saying, "Physics is the only real science. The rest are just stamp collecting".
Well, physics is nothing but stamp collecting as well. There is only mathematics.
Mathematicians make better physicists, engineers, and philosophers than all those who specifically study those fields.
>>
>>9676200
mathematicians make absolutely dogshit physicists and any mathematician worth his salt would agree with that because the absolute rigor of mathematics prevents the wild leaps necessary in physics
>>
>>9676200
>Mathematicians make better physicists, engineers, and philosophers than all those who specifically study those fields.
how’s freshman year going so far?
>>
>>9676204
>>9676206
>t. triggered engicucks or physishits.
>>
>>9676214
seriously, did you enjoy calc 1?
>>
>>9676108
I apologize. Did you watch the videos? They are very lovely, and you might learn from them! Haha, if only you know how hard it is to be a woman.

Watch the videos.
>>
File: bf9.jpg (105 KB, 756x1100)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>9676028
>>
Based mathematician master race
>>
File: 1494542751219.png (142 KB, 600x842)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>9675371
Are you sure those are all the reasons why you hate mathematicians? Or did one fuck your girlfriend behind your back?

I'm guessing you came home to a mathematician giving it to your girlfriend up the ass, since you sound like such an effeminate numale cuckold
>sexist
>(e.g. "the reader ... he", implying that women cannot read math books
top kek
>>
>>9675465
Because the most payed work is boring.
>>
>>9676865
Absolutely false.
>>
>>9676878
Yeah more like it's either financially or personally risky. The chill, safe jobs don't pay as much but I'll take that over having every major company and government investigate me for the rest of my life.
>>
>>9675371
>everyone except possibly musicians is dumb
proofs where
>>
>>9677254
Paraphrase of a quote from a mathematician. He is also a violinist.
>>
>>9675467
>Less demanding

Dude. I want you to do problem sheets in topological insulators. No math fag would be able to
>>
>>9676174
>negotiating salaries
>with a faceless corporation
good luck with that
>>
>>9676108
>a free market
is as mythical as the rainbow unicorn
>>
>>9675393
where is chem major?
>>9675398
Computer niggers over chemistry and biology? You've got to be kidding me
>>
>>9675393
>cs
Complete bullshit.
>>
>>9675473
Mathematics major here. I studied a month before the test. My first practice test I scored a 1380, and after a month I scored a 1490.
>>
>>9675489
Probably true for 99.99% of musicians...
Musicology can get very weird at a graduate level.
Search "stockhausen" or "xenakis" to get an idea.
>>
>>9678313
This is grad school. The worst of the computer niggers dropped out to make video games
Besides, chemistry is an empirical science that draws brainlets
>>
>>9678313
>computer niggers over chem brainlets
Makes sense to me. Biology is a different story though
>>
>>9677191
why would anyone spend decades of their life studying something more strenuous and time consuming than any other field to be broke as fuck?

What rational human chooses to be a slave when they supposedly have the intelligence to be a free well off man?
>>
>>9676174
women tend to be less risk takers and so they tend to not have the balls to bargain for high pay. Every woman I know that cried "but men get paid more at my work" never asked for a raise for the years they worked there.

At that point they are just complaining about a self-fulfilling prophecy
>>
>>9678850
You actually think Biotards are better than computards?
>>
>>9678485
I know Stockhausen as one of the pioneers in electronic music. Didn't know he was on some crazy math based music stuff though.
>>
File: gooddddayum.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>women tend to be less risk takers and so they tend to not have the balls to bargain for high pay.
>Every woman I know that cried "but men get paid more at my work" never asked for a raise for the years they worked there.

>mathematicians make absolutely dogshit physicists and any mathematician worth his salt would agree with that because the absolute rigor of mathematics prevents the wild leaps necessary in physics

1. Physicists make more than mathematicians.

2. There are more male physicists than women.

3. Physicists take more risks.

Therefore, mathematicians are more likely to be women or men who are bad at negotiating, thus ending the "math vs. physishit" debate on /sci/.

QED
E
D
>>
>>9675398
>>9675393
Kind of surprised philosophy is so high.
>>
>>9675773
I work as a software engineer lmao
>>9675957
why are you trying to use words you don't understand? I made a positive claim that mathematics students at elite university have a much fatter upper tail in terms of the distribution of brain power than that of other science students and told you how you would go about verifying this for yourself. That's not a tautology you brainlet , lol.
>>9675969
That data doesn't reflect the state of affairs at elite universities where the strongest students go. Does hearing this make you offensive because you were only able to get into a mediocre university? lol
>>
>>9675371
>than possibly musicians
???
>>
>>9679533
What a shit proof. You definitely aren't a mathematician.
>>
>>9676204
This. I had a difficult time during my masters in physics because of all the approximations and lack of rigor that was being thrown around.
>>
>>9675494
>the only notation they recognize looks simplistic without even realizing even the simulation of that system is extremely non-trivial and that progress has not been made by mathematicians

Mathematicians sounds like the philosophy major of stem studies. Sad!
>>
>>9676824
>math majors
>sex
>>
>>9680926
>haha no the data doesn’t count because I don’t like it
mediocre b8
>>
>>9678313
its there, below compsci
>>
>>9677883
>is as mythical as the rainbow unicorn
says the typical retard who can't cut the competition.
>>
>>9675393
>Average IQ in engineering is ~125
bull
shit
>>
Ya I know this feel my math prof told me to kill myself when I asked him p=np shit.
>>
File: bait.gif (1.9 MB, 500x249)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
>>9675371
>sexist (e.g. "the reader ... he", implying that women cannot read math books)
>>
>>9681516
Reminder that Construction Trades and Technicians (without Bachelors and PE) aren't Engineers.
>>
>>9681516
Plumbers aren't Chemical Engineers
Car mechanics and Welders aren't Mechanical Engineers
Carpenters and Bricklayers aren't Civil Engineers
Wireman and Electricians aren't Electrical Engineers

Just as Mathematicians aren't High School Teachers
>>
>>9675398
>patrician tier economics
>>
>>9681591
Economics is the most (math) based and red-pilled non-STEM major.
>>
>>9675371
What happened to my utopia. I wanted to talk to some people about cool science stuff but instead this board is full of obvious bating shit-tier threads propagating memes.
>>
>>9681596
economics is literally the opposite of redpilled.
>>
File: Scheckels.jpg (118 KB, 600x600)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>9681740
>economics is literally the opposite of redpilled.
This.

Economics is Jewish
>>
>>9681596
>>9681591
It's still easy as fuck, however. And so much shit is dumbed down for economics classes. That stat is kind of surprising to me desu. I suppose it could be due to the fact that these are based off of GRE scores, and your average "business school reject" econ major isnt really looking to go on to a PhD.
>>
>>9675398
>Switching from EE to Biomedical Sciences for convenience.
I feel gross looking at this.
>>
>>9680932
I haven't taken a proofs class yet. I will eventually though, as I'll probably need it for grad school. I'm not a math or physics major either, but I'm in a math heavy major.

Also I was drunk and felt like shitposting.
>>
>>9681746
You've got it the other way around - rejects from economics programs go to business school

and econ is only as hard as the amount of math you want to learn. take a look at any economics research journal and you're bound to find graduate level math. the reason its dumbed down is because a lot of econ programs just teach the bottom line implications of the theory without bothering to teach much of the mathematical foundations. almost all economic theories have accompanying mathematical definitions
>>
>>9682442
In undergrad I feel like I'm right. I could be biased, I go to a large state school where enrollment in the business school is limited for undergrads, and the dumbasses that aren't able to meet the requirements typically filter in to econ, comm, or something else that could be applied to business.

Do agree with you for grad school though, the econ rejects will get their MBAs.
>>
>>9682560
idk, maybe it depends on the program

my school has 3 different econ programs at varying levels of rigor, and the highest has to take at least calc III and diff eq, i think

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.