[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: ym2qmzZ.jpg (3.44 MB, 4032x3024)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB JPG
>Unearthed Arcana: Into The Wild
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_IntoTheWild.pdf

>5e Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
Stable releases - https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
>>57948682

Grid or theater of the mind? Squares or hexes?
>>
So what's the point of the price requirement for Steel Wind Strike?

The only weapon that I can find that doesn't qualify is the dart, which is a ranged weapon so wouldn't count anyway.

Is it intended for improvised weapons? To avoid you soap wind striking?
>>
First for the ghost warlock memebuild
>>
>>57958175

A mix of both (hex grid when using them). Not every fight needs a battle map, but encounters in lairs and larger dungeons will get a grid drawn out for them.
>>
>>57958175
Squares, and we use a combination of grid and theater of the mind depending on the circumstances/how lazy I am.

Also, a new scientific poll for you fa/tg/uys:

http://www.strawpoll.me/15067562
>>
File: black leaf.gif (32 KB, 462x239)
32 KB
32 KB GIF
>Just finished second session with a bunch of new players
>All are really getting into character, have a bunch of in jokes
>Deep main plotline where they're slowly being framed for the King's assassination bubbling in the background
>They're tasked with tracking down a local rogue mercenary group, end session
>As they leave the house they're planning how they'll get in, if they'd be able to disguise themselves, what sort of strategies they can use and if it would be better to attack during the night
>Genuinely having fun with the game and excited
>Feels like a collaborative effort in storytelling rather than me vs. them

How are your games going lads?
>>
>>57958226
I'll bite. What is this?
>>
>>57958175
I would prefer theater of the mind, but my players lose their fucking minds when I don't get out the battle mat and draw their surroundings. For every. single. encounter.
>>
Manouver ranger or spellcaster ranger?
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/52p3e5/5epostrework_spellless_ranger/
>>
>>57958281
Anon from last thread is trying to find ways a warlock can abuse the gaseous form spell.
>>
>>57958245
I just finished DMing a sort of lackluster CoS campaign two weeks ago with my friends, and we're all talking what to do next.
I also just started playing in a new campaign doing ToA on Roll20 with a friend and 3 randos, and it's fun.
Overall, things are going pretty good.
I really want my friends to decide to roll new characters so I can stretch my creative muscles, since I've yet to run my own campaign, but I don't want to force it on them
>>
>>57958243

Next time, differentiate between session day and adventuring day. They're both very different.
>>
>>57958302
>>57958281

I am that anon! Casting armor of agathys before hand and relying on hexblade's curse and the loads of invocations that don't count as spells or attacks while in gaseous form turns you into a tanky cloud of doom!
>>
>>57958175
>Grid or theater of the mind? Squares or hexes?
Zones
>>
>>57958220
If there were no price requirement it would be assumed to be a part of your component pouch.
>>
File: MvHTA.jpg (288 KB, 1800x1284)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
it's totally fine to create your own background within the rules, right? you don't need to use one of the prewritten ones?
>>
File: 1516586460286.jpg (467 KB, 2700x3600)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
Can we post spore druid art if you guys have any?
>>
File: Mt Zogon.jpg (97 KB, 662x711)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>57958460
>>
>>57958441

Yeah, but make sure to ask your DM, especially if you're giving your custom background a feature. I've run into some DMs that consider it homebrew even though it's technically RAW to make your own background.
>>
File: 256.gif (1.45 MB, 757x759)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB GIF
>A month of waiting
>For fucking "travel" rules
>>
>>57958441
Yes.
>>
>>57958441
yes, it's intended. work with your DM to come up with a background feature that will be useful for your campaign (but not too good)
>>
File: FFG_FungusDruid_1.jpg (49 KB, 500x676)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>57958460
>>
File: PHB35_PG34_WEB.jpg (125 KB, 400x463)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Why are druids okay with using (presumably metal) scimitars and sickles but won't use metal shields or armor?
>>
Running my first session of my first OC setting campaign tonight.

Can't wait to fall flat on my face.
>>
Does having my tiefling paladin to multiclass into warlock come off as a weeaboo edgelord? I thought it would be interesting if he consulted his infernal heritage for answers regarding his missing deity.

also theater of mind but I'm using this right now to introduce my vidya friends to D&D before I pull the rug out from under them.
>>
>>57958625
Same reason Clerics in the past were supposed to stick to blunt weapons. Weird holdover traditions.
>>
>>57958635
Give us some details. What's the scope? How much stuff do you have planned out? You aren't planning on railroading are you?
>>
>>57958460
>>
>>57958637
>come off as a weeaboo edgelord
maybe a little bit? depends how you play it. does make you come off as a powergaming munchkin though, like most multiclass-into-warlock shenanigans. especially if you go hexblade
>>
>>57958625
>>57958645
They take oaths to their gods not to use other weapons and armor. That's why if they chose to do so they lose their power, and if forced to do so they do not.
>>
>>57958245
All of them are kind of a mess.

>table 1
I had 4 players. One of them chose to left after I suggested, since she had a lot of restrictions to show up. Then another girl joined in, she has no idea about the game and hadn't thought of anything, nor has read the book - yet she chose to play the hardest class to build in the game (druid). Our first session with her was just me putting her to creater her sheet since she was too lazy/confused to do ir for herself, and none of the players bothered to lend me a hand. Two of the other players are in a relationship, but they are both very unstable and constantly ""break up"", so the guy always takes a break from the game when that happens or when he needs to study (because he spent all of the days before the day of the game being a lazy piece of shit).
My only decent player on that table doesn't take the game so seriously, but that's fine I guess. She's invested in the game even if she's not good at roleplaying.
I have no idea when the next session is going to take place.

>table 2
Six dudes. One is "that guy", other two have the "video-gamey" mindset, other one doesn't give a shit about anything besides the wizard spell list and imagine shit for his character's background that never comes up in the game. The other two dudes are fine I guess. They are all my friends, but not close enough like in table 1 where I get dragged into their personal drama, so everything works smoothly. Also it's in one of the player's aparment, so food and beer is free.

Cont.
>>
>>57958305
My monk is in jail after out drinking h every other party member and then defending them form being robbed
>>
>>57958656
The scope is pretty much just urban city adventure, the city itself being a kind of Shadowrun meets Eberron meets FF14 version of Hong Kong.

I'm planning out a lot less stuff than I normally would after reading the Lazy DM pdf and trying to refine my approach.

>You aren't planning on railroading are you?

The adventure starts on a train, so technically yes.
>>
>>57958683
>druids
>gods
????????????
>>
>>57958683
Why should mother nature give a shit that you're using weapons made from natural minerals instead of natural plants/animals?
>>
>table 3
Three veteran players, and the other one is a very creative mind. I'm eager to play with them, but their schedules are very, very busy. It might end up being my favorite table.

>table 4
A bunch of (5) stoners thought it would be a good idea to play D&D. They knew I was a DM and called me to teach them. They seem to have lost interest, so I'm glad, they're all a bunch of political extremists and I'm sure the game would be a disaster. The first session is yet to come, and I hope it doesn't.

I swear, all of my players are so lazy. I put two players at table 2 to DM one-shots and they got way better as players after that. Other than them, everyone else just shows up, some don't even update their sheets. I'm kinda tired of it. When I wrap up all of these campaigns, I'm gonna gather 4 to 6 of the best and most available players and that's it.
>>
>>57958680
also didn't want to become THAT GUY for it. If I did it would just be the infernal pact since that's the theme I'm going for. I saw that pal/sorc is also bonkers.
>>
>>57958175
MIKE IS DESIGNING A SORC SUBCLASS ON TWITCH STREAM TIME TO FLAME HIM
>>
File: Nope.jpg (27 KB, 367x384)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>57958800
>>
>>57958800
I'd rather he revise and update some of the current UA Sorcerer options that didn't make it, but a new sorcerous origin might be fun too. What is this one based on?
>>
>>57958245
>>57958702
>>57958779
oops, forgot to quote. you get the idea
I envy you a lot my man
>>
>>57958828
I was joking, but okay sure. Good to clarify that for any newfags in the thread that might get ideas I suppose.

>>57958848
he's been meandering thus far talking about why sorcerer is designed the way it is, and kind of unofficially confirming that he has no idea why it's bad.
>>
My DM revealed to me that he actually stats out some of the humanoids we fight as if they were PCs with no archetype. What're the odds that one of us will be action surged to death?
>>
>>57958876

Wow, it's almost like without any clear indication, sarcasm doesn't translate well to text.

>sick joke bruh
>>
>>57958500
Of note: these rules can be ignored by low level driuds and rangers. So, there is not even a point to them.
>>
>>57958656
>You aren't planning on railroading are you?

Railroading is only bad if your players can spot the rails though.
>>
>>57958896
about as good as the odds that one additional enemy that only exists for a single turn is just enough to push an encounter from manageable to deadly
>>
>>57958923
they don't call greentext "muh sarcasm arrow" for nothing.
>>
new player here, what skills should I focus on
also what should I do for tools
>>
>>57958378
expound on this. What invocations and spells function while in gaseous form? You can't EB right?
>>
>>57958848
Giants. It's based on giants.

He did a kraken Warlock, and acrobat thief in previous ones, this one is Giant Sorcerer.
>>
>>57959001
Depends on your race and class.
>>
File: 1518470867386.jpg (772 KB, 1920x1851)
772 KB
772 KB JPG
>>57958460
>>
Mearl's comments about how they probably would have done dragon sorcerer differently if they made it now sort of make me want 5.5 because I'm a huge shill.
>>
>>57959024
human fighter
>>
>>57959001
For tools, check if your DM uses XGE tool use rules. If they do, Alchemist's Tools, Herbalism Kit and Smith's Tools are all very reliable choices.

Cartographer and Disguise Kit and Cartographer's Tools are both very useful situationally (in urban/exploration-heavy games).
>>
>>57959036
I don't know why they didn't just finish playtesting before publishing.
like he's talking about "playtests gave us this feedback" but then they clearly didn't get to act on it.

It's not like they're Ubisoft or something, they knew they couldn't patch it once published.
>>
File: horrified_facepalm.jpg (25 KB, 480x360)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Imagine you're in a game with your close friends that you know will go completely to shit. The DM is RAW by the book, but has some issues and is just not up to the task. If you try to PVP, blame will shift to you. What would you do?
>>
>>57958800
Oh boy! Just what I needed to compare to my brew!
>>
>mearls doesn't want to make an obvious 1-level dip for this sorcerer archetype
>immediately proposes some sort of of con AC bonus at level 1
>>
>>57959124
PVP the DM.
>>
>giving Sorcerer's Barbarian's AC.

WELP.
>>
>>57958756
Old lore. Druids used to worship gods back in the early editions.
>>
>>57959128
Your brew is shit and has been shit every time you've posted it.

Should compare pretty favorably, I'll probably use it over whatever Mearls designs.
>>
>>57959124
ERP the DM
>>
>>57959124
relax and drink a beer or whatever. Whenever my games look bad I just tell myself "these dudes are friends, I'm hanging with my buddies" and then I relax.

Whats the worst that can happen? Answer: Someone over-reacting.
>>
>>57959124
>you know will go completely to shit.
How?
>If you try to PVP, blame will shift to you.
Rightfully so, being a piece of shit gets you called a piece of shit. Do other players feel the same way? If not, you should probably just quit and let other people enjoy their game instead of shit it up like an asshole because it's not to your liking. If the other players also take issue with things about the game, consider talking about it like an adult and bringing some constructive feedback to the DM's attention.
>>
>>57959128
we have all repeatedly told you it is bad.

stop asking, our answer will not change, nor will we ever start using it no matter how much you shill it.
>>
>>57959184
>>57959216
I dunno I like it.
>>
>tfw nigh on impossible to find a group in my city
>tfw just spend my time thinking of characters I'd like to play eventually
Maybe one day I'll get to be the Death Cleric fascinated by decay sent on a quest to take down a Necromancer who is preventing the creation of new life by undoing death.
>>
>>57959244
Be a DM.
>>
>>57959237
(You), also, are a fag.
>>
>>57959128
Never really been sold on the flavor around this. I realize the need to keep it generic, but campaign specific lore would really help it a long. Also not a fan of it requiring XGE stuff like Steel Wind Strike.
>>
>>57959276
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>57959270
I wouldn't be able to find players.
>>
>>57959292
Easier to find players than to find available tables. Stop making excuses.
>>
>>57959244

Play online. It's easier to get in games, and you're bound to eventually find a decent group.
>>
File: awevtwt.png (241 KB, 360x361)
241 KB
241 KB PNG
>>57959244
Have you considered: The Internet
>>
>healing on a casting a cantrip

Free heals, no resources spent. Major no-no.
>>
>>57959200
What if the person over-reacting is the DM? He had a OCD collapse last time and there was nothing we could do for him.
>>
>>57959287
>Never really been sold on the flavor around this.
I always thought keeping it open was a good thing, do you have any specific examples as to what I could list for the empires or locations that performed these experiments?

> Also not a fan of it requiring XGE stuff like Steel Wind Strike.

There is a footnote that removes the expanded spell list.
>>
>>57959337
temp hp
warlock can basically already do this by casting false life at will
>>
>>57959313
Players not existing isn't an excuse you imbecile. It's a reality. Not everyone lives in America where being a nerd has become normalised.
>>
>>57959393
Warlock doesn't have damage reduction, barbarian AC and doesn't do it passively in combat while they still dish out damage.
>>
>>57959419
Shhh
Let sorcs have something nice for once.
>>
>>57959383

There's no suggested replacement though. You should never just NOT give an archetype class features at levels where others do...
>>
>>57957753
He probably keeps his body at least looking presentable with his magic.
>>
How is this class not just PF bloodrager with a huge tankiness buff?
>>
>>57959419
Everything together is probably too much. I doubt the damage reduction thing would ever see the light of day since that's not really a mechanic anymore.
>>
>>57959337
1 point for a cantrip.
Oh god the horror.
>>
>>57959289
What's right with it? It's another lame attempt to gish, an archetype that's already bullshit. Play an Eldritch Knight, or a Bladesinger or Valor Bard or even a fucking Stone Sorcerer if your casterfag almonds really just need to be activated by being able to do everything martials can do while also being a caster. The point of homebrew is to fill a gap in the existing game. This neither does that nor does it well.
>>
>>57959469
Bloodrager was pretty neat. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.
>>
>>57959403
I also don't live in America, retard. Just invite new people to the game. I pretty much popularized it around my social circles.
>>
>>57959447
Yes, there is no replacement because that removal is for those who do not want the subclass to have the extra spells. They still get the armor proficiencies & bonded weapon at that level, which is nice for a sorcerer.

People have expressed to me that they did not like the extra spells as it made the class a better spellcaster than the ones in the PHB so I added the footnote for those who would prefer not having those spells and just stick to the weapon bonuses and Strike features.
>>
>>57959507
Pretty unsubstantial complaint desu.
>>
>>57959507
Right? Like ever type of elemental giant he's trying to represent already has a sorcerer subtype except frost.

Stone Sorcerer.
Pheonix Sorcerer
Tempest Sorcerer
>>
>>57959540
Pretty unsubstantial brew desu.
>>
>>57959543
This is why I can't stand the "dexign for flavor, not to fill a role" mindset mearls has when designing.
>>
RAW characters have disadvantage firing a crossbow while prone. This seems dumb to me, is there any reason I shouldn't change it?
>>
Giants don't seem like they should be a sorcerous origin.
Except for cloud and storm giants they don't strike me as inherently magical or anything.
>>
>>57959507
>The point of homebrew is to fill a gap in the existing game.
But there are no more gaps, anon.
>>
>>57959599
Because that's giving ranged characters even more advantages?
>>
>>57959613
Tell that to mearls please
>>
>>57959599
You are not strategically prone, you've been knocked to the ground.
>>
>>57959613
gee, then maybe the brewfags should fuck off and play the game.
>>
File: 1516012679091.jpg (594 KB, 750x727)
594 KB
594 KB JPG
>Making random encounters for a dungeon
>One is a friendly bard who "will play an inspiring tune to help you on your way"
>It will be the most godawful and aggravating song I can find within the period of preparation
>The players can either endure it and get a defensive boost OR if they decide to brutally maim/murder the bard they get an offensive boost.
>>
>>57959579
it would be fine if they'd just name them more generic things more often.
>>
>>57959613
Artificer would be nice.
>>
>>57958441
It's pretty easy to justify changing little bits of the background. Like the Far Traveller background representing every kind of background that's from somewhere else, like other planes or stuff.
>>
>>57959682
Komar and Melamid- Most Unwanted Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08
its bad
>>
>>57959647
>not going prone when you come under fire from enemy archers
says who?
>>
File: Grappling is Fun.jpg (48 KB, 600x351)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>57959599

You could rule that the disadvantage only applies to melee weapons, but that firing at other prone enemies is at disadvantage.

The prone condition is more "this is what happens when you get slammed into the ground" than "this is something you voluntarily do in combat."
>>
>>57959718
I'd let you fire with long crossbows without advantage if that was the case. Not raw tho
>>
File: Mike-Mearls-headshot.jpg (824 KB, 1000x1185)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
I know we've all been putting it off, because none of us wanted to believe it. But after yesterday's UA, I think the question has to be asked.

Is the Creative Director of Dungeons and Dragons mentally retarded?
>>
File: Jerich Thane Statblock.png (478 KB, 1001x650)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
Post the stats of your main villain, /5eg/.
>>
File: thats_not_wrong_but.png (457 KB, 1600x1600)
457 KB
457 KB PNG
>>57959701
I said I wanted to have the bard killed, not the players.
>>
>>57959692
breaking mystic apart into something not stupidly trying to shove all psionics into one class, and also that works in a reasonable and understandable manner would also be nice for my eventual Thri-keen character, and other's ghostwise halflings and gith.
>>
>>57958220
you need a weapon to hit people with
the spell doesnt consume the material cost, it's just you need something to whack those people with as part of the spell
>>
>>57959759
Look up Death Knight if they get to him in time, if not it'll be a Lich Death Knight hybrid.
>>
File: DVOzzNMV4AAFM5S.jpg (64 KB, 1000x1000)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>57959759
Look at me. I am the villain of the campaign now.
>>
>>57958175
What is the thing that has the feature of "no attack has advantage on you while you are not incapacitated"?
>>
Help me wrap my head around the CR system and designing your own monsters.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (628 KB, PDF)
628 KB
628 KB PDF
>>57959759
Before you freak, 6-7 players all at level 16+ with artifacts.
>>
>>57959746
I think he's a mastermind, he's managed to make tonnes of people feel like they got quality content by stating the obvious and rewriting what's already in the DMG, all withing a single lunch break.
>>
>>57958245
We just took a break from our first campaign that’s been going for over a year by advancing on the big bad’s conquered mage city with an army of Goliaths.
We then took two sessions for me to try DMing a Wuxia flavored oneshot that went really well.
Now we’re back on our alternate campaign where we had a soft reset storywise. First session back was last week and it was fun as hell. Everyone loves their characters, their mechanics, the setting, and we all worked between the campaigns to tie everyone’s backstories together. I absolutely cannot wait for more we are having so much fun and the RP is flowing so smoothly oh my goodness.
>>
new player here, been trying to find a roll20 campaign to join and even those have dozens of applicants each to the point that my chances of getting into one anytime remotely soon are prettymuch nil. what do i do?
>>
>>57959746
I've been watching the videos of him creating subclasses. I really wanted to see the Kraken Warlock go into UA.
>>
>>57959746
What do you guys even want from UA at this point anyway?
Honestly I don't think I care about any new subclasses they might release.
>>
>>57959746
Tbh I think that Crawford needs to take Mearls out back and put him out of his misery. I've already switched to a different system because it seems that 5e has nothing left to add.
>>
>>57959794
Rogue level 18 feature:
>Elusive
>Beginning at 18th level, you are so evasive that attackers rarely gain the upper hand against you. No attack roll has advantage against you while you aren't incapacitated.
>>
>>57959803
>His name is Balthazar
Christ, the bard could defeat him with mere mockery.
>>57959746
>Into The Wild
The fuck am I supposed to do with this trash.
>>
>>57958243
This question really only has an answer based on how many resources your party, in fact, has at the current level.
>>
>>57959826

Either keep applying until you get lucky, or make your characters more appealing.
>>
>>57959682
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
It gets worse the longer you listen to it, so play it on repeat. Having it be a minute on a loop will make it even more infuriating.

or if you just want ear rape there's Crazy Bus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik
>>
>>57959832
Like someone posted other day:
more metamagic
more manouvers
>>
>>57959826
Keep on trying, try meeting people on Discord that play D&D, or start DMing yourself.
>>
>>57959701
Wizards have no sense of right and wrong, and only concern themselves about whether they can rather than whether they should.
As such, when a whim suggests they optimize for maximum evil, they really succeed.
>>
>>57959803
That's pretty solid brah
>>
>>57959838
That's what it was. I'm retarded I guess.
>>
File: 1509070843792.png (911 KB, 1200x1600)
911 KB
911 KB PNG
>>57959846
>Christ, the bard could defeat him with mere mockery.

HA! I wish... don't make me sad anon. The Bard died to this guy saving his friends and the party is still beat up over it.
>>
>>57959832

Welcome to 4chan, where anything WotC writes and publishes for free will be heavily criticized as not being as complex as Xanathar's, even though the 5e design philosophy is for you to design/adjudicate this stuff yourself if you need it.
>>
File: Green+Monstah.jpg (280 KB, 1500x1000)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>57959790
>>
>>57959746
>he could have written anything
>writes a single rule that's already in the PHB and writes a few words around it
Fuck 5e, the rose colored glasses are off
>>
File: 1518526068097.jpg (75 KB, 591x786)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Does anyone know where I could find some more info about the weave and the way it relates to the gods? Books, resources?
>>
>>57959854
>That Crazy Bus theme
Works if I make the bard a Monodrone and this is their idea of 'inspiring music'. My fucking head though.

Mansion Basement sounds like I pissed off an Animal Crossing villager.
>>
>>57959682
>The bard begins to play a tune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7p48af-yw
>>
>>57959917
Khorne.ru/2nd
Realms of Sorcery has some good info on how magic works
>>
How many interactions do you get per turn?
>>
>>57959832
For them to admit their mistakes and release fixes for them.

Revisions for fighter, sorcerer, elements monk...
>>
>>57959210
>How?
DM has OCD panic attacks when he can't handle everything.
>>
>>57959904
Can't drink my Old Spice-flavoured Tide without a good burger, thanks!
>>57959894
He lost to a child in a pimp costume? Christ.
>>
>>57959917
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, pages 18-23 has some detail. The old Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3rd edition) has some stuff too.
>>
>>57959886
Thanks, my party screams at me about him having 4 legendary actions, but they just don't know yet how much powerful gear they are going to be getting/have the option of getting before the final battle.

So 4 legendary actions seems pretty reasonable to me.
>>
>>57959746
Mearls has been retarded since day 1. How are you just now realizing this?
>>
>>57959977
>He lost to a child in a pimp costume? Christ.
>He killed a child in a pimp costume? Christ.
FTFY.
>>
>>57959947
Why do you do this?
I'm a WHF fan and I don't get it.
What do you gain by trying to stir shit like this?
>>
File: junkrat.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>57959938
That music's actually kind of cool? I mean the sex noise is a bit off but for the rest, wow.
>>
File: 2fa.jpg (56 KB, 680x680)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>57959947
Oh shit is he back?
>>
>>57959981
>party knows his stats
why?
>>
>>57959999
Child murderer AND pwned by a kid, with an extra dash of quad-nines to emphasize.
>>
How do you do collective skill checks? If 3/4th or 3/5ths of the party succeed on their roll, do you let them pass? What do you do for large groups?
>>
>>57960023
Evergrace is a real trip when it comes to music, got some nice fantasy rock stuff in there though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm17vgmh854
>>
>>57960025
I'm assuming they've fought him before and during the battle it used 4 different legendary actions, so the players know it has them.
>>
>>57960058
Try to imagine how many people need to succeed at the same task to complete it. Or have one DC, and each success adds a number to the result.
>>
>>57959746
I just wanted Food and Provisions
>>
>>57959964
This would actually be nice. But they've been really reticent to do anything like this and it's kind of pissing me off.

In that livestream Mearls commented on the dragon sorcerer for a bit and mentioned that if they made it now they wouldn't have its abilities use sorcery points to avoid them being overshadowed by preexisting class features.

Even if they didn't need to rewrite entire archetypes, a list of small fixes like that would be really nice.
>>
>>57960025
They don't know his stats, but they did fight him at level 10 wherein they kept track of the number of legendary actions he had and put one and two together.

>>57960042
Poor Halflings get thrown around like a child, didn't think I'd see the day they get called one.
He's not the child murdering type of bad guy more the manipulative silent strongman who can get a child to kill for him & and the demon lord Baalzebub.
>>
>>57960058
I let 2/3 success cover up any failures unless they fail by a huge margin below the the DC
>>
What do you guys use to organize your OC campaign notes?
>>
>>57960058
It's only 1/2 RAW, which is pretty lenient.
Nice for making group stealth actually viable tho.
>>
>>57960123
>TFW I made Baalzy a horribly bloated fly in my campaign
>Who gets targeted by dark gods as an easy way to dine on demonic power
>>
File: Shadow Wolf.png (95 KB, 464x904)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
I got inspired to make a shadow/dire wolf hybrid after watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX44CAz-JhU

Is pic related relatively balanced? I might just shamelessly copy the video and have a new party come together after being chased to the same location by a group of them.

On a different beat, what music/music videos have inspired your games, be it monsters, plots, characters, etc?
>>
>>57958800
Is it over? What did I miss? Anything good?
>>
>>57959803
May have gone a little overboard with the damage immunities, there. Even Orcus and Demogorgon aren't immune to cold, fire, and lightning.
>>
>>57960147
Whenever I post this some guy comes in shouting "SPECIFIC TRUMPS GENERAL, YOU CAN'T STEALTH GROUP CHECK"
Dunno where that rule is in the book.
>>
>>57960143
A laptop
>>
>>57960165
>Mike is designing a subclass
>Something good
Pick one
>>
>>57960216
Mearls is going to go on stream and nerf rangers so that everyone has to use his rules that he wrote on his lunch yesterday
>>
>>57960152
My game takes place in Golarion wherein my second session I made Beelzebub appear to the party as a large bulbous amalgamation of flies and hornets. Its what gave The Doombringer his powers.

>>57960198
Yeah... possibly. Cold and Fire should probably be resistances instead of immunities. Devil armor and whatnot would not make you immune to those effects probably just resistant. He does not have lightning immunity or resistance.
>>
File: tom.jpg (11 KB, 197x255)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
My character's backstory is that he has trained a tribe of creatures to become competent fighters in a proxy war, akin to something like CIA in Laos during Vietnam.
What creature would fit this? It would prefer if it's a typically more peaceful creature, would make it more comical that they've been turned to competent gueurrilla fighters.
>>
>>57960281
Flumphs
>>
>>57960273
>Using Golarion
>>>/pgg/
>>
File: right_here.png (163 KB, 718x293)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
>>57960205
PHB 7
>>
>>57960329
Ha, like I'd want to go back to Pathfinder. My year and a half spent with 5e has been amazing so I'll gladly stay here. The shift over was the best thing I have ever done IMO.
>>
>>57960281

Fairies or Gnomes. Halflings if you want to be a lttle more realistic. Pixies are already warlike so they're out of the question.
>>
File: james-paick-9.jpg (198 KB, 1400x1024)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
Good ol' question. Thinking about going Spore Druid, and am currently wondering how the wild shape substitute works with the cantrip Primal Savagery. Does Primal Savagery count as a melee weapon attack in this case, allowing me to deal an extra d6 poison damage, or is it something entirely different?
>>
>>57960366
Yes, but why would a stealth check not be able to be done as a group?
>>
>>57960385
Why set it in the pathfinder setting then?
I don't usually hear people saying good things about it.
>>
>>57960420
I like the world of Pathfinder, just not the system. Its very open and has some wiggle room for me to add in stuff or new locations, I and my players enjoy it.
>>
>>57960143
I have a notebook set up on OneNote.

There's a page specifically titled "Shit I said in the session" because I tend to forget the in-the-moment things I say.
>>
>>57960404
>Does Primal Savagery count as a melee weapon attack in this case
No, it's a melee spell attack. Your DM might be convinced to change it to work, though. It's certainly not overpowered.
>>
>>57958625
They can only wear clothes made of living things to keep connected with nature

Source: AD&D PHB
>>
>>57958625
It apparently had something to do with being encased in metal cutting them off from nature, whereas the metal weapons wouldn't. Note the 5e druid doesn't say you can't use any other weapons you might be proficient with.

I don't mind the restriction too much. It basically just enforces the idea that the druid is essentially a relatively low-AC caster, even with a shield. A typical druid will have an AC of 12-16 (depending on dex and a shield). It puts them squarely between wizards (~10 or 13 AC if they use Mage Armor, plus dex) and clerics (easily 17-20 depending on armor type and shield).

The option still exists for the DM to allow them to find substitute materials for other armors, of course. Note the only "core" option is Dragon Scale armor, which is a nice boost (15 AC) but that just matches half plate anyway.
>>
>>57960386
Fairies are a bit small, and gnomes and halflings feel like normal people. Is there anything more akin to a kobold or something? I should probably check the monster manual for humanoids.
>>
How many quests do you think is an alright number to throw at a party beginning a new campaign? Right now, I have 3 quests but each of them all act sort of as different methods or as a group to solving the primary quest.
>>
>>57960534
Thanks for the clarification anon, I figured that'd be the case. Guess I'll pitch it to my DM then.
>>
>>57960405
I dunno anon, but you asked where that rule is in the book.
>>
File: Birds-5.jpg (94 KB, 852x480)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>57960643

Kenku. Train them to make murder.
>>
>>57960648
3 quests is perfect. Let them choose which they are gonna do and which they aren't. If they're gonna do all of them, let them choose the order.
>>
What's a good background for a plane hopper?
>>
My party is probably going to have a PvP moment between two characters next session. They are both well adjusted adults and there are in games reasons why its going to happen and both players are cool with it. The question is who is going to win?

One is a lvl 11 half elf fiend pact warlock, 20 CHA, elemental adept feat, blast lock with one of those pact keeper wands with +2 to DC and attack.

The other is an 11 dwarf tempest cleric, 20 wis.

Both characters get to level up to 12. No idea what they will each take.

The cleric gets to prep the battlefield and the warlock doesn't know, in character, there will be a fight.

Who does tg think will win?
>>
>>57960831
Sage? SCAG Far Traveler? Folk Hero? Sailor?
>>
>>57960840
If the cleric manages to catch the warlock by surprise with Bestow Curse or, say, Hold Person, the fight is over.
>>
>>57960831
SCAG's Far Traveler, Hermit, Outlander if you're a loner that's spent too much time traveling the planes.
Backgrounds only describe the transition from normal life to adventurer, so nearly any background could describe why you've been plane hopping.
>Criminal running from something powerful
>guild merchant looking for exotic wares
>pirate on a githyanki ship
>soldier marching through the planes for conquest
>acolyte meeting the celestials
>>
>>57960863
Even with counterspell?
>>
>>57960840
Preparation + larger spell list means Cleric is going to win.
Any shutdown spells that the Warlock might have such as Hold Monster are going to be saved by the Cleric's high WIS. He's got 3 chances to do 5th level game changers to the Cleric, then it's over.
The Cleric has 16 spell slots at their disposal, and can heal themselves, give status effects to the Warlock (who probably doesn't have a great WIS) and do good damaging spells.
>>
Does anyone have a pdf for the kraken warlock?
>>
Is it possible to counterspell a cantrip?
>>
>>57961091
Yes, cantrips are considered level 0 spells, but why would you want to?
>>
>>57961022
Counterspell would put the Warlock down 33% of their spells, and one turn away from being hit with the spell again.
>>
>>57960840
PvP in 5e is dump. The system wasnt build for it, and every PC is a glass cannon with high attack and low hp (compare to monster they should be fighting).

Whoever roll higher initiative is already won the match.
>>
>>57961152
>every PC is a glass cannon with high attack and low hp
That's what makes it fun, it's more akin to a real duel than a drawn out slog.
>>
>>57961112
Because you're at 1 HP and you see a nigga casting Fire Bolt?
>>
>>57961090
Warlock Patron: The Kraken

You made a pact with a kraken that lurks somewhere in the world’s ocean.

Expanded Spell List

The Kraken lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

The Kraken Expanded Spells

Spell Level Spells

1st create or destroy water, thunderwave

2nd augury, gust of wind

3rd call lightning, water breathing

4th control water, Evard’s black tentacles

5th commune with nature, cone of cold

Grasp of the Kraken

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to call forth spectral tentacles that grab at your foes. As an action, pick a point you can see within 60 feet of you. A horde of grasping tendrils appear at that point. Creatures of your choice within 10 feet of that point must make a Strength saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. Creatures that fail their saving throw are grappled for 1 minute or until you use this ability again. The spectral tentacle’s Strenght (Athletics) bonus is 2 + your proficiency bonus and it’s reach is 10 feet.

Inky Escape

At 6th level, you gain the ability to call upon your patron to escape from your foes. As a reaction when you take damage, you can cast darkness centered on a point within 5 feet of you. The spell lasts until the end of your next turn, and it has no effect on your vision. Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

(Cont)
>>
>>57959682
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYmrPn1CnzY
>>
>>57961256
>>57961090
Pt 2
Scion of the Depths

Starting at 10th level, your patron accepts you into its inner court of servitors. You gain the ability to breath water and have a swim speed equal to your normal speed. You gain immunity to lightning. When your immunity reduces damage from an effect to 0, as a reaction you can cause creatures of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you to take lightning damage equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus.

Unleash the Kraken

At 14th level, you gain the ability to call upon your patron for aid. As an action, you open a portal at a point you can see within 30 feet of you and choose one of the following effects.

Transport: You and up to 5 willing creatures of your choice that you can see are grasped by tentacles that emerge from the portal. A second portral opens at a point of your choice within 100 miles that you have visited within the past 24 hours. A second portal opens, depositing you and your chosen allies there.

Fury: The tentacles slam into your foes. Pick up to 5 creatures that you can see within 30 feet of the portal. Those creatures must make a Dexterity saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. Creatures that fail their saving throws take 10d6 bludgeoning damage and are restrained for 1 minute. Those that succeed take half the bludgeoning damage and are not restrained. On its turn, a restrained creature can use its action to attempt a DC 15 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to end the restrained condition.
>>
>>57961256
>reaction to cast a heavily nerfed CONCENTRATION SPELL not before but AFTER t aking damage
What a fucking joke
>>
>>57961256
>>57961270
Thanks anon
>>
>>57960840
Cleric. Even more so if they prepare with Glyph of Warding, Planar Ally, etc.
>>
>>57961270
>15 DC
>Not your spell DC
Mearls has no idea how the game works.

Also shocking grasp yourself for free damage against targets within 30ft
>>
>>57958175
Grid with squares.
>>
>>57958175
I prefer a grid, but our group is 6 poor college students clustered around a very small table. I, the DM, have invested about $100 into minis and it's really hard to make room for them.
>>
>>57961256
>Evard’s black tentacles
Isn't that already on the Warlock's list? I got the impression Mearls think or even houseruled that these are additional spells known
>>
>>57961380
Classes: Wizard
Subclasses: Eldritch Knight Fighter, Arcane Trickster Rogue, Great Old One Warlock
>>
>>57961396
Why are you replying to me?
>>
>>57961424
He's listing the classes that get the spell to show you that base Warlocks don't already get the spell.
>>
>>57958243
What the fuck is a draining encounter that isn't combat? You mean just facing a sandstorm or a major trap, or something? Because I certainly can't think of any social instance where anyone is going to get drained except for maybe one guy who casts Friends.

As for number of encounters per day, I aim to stick to 2, short, 2, short, 2, long. I also run campaigns that are more about overworld exploration with survival, so often times they might have a single encounter in a day - but if it's anywhere I've genuinely thought about putting in a cluster of fights, they're likely getting something close to the standard day. My players have no issue with it and they've learned to conserve resources rather than burn everything every single round. Spellcasters who complain need to learn to use their cantrips more, given that melees end up just doing standard attacks most of the time.
Given that combat encounters always take less than 1 minute unless you're pulling shenanigans intentionally, if you really want to get into the realistic aspect, if people start expecting three encounters per long rest it results in someone going to sleep every time he spends three minutes fighting, regardless of the travel time from fight to fight.
>>
>>57961112
I've got a dungeon coming up and want my players to make use of torches, they'll need them either way, this is just a backup plan.
>>
>>57961264
It hurts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAvfgnbnGpc
>>
File: DevilBearded.gif (54 KB, 282x400)
54 KB
54 KB GIF
>>57959759
So far, mine is just a Bearded Devil with PAM added.

Lost Mines took a very wrong turn
>>
>>57961346
It makes sense because the tentacles are a separate entity from yourself, similar to Bigby's hand. They will not grow more powerful as you do, you're just summoning them to do your bidding.
DC 15 is fair when you get to damage and target 5 creatures for a super-grapple.
>>
In an attempt to help me roll a unique character, I told my DM what I wanted and she suggested I look at (I'm on my phone, forgive me for getting any names wrong) a grave cleric. I looked it up but I don't really understand it. Can anyone help me understand how it works? My original idea was something like a good undead-type character if that helps.
>>
What's the best item a DM has given you
>>
>>57961549
My character personally? A ring of Protection. I dumped DEX like a tard on my barbarian cause I'm a newfag to dnd and now I have 15 AC with the ring + my shield.
The party?
Cloaks of billowing for our bard and fighter-archer.
>>
>>57961498
i'd buy this if they were more consistent on it, but the grease you conjure with a grease spell apparently gets greasier as you get more powerful.
>>
>>57961549
Blackrazor while playing the Tales from the Yawning Portal module.
I turned into a turbo juggernaut more than my character already was. It was retarded.
>>
>>57961585
perhaps you figure out how to conjure better grease from the elemental plane of grease? It is pretty inconsistent but trying to rationalize it is the only thing that keeps me sane.
>>
>>57961549
Holy Avenger
>>
>>57961270
>only gains swim speed and waterbreathing at 10th level, compared to sea sorcerer getting it at 1st.
Mearls has no idea what he's doing
>>
>>57961701
>Mearls has no idea what he is doing
>Water is wet more at 11.
>>
>>57961549
+3 quarterstaff
>>
>>57961549
I don't think a DM has ever once given me a cool magic item that actually fit my character.
>>
>>57961301
>using a reaction to cast a free version of one of the most iconic Warlock abilities that synergize with their Devil's Sight shenanigans
>when the only reason that spell ever decides to not get cast is due to action economy
m8 everything else about the class might be aids, but this is literally giving Warlock a free darkness that breaks the standard action economy you'd use it for, and all it takes is to get hit once.
Worst case scenario the enemy only hit you once and then did something else, but then you still have advantage on everything you do because they can't see you, while you can see them.
Best case scenario it turns into Ranger's Multiattack defense and then they waste their turn trying to hit you, then you have advantage on attacks/disadvantage to be hit for the rest of the fight.
With the trigger only needing to get hit, this is actually really good. Outside of Hexblade, this beats out every other Warlock's level 6.
>>
>>57961549
>one of my dms is stingy as hell with magic items and even gold
>the other uses the donjon random magic item generator and I only ever get potions
>>
>>57961801
action economy is not the only reason. it also takes concentration (banishment, fly, hold person/monster, dominate person, evard's) and centering it within 5 feet of you may shit on your allies
>>
File: styxcharon1e.jpg (20 KB, 278x358)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
So, I'm kinda working on a setting in my spare time. A Greek Mythology based one, but with the restriction of nothing taken straight from Greek Mythology, only stuff through the lens of D&D.

So, with that caveat, which would make the best fiendish ruler of the underworld: Geryon, Dispater, Orcus, or someone else?

Cerlic, aka Charon already has his role as ferryman of the Styx, he can't be working two jobs.
>>
>>57961901
>A Greek Mythology based one, but with the restriction of nothing taken straight from Greek Mythology, only stuff through the lens of D&D.
How does that work with the fact that a lot of greek mythology is already part of DnD?
>>
>>57961866
Concentration is irrelevant. For Warlocks their best options are usually either Hex or Darkness as it is, but otherwise everything else is far more situation, whereas Darkness is hyperflexible.
Centering it on something within five feet with you can mean a rock or something you can move freely, so you just carry the darkness away, ie. the thing that Warlocks usually do. Cast it on themselves somehow and just move with it.
Also, the only thing it would ever do to 'shit on your allies' is to give them them both advantage and disadvantage, leaving them neutral, and it means they can't cast a spell that requires 'a target you can see' if that target is blocked by it. If it gets to the ally's turn, they can just walk out of it to cast that spell. If it gets to your turn first, you just walk away from your allies.
>>
File: 1482317162598.jpg (42 KB, 576x432)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>57960682
Making them murder would be more a procreation thing than training
>>
Im considering allowing my players to all take a single feat for free to start out, thoughts? i know you can trade an ability score improvement, but far as i can tell i didnt see another way to get feats.

First time running D&D and using pic related
>>
>>57961950
Boooo
>>
>>57961953
Go for it, it both gives your players extra options when it comes to creating a character, and prevents Vuman worship.
>>
>>57961920
Basically stuff directly taken from Greek Mythology without any D&D spin put on them, are pretty much out.

So no Zeus, or Poseidon, or Athena (but her 4e equivalent Erathis would count)

Monsterwise things should be okay, since they're pretty generalised. Like Hydras being formed from the blood of the dragon goddess Lernaea.
>>
File: 1518310555035.gif (2.72 MB, 240x234)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB GIF
>>57961950
I laughed but fuck you
>>
>>57961942
>everything else is far more situation,
I guess if your DM throws multiple enemies at you rarely enough that banishing one or two of them isn't a good idea
>If it gets to the ally's turn, they can just walk out of it to cast that spell.
unless their desired target is in the darkness.
>If it gets to your turn first, you just walk away from your allies.
did you even read the ability? if it gets to your turn first it's irrelevant, the reaction darkness ends at the end of your next turn.
>>
>>57959599
Wouldn't being prone make the loading part of the attack a bit challenging?
>>
File: Man-With-Question.png (55 KB, 500x500)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
I usually run very tactical games, but my current group is not tactically inclined. How do I run a nontactical game? What should it mainly be about?
>>
>>57959006
Throw up hexblade's curse on an enemy and start blasting them and their allies with maddening hex, have cloak of flies going alongside armor of agathys, have your voice of chainmaster familiar aiding allies and giving your verbal commands to control your specter to attack, use a soul caught by your soulcage arcanum to heal yourself if you have to. I'm not sure if there was more
>>
>>57962101
I mean, I guess you could roll over and put the stirrup on your foot
>>
>>57962109
When you say tactical, what do you mean? How do your games usually go?
>>
>>57962109
>nontactical game
what do you mean by this? just less combat focused? or that the combat itself is somehow less tactical?
>>
>>57959786
>>57958410
But booming blade and greatflame don't specify cost they just say "A weapon"

Also not always true because summon lesser demon requires blood from a humanoid killed in the last 24 hours and while there's no gold cost given in that it would also be crazy to assume they have it if they have killed no humanoids.
>>
>>57962202
>it would also be crazy to assume they have it if they have killed no humanoids
I don't know man, some parties...
>>
>>57958637
No Tieflings are inherently weebs edge., regardless of class. You only become worse by adding edgy classes and backstory.
>>
>>57958756
The Olde Gods, anon.
>>
>>57960595
I love how their whole gear is made of tailored furs, cut and sewn by different artesans, but take a hammer to a smelted ore and suddently it's not natural anymore

True answer is they are the original furfags
>>
>>57962159
>>57962165
Generally I set up a few combat encounters that are tactical puzzles kind of like Final Fantasy Tactics. This group has died to those encounters, they just want to ball through them. If I nerf the encounters, what do I make the game about?
>>
>>57961549
Magic scythe for my Bard that did some errands for the god of Death in return for some borrowed time. Comes with a lot of passives.
>+2 magic weapon, 2d6 finesse
>2d8 extra necrotic damage after a failed con save
>An enemy affected by this Necrotic damage straight up dies instantly if reduced to 0 HP before its next turn.
>able to cast healing word, eldritch blast, or finger of death by expending charges gained by killing enemies
>move through obstructed terrain twice a day
>cast misty step twice a day
>talk to the dead at will
>see the wandering souls of the dead
>immunity to being frightened
>resistance to necrotic damage
this thing is OP and I love it
Of course it does about 50 damage to me whenever I try to rest without charges in it but whatever
>>
>>57960205
You can run stealth as a Group Check if you want, but it is inappropriate to use a Group Check to determine surprise. That kind of leniency makes it easier to successfully ambush with 10 ninjas than it is with 1 ninja. That's obvious nonsense. To some degree, adding more bodies makes stealth harder, so whatever resolution is used ought to reflect that.
>>
>>57962288
Make the game about uncovering and interacting with a story.
>>
I'm trying to make a character that will make the other players at my table as uncomfortable as possible for a few sessions before I kill him off.

How does a male Yuan-ti bard that heavily focuses on seduction/orgies sound?
>>
>>57959837
Its funny. When vidya does this, we bring in fans and modders.

But for tabletop we just get trash homebrews. What's up with that?
>>
How is hexblade supposed to be broken?
>>
>>57959530
>>57959403
>be either of you
>be in tajikistan
>have 1 bit per hour internet connection
>play over IRC
>???
>>
>>57962288
you know, roleplaying. a story. characters. those boring things. chapter 3 of the DMG has some guidelines. you could also dig around online for adventure/story design.
>>
>>57960122
Too bad its si hard to balance patch printed material compared to online stuff.
>>
>>57962335
Do every living person a favor and never play D&D.
>>
>>57960304
This desu
>>
>>57962425
Excellent, triggering neckbeards already.
>>
>>57961549
>tell DM about story I read about this badass foul-mouthed mercenary who rode a unicorn into battle, and the local king was trying to find out his secret for riding one
>suddenly item in inventory
>statue that can summon a unicorn into battle by my command
>it's a fucking beast of an ally

>DM later dissolved that campaign because people left (due to scheduling issues, everyone was having fun)
>DM, me, and one other guy are the only ones going into new campaign with like 4 other people

>reveal my cleric, who wears a headpiece that looks like a unicorn, DM laughs her head off
>hints she might be giving me something similar in this campaign
>>
>>57962232
What qualifies as an edgy class?
>>
>>57962335
Are you trying to just not get invited the next week?
>>
>>57957971
Made a thread earlier but it got no traction. You guys are usually helpful.

I want to try something different than generic medieval fantasy.
Any ideas for running a 19th century to WW1 era game
>>
>>57961549
I made a big ol' batch of artifacts for my group, I toss around magic items pretty frequently in shops or after big bosses. Here are a few that came to mind with my party so far.

So far I have seen the party's Assassin freak out over the Azatoth Rapier, they just got through speaking with another rogue in the party about giving it up out of fear that it might kill him or take control of him (Which it will do neither of), but for now they need it cause its strong and can be used to protect his people. If he finds something else he will use it over that.

My parties Bard/Rogue loved the golden whistling Sword Cane so much, he immediately set out on a two-day quest to find some proper clothing to match the personality and style he wanted (>>57959894). This or the Slippers of Spider Climbing, they both worked really well together with him pimp walking down trees and buildings.

The Barbarian of my group started out with his artifact, a bone greatsword (Without knowing it would change), it upgraded when he first saw the main antagonist of the game and he Polymorphed into that wolf creature there. That or the Everfull Stein that gives him infinite ale that he has drank before. Never before have I heard the term "Dwarven Ale #5" before so much in my life (Guy has a record of 34 Shots before passing out). Gotta drink 'em all!
>>
File: 1515805618092.jpg (157 KB, 800x1071)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>57961660
>elemental plane of grease
at first you can only summon bits of unused scented oil from the perfume store
eventually it upgrades to pic related
then you can summon crude oil straight from the earth
at level 20, you're finally connected to the greasiest grease conceivable by mortals: the grease from an Italian's hair
>>
>>57958441
By RAW, you can almost fully customize your background without any DM approval. The only 2 things you would need to talk to the DM about would be the gear for your background and the background feature. With that said, I highly recommend working on making a customized background with your DM from start to finish. It will give the DM a better understanding of your character, so that he can better tailor the campaign to have your character fit in and shine when appropriate.
>>
>>57962373
My two issue with the class:
How front-loaded it is (i.e. how well it multiclasses.) It only takes one level and nets you 2 spells known, Hexblade's Curse (a very powerful 1/short rest ability), proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons, and most importantly, the ability to use your casting stat for your weapon attacks.
Its thematic redundancy with Pact of the Blade.
>>
So due to how generally toned down and dull the combat mechanics of 5e are, I’ve been incorporating more and more elements of 4e into my campaign. The next step I’m considering is rewarding players with daily powers instead of magic items in the current adventure. Is this an absurdly stupid idea that will break the game?
>pic not related
>>
>>57958245

>Online game with 5 players
>First fight the then-currently-3-strong party flubbed stealth so bad they alert the 9 or so bandits
>Do well for a while, but alchemist succumbs and fails his death saves
>Enter ruins
>Save two other heroes
>Find statue of minotaur
>Activate statue, it comes to life, gets first attack, and crits the wizard to death
>I laugh and laugh and laugh

Good session overall. Gave them a real sense of intensity and danger without throwing an insurmountable number of foes at them. I've been tweaking low-CR monsters to have slightly more AC or HP and it's working well.
>>
>>57962505
That's pretty simple, just add in the usual inventions, put emphasis on cavalry and rifling, and have the population of magic users heavily depleted by the war machine.
Mechanically all you need is some rifle stats, the main problem will be joining it together thematically. The standard medieval setting focused on knights and kings, so to change that, focus on generals and presidents. Mythology will be on the backburner. magic isn't seen as something, well, magical. It's a tool to be used like any other.
Based on your previous OP post I think you've got a good handle on the ideas already, all you need now is some research to cement it and you'll be good to go.
>>
>>57962594
Depends on the daily powers. Inherently there's nothing terribly wrong with giving the players boons instead of magic items. Not like there aren't some magic items won't break the game in half if you aren't careful.
>>
>>57962373
It's really powerful for multiclassing purposes.

>Eldrtich Blast
>CHA Weapon
>Shield
>Medium + Light Armor
>Martial Weapons
>Hexblade's Curse (Which scales via proficiency & CHA meaning no need for more warlock levels)
>Shield spell (If your multiclassing out of a Fullcaster)
>Hex (Stacks well with Eldritch Blast)
>Agonizing Blast (If you took 2 levels)

I don't ban it for multiclassing, but like all multi-classes, I ask for thematic/backstory reasonings for it. As a previous anon had put it "Make me want to let you do this." Cause I believe you can do some really interesting things with the Hexblade or Warlocks in general with multiclassing narratively it's just very powerful.
>>
>>57961549
Back in a PF game it was a Monk's Robes that also turned me from a Vanara into a natural Were-Giant Ape.
It was passed down between village chiefs, blessed by the great spirit Oozaru.

It was the reward for returning to face my Mad King father after living in hiding among the furless smoothskins for nearly a decade.

In 5e, I have actually never been given a significant magic item. I've had to buy them, and have mostly just been utility stuff like +1 wands and hat of languages.
>>
>>57961549
>first campaign
>level 2
>DM uses random loot generator
>gives me 6-charge necklace of fireballs without knowing what it does
>realizes the power he gave me 2 sessions later
>completely obliterate next 6 groups of enemies
>>
>>57961549
>Given to me
Bag of holding
>Taken for myself
A carriage full of exotic pets
>>
>>57961979
Wait do humans still start with an extra feat in 5e?
>>
>>57959759
I'm working on a main villain atm for a future campaign. she will be an ancient green dragon who is also a 9th level caster (using charisma as her casting stat) with emphasis defensive and charm magics. I Also gave her a shapeshift ability so she can assume an elven form (for story reasons) and magic resistance. She is intended for when the party reaches level 20.
>>
>>57962373
Eldritch Warrior should have been a pact of blade feature, not a patron specific one.
>>
>>57962802
Variant Humans do. The rules allow you to switch out getting +1 to all ability scores in place of only upping two scores, getting an extra skill, and choosing a feat.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (25 KB, 480x360)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>57961549
A cursed lantern shield for my Dwarf Valor Bard. It replaced my arm, but became detachable and throwable. It was pretty badass.
>>
>>57962802
Optionally, yes. It's either +1 to all stats or +1 to two stats, a proficiency, and a feat. It's the variant rule.
>>
>>57962802
Optional rule
>>
File: 1nhqil.jpg (56 KB, 800x857)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>57962610
>gets first attack, and crits the wizard to death
fuck you
when my wizard got surprise one-shat crit first round of combat and I really wanted to play a wizard because I've never done it before but we have a "can't be the same class" rule on new characters
>>
>>57962594
>will something not in 5e work in my game?
If you're not retarded, yes. If you are retarded, no. Daily powers are fine if they're managed properly. Heck, a lot of magic items might as well be daily powers as it is, only now you're giving it to people without attunement, etc.
Create homebrew spells, give them 1/long rest and still require normal casting rules, maybe buff them up a bit more. My DM gave me a spell that is basically Spiritual Weapon combined with Spirit Guardians, no concentration, but once per day.
You could give martials things like a *teleports behind you* skill that uses their melee weapon for an aoe attack, and as long as it's balanced with the whole 1/long/shortrest setup, you'll be fine.

But if you just start handing everyone the equivalent of legendary items that don't require attunement, your game will go to shit real fast.
>>
>>57962470
Warlock all but celestial (fey is less edge but more weeb), hexblade is worst
Conquest and oathbreaker Paladin
Death cleric, grave if you're an angsty faggot about it, war if you're a school shooter about it
Shadow Monk is literal nothing personell kid.
Shadow sorcerer
Necromancer
Barbarian, Rogue, and Ranger can be if you're overcompensating for something and in love with yourself.
>>
>>57962915
I understand that rule, but you not getting an exception due to the circumstances is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>57958245
>group is all normalfags
>no roleplaying whatsoever
>always want to meme around
>feel like they have no genuine interest in the story
>only play their characters combat deep
yet they always tell me how fun it is, i want to play a game with players who will actually have a conversation and try to be their characters, theyre all new so i guess i cant blame them though
>>
>>57962941
>fey is weeb
how?

>Shadow Monk
Also Long Death
>>
>>57961953
Just bear in mind there's like six good feats, anyway, and most players will be taking 4 of them.
>>
>roll for stats
>have between 15 and 18 in everything
>party member rolls between 6 and 10 for everything
Dis gun b gud
>>
>>57962594
Most magic items are #of use/rounds per daily / short rest.

The only difference between your abilities and just sticking them on items is that they can't be disarmed.

If that's fine for you, then yeah more power to you. If not, you want the ability to disarm them, then stick them on items.
>>
Going to be looking for a few players on Roll20 to join my group. Should I allow UE shit? I'm not sure what is popular outside my group.
>>
>>57958245
>have a DM who doesn't give a shit if people want to get into character or not because he just likes making in-depth campaigns regardless of how explored they are
>if an NPC isn't interacted with he reuses them later in the campaign, sometimes under a different name, or saves them for a future campaign so he has less work
>if people don't roleplay and figure out part of a story, he now has something he can throw in on future campaigns to reduce his workload
>his players, meaning myself and a few other decent people we found online, are always acting as their characters but usually talking OOC
>if people decided to go on a voice-acting spree and being retarded, he'd be cool with it
>if people wanted to do nothing but talk about the game and the characters from a third person perspective, he'd be cool with it
>in the end he realizes that forcing people to do what they may or may not be comfortable with is sperg as fuck
>people still end up working together to solve his puzzles, to beat his encounters, to find niche plans that he didn't think they'd do and he plays along with
>the last time I even bothered doing voice-acting was in a campaign like a year ago where I was literally Zangief in DnD, and even then no one else voice acted and I didn't give a shit
Life is good when DMs are flexible and realize that it doesn't matter if you're voice-acting or not, staying completely IC or being completely OOC, etc, because if you're a decent enough GM to make a good campaign there'll never be anything wasted unless you want it to be wasted, and that as long as the group meshes everyone, including the DM, will have fun
>>
>>57962756
The loot gen from the dmg?
That doesn't seem right. You sure he had the right level types in?
>>
>>57961549
So I've I'm on my second character in this campaign and both have gotten some neat magic items so I'll do both.

>First character, Elf Hexblade Warlock
I got a Deck of Many Things, and due to a run of stupid, dumb-ass luck I pulled something like 11-ish cards out and only got 2 bad cards, which were Alignment Reversal, and fighting the Avatar of Death (which was really easy? Apparently he has a bad statblock.) This shot me up to level 11, so the character decided to go off on his own for a bit.

>Second character, Changeling Swashbuckler Rogue
I just got a +3 Vorpal Longsword, and I'm going to see if I can find an NPC who can make it into a rapier of some kind.
>>
>>57962996
>fey is weeb
>how?
You'll know once you get one as a player

>Also Long Death
You right forgot that existed.
>>
Anyone have tips for running an adventure in the Astral Plane or Mechanus? Possibly going to one or the other soon, and I want to make it as unique and true to the spirit of each plane as possible.
>>
>>57962594
>The next step I’m considering is rewarding players with daily powers instead of magic items in the current adventure. Is this an absurdly stupid idea that will break the game?
It's in the DMG, in the Alternate Rewards section, as 'Blessings.'
They're good. More people should use them.
>>
>>57963036
Why doesn't your party member reroll? The rules allow it when the sum of the total ability modifiers is +3 or less.
>>
>>57961549
I got an Amulet of Health and my regular CON is 8.
>>
>>57963149
>You'll know once you get one as a player
I played one
>>
>>57963027
lol, the biggest stupidity i see when people dis d&d, "if you dont play this specific build you're doing it wrong" and salty GM's "Everyone is going to play the most overpowered classes and nobody plays the others cause thats stupid"

as if people dont believe in role playing
>>
>>57961953
i did this, they seem to be enjoying it
>>
>>57963075
No multiclassing of UA. Be wary of UA wizard anything. They are beta materials so expect possible issues, needs for rulings, and don't be afraid to buff if they seem useless or put your foot down if they get out of hand.

That's about all I know for advice.
>>
>>57963110
A hoard for the levels 0-4 range can include a magic item from tables all the way up to table G in the DMG. It's possible.
Shit, you could randomly roll a Flame Tongue, a +2 Shield, or a Wand of Fireballs.
>>
>>57963197
Depends entirely if you have shit players or not
>>
>>57963027
I disagree, I think allowing one free feat will let players take feats they normally wouldn't have, such as observant, actor, inspiring leader, keen mind, defensive duelist, etc.
>>
So when spore druid came out there was alot of complaining on tg about small fixes and stuff. What do you guys think of it as is.
The theme is fun but is it a solid choice compared to land/moon?
>>
>>57962941
Conquest isn't inherently edgy. If you read the background it's closer to someone who just wants the entire world to be strong.
Sure you can be someone who just goes around killing people and claiming you're the best, but that's you simply being evil, not you being involved with conquest.
If 'conquering' is inherently edgy, then literally every single major power since the dawn of time has been edgy. Vikings conquered to gain more land because what they originally had was small and covered in ice. Romans conquered simply because 'lol why not, we have Alexander' and used it to expand their cultural views. Grorious nippon conquered itself like four times over until it eventually just became both the 'non-official' government of the Shogunate and the 'official but worthless' government that wanted nothing more than to jerk off to old-school porn and fanfiction. Mongols conquered for similar reasons to vikings, etc, etc.
Heck, in DnD, the average person is conquering everywhere they go with the exception of already-established towns. Conquest Paladin is more about making the weak that deserve to be strong actually strong, and punishing the strong that are corrupt.
>>
>>57963197
There's definite one or two feats okay for roleplaying, but if you don't take stuff like Sharpshooter if you're a bow Fighter or a Ranger or something, you're making a fairly significant mistake. It's a question of "what else?" anyway. Maybe the one for Maneuvers, or Actor if you want to spread out.

That said, none of them are quite outright trash, though I think the worst is Heavy Armor Master. -3 flat damage is going to matter less and less the higher your level is.
>>
You don't need CON if you can't get hit. That's why it's the dump stat for my Hexblade Warlock Aarakocra with Eldritch Spear + Spell Sniper.
>>
>>57963165
How pouty Bishounen uguu were you? What silly gimmick did you have?
Did you have a romantic relationship with feminine (male) patron?
>>
>>57961953
I like having it be tied to their background or backstory or a character their character would be closely associated with. So far they've had fun with it instead of just picking GWM/PAM/Sharpshooter, outside of someone who was building into Kensei so the extra bow skill from Sharpshooter was more evocative and definitive for his character's abilities in the early levels.
>>
>>57963293
>How pouty Bishounen uguu were you?
Not at all

>What silly gimmick did you have?
None, just focused on enchantment spells like Sleep and Suggestion

>Did you have a romantic relationship with feminine (male) patron?
Patrons for me are always a background thing with no say on current matterS
>>
>>57963197
>as if people don't believe in roleplaying
Correlation =/= causation, and they're not mutually exclusive.
You can have an excellent character and simply apply roleplaying on top of it, but what you're also saying is that the only people allowed to truly play the game are the Charisma spellcasters, because if you don't want to be a completely shit martial you generally have to dump all the social stats (the exception being Paladin) - and if you're telling me that I have to potentially spend years in a campaign acting like a vegetable and not being involved in social aspects, but also get upset when you see that I don't have the stats to do social aspects because I'll be inherently failing everything more than succeeding, that's pretty damn retarded.
You can take the most minmaxed combat-focused character in the game and still give it an excellent backstory and roleplay them well. There is nothing that says you can't both roleplay and have a good character, but anyone saying you have to choose roleplay over combat is inherently telling people to choose for absolutely no reason.
>>
>>57963197
I have definitely know players, nearly entire groups for doing this.

Spikes are not fun to have at the dice table, and only fun in cards when you get to frustrate them by out-playing and bullshit luck wins using bad cards.
>>
>>57963226
My favorite example from there is the Helm of Teleportation.
>>
>>57963276
>If 'conquering' is inherently edgy, then literally every single major power since the dawn of time has been edgy.

This is a correct statement, but also not the problem, and your post has instead only made it apparent that you are one such edgelord and comedically unaware of it.
>>
>>57963281
>-3 flat damage is going to matter less and less the higher your level is.
it's frequently better than it seems, even at higher levels. say you're fighting an adult red dragon, and it hits you three times, rolling for average damage. you mitigate 9 of the 46 damage. 20% reduction is not insignificant.
>>
>>57963354
Original poster for that Q.

My experience with feylocks is that they're just neo-pagans, pertaining to classic tropes of those practicing.

>>57963276
Conquest struck me like the Hellknights from PF: most are just normal people except for their militant enforcement of curfew.
>>
>>57963461
I think it just needs to scale. Like approximately 40% of the features, abilities, and feats in 5e.
>>
>>57963110
Yes, it was after a couple battles, and it's a legit chance from the DMG. Quite rare, though. We just got really lucky, and no one else wanted to give up their gold for a magic item we didn't actually look up yet. It's on Magic Item Table C, which there's a ~10% chance of randomly hitting (though you get 1d4 items off the list), and a 1/100 chance of getting the necklace of fireballs off that table.
>>
>>57963276
>Douse the Flame of Hope. It is not enough to merely defeat an enemy in battle. Your victory must be so overwhelming that your enemies' will to fight is shattered forever. A blade can end a life. Fear can end an empire.
>Rule with an Iron Fist. Once you have conquered, tolerate no dissent. Your word is law. Those who obey it shall be favored. Those who defy it shall be punished as an example to all who might follow.
>Strength Above All. You shall rule until a stronger one arises. Then you must grow mightier and meet the challenge, or fall to your own ruin.

Dude the oath they sear into their arm literally sounds like a Sith recruitment poster.
>>
>>57963442
jesus. they didn't really try at all with those tables, huh.
>>
>>57963453
>but also not the problem
The problem was never explained. 'Conquest qualifies as an edgy class' is the entire point of discussion, but conquest is not edgy. Do you consider the animals at the top of the animal kingdom to be edgy because they roam in packs and create territories through strength? Do you also think that cats who play with their food are edgy despite it simply being their nature?
>you are on such edgelord
[citation needed]
If anything, calling it edgy is you projecting because you can't see conquering as anything other than edgy. Or your view of edgy is vastly different to the general population.
>>
>>57963479
Something similar happened in a game I ran.
The end of the level 3 dungeon was stocked with +1 armor, wings of flying, and a helmet of mind reading.
>>
File: Quinn.jpg (427 KB, 3056x4592)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>57963354
>Patrons for me are always a background thing with no say on current matterS

Interesting I always like my patrons doing something or having some effect on my current affairs, I am getting more power from them after all. Only seems fair that they get to meddle or have some influence on me.
>>
>>57963538
>Interesting I always like my patrons doing something or having some effect on my current affairs
I just dislike my DM having any say on my character whatsoever, it's the reason I usually avoid Paladins if I'm not playing with a DM I know well
>>
>>57963510
The first Oath is literally saying 'make people put down their arms through fear rather than killing them', which is exactly how law enforcement works.
The second is a dictator, but a dictator doesn't mean inherently edgy, it just means a different viewpoint. Isn't it a good view by the general public? No, because most people are ruled by a dictator. But Russia sure is and they think their dictator is fine. North Korea sure is and most people there are brainwashed. What people view as good or bad is simply based on the culture they grew up with, morals being a subjective grey zone.
The third one is literally saying 'the people who deserve to be at the top will be at the top, and if you do get to the top, if you can't hold your position, then someone more worthy came along'. I see nothing edgy about this, it's just a matter of perspective.

The closest of the three to actually being edgy is the second on, but even that is just subjective based on morality.
>>
>>57963585
Is it a good view by the general public? No, because most people aren't ruled by a dictator*
I don't know how I fucked that up so badly
>>
>>57963474
If it was proficiency bonus it would be fine.
>>
Tempest Cleric, I want Booming Blade. Magic Initiate but what class and what to pick for the extra cantrip and 1st spell
>>
>>57963617
Wizard or Sorc if you want Find Familiar
Sorc if you want Shield
Warlock if you want Hex

I'd personally go with Shield since you're a full caster, and it'll effectively be a permanent +5 AC, but Hex is a nice DPS boost, albeit you're only attacking once per turn.
>>
Is the infestation cantrip any good?
Please?
>>
>>57963644
Uh, second one should be Wizard or Sorc, first should be only Wizard
>>
>>57963617
Wizard
Prestidigitation. Always have warm boots and spicy food.
Find Familiar. Pet octopus
>>
>>57963651
It's a meme
>>
>>57963644
Great tips. Hex is tempting but I should keep my bonus free for Healing Word or Spirit Wep. Probably going to take Shield since I frontline. Thanks senpai
>>
File: Nora.png (991 KB, 769x837)
991 KB
991 KB PNG
>>57963574
>I just dislike my DM having any say on my character whatsoever

Your patron is not your character though. So the DM has no say at all as to how your character should react or will react to their demands. You also should have some creative control on what your relationship with your patron is so you don't have to make a patron that might pull something you don't want to happen in the future.

Example: My Halfling Bard/Warlock has a sound and music neutral Patron that travels the planes in search of sounds. I state in my backstory that each encounter with the Patron is fun, awe-inspiring, and only serves to bring me joy and excitement. We have a good-natured relationship that has never taken a violent or evil turn.

If there was ever a time it went evil I would combat the DM on that and explain that in no way shape or form does that make sense for this entity (Unless there are some cascading circumstances).
>>
>>57963532
>you projecting
Ah yes, the tried and true "no u"
Great response. Definitely showed me. No way you're some edgy teen.
>>
>>57963585
>The first Oath is literally saying 'make people put down their arms through fear rather than killing them', which is exactly how law enforcement works.

No, it's "quash all who stand in your way beneath your boot until they dare never rise up again"
>>
>>57963696
>completely ignore everything in the post
>Texas Sharpshooter
>even make up bullshit about what projecting means
>passive aggressiveness which is far more edgy and far more likely to be used by an inept child
Given how you're physically incapable of proving why conquering is edgy, I'm gonna say you're just full of shit.
>>
>>57963670
>>
>>57963651
>poison damage
it's shit by default, unless you're sure that like 90% of what you'll be fighting are humanoids. 100 creatures are resistant to poison, and about 100 MORE are outright immune. That considered, it's mostly for the secondary effect, which is so random there's only like a 25% chance of anyone getting an attack of opportunity, becoming 0% if the enemy is flanked. It's kind of abysmal, that considered.
>>
>>57963715
Yes, so literally law enforcement.
Most people aren't robbing stores because they 'fear' the results that come after if they get caught.
>>
File: e96.jpg (35 KB, 607x608)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>57963585
>The third one is literally saying 'the people who deserve to be at the top will be at the top, and if you do get to the top, if you can't hold your position, then someone more worthy came along'. I see nothing edgy about this, it's just a matter of perspective.

No edge here.
>>
Reminder that all Tabaxi are secretly named after Dishwashing Detergent.
>>
>>57963731
Man, I just wanna shoot bees at people I don't like.
>>
>>57963754
It's telling people that if you're at the top you need to make sure you're good enough to maintain your position. If someone else takes it, you weren't good enough.
This is how the business world works. This is how the MMA scene works. This is how literally every aspect of life works. If someone else could take it from you, nine times out of ten they were a better fit.
>>
>>57963585
>The third one is literally saying 'the people who deserve to be at the top will be at the top, and if you do get to the top, if you can't hold your position, then someone more worthy came along'. I see nothing edgy about this, it's just a matter of perspective.

So... might makes right?
>>
>>57963760
take it dude, just make sure your other cantrips are decent.
>>
>>57963783
That's how all of history has developed. The victory decides what's correct. Is it a nice perspective? Fuck no. But it's how the world we know it today was defined, and it's how the future is going to be defined. In the past it was whoever had the biggest armies, in the present it's whoever has the most money and political influence.
>>
>>57963692
I get your perspective, but some DMs disagree and I like to avoid bad experiences
>>
How do you handle how healing magic works? A lot of times I'll see players use it as a CTRL-Z to damge. I'm not a fan of this, it makes deadly stuff feel like it has less of an impact.
Do you still let it leave scars or deformations? I guess if my cleric lost his arm, he wouldn't be able to heal the parts of him that aren't present.
>>
>>57963832
If I got scars for every time I went to 10% hp, then every single character in DnD would be a generic horror film character.
Also, please don't remove someone's limbs without them specifically asking for it as something for their character. It reminds me of DMs who used to use critical fumble takes that made someone lose a limb or something if an enemy crit them, or if they critically fumbled, and it resulted in higher level characters losing an arm every minute.
>>
File: Warlocks.png (2.49 MB, 1640x1698)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB PNG
>>57963802
Man, that saddens me that you have had such a poor experience with such a fun concept. Hopefully one day you find a cool DM that will give you some more control over your patron's attitude and some freedom so you can experience it a lot better! I'm rooting for you!
>>
>>57963832
>If my cleric lost his arm he wouldn't be able to heal the parts of him that aren't present
True, Healing is not the same as Regeneration.
There's a 7th level spell Cleric can learn called Regenerate. So long as he has a hand, can speak, and a prayer wheel and holy water (or presumably a focus of some sort, I'm pretty new to dnd and I've never touched a caster, let alone a cleric) and 2 minutes of time he can regenerate any lost limb provided he can touch where it used to be, and if he's still got his lopped-off arm he can just stick it back on and cast the spell to instantly fix his shit.
>>
>>57963832
I also tend to use it as a CTRL-Z to damage, but if its a crit or a large amount of damage, it'll definitely leave a scar.
I really like the idea of potions and healing magic forcing your body to knit itself back together, but the process being rather painful too.
>>
>>57963895
Also, ring of Regeneration would let him grow it back over a period of 1d6+1 days provided he has at least one hit point for the duration.
>>
>playing Elven Arcane Trickster
>chaotic good
>get into light-hearted argument with Dwarven Cleric over pottery
>fool doesn't understand the beauty of kintsugi
>later that day
>enter a tavern after a long time of adventuring
>dwarf makes a beeline for the bar
>gets his usual fare
>while behind his back I sneakily Prestidigitate his alcohol
>now tastes like the sweaty back-end of a mule(don't ask why I know what that tastes like)
>dwarf grimaces
>can't figure out what the fuck's going on
>looks to me to see if I'm doing anything
>I'm sitting in the corner flipping through an old tome I picked up while our party was combing through some old ruins
>dwarf figures the drink is just off
>his love for all things alcoholic wars with the awful taste he's experiencing
>stone-faced, tears silently run down the dwarf's face as he struggles to finish his drink
>laugh and continue fucking with his tastebuds all night long
>next morning
>everyone's eating some bland rations while we walk through the forest
>casually mention to the party that Prestidigitation can change the taste of things
>dwarf cleric is silent for a few seconds while he connects the dots
>throws his ceramic mug at me while yelling some of the most creative insults I've ever heard
>party is pissing themselves laughing
>return the dwarf's mug to him later after melting down some gold coins to repair the cracks in it
Felt good to get one over on him for once.
>>
>>57963855
/tg/ has become a lot friendlier over the last few months. Is the board culture changing, or are you just prolifically friendly?
>>
>>57963617
Unless your Int is high you want something with no attack roll or DC.

And since it's 1/Day things for frequently occuring emergencies, everyday utilities, or that last for a long time are best. Shield, Mage Armor, Find Familiar, Exp Retreat, detect magic, unseen serv, you get the idea.
>>
>>57963848
I'm not DMing, so I can't machete chop limbs. I had a DM who wanted to be super edgy and basically turned everyone into Cronenberg people, so I know how annoying that is. If I did, I'd reserve it for really big fuck ups. Like the monk pouring lantern oil on his hands and lighting them on fire for "fists of fury".
It's just a thought I had while I played a healer for the first time.
>>
>>57963932
/tg/ can be very friendly when they're not being grognards or munchkins.
The entire premise of /tg/ is collaborative storytelling and local games, so it makes sense the users are a little more prone to being social.
>>
Would it be bad form to roleplay a primary quest giver as a reputable, stand up guy, only for to be revealed that's his actually the bad guy at the end?
>>
>>57963945
I like the idea of a wound that reduces you to 0hp leaving a scar unless magically treated. Not a huge scar, just something small. You could even use some other system and roll for what body part got injured.
>>
>>57963734
In a like, North Korea kind of way sure
>>
>>57963932
Aw thanks, I like to think I'm a friendly guy, but most here can be nice when they find something they like a lot or are passionate about.
>>
>>57963974
that's the oldest most obvious trope in the book.
do it
>>
>>57963993
People are scared of the consequences so they don't act up. What that Oath is saying is what current life is based on. If they just shot people that opposed them rather than making them to scared to do anything, it'd be a lot worse than what we are now.
Basically, there's no point in conquering and ruling something if there's no one to rule. Live and let live, but do it in a way that they won't rise against you - and if they do rise against you and you lose, you shouldn't have been so corrupt to make people want to rise against you (this is actually explained in the Conquest background).
>>
>>57963980
I'll bring that up with my DM, that sound cool. As long as we don't go full Cronenberg.
I'm interested in seeing how people incorporate it into their characters. Like, the bard uses his rurouni kenshin X thing to pick up chicks at a bar. Or maybe a really vain paladin hides his face for something that's barely noticeable.
>>
Does anyone have any experience using the Vitality rules from UA or a wounds/hp split? I want to implement this but I've never done it in 5E. Are there any system idiosyncrasies that need to be addressed to make it work?
>>
>>57964046
I've experimented with something like this:
http://www.windsofchaos.com/wp-content/uploads/crits/josef/arrow.pdf

You can play around with them and kind of fudge it to fit with 5e. They don't even have to have mechanical effects, they're just useful descriptions of what happens when they drop to 0.
>>
I'm thinking of banning Warlocks, Fighters and Monks from my game

They rely too much on short rests
>>
>>57964064
I used Vitality for 6 months, and it just wasn't very fun. It's the kind of thing that just adds unnecessary complications on the player's end, and players aren't known for being great at math.
>>
>>57964100
t. Wizard shitter
>>
>>57964100
>They rely too much on short rests
You don't fucking say?

It's almost like the game was intended for you to have a mix of short rest and long rest based classes in your party!
>>
>ban casters
>D&D becomes much better
It's like magic
>>
>>57964137
full casters, or all casters?
>>
>>57964137
never believe it's not so
>>
>>57963832
>>57963848

I tend to rule it as leaving scars even after magic healing for (only) drops to 0.

They'll heal at normal scar rate, so it's not like it's lifelong permenant (unless you're such an old fogey you don't heal away scars anymore, or it was so ludicrously bad (nearly died to massive damage rules) that no amount of time is gonna fully fix that kind of wound).
Nor do you have some big gaping hole in you, just some discolored scar tissue where that deathblow was dealt.
But you did get injured so hard you were dying. It's not a papercut. It should leave a bit of a mark.

Plus there's mythological precedent in the stigmata after all.
>>
>>57964122
I like Barbarians and Paladins desu

>>57964132
>It's almost like the game was intended for you to have a mix of short rest and long rest based classes in your party!
This is bad though, either go with a short rest party or a long rest one. Mixing will make some characters weaker
>>
>>57964144
I just rule it as ctrl z. People have an idea for how they want their character to look, if they take a big hit and they want to have a cool scar, or discolouration, or to be Frankenstein's monster, they'll choose to have it. Otherwise, I don't like forcing it on people. Especially since, HP can also just represent someone's stamina wearing down as they consistently get winded by good hits to their armor, before someone got a lucky blow on their chin and they got KO'd (with potential life-threatening damage on their insides.
Magic itself is so vague that I just say a spellcaster who knows healing spells is temporarily invoking the power of magic mega doctors who skin graft and sulture so perfectly that there is no mark, or that the wounds reconnect themselves as if it simply never happened, but the aftershock of it still exists.
>>
>>57964182
>Mixing will make some characters weaker
No, it won't, unless you're a bad DM that lets the party take long rests frequently.

I'm serious. Don't let the Wizard talk you into letting him immediately take a long rest. Actually force him to use Arcane Recovery so the Fighter and the Warlock can do what their classes were designed to do.
>>
>>57964216
These classes are still weaker because I will no throw 5+ encounters in a single day
>>
>>57964226
Anon, you're /supposed/ to have 6-8 encounters. Not all of them combat; some social and some traps.
>>
>>57964182
>mixing them will make some characters weaker
Only if people can't conserve their resources.
I stick to 2 fights, short, 2 fights, short, 2 fights long as the general structure for any proper combat day and my players never have an issue even if I'm doing extra events that makes them want to waste resources. Martials who rely on short rests still spend most of their time slapping enemies with their normal attacks, so Wizards who rely on long rests could spend just as much time casting their cantrips, because when they do use their long-rest shit it generally has a far bigger impact than the short rest options, but their cantrips are generally a bit weaker (which is fine, as it's in exchange for the safety of being ranged).
>>
>play a swashbuckler rogue
>get nothing but hit points back on a rest
Feels... unsatisfying somehow. I guess I should just be happy I'm at max effectiveness in every encounter.
>>
>>57964100
I have seen some red flags for a bad DM in my time, but banning fighters is something else.
>>
>>57964234
>Not all of them combat; some social and some traps.
More reasons to ban Fighters then
>>
>>57964255
Is that you Mearls?
>>
File: Rozalin 6.png (474 KB, 800x600)
474 KB
474 KB PNG
>>57963855
While on we are on the topic of Warlock & Patron relationships.

Anons if your Warlock or one of your player's Warlocks disobeyed their Patron's orders or did not meet their desires for whatever their Pact entailed what punishment would that Patron invoke?

For me, I'm a fan of occasional Patron appropriate creatures appearing in combat to mess with or fight against the party. I'm a big fan of nightmares and hallucinations to remind the character of what they are loosing or why they made the deal in the first place and why they need each other in the end. If I really want to scare them I may throw some type of powerful creature far beyond their combative skills just to scare them and let them know that at any time they could die for their transgressions against the Patron until they come back. Lastly, this one might be a little debatable, but the patron may withhold knowledge making it so the player/character can no longer level up in the class until they return to patrons favor: note this does not stop spells or spell slots recovering it just stops progression.
>>
>>57964255
Autismo
>>
>>57964264
>Anons if your Warlock or one of your player's Warlocks disobeyed their Patron's orders or did not meet their desires for whatever their Pact entailed what punishment would that Patron invoke?
None
>>
>>57964255
What the fuck?
>>
>>57964246
That's because Rogue is basically all passives with no cooldowns or limiters.
You just do what you do, always. Long rest, short rest, doesn't matter. Take Booming Blade? Doesn't matter, it's a cantrip.
I often just multiclass Rogue for more active abilities that take thought solely because Rogues are just autopilot.
>>
>>57964099
All of these sound like fucking brutal injuries. I'm going to figure out a way to incorporate them into 5e, because these sound awesome.
>>
>>57964264
Why do you always post this mediocre art?
>>
>>57964264
>Anons if your Warlock or one of your player's Warlocks disobeyed their Patron's orders or did not meet their desires for whatever their Pact entailed what punishment would that Patron invoke?
None, I don't negotiate with terrorists and they shouldn't have given me their power if they didn't ask if I would
>>
File: Wizard_NES.png (6 KB, 157x252)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
Wizard names, give me your best.
>>
>>57964312
Hieronymous
Vespasian
>>
>>57963613
You're right. I'll try that.
>>
>>57964312
Wizwang
>>
>>57964312
Bob
>>
How do Warlock become more powerful than their patrons? Isuppose there isn't an issue with some patrons, but it feels like there are others where the Warlock will eventually surpass their patron and I have no clue how that's possible.
>>
>>57964312
sahelanthropus
>>
>>57964274
May I ask why?

>>57964308
A drawfriend worked hard on that, and I like it.
>>
>>57964312
The Great Autismo
Rape-bait
McKnockMeDownInOneCrit
Mr. Overcompensation
Thirtyyears Old
>>
>>57964312
Zenopus
>>
>>57964264
Touching players class i always an iffy one, I think the most I've done was a fiend pact warlock decided to not hold up to their end of an agreement they made with their patron they got a fancy magic item in advance in exchange for defiling a magic spring in some woods So the patron started relentlessly tormenting them in their sleep. The player thought it was just RP fluff stuff until I told them they didn't get any benefits from the long rest and gained a level of exhaustion after a night of restless tormented sleep. A swift return to the woods to fuck the spring up ensued.
>>
>>57964337
They do not draw all their power from the Patron
>>
>>57964312
Bad Dragon
>>
>>57964379
Where do the rest of their powers come from?
>>
>>57964397
Study and secondary patrons
>>
File: 458 - 31qXLfF.jpg (78 KB, 860x674)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>57964311
A simple example could be, maybe you would need to give your patron a small amount of money you make after every completed quest or mission or what have you. In return, they may award you with items and more knowledge. One day you are unable to meet the cut or you refuse (They asked for too much), what then?

>>57964362
Ah yes, the nightmare/hallucination approach is a good one. I will be doing that one if things get really desperate for the patron or they are just jerks.
>>
I'm a new DM and I think I fucked myself over

I'm running a game that spans many different planes, different cultures and more. Every 2 sessions or so I need an entire new plane or world to show the party, and it's killing me

What should I do? How can I slow down progress? Should I just tell the party this is way too much work
>>
>>57964462
I would have chosen a better patron, or I wouldn't have dealt with one who expects me to 'return favors'. Since it's the player's backstory, they could have just said "the patron was all 'hey, you're a pretty cool dude, go slap some people's shit with some dank ass magic darkness shit'". If the DM wants to go ahead and completely rearrange the nature of the patron that's their perogative, but I still refuse to negotiate with terrorists who didn't tell me I had to do anything back. If there are all these insanely evil patrons who expect their medium to slaughter innocents, etc, then there are going to be patrons of Nyalathotep-tier who just give humanity the means to ruin itself and watch from a distance - or patrons who just hand out their powers because of 'why the fuck not, it's fun'.
If I didn't expressly say that I was dealing with a malevolent patron when making the character, I'm not going to deal with one expecting me to do shit on their behalf when ti wasn't part of the original deal, unless it's just them asking for a favor or something.
>>
>>57964517
How about having a limited number of planes?
>>
>>57964216
It's kind of shitty how that worked out for both classes. I can't even count how many times people just do a long rest simply on the merit that it benefits the most people in the party. This feature doesn't even cross my mind when picking classes.
I mean I guess you could keep bombarding the party with creatures until they get the hint, but I don't think you'll ever get them to play the exact way you want them to. And the more you force them into it, the less likely they'll be to continue.
Persona 5 did something I like with saferooms. You have a place where you can effectively take a long rest, but it makes everything respawn and you have less time to explore the dungeon, so taking rests has a consequence. So maybe something like this could be useful if you're DMing?
>>57964255
Actually what?
>>57964312
Literally any medicine name.
Fentanyl, Avelox, Bravelle, Ranexa.
Some diseases too.
Aphasia, Rosacea
>>
>>57964517
You could always just reuse old worlds and go with the whole "same world but a single different decision changed it slightly" so last time they went there there was a civil war going on, in this one it never happened because some monsters invaded or something. Use those sessions as your creative downtime of sorts, you've already got the groundwork set up you just need to change little things.

Failing that just talk it over with your group man, tell them you've written yourself into a corner by accident and say you're going to slow it down a bit till you find your rhythm again.
>>
So I just realized that Arcane Tricksters get absolutely no new cantrip or level 1 spells from XGE (except for the ones that can be 'any school')
>>
>>57964312
Xanax.
>>
>>57964534
Ah, the bystander patron! Not a bad choice either, personally I prefer my patrons to have a little say or require me to do stuff (Which I put in my backstory), but I know not everyone is not into that and would just prefer to have that be in the past instead of an ongoing thing. So cool thank you for explaining in more detail.
>>
>>57963902
>>57963902
>>57963902
new thread
>>
File: SmugWizard.jpg (365 KB, 1693x569)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>57964349
>martialcucks
>>
>>57964585
cantrips are always any school it's just leveled spells that are restricted my dude.
>>
>>57964517
"Return to X" blmy dude.
Wizards has been doing it for years.
>>
>>57964778
>gets hands grappled
>gets throatfucked
>can't use verbal or somatic components
>too wimpy to break the grapple or the throatfucking
>just accepts his place
>>
>>57964034
Except you make people scared to do anything BY shooting people who oppose you.

You make examples out of them.
>>
File: AnimeGirlSmug8.gif (177 KB, 540x304)
177 KB
177 KB GIF
>>57964837
>it was actually just one of my simulacrums
>my other simulacrum *teleports behind u*
>casts irresistible dance on you
>other other simulacrum starts fisting you with his bigby's pinky finger
>mfw I'm scrying in on you with my elite wizard buddies in our magic mansion
>mfw we rule the world
>>
>>57964896
That's not what the Oath says, though. You just make people too scared to fight beat. You beat people with fear. It's the entire reason it specifically talks about a sword (ie. killing) being beaten by fear
>>
>>57965055
>fisting anything
>in full plate
Not happening buddy
>it was a simulacrum
Simulate this dick
*teleports behind you*
*throatfucks you from the back with sheer strength*
>>
>>57964837
>not having your 1 hour freedom of movement up

also, that's three attacks used, two for grapple, one for dickjab, the dickjab being Shield-able against because it's an unarmed strike not another grapple.

you have at most, 4. Best land all of them, or the next move is dimension door, far step+forcecage, immolation, Geas, Power Word Stun, Irresistable dance, or heck even timestop.is V only.

Or if you miss any of the hands, Psychic scream, illusory dragon, mental prison, mind spike, for something that might be a fun one, Demiplane, because by that point I'm sure you're both on the ground, and suddenly you both fall into a room t which his continued existance is the only escape. Your options become immediately abandon your attempts and flee, wait til the door shuts then eventually grovel for forgiveness and mercy so that you may escape, or.commit to mutually assured destruction until you both starve.
>>
>>57965453
>Action Surge
>or two + extra action
>one for grapple
>extra attack left over, trip, attack + Trip Attack, whatever
>extra action for dick jab strength contest (it's an athletics check, it's a strength contest, not attack, much like just gagging you normally)
There's no attacks at all retard. Heck, if you're allowed to have all those spells which are plenty over level 5 martials, then the martial is just going to use their millions of attacks to overpower you with gags and dicks and rape, with their Precision Strikes and Stunning Strikes and whatever the fuck else they want
>>
Are Nets good? Would it be stupid to make a fighter focussed on throwing nets? Other classes? I think multiple nets can stack, right?
>>
>>57963613
The only reason I think it isn't is because -6 damage is like immunity to cannon fodder.
>>
>>57965453
It's literally all str contest. Grapples are str contests in place of attacks, gagging someone would be an athletics check, and you can bet your wizard ass won't have the dexterity or athletics to beat a martial especially if they're expertised or have advantage via rage
>>
>>57963755
>Tabaxi sun soul monk
Dawn.
>>
>>57964337
The patron teaches how to do the kinds of things it does, rather than being the source of power itself.
>>
>>57964896
Point two is to uphold the law. Show that criminals will be punished AND those who cooperate will be rewarded.
>>
>>57961953
I banned some of the more powerful ones from being taken at 1 (GWM, SS, Lucky, War Caster) and players really liked it.
>>
>>57963755
???
>>
>>57963255
You're putting way too much faith in players.
>>
>>57965557
woop, forgot about action surge. I do that even on my own characters. Nevermind you're fine. 8 attacks is plenty to make 3 rolls against a wizard's dex stick.

Still not sure how dick stabbing is a strength check though. Ya need accuracy for that, not brute strength. It's like threading a needle.
>>
File: prod_ec_2022529102[1].jpg (1.62 MB, 2400x2400)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>57966918
The scents.
Here's some Volos examples of clan names:
Bright Cliffs, Distant Rain, Mountain Tree, Rumbling River, Snoring Mountain

they sound like laundry detergent flavors.
>>
>>57965453
>>57965557
>>57965694
>>57966985
>wizard
>getting into direct combat
No. The whole point of a wizard is to not do that. >>57965055 was being jokey but he has the right idea.
>>
>>57967043
>flavors
Don't eat tide pods anon.
>>
>>57963255
Tell you what buddy. Let's just us save you from yourself and make this compromise that should get you closer to what you're actually wanting.

Any half-feat. (i.e. +1 to a stat then minor Extras) that is NOT racial specific especially not Elven Accuracy.

If you want them to take the flavorful feats you really need to lock them into them. Part of game design is saving players from themselves, because regardless of what they would find to be the most fun they will instead always do what they think is the mechanically optimal choice, no matter how much more boring it is for them. It's a flaw of humans that's a side effect of one of our strengths. But it does mean without supervision they will make themselves miserable unless forced not to, trying to "win" rather than have fun.
>>
>>57963289
hope you've got really good perception. The first ambush is gonna rock you like a hurricane.
>>
>>57965664
I know bounded accuracy and all that, and 4e mooks were designed out of the system, but c'mon. You're the party tank, at 17th level in fullplate.

Is it really so unbelievable that kobolds with daggers can't land a good hit on you for how well versed you are in movement in your armor?
>>
>>57967082
I assumed he assumed a full surprise ambush situation in which he didn't give away his position due to armor clanking (probably unarmed and nude desu, free hands and better dick access), had never shown the wizard hostility prior such that would warrant scrying upon or sending someone to tail him, won initiative, was able to clear any distance between the two without using his standard action or Action Surge to Dash, and then proceeded to spend 8 attacks (9 if he has tavern brawler) trying to pin the wizards hands with grapples and begin irrumatio.

Because without any single piece of that reasonably feasible magical Christmas land scenario he's getting absolutely destroyed.
>>
>>57961574
shit man at that point just use half-plate
>>
>>57967332
if he full dumped dex might as well use full plate. 10t of movement isn't worth 5 points of AC.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.