[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Obsidian Order Edition

Previous Thread: >>57152453

A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>https://wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP
>>
I never really liked these species swap episodes. I especially didn't care for it when DS9 basically did the exact same episode as the TNG one with Troi being a Romulan.
>>
>>57273220
>when DS9 basically did the exact same episode as the TNG one with Troi being a Romulan.
There’s really not many similarities between those 2 episodes beyond the lead actress in each case being done up in funny makeup.
>>
>>57273307
Of course but they're both predicated on the same plot device of their own self identity being put into question.
>>
>>57273355
The Troi episode isn’t. She’s made aware of the fact in the opening scene.
>>
>>57273413
>>57273355
The DS9 one is more like the kind of shit they used to do to Riker.

Must be a first officer privilege.

>>57273220
I never liked Klingon lore episodes. All that shitty singing.
>>
>>57272234
I think that Micheal could be an interesting character in a different context. As written the character doesn't work with the role given to her.
>>
>>57273220
It always bugged me that it was treated as a surgical thing rather than a makeup thing or projected disguise or anything more interesting.

At least in Orville they did it by the simple expedient of clothing, or using Issac's re-engineered holographic tech robbed from those more advanced red bastards. Where in Enterprise there was at least one time that the aliens of the week literally ripped off the prosthetics that were supposedly something that required surgery to sort out, in one of their many turns on being the idiots who needed a prime directive to tell them to not fuck up in the first place because they had a distinct lack of judgement without someone laying down rules.
>>
>>57274096
Not him, but any bad character could probably be salvaged by writers who are not hacks
>>
>>57274148
ENT regularly showed them using prosthetics though; it's been awhile since I watch ENT, but I'm pretty sure they had an in-universe makeup artist on the ship to help them blend in.
>>
>>57274707
I'm saying that Micheal as a character doesn't fit the show. She's the kind of character you'd expect to see in a novel focusing on something other than the "to boldly go" parts of Star Trek.
>>
>>57274780
Yeah, it’s most noticeable in “the communicator, where they’re coming up from an observation mission and the literally rip off the the prosthetics and rub away the makeup.
>>
>>57274148
>>57274848
Was it treated as a surgical thing in Enterprise?

I know in DS9 it was (for the Klingon mission) and in TNG (Riker's screwup away mission to the planet of 50s stereotypes), but did ENT specifically call it surgery?

I mean, you'd expect that the most qualified person to apply any sort of prosthetics - especially on Enterprise, where it was kind of surprising Phlox wasn't also the cook - would the ship's doctor, because they'd have an eye for the details of physiology, but that isn't necessarily the same as surgery. Did they ever explicitly refer to it that way?

>>57274096
I wasn't sure about the show as a whole until the first planet of the wisps episode, and then I was like "look at these chucklefucks". I get the feeling it'll grow into itself in the second half of the season.
>>
>>57275610
At least a couple of times, checking memory alpha;
>In 2151, Jonathan Archer, T'Pol, and Hoshi Sato were surgically modified to look like Akaalis while they investigated a mysterious disease. (ENT: "Civilization")
>>
File: 20180105_201817.jpg (1.78 MB, 2414x1440)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
I ran out of room in the card storage and have to use the top. Out of the 363 Premiere set cards, I am missing 62 (58 R, 4 U). That's more than I thought.

Tomorrow I will begin opening the starter decks. After opening all of those, I will go from 1408 to 2128 cards. If there's only a few I still don't own, I'll buy them directly. If not then I give up and move on from the Premiere set.
>>
>>57275844
Fucking hell, that’s a shit-ton of cards.
>>
>>57275743
Yeah but in dialogue I mean. MA is OK, but they have a tendency to make quiet assumptions despite their canon-only policy.
>>
File: Screenshot (491).png (1.19 MB, 1623x761)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB PNG
>>57276799
Like >>57274848 said. You do see Archer, Reed and Hoshi removing prosthetic forehead pieces after a mission to a pre-warp society.
>>
>>57275610
>I get the feeling it'll grow into itself in the second half of the season.
That's the thing, my first real Trek experience was DS9 so I have little patience for the "it gets better later" excuse. I put up with ENT for two and a half seasons for it to get good and at least there I had a smattering of good episodes to keep my interest. Even if it does grow into itself in the next half season STD will still be hamstrung by the absolute retarded way everyone goes about everything and, frankly, hideous design choices all around. And those are things you're not going to fix without a major retool.
>>
>>57277036
maybe they're so alpha they're tearing off the surgically grafted skin
>>
>>57277037
DS9's first two seasons are dogshit. I know they claimed later it was all building to the Dominion and the war but it clearly wasn't.

BSG - under the same guys - was pre-planned, and despite being a rambling, self-regarding piece of overambitious garbage, you can at least see that they didn't go full Lost from day 1. DS9 by comparison spends two seasons flailing around trying to prove it's TNG-but-different, then five more gradually building out the filler episodes as the Dominion idea becomes more coherent.
>>
>>57277065
Maybe if commander good-ol-boy was with them.
>>
>>57276651
Yea I don't know what I was thinking. Compulsively spent a lot of money.

Went through the first 4 of 12 decks: down to 57 (54 R, 3 U). Sheesh that's horrible. I got another pair of Riker and Soren but my girl Brahms remains MIA.
>>
>>57277760
I'm not talking about any arcs, DS9 has good episodes throughout the first two seasons. STD has an arc right out of the gate and it's shit.
>>
>>57277760
>DS9's first two seasons are dogshit.
Your taste is dogshit.
>>
>>57277904
I can see where he's coming from. The hallmarks of DS9 hadn't gelled yet.
>>
>>57277995
True, but the first two seasons were also pretty decent on their own. Not as good as later seasons but quite solid on their own.
>>
>>57277995
Maybe. I didn't like DS9 at first but I recognized its potential with Duet.
>>
>>57277995
Honestly, that's why I think the first two seasons as a whole are underrated. Everyone writes it off aside from Duet simply because we didn't have bald bearded yelling Sisko and his USS Pimp Hand fighting cloned space lizards or Wadi memeing.
>>
>>57278047
Glass lunch judge a bin to let it.
>>
>>57278126
...are you having a stroke, anon? That didn't really make any sense.
>>
>>57278138
All right. You can... cross barrels. All job appalled.
>>
Holy shit Alexander died
>>
>>57278577
Yeah the shittiest one.
>>
>>57278577
Oh shit, Worf's kid? Damn, dead at 33, that's only 4 years older than I am. That's... sobering.
>>
>>57278163

That's the one where they all wind up with aphasia due to a replicator trap right?
>>
>>57277875

Damn, son, are those just the base 1E set?

Hope you're in for a wild ride if you get your hands on other sets.
>>
Diverting power to emergency bump-field generators.
>>
>>57278665
Just don’t do loads of drugs and you should be fine.
>>
>>57278665
4 years younger than I am.
What did he die from?
>>
>>57282478
You’ve missed several crucial steps regarding the warp core and plasma coils.
>>
>>57278577
Which one?
>>
>>57283193
the very first (only played him in a single episode).
http://www.eonline.com/news/903969/star-trek-actor-jon-paul-steuer-dead-at-age-33
>>
>>57279107
Most are just base but I have others. I'm trying to get my friends into the game and I needed cards to build a bunch of starter decks. Plus I got really focused on completing my Premiere set. On Monday I will receive 30 booster packs of Mirror, Mirror.
>>
>>
File: 20180106_112120.jpg (1.51 MB, 1440x2100)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
All done with what I've got, 2128 cards. After the 30 Mirror, Mirror boosters come in, I'm done buying for a long time.

In the end I'm 49 R short of completing the Premiere set. I did end up getting an Enterprise but the cards I wanted the most (Dr Leah Brahms and Leah Brahms) remained out of reach. I am also now the proud owner of 17 Kle'egs.
>>
File: h3O3aCI.jpg (419 KB, 2500x1408)
419 KB
419 KB JPG
>>
>>57289246
>>57289246
This set is so fucking cheap.
>>
>>57289392
Isn't that kind of the point? A ship's mess isn't going to be fancy, it's going to be utilitarian and built by the lowest bidder.
>>
>>57289392
Good, it means they're being faithful to the source material.
>>
File: Ten_Forward_(overview).jpg (978 KB, 1456x1080)
978 KB
978 KB JPG
>>57289392
Cheap but practical and reasonably comfy. It's a dining room after all.
>>
>>57289392
A lot of the cheap look comes from the lighting. They went so far emulating TNG, they also lit the sets like it's a 90's network TV show.
>>
>>57289392
And yet it looks more lives in than the mess hall on Discovery.
>>
File: ring.jpg (80 KB, 736x552)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
U.S.S. Ophion back from holiday break. Games just ended. We Halo now. Got a distress signal from a ringworld.
At first we were unable to establish a lexicon with the universal translator and their insectoid language. My Vulcan PC setup a rudimentary telepathic link with their Queen sending pictures back and forth until the away team was able to translate their ideograms and use the periodic table of elements as a base to build a translation matrix.
Turns out they were a planted species brought to the Ring by its creators who are long gone now. They had developed basic warp engines so no PD infringing there.
The weather control system for the ring had broken and we were able to repair it using some eps conduits, making sure to let them watch us install them and infer how they worked themselves so as to not influence their development too much.
At the end the Queen suggested an exchange of personnel. So we took one of their engineers aboard and the nearby diplomatic convoy is going to dispatch a contingent to the ringworld to study the life and ancient tech there.
>>
File: ringdog.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>57293116
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-QPBqRoB0A&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>57293116
>They had developed basic warp engines so no PD infringing there.
Sorry to nitpick, but it should be noted that warp capability is not the only Prime Directive threshold, just the most obvious. As long as someone there was able to send out a distress call that indicated knowledge of extraterrestrial life they'd be in the clear.
>>
>>57293534
Thanks. They were definitely aware of life off the ringworld but were more content to focus inward than rush out to explore the galaxy.
>>
>>57293116
When do the ancient superweapons go haywire and eradicate all life for 1000 lightyears?
>>
>>57294534
Not on the Ophion's watch that's for sure. Chief Prag wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>57294534
When Gamma Shift fucks up, as per usual.
>>
>>57294619
>having a gamma shift
Ask me how I know you're a shit commander.
>>
>>57294631
Enterprise had a three shift rotation.
>>
>>57294631
>he doesn't have 4 shifts on his ship
Ask me how I know Starfleet never trusted you with anything larger than a Miranda
>>
>>57294666
>Picard and Sisko both had three shift rotations for most, if not all, of their careers
If it's good enough for Picard and Sisko, it's good enough for me.
>>
alpha, beta, GAMMA, delta.
>>57294697
Sisko eventually switched to a 4 duty shift rotation in order to give his staff more free time. But that's station life not aboard a ship.
>>
>>57294697
>>
>>57294697
Picard kept with four shifts and admitted it helped ship performance, and Sisko also switched to four and in fact had four for most of DS9.
>>
>>57294553
Surely there has to be something more to the ring world though. An interesting purpose or something you can follow up on.
>>
>>57296217
That seems reasonable. I mean, ringworlds are so ludicrously big that there has to be interesting stuff on there still.
>>
>>57296217
If it's impregnated with a superconductor lattice it can keep a ball of fusing plasma in the center and basically act as an enormous bussard ramjet.
Wait, is it a ringworld or a halo? This is important.
>>
File: SD0_BirdofPrey.jpg (129 KB, 550x300)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-eaglemosss-newest-ships

>get to see the ships without blurry shaky cam
>worse than i could possibly imagine
>>
>>57296318
Anon said ringworld, so I'm thinking a Niven-style one, shadowsquares, scrith, and all. If it's a Halo, then that's just lame. Those are weaksauce since they're so small.
>>
>>57296357
Jesus those are basically all horrible. What the fuck happened here. I only like the Hoover-class, the Nimitz-class, and the Cardenas-class. The Shepard-class is ok, I guess. Everything else is horrid.
>>
>>57296357
Fuck me that's some STO-tier designs. Jesus, people put money, effort and time into creating that giant pile of bollocks. There's about one vaguely passable ship there and it's the Shepard class.

I guess Eaglemoss is gonna have a bad year.
>>
>>57296357
The Magee class is so cute.
>>
>>57296217
>>57296280
>>57296318
>>57296358
It was not a niven style ringworld. There was nothing in the center. I used the light of the class a star in the system and positioning of the gas giant it orbits to create a day night cycle.
For sure there is more there to discover. We found glyphs of the progenitor race that built it but the natives had never translated them and could barely get by copying what little of the tech they could understand. But our mission unfortunately is to explore and chart not stay and turn over every rock. No doubt Deep Space Daedalus will send a team out to do in depth research into it. We were just responding to a distress call and have to get back to our charting course.
>>
>>57286342
>offer 50% the asking price for another card lot thinking I wouldn't get it
>he accepts
>have another ~1600 cards coming to me
the fuck is wrong with me
>>
>>57296318
>>57296358
GM here. It's Halo-sized and orbits a gas giant. I'm super original, I swear. I figured a full ringworld a la Niven would be way too much for the players to come across. As it is, the Halo-sized one is still a feat of megastructure engineering beyond any other species in the Alpha/Beta quadrant.
>>
>>57296357
All the Federation ships are serviceable, as well as the Bstlh-class, at least. The Bird of Prey and the Veqlargh-class could be saved somewhat by retexturing, but the Daspu" and Qugh are pretty fucked.
>>
>>57296357
Out of that entire line-up I only really like the Shenzou, the rest just doesn't feel right for me.
>>
>>57296357
Fed ships look mostly okay. Klinks look like complete dogshit.
>>
>>57296357
Edison looks like a Roomba, and Shran looks like Wall-E's head.

I do like Shenzou, though. Kerala and Yeager aren't too bad either.
>>
>>57294738
The last competant captain in Star Fleet.
>>
>>57273151

Someone needs to shoop Garek so he's behind Kira and fucking her. She's got a bad case of creepy o-face here.
>>
>>57296357
That BoP is just disgusting.
>>
File: lancaster-k7.jpg (47 KB, 697x338)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>
File: discovery_sizes.jpg (301 KB, 1094x1192)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
So, in addition to those images above, they also released the official sizes for a couple of the Discovery ships.

Shenzou is supposed to be almost twice the length of Miranda, almost the size of the Excelsior. And Discovery is the largest ship ever built by Starfleet (not counting JJTrek ships). That's about 150m longer than Sovereign.

Keeping in mind that the "flagship" of the TOS era was the Constitution with length of only under 300m.

I call bullshit.
>>
>>57304558
I just can't bring myself to care that they wanted to do overly large ships yet again.

It's not like they're good, characterful designs that really add to the world they're in rather than detract from what already was. Or if we assume alternate universe, fails to establish anything particularly interesting because it looks like someone just mashed standard chunky build ships into a vaguely 'trek aesthetic. Barring the Klingon shit, no idea wtf is going on there.

It's everything I don't like about the Vengeance from into darkness, multiplied and amplified in the case of Discovery and it's retarded spinning gimmick.
>>
>>57304866
Looking at the size of the windows, the actual ships aren't actually that big. Definitely smaller than what those stats say.

Someone shitty at math pulled out those size numbers out of his ass.
>>
>>57304975
Same happened with the Abramsverse ships. Enterprise is scaled to be like the original by the actual model details, it's just that shuttle-bay shot and word-of-god fucked it into being the size of an original xbox.
>>
>>57304993
Or that ridiculously huge engineering section.
>>
File: 1480364499607.jpg (1.54 MB, 1988x3056)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>57305019
Nah, that one's easy to explain. Humans are scary and their engineering is insane. The thing's bigger on the inside thanks to all the weird bullshit engineering does on a regular basis. Their laundry room is the size of a castle thanks to Lieutenant Gorm's experiments with HyperDetergent (that washes your clothes before they get dirty).
>>
>>57304558
If those stats are from front to the tips of the nacelles then it doesn't really mean anything, it's like how buildings stick massive antennas on top to boost their official height. Then you've got to consider the massive gaps in the Discovery's saucer section.
>>
>>57304866
Kelvin was a nice looking ship. Same as all the JJTrek Starfleet ships that ain’t the Enterprise or Vengeance.
>>
>>57306795
Yeah, the only one I didn't like was the double-secondary hull one, and really that was just because the twin full sized deflectors looked odd. Plus they looked really nice in Prelude to Axanar.
>>
>>57306902
>Prelude to Axanar
Axanar died for our sins. Well, for their sins really, but dammit it would have been great.
>>
>>57307094
The script for Axanar was released a while back. It wasn’t great. Great visuals, shit story.
>>
>>57307255
And all I wanted was the visuals, so that'd be fine for me.
>>
>>57307255
Was only looking forward to it for the ship porn too.

They made TOS style ships look pretty damn good.
>>
For those of you looking for an STA group here is a thread on Roll20 for one.
https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5920131/lfg-star-trek-adventures
>>
>>57278984
Yup. Loved that episode.
>>
>>57296357
I've made jokes about it before, only semi-seriously thought...

but now I can't even say its a joke, they really did use Perpetual STO concept art for their ships
>>
>>
Love the Challenger-class cameo in the background.
>>
>>57307255
I remember that. The director was going to be the ship captain, with his very own OC Donut Steel alien girlfriend. Shit was Trek novel tier.
>>
>>57296357
I see that Discovery is continuing the wonderful Ent custom of having ships that are so far off the TOS asthetic its not even funny...
>>
>>57296357
>Kerala
>not Gagarin
ONE FUCKING JOB
>>
>>57313511
ENT at least has an excuse for not looking like the TOS aesthetic, DIS is what happens when you're trying to create a new ST series and all you've got to go on are self-insert fanfics, a handful of ST novels from the 80s, and box of assorted 40k models.

>>57312688
What is it with fan films doing shit like that?
>>
So I'm up to the Visitor on my first DS9 viewing and I heard its a tearjerker. Will I need to watch this thing in private so people dont think I'm a little bitch?
>>
>>57313749
>What is it with fan films doing shit like that?
sturgeon's law
>>
>>57313749
That's an insult to 40k. At least they're consistent with their themes.
>>
Not going to lie, I really like the copper aztec plating on the Discovery. The overall layout and tech has a lot of issues, but that bit looks nice at least.

Are there any good images of a pre-refit Connie done up with aztec plating?
>>
>>57313871
It's a good, emotional, episode, but it has never made me cry. You should be fine, assuming you're a normal American male (i.e. emotionally repressed as fuck).
>>
>>57313749
It's fan fiction as wish fulfilment in general; much of fan fiction is about the author wanting to create a story they're a part of, rather than wanting to create a story they want to tell.

To write a decent story it's generally a good idea to avoid a self-insert character and even better is to make sure that what the story is about isn't just making X character look cool, but to have an idea of a thing that needs to be done, whether it's blowing up the moon or taking a fat shit.

For an example Star Trek V was mostly a Shatner self-insert version of Kirk having scenarios where he could be 'cool' (and a couple of moments for his friends), even if there was a vague concept at the core about some televangelist inspired dude finding god but it turning out to be the devil.
>>
>>57314004
It's weird. I like The Visitor and The Inner Light, but I never teared up watching them, maybe because I'd been hyped up on them before I got there. But I Crie Evrytiem I watch The Quickening.

Also, It's Only a Paper Moon, but we're not going to talk about that.
>>
>>57314185
The Inner Light gets me most times. It is just so damn powerful there at the end. The only DS9 episode that gets me is It's Only a Paper Moon, because I mean really. Nothing in VOY, ENT, or STD get me at all.
>>
>>57314185
On the other hand:

Listen- Benny Sisko has come unstuck in time
And me, I'm just left standing here too dumbstruck to rhyme
About what happened to my captain right in front of my eyes
What was a routine expedition ended in a rude surprise
So with out dad's mediation the Alpha quadrant situation
Undergoes deterioration and I have to leave the station
Where we're visited by the dead like we were orbiting Solaris
'Cause it's so swarming with Klingons it would stun Mr. Baris
And in one instant I see the futility of resistance
And I'm left watching DS9 diminish in the distance
Once the Klingons claim the station by the right of artillery
I'm sure that we'll get over it, as Norgay said to Hillary
And when I finally feel that I've put the past behind
Dad shows up behind the sofa and it come crashing back to mind
Then he's gone again, but the afterimage lingers
And the more I tighten my grip the more he slips between my fingers
So now I'm dropping english and picking up some science
Call in some favors to the crew and see if the Defiant's
Up to stopping dad slipping in and out of this phenomenon
Moving back and forth in time like an electron and a positron
I figured out we're tied together in a chrono-synclastic infundibulum
And sometimes that elastic snaps back toward equilibrium
Periodically like Haley's comet, reconverging like the Twain
And I've figured out when from subspace he's emerging once again
>>
>>57314223
We're reunited in supspace as father and son,
But dad seems upset with everthing that I've done
He thinks something stinks about my change of profession
Like a dikironium cloud that reeks of Captain Kirk's "Obsession"
Cared for what I lost more than the joy a wife could bring
Says if I ain't a got Korena, life don't mean a thing
One last time for everything, glad I had the opportunity
To tell one last story, now that I have you with me
Come tromping through the bayou in the middle of the night
Try to crack the riddle of how little I did write.
She's leavin' and I'm grieven over ties I have to sever
Wait until it's at its tightest, and then I cut the tether

I can spare those years of pain from a kid already lost his mom
I'm gone like tears in the rain and dad comes home like Major Tom
'Cause I didn't only do it for the sake of my dear dad
But also for the Jake I was to live the life I never had
>>
>>57314221
for some unearthly reason terra prime got me even though the baby was a stupid and utterly pointless plot device that offered no emotional investment beyond "cute baby". i think it was because john billingsley's acting at the end was decent
>>
Boss Bitch Terran Empire Tilly is the wildest *takes off glasses, lets down hair* moment I've seen in the while. Also, I never noticed that she was, like, one and a half Burnhams big.
>>
>>57314365
For me, it's not that the babby dye is sad, but that the characters are messed up. I always give Blalock crap for not being able to act like a Vulcan, but she nailed it those episodes. And of course there's Trip at the end.
>>57315224
Is this the real life?
>>
>>57315224
>Mirror Universe Burnham is the product of human experimentation trying to develop a way to destroy the Vulcans culturally who is kept around because her instability makes her a perfect fall guy for the schemes of her superiors
>Mirror Universe Tilly is an awkward but ruthless woman who used everyone's low opinion of her to outplay everyone and take command through blackmail, gaslighting, instigating power struggles, and good old fashioned murder
I mean, it has to exist in some better reality than ours.
>>
>>57316630
Tilly might represent a personal breakthrough moment where I realize that the Mirror Universe is the place where every paranoia and neurosis is actually entirely justified. Hence why characters entirely defined by them like Tilly seem to thrive there.

And now I'm thinking about how it's called the "Mirror" universe - after the object that's most responsible for human neurosis and paranoia.

I don't know what to feel anymore, frankly.
>>
>>57316767
lol you're overthinking it dude it's the mirror universe because the original ep was "Mirror Mirror," because everything was opposite except, for some reason, Spock.
>>
>>57316767
Your breakthrough moment is countered by Mirror Garak.
>>
>>57317127
>no neuroses or whatever
>incompetent
Checks out.
>>
>>57317159
Garak is paranoid as fuck though.
>>
>>57317277
Not in the mirror universe. In fact, his lack of paranoia is his undoing.
>>
>>57317291
Yeah, which is why it goes counter to anon's theory.
>>
If I have to give STD any sort of credit it's that the Terran Empire is fairly accurate to ENT and TOS. Even if it's way too soon to add them to the story. STD is still shit though don't get me wrong, but there is a glimmer of hope now.
>>
File: Worf,_2379.jpg (17 KB, 350x322)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>57315224
Is this supposed to be Star Trek?
>>
File: mirrordetmer.jpg (354 KB, 1920x1080)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
>>57317901
That new episode was fun as hell.

>Mirror Universe cheesiness
>Captain Tilly
>Actual respect to continuity with the Defiant plot
>The literal Doctor "twist"

Much better than the spore drive nonsense, and dull subtitled Klingon politics. It's not great, but definitely enjoyable.

And the mirror uniforms were sharp as fuck.
>>
>>57318009
>Mirror Universe cheesiness
>Captain Tilly
I'm reckoning that the rest of the season is gonna play out in the MU. Which I'm honestly okay with, because at least thins way they're not fucking up prime canon too hard. Plus they seem to have gotten the balance of evil and stupid right for the Terrans.
>Actual respect to continuity with the Defiant plot
One thing I noticed about that is it looks like they've done a redesign on the Constitution model. Probably not as extreme as what they've done to the D7, just a slightly more fluid shape.
>The literal Doctor "twist"
I chuckled

Empress Georgiou soon.
>>
>>57318892
Oh shit you're right they might make her Empress
>>
>>57319228
I hope they'll have at least some acknowledgment of Empress Sato.
>>
>>57317998
It's STD so no, not really. It's supposed to be BSG.
>>
>>57318009
Youtube clips when?

Or hell, webms when?
>>
>>57318009
>best redhead
>as senior officer
>with lines
>and an intact skull
Truly, we have found the best timeline
>>
>>57319607
And
>best uniform
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.21 MB, 1176x660)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB WEBM
>>57319390
Significant spoiler in this one
>>
>>57319858
Was mister necksnap someone i should know?
>>
>>57319905
It was the Chief Medic on the ship who was also Mr Magic Mushroom's boyfriend, I don't remember his name though.
>>
>>57319984
So nothing of import was lost?
>>
>>57319995
A character that appeared and spoke in most of the episodes. But yeah, basically.
>>
>>57319995
Is anyone in STD not simply disposable?
>>
>>57320384
Sarek
>>
>>57320384
Mikey probably will never die because protag powers. I just want her gone so Captain "Mad Cunt" Lorca can be the main character.
>>
inb4 the Lorca we all know and love has been the mirror Lorca the whole time. It would explain why he choked out Admiral Bootycall in that one episode. I know it doesn't make any sense but at least it's not as implausible as Tyler being Voq.
>>
>>57321461
I recall somebody pointing out the triangular scar on his back looks like it could have been inflicted by those hand held agonisers the Terrans used in Mirror Mirror
>>
>>57321461

Plot twist:
Typer is Prime Lorca
>>
>>57321533
Second plot twist: Voq was Doctor Culber
>>
File: MidseasonRebranding.webm (1.58 MB, 1280x638)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB WEBM
>>
>>57321571
So, did Terrans take over the ship or are they camoflaging themselves?
>>
>>57321771
The latter option. The real ISS Discovery is conversely in the prime universe. It’s like that Shattered Mirror game, only less(?) silly.
>>
>>57321771
They're blending in. That's why they made Tilly captain.

Also, I can't believe nobody's mentioned that the Mirror Discovery is flying around in the prime universe somewhere yet.
>>
>>
Mirror Discovery uniforms in STO when?
>>
>>57321964
The asymettry is killing me.
>>
>>57321964
Considering they added Discovery uniforms there, soon?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (33 KB, 427x538)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Mirror Emperor will be pretty cool.
>>
>>57321910
Aren't those just jazzed up Pain booths from the TOS episode?
>>
>>57323208
or from the ENT episode, where we can see Flox invent the things.
>>
File: Chekov Mirror.png (235 KB, 350x381)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>57323208
Dunno.
>>
>>57322053
It's supposed to evoke the image of a Sam Brown belt.
>>
The reversed earth in the Terran Symbol is the dumbest shit though.
>>
>the cutest grill has the worst personality
damnit kira why were you always such a cunt
>>
File: Terran Empire.jpg (199 KB, 1600x1200)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>57324891
It doesnt look reversed to me.
>>
>>57325270
Not on that one, or the Enterprise one. But the one in Discovery is reversed.
>>
>>57325379
Isn't that whole shot reversed? I could've sworn the badge was on the wrong side there.
>>
File: Screenshot (496).png (902 KB, 1434x641)
902 KB
902 KB PNG
>>57325486
Nope, that's the close up of the symbol right after it get's put on Tilly. You can see they wear it on the right instead of the left in >>57318009.
Here's the same reversed world symbol on the floor of the Discovery.
>>
File: iWKad22.jpg (97 KB, 1440x1080)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>57325379
>>57325818

Oh FFS.

Not even Enterprise was that hamfisted, written-by-a-12-year-old about it.
>>
>>57326113
And to think you thought STD could do something nuanced and not hackneyed as fuck. Who's laughing now?
>>
File: Megumin.png (755 KB, 767x720)
755 KB
755 KB PNG
>>57326220
Poster from earlier who was for a moment delightfully surprised by STD adding mirror universe.
Mmy hopes and dreams have been shattered again, shows me right for getting my hopes up even for a second.
>>
>>57326271
The actual execution in the episode was fine. This seems to be someone in the production department going overboard.
>>
>>57326271
I actually feel bad for you man, having hopes dashed is like the worst feeling in the world, but man, STD does not meet people halfway. It asks a whole hell of a lot and doesn't give shit back. Very disappointing.
>>
Why couldn't Discovery be a sequel series to Voyager, set something like twenty, fifty years after that? Nothing in the show - other than some weak callbacks like Sarek or Mudd - justifies it being a TOS prequel.

All the technology, the updated visuals, the plot about Klingon turning to a religious fanatic, the spore drive, the moral ambiguity, everything would be so much more sensible and straightforward if this was a thing set years after the Dominion War.

I don't get it.
>>
>>57326453
My guess is that the writers thought they would have to research the backstory less if they set it betwean Enterprise and TOS.
Have to watch only two shows instead of everything.
>>
>>57326220
Me. Because I am amazed that they did something I couldn't predict in terms of being retarded.

>>57326453
Because that would be expecting too much of an existing audience, and too much of a writing team not composed of people who actually wrote Voyager/DS9. Like it or not, reboots have been on the menu for Star Trek to avoid the bloat it gained since before Enterprise was even a thing.

Honestly, that it's a prequel/reboot wouldn't even matter if it were not shit. If it were decent in it's own right, I'd not even mind. As it is, the supposed prequel/reboot just adds insult to injury.
>>
>>57326491
>>57326543
Sure, but Discovery seems to be disinterested in any sort attachment to continuity. The Klingons are wildly different from both Enterprise and TOS, so is all the tech we've seen. It's just awkwardly being wedged between two different TV shows and doesn't resemble either one.

They could have set the show fifty years after Voyager and done the soft-reboot-we-do-what-we-want-with-this-franchise like they're doing now anyway. It's not like a modern cop show needs to constantly remind the audience the detailed history of 1960's. A fifty year gap between the old prime universe Trek and this would make everything a much easier sell than trying to convince everyone this is supposed to be after Enterprise and ten years before TOS.
>>
>>57326543
>>57326744
Even if you did a post-Voyager show, unless you intentionally set it right after Voyager ended there would be no need to directly reference DS9 or Voyager (and little need to reference Voyager anyways since it was more or less self-contained). It's been 17 real world years since Voyager ended; putting constant DS9/Voyager references in a new series would be like making a Vietnam War film where everyone talks about Korea.
>>
>>57326744
>>57326543
>>57327196
Whack that shit a century into the future. Set the majority of the show in the Galactic core, where there's been basically 0 exploration done and start your story from there. You can reference events back "at home" as you want and still have the opportunity to develop your own antagonists without any pre-existing biases going in to it.
>>
>>57273220
>>57274148
I always hate it when they take the fact that all the species in Star Trek look like humans with a little makeup and make it into a plot point. Normally I can just suspend my disbelief and treat it as something they have to do for the purpose of budget and dramatic expression, but when the story depends on the fact that any species can look like any other with a little rubber and grease paint, I can't do that anymore.
>>
>>57326453
They've written themselves into a corner with all the shit they've invented over the course of the TNG/DS9/Voyager era. It's been established that creating a sapient AI is as simple as leaving a hologram on for a few days, and there's really no reason not to have a fully-automated Starfleet. That, plus all the easy time travel and all the other shit they've pulled out of their asses over the past 50 years makes it really tempting to wind back the clock and put all those genies back in the bottle.
>>
File: 20180108_185231.jpg (1.64 MB, 2151x1440)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
It's time
>>
>>57327515
How much money have you sunk into this?
>>
>>57327557
Uh, like $125, with some stuff still on the way
>>
File: GPL floor.png (117 KB, 300x404)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>57327515
You know the drill.
One booster pack per picture or more.
Or just highlights or something, i dunno, i just want to see what you get!
>>
>>57327515
tell us whether mirror Kira is sqeaking when you move the card.
>>
>>57327475
I's argue it's fairly easy to come up with some reason that this tech isn't viable for mass dissemination to the fleet. Maybe sapient holograms have a really high failure rate. The sort of issue that the Doctor was faced with in "latent Image" nearly cause his program to decompile. Whereas an organic doctor would have handled that situation much better. They're still shaken by it, but Organics just have a much higher tolerance for stress and moral paradoxes.
And I think it's pretty clear that Starfleet shuts down time travel nonsense whenever they find out about it. The Bureau of Temporal Investigations are all about that.

Point is, with a little thought you can come up with passable reasons to banish all that tech to the realm of the Daystrom Institute. Best not to bring up most of it, even.
>>
File: 20180108_190407.jpg (2 MB, 2399x1440)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
Highlights of the first three 11 card packs (of 30). I didn't look up rarities but I have a feeling First Officer Spock is one.

Also, I've bought different packs and someone's collection and without fail the cards have some bend. I'll be weighing these down like the rest before storing.
>>
>>57327557
That's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.
>>
>>57327691
Oh man I so want to see Weyoun of Borg in alpha canon now. Jeffery Combs is the best.
>>
>>57327691
Any other ships?
>>
File: 20180108_191635.jpg (1.8 MB, 1440x2028)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>57327744
Yea but only generic ones.

I scored another First Officer Spock so maybe not rare. Balok looks cool though.
>>
>>57327837
Aww, but i wanna see more ships.
>>
File: 20180108_192614.jpg (1.59 MB, 1637x1440)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>57327701
This game is very cheap other than a few of the limited print runs such as The Motion Pictures (an auction ended today for around $360 for a booster box similar to this one. This one was only $18). You can print all cards without problem because it's fully community run now so the prices are driven down.

Look at the sexy Intendant. And I think I figured the warping out. Cards warp in cold weather and it's been below freezing/single digits and they've been sealed for 18+ years.

>>57327954
At the end I'll get all of them
>>
File: 20180108_193136.jpg (1.6 MB, 1643x1440)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
I think this is my first doorway.

I'm taking a break to eat.
>>
File: Admiral Leeta.png (930 KB, 722x740)
930 KB
930 KB PNG
>>57327970
>Commander Leeta
She sure has gone up in the world since TV.
>>
>>57327970
>The Intendant's card has a special rule based off the fact that she's a turboslut.
That's just fucking perfect.
>>
File: 20180108_194802.jpg (1.61 MB, 1440x1921)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
Uuuuuhuru
>>
>>57273151
GIVE Cardassian Nana NOW!
>>
File: 20180108_195711.jpg (1.52 MB, 1755x1440)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>
File: 20180108_200203.jpg (1.68 MB, 1792x1440)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>
>>57328545
>evasive maneuvers
Explains how she dodged Dukat in the universe.
>>
File: 20180108_200724.jpg (1.33 MB, 2340x1155)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
Last highlight before the ships. Got Nurse Chapel.

The rest of what I bought might not be here for another week when I'm out of country.
>>
File: 20180108_202105.jpg (3.7 MB, 3370x1960)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
Every unique ship part 1
>>
File: 20180108_202259.jpg (3.01 MB, 2733x1960)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
Part 2. Time to update my spreadsheet with all 330 new cards
>>
Good work anon, I actually want to see how the card game works now after it's reawakened memories of the early-mid '90s, as I think I played about one or two games when I was 10ish against an older relative and have a vague recollection of laying out cards, drawing missions and assigning personnel (this was when the game was brand new).
And that you could buy expansion packs in Blockbuster video of all places.
>>
>>57328982
>Blockbuster video
Woah, that takes me the fuck back right there. I still have a few N64 games from the old Blockbuster that was near my house, we just forgot to return them so they became mine. Episode 1 Racer was a great game, btw.
>>
>>57329033
I remember hearing that it was the one genuinely good thing to come out of the phantom menace.

I dunno though, I was already into PC gaming at the time.
>>
>>57329110
If you've got an N64, give it a shot. It's genuinely pretty good.
>>
>>57328982
You have more play experience than me. I started buying cards about a month ago after reading about it for a while and currently only have a small pool of my board game group who are willing to play with me. Unfortunately I don't think they'll stick; I'm the only big Trekfag but I figured these would be more for collecting. But if you or anyone else wants to help me make use of my cards and live near the Triangle, NC, we could play.
>>
>>57329033
>>57329110
>>57329142
I had it for PC, it was called podracer instead but it’s the exact same game. Great game altogether. The only race I never completed was the one on the sky map where you had to stay on the top track to have any shot at winning.
>>
>>57329159
Also I found out that Borg Weyoun is R+ (30% more rare than Rare)
>>
>>57329033
>>57329110
That game was so much fun.
>>
>>57329202
I was Captain Autismo back in the day and obsessively finished the entire game on the hardest and fastest settings because I could. I also tricked out a few podracers to be completely ludicrously fast, almost undriveably so.
>>
>>57329590
My problem was that I had gotten all the speed upgrades for just 1 podracer (Aldar Beedo 4 life) and was consequently dogshit in races where turning was a factor. You can brute-force nearly all of the tracks if you’re fast enough but those last 4 do need you to apply the breaks some times.
>>
>>57329657
Ben Quadrinaro forever. Just about as fast as possible and you can brute-force everything. I ever remember brute forcing the final cup by just being so blisteringly fast that I made enough of a gap to negate being so shit at braking. Still, in retrospect, I'd do it differently if I were to go back and play again.
>>
File: Ebe_Endocott.jpg (50 KB, 640x480)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>57329700
This blue motherfucker was my favorite.
>>
>>57327679
And it's not like going to the past fixes the problem of supertech anyway given that they introduced the spore drive in episode 3 of the new series. A technology that is, in fact, more problematic than most of what they'd have to hand wave away from the Voyager days. Not to mention now that however they handle the spore drive has to take into account that in future episodes it's treated as something that never existed.
>>
>>57329934
Shouldn't be that hard considering to get the spore drive to do anything useful you need to either torture a sentient animal that is capable of shrugging off phaser fire and disembowling people with ease or perform extensive genetic modification on a crew member and torture them.
>>
>>57330108
Not hard to explain why the Federation gave it up. Harder to explain why someone like the Romulans, who have been shown torturing other species to death using experimental tech, wouldn't have picked up the tech.
>>
>>57330179
Well of course the feds would have kept it out of their hands. The real question is why would Section 31 not be using it.
>>
>>57329934
>>57330179
Well, as of this latest episode they could do it like this:

Both starships Discovery get blown away by their opposing universe's Starfleet. Mushroom Man dies on the table without a doctor to care for him. Lorca, Burnham, and the gang steal the Mirror Shenzhou and take it back to the Prime universe. Prime Starfleet Intelligence slots the entire series into the "dear god what the fuck" file between Archer and Kirk and spends the next 150 years pretending it never happened. The final episode is Captain Julian Bashir reviewing the spore drive files and making it work with bioneural gel packs - no sapient sacrifice needed.
>>
>>57330300
I feel like Voyager missed out by never having an episode questioning whether the gel packs could be sentient.
>>
>>57330300
Yeah, it can be done, I'm not saying it can't. But it won't be done with any less effort than discarding all the Voyager tech would have taken, so any excuse about them needing to avoid all of that by going back in time is extremely weak.
>>
File: 1495901710227.png (93 KB, 210x237)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
What's the best courtroom episode in the franchise?

I mean besides Measure of a Man
>>
>>57330534
Measure of a Ma- oh. Uh, never mind then. Next best courtroom drama is probably one of the DS9 ones. I personally like Rules of Engagement.
>>
>>57330534
I have a soft spot for Court Martial.
>>
Out of the 131 unique Mirror, Mirror expansion set cards, I am only missing 23. Not bad after only one expansion box. I'm missing about the same percentage of Premiere cards after buying someone's small collection, twelve 60-card starters, and 36 15-card boosters.

>>57330534
Court Martial and Dax are the first ones to come to mind. The former is great; the latter is alright.
>>
>>57330348
There are egg beaters built in to each pack that scrambles the contents once a day.
>>
>>57329202
Goddamn did I hate that map, it's the only one I never finished on hardmode too.
>>
>>57329926
Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
>>
>>57304558

Shenzou looks nice. Discovery looks garbage scow. The only way to make it good is to kill the saucer and flip it over so it somewhat resembles the real D7 /K'tinga.
>>
>>57334058
I think the Discovery looks fine, just era inappropriate. Give it some curved lines and it'd look far more fitting.
>>
>>57334058
>>57334092
What really gets me is in the latest episode they throw up a model of the defiant and acknowledge that it's a constitution class then mention their defiant is supposed to be off in sector blah blah. This implies the constitution class looks the same as the 60's TOS connie.
>>
>nearly 200 episodes of ST left
Fuck me. Should I bother with the newer one? I'm gonna assume it's not good.
>>
>>57334311
I think it's one of those things where it could have been headed off with a little worldbuilding. Like the Discovery was designed by a different design bureau and has aesthetic differences because its designer was a Rigellian and they have a hardon for sleek, elongated designs or something.
>>
>>57334501
yeah I would have liked some thought put into it. The inconsistency just nags me. Like the Shenzou is said to be an older class ship and should have been decommissioned and Discovery is mentioned as being brand spanking new out of the drydock a few episodes later. But all the while there are classic connies floating around just off screen.
>>
>>57330348
That could be a plot point for that Connie that was still flying around in the Dominion War.

Huge amounts of data accumilated over centuries of service dumped into virgin artificial brains without any sapience suppressors installed due to the rushed nature of the upgrades. Given the insane processing power and the gel-packs nobody notices anything bar a notably longer than expected boot up, put down to the aging origional hardware of the Connie, as the newly born A.I. awakens screaming and confused.
>>
>>57335009
Honestly I'm glad Voyager never did that particular plot. It just reeks of that "Starfleet is a pack of morons" approach that drives way too many episodes.
>>
>>57335106
It still had it's holodeck episodes.

In fact it had a Holograms become sentient and sapient episode. One of the ones with the Irish village. So in effect it had the computer becoming alive with a slightly different skin.

Given the number of incidents holodecks are responsible for "Starfleet is a pack of morons" still applies as they keep putting them on the ships for recreation.
>>
>>57335127
I know, I'm saying that it'd be on par with a holodeck episode. Plus why even bother making the gel packs capable of sapience or sentience, or, if they are capable, why would they suddenly go strong AI? My cat is sentient and sapient and no matter how many tricks I teach him he'll never go SHODAN.
>>
>>57335127
I'm surprised no one posited the obvious solution to that problem: change the program so that no hologram can gain sentience but the ones that already have it, introduce breakpoints in case any of the villagers start figuring out what's going or the program starts spazzing out, then jettison the computer core into a tachyon nebula to run it all instantly. Retrieve computer core and you've let the Irish fuckers live out their lives without inconveniencing you.
>>
>>57335200
I have a better solution: quit running the holoprograms all the damn time. Most of the problems boil down to "I left the holodeck running for too long."
>>
>>57335219
Closing the gate after the cows have escaped, mang.
>>
Why bother with holodecks when you can create a team-building atmosphere with weekly events one of your ship’s lounges?

10-Forward, events list for the 2nd week of October, 2378. All events beginning from 18:00 hours, ship-time:

Monday: “Profits: The Aquisition” card game tournament. Please see cultural database for full list of approved decks.
Registered Attendees: 56
Additional Notes: Just because you can play “Golden Exchequer” doesn’t mean you should.

Tuesday: “Earth Music Recital”. Performed by “Lt. Keats and the Funk Generation.”
Registered Attendees: 12
Additional Notes: No free-form Jazz this time, we promise.

Wednesday: “Hamlet”. Performed by the entire senior staff.
Registered Attendees: 78
Additional Notes: its a shame that Earth only ever produced 1 playwright of note.

Thursday: “Traditional Orion Harvest Celebration Festival”. Led by Lt. Choma and Ensign Suzaay.
Resistered Attendees: 469
Additional Notes: due to popular demand, this event has been moved to the Main Shuttlebay. Maintenance Chief Hawthorn requests that all attendees be considerate of the Shuttlebay and its delicate equipment when applying lubricants.

Friday: Potluck. All species dietary requirements catered to.
Registered Attendees: 56
Additional Notes: As per standard procedure, medical staff will be present in the event of an emergency.
>>
>>57335967
Yeah, I'd still take a holodeck over any of those. Sorry, man.
>>
>>57335967
>Thursday: “Traditional Orion Harvest Celebration Festival”. Led by Lt. Choma and Ensign Suzaay.

Suzaay the Science Slut strikes again. Is there nothing the ultra-slut can't solve?
>>
>>57335967
>You will never be in a theatrical troupe in your spare time as a science officer aboard a star ship
>>
File: Mirror Kira having fun.jpg (41 KB, 1280x720)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>57328114
Personally I would have picked another picture of her for that card. Something like my picture, especially with that dagger to drive home that 2xTreachery bit.
>>
File: USS_Appalachia.jpg (131 KB, 760x487)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Where's the Command Division sourcebook, Modiphius?! I want my Steamrunner! REEEEEEE!
>>
>>57330534
The Drumhead
>>
>>57330534
I personally quite enjoy “Rules of Engagement”. But the whole courtroom drama shtick that American screenwriters seem to obsess over has always seemed like a shallow pool, narratively, to me.
Person is accused. Evidence for and against is submitted. The good guys look like they’ll lose. LAST MINUTE TWIST. Opposition are terribly embarrassed. Happy ending. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>57326453
Because, let's be honest, you can't expect a general audience to have seen every episode of three different shows from 20-30 years ago, which would be necessary to follow anything set during the TNG-Voyager era. Weirdos like us act like Voyager ended yesterday, not realizing the broader context and the reality that this stuff gets more and more niche and obscure with every passing year.
>>
>>57336981
So setting it after a show from 20 years ago is more obscure than setting it as a prequel to a show from more than 50 years ago? And I don't think anyone is advocating it being anywhere near as close to Voyager as it ended up being to TOS.
>>
>>57337024
Discovery is set before the original series, if you hadn't noticed. The only thing it's set after is Enterprise, which it generally pretends never happened even though it was the most recent TV series. L

And the things from TOS that Discovery does reference it gets completely wrong, so having seen it before is actually a detriment to understanding it.
>>
>>57336981
>>57336981
That argument hardly holds up when you can easily set your story a century after, as TNG did, and you buy yourself carte Blanche with regards to the political and technological state of the galaxy.
>>
Captain Killy 10/10, would crush rebellion for, again and again.
>>
>>57337605
You didn't understand a fucking thing I just said. Amazing.
>>
File: Homeworld.jpg (19 KB, 256x308)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Am I autistic for being sad taht they never did pic related: The Episode? It could have worked so well.

>Captain of the day is called in because the Not-Taiidan, while not part of the federation is asking for their help against star raiders
>Star raiders are the Not-Hiigarans, who all live on their ship after their relocation world was destroyed, by the Not-Taiidan.
>Not-Taiidan admit to this, in violation of a thousands of year old treaties that the Hiigarans violated about rebuilding warp capabilities, because last time they had warp travel, they lashed out and attacked everyone around them, wiping out several species
>Both sides completely serious about carrying on this blood feud from thousands of years ago.
>Watch the starfleet guys try to resolve it, or at least limit the collateral damage if they can't stop these two psychos from fighting again.
>>
>>57338372
It would have to be a multi-episode long story and in the end it probably wouldn't end in a way that star trek wants things to end, aka: diplomacy and reconciliation, but instead in bloodshed, conquest and/or genocide.
>>
>>57335967
>Thursday: “Traditional Orion Harvest Celebration Festival”. Led by Lt. Choma and Ensign Suzaay.

Too lewd.
>>
>>57338425
They could have set it in ENT S3 inside the Expanse and end it with Archer wiping out both sides with phaser spam.
>>
>>57327970
>Cards warp in cold weather and it's been below freezing/single digits and they've been sealed for 18+ years.

Put something heavy on them so they'll flatten as they adjust to the warmth of your house.
>>
>>57339193
They basically did that with 7th day adventists vs 6th day adventists.
>>
>>57337796
The parts that were the same would still require knowing all the backstory, and the parts that were different would just raise the question of why this is Star Trek at all. Any possible Star Trek series is stuck between the two horns of this dilemma. Which is why The Orville worked better than it had any right to, because it just gets to be a different thing with no baggage and no expectations for baggage.
>>
>>57339359
That’s absurd. All sequel shows within science fiction take the from first principles approach. Voyager and DS9 before it didn’t assume you had watched the previous series when they aired. They dropped you into a situation but then went to efforts to make sure that you understood the basic premise and all pertinent details from the extended storyline. You don’t need to have seen TNG to watch DS9. You don’t need to have watched TNG or DS9 to watch Voyager. Why would you suddenly need to have seen all 3 to watch a new Star Trek show set well after them?
>>
>>57339246
I packed them into my full card organizers. When I get home I'll see if that was enough.
>>
>>57339673
Was for
>>57339210
>>
>>57339453
>Why would you suddenly need to have seen all 3 to watch a new Star Trek show set well after them?
The usual assumption is that Starfleet can't just keep locking its miracles and doomsday weapons in the closet forever. Sooner or later much of that will make its way out to the rest of the fleet. If and when that happens, we're either looking at an Eclipse Phase style apocalypse spread out over the Alpha and Beta quadrants, shortly followed by everyone getting Borged, or the Federation "leveling up" to compete with super-species in the gap between their present selves and Q.
>First Federation
>Voth
>Iconians
>etc.
This in turn makes it hard for bargain basement hack TV writers to write stories, because 95% of the "man vs. environment" plots go poof.
>>
>>57339980
>Starfleet can't just keep locking its miracles and doomsday weapons in the closet forever
>an Eclipse Phase style apocalypse spread out over the Alpha and Beta quadrant
Oh look, an interesting storyline to follow. What's more, something that hasn't been properly explored in Star Trek already.
>>
>>57339673
let's hope so, would be a shame if those cards stayed warped.
>>
>>57305545
Yeah that Jukebox platter/pizza cutter just does not do the job. All of the new ships are hot garbage except maybe the Shenzou--but only because it looks so much like a Miranda and Akira.
>>
>>57341214
Just checked. Most are fine now, but there are a couple still bent. I'll put them between plexiglass with books on top.
>>
>>57342110
The Shenzhou's bridge under saucer design is at least innovative without being retarded.
>>
>>57333515
Just looked up some dude completing it. He's managing 1.15 around each lap. I now feel inadequate. Moreso than usual, that is.
>>
>>
>>57336740
In The Drumhead the good guy did lose. Crewman Secret Romulan had his career ruined.
>>
>>57346448
True, but that's minor in the larger scheme of the episode. The "evil" admiral gets ruined, the Enterprise and Picard are vindicated, and Worf learns a valuable lesson, all is well. Narratively, no one cares about Crewman Tarsis as can be seen from the fact that we never see him again after his bit in the middle of the episode and he doesn't even get a throwaway line at the end about his career, nothing.
>>
>>57339980
First Federation isn't in conflict with the Federation and we have no idea the extent of their technological superiority at the point of the end of the canon timeline. The Voth are on the other side of the galaxy and outside their transporter capabilities they didn't show anything that the Federation hadn't already been seen using. The Iconians are nothing more than "mysterious precursors" in canon.
>>
>>57346509
She wasn't an admiral. She was a judge or something. The only Admiral in the episode walks out when he realizes the entire trial is a shame of justice.
>>
>>57346612
Nope, she was a retired admiral, Admiral Norah Satie: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Norah_Satie

She is one of the classic examples of "Starfleet flag officers are retards".
>>
>>57346665
She's another example of Starfleet nepotism.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (1.54 MB, 480x303)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB GIF
>literal slot machine gear
In the 24th century, Star Trek Online is seen by Ferengi as an example of humanity on the verge of enlightenment.
>>
>>57347558
Fuck, when did that happen?
>>
>>57348617
They rolled it onto the test server so it should go live with the next major update.

I mean to be fair this is really nice that you can just re-roll mods instead of having to craft a completely brand new weapon if you didn't get the exact combo you wanted, it's just absolutely hilarious that it's literally a slot machine.
>>
>>57348705
I guess we can commend them for being up front about it. Might as well call a sheep a sheep.
>>
>>57346719
Wasn’t she a famous judge in her own right? I thought that’s why she was given the investigation.
>>
>>57338425
I dunno, A Taste of Armageddon did a fairly similar story in one episode, and managed to work in a pretty good Kirk speech to boot.
>>
>>57289392
Yao.... Nice B8 m8, r8 8/8, no deb8!
>>
>>57348705
inb4 it plays the "come to Quarks" jingle or makes dabo table noises
>>
>>57296704
It's still massive enough to be worth fighting a galactic war over, good thing it's apparently in uncontested territory of /ourguys/
For now amirite
>>
>>57351606
< PC here
The Romulans have been following our every move since we blew up their cloaked base upon entering the expanse. And then we went and built a deep space station on top of a T'kon installation right after.
They are going to be looking to get their hands on something. So far the Klingons haven't made any overt moves.
>>
>>57317300
Mirror Garak is the real Garak. Garak in the normal universe is a very competent spy because of his unusuallyrics high levels of paranoia, even for a spook, and even for an obsidian order one.
Being swapped out of his home dimension is also part of his nonspecific but strained childhood relations with his "father"
>>
>>57351702
Mirror universe characters are generally just an exaggeration of the traits that the prime version of that character finds distasteful. Mirror Garak is a prideful, stupid man. Traits that prim Garak can’t stand and regularly shits on other Cardassians for.
>>
>>57347558
Welp, there goes the Exchange market for customised weapons.
>>
>>57316767
Explain Mirror Vic Fontaine
>>
>>57354950
Vic was probably based off of some real person's appearance. Maybe the programmer.
>>
>>57354950
Dumb writers.
>>
>>57330534
Death Wish

because it's not just fucking talking and it adequately explains that at law there are the outcomes which are achievable and the outcomes which are desirable and they're often not the same thing
>>
>>57329202
>>57329590
>>57329657
>>57333515
>>57344223
There's a shitton of shortcuts on those maps, the big sky map in particular iirc - you just have to learn to fly your pod, take jumps, sometimes just stop following the track altogether and get the shortcut.

Because there's no time penalty to consider, you can easily drive around at low speed and find most of the snickets without the game ending. The ice levels have a couple of walls you have to bust through for example.

Great game though, still challenging.
>>
>>57316880
I believe you'll find he was called Spack
>>
>>57356810
No, he was Spöck.
>>
>>
Potential topic for the next thread: What's the easiest and/or most interesting way to make a Chief Medical Officer question whether to violate the Hippocratic Oath?
>>
>>57359615
Sapient killer parasite that's flirty with the doctor as it kills the first officer as part of its natural life cycle.
>>
>>57359615
>easiest

Be Janeway with any medical problem that a reasonable solution for would upset the status quo.
>>
>>57359968
So what you're saying is... bring back Tuvix?
>>
>>57360038
Janeway should have been charged with Murder for the Tuvix incident. There's no two ways about it, even if she did resurrect two other people, she willingly killed an innocent who was no threat to the continued operations of the ship or crew.
>>
>>57360071
Janeway is the worst war criminal in Federation history, she should be charged with a lot more than murder.
>>
>>57360071
The needs of the many outweigh needs of the few.
Tuvok and Neelix were many, Tuvix was few.
It was only logical.
>>
File: Jacarine Peel.png (410 KB, 720x547)
410 KB
410 KB PNG
>>57361017
>the worst war criminal in Federation history
You called?
>>
>>57361027
The needs of the many? Anything that shut Neelix up for good would fill the needs of the many.
>>
>>57361058
By comparison Ben Sisko was just a bit naughty. Also killing a high ranking diplomat in an "accident" to manipulate a lot of people in the direction you want is acceptable behavior for Romulans.
>>
NEW THREAD SISKOBROS

>>57361292
>>57361292
>>57361292
>>57361292

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.