[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is it a mathematical point traveling through linear time? Is it undividible source that encompasses all things, even time itself?
>>
>>9864977
It's a wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ball of...stuff
>>
>>9864977
The first thing you need to realize is that the "now" you experience is entirely based on the speed of chemical reactions
One effect of this is that your brain processes peripheral stimuli quicker than your central vision.
You can see this in real-time if you look at a semi-slow moving fan in your central vision and then swap to your peripherals
The fan will appear to be moving slower in your peripherals, which is exactly what you would expect if time is based on the speed of chemical processing.
>>
>>9864995
Holy fuck I literally just did this...

I think you're on to something.
>>
>>9865012
It leads to the hypothesis that the subjective speed of time is correlated to the speed of information processing
This gets really interesting when you think of the implications this has with trans-humanist efforts to merge computational power with the human brain.
For example the extreme of being able to experience an entire year in what would otherwise be considered seconds.
>>
>>9864995
Hah! I checked this on a blinking gif banner and truly, when I viewed it through peripheral vision, it definitely slows down. Amazing. Thanks!
>>
File: 1521171702250.jpg (15 KB, 558x226)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>9864977
It is an accepted deviation from 'linearity'.

這是從“線性”的可接受的偏差。
>>
>>9864995
>your brain processes peripheral stimuli quicker than your central vision
>therefore, the things in the peripheral appear to be moving slower
>merging computational power with the human brain leads to the extreme of being able to experience an entire year in mere seconds
something doesn't add up for me here..
peripheral things are processed faster, making them appear slower..
processing a few seconds with massive power would take a few seconds, but feel like it takes a year? is that right? I feel like you could expand on this to help clarify..
>>
>>9865060
>processing a few seconds with massive power would take a few seconds, but feel like it takes a year? is that right? I feel like you could expand on this to help clarify..
Sure
Your subjective experience of the time slowing down is due to the chemical signals being processed quicker than the otherwise central vision would (which is also your "normal" since you spend the most time processing visual information at that speed)
If we can extrapolate this visual phenomena to the rest of cognition we can assume that quicker information processing leads to a slower time perception in general (still a hypothesis and needs to be studied more).
Now I'm gonna do some napkin maths to explain theoretically how this could be happening
Lets say that your normal is processing 1000 images per second (again I know this isn't quite how vision works, but it's just for the metaphor)
If you could theoretically double your information processing speed, then you would process 2000 images in that 1 second, and as such experience the first 1000 images as 1/2 the "objective speed" (again this is just for metaphor) and the second 1000 as the second 1/2.
And thus you would process all 2000 images in the 1 second yet experience time as half the speed.
Again this is all hypothetical and this is just one potential explanation of the phenomena, and any other questions or opinions on it would be more than welcome.
>>
>>9865080
Yeah I think I had confused myself when reading your first two posts; thanks for that clarification!

>possible retardation incoming:
Maybe the "no central point of self" phenomena that is partially described here >>9864953 has something to do with the extremes (both ends) of what we are talking about here? Having experienced the state myself (I know this is contradictory, but language), I remember that some moments felt like hours, while other times an hour felt like a single moment. Coming back to the processing of information; sometimes in my experiences it has felt as if all immediate perceptions (say, within a few meters) were coming together and being process together, at the same time - while other times it felt as if the "sphere of perception" for lack of a better term, was shrinking, until it was an infinitesimally small point inside my brain..

Again, this could just be retardation..
>>
>>9865103
I personally theorize from my own experience that mental processing speed ebbs and flows generally unnoticeably to the "self."
This could potentially cause such phenomena at the extremes, but I would hesitate to speculate too much on what is essentially just a probable hypothesis.
Meaning that there's likely something going on, however there are a lot of assumptions built in such as information processing and subjective time perception having a linear relationship.
>>
>>9865114
unless subjective perception of time is inherent in subjective information processing (computer clock speeds, human clocks etc.) :P
>>
>>9865120
I like this
>>
>>9865103
Zen tradition has a concept of kensho. Maybe that point of view is helpful. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenshō
>>
>>9865206
YOUR CONTRIBUTION IS HELPFUL, FRIEND. THANK YOU!
>>
>>9865206
It's amazing to me how much of eastern religion coincides with our current model of reality
And not in some wacko "Islam predicted gravity waves" sort of way
>>
File: black-eye-galaxy.jpg (1.69 MB, 2056x2448)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>9864977
Since time clearly has a direction you could technically say that there's a 'now': how far the arrow has reached i.e the moment in the universe when there is the most entropy and it has expanded the most. I just don't think our consciousness perceives this now
>>
>>9865520
It’s just you wanting to see patterns and there being way more material than in the western religions
>>
>>9867226
Not true
Look at a concept such as Indra's Net
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indra%27s_net
>Each gem is positioned in such a way that if one moves they all will change
The major difference is that eastern religion creates models of the world that are abstract
Christianity for contrast takes our sense of the world as a given and builds the mythology from there
The fact that you think western religions are more intrinsically deep simply shows your bias

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.