[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1531064565085.png (117 KB, 457x267)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
is 8 hours a meme?
>>
>>9862726
I have insomnia and chronic brain fog as a result.
>>
9 hours (that's how much i sleep)
>>
2.4 hours
>>
I don't think so; however, I really wish I didn't need to sleep. Losing about 1/3rd of your life to sleep sucks.
>>
>>9862726
Literally no one knows.
>>9862772
>life without dreams
no thanks
>>
>>9862726
For the last 2 weeks I haven't slept more than 3 hours a day. As long as I don't stay inactive for too long I work just fine. Don't recommend it though
>>
>>9862726
Lrn2meme fgt pls
>>
>>9862892
ouch, why the rough sleep schedule?
>>
There’s this thing I call a sleep ratio

My sleep ratio is 2, so for every 2 hours I want to stay awake I must sleep for one hour. For most people, their sleep ratios are such that they must sleep 8 hours in order to stay awake 16 hours. Coincidentally, this adds up to a full 24 hours, such that their sleep schedule will also not gradually shift.

Do this experiment: sleep for x hours and record how many hours pass before you start feeling tired. Chances are that your sleep ratio is around 2.
>>
>>9863003
lol
>>
>>9863014
cringe
>>
it depends on the person, but i find 8 hours is good for sustained thinking. with less sleep i can think in bursts, but i get drained very quickly.

the real question is, what about napping? i usually wake up in a brain fog after a nap, so i try not to, but sometimes i just get so tired in the afternoon.
>>
I met a literal genius once who proclaimed to only sleep 2 hours per night
The fact is we don't know enough about the brain to know, and it likely varies from person to person
This alone makes it incredibly difficult to study until we know why it varies from person to person, as you can't create a reproducible study based on a single individual
>>
>>9862726
I lift and exercise pretty frequently so I try for 10
>>
12 hours here, I love to sleep. Can anyone beat me?
>>
>>9862726
The amount of time that you sleep isn't the only relevant factor to the benefits of sleep.

It also matters that you're going to sleep at approximately the same time every night, keeping a consistent circadian rhythm is important, exposure to blue light influences the quality of your sleep too.

Sleep is critical for transfer of short-term memory into long-term memory, and people who brag about lack of sleep are probably brainlets.
>>
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/342/6156/373
>>
>>9863189
No you didn't
be quiet
>>
>>9863264
He was taking adderall to stay up almost indefinitely
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's not true
>I don't understand it either
>>
>>9863266
how long was he doing that for?
>>
>>9862726
I like sleeping 5-3 hours every night. Whenever I sleep for a long time, I get way too much improductive at morning, and also have a hard time resuming whatever I was doing before going to sleep.
Then I take one night when I'm already feeling tired of this sleep routine and sleep 10+ hours.
>>
>>9863269
Not sure. He was a friend of a friend and we barely talked. You could easily tell he was a genius though. For example is memory was frighteningly perfect
>>
>>9862726
>results may vary
Why do people ask medical questions seeking specific answers? How much sleep each person needs to sleep optimally is different.
>>
File: 1530464837743.jpg (992 KB, 1041x1700)
992 KB
992 KB JPG
If I eat sugary stuff in the morning I get sleepy right away.
That's why I binge on sugars when I am depressed and I eat less or high on fats when I have things to do.
>>
Sleep as much as you possibly can
>>
>>9863787

retard
>>
At least 7-8 hours for adults.

Actual sleep researcher here
>>
>>9865282
Where do you get the "At least 7" from?
What makes that more than marginally better than "At least 6?"
Also is it possible to "make up lost hours of sleep" in days prior to getting suboptimal sleep so as to not only return to schedule but also be as rested as had you not slept in?
ex:
Normal sleep schedule:
>Sleep 11p-6a for 7hrs
Go out drinking and get to sleep late:
>Sleep 1a-6a for 5hr
That night:
>Go to bed 2hr early to make up time
>Sleep 9a-6a for 9hr
So the question again
>Does sleeping the same amount of hours over two days on a similar sleep schedule negatively affect cognition compared to if you had stayed on the same schedule.
As far as I've been able to tell there have been mixed results, but I'm curious what you think.
Also if such a case occurs what would be the best course of action to avoid impairment?
>>
>>9862726
Sleep is a meme. take the Crack Pill.
>>
>>9862726

Fuck yes its a meme, the more acclimated you get to sleep deprivation the more brainpower you will get
>>
>>9863003
Why can't I function for 48 hours and then sleep for 24? Would be cheaper.
>>
>>9865298

You can do whatever the fuck you want bro
>>
>>9863003
>Sleep 8 hours
>Wake up
>Tired
What's my sleep ratio?
>>
>>9865291
Speaking of crack, why haven't commercial cocaine-tier uppers been developed? Is it really that hard to make a stimulant that doesn't turn you into a tweaker?
>>
>>9865302
No I can't, I will feel super tired. And I have never managed to sleep for more than ~15 hours even after days of sleep deprivation.
>>
>>9865308

Feeling tired is something you just get used to when you push yourself to focus on something important to you
>>
>>9862738
"brain fog" is not well-defined term

could you describe it using metrics like
>blood pressure
>heart rate
>volumetric oxygen consumption
>depth of breath
>calorie intake as a function of time
>blood sugar as a function of time
>measurable reaction time
>etc

>>9862892
Incorrect. You most likely sleep 5-6 hours. 3 hours for 2 weeks is a strong exaggeration.

>>9862781
>literally no one knows
Not really. Many people know something about it.
>>
I went through a period of about a year where I was only getting about 4 hours of sleep per night and functioning really well.
>>
>>9865352
Incorrect. It is known that humans need an average of 5-6 hours of sleep to survive. You are not a thermodynamic exception amongst 7,4 billion humans. You likely remember incorrectly or lie.
>>
File: 3214784187414812.gif (572 KB, 498x199)
572 KB
572 KB GIF
>>9865355
>It is known
>>
>>9865289
>Where do you get the "At least 7" from?
From dose-response studies of cumulative sleep restriction where the participants were allowed 3/4/5/6/7/8/9 hours or sleep per night (or to be more exact, time in bed) for an extended period. These seminal studies (Belenky et al. 2003, van Dongen et al. 2003) suggest that performance impairment is distinguishable once the sleep dose is less than 7-8 h. Moderate sleep restriction the brain can adapt to, albeit with reduced neurobehavioural performance. There is evidence that having adapted to insufficient sleep, recovery from sleep loss takes longer.
>>
>>9865370
Sounds interesting!
Thanks for the cites
>>
>>9865347
>Many people know something about it.
About as fine as you can cut it is that everyone needs *some* sleep, somewhere between how much you need, and how much you can get.
>>
>>9865298
Blame your circadian rhythm. Most organisms on Earth have adapted to the 24-h light/dark cycle.
>>
>>9865314
Nah after a certain point it massively degrades performance. You'll actually save time by getting some sleep in many cases because you will think and work more quickly and with fewer mistakes.
>>
>>9865425

If your performance begins to degrade you must invent creative ways to respark the passion for your interest
>>
>>9865355
You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>9865430

Or, if your a bitch, go to sleep
>>
>>9865430
Nigger your brain isn't magic. Sleep deprivation WILL degrade your performance. Sure, some people can cope with it better than others, but that's besides the point.
>>
>>9862986
I’m a surgeon.
>>
>>9865497
I'm glad people's lives are dependent on sleep deprived surgeons and other medical professionals.
>>
>>9865480

Nigger look up the world record for sleep deprivation. If you can't pull an all nighter once in a while comfortably you're a god damn pussy
>>
>>9865772
>If you can't pull an all nighter once in a while comfortably
We're not talking about occasional all nighters, we're talking about chronic sleep deprivation.

Besides, you are consistently and deliberately ignoring my point. Whether you can stay up and function to some capacity is not up to question. But being sleep deprived will decrease your performance at pretty much every cognitive or physical task. Spending more time awake is the sort of thing that rapidly hits diminishing returns. At some point you will actually SAVE time by having some sleep by improving performance.
>>
>>9865779

Im ignoring your point because i disagree with your perspective that we don't have control over our brains. There are many things you can do to improve your performance through sleep deprivation

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.