[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1515803184523.png (667 KB, 3016x7820)
667 KB
667 KB PNG
>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
latest update-https://mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

What was your first class ever (in 5e or otherwise) and why?
>>
It was Bard, because I thought the new guy should play a support class because it would be easy.
I was wrong
>>
>>57422323
I don't remember because it was a party wipe and we didn't last long enough to make an impression.

Second was a cleric.
>>
Fighter cuz I figured it would be the easiest.
>>
Fighter. I wanted to Bard but the other guys were made up of a Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, and Wizard so the party needed something to be at the front taking hits.
>>
>>57422323
Barbarian.
It was easy to play, ok to roleplay, and really liked that most enemies would target me every single fucken round. Thank you Cedric, you dickhead.
>>
>>57422323
Cleric, started as one in Baldur's Gate, then my first PNP was a ranger. I still gravitate towards clerics when i play with new groups or in video games, its an appealing archetype for me.
Which may or may not be strange, being an atheist from a religious family
>>
I'm playing for the first time in 5e on Friday night. So far I've just been DMing.

Going with a Oath of the Ancients Paladin. I've only ever DM'd with this group I've been with since ~2011 so they haven't seen me play a paladin. Gonna blow their fucking minds.

Starting at 3rd level in a campaign set in our homebrew setting on a new continent that the DM has put together.

I've always loved paladins. Not in a DEUS LO VULT kind of way. It's hard to place it. I am also looking forward to roleplaying a paladin whose god is an ancient eagle that plucked out one of Lolth's eyeballs and devoured a tarrasque that had made its way onto the plane.
>>
/5eg/ I come to you in search of aid.

Is it normal for a new player to not want to play, but to DM? I really enjoy everything about D&D, from the mechanics to the setting. Ive been lurking fot years and actively read/watch on how to DM and how to have a strong campaign. But I don't want to play. I have tried playing and couldn't get into it. At times I thought more about what the DM was doing and how he could have improved or why he did certain things.

So I ask you, am I nuts? Do I need to have more hours under my belt to DM (I've never completed a campaign let alone leveled very far)? Or is this not the game for me?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>57422323

Cleric. Figured it would be good to be a healbot so I could cruise control and get a better sense of the game.
>>
>>57423137
Build a continent. Or two. Or five. Build a pantheon. Build kingdoms, empires, tribes and republics. Create constant threats and latent threats.

If you want to go for a test run, find a group to run LMoP or another 1st level campaign module. Or run your own simple campaign up to 5th level. Do those two things and you'll know if DMing and DnD is for you.
>>
>>57422323
>What was your first class ever (in 5e or otherwise) and why?
Fist class ever was a Bard, because I was a choir boy and they sounded pretty neat. Good lord that bard was retarded and put way too much stock in abilities that were both useless and uninteresting.
In homage to that, my first class in 5e was a Lore Bard who cast Light on his glove when he played, and was known by his stage name of "Goldenpalm."
>>
>>57423196

World building really tickles my fancy but I feel if I DM a homebrew too early I may not have my players be able to appreciate the depth because I'm not skilled enough in bring a DM to manage a good flow of story with the mechanics (and my first HB will probably be shit).

I think you are right about a premade campaign though, thank you for your help!
>>
>>57423239
When I first built my setting, it was pretty shit. My gods were generic and so were the kingdoms. That was fine. I learned. I changed my pantheon, changed the kingdoms and messed with the geography more.

It just takes practice. Nothing wrong with a homebrew that isn't stellar. Just tell your group when you go full homebrew setting, that if they lose interest in the setting, to let you know. That tells you when you need to make changes.

Communication is one of the most important aspects to DMing. If your players don't enjoy the campaign or setting, what's the point? But, you can't know that unless you ask them and they tell you.

Good luck, mate.
>>
>>57423196
>>57423267
Good DMing has zero to do with good worldbuilding. It's not a book, it's a fucking game, also the reason we call it a GM. Stop perpetuating this shitty philosophy
>>
>>57423267

Thank you anon. You leave me with much to ponder.
>>
>>57422323
First time we tried 5e I picked a moon druid because I liked the idea of a spellcaster that tanked damage via 'fuck you, i'm a bear'. I had no idea how bullshit the class was at the time.
>>
>>57422379
Same, in my experience party turns to me when interacting with NPCs.
>>
>>57423368
You can be a good DM without worldbuilding. But to be a great one, you have to learn to work outside of pre-existing settings. Forgotten Realms is fun for a campaign or two. Then Eberron and Greyhawk. But over and over and over? It gets old.

At some point, it becomes necessary to move into something new, something fresh. A great DM brings that to the table. It's not necessary but it helps.
>>
File: jester.jpg (92 KB, 618x746)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
What makes bards so good and bad at the same time?

Having a social character with the skills and abilities to support the role is great, but goddamn so many of the bard abilities and spells lend themselves to make lame jokes, near-constantly if the player is especially obnoxious about it.

I don't mind jokes but narrative dissonance is very bothersome to me.

Has anyone suffered an Elan or Scanlan in their groups? I had one guy in a group a few years ago playing a bard but he wasn't bad most of the time. Ever had the gravitas sucked out of a scene due to the bard being silly when using bardic inspiration, cutting words, vicious mockery, dissonant whispers, tasha's hideous laughter, otto's irresistible dance, etc.?

Fuck bards. I think I'll just have to rewrite some abilities and ban some spells. Even if the player isn't trying to be a goof some of this stuff just doesn't work when you want a grim and gritty scene.
>>
>>57423239
In the beginning, everything was vague. Worlds were built right in the middle of campaigns, with bullshit being spouted, recorded, and then refined.
There was actually an article in Freelance Traveller (entirely different game system, I know) talking about building a setting, which gave advice of (paraphrasing here)
>Build the general geography
>get some setting factions going
>create what primarily interests the players
>make stories from contradictions and stuff that doesn't make sense
It's a bit easier in Traveller, since the most of the rules in the book are toolboxes for creating inspiration for the explicitly sandbox nature of the game, but the same things apply to any game - and 5e has more stuff to help with that than I've seen outside of 2e (example: everything in Adventure Environments).

To this I add: involve the players. Instead of telling them what pantheons are available, and who the gods are, ask them to create the religion their character follows, maybe with some rough guidelines (Dwarves believe their ancestors are the intermediaries between them and the gods, Halflings worship with festivals partially focused the hero(s) who discovered the proper rituals of that god , Elves believe in a Heavenly Bureaucracy, etc). Let them create their home town, or areas that their character has heard of (and then use that as just the rumors the character has heard, determining truth and lie as you see fit; just let them know that's what the plan is), just get them invested in helping create the world, both ingame and out. Hell, me and my ex-roommate created two pretty interesting religions for a homebrew pathfinder game, including points where traditions had crossed over, and where they had friction.
Don't be afraid to start generic ("It's a monarchy expanding into lands claimed during the last war, and you're exploring this mostly unsurveyed area") and then get specific as the details need to be expanded.
>>
>>57423424
continuing because character limit:
You don't need to create everything now - just what you need. By the same token, don't throw cool ideas away just because the players aren't interested right now. Put them in a different area, and maybe drop a few rumors.
For that matter, if the group is moving to a new area, ask the players for rumors their characters have heard about the area. Then determine (secretly!) lies and truth in the rumors.
Investing the players in the world with more than a "cool story bro" is worth it - it helps give a sense of accomplishment and pride when they look at what they helped create.
And offloading some of the worldbuilding onto the players helps you have more time to prepare materials. Additionally, some of that stuff can come out of left field and can be totally awesome, making you go "why didn't I think of that?"
>>
>>57422323
Starter kit sword and board fighter. Death by bugbear crit.
>>
>>57423480
I second rumors. Rumors turn out to be some of the few pieces of information players grasp onto well because they are self contained:

"I heard the iron road bandits are..."
"The sunken city of N'goth has..."
"A ship with no crew in the freezing south seas..."
"A local farm has experienced things of an abominable nature..."

Rumors can be an endless source of delight and mystery; sometimes they even hold truly terrifying things.
>>
>>57422323
Sorcerer, because I wanted to play a "muscle wizard" and my DM helped me pick appropriate spells.
Turned out I was not built well enough for that, because as it was my first ever experience with 5e and dungeons and dragons in general, my stat spread was absolutely horrid.
Still, was my most fun character that I've ever played, and was quite the unique experience for me, as well as the DM and players.
>>
File: 1506192137404.jpg (114 KB, 826x1024)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
So there was a discussion in previous thread about not allowing wizards easy access to new spells beyond the standard 2 per level.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but the question is why? Do wizards hate sharing knowledge? Do they hate making a profit from someone else wanting to copy their spells? Do they not have masters and apprentices? Perhaps even wizard factions or wizard schools where they can do the latest magical research?

What in-game reason is there in a setting for wizards to distrust each other?
>>
Tiefling Bard premade. An unsettling fucker with a criminal background that plays a flute.
>>
What are your thoughts on the Bard college of Whispers and how does it compare to the college of Lore?
>>
>>57423587
A wizard, of all people, is most aware of how utterly fucking dangerous someone could become with the right combination of spells. You don't want to go down as the dickhead who gave someone the last spell they needed to cast Locate City Stone to Flesh
>>
>>57422323
2nd advanced. I had no fucking clue what i was doing got roped into playing a few hours before there campaign started. Rolled well. The DM (who was a masterful DM btw hes the DM i aim to be when ever im behind the screen.) Was like make a paladin with dem roles son. So i did. High as fuck charisma. Group makes me the face man. No idea wtf im doing at all and suck ass at it. Die that same session to a necromancer fuck. Towards end of the fight he summons my corpse as a zombie and killed half the party. DM had me roll for hes attacks and voice my input on now to murder them. Needless to so i was hooked. Been playing TTRPGs ever since.
>>
>>57423587
In a magic-distrustful setting it could be that certain spells or schools of magic are restricted, banned, or viewed with suspicion. Look at necromancy, or those XGE spells that involve demon and devil summoning. Someone seeing that in your book, especially a wizard, may lead to questions...

From a purely mechanical standpoint allowing easy access to other spells makes you have the issue where the wizard has a spell, or convoluted sequence of spells, for EVERY problem. It can get old fast if every solution boils down to "let the wizard handle it." I personally experienced this recently in a game I played where the wizard simultaneously trivialized most travel and various issues due through leomunds, fabricate, phantom steed, Ginvis and invis, suggestion/charms, fly, and polymorph not to mention other spells...

And that's the whole problem really. The wizard has many tools, and works through using those tools. Giving more tools on the cheap can remove things from the game.
>>
>>57423489
>Death by bugbear crit.
Thats how the best of warriors go out anon.
>>
>>57422323
Sorcerer.
I saw the potential to reflavor lightning damage attacks as lasers as a Blue Dragon Ancestry one.
Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize there are ZERO FUCKING LIGHTNING DAMAGE SPELLS but that campaign only lasted two sessions in the end anyhow.

After that I tried a barbarian and I have never touched a non-cleric full caster again, and I've only played one cleric. If it's not a Fighter that I play, it's probably a Warlock.
sweet fuck Brute is fun
>>
>>57422323
Sorcerer. It was the closest fit for a character I was trying to play.

>>57423587
Don't give spells to strangers who ask for it.
To obtain spells, you should get friendly with a person, such as doing a quest for them. I wouldn't offer doing the quest solely for new spells, but it's a nice boon that you have a new contact.
>>
>>57423587
It's mostly to nerf them.
I have a completely different set of nerfs that I want to test out (But I don't have a game group experienced enough with 5e to actually test them, so /tg/ it is).

Spellcasting is a full round action - you cannot perform any other action, including movement, nor can you use a bonus action or reaction. You do not lose your dexterity bonus to AC for spellcasting, as you can still move enough to dodge enemy attacks. Taking damage, gaining the Incapacitated condition, or dying, while casting a spell follows the same rules as concentrating on a spell.
Spellcasting takes a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell slot being used, or their listed casting time, which ever is longer. Cantrips are an exception to both above rules, taking only a single action to cast.

Optional Bit: Spellcasting can be risky to the caster. Each time you cast a spell, or have your concentration on a spell forcibly ended (by taking damage, becoming incapacitated, or dying), make an immediate Spell Control roll, using the modifier of your spellcasting ability, and your proficiency bonus, vs a DC of 14+the level of the spell slot used (SSL - Spell Slot Level). Success means the spell was cast correctly, or didn't fizz out catastrophically. Failure means the spell failed to cast correctly or the loss of control created a dangerous outburst of power. Failure by less than 5: caster takes 1xSSL in damage. Failure by more than 5, but less than 10: Caster takes SSLd4 damage, all creatures within SSLx10ft take 1xSSL damage. Failure by more than 10: Caster takes SSLd6 damage, creatures within SSLx10ft takes SSLd4 damage, and creatures within SSLx20ft take 1xSSL damage (cumulative with the previous).

Note on the DC: yes, I know that a properly optimized 1st level character only has to roll an 8 or higher to succeed. THis also means they have a 40% chance of failure. I might increase the DC, depending on what you guys have to say.
>>
My DM claims that after finishing your last attack, you can't move any more even if you have movement left. Assure me of whether or not he's being retarded and help me convince him he is.
>>
>>57423883
>'don't worry guys, I'll cast a fireball to help win this encounter'
>the martials have killed everybody in the three rounds of chanting the wizard did
Sounds great if you want people to not play casters
>>
>>57423899
I mean, at the very least I see no rule saying that and he just made it up on the spot.
>>
>>57423883
>Spellcasting is a full round action
Without considering the other things this is already a significant nerf. Action economy is incredibly precious in this version and being able to move well to position or cast and move back is already a significant part of most casters .

I suspect you will have many casters simply die due to having no movement, or only cast from cover, or only cast from an intelligent mount or some other contrivance.

Spellcasting taking multiple rounds based on slot simply slaughters warlock not to mention the other casters...
>>
File: 1510437927393.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>57423883
Even if you haven't specified concentration a spell of longer cast time than one action always uses concentration
So now you can never cast more than one spell per combat
.. And most spells can't be cast in combat at all as combat only lasts 1, 2, 3 or 4 rounds usually.
>Optionally, you can also make the caster FUCKING DIE when he tries to cast in combat, not as if he can anyway!

This is hilariously bad, but I can understand that it doesn't make casters absolutely useless as warlocks, clerics, wizards and druids can all focus on out of combat utility while druids can use wild shape as well. Sorcerers are just plain fucked.
>>
>>57423883
>finally slog through casting haste on the fighter
>roll poorly on spell control
>punch entire party in the dick for damage
>interrupt other caster's concentration
>he explodes too
Everything about that optional bit is retarded. Just ban casters, jesus christ
>>
File: movement rules.jpg (38 KB, 300x219)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>57423899
He's wrong. PHB page 190.
>>
>>57423930
I must agree with you. If he intends to go this far into the nerf pit he might as well just do a no full casters game.
>>
>>57423926
>>57423883
Oh, here's some bonus points
>Enemy tries to attack you!
>Hahaha, watch this!
>Casts shield
>Has to wait until next turn to finish casting it
>Take the hit, obviously
>Lose the shield
>Take extra damage because you lost the spell

>Try to cast lesser restoration to un-paralyze a teammate
>Start casting it
>They become unparalyzed long before you finish casting

>Enemy starts 9 turns to cast 'INEVITABLE DOOM'
>You try to counterspell it with a level 9 spell slot
>You spend 9 turns counterspelling 'INEVITABLE DOOM'
>Two casters are just standing there chanting at each other to outdo the other
>But inevitable doom always finishes casting first because they started first
>Everyone dies, unless you have a kobold in the combat and the kobold lightly nudges the spellcasters, in which case likely the kobold kills everyone.
>>
I'm going to be DM for the first time soon, and I've been thinking of making some tokens or paper miniatures. On one of the /t/ threads about 5ed I found tokens with pictures from various places, it doesn't look perfect, but I guess that would suffice. When using tokens, do you lay them flat on the battlegrid or you buy/make stands? I understand for paper miniatures you fold them and put a coin on the bottom for stability.

Do you guys have any more resources for that?

There is also something like that that I found
>drive google com/drive/folders/0B9wKLjixK7DHd3pMZk92Z2xhdVk
Does anyone have a full pack of that? I might actually Parteon that guy for some time and get that here, if no one did that before.

Also a questions:
1) Damage output for basic attack doesn't change unless you change a weapon or increase strength or dexterity?
2) Can Druid change his spells during rest or only can he change the spell list? Say, Druid picked 1st lvl Spells "Cure Wounds" and "Fog Cloud". He can use them 3 times (because 1lvl + Wisdom mod, in my case 2). I decided to be able to cast 2x Cure Wounds and 1x Fog Cloud, after a rest can I only change the list (i.e. 3x Fog Cloud) or can I ditch Fog Cloud and pick something else i.e.Detect Magic
>>
>>57423883
I also have a final bit: Martial Damage Bonus.
Base concept is simple: cantrips scale with level, why don't weapons? If you do not have access to cantrips, you have MDB. For the Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue, you begin with 1d6, added to every single attack. At 3rd level for Barbarians, Fighters, and Rogues, if your chosen archetype does not have access to spell casting, your MDB increases in size to 1d8. Otherwise, it remains 1d6.
At 5th, 11th, and 17th level, your MDB increases by 1 die of damage, up to 4d6 or 4d8.
>>
>>57423945
Have you tried reading how druid spellcasting works?
>>
>>57423956
Yes, but me Englando no perfecto, and I have my doubts.
>>
>>57423969
Druids pick level + wisdom mod spells from their entire list to have prepared. That number is entirely separate from their slots, which can be used to cast any spell the druid has prepared of that level or lower.
>>
>>57423945
1) Some classes like rogue (sneak attack) and monk (martial arts) change their damage by adding more dice or changing the die size. In general though what you are saying is correct. Though notably the barbarian gains flat damage on melee attacks while raging.

2) You have spells prepared and you have slots. If you had 3 1st level slots you could cast any first level spell you had prepared out of them.

Your prepared spells are a menu that you swap in and out on that class when you take a long rest. Your slots are what you expend to actually cast spells off the menu.

Druids can pick from the entire druid spell list that they have access to at their level + at higher levels they have always prepared spells from their circle in some cases.
>>
>>57423954
It's not the damage what martials are lacking but the utility department.
>>
File: 1507606329145.jpg (25 KB, 500x397)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>57423954
>You deal up to 4d8 extra damage with every attack as a fighter
>When you can already make 10 attacks in a round twice per short rest
>This is on top of the fact that casters are heavily nerfed

The funny thing is that wizards are STILL broken at the highest levels, even after all this bait.
But please, please, please tell me this is a troll. Please.
>>
After learning about ttrpg i read up on dnd 5e and taught myself the game, bought the corebooks etc. I then surprised my 4 closest friends who all grew up playing CRPGs with a session of dnd. It wasnt perfect, but we fucking loved it. I created their characters, they just picked stats and skills.

After a few sessions they unanimously agreed that we should play " dnd without class restrictions.. like you know, real rpg"

They never touched the phb or anything, they are great roleplayers and friends but this hurts me. Should i force the phb down their throat or look for another game system?

Help me please
>>
File: 1515892883084.jpg (39 KB, 1024x683)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>57423954
>>
>>57424009
Try to get them to create their own characters and see what they say. Class restrictions are serious balance issues in DnD 5e and I don't think the system could actually survive people being able to choose ala carte from the classes to make a character with no restrictions.
>>
>>57424009
Look for another game system.
>>
>>57423977
Thanks, now it makes sense. I will try to read more carefully now, I was a little biased because I've been helping create another spellcasting character for another player.
>>
>>57423954
Kids, this is exactly why you shouldn't homebrew if you don't know the system.

>cantrips scale with level, why don't weapons?
Because fighters get Extra Attack, motherfucker.
>>
>>57423954
They don't have damage scaling the same reason why Eldritch Blast doesn't. They get multiple chances to hit, which means it's not as "all or nothing", and multiple chances to crit, as well. Also, with the exception of Agonizing Blast and higher-levelled Evo Wizards
(assuming you use an Evocation cantrip)/Cleric cantrips don't deal flat damage too.
Come on. Multiple chances to do 4d8 (with possibly even more with maneuvers/rage/hunter's mark and all that) at point blank is more than a little silly.
At least this is my admittedly-not-that-educated view.
>>
>>57423903
>>57423922
>>57423926
>>57423930
>>57423940
Exactly the feedback I needed. I'm working towards a grittier variant of 5e, mostly to see how far I can bend the system away from high-octane heroic fantasy before it breaks.
So, focusing on the action economy (and dropping the spell boom), let's say
>A spell takes a number of actions equal to its level to cast, unless the listed casting time is longer, or uses a reaction or bonus action
>A move action may be used on casting a spell
>Casting a spell does not break concentration, unless the spell you are casting requires concentration.
Overall, I kind of want casters to be the long way around something, not the uber-utility shortcut, combined with a combat attitude of "nuke delivery system, setting up..."

>>57423998
>>57424015
>>57424076
>>57424088
Since I mostly play casters, I tend to miss what martials get (and all my recent games have been 3.PF with a min-maxing roleplayer. Not a good combo).
Nice to know I can drop the bonus damage for fighters. What about the other martials, in your opinions?
>>
>>57424009
What kind of class restrictions are you even talking about here.

Also do tell them that if they wanna play dnd they should at least skim a pdf of the PHB.
>>
>>57424009
Yeah, I tried doing this to with 3.5 and at least it a frame work that you could pull apart and it was still a total clusterfuck. DnD is what it is, you try and fix it and you just end up with either a mess or a whole new system. Just buy GURPS, or HERO system if you want classless point build
>>
>>57422323
Warlock because a pact with an eldritch god seemed awesome. I got killed off in the second session because my DM said that doing an eldrich god voice was too hard
>>
>>57423489
>>57423769
>4d8+strength with a possible additional 2d6

A terrifying prospect.
>>
>>57424106
>What about the other martials, in your opinions?
Just read the fucking book before trying to hack the system. Really. And then, preferably, get few games in it.

Martials are fine in combat, they need utility. It is difficult to give someone utility, when they are limited by normal human constraints compared to people who are not.
>>
>>57424026
They come up with concepts for characters really good and uniquely, but they dont know and dont want to know how to fill out a char sheet.

Yes, one of them is now dm ing a classless "dnd" game where you can learn x abilities from any class if you find someone willing to train you. Its great for RP but the balance is horrible.
>>
>>57424106
Everything but Rogues get Extra Attack and extra goodies like Barbs' reckless attacks, rage, and brutal criticals, or Paladins with smites, and technically other spells but most Pallys save them for smites. Rogues get Sneak Attack dice (which by the way is once per turn, which means it would proc on opportunity attacks, too), Monks get to impose saves and Flurry of Blows.
Monks are kinda lacking early on, but assuming you use Revised Ranger, they all bring plenty to the table if you're worried about them not dealing damage.
>>57424147
Why the fuck did your DM assume that the eldritch entity would be constantly ringing you up like a clingy and overprotective parent?
>>
>>57424106
The extra action could be tier based, spells of level 1-3 take 1 action, 4-6 2, 7-9 3, but most likely that will just lead to level 4+ spells almost never getting cast with higher slots just used to overcast low level spells. Because that's kind of like what happens in rifts, if a spell take more than one action to cast, you just don't bother. It'll just make mages boring. Scrap it, burn it, never look at it again.
>>
>>57423994
What sort of utility abilities might be added to martials to help out with that?
>>
>>57422323
dwarf barbarian, because i was new to the game and wanted something fairly easy
unfortunately that campaign was fucking terrible and was mercy killed
>>
>>57424164
He only did the voice once and that was to tell me that I was weak and then the god killed me. It was the middle of the session as well so it bummed me out to watch everyone else play without me.
>>
>>57424208
Well your DM is shit, that much is certain. Completely uncalled for PC kill and dick move to the player
>>
>>57424163
There are various tools that exist, one being an excel sheet tool called forgedanvil, that allows you to just select stats and options and it does all the calculations and makes a summary for you. It also tells you/indicates when you need to pick another skill, or another language and it has fields and custom entries for adjustments. It's a bit of a slog the first time but pretty much anyone doing it in order can make a working character and then have a single page summary of the basics.

It does sound like a fundamental difference of how an RPG should be run to be honest. I'm not certain any tool or knowledge of the game can fix that. 5E went out of it's way to attempt significant balance changes over previous editions and a big part of that balance is that certain features are locked behind a specific class.

From a purely game/game running perspective as long as access to the better features was restricted or required quests or faction alignment (IE to get paladin skills you had to work for an order or a church and also pay) I feel that it could be done. I'm just not certain how well. You could even sell this as RP and a RP experience. Would demon hunters train someone who doesn't work for them who isn't a friend? Probably not. Significant issues would be things like stat requirements and HP. You would probably need to nuke stat requirements for "multiclassing" and HP would need to be racial or completely based off CON. I can foresee how this could be done overall but it is such a major departure from 5E I can't imagine it would play like 5E in any respect.
>>
>Tfw realized I was turning the party's sorcerer into the "main character"
>Party needs to go rescue him
I need to talk with the Sorcerer's player so I can prevent this from becoming a "we're just the supporting cast" scenario. Fuck, it's such a rookie mistake too.
>>
>>57424216
Yeah the rest of the party and I left halfway through the next session when he said the cleric's god abandoned them for burying my pc and that they were now a fighter
>>
>>57424106
Well, your best bet is to try a different system or just play without the caster classes / require that the caster classes be multiclassed at an equal rate.

Seriously, you shouldn't be trying to do an overhaul of 5e that rebalances rather than just makes players play more suited shit when you don't know the system at all. Even the guys who have messed with 5e for years struggle with that sort of thing.
>>
>>57424253
>he said the cleric's god abandoned them

I'm sorry what. His god abandoned him for performing a burial and presumably last rites on a character who is perhaps the most LIKELY TO DO THAT AS A PROFESSION?

Whatta fink.
>>
>>57424228
This happened to me not long ago - except I was the sorcerer.

But to be fair, I'm the most veteran player at our table, so I had the most complete backstory and decently fleshed out character to work with.
>>
>>57424168
Sorry, should've been actions equal to the level of the spell slot used to cast it, unless the spell's description lists a longer casting time, or a casting time of a reaction or bonus action.
So eventually, you run out of low level spell slots, or you need the tac nuke option. Or everybody takes a rest when the caster runs out of 1 action options.
>>57424154
I'm hoping like hell that this upcoming game doesn't crash before the first session (it's usually me, I'm the one that burned out on D&D thanks to the ex-roommate, and nobody wants to play my preferred system).
I do remember that way back when the basic rules were released, I was able to grasp the non-class based mechanics quick enough to expand proficiencies:
1 skill or 2 tools or 2 languages at Proficiency -1 (so +1 for a 1st level character). Languages had to be roll against DC10 for simple conversations, DC scaled with how complex you were trying for, being fully proficient removed that roll.
2 skills, or 3 tools, or 3 languages at Proficiency -2 (so 0 for a 1st level character, +3 for a 20th).
Unfortunately, I seem helpless when it comes to fully grasping class and level based systems.

Or I just abandon D&D for good and hope my ladies don't tear me apart for yet again not wanting to play D&D, and go back to Traveller.
>>
>>57424279
Gavin, if that's you, you better just shut yer trap.

But yeah, it's the same situation - he's a writer and had the most fleshed out backstory, so I'm working with parts of his story before anyone else's. Once the party rescues him (or you, if you are him), I'm going to shift the spotlight off of him.
>>
>>57424264
Yeah the god the cleric was following was specifically one associated with the passage to the afterlife. Apparently my character's soul was pure evil and didn't deserve a burial
>>
>>57424312

>pure evil didn't deserve a burial
>not burying the evil soul so it doesn't get eternal punishment is somehow a better alternative

It keeps getting better.
>>
>>57424338
>>57424312

Few good aligned gods would be that happy about letting an ally's corpse rot even if they were somewhat evil.
>>
>>57424310
>Gavin
Wow, that guy's parents must have hated him.

No, though. My Warlock just completed his personal goals, thanked the party, and peaced out.

We're currently following a storyline that's pushing our Ranger and Cleric into the spotlight, but now everybody else is being more active in participating now that they have more experience.

>>57424312
>GoO's
>Evil
What? Is your DM doing fucking whippits while playing?
>>
>>57424338
My characters backstory was they were unlucky enough to accidentally join a cult and were trying to survive. The most "evil" thing I did was accidently hit a party member with an eldrich blast which I apologized for and gave them my last health potion
>>
How do I make a Tabaxi Barbarian work?
>>
>>57424009
You want Mutants & Masterminds.
>>
>>57424422
Well you're real fast, possibly want some levels in rogue, and should sonic right at squishy targets like the enemy wizard and rape them.
>>
>Dm doing open rolls for combat
Yay or nay? One one hand I've at least once during the last two sessions corrected him when he fucks up. Examlpe; he said an attack landed on a PC that seemed strange cause I recalled their AC was higher than the roll. I quickly asked and he admitted mistake.

On the other hand he can't fudge rolls in favour of story elements. But on that same hand there's not gonna be any mercy fudging.
>>
>>57424451
Mild Yay.

I think there are several instances of abilities that you can trigger after the roll, but before result is announced.

>he can't fudge rolls
I am of the opinion, that if it is fine for DM to fudge his rolls, it must be fine for other players as well, right?
>>
>>57424510
>no roll fudging

I am 100% behind this. Yes shit will get derailed, yes a villain or an NPC or a PC may flat out just die sometimes. Everyone will know that it has been fair.
>>
>>57422323
In 5E Warlock, campaign is still going so still playing him. When I was first introduced to DnD it, Paladin and Druid were the 3 classes that caught my eye. Played a druid in PF and when I joined a new group for 5E I was more in the mood to play a gish that was a bit more caster so I made warlock. Granted I ended up becoming a bladelock but I don't regret my decision one bit
>>
>>57424451
If the DM has to fudge rolls, he's not a very good DM. It's easier to conveniently forget abilities and such but with experienced players there's something nice about running it to the actual module / to the monster manual so that the players feel they win fights and shit because of what they've done, not the DM. New players probably have no idea what's going on anyway.

So, as such, I'd say only do it if you're a new DM and/or with new players and even then it's nice to have it out in the open so people can react to rolls 'Oh, wow, you got critted, that really sucks' rather than just going off of the DM snickering behind is screen. Also some abilities actually want you to know the monster's roll first I believe.
>>
>>57424451
With newbie players (or low level in general) I roll behind the screen to prevent someone outright dying from some crit that rolled really high damage. In the higher level group I currently DM I roll everything in the open though and I'm very open about the enemies stats and so far everyone seemed to enjoy it (or at least be indifferent towards it and I certainly enjoyed it). It has more of a feel, that you as the DM are the neutral judge between the players and the world rather then someone who is either "out to get them" or some mercyful god.
>>
>>57422323
Half Orc fighter. He's fun as fuck to play. But I recently started a new campaign as a Goliath Forge Cleric and damn man, this shit is off the hook. Six spell slots at level 3, can wade into melee and smite fools left and right, bonus action summon a flying hammer while healing up dying people all while tanking hits and shrugging off massive damage with stones endurance.

Plus you get all the bitches cause you're huge, can drink whole bars dry and then smash out a suit of armor or a weapon in one hour for the same price as some poor non blessed Smith takes months to do.

Praise up, hammer to steel.
>>
Does anyone else feel the mummy lord from the MM has slightly low HP for a legendary creature?
>>
>>57424451
If I have a GM that is both competent and someone I trust to not fudge the rolls, I'd prefer them to do it behind screen so I don't have to deal with the whole "oh so they have +X to y" bullshit, I like removing the game interface as much as possible. On the other hand, it works poorly with a fair number of abilities.
>>
Champion Fighter because it's the simplest one and I didn't want to hold everybody else up
>>
File: 1509554730413.png (2.63 MB, 1920x2378)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB PNG
Anyone have any strong feelings on allowing a level one feat? I'm considering it and it seems like a significant power jump for many classes...but would allow my players to do what they "want" their character to do from level 1. IE being a sharpshooter or being a shield master kinda guy.

I understand this provides a significant amount of power, but are there are non-obvious downsides that I'm not seeing?
>>
File: lathander.jpg (51 KB, 400x431)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
So what's a cool Forgotten Realms deity to worship for an Oath of the Ancients Paladin? Lathander seems pretty up my alley, but that's the reason I'm playing a cleric of him in a different group and I want to change things up.
>>
>>57424651
That's the "down"side.
>>
>>57424296
Running out of low level spell slots won't result in the tac-nuke option, as you've rendered every spell slot above first functionally useless. it'll just lead to casters sitting in the corner ore more likely to a party of greatsword fighters. There's a reason Clerics are the most powerful class, because they're the lynchpin that keeps the party alive, and so you can get some fucker to play one.
>>
I want to gift Blackrazor to my party of 6th level adventurers, soon to be 7th.
The intended wielder is LN but Blackrazor is CN, will he still be able to attune?

I'm planning on having him roll a d100 opposed by my d100 to see whether or not the sword will be able to eat the soul in question or will the soul be subjected to the Death Curse instead.
>>
>>57422323
Battlemaster. I wanted to play a martial regardless of system at the time, I was told it was the best Fighter ever and that everything would be fine if I played it, I rolled up a human Fighter that went into BM. I was fucking lied to.
>>
>>57424671

Lliira, Mielikki, Sune

Lurue, if you want to be really exotic.
>>
>>57422323
Cleric. Because I always play cleric ever since the first time me and my friends tried these dice games.
>>
>>57424723
Thanks, I'll look into them!
>>
>>57424629
Yah particularly with its vulnerability to fire

Two fireballs and he is dead
>>
>>57424701
ok but the wielder will kill everything dead

it has +3 and adds temp hp equal to the killed creature plus advantage on all rolls
>>
How does Hexblade/Divine Soul compare with a Paladin?
>>
>>57422323
Half-orc Barbarian because magic seemed like a real pain to keep track of
>>
>>57424704
What didn't you like about it? I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>>57424868
The maneuvers are a sick, ineffective joke and their availability sucks.
>>
>>57424972
I actually am asking for a friend. He thinks Battle Master is the best shit around but I'm not sure I agree. The maneuvers seem like they might sort of drop off in effectiveness as more casters and epic monsters start showing up.
>>
I love and appreciate my DM for all the work he puts in but he wants to do every NPC we encounter in first person and his voice acting is poor and many sounds similar. But above all his speech pattern is almost identical for every character. The main annoyance here is that every character therefore feels like they have identical personalities. This really waters down npc interactions for us.

Is this something I can approach him about without sounding like I'm asking for too much? We're not exactly actors or shit any of us, it's not exactly an incomprehensible problem.
>>
>>57425009
>half the maneuver list sucks outright and all of them are situational
>very little of it is unique to the 5E Fighter among all Fighters and similar classes and what isn't unique was almost certainly done better by another edition's Fighter, but without a limit on use
>number of dice is far too low, between this and Action Surge you need a short rest between every encounter
>no higher power maneuvers gated by level, so by high levels the maneuvers you pick up are nothing but the garbage you ignored until you ran out of other options to take
It sucks, bad, and I am still pissed at the people who convinced me to give it a spin. Literally a shit version of a class I played 12 years ago.
>>
First time Druid player here. Which circle should I go with?
I don't see much reason to go with the Land one.
>>
>>57425056
>no higher power maneuvers gated by level, so by high levels the maneuvers you pick up are nothing but the garbage you ignored until you ran out of other options to take

See, that's what I was afraid of, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

He also seems to be under the impression that you should get a short rest between every encounter and plays almost nothing but sword warlocks and battlemaster because of the encounter resources.
>>
>>57425087
That would be understandable if we were talking about 4E, where short rests are 5 minutes, and not 5E, where they're an hour long.
>>
>>57425067

You want to turn into an animal and help in front? Go Moon.

You want to focus on slinging spells? Go Land

Want to focus on utility and healing? Go Dreams

Want to focus on buffing your allies in combat? Go Shepherd
>>
>>57425110

Yeah, 4e was kinda explicit in the design plan there, what with calling powers 'Encounter powers' and such.
>>
>>57425087
>See, that's what I was afraid of, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Don't see why you need to try and fix it. It's physical tricks, if you can do one of them you can do any of them. Not everything needs to be like magic where you keep unlocking better options from base stuff.
>>
>>57425067
Moon can solidly contribute in melee as a bear up to level 8 or so, but the absence of up to 8 free prepared spells will be felt more and more harshly. I find it hard to keep both utility and combat spells covered and have to focus more on one or the other.
>>
>>57425110
Fortunately our new DM, who I've played under before, is pretty good about breaking people of that habit.
>>
are eldritch knights as bad as i think they are?
wouldn't simply attacking with multiple extra attacks be better than casting a weak spell 9/10 times
and if thats the case then why even play an EK at all
>>
javascript:quote('57419319');
Hey...
Sorry that took so long. But I think I got it done... Changed some stuff around but I think I got it.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1GXjFuVG
Feel free to check this for balance as well.
>>
>>57425180
>if you can do one of them you can do any of them
>>
>>57425186
Their spellcasting is for utility, not damage.
>>
>>57425186
It's great to be able to support one more concentration spell, especially at higher levels when haste comes online. Until then, EKs are sort of reliant on the SCAG sword cantrips.
>>
>>57425056
Sucks compared to what? Whether you like it or not, it's one of the best Fighter subclasses.

Seems to me you don't like fighter rather than a problem with battlemaster
>>
>>57425209

Well, it's true. There isn't 'tiers' of physical ability, so it makes sense that someone can learn any of the tricks from the start.
>>
>>57425215

Mind you, they are rather hurt by the school limitations. As the last thing they want to touch with a ten foot pole is most of evocation since Kill Things is something they've already got in hand
>>
>>57425230
No, that doesn't make sense at all, please stop posting.
>>
>>57425226
He's not the only one. Fighters have very few abilities outside of combat, and even while fighting don't particularly excel compared to other classes. The most boring and limited class in 5e.
>>
>>57425245

Would you prefer to go play 4e if you want to get bullshit like 'You need to be level 4 to disarm a guy'?
>>
>>57425226
It's both. Battlemaster is shit and it's shit that's built off of a foundation that isn't fun to play to begin with.
>>
>>57425249

It's weird to ever say Pathfinder did something well but the Vigilante Class is likely a good example of how classes should be designed. Give you combat tricks and non-combat tricks and don't make them come from the same pool (So that you don't gimp yourself going with some non-combat or have powergamers going 100% combat tricks).
>>
>>57425260
If it meant that the list of maneuvers wasn't mostly garbage that was picked clean of good options less than halfway to level 20 and scaled in ways other than damage? Yes.
>>
>>57425249
No one will argue about their non-existent out of combat utility, but they're definitely good at the one thing they do well, which is damage. They only really get shown up by Paladins

>>57425262
Explain how Battlemaster is shit compared with other fighter subclasses without crying about MUH OLDER EDITIONS
>>
>>57425295
Eldritch Knight gets actual utility that can outweigh the Fighter's base class features in usefulness. Battlemaster does not.
>>
>>57425295
>without crying about MUH OLDER EDITIONS
>this is the best Fighter ever you'll love it dude
>WOW HOW DARE YOU COMPARE IT TO OTHER EDITIONS' FIGHTERS AND TELL ME IT SUCKS
Faggot.
>>
>>57425277

The funny thing? The power he's talking about is called Exorcism of Steel and it's a hell of a lot more than a disarm,as that's part of the improvised action rules anyone can do. Exorcism of Steel:

>Disarms a guy
>lets you steal his weapon
>ignores armour and gets a hefty accuracy boost
>doubles the weapon damage you'd do.

That's why it's an exploit rather than a basic trick. So he's not even right about 4e.
>>
>>57425087
>>57425110
>>57425119
>>57425183
The DMG recommends a short rest after every-other encounter, which is pretty close. Long rest every 6(-8?) encounters. IMO this is necessary for class balance, and much neglected.
>>
File: kc.png (54 KB, 170x233)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>meeting friends later today to try to play D&D
>got the starter set, lost mine of phandelver
>only played 2 hours of D&D in the past
>I'm going to DM
What do I need to do to prepare for this?
>>
>>57425373
Yeah, that's part of the problem since BM is very obviously balanced around using everything he's got every encounter.
>>
>>57425316
EK utility is a joke, their spells are severely limited and you're better served using your slots on shield 90% of the time. If you want utility, you don't play fighter.

BM fighter is perfectly viable with GWM and precision attack alone. Like I said, you don't have to like it but it's viable.

>>57425336
You can compare any 5e class to older editions and it sucks in comparison, it isn't a valid metric to judge by. Now fuck off to /pfg/, retard
>>
Retard question

In the PHB all the spell names and shit are available but nowhere does it say what any of them do. Where can I actually find spell descriptions, officially? I know I can just google them all but which book actually holds the reference material?
>>
>>57425373
Maybe, but I think the BM wouldn't be overpowered in any way if all their maneuvers recharged at every initiative roll.
>>
>>57425383
>it isn't a valid metric to judge by.
Like fuck it isn't, retard. Don't pretend a class is awesome
>>
>>57425260
Just because some faggot can do a standing backflip doesn't suddenly mean he is Olympic material. He's still impressive, sure, but he has a lot more tiers of backflips to unlock.

So, sure, maybe there's should be some higher levels of stuff that let you perform great feats of athleticism or swordplay that are more badass than unlocking a level 3 ability at level 18 or whatever.
>>
>>57425378
Beer.
>>
>>57425388
Truly a retard question.

The selfsame book. Try actually reading it.
>>
>>57425388
In the PHB. There's a spell descriptions section after the spell list section.
>>
>>57425378
stay calm.
dont try to be too fancy.
integrity is really important.
>>
>>57425413
>>57425410
Indeed truly retarded. Turns out the cause for my problem was that the spell titles in the PDF were of some unsearchable font. Please report me.
>>
>>57425383
>BM fighter is perfectly viable with GWM and precision attack alone.
Now if only that was actually fun or interesting to play and not 3.5 full attack Fighter tier.
>>
>>57425391
You're probably right compared to Barbarian, Paladin, but it would make BM obsolesce subclasses like arcane archer and samurai even harder :/
>>
>>57425434
Never claimed it was interesting, but it works, which is more than can be said for 3.5 fighter
>>
>>57425466
Leap attackers are better damage dealers and slot into a trip build just fine, so no, I don't agree with that. If literally all you care about is damage dealing, the 3.5 Fighter was better at that.
>>
If i have a longbow in my hand and have two scimitars on my back, and and enemy comes next to me can i drop the longbow and attack with the scimitars in the same turn?
>>
>>57425486
3.5 Fighter was a joke in comparison to just about every other class though, and were heavily reliant on magical items to do even that much. It's one niche, damage dealing, was completely outdone by bullshit like CODzilla cleric.

At least the 5e fighter is among the better damage dealers, even if that's all they have going for them.
>>
>>57425622
Unless your DM hates you for ripping off Drizzt, yes, you can draw a weapon as part of an attack action and I'd assume that includes two weapons.
>>
>>57425635
CoDzilla does not outdamage a leap attacker because they don't have the feats to afford Leap Attack and metamagic cheese at the same time, it's just better at literally everything else.
>>
>>57425644

Nope. Drawing as part of an attack action only applies to the ammunition property.

The Dual Wielder feat explicitly lets you draw or stow two weapons when you would only be able to draw one otherwise.
>>
What class(es), if any, synergize with Kobolds? I like them from a roleplay standpoint but they don't get much racial stuff, and some of what they do get is situational or downright useless.
>>
>>57425665
>feat taxing a combat style that isn't even good
That's some 3.5 shit right there.
>>
>>57425664
I admit when you said "leap attack" I forgot about the shock trooper/pounce cheese. Fucking splatbooks out the ass
>>
>>57425622
By the rules as they are you can only draw one weapon on your turn. The Two Weapon Fighting feat very specifically lets you draw two weapons whenever you would draw one. It would be up to your DM because some wouldn't really care and think it makes sense, but it is against RAW.
>>
>>57425707
Yup pretty much, though I feel like most groups don't bother with that shit. At least mine doesn't
>>
Potentially retarded gish related question: would dipping a level into wizard get around the eldritch knight's incredibly limited list of spells? My understanding is that being able to copy spells down into a book would let me learn spells and use the spell slots I already have as an eldritch knight to cast them.
>>
>>57425766
>Potentially retarded gish related question: would dipping a level into wizard get around the eldritch knight's incredibly limited list of spells? My understanding is that being able to copy spells down into a book would let me learn spells and use the spell slots I already have as an eldritch knight to cast them.

A little bit. You'll still prepare wizard spells as a first level wizard. You'd get 1+int mod spells prepared, and they'd all be first level. You are not allowed to copy higher level spells into your spellbook than a wizard of your level could normally learn,

Wiz/EK is still a great combo. Most people seem to suggest EK 7/Wizard 13 with Abjuration or War Wizard.
>>
File: Argh.jpg (16 KB, 200x200)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
Any of you ever just hate other players for shitting up your games?

A player's friend seemed really keen to join our group.
She creates a character with some difficulty (but to be expected). First few sessions go ok, everyone is accepting of beginner breaking in
But she keeps getting things wrong and doesn't seem to actually have tried to learn. Also, when the DM coaches her on the right way she gets annoyed at him.
A different player drops out due to job moving them too far away for regular sessions.

To compensate for group losing a member, player's friend invites her two friends to the group. One is competent and seems to try. The new players keep requesting to fight a demogrogon like on stranger things.
DM actually seems kind of happy and says he was looking for a reason to get Out Of The Abyss.

Last session they didn't even want to play D&D, just wanted to watch anime. They got all pissy when DM and me started playing while they were watching. I'm not even against anime, but I was there for D&D.

In our group chat they've invited others and are now trying to turn it into a movie and game night.
The shitters have now killed my D&D night.
>>
File: 1474423628114.jpg (12 KB, 234x214)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
ok, i don't care for 3.5 but there is one thing at least about it I noticed compared to 5e that I liked more back then

>back then
>something blocks our progress
>we always had to think of some mundane way around it, picking locks, etc.
>somebody always had a torch going, not everyone had darkvision, and low-light existed at that time which still sucked in total darkness

now shoot to 5e
>progress is blocked
>i cast this spell which utterly negates thing
>everyone has darkvision except like 2 races

i can handle big damage magic, heavy control magic, but magic that just skips problems you set up with no thought bug the fuck out of me. you could say "that's just good roleplaying". I say no I play with a bunch of guys that know the PHB inside and out and know every spell so they already know the answer to every situation

I think i'm going to be removing some of the out of combat utility spells, only the more egregious ones like say knock and whatnot. Spells used in unique ways to get a job done doesn't bother me, that's good roleplaying. For instance...

>You are in jail, the warden is asleep but you see him just barely slumped over in his chair 40 feet down a hall, and he has the key, what do you do?
>"I cast tiny servant on my food bowl and make it walk down the hall and try to get the key. It walks next to the wall so if guard looks or walks by it slumps against that spot to look like refuse. I still gotta climb the warden quietly to not wake him and try to grab the key."

and here's the kicker: I've yet to DM against that problem, i'm a player and i'm already annoyed watching other players do this and I don't want to have to deal with that.
>>
>>57425849
>i cast this spell which utterly negates thing
How the fuck was this not the same in 3.5 except cranked to 11?
>>
>>57425849
The fuck are you on? Casters raping the game with utility magic was even worse in 3.5.
>>
>>57422323
Psion, cause i was an edgelord + I though wizards were old and gross. I was a whiny bitch.
>>
>>57425873
>>57425861
I dunno what to tell you, I saw it far less back then, if almost never. Maybe it was the players then. I just dont wanna make a problem that can be solved with a wave of the hand.

partly why maybe only 2 of my races in my homebrew setting have darkvision. Make the dark great again.
>>
>>57425890
Darkvision is incredibly overrated. Perception checks are at disadvantage while using it, and passive perception becomes borderline useless.

If your players want to wander around in the dark, they are going to stumble into every trap in that bitch and see no hidden creatures while they're at it
>>
>>57425849

>everyone has darkvision except like 2 races

I can't think of a single race that has darkvision in 5e that didn't have it 3.5 as well
>>
File: 1459292883005.jpg (45 KB, 460x400)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>57425826
>he's been in our party since the start
>always finds a way to play a character that runs counter to the rest of the party and is disruptive
>normally it's by being a dick-ass thief that never helps ("What's in it for me?") but he once managed to do it by being the stick-in-the-mud asshole type Paladin
>often spends several rounds in combat dicking around while the rest of the party is struggling against an encounter that was balanced around everybody contributing (characters have died because of this)
>will actively work against the party's goals out of spite with the security that nobody else in the party wants to make waves by killing his character
>the one time somebody finally got fed up OOC/IC and attacked his character it became a small shitshow that ended with that person, my best friend, dropping out of the game (explained it away with something else that came up in life)
>the thing that fed her up was that he cast Suggestion on the party and acted surprised when two party members were completely upset and retaliated with violence, painting them as the bad guys
>apparently his character is Chaotic Good despite having never done a good action and actively making jokes about other characters doing good actions
>not only does he not do good but he has an active pact with a demon and cast Suggestion on the party to steal something his demon wanted
>all of his characters are rip-offs of characters he likes, the most recent one being the protagonist of Final Fantasy XV
>he doesn't pay very much attention during the game and has to be caught up with the plans the party makes

If I didn't like all of the rest of the players so much as friends I would have probably dropped the game, as well. I'am also attached to my character. It's just a That Guy situation, and everybody in the party is too nice to stand up against it besides me and the DM and neither of us want to be assholes that cause a disruption to the group because it's the only way we hang out.
>>
>>57422323
>Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/
I think the link is broken...
>>
>>57425890
>>57425849
>Your party has no humans
>Your party is fine with wandering around in dim light and setting off all the traps
What the fuck is wrong with your party?

Here's how darkness works in 5e:
1. The DM doesn't care for the extra mechanic and handwaves it because everoyne has darkvision
2. The DM acknowledges darkvision only gives you dim light which is not good for spotting traps unless someone has really goddamn good passive perception and even then it's not a good idea, and you're punished for wandering in the dark by being more likely to be surprised by enemies and more likely not to notice traps or important hints in a room.
>>
>>57425826
Yeah that seems extremely ass. Where are you all meeting? Just gotta get the fuck out at this point and find new players.
>>
>>57423137
It's really not so hard, most people are just too afraid to try it. Personally I prefer to DM and if you've got a general knowledge of how the game works from watching videos or whatever that's plenty. Go for it my dude
>>
Which would be a better idea?
Allowing warlock to cast hex 1psr for free or giving the warlock an extra slot?
>>
>>57425890
its definitely the players then since the spell lists are similar and the wizkid can definitely do all those things in 3.5

>>57422323
Human fighter, 3.5 it was what i was told i could play.
>>
>>57425826
Reminds me of that image of stickmen playing some sort of card game and they invite new players and that new player invites new players until the game is full of people only playing to hang out instead of playing the game
Anyone have that image?
>>
>>57425978
Make hex a class feature usable CHA mod times a day
>>
It just occurred to me that I've played with plenty of female players, but not once with a female DM.
>>
>>57422323
A poorly built 3.0E STR-based Sorcerer with EWP (Bastard Sword) and Toughness. I did this because I liked the idea of being the guy who wasn't the best swordsman or the best magician, but had a bit of both to switch between when one was more useful than the other.

Now I mainly play paladins, bladelocks, EKs and bards because apparently gish is just my goal in life.
>>
File: 1503889686205.jpg (100 KB, 960x732)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>57425826
>She creates a character
>She
Found your problem m8.
>>
>>57426011
Now that you mention it ... me too.
>>
>>57425978
At level 4 the warlock gets a level 1 slot. At level 8, this slot becomes a level 2 slot instead.
Simple.
>>
>>57426040
Why not just an extra slot?
>>
>>57426040
Warlocks only have spells slots of their maximum spell level at any given time...So this would not work.
>>
>>57426071
Then make it like arcanum, except you can upcast spells onto it.
A slot by any other name.

>>57426056
Because warlocks are already fine as is, except that some of their levels are kind of lacking when, say, a wizard has plenty of slots to use for utility and shit, so giving the warlock a low level slot won't empower them too much yet also allow them to still use lower level spells sometimes.

Though honestly if you're going to play a warlock you might as well suck up the fact you're not going to be spellcasting all the time and instead make good use of the fact you have better at-will damage than the other casters.
>>
File: 544.png (526 KB, 600x526)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
>>57426026
>>
>>57426100
Over complicated, better solution is either making hex a class featute or giving them an extra slot.
>>
What's a good name for a religion that mostly involves worshiping a being in charge of fate/destinies, with ten Gods in charge of typical domains? The Gods are structured like a community (The Farmer, the Knight, the Scholar, etc.)
>>
>>57426113
Extra slot is too much. Hex as a class feature is lame because it shouldn't be a class feature, it should stay as a spell or additional feature such as through invocations. As in, you don't need some sort of basic 'warlock deals more damage' ability, warlocks are in a nice place as dealing high at-will damage for a caster but not as much as martials usually.

If you have to give them anything, give them alternatives to eldritch blast for cantrips.
>>
>>57426131
Just do what every other religion does and name it after the primary deity or the region the religion is found in.
>>
>>57426135
The warlock in question isn't USING eldritch blast, he's a hexblade.
>>
>>57426131
The Order?
>>
>>57422323
Druid, I liked the idea of changing into different animals.
Somehow I was the most powerful character at the table.
>>
File: 1433281296891.jpg (451 KB, 4040x626)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
>>57425826
>>
>the party fights three high level clerics
>the paladin, fighter and rogue refuse to move out of magical shit
>rogue just dodges everything forever and paladin boost saves
>fighter just eats it all
They were standing on top of Symbol of pain for gods sake. They didn't even know how terrifying the spell is and just stood there making their saves for four turns.
Not to mention the blade barrier cutting them up and the guardian of faith whacking them and holy aura imposing disadvantage on their attacks.
That fight could have gone very differently if they just had rolled a bit lower. Rogue kept dodging everything but was the only one to drop down to 0 thanks to Harm and a whopping 5 damage from the guardian.
>>
>>57425826
>The new players keep requesting to fight a demogrogon like on stranger things.
Should've kicked them out right there and then.
>>
>>57426131

Something that sounds tarot-related (the Arcana) should do nicely.

The Fate's Court, for example.
>>
>>57426131
Pick something equally as generic
>>
>>57426192
I was considering something Tarot based
I've even designed my own Tarot deck that uses these Gods as the Major Arcana
>>
>>57422323
First ever character was a Knight in The Dark Eye. Massive cheating and powergaming involved, but hey, I was 10.

Second character was some years later a Thief in AD&D. Had a massive backstory that never got told because the character was the secretive and silent type. Then he died. Learned my lesson.
>>
>>57426205
I guess with a short description like that it does sound a bit generic, but it works for my setting.

What do you do to make your pantheon(s) stand out?
>>
>>57426205
>>57426209
Bouncing off of the idea of tarot, why not Tarocchism, based on the term tarocchi?
>>
>>57426164
Then it's their fault they chose to suck, except remember that hexblade is best at EBing and comes with a free psuedohex anyway so why do you want moer hexes?
>>
>>57426234
Nothing wrong with generic really, I'd stick to the theme with something simple like The Divines or The Ten or something.

Only really had one idea for a pantheon, people worship multiple "gods" that are actually just facets of a single true deity.

Probably just as generic, all in all
>>
File: elf sparrow.jpg (72 KB, 705x938)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
So, is there any way for a Warlock to learn Gate, or just sort of out of luck on that one?

>>57422323
Fighter, Eldritch Knight. Because I always wanted to do martials in previous editions but it was never great, and then I fell deeply in love with the path system in 5e immediately and always loved gish stuff. No regrets.
>>
File: rondra.png (691 KB, 496x1240)
691 KB
691 KB PNG
>>57426211
I had my first RPG experiences with The Dark Eye, too. But I got roped into forever GM right from the beginning, so my first ever character that saw actual play in an actual campaign with another DM was like after 4 years or so of RPing. It was a cleric of Rondra.
>>
>>57426108
Women are bad at and shouldn't be allowed to play games.
>>
>>57426312
ACKCHUALLY

PAM warlock is better than eldritch blaster.
>>
>>57425939
Jobs and life-stuff make it hard to hang out but here's hoping it gets better.

>>57425964
Well, my place has been the goto for D&D nights (I have a fuck-huge table). I'd ditch it, but the DM and other player are my friends. It wasn't just D&D night it was more D&D + friends night.

>>57425987
>>57426177
That is eerily accurate. I'll take comfort that I'm not alone in the struggle.

>>57426189
I guess we got blinded by wanting to try and escape the underdark.
>>
>>57426408
Yeah, no, not when you consider how much more versatile fighting at range is while you also slow the enemy 10ft and push them away 10ft, even if they're planet-sized.

And especially not if you multiclass for sorlocking / fighter sorlocking.
>>
>>57426449
>Assuming any DM allows Sorlock

PAM warlock outputs more damage than a eldritch blast warlock, can benefit from sentinel ect.
>>
>>57426322
Yeah, but that's still fun. In my setting there are only ten Gods, but different religions around the world see them different ways, and other races worship different things entirely (elves worship the Feywild as a god-like entity, the Dwarves worship their ancestors in an aboriginal-inspired culture, stuff like that). The Gods are mostly just worshiped by the humans
>>
>>57422323
Paladin
Smiting fools sounded fun
>>
>>57426312
This. If he's Hexblading, needs an extra hex and isn't just using the spell, AND isn't EB-hitting through the invocation, they're just doing it wrong.
>>
>>57426475
Interesting, how do the gods feel about the non-believing races?
>>
>>57426494
Would you rather have 1 attack at level 1-4 and 2 attacks at level 5-10 or have 2 attacks at level 1-4 and 3 attacks at level 5-10?

Keep in mind you still need hex since Hexblade's Curse can't be moved from target to target like hex can, so once it's used it's gone.
>>
File: dinoRacing.png (794 KB, 850x549)
794 KB
794 KB PNG
XP vs Milestone for home campaigns?
>>
>>57426534
Milestone
>>
>>57426468
So you do, what, maybe 30% more damage in return for having to enter the 'Brutal Monster Rape Radius' or encourage monsters to move you into that radius for reaction attacks when instead you could be keeping the monsters nowhere near you or your team?

There are a whole ton of cases where melee gets fucked up (Fight over a chasm, enemy starts too far away, flying enemies, the enemies you want to kill are behind other enemies, enemy has an ability that does shit in reaction to melee attacks or simply has an aura...) that makes it not really worth it, as well as the fact you're having to take an entire pact and patron choice not to become MAD while the EBers are jerking themselves off in a leomund's tiny hut.
There are very few counters to ranged combat aside from 'stand near to them and hope they don't just move away from you again / push you away' (which is negated entirely by crossbow expert or a UA fighting style or any of the many things that simply let you walk away from the enemy such as darkness). Deflect missiles and shield of missile attraction are a couple I can think of. Cover/prone only makes it so ranged combatants have to move closer (so no different to melee) / makes anyone who is melee fuck them up harder.

Now normally this whole difference between ranged and melee sucks already but when you also have the abilities to keep the enemy from ever reaching you, it just takes the cake.
>>
>>57426468
>PAM

Polearm Master, right? I'm newer to trying to break 5e but I think I get the gist of it.
>>
>>57426534
Use XP if the players have a clear goal and reward them XP only for that goal. i.e. 'Kill monsters' or 'Loot money' or 'Complete quests given by NPCs'.

Use milestones for anything else or checkpoints.
>>
>>57426549
Why would you ever go pact of the tome though? Literally just have a wizard in your party, they do ritual casting better.

You can avoid damage well enough by going mirror image and armour of agathys.
>>
>>57425056
I agree. Especially considering the frequency with which you are allowed to swap manuevers over advamcement.

We could have had upgrades to Commander’s strike which increased its efficiency in the action economy or number of beneficiaries, or even allowed for ranged attacks.

We could have had landed strikes that also allowed allies temporary HP. Or a rally that targettes more allies ar once.

We could have had strikes that did more than just trip, stacking stunned or incapacitated or paralyzed.

It could have been great.
>>
>>57422323
Fighter as it is the archetype that I most enjoy playing. I also had experience playing one in previous editions and wanted to compare.
>>
>>57426563
>Literally have a wizard in your party
You say that like you can just tell someone 'play wizard, fucko'.
Maybe you don't have a wizard because you have a moon druid, a bard and a paladin instead? Wizards aren't the only high-tier class.
Not only that, if your DM is generous to give you enough rituals you actually do ritual casting better than a wizard because wizards miss out on some other rituals such as augury.

>You can avoid damage well enough by going mirror image and armour of agathys.
Those are still worse than making yourself practically unhittable except by ranged combat (and monsters 95% of the time suck at ranged combat or are stronger at melee) and they not only use your spell slots and require casting before combat but don't save your ass entirely.
They also don't solve the problem of dealing with shit like flying enemies.
>>
>>57426516
How is that achieved exactly?

>Can't be moved
I mean that's true for the first 13 levels of the class, so basically always.
>>
>>57426606
If you're unhittable because you're fighting at range then your DM is shit at encounter building.
>>
>>57426510
They're sort of apathetic, though they welcome any other races who seek their religion. The exception is the Elves, whose chaotic nature clashes with their structured style.
>>
>>57426609
PAM lets you make an attack as a bonus action, which means you get an extra attack compared to EB which can only make one attack before level 5 and only 2 before level 11, which means you get to proc hex and any other damage bonuses an additional time.
>>
>>57422323
Dwarven Fighter in 2nd Ed AD&D. Because someone else had picked Thief and we needed grunt power if i remember that far back He didn't last long anyway. Got Oozed to death in the Moathouse.
>>
File: okay.png (135 KB, 278x262)
135 KB
135 KB PNG
>>57426625
>The DM needs to tailor encounters to this one fucko who has no weaknesses that melee doesn't have without also fucking over all the melee players

When your DM starts giving all your enemies shields of Eldritch Blast attraction and Deflect Eldritch Blast (I forgot that both deflect missiles and shield of missile attraction don't work on EB) and rings of resist force damage then you really have to question just how awesome you are that the world now revolves around you.
>>
>>57426651
Or just make an enemy that can attack from range well? Like you would if your party had any class that could also attack from range well?
>>
>>57422323
Sorcerer, it wasn't fun at all
>>
>>57426563
>Why would you ever go pact of the tome though?

Character and flavor reasons? Wide spell casting utility with the extra cantrips? The ritual casting is just as good if you come across enough spellbooks or scrolls.

And like the other guy said, "play wizard, fucko" is just a small-minded thought that entirely disregards party composition, the players in the game, and player preference.
>>
>>57426657
Doesn't work well if you're on a premade module or dragging a lot of monsters out from the Monster Manual, but sure. If you're making your own monsters.
Now the meleefags are even more fucked because the enemies want to keep them away and now only the rangefags can attack them.
Brilliant.
>>
>>57426651
Eldritch blast is basically just a weapon attack, treat them like the fighter going XBE SS McCree.
>>
>>57426677
And how do you treat that fighter other than outright banning them?

You can focus fire them, but CBE SS McCree is just as tough as any melee fighter.
>>
>>57426534

Milestone. It encourages people to play characters and not builds.
>>
>>57426690
Fodder enemies to grapple them and knock them prone is the easiest.
>>
>>57426563
>Literally just have a wizard in your party, they do ritual casting better.
They actually don't. This is the one thing a warlock can do better than anyone else, because they can learn every single ritual in the game.
>>
>>57426707
Those are better against meleefags than rangefags because meleefags suffer just as much as rangefags from that as well as the fact meleefags are easier to get in grappling range of as well as that meleefags then can't attack anyone but the guy grappling them, but rangefags can still attack anyone.
>>
File: Crest Homebrew Draft.png (965 KB, 825x936)
965 KB
965 KB PNG
So I found the anime Record of Grancrest War today and really liked the idea of the crests. I decided to do a homebrew of the crests for 5e and wanted opinions on it. To help balance it, I'd considered making it standard to have enemies be maxed HP to help handle these abilities being encounter based and not rest limited, but even then they are likely still pretty damn powerful.

So any input is welcome, and if people don't want it discussed because anime, thats fine too I can respect that.
>>
>>57426707
>>57426727
Oh, not to mention the rangefag also hurts themself less when they punch themself in the face and use the battlemaster manoeuvre to push themself out of the grapple automatically with only one of their attacks, stand up and keep shooting.

The only winning move is to not let them play.
>>
>>57425684
Pls respond
>>
Been with my group for over 2 years, but our DM encouraged each one of us to do a one-off next month.
Never DM'ed before and wondering what type of good plot points/cool ideas I can write in for a fun short adventure, also basic DM tips for first timers.
Thanks
>>
>>57426753
Play a gnome and reflavor it as a kobold, then play wizard.
>>
>>57425684
>>57426753
They're good for a lot of classes, assuming you have a party member that will be fighting on the frontline. They have great synergy with Rogue because Sneak Attack and Pack Tactics work well together. They're also good Dex Fighters and Rangers. There's less synergy with the casters but none of their features are really wasted on them, you'll just be missing racial stats.

The big thing to keep in mind is the Sunlight Sensitivity. If you're in a campaign that spends a lot of time outdoors it can be taxing. Fortunately your Pack Tactics will counteract it, but you'll lose your constant source of advantage.
>>
>>57426778
When everybody is present, whip out your dick to assert you authority.
If anyone starts bitching slap them in the face with it especially the previous DM.
If the players start to wander off the track pee on their character sheets and drop your stones on them if they still act up.
>>
>>57426651
Nigga what is cover/terrain?

Are all your enemies retards who stand in the open getting hit? Are there no walls? Do your enemies never set barricades? Do you never have enemies come in from behind?

I've never had a problem with ranged characters because they melt like fucking butter and throw tantrums when they're not allowed to just freely fire at enemies.
>>
... And not to mention the CBE+SS faggot has a better to-hit chance than the GWM+PAM fag so they suffer less from disadvantage and their higher hit chance but slightly lower damage means they're better at picking off fodder enemies.

>>57426818
>Cover/terrain
It merely takes away the advantages ranged combat has, it doesn't make it any weaker than melee. If like in the previous example with a PAM warlock doing more damage than a EB warlock you always had enemies that couldn't be attacked at range then yes, melee would be better in this case, but it'd be a pretty bland campaign if all combat was a tactical shooter 'cover is everywhere, enemeis never show themselves' game.
And in the case of fighters, CBE+SS is just as strong as PAM+GWM even if you take away their capability of firing any further than 5ft away from the enemy.

>I've never had a problem with ranged characters because they melt like fucking butter
Ranged characters aren't really any weaker than melee characters in terms of health and AC and all that. The players are either dumb or they purposefully neglected their defences because they expected to never be hit.
>>
what would you consider all the important information on a character's backstory to know before the first session? i've played in 3 groups over the last few months, but two were dogshit and one was mostly combat, so backstory and role playing didn't come up that much. i'm starting a new one soon and i actually care about it, so i want to have a non shitty character
>>
>>57426877
>It'd be pretty bland campaign is all combat was tactical shooter 'cover is everywhere, enemies never show themselves' game
As opposed to there being no cover and enemies just stand out in the open attacking and taking hits?

The most boring sessions I've had are the ones where DM's can't be arsed to actually create interesting terrain conditions like thick fog, pillars or hazardous terrain.
>>
>>57427259
Hopefully you use a variety of things. However, it's pretty much impossible to screw over ranged characters without screwing over melee characters as well - you can only reduce ranged characters to melee level tactically, and even then unless you use the same type of map over and over you won't always limit that ranged capability, and it'd suck for the ranged guys if they never got to shoot at range anyway. Hazardous environments are more likely to fuck over melee players anyway.

Fortunately some classes have melee-only abilities, such as barbarian, cavalierfighter and paladin.
>>
>>57427225
Depends on the campaign, age/race, and level, but for tier 1, usually it's:
>family/adoptive family/teachers for possible npc action from the DM
>outside of being in a jokingly large family, only should be like three at most
>"Was being a snot-nosed nobody until one day..."
>life changing event or two (ranges from "ran away from home" or "always scrappy" to "the gods sent him a telegram" or "could not handle both prom and an orc invasion"
>any failings
>>
>>57422323
>My first Class ever?
Cleric. Not by choice mind you. I had just come home from being a missionary for my church, my friends had just gotten into D&D and D&D 3.5 was bran new. They suggested I would do good at it...

Feel more at home as a Paladin or Warlock honestly.
>>
>>57425045
You could try not being an unappreciative cunt and be grateful that hes trying
>>
>>57427665
Hey, I really do appreciate it. I'm very thankful for him. But sometimes a man has to complain anonymously on an Indian Haiku forum
>>
Anyone have a picture explaining the coffeelock build, got a friend that wants it.
>>
>>57425849
Knock makes a loud as fuck noise, can you really not think of a way to punish that?
>>
Coffeelock doesn't work
>>
>>57427865
(you)
>>
File: Emir.pdf (647 KB, PDF)
647 KB
647 KB PDF
Hey Guys...
How does this Warlock Patron build look to you?
>>
So, can I use a two-handed weapon with Hex Warrior if I have Pact of the Blade or just ranged one-handed weapons with CHA instead of DEX?

I need to wield a Polearm with CHA for reasons...
>>
>>57422323
Dragonborn
PALADIN
Oath of _Vengeance_

He was a big dumb oaf, and I just wanted to smack infidels. Praise BAHAMUTH.
>>
>>57427947
eh, not a fan. I like the idea of Genie patrons, but not as melee warlocks. It'd be lame to get Searing Smite if your patron isn't an Efreeti.

Also the Curse ability. If the target isn't immune or resistant, is the idea they gain 'Vulnerablility' to the element (ie double damage)? Thats way to fucking powerful for a lvl 1 feature (imagine the dip abuse). If this isn't the concept, avoid using the term Vulnerability. It also overlaps too much with the Elemental Adept feat.

I'd go back to the drawing board and ditch all the melee oriented stuff. It's a shame Hexblade wasn't just an invocation or variant class, but I don't want to see charisma to attack/damage on more patrons.
>>
File: bq5p6sujvgjy.png (765 KB, 1062x996)
765 KB
765 KB PNG
How would I make Seta Kaiba?

Or more specifically, a person in the same vein as old school yugioh where he challenges people to miscellaneous games before doing damage?
>>
>>57427947
Curse of Elements is a little strong, jsut because it lasts a minute. The class with a closest equivalent is the Grave Cleric and Path to the Grave, and that ability only applies to attacks (not AoE spells) and affects only a single attack, ending at the end of the caster's next turn. Making it a level 1 ability that lasts a minute and applies to all damage is too much.
You're also stacking Hexblade's charisma melee ability right on top of it.
Spell Smite is also very strong in that it directly bypasses legendary resistance and allows you to dump your casting stat entirely for a physical stat.
>>
>>57422323
Hey guys,

Anyone know of any psychic themed archetypes for Wizard? I'm trying to build a Mindflayer antagonist for my players in the Underdark and I wanted to see if there was something already made before I just did it myself.
>>
>>57427865
You better watch your cholesterol, it can't be healthy to be so full of salt.
>>
>>57427983
> If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type.
>You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options).
Yes.
>>
>>57426572
>Commander’s Strike
Combine it with a smiting paladin, any rogue, or anyone who is Polymorphed into a giant ape or tyrannosaurus and it’s great.

Though honestly there’s no need for it to take the fighter’s bonus action.
>>
>>57428129
Mystic is a psionics class. There are also a few things Warlock get with mind flavor.
>>
>>57428218
Mystic would work, but i'm trying to make the Illithid an Alhoon and those nerds are Wizards. It wouldn't be that hard to just reflavor Mystic, though!
>>
>>57428129

It's not an strictly an archetype, but illusion spells (like Hypnotic Pattern, Phantasmal Force) would fit the bill nicely.
>>
>>57428129
Not really; not for Wizard.
What I’d recommend is to generally pick mind-affecting or psychic spells and then just remove the V/S/M requirements for that villain, since he’s manifesting his power mentally instead of casting spells, as it were.
Also, don’t be afraid to hack the spell list. If you think he should have Dissonant Whispers even though it’s not a wizard spell, then by god he has it.
>>
>>57428102
Wizard. Use maze, net, phantasmal force, illusions, whatever the heck gets the enemies thinking.
>>
>>57426561
This. Milestone (aka When DM Feels Like It) is good for a "typical" game with no particular emphasis on a certain aspect, with balance between RP and combat. XP stands out for more gamey campaigns, loads of encounters in dungeons, treasure hunting focus, etc.
>>
>>57423401

It's always great when the bard uses Vicious Mockery to kill a creature.

In 2 of the 3 campaigns I'm involved with, we have a bard. In the first, he's "lawful good" but really acts more like a vengeful little shit who lies all the time. A halfling, and kind of the team leader, as far as we have one.

The other is a female air genasi who acts very un-bard-like. Less interested in tales or tail, more interested in getting mad rich and stabbing people who piss her off... which is almost everyone.

I'm gonna be playing a bard in a campaign we're starting sometime after one of the 3 finishes. She'll be a hill dwarf dancer from a noble family, College of Swords.
>>
>>57428253
>>57428265
Good points, thanks!
>>
>>57428129
You don't need archetypes for monsters.

Just take the Alhoon or Mind Flayer Arcanist stats and replace spells you don't like for spells you do.
>>
>>57426431
It's your fucking house. Put your foot down, tell them they're there to play D&D or they're not coming round.
>>
>>57428601
So much this.
You should always look to reskin or slightly adjust before you put any real work into building a monster from scratch.
>>
>>57422323
What a shit graphic. Combat is 1/3rd of the game. It should not occupy 100% of your decision making class wise.
>>
>>57428824
>Combat is 1/3rd of the game
It really isn't.
>>
How many sessions does it take until players and DM stop debating rules several times per fight? The only reason the DM doesn't say "Fuck you I'm the DM" is because he too is new and admits his calls are not always better than RAW.
>>
File: Crusader's Relics.jpg (138 KB, 1024x768)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>57422323
Paladin. When I heard that some friends of mine were in a D&D campaign and the DM was open to new players, the next words out of my mouth were "Do you have a Paladin?"

I really love Paladins. My vidya RPG characters are almost invariably the closest I can get them to being a Paladin. I like heavy armor, melee combat, healing magic, and getting to play an unapologetic hero.
>>
>>57428880
It really is, in non-shit campaigns.
>>
>>57428824
Classes are mostly dedicated to giving you combat options, though. Backstory and personality are what affects the rest of the game.
And one other 1/3 of the game should be dealing with shit like traps, exploring dungeons, preparring for fights or doing puzzles or whatever the heck. It shouldn't be 2/3 talking with friendly people, I damn well hope, or you should play a different system.
>>
>>57428885
>The only reason the DM doesn't say "Fuck you I'm the DM"
Frankly, if my DM would say this, i would stop coming quickly.

We argue about rules even after year of playing, but it it is much less common, now. (Mostly when players try new spell or someone comes up with weird combo.)
>>
>>57428907
>Classes are mostly dedicated to giving you combat options, though.
Only shit classes.
>>
>>57428885
Tell your DM to try this line out instead:

In the interest of time, I'm moving on with X ruling. However, after the session, present your arguments, and I may change it for the future.
>>
>>57428924
>Most of the game is shit
>But I post here in 5eg anyway
>>
>>57428953
Every now and then, someone figures out a way to make the game slightly less shit, posts it here, and I add it to my ever growing phonebook sized collection of houserules to make this more fun.
>>
>>57428942
>>57428913
Of course he doesn't actually say "Fuck you I'm the DM". It was just my way of saying he has more often than not been open to the player's argument in the moment than invoke rule 0.
>>
>>57423587
Spells are valuable and dangerous.
>Do they not have masters and apprentices
Whether they're taking individual pupils or if they have a guild-like structure, that by itself would be a perfectly good justification NOT to share their spells willy-nilly.

Spells are power and prestige. Whitebeard the Great's apprentices would have acess to his secret private library where he has copies of almost every spell known to man. He can have that because he comes from a centuries-old tradition of magicians, who have had multiple high-level wizards that amassed it over the generations. It is in his best interest to not let the knowledge proliferate, because then he would no longer have the claim to being the only guy who knows ALL the fucking spells.

Alternatively: Let's say there has been a scandal - the Count's so-called court wizard turned out to be not wizard at all, but a warlock getting his powers from the depths of hell. We can't have that in our blessed city - especially not if Whitebeard can make a pretty penny by standardizing and regulating the training of all the wizards in the city. Why hire any random wanderer who comes to the tavern claiming a wizard, when you can get a certified guild specialist, who is GUARANTEED to not be a filthy demon-worshipper and to be poweful enough to cast spells of (to use in-game abstractions) at least fourth level?
>>
>>57428190
Excellent. Now which incantations would be mandatory for a primarily melee pure hexblade?

I feel like there's way too many and not even remotely enough spots.
>>
>>57429097
The only I'd say are mandatory are Lifedrinker and Thirsting blade.

Improved pact weapon is pretty good early levels but once you get a +1 weapon it becomes basically useless.

Eldritch smite is not worth it.
>>
>>57429022
If you're using that many houserules you seriously should consider playing a different system or make your fucking own if you're that angry about it.
>>
>>57429135
Other systems don't have the DnD brand or latest edition status, sadly.
>>
Why is Storm Sorcerer in both Xanathar's Guide and Sword Coast Guide?
>>
>>57429120
armor of shadows?
relentless or maddening hex?
agonizing blast because, i mean, it is still very potent
devil's sight for memes?

I always struggle with those two initial invocations, it never feels enough.
>>
>>57429158
Well, at the very least you could post all the houserules you've scoped out so we can vomit all over it and call you a faggot.
>>
>>57429171
AL games are PHB+1. So putting it in Xanathar's allows those players to use that class, while still having access to all the spells carried over from Elemental Evil.
>>
>>57429197
THIS
>>
>>57429197
I'm actually working on formalizing them all into a coherent document, so someday!
>>
>>57429171
Who knows? Swashbuckler, Mastermind and i think something else is there too. Possible reasons include:
1. So that all classes are nicely together at the same place.
2. To allow players of those classes in Adventurer's League use other materials from Xanathar's, because they have PHB+1 rule (you can use only one other book than PHB for your character).
>>
>>57429022
>>57429197
I'm also curious about what you've got.
>>
>>57429171

Because the books came out at different times.

Xanathar's consolidated a lot of things from previous UA, spells from EEPC, and a few things from SCAG to help with Adventure League's PHB+1 Rule
>>
>>57429195
>armor of shadows?
It's shit, extra-especially on a hexblade. It has a niche with abjuration wizard multiclassing.
>maddening/relentless hex
Eh, maybe, not mandatory.
>Agonizing blast
If you're going that route just go full eldritch blast with the slowing and repelling blasts.
You can probably use a ranged weapon instead if you have to.
>Devil's sight
It's a good option if you don't have darkvision, or even if you have it, though works best if someone else can cast dardkness for you at later levels. Not mandatory, though. Darkness uses your concentratoin.
>>
>>57424365
>Is your DM doing fucking whippits while playing?
You mean you don't?
>>
>>57422323
Sorcerer. It was a mistake.
>>
How do we fix whips?
>>
>>57429427
what's wrong with them?
>>
>>57424817
Sorlock builds are the best in the game mechanically. Twinned eldritch blast with hexblade curse and hex adds retarded damage. 2 attacks with a quickened Greenflame blade don't come close.
>>
>>57429427

Change from martial to simple

Done
>>
>>57429427
Added the special rule, can make a grapple attempt with them following normal grapple rules except the hand with the whip in it counts as a free hand if nothing is grappled with the whip.
>>
File: enchanted_forest.png (625 KB, 1000x500)
625 KB
625 KB PNG
Imagine for a moment, one player who has only played in very poorly thought-out railroads. Clunky combat, time spent stumbling over rules (which actively could have been avoided with any level of dry-rehearsal) and a total lack of interaction between the characters and the story. Frustrated with this perceived lack of quality, I have decided to be the change I want to see in the world.

I have established a date and time for a game I will DM many weeks in advance, and I'm going to shitpost, laying all my ideas out for you guys to critique, steal, etc. If anything, experienced or knowledgeable DMs are going to help a lot more than idle brainstorming. I've taken some youtube channels like Take20 and some of the videos from GeeknSundry to heart, and of course used the stuff you have stickied for the campaign. I'll start off with some of the tool specific shit I've done to try and make the interface less daunting and more accessible.

I plan on taking a quick 5 minutes to explain the different tools they can use on the actual tabletop, such as the ruler or the dice and whatnot. Maybe a quick "everyone do this" so they can teach each other if truly necessary. I'm probably going to leave the dry-erase markers they have out of the equation early on, and keep player control to their tokens, use the rulers to point at things, and of course, the dice rolling.

I've also been manually clipping pieces of the PHB to put inside their little accessible journals, and pieces of their character information or backgrounds. I feel like this will help a lot in terms of engagement and helping them gather that solutions to their problems as they arise. There's also something to be said for maybe in-game booklets, or some fun little things they can buy at the shop in addition to weapons and gear.

I'm definitely interested in any sort of macro-based assistance from my end, since the easier I can govern combat/skill checks, the more descriptive I can be during the proceedings.
>>
>>57429427
There's nothing wrong with them. Stop with your meme 'all weapons should be a viable choice on whatever character I choose to use them on'.
>>
>>57429524
1. Don't insult your players by forcing them to go through a 20 minute tutorial on how to use basic software. Tell them to play around in your campaign a bit before you actually run it so they can figure things out, then if they have questions about it in game, answer them. Assuming your players aren't as moronic as you are, they should be fine.

2. For macros, just use the shaped character sheets, and you can roll whatever you want from there.

3. You're focusing too much on technical issues and not actually on anything substantive for DMing.
>>
>>57429245
speaking of concetration, how good is shadow blade for a hexblade?

can you use it as a main weapon and add your modifiers to it/extra attack and/or use it with another light weapon for two weapon fighting (but I guess getting stuck with a light pact weapon to abuse it properly)?
>>
>>57429622
Eh. Stick with PAM.
>>
Going to be joining a 5e campaign this week and it'll be the first time playing since 3.5. How does this character sound?

>Character is a male (Red) Dragonborn Forge Cleric.
>Grew up an orphan in the city of Neverwinter (GM is setting the campaign on Summerset so have to stay in FR)
>Raised in an orphanage run by an old dwarf ex-adventurer who was a forge cleric himself way back when. Orphanage is kind of like a city-funded trade school of sorts. Kids get to not die, city gets skilled laborers when they're old enough to work.
>Characters resistance to heat made him a natural choice for training in blacksmithing, but became clear that he had talent going for him as well.
>Dwarf ends up adopting the kid himself, making him his personal assistant and apprentice. Dwarf also teaches him the ways and rites of the worship of the forge gods, claiming them to be able the secret to his work.
>Many years go by and character has become a proper craftsman in his own right, but still far behind his master, and has hit a wall in his work. Frustrated by his lack of progress, comes home one day and finds his old master waiting for him, a pack of adventuring gear leaning against the table beside him.
>Tells him he ought to go on a journey, see the world, gain some inspiration. If nothing else the time away from his workshop would give him time to reflect.
>He takes the advice, and leaves on his adventure.

Character himself is haughty and prideful, especially concerning his craft, but still a relatively good person, if for no other reason than youthful naivety. Alignment is Lawful Neutral; having a dwarf for a father figure had a significant impact on his morality, though there are still enough traces of his chromatic heritage in his subconscious that he can't really be qualified as capital-G Good.
>>
>>57429524
sounds helpful, just don't be too condescending or heavy handed.
>>
File: petulant_imp.png (169 KB, 500x282)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
In terms of ways I can manipulate the tabletop, I've got a couple of ideas.

I'm going to look into creating some kind of landing page at the beginning and ending of every one of my sessions. Something that describes what the time and date are in game, maybe tracking what happened last session, or possible goals that the group may have set for themselves. Perhaps I'll come up with a name and an image for the last session, maybe give the portraits for the current party, or a cumulative display of all their winnings, what might be in everyone's inventory, or random trivia about relevant pieces of information as they travel around the world. The landing page is something I can update periodically between sessions as well, since I'll likely be building battle maps and storyboards for things like towns and interactions.

Storyboards and battle maps. Right.

So I think there's going to be a lot in terms of leveraging the tabletop that you otherwise couldn't do with pen and paper. Entering cities can have little story board portions that hide a "map" of the town, as well as any pre-defined plot hooks that I employ, can be safely introduced and made more appealing (albeit not imperative) if some form of storyboarding is used. For example, if my party finds themselves slogging around in a tavern, an entry picture to the tavern could be provided. Amidst the quiet drinking and idle conversation, a blacksmith, painted with ash, could crash into the room. He would demand two pints of ale, and sit down. Another picture, perhaps with some sort of sound-boarded sound effect, could be leveraged. If ignored, then the blacksmith is simply a patron. The party doesn't have to interact with him, but I could add some blurb to the journal later about whispers of a blacksmith's daughter going missing. It can provide some level of atmosphere to the room as well, other than the warbling music in the background.
>>
>>57429120
>eldritch smite is not worth it
The on demand damage and prone is pretty nice, especially if you can set it up on your first attack, you next attack will have advantage. Synergizes with GWM and your hex.
>>
>>57429733
Sounds great actually. I had a character with a dwarf surrogate father before too and had him really prideful of Dwarvern ale over all other types.
>>
>>57429798
or you could focus on being the DM and actually prep for the section instead of dicking around with ambiance and trying to make this a video game.
>>
>>57429606
It's not so much a grinding 20 minute tutorial on how Roll20 works, but more like a quick rundown on both how the software works, as well as different things they may need to do while playing DnD. These are fresh players as well, who haven't really had a successful campaign online.

You're also only reading the first of many shitposts friendo.
>>
>>57429798
Little visual guides like maps and depictions of important buildings, objects and characters alongside sounds do fucking wonders but believe me you don't need as much as you're planning. The number one thing you need to keep in mind as a DM that no matter how many scenarios you think up the players WILL do something you didn't anticipate.
>>
>>57429857
Okay, you're fucked with that attitude. I can't wait to hear the inevitable shitpost from one of your players stepping up to take over.
>>
>>57429838
Alright I guess I'll run with it then. I've never really attempted to actually write a character before beyond "here's where they're from, here's what they do, and here's their alignment" before; I typically just let their interactions within the campaign shape their personalities but this one just kind of came to me.
>>
>>57429798
>focus 100% of prep on making extremely specific resources if the players follow rails
>players don't follow rails
>rest of session is stammering descriptions with more "ummmmm"s than content because you conditioned yourself to rely on pre drawn images.

Dumb.
>>
>>57429708
lol, ok.
>>
>>57429798
Ignore the other anons, as long as you have generally applicable pictures for shit like taverns the players are likely to enter sooner or later it all works out and makes it seem like you've conveniently prepared for exactly what the playerees would do, even if the players don't do what you expect.
And a before/after session screen with party inventory and other shit helps remind players of where they are and the items they have so they don't forget all the shit they'll probably forget.

Seriously, if you can do it, do it. Even if some of the preparation goes to waste, what matters is whether or not you get pissed if some of it goes to waste or if you can enjoy the preparing itself in anticipation.
>>
>>57429975
let's be fair, 40% of his prep will be on an unskippable tutorial on basic computer
>>
File: Fusselli.png (1008 KB, 2259x1872)
1008 KB
1008 KB PNG
>>57429798
I did a less complicated version of this in Maptools. I had a 'landing page' with my world map, the party's symbol marked at their current location. Other relevent info would be on this page, like letters they recieved, maybe tokens of important npcs and their names. Little reminders.

I also tried to have maps for important non-combat locations. The party's HQ, local taverns, maps of cities, etc. All of these were very visually oriented, not necessarily to scale or useful for battle.

For instance this is a map of a gnomish city. They didn't go to all of those locations, but just giving a visual helped give a feel for the place.
>>
Which battlemaster maneuvers are best for a greatsword wielding fighter? Feint and Precision look best for the synergy with GWM but Pushing and Riposte are also tempting, and my CHA is 14 so Rally doesn't seem awful either.
>>
>>57430287
what program?

because if you copy the layer with your title text and turn off border lines on the front copy it will look a lot cleaner but you still get that nice thicc outline
>>
>>57429195
Armor of Shadows is good if you have high dex, otherwise just get some good medium armour

Relentless hex is decent for gap closing, essentially it's a free misty step with a condition of having to have the target location be next to your target.

Maddening hex isn't worth it.

Agonizing blast could be good? But ranged isn't really your job, take it if you really need ranged though.

Devils sight isn't much use unless you really need dark vision since your concentration is best spent on Hex.

>>57429816
It doesn't Synergize or inhibit GWM/Hex it simply is.

You simply have too few spell slots to really make use of it since you'll want to have mirror image or armour of agathys up.
>>
>>57430297
I'd say, personally -
Commander's strike (Only if there's a rogue in the party, preferrably ranged)
Menacing Attack
Precision Attack (Unless you're really sure you're not going to have much to do with your bonus action other than GWM, which is unlikely. Also feint kinda sucks if other shit grants you advantage, might as well get tripping attack or simply shove the enemy)
Pushing attack
Riposte

A couple of others could be useful (Trip attack if you like self-granting advantage and are fine with grappling a target to stop them standing up, noting you then can't attack with GWM or perhaps parry for self-defence in a pinch) but eh.
>>
>>57429622
Not really useful at all, at best you can offhand it for a bit of extra damage.
>>
File: FolsdamKeep.png (571 KB, 1333x1414)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
>>57430436
The map was drawn in Maptools, the text and outlines were in photoshop. Yeah, I think the outline was set to 'center' instead of 'outside'.

I probably went overboard with outlining. I have an eye disease, I like high contrast on dark backgrounds, it's easier for me to see.
>>
In terms of worldbuilding, I'm probably going to set the campaign on a kind of frontier. Specifically, a recently discovered continent off the Sword Coast, past the Moonshae Isles. A sailing trip about 4 months into the Trackless Sea. This way, I could theme the introduction via the trip on the boat Morrowind-style, and give them a dock they can work off of. Certainly less cliche than 5 people meeting up in a tavern, and I can provide perhaps a flyer or a piece of mail that would initially rationalize the group of them starting the game together. It can also provide some fun piece of material before the actual session, maybe drum up hype and chatter before the game starts, etc.

This frontier of mine, which I've given the name Cintra, is broken up chiefly into 3 parts. Before the actual discovery of the settlement, the land was separated into those held by the Kobolds below, and those held by the Anima above. A War of the Splinters, as it was called, was constantly fought between the two factions over land ownership. A kind of hive-mind-by-proximity civilization by the Kobolds, and a magically powered fae civilization by the Anima. I can go further into detail about the history or culture of the individual factions, but the Civilized (them being the currently aware and available Faerun-based race and cultures), ended up invading the land pretty handily due to the constant battles between the Kobolds and Anima. It wasn't until a large section of the land was colonized by the Civilized before the two factions realized a ceasefire was necessary to preserve themselves in light of the aggressive and ceaseless march of the Civilized.
After some uneasy (and tenuous) peace accords were filed, trade routes started to form between the different factions.

I've always wanted to explore possible Kobold-based civilizations, and I've always found it bizzare that Treefolk as a trope were never explored past the single race Tolkien described. I'd like to see some Fungi-folk.
>>
>>57430468
>It doesn't Synergize or inhibit GWM/Hex it simply is.
Not them, but advantage gives a better chance of landing GWM's +10 and more reason to use hex alongside GWM's +10 considering it's not really worth using that +10 when your attacks deal a lot of damage anyway. It also boosts crit chance which works nicely with hex since that's a damage die deal.

I'd say eldritch smite is worth it if you can make other teammates benefit from a prone enemy or you want to move away from an enemy after smiting them so they can't reach you (since they spend half their movement to stand up, works well with PAM too since they'd have to move back into PAM reach) and it recovers some of that pushing utility lost from avoiding EB.
Still a better idea to get repelling blast and EB instead.
>>
>>57430482
Our party as of right now is a lore bard, scout rogue, and a ranger (unsure of subclass, revised too methinks.) Commander's Strike sounds good for our scout so I'll grab that. I'll probably get Precision over Feint just in case our partys bard grabs stuff Faerie Fire. For my last one, should I get Riposte or Menacing?
>>
Can we get one thread next time?
>>
>>57430642
Look closely at the other OP and you'll understand.

Fucking mods still haven't taken it down after like 3 days.
>>
>>57429975
>Basic Tavern
>Cave Formation
>Maybe a basement
>Maybe a church
>Maybe a random shop or two
>Maybe some guild building
>Maybe 1-2 house descriptions internally
>some wooded paths with monster encounters

I think you're confusing active places that they have to go because of some shitty plotline, as much as providing more locations and people they can travel to, and preparing basic possible types of buildings they can travel to. It's less about picking specific locations they have to travel to, as opposed to throwing some basic exit plans for when they go in some unpredictable direction in a longer campaign.

>>57430287
I'm thinking about using the Skyrim icons for buildings in the town, providing labels and such, and then applying pre-prepared basic infrastructure to building types as the game goes on.
>>
File: Go Ahead.jpg (133 KB, 936x460)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>57430764

>reported each shadshit thread
>reported each post that advertised one
>get temp banned

The mods don't care
>>
The DM guide says to start with a home base, which will be this "port town" after the boat ride from the mainland. Surrounding it, I'm going to flesh out 3-4 different encounters, (again, general building blocks that I can swap out monster-wise should I need to recycle the content later) and provide small hints to them throughout the session to see if one of them sticks. (If not, then it's no big deal. The random shit in the city fleshed out, along with some monster encounters outside the town can provide the general direction in which they want to go.)
>>
>>57430901
I've been reporting them too.
Shad's illegal content.
>>
>>57422323

NEW THREAD

>>57430790
>>57430790
>>57430790
>>
>>57425644
>>57425665
But you do get one free object interaction per turn, so you can still draw a weapon. As it stands, by RAW, >>57425622 can drop the long bow and draw one of the two scimitars. The other scimitar would be an action to draw, because the object interaction is spent drawing your first sword.

(Drop being the focus. You can literally drop the long bow and its free, but if you tried to store it / keep it on your person, you would be spending an object interaction and therefore not able to draw your swords.)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.