[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: wojak.jpg (53 KB, 1600x900)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Do they exist? most likely yes
can you ever jump/switch places with another "you"' How would this go about?
IS there any universe where I'm famous/rich/?

im a depressive man, my last glimmer of hope of switching places with a universe where life is better.pls help me, /sci/
>>
>>9862591
>Do they exist?
There is absolutely no proof.
The most realistic option is Bohmian mechanics.
>>
>>9862591
But, if they did, and MWI is real, you should have a easy way to "move" to a "better" universe.
It's called quantum suicide. If it's true, you could experience life in other universe in which you're rich, for example. But for other people you would die.
>>
>Do they exist? most likely yes
Then how about you prove it and commit quantum suicide OP? Nothing stopping you. ;^)
>>
yeah but you need to build up speed for over 13 hours.
>>
>>9863399
No. This thought experiment states that for every attempt you try to kill yourself there is at least one outcome where you somehow survive and thus your conciousness continues from that world who is not much different from this. If OP commited suicide he wouldn't transfer to his ideal world but to world(s) where he simply has survived from this fatality
>>
>>9863539
Retard. There are ways to "move" to another "world" in which, for example. you win the lottery. You just need to be creative. An example could be:

Quantum Gambling

"We start with the purchase of a lottery ticket. The numbers are then fed into a computer that is programmed to scan the lottery results overnight. You are sedated and strapped under the weight, which can be released by a command from the computer. If the lottery numbers are not the winning combination this is to be triggered. So, after setting up the apparatus all you have to do is go to sleep. The only world that you will awaken into is one where you have won the lottery."
>>
>>9863552
1) Purchase the highest paying lottery ticket in the world. Preferably millions of dollars.

2) Program your computer to receive the winning number over the internet, and to send an electrical signal over some output port if the number does not mach your ticket.

3) Strap yourself with high explosives wired to be triggered by this output.

Voila! as your conscience must always survive in some universe, in this case, you force it to go through the most probable scenario of survival: you winning millions of dollars !

oh and:
a) Use Linux OS
b) Program to send the triggering signal on ANY error condition, including failed connections, exceptions, etc.
c) Use lots and lots of explosives so as to be killed and not maimed.
>>
>>9863552
Wouldn't that only work if the probability of the machine malfunctioning was lower than the probability of winning the lottery?
>>
>>9862591
>>9863399
>>9863459
>>9863539
>>9863552
Literally new age tier.
>>
>>9863559
It could happen anyway. But yes, if you want to make sure that you will appear in the universe in which you just won, you would want to make the perfect machine, to have more probabilities.
Still, it would be funny to watch the universe attempting all sorts of things to try and stop you.

Imagine: You'd be one minute away from the lottery result being announced, and the police would kick down your door looking for the terrorist whos been buying all those explosives. Or lightning would strike the power grid.
Or, the most likely of all events: You CHICKEN OUT!
>>
b-but i love this universe mummy
>>
>>9863561
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a movie made about this yet
But anyway one thing I've always wondered is granted this system, are the number of universes infinite?
If there are finite, then would it then be possible to "run out of lives?"
>>
>>9863564
Its not your life anymore than a clone of you is you.
>>
>>9863564
Yeah. But anyway, do NOT try this, even if you are likely to commit suicide anyway.
Many worlds interpretation is just an INTERPRETATION and there is no proofs of other "worlds".

I'll explain the two things you absolutely must believe in order to have ANY trust in Quantum Suicide:

a) the already mentioned MANY-WORLDS interpretation of Quantum Theory.

b) that ones perspective of consciousness only depends on the continued existence of "something", that is idependent of space, time, or matter. Only dependent on it being exactly like us.

although (b) is hard for me to explain, I kind of feel comfortable with the concept.
>>
>>9863567
>Its not your life anymore than a clone of you is you.
I would consider that me though
>Would you not take the star trek transporter if it killed you and then re-created you on the other side?
>>9863568
I find the anthropic principle a pretty good argument for quantum mechanics
Not to mention that there hasn't been proposed a conceivable way to prove the many worlds theory from inside a single universe, so it may always be a philosophical consideration
>>
>>9863570
>Would you not take the star trek transporter if it killed you and then re-created you on the other side?
I wouldn't. It's not my consciousness
>>
>>9863570
So if somebody made a clone of you, you wouldn't care if you died because your clone is you?
>>
>>9863584
Consciousness is an illusion
Regardless of which body it's in
>>
>>9863586
So? the clone would still not be me.
>>
>>9863585
My issue with this is a practical one personally.
I don't believe we will ever be capable of creating a perfect replica
But in a perfect world, yes.
>>
>>9863589
Then he would be just as convinced that you aren't "me."
>>
>>9863590
Than if a perfect replica is not possible you should dismiss the idea. But still you are a different individual who will jave connection in anyway after your death.
>>
>>9863598
>Then if a perfect replica is not possible you should dismiss the idea.
That was just used as a metaphor to equate to the sort of "time-line forcing" >>9863552
was talking about
I personally see this comparable to how one moment passes to another so long as time is quantized, which has yet to have been proven.
Are "you" not the "you" from 1 (insert smallest possible unit of time here [don't say plank time])-second from now?
>>
>>9863558
This needs to be done
>>
>>9862591
Yes they do and no you can't go there.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.