[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/sci/ - Science & Math

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: uniofcambridge.jpg (59 KB, 900x900)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>enter lecture hall
>professor starts reading from powerpoint slides in a boring monotone voice
>tfw learn more self-studying than going to lectures
>BUT still forced to attend because muh mandatory attendance counts for overall grade

Why do top universities seem to have the worst lecturers?

I'm essentially paying £10k a year just to self study.

wtf is this BS /sci/
>>
top 400 are similar in teaching/difficulty. Sometimes it's just bad luck
>>
You go to a top University for the prestige of having went there and that's about it.
>>
>>9994499
because they have research they would rather be doing/talking about rather than talking to wet eared shitstains like you.

if theyre reading from powerpoint slides then atleast you cant miss anything.
>>
File: Logo.png (32 KB, 343x190)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>9994499
Same problem here, -ish
But lectures are mostly just so you know if you're keeping up, and maybe learning some a few things you won't easily find elsewhere
Most of your learning should come from self-study
>>
>>9994499
silly me. just realised you cant possibly be going to cambridge because oxbridge doesnt start until october.
>>
>>9994499
Professors are there to do research.
>>
File: Ethic in abstracto.jpg (46 KB, 600x800)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>9994499

How many people get taught by those sophists
in a year?

10k is a large amount. Even if it would be just 100 Students id t would be ridicoulous high for a bit of lectures and renovating the old building.
>>
>>9994499
Lol, that's the tuition for a middling school in Amerikkka
>>
>>9994499
>mandatory attendance
self-study in lecture brainlet
Top universities expects the students not to be brainlets so the true master race can actually contribute to science.
>>
>>9994499
Term hasn’t started here yet at Cambridge. Do you even go here? If so your post is 3-4 months into your holiday. Highly suspect.
>>
Top universities are there for research and to recruit more gunners pieces of shit to do more research for them. Degrees that lead to actual big boy jobs are becoming increasingly rare, unless you're into engineering or CS I guess. Even shit like nursing is forcing Honors years now.
>>
>>9995395
In Australia, the most expensive education is 30k per year, if you're a citizen the government pays for it all, but you have to start paying the government back a 3rd of your total loan when you start earning more than 45k.
So basically, you get an interestless loan that never expires and you only have to pay a max of 10k per year of uni, lmao.
>>
You are not paying for the lectures but for a chance to get a piece of paper that says you went to Cambridge. They have literally thousands of people eager to pay that money, so paying it doesn't entitle you to shit because you need their paper a thousand times more than they need your money. Get that through your thick skull.
>but I shouldn't have to go to class if I'm not learning anything!
Oh, you are learning. You're wasting hours every week because you didn't spend 10 minutes asking about the prof before getting into his class. When you get a job offer, are just gonna say yes without asking about salary or hours?
>but I could self-study for free
Well, then fucking do it. Stop paying and stay at home self-studying. See how that goes. Maybe then you'll learn how the world works. God, I fucking hate undergrads.
>>
>>9994529
>>
File: rwth.png (47 KB, 2000x870)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>9994499
That's really not been my experience.
Professors and other lecturers are extremely motivated and make you interested in the topic at hand, if you aren't already.
Slides are hardly ever Powerpoint. Usually it's Latex, except with a few chairs that actually use Windows (Ugh!).
Some lecturers even still write to transparency film on OHP. I love those lectures.
Attendance isn't mandatory most of the time.
Paying nothing except for discount on lunch ("social fee") and the mandatory public transport ticket.

Can't complain.
>>
>>9994499
Attendance policies make sense. I used to go to The University of Michigan where the math lecturers never had attendance policies and this situation happened ALL THE TIME:
>Math class graded on a curve
>Lecturer has required text listed in syllabus, but doesn't use it, opting for course notes.
>6/25 students show up regularly
>The 6 students have average scores
>But
>the remaining 19 WHO DIDN'T EVEN RECEIVE THE COURSE MATERIALS drag the average grade down below 50%
>The 6 students who deserve B or C grades get A/A+'s
>Of the 19 students who didn't go to class, half pass because of the curve and half fail randomly despite all of them really deserving a failing grade.

The other issue is:
>Student only shows up to exams
>Fails exams
>Whines nonstop to deans and administrators, gives bad course evaluations
>Deans and administrators force lecturers to make attendance policies
>>
>>9997150
but you never get a stem job because there is no tech industry so it balance out. even say canada has 100 times the number of high tech companies than aus with the same population
>>
>>9997150
>when you start earning more than 45k.
so basically if you study maths or physics you pretty much have free education in Australia.
>>
>>9994499
>I'm essentially paying £10k a year just to self study.

If you don't like getting jewed, drop out and start a successful company like Bill Gates.
>>
>>9997383
Stop meming, you were a student so you wouldn't know which type of students got which grades.

>Buh ur paying thousands for each lecture, ur just throwing ur monies away so ur da aktual brainlet
Brainlets like you are insufferable
>>
>>9994499
>£10k a year

you get what you pay for
>>
>>9997166
>wasting hours every week because you didn't spend 10 minutes aaking about the prod before getting into his class.
what? you can choose your prof or something? what's your point?
>>
>>9994499
>mandatory attendance
This is bullshit. If you don't show up, that should already be punishment enough, especially if you're paying for it yourself.

>>9994533
>if theyre reading from powerpoint slides then atleast you cant miss anything.
>implying they upload the slides
I've had a few where they said they wouldn't upload them because they were aware they didn't add anything to them, so uploading them would mean no one needs to even pay attention. Fortunately they were the book slides so they were easy to find.
>>
>>9994644
What do you study mate?
>>
File: 1528042113425.png (421 KB, 500x426)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
>>9997422
>>
>>9994499
pretty everyone is self taught at this stage now, i go to mandatory classes for attendance, otherwise i stay home and self teach. i fucking hate this and i wish the university would just die already
>>
>>9997422
kek
>>
>>9999000
>in a health field for university
>learned more in my first two weeks of hospital experience than I did in a whole year
>get to go back to university again and treated like a shit eating high school kid (which most of my peers are but still)
>have to jump through arbitrary hoops and absolute garbage about patient care for several more years
>have to listen to endless lectures that attempt to quantify techniques in practice that vary so wildly teaching a standard method is literally useless
>have to take entire courses that are literally just fronts for some shitty research the med school rejects are doing
>will be 30k in debt by the end of this just so I can keep doing what I'm doing on my experiences
I hope the university system dies soon.
>>
>>9998647
In most study courses you get a broad range of elective courses after you got the basics down.
Go to the interesting lectures with good lecturers.
That's probably what he means.
>>
>>9994499
>tfw cambridgelet

my lectures in oxford aren't mandatory nerd
>>
>>9999185
give it a few more years, some of my subjects are adapting, i have professors giving lectures purely online now since so few people actually bother showing
>>
>>9999432
>since so few people actually bother showing
Seriously?
Even with already recorded lectures, usually about 80% of students show up here.
I mean, that's the best place to ask questions about the lecture content.
>>
>>9999479
>ask questions about the lecture content
I can't even get near the lecturers because of all the fucking gunners wasting their time with conveniently informed questions
>>
>>9999496
Well, then visit him at his office.
They usually have a fixed hour for that each week.
>>
>>9994499
You're basically paying for a paper to impress boomer managers. University as a whole has kind of gone down the shitter in terms of the shit you learn. Not to mention you learn at the pace of the dumbest student in your class.
>>
>>9999538
Any recomendations for good professors/electives at cambridge?

I'll be studying engineering, first year.

Advice in general?

And >>10000000
>>
>>9999407

>Oxford chemistry department: have to swipe a magnetic card to get into building
>Cambridge chemistry department: merely tap an RFID card on the reader to be allowed effortless acceess

How will Oxfordfags ever recover from this

get rekt desu
>>
>>9998249
>you were a student so you wouldn't know which type of students got which grades

students often become tutors, especially ones that bitch about how above their job they are
>>
>>9997101
>What is medicine?
>>
File: 1536615902678.png (539 KB, 760x1032)
539 KB
539 KB PNG
>>10000388
t. studying at literally a refugee university

>tabbing
>not dabbing
>>
>>9994499
>Why do top universities seem to have the worst lecturers?
How do you know, OP? Clearly you are not in one of those.
>>
>>9999185
What health field are you in and do you like it?
>>
>>10000570
RHODES MUST FALL
>>
>>10000571
Look, it's really no surprise people are hesitant to drop names in this thread precisely because of posters like you, but by what fucking standard is OP's uni not a "top university"?
Fucking everybody knows about it, and really not in the "everybody knows about Detroit"-way.

Although going by his description, it really doesn't sound like a top uni, alright.
>>
>>10001984
>Look, it's really no surprise people are hesitant to drop names in this thread precisely because of posters like you, but by what fucking standard is OP's uni not a "top university"?
By the standards of the teaching practices that OP describes. Reputation is not what makes a top university; actual practices do. And those can change overnight from top tier to shit tier, even if a strong reputation stays around for a much longer time.
>>
>>10001991
>Reputation is not what makes a top university; actual practices do.

I agree, but in practice it's all about reputation,
and then there is that whole education vs. research thing.
>>
>>10002001
Well, that depends on what you want to get out of a university education. Certainly for collecting CV points Cambridge remains a top-tier university. I was grading universities in terms of the quality of the education you receive there, by which measure it is clearly not, if OP's story is to be believed.
>>
Instructors are usually better teachers than most professors. At least that's what I've experienced and it makes sense to me.
>>
>go to a top 100 uni
>lecturer pops up
>doesnt even move from his chair
>points at the slides with a laser and reads off of them
>>
>>9994529
Fucking this. Almost all of my 4th year classes have no lectures/exams. It’s all research based, with the prof editing your papers. There is no reason to attend uni other than having a piece of paper that says I spent 40k.
>>
>>10002065
>go to a top 1000 uni
>lecturer shows up late, has takeout, and greets us in a grumpy voice
>sits down and takes his Chinese food out the bag
>doesn't even look at us, has phone on one hand and eating with the other
>"take out your textbook and read chapter 5"
>all visibly confused, look at each other to confirm the outrageous situation
>20 minutes in and a half of the class just leaves in hushed anger
>he occasionally laughs at whatever is on his phone
>the prof just leaves early after he finishes eating
>>
>>9994499
This is bullshit, Cambridge don't have mandatory lecture attendance for any subject.

You don't go to Cambridge, you probably couldn't get in.
>>
>>9994533
>being a shit teacher is excusable because im not good enough to live off my real work
This is why everyone is incompetent.
>>
>>9997411
Canada has 10million more and isn't so isolated. Aus recently hit 25mill iirc.
>>
At Cambridge you have 2-on-1 meetings with a supervisor which is better than teaching yourself
>>
File: guy.jpg (21 KB, 311x266)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>9999185
this tbqh

>somehow end up working in a hospital
>I don't know anything about healthcare
>work in the central sterilization dept cleaning and sterilizing instruments
>now I know how to do a niche job that pays okay
>got more practical experience in a few months compared to years in uni

Is the blue collar worker truly the most redpilled?
>>
File: 2ded08e1.png (148 KB, 1460x1708)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>10002541
tfw I thought about supervising first year students, chickened out after initially signing up and was now informed that it's actually mandatory so I'll have to supervise some harder shit than I originally signed up for

I don't even know half the shit myself wew
>>
>>9997383
>>Math class graded on a curve
>>Lecturer has required text listed in syllabus, but doesn't use it, opting for course notes.
>>6/25 students show up regularly
>>The 6 students have average scores
>>But
>>the remaining 19 WHO DIDN'T EVEN RECEIVE THE COURSE MATERIALS drag the average grade down below 50%
>>The 6 students who deserve B or C grades get A/A+'s
>>Of the 19 students who didn't go to class, half pass because of the curve and half fail randomly despite all of them really deserving a failing grade.

Literally every upper-level physics course I took. My quantum prof was an absolute cuck who took an enormous amount of pity on the students. He slowed down the curriculum, moved tests back a day EVERY time for a "review session" that was the same problems as on the test, graded homewor based on completion (if you did it, you got full credit), made the tests 20 baby-tier conceptual problems you could answer just from reading the first 10 pages of the chapter + 2 of the easy questions in the homework section.

And there were still people failing the tests.

The only good thing about that class was that I got a 98% and ruined the brainlet curve. My classlets couldn't even solve the simplified schrodinger DE
>>
>>9999185
>>10002652

This attitude and aversion to academic study is why you will remain in an entry-level position for 20 years then move into middle management and never become anything more than that.

>Is the blue collar worker truly the most redpilled?

>haha fuck muh librul education brainwashing
>get a welding cert at a local community college
>ignore all the coursework and just do good in the labs cuz i got street smarts
now what?
>realize you never learned anything to prepare you for interviews
>realize that in the real world, employers expect you to be well-informed, able to problem solve and do more than just be a grunting, egoistic, weld-monkey
>can't get hired
>never made any connections through university
>don't have any research or projects supervised by a respected person in the field to advertise yourself with
>get a "temporary" job at a warehouse becaue they're the only ones whos only requirement to do the job is "grit" and being "redpilled"
>work there for 3 months spending every waking moment of your life trying to get hired somewhere else, constantly drained of energy
>get depressed from not getting hired. give up
>work there for 2 more years
>get moved up to $15/hr working a forklift
>your welding certificate now collects dust in the closet of your 1 room apartment
You tell me
>>
>>10002754
>upper-level
Aren't the "brainlets" usually already filtered away at that stage?
At my uni the introductory maths courses effectively do that, so in the fourth Bachelor semester you only have capable people left that also show up to lecture, and when you say "upper-level", I'm thinking Master.
>>
>>9994499
I'm 99% sure Tab's term hasn't even started yet
Fake and Gay
>>
>>10002788
Well there's a couple factors to consider.

I'm at a mediocre school. I got into the top school in the state but this school offered me a full ride.

The physics department is at risk of being downsized and maybe even cut entirely because no one wants to study physics. So there is pressure on them not to fail students so they don't end up with low graduation numbers.

The professors here are actually brilliant and genuinely care about teaching. They aren't here just for research, though they do publish regularly. They do want students to learn, realize how hard physics can be for mathlets and don't want to discourage anyone by failing them.

>At my uni the introductory maths courses effectively do that

Yeah that happens in the math department here since it's not at risk of being dropped. They use Spivak throughout the entire calculus sequence (even though the classes are 80% engies) and require mathematically mature writing for their tests and homework.

>when you say "upper-level", I'm thinking Master.

Most universities separate lower classes from upper classes. In physics, the general 101 course and intro to modern physics are lower level. Everything else is upper level (electromag, quantum, relativity, etc)
>>
>>9994499
>class 1
>teacher talks about science history
>mentions what he's gonna have for lunch
>spend 20 minutes of a 90 minute class doing problems

>class 2
>do problem X
>literally calculating a derivative
>20 min later, he says to do the next problem, same thing
>tells us to leave 15 minutes earlier
>attendence mandatory

class 3
>spend 60 minutes / 90 reviewing last year's material when we're 1 month in the semester

class 4
>professor teaches/reviews the same thing he has been doing for the 4th week

I wish I had dropped out in the first year
>>
>>10002805
>spend 60 minutes / 90 reviewing last year's material when we're 1 month in the semester
chemistry?
>>
>>10002009
It's complete bollocks mate, Oxford and Cambridge term dates haven't even started yet.

Wow some people are gullible fucking retards
>>
>>10002802
Thanks for the write-up.

This doesn't add up nicely, though:
>The professors here are actually brilliant and genuinely care about teaching.
>My quantum prof was an absolute cuck
I see it's because he didn't want anyone to fail.
>>
>>10002805
That's an exercise course and no lecture, right?
>>
>>9997383
>Math class graded on a curve
This is the first sign that it's going to be bad
Here in Germany (HHU) there is no curve grading. If 70% would fail the exam is checked. But if it solvable in the time given? Well, guess those 70% should prepare for the second exam
>>
>>10002833
American schools are businesses when it comes to teaching undergrads, and people don't like businesses that "give up" on them by failing them.
>>
File: Sun_Comp_br.jpg (291 KB, 732x595)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>9994499
Because the US education system is stuck in the 1800s.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.