[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

If a universe came into existence once, doesn’t that mean it can happen twice? And if it can happen twice doesn’t that mean it can happen to infinity times? And if it can happen to infinity times doesn’t that mean this exact universe can happen twice? And if this exact universe can happen twice doesn’t that mean I can be born twice? And if I can be born twice doesn’t that mean as soon as I die I’ll go back to being a baby again?
>>
>If a universe came into existence once, doesn’t that mean it can happen twice?
Questions like this don't serve a purpose.

If blue rabbits eat cake, doesn't that mean sparkling hats are cursed?

If the Moon is made of cheese, doesn't that mean that Kurt Cobain's evil brother will paint a replica of Mona Lisa?
>>
>>9807041
fpbp
>>
>>9806931
Ignore this poster>>9807041

If we assume that the universe is finite, then yes, it can be created again. However, there’s no reason to think your consciousness must be confined to this body. If it were, you could be cloned, yet you couldn’t be conscious in multiple bodies at the same time. So consciousness is only unique when two or more exist at the same time. When someone is born, it makes no difference who is experiencing that body, so if the universe were repeated, you could be conscious in a different body at this exact moment.
>>
>>9807370
Is it possible that whatever makes up consciousness has infinite variations and thus yours could never be duplicated and when u die that is it
>>
>>9806931

we don't know wether it came into existence.
>>
>>9807041
It does in fact if you consider that the jam lies moldy in the kitchen and the rolling rabbit gathers no moss.
>>
[math] P ≠ NP [/math] because not all Penis are Nice Penis
>>
>>9807413
My point is you don’t have to be duplicated. There’s no reason why “you” must be conscious in this body and not your dog’s. It just happened that way at birth. If we were somehow able to create sentient machines, the same principle would apply, and they would all be unique only when they exist at the same time. If a woman had 10 abortions, the 11th would only be different from the 1st in genetic makeup. It’s essentially the same person. It’s not as if there is an infinite pool of unborn spirits waiting on their specific genetic makeup to be produced so they can be born. I don’t believe that an aborted child is semi-conscious for a few weeks and unconscious for eternity. It will simply be reborn and won’t remember the past life, because there is no link to the past “identity”
>>
The measure is never the what is measured. It is only the measure.
>>
>>9807447
You’re retarded. Souls aren’t real and you’re talking about souls.
>>
>>9807370
Wrong. Consciousness is unique to the specific brain it inhabits. Fuck off with your neo-soul ranting.
>>
>>9807460
No I’m saying reincarnation is real without souls. It’s the lack of any true identity that allows “you” to always be conscious so long as there is life.
>>
>>9807447
In my mind spirits don’t come into the equation because they do not exist. However consciousness must be made up of some stuff and if that stuff has infinite variability there is no guarantee that the right stuff that makes up your consciousness will be re rolled when the universe is reborn. This stuff by the way is very obviously not linked to your body or any obvious chemical reaction in your brain.
>>
>>9807467
Reincarnation is not real, with or without souls.
>>
>>9807468
That “stuff” is your neurons. It is totally and inseparably linked to your body and could only go somewhere else with a Moravec transfer or something of that idea.
>>
>>9807472
Ok if that’s true than I should be able to remove one neuron and stop existing.

Don’t neurons form and decay over a persons life time? If so then my consciousness must change all of the time without me knowing it. Weird.

It has to be more subtle than just neurons.
>>
>>9807498

uhm it actually does? No person is exactly the same e.g. 1 year from now.
And besides : we CAN alter the brain in order to change the "consciousness", e.g. with drugs, a lobotomy, a split-brain operation... neurological changes change the personality all the time.
>>
>>9807498
>Ok if that’s true than I should be able to remove one neuron and stop existing

No, retard. I never said that. The brain chugs along just fine when individual neurons are born and die just like our bodies don’t die when a single cell in your abdominal lining gives out.

>If so then my consciousness must change all of the time without me knowing it. Weird.

It does. It’s kind of impossible to notice ever since you retain past instances of “your” memories.

>It has to be more subtle than just neurons.

Nope.
>>
>>9807504
You can alter the personality but is that the consciousness?
>>
>>9807513
Yes, retard. Consciousness has a personality derived from memories stored as neurons and genetic traits.
>>
>>9807513

since i have no clue what you mean by "consciousness" ( and its most likely some magic woo term) i assume yes. you can take peoples ability away to pass the mirror test for example^^
>>
>>9807523
Mirror test is meaningless pseudoscience for determining if someone or something is conscious or not. This should be obvious when ants pass it but most mammals don’t.
>>
>>9807507
Ok so how many neurons make up the consciousness? Also there is no reason to believe that memory is linked to consciousness since there are people with no short term memory who have the same consciousness.

The fact is I don’t think the human race knows enough about consciousness in order to make any of this argument anything more than conjecture or just tossing around beliefs like religious zealots
>>
>>9807528

Cool, so define your "consciousness" and how to test it, and i bet you i can propose a way to take the ability to pass it away with neurological changes^^
>>
>>9807536
That’s it! Define consciousness! It’s a pretty tough think to pin down
>>
>>9806931

I think you'll find that answerable by this simple equation :

Sqrt Cmin / pi
>>
>>9807533
>Ok so how many neurons make up the consciousness?

A lot. Some parts of the brain are more focused on controlling the body than the mind, and others are the opposite. Humans can have quite large portions of their brain removed without becoming unconscious, so it possesses remarkable redundancy.

>Also there is no reason to believe that memory is linked to consciousness since there are people with no short term memory who have the same consciousness.

Bullshit rambling. No one has the same consciousness as anyone else. Some people have defective brains that harm memory creation or the ability of the mind to recall it.

>The fact is I don’t think the human race knows enough about consciousness in order to make any of this argument anything more than conjecture or just tossing around beliefs like religious zealots

We do, sorry. Damaging the brain damages the mind, so the mind must be destroyed without it.
>>
>>9807536
That’s quite simple. Things like sounds or sights that the brain receives are objective and can be reproduced with modern technology so external observers can observe it. We already do this with cats, though image quality isn’t exactly excellent. Consciousness is simply the observer in the brain.
>>
>>9807556
I didn’t mean that people with short term memory loss all have the same consciousness. I meant they have their consciences even though they don’t have their memories. I also meant to say people borne without the capability of forming short term memories.
>>
>>9807588
They do have memories, just really shitty ones. If someone lacked memory entirely, they’d be a fetus at the moment of becoming conscious forever and just lay on the floor drooling.
>>
>>9807556
Can neuron transplants be performed? If so could we take away neurons from something until it is unconscious and then replace those neurons with some from another body and restor consciousness? If so I’d like to see if it makes a whole new consciousness
>>
>>9807594
That’s fair I guess.
>>
>>9807595
Neuron transplants have already been performed on humans to treat stroke victims.

>If so could we take away neurons from something until it is unconscious and then replace those neurons with some from another body and restor consciousness? If so I’d like to see if it makes a whole new consciousness

That sounds ethically dubious but worth doing just to find out,
>>
>>9806931
No, but it does mean i theoretically had to reply to your shit thread an infinite times, it also means out there in some parallel universe your exact shitpost was engraved in the side of a planet by a supernova and aliens worship it.
>>
File: pug_by_stranj.jpg (220 KB, 750x500)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>all the naive materialism itt
>>
>>9807041

lmao at the state of 'science', absolute brainlet tier ideology.

>if i throw a rock at a window, and it shatters, does that mean throwing rocks at windows might make them shatter?

"wow lol, if blue rabbits eat cake, does that mean sparkling hats are cursed'?

this is science and it's for absolute idiots.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.