[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: duergar.jpg (29 KB, 350x239)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
5etools is currently hosted at https://lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html, however it could be chopped down at any time. Get yourself a local copy below to be safe.

>5etools latest update-
https://mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Last time on /5eg/: >>56807397
>>
is there ever a reason to play something besides a Fighter?
>>
>>56812776
I think you misspelled Wizard.
>>
>>56812682
>Another thread without a question
Lazy cunt.

What is your favorite paladin oath and why? Do you think the phb oaths still hold up with addition of the new ones?
>>
Perkins took down the modron banner on his Twitter. Maybe he knows we were onto him.
But Planescape when?
>>
>>56812786
Conquest, I find do-gooders boring and Conquest allows me to play a Paladin who's dubious. Mechanically it's not very good but that's a small price to play
>>
>>56812776
Thats a weird way to spell "Wizard", and the answer is no, unfortunately.
>>
Can you name a good DnD forum. I'm tired of using this shit site.
>>
>>56812785
>can't wear armor
>can't use dope-ass swords
>forced to compensate for shriveled genitals with skinny wooden wand

lol be more buttmad
>>
What profession would be most appropriate for crafting special crossbow ammunition? (Explosive, heavy, piercing)
>>
>>56812824
Giants seems to be way more behaved.
>>
>>56812822
>>56812785
What about EK/Wizard?
>>
File: tough_guy.jpg (37 KB, 850x430)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>56812834
Ok, Tough Guy.
>>
>>56812786

Redemption. Fuck combat in this game.
>>
>>56812824
Giant in the Playground
ENWorld
Reddit, /r/dndnext is better than /r/dnd, but you'll still find retards just like the ones here.
>>
>>56812843
>Giants
You haven't been there much, have You?

They agree more, sure, but they are somehow more autistic, if you can believe that.
>>
>>56812842
I think it would be a combined venture. Alchemist, Tinker, Blacksmith and Carpenter. You could buy shafts, custom arrowpoints and just reduce the workload, but it could be cool to cobble the rest of the party into.
>>
>>56812816
Why not just reflavor the paladin you want to use and play your character the way you want?
>>
>>56812219
Share a story or two?
>>
>>56812859
For one the word Autistic isn't thrown around all willy-nilly and there is actual moderation to stop salty sods from running around unchecked.
>>
>>56812892
The only ones buttblasted about the word autistic are actual autists.
>>
File: 1372395457891.jpg (9 KB, 275x142)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
In an evil campaign, my players are working for an evil Dwarf Necromancer right now. He's been giving out cool cursed items in exchange for any Elf heads they bring back to him. They've become VERY motivated to bring him Elf heads, since they've decided that cursed items are sweet (I agree).

How can I make a fun session that takes place in an Elf settlement without having them murder everything or die trying? I was thinking that the Dwarf will request they take the settlement down non-violently somehow. Any ideas on fun options to fuck over an Elf settlement?
>>
>>56812961
If we are talking wood elves maybe they have some form of ancestor tree that controls powerful magic throughout the village. Plant soldiers, vines forming walls or lashing out at intruders etc.
The tree itself would have to be neutralized before they would have any hope of slaughtering the populace.
>>
File: image.png (155 KB, 480x480)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
Just gonna leave this here.
>>
>>56812961

what does the village produce? usually you had villages close to ressources which lead to "industry" in that area. destroy their source of income, their livelihood.

who has power in that city, who "rules" and what parties want to change the current situation. sow the seed of discord.
>>
>>56812961
You've incentivized killing them, maybe the dwarf needs their entire body unblemished so poison their water/food maybe?
>>
>>56812961
The dorf wants live specimens and has directed the party toward a settlement. For extra points, the dorf notes that while the elves can be tense they shouldn't be afraid due to magical bullshittery reasons.
>>
>>56812816
>Mechanically it's not very good
I keep seeing this and I don't understand. Frighten is relatively easy to apply and conquest adds all sorts of riders to it to make it good.
>>
>>56812834
Uhh, no sweetie, wizards fight with swords better than fighters. I bet you don't even teleport behind people and impersonally dispatch them.
>>
>>56812786
Conquest is my favorite. It's brutal, but also presents excellent role-playing opportunities.
>>
>>56812834
>can't wear armor
>take one level dip in hexblade or be mountain dwarf
>>
gonna play a wild sorcerer in a game soon.

what should I expect? where's the best place to stand as to not be a huge detriment/good boon
>>
>>56813166
Reeeeeeee actually play the game. Nobody allows multiclassing unless you're severely autistic and retarded.
>>
Is crown of stars a good spell? 28d12 over the duration is a lot of damage on paper, but over the course of 7 rounds seems slow.
>>
>>56813186
Won't matter unless your DM ups the chances of you rolling on the surge table.
>>
>>56812961
If you say you will give players stuff they want for every elvish head then they are going to snatch every motherfucker birthday.

Why does he want heads? why might he want a one ore two select heads and not dozens of regular heads? Might not the local populace get a little riled if a settlement is genocided and every corpse is missing its head? Maybe the rumours about that necromancer with a penchant for heads were true?
>>
>>56813186
Throw your character sheet in the trash and make a character who can't wipe the party at low level because you rolled "Fireball cast on self" with your shitty meme class that never should have been put in the game.
>>
>>56813212
It is very nearly tied for damage by cantrips over the same period.
>>
>>56813228
can't they just stand few feet away?
>>
I'm an EK with a greatsword, and level 4 is coming up. Should I max strength first or is getting GWM wih 16 strength worth it? I already have the sentinel feat if that matters.
>>
>>56813186
Be a tiefling for fire resistance, stay 25 away from your party members
>>
File: Z7HeRxU.png (361 KB, 512x512)
361 KB
361 KB PNG
>>56813228
>>
>>56813196
>Nobody allows multiclassing
>>
>>56813256
Is that good or bad?
>>
>>56813212
During 1 hour you can easily get into more than 1 combat, so just know when to cast it. Not only is it a lot of damage, but it's a lot of concentration-less bonus action damage. You can keep doing other stuff with your action.
>>
>>56813362
Bad.
>>
File: so unimpressed.png (466 KB, 1038x582)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
>>56813360
>"Hey guys, so I just rolled a thing that's gonna kill us all, super funny, rite?!"

Remove yourself from the hobby.
>>
>>56812885
Not much to say. Chad puts his dick in every other female npc, is in possession of the loving Dawnbringer and got into trouble more than once, like when he deflowered a paladin whose power derived from her chastity.
>>
>>56813256
>>56813384
It is very nearly tied for damage by cantrips over the same period.
This is 4d12 radiant damage. When you get the spell, by level 13, your cantrips only have 3 damage dice. Even at level 17, firebolt is 22 avg while a star is 26 avg (we all know toll the dead is bullshit and shouldn't be allowed as is)

More importantly, this is bonus action damage. Meaning you can do other useful stuff with your action.
And if that's not enough, it's radiant damage, probably the best damage type in the game.
>>
>>56812961
>fuck over an Elf settlement
>fuck an elf settlement
I think you answered your own question, anon.
>>
>>56813078
Oh my, that's perfect. Can someone shop a PHB here?
>>
So what is the best oath for shield and longsword paladin? What's the best way to play that
>>
>>56813418
>the loving Dawnbringer
was ist das?
>>
>>56813280
So instead of taking a stat increase you can take a feat?

t. Bought the phb on Tuesday
>>
>>56813474
Every paladin loves shield master because bonus action to prone=more advantage=more chances for big dick smite crits. If you're going for sentinel/a more tanky-oriented build, crown is the only outright "mmo tank, draw aggro" type oath
>>
>>56813474

>What's the best oath for Weapon X?

I never understand these questions. The weapons in 5e are more or less interchangable unless you go for specific feats, aren't they?

It's not like there's the "Sword and Board Oath", the "2-Handed Weapons Oath" and the "Ranged Weapons Oath".
>>
>>56813474
The one you feel you would like to play the most.
>>
>>56813557
Not my fault i'm retarded, i guess i should have said which oat will let me do the most dmg while i'm with sword and shield>>56813545
Can you explain this mechanic a bit more hod do i get smite crits?
>>
>>56813557
There's definitely certain subclasses in the game that heavily lend themselves towards certain weapons. Revised beastmaster lends itself well to TWF since they don't get extra attack, while hunter's horde breaker feature lends itself better to ranged than melee
>>
>>56813594
Read the fucking PHB <_<
>>
>>56813510
>So instead of taking a stat increase you can take a feat?
Yes, it's an either or choice whenever your class gives you the stat/feat option. Fighters get tons of them, rogues do okay, but everyone else mostly gets them every 4th level'ish.
>>
>>56813594
Sentinel, PAM, quarterstaff with Oath of Vengeance
>>
Haunted One is an underrated background, it can fit a lot of cool thematic characters even outside the gothic horror theme it was designed for. The vagueness of its wording leaves so many possibilities
>>
>>56813432
>Toll the Dead shouldn’t be allowed as-is

I don’t like it much but I’ve heard counterarguments that its necrotic type and wis save are a balancing factor?
>>
>>56813557
>It's not like there's the "Sword and Board Oath", the "2-Handed Weapons Oath" and the "Ranged Weapons Oath".
If you're an Oath of Vengeance Paladin and you don't take a whip, or a chain when they become available, then you're doing it wrong
>>
>>56813631
>Haunted One is an underrated background
Agreed. I love playing hunter / investigator types, so HO is fantastic. Also? If someone wanted to try to play Supernatural: The Campaign and not tell anyone, that'd be the background to go with.
>>
>>56813186

The chance of rolling Fireball on yourself is so low. We've got a wild sorc on our team and it has yet to happen. What HAS happened is he's turned blue, aged 16 years, chain-lightninged entire encounters to death, summoned a modron that KO'd him, and splashed grease all over everyone and everything while he flies around getting wasted (except when he's immune to alcohol).

It helps that he has the highest CON and HP in the party, though.
>>
>>56813665
People will call that a meme; I call it fun.
>>
>>56813361
They shouldn't.
For a while I didn't allow it and as soon as I did, the cleric took a level in Wild Magic, denying the party useful 4th level cleric spells. And he's cast, like, ONE sorcerer spell since. The only Sorcerer thing he's used otherwise has been the Message cantrip.
>>
>>56813665
How does a sorcerer have the highest hp in the party.
>>
>>56813735
Luck and modifiers. Not that odd
>>
>>56813658
I'm planning a lovecraftian sort of warlock, who was pulled through dimensions and was never quite the same person after what he saw, but gained his warlock powers just from being in the presence of whatever it was

Warlocks have a lot of good lovecraftian-themed spells with tentacles of darkness and shit, plus Great Old One patron is perfect for this character (it can literally be Cthulu if you want). I'd probably play the high charisma as just the natural aura of somebody who has Seen Some Shit, and just comes across with more gravitas as a result, with the background feature supporting it
>>
>>56813735
Not that anon, but it could be a low level party and the sorc could have pumped con and taken the tough feat
>>
>>56813731
>my one player was retarded
>nobody should do it because of this one experience i had

no anon, you are the dumbo
>>
>>56813754
>a lovecraftian sort of warlock
There are all kinds of neat opportunities if you take GOO as your pact. It allows you to go the route of the evil cultist or the innocent rando who read the wrong book or was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Plenty of room to build a cured / jaded hero with GOOlocks.

Good on you, anon.
>>
>>56813735

He's got 20 CON, and got lucky on HP rolls. We're currently level 8. I haven't checked anyone else's HP but I think it's still only maybe 10 points ahead of second place, who hasn't been rolling for their HP ups.

And he's got 20 CON because he put points into it, to allow his character to drink like a fish.
>>
Daily reminder that you only think warlocks are EB fighters and not fullcasters because your DM gives too many long rests and too few short ones, instead of striving for (or shoehorning in) glorious 2enc/1sr/2enc/1sr/2enc/1lr as per DMG.
>>
>>56813754
>>56813782

Someone posted a pdf in a thread which was a bunch of homebrew warlock patrons that seemed super interesting, including a bunch that could be properly Lovecraftian with minor refluffs.

Can't remember the name for the life of me, but some of the patrons were The Citadel, The Constellar(?), and there was one that was focused on ash and wolves.

Perhaps another anon knows what I'm talking about.
>>
>>56813776
You think that's the only shit? This just from the game I DM.
As a player I've seen assassins go wild magic specifically to troll the other players, "rogues" start out as Fighters first because they need a fighting style, second wind and action surge FIRST and pretty much no meaningful multiclassing.
>>
Who was the person responsible for Spellviewer? Are they gonna update it?

I honestly switched to using the 5etools, but it is proving to be quite unreliable lately, so I am thinking about using Spellviewer for spell consultation again.
>>
>>56813754
Or beg your DM to allow int in place of cha for warlock as Next (and balance) intended
>>
Does 16,000 gp for a suit of adamantine plate sound reasonable?
>>
>>56813884
But it is part of the game and it isn't breaking anything. In fact, all it is doing is lowering the power level of the party. If the players dont mind taking a hit to their power level for their own enjoyment who gives a shit? You're there for fun not powergaming.

The assassins goings wild magic is a bit weird, though.
>>
>>56813927
For comparison, regular ol' steel plate costs about a tenth of that, 1,500 gp.
>>
>>56813683
Our table has someone who loves it. But he's also an idiot.
So there's that
>>
>>56813853

This, perhaps?
>>
>>56813927
XtE has the info you are looking for.
>>
File: elf.jpg (93 KB, 709x1024)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Half-elves gotta have it rough when it comes to introducing friends to their family. How do you handle your elf mom being the ultimate milf?
>>
>>56813932
It's only part of the game if DMs allow it since it's an optional rule
>>
>>56813981
>implying /ss/ isn't part of a growing half-elfs diet
>>
File: 20171207_130103.jpg (175 KB, 720x861)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>56813981
By having her look like this instead of a sexy human
>>
>>56813981
>Implying you aren't beating up the other kids for trying to muscle in on your turf
>>
>>56813981
The bigger problem is her constantly getting impregnated by dad and you having so many kids because the whole reason she married a human is so she could get babies fucked into her since that’s her fetish.
>>
>>56814032
>implying that fetish wouldn't be mutual
>>
File: 1508950599557.gif (312 KB, 342x512)
312 KB
312 KB GIF
>>56814032
>>
>>56813981
>>56813993
>>56814032
>>56814092
Nice to know /5eg/ has patrician taste.
>>
>>56813993
>Encouraging NTR against the poor human dad who can't keep up with his daughter's friends

Dude.
>>
>>56814032
>Seven kids in, every night you hear dad working her in eight as she screams she needs to be bred by him
>Your fantasy medieval lifestyle can’t afford so many
>You’re now all poor in a house you can’t all fit in
>After she turns 200 finally and dad dies she moves away to get married to a proper elf man after fucking away her 100’s like most elves
>Your dad was like the third guy she’s done this to, you have a bunch of half-elf cousins out there you’ve never met
>>
Which of the adventures would /5eg/ is the most popular? I'm looking to start a public campaign on roll20 and need to know which one is going to give guaranteed players.
>>
>>56814194

CoS, LMoP, ToA
>>
>>56814194
Of all that I ran, I liked Out of The Abyss more. The Rage of Demons theme was pretty good for getting my veteran players hyped and my newb players liked the weirdness of the setting. Plus, Stool was a blast.

But Curse of Strahd was fun, as was Tomb of Annihilation. Tomb is more of a adventurer grinder, tho.
>>
>>56812892
I've seen people get banned for calling out Wizard wank as not being possible, amongst other the "Diviner wizard makes a million clones, polymorph them infinitely small, and decide all rolls forever" which is definitely not possible by RAW (You loss the class feature on polymorph) and the Mod just banned him for "attempting to start a flame war" when the wizardwankers went full autism mode and started raging at him.

Id rather have no moderation, than moderators who just ban people who don't agree with them.
>>
>>56814211
Really, Lost Mines? I felt it was pretty entertaining and my players enjoyed themselves, but it sure was very... run of the mill? Bland?
>>
>>56814160
This would be a good backstory for a Human who’s mother died during their childbirth so the Half-elves could be step-siblings.
>>
>>56814031
>implying the elf's endgame isn't to lure in young men with [Spoiler]knowing or unknowing[/Spoiler] help from her daughter when the current old man can't hack it anymore
>>
>>56814271
Is this elf making baby butter and dancing with the devil or something?
>>
>>56814253

It's the "classic D&D" module in the ruleset. Sure, it's not *as* interesting as other modules, but you'll always snag players for it.
>>
>>56814244
Well, sure, that was one of the worst possible events you could have pointed out, but that is just a 'good monday' here on /tg/, so what I am hearing is:
At it is worst, Giants is almost as bad as /tg/ on a good day.

And you never get banned outright on your first offense. Takes three strikes, mostly, to get banned. So if people get kicked they either did something heinous, or they are repeat offenders. Otherwise, you can easily appeal to get unbanned by the mods.
>>
>>56814160
> Humans are like pets to elves
> Your elf waifu will probably remarry when you die
> Will probably do it several times

Feels real bad man
>>
>>56813636
They aren't balancing factors at all. My personal fix for the cantrip was just dropping the damage to 1d6/1d10 instead of 1d8/1d12.
>>
>>56814302
Maybe not, but why bother when you already know the Mods are literally the same autistic retards we have to deal with here, only there they have the power to ban or "strike" you if you dont agree with them?

I used to be over there for a few years, but after 2 friends got banned for literally nothing (saw the posts that had been the issues for the Mods, and they were literally pointing out page numbers for relevant rules), I stopped caring. It is mostly just circle jerking over wizards to an even worse degree than here, and the only reason they don't have shit posting, is due to actual Nazi mods. I know what I prefer.

It might honestly be due to the lame posting style there, that I enjoy things like the autistic shitfest we had last thread here.
>>
How would you rate the adventure books so far, 5eg? Mine personally are:

CoS > ToA > LMoP > OotA > PotA > SKT > ToD
>>
Anons? Couple of quick questions:

Do you think we'll ever get any more Plane Shifts from WoTC?

What do you think would be in a Plane Shift: Kamigawa? Kitsune and Nezumi PC races, maybe?

If I let a gnome fighter play a "Shadowguard", which is literally just an Eldritch Knight that casts Enchantment/Illusion spells instead of Abjuration/Evocation spells, how overpowered is it?
>>
>>56814461
Yes.

Maybe.

Not at all.
>>
>>56814307

What, you expect her to remain inconsolably grief-stricken and alone for the next six hundred years or so after your death? Humans learn to accept loss and find new happiness without literal centuries of mourning, expecting elves not to is just silly.
>>
>>56814499
Nah man I expect an elf who's willing to fall in love and spend their life with a human to also being researching ways to extend their mate's lifetime
>>
Has anyone homebrewed double sided glaives? How did/would you handle them? I just wanna pretend to be the MC from chrono cross/ff9
>>
>>56814529
Take PAM, when you use the bonus attack it's slashing, fluff regular glaive to look like what you want.
>>
>>56814529
I find double weapons to be impractical and quite ugly. I would not allow them in my tables, unless it was a very specific situation, like an alien race weapon or something.
>>
>>56813993
>>56814512
>Marry a 12/10 elf archwizard
>Life is great, don't have to do shit, wife is loaded on wizard and elf family money
>Wife casts clone on you each life so you never have to die
>Start having concerns the 4th or 5th time she "accidentally" makes your clone too young
>>
How do you track time Out of Character?
>>
>>56814577
Shit *out of combat
Phoneposter
>>
>>56814577
Don't worry about it unless it's a "x time to complete y" then just use regular time.
>>
Is it possible to make a gish who uses a longsword in one hand without sucking major balls?
>>
>>56814577
When the DM makes an observation of how much time has past, I put down a circle with a line from the top to the bottom on my notebook for every hour passed.
>>
>>56814597
Hexblade Warlock with the Blade Pact.
>>
>>56814592
Guess I should also add, if it spans several days then use the travel rules for where every they are going ect.
>>
>>56814597
And by that I mean no shield, just wielding a single longsword with a free offhand
>>
>Set to roll up characters using "This is your life" from XGE
>Everything but class

>Doesn't know parents
>No siblings
>Human
>Girl
>Parents abandoned her
>Background rolled is Hermit, reason being that I was comfortable being isolated and seek inner peace (Only relevant for the hermit feature, I get to choose skills as per the "make your own background" table.)
>24 year old
>4 life events, of which I had
>1. Tragedy, Exiled for reasons I never learned, and found a new place to live
>2. Went on an adventure, suffered a grievous injury, and though it healed, still pains her
>3. Weird stuff, a dragon held me as a prisoner for 4 months.
>4. Gained a bit of fortune (*finally*), which was a trinket. GM ruled it was a gift from the dragon.

Now I need to find out what class I am. And, uh... I don't know? A terrible Rogue who wasn't very good at sneaking and almost got killed by a dragon or its kobolds I guess?

Maybe a Warlock, explaining why people exiled her? Knew something she didn't?

I am shit at making characters like this. I don't mind the challenge in terms of roleplaying, but I am already terrible at the crunch side of things, and now I have to make a class fit to... this. It is practically a damsel in distress kept by a dragon, until it basically just felt sorry that no one came to save her, and let her go with a small trinket?
>>
>>56814592
What about tracking random encounters, torch and lamp duration, tracking exhaustion checks in hazardous environments
>>
>>56814616
Bladesinger. It is honestly my favorite gish, since I lean more to the sorcery side of Sword and Sorcery.
>>
File: 1510861206729.png (246 KB, 347x910)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>56814573
>Start having concerns the 4th or 5th time she "accidentally" makes your clone too young
>Calling that a concern
>>
One of my players built a teifling ranger. His character found faith in a temple dedicated to a nature spirit and then multiclassed into a cleric

For some reason, this reminds me of Link, and so I want to homebrew in a Master Sword equivalent for him. Help me stat it /5eg/?
>>
>>56814616
>And by that I mean no shield, just wielding a single longsword with a free offhand
Literally Bladesinger.

It is not bad at all thanks to the cantrips.

>Inb4 never be in melee
Fuck that noise. Yeah, it is *most effective* at range, but don't stop that from letting you have your fun. You will quickly have more AC than anybody else in the entire party, so I really wouldn't worry about getting gibbed out of nowhere.
>>
>>56814632
Random encounters I do based on location and roll. The more times I roll and a random encounter doesn't happen the lower the DC for one to happen becomes depending on the situation. Hazardous environments have always been a little tricky, I normally go with either thirty minutes or an hour of real time for each check depending on level of hazard.
>>
>>56814670
>>56814635
Assuming level 20, would something like EK 8/Bladesinger 12 work, or would pure Bladesinger outperform in every aspect? I'm very new to D&D, forgive me for asking dumb questions.
>>
>>56812682
>>5etools latest update-
>https://mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
does someone have a link that wont try to use my shit for crypto mining?
>>
>>56814597
>Is it possible to make a gish ... without sucking major balls?
No.
>>
>>56814632
>>56814675
Also as for torch and lamp duration, I'm not the worried about it in my games so I kinda hand wave it away or don't have to worry about it since someone has the light cantrip.
>>
>>56814619
Ranger, with favored enemy Dragon.

Exiled for using magic (ranger magic), Ranger works pretty okay with Hermit.
>>
>>56814635
I love the Bladesinger for the Jedi'esque feeling it can have.
>Wear a tight fitting robe, and keep up mage armour.
>AC13+DEX+INT + Shield if you have to
Reminds me so much of my Jedi Counselor from KOTOR1. Pretty shit in close combat, compared to the dedicated fighter, but the force powers...
>>
>>56814632
>>56814675
I always enjoyed building on scenes more than on actual time. After a sene ends either an hour, half an hour or ten minutes go by. Something like that. Combat often lasts a minute or less.
>>
>>56814461
Magic is a dying brand, so I doubt it.
>>
>>56814692
Don't MC more than 3 levels. You don't want to miss out on 9th level spells.
>>
>Rolling for health
Why?
>>
Rate my revise dragonborn racial feats.
Dragon Fear
Prerequisite: Dragonborn
When angered, you radiate menace. You gain the following benefits:
• Increase your Strength or Charisma score by 1,
up to a maximum of 20.
• Instead of exhaling destructive energy, you can
roar and expend a use of your breath weapon
to force each creature of your choice within 30
feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw
(DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your
Charisma modifier). A target automatically
succeeds if it can’t hear or see you. On a failed
save, a target becomes frightened for 1 minute.
If the frightened target takes any damage, it
can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect
on itself on a success.
• You grow retractable claws from the tips of
your fingers. Extending or retracting the claws
requires no action. The claws are natural
weapons, which you can use to make unarmed
strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing
damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier,
instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for
an unarmed strike.
Dragon Hide
Prerequisite: Dragonborn
You inherited the might and majesty of your
dragon ancestors. You gain the following
benefits:
• Increase your Strength or Charisma score by 1,
up to a maximum of 20.
• Your scales harden; you gain a +1 bonus to AC
while you aren’t wearing armor.
• You sprout draconic wings. With your wings, you
have a flying speed of 20 feet if you aren’t
wearing heavy armor and aren’t exceeding your
carrying capacity.
>>
>>56814703
>Exiled for using magic (ranger magic), Ranger works pretty okay with Hermit.
Starting level 1, so no magic.

>Favored enemy Dragon
I don't know, so far I feel like the GM is setting up the dragon as feeling bad for my character, and actually technically saving her life.
>>
>>56814692
Not a dumb question, don't worry.

And depends on what you want. If you want spell firepower, go full bladesinger. If you want to punch and grind that frontline and only care about spells as a side note, go Eldrithc Knight.

An alternative is Bladelock or Warwizard, but they are middle of the road on either of those.
>>
>>56814745
Forced no optimization is fun.
>>
>>56814692
Bladesinger would easily outperform at the higher levels.
At lower levels you'll just be a fucking fighter, unless you multiclass from very early on in which case you'll miss extra attack and still be a mess.

Bladesinger isn't any better, it's just a meme that gives you extra AC while you're still a full spellcasting wizard. Forsake bladesinger entirely, fuck that AC wizard meme shit.
>>
What do you what out of the new UA?
>>
>>56814750
Shit formatting/10
>>
>>56814635
I always see Bladesinger getting shit on for being awful, but is that just in comparison to the other Wizard stuff? The way I see it, you're still a fucking Wizard but you get Extra Attack for fun.
>>
>>56814769
An official fix to Wot4E, or just saying one of the decent homebrew fixes out there is acceptable.
>>
>>56814745
Because I am from a bygone era that didn't pull punches, didn't care about optimized builds and tried their best with what they had. Which is to say, I am used to rolling 3d6 (in order) for stats, and them rolling a character out of that.

Granted, AD&D was very different than 5e, but I still enjoy the hardmode. I always roll, and sometimes I am rewarded.
>>
>>56814769
Something fun, instead of the boring shit that we get every month or the boring shit that is the base game.
>>
File: DsMWUtb.png (191 KB, 285x268)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>>56814745
>Roll health because ROLLING IS FUN LeXD
>Fighter
>First level is max hp
>2nd to 7th level I roll, in order:
>2
>1
>2
>2
>1
>2
>>
>>56814619
I'd go with sorcerer. Untamed magic is danegrous and you don't want someone with it near you (reason for exile).
Seeking inner peace is important for learning to harness your power.
Dragon held you prisoner, because he thinks you might be related, maybe? That would also explain the fortune. Maybe part of the fortune is some artifact important for dragon, who want to hide it outside it's main hoard.

Sorcerer, rogue and barbarian are all very spontaneous classes for people without formal training. (Which your probably is.)

Alternatively, the isolation might be isolation of monastery and you might be cleric, monk or paladin.
>>
>>56814764
It has nothing to do iwth optimization. In fact, it just means that if you want to do a 'super beefy character!' there's a massive chance rolls will fuck you over and someone else not even trying that build will have more health than you.

It also makes it harder to work out someone's health, they could very easily cheat it because who the fuck remembers everyone's max health exactly whereas with averages you can tell what someone's max health should be with a very quick calculation in your head.

I can't think of any reason you'd want to roll health other than 'Rolling is fun!'
>>
>>56814782
>I always see Bladesinger getting shit on for being awful, but is that just in comparison to the other Wizard stuff? The way I see it, you're still a fucking Wizard but you get Extra Attack for fun.
I felt like it should have been "Cast a cantrip after taking an attack action" and it would have been perfect.

Giving it extra attack in the same book adding blade cantrips seems retarded, as they are directly in competition with each other.
>>
>>56814782
It is a tanky, skirmishy mage, yes. You have all the power of casting spells, but sometimes your AC is huge, you get bonus to stuff and can hit for shit with cantrips and buffs.

Xanathar's has greatly improved the repertoire of spells a melee wizard can use, I recommend giving it a look if you enjoy the challenge.

Right now I am playing a melee abjurer and it has been quite fun.
>>
File: angerydm.gif (1.41 MB, 970x545)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB GIF
>astranauta.github.io/5etools is down
>PANIC

That was my primary go to resource, it had fucking everything. Where do we go now?
>>
>>56814803
And this is exactly my problem

Even if your DM takes away the point of rolling and lets you reroll health or take averages it's still possible the wizard on your team somehow then ends up with more health than you.

>>56814798
Well, in hardcore rolling games where you roll stats down the line and characters die all the time I'd say it's acceptable.
>>
>>56814806
>Dragon held you prisoner, because he thinks you might be related, maybe? That would also explain the fortune. Maybe part of the fortune is some artifact important for dragon, who want to hide it outside it's main hoard.
That's actually pretty neat. A Dragon Sorcerer who wasn't fully aware of her heritage, and was shown what was going on.

It was a Silver Dragon according to the GM, so maybe a Silver Dragonsorc? Do we have enough good ice spells to make that a viable option, or would I be fucking myself for doing this?

I don't want a fire based character
>>
>>56814619
You don't know why you were exiled, don't try to explain. Figure out everything else then ask your DM to come up with it.

You could be sorcerer, actually. Would fit a lot of that shit.
>>
>>56814846
Reading the OP for starters
>>
>>56814846
Host it locally.
>>
>>56814846
https://lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html

Lithdoran is hosting for now, but it will go down soonish. So use it while you can.
>>
>>56814851
>Even if your DM takes away the point of rolling and lets you reroll health or take averages it's still possible the wizard on your team somehow then ends up with more health than you.
He did. At level 7 I had 34 HP, and the wizard had 44. We had the same con (14) to be fair, but that still pissed me off. He didn't even roll well, just not 1s and 2s.
>>
In our game, the town we're currently using as a base for quests is going to be attacked at some point in the next few days. We may/may not be there when shit hits the fan because we've got a lead on the BBEG in charge of everything, so we'll be helping build defences and shit either way to help their chances. Now, I happen to be in possession of a Wand of Animate Dead. How bad an idea is it to train the local now-masterless Wizard apprentice in it's use and leave it with him?
>Enemy scales the palisade walls
>Guardsmen take him down
>Apprentice scampers up and Animates him
>Enemy is now a friendly zonbieboi
>Lather, rinse repeat up to 6 times a day
Am I missing something here? Is this how people decide to become litches?
>>
>>56814851
I enjoy the challenge of playing characters that aren't great at the thing they are supposed to. Fighters with low hit points, wizards with low int, etc.

An anemic looking fighter with a depressed point of view, who is a better flanker and archer than a fighter sounds pretty ok.
>>
>>56814916
To be fair, Fighters especially don't care so much about stats as most other classes. Just not negative Con and a bit of Dex, archery and a longbow, and they are going to be fine. They'll get their stats with 6 fucking ASIs, so there is more than enough room for both your stats and feats.
>>
>Barbarian tank
>Air Gensai Totem bear multiclassed lvl1 monk with maxed out con, dex and some points in wis
>No armor but with shield
>Gets 19 AC+ plus damage reduction
Is that properly playable?
>>
>>56814938
>6
7 actually
>>
can you really leave your main stats at 16 and just go for feats? I don't really get the limits of bounded accuracy yet, I'm only level 2 in my first campaign
>>
>>56814901
do it just to see what happens. He could turn into a interesting NPC, maybe even an ally (since you gave him powers, and maybe a taste for more) down the road
>>
>>56814855
>Chromatic Orb, Ice Knife, Snillocs's Snowball Swarm, Ice Storm, Cone of Cold, Investiture of Ice
Maybe ask your DM if you could learn Wall of Ice too, I see no reason sorcerers couldn't get it.
>>
Can a bladesinger cast 2 fireballs using extra attack?
>>
>>56814938
Last stat-dump character I played was a warlock with no more than a 12 in cha. It was fun trying to go for spells and stuff that doesn't care for your charisma. It was surprisingly decent in combat, but her limelight was out of combat utility.
>>
>>56814971
+2 bonus on some stats is easily worth more than feats.
>>
>>56814855
Ask your DM to refluff spells as cold instead. Maybe your "fireball" is actually a ball of ice that shatters into ice shards instead
>>
>>56814974
>Just do it
Good advice Anon, thanks!
>>
>>56814901
If I was your DM I'd jump on the occasion to turn that former friendly NPC into a new vilain and have him betray you at an interesting moment.

Do it.
>>
>>56814901
It only leads onto becoming a lich because with enough animate dead power they can create a bunch of servants to do shit for them. The users also tend to be evil because poorly maintained zombies/skeletons might attack a passing by civvy, so you have to make absolutely sure you're around to re-control them at the end of every day. Being a lich just means that the undead won't attack you.

The wand is limited to keeping 24 undead alive,and it's not really enough to become independent, and the guy becoming undead isn't going to help his guys not attack his allies.

Also casting animate dead has no affect on their mental health really. If they're used to magic and seeing people die this isn't anything. It might worry civvies and shit if they're not used to magic, but it can also serve as a warning for what happens when you attack.

Just don't fall for the 'animate dead is evil' memes. The only evil part of the spell is if you're fucking incompetent/die and don't reassert your control over your undead/someone uses dispel magic I guess?, in which case they stand around aimlessly and might try attacking living things that are nearby, but they don't exactly actively hunt living things unless they pass by them. They'd be easily dispatched where they are, what makes undead dangerous is when they're controlled or they go guerilla.
>>
>>56814901
He could also go rogue and start his own tower of necromancy and become the next villain. I'd say 100% go for it. This is super fun.
>>
>>56814972
>>56815015
Shit wrong Anon
>>
>>56814978
Extra attack gives you an extra attack on your attack action. Casting fireball is not an attack.
>>
>>56814968
What the fuck is the point of the monk multiclass, especailly since you can't use martial arts while wearing a shield if I remember correctly?

If you want to be the ultimate tank, go either halfling (reroll 1s on saves and attacks n' shit, also +2dex +1con is perfect stats) or hill dwarf (health benefits, +2 con and +1 wis) or v. human (tough feat, you need those ASIs to get dex and con as high as possible). Optionally, while it might decrease your health a bit, you can multiclass into rogue to keep your damage up, allow better grapples, uncanny dodge, evasion etc. Though note you can't grapple with both a shield and a weapon, so you'd have to attack before attempting grapple, and then you would be stuck with low damage.
>>
>>56814826
>Giving it extra attack in the same book adding blade cantrips seems retarded, as they are directly in competition with each other.
Dunno, as much as i hate SCAG cantrips (because they are optimal for almost anyone and kinda allow all casters into melee) i don't think this is bad thing, because it gives you more option - sometimes you want to BB, sometimes GFB and sometimes just stab him twice.

>>56814855
>It was a Silver Dragon according to the GM,
I can't help but remember few threads back someone was complaining about DM magical-realming their character with silver dragon, who held said character 4 months captive as exchange for some artifact...

> Do we have enough good ice spells to make that a viable option, or would I be fucking myself for doing this?
Would your DM allow you to refluff fire spells to ice spells? Just switch the damage type and change the name, with everything else same?
It is better with Xanathar and EE, but it think fire is still more common.
>>
>>56813631
>>56813658
What resource is it in? I would like to read the full entry for it
>>
>>56815021
I do believe in some settings the act of animating the dead is considered an evil act because you are bringing an unnatural evil into the plane, but it is not a "paladins fall" kind of evil, more like a lesser evil. But again, depending on setting.
>>
>>56814972
>>56815017
>>56815023
>>56815021
Two votes for
>He's totally becoming a necromancer if you do
Two votes for
>He'll be fine, the spell's not evil in itself
Four votes for
>Do it
THE CHOICE IS MADE
>>
>>56815084
curse of strahd

http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Haunted_One
>>
>>56815085
To be fair my DMs likely to assume it's an evil act in itself, he's just that kind of guy read: an unimaginative goyim
>>
>>56815086
Good, its going to be as good as the DM makes it
>>
>>56815132
As a DM myself I will never understand why a player stays with a DM they don't like. I always try my best to make everyone on the table feel engaged and satisfied.
>>
>>56815059
>What the fuck is the point of the monk multiclass, especailly since you can't use martial arts while wearing a shield if I remember correctly?
Was going for the wisdom to armor but didn't saw the no shield allowed so forget the monk.
>If you want to be the ultimate tank
I wasn't going for the ultimate combo. Only for that particular one and was asking a second opinion.
>>
>>56814971
You can, but you shouldn't.

Depends on class. If you are supporty caster in relatively large group, you can dump stats and just cast utility/support spells. Especially true for druid (who wildshape into beast and use totally different set of stats).

If you are martial, you should raise your attack stat stats, albeit some feats (PAM,...) might take priority.

What class are you?
>>
>>56814974
Sounds nice. I can see new spells have been added not in the PHB. I'll have to scrounge for those. Thankfully my GM doesn't follow the PHB+1 rule.

>>56815010
I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling my GM has PTSD after a That Guy who used to be in our group, convinced the GM to allow Lore Wizard. It was terrible.

>>56815072
>I can't help but remember few threads back someone was complaining about DM magical-realming their character with silver dragon, who held said character 4 months captive as exchange for some artifact...
To be fair, Silver Dragons seems to be the kind who might do that, don't they? Thankfully my GM only does this kind of magical realm after we have a chat about it, and agree to do it.
>>
>>56815179
Don't get me wrong, he's a decent DM but he tends to arrive at the meme conclusion each time. Doesn't make it any less fun tho, even a really bad game of DnD's still a pretty good one tbqh
>>
>>56815183
Ultimate tank:
Bladesinger, Barbarian, Monk, with 20 in Dex, Con, Wisdom and Int.

But yeah, the high AC combo is ok. I allowed it on a game and it was hardly game breaking. Neo can dodge bullets, but Neo can't dodge Stinking Cloud, apparently.
>>
>>56815072
>Dunno, as much as i hate SCAG cantrips (because they are optimal for almost anyone and kinda allow all casters into melee) i don't think this is bad thing, because it gives you more option - sometimes you want to BB, sometimes GFB and sometimes just stab him twice.
Yeah, I believe some anon posted the math for a level 20 fighter, where it was only *barely* worse than 4 attacks somehow, assuming no SS or GWM. That seems kinda insane. Makes me shudder to think of how strong an AT is late game, with those sneak attack dice, AND a bonus action to just waltz away to force the enemy to move to melee them.

Still, I don't see any concievable situation where a wizard would really prefer stabbing twice over GFBing. Already at 6, when you get extra attack, the cantrip is already better, and just keeps getting better from there.

A Bladesinger really doesn't get much use out of that attack.
>>
>>56814968
Unarmored defenses don't stack
>>
With my game ending and a possible chance to make a new class if I can't use my artificer anymore, which is the easiest class for learning full casters?
>>
>>56815085
Base FR setting it's just using shadowfel spirits to puppet corpses, and there's no real sensible alignment anymore anyway, so at least in the base setting it's probably 'depends on how you use it'. Though I think somewhere it said that 'Animating the dead is not a good act' to which I mentioned 'pissing in the woods isn't a good act either, but it doesn't make you evil.'

But yes, depends on the setting very much if it's a homebrew setting.
>>
>>56815249
Barb and Monk Don't stack faggot.
>>
>>56815267
>I don't see any concievable situation where a wizard would really prefer stabbing twice over GFBing.

The enemy is immune to fire.
>>
>>56815249
You get nothing with monk, that being said. Can you Bladesing while Raging?
>>
>>56815292
Booming Blade then?
>>
>>56815192
I'm a barbarian, but I'm not necessarily planning on going for any feats. I know which ones I would benefit from and everything, I'm just trying to get a handle on what kind of stats you "need" at various levels. It's just hard to try and predict how much you need for hitting ACs, how high your AC should be, how hard skill check DCs will be, etc throughout the course of the campaign
>>
>>56815034
Dang
>>
File: breath.jpg (88 KB, 900x344)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
As a DM is it a good idea to buff the dragonborn breath weapon?
I have one in my game and they never use it ever because it's so underwhelming, what would be a good idea to make it better?
>>
>>56812785
>Not a Bard

Bards are superior to all.
>>
>>56815300
Sure. But now I gave you a conceivable situation in which you'd prefer stabbing over GFB. It doesn't strain the imagination to think of other situations.
>>
Considering making this house rule in my game, because hexblades are stupid multiclass bait. But did I just fix bladelocks?

>When a character takes the Pact of the Blade, they gain proficiency in medium armor, shields, and all weapons, as well as being able to use their charisma for attack rolls and damage with their pact weapon should they so desire.
>They may also create any weapon for their pact except for those detailed in the “improved pact weapon” invocation from Xanathar’s Guide to Everything. If they create a weapon with the “heavy” or “two-handed” property, they must use strength for attack rolls, but may use either strength or charisma modifiers for damage. They may also summon their pact weapon as a bonus action, rather than an action.
>Finally, Pact of the Blade warlocks automatically gain the Thirsting Blade invocation at level 5, which is not counted against their number of invocations known.
>>
>>56812824
>Wanting good behavior, civility, and moderator-enforced progressive values.

Cuck a doodle doo
>>
>>56815296
AH! True, my bad.
>Can you Bladesing while Raging?
I don't see why not. You are already going into a very weird and quite specific multiclass for something a simple shield casting would do, anyways.
>>
>>56815183
Well, yeah, just do it without monk and if you want unarmed attacks go tavern brawler, simply.
>>
>>56815220
>I'll give it a shot, but I have a feeling my GM has PTSD after a That Guy who used to be in our group, convinced the GM to allow Lore Wizard. It was terrible.
It should not be too bad as you are just going cold damage. Why was it a problem?
>>
>>56814865

How do?
>>
>>56815220
>Silver Dragons seems to be the kind who might do that, don't they?
Possibly true. I am not well versed in dragon lore. Just the similarities drew my attention.

>That Guy ... convinced the GM to allow Lore Wizard
It's not like your sorcerer can switch the damage type every time.

>>56815267
>A Bladesinger really doesn't get much use out of that attack.
I guess it is one of reason they gave it to him - it make the character feel as competent warrior, but won't break balance much (because you usually have better things to do).

>>56815304
The ACs are balanced around characters taking ASIs for their attack stat, but if feat lets you attack twice (for example) the -1 to hit and damage won't really hurt you.

I am not sure about balancing AC and DCs for skill checks seems largely arbitrary and depending on DM.
>>
>>56815320
Still, that is a very narrow situation. I'd say it is more reasonable to let them attack into a cantrip. It helps encourage melee, and it is always useful.

Or give them something different entirely, like +int to any attack, including the blade cantrips. Just *something* that doesn't feel so pointless.
>>
>>56815337
Those first two things aren't bad though; there is nothing gained in acting like a mentally ill shitburger all the time.
>>
>>56815370
Read the OP. Download the file and follow the instructions in the Readme
>>
>>56815286
Agreed. Still, a particularly pissy lawman (be it a paladin, an uptight cleric or a snobby wizard) could foreseeably cause trouble for you there. Still, I don't see why the DM would give you guys a wand of Animate Dead if he was diametrically against the idea of using necromancy in a non-evil context, but ok. Seems like a shortcoming.
>>
>>56815330
Probably.

You'll get people saying "BUT EB BETTER!", but that would legitimately make them solid regardless of patron, and still not be a strictly superior choice to any of the other 2 pact boons.
>>
>>56815278
If you want to learn by making mistakes, wizard, if you want a safety net, clerics or druids. If you want to learn casters while knowing how the rest of the game works and are looking to explore the effects of different magics and strategies, bard
>>
>>56814302

On /tg/ I can call you a faggot nigger and get away with it.
>>
Would you let Masterminds get access to the more exotic languages when they get to choose two at level three?
>>
>>56815397
Bards are full casts?
>>
>>56815278
>Easiest
They're about as easy as each other really. I'd advise just going in at the deep end - pick Wizard, look up all the ins and outs, and become the quasi-deity you always wanted to be.
>>
>>56812855

Is this a joke?
>>
>>56815373
Well, I don't think it feels pointless, honestly, as someone who plays a level 9 bladesinger. Sometimes I do prefer to make two attacks because I guarantee poisoning two people with my weapon, and giving them disadvantage on their attacks is better than dealing slightly more damage to both of them.
>>
>>56815361
>It should not be too bad as you are just going cold damage. Why was it a problem?
Because he abused it all the time, and it became a massive headache. Might not be a problem, I'll definitely ask, I just worry he remembers Lore Wizards changing elements, and immediately triggers his PTSD.

>>56815371
Silver dragons, contrary to other dragons, has a fondness of... putting their things in things they don't belong in, so to speak.

But yeah, hopefully it isn't a problem for him.
>>
>>56815380
>>56814865
>>56814858

Sorry for being dense, the internal panic set in and I'm darting through text without actually reading it.
>>
>>56815412
Yeah. A full caster is anyone who gets up to 9th level spell slots from their class. Or if they get spells at first level. Those are pretty much the indicators
>>
>>56815406
Yes. They're smart dudes.
>>
>>56815436
No, full casters are anyone with full spellcasting progression.

Warlock gets spells at level 1 and 9th level spell slots but they don't get the spellcasting feature at all.
Warlocks are some real funky 'less than full casters but can cast high level spells' shit.
>>
>>56815427
>Well, I don't think it feels pointless, honestly, as someone who plays a level 9 bladesinger. Sometimes I do prefer to make two attacks because I guarantee poisoning two people with my weapon, and giving them disadvantage on their attacks is better than dealing slightly more damage to both of them.
>Poisoning
You have a far better GM than I, my friend.

I have never met a GM who didn't use the base poison rules, and they are absolutely atrocious.

But I did forget about bonuses from magic weapons, so that's a fair point. If you have a magic weapon that deals something extra on hit, 2 attacks would indeed be better than 1 GFB/BB attack. Might change my mind once my GM decide to actually hand my Bladesinger a magic weapon he can use...
>>
So I'm looking at the 5etools and there's this cult tab, what book is this from?
>>
>>56815401
But then you hardly contributed to the conversation, did you now? As an older fag I don't see the appeal to name calling and general tomfoolery. To me it is just a juvenile expression of a misguided freedom of speech that does nothing for you or anyone else and is simply downright a waste of my time. And as someone who has a limited amount of time each day to discuss subjects I am passionate about, like roleplaying, I prefer it to be concise and to the point and free of the proverbial "kids being kids".
>>
>>56815462
Warlocks don't get 9th level spell slots. They have the ability to cast 6-9th level spells once a day from a class feature, but they are not spell slots. You cannot upcast a lower level spell into those.
>>
>>56815500
So what are they? 3/4th caster?
>>
>>56815462
Warlocks being fullcasters is wrong, because it implies a power they do not have.

They have barely any spell slots, and only up to 5. This means things like Shield is pointless, similar to any other low level, non scaling spell. They are amazing for a sorcerer, cleric, wizard, etc, because they don't need those slots for anything else anymore. A Warlock can't afford to waste their precious spell slots on that.

Furthermore, they get 1 of each level from 6 and above. That is significantly worse than any proper full caster. Don't make a mistake here: It isn't 1 spell SLOT. It is 1 SPELL, period. You don't get to change this. You get 1 spell, and it that spell isn't relevant, you have no other spells at that level that can be used instead.

They get high level spells, which is great and all, but they are not a full caster. They are at least a full tier below them. Their spell list is also pretty damn bad.
>>
>>56815466
>Base poison rules
I agree those are bad if you want to be a poisoner and rely on those alone, but the point is that further poisons are supposed to be in the DM's domain similar to magic weapons, becaause poisons could be quite powerful, especially with how some classes could use them (Damage to every attack would be good on a fighter who makes many attacks, for example)

So asking for more poison rules is the same as asking to be allowed to get some cool shit by using any other toolkit.
.. Which is a reasonable thing to ask of your DM if they're not lazy, but the whole point of me making this post is that sometimes a DM doesn't really have time for all this faffing about with toolkits unless it's out of the game session.

>>56815500
Yeah, you're right, I worded it wrong.
>>
>>56815492
Or you know you could just ignore them like any person with a brain does.
>>
How would you build an encounter around this guy?
>>
>>56815466
I don't have a magic weapon, but using an alchemist's supplies I synthesized a yellow mold my DM used against us in a trap and made a slightly weaker but usable version of it to inflict poisoned on a failed Con DC 13 save, which is super decent. It lasts a minute too, which is super good.

But yeah, I feel the GM should reward more creative approaches to this kind of stuff, yes. And if they do, hardly any feature feels pointless.
>>
>>56815522
>>56815528
Our GM allows the base, which is something like
>Spend a week to make a dose of poison, which lasts for one attack, and deals poison condition and deals 1d6 damage on a failed DC10 Con save
Which is literally nothing.
>>
>>56815527
He's probably immune or at least resistant to necrotic, would probably use an iron or stone golem as a base.
>>
>>56815539
Poisoned condition is quite big if you hit a tough enemy with it.
It shouldn't be hard to ask the DM to make a poison with a higher DC.
>>
>>56815513
Warlocks. They're kind of their own thing. They're arcane casters, charisma casters, martial casters, pact casters, and gish magnets, but they aren't full casters
>>
>>56815527
Rather than producing corpses like zombies and skeletons, it'd probably spew out ghosts and corny epitaphs.
>>
>>56815522
As a side note, have you checked Xanathar's? They have a huge section detailing many uses and synergies for all sorts of toolkit out there, and it felt truly divine to expand on them.

>>56815539
Next time, ask if you can harvest the poison out of a naturally poisonous creature, or trap, or natural environment. Who knows, might go well.
>>
>>56815577
>Next time, ask if you can harvest the poison out of a naturally poisonous creature, or trap, or natural environment. Who knows, might go well.
>>56815559
>Poisoned condition is quite big if you hit a tough enemy with it.It shouldn't be hard to ask the DM to make a poison with a higher DC.
Last time I asked my GM for either, he just said "I'd rather stick to the book"

Might check if I can find some decent rules, if I supply them, he might be more likely to agree.

Cheers, my Bladesinger will definitely like some poisons.
>>
>>56815619
>Bladesinger
>No use of 2 attacks
>Memecantrips
Shadowblade. You want Shadowblade.
>>
Boys, My DM won't let me play as a Human Revenant Life Cleric for obvious reasons. Is there some kind of infected race or subrace that would be similiar? Perhaps some kind of race that are just infected humans that my character could have been infected with partway through his life?
>>
Which feat do you guys think is better for a V-Human Sword Bard starting at level 8: Warcaster or Defensive Duelist? Both are very appealing.

I'm also considering a 1 level dip to Hexblade for those sweet bonuses, to start with Warlock 1/Bard7. Dumb or worth it?
>>
is there any real value in all the warlock disguise/deception/stealth stuff? I usually figure it's more of a rogue thing but warlocks really have a ton of it
>>
>>56815619
I made a Drow Bladesinger on our OoTA game, so it just felt right to use poisons.

And for more poison rules, check both the DMG and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. ALSO, check creatures with poisonous attack and how the behave. If you can emulate them and balance around things that already exist your DM would feel much more welcome to the new additions, I am sure.
>>
>>56815527
Sounds real neato.

Probably have him be an excessively tough boss that is best defeated not by attacking it directly, but by something else, such as throwing holy water over it. The guy doesn't do much damage himself if you don't stand near him (He's like a moving environmental hazard) but he'd probably raise undead and/or spirits from the shadowfel to attack. He'd have a limited number of raise dead and once out of undead he can't make anymore, but he'd keep summoning spirits on a recharge timer.

To deal with the guy himself you'd either read out in the inscriptions on each tombstone one at a time with your turn (requiring whatever language it's in) in respect of the dead to make the thing fall away, throw holy water on it, perhaps stupid shit like trrying to use an impromptu ceremony for the dead. Or there's plenty of other ways, and definitely leave room for players to think up ideas, as well as have some things in the environment that could help.
He'd have a realistic level of health not unlike some other golem, but the reason you want to fight him a different way is that smashing the tombstones straight-up causes bad effects (Perhaps a 1d6 table such as necrotic damage, curses, summoning a ghost, etc).

Anyway that's my interpretation. I like the idea of it not being a standard 'walk up to it and deal damage' fight necessarily.
>>
>>56815639
My big question is why and how is this required for your character?
>>
>>56815649
If you don't have a rogue, or if you really wanna play a caster, I guess
>>
>>56815619
Well, you also have to account for a lot of enemies having poison immunity anyway. Even if you do get poisons, many enemies will shrug it off.

>>56815577
Oh, right, forgot about that, should probably be aimed at >>56815619
>>
>>56815635
That spell at higher levels can do ABSURD amounts of damage.
>>
>>56815639
You play a human, inject copious amounts if poison and diseases into your character, making him affected by crippling infections

Done.
>>
>>56815639
>my DM won't let me play a broken as fuck UA race is there something else just as snowflakey
It's bait and I took it
>>
>>56815649
Waelocks have the more social variants. Disguise and alter self at will is definitely fitting for a Warlock. Rogues dont get seen, warlocks do, but as exactly what they want you to see them as.

Dex vs Cha
>>
>>56815677
>poison immunity
True! For those you have your minute meteors and vitriolic spheres... Sorry, let me take out my hipster glasses. I meant Fireballs and Cone of Colds.

That is why I enjoy playing Bladesingers so much. In the end of the day you are still a full wizard and can bring a world of hurt anyways.
>>
>>56815682
Exactly.

And it scales with extra attack.

Bladesinger are blessed by having extra attack, specifically because of this spell. It was tailor made for Bladesingers.
>>
>>56815649
Can use it to give the Rogue backup or create a distraction and not give away your identity.
>>
are the "bonus" racial feats from xanathar's in 5etools? I thought there were some extra ones for like the Volo's races and stuff but I can't find it anywhere online
>>
>>56815671
It's mostly a backstory related. I'm playing apart of a pair of brothers. One living and the other undead. The undead being the smarter one, his whole goal in life is to see his brother reach success, start a farm, and find a wife to continue the family name before his year is over with. I was thinking that if he was infected with some disease instead he only had a year left before he'd be dead to see his brother happy.
>>
>>56815736
>I thought there were some extra ones for like the Volo's races and stuff but I can't find it anywhere online
It was terrible homebrew as Xanathar preorder bonus by people behind DnD Beyond. Don't look for it. It is shit.
>>
File: Storm.jpg (275 KB, 1697x2394)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
Is storm sorceror any good? It looks at least like fun to play as.
>>
>>56815714
I still don't enjoy bladesinger, though.
The level 2 ability can be summed up as 'you're a wizard except you get bonus AC and a bit of extra mobility' which sounds like you're swapping fun and flavourful utility of each school for this oddball shit that's just a striaght combat upgrade you can use in every combat for the duration of the combat.
The extra attack is good because it allows grapples and various things, though you have to wonder if it's okay to give wizards access to that when that's the martial's main redeeming feature in the first place. Then the levels after level 6 are either unlikely to be accessed or they're 'you do extra damage on hit' which it dreadfully boring for a wizard feature.

I feel war wizard is more in the right direction, though obviously it doesn't lend well to melee combat, but to make a melee fighter wizard I feel you'd either need to give them more melee spells or you'd need to make a clone of wizard that has some features changed and some nerfs to compensate then for a melee fighting buff.

It's mostly just that I don't like the idea of wizards, with no effort at all, gaining high ACs when it ruins the party dynamic of 'wizard does lots of cool utility shit in and out of combat but you need to protect them.'
>>
>>56815659
Outstanding post.
>>
>>56815714
Exactly my thoughts as well. I have a level 14 Bladesinger, and got into a friendly duel with a noble. When it suddenly turned out it wasn't a friendly duel, and that he had coated his blade in poison to kill me, he got a nice forcecage to sit and reconsider his course of action, while I called for my friends.

Bladesingers are not fighters. It may look like a shitty fighter, but it is a shitty fighter because it is still a wizard, first and foremost.
>>
>>56815763
So play a human, have average or below average con and role play out someone living on borrowed time. Done no special anything needed since it sounds like description and role play can do what you want with no issue.
>>
is storm herald as amazingly shit as it seems?

it seems like possibly the worst subclass in the entire game unless I'm missing something
>>
>>56815853
It's not the best but four elements monk, PDK fighter, and beast master ranger still exist, so.... no, it's not the worst. I'd arguably put it above berserker.
>>
>>56815853
Grapple Barb who burns his held target(s)
>>
File: bfb.jpg (73 KB, 600x934)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>mfw when I read the samurai
>>
How does paladin with longsword and shield work with shield master? You attack and then shove the creature? What do you gain from the shove?
>>
>>56814235
Stool is a precious cinnamon roll
>>
>>56816003
Can always count on WotC to over react and listen to white room theory crafters to nerf anything powerful or fun for martials into the ground from here on out. They're probably still catching shit for some of the core feats.
>>
>>56814769
Tittymancers
>>
>>56816058
You can use your bonus action to shove BEFORE attacking, if what ever you shoved fails a athletics or acrobatics check, iirc, they are knocked prone and you now have advantage on attack rolls for a better chance to crit smite.
>>
>>56815853
It got nerfed to hell and back, especially Tundra.
>>
>>56815788
Understandable. A lot of people get pissy when other characters step on their toes and I am a great preacher of the classic party dynamic.

But I still enjoy that the option is there. There is something very enjoyable about Gishing that had me hooked ever since AD&D when I figured out I could play an elf Wizard/Fighter.

>>56816061
Stool is the absolute best thing out of that. We made him the party mascot and he went toe to toe with a hierophant of Zuggtmoy as we buffed him out of the wazoo. It was absolutely amazing.
>>
>>56815726
It is still a pretty decent spell for EK and Warlock. I want to see more of this kind of spells that have good synergy with other classes. Here is to hoping wizards release more of this in Planescape.
>>
>>56815773
It is fun as fuck to play, I can tell you that. It isn't stronger than an evoker, by any stretch of the imagination, but it sure is fun to mess with the weather.
>>
Savage AttackerPHB

Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee weapon attack, you can reroll the weapon's damage dice and use either total.

Does this mean that you roll two dices and deal dmg equal to their combination
>>
>>56816223
No. It's literally the worst feat in the game.
>>
>the only spell I have completely banned is simulacrum
>the only other ones I'm considering are booming blade and green flame blade

It's funny how much I hate these cantrips. Maybe I'll make them bladesinger exclusive or something.
>>
>>56816223
No, means you roll the dice and choose which one of them.

>>56816237
Hardly. Shadowblade is a weapon, for example. It is not the BEST feat, but hardly the worst.
>>
>>56816237
I would still rather have it than grappler desu.
>>
>>56816066
If it's not Elves or Wizards it's doomed from the start. If we're lucky, the supplement for the Revised Ranger will come with three more elven subraces and the Lore Wizard with no nerfs or changes!
>>
>>56816244
Why, what is the situation that is causing you pain?
>>
>>56816289
Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters. Especially arcane tricksters since they don't even have an extra attack.
>>
>>56816289
He's thirsty for (You)'s
>>
>>56816237
Actor and Weapon Master exists
>>
>>56816237
What feat is good for mele combat then?
>>
File: joey.png (19 KB, 475x498)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
Anybody try multiclassing with the Swashbuckler Rogue? Find any fun mixes? Perhaps go into Bard a bit for some funtime spellcasting?

im level 6 playing in SKT and giants make it hurt to live
>>
>>56816322
>Actor
Great feat for a CHA built character who plans on doing infiltration or heists.
>>
>>56816329
Sword bard for full Errol Flynn
>>
>>56816261
>>56816271
>>56816322
>at best increases your average damage output by 2 per turn
>doesn't expand any combat or utility options
>no +1 to a stat to make up for its shit
>doesn't apply to any damage dice outside of the weapon

>>56816326
Polearm master, great weapon master, shield master, and sentinel are all fantastic options. Even dual wielder is fucking better than savage attacker.
>>
>>56816316
I don't see a problem, really. It is just your players dealing damage to an opponent. You can easily work around it so that combat remains engaging. I can see if every single player you have is using these cantrips to boost their damage, but homogeneous spell choice just means they have a lot in common. You could build their party around that idea, you could say no one else in the realm has those powers and they are special of that. Work with your players, man, not against them.
>>
>>56816322
Both of those give +1 to a stat, already way better than savage attacker.
>>
>>56816244
Booming blade and green flame blade are perfectly fine
What's your problem with them?

Polymorph could do with being a higher level spell or having restrictions.
>>
File: Genasi_subraces_5e.png (511 KB, 800x547)
511 KB
511 KB PNG
Does anyone else feel like Genasi in this edition are just kind of bland?
>>
Which holy symbol do you think would be most appropriate to put on a sailor's uniform, Selune's or Umberlee's?
Umberlee is an evil goddess of the ocean that expects worship and offerings in order to travel the seas safely. Selune is a good goddess of the moon and navigation, not specifically the ocean or sailors, but some do worship her. Would people think sailors are bad guys for wearing Umberlee's symbol?
>>
>>56816440
See: >>56816318
>>
Is the Compendium of Forgotten Secrets homebrew at all balanced? Those special familiars seem a little too strong, even if they don't give the warlock magic resistance the way imp, quasit, and pseudo dragon do
>>
>>56816444
>earth genasi don't even have darkvision
>>
>>56816365
That could be fun. Works out flavor wise too because since childhood and even during the long travels now in SKT, my character plays the Lute and reads books he collects. Can easily justify the multiclass for the character.
>>
>>56816444
Fire and water are okay, but the other two are both pretty boring, especially air.
>>
>>56816444
Absolutely. But they always were. It doesn't help that fire and water are objectively stronger than earth and air for some reason.
>>
>>56816405
Neither of those classes need or deserve a damage buff. And don't act like damage doesn't matter, that's stupid and you know it.
>>
>>56816444
I like 'em just fine
>>
Isn't Eldritch Knight too weak? It's by far the worst gish
>>
>>56816237
>>56816223
Savage attacker is okay if you want to maximize your damage and you can't up your main attack stat anymore.

It is incredibly swingey and hard to use, though, I have extensive tables on an excel spreadsheet just to calculate the average damage for very specific set-ups.
It's effectiveness varies on crit chance, weapon damage dice, hit chance, number of attacks you make, number of attacks you have less, reaction attacks (since reaction attacks can also use savage attacker).. a lot of things. Pretty sure I missed some.

But it's actually somewhat okay on a critfishing greataxe half-orc barbarian-champion build.
>>
>>56816329
Battle Master for Riposte, Trip Attack, and Precise Attack. Also, Action Surge and don't forget to get Sentinel. I can't think of a combo that can increase the odds of Sneak Attacking on other people's turns more than this.

Swords Bard is also good.
>>
>>56816496
>spellcasting and also millions of attacks

it and battlemaster are the best fighters so take that for what you will
>>
File: fire_genasi.jpg (822 KB, 1920x1200)
822 KB
822 KB JPG
>>56816444
Human, but with a different skin color is like the most boring way you can do them imo.
>>
>>56816496
No, it is perfectly fine fighter.
>>
>>56816486
As a long time DM that has gone through the previous 4 editions of D&D, I guarantee you damage matters a lot, but it is hardly everything.

Aside from that, what you mean don't need nor deserve a damage buff? Both Spellthief and EK were famous for being behind the curve in damage for their respective classes.
>>
>>56816496
Action Surge grants you dual casting. Its really good with a multiclass Wizard.
>>
>>56816496
They were in PHB alone. But the supplements have greatly improved their development, both in damage and in defense.
>>
>>56814577
Occasionally ask the DM what the time is
Out of combat timekeeping isn't critically important
>>
>>56816496
Yeah, no reason to play an EK over Paladin or Hexblade
>>
>>56816531
AT is already unanimously considered the best rogue subclass, and EK has much better defenses than battlemaster to make up for its lack of damage. Until they they can haste themselves that is, at which point they become pretty monstrous.
>>
>>56816518
Arcane Archer is better than both tho
>>
File: dambb.png (57 KB, 320x320)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>56816586
>>
>>56816560
I honestly never heard anyone praise ST as the best rogue subclass before Xanathar's, much less unanimously. If you have any data on that I would love to see it. I always thought everyone was balls deep into assassin.
>>
>>56816586
>Hold Person
>Action Surge: Extra Attack
or
>Hold Person/Monster
>Action Surge: Disintegrate
>>
>>56816592
>mfw no vento aureo announcement
>>
>>56816507
If I go Sword Bard, think I should take one more in Rogue to get Evasion and then start? We are a hyper short rest party but the only other caster is a Warlock
>>
File: 1507977531711.png (78 KB, 493x381)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>>56816597
>Assassin
Holy shit, you have been trolled super hard if someone managed to convince you of that
>>
>>56816611
new chapter in 10~ days friend
>>
>>56816597
I usually just hear people complain that assassin requires too much DM adjudication.

In this thread at least people always suck AT's dick and try to cheat with it.
>>
File: RCqa4i1.jpg (47 KB, 460x690)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>56816597
>Assassin
>Best Rogue Subclass
>>
>>56816620
Yeah grab Evasion it's a good feature that can save you so many times, the bard levels won't do too much for a little while.

Also if you do go, bard, don't forget to get Dissonant Whispers. It can cause attack of opportunities.
>>
>>56816484
>It doesn't help that fire and water are objectively stronger than earth and air for some reason.
I honestly don't know what they were thinking. Fire and water both get a resistance, a cantrip, and a ribbon ability that matters (darkvision and swim speed/water breathing respectively), while earth and water get... ignore difficult terrain (only when it's stone or earth), hold your breath forever (when the fuck will this ever matter?) and no cantrips.
Why the fuck would anyone ever pick Earth or Air?
Also this >>56816521
>>
>>56816444
I wish the Genasi racials were kind of like the Aasimar ones where once per long rest you can hulk out and go full elemental sort of like >>56816521
>>
File: 1508313879259.jpg (64 KB, 679x540)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>56816003
>mfw I read the samurai
5e's like a B-Movie. It's missing what it needs to be great and that choice is a mix of lack of funding and deliberate design choice to appeal to a specific niche.
>>56816277
>the Lore Wizard with no nerfs or changes!
If the Lore Wizard emerges as-is, I'm giving up what little hope I have left in WOTC.
Also, there are three kinds of elves: High elves, wood elves, and drow. Fuck everything else.
>>
>>56816621
It wasn't very hard. You double all damage dice on a crit. A guaranteed crit is very powerful indeed, since you can prepare for it.

>>56816639
That is the problem with /tg/, mostly. People here keep trying to 'win at D&D'. That is a sure way to lose friends. Might be because I am a DM first, and a player second...
>>
>>56816444
Water genasi should have hair literally made out of water, constantly be wet, be uncomfortable in hot and dry conditions.

Air genasi should occasionally flicker in and out of corporeality, drift slightly off the ground and be ever so slightly transparent.

Earth genasi should have skin literally made out of rocks with the odd gemstone here and there.

Fire genasi should basically be like Flame Princess from Adventure Time.
>>
>>56816706
All elves are dark elves desu.
>>
>>56816597
So the thing is;

Rogues don't have a lot of tools specific to their subclasses. When it gets down to it, most of them are fairly niche and *could* be useful. The brunt of their features, which really has an impact, lies in their core features.

Assassins requires insane GM fiat to work. At all.

Thief can be good, especially very late, when you can use literally any magic item, but some of the core features are a lot worse than they sound, fast hands being a prime offender.

AT is a mini wizard. It gets access to blade cantrips, which are ridiculously good, and most importantly, it has mage hand legerdemain. The really retarded thing about this feature, is that while any other Rogue has to risk his neck to disarm that trap they can't avoid otherwise, an AT can just have his mage hand tap the ground in front of them, trigger the more simple traps without wasting time disarming them, or in case of the complex ones, stand at a safe distance and disarm them through his mage hand. Fail and has a GM that likes making the trap hit you? Nope, you aren't there, only your mage hand. You literally don't care if you fail or not most of the time.

Illusions are fantastic for diverting attention in ways the other rogues can't, and haste is solid gold for a rogue.

None of the other PHB Rogues has much to offer here. SCAG didn't help much on that front, either.

I don't actually know enough about the new ones in XGE to compare them though. Scout sounds cool, but I haven't actually read the subclass rules yet.
>>
>>56816735
This, pretty much.

Mechanically I think they could have pulled more abilities, skills and themes from the Genies and other elementals, instead of just going "generic elemental powers".
>>
>>56816706
>If the Lore Wizard emerges as-is, I'm giving up what little hope I have left in WOTC.
Inquisitive Rogue and martial nerfs across the board in XGE proves that they just don't give a shit about feedback. It's only a matter of time.
>>
>>56816756
I have never heard that about Assassin. What do you mean by GM fiat? Also, yes, give spells to a rogue and it is bound to be stronger than one without, but I always looked at Magic Initiate and thought "damn, confirmed crits with GFB". Then it doesn't help that I mostly talk with other DMs, not the forever theorycrafters or lonely players.
>>
>>56816756
>I don't actually know enough about the new ones in XGE
Scout is fun. Inquisitive has two abilities that are garbage; one is useless once you hit level 11, and the other is just useless from the moment you get it at 13.
AFAIK Mastermind and Swashbuckler haven't changed from SCAG.
>>
>>56816716
>It wasn't very hard. You double all damage dice on a crit. A guaranteed crit is very powerful indeed, since you can prepare for it.
I think you need to reread the circumstances in which you get that.

>Guaranteed crit
Only if you attack a surprised enemy. Which means
1. No one else in your party can have attacked yet
2. No one in your party can be spotted
It doesn't matter if you are invisible or striking from another plane of existance. They aren't surprised if your allies are spotted. Surprise rules are terrible in 5e.

>Double all damage on a crit
Yes, again, requiring aforementioned "Surprise", AND it has a Con save attached to it.

It is... alright, if your GM is good at setting it up for you, and is lenient on the rules. But it really is GM Fiat more than the rules being even decent here.

It's like how a Ranger can seem almost broken if all you do is run around nature and constantly has to survive extremely harsh conditions in the Rangers favored area. It can theoretically happen, but in your average campaign, it never will.
>>
File: poe_godlikes.png (396 KB, 654x364)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>56816521
I like the Godlikes from Pillars of Eternity, they're pretty interesting
>>
File: Stone Durability.png (88 KB, 480x300)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>56812682
So could a feature like this work officially?Hexblade's Charisma weapons are official do you think a feature like this could ever arise?
>>
>>56816821
>I have never heard that about Assassin. What do you mean by GM fiat?
Talking as a player who naively thought Assassin looked good, only to have a GM go full rules lawyer on me with how Surprise works in 5e, Assassins can only really work and use their features, if the GM pretty much ignores the rules as written. Otherwise it will seem more like ribbons for use when making a stealthy solo kill, which shouldn't happen often unless you want the other players to hate you.

>Also, yes, give spells to a rogue and it is bound to be stronger than one without, but I always looked at Magic Initiate and thought "damn, confirmed crits with GFB".
Magic Initiate does just generally seem stupidly good, I'll give you that, but not having to take it makes AT good already, and their spell casting feature is definitely not bad by itself.
>>
>>56816316
Hand crossbows are still stronger than booming blade and green flame blade for rogues.
It's only really useful for EKs who doesn't use big weapons or shieldmaster, in which case they're not really doing their job as a fighter well.
>>
>>56816855
I want to like them, but I hate them solely for the fact that Moon Godlikes are so fucking busted it is not even funny.
>>
>>56816597
AT is easily the best subclass, but while booming blade /green flame blade makes it stronger it doesn't break it at all. Hand crossbows are equally as good a choice for an AT.

All booming blade and green flame blade does is make melee a more viable choice over ranged combat.
>>
>>56816879
>AC uses no Dex
It's not unbalanced, but I don't see it happening officially simply due to that. It's literally just the Dragon Sorc's ability with a few words changed and an action to activate.
>>
File: balance man.png (241 KB, 400x400)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>56816911
Praise the Balance man, because they're getting nerfed in Deadfire!
>>
>>56816879
No.

Con being tied to AC is only okay for a Barbarian, who is intended to have a fuckton of health. It should never be for a spell caster.

Don't remove the 1 thing a spell caster is supposed to have as their weakness.
>>
>>56816879
Hexblade's charisma weapons were a mistake though granted it does mean bladelocks don't all now take shillelagh
>>
>>56816892
You don't need a feat to use the SCAG cantrips.
Also those cantrips don't get in the way of big weapons or shieldmaster at all.
>>
>>56816847
Never had a problem with that. But I feel you have some misconceptions here. Here:

Assassinate
Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

Surprise

A band of adventurers sneaks up on a bandit camp, springing from the trees to attack them. A Gelatinous Cube glides down a dungeon passage, unnoticed by the adventurers until the cube engulfs one of them. In these situations, one side of the battle gains surprise over the other.

The GM determines who might be surprised. If neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice each other. Otherwise, the GM compares the Dexterity (Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.

If you’re surprised, you can’t move or take an action on your first turn of the combat, and you can’t take a reaction until that turn ends. A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t.

Only thing here I see that can be a problem of what you mentioned is the fact it is the GM who determines who might be surprised. But then again I had entire combats end in the surprise round, I don't see a problem.

>>56816889
Seems like your GM just don't want you to play an assassin. I for one never saw a problem with having my bad guys die like flies to the hand of an unseen rogue.

>>56816913
I see. Funny how opinions do change.
>>
>>56816911

What sets them apart from other races?
>>
>>56816932
>Expansion
Well shit, there goes another 100 hours of my free time

>>56816955
I am 99% sure they did it specifically because it seemed dumb that Tome could practicaly be a better Bladelock than an actual bladelock for a very long time. Stats being limited as they are, you only really started getting any real use of the blade at level 11, and that was stupid as hell.

Still think it should have been added to the Blade, and not as a level 1 Patron feature.
>>
>>56816955
>bladelocks don't all now take shillelagh
Especially since you needed to be tomelock to take it. (Unless i am missing something?)
>>
>>56816944
>Weakness
You already have no reason to dump either dex or con
Making your AC run off of con only means that you can benefit from raising your con instead of your casting stat, which makes raising your con a viable option
It also gives you the option of dumping dex, which will only serve to weaken your character but can be flavourful.

It gives more options rather then makes you more powerful.

>>56816963
Big weapons synergizes with extra attack on EK much better
you cannot use shield master's bonus attack after BB/GFB
The fact you need to use a feat is irrelevant if that feat is much stronger than any other option on your ASI.
>>
>>56816995
CBE might be better than +2 dex/con, but that certainly isn't "irrelevant". I wouldn't bother personally.
>>
>>56816967
>The GM determines who might be surprised. If neither side tries to be stealthy, they automatically notice each other. Otherwise, the GM compares the Dexterity (Stealth) checks of anyone hiding with the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each creature on the opposing side. Any character or monster that doesn’t notice a threat is surprised at the start of the encounter.
Read this carefully.
You compare to EACH CREATURE.

1 guy in your party rolling low potentially means no one is surprised on the opposite site. You are either surprised, or you aren't. There is no "Surprised against the Rogue, but not the fullplate paladin" rule.

So as I said, this quickly becomes a case of the assassin trying to be stealthy, but constantly getting spotted because his party members aren't specced for stealth.

I am speaking from very salty experience here.
>>
>>56816974
They have a dumb racial that lets them heal stupid amounts of endurance whenever they hit 75%, 50% and 25% endurance. This is not tied to rests in any way, and will most likely proc multiple times in every tough battle, for free. A 5e equivalent would be a free healing spirits whenever you hit certain hp tresholds, no rests required.
>>
>>56816931
>>56816955
>>56816944
What if they lowered the calculations.
>11+CON
>12+CON
This coupled with the fact this can be turned off via incapacitation (Paralysis, Sleep, Unconcious, 0 hp)
>>
>>56817039
>I wouldn't bother
>It gives you twice as many attacks for two chances at landing sneak attack and doing weapon damage twice with dex modifier added to both
>You can attack with it at any range between 5ft and 30ft, unlike with melee, without issue

If you compare a hand crossbow rogue to a booming blade / green flame blade rogue that took an extra +2 dex ASI (Assuming you aren't a v.human in the first place) the hand crossbow will win out unless the booming blade / green flame blade guy lands their secondary effect, and even then it'll be close in damage with the hand crossbow guy still having the advantage they can just shoot from 30ft away and stay out of danger.
>>
>>56816995
>You already have no reason to dump either dex or conMaking your AC run off of con only means that you can benefit from raising your con instead of your casting stat, which makes raising your con a viable optionIt also gives you the option of dumping dex, which will only serve to weaken your character but can be flavourful.
No, you got it wrong.

As it is, most casters want their casting stat, con and dex. Con to make up for shitty HD, dex to not get hit all the time, and making those HP last longer.

Making Dex and Con the same stat, makes it a no brainer. Go full Cha+Con, and voila, tanky motherfucker with both a lot of health, a lot of AC (18 before shield) and no penalty to your casting.

It's dumb.
>>
what good is a pact of the blade when Eldritch Blast exists?
>>
>>56816967
If you got any real amount of use out of the assassin's abilities, you had a party and DM that were willing to base the entire way they do combat around you. Surprise can only work on the first round of combat, meaning that two of the Assassin's abilities can only be used if your party stops and hides to let you sneak ahead and actually start the fight against enemies that aren't prepared for combat and don't spot you with Passive Perception. Even if you pull that off, you only get one attack on one enemy, and then you don't get any more use out of your abilities until next combat. Finally, the two other assassin abilities are literally useless unless you're running a very specific kind of intrigue campaign.
Assassin is fucking garbage unless the DM makes nearly the entire campaign around you specifically.
>>
>>56817089
Have to agree with this guy. Paladins having retardedly high saves are balanced by the fact that it's really hard to get all stats high enough for it to matter.
>>
>>56817041
>Make a Moon Godlike monk
>Go into battle alone
>Have two healers stand back and heal him whenever he gets to 50%
>Constantly replenish a million HP
If only there was ANY CHANCE of dying due to your Health bar running completely dry, but I have never actually seen that happen. I ended up restarting as something else because of just how broken it was, to the point where I was soloing a fucking dragon with the monk alone, just to see if I could.
>>
>>56817135
>Assassin is fucking garbage unless the DM makes nearly the entire campaign around you specifically.
Or the GM changes the rules, hence my "GM Fiat" argument.

I've seen a GM after my initial shitfest of a game play with individual hiding, and letting the party engage, and still letting the Assassin get off his assassination on someone who hadn't seen him.

But that's outright changing the rules. I feel it makes more sense like this, but by RAW, Assassins are difficult to use at best, and doesn't have their features at worst.

Taking Alert gives easy access to advantage though.
>>
>>56817040
I don't know what to say. I never had a situation in my table where the party is being a noisy piece of shit and getting in the way of the rogue (or other scout). Might be because we have been doing this a long time and we kinda know what our strengths and weaknesses should be, but still.

Well, it is against PASSIVE perception checks. They take a -5 for being distracted, so I see how the party could help each other here, but I understand where the salt comes from.

Still, I think you have a bad GM instead of a bad subclass. And no, a subclass that gives more power over you to your GM does not make it worse than a subclass that doesn't, it just makes bad GMs worse than they are. I will reiterate I have never seen this as a problem no matter who I asked, mainly other GMs. Hell, they loved to tell stories of Sniper Assassins, which I chuckled to.

>>56817135
I don't see it, honestly. I had heard tales of assassins using assassinate three times in one round, with less returns because of sneak attack, but still had poison. Well, I guess it is how /tg/ sees it.
>>
>>56817089
It does not make con and dex the same stat.
Dex still gives initiative, dex saves, stealth, ranged attacks (Which are nice early on at the very least), mirror image AC, grapple resist, some other minor things.
Compared to your other options to use those starting stats on, dex is still the best. You won't dump dex.
Therefore your dex stat = your con stat.
Therefore it doesn't matter that you're using con instead.
If you're playing a MAD character such as a paladin then yes, it would be a buff. If you're playing at the level where you already have all your feats and have maxed your casting stat then you could argue that it would be a buff, but it depends. Inspiring leader is still better than +2 con in that case, actually.
>>
>>56817074
SCAG cantrips do as much damage at level 11, more later even without the secondary effect (which activate pretty often). Unless you also get SS as well, in which case have fun being two dex ASIs behind and trying to hit.

Not impressed. besides CBE and PAM are already dumb as fuck in their own right and aren't a good metric of what's balanced
>>
>>56817190
>I had heard tales of assassins using assassinate three times in one round,
Assassins don't have the 3 attacks to make that possible without multiclassing.
>>
>>56817190
My party doesnt even let the rogue do rogue things. They just dash on ahead and in general make a muck of things.
>>
>>56817190
>They take a -5 for being distracted
Distracted by what? You need to distract them before this applies. If someone is being aware of their surroundings, it is base passive perception, no modifier.

Even base 10 is too much for any plate wearing class. Likely 10 dex, no proficiency in stealth, and disadvantage on their roll. They have more than 50% chance of failing it. And that assumes the monsters in question have no bonus to perception at all.

>Still, I think you have a bad GM instead of a bad subclass. And no, a subclass that gives more power over you to your GM does not make it worse than a subclass that doesn't, it just makes bad GMs worse than they are. I will reiterate I have never seen this as a problem no matter who I asked, mainly other GMs. Hell, they loved to tell stories of Sniper Assassins, which I chuckled to.
*shrug*, the other GM I spoke to also didn't see the problem, but he agreed that he had to change the rules to make it work properly.

It does also depend on your groups. If you have 2 scouts, you already have 2 people you are pretty sure wont mess it up *too* badly most of the time, and if the other 2 aren't strength classes, they likely have enough dex and maybe even proficiency, which will make it possible to pull it off against low perception enemies pretty often.

But personally, when the majority of a class/subclasses features relies on GM and/or group composition to work, I feel like we are talking more "Design failure" than outright "weak".

I still believe AT is better, by virtue of being *consistent* no matter what your party is, and who your GM is, and how the encounters are designed.
>>
>>56817196
>Therefore it doesn't matter that you're using con instead.
Then why do you want it to use con instead?

The feature originates from the Sorcerer, which only cares about 2 stats if Con replaced Dex for AC.
>Dex still gives initiative, dex saves, stealth, ranged attacks (Which are nice early on at the very least), mirror image AC, grapple resist, some other minor things.
You are really grasping at straws here. Initiative is a minor benefit at most, as you get between 0 and +5, which is still added to a roll of a d20. You would never invest in dex for early game ranged damage. You don't care about mirror image AC.

Grapple resist and Dex saves are the only ones even remotely valid, and unless your GM has a strange fetish, I rarely see grapples used much. Dex saves are primarily damage, the bad ones are Wisdom, and Con makes up for the damage.

If I was playing a sorcerer that had this feature, I'd put dex at 10 and pump Wisdom. Easily worth twice that of Dex that doesn't add AC.
>>
>>56817245
That sounds like a fun, but a very inexperienced party. I am a bit of an oldschooler. We do things at a 10ft pole at a time pace.

>>56817242
Surprised round attack, plus a thrown dagger, plus he rolled high initiative and attacked next round before everyone else. That equals three, right?

>>56817287
Many cantrips have a 'distracting' feature. And might be because my players are ok with the 'scout out, eliminate targets of opportunity, go back, move forward, rince and repeat' routine of dungeon crawling.

But yeah, I see where you are coming from.

To go back to the original topic, do you think GFB and BB should be restricted to full casters? I don't think ST does a lot more with it than the warlock does with EB.
>>
>>56817391
Oh damn that two-weapon fighting no-sneak-attack dagger got a crit and did 2d4!
>>
>>56817391
>That sounds like a fun
I get complaints from the rogue a lot. I am having trouble finding things for him to do. He built for the all the sneaky and interrogation aspects of it, going for the new inquisitive.
>>
>>56817202
You have to account for the fact that hand crossbows become stronger the higher your sneak attack damage is because they have increased chance of scoring at least one hit on the turn.
I've got a graph of this damage matchup somewhere, but it'll take me a second to format the data.

In any case, the game is best balanced around assuming each class takes feats, otherwise the pure martials such as fighters become shit at their job compared to casters.

>>56817379
>Then why do you want it to use con instead?
It allows you to dump dex for flavour or to up con instead of your casting stat as an ASI choice. It gives the player more options.

>Initiative is a minor benefit at most, as you get between 0 and +5, which is still added to a roll of a d20.
Initiative is a big fucking deal when you consider that combats don't last very long. It can be the difference between having 2 turns before combat ends or having 3 turns. Having an entire extra turn is a big deal, not to mention moving first is a boon itself. It's a small chance from an increase in dex, but it's a small chance for something great.

Everything put together with skills, saves, etc makes dex a better option than strength, charisma, intellect and even wisdom (unless you need to be the party's seeing eye). It doesn't matter how good dex is in this case as long as dex is stronger than the other places to put your stat. At best, wisdom is as good as dex when dex doesn't contribute to AC.
>>
>>56817457
Have a couple areas that require him to sneak in to let the rest of the party in, pretty much build a couple sections that he absolutely shines in to get the party into a place or out of a jam.
>>
>>56817470
So if you're dumping dex for flavour anyways then why must something replace it if it's all about flavour and nothing to do with anything else?
>>
>>56817455
Apparently it had poisons on them (like viper venon), so the idea is that that would multiply too. I think is the idea is, if you miss the first sneak attack, you get the second.
>>
>>56817391
>Surprised round attack
Yes
>plus a thrown dagger
How did he throw the dagger when he had already used his action to attack?
>attacked next round before anyone else
That's not how surprise works. You determine surprise and roll intiative before anyone gets any turns. If the assassin rolled the highest initiative, he would get his surprise attack, but wouldn't be able to attack again until everyone else has had a turn. Surprised creatures can't move, use an action, or take a reaction during the surprise round, but they still get a turn.
>>
>>56817552
>second attack
You can fight with two weapons.
>>
>>56817552
I see. I always thought they were still surprised until the beginning of their non-surprised turn.

And I believe you can use two weapon fighting to throw a melee weapon with the thrown property.
>>
>>56817571
Forgot about TWF. Still doesn't explain where the third attack is coming from.
>>
>>56817516
Just because you're doing something for flavour doesn't mean you need to be punished for every aspect of doing that for flavour.
You're still punished by being slower in combat and all that shit, but you have a reason that you don't rely on dodging attacks to give you more AC.
>>
>>56817470
>It allows you to dump dex for flavour or to up con instead of your casting stat as an ASI choice. It gives the player more options.
You literally just said you still can't dump Dex with this feature "because dex is so important even without AC".

You are grasping at straws way too hard. You clearly just want your balance breaking feature to make your snowflake build more powerful. Fuck off.

>Initiative
The problem is still that we are talking 0 to +5. It gives a small advantage, but we are talking very minor here, because it is unreliable. You cannot count on having it ever. Yeah, it is nice when it happens, better when it happens more often, but whem is that, exactly? I'm the pointless small fights where the enemy barely gets to act, or the big important fights?

The d20 has too much statistical weight for a small bonus to matter. Since you likely talk about having around 14 Dex, it is a +2, +3 if you for some ungodly reason want to put 16 in your Dex when your retarded feature lets you add con instead. Itt is especially not worth an ASI, when you could take Alert instead.
>>
>>56817599
Yeah because now you have a reason to pump con for more health and AC, on a caster class, that is supposed to be a little more squishy. See the issue some people might have here? Especially with people who would abuse this?
>>
>>56817599
>Just because you're doing something for flavour doesn't mean you need to be punished for every aspect of doing that for flavour.
No, but you literally want to punish people who want to pump Dex, because your snowflake feature is strictly superior, and makes pumping dex instead of con+casting stat stupid.
>>
Going to be play a Cleric for the first time, a Tempest Cleric of Valkur.

Anyone have advice for good Cleric spells and tricks? Also is it just me or do they have a shit high level spell list?
>>
>>56817599
>I want my sorcerer to be as tanky as a fighter!
Remove yourself from the hobby.

WotC axed your retarded wet dream subclass that read like a dandwiki shitbrew, I want you to go the same way that UA did. Into the thrash compactor.
>>
File: 1480549980352.jpg (44 KB, 406x406)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>56817658
>thrash compactor
>>
File: file.png (17 KB, 746x417)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
Here we go, DPR on the left-hand side versus level on the bottom.

The only thing that really needs to be questioned here I think is the target AC, which I've made increase from 14 at level 3 to 20 at level 20, or conditional stuff like advantage (AT can self-grant advantage later with their bonus action, or they could hide). Maybe magic weapons. Also some things I might be forgetting.

I just like graphs, sue me.
>>
>>56817652
>do they have a shit high level spell list?
The fuck makes you say that?
>>
>>56817658
This has nothing about making the class have higher AC.
As I said, it only gives you more options for what is viable.

>>56817636
>Punish people who pump dex
That's true, but they can go pick a different archetype in that case which suits them better. The idea is that whatever archetype we're talking about should presumably not be a high-AC archetype, and I feel stone sorcere 'sort of' fits that, though not by a lot.

>>56817634
Uhh, no?
You pump con for more health and AC and now your casting stat is worse, which makes you worse at your job as a caster, or you don't have a feat.
You pump one stat, you neglect another.
I'll only concede that at high levels where you've had all the ASIs you could need that you won't have anything left to pump but perhaps con.
>>
File: 1425179197711.png (119 KB, 400x388)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>spending my days off preparing cool quests and plotlines related to PCs backstories and main quest arch
>my PCs all talked after the session about how good the quests are and how the encounters are challenging
>gets compliments on NPCs they meet that are funny and/or interesting
>got tons of free time comming up to continue working on my stuff
feels fucking amazing guys
so nice to finally have a hobby that feels like it means something and where you can be creative and actually make something
>>
>>56817693
At level 6, 7, 8 and 9 they seem to be pretty lacking in good picks aside from a bunch of utility, healing/revive spells and maybe 1 or 2 combat spells. I mean before then their spell list looks great but it just seems kinda meh at high levels compared to other casters.

My last character was a Sorcerer and while the spells known hurt at level 11+, I at least had some bitching spells to use. Maybe they're better then I think they are though, Divine Word looks cool.
>>
>>56817744
>preparing cool quests and plotlines related to PCs backstories and main quest arch
Pls 2 halp. Need assistance with this
>>
>>56817799
Spill info on chars and main quest. I'm feeling generous.
>>
>>56817730
Anon stop playing dumb it's embarrassing, anyone who looks at this using point buy or standard has the easiest way to abuse it, highest in cast, second in con, third in Dex and then spread from there. So in a way you're not neglecting shit because you're best stat will still be your casting which is what one, two ASI tops to max? So now not only is your casting stat pretty solid, your actions isn't lacking behind and your health is now far better. Even if you do roll hell that would still be the route a lot of people would take.

You can't just think in terms of "well no one would ever abuse this it's all for flavour" because that is naive and wrong. You have to take the role players and the minmaxers into account when making something. Unfortunately this is far too easy to abuse.
>>
>>56817744
It feels incredible, doesn't it? I love when my players look at the mesh of plotlines and political intrigue I laid at their feet and their eyes light up with understanding and they catch the BBEG without me even saying a word.

It feels fucking amazing.
>>
>>56817833
>Your ac
fucking auto correct
>>
>>56817799
What few tips I can give I have picked up here and there. a few could be:
>Find out your PCs motivations for adventuring
>Have them make backstories with plothooks but keep the future open (if that makes sense..)
>Try dropping hints here and there related to their backstories, such as people they recognize from their past or NPC randomly mentioning places related to the PCs
>make the main story line vague enough to change shit up as things progresses, but keep a general plan in mind
>>
>>56817833
>you're best stat will still be your casting which is what one, two ASI tops to max?
Assuming you're not a rolling for stats pleb faggot, it will always take 2 or 3 ASIs.
That means level 12+.
And once you reach level 12, there are honestly better options for your feat such as inspiring leader anyway. No matter how you look at it, inspiring leader is better than +2 con unless somebody else already has it, but I will admit not everyone can be assed to take that feat, so assuming you take the suboptimal +2 con then it's level 12+.

I'm doing all of this with regards to min-maxers. A min-maxer cannot abuse this.
All this does is give the flavourfags less punishment.
>>
>>56817841
man it really does, having them connecting the dots on their own and follow their discussions in our group chat is so cool
>>
>>56815527
>>56815659
Could also combo him with this guy. Sort of like a duo of crypt guardians preventing the party from entering and taking an item of importance like a lich's phylactry, a vampire's resting place, etc.
>>
>>56817841
Fuck man, I wish that happened for me.
Apparently I suck at dropping hints, so I've never seen an 'Aha' moment of that calibur.
>>
>>56817874
>Minmaxers can not abuse a way to make a class slightly less MAD
Ha
>>
>>56817690
CBE is the dumbest thing in the game. How in the world do crossbows have the ability to fire faster than regular bows?
>>
>>56817833
not the guy you're arguing with, but from a min/max position, I'm not terribly impressed with Stone Sorcerer only needing Con and Charisma.

Sure, you have two stats to max out, but your final AC isn't going to be out of line (18+2 shield). So while you might have more room for feats and ASI... what are you going to do with those that is so amazing?

I think the other Sorcerer options offer 'new things' instead of just reducing stat dependency. I'm a big fan of Divine Soul/Favored Soul and having the whole fucking cleric list to pick spells from. Shadow Sorcerer and Water Sorcerer have some really sweet defensive options. Dragon Sorcerer reaches similar AC with better offensive stuff. etc etc.

I'm not saying Stone Sorcerer is bad, far from it, but I don't think it outshines the other options (that'd be Favored Soul).

Finally, I think Stone Sorcerer's greatest appeal is the teleporting stuff and shield proficiency.
>>
>>56817941
because you are an expert in using crossbows, honestly I think the feat's more useful for losing disadvantage at melee range with ranged attacks but being a crossbow ranger or fighter is probably someone's dream.
>>
>>56817915
Min maxers will already have perhaps 15 dex 15 con 15 cha, perhaps reducing one or two of the dex or con stats to 14 to up wis to 10 instead depending on what their ASI is.

So, as a class feature, you've gained a small benefit and the ability to dump a useful stat. Wow.
>>
>>56816329
I've MC'd a swashbuckler and paladin. I think it was rogue 3/paladin 6 i think.
Took defensive fighting style and duel wielded shortswords to maximise sneak attack/smite oppurtunities.
Was a very fun nova damage dueler
>>
>>56817900
I figured out that the players give little fucks to hints and go straight for facts. So what I do is always describe things in repetition. "The goblin blades were human made, from somewhere in the north. Yes, the orcs are using northmen swords. Yes, the dead bodies see blade wounds." Ad infinitum until the make enough connections.
>>
>>56818048
>Designing your character purely around combat

Disgusting.
>>
>>56817766
>a bunch of utility, healing/revive spells and maybe 1 or 2 combat spells
It's a cleric, I'm not really sure what you want out of their high level spells other than that. The just aren't going to get any huge damage dealers, but they still get great spells such as Heal, Heroes's Feast, True Seeing, Resurrection, Symbol and Gate, plus the big game changers that are Word of Recall, Plane Shift, Regenerate, and Antimagic Field.
They may not get any good damage dealers at high levels, but they get some of the most important support and utility spells in the game.
>>
>>56816444
I like the idea of them but I don't think they are very compelling. They have very little context other than "oh boy maybe your dad was a genie or lived beside a volcano". The extra Con is always gonna be quite nice though

I only really like the idea of a water genasi druid themed around aquatic nature
>>
>>56818088
>Designing your character for the fluff
What are you, some kind of elf?
>>
>>56817744
For me it's those moments when the players solve an encounter they had no business solving in a truly absurd way. I feel like those are the greatest stories.
>>
>>56817994
It's not rocket science. And it is cheesy and forces people into using ridiculous hand crossbows if they want to optimize
>>
>>56818122
>Tfw Wizard
>Tfw Hypnotic Pattern and the m*rtials solve pretty much any encounter
Feels tres bien mon herr
>>
>>56818110
No, I design mine for the social intrigue and exploration.

Currently I'm playing a Mastermind rogue who will someday run the world from the shadows. He maintains three different identities in the Capitol right now as he sneaks and cheats his way into the don's good graces.
>>
Is Oath of Devotion a solid option for a GWF Paladin?
>>
>>56818137
>forces
nothing in this game forces you to do anything. sure hand xbow sharpshooter shenanigans seem silly, but the amount of people that actually want to do that shit is so fucking low compared to people who want to be a guy that shoots things with a big fuck off xbow all the time.
>>
>>56818087
>"Yeah okay but where's "the north" anyway?"
>>
>>56817945
So you don't see how one might take issue with full casters have 20 ac before spells?

>>56818027
>Being squishy and easier to hit without spells is main weakness
>Removing that is only a small benefit
Also if we're talking min maxers why are you not accounting for v.human?
>>
>>56818174
WHATRACE
H
A
T
R
A
C
E
>>
>>56818192
"Roll an intelligence check to recall relevant information."
>>
>>56818206
>Everything with Darkvision is meme-tier
>Variant Human is OP
What does that leave? Le halflings?
>>
>>56818211
Yuanti but by mutual agreement with the dam, no magic resistance.
>>
>>56818246
Playing FR? That sounds like an excellent character for Tomb of Annihilation.
>>
>>56818215
>2
>"Guess there's literally no way to find this place on our own! I have the Sage background so let's go to the library and research :)"
>>
>>56818088
Actually it wasn't purely for combat. I styled him as a dashing daring do romantic type. He was Oath of the Anchients, avowed to Sune. Worked to protect beauty and romance and all that jazz and hit on anything with a pulse because i pumped charisma. Even roleplayed him with a faux french accent when he was trying to impress somebody he just met.
It was super fun in and out of combat.
>>
>>56818275
See? That is an adventure all on its own.
>>
>>56818286
>Accents
Nobody in my group speaks in anything but their normal voice, how the hell do I tell when they're in character?
>>
>Orc Wizard
>Kobold Barbarian
What would fit this party?
>>
>>56818263
I don't think so. It's a custom setting.
>>
>>56818325
Drow cleric who specializes in light and daylight spells.
>>
>>56818295
>"Ah yes! I was wondering which would break first. Your spirit...
The player lifts you aloft, bending your spine backwards like a glowstick
>"...or your body?"
>>
>>56818186
I said if you want to optimize. But I clean it up by making CBE not work with Sharpshooter and PAM not work with GWM. Then there is a higher variety of optimized combos
>>
>>56818325
>A straight Elf
>>
>>56818206
>Taking v.human on a spellcaster
The benefits other races give are better than a spellcaster's feat, even if that feat is better than a secondary stat's ASI or even a primary stat's ASI.
V.human is powerful because it allows martials to take their compulsory feats earlier, but we're not really talking about martials here because if we were they wouldn't have an ASI free until even later with all the feats they want to collect.

Also, you can already choose to remove that weakness to the same extent by, say, taking the tough feat, which doesn't require a class ability that specifically allows you to use con for AC. Yes, the tough feat is probably slightly weaker than +1 con save +1hp/level and +1 AC but the point is you can already beef up your caster like that, even by taking a level dip into cleric.
Heck, yes, why are we talking about this when a minmaxer could just take a single level dip of forge cleric for 21 AC regardless of their con?
>>
>>56818313
The context of what they're saying? In my group I find we generally lock eyes with whomever we're speaking with quite intently to establish it's ic

I've also been in games where players would indicate they're speaking ooc by raising their hand with their fingers crossed or other signals like that.
>>
>>56818206
>So you don't see how one might take issue with full casters have 20 ac before spells?

I mean, Clerics can do that already right? A Dragon Sorcerer could do it.

The important part is that the AC isn't over what other characters can achieve. Stone Sorcerers are still going to get hit.
>>
>>56818393
Oh so you're removing the need for a feat to take away that weakness with just a class feature and disregarding the potential for new ways to abuse something because with the current tools it's not as favorable. That's why it's not abusable in any way shape or form in your opinion.
>>
>>56816329
A guy i play with multiclassed into whisper bard for that pseudo smite
>>
>Yuan-Ti Shadow Sorceror from a tropical area for max irony
>Hates cold because her body heat is insufficient
>Dresses in very heavy/concealing clothing
She needs a hobby. I was thinking picking up Gourmaund for baking but that seems a little too cliche. Historian for a bookish sorcerer?
>>
>>56818500
Yes and I don't think clerics should be able to but I can't do anything about that.
>>
>>56818370
Brother, I have been GMing for over a decade now, you need more than Rocky memes to break me.
>>
>>56818582
Entomology. There's lot of interesting bugs to be found in the jungle and elsewhere. It's a variation of just being plain bookish. Also kind of suits a scaley person, maybe they snack of them after studying them. That might be straying into more Lizardfolk personality however
>>
>>56818564
And give up the super disengage for your entire team?
>>
>>56818663
>Also fits a scaley person
That works really well, actually. I get what you mean, but that sounds like a lizardman assuming humans eat mice they study.
>>
>>56818674
Thats what he made. He seemed to have fun.
>>
>>56818721
Disgusting.
>>
>>56818794
Just because you don't know what fun is doesn't mean others can't have fun.
>>
>>56818811
No fun, only optimization.
>>
>>56818847
That's autism talk.
>>
>>56818874
Maybe if you actually played the game you'd know what I was saying is true you autistic retard.
>>
> half-elf player writes backstory
> includes that she has been the primary scribe for every government transaction for the last 60 year and has either written herself or reviewed every single transaction bill of lading pass court hearing public and private discussion within the government
> give her the DM no
> she just wrote to say that's fine. my character has been the primary scribe for every PUBLIC discussion, transaction, record, bill of lading, etc.
> I'm facepalming because despotic leaders don't have open document policies

seriously I'm wtfing a little. how do I explain this?
>>
>>56818897
Tell her to trade one of her nonweapon proficiencies with forgery. She either gets it or she doesn't.
>>
>>56818886
Maybe if you had actual friends and weren't so desperately lonely and autistic, you'd stop dribbling like a retard.
>>
>>56818929
this isn't about proficiency, it's about me revealing that the Grey Goose is more of a whorehouse than a tavern after the party is already ensnared and her going "my character would have known that!" she is insisting that 50 years of study and public record keeping let her know everything. It's a little maddening tbqh
>>
>>56818874
You realizing you're being messed with right?
>>
>>56818897
Ask her why the fuck she thinks that in an age of quill and paper, there's only one scribe that does any paperwork for 60 years over an entire kingdom. She'd be okay if she was only talking about a single city or a small hold, but implying that she handled literally EVERY piece of paper that ever was used in government business is laughable, and I would laugh at her fucking face for it. Even if you do give her the small landing, ask her how the fuck she's going to remember all that shit over 60 years. Does her character have the Keen Mind feat and 20 Int?
Also what fucking level are you starting at where she thinks she's entitled to that much political power?
>>
>>56819018
Just tell her they lied. Does she think everyone files taxes correctly or even honestly?
>>
Anyone got the Ruins of Mezro PDF?
>>
>>56819046
>there's only one scribe that does any paperwork for 60 years over an entire kingdom

there are 100s. they all REPORT to her and she has READ and REMEMBERS every single line item.

She's the player who brought a bunch of homebrew shit from the interweb like +4 to saves v. anything written and a magic pen and book that constantly write for her.

I don't mind saying NO as a DM, but this shit is getting tedious.

>>56819049
exactly but that's a reveal for game time. see the thing is the baron is a dirty guy and has a lot of skellingtons in his closet, which might wind up being THE MAIN QUEST!! so I can't really sit her down and explain that, look the ruler who is so adamant about records, passes, and everything else doesn't want an army of free scribes if they are dedicated to accuracy. he'd rather pay an army of his own people to cook the books, but if I do then THE PLOT!! is kind of ruined.

players suck
>>
If half-elves mature at the same rate as humans, does that mean they become old men at the same time and then spend more than half of their lives elderly?
>>
File: Hermes.png (100 KB, 216x376)
100 KB
100 KB PNG
>>56819120
>She's the player who brought a bunch of homebrew shit from the interweb like +4 to saves v. anything written and a magic pen and book that constantly write for her.
Pic related. That's fucking insane.
Okay, if it's a whorehouse but that's a secret, then they DON'T WRITE THAT DOWN because they're pretending to be another organization for govt purposes. Jesus Christ, you don't write down 'Oh and I'm also using my tip jars tip to launder money for the mob'.
>>
>>56819140
Maturation ends upon maturity. The idea is it stops when they're in their prime.
>>
>>56819120
>there are 100s. they all REPORT to her and she has READ and REMEMBERS every single line item.
I repeat myself, if she doesn't have 20 Int and the Keen Mind feat, as well as the Noble background, she can fuck right off. This is exactly like a Fighter writing in having his "great-grandpa's Vorpal Sword" into his backstory. Not only tell her no, tell her that what she's doing is both stupid and the mark of a bad player.
>>
>>56818562
>Oh so you're removing the need for a feat to take away that weakness with just a class feature
A class feature that requires you to use your ASIs to abuse it.
So, therefore, using feats is comparable.
>because with the current tools it's not as favorable.
The tough feat is only slightly less favourable, it is hardly that much worse. Considering you have to have a class feature dedicated to allowing you to take an option that's slightly better than the tough feat, it's acceptable.

It's an archetype-specific option that allows you to get tougher by raising a secondary stat, moreso than normal. So are you saying something like bladesinger, which allows you to get tougher by raising your primary stat, is bullshit? Because I would at least agree with that, fuck bladesinger.
>>
I've got a double-feature one off game this Saturday and I'd like to play a Fire Gensai. What are some good caster options for that?
>>
>>56812682
OP, I made a Ting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDZ08Kim_g
>>
>>56819452
>>56819452
>>56819452
>>
>>56813507
A sentient sunsword. We're playing out of the abyss
>>
>>56814573
Yes......
YES!!!
>>
>>56817690
Can you do GWM vs GWM+advantage vs GWM+adv+elven accuracy?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.