[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: file.png (46 KB, 593x295)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
What kid of software do engineers use to simulate compression and tension forces on an object?

I want to see how effective different arch designs are under pressure
>>
finite element method in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Finite_element_software
architects probably have something more special, dont know about their shit
>>
>>9860148

Looks like simcale might be able to do the job. No idea how any of this shit works but I was hoping to just prove a simple concept in regards to arch shape

https://www.simscale.com
>>
>>9860154
>No idea how any of this shit works but I was hoping to just prove a simple concept in regards to arch shape

There's going to be a few ways to do this and each of them have their own ways you could mess it up.
>>
You could do it quickly and dirty with SolidWorks Simulation, or ANSYS Workbench if you want to get a little more in depth. I never took FEA courses in my undergrad so I'm not sure what the actual advanced programs are that some of my buddies used.
>>
>>9860138

Anon stop trying to make nuclear weapons
>>
https://youtu.be/M_WaZMNeTyc
>>
>>9861506
I'm not I just want to see how effective arch shapes are to prove a point. preferably with free as in free beer software that doesn't cost $3000
>>
>>9861955
solidworks free if student
>>
>>9860138
Solidworks is literally minecraft tier complexity. i can teach a 12 year old how to do CFD with that shit.
>>
>>9861955
Solidworks has a student license, ANSYS has a student license. Your problem is something I may have undergrads do as a tutorial now, so thanks senpai.
>t. Grad student getting paid to write FEA tutorials for extra cash from my prof
>>
>>9863692
>>9863688

I'm not a student my dude, I have no idea how structural engineering works and quite honestly I don't really think I even know whast exactly I'm doing
>>
File: jEJO9PsZ_400x400.png (29 KB, 400x400)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
>>9863688
Everything is free if you're not a moron
>>
>>9864184
Um, utorrent is owned by the MPAA, the Motion Picture Association of America, and has been for years. But you already knew that, because you're clearly not a moron.
>>
>>9864188
I picked the picture of the first torrent client that came to mind. Either way, I don't know anybody who's been raided by MPAA death squads so far. I'm not American, though.

Whether or not some software package is free or not is a non-issue 90% of the time. Besides, most CAD, CAE or design software markets to businesses with their annual licenses and doesn't give a shit about some rednecks in bumfuck nowhere using it without paying. It would be more costly to track down and bring charges against every individual pirate shitter than they would make back. Do you really think Dassault Systemes or whoever is going to look for you when they make money hand over fist from legitimate businesses having to pay license fees? If anything piracy helps them as it helps increase their market share.
>>
>>9860138
so brah, are we talking like gravity supported arches and shit? Like do you need to take into account the fact that shit's made of blocks?
>>
>>9864970

no i just want the pure geometry. how stable one specific shape is compared to another when put under stress
>>
>>9864188
not him but the MPAA doesn't make solidworks
>>
>>9864180
pirate it. its worth it.

>I have no idea how structural engineering works and quite honestly I don't really think I even know whast exactly I'm doing

dude, i'm not shitting you when i say solidworks is video game levels of easy. literally just do the tutorials for the simulation package.
>>
>>9864200
>>9864188
so get this. Dassault honey-pots people with its software. they make their stuff very pirateable and will often distribute their own "cracks". they do this so that when you go to sell a design package built with that software, they make you buy the entire software suite with all the add-ons.

they don't give a shit about students and hobbyists.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.