[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1514765123092.jpg (412 KB, 1280x804)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>Unearthed Arcana: Into The Trash
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_IntoTheWild.pdf

>5e Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Warhammer/Fantasy/Roleplay/2nd%20edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
Stable releases - https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
>>57958175

Desert Edition
How do you effectively run a desert setting when almost all of the terrain can be described as "sand"?
>>
>>57963902
Oases with nomadic hobgoblin raiders that guard them jealously, ankheg hives building massive anthills out in the sandstone hills so that you always have to be on watch for scavenging drones, giant scorpions that burrow during the day and come out at night to hunt.
>>
File: 1482849793302.gif (1.77 MB, 500x500)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB GIF
>>57963902
You could describe the settings effect on the players and their gear. The heat of the sun, the dryness of the air, the build up of sweat on the cloth elements of their clothing. Occasionally encounters or features can stand out in a desert, things like small wells in the middle of no-where, or a small mesa area with rocky outcroppings that provide seclusion from the sun and a hidden place to camp. Afghanistan is more mountainous and desert, but it has the same desert elements. As for wells and sources of water in the desert, having to barter or steal from can make an interesting encounter. Have you seen Lawrence of Arabia? There is a good scene in that movie in which a tribesman guiding Lawrence is shot for stealing water. Likewise, maybe you could take inspiration from the environments in that movie. This moved away from descriptions into more general thoughts on deserts but I hope something was of worth. I believe Thri-keen are desert creatures, no? Having to establish contact with them, parsing out a working language between you and them and establishing trade or transactions could be interesting.

I have to run a one-shot for a group of people about level 6, any suggestions? I was wondering if an evil party might be fun to run, or evil prisoners coerced into doing good in suicidal missions.
>>
>>57963902
A distant kingdom are using flying homonculi to launch fireball strikes on insurgents, when in truth most of them are just innocent villagers.
>>
I'm a new DM and I think I fucked myself over

I'm running a game that spans many different planes, different cultures and more. Every 2 sessions or so I need an entire new plane or world to show the party, and it's killing me

What should I do? How can I slow down progress? Should I just tell the party this is way too much work?
>>
>>57964495
don't be a cuck

treat each plane as a different country or zelda temple

>old german forest temple plane

> Russian Fire Temple Plane
>>
File: Planning-ricoh-india.png (92 KB, 585x189)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>57964495
>What should I do? How can I slow down progress?

1. Reduce the frequency of sessions. If you're running a game weekly, run it bi-weekly for a month of two until you feel comfortable. Invite another player to switch off DMing a separate campaign. You could even run two separate campaigns on your own - one traditional campaign, and one attendance-independent episodic campaign with less complicated sessions.

2. Adopt good session-building habits. Set aside time - real time, an hour or two per week - to hammer out details and settings. Pay attention to what you can comfortably improvise, and have reference material handy for things you can't.

3. Destroy or steal whatever trinket is allowing the players to travel between planes. If it's a ship, it gets attacked by a dimension dragon or some shit and crashes dramatically. Boom, the rest of your campaign is now about finding a way for the party to teleport home. Don't be afraid to discard all your plans and change the endgame of the campaign.

4. Increase the frequency and difficulty of combat encounters.
>>
>>57964495
why did you make such a massive concept for your campaign and not consider the time-sink required?

dont bite off more than you can chew, your PCs are merciless devourers of content.
>>
>>57964717
Because I'm new and didn't realize how much work goes into this stuff
>>
>>57963902
Brass Dragon.
>Spooky monster mirage.
>Spooky track to oasis.
>Intelligent magical sand worm.
>Obnoxious when in good mood.
>When in bad mood, kill entire party except one where he dragged to dragon's lair, burrowed up to neck, and forced to talk until die from throat dryness.
>Escape underground if legendary resistance is spent/ take some damage.
>Good dragon.
>>
File: IMG_1864.jpg (130 KB, 667x1000)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Does /5eg/ mind the lack of rules for character background information? Should players really be allowed to just pick and choose whatever they want from the pre-made options?

Also, why are there no set rules for monster creation like there were in 3.5e? Why don't all Monstrous Humanoids have the same HD, BAB progression, etc?!

Also, also, why are magic items just made up with whatever features you want?

Also, also, also, why do monsters have made up abilities with no logic or rules behind them?
>>
>>57964585
How do you mean by 'any school'? I usually don't play a wizard or an arcane trickster, so I'm not super familiar with this.
I know that trickster does get some spells out of XGE, I know some of them are excluded from certain classes, but that's about it.
>>
>>57964806
>Does /5eg/ mind the lack of rules for character background information? Should players really be allowed to just pick and choose whatever they want from the pre-made options?
Yes.

>Also, why are there no set rules for monster creation like there were in 3.5e? Why don't all Monstrous Humanoids have the same HD, BAB progression, etc?!
Sure there are, in the DMG.

>Also, also, why are magic items just made up with whatever features you want?
There aren't.

>Also, also, also, why do monsters have made up abilities with no logic or rules behind them?
This is a pretend system, and there is logic and rules behind the features monsters have.

Nice try though.
>>
>>57964806
low quality senpai
>>
File: 1506135874302.png (142 KB, 698x768)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
What are some classes that make good combo with a zealot barbarian?
(not multiclass, I mean other PC)
>>
>>57964830
Tricksters have to choose from Illusion or Enchantment. There's no level 1 Xanathar's spell of either, and level 2 only has one Illusion (Shadow Blade)
>>
>>57964806
>Does /5eg/ mind the lack of rules for character background information?
There are tons of options, especially with Xanathar's tables

>Also, why are there no set rules for monster creation like there were in 3.5e?
There are, look at the PHB. And Monster creation is different from PC creation

>Also, also, why are magic items just made up with whatever features you want?
Most existed since first edition

>why do monsters have made up abilities with no logic or rules behind them?
fun
>>
>>57964917
Cleric for those hot revivifies
>>
>>57964917
Grave Cleric and War Cleric
>>
>>57964918
Oh okay, that makes more sense to me now.
>>
>>57964744
play some of the pre-made modules, they are not only good examples of worldbuilding, they also have some great concepts to steal for your own games.

for instance, in curse of strahd, the first combat challenge presented to players is the death house, a great low level dungeon.
>>
>>57964917
>not multiclass
Fag
>other PC
Pretty much anything that can revive them and anything that would buff any other martial
>>
File: 1453009411526.png (675 KB, 428x648)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
>>57963902
So basically, I want to play a Bard with some demonic or otherworldly quality to him, highly charismatic. He's to be the envoy of some force from the stars spreading a positive message on this plane and is charming as fuck. I was planning on starting with Bard and multiclassing into Warlock for one to three levels, depending. I would either go for Celestial (The star/space-related, kind envoy aspect) or for Great Old One (The eldritch things coming from the stars who turn out not to be so nice). It's a tossup for either. Which do you think fits better? Anyone have suggestions on it?
>>
>>57964850
>Limited Magic Immunity. The rakshasa can't be affected or detected by spells of 6th level or lower unless it wishes to be. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.

Can a rakshasa allow someone to cast Haste on it, then when the Haste wears off, decide they no longer "wish to be" affected by the spell and ignore the end-of-spell penalty?
>>
>>57963902
You make that sand coarse, rough, irritating, and have it get everywhere.
>>
>>57964917
You could have a paladin who's all by-the-books. Have an odd couple relationship.
>>
>>57964945
the angel and devil on his shoulders?
>>
>>57964969
No, them ending the spell on their own would still trigger the penalty, since it's not a negative enchantment woven into the spell, it's just the body being unable to handle so much exertion.
>>
File: Hippo.png (74 KB, 464x768)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
Wanted to expand the natural bestiary. This seem alright for a Hippo? Discarding the joke about alignment.
>>
>>57965070
War Cleric is a tactical genius whose plans are always ruined by the Zealot Barbarian who runs directly into the enemy
>>
>>57964969
depends on if you view the penalty as magical or physical in origin
>>
>>57965104
I would tone it down well below the mammoth statblock, basically a triceratops with swim speed and intimidation bonuses?
>>
>>57965104
Lower the AC, the hippo does not have a thicker hide than a dragon.
Otherwise, it's a pretty good statblock for the deadliest land animal on earth.
>>
Which 5E class is closest to Pathfinder's Witch? Warlock seems to come close, with the warlock's Eldritch Invocations matching up to the witch's Hexes. Wizard also comes close, by using Intelligence and being able to prepare spells. However, neither are able to use healing or resurrection spells without choosing a divine themed archetype. How can I build a Cleric or Druid to be like a witch?
>>
>>57965211
Honestly Mammoths should have higher AC too.
I should probably drop the AC to like 19 though anyways. 24 was mostly a joke.

>>57965207
Pft, hell no. It's a hippo. I should probably drop it to CR 5 though.
>>
>>57965244
Wizard or Sorcerer
>>
>>57965104
>AC 24
No. More like 17.

>damage resistances to nonmagical weapons
Ah yes, an effective 238 hitpoints. Excellent.

Everything else is fine, but holy shit those two are nuts.

Let's assume that you have a bunch of peasants throwing javelins at this thing. With the stats you've given it, it would take an average of 529 peasants to take it down in six seconds, because anything less will mean that many people will die every round. It needs to be toned down a little.
>>
>>57965244
Find a homebrew such as this
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJpjo51ve
>>
File: Hippo.png (69 KB, 464x768)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>57965292
I mean look at how effective peasants in Africa are against a Hippo.
>they're not
Anyways here's a nerfed version.
>>
>>57965104
Alignment: Hungry Hungry
>>
>>57964495
Keep the planar history narrowed to be one location the players go through, base it on a quirky history in real life, and theme it like >>57964653 said. Then you can loop back and build what was there based on what the players did. Think about recording audio and listening back and using their own ideas later.

Just don’t overthink it and keep monsters thematic. Another thing I like to do in planes is make traps that are fairly useless against outsiders to the plane, but would be effective to the residents.
>>
File: Hippo.png (69 KB, 464x768)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>57965334
Ah sorry for spam.

4 without MA could be a thing, but 5 I think is ok.
Less damage than a Triceratops and lower to hit, but multiattack and higher AC.
>>
>>57965435
Make sure to change Charge, it still has 'Trample' as the attack that triggers the damage. It should be a Bite attack, otherwise Stomp can't really happen unless the hippo wastes an attack on Shove.
>>
Anyone know any good online character builders or have they all been neutered by licensing?
>>
>>57965493
Yeah I noticed that and fixed it.
Then it glitched and has 7 Con now for some reason. I wish I had a more stable monster creator.
>>
>>57965495
I've always used a downloaded version of pathguy's character builder. It doesn't have any of the new releases but it works well enough.
>>
>>57965334
Good, but merge charge and trample into trampling charge, and the wording should be "The Hippo can use its bonus action to make a stomp attack on any prone creatures" since trample attack is not on his actions list.
>>
>>57965510
If all you need is one little number change, just use paint to do it.
>>
File: Hippo.png (66 KB, 464x768)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>57965535
>>57965542
Well the way it works it still has an action to Stomp, but if it does it doesn't have the multiattack to make two Bites. It can Bite twice or Stomp once.
>>
>>57965495
OrcPub is good. Check the OrcPub subreddit for a link to the discord, where you can get "homebrew" content to upload.
>>
>>57965495

I use CharForge.
>>
>>57965622
Fuck me I'ma kill myself
>>
>>57963902
Deserts are varied AF.
There's the typical Saharan, then Arizona-styled, Australian Deserts, Salt Flats, Mountainous Deserts.
Don't think for a second that you can't describe a desert as just sand, there's always an opportunity to have landmarks, small huts, oases, ruins of a long-abandoned town, etc.
>>
>>57965104
Just some nitpicks in addition to what everyone else has already said. There aren't any beasts in the Monster Manual with proficiency in Nature or Survival. Yes, it boggles my mind too; I guess WotC assumed we would rule that a hippo should automatically succeed on Nature and Survival checks related to being a hippo. Also, the only beasts in the Monster Manual with proficiency in Athletics are apes.
>>
>>57965495
>>57965633
>>
File: Hippo.png (66 KB, 464x768)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>57965746
That's fair. I guess I should keep it as PHB as possible.
What other creatures aren't represented in D&D for some pretty tough stuff? I was thinking Komodo Dragon might work. The base would probably be CR 1/4 but a Giant Komodo Dragon would fit in D&D pretty well I think.
>>
I'm planning on doing a whimsical fight to tone down all the edgydark in our campaign. How does this sound:

>Rakshasa bard
>Uses lute to cast magical spells, plays support to a party of tuckers kobolds
>will sacrifice lute to avoid getting memed by arrows, start to hum-cast spells instead
>if he gets silenced, he'll start slapping his knees/clicking, etc to cast
He's got different spell sets for each casting style, entirely focused on supporting the kobolds and disrupting (but not killing) the party.
Would you be upset if you faced this encounter, or would it be fun?
>>
>>57965856
The base would be CR 1, and give it some kind of poison or disease like the death dog's bite.
>>
>>57965857
>if he gets silenced, he'll start slapping his knees/clicking, etc to cast
how is he going to get silenced?

anyway, sounds potentially fun. depends on how resistable/disruptive the spells are. what level is this party? i'm worried because if I feel like if kobolds are even remotely a threat the party will have no chance saving against the rakshasa's spells.
>>
>>57965938
A Komodo's venom prevents blood clots, so I was thinking it'd be something that just bleeds for 1 point of damage per round/minute/hour? until the creature recovers at least 1 hit point or a Healer's Kit is used to stem the bleeding.
>>
>>57965963
I don't know. As far as I can tell, none of our party has silence.

Look up tuckers kobolds. Minor enemies can be quite lethal if the environment supports it.
>>
Hypothetically, if you were to build an anti-mage character by PC rules, what would you use?
I'm making a group of anti-mages that just hunt down the most obnoxious of casters. They'll generally be the same level as the party, maybe a level lower at best.
Using a level 6 Vuman as an example, I'd probably go with something like 5 Fighter/1 Barb, Alert.
With this they'd have 20 strength, advantage on strength checks, and are likely to go before the mage, and run around equipped with gags and shit to use to stop mages from doing their shenanigans. It's just a bunch of buff guys that really hate mages.
As they go up in level they'd grab two levels in Rogue for expertise athletics + better movement options.
>>
File: 1506466361147.jpg (1.39 MB, 1920x1080)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
what is the difference between a paladin, zealot barbarian and a cleric? fluff wise
>>
>>57965993
Woops, meant to say 18 Str. 20 Str would be next level
>>
File: 1510099614362.jpg (36 KB, 480x480)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
So I want to watch some "professional" dnd on YouTube. I didn't care much for Critical Role.

I really enjoyed "The Provokers" (watched all of their campaign posted online and loved it). They had a more or less stable crew all during the run, the story was fairly solid, and the roleplaying was quite nice. Could anyone kindly recommend me a complete campaign (or one currently in-progress that more-or-less won't be dropped)? I'm OK with more or less anything. Thanks.
>>
>>57965997
Zealot barbarians and clerics don't make a magic promise and paladins don't have to be related to religion.
>>
>>57965993

oath of the ancients paladins who can spread his spell resistance aura to his melee team and grants them huge bonuses to their saving throws.

are you doing this to screw over a specific party member because it can be a little shitty. really shouldn't be building npcs with pc rules.
>>
>>57965857
They are around bottom right alignment i presume? Just exile them from good country, forcing them to long rest in wilderness/edgydark town where they can get back stab anytime.
>>
>>57966020
I'm building it for the sake of building it. In a world with magic being prevalent, there'd need to be counters to mages that aren't just other mages - and while I know there's anti-magic fields, they'd likely just be reserved for these guys' home base. These are just characters who just happen to really hate magic and will go out of their way to fuck with renowned Wizards, or are hired as mercenaries to do so.
>>
>>57965989
My point was more this:
>The rakshasa can't be affected or detected by spells of 6th level or lower unless it wishes to be. It has advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.
>>
I notice that in the trove there are files that relate to fantasy grounds. I have been considering in moving my game to fantasy grounds rather than roll20 however the purchase of content to which I already own is a big no-no for me.

How does these files work? are they just plug ins that just basically add those rules and things? Am I still able to run a 5e game and just punch in all the data myself, just the data I need or will i need those dnd packs?

Thanks in advance guys
>>
>>57966048
>>57966020
Also, I don't understand why you shouldn't be building NPCs with PC rules. Maybe in your games PCs are meant to be above everyone, even NPCs, but there are still people who are just really exceptional people who happened to not have picked the adventurer lifestyle.
I stick to PC-building rules because it's the absolute easiest way to keep fights between PCs and humanoid NPCs balanced.
>>
>>57966057
I've toned it down a bit for my one. But as far as I know, our only caster is the magic arrow fighter dude.
>>
File: Komodo Dragon.png (61 KB, 464x768)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>57965938
>>
Actor on a Bardlock with the at-will Disguise self could just straight up steal the identity of anyone. Scary to think about.
>>
>>57966140
I'll put more damage on the poison, after all thats what normally would get you killed in real life, or at least some other disadvantages.
>>
>>57966178
It's just a regular Komodo, not a Giant Komodo. Komodos are dangerous but unless there's a group of them they don't pose considerable risk to a human.
>>
>>57966154
>Bardlock steals the identity of Town Guard Captain
>Bardlock goes up to the Mayor, claims that someone in specific needs to go to jail
>Mayor looks at the disguised Bardlock and says "You're be the Town Guard"
>Bardlock looks at the DM and asks why; he rolled over 30.
>Mayor looks at him and says "Because I'm the Town Guard Captain", and pulls his face off, revealing the Town Guard Captain
>>
>>57966204
You can't be* fuck
>>
>>57966204
>The entire settlement is just a bunch of people stealing each other's identities
>>
>>57966235
>the entire town is just a bunch of Bardlocks
>men will frequently trade wives for a day and pretend to be each other, not knowing the wives swapped places with each other
>everyone thinks they're tricking each other
>every new person who enters the town has to figure out who is who as they pretend to be each other
>players are rolling insight on every single person, no one knows if it's a false or true response from insight
>players just nuke the town
>>
>>57966267
>business transactions are next to impossible
>nobody is able to take out a loan because nobody is sure who is actually taking out the loan
>the local lord doesn't bother collecting taxes from these people because his tax collectors always come back with string and lint
>>
File: Komodo Dragon.png (65 KB, 464x768)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>57966178
Here's an updated one tho.

Komodo dragon venom technically only makes your blood unable to clot. It's not actually deadly in any way by itself.
>>
File: Giant Komodo Dragon.png (66 KB, 464x768)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>57966318
And Giant.
>>
>>57964965
Glamour Bard, Celestial pact
>>
>the UA was so bad it killed 5eg
>>
>>57966341
>Glamour Bard

Why did I not read the Bard section? This is absolutely perfect, holy fuck, thank you.
>>
>>57966375
It's actually pretty clever:
Rangers are shit, so now there is an excuse to actually getting lost
>>
Rolled 10, 5, 15, 20, 17, 3 = 70 (6d20)

Gaze upon my girthy ranger.
>>
Rolled 7, 2, 4, 6, 10, 5 = 34 (6d10)

>>57966452
Your Ranger is little more than a wise twig compared to my glorious Monk
>>
Rolled 1, 5, 13, 20, 13, 17 = 69 (6d20)

>>57966492
Now here's his strength when he gets serious
>>
>>57966407
No there isn't because Outlander background is OP.
>>
File: 1505865499347.jpg (86 KB, 720x478)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Rolled 14, 6, 7, 5, 7, 10 = 49 (6d20)

>>57966452
PUNNY LITTLE RANGER FACE MY BARBARIAN RAGE
>>
>>57966510
lol
>>
does it really matter if a weapon does bludgeoning, slashing or piercing damage if it's magical?
>>
>>57966539
He's a Cobalt Soul okay, leave him alone
>>
File: bard.jpg (7 KB, 129x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Rolled 19, 20, 11, 6, 11, 20 = 87 (6d20)

It's my time to shine.
>>
>>57966558
Well shit. I'm stupid as hell but I'll take it.
>>
>Watching that play through of Tomb of Annihilation
>Cuck DM actually goes through with the "LICH TELEPORTS AWAY" ending

lich wank is the worst and that is an anti-climax as a DM that anyone who isn't a total idiot knows not to sick on your party, especially after you fucking killed one of them at the very start of the combat by dunking them in lava

If you're in this thread, you ran that final encounter like shit
>>
>>57966547
Yes. The skeleton bludgeoning vulnerability doesn't care about whether your sword is magic.
>>
Rolled 14, 18, 18, 17, 2, 19 = 88 (6d20)

>>57966536
MEET YOUR MAKER, WELCOME TO WIZARD TERRITORY.
>>
>>57966083
it's actually usually the opposite, you want an npc to be stronger than an equivalent pc
>>
Rolled 10, 1, 3, 4, 20, 19 = 57 (6d20)

meme
>>
File: wizard.png (7 KB, 190x221)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>57966600
>2 wisdom muscle wizard

By god
>>
>>57966583
Uh. What playthrough? Where? Who?
>>
>>57966649
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0P5FFrMo4g
>>
File: killme.png (703 KB, 776x520)
703 KB
703 KB PNG
>Bunch of people at uni are really keen to try out D&D
>We organise a time after a common class
>Bust out LMOP for something quick and dirty
>5 players all with pregens
>Players proceed to ignore every fucking plot hook
>Employer might be in trouble? Nah, he'll figure it out.
>Problems around town? Their problems aren't our problems
>Random encounter? They try and run away, fighting only when no other option
>Session ends after 2 hours
>Players talk about how much fun that was
>They want to go exploring another town

I'm now effectively playing tour guide to the forgotten realms.
>>
File: 1512681706831.png (5.46 MB, 2048x2048)
5.46 MB
5.46 MB PNG
Rolled 11, 3, 8, 6, 12, 15 = 55 (6d20)

>>57966452
THE HEXBLADE HAS CURSED YOU, SCUM
>>
>>57966696
At least they want to do something and are having fun instead of sitting on their dicks miserably. Keep it up, anon.
>>
File: 1506207090364.png (224 KB, 800x687)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>57966709
>implying sitting in your dick isn't fun
>>
>>57966730
>be me
>sitting down to poop
>junk flops down
>the toilet seat cover is still down
I can confirm first hand that it isn't.
>>
>>57966583
Well, lich trait is superiority complex and they don't want to die. If you want the adventure not anti-climactic, make him reappear at area 57 thanks to the tomb fritzing his teleportation (it's what should happen in the first place).
If you want a serious fight, make PCs fight Soul Monger, Atropal and Acererak at the same time.
>>
So I want to make a tactician character who sucks at fighting himself. Would a Lore Bard be a good fit? I just don't want him to actually have to play an instrument.
>>
>>57966822
Mastermind Rogue.
>>
>>57964806
>>57964850

This frustration has some merit. By not using a standard and instead using this obtuse CR system it's quite difficult to make new monsters or adjust existing ones and accurately gauge their new CR.
>>
>>57966696
Just trap them in Barovia. If they want to be tourists in any other town they have to defeat Strahd.
>>
>>57966822
Yea, a lore bard orator would be a good fit
>>
>>57966583
>lich wank is the worst
Butthurt fleshbag detected
>>
My players are caught between a werewolf/vampire turf war and are likely siding with werewolves. Looking over the statblocks it seems like werewolves would be immune to vampire claw attacks and only take the necrotic damage from their bite, right? Outside of spells vampires don't have magical attacks, or am I reading this wrong?
>>
>cast Silence on a Lich
>it pulls out crystals and casts spells using them without the need for somatic
I was getting real close to calling bullshit on that one
>>
>>57965104
I feel like it should have advantage on things done in the water or when doing things in the water.
>>
>>57966822
Glamour Bard has built in tactical movement. I always wanted to do a Paladin/Glamour Bard that was a battlefield commander
>>
>>57966825
This. Give party members advantage on attacks.

>Starting at 3rd level, you can use the Help action as a bonus action. Additionally, when you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than within 5 feet of you, if the target can see or hear you.
>>
>>57967018
>Thinking that a Lich wouldn't have dozens of Ioun Stones of Reserve
>>
>>57966011
Heroes and halfwits
People leave but they get people to play the charcthers
>>
>>57967018
Your own fault for not casting antimagic field.
>>
>>57966990

give the vampires silvered weapons.
>>
>>57966011
Door Monster

not exactly what you're looking for but it's good
>>
File: 1465008316205.jpg (38 KB, 599x449)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>In an encounter where a wizard serving a local corrupt lord is about to snitch on us.

>Wizard in the team busts out a Union of Concerned Wizard's card that was mentioned in his background organization as a joke

>Gets in a lucky persuasion.

>Wizard looks the other way for a "union brother".
>>
>>57967018
Your fault for thinking that anti-magic options would work on mages
>>
>>57966696
>starting with LMOP and not a one-shot

just make sure the next town has
>employer in trouble
>problems around town
>random encounter
you know, but "different"

maybe add some shit tier loot quest
>THE HOLY HANDGRENADE OF ANTIOCH!
or some shit and have that put them on LMOP
>>
File: filthy dm.png (2.33 MB, 1560x1160)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB PNG
>>57967208
meanwhile the DM is just happy you didn't murderhobo first and think of your backgrounds never
>>
Forge domain cleric brass Dragonborn. He is his own blast furnace.
>>
>>57964965
I mean, shouldn't your pact be to a fey lord? Like a king of the fey?
>>
>>57967228
>starting with THE starter kit adventure is somehow wrong
Are you kidding me?
>>
>>57967252
>decide to not murderhobo
>every single enemy has some annoying ass backstory that is a generic case of 'but you can moralize in my favour and sympathize so I'm not all bad xd' backstory
>regret not murderhoboing

>decide to murderhobo
>every enemy is a legitimate villain that just wants to do evil shit for the sake evil shit
>regret murderhoboing because it was actually a good villain for once
>>
>>57963902
>How do you effectively run a desert setting when almost all of the terrain can be described as "sand"?
Simple, you describe it hot, course, and it gets everywhere.
>>
>>57966140
Saved for later use- a couple of these could be quite threatening for a low level party, fits well in that niche.
>>
>>57967294
I feel like having a mix of the two is what makes the game fun. Sometimes you murder hobo sometimes you don't. The Dm can just save interesting characters for situations where it's cool.
>>
>>57964495
Return to [X plan you saw before]

Wizards has been doing it for years.
>>
>>57967267
Hot
>>
>>57967320
>>>/leddit/
>>
>>57964495
rampant plagairism. Think of things you're pretty sure none of your players have read/watch/played before then go full Kingdom Hearts and copypasta now featuring The Party.

They'll never know the difference, except maybe, maybe years later.
>>
My gf and I are the two DMs for our TTRPG group. We came together and built some house rules to deal with Wizards being too effective at every role.

>non-school spells take twice as long to add to spellbook, cost twice as much
>non-school spells cannot be taken from levelling
>bladesinger exists in her setting; does not in mine
>want loremaster? use the homebrew I made

What do you guys think?
>>
>>57966990
Use Thralls and have them use silver weapons and attack during the day so that there masters will have a easy fight at night
>>
File: Komodo Dragon.png (64 KB, 464x768)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>>57967322
Neat.

Use this stat block though.
>>
I need an Evil DM move because my players love that stuff: Which is the better hackneyed twist?
>PC isn't actually her mother's daughter and that's why her mother hates her
>PC IS her mother's daughter, but her mother pretends the PC is a bastard anyway because she's projected her self-loathing onto the PC and wants one of them to kill the other to end her mania once and for all
>>
File: Bounty Hunter.png (139 KB, 464x1268)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
Also I've been making a Bounty Hunter statblock
>>
>>57967280
That might make sense and work with Glamour Bard, but the literal otherworldly, star-based aspect requires Celestial or GOO. Fey is still semi-terrestrial.
>>
File: Bounty Hunter Veteran.png (158 KB, 464x1418)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
And one for a stronger veteran who's seen some shit.

>>57967400
Oh Jesus man I usually avoid parent stuff as a DM.
>>
>playing a 5e cleric in a demon-heavy campaign
>read about planar binding spell
>works on demons
>threads keep mentioning using inverted magic circle to trap a summoned fiend
Couldn't my party just find a strong demon, kick its ass and deal non-lethal damage for the finishing blow, then tie it up while I cast planar binding on it? We could heal it after the binding sticks.
>>
>>57966600
why do wizards always get the good stuff, even rolls?
>>
File: image.png (801 KB, 1280x720)
801 KB
801 KB PNG
>>57967400
>>PC isn't actually her mother's daughter
>>
>>57967445
We're just that good.
>>
>>57967369
This is what i do.
Every time creature cast spell, make a con. check. Save equal to 4+spell level (cantrip is one). If fail give one level of exhaustion (madness for warlock).
Note that save line is pretty low and they rarely fail. But it's more than enough for them to not abuse spell, and make scroll more important.
>>
>>57966822
Wizard.
No seriously. He's bad at fighting because instead he specialized in organizing his troups and changing the battlefield with spells to turn the tides of war. A buff here, difficult terrain there, increased mobility elsewhere, an illusion to distract, you'd be surprised how much this all can help an army without ever dealing damage.
>>
>>57967018
but think, after it dies, YOU get those stones.
>>
>>57967517
>>57967369

Just ban wizards if you're going to make it suck ass to play as them. Remember that spells are LITERALLY the wizards only feature; outside of a few subclass abilities everything they get is related to spell casting. If you're going to make it miserable for Wizards to cast spells (i.e. do anything ever) just don't let people play wizards.

Also why would you make life worse for non hexblade warlocks.

>>57967369

This isn't nearly as miserable but I think rather than make wizards worse you should just let your other characters do cool shit.
>>
>>57967294
Maybe the DM is trying to match the world to your actions so you're not running around committing atrocities. When you're killing everything he gives you saturday morning cartoon villains so "it's okay" and when you're being merciful he breaks out the character depth.
>>
>>57967408
Fey are in the feywild. IT's an entirely different plane, they just pop in to cause havoc.
>>
>>57967567
Wizard trivializes so many things because at a certain point they're basically going, "I've got a spell for that. Don't bother."

They need limits to their spell lists. Not to their ability to cast, just the spells. Making the base wizard generalist is the stupidest fucking thing ever. Wizards should be specialized and should require more investment for spells that are outside their area of expertise.
>>
>>57967596
Except it's not character depth. When I said 'characters being evil for the sake of evil', it's literally just that. The guy wants to kill shit, the end.
A DM having a backstory is infinitely more development, but it's also the most generic go-to to make a villain. Nowadays everyone thinks villains need a good backstory that you can sympathize with more than villains just being villains because they're villains.
My DM is a guy I've known for 10 years. If anything, it's the opposite. When the party is being merciful he makes us regret our actions because he wants to fuck with us with generic villain backstories. When we're not merciful he goes "I just wanted to kill everyone because I'm an ass and that's fun" and I actually wanted him to live longer.
>>
>>57967445
Portent my dude.
>>
>>57966696
As a forever DM, just listen to >>57967228.

like >>57966859 said also works, but I'd reccomend Death house, if DH also completely traps your party.
Everything in the adventure is either pretty overt or can be made overly so for players, IIRC and also has some basic treasure and a big boss you can toss at them.
>>
>>57967621

Spell slots are a power investment. Like I said, the Wizards ONLY feature is the fact that he casts spells the best. Even most of their archtype features are "you cast this type of spell better". More over, Wizards prepare spells AREN'T infinite, if they're preparing a huge tool box for whatever non-combat scenario you throw at them then they're not preparing their fighting spells. If they're preparing spells to help deal with combat encounters then they're not preparing their other spells. More over, if the Wizard fixes a problem by casting a spells that's really not too much of a problem because that is their entire role in the party; solve problems by casting spells.
>>
>>57967636
>I portent my stat rolls
>>
>>57967567
That's just one option and the early madness is just a nuance like "can't sleep without hat" and i already discuss it at session zero. Banning them outright is more dickish move imo.
If i want to play it according to lore, then i just send Slaad when one of the spell-caster unlock third level spell.
Good point about the wizard, i think i'll give them advantage at saving throw.
>>
File: 9l8eZ8nD_400x400.png (64 KB, 298x298)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>this unearthed arcana
>>
>>57967228
The only reason not to start with LMOP is if anyone in the group has listened to The Adventure Zone beforehand and won't be able to stop thinking about how they did it
>>
>>57967369
>non-school spells take twice as long to add to spellbook, cost twice as much
But this is an existing rule with different phrasing. [School] Savant makes it twice as quick and cheap to copy spells of the Wizard's school.
>non-school spells cannot be taken from levelling
So, War Magic Wizards (for example) get no spells because there is no "war" school of magic? Dumb. This actively discourages people from playing schools with fewer spells available while Evokers are barely touched.

>>57967567
>Remember that spells are LITERALLY the wizards only feature; outside of a few subclass abilities everything they get is related to spell casting.
Nah, the class abilities are pretty mighty, too. Especially for Divination.
>>
>>57964495
Have an enemy trap them somewhere they can't port out of magically.
>>
File: 77.jpg (41 KB, 600x579)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>57967662
>be level 8 Wizard
>have 12 spells
>too stupid to have a mix of the most bullshit spells with that many options
>>
>>57967710
>Nah, the class abilities are pretty mighty, too. Especially for Divination.
.. the class abilities need spells to fucking function, you acoustic fuck.
>>
can someone explain to me why I'd want the retainers from the noble background instead of the pedigree papers?
>>
>It's another "Wizards are bullshit" "Nuh -uh!" episode
I've seen this one already.
>>
>>57967662
>More over, if the Wizard fixes a problem by casting a spells that's really not too much of a problem because that is their entire role in the party
I put anti-magic fields all over the place because of people like you. The job of the entire party is to fix problems. Wizards just play that game on easy mode.
>>
File: 1475098084055.png (69 KB, 300x162)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>57966825
>>57967154
Not same anon, but I'm DMing and a completely new player wants to a rouge and saw MM in xanathars and wanted to run it. I'm fairly certain the class is too underwhelming for the player actual combat wise, is there anything I can do to spice it up a little?
Like maybe add half of another rouge archetype ability or another classes on top of another feature at 3 or 9?
I really don't want to tell him to play a different archetype or class, cause he's super hype about his character idea, and I know he's going to use Master of Intrigue in fun ways or ways that surprise me.

It's a very van-hellsing type of group, really focused on going after anything that preys on civilians, if that matters.

Sub question: how fun for the DM is insightful manipulators? it seems like it's the kind of feature that either gets old fast or is never used, especially the latter part.
>>
>>57967691

Warlocks outside of hexblade and other multiclassing cheese are already one of the weaker classes in the game. It's cool as a flavor thing but it's also pretty crappy in that warlocks really don't need you making things harder on them.

>>57967710

One of those features is a spell casting. The other one is a buff to their initial feature. They get 2 features (enhanced vision and portent which IS good) and then everything else effects their spell casting. Some schools are better than others (I think Transmutation and Enchantment off the top of my head) for giving Wizards features but it's still maxing out at 4 things they have that aren't based off spell.

>>57967728

You can get a decent mix of spells in there, but you're never going to be able to have enough spells to solve EVERY problem. Even with rituals.
>>
>>57967369
Better idea. Preperation limiting.

The spells he prepares each day must be primarily spells from his chosen school. If he has 4 slots, 2 must be school. If he has 25 slots, 13 must be school. (you may want to jimmy with these numbers it's just off the top of my head. since War Magic needs evoc and Abjur maybe a 1/4+1/4 split? I also know divination is low on spells to take in some levels)

Rather than a make a bunch of different rules and all of them beating around the bush, if the problem is that wizards aren't specialized enough when they choose a school, then just attack that problem directly.
>>
File: 19.jpg (19 KB, 358x231)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>57967774
>there's a list of 50 problems
>but because I can only solve 49 of them I can't solve every problem
>>
>>57967767

That's like putting anti skill check fields everywhere because Rogue's are too good at solving problems with expertise and reliable talent.

Seriously, I'll never understand why people complain so hard about Wizards when Bards have slightly less spells in exchange for Cutting Words, Expertise, Jack of All Trades, the ability to steal any spell from any class....
>>
What do wizards do exactly that other classes can't?
>>
>>57967791
Stuff that other non-wizard classes can do.
>>
>>57967788
But you see anon-kun because Wizards can cast wish that means they're really every class at once :^)
>>
>>57967786

At level 8 you can solve 12 problems. If you're preparing for combat at all you're probably solving 4-8 problems. You can do so a limited amount of times per day before you're stuck slinging firebolts and praying to god nothing decides it wants to murder you, because once you run out of spell slots and anything remotely threatening gets close to you you are going to die with your 0 armor and d6 hit dice.
>>
File: Hobbes is happy.jpg (22 KB, 149x310)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>57967401
Fucking saved, thanks.
I've needed that for going after my not quite villanous party.

They're just
They're just so edgy
Beyond featuring "dante from devil may cry" level edge/spoiler]
>>
>>57967806

Whatever you say Bard-kun. I'd disagree but it's not like I can ever hope to compete with your +17 diplomacy checks.
>>
What would you name a weapon that's effectively a Flametongue greatsword but with lightning instead of fire? Not as a general term, but a specific name.
>>
>>57967817
Consider, a Bounty Hunter, if not working with another BH, would hire Thugs to do the dirty work while he hid and went after someone isolated while the Thugs took the brunt of the attention.
>>
>>57967710
We haven't actually picked up Xanathar yet but once we get it, I'll probably pick out the two most important schools and have them be normal cost to learn + learnable at level-up. I think someone mentioned Evocation and Abjuration? They could learn those spells as normal when levelling up. Everything else would require finding a source to learn from.

>>57967776
I like it. At least half of their prepared spells MUST be from their school. I might drop double cost, double time to learn but keep "can't learn non-school spells at level-up."
>>
>>57967791
They have the biggest arsenal of tools, problem fixes, utility, and "unorthodox solutions"

End of the day every other caster class has less versatility and is far more likely to enter a situation where there magical is sub-optimal than a Wizard
>>
>>57967662
I have never once seen this be an actual problem for wizards, only heard people online claim its as such while rabidly defending wizard.
It is, in fact, almost the exact same arguments they made for 3.5 as well.

Ya know, I don't remember it being brought up nearly as much for AD&D or 2e though. Probably because when Magic-Users got hit they lost the spell they were casting full stop, had d4 hitdice, and had to roll randomly for their spells known, INSURING that they did not always have the best solution for every job so they had to actually solve things instead of waving it away with their wand and that they always actually needed the fighting man around to keep them safe while they casted and to help solve the problems they didn't prepare or didn't know spells for.
>>
>>57967788
No, it's the equivalent of giving more incentive to do more than just Scry the shit you want and find some dumb way to get close enough to Dimension Door to it.
A Wizard's player ignoring spells has to think on a realistic level and about the actual problem at hand.
A Wizard's player involving spells gets to think about not only the realistic level, but what's the most bullshit way they can circumvent the actual problem at hand and get credit for doing everything.
>when Bards
Because Bards have a significantly more limited field of options. Even when they get their Magical Secrets they have to be incredibly selective and have enough forethought to get the most use out of them, because those ones aren't getting replaced.

>>57967791
>big bad does a speech
>Portent Wizard flails his arms and the big bad gets Banished
Short of giving every single boss LR or creating direct counters to the Wizard every major fight, there's no way to deal with a Wizard who just wants to do dumb shit.
When it comes to martials you can just throw an enemy at it with decent stats and they're generally going to have a challenge.
Short of intentionally singling out a Wizard with mechanics specifically made to invalidate him (LR, focusing him with nothing but shit that he can't save against, because he's just going to Shield any form of normal attack) he just dicks your entire boss fight.
When it comes to social or exploration the Wizard just looks through his book and goes, "hey this one basically says 'fuck this specific situation"
>>
File: 636272705936709430.png (179 KB, 420x561)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>57967867

They really do invalidate every other caster don't they. I just can't imagine wanting to play something useless like a bard when the party has a wizard in it.
>>
>>57967846
Aiko?
If not, I just gave a player a greatsword called Stormspine which was carved from the spine of an Ancient Blue Dragon they just killed. It's basically the same thing as a flametongue -> lightningtongue.
>>
>>57967817
Also he'd probably use his firebomb to set up a trap, some flammable material in an alley, he tosses it down, suddenly a wall of fire has split the party in two. Also makes for a good getaway.
>>
>>57967865
Unsure about if that level of scheming is worth dropping on a level 3 party, but thanks anyway.
>>
>>57967757
capable henchmen are a rare blessing. Just because they're not directly combat useful doesn't mean they aren't incredibly useful of their own accord.
>>
>>57967788
except Rogues still fail a decent percentage of the time, and have to actually find solutions to roll their successfulness for. Wizards just get a 'it happens" button.
>>
File: 16211566.jpg (98 KB, 480x480)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>57967809
>one spell can only solve one problem
>take four high damage spells of differing levels with differening aoes or to-hit types, solve every combat encounter, maybe take shield because why not, cast everything at higher level as needed
>take eight utility spells that involve just flying over the entire encounter/ignoring the gimmick, teleporting through the wall, instantly finding where the enemy is located, having some stupid hand point you in the exact direction you're meant to go, a charm spell because why not, a familiar so you have infinite vision while remaining safe, a major illusion-type spell to fix your appearance/fool other people
>>
>>57967791
have a finger in every pie, more or less simultaneously.
>>
>Play with 3 groups
>I'm the only one who plays Wizard because everyone thinks they're too difficult/not useful

I bet some of you folks wish you had my groups
>>
>>57967908
But anon, thugs are only cr1/2

Uh yeah, only 3rd level huh, he'd probably still hire some dudes but two thugs would be deadly, as would two BH. Two Bandit stats as hired muscle would work though.
>>
>>57967882

It's not a "problem", it's just the entire design of the class. It's why I get so sick of people saying "wizards are op because they cast a spell to solve a problem". No shit? That's THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE CLASS.

>>57967884

Bards have less spells but have a vast array of features to make up for it and can also cherry pick the best spells from every class to add to their list.

>Portent wizard flails his arm and big bad gets banished

That solves the problem for, at most, a minute, unless your bad guy is an outsider in which case the encounter becomes "protect the wizard from reinforcements so they can't disrupt his concentration". Not to mention the wizard has to roll low enough on the die to make it count either way. You're also ignoring something like "bard uses cutting words to make boss fail his saving throw and then get banished".

>short of giving every boss LR

this is a good idea. There are A LOT of save or sucks in this game, not just on the Wizard's spell list (contagion, plane shift, hold person/monster).

>going to shield attacks

GOOD. MAKE HIM SHIELD ATTACKS YOU DIMWIT. You WANT to make the wizard burn spell slots on keeping himself a live. Make him misty step, make him shield or absorb elements. Half the problem people have with wizards is that they DON'T MAKE THEM USE SPELL SLOTS AND THEN WONDER WHY THE WIZARD CAN DO EVERYTHING. And, here's the kicker, sometimes attacks will still hit through shield, because Wizards have trash AC.
>>
File: Darknut_1.png (397 KB, 600x328)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
>>57967899
Who? This one would be made of metal, I kinda might be making my own as a character soon so I wanted to come up with something kinda special. Character's a knight-esque Bugbear Battlemaster with a Pirate background inspirited by Wind Waker Darknuts, so I thought this'd be cool.
Stormspine is a pretty cool name, though.
>>
>>57967756
Using Divination as an example:
>When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled. You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see with one of these foretelling rolls.
This one isn't limited to spells.
>...choose one of the following benefits, which lasts until you are incapacitated or you take a short or long rest.
>Darkvision. You gain darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.
>Ethereal Sight. You can see into the Ethereal Plane within 60 feet of you.
>Greater Comprehension. You can read any language.
>See Invisibility. You can see invisible creatures and objects within 10 feet of you that are within line of sight.
And neither is this one.

Wizards have some pretty good subclass features on top of their spells.
>>
>>57967978
Just a note on the last point, Wizards don't caste Shield until after the attack dice was rolled not before, so they should never be entirely wasting the spell
>>
>>57967987
Plus they get a subclass for every spell school and more with every supplement.
The only class that might get more obvious bias is Cleric, or maybe Bard for having your fullcaster and being a skillmonkey gish too.
>>
>>57967756
>acoustic
hehehehe
>>
>>57967930

>Rogues still fail a decent amount of the time

the lowest they can get is a 10 on any skill check they're proficient in. They're proficient in A LOT of skills.

>>57967931

The problem with this "take blast spells LOL" bit is that blast spells won't actually do that much damage to a single target, ESPECIALLY if the targets are making their saves.

>cast at higher levels

this is level 8 what exactly higher level are you casting at. Your spell slots at that level are decent but if you cast too carelessly you'll find yourself out of spells and out of anything to do.

>familiar provides infinite vision

read the spell. you're definitely over blowing how much a wizard can do, especially without prep time.

>>57968005

I'm not saying you're making them waste the spell, but you're making them burn through their spell slots by forcing them to cast shield. The more spells you make me cast to defend myself, the less I can do for the other adventuring encounters.

>>57967980

I presume you deleted this post because you fucked up the last part of that second sentence, but I think it's worth replying too anyways because Wizards are kinda like Fighters in a way. It just so happens that Wizard's "thing they do well" is more flexible than fighter's, and if you think that's a problem with game balance then I think you should just make Fighters more fun, not make the wizard more of a chore to play. Part of that is on YOU, as the DM, too.
>>
>>57968018
To be fair, making the subclasses based on the schools was the obvious thing to do and once they made one they were basically stuck making all of them.

I guess they could have just never made another wizard archetype but that would be pretty lame in its own right.
>>
>>57968057
>I think you should just make Fighters more fun, not make the wizard more of a chore to play. Part of that is on YOU, as the DM, too.
Yeah, let me just get that 5th-edition approved Weeaboo Fightan Magic book that everyone agrees on. Oh, wait, that doesn't exist, and even if it did I can hear the 'wow it's so broken' complaints from here.
>>
>>57967978
>vast array of features
A vast array of combat-focused features that will still generally do less than a Wizard just dropping a fireball or a wall of force around people and killing them with no chance of response (a tactic that beats LR). Spells have an answer for every situation and a Wizard will generally have most of them in his book available at any given time. A Bard doesn't even come close in magical prowess and their features are irrelevant because they're not a Wizard who just uses wall of go fuck yourself.
I can deal with a Bard significantly easier than a Wizard, because they're simply just a weaker Wizard who is good at talking to people.
>at most a minute
If you hold concentration for a minute it keeps the target banished. You can never have an encounter with just a single enemy. You can never let the bad guy just meet a member of the party one-on-one, you can never have a cocky villain who rightfully deserves to be cocky, but just happened to not think about the fact a Wizard circumvents this plane of existence because 'why not'.
Also, the Bard can't even banish. The Wizard does it on his own, the Bard needs someone else, to specifically get it with Magical Secrets, and can still fail even in the best case scenario. The Portent Wizard just guarantees it.
>this is a good idea
You don't say - the difference is that it's a mechanic solely in the game because of shit like this. In fact, solely because Portent exists it's mandatory, and even if Portent didn't exist you'd need at least one LR on every major enemy solely for the Wizard so the Wizard doesn't immediately invalidate the encounter. And putting LR on humanoid NPCs who are just meant to be 'pretty good fighters with X backstory that makes them an antagonist' is fucking retarded. Not every single entity in the universe should be forced to have some omnipotent counter at all times just because a Wizard might walk by one day.
Doing nothing but focusing the Wizard will get any DM flack
>>
File: 73.jpg (28 KB, 500x500)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>57968057
>blast spells won't do that much to a single target
>he thinks I only said blast spells when I specifically said damage spells of varying uses
>what is casting lower level spells at higher level to match not having a higher level spell of the same usage because for that level you took one of a different benefit
>he doesn't think it's about flexibility, spell slots are irrelevant because you don't always have to use spell slots
>read the spell
>he doesn't know that the familiar can go as far as it wants and you can keep using its senses, you just can't communicate past 100 feet
>he doesn't know you can just tell the familiar to fly to a specific place, in a specific direction, to do specific things and have them follow it
>he doesn't know you can just teleport them back to you at will and give them a new command and a new direction based on what you saw in the previous trip
>he ignored the fact that it was literally proven you can have 4 - 5 combat spells and a spell for every other situation that only goes up with level making it even easier to specialize in the uses of each spell, even though non-retards would know how to take general-purpose spells and find a solution to any situation with them because you have more flexibility than any other class beyond any scope of measure or balance
>he never disproved that you can have an answer to any situation even though a claim was made that proves you can, instead just isolates point and intentionally misreads what they said
>he's in full blown damage control over the most busted shit in the entire game and genuinely thinks he's proving anything
>>
>>57968067

Like I said, part of that is on YOU, the DM. When the Fighter (or other martial, honestly) wants to do something that may not necessarily be supported by the rules, LET THEM DO IT. "I want to climb the dragon and do things to it's wings." The rules might not support that but you can still let them do it and I ensure you the Fighter will probably enjoy it because, spoiler alert, they probably picked fighter because they want to fight things. IT'S IN THE NAME OF THE CLASS.

>>57968075

>wall of force or fireball

2 things a bard can also do, sure. if your enemies don't have a counter to wall of force then maybe that's kinda your fault for designing an encounter that can be cheesed so easily. next time try adding:

A) Enemies that can counterspell
B) Enemies with alternative modes of transportation
C) Enemies who can attack through a wall of force to break concentration since apparently you're letting the Wizard do it anyways

>it keeps the target banished

read. the fucking. spell. it only banishes targets that aren't native to the plane.

>the bard needs someone else to...get it with magical secrets

have you fucking read the phb?

>the portent wizards gurantee it

once. if they rolled low enough the morning before your stupid bad guy decided to monologue like a dick head. I think you just designed a bad encounter and are salty about it. You shouldn't have a single bad guy most of the time anyways because action economy will fuck him harder than any wizard can.
>>
>>57968075

>solely because portent exists it's mandatory

or because no matter how tough and cool you made your bad guy npc out to be they sometimes roll low and lr is just insurance that they don't get screwed by bad luck. it's not for wizards, it's for ANY save or suck.

>Doing nothing but focusing the wizard will get any DM flak

if your players are babies sure. You probably shouldn't have every enemy ever focus on the wizard constantly but if your wizard is doing some scary shit they're going to draw heat, and because of trash AC and Hp they're going to have to respond to that heat or spend the rest of the fight tonguing the dirt.

>>57968125

>damaging spells of varying uses

damaging spells of varying uses STILL don't have that much damage per spell slot unless you're hitting a horde of mooks, in which case, that's on the DM.

>casting lower level spells at higher level

generally inefficient

>all that shit about find familiar

remember, familiars are animals with no HP and no AC. A stiff breeze will kill them. If your Wizard is sending familiars out willy nilly then punish them by just killing it. You can say "just dismiss it!" but dismissing it is an action and seeing through it's senses is ALSO an action so if it's outside the communication radius you can't check on it and keep it safe at the same time. Seeing through your familiar's senses also blinds and deafens you, leaving you vulnerable in your actual body.
>>
>>57968067
Kobold Press' Beyond Damage Dice might be a decent start to extend what martials can do with weapons.
>>
>>57968139
>Like I said, part of that is on YOU, the DM. When the Fighter (or other martial, honestly) wants to do something that may not necessarily be supported by the rules, LET THEM DO IT. "I want to climb the dragon and do things to it's wings." The rules might not support that but you can still let them do it and I ensure you the Fighter will probably enjoy it because, spoiler alert, they probably picked fighter because they want to fight things. IT'S IN THE NAME OF THE CLASS.
As much as I'd like to agree with this, this sort of logic applies to literally every class and thus grants flexibility like "Can I quickly freeze someone to death by using Create Water and Ray of Frost?"
The only way spellcasting classes of high power work is if they play the role of Gandalf. They DON'T or CAN'T solve every problem, they only do the stuff that needs to be done with magic and leave the slaying primarily to the people that signed up to do it.
I'm with Mr. Portent is an Abomination, I shouldn't have to slap a bunch of qualifiers on an NPC to not have him immediately die to whatever the Wizard happened to decide he was going to kill people with today. Polymorph is a personal hated spell of mine because when you do it to a PC it's a dick move and when a PC does it to a villain it's win or nothing.
>>
>>57965003
Literally some good cop, bad cop shit. Except it's more like good cop, serial killer kept barely on a leash cop.
>>
>>57967987
Ah yes, because one should fear the wizard with two lackluster class abilities and not the one with full spell slots.
What the fucking fuck.
>>
File: S6A3uFt.gif (3.89 MB, 720x404)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB GIF
Has anyone looked at Mike Mearl's kraken patron (and the giant soul sorcerer, i guess)?
Thoughts?
I'm watching it now and I'm kind of interested. Old one stuff seems to always fold over into sea territory (because it's fucking horrifying and deep) but curious to have a patron that's not ooh eldritch from beyond human comprehension ect.
Giant soul sounds like a cool idea too, but feels kinda flat.
most sorc stuff does, really
>>
>>57968238
>mearls
>sorcerer anything
And it's straight garbage, into the trash it goes.
Don't want sorcers to step on the God Wizards toes..
>>
>>57968207
>because you can't solo the entire encounter on your own with a single spell the class is balanced
>he thinks you can't have scorching ray for to-hit with on-hit, fireball for aoe, chromatic orb for single target/abusing vulnerabilities, and wall of fire to cook mooks and bosses alike, giving you an answer for every situation
>he thinks this isn't sheer insane flexibility combat wise or that you need more than this when you also have standard cantrips to pop and steal deal consistently high average dps at a distance
>it's on the dm even though every single thing is on the dm and it's expected that the dm accounts for every single little thing the wizard can do or else it's on the dm and the wizard isn't busted
>generally inefficient
>he thinks doing 5 more damage matters opposed to having a counter to absolutely every single situation in combat
>find familiars have no hp and ac
>as if it fucking matters because wind doesn't kill actual birds
>punish them by killing it
>because there's always something that immediately kills everything bad and that's not just the dm being a cunt at all to fuck over the wizard specifically because the wizard is abusing his bullshit which is the entire reason the class is cancer, because they can afford to abuse all this bullshit
>this something that kills it also has to be able to slaughter in the course of six seconds with no way of being seen in advance
>even applying combat rounds to out of combat shit unironically
>leaving you vulnerable in your actual body matters when you're sitting safely in a tavern and repeatedly sending shit out with your party nearby defending you
>he genuinely doesn't realize that if your dm has to constantly pull random thing after random thing out of nowhere to stop your advances that it's not a case of the class being so busted that it forced the dm to respond to something that can be abused that other characters can't do
>>
>>57968220
If an enemy gets polymorphed into a useless animal the secret is to get it hurt enough to transform back.
Happened to a wizard in my group once when the enemy he turned into a gecko got stomped on by a nearby goon for 3 damage and turned back to normal.
>>
>>57968281
If you're this mad about wizards, have you tried NOT playing D&D?
>>
>>57968281
Do you honestly think anyone wants to read your shitty wall of lime green text?
>>
File: 1518441460522.jpg (26 KB, 480x270)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
stat me
>>
>>57967216
Oh no, I don't think it's a problem. I'm just saying it changes the nature of the game a little.
>>
>>57968310
have two cards my dude
>>
>>57968310
The pot itself has no special properties. Contains two random cards from a Deck of Many Things.
>>
>>57968220
I don't think he realizes that if half the shit Wizards can pull out of their ass was dropped on the party, and a story like that was told her, the DM would be considered bad.
What if the big bad just so happened to Scry the party at a time when they didn't have an anti-Scrying magic item or spell, teleported into their house, summoned 8 creatures in secret and then immediately killed a specific party member?
What if the big bad just continuously found the party and threw fireballs at them and then teleport away before they had a chance to realize he was near?
The only reason big bads are even able to survive against Wizards that want to abuse all their bullshit is because, due to DM fiat, they've had time to magically set up all these counters specifically for Wizards, whereas for martials they just have to not be a weak faggot. And because they have contingencies for everything set up in advance.
What if an enemy was a Portent Wizard and decided that they really, really just wanted someone to die, gave them no save, immediately killed them with Finger of Death and turned them into a zombie after Scrying their position? Then before they even realized what was going on, he just left.

The easiest way to tell if something is balanced is to ask yourself 'if a big bad can do this to you out of nowhere with no prior warning, would it be considered acceptable?' In a spellcaster's case, most of their 'ingenious plans' would be considered work of a bad DM if it was turned back on them.
>>
Level-up, twelve now, very heavily leaning on tiny servant.
What cute/horrifying things can I animate to ruin people's day/hold a candle for me
>>
File: 22.jpg (231 KB, 960x686)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>57968302
>>57968308
>the only appropriate response to wizard bullshit being laid out plainly for them to see is 'lol don't play' and 'haha tl;dr'
priceless
>>
>>57968300
That's usually how I would solve it, but that means what, the target takes two damage and the wizard is out of a third-level slot? Again, it's either an 'I win' button or fucking useless. On the topic of Polymorph, I think Disintegrate being an instant kill for a Polymorphed target is an utter garbage ruling, and things like Sleep make your single target incapacitated like that similarly.
>>
>>57968333
>not building yourself a giant goddamn mage tower
>only actually teleport to the top and live there
>every single other tile, except the top living area, is just covered in Glyphs of Warding alternative between explosive and stored fireballs
>get some popcorn while watching people try to break in.

Being a wizard is the greatest.
>>
>>57968342
No really, there is nothing you can do about any of this outside of DM'ing yourself and banning wizards, or just not playing D&D.
Wizards have been broken since 3.5 and will continue to be.
>>
>>57968300
I transform you into a fish and let you suffocate on land. Your own minions hit you? Metagaming.
>>
>>57968366
>banning wizards
The thought has legitimately crossed my mind more than once. Fighter, Rogue, Warlock, that's it, healing comes from potions, fuck you.
>>
>>57968220

>can I quickly freeze someone to death by using Creat Water and Ray of Frost?"

Once again, this is on YOU, the DM. "Ray of frost isn't nearly strong enough to do that"/"The spell doesn't mention that so no"...you can be more flexible with your martials than your spell casters too.

>>57968281

>Chromatic Orb

or I could just firebolt for probably more damage? You're listing some really trash spells here, your players must really suck if you think THIS is what Wizards are strong at (Hint: Wizard's control spells are usually much, much better than their damage spells). The rest of your post seems pretty atrocious too (not inferring that you can have literally anything kill a familiar to deny the advantage (or I guess you can just complain about it like a baby if you want).

Fuck, I don't think DND is perfectly balanced or anything but I do think a lot of people bitching about this are vastly exaggerating (Wizard has 15 spells prepared that they can cast using all their spell slots that range from Major Image to Fireball) to just poor encounter design (Let's have this one guy here who the party has to square off with who has no legendary resistance and no minions to help him if he gets save or suck'd and throw him at a team full with spells!). It's not a perfect system but like a lot of imperfect systems sometimes the problems it generates are more on the user's end than the system itself.
>>
>>57968368
>Metagaming
That's what the wizard player said.
I told him to get over it.
Good times.
>>
>>57968358
But what if you're not level 15 with the time and resources to build, and deck out, an entire mage tower? What if you don't find any already-populated mage towers that also have weak enough mages to kill you?
What if the DM just gives you the ol' level 7 Wizard special and just dicks you with the random big bad out of nowhere who has been watching your movements and then just immediately killed you the second you step food in some horrible situation?
I imagine the players would get incredibly upset over something they couldn't foresee, but in order for a big bad to not be subject to this exact type of strategy and situation from every single Wizard player (and spellcasters to a lesser extent, but Wizards have more freedom), the DM has to make it as though the villain is some omniscient tactician who has accounted for this, or else they just get assblasted on the spot in some stupid situation.
>>
>>57968380
Why would you leave the worst class in the game and have them contend with fighters and rogues?
Just do a low-magic urban crawling type campaign where they're all low-life criminals trying to get a nice break going and only have fighters/rogues.
>>
>>57964750

I like to think as the weakest variety of true dragon and with the environment overlap that they get shat on by wandering Blue Dragons more or less constantly. Although I think 5e may have moved Blues from the desert to the seashore.
>>
>>57968412
I mean, I don't think you've realized this, but most bosses have legendary actions along with spells themselves.
And if you throw in some decent melee mooks, you'll successfully either have a challenging fight or a complete shitstomp of a TPK.
Just like you wanted.
>>
File: 27.png (134 KB, 720x405)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>57968399
>singling out chromatic orb when it was literally just an example
>he thinks firebolt does more damage than a chromatic orb hitting vulnerabilities, especially scaled up
>he doesn't realize you can just put any single target spell at all in this slot, and the entire point of it was to show that for a minimal number of spells dedicated to it you can have strong alternatives to any combat encounter ever
>rest of your posts seem pretty attrocious
>the stock standard 'nah you're just saying garbage' response is somehow meant to disprove that wizards can have an answer to any situation at any point in time and that if you don't you're a fucking retard
>he doesn't realize that if he can afford to say all the listed spells are shit, then that means there are better spells for each situation, which means the wizard is even worse than what has been said so far
>mfw brainlets who prove your point for you play the smart class
>>
>>57968412

>wizards are unbalanced because if you throw a cr 20 enemy based on a wizard at a team of unprepared level 5s it'll wipe the fucking floor with them

I don't think this is a very convincing argument.
>>
>>57968451
singling out chromatic orb when it was literally just an example
he thinks firebolt does more damage than a chromatic orb hitting vulnerabilities, especially scaled up
he doesn't realize you can just put any single target spell at all in this slot, and the entire point of it was to show that for a minimal number of spells dedicated to it you can have strong alternatives to any combat encounter ever
rest of your posts seem pretty attrocious
the stock standard 'nah you're just saying garbage' response is somehow meant to disprove that wizards can have an answer to any situation at any point in time and that if you don't you're a fucking retard
he doesn't realize that if he can afford to say all the listed spells are shit, then that means there are better spells for each situation, which means the wizard is even worse than what has been said so far
mfw brainlets who prove your point for you play the smart class

See? Much better.
>>
>>57963902
Did this ever get a newer update than i have?
>>
>>57968413
>Why would you leave the worst class in the game and have them contend with fighters and rogues?
Because, just like in AD&D, if you get to the point where you're actually a competent warlock, you start being able to do some serious shit (I guess).
Plus one of my friends has a soft spot for the little bastards and the short rest refresh encourages after-encounter breaks. I dunno. They get a lot more play in my experience than one might expect for the 'Worst Class in the Game'. Or are we just ignoring Original Ranger for the sake of sanity?
I dunno. I figure if I wanted to play with Fighters and Rogues only I'd drop the pretense and just run Knights and Knaves. Speaking of which, I need to find that PDF, I saw it floating around earlier.
>>57968456
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Veterans are CR 3 while Mages are CR 6 despite both having 9 hit dice.
>>
>>57968484
>Because, just like in AD&D, if you get to the point where you're actually a competent warlock, you start being able to do some serious shit (I guess).
I don't think you've actually looked at the warlock in 5e.. you don't do serious shit.
In fact you don't really do shit.
In fact, you don't.

I wish this wasn't a meme because warlock used to be my favourite.
>>
File: canine cartoon.jpg (6 KB, 251x232)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>57968480
Why not just use the D&D Next fighter?
>>
>>57968427
'Most bosses'
Humanoid bosses do not ever have LR by default unless you've opted to give it to them. If you have to give LR to every single one of them to specifically account for Wizards, Wizards are broken. The end. When the only way to ensure your boss isn't immediately powerfucked by the exact plans used by players, you have to make them into untouchable threats that specifically counter those plans.
That is a sign of major imbalance. If a boss (or even a random adventuring party comprised of similar characters) can do to you what you do them and you'd complain about it, you're doing something retarded, and the Wizard class embodies the entire mentality of 'what stupid shit can I do to immediately invalidate something'.

>>57968456
Where the hell did you even remotely get any of this from? Can you quote me? Because I didn't say anything at all like that.
I said that if a boss can do the same thing to you that you can (and plan to) do to it, and you would whine, or the DM would be considered an asshole for doing that, then you're doing something bullshit and your character is bullshit for even having the option available. If your characters are anything short of an anti-Wizard, they immediately die to a Wizard. If you can't see the imbalance in this than I don't know what to say.
>>
>>57968504
Next fighter wasnt balanced for final 5e and this was?

This is pretty good. Guy who made it frequents 5eg so i figured he might be here.

I just figured if he's updated it I'd grab the new version.
>>
>>57968499
I dunno, I guess I only play at levels low enough where dropping a Dominate Person on someone successfully is worthy of note. If I had to remake 5e, the levels would only go up to 10 and spells would only go up to 6, because I'm a petty, arbitrary bastard.
>>
>>57968451

>vulnerabilities

those are so rare it's not worth wasting one of your precious prepared spell slots on chromatic orb. also if you don't want me to respond to your post calling it garbage maybe just don't post garbage?

next, the problem with you saying "durr see how strong they are" while listing a bunch of sub par and shitty options is that it shows you probably don't know as much about this stuff as you think you do. the kicker in this is where you talk about abusing find familiar like its' some kind of omnipotent tool when it's flawed and has a major weakness (a cr 1/8th or lower body attached to it's power) that you, AS THE DM, can use to stop the wizard from abusing it. Sure, if you let your wizard walk all over you they're going to seem dumb and over powered, but that's true of ANY CLASS. Hence, garbage argument from a garbage post.

I also don't think Wizards aren't on the strong side, they absolutely are, but it's not as game breaking (except at high levels where spells get pretty fucky) as some people here try to make it out to be.

It's taking me 3 captchas to post anything now so I'm probably just going to go to bed anyways.
>>
>>57968513
>Where the hell did you even remotely get any of this from?
Not him but if a wizard is going to teleport in, finger of death you, and that's supposed to be an instant kill that implies the wizard outlevels you pretty massively.
Unless it wasn't you that said that.
>>
>>57968532
But if you had 6th level spells by level 10... then you would be getting higher level spells slightly faster than in the normal game.
>>
>>57968513

This >>57968535 sums up my response to it exactly. I'll admit I don't know if it was exactly you that brought that up but it's where the scenario originated from. Maybe my post is slightly exaggerated but the argument doesn't convince me anyways so...
>>
>>57968547
And you would get one of them a day. And Fighter would get his third attack then instead of at 11, too.
Basically shift everything a little down and fix up a few numbers here and there.
Something something Proficiency I can't be arsed to actually write it because I could play something else that fits my particular fetishes instead.
>>
>>57968513
Or you can just make the fucking save when the wizard decides to throw a spell at the BBEG?
Most of the non-save spells are gone and even most of the save-or-suck spells are gone.
Not even sure what the fuck you're bitching about at this point because you've clearly been fucking doing something wrong if wizards are causing you this much trouble.
>>
>>57968530
>Next fighter wasnt balanced for final 5e and this was?
>This is pretty good.

If that c0re is the same c0re I'm thinking of, he doesn't balance or playtest for shit. You can find him in the /5eg/ discord, though.
>>
>>57968426
The Draconomicon did mention Brass is constantly run away from Blue. But that's what make Brass is very dangerous to PC. With Blue you can throw bantz at him then lure him into the trap, despite his superior intelligence. You can't do the same with Brass, they're dragons that throw away dragons biggest weakness, pride. Seashore is more Copper/White fighting ground.
>>
>>57968582
Nigga Phantasmal Force is a level 2 spell and still basically incapacitates almost any enemy that isn't immune to it if it fails the save. Wizards basically get spells like these every level, and at very high levels there are spells that don't require asave. For example, Forcecage removes any enemy without the necessary spells from the fight.

Wizards are very, very good, although I don't think they're terribly unbalanced. Early on they can't really function without a party and are dead weight when their spells run out, but after a certain point they become really strong.
>>
>>57968622
Maybe he usually doesn't.

In this case I remember seeing him and others posting math analyses of the class as they were going to make sure they kept it reigned in with normal fighter.
>>
>>57964495
Use the same plane repeatedly, but have it time skip when they move on, sometimes forwards, sometimes backwards. Then they get to see the long-term effects of their actions.
>>
What's the most underrated school of magic and why is it Transmutation? Their abilities might be sub-par, but their spells are GOAT.
>>
File: 1457969594932.png (91 KB, 712x412)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
Are there any fun feats I should consider getting for a very Noble hexblade?

It's either that or repeatedly getting Cha during ASIs, which while with the archetype/improved pact weapon is far and above the most needed Ability , I just can't bring myself to just raise to 20 with just getting.

I was thinking 15 con 17 cha with pointbuy at the start, and getting Elven Accuracy Cha first, from practicing accuracy in his excessive amount of spare time while showing off, being a noble, and then resilient Con as the second, having the +3 stat and saving throw signify having actually toughened up as an adventurer instead of considering himself a noble playing at one.

Thoughts?
>>
>>57964495

My group uses figma and a tv when we play, you can put as many maps on as you want

https://www.figma.com/

preload some maps on.
>>
I just deleted wizard as a class, we didn't suffer. Wizard has no niche of his own, the way his magic works isn't suitable for some settings, why would I bend my setting to let someone play wizard so? The only purpose of wizard is to be op and break the game
>>
>>57968883
Watch out or you'll trigger the spellshitters because they can't invalidate everything
>>
How do I fluff clerics in a setting where gods may not be real?
>>
>>57968913

Metaphysical anomalies or "miracles"
>>
What's the best humanoid form for a Couatl to shapeshift into?
>>
File: 1516245617877.png (869 KB, 753x706)
869 KB
869 KB PNG
>Host and DM for 5 sessions
>Provide some snacks of chips, softdrink, crackers, meats and cheese
>During a a small break see players writing something down
>They present me with a list
>"These are the snacks we'd prefer for next session, we can tell you what shops have them if you need"
>>
>>57968906
I also gave martials a legendary save at higher levels, and since my setting has a lot of magic, there are also many things that can counter magic. I think its pretty balanced that way, I played like 5 1v1 martial vs bard/druid/warlock scenarios yesterday, everyone has their chance and purpose
>>
>>57968931

Lmao time to play over tabletop simulator if theyre all gonna be faggots like that.
>>
>>57968945
Time to stop playing with ungrateful retards, even if they are your friends. Learn from my mistake, if these cunts are enjoying your game and still:
1. Act like retards in your game
2. Get 2 hours late to the session
3. Force you to organize everything
4. Do lolrandumb shit

Just quit doing this, or you will get burned out and stressed like I did. I barely have any desire to DM now, though my players love my dming
>>
>>57966204
>You're be the Town Guard
Hwhat? Is that a reference to something?
>>
>>57968931
Wow, people actually do that shit? I thought the normal thing to do was just to either rotate hosts or to have people bring snacks themselves.
>>
File: dorn compromised calm.jpg (136 KB, 623x414)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>57968931
I'd tell them to fuck off, and walk out.
They didn't buy my books for me, presumably like your own party they're too lazy to even buy or make something that would enhance the campaign like a model for themselves, commissioned art, a playmat, or terrain.
A fucking list of "buy specifically this for us every week from now on" is beyond any last bastion of reasonable requests, I'd drop them as friends regardless if it messes up my social circle in any way.
>>
File: IMG_9288.jpg (642 KB, 2816x1584)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>>57963902
> running a campaign in the desert
> not using the fantasy equivalent of the largest and most deadly desert on Earth
>>
File: hoodratshit.jpg (113 KB, 1280x718)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>57969018

The Gobi desert or the Eurasian steppe?
>>
>make the mistake of giving my rogue an edgy anime backstory while making him mute
>want to think of something that can make him develop out of his edgy phase
>can't think of a good idea for an arc because my party members consist of a paladin who acts like a drunk fratboy, an eladrin sorceress who's racist to everyone, a ranger who cares more about her pet snake than anything else, and a cleric who's tags along with the paladin's shenanigans
Is there hope for me or do I just go full evil?
>>
>>57968931
Just prepare laxative chocolate snacks for next time.
>>
>>57969030
The Antarctic.
>>
>>57969069
>Give your guests the shits from laxatives
>They then have to use your toilet
That's some next level retardation.
>>
>>57968883
I agree with this.

Having DM'd a game so far from level 1 through level 15, the only classes that have been a colossal pain have been Mystic (at lower levels, primarily because teleporting and psionics), and then Wizard.

Wizard-only spells should just be divvied up across other classes. It's not even a setting thing, their mechanics are just dumb.
>>
Putting aside all the class imbalance shit in this thread, what I genuinely don't understand is how the fuck WotC, after the three or four years this edition has been out, hasn't released another set of feats that are specifically made to fix the weaker builds.
Where are the feats that make it so there's more to TWF than just 'weaker PAM'?
Where are the feats that actually make it so unarmed strikes are actually viable outside Monks (and brings Monk's damage up to match the rest of the martials, albeit I love Monks for everything else they do)?
Why hasn't Sharpshooter gotten its ass nerfed yet
Where are the genuine anti-magic feats? The throwing weapon feats? The melee-stealth feats? The feats that target specific weapons to give them their own uses and purposes outside of whether they have reach with the most damage, or just the most damage? Where's the feats that make grappling properly viable (or the errata, or a subclass specifically for it, whatever)?
Where are the feats (or subclasses, I guess) that turn martials into action film stars and characters out of Dynasty Warriors? Why is there still no real *teleports behind you* class that actually pulls it off well (Shadow Monk get fucked, that's worthless)
>>
>>57969158
In my campaigns, there's just anti-magic fields with, with multiple contingencies, placed over every major town. The world knows just how dangerous the world is, so anti-magic alternatives are manufactured to prevent Wizards from just reality warping the major powers out of existence. If players want to start magic-fucking entire towns they first have to use their martials to infiltrate and shut down that shit.
>>
>>57969224
the world knows how dangerous magic is, I mean
>>
>>57968931
Tell them to pay for this shit themselves or fuck off.
Holy SHIT how do you find these retards?
>>
What class is the best dip for a Tempest Cleric to get more thunder/lightning damage spells?
>>
>>57969224
Antimagic Field (the spell, at least) comes way too late for it to work in a by-the-book setting and needs serious boosting for range to cover whole towns, castles and cities too. Not that I mind changing it - I think making it an 8th level spell is about 7 spell levels too high.
>>
>>57968931
What the actual fuck? Who are these fuckers, I swear to god if they're your """friends""" you need to cut all ties immediately.
>>
>>57969224

This is a fun concept
>>
>>57969302
Giant tame beholder
>>
>>57968931
Bill them for snacks and game. Including all the past games.
>>
>>57969302
I don't really care about the area of limitations of it in the book. One 20th level Wizard can threaten the entire world (given how often 20th level Wizards are threatening the world in DnD lore), but 20th level Warriors just happen to be really strong. It'd create such a huge disparity between the major powers that there have to be countermeasures developed asap. It's like our current situation with major powers having nukes. Everyone knows what happens if they go off, so everyone needs to prepare to stop them.
If one major power has a 20th level mage and no others do, that major power could pretty much fuck every other one. So they developed anti-magic fields, entire subsections of armies are developed solely to shutting down casting, and soldiers are given mandatory lessons on how to deal with mages and what individual spells do.

tl;dr it's basically what happened when the first first got guns. It shut down melee infantry and people had to deal with them. If an entire generation of people dedicates themselves to developing countermeasures, Anti-Magic Field's original description might as well be moot
>>
>>57969375
when the world first got guns*
>>
>>57969375
I'd love for WotC to make a martial subclass or two that just straight-up gets their own variant of Antimagic Field at a relatively low level, but I know that with their magic circlejerking they'd never do that.
>>
>>57969203
>where are all these feats

Back in Pathfinder, where they belong.

I'm more inclined to fix the class imbalance by adjusting the classes themselves rather than to just add more options to take.
>>
>>57969375
>first first got guns. It shut down melee infantry
now this is some uneducated bullshit.
>>
>>57969476
>by adjusting the classes themselves
Literally never going to happen. New feats are their only chances of fixing the classes (or sub-classes, but then you'll get the XGE Ranger subclasses vs PHB effect), because they are never going to errata entire classes to bring them down, errata their subclasses to fix them, or even make entirely new classes.
The closest you're going to get is that one thing that was talked about in podcasts where they're going to make optional things for a few classes and let you choose between the two, but that's not going to fix the key imbalances of the classes.
>>
>>57969504
Yeah, not like the entire samurai era ended because of guns or anything
>>
>>57969398
Templar class like in Dragon Age could be fun.
>>
>>57969534
now this is even more uneducated bullshit.
>>
>>57968368
He acts like nobody worth a damn has seen polymorph in action.

Not having the bad guys polymorph his own minions as punishment for failure for amusement
>>
>>57969375
Strangely, when i'm trying to make BBGG as 20th Cleric (Player play as evil character), he ended as a far worse opponent than 20th level Lich Wizard. Divine intervention, forbiddance & planar ally is really strong when you realize there's "as DM choice" text and you are the DM.
>>
>>57968931
>Meats and cheese

Anon can i show up for that deluxe shit...fuck chips and cracker .
You should disown them
>>
>>57969553
The Sengoku period was completely ended by peasants having access to weaponry that didn't require much skill being used in wars, that also shut down melee infantry. After the Battle of Nagashino and their first major usage in Japanese warfare, army tactics changed completely as a result of firearms.
But sure, uneducated.
Or should I have just said [citation needed]?
>>
File: SURPRISE WILLINGHAM.png (101 KB, 928x636)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>57963902
Look at this cute!
>>
>>57969571
Well given that Acererak is a 20th level Lich Wizard and he would taken out Ao (ie. the God of Gods), and stolen his position, if not for being thwarted by player characters in his appropriate module(s), I'd say a 20th level Lich Wizard, lore wise, can probably dicks on a person whose strength is dependent on gods doing his work for him
>>
>>57969535
>>57969398
Quick sketch-up of a potential Templar.

Thoughts?
>>
>>57969646
Self-thought: might be a bit reaction-heavy. Might swap out Weapons of the Enemy for a spell-specific version of Evasion instead.
>>
>>57969646
>Strength is your spellcasting modifier for Counterspell
I like this just because of that

I was actually thinking of something like this (I'll use Monk because I like Monks and ki > magic, because fuck magic)
3rd level, whenever you hit someone with a Monk weapon/unarmed strike, you can impose a DC on your enemy (Dex or Str save, dunno) to prevent someone from using somatic, material or verbal components (your choice) until the end of your next turn. Additionally, when someone attempts to cast a spell within 5 feet of you, reaction attack for unarmed strike. This is considered to land before the spell can complete. If combined with the first shit, and the spell required a component, the spell slot is used but the spell doesn't work.
6th level, using an action, make a 10 foot sphere of anti-magic per long rest.
11th level, resistance to spell effects, once per short rest you can guarantee you succeed a saving throw vs a spell (basically a legendary resist)
17th level, punch casters, in specific, to the moon or something
>>
>>57969701
I should also note that at some point at a higher level, the 6th level antimagic sphere would go from long rest to short rest
>>
Can an Ettin survive a decapitation?
>>
>>57969723
Probably one decapitation
>>
How to fix magic in 5e to be balanced:
1. Make any serious enemy, like leutenants and other ''cool'' martials, wear trinkets that improve magic saves and absorb some of the damage. Make them deity based.
2. Create artifacts that only a martial would wear, sentient magic items that require high str to wield and high con to use, for example.
3. Give martials legendary saves so they can just ignore 1 disable per day like in shonen.
4. Give them powerful attacks like in actual mythology, 1 per day.
5. Make most powerful high level spells have 2 rounds casting time or hp cost otherwise.
>>
>>57969646
>>57969688
>>57969701
Revised form to reduce redundancy of similar abilities and give it some value outside of killing spellcasters.

I actually quite like this homebrew for something I knocked up in five minutes.
>>
>>57969701
>6th level, using an action, make a 10 foot sphere of anti-magic per long rest.
I'd make that a 5 foot sphere or something like that. Basically you and the grid squares/hexes around you.

Also something like a "dazed" condition and means to inflict it, which would prevent anyone under it to cast spells until a CON save succeeded.
>>
>>57969609
It's actually modified ToA for evil character. Yeah, i just surprised because when i play as Cleric, divine intervention usually ended up as free bless for everyone. When the opposite happen, the Cleric is suddenly backed by three War Ki-rin from Tyr.
Ao? You mean Ubtao?
>>
>>57969525
Yeah I know it's not gonna happen, but adding feats is just gonna make the whole situation more complicated since there's more things to consider when adding new stuff (ie all class features for martials have to take into account GWM and PAM, and all cantrips have to take into account War Caster).

If a game isn't balanced from the start, adding more features in an attempt to fix balnace issues isn't gonna make it more balanced, just more complicated. Particularly since there's no limitation on who takes which feats, meaning that most feats that enhance a martial's survivability against magic will also benefit magic users.
>>
>>57969792
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ao
He's pretty much the God of Gods. While he doesn't have direct control over ones effectively gods of a different realm entirely, like Norse gods, it's basically a given that he'd slap their shit as well. He's considered the closest thing to the DM in DnD lore (other than things like Lady of Pain, but she might as well be a joke character)
>>
>>57969758
go back to /pol/ martial monkey
>>
>>57969763
Counterspell is 3rd level, my dude.Casting as 2nd level means nothing.
>>
>>57969811
Well, a feat specifically made for TWF is only going to be for TWF. TWF wouldn't work with SCAG cantrips or anything (unless you were under the effect of Haste and had the free attack action separate to your normal action). Right now there's no reason to ever use TWF so long as PAM exists.
I'd go into more about the feats I listed, but for the sake of not wanting to cause an argument, I'll just say that adding more generally makes games better if they're handled correctly. It's usually better to buff something than to nerf, unless it's physically impossible to buff something to level of what needs to be nerfed, especially since they'll never actually nerf anything.
>>
Rolled 9, 13, 2, 4, 6, 10 = 44 (6d20)

Behold the power of a Moon Druid
>>
>>57969819
>casterfag upset by martials getting buffs
>immediately spouts /pol/ when that's literally how /pol/ acts
pottery
>>
>>57969839
Good point, thanks. Morning brain.

Thoughts on the rest?
>>
Does anyone have a list of single target dexterity saving throw based spells? I know Disintegrate is one.
>>
>>57969851
The casters SHOULD be OP, martials are just meatshields. The whole idea is that fighters protect the casters on low levels and in return get to be called heroes together with casters who carry them on higher levels
>>
>>57969870
>protect a caster for 5 levels
>caster gets to dominate 15 levels
Nah. When spellcasters are also the best melees now, and have the best aspects for social aspects, they don't deserve to control everything.
Enjoy your antimagic fields and melee-only antimagic gear.
>>
>>57969857
A single situational short rest cast on 10 seems iffy, but I'm not sure what I would add. I'd be hesitant to recommend adding a wizard cantrip and risk making EK not worth picking.

Dispelling blows seems weird to me. Are you supposed to be throwing a dagger at your friend when he gets debuffed since 1d4 + up to 9 is basically nothing at 15th level? This seems like something that would be better in an older edition with buff stacking.
>>
>>57969870
>X should OP
nothing should be op, is this genuinely how casters think?
>>
>>57969870
Yeah no, having your class be a baby sitter to a class that no longer needs you once it gets 2nd/3rd level spells then dominates the rest of the game by being the ekeleton key to any lock the DM tries to set up is terrible.

It's a game, casters shouldn't be more powerful than martials because
>muh powerful majicks, they can do anything
Go bsck to pathfinder if you want your simulationist tierlist shit.
>>
>>57963902
>How do you effectively run a desert setting when almost all of the terrain can be described as "sand"?

Vary the description from day to day. Don't use all of your descriptions at one time.

So on one day 'a hot wind beat you down' another day 'a wind kicked up sand that got in to everything'. Figure out ways to describe heat effects, view things at a distance causes what is viewed to warble. Sand can be dunes that you struggled up, sliding down over and over, or just loose sand that was like moving through mud.

So you don't describe all of those, you pick one per day to build the feeling that the players are moving. This assumes you aren't just doing a montage of the trip of course and are rather doing a day by day exploration hex/crawl.

Next look through all of those at an extreme level and ask yourself which ones could produce extra fatigue.

So now the wind brings in a sandstorm of lower level, the sand reflects the heat like it is glass, huge sand dunes that were nearly impossible to climb, etc. Have the players roll vs athletics to avoid a level of exhaustion from the day.

Use this idea as a type of wandering monster.
>>
>>57969870
>in a cooperative game it is good and right that some players only get to have fun in some situations while other players get to have fun in all situations
>>
>>57969758
That eeems a bit too 4e-esque IMO. What martials should have is just a shit tonne of techniques that provide utility, that they can easily regain, so they're capable of trucking through while casters are stuck going "hold on let me regain my nerd points"

Also, actual restrictions on how much uou can rest, without the DM having to convolute the pacing so that casters can't just take a nights rest.
>>
File: Templar V3.png (407 KB, 499x697)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
>>57969909
Some slight modifications in line with your feedback. More counterspell uses (I don't think it's so situational that it won't get used, especially as availability increases: it also means that the casters don't need to worry about counterspelling), and dispelling blows now works like Cleansing Touch but adds functionality and caps uses.
>>
File: πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ.jpg (107 KB, 960x540)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>57969970
>spells of 5th level and below cannot are subject
Fix that and I think you're good to go.
>>
Reminder spells beyond 3rd level shouldn't exist.
>>
File: Templar V3.png (429 KB, 526x710)
429 KB
429 KB PNG
>>57969990
Whoops. All fixed.

Not sure what I'll do with it, all my players are level 15, but maybe someone else can use it. Might offer it for a one shot or something.
>>
>>57969966
I want martial subclasses that actually have cinematic, cool abilities that can be used in different situations. You know oldschool samurai ending a clash with their backs to each other, then one just get diced the fuck up? 'Teleport' forward X distance, everyone in a reverse cone (ie. facing back towards where you came from, from where you ended up at) takes the equivalent of an attack. Even if it's only like one subclass per martial, a subclass that can choose between specific maneuvers (and no, I don't mean battlemaster which is less maneuvers and just more free damage + an effect)
>>
File: 1456024027683.png (463 KB, 628x952)
463 KB
463 KB PNG
>>57968824
Anyone?
>>
>>57970011
Just max out charisma. Only real feats you'd care about on a Hexblade would be GWM/PAM if you're using either weapon associated, or maybe Warcaster if you want reaction attack SCAG cantrips. Elven Accuracy is fine if you're going to be consistently using darkness with a EB
But simply because of Hexblade's melee/casting being the same stat bullshit, you should be maxing it asap.
>>
So it's another "Wizards are OP and I can't handle reading or simple math" episode. Great.
>>
>>57970001
I'd probably not allow this as a DM, but I have no idea on what is OP or not.

I have no idea how this stacks up to other fighter archetype, but the first two seem like the worst.
Magic resistance could be split into two abilities, maybe?
Like one for single target and another, that runs on short(?) rests for aoe spells? or the reverse?
And spell guardian I feel like should be 5 but then goes up to 10 later.
>>
>>57970057
>t. wizard who thinks in character int stat translates to real life
>>
>>57968824
>>57970011
Since you're going the "face" route, did you check the UA "Feats for Skills" rules? The four of them for CHA (Diplomat, Menacing, Performer, Silver-Tongued) each increase CHA by 1 to a maximum of 20, either gain you a proficiency in the corresponding skill (Persuasion, Intimidation, Performance and Deception, respectively) or if you already are proficient can double the proficiency bonus with them (like Expertise, and no, those don't stack) and have one special action each.
>>
>>57970065
It does, though. 10 IQ = 1 intelligence
>>
>>57969646
I like it. Counterspell is a third level spell though. I get that you probably meant disrupting spells of 2nd level or lower but Counterspell, the spell, doesn't exist as a 2nd level spell.

Spellbreaker may be a bit too strong since it basically gives you immunity to spells of 5th level or lower.

Maybe turn Weapons of the Enemy into some sort of counterattack feature? ie, you can channel the energy of a disrupted spell through your weapon and use it to deal an extra 3d8 damage once?
>>
>>57970096
Back to /pol/, racist
>>
>>57970096
>admits to having a double digit IQ
>>
>>57970062
Gnomes get adv on mental saves as a racial, I don't think it's overpowered to give adv on all saves to a class. Maybe bump it to a higher level to keep people from dipping for it, but in principle it seems fine.
>>
>>57969816
The lady is the rulebook, not the dm.
>>
>>57970042
The character is somewhat focused on weapon versatility, so i wouldn't want to narrow myself down with that but thanks,
Warcaster sounds absolutely wonderful, I'll need to check if I get anything else that runs on reactions, but might save that for another gish character either way.
Not even running Darkness, but elven accuracy has advantage required, right? how does Darkness/EB translate into using that over my current setup?

>>57970072
I'm fairly certain the DM isn't allowing UA, but I'll ask, regardless.
I was actually thinking of Prodigy to slightly more than just Face, plus it gets me expertise in any of said skills.

In any case, looking at that UA just now: the main one I'd use is diplomat, being able to instantly gut any sudden attacks by who we're talking to sounds great, and it's persuasion and the rest aren't the type of character I'm running.
Thanks, I'll see if he'd allow it first and then debate on it.
>>
Looking for what I can only describe as a fluff generator for D&D characters.

Xanthar's It's your life section was a great start, but I'm wondering if there are any other generators like that to throw some random things into the character to build a backstory around.
>>
Rolled 1, 8, 11, 1, 6, 9 = 36 (6d20)

"N00DL3" The Warforged Wizard
>>
>>57970114
I've got a +3 to my Intelligence modifiers
>>
>>57970173
Darkness with Devil's Sight gives you advantage, because EB is ranged you can use it from range with advantage, rather than needing to be in melee with the darkness to get it.
You get Shield on reactions as well.
>>
>>57970108
>I like it. Counterspell is a third level spell though. I get that you probably meant disrupting spells of 2nd level or lower but Counterspell, the spell, doesn't exist as a 2nd level spell.
Yeah, I fixed it in the latest version in >>57970001

>Spellbreaker may be a bit too strong since it basically gives you immunity to spells of 5th level or lower.
I based it on the rakshasa enemy - I don't think it's all that bad. By the point you're level 18, you're probably facing down liches as standard. Might lower the range on it so your allies have to huddle close, but then you get a 9th level Fireball hitting everyone...

>Maybe turn Weapons of the Enemy into some sort of counterattack feature? ie, you can channel the energy of a disrupted spell through your weapon and use it to deal an extra 3d8 damage once?
That's sort of what I did with Dispelling Blows. I like the flavour but don't want to make the class too powerful.

>>57970062
As a DM, I don't think it's too bad. To be honest, I think the biggest pain in my arse would be the endless counterspells floating around.

I don't think Magic Resistance is too bad given it's what the archetype is built around. Bear in mind you can get it through being a Yuan-Ti. I mean, everyone knows Yuan-Ti are overpowered anyway, but this is something you can get at third level, I don't think it's awful. Plus it's not an archetype built around doing as much damage as it is about preventing spells.

I might adjust Spell Guardian though.
>>
File: 1456166329265.jpg (47 KB, 640x480)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>57970191
>>
>>57970195
>he thinks a racial bonus is a modifier
>he rolled for stats and got a 5 in int
>>
>>57970191

You've rolled a rock that cannot move or think, but has a relatively hardy constitution and is very charismatic compared to the rest of its kind.
>>
How do you handle attacking from a height? Being higher doesn't affect your range? Bonus range equal to your height?
>>
Rolled 11, 14, 17, 3, 12, 6 = 63 (6d20)

BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE MYSTIC!
>>
Rolled 7, 12, 14, 5, 9, 12 = 59 (6d20)

>>57970610
>psionic shitter
My Barbarian brain is far too powerful for yours
>>
>>57970610
Brainlet mystic thats too dumb to feel pain
>>
Rolled 11, 18, 14, 19, 3, 4 = 69 (6d20)

Gaze upon the hexsorcadin Chad and despair.
>>
Rolled 16, 12, 4, 20, 2, 19 = 73 (6d20)

Gloomstalker+Assassin, a combination that can beat anyone.
>>
>>57970669
>4 CHA
nah that's the virgin min maxer wizard
>>
File: Thrud_The_Barbarian.jpg (105 KB, 600x933)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Rolled 18, 6, 10, 1, 9, 20 = 64 (6d20)

Strength of a ...
Speed of a ...
Intelligence of a ...

FIGHT ME!
>>
Rolled 10, 9, 11, 7, 18, 7 = 62 (6d20)

*Teleports behind you with my katana hexblade* Nothing personell kid
>>
>>57970704
Chad the barbarian.
He slays pussy and foes wherever he goes.
>>
File: Yuna1.jpg (40 KB, 673x660)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>not being a psionic
>>
Rolled 17, 20, 1, 12, 16, 10 = 76 (6d20)

THE MONK OF LEGENDS
>>
File: Encounter2.png (26 KB, 364x202)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
I'm going to be running the White Well for a party of four level 1s and two level 2s and the last encounter is a fight against a black pudding + three minotaur skeletons. The adventure suggests this encounter is fair but I feel that it might be too difficult and should go with the weak encounter instead. Am I wrong or is this too difficult?

pic related, it's the suggested changes to the encounter
>>
>>57970757
>can literally not even stub his toe without dying
>>
Rolled 14, 6, 3, 8, 6, 14 = 51 (6d20)

THE GLORIOUS HOBO WIZARD
>>
>>57970856
>penguin slippers
>>
>>57970931
>>
>>57967369
just ban wizards instead of tiptoeing around it.
>>
>>57968238
I am very much into the kraken patron, but I'd change out some of the patron spells for stuff like maelstrom that I assume he didn't put in because they're not in the PHB. But then, I'd do that for a lot of subclasses.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.