[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: osrg03.jpg (512 KB, 1667x2048)
512 KB
512 KB JPG
Welcome to /osrg/, the Old School Renaissance General! Here we discuss editions of Dungeons and Dragons from the TSR era, as well as retroclones of those editions and other games and material basically, more or less, sorta, hopefully, compatible with them.

>Trove:
http://pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
http://pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
http://pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L
>Previous thread:
>>57929177

Thread Question:
What do you run, if anything? A megadungeon, a hexcrawl, a series of modules, a campaign, or some combination of these?
>>
Anyone ran/played in a successful online campaign? Any tips? I'm this close to giving up any hope of getting a real life group going because nobody can commit to anything apparently.
>>
More like Old School Bervival

>What do you run, if anything?

The occasional one shot, it's hard enough to get a OSR game going in the first place
>>
>>57945496
A stitched together frankenstein of module adventures. I have both too much material (stuff I want to run) and too little (actually prepped). I've got four players but one of them rarely shows up. Fortunately, his character is as flakey as he is (anarchist thief from another continent) so it's no problem.
>>
>>57945496
I was running a long LotFP campaign. But everyone's busy with college again, so I just do the occasional one shots now and then. I've been itching to run ASE.
>>
Anon from last thread here:
>>57933172

Would still love some suggestions, and would especially love some suggestions on modules that would help

Keep in mind in each world the party needs to find some sort of portal key, so we need some overarching goal for each world

I'm an uncreative fuck I'm so sorry OSRG
>>
>>57945595
Try out Courtney's revision of HotDQ, it's pretty neat.
>>
Yo, anon who was asking for stuff on African-themed hexcrawls, I stumbled upon this. See if any of it's useful to you.
https://whatwouldconando.blogspot.com/search/label/Africa-land
>>
Is Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells an OSR?
>>
>>57945657
HotDQ?
>>
>>57945733
>Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells is a sword and sorcery rules light role playing game with an old school spirit.

Signs point to no, then.
>>
What's the best obscure OSR game?

I know it's kinda an oxymoron to say obscure OSR game, but the obscure of the obscure is still obscure
>>
>>57945496
What do you think that wizards thinking in that pic

>>57945520
>Anyone ran/played in a successful online campaign?
Yes
>Any tips
I hate saying it, but there's no "tips", you get lucky. Either you find a group of nice people that you don't mind playing with, or you find yet another furry ERP group
>>
>>57945835
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea doesn't get enough love
>>
>>57945835
Swords & Wizardry Light/Continual Light
That other 2e clone that isn't FG&G
>>
File: BeefBoi.png (176 KB, 241x314)
176 KB
176 KB PNG
We're making beef boy a meme, like it or not

He'll be the new Milhouse if he needs to be
>>
>>57945873
Read through it recently, and fell in love

Why don't people talk about it more? It's a neat, concise 1e clone with a simple skill system. If anything it's the LoTFP to AD&D, a simple game in a tight package
>>
>>57945862
>. Either you find a group of nice people that you don't mind playing with, or you find yet another furry ERP group
That's not either/or.
>>
>>57945923
No idea, but I'm sorry you fell in love with it because you'll never find anyone to play it with sadly.
>>
>>57945496

Maze of the Blue Medusa while I prep my own module.

>>57945520
See above. Not only online, but text based *and* with good pace. It's taken me five years to find a good enough group to manage that.
>>
How much should the local temple charge for a Revive spell
>>
>>57945923
There's not much in the way of module support for it compared to other systems. Despite what people say about OSR, nobody wants to take any amount of time to convert stuff for it. And most people won't try a system if they have to build an adventure from scratch right off the bat
>>
>>57945774
Hoard of the Dragon Queen.
>>
>>57945938
Anon, I can fall in love with you
>>
>>57945923
Name sounds weird and overly tied to Conan. As someone who has never read Conan and probably wouldn't like it, I can't say I'm enthused about playing a game focused on that.
>>
>>57946006
>local temple
>revive
>>
>>57946036
Why are you even in the OSR thread if you love Pathfinder so much?
>>
>>57946036
It's really not tied to Conan, give it a shot
>>
>>57946089
Not him, but what the fuck?
>inb4 "it's bait anon"
>>
>>57946051
Yes. How much would they charge
>>
How do you guys handle XP. Do you count it up as the session goes? Do you convert GP to XP when they get to town or spend it?

Or are you a filthy heaven and use a milestone system?
>>
>>57946130
>local temple
>revive
>>
>>57946160
Dude, repeating your memey greentext isn't helping anyone.
>>
>>57946160
Yes. How much would they charge
>>
Mansefag, if ever we needed a class... >>57945899
>>
>>57946118
it's bait anon chill
>>
>>57946201
Do you think Yoshi gets embarrassed?
>>
>>57946157
I generally keep track of what they've found in the dungeon that delve. I typically assume that they'll sell anything they find unless they specifically tell me otherwise or it's a weapon or magic item. When they get to town, that's usually the end of the session, so I count up the treasure, figure out sale prices, and give them the XP then. If they want to keep something they can, and they'll get their XP when they trade it or use it. Though I suppose I could always just give them the XP when they get to town regardless and let them figure out what they're keeping. If they don't have a place for it that's another matter though.
>>
Skerples, what is your preferred system for running Tomb of the Serpent King

Also do you have any actual play sessions

I also posted this in another thread by mistake and feel like a complete and utter retard. Guess I'm just spreading the good word of Skerples
>>
>>57946183
A magic item and a Quest* spell.
*You have to pay for the Quest.
>>
>>57946179
>>57946183
Fine, I'll spell it out more clearly.

Local temples don't have anyone who can revive people. There may or may not be a person who can or a place that can somewhere in the world, but that's up to the DM and either way it's far away and would take basically an entire adventure.

As for prices, if you decide to have some? Either "more than you can afford" or "do this quest for me".
>>
>>57946239
He posts play reports in his blog, I don't believe he records them or anything
>>
>>57946201
Not sure. Ask me when I've made money off it.

Layout is the biggest time sink and requires the most expertise. Getting a PDF up is one thing; getting it ready for printing is another, and it's a specialized skill. Despite all the "bestselling RPG author" memes, I'm 1/3rd of the way to breaking even on art+editing for KtA. I've sold enough copies that I'd need to book a venue to host everyone, but not enough that I'd need to get catering. Even discounting my own time, I'm not likely to break even on it for ages, let alone turn a profit.

But there are lots of people that put up lazily formatted PDFs for a few bucks and make a decent living at it. So if you want my advice, if your goal is to make a lot of money, pick some clickbait generic title and throw a few d100 tables in a PDF.

But if you want to get respect or feel good about yourself... you need to put the hours in. It's not just about the money, it's about producing a product you feel good about, and that you can honestly recommend to people.
>>57946190
Do it.
>>57946157
Convert GP to XP when the PCs are safe. Could be safe enough to bury treasure in the ground, safe enough to sleep, or spend money in town.
>>57946006
A fuckton of money or something. Otherwise, why doesn't this spell dominate the setting?
>>
>>57946262
What if it's a high magic world
>>
What would the stats for namefags in /osrg/ be

I know you're reading this post, Jeremy
>>
>>57946201
>>57946239
He has a blog with an email address. If you have questions, anime recommendations, or song recommendations for him you can send them there instead of shitting up the thread with circlejerk posts.

>>57946296
And fuck you for encouraging them.
>>
File: sutag-jaram-sandcastle.jpg (730 KB, 1163x1250)
730 KB
730 KB JPG
>>57946239
>what is your preferred system for running Tomb of the Serpent King
I use a horrible hacked-together GLOG homebrew. It works. I like it. You should use whatever system you prefer; it's not system-specific, and I don't think system choice has much of an impact on the dungeon experience.
>Also do you have any actual play sessions
All on the blog. Check the index.
>Guess I'm just spreading the good word of Skerples
I feel sullied and unusual.
>>57946271
I tried, but when I played the tape back it was just static and faint bloodcurdling screams. So... I don't do that anymore.
>>
>>57946303
Then it's a high magic world. Doesn't change anything about my answer.
>>
>>57946319
I thought Jeremy was a meme?
>>
File: a.jpg (105 KB, 431x492)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Is there a 1d100 Table of Horrible Accusations out there somewhere? Crimes the PCs could be accused of but didn't commit?
>>
>>57946348
None that I know of. But let's take a moment to appreciate Space Dragons.
>>
Help, how do I make an adventure
>>
>>57946348
Check out Tales of the Dungeonesque & Grotesque. He probably has something to that effect in his "gothic D&D" pdfs.
>>
File: 1304485554531.jpg (78 KB, 753x550)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>57945977
>Maze of the Blue Medusa while I prep my own module.
What's your module about?
>>
>>57946358
>>57946208
>>
>>57946036
>As someone who has never read Conan and probably wouldn't like it

Are you aware that Conan the Meme bears only vague resemblance to Conan the character of short stories? >>57940840

Here, check out one of the early Dark Horse Conan comics by Busiek, they manage to get the guy right. (It's a shame Dark Horse's output went downhill so badly)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/nlomhs
>>
>>57945496
Ironwood Gorge with the Bone Hilt Sword Campaign shoved in and Stonehell once I find a place for it.
>>
>>57946398
Start with a concept (cursed vampire castle) or a setpiece (peasants fleeing through grainfields from a weretiger). Expand from there.
>>
File: osrg.jpg (59 KB, 575x540)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>57946114
You can't tell someone to give a game that nobody will run a shot.

Last time I tried drumming up any interest in AS&SH, I only got one guy. Then it turned out he thought it was a DCC adventure anyway.

>>57945496
I'm doing DCC but it's just been a series of loosely strung together published modules and OPDs. Haven't really figured out if it's worth trying to do a campaign with a system that lends itself so well to being episodic like old sword and sorcery stories.

>>57946036
>>57946434
Reading any Conan story that isn't written by Robert E. Howard is a mistake. The Dark Horse comics are alright though.
>>
File: yang-wang-image031.jpg (337 KB, 1920x1080)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
>>57946398
c
>>57946450
But also read a lot of reviews. Negative ones, ideally. Figure out what common mistakes are and don't do that. Minimal read-aloud text. Don't use the module to disguise your failed novel. Edit down, not up.
>>
>>57946464
I'll play with you anon
>>
Is Tomb of the Serpent King actually a good introductory module, or has Skerples just shilled it so much he's brainwashed people into thinking its good?
>>
>>57946398
Location based adventure just needs a neat location (For example, an ancient city overrun with werewolves due to a cult gaining control of it). Flesh out the setting, and you don't need particularly deep characters

Character based adventures need a charismatic and hard to reach bad guy, but less planning needed for the individual locations. Generally, your heroes will be more reactive, so you can drag them from hamlet to dungeon to city just by leaving a trail of breadcrumbs: a lieutenant, a dead NPC, et cetera.
>>
>>57946464
>The Dark Horse comics are alright though.

Yep. Much of the early ones are direct adaptations of the Howard stories, and they did their damnedest to be faithful, which I like. They started getting off course with later writers after Busiek left, sadly.
>>
>>57946500
It's a good module, but not a good introductory module. Choosing a module to start your group off with is more of a "pick your poison" kind of deal.
>>
>>57946500
None of his players learned any of the lessons and it's an awful module to run as a rookie referee.

Stargazer is better for new players and referees alike, both in term of 'lessons' and their delivery.
>>
>>57946532
>But not a good introductory module
Why?
>>
>>57946500
It's a decent intro to OSR style play (low hit points, save or die traps that require the player to be checked in rather then winging it)

It's a little cliche, but then again it doesn't have any pretensions of being anything more then a dungeon module that escalates in difficulty the further down you go.
>>
>>57946500
Bryce gave the shitty non-edited 1.0 version an 11/22... which is fair.
G+ humans seem to like it. Some of the play reports were good. Some guys translated it into French and German. And people I haven't met keep shilling it on FB and reddit.
So either /lots/ of people are idiots (which is, given the evidence of the last few threads, completely possible), or I'm onto something. Only one way to find out.
>>57946464
Here's a great one to start with, if anyone wants to get into Conan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_of_the_Black_Circle
>>
>>57946542
It came off pretentious to me.
>>
>>57946535
Isn't stargazer not really OSR though? It has no wandering monsters
>>
>>57946559
Shhh, Raggi drones are patrolling.
>>
>>57946539
c.
>>57946535
Though I disagree with the second half of that post. It's not bad, but the lesson is very much,
"be a paranoid freak all the time."
>>
>>57946408
A lost city once thought mythical reveals itself by way of a call for help. As I've long since learned, players can't resist the call of "ancient ruin full of gold that invites people in", no matter how often it seems to get them killed. So now I get a reason to have people dive into a mythical city on the cusp of civil war.

What I've got so far is giving me a Fallen London vibe, which I *think* is a good thing. That's probably not super informative of an explanation, but I'm working on it still. Structuring things out is interesting. Working with BF RPG as my basis for rules but should work just fine with anything.
>>
>>57946535
>None of his players learned any of the lessons
I'll object to that; some of them learned and are doing great. Some of them learned but decided dying in hilarious ways was more fun. Can't say I blame them.
>>57946542
>It's a little cliche,
It's a lotta cliche. I wrote it to be as cliche as possible. Can't enjoy the weird gonzo stuff if you don't have a reference point.
>>
Everyone's always asking for introductory adventures, but I always just use some 0-level funnels from Dungeon Crawl Classics for mine. Tweak them a bit for whichever system you're using, but otherwise they seem to go over well.
>>
>>57946581
>players can't resist the call of "ancient ruin full of gold that invites people in", no matter how often it seems to get them killed.
True facts.

So it's more of a city-crawl then, or is it all set in one big temple complex or something?
>>
>>57946559
Let's take a moment to appreciate that he we had to yell at Skerples to get him to have a real table instead of
>This level also contains wandering monsters. Use whatever rolls you prefer. They are attracted to noise, light, and heat. They won't move to the upper layers of the dungeon.
>>
Where is Asia in Greyhawk?
>>
I've been going through Bryce's "the best" catalog, and ychn the tyrant and the following come with high praise. However, it doesn't really say anything as to how they run. Anyone have any comments on them?
>>
>>57946581
BFRPG is a good basis.

Be sure to add a couple of "weenies", areas that can be seen from anywhere in the city to orientate the players
>>
File: Exeter.jpg (58 KB, 320x240)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>57946678
>weenies

You mean landmarks?
>>
File: KSBD55color.jpg (2.54 MB, 1600x2473)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>57946644
V1.0 was pretty much "you guys want this in a PDF? Well FINE! Have it in a PDF!" I put it together in ~2hrs total, including maps.

But I did learn a lot from the design process though. Gotta keep learning and improving.
>>57946614
Funnels are great too!
>>
>>57946646
To the East.

>>57946655
Bryce is kind of an armchair DM. He still makes valid points though.
>>
File: glowing_cave.jpg (147 KB, 870x581)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>57946637
I'm pulling some inspiration from Veins of the Earth since I finally got a copy of it and setting it up as something of an expedition-meets-citycrawl. The old "thoroughfare" to the surface, so to speak, is long since collapsed and repurposed, so to *get* there involves exploring through its ruins as small dungeons and caving sections, leading to the city proper, at which point it goes more city-crawl. (I'd be happy to hear some references for modules/books that did city crawls right, by the way; I have a copy of Vornheim and detest it.) It's on the long end as far as length goes, at least in what I have planned out... but frankly, even if I'm the only one that ever uses it and it's too long for anyone else, I'll still be satisfied.

>>57946678
I'm working on putting others in besides the "Glass Sun". I've kinda been bouncing around since I have too much going on IRL to focus on writing heavily.
>>
File: Index Disappointed.gif (978 KB, 356x201)
978 KB
978 KB GIF
>>57946694
http://theoryofthemeparks.blogspot.com/2015/08/wayfinding-in-themed-design-weenie.html

Nope. "Weenies" is the correct term.
>>
>>57946727
>Disney
Into the sphere of annihilation it goes.
>>
>>57946727

They've been called "landmarks" for hundreds of years, I'm describing a world here, not a theme park. FOE, GYG.
>>
File: Mortal Kombat meat.png (197 KB, 479x367)
197 KB
197 KB PNG
>>57946190
>>57946296

WHAT THE FUCK IS A BEEF BOY

How are you supposed to make a class of a meme you don't get???
>>
>>57946727
OK but stat your railgun
>>
File: t3_5ciux3.jpg (675 KB, 3388x1756)
675 KB
675 KB JPG
>>57946778
I'd argue that dungeon/module design is closer to theme park design than naturalistic cataloguing of terrain.

Steal from the Disney people. They've been designing stuff for years.
>>
>>57946778
>>57946727
Now I want to make a dungeon that is some wizard's insanely deadly theme park.
>>
File: DeadlyBoi.png (23 KB, 542x771)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>57946804
The entire joke is that it looks funny and isn't a soyboy
>>
>>57946804
It looks like a /v/ meme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAA1yPqCvo
>>
File: BEEF.png (1.67 MB, 1583x925)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>57946190
>>57945899

guess who is still around

it me
>>
File: BKdDn47.gif (1.99 MB, 339x268)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>57946859
>>
>>57946859
I think I get how to read the table, but what's the difference between T, T*, D and D*?
>>
Rolled 5, 5 = 10 (2d6)

>>57946870
What alignment do I need to be to turn robots? That's my alignment. Get ye gone.
>>
>>57946804
Nothing really, he just looks goofy. He's the opposite of a soyboy I guess

>>57946839

Nothing to do with /v/, just found the picture and related very heavily withit
>>
>>57946889
Tenderloin, T-Bone, Deshuesada, Diezmillo, respectively.
>>
>>57946859
well fuck
>>
>>57946778
>FOE, GYG

Is this the new skidaddle skidoodle meme?

Or is that beef boy?
>>
>>57946859
Well, you need to actually do a soyboy now.
>>
>>57946976
o shit
>>
>>57945496
Started as a module, turned into a basically-hex crawl, I've got a megadungeon in there but the players won't go near it. LotFP with modifications. Everyone's at level 5ish now, so its starting to get more explore the world. Feels good.

Also want to do a different campaign entirely now that I and my players have some idea of what the fuck we're doing, but this one is going well so I have to wait.
>>
File: Gamer kid wizard.jpg (38 KB, 406x492)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Is it spells per day, session, or adventure?
>>
If you were going to add/change/rename stats, what would they be?
>>
>>57947085
Per day.
>>
>>57947096
Charisma is now Moxie
>>
>>57947085
>>57947098
um excuse me sweetie but real D&D players allowed unlimited spells per day rather than kowtowing to Gygax's """""errata"""""
>>
File: spell lost.png (17 KB, 232x39)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>57947085
Per bad roll
>>
File: soy boys.png (754 KB, 1583x797)
754 KB
754 KB PNG
>>57946976
>>
File: pic1326784.jpg (382 KB, 900x1165)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
Who here has actually ran DCC? How was it? Fun? Shit? I got some tax return burning a hole in my pocket and it looks pretty awesome.
>>
>>57945496
>Thread Question
Greyhawk, post wars in 586CY
Characters started in Yeomanry with the obligatory Keep (reworked), delved into a dungeon of my own making and got teleported (via an ancient aerdy one way gate) that left them in the old Holy See of Medigia.... not much 'holy' about the place nowadays. Theyre basically murder hobos crossed with Robinhood and are carving out their own territory one sorta-good deed at a time. Been going on for about 6 months now and everyone loves it
>>
>>57947193
I'm fucking dead.
>>
>>57947096
Wisdom is now More Intelligence
>>
>>57947201
It's fun, not OSR, but not for everyone. Just run a funnel and a level 1/2 adventure using the Free RPG Day quick start rules.
>>
>>57947201
It's fun, overpriced, and also not OSR.
>>
>>57947096
Strength is called Grip Strength.
>>
>>57947201
Of my four characters, Red shirt was killed instantly, then reanimated as a Zombie and murdered Jerry Seinfeld.

I've never played longterm with DCC, so I couldn't tell you how it plays after the funnel.
>>
>>57947265
>>57947254

>The Old School Revival, Old School Renaissance, or simply OSR, is a movement among players of tabletop role-playing games (especially Dungeons & Dragons) that draws inspiration from the earliest days of tabletop RPGs in the 1970s.

>draws inspiration

DCC is OSR. Sorry.
>>
>>57947318
I agree but I didn't want to trigger the autists
>>
>>57947318
Shove off, wikipedia shill. Also, by that metric, torchbearer and dungeon world are osr, and the black hack, and so on and so forth. So...it's meaningless. Non osr-games should be discussed here if they meaningfully contribute to the discussion, usually accomplished by having them be inspired by old school play.
>>
>>57947318
This just in. 5e is OSR confirmed.
>>
>>57947372
WotC tried its best at making it so.
>>
File: 1512947395293.jpg (99 KB, 1067x683)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>57947193
Fuck, I haven't laughed that hard in weeks.
>>
>>57947193
Finally, we can all play soyboys and sorcerors
>>
File: head_roll.gif (832 KB, 500x323)
832 KB
832 KB GIF
>>57943881
Gimmicks are marketing ploys. Maybe take a look at the definition of "high concept".
>>
>>57947461
I prefer Advanced Sirloins & Soycerors
>>
>>57947491
False OSR* Enthusiast, get ye gone.

*Original Soy Rib
>>
What classless systems can emulate OSR games?
>>
File: 1453148974315.png (344 KB, 309x584)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
>mfw there are people posting in /osrg/ who've not read every book from Appendix N
>>
How can I incorporate wandring monsters into Tower of the Stargazer
>>
>>57947437
I think it kinda failed, players always have enough resources to fuck shit up so they dont even look for clever ways to things. at least in wotc adventure modules
>>
How do I do wandering monsters? Do I just roll a d20 every time the party walks into a new room? Do I have them do patrols, advancing a room each time the parry advances a room?
>>
>>57947670
>How do I do wandering monsters?
I wouldnt bother; theyre usually inexperienced and i usually have to finish myself
>>
>>57947670
A lot of classic dungeons have a 1-in-x chance of them coming up whenever players enter a room or spend a turn doing something.

I prefer patrol route design, but it requires a bit more work, especially if there's more then one patrol.
>>
>>57947265
>overpriced
>DCC

How is a single $25 book overpriced?
>>
>>57947652

They don't really fit thematically. It's not like a band of goblins is just gonna move into the scary wizard's tower that everyone's afraid of. Hell, it's above ground!
>>
>>57947759
It's not free
>>
>>57947670

Read the rules for your edition/clone of choice. It's usually a d6 rolled once every six
turns, which is one hour, and on a 1 you roll on the wandering monster table to see what's arrived.
>>
>>57947096
I use Brutal, Agile, Wise, and Charismatic for one of my games.

I've seen Moxie, Luck, Brawn, Wits, Calm, Mystical, Tough, Enduring, Endearing, and I few others I can't think of right now.
>>
Hex dungeons, y/n
>>
>>57947800
>once every six turns
That seems awfully rare to me. I usually use once every two turns when I actually remember.
>>
What is the best resource for tables and charts
>>
>>57947883
No. Squares for dungeons, hexes for campaign maps.
>>
What are the best adventures/dungeons/encounters to plop down in a hexcrawl?
>>
>>57948158
B4 The Lost City
>>
>>57947450
>white boots
>>
File: AliceWeb.jpg (102 KB, 564x800)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Speaking of Tomb of the Serpent King, how much do you have to adjust the gold amount for LotFP. Seeing as a gold piece is worth 50 xp, dividing by five seems about right, but I'm not sure.
>>57947340
same
>>
>>57945496

I'm planning on running a stitched together hexcrawl based around a fantasy Darkest Africa region. I'm intentionally trying to use existing material, as I am notorious for over prepping. It's an interesting exercise.
>>
>>57948486
Are you the anon who was asking about stuff last thread? If so, >>57945687
>>
File: fred-augis-relique.jpg (448 KB, 1920x1615)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
>>57947934
campaignwiki.org
or google
>>57948452
That's what I'd eyeball it at, sure.
>>
>>57948513
I just saw that. It's got some interesting stuff to be sure.
>>
>>57947732
>>57947800
I've been toying with the idea of having wandering monsters appear on a roll of 4-6, but roll for it every two turns instead. The reason to do 4-6 is so that I can roll on one of two different tables. On a roll of 4 or 5 you roll up some "normal" monsters like goblins, kobolds, maybe a skeleton or something. On a roll of 6, however, you might get special monsters like gray oozes, thieving gremlins, etc.
Would this be a bad idea in practice, making wandering monsters more common? Would I be better served by sticking to 1-in-6, d8+d12 for generating random encounters?
>>
How would you prep for a (hexcrawl-ish) wilderness exploration adventure?
The ultimate goal is conquering the region, which is mostly wild: there's just a couple of (human) villages around and nomads roaming the plains. There are supposed to be quite a few dungeons/barrows around. There's also an invading army that's trying to conquer the place too (and whom the PCs will probably want to fight at some point).

Aside from (also, what and how exactly would you prepare these) the important locations, important NPC, encounter tables, what else would you prepare?
Also I'm making a few small and large dungeons to throw in as the party goes exploring.
>>
>>57947670

I've stolen some of these rules from Goblin Punch, with a few modifications.

You roll 1d20. On a roll of 1-3, that's a random encounter. It's equal to a 15% chance, or slightly less then a 1 in 6 roll.

For every unit of encumbrance you have, pack animals brought into the dungeon, extra hirelings, or light spells, you're drawing more attention to yourself and increase this range by +1. So if you're heavily burdened at the end of your dungeon exploration trip and are now leaving, you could get a random encounter on a 5, 6, or even higher.

Then there's another range for positive or advantageous encounters- Only on a 19 or 20. You either come across a set of tracks, droppings, or empty monster lair that gives you hints about what's out there stalking you, or you could come across a sleeping or occupied monster that you could get a surprise round attacking or just sneak away from. This range increases by +1 per Rogue in the party; so if you have two Rogues you'd get an advantageous encounter on 17 or higher.
>>
>>57947773
>band of goblins in tower of the star gazer
Might actually be kind of fun if there were some goblin things that got in ahead of the players. Having a dead goblin from poison outfront the door makes the telegraphing really overt. And they can maraud around being goblin assholes, breaking stuff and losing games with the ghost. Basically just being there to make it really, really obvious how not to go through the tower if you want to live.
>>
>>57948951
ah, fuck forgot to ask this
>How would you run the things that 'should be happening' elsewhere - for example the movements of the enemy army while the PCs are jerking off 200 miles away; or when the enemy commander decides to attack, etc...
>>
>>57946559
I’m the one who mentioned that... that doesn’t make it OSR, but when I switched to OSR I made sure to pick something that had a variety of monsters to show off the new features compared to 5e, which are reaction rolls and morale checks, and tracking time and light. You don’t get those in an empty dungeon that you can explore at your leisure.
>>
>>57948966
Establish a timeline of battles that MIGHT occur. Roll dice to determine the outcome of a skirmish or battle, whether or not a commander decides to go forward with a plan, so on and so forth, and then adjust the timeline accordingly.
>>
>>57948867

Seems like you'd have a lot of wandering encounters then, and it'd be hard to get anywhere in the dungeon without constant interruptions.
>>
>>57948951
Map for me with lots of space and a few things plonked on it. Or ideally some variation on the Beyond the Wall campaign map.

Index card for each local village/whatever with who's in charge, who's really in charge, who's the law, who's the not law, what's up with the local religion, socioeconomic generalization, and a few bits about the place.

A few short dungeon or even just lairs for the barrows. Read over these, make notes, have maps handy.

Random encounters for each major biome, either as a table, or rolled and written out on an index card before hand. I like index cards.

Weather table. List of landmark words. List of questions for the players as they wander around. List of names. What ever random tables that catch your fancy.

>>57948966
I basically use fronts from apocalypse world. Lets the world have things happen, players can get involved if they want or try to stay out of the way.
>>
What would you expect a spell titled "Escalate Magic" do?
>>
>>57949230
I'd expect it to escalate magic in some way, shape, or form.
>>
>>57949230

Increases any ongoing spell in spell power by one caster level? Typically with unsafe connotations. Magical fires quickly burn out of control, magical teleport rings set up in the wizard's guild now start randomly sucking in nearby things and teleporting them all over the place, etc?
>>
>>57945496
Question about OD&D. Would i set what number a thief needs to successfully hide in shadow? Also spells do players/monsters get saves for damage spells like fireball?
>>
File: 1517790441357.jpg (1.08 MB, 1583x2113)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Hello /osrg/ I am very new to role-playing and old school gaming in general and have one question I could really use help with. Tonight I am going to be playing Swords and Wizardry core rules and still don't understand how to do weight for equipment? Why isn't there a specific weight for each item onthe equipment table. Can I please get some help. Thank you in advance. =]
>>
Are the hexcrawls in NOD Magazine any good?
>>
I'd like to get into this but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the options. Also do you have any advice for players who are used to more modern rpg?
>>
>>57946778
>FOE, GYG.
anyone who uses that phrase should be shot out of a cannon
>>
Anyone got the Heroic Fantasy Handbook? Came out last week: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/autarch/heroic-fantasy-and-barbarian-conquerors-collection/description
>>
>>57949445
That's a good question. S&W White Box says that 10 pounds is a "normal" amount of equipment, but you'd think they'd itemize everything. Here's a list of equipment from Labyrinth Lord that could help you tie things down.
>>
>>57951249
>>57949445
Here's a list from Basic Fantasy to give you a choice.
>>
>>57949445
>>57951249
>>57951438
And one from AD&D
>>
>>57947085
I do spells per adventure-which-is-the-same-as-session. I don't want any attempts to rest and regain spells mid-expedition and the idea that it takes like a week to prepare spells makes perfect sense to me.
>>
File: encumbrance - stones.png (142 KB, 1322x1004)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>57949445
>>57951452
I'm a big advocate of a streamlined encumbrance system, however.
>>
File: encumbrance - lotfp.png (202 KB, 731x758)
202 KB
202 KB PNG
>>57951465
Another streamlined system, this time from LotFP.
>>
File: encumbrance - ACKS.png (421 KB, 1060x1402)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
>>57951465
>>57951478
And... an alternate "stones" system from ACKS.
>>
When lotfp says you can ”sprinkle” holy water, is doing that supposed to use up the whole flask?
>>
File: retroclones differences.png (72 KB, 1197x379)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>57950104
You mean into OSR in general?

A Basic D&D clone isn't a bad place to start, even if you intend to eventually move onto something AD&D-related. From there, it's mostly just a question of what tweaks you want (though it bears mentioning that you can always steal mechanics from other games, like Swords & Wizardry's single-category saves, for instance). Moldvay/Cook Basic (B/X -- the Basic that was put out in 1981) seems to be the most cloned by a significant amount, and it's popular here on /tg/, so take that as your starting point. If you're okay using a PDF, or you're willing to pay a chunk of change for a used copy on eBay, then B/X, itself, is a good choice. Otherwise, if you're wanting to stay pretty faithful to it, then maybe check out Labyrinth Lord.* If you want to split race and class, and use ascending rather than descending AC, then maybe Basic Fantasy is for you. You want single category saves, and split race and class? Swords & Wizardry Core, or Swords & Wizardry White Box if you're looking for something very minimalist.** If you want to go further afield and are cool with a gritty, late medieval to early modern horror vibe, then maybe look at Lamentations of the Flame Princess.*** Etc. But when in doubt, start with B/X and work your way out from there.

*Its Advanced Edition Companion also gives you the ability to more easily transition to the greater number of options offered by AD&D (while at least partially reducing the clutter and clumsy, needless complexity of AD&D).

**Yes, these are technically OD&D clones, but they fall on the Basic side of the complexity divide.

***I'd be a bit leery of starting out with LotFP because it's doing its own specific thing, but it's worth looking at its innovations, like its d6-based specialist (thief) skills and encumbrance system, etc.
>>
>>57951714
I would assume.
>>
>>57950104
Start with Labyrinth Lord, then try LotFP or Dungeon Crawl Classics. This is how 90% of people get into OSR.
>>
>>57948343
I agree wholeheartedly. If your desert is too empty, put B4 in there.
>>
>>57950104
Use LotFP. It has Ascending AC (modern), a simple skill system, simple classes, the best 'rogue', and arguably the best encumbrance system. Once you get that down and play/run a few games you can start seeing what other systems have to offer.

>Slightly unrelated "LotFP style" 5e equipment sheet.
>>
>>57946303
Why would you go into temple anyway. Just break the guy out realm of the dead/heaven/hell. Way more intersting stuff than haggling with priests.
>>
>>57952480
Does anything have the improved encumbrance and better thief while maintaining separate race and class, or are those LotFP-only things?
>>
>>57952563
>Does anything have the improved encumbrance and better thief while maintaining separate race and class, or are those LotFP-only things?

The nice thing about OSR is that you can do that yourself. I know I did
>>
>>57952563
Technically, Stars Without Number, but that's because race in that game is just treated like a skill package, just like being a soldier or a pirate.

That being said, it's encumberance rules are amongst my favorites: Half strength for active inventory, full strength for stowed.
>>
>>57951965
This. Just find something and give it a try. Go from there.

I started with Castles and Crusades when I was invited to a buddy's game. Not really OSR but compared to 5E and FFG Star Wars it was a pleasant wake up call. Then I got to play DCC and Basic Fantay at a con and gone from there.

Hell just grab the free Basic Fantasy pdf and a one page dungeon and do a quick little adventure to get your feet wet.
>>
>>57952576
Yeah, I probably will. I just know there's dozens of games I don't know about that might have done it already.
>>
Do you write play reports? Does anyone care about them outside of the author of the adventure and the group that played it?

How do I write one? Is it meant to be a retelling of diegetic events, or include stuff like how the players felt about it, what they liked, and what they were frustrated by? The DM's opinion of the material and how easy it was to run, and what they would've changed?
>>
>>57952642
>>57952563
Of the ones I've read, Basic Fantasy has percentage thief skills (which personally I fucking hate) and carrying capacity in pounds (fuck that). Labyrinth Lord has the same. They're more direct clones of Moldvay I guess.

LotFP is the tightest shit.
>>
>>57952757
I dunno about tightest. There's some things it still screws up. Not terrible, though.
>>
>>57952576
>The nice thing about OSR is that you can do that yourself.
Not only that, but you can easily import shit from other OSR systems.
>>
>>57952853
>d20 thief skills
I'm alright with this. d100 is a piece of fucking shit that should ony be used for tables or percentages, never task resolution.
>>
File: thief skills ACKS.png (76 KB, 1059x494)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>57952853
>>57952878
ACKS also has roll-high d20 skills.
>>
But honestly, any thief skill system that doesn't improve their chance for success is, in my opinion, flawed.
>>
>>57952993
Should other classes be able to improve skills, or even just one skill?
>>
File: bfrpg-laspgasp.pdf (647 KB, PDF)
647 KB
647 KB PDF
>>57952563
Doesn't incorporate the LotFP thief, but here is a custom sheet for BFRPG I made that uses the encumbrance from LotFP.

It incorporates some stuff from the many supplements available on the webpage, like alternate classses, skill options, combat options, etc.
>>
>>57952961
That's the one by the neo-nazi right?
>>
File: skill system, d12.png (58 KB, 1030x1016)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>57953066
I'm okay with that. The only thing I'd try to avoid is having skills invalidate people who don't have them every trying anything.
>>
>>57948486
Did anyone recommend World of the Lost to you already? They must have, right?
>>
>>57953079
Yes
>>
File: 1510028987612.jpg (524 KB, 1222x1500)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
>>57952852
Like what? I'm about to start running it for the first time, and I want know what to look out for to posibly replace.
>>
So, let's say I wanted to make the lightest system possible without getting into Searchers of the Unknown levels of fucking unusable. I can think of the following features:

>At least fighter and M-U for classes
>Single hit die
>XP from treasure and monsters
>Way to generate treasure
>Morale rules (SotU is probably fine here)
>Movement/exploration rules
>Encumbrance
>Universal ability bonus table (or just a plain "if 14+ you get a +1 to whatever" like Gygax)
>Single saving throw with progression that makes sense
>Easy-to-remember formula for attack bonus (like LotfP's)
>Spell list that scales solely on level and fits into one page or less while not being useless (probably hardest part)
>A page of sample monsters
>>
>>57953079
>neo-nazi
>singular
What? ACKS developed by like 6 people with contributions from many more.
>>
>>57953355
Well the main credit. The one that it's "by". The others have a "with" credit.
>>
>>57953274
>XP from monsters
Any particular reason?

>Elf and Dwarf class? Or would you just reduce race to fluff?
>Make all weapons use d6s. 2h weapons use 2d6 keep higher. Small weapons are 2d6 keep lower.
>Hirelings, reaction checks, loyalty, etc >Resting, food, water? (unless you're lumping that in under exploration)

With all that I think you're fine.
>>
>>57953274
>Spell list that scales solely on level and fits into one page or less while not being useless (probably hardest part)
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this one, but otherwise, it sounds good.
>>
>>57953404
This rumour seems to have been spread almost entirely by scam artist Zak "Harassment Sexual" Sabbath.
>>
Your party wants to move East or West. However, your 6-mile hex map (and theirs, which they're building as they go) has true columns, not true rows. Do you:

>A. Force to them to go NW/NE/SE/SW and then the other way to their intended location.
>B. Make them go through one of the borders between two hexes (perhaps gaining info on both of the surrounding hexes...), counting as 12 miles. This may also cause problems if their move/day is lower than 12 miles.
>>
>>57953409
>Any particular reason?
Now that you mention it, yeah, it's too much of a hassle to include
>Elf and Dwarf class? Or would you just reduce race to fluff?
Probably. Good points on everything, thanks anon.
>>57953482
I mean like Wonders & Wickedness, to avoid having to include spell levels. The power of all spells that scale do so based off caster level.
>>
>>57953513
I mean, he's the main credit of ACKS. According to his own twitter, he's the CEO of Milo's company, you know, the poster-boy of thinly-veiled nazism and bad-faith arguments. Doesn't take any rumours to put figure out that puzzle. The only other alternative is that he's not a neo-nazi but is only collaborating with one because it makes him money.
>>
>>57953553
They move west according to their realistic speed, i.e. as the bird flies. But if you roll an encounter before they reach the next aligned hex, you randomize which one they happen upon. If they have different terrains, you tell them they see the terrain change and let them decide.
>>
>>57953561
I'm not familiar with Wonders & Wickedness, and I'd generally rather have spells have flat, non-scaling effects, but I'm not averse to having spell levels equal the level at which you gain access to them, however, so you don't need to consult a table to see which class/character level gives you access to which spell level.
>>
>>57953553
Just pick one of the hexes
>>
Gygax never played the Germans.
>>
>4 differently colored plants creep through the cracks in the walls. Eating a leaf from the plants will cause the following effects:
>Blue:
>Red:
>Orange:
>Green:
Any thoughts? I want something weird to happen but nothing comes to mind.
>>
>>57953719
Blue: you can see in the dark for 2d6 turns, but light hurts your eyes (-2 to all rolls in torchlight, -4 in daylight)
Red: next time you see an individual creature that you haven't seen before, you are charmed by them for 2d6 turns
Orange: you can smell gems through doors for 3d6 turns
Green: there is a 5' radius aura of silence around you for 2d6 turns
>>
>>57953719
>Blue
Save vs Magic or become unconsolably sad and useless for 1d6 turns
>Red
Save vs. Magic or attack the nearest living being for 1d6 rounds
>Orange
Save vs Magic or gain a +1 adjustment to reaction rolls for 1d6 days
>Green
Save vs Magic or you gain the magical compulsion to steal one specific possession from the nearest person, which lasts for 1d6 days
>>
>>57953780
These are all pretty cool, thanks

>>57953829
These are mostly too malicious, but I think I'll keep em for later in the dungeon. This is just on the first level with newer players, and I'd rather entice the players to eat weird shit early on and punish them for recklessness later.
>>
>>57945595
I'm a uncreative shilling fuck, help me more or I'll cry
>>
Is OSR good for any genre?
>>
>>57954044
You can also play with tone. For example, if the game is normally a super gonzo funhouse thing, give them a grimy early modern low fantasy world or a full Skerples setting where the cosmic order itself reflects feudalism.

Make stuff where the players can stay for a couple of sessions so you have more time to make more worlds, like a small hexcrawl. In fact, here goes an idea: an hexcrawl in a world littered with ruins and not a single sentient soul in sight. The players find out what messed it up so badly by exploring
>>
>>57954230
No, it's good for a very specific thing
>>
>>57954230
Not really, no. OSR tends to do pulpy low-power (whatever) well and that's as far as the versatility goes IMO. There's oddities like Godbound, but Godbound is firstly not really compatible with TSR materials (and thus not really OSR) and secondly a shitty Exalted 2e mimic that runs on duct tape and prayers
>>
>>57954230
>>57954270
Depends what you mean by "any genre"... like, genre of adventure fiction, or any genre of fiction including romantic comedy and war epic?

Speaking of which, are there any OSR set in a 20th-21st century tech level?
>>
File: super city spires.jpg (215 KB, 736x1225)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>57945595
>>57954044

A world where the bad guys win. Humans live on the outskirts and in the border lands, along the coasts and on shitty tidal islands and mountains. The fertile, beautiful lands are taken by fat, stupid orcs and trolls, who the beasts freely obey and present their necks for slaughter, but the mere smell of a human drives them into a hatred-induced frenzy against mankind.

Mirror world. Everything is dark, all the sources of light come from the "real" side of the mirrors you're travelling towards.

Make a different fantasy world, just with other beings, races, and gonzo elements like people riding on giant ants. Or perhaps a world where giant ants are the primary races.

non-magic or hard magic world. Magic is possible to cast by the PCs but drains your health and stamina to use it, do to the world being very mundane. Everyone here follows a machine like mind-god and dissension is death.

Totally untamed jungle/wilderness world. There are no creatures who can speak here, besides tricky monkeys that live in the ruins of a long last race. No towns, just wilderness hexcrawl endlessly.

Massive city scape world; everywhere you go is urban. Could be futuristic or fantasy based. Or maybe steampunk city with robot boiler people who think it's weird that you have flesh and blood but are pretty gentlemanly, so they aren't prejudiced or anything.

Pre-Biblical great flood style world, if you've seen the threads on that. Basically there's rain in this world, everything is just mist and fertile valleys, humanoid races are all wicked evil and greatly overpopulated in huge tent cities. Could even play with it by having players know about the flood ahead of time and having to finish their journey quickly, or by building an arc.

Desert Arabian Nights style worlds with genies and shit. Make everyone a lizard man for fun. Giant antlions and scorpions are threats, maybe they get a magic shield that they can use as a surfboard for the sand, etc.
>>
>>57954332
>Speaking of which, are there any OSR set in a 20th-21st century tech level?
Operation White Box, Skyscrapers & Sorcery
>>
File: Fantasy magic sword.jpg (64 KB, 736x460)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>57945595
>>57954044

World that is a psychic projection of either one person or a strange Arcadia true-fae kind of place. The beings there change reality around them based on their attention and whims, so pleasing or manipulating them is required else they trap you or change you into different, worse off forms.

Shrunk world. Set inside a single castle or building; everything is totally massive. Humans are like rats that live underneath the massive giants that hunt to eat them, turn them into dolls, etc.

Bridge world. Literally everything on this world is on a single endless bridge, covered in fog. Some parts of the path are thick and have a few buildings built along the side, some appear natural, and some are rickety suspension bridges that you can't cross if someone is coming the opposite way. Implied to have heaven on one end and hell on the other, so most people don't try to go all the way.

Mongol steppe world; take inspiration or directly steal Against the Wicked city's world for this.

Trash world. Everything is set on a dumping ground planet like a huge city waste dump; you can scavenge all kinds of shit here from the towers of trash. Lack of fresh air causes health problems and everyone wears masks to hold back the stench.

Japenese style world with Oni or anime influences. If that's too boring for you then give it a weird quirk, like it's groundhog day style where everything that happens just repeats each day, with the party being the variable.

Dark souls style world where everything is kind of dark or dead and requires some kind of alternate energy to fuel; life force or souls or heat or water. Party members have to collect and use this material in the world or perish like everyone else.

Cloud land. Everything in the world is up on flying islands that are only connected by training and riding gryphons and dragons, or magic airships.

Hope some of these gave you ideas.
>>
>>57954445
>Operation White Box
>WWII OSR
Mite be cool. Is that on the trove?
>>
>>57954332
>>
Why the fuck are these threads going so fast? Is this because of that G+ fiasco?
>>
>>57945521
>More like Old School Bervival

More like Gold Thru Survival
>>
>>57953162
Yes they have, it's a tad too scifi for my tastes but I can certainly make some minor changes to fix that.
>>
>>57954833
G+ Fiasco?
>>
The ACKSis did nothing wrong.
>>
>>57955206
ACKS is unironically the best "segway" OSR.
>>
Is there a good guide for doing hexcrawls
>>
>>57955111
Skerpshit linked the general in a G+ thread.

>>57955313
>>
OC
>>
How do you guys feel about handouts?
>>
>>57955397
To be fair, I seriously doubt that brought many people, some people refuse to check out this site due to /b/
>>
>>57951965

Quit lying to the newbies. DCC is not OSR. It is its own thing.
>>
File: Neat.gif (270 KB, 452x332)
270 KB
270 KB GIF
>>57955406
>>
>>57955478
What is with this meme of DCC not being OSR? Is it because of having 3e saves?

It's compatible with OSR, it has GP to XP, it has race as class, it was literally created as a book based off of appendix N
>>
File: Sample Expedition.png (3.92 MB, 5100x3300)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB PNG
>>57955313
>>
File: watchesbelowhandout.png (1.24 MB, 812x1050)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>57955440
If they're important or referenced a lot I'll hand them out, or on the rare occasion they actually alter a mechanic somehow. If it's just an image of riddle or some runes or something I typically won't bother and just show them the image in the book.
>>
>>57955532

Try running its modules with B/X, or vice versa. It may have similarities, but conversion is a lot more involved than say, "flip AC and go."

DCC modules are not useful to OSR system users, and OSR modules aren't useful to DCC GMs. Hence it's more OSR adjacent than properly OSR. Still pretty cool, though
>>
>>57955532
>It's compatible with OSR
Except for magic, spells, deed dice, action dice, over-reliance on DC N ability checks, and power level. Which is like 90% of the system.

And lest we forget: http://goodman-games.com/blog/2017/10/06/designers-diary-dinosaur-crawl-classics/
>Broncosaurus Rex is a 3.5e system, so most of the conversion work was about getting the right feel for DCC RPG
>>
File: IMG_2232.png (139 KB, 399x325)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
>>57953238
He's just meming you boy, loftp is as close to perfection as an osr product is going to get.
>>
What are some fun puzzle / RP rooms in a dungeon
>>
>>57955532
It's just autism.
>>
>>57955689
>ascending AC
>"perfection"
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>57955457
>some people refuse to check out this site due to /b/
Are you new to /osrg/ and /tg/? half the fucking industry have revealed accidentally or otherwise they post here, the White Wolf staff got caught attacking each other on /CofD/ multiple times.
>>
>>57955689

>raggi-fag impersonations

I find that offensive. We're a people, not a costume.
>>
What are some fun / interesting magic items?
>>
>>57955746
>implying ascending vs descending ac is nothing more than preference
>>
>>57955746
Why do you hate a superior system, luddite?
>>
>>57955812
"Fun" isn't OSR compatible.
>>
>>57955812
A skull that one per day will answer two questions. One answer will be false and one will be true.

>>57955851
Fuck off false-flagging Raggidrone.
>>
>>57954506
>>57954353
>>57954259

Thank you all very much

What should some portal keys / macguffins be in the worlds / where should they be?
>>
>>57955831
>implying ascending AC isn't a liberal meme
>>
>>57955831
Ascending AC is objectively easier to understand
>>
>>57955746
I can understand disliking AAC. I can't understand thinking that AAC = Objectively bad. Please explain.
>>
>>57956019
They're just memeing, which coincidentally, is the answer to >>57954833.
>>
>>57954330
>not really compatible with TSR materials (and thus not really OSR)
Can't really argue with that.

>a shitty Exalted 2e mimic that runs on duct tape and prayers
Bitch, I'll fight you.
>>
How terrible of an idea is this? Creature's that would ordinarily need a +1 or better to hit improve their AC by 1 and can be hit by non-magical weapons. Non-magical weapons only deal half damage and cannot reduce them below 1 hit point.
>>
>>57956119

I'll hold him, while you kick him!
>>
>>57956126
>what if I take this simple idea that works perfectly fine
>and replace it with a fiddly over-complicated "fix"
Think before you post.
>>
> Neckbeard starts using what normal man needs to hit something as a new stat.
> To maximize confusion, incompatibility, and general butthurt neckbeard calls new stat "AC"
>>
>>57956126
Just add 5e's resistance/vulnerability system in your game
>>
>>57954330

I don't understand why anyone considers Godbound as being OSR.
>>
>>57956227
Because it is, and your weird hateboner for it is pretty visible across these threads.
>>
Robin Hood as an NPC in LotFP: Fighter, Specialist, or reskinned Halfling?
>>
>>57956126
I prefer the "attacks on unhittable creatures" option on B25. It rewards cleverness rather than turning everything into a numbers game.
>>
>>57954230
Mechanically, and with the right house rules, maybe. The more you have to house rule the less it looks like other OSR games though. Some genres are just difficult to deal with.
>>
>>57956317
Fighter.
>>
>>57956227
I get why people would say it's not, and I get why people would say it is. "It's not compatible with TSR stuff" is a pretty strong argument against, but "It uses OSR design elements and principles to do something different with the medium" is a modestly good argument in favor. I don't think there's a good way to settle it.
>>
>>57955903
Now who's false flagging?
>>
>>57954332
Esoteric Enterprises, maybe? I don't know how finished that is, though.
>>
>>57956227
>>57956376

It's built on an OSR framework of rules, though it's moved far enough away that while you could run an OSR module in Godbound, it would be a cakewalk, and you can't reasonably run a Godbound module in an OSR system anymore, because they largely focus on divine powers that can't be dealt with in a regular OSR.
It's like an OSR speciation event. Black Streams was clearly OSR, as was its offspring, Scarlet Heroes, but SH's child, Godbound, is unable to reproduce with OSR systems anymore.
>>
Are there OSR mechanics to End Him Rightly?
>>
>>57956397
That doesn't really put it out of the general category, though. Humans and chimpanzees cannot reproduce with each other but that doesn't mean they aren't both primates and clearly distinct from, say, fish.
>>
>>57956354
I just read that now, and it actually seems like what I'm going for. I did have a question, though. Would you still have players roll to hit and for damage and just describe it as having no effect?
>>
>>57956486

Well, the general category would be "old school games" and Godbound is moving from the "OSR" group which has B/X, LL, etc, and into the "OSR adjacent" group like Dungeon World, DCC, Torchbearer, etc.
>>
>>57956505
That's acceptable, but I'd say it's still in the process of moving out rather than completely gone, and I wouldn't pile it with the adjacents.
>>
>>57956450

Define "End Him Rightly"
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (177 KB, 1007x900)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>57956619
>>
>>57956390
core book is basically done but not yet indexed a and page referenced.
GM's book will be a while.
>>
>>57956672
>no gauntlet
>holding a gem in the other hand
>while hugging a spear
sirrah what the fuck are you doing
>>
>>57956946
Ending him rightly, of course.
That's not a gem, that's his sword's pommel.
>>
>>57955913
P-please?
>>
File: Map of the OSR universe.png (17 KB, 1097x505)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
I bring you knowledge
>>
>>57957156
>D&D 5E
reeeeeeeee
Kudos for remembering Dragon Fist exists, though.
>>
>>57954230

OSR can basically only give you a "Muh Appendix N" experience.
>>
File: Magic rods many.jpg (69 KB, 575x527)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
I'm building some house rules for magic rods that Wizards can use to cast in combat weak spells and AoE style attacks and such.

Should the rods be a specific thing, or should they be magic staffs instead? I ask because I know some players like having a magic staff, but I feel as though just leaving a staff by itself as a piece of wood for self defense is interesting enough for a lot of magic users. Rods on the other hand would probably be big, metal medium sized rods or batons held in the hand with gemstones and glowing magic sparks that fly off with each attack. What do you think?
>>
>>57957156
Dangerous Journeys doesn't feature anywhere on this.
>>
Are there any Japan-flavored OSR settings or modules? Some weeb friends want me to run something short for them next month and I see this as my chance to finally get them to try OSR.
>>
>>57956946
That's not a gem, anon.
>>
>>57953079
>neo-nazi

Dude isn't a neo-Nazi. He's about as nonpartisan as it gets. He used to run the Escapist, IIRC.

He's chill as fuck.

>>57953587
>Milo is a Nazi
>a fucking Catholic
>faggot
>who fucks black guys
>is a Nazi

You people are insane.
>>
So what's the deal with Castles & Crusades? Is it an AD&D clone? It's got knights and barbarians and monks but also DCs.
>>
>>57957277
Kara-Tur, Oriental Adeventures, The Horde, the OA module series.
>>
File: Map of the OSR universe.png (18 KB, 1097x505)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>57957300
>>57957259
>>57957178
Thanks for keeping me on my toes
>>
>>57957277
Oriental Adventures has a Japan area.
>>
>>57957309
>>57957346
Thanks I'll give it a look.
>>
>>57957309
>The Horde
That's not Japan, it's Central Asian steppes and Mongolia and shit.
>>
>>57957342
You could add LotFP (playtest) which is a False OSR.
>>
>>57956946

>gem

No way. That other knight better look out, 'cause he's gonna huck a rock at him. And we all know about rocks. >>57929177
>>
>>57957293
>hurr I fuck black guys so I can't be racist!
Perfect logic, Mr. /pol/itkovski. Luckily Milo always argues in good faith and never says things he doesn't believe in or that aren't true.

You know, you're free to let this go at any point. We don't have to shit it up in here with off-topic politics. You can just concede that ACKS is made by a neo-nazi and stop arguing at any time.
>>
>>57957368
Close enough. Plus there's a sick mini-adventure involving a monastery full of good bakemono bullied by oni
>>
>>57957342
Where would you put the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy RPG? It's got similar subject matter but totally different mechanics, so would it go with T&T, Mythras, and Dungeon World in False OSR?
>>
>>57957259
>Dangerous Journeys

FOE GYG

Go back to posting beefboy memes
>>
>>57957453
Same place I would put Dragon Warriors or like, Stormbringer and shit.
>>
>>57957293
Pro-tip: your arguing with Eric Nieudan, he was doing this to advertise his books in previous threads.
>>
>>57957453
False OSR.
And seriously why would you use GURPS when TFT/HOW exist
>>
>>57957463
Those aren't about going into holes and looting them, though. DFRPG is.
>>
>>57957490
DW is very much about going down random holes and looting them, and Stormbringer is going down random holes and looting them because the sorceror PC told the rest of the party to do it or eat demon shit.
>>
>>57957468
>Eric Nieudan
>Macchiato Monsters is a rules-light, old school, slightly collaborative roleplaying game. I designed it for adventure, exploration and survival in all kinds of perilous dungeonverses. If that were legally safe, I might have called it Dangers & Decisions. You can also say it’s an OSR and DIY D&D game, if labels are that important to you. Key features:

>Classless characters: emulate an classic concept or come up with something unique
>Freeform magic: name your spells and pay hit points when you cast them
>One-roll combat rounds: no initiative, no maps, no quarter given
>Risk dice: a simple attrition mechanic for armour, gear, encounters, treasure, etc.

Looks like I've found another entry for the False OSR zone.
>>
>>57957481
Because GURPS is the superior system, and is actively still supported
>>
>>57957481
Is TFT getting a reprint? I honestly want to get it in physical format, but fear eBay.
>>
>>57957468
Do you have a single fact to back that up?
Fucking G+ pissfights spilling into this thread.
>>
File: Map of the OSR universe.png (19 KB, 1097x505)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>57957557
Big Steve got the rights back so it seems inevitable.

>>57957549
[citation needed]
>>
>>57957419
>irrelevantly says a game developer is a neo-nazi
>irrelevantly brings in Milo
>irrelevantly says that someone else is from /pol/

I highly recommend just necking yourself and putting yourself out of your misery.
>>
>>57957156

Can I ask why LotFP is further out than ACKS?

Genuinely curious. I'm more familiar with ACKS but read through LotFP and it seems more in line with OSR principles.
>>
>>57957744
LotFP has ascending AC.
>>
>>57957744
Because nazis, like ascending AC, are old school, though of dubious value. Thus, something developed by a nazi is more oldschool than something not developed by a nazi.
>>
>>57957744
Not OP but I'd say the LotFP base rules are OSR but when you start adding shit like "A Red & Pleasant Land" and "Vaginas are Magic" it feels and plays less like OSR/Appendix N and more like your favourite episode of Rick and Morty.
>>
How much of a penalty should there be for fighting in dim light and near pitch black darkness?
>>
File: Chen drowsy.png (25 KB, 228x239)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>shitposter can't even reply to the right posts
Leave funposting to the professionals, kiddo.

>>57957852
>dim light
None

>near pitch black darkness
None because you can't hit what can't see
>>
>>57957888
You can still hear things, though. And your eyes can make do with very little light. Try going for a midnight walk when the moon is obscured by a cloud. Though, yeah, pure pitch black should be no ranged weaponry at all.
>>
>>57957842
Death Frost Doom and Tower of the Stargazer are solid dungeon crawls though.

Vornheim feels a Judges Guild supplement.
>>
>>57957606
>Citation needed
Read the new books to see how they're superior

The system is still supported, pyramid is still being published and they recently put out the dungeon fantasy box set
>>
File: blog wise kelpus.png (12 KB, 800x600)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
Do you actually think anyone cares what your opinion on "real OSR" is?
>>
>>57958120
No.
>>
>>57958120
They should, because I'm right.
>>
>>57958120

Well if you define it objectively, it's not an opinion anymore. Like, you don't have to guess or go by feel, you can compare statblocks for each system and see how well it matches up, or doesn't, and point to actual differences that others can observe for themselves.
>>
>>57958120
The people making those claims don't care, why should I?
>>
File: 1499727745912.jpg (175 KB, 484x740)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>57958120
>>57958232
>>57957744
>>57957606
OK, So everyone knows(or think they know) what OSR "feels" or "plays", this is what has created the never ending discussion of what is True™ OSR.
Clearly our collective mistake was this, as such I beseech everyone to try to define Objectively what OSR is aka, what mechanics in the various systems actually count as and are OSR.

We shalt put this beast of a discussion to rest!
>>
File: 1518552555917.png (16 KB, 1097x505)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>57957606
Is CHAINMAIL OSR?
>>
>>57958396
We won't, and we'll eat more posts in a neverending purity quest instead of using them on more useful, like laughing at Skerples or (sheeeit) posting actual OC.
>>
>>57958396
Stat it first.
For GLoG.
Use the icons.
>>
>>57958428
Is Battlesystem?
>>
Thoughts on For Gold & Glory? Is it an improvement over just playing AD&D 2e?
>>
>>57958476
Battlesystem might even be True AD&D™
>>
>>57958396

It's simple. Look at a module for each, and look for differences. If it tells you, for example, to make a luck check, that's not something that exists in OSR systems, which means this system has stepped away from compatibility here.
The more differences you see, and the harder it is to deal with them, the further the system is from OSR. If there's one or two small things that you could just replace with a saving throw or something and forget about it, then you're close to OSR and it's probably fine to lump that system in.
If there's a ton of these differences all over the place, then you're no longer in the OSR.

You could probably assign numbers or weights to various categories of differences, if you wanted to get super autistic about it, but I think it's enough to eyeball it and ask yourself "how much trouble would this be to run in B/X or AD&D?"
>>
>>57958428
Is False OSR a bad thing for a game to be?

I think it's neat to have other play styles in the same overall settings/genre. But maybe that's just me.

I've played 4 False OSRs, 2 ascending AC, and one True OSR by your chart. The False OSRs did the job better than Scarlet Heroes did, I think, but I favor the ascending AC OSRs myself. Certainly a niche for all three categories though.
>>
>>57958513

Nope. The only thing "not OSR" does is tell people "you probably can't use content produced for this system in anything OSR."
It's not a value judgment, it's a utility thing.
>>
>>57958513
No, it's just a common misconception.

>>57958506
On that note, is there a good way to convert DCC shit to LotFP. Not even looking for a proper conversion, just a way to convert that mess of action dice into HD, number of attacks, AB, and damage. Possibly HP too if DCC does it differently in some way I'm unaware of.
>>
>>57958513
Not in of itself, no. But it often means it's not really relevant on this general.
>>
>>57958311
>>57958428
This is a hard question

>>57958513
>Is False OSR a bad thing for a game to be?
No.

>>57958476
>>57958494
What about Unearthed Arcana?
>>
>>57958590
>What about Unearthed Arcana?
Probably depends on the issue.
>>
>>57958590
>What about Unearthed Arcana?
Some parts are, some parts aren't, no one "really" knows the cut-offs. The only fair way to divine Gary's intentions is by dicing.
>>
>>57958120
I gave your question thought and I think you should give up drawing.
>>
>>57958513
>Is False OSR a bad thing for a game to be?
Not at all. DCC is a ton of fun and still feels very much like OSR, just with an extra dash of craziness.

>>57958554
>"you probably can't use content produced for this system in anything OSR."
That's not even right either because he has Castles and Crusades listed under False, but C&C takes no work at all to run OSR modules on or vice versa. Just flip AC as necessary. Some DCs might need a slight tweak because of the whole SIEGE engine thing, but not much.

>>57958559
>http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2013/06/conversions-to-dcc.html

Converting stuff to DCC is not nearly as hard as some people make it out to be. It takes a little work, yeah, but it's doable and well worth it. I've had some great times in DCC playing old TSR modules, just pump up the weird factor. For converting DCC adventures into other systems, while I haven't done it as much, you can always just take the lazy route and replace monsters with whatever you want from old monster manuals, scaled as necessary. The thing with DCC is that it really encourages you to make up your own monsters anyway, so you can just as easily populate adventures with stuff from other resources.
>>
>>57958686
>That's not even right either because he has Castles and Crusades listed under False, but C&C takes no work at all to run OSR modules on or vice versa. Just flip AC as necessary. Some DCs might need a slight tweak because of the whole SIEGE engine thing, but not much.

That's a solid argument that C&C is an OSR system, actually.
>>
>>57958686
>>57958705

>DCs

On second thought, maybe not so much.
>>
>>57958705
C&C is more OSR than people want to admit because they don't like the prime attribute thing or they're still hung up on the OSRIC shit from over a decade ago
>>
Do you ever use races outside the original four as PCs in your games?
>>
File: sons_of_gygax.jpg (120 KB, 429x455)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>57958428
Your diagram is correct. Good work.
>>
>>57958803
Not yet, but I'm working on rules for centaurs, ratlings, and some sort of "good dog" class because I really like that idea. The ratlings are reskinned halflings though.
>>
>>57958817
I don't quite know why, but your image inspires me to invent a unit of volume, the gygax, used solely to measure the tears of players.
>>
>>57958506
If a system doesn't have any modules, is it a real system?
>>
>>57959056
Yes
>>
>>57958764
>hung up on
Funny way of spelling 'indoctrinated in to'
>>
Anybody have that time tracker sheet where you tick the boxes per turn?
>>
File: time_tracking.pdf (178 KB, PDF)
178 KB
178 KB PDF
>>57959056

Sure, but you can also judge a system's OSR-ness by "how easily can I run OSR modules in this system?" Which actually seems like an important point then, since if the system has no content built for it, being compatible with OSR stuff gives you a ton of premade content you can use, whereas if it's not OSR, and it doesn't have any modules or other content, then you have to build everything yourself.

>>57959090
That just sounds like butthurt, anon.

>>57959116

This one?
>>
>>57959116

Or this one?
>>
>>57959116
This one?
https://savevsdragon.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-pdf-download-exploration-time.html
>>
>>57959181
This one, thank you
>>
>>57946396
https://hmmmarquis.blogspot.com/2018/02/dragons-are-radioactive-moon-aliens.html
>>
Since thread is dead anyway, can someone tell me why Castles and Crusades is so disliked? Ive always had fun with it but maybe my DM just handles it well
>>
>>57959448

Who said it was "so disliked?" Some folks said it wasn't OSR, (although there's maybe some room to debate that) and some C&C fans got got all persecution complex for no apparent reason, but as was stated earlier, a system can be non-OSR and still be good.
>>
>>57959539
Whenever ive posted about it on /tg/ it tends to get shit on without anyone giving any real reasons. Then again /osrg/ probably appreciates more than the rest of the board.
>>
>>57959448
I like a lot of what C&C does, but the SIEGE system is a bit wonky, especially in how it interacts with saving throws (where it's very difficult to make a save for a secondary attribute, and it doesn't get any easier -- replicating what was a serious problem in 3e). Also, the impact of a primary attribute is fucking huge compared to rolling well on an attribute, and you have this weird dichotomy where two different things are representing the same thing... until shit like damage bonuses come into play. Then the guy who is super awesome at strength-related tasks is suddenly far inferior to the guy who rolled well on his attribute and hit harder (but not do strength-related tasks nearly as well).
>>
>>57959161
>That just sounds like butthurt, anon.
Most posters ITT weren't on K&KA ever (let alone when OSRIC came out). You give them too much credit.
>>
>>57959448

The SIEGE engine is a little wonky, for a couple of reasons.

Primes are weird. Why do they lower the TN to 12 instead of just giving you a +6 bonus? Also, the system of primes virtually ensures that a cleric who has Wis as prime is going to be better at tracking than a ranger who doesn't, unless the ranger is above 6th level.

On that note, adding your level to skill checks when they involve your class is just about meaningless at low levels, but it breaks the engine at high levels. And since saving throws use this same mechanic, it means that the saving throw math isn't great. It's not as bad as 3e/4e/5e, since there are no level-scaling DCs, but it's still off compared to just using saving throw tables like TSR D&D.

Except for that central mechanic, though, C&C is pretty good.
>>
>>57959569

The most I've seen around here in /osrg/ is an opinion that the SIEGE engine is kinda screwy. Like this >>57959585

But yeah, elsewhere on /tg/ you do get a lot of "it's shiiiit" posters on pretty much any subject.
>>
>>57959585
Also, adding your entire level to attribute and skill checks makes them scale way too fast, in my opinion.
>>
>>57959614
The SIEGE engine is wonky, but I'd love to see a version of C&C with that, at least as it currently exists, stripped out. I like attribute checks as a core principle for the system though. And I'm not even adverse to the *idea* of primary and secondary attributes. Or to attribute-related saving throws. The implementation needs some serious work though.
>>
>>57959380
I was referring to the thing where Radiant Dragons habitually spelljam into port, shapeshift into you, puts lots of booze money on your tab, then skip town right before you show up. But thanks for sharing, that's a nice post.
>>
Which version of LotFP in the trove is the most up-to-date one?

Also would /osrg/ actually recommend it or is it one of those games that's interesting in theory but a total mess in play?
>>
New thread, friends.
>>57959781
>>57959781
>>57959781
>>
How do I make random encounters interesting? I'm scared that something like "herd animal" or "mastodon" will come up on the table, and it'll be me telling the players "You see a bunch of mammoths drinking from the lake/a herd of deer making their way over the hill" and my players will be like "oh, okay, we'll carry on walking"
>>
>>57959822
Add cavemen to the back of mammoths.
>>
>>57959694

Get "Rules and Magic (no art)"

It's essentially B/X with some decent improvements, so it plays very well. Just remember that a 1-in-6 chance is like 16%, so just don't roll for simple things, or at least give a bonus if you're gonna roll for minor stuff.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.