[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_1664.jpg (78 KB, 956x836)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
What are some cool/unique fantasy races? Non savage beast races?
>>
File: 8867-30063-25041.png (254 KB, 549x515)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
frogfolk
>>
File: IMG_1655.jpg (222 KB, 900x886)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>
>>55683735
Humans.

Humans are the most unique, diverse and best fantasy race.

If you're not playing human you're either playing a dumb stereotype or an equally dumb subversion of stereotype. It is literally impossible to play nonhuman as well as human, they will always be special snowflake cancer.

Nonhuman races should be NPCs only.
>>
>>55683792
Humans are literally the most snowflake race without being able to admit it.

>my character's race specializes in being "adaptable". That means they're good at everything and can do anything the other races can, and often better!
>human prodigies will be better at any other race's specialized magic, craft, or fighting techniques than even the ones who created and practiced it for their entire lives
>and they die younger, so it can be so tragic when the non-human characters end up outliving them.
>oh, and they still conquered the entire world, and are the most populous and generally successful race
>and everyone thinks they're hot and totally wants to have sex with them! they can have magic hybrid babies with anyone! elves, orcs, even dragons!
>and destiny and prophecy, and all the Gods except the weird racist ones love them the best, which means they're the ones destined to be the real heroes
>even if a plot didn't start as being specifically about humans, it will mutate into a story about the perseverance and survival of mankind, or mankind saving the day for everyone else
>>
>>55683844
See? Humans are just cooler.
>>
>>55683792
I can't, because if I do I'll be accused of being an optimizing minmaxed roll-player
>>
>>55683792
This but unironically
>>
>>55684036
High there samefag>>55681631
>>
>>55684044
Nope that's not me
>>
File: tech-kobold.jpg (1.86 MB, 2448x3264)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>55683735
No joke I made kobolds into intresting society, by making all kind of different tribes.

They all live in small or giant cities underground where everyone do what they do best. So I have kobolds who train and ride giant spiders as cargo beasts, blind bunch of undead hunting fanatics, a group of kobolds with magical cybernetics that make warforged and even small group of druids who act as farmers and sometime doctors and midwifes.

And all this started with a bunch of small draconic people who work underground
>>
>>55683735
>unique
The only way to get a truly unique race is going to be to effectively write out an encyclopedia article for your new OC species and, if you can vaguely art, draw them. It will be cool and suited to your campaign and table, but whether it has a larger audience is going to depend on a combination of factors, including whether or not the creator even shares it beyond the confines of their group.

If you want to develop fantasy races, I highly suggest reading through the Wikipedia page on Humans and taking detailed notes. Figure out where a race could diverge, why they would, and what other effects such a divergence might have. Even if you're going for a "beast" race, start from human because that will ensure that you're focusing on the actual aspects of the sapient creature.

Pay careful attention to the parts on the brain, psychology, and thought. The temporal lobes and prefrontal cortex have increased in size disproportionately over the course of human development, so understand what those areas relate to and then explore your options for the encephalization of other species. The parietal lobes, for instance, could be disproportionately enlarged in a fantasy race, giving them a greater emphasis on the integration of sensory information and object manipulation.

Remember that your goal with a race should always be for its members to showcase as wide a range of personalities and idiosyncrasies as humans do. And, yes, that means that some individuals will be highly atypical--just as is the case among humans. But that should not be presented as a binary thing, but as a continuum. And, yes, sometimes that will mean that the exact same character could be played as a member of multiple species without changing dramatically. It's just that, in each case, the character would be at a different distance from and angle to the race's "average."
>>
>>55684213
>Remember that your goal with a race should always be for its members to showcase as wide a range of personalities and idiosyncrasies as humans do.

This is false though. All non-human races should act the same.
>>
>>55684229

t. falsflagging hfy shitposter
You already shitposter one thread into the ground, isn't that good enough for you, you contrarian assmongers?
>>
>>55684273
It will never be good enough for them.
>>
>>55683735
I once made a race of deer/ungulate-people as a request from /pfg/, however the results were incredibly autistic, so I'm not sure if it's cool at all
>>
>>55683735
Amphibians
>>
>>55683735
>Non savage beast races?
Found the furfag. If you're going to make races that are literally humans in every regard but with animal characteristics, why don't you just play as a human?
>>
>>55685001
>non-human races cannot be civilized
>>
>>55685001
Because I think it's fun?
>>
>>55685001
Because humans are the most savage race of them all. Sorry I don't want to play a genocidal Mary Sue HFY race just because some internet memer still gets triggered by furries.
>>
It's fun to explore the culture of a beast race
>>
File: 1506656070852.png (71 KB, 634x729)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>55683792
>>
>>55684988
How is that an amphibian? That's a snake.
>>
File: TP For my snake hole.jpg (30 KB, 311x476)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Savage beast races speaks of a lack of imagination. Just because humans have indoor plumbing doesn't mean everyone else has to shit in a hole in the dirt.
>>
>>55685001
>races that are literally humans in every regard but with animal characteristics
The thing is, most people never bother to fully explore this aspect of it. People rarely bother to think of what kind of technological, clothing, or other needs a civilized, but distinctly non-human being would need due to their physical or mental differences. People rarely think of how they might develop tools or other technologies that mimic what humans or other races made, yet were clearly designed by an inhuman mindset, where the thought process to even come up with it is different. Savage beast races are the laziest shit ever because there's no speculation or world building involved, you just slap the beasts with identical vaguely caveman, native, or other variety of barbaric aesthetics with no further development.
>>
>>55684178
Kobolds should be purged
>>
>>55685337
It has a fish head but breathes both in air and underwater.
>>
>>55685901
No, those who are triggered by furries should be purged, because for fuck sake worse of anons are like that. Terrible furries are too, but by now we got more terrible anons.
>>
>>55684988
Why does he have a coconut?
>>
>>55686267
He's making the most of his penny-a-pinch
>>
File: 1499290716292.jpg (35 KB, 341x354)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>55686239
Was this post made by a very triggered and very furry yoda or something? It's barely readable
>>
>>55686239
furries are retard who live their fetish like it was something above the other fetish, like a way of life
It's just something that make your dick hard, no need to put it everywhere, imagine if femdom or tentacles were doing the same, we'll end up with character either being unable to talk to a woman without wanting her to beat him to a pulp or with lovecraftian races who rape whomever they see
Fetish should stay in the bedroom, around the table you play a character, not a fuckdoll so no fetish
>>
>>55684988
Dunkleosteus is a fish you mongoloid.

Well the threads been shat up already so lets try to make the best of it.

For one, beeing inhuman in character is not a requirement for a beast race.
Visuals are just as good a justification as any other.
I tend to find the best way to do a beastrace is to think in terms of what is familliar vs what is not.

If they are too simmilar to humans they become boring. if they are too different they are unrelateable and not suitable as player characters.

One example of a good beastrace, also one of a beastrace that has been ruined by furfags in its own game, are the Charr from guild wars.
Non human body sturcture, their culture makes sense within itself but is still relateable to some degree. They still act like humans individually.

On the contrary we got Argonians with their very human body structure and seemingly human outlook on life who upon closer inspection are far more alien than anything else in the world.

If you want civilized beastraces the Lizards from Divinity could be up your alley. They are simmilar to everquests Iksar in the sense that they are civilized LE Lizardmen who have built an empire on the backs of slaves, beeing unapolegetic about it.

Either way i think the key to a good beastrace is to strike the balance between Inhuman and human, aswell as having an interresting body structure that isnt too close to human but not the "talking animal" variety.
>>
File: langur_monk.jpg (18 KB, 273x410)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Monkeymen.
>>
>>55683792
HFY fags are cancer
>>
I haven't seen an RPG with mole-people yet.

Having the ability to burrow around while being a horrifying freak of nature would add a whole new dimension to gameplay.
>>
>>55688175
I'd like to see a race of star-nosed molefolk who exlusively manipulate tools with their nasal tendrils.
>>
File: DLD30TdVoAA8xBL.jpg orig.jpg (811 KB, 2310x2560)
811 KB
811 KB JPG
Bird people are always top aesthetic imo
>>
File: Star-Nosed-Mole.jpg (55 KB, 590x332)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>55688207
>mfw the stars are right
>>
File: Mossfolk.png (453 KB, 1200x999)
453 KB
453 KB PNG
>>
>>
>>55688284
huh, smoking would be especially bad for birds
>>
>>55689658
but he's a bad bird anon
>>
>>55689658
He's a nazi, I say let him suck on tar for the rest of his days
>>
File: gasp.gif (1.1 MB, 320x278)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB GIF
>>55689666
bad bird trips confirms bad bird
>>
File: 1401245615987.jpg (215 KB, 899x1284)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>
>>55684229
REEE

Some races can be similar but other races can have dynamic range. Like gnomes.

In my campaign, there are zones belonging to certain races and others where it's a melting pot. Each with its own goal for their nation and how interactions from them affect each other.
>>
>>55688053
Post more monkey men
>>
File: 1495557974760.jpg (134 KB, 601x500)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
God damn furry thread!

I like deer people.
>>
File: sharkhunters.jpg (472 KB, 1205x780)
472 KB
472 KB JPG
Otters
>>
File: C-41mA2VwAAhNG-.png orig.png (2.39 MB, 1488x1049)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
>>
I really liked the undine race pathfinder had. They had neat racials. The air one was cool too.
>>
>>55689098
Hmm, I'll allow it.
>>
>>55683735
Space cat girls.
>>
File: otterCrosbow.jpg (144 KB, 600x900)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>55691861
Otters are top-tier.
>>
>>55683735
The Bizarro Warhammer Fantasy Skaven, and Orcs

>Sun Worshipping rats that live in Monestaries of Shaolin/Polynesian Orcs
>>
File: 1474058169533.jpg (184 KB, 921x1007)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>55683735
I personally like the idea of a race of inanimate objects that gain sentience. Like years of being used by sentient life, all that energy rubs off on the object until it begins to feel and think, and even manifest a physical form to carry itself around, taking on the personality of whoever used it most .
>>
>>
File: 1456637209591.jpg (70 KB, 720x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>
>>55693021
redwall series. LOVED the otterfolk
>>
>>55683735
I'm putting together a setting where the races are normal vanilla humans, humans with ancestry of fiends or celestials, amnesiac non-reincarnated soul people, and a handful of vermin people, including beetle shoguns, crab slaves, and if dothraki were cockroaches.
>>
After 1500 hours (I'm not proud) of Guild Wars, and reading the lore in the run up to GW2, I was really blown away by the way they handled the charr.

They start as kind of a generic antagonist on the other side of The Fantasy Giant Wall That Keeps Us Safe (tm) in the beginning area, but over the course of Guild Wars Prophecies (the first campaign), you gradually learn more about their culture.

They're split up into four "clans", which are dominated by the priest clan. The priests worship these big fire entities, which give them their magic. At the beginning of the campaign, they basically set off a magic nuke that destroys the Wall, the castle, and kills off the entire countryside. It turns out those big fire entities are actually dicks, and the charr have been double crossed by this human cunt who's a doomsday cultist, kind of.

The PCs are busy on the other side of the world cancelling the apocalypse and all that. The charr are busy slaughtering the priest caste for fucking up their homeland with the collateral damage. During the next campaign on that continent, the charr are having this massive civil war.

In Guild Wars 2, 250 years later, the charr have gone full atheist and are now a dominant military power in the world, because once they stopped being religious fucks and constantly in-fighting, it turned out that they were actually insanely good at big war machines.

Also, they turned me furry.
>>
>>55694650
It's bizarre to me how Guild Wars 2 can have the Charr and Asura, but also have the Norn and Sylvari. Charr are such a well done race with a great backstory, a great culture with varied people, and a well defined silhouette that is distinctly non-human. Asura, while not on the same level of the Charr are still neat with their whole underground colleges that almost worship the sciences as a gods and are also distinctly non-human. Then you have the most uninspired "Skyrim" audience race with the Norns that are literally just big humans that live in the snow. And I don't think I have to elaborate on the nightmare that are the Mary Sue-vari.
>>
File: skaven-lads-637x360.png (468 KB, 637x360)
468 KB
468 KB PNG
Skaven are coolest and fairly unique.
>>
>>55683735
I've asked myself this same thing and it's something I've considered a lot because I've been working on a no humans fantasy setting for a while now. The problem I've run into is that I still have like 4 humanish races. A capital issue I'm having is that I still want the races to be humanoid. I don't want a situation where I create this truly alien setting, but nobody wants to spend any time in it because everything is some weird form of multidimensional jelly coral creature that uses time travel as currency and sustains itself off of dreams and mathematics.

So I have humanoid races, but I don't want the setting to have humans. I thought, sure, one human/elf type race to ease folks in, but now I'm in a situation where my 'ease them in' race might as well just be called humans. Sure they've got some distinct features that make them slightly alien, but they're still fairly human in culture and shape. The worst part is that I have some, what I think, are pretty unique races, but they're so alien that I don't really believe they can lead the setting.
>>
I've been having this exact same issue with a race I created. I thought about how they would evolve and become a sapient race on an alien world.

My main problem is that I keep getting stuck on bipedal humanoids with beast characteristics. Not like a wolf man, but shit from all sorts of different animals stuck on a humanoid.

Unfortunately my imagination is lacking on how to make them far more unique then "head, torso, two legs, two arms". A part of me wants to make the humanoid cause I can work of that, but another part of me worries they are just another beast human.
>>
>>55695760
Holy shit I wrote
>>55695790
And posted it then read yours. Guess we are both having the same problem.
>>
>>55684947
It sounds cool enough. I'm interested, at least.
>>
>>55683792
Derek?
>>
>>55694650
>>55695589
Its why I have no characters in GW2 that aren't Charr.
>>
>>55695614
I like them. They do have the "race of hats" syndrome in the sense that they are all assumed to be backstabby, cowardly and evil with very little variation allowed between individuals in terms of personality. On the other hand it's nice to have a beast race that is something other than the 'noble tribal warrior' stereotype.
>>
>>55695614
my nigger
>>
>>55695867
Here, the Wendiabe: the result of a dickass Fey who wanted a race of murderdeer, then got bored halfway through
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A0q5DEoX2fNWVSNVUaheeFOAjtBN0NQoS85s5SbZN-Y/edit?usp=drivesdk

Really, it's not just deer, but can be used for most Artiodactyla
>>
File: Proportion example.png (909 KB, 1471x1915)
909 KB
909 KB PNG
>>55695790
>Unfortunately my imagination is lacking on how to make them far more unique then "head, torso, two legs, two arms".
Fuck with proportions. Humans are typically eight heads tall, half of which is the legs. One head for the pelvis, two for the torso, and one for the...well...head. The arms are roughly two heads each, with a hand measuring something like three-quarters of a head.

Sketching out truly inhuman proportions can give you a good starting place on making a race look alien without having to flip through a bestiary.
>>
>>55693112
That is a very cute ratgirl.
>>
>>55695589
"Large humans" is a difficult enough concept to bring across as a distinct player race. It's why Goliath have that uncanny place in my heart where I wanna play nothing else, but then again I feel why bother with gray ooga booga humans when there's shifters and half-orcs if I wanna play a ferocious and strong character, various beastraces to fill that savage role, dwarves for that mountaineer flair or just plain woodelves for "such nature" characters.
>>
>>55684213
You mean like Greeks did when they invented harpies, centaurs, satyrs, medusas, etc?

Or the ancient Norse (or whatever germanic savages) when they invented elves and dwarves?
>>
>>55685893
>implying beast races themselves are not laziest shit ever
Slapping various animal heads on a human body is the pinnacle of creativity. It would be the fantasy equivalent of forehead aliens, except even forehead aliens are often more thematically/culturally thought-out than beast races.
>>
>>55697690
no the laziest shit ever is to just take humans and copy a human culture from real life.

For some reason people think this is ok.
Guess what, because it is. Just like animal people.

Sure i could draw a fucking hexapodic slug beast with a bird beak and spend 3 years coming up with a fictional language but that doesnt make it appealing.

There is nothing wrong with things that arent exactly reeinventing the wheel.

There is no intrinsic value in novelty if the novelty is shit.
>>
>>55697690
The laziest shit ever will always be the human, dwarf, elf trifecta.
>>
>>55697366
Oh hey, you actually delivered!

Race looks neat. Bulk of the text could use an editor to deal with typo/grammar errors but other than that 9/10 would use in muh setting.
>>
File: 1477494437194.jpg (86 KB, 736x948)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>
File: 1435475281570.jpg (576 KB, 800x1068)
576 KB
576 KB JPG
>>55702587
Post more gryphon.
>>
File: 1435476818268.jpg (375 KB, 604x863)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>55703143
Gryphons are the cutest mythical beast.
>>
File: 1435476651952.jpg (1.18 MB, 857x1200)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>>55703162
Your fantasy race can domesticate gryphons like horses.
>>
File: 1435476735659.jpg (271 KB, 502x762)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>55703195
Besides hauling, flight feathers work well for fletching, and you can make coats out of the down feathers.
>>
>>
File: 1435475834837.jpg (452 KB, 1200x848)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
How does /tg/ prefer their gryphons' cat-bird ratio? I personally like more cat than bird, around 4:3.
>>
>>
File: 1435476572549.jpg (738 KB, 1200x889)
738 KB
738 KB JPG
>>
File: min-max gryphon.png (498 KB, 786x720)
498 KB
498 KB PNG
>>
>>55703338
I'm with you. I'm essentially a cat base with bird accents kind of boy. Beaks and bird eyes are standard easily, but everything else is up in the air so long as cat is more prominent.
>>
File: bird cats.png (1.67 MB, 1200x1450)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>55703809
>>
File: gryphonmount.jpg (503 KB, 906x862)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
>>55703195
>>
File: 1435475344748.jpg (575 KB, 1200x811)
575 KB
575 KB JPG
>>55703855
Would you go so far to say that gryphons are flightless? You could easily have something à la >>55702587, where the shoulder muscles are nowhere near strong enough to actually cause lift. Perhaps something like a chicken's pseudo-flight?
>>
File: umbrella shrug.jpg (68 KB, 240x370)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>55693155
You're looking for tsukumogami, Japanese spirits that arise in household items (most famously umbrellas and paper lanterns) after a hundred years.
>>
File: 1435552163202.jpg (234 KB, 700x827)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
fluff
>>
File: 1435513904858.jpg (218 KB, 544x625)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: 1435476891397.jpg (1.99 MB, 3000x1930)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
My folder's getting bloated now. Thanks, /tg/!
>>
File: -.jpg (588 KB, 1920x1175)
588 KB
588 KB JPG
>>
File: ni-o-img002-3.jpg (134 KB, 900x1141)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>
>>55697649
You're a single person with something like eighty years at best, not an entire culture with generations to develop and interpret your ideas.
>>
File: IMG_2580.png (157 KB, 350x300)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>
File: 1424529637.jpg (826 KB, 1280x824)
826 KB
826 KB JPG
>>
File: TripMonkey.jpg (122 KB, 596x1000)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>55691646
>>
When they die throw reincarnation makes a dice roll from dice games of course feats may define aesthetics
>>
File: w0t.jpg (86 KB, 1280x960)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>55704499
>>
File: PZO9040-EvilMonkey.jpg (94 KB, 762x1000)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>55704463
>>
File: wutvoker.jpg (42 KB, 1102x658)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>55704499
>>
>>
>>55683735
Tiste Andii/Edur/Liosan. Jaghut. Imass. K'chain Che'Malle/Nah'ruk. Forkrul Assail.
>>
File: 1bzDQKN.jpg (169 KB, 440x650)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>55704607
Cool design.
>>
>>
>>55689927
This kind of reminds me of art from SMT, but I dpn't remember any demons that look like this.
>>
>>55697412
cancerpatient.jpg
>>
File: 1435477055353.jpg (253 KB, 900x1062)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>
>>55683735
Sentient elementals. Golems.
>>
File: 1421334628741.jpg (513 KB, 1600x924)
513 KB
513 KB JPG
>>55704543
>>
>>55685412
Tell that to India and much of the underdeveloped world.
>>
>>55685412
Humans in the Middle Ages p much shat either on the ground (if they were outside) or in chamber pots (if they were indoors). Likewise I generally take it for granted that humans in the most fantasy settings probably shit either in holes, in chamber pots of some kind, or on the ground/in the water outside, unless it's a particularly advanced highly urbanized civilization.
>>
File: 863428_original.jpg (161 KB, 539x768)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>55693021
Dude, I freakin love otters, I use them as a reskinned halfling replacement in my games.
>>
>>55708197
>>
>>55708219
>>
File: 1421801985819.jpg (283 KB, 1280x702)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>55708245
>>
>>55708263
>>
File: shoebill.jpg (535 KB, 1280x1811)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
>>
>>55683735
Aranea: Genius wizard giant spiders who can shapeshift into human form and who don't want to be dicks to everyone.

Diaboli: Fiendish looking peaceful and friendly anarchists who were forced to flee from their home dimension after it was devoured by the Far Realm.

Tel-amohothlans: Elf/orc crossbreeds who actually combine the best traits of both parents. Especially the drow/orc version.

Kobolds: Driven, smartarse little dragonfolk who make up for being puny with brains, magic and, above all else, cheating.

Bladelings: The first worshippers of the God of War and Conquest who allowed themselves to be turned into living weapons to better serve him, but abandoned him when he dumped them in favor of the goblinoid races.

Hobgoblins: Rugged, disciplined humanoids whose deepest defining trait is not being a bunch of assholes, but a strong loyalty to friends and family.

Gnolls: Just read 4e's "Playing Gnolls", it says it all far better than I could.

And that's off the top of my head.
>>
File: 1365982581956.jpg (97 KB, 598x900)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>55706372
>>
>>55685893
Since we're referencing SciFi, the actors and writers of each divergent race seem to be able to fill in cultural details as they go. Nimoy, in effect, created the Vulcan race in far greater detail than Roddenbury planned, the Vulcan pinch and Live long and Prosper were both collaborations. Vast amounts of Klingon life were filled in by Dorn on two shows. Ferengi was similarly created by the writers and actors.

If you plan on introducing a race, let the players in on the fun and steal all their best ideas. I run Dragons as a pseudo-reptilian races most are confused about in the details. This allowed the introduction of other non-reptilian races with little fuss. I currently have several races 'descended from Dragons, Reptilemen, Serpentmen, Naga, and some others and none are set up as men in suits or with forehead/nose work. Shamelessly, I admit that a great portion of the details are created by players as we go. I didn't know beforehand that one of the Draconian races swap eggs with other communities or that another 'develops' Draconian features as they age.Both drove the story along.
>>
>>55688053
Awww! So cute!
>>
>>55692831
Space
Pirate
Amazon
Ninja
Cat-girls

Steve Jackson Games
>>
>>55693155
Have had one composed of 'spent' magical items that form a 'swarm' lifeform in the past, but nigh impossible to balance for player use. The best a player has been able to put forward was about level 5 in strength!
>>
>>55695760
There are several fantasy lines, mostly comix, that render humans into the background or as non-core races. Elfquest and Poison Elves come to mind, but the movie Wizards is good too.
>>
File: 1372609938375.png (1.4 MB, 989x1280)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
>>55709032
>>
File: 1378319173682.jpg (145 KB, 894x894)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>55709234
>>
Can we stop posting monkey kings, I'm getting Dota PTSD
>>
>>55688207
>>55688300
Honestly I'm surprised no one has done star-nosed mole "dwarves" with their tendrils exaggerated into a "beard".
>>
>>55708986
>Bladelings: The first worshippers of the God of War and Conquest who allowed themselves to be turned into living weapons to better serve him, but abandoned him when he dumped them in favor of the goblinoid races.
Their new edition backstory is so generic.
>>
File: Dota_Monkey_King.png (70 KB, 256x144)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>55711248
>>
File: weird race fantasy.jpg (416 KB, 1400x910)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
I think there is some value in creating fantasy races that aren't exactly beasts and aren't exactly elves/orcs/dwarves either. It can be hard to do but if you think of the race visually it's a lot easier.

I also tend to create races more based on a need for an archetype then anything else. Have a big guy race, a magical race, a pastoral/comfy race, a sneaking thieving race, and then maybe a religious or technological race plus your humans.
>>
File: SMITE.png (425 KB, 600x799)
425 KB
425 KB PNG
>>55683735
what I've done since day 1 is basicly using non-human sapient races variations of humans, mutants basicly.

the biggest reason is introducing archetypes with unique features since we use a system that has only a LVL-stat as a base for all attributes + a fallout-style set of skills that determine pretty much everything else.

the other reason is because it allows you to create a fun party (freakshow) of misfits, from that one guy with the oversized arm to poofball McMurderface
>>
>>55712934
Oh, right, because "nobody knows who the fuck they are or were, they just live in one of the most inhospitable places in the multiverse worshipping their home as a living god and murdering anybody who comes there" is SO fucking original and unique. Truly, that's a backstory that makes them an integral part of the multiverse and which generates so many plot points.

NOT!
>>
>>55713291
Pic is just less interesting Protoss.
>>
>>55683789

>that's where you're wrong, kiddo
>>
File: 1505956024316.png (2.1 MB, 1024x1366)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB PNG
You know what's cool? Ratfolk.
Rats are dripping with symbolism and history, and you can do any number of hats or tropes and have it work thematically.

Tinker race? Lab rats.
Popular Perception? Filthy Rogues.
Redwall fan? Go apeshit.
Subversion? Have a race of clever nobles sitting in ivory towers.
Rats are fantastic for villians or heroes and I wish they were more common.

>>55695614
>>55697564
>>55697286
>>55693112
Wise motherfuckers.
>>
>>55715680
>Freya Crescent
My man
>>
>>55715868
She's living proof that Rats fit well in fantasy.
>>
>>55696082

They're pretty fun. Helps that they have some batshit crazy stuff to set them apart from most other armies.
>>
File: IMG_0778.jpg (203 KB, 1101x536)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
>>55683735
Literally anything from mechanical dream, didn't really have any beast races though.
>>
>>55716742
>mechanical dream
Fuck yeah. Nice to see that somebody else has heard of it.
>>
>>55716742
>>55716883
Tell me about them, anons.
>>
File: 1365107833019.jpg (208 KB, 600x910)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>55711248
Can't escape the ape!
>>
>>55708197
>skinned halfling

Proceed...
>>
>>55717031
Is it true that Monkey King's rod can always get any size needs be for the challenge ahead?
>>
>>55716992
You kind of need to understand the setting to understand how the races fit into it. Here's a quick rundown.

>Characters reside in the world of the dual world of Kaïnas and Naakinis, a 30,000 mile disk lit by a sun-like orb called the Pendulum. This disk is surrounded by the Sofe, a 40-mile-tall wall of black ether that kills that few, if any, have ever returned from. Kaïnas (the rational world) and Naakinis (the mythic world) exist with overlapping topography and ecosystems. Flora and fauna of Kainas are scaled normally by real-world standards, while Naakinis exists on a much larger scale (such as the "Kioux" trees that reach many miles in height).

>The Pendulum spends roughly ten of each day's thirty hours beyond the Sofe, creating night-like darkness. During this time, a phenomenon called "The Dream" manifests, becoming stronger as less and less light permeates Kaïnas. The Dream is a fabulous and dangerous world that overlaps with reality. It is initially hazy and hallucinatory, becoming as solid as reality during the darkest parts of the night. Areas where the Pendulum does not shine are affected by permanent manifestations of the Dream.

>The Aran world is a separate existence, accessible only in places the Pendulums' light cannot reach (underground or deep underwater). It is fiercely primordial, rejecting inorganic matter and operating by rules entirely different from reality. The creatures inhabiting Aran are unpredictable and poorly understood.

>The vast majority of the setting's population depends on the weekly consumption of the orpee fruit to survive. Without orpee, a rapid and excruciating death is guaranteed. Orpee naturally concentrates a life-force called "eflow" that fuels life. The politics and economics of Kaïnas are primarily driven by the collection and distribution of orpee, as it is an absolute requirement for life.
>>
>>55717099
That sounds fucking amazing. Will check out more.
>>
>>55717099
>Ten races can be found in Kaïnas, none of them human.
>--Emovan: Aquatic craftsmen with a strongly collectivist society.
>--Frilin: An intellectual plant-based race who do not require orpee to survive.
>--Gnath: A highly rational people who are the driving force behind modernization.
>--Inaïs: The only race able to harvest orpee, who live as passionate ascetics.
>--Nayan: A deeply passionate and charismatic race driven by a powerful martyrdom complex.
>--Odwoane: A diminutive race of mimicking laborers who instinctively gather and act in groups.
>--Solek: A race that emerged from the Sofe, characterized by their silence and efficiency
>--Volkoï: A race bred for war and physically dependent on a constant flow of adrenaline.
>--Yaki: A collection of tightly-knit nomadic tribes with a strong understanding of the Dream.
>--Zïn: Extremely rare, solitary beings who carry within them a volatile Aran entity.

The attached pdf is an introductory / teaser sort of overview of the game. Starting on page 11, there are quick, one-paragraph descriptions of each race. It's more focused on their role within the setting than anything else.

DL link to rules -- https://mega.nz/#F!iwxRETYC!92YZNGq7TKlSeEFBCMOWYA
>>
>>55717121
I think the mechanics are a bit clunky, but the setting is fantastically imaginative.
>>
File: IMG_0779.jpg (65 KB, 700x427)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>55717121
It is, sadly game is obscure as fuck, so think they are out of business.
>>
>>55683792
>i can't adapt to a specialized role so i'll just play a human where i can be my dull boring self
>>
>>55684178
>They all live in small or giant cities underground where everyone do what they do best

It's like a subterranean, reptilian, My Little Pony.
>>
File: IMG_0847.jpg (123 KB, 640x443)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
Beyonders races weren't bad either.
>>
>>55717374

What's the rundown on them?
>>
>>55704829
That's a Kaneko Kazuma (Major artist of SMT for decades) design, but it's from Maken X, a game where you play as a sword.
>>
File: 1365966817103.jpg (44 KB, 800x600)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>55717090
That's what made him such a hit in the Heavens~
>>
File: 1439671621465.jpg (153 KB, 704x544)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>55718430
>>
>>55718456
>>
File: PF Charau-ka Rebel.jpg (36 KB, 445x595)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>55718471
>>
File: 90716.jpg (92 KB, 400x460)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>55718484
>>
File: vOdGfRt.jpg (61 KB, 900x564)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>55718491
>>
>>55718510
>>
File: Black_Skaven.jpg (137 KB, 408x436)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>55716437
I dream of an RPG that would let me play as a rat who slowly climbs his way to the top of his clan on the literal backs of his comrades.
>>
>>55718523
>>
File: 1372609724965.jpg (221 KB, 870x685)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>55719187
>>
File: 1499322775277.png (795 KB, 842x473)
795 KB
795 KB PNG
>>55683735
I don't allow beast races in my campaigns.
>>
File: 1422312089214.jpg (32 KB, 400x323)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>55719244
Not even the noble platypus?
>>
>>55719361
not even tieflings.
>>
File: MM Girallion.jpg (27 KB, 428x603)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>
File: PF Olujimi.jpg (90 KB, 761x934)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>55719519
>>
File: PF Angazhani.jpg (66 KB, 692x1004)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>55719540
>>
File: PZO9040-FlyingGorilla.jpg (79 KB, 833x1000)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>55719612
>>
>>55719627
>>
File: brain mole.jpg (10 KB, 258x263)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>55688300
>>
>>55713789
Yes, mysterious background that can be adapted to your needs with a similarly mysterious voice on the wind leading a prophet, who again mysteriously hasn't been seen for years opening yet another plot hook, to guide them literally through hell to a promised land that was inhospitable but became a new home for them alone with the blessings of their god(?), paired with a slightly unusual relationship structure is a lot fucking better than "le original creation of X god that abandoned him after he abandoned them". That's literally just the copypasta'd origin for gnolls and a bunch of other shit besides.

It doesn't matter what edition, kids that came in on a new one and take the new lore as gospel are always the worst cases of d&d induced retardation.

>NOT!
Or maybe you're just trolling, I can only hope.
>>
>>55719244
Same. I present it as "no races outside of core", but if players ask special permission I usually allow them unless it's a furfag race. Works like a charm
>>
>>55719897
>a prophet, who again mysteriously hasn't been seen for years opening yet another plot hook
Now I *know* you haven't read their original lore; Night Feather is *still* leading his people as their immortal Priest-King, according to Planes of Law. So it's not that mysterious at all, it's just "here's a bunch of weirdos, they'll kill you if you go near their home, so stay away".

Just because it's *old* does not mean that it's *good*. Need proof? Zaerith Menyar-Ag-Gith. Aka, "The Great Githzerai". Aka, "The immortal wizard-king who ruled over the githzerai with an iron fist in a velvet glove, surreptiously killing any githzerai who grew powerful enough to be a potential threat, in a gender-flipped copy of Vlaakith CLVII".

*He* was part of the original Githzerai lore. Doesn't mean he was *better* than the current version.
>>
>>55720016
>Night Feather is *still* leading his people as their immortal Priest-King, according to Planes of Law.
Yeah he's still the leader but hasn't been seen in person by the masses for years, thus the mystery for a potential plothook, retard.
>Now I *know* you haven't read their original lore
Right back at you, see above.

>here's a bunch of weirdos, they'll kill you if you go near their home, so stay away
>I speedread the family/friend/relationship lore as bad as I did the mystery behind the absent ruler
ftfy

>Just because it's *old* does not mean that it's *good*
Sure, likewise just because it's new doesn't mean it's good, especially if it's just a shitty copy of the gnoll origin.
>>
>>55719627
>>55719677
oh dang dude i love these
next one shot my groups gonna find some winged gorillas

THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT
>>
>>55720316
Except, fuckwit, Planes of Law says no such thing: he leaves most of the day-to-day running of Zoronor to Nightsilver (and, by extension, Bloodsmoke), but absolutely no mention is made of him being reclusive. They all know where he is, they all obey him fanatically; that he prefers to let his Protector-General handle the day-to-day stuff doesn't mean he's a recluse, idiot!

In fact.. where is ANY of that shit in the "Culture" section of the Rilmani article coming from? Because I have read all four of the books that page references and none of that shit is in ANY of them!
>>
File: Redtooth.png (573 KB, 861x962)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
>>55715680
>Tinker race? Lab rats.
>Popular Perception? Filthy Rogues.
>Redwall fan? Go apeshit.
>Subversion? Have a race of clever nobles sitting in ivory towers.
This is why I love Pathfinder's ratfolk. You've got the tinkers who live and work Numeria and its crashed ancient spaceship, looking for scrap and items to fix or sell. They also work clockwork in several regions. They have an awful reputation as sneak thieves and cutpurses in some areas. They've got comfy down pat with the descriptions of their warrens. And for subversion? inverted "ivory" towers in vast cavern systems they rule over, hidden beneath the great cities of the world as a shadow kingdom that could conquer entire regions and nearly did in notAsia.

I almost forgot their caravan merchant trains where they use super sized rats as oxen to pull their wagons laden with shiny things to sell. And in notIndia they are masters of a psychic portal magic called ranatagi. They are also found on notMars (and is a place that steals heavily from John Carter and Barsoom), as a race called the ysoki, who are a core race for Starfinder.

Ratfolk are pretty awesome, and super fun to worldbuild with.
>>
File: jason-statham-crank.jpg (184 KB, 650x360)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>55717152
So the Volkoï are basically Jason Statham in Crank?
Sounds fucking rad.
>>
>>55717152
Just read through that whole PDF. What a fascinating world. I really doubt I could get my buddies to give that setting the time of day, but it'd be one interesting world to explore with a more creative intellectual group. I've been working on my own no humans setting, but even my original races setting seems like a Tolkien rip off compared to shit like the Solek, Gnath, and Emovan.
>>
>>55721027

>Crashed ancient spaceship
I guess that explains the extension cord on the belt.
>>
File: PZO9283-DevoteeCharauKa.jpg (113 KB, 546x1000)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>
>>55722721
>>
File: 1378319541965.jpg (734 KB, 918x1181)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
>>55722753
>>
File: Gorilla_King.jpg (95 KB, 836x1000)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>55722772
>>
File: 1437087716359.jpg (142 KB, 911x1000)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>55722788
>>
File: ift.jpg (25 KB, 321x322)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>55721027
>>
>>55683792
I can understand that opinion but do you really need to derail any threads disagreeing with it?
>>
>>55722973

Leave the rats be, anon.
>>
>>55683792
Who let Bioware post here?
>>
>>55722586
oh man that part of golarion is great

laser pistols and magic robots
and best of all god damn power armor
>>
>>55723197
Fuck no.
Rats are for Sexual.
>>
File: 68805933.gif (960 KB, 260x195)
960 KB
960 KB GIF
>>55725803

I said leave them be, you horrid person.
>>
File: mi_ima_6123577472.jpg (58 KB, 296x403)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
The Warlords CCG had elves that were unique. They only had a lifespan of 60 or so years so the practiced a lot of necromancy. Instead of long ears they had bone growths from their head and their skin looked soft but was actually fine scales.
>>
>>55686873
my groups look at kobolds as adorable comedic relief. Little underdogs that will almost never succeed on their own unless it's against other small folk. As well as various other small reasons that I'm too damned tired to type up.
>>
File: 11234541304_18c7787e09_o.jpg (593 KB, 1672x2021)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
>>55726785
>Warlords CCG
I had a weird love/hate relationship with that game. Loved the mechanics, but my old university's gaming society got really obsessed with it. Sad to think it's been around ten years since I last played it, I think I've still got a FreeK deck in a box somewhere.

Also, have more rats.
>>
>>55715680
Any good games with playable rats?
>>
>>55685412
>filename
heh
>>
>>55719244
Do you allow fun in your games?
>>
>>55730741
Mousegard.
>>
>>55684213
Underrated post.
>>
>>55683735
Are you looking for an interesting race or an interesting culture?
Race=/=Culture
Making a race and culture one just leaves you with "if you pick anything but human your role-play options dive"
On the above point have a few cultures per race and unless magic or gods say no create multi race cultures and the interesting bits will come from how they interact. Political figures may have vastly different lifespans (which gives them more or less time to build a reputation) a group might be pissed that the ruling family is lizard men and not dwarves.
>>
>>55704077
>bearded vulture head
My nigga
>>
>>55711248
I NEED NO INTRODUCTION
>>
>>55689098
These are adorable
>>
Someone once asked me, if you could make a gryphon out of any bird/cat combo whst would you choose? I told him woodpecker tiger, because a fuckhuge beast with a head that breaks the sound barrier smashing though your fullplate rapidly like a jackhammer while the thing claws & rakes at the rest of you is far scarier than a fast & nimble cheetah/whatever or a condor/whatever. No other bird is going to hold a candle next to the idea of a woodpecker head sized up to a tiger, the biggest greatcat.
>>
>>55715680
Sentient woodland critters in general are a good idea.
>>
File: whodathunkit.jpg (217 KB, 1197x425)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>55683792
>>
>>55688053
That would just be a human, anon.
>>
>>55734570
HFY done right.
>>
>>55734570
>Humans strap themselves to the nose cone because we know deep down that we are the real weapon
>>
>>55703881
By far the most fun mount in any game I have ever tried.
>>
>>55688053
So human?
>>
>>55734700
No that's an ape man, there is a difference
>>
>>55683735
By treating them as the alien threat they are.
>>
>>55694517
Thoroughly underrated post
>>
File: 1503459200586.png (183 KB, 311x393)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>
File: zillamiss.jpg (66 KB, 600x800)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>55683735
I don't know about any lore of other things of that nature, but I'd like a kaiju race. Not necessarily giant monsters, though I'm not opposed to that, but something that resembles them in concept. I've always liked the way they looked and the abilities they had.
>>
>>55740627

But anon, kaiju are incredibly varied in both appearance and abilities.
>>
>>55740737
this is true might be able to incorporate lore or something else like that for this, or just have them all be godzilla if you don't want to deal with it.
>>
>>55737848

Is 100% fine, then?
>>
>>55689666
>And I'm here to-
>I know what you're here for! You're a bad guy, here to kill me and my friends!
>...How do you-
>Well, coz you're smoking a CIGARETTE of course! Smoking is VERY BAD! How much is Dio paying you to smoke, huh?
>...that's not really how Dio works...
>>
File: Shedu-1-.jpg (110 KB, 400x442)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
how would you make a lamassu based race?
>>
>>55746472
Make them dragon stand-ins, worshipped by Enkidu-based race.
>>
>>55709032
Good to see the colonial militia coming along nicely.
>>
File: -1.jpg (242 KB, 788x1200)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>
>>55743778
A cat is fine, too, yes.
>>
>>55747554
Yes, cats are alright. They can be allowed to exist.
>>
File: Wonder Golem.png (741 KB, 926x1374)
741 KB
741 KB PNG
>>55746486
>Enkidu-based race
Stone/clay people?
>>
>>55683792
Here's your (You)
>>
>>55688284
>top autism

FTFY
>>
>>55747912
So, golems
>>
File: SuperHorror.png (964 KB, 1215x1650)
964 KB
964 KB PNG
>>55747912
I think we need more friendly space horrors.
>>
>>55747927
>>
>>55748169
see >>55738374
>>
>>55747912
There's a species of babylonian giants in Dominions that look like overgrown armenians with horns, I thought about them
>>
File: O_RZ__by_RacieB.jpg (251 KB, 550x550)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>55748169
Yes! Yes! We are *too* friendly!
>>
>>55723894
As if more proof were needed that Blizzard > Bioware
>>
File: Molluscoid_17.png (124 KB, 460x500)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>55748169
oh hi
>>
>>55749034

What happened to the Androsynth, anon?
>>
>>55708219
Still sad about that game going under... fucking EA
>>
>>55749152
I am trying to destroy a rogue AI that is threatening all organic life in the galaxy, LET ME INTO YOUR GODDAMN SPACE.
>>
>>55747912
Oreads sorta
>>
>>55686520
This put my sides on Saturn in 2 seconds. Fuck furries with a rake
>>
>>55686873
It seems like furries mostly do. What I'm forced to put up with constantly is people whining about furries even when they're totally irrelevant to the discussion in effect doing exactly what made everyone hate furries in the first place. So guess which one annoys me more?
>>
>>55683844
HFY
>>
>>55685901
>autist anon tries to purge kobolds
>dies on the first trap of the decoy of a kobold lair
>>
>>55685001
>getting triggered by furries
kys
>>
>>55685412
>find tribe of non-human underdeveloped members of a third world nation
>assume all the members of the species have the same culture; customs and behavior
Probably how most savage beast races stereotypes would come to be in a multi-racial world
>>
>>55685893
Cant count the times shit like this happens:
>snake men discover pants; underwear; shoes and socks
>Scaled sapients using easily rippable clothing
>>
>>55686239
Anons triggered by furries are the worst kind of autists cause they slap that shit on everyone like if people actually gave a shit. All they do really is waste space and time on a good thread and screech like the retarded frogs they are
>>
>>55686520
>not understanding english
sorry anon; you are either having a stroke; or are retarded.
>>
>>55683844
>even if a plot didn't start as being specifically about humans, it will mutate into a story about the perseverance and survival of mankind

What if narrative power is humanities special trait

Like there's nothing special about them, but they still manage to make everything all about them. Like your wife.
>>
>>55686873
Shit anon; let peoople enjoy things. If someone wants to add something you dont like to a game you are playing then you can rant and screech; but here you are just being a whiny retarded autist who rants on people like "Stop liking things i dont like; oh my god you furries"
>>
Anyone got any dinosaurs? Scaly or feathered works.
>>
>>55693155
>Gun Waifu
>Pillow buddy
>Bed motherly bear
>Asshole Phone boss
and who could ever forget:
>Your best and closest friend; the computer
>>
>>55703880
...that was a wild ride till the end
>>
File: asdasd.png (244 KB, 938x1280)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
>ctr+f
>Yuan-ti
>no results

One of my favorite races. Lots of variants and hybrids, pretty deep back story, and at the end of it, fucking evil shit.

https://wiki.greyparticle.com/index.php/Yuan-ti
>>
File: 1364203525090.png (39 KB, 800x600)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
Insectoid/Arthropoids are good

>>55691788
Those are good too
>>
>>55734687
>Rocket transport cruiser designated as a cluster bomb by galactic council and banned in war
>Human invasion armies must consist of thousands of small ships docking with a resupply mothership on the way to the target
>while on assignment; humans must be considered live ammo; and civilians need to keep a clearance from their ships.
>>
>>55754626
I like them too, I just generally like the reptilian/dragon races because they look nice as well as having very interesting lore. Also snake woman are nice.
>>
>>55735526
he didnt ask how to treat them anon; he asked what are some cool non human races; learn to read
>>
>>55754626
>>55754958
My black mambas

I like the look of the amonkhet snakes
>>
>>55755021
>>
>>55751377
T R I G G E R E D B Y F U R R I E S
>>
File: C9s5u9zXsAUdyLK.jpg (233 KB, 1071x1200)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>55754958
A man with god tier tastes i see!
>>
>>55755021
>>55755036
Damn those look cool. Though for my own personal tastes I'd have a variant with them possibly a mixed race that has a top half human. because I like them
>>
>>55755111

https://youtu.be/KoEE1miqOx8
>>
>>55755174
Those fucking skellies. Also implying you would pound the princess kobold and live a leisurely life in a palace.

>>55755111
Thanks, though I do like them a bit more on the mammalian side than the scaly side. Basically a human that has some features of a snake, lizard, dragon, ect. Argonians, Dragonborn, the above mentioned yuan-ti, lamia's are good examples.
>>
File: p9p9pRS71t8nwob_540.png (234 KB, 540x432)
234 KB
234 KB PNG
>>55755113
>Top half human
>>
>>55755385
you're right, should be back half human, front half snake, and let god sort out the top and bottom
>>
File: 1506254398379.png (237 KB, 253x316)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
>>55755314
Does egg laying hips...
Dat cuddling for warmth every night...
all does eager minions...
feel like a giant every day...

Not the other anon but yes
Yes i would give her a one way ticket to pound town and set up shop there to retire.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (927 KB, 1221x687)
927 KB
927 KB PNG
>>55755385
>>55755434
I prefer my snake girls to have the top half human yes. vagina included.
>>
>>55704463
>>55704543
>>55709234
>>55709258
>>55709258
>>55712993
You know, I'm surprised Games Workshop never got on the Ape-men train for WHFB. I thought that if they were going to do a not-Africa they could make a lot of homages to Planet of the Apes and various African cultures and tribes.
I guess the racist connotations might not have gone down so well.
>>
File: ryota-murayama-160724-10.jpg (695 KB, 1920x1055)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
I really like cynocephali race.
Wolfmen but civilized. You may put any culture on them and make them cooperate with humans but still have some unique traits for their culture to them.
>>
>>55756906

Never heard of them. What're they about?
>>
File: cynocephalos.jpg (67 KB, 480x296)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>55758455
It means 'dog-headed'. There was a legend in the middle ages about a nation of men with dog or wolf heads although it was probably meant as a metaphor or fable and not believed literally.
>>
>>55683735
Catgirls
>>
Newt/Salamander people are sorely underrated.
>>
>>55758934
Wouldn't they need to immerse themselves in water every day or dry up and die in a few hours?
>>
>>55758987
Hypothetically, yeah, which is why they often inhabit swamps and marshlands in any settings I write.
>>
>>55758987
or they could live in a very humid climate.
>>
>>55755894
There are two ape races in 40k - jacaro and one more, so yeah they exist and I think you can even use one on table top
>>
>>55755894
One could always go with vaguely chinese apemen because of Journey to the West, but that would probably just make them the Tau of Warhammer Fantasy.
>>
>>55683792

I think taking humanity's natural ability to adapt and evolve in different environments, you could change them slightly in a fantasy setting to have humans which vary wildly depending on their geographical location and take only a few gens to naturally adapt. You could have fat, squat, muscular humans covered in short thick hairs who live in artic regions, tall humans with long pointed ears to radiate heat and lean bodies, covered in dark skin and with sharp teeth (tribal hunters in jungles) and a load of other examples. You could also make them so that they can breed with all other humanoids because their reproductive systems adapt to the foreign cells and create healthy hybrids with traits of both parents, making survival of the species easier.

Dogs could come into play, too, since there are so many breeds. You could have straight up dogs, but with more wild exaggeration, or perhaps dog-folk and each irl breed of dog corresponds to a position within the dog class system

What could be some cool examples?

>Labrador/Golden retriever paladin
>German shepherd/doberman town guard
>Chinese crested alchemist
>shiba samurais
>dachshund necromancers
>Mountain dog barbarians
>Portuguese water dog pirates

etc
>>
>>55760502

If I remember correctly, AD&D had something like 37 distinct breeds of the lupin race.
>>
>>55683735
vampires, one of the best races for social campaigns
>>
>>55762735
Something like that: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Lupin
>>
>>55762751
Isn't that just a condition, so any race can be one
>>
File: 1422820585110.png (159 KB, 1000x1000)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>55694475
Yeah mushroom-folk are cool, great for underground games or forest settings
>>
File: ethereal.jpg (148 KB, 736x576)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>55683735
Ethereals are by far my favorite fantasy race followed closely by Thri-Kreen. They're also probably the most original race Blizzard's made in ten years (MoP was literally a continent filled with anthro-people, though the Mantid were okay I guess).
>>
>>55766861
I wish they did more with them, though from what I hear it looks like they're going to play a big part next expansion.
>>
The idea of griffons with cat ears blows my mind, I always thought it was just a bird head as-is!

Must have been WoW and LotR making 'eagle head + lion body' the norm.
>>
>>55768402
Yea, it's got me real excited. Can only hope they don't fuck up their lore somehow.
>>
>>55768717

>Ethereals attempt to repossess Azeroth, and both the Alliance and the Horde (now led by a newly-revived Hogger) turn to privateering to assemble the filthy lucre necessary to pay them off
>>
>>55754394
The thing is, if you give furfags an inch they will take a mile. Tolerate them for long enough and eventually furry porn will no longer be bannable
>>
File: ttjpg.jpg (200 KB, 1154x997)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
Edge Chronicles has best races.
>>
File: spindlebug.jpg (285 KB, 551x413)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>55772260
Spindlebugs.
>>
>>55772298
Webfoot Goblins.
>>
File: gabtroll.jpg (11 KB, 317x159)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>55772308
Gabtrolls
>>
File: Clanchiefs.jpg (47 KB, 321x479)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>55772317
Hammerhead, Tusked, Gyle and Lop-Ear Goblins.
>>
>>55683735
>>
>>55772489

Giant Angora rabbitfolk race in an RPG when.
>>
File: I'll my your con, id.jpg (332 KB, 498x965)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>>55683735
absolutely coolest race
>>
>>55772727
Now just having giant rabbits as the deathclaws of a land is the best thing that I can imagine right now, thank you.
>>
>>55708986
Do you have any humanoid fantasy spider art that isn't drider?
>>
>>55754401
i refuse to accept anything as a sentient race if it doesnt look like they could effectively forge and wield a warhammer
>>
>>55774000
Vorpal Rabbit-men of Caerbannog when?
>>
>>55711248
I've always wanted to be Tresdin's squire. I always enjoy fantasizing about entering a tent with her after a long battle and slowly removing her armor, starting at the helmet and making my way down to her boots. At that point she sits down on a stool and commands me to kneel down and remove them one at a time. "Squire, must you pitch another tent so soon?" she says to me. I try to cover it up out of embarrassment, but she kicks my hands away. "You haven't finished yet." I don't understand because I had already removed her armor, but after she gives me a look I realize that she wants me to remove her shoes as well. I take off her shoes and reveal her gorgeous feet, surprisingly soft despite her being a strong warrior, and extremely sweaty. "Lick the sweat off my feet, squire," she commands me. I happily endulge until my raging boner begins to hurt from pressing so hard against my trousers. "Alright, squire, stand up and remove your clothes." I do so while she does the same. Then, all of a sudden, I feel an inescapable desire to stand still. "FIGHT ME" she screams as she pushes me to the ground and gets on top of me. It's only now that I notice she's holding Aghanim's Scepter, and I understand that she won't stop until one of us cums. Her technique gets more and more intense until I am unable to hold back. I cum inside her pussy with the force of a hundred megacreeps. She gets off of me, and as I lay there quivering in pleasure she gets dressed and begins to chuckle. "Only 9 inches? Pathetic."

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.