[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 0_XDBomn9g_t1rL7LE.jpg (176 KB, 1200x600)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
If you were floating in zero gravity in a location that could have artificial gravity through centrifugal force; would you still be floating if you didn't touch whatever constitutes as the ground when it starts spinning?
>>
File: abc.png (29 KB, 1749x977)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
Yes. There would be no forces affecting you.

On the other hand, if you were already spinning and jumped, you wouldn't just magically start floating, depending on the velocity of your jump, the ground would move under you, but you'd still land.
>>
>>9863545
So If I went to elysium and never touched the ‘ground’ I would float around? It sound obvious enough but still
>>
>>9863550
Didn't watch the movie but I'm assuming a spinning tube filled with air in which case no, the air carries the same rotational rate.
>>
>>9863554
To elaborate on what this guy said, the wind would accelerate you, meaning you'd eventually fall towards the ground since any direction the wind can take you puts you closer to the ground
>>
I think static wind would still act on you tho
>>
>>9863591
>static wind
?
>>
>>9863563
>since any direction the wind can take you puts you closer to the ground
except for directly towards the center of the circle, but good point
>>
>>9863836
I thought the pressure from the mass of the air would push you down like a centrifuge separates heavier elements from lighter. I thought you people were supposed to be smart! This shit wouldn't work in a vacuum though, unless you were attached to the spinning device and it was stable.
>>
>>9864002
And what I mean by that is that you are being physically spun on the end of a rope or pole from the spinning device.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.