[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: godpharoahthrone.png (116 KB, 223x311)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
I never make these threads so I don't have a Standard OP but come on in if you guys want to talk about standard.

What're you guys playing and what do you hate playing against in the current meta?

How do you feel about Brawl? Have you played it or brewed anything for it?
>>
>>59124485
>I don't have a Standard OP
I don't thing there is a thread template for standard generals because they are dead here
>What're you guys playing
Smashing arena like crazy with a second sun deck so I wanted to get the UW challenger deck to actually play my first real standard game ever. Sadly, it's sold out everywhere and buying on ebay is not an option for me - shipping fees are killing it in my country.
Why WotC? Just why? It's your best fucking product ever and you still somehow managed to fuck this up
>How do you feel about Brawl?
Nah, no thanks. I mean it's probably fun but I'm not into formats with rotation. Prefer EDH because I can keep my deck and upgrade it for years rather than for a year
>>
What happens to brawl when big sets rotate out?
I find it will be hard to support the brawl variant when the cardpool gets a big cut.
>>
>>59124485

Brawl is just a terrible format design in principle but I understand why they're doing it. They want a format where people can play with decks but don't need to fork out for 4x mythics and whatnot so the easiest solution is to make everything singleton only EDH/Highlander style.

That being said, Mox Amber is going to almost be an auto include in almost every deck. Best thing I can see so far is being a hyper ramp spell in a Gx based deck.

Turn 1: land, Mox amber, Oviya Pashiri, tap Mox cast Llanowar Elves
Turn 2: play 2nd land and at this point you now have 4 mana on turn 2. Possibly 5 if you drop a 2nd Mox amber and tap the first one before saccing to legend rule. Think of any spell in Standard you want to cast at cmc 4 and you'll be able to do it with any combination of the right check/fastlands that involve at least G.
>>
>>59124485
>implying that anyone plays standard anymore
>>
>>59124682
People will have to make new decks. As someone who plays EDH, I like the idea of Brawl. I haven't played any games yet but I'm sure it'll be pretty fun.

>>59124733
I think the idea of Brawl is not only to use the singleton format but to also have a little more even playing ground since it's standard only.
>>
>>59124945

If standard had a reasonable power level with a variety of decks and threats and answers being well balanced against each other other instead of being the joke it is right now then brawl may have been interesting. But right now since the balance of threats and answers was so eschewed they had to ban too many cards as of recent.
>>
>>59124976
I think if you play casually you can see a lot more variety. All the formats have a problem of people mostly going for powerplays/OTKOs but it is sad that probably only 40% of cards in standard are played.

I've been playing online a lot more and all of this is very noticeable. It's extremely tiring too that you see the exact same cards and decks game after game.

The snobbishness online is pretty shitty too. I've literally had people quit games against me because I was playing Orazca Relic.
>>
File: grixis test.png (19 KB, 910x257)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
Planning to play Grixis Energy at a PPTQ this Saturday, and can't really decide what I should sideboard. Probably going with this list for the main, though I may cave and buy a third Scarab to replace a Chandra or Lili. I'm thinking of running a couple Fiery Cannonades for the red/boros/vamp aggro decks over Sweltering Suns, and wondering if I should also throw in one Bontu's Last Reckoning or River's Rebuke. Aside from that, I'm thinking a couple Glimmers, and maybe a Gonti or two. I'm seeing Bloodfast in a lot of decks, but that life drain seems really iffy with all the aggro and possible Izzet GPG decks I'm expecting. I know Bolas isn't great, but I have a foil one and just like having him in for fun.
>>
>>59125059

Past standards were actually fine when they had a good mix of power and all. In fact decently powerful standards of the past turned out to be really good and healthy. This current one is just so subpar that it has figuratively killed my interest for it. Ixalan did bring back some interest for me with some interesting cards that were not super powerful but just good value play cards that could go into variety of decks.

You're right in that any format you play is going to have people going for strongest plays but that's a given since most of the formats are sanctioned competitive formats so that's just natural. I will never understand people bringing in "competitive" EDH decks into a multiplayer format and comboing off turn 3 or 4 in the game and we all end up doing nothing, I play EDH for casual play not for competition because I have other formats to play for that. Guess they gotta practice for that inevitable figurative PRO TOUR MILAN EDH or whatever.

Also people shouldn't get snobby about random decks in Standard, if there's any format for brewing with random decks it has to be Standard.
>>
>>59125136
B. Reckoning, Glimmer and Gonti all seem like good bets. You could throw in Combustible Gearhulk just to be crazy.
>>
I'm brewing some really spicy shit that only includes ixalan through dominaria stuff for standard post rotation

Not gonna share it until I playtest it and prove it's good, but I hope I can be recognized as an innovator then :^)
>>
esper gpg best gpg
these izzet babies got nothin on me
>>
>>59125600
>these izzet babies got nothin on me
Besides a pretty consistent turn 4 kill.
>>
>mainly play Commander with my friends
>Get the Hazoret Aggro challenger and enter the store championship on a whim
>Get some really good games
>Deck never felt underpowered
>Won quite a few games
>Didn’t land a top spot but someone got to 3rd place with Second Sun Control put of the box

Had a bunch of fun, probably one of the best products Wozards has put out to date
I think I may start doing FNM’s, especially now that they are doing actual promo cards instead of tokens
>>
how do i build a good pre-release deck?

also, which sleeves should i get for them? (have no spares)
>>
>>59124682
Brawl is cheaper standard, it's not a replacement for EDH

>>59127411
Literally just open your packs and see what you get. There's no color combination that's good enough to jam no matter your pool. If you're a real noob, 17 lands and 23 spells, majority creatures for your spells

Dragon Shield matte's are the best sleeves I've used
>>
>>59124682
People will either upgrade their brawl decks into edh decks, which is way more doable for the average deck than the standard->modern upgrade, or they'll have been playing it for a year or two and want something new anyway. I imagine we'll see some kind of non-rotating brawl variant pop up around the first rotation anyway.
>>
What's the reasoning behind brawl being 60 card and not 100?
>>
>>59128385
Have you tried making a brawl deck? There aren't enough playables for a 100 card deck.
>>
>>59128385
I guess it's so games don't go as long or maybe to make it more standard similar. They could've made it like Tiny Leaders and done 50 instead.
>>
>>59128419
That's what makes it sound fun, it's an excuse to get to play with shitty standard cards you'd normally cut from a sealed deck. It'd also make it more random and unexpected, which I think would make it better as a casual format
>>
Brewing mono-G. Any advice?
>>
>>59128478
That sounds fun on paper. It's drizzling shits in practice.
>>
Just started MTG and originally planned on focusing on Modern, but ended up with a Mono Red Challenger Deck and will play Standard until rotation.

I'm trying to decide on what kind of upgrades to make, yet also trying not to blow a bunch of money because I'd rather put it toward slowly building a Modern deck. Adding Mardu Vehicles pieces seems like fun, but I could also always just pick up more Hazorets & Earthshakers to improve Mono Red... Are there any other interesting/fun decks I can make by adding other pieces to the red base?
>>
File: Land destruction.png (541 KB, 800x374)
541 KB
541 KB PNG
>>59124485
Muahaha it's time to destroy the world
>>
>>59128245
They said they do want feedback from the players. The biggest thing I would like is a commander exception. So you can play commanders from Kaeladash on, but the 59 need to be standard legal.
>>
>>59127777
Would you avoid 3 colors unless you get really good mana fixing/multiple check lands?
>>
>>59130425
You are not often playing a true 3 color deck, playing 2 colors and a splash is common though. Maybe half the time, depends on the format. splashing in this format looks difficult with only two common colorless fixers and one common green fixer. and neither of the colorless fixers are as good as usual.
>>
>>59130425
If you got the fixing and are confident in what you can do, then go for it.
>>
File: 1456086857879.png (544 KB, 717x678)
544 KB
544 KB PNG
>Draw & Go is the new meta
>>
>Brew B/R Pirates
>Beat Grixis
>Beat Izzet
>Beat U/B
>$50 total for main+side

Feels good.
>>
>>59124485

Is BG constrictor best deck in the format right now?
>>
>playing
BU control with G splash for Vraska (very casual)
>hating
not the meta, but the lack of a meta at my lgs. Everyone just builds tribal garbage that they get bored of in 2 weeks and jump on to the new gimmick, so I feel bad for building a serious deck and stomping (hence the casual)
>brawl
meme format to sell standard packs. People here take commander too seriously, building $400 decks (but have $30 standard), completely draining the fun out of a supposed for fun format, and I imagine brawl will go down the same route or not be played at all
>>
I'm planning on heading to an LGS I've never been to tomorrow and building a cheap standard deck for locals. What are the color staples that aren't due to rotate soon?
>>
>>59131454
What's your brew broski? I tried B/R pirates as well and managed to go 2-1, one of my wins being a drop out cause the guy was tired.
>>
>>59124485
I play casual, not standard. But I'm working on a deck and would like some advice.

It's a Mill deck, I'm going to get the Ally creature that makes the enemy discard for every Ally on the field, and the Ally that can mirror target ally meaning if I have 2 Ally, they will 4, and if I have 3 Ally they will 9, ect.

I want to know of any good Mirror based creatures, the best counters, and the best blue card fuckery that will help with a basic Mill deck. And any advice on how to make this blue mil deck the most cunt blue mil deck.
>>
>>59131804
Current design, I can have 8 Ally's that all mil for every Ally on the field, meaning they will Mill 64 cards
>>
>>59131656
Rotation is still a while out, KLD and AMK blocks leave in fall.
For staples, https://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/standard
>>
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1036880#paper

rats deck, how to improve before I order it?
>>
>>59131804
>4 Halimar Excavator
>4 Sage's Row Denizen
>4 Manic Scribe
>4 Phantasmal Image
>3 Rite of Replication

>3 Relic of Progenitus
>4 Take Inventory
>4 Mana Leak
>4 Rune Snag
>4 Engulf the Shore

>20 Island
>2 Blighted Cataract
>>
>>59131732

4 Fanatical Firebrand
4 Daring Buccaneer
4 Rigging Runner

4 Kari Zev
4 Fathom Fleet Captain
4 Dire Fleet Poisoner

4 Ruin Raider

4 Buccaneer's Bravado
4 Invigorated Rampage
4 Built To Smash

4 Dragon Skull Summit
2 Canyon Slough
10 Mountain
4 Swamp

SB:

4 Fiery Cannonade
4 Abrade
4 Sword Point Diplomacy
3 ???

Invigorated Rampage+Buccaneer's Bravado when the opponent is tapped out is a complete blowout. I've had a few turn 4 wins.
>>
>>59131983
Huh, yeah that's way faster than what I brewed. I ended up jamming some janky claim/fames and neckbreakers into it so even if my shit died I could just slam them back in.
>>
>>59131867
Are there any viable monocolor decks? Aside from RDW, if that's a thing.
>>
>>59131945
I won't be able to make that without breaking budget, but I'll use some of those, thank you!
>>
>>59132045
What cards are too pricey? I can find budget alternatives for them.
>>
>>59132026

My original brew was using Hazoret, Pirate's Cutlass, Shock and Lightning Strike, among other things.

Building around Bravado turned it around for me. 3-0 at each of the last two weeks.
>>
>>59132071
Well the one I want the most is phantasmal imagine, and that is 8$. (My budget is 5ish).

I planned on breaking down what I have (stack of over 2k blue cards, already broken down into 600ish good cards) and buying what would be missing.

I have a lot of counters, but most aren't Mana effecient or have a specific counter Vs general spell counter. I do have a lot of powerful return target creat to owners hand though.
>>
File: Bomb.png (188 KB, 265x370)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>3 CMC for 5 damage to creatures

How the fuck did this slip past R&D? Its way too good, even with the kicker being useless since most games will end before you can even kick it
>>
>>59132268
I also have good number of creatures and some spells that return my own creatures to my hand. I was thinking those would work good with the Allys.
I also have a few low Mana cost creatures that have sacrifice abilities to counter spells.

I also have a good number of things to look at opponents hand.
>>
>>59132268
Replace Phantasmal Image with Cackling Counterpart, then.
>>
>>59128945
Play some scavenger grounds.
>>
>>59132279
Because it's a 3 cmc sorcery speed removal that still doesn't deal with the major threats in the format. It's not good.
>>
File: Image.png (134 KB, 223x311)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>59132279
>>
File: UW Approach.jpg (30 KB, 715x223)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Playing this at FNM's, just an upgraded Second Sun challenger list. Probably going to try grab another settle and another gearhulk.
>>
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-standard-jank-1/

Tear apart my shitty “Literally just put it together a half hour ago” janky Standard Deck.
>>
>>59133569
drop
1x Nezahal, Primal Tide
2x Riverwise Augur
2x Warfire Javelineer
2x Fling

get
3x Hieroglyphic Illumination
4x Soul-Scar Mage

once dominaria drops get the UR check lands, personally i'd replace aether hub, but that's because i don't like the card
>>
>>59133651

I do not have any Soul-Scar Mage. What would you switch out for the Hieroglyphic Illumination?
>>
>>59133678
Drop the augurs, brainstorm for 4 with a 2/2 tied to it is bad
>>
>>59133706

Cool, thanks.
>>
Haha oh wow brawl is a rotating format?
Haha wow.
>>
>>59134630
It's cheaper, casual standard
>>
>>59132039
Green Mono is gonna be huge.
>>
>>59128945
It's pretty gimmicky, but with Rhonas' Last Stand you can play a turn 3 Ghalta.
>>
File: 37d.jpg (30 KB, 600x600)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>tfw you didn't go yesterday so you don't have a llanowar elves promo

will they ever give them out again?
>>
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/smithing-surprise/

Here's my first Brawl deck. Haven't played it yet but maybe tonight I'll get to. There's some cards I'd like to trade in I currently don't have.
>>
File: en_o3tIyBf1nX.png (164 KB, 265x370)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
Anyone got deck tec for these fun bois?
>>
>>59136004
>yesterday
My Open House starts in an hour. Want one?
>>
>>59137227
Make new rat
>>
>>59137227
40 rats 20 lands
>>
Any cards from Dominaria going for a decent amount yet?
>>
>>59137227
Since it's any other rat you could do u/b and throw in Arcane Adaptation. I think there's only one other rat in standard and that's Ruin Rat. Ixalan definitely should've had sea rats. Anyone remember that short story were a ship runs low on food and the rats on board eventually eat the whole crew?
>>
>>59137932
>the planeswalker deck planes walkers are going for $15+
Why?
>>
>>59137261
>>59136004
My LGS is only giving them out if you bring someone who hasn't played magic before. Since I have no friends, no promos for me.
>>
>>59138045
Go to a different store and say you’re new to the game.
>>
>>59138061
do they give you the promo immediately? mine goes from 2-8 but i have exams on monday
>>
>>59137935
>>59137227
I forgot about Thriving Rats. So there's atleast 3 rats in standard unless Dominaria has more.
>>
>>59138149
No clue. Never gone to one. Just make sure you give a fake name so they don’t find your DCi. Go with a famous person’s name for extra value, so you can find out if a celebrity is a giant nerd too.
>>
>>59138061
Unfortunately all three stores that are doing the event know me. I'd have to drive like half an hour to go to a place that didn't.
>>
File: welp.png (147 KB, 400x300)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>Challenger decks sold out every-fucking-where except ebay but it's not a thing in my third world country thanks to ridiculously high shipping fees
Thanks WotC. Should I just fuck this and spend my money on a prerelease event? In my country cost is the same as for second sun control deck
>>
>>59138586

If you want something to go to fnms and such try and get the deck or build something cheap like RB pirates

If you want dominaria cards, prerelease
>>
File: 1445923349159.png (923 KB, 1011x1088)
923 KB
923 KB PNG
>>59138694
Well, the Kaladesh prerelease was really enjoyable. On the other hand I'm a brainlet and still hope that WotC will release a second wave of challenger decks
how cheap are pirates?
>>
>>59138768

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-53-26-tix-rb-pirates-standard

50-ish dollars for budget version. It doesnt lose a lot of cards and you can probably change the canyon sloughs for evolving wilds to shave a couple bucks anyways

Prereleases are quite fun though, and you can always trade what you dont want and start planning for a standard deck
>>
So I've been playing monored, and as part of my autism, track a few things during my games like how many lands I drew.
Despite running 23 lands in my deck, I average close to 60% land draw in over half my games. I've had so many games where I get someone so close to dead, then run out of gas because I'm drawing too many god damn lands.
I've also had six games out of 31 where I've drawn three or more lands in a row.
Is there some trick to shuffling I'm not aware of to avoid this clumpy bullshit? I've looked at youtube videos and such on how to shuffle, but it appears I'm doing things correctly.

Also, anyone know where I can find information on how to sideboard? It's always been one of the weakest parts of my game. Feels like info on how to sideboard is common for just about every other deck except monored.
>>
>>59139095
>Is there some trick to shuffling I'm not aware of to avoid this clumpy bullshit?
I'm always using a ten piles method
>>
>>59139180
When pile shuffling, prime numbers are better for randomization. You also are only allowed to pile once per match.
>>
>>59139227
>You also are only allowed to pile once per match
What, there is a rule on shuffling the deck? Fuck me, I'm only playing a timmy casual, I had no idea
>>
>swear off standard after the rr bans
>only edh and modern
>build mono green stompy on a whim
>fun af, play it more than burn
>dominaria spoilers
>green ramp/stompy looks like a real thing
these goddamned jews are trying to pull me back in
Help.
>>
>>59139265
Yeah, at competitive REL you can only pile shuffle once per match since it can take a while to shuffle that way. It's also more often than not used to count your deck after sideboarding.
>>
>>59139180
It's better to use a number of piles that doesn't go into 60 evenly. I personally use 7, or "haiku style" 5 7 5.
>>
>>59139095
You could always run less lands, i know some monored lists play 21 or so
>>
>>59124485
>How do you feel about Brawl? Have you played it or brewed anything for it?
The appeal of EDH was The fact that it was a legacy light. Accessibly and allowed for really fun shit.

Brawl
Takes away that first aspect, slightly harder to achieve the second aspect over regular standard, and without the toolbox that a wider format allows will lead to really slow and boring play, and yet what could you do in Brawl that you couldn't do in standard? The whole third aspect was that EDH allowed you to do really crazy stuff you couldn't hope to accomplish in "regular' formats.

No. Brawl does not look very appealing. As always I'll certainly try it but it looks bad on paper.
>>
will there be challenger decks for the next rotation?
>>
>>59139851
I hope so. I think that WotC released so few decks this time because they are trying the market for now. Still, I think they released challenger decks too late. They should be in stores in February/March
>>
>>59139095
If you're doing mono red you can risk going down to 20 or go to 21. You could also add some card draw. As for sideboarding, you basically want answers to stuff that's not in your main or extras of things that work against your opponent.
>>
>>59139930
20 or 21 lands when running four drops is incredibly risky, and just about impossible for five drops.
>>
>>59139975
True. If you're mono though there's no worry of needing specific mana and, if your CMCs are low then sometimes your set for the game with 7 lands.

I highly suggest adding some card draw. Red has some decent draw right now if you want to pitch extra lands in your hand.
>>
File: Smashysmashrobot.jpg (154 KB, 768x432)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Anyone else still playing the little robot that could?
>>
>>59140104
Nah. Tried that version that splashed blue for flying but the novelty of making a 517power robot wore off after awhile
>>
File: 2q4zafal6chz.jpg (1013 KB, 1200x966)
1013 KB
1013 KB JPG
Finally a standard deck.
I'm playing W/B vampires token deck . the list is pretty set, my only doubt is if running 3 metallic mimics is better than 3 dusk martyrs. on one side if you play a turn 2 mimic and turn 3 quee'n order you get tokens you get 2 x 2/2. but dusk martyr could be better agains boardvipes since it creates a 1/1 token when it dies.
Some help mah niggs?
>>
File: Cowabunga Carl.jpg (14 KB, 503x302)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>59137227
x4 Drowned Catacomb
x4 Fetid Pools
x2 Submerged Boneyard
10 Swamp
26 Rat Colony
x4 Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive
x2 Gruesome Fate
x4 Pull from Tomorrow
x4 Secret Salvage
>>
I really want to get into standard after looking at all the spoilers. How should I do it? Buy a challenger deck and build from there? Wait to see what's going to see play? Please help.
>>
>>59140807
You could sideboard the Dusk Martyrs. Are you running Radiant Destiny? Not bad for a static buff if you're going all vampires.
>>
>>59141044
The most important part are the lands, it'll cost you a good $100~ for the land base for ALL decks, from there you can build cheap and work your way up using budget decks.
>>
>>59141044
Just depends on what you want to play. If you go with a challenger deck the BG one and the R one give you the most bang for your buck.
>>
>>59141044
Challenger decks are a pretty safe bet. They're built around decks already running in standard so you can already have something good out the box.
>>
Thanks, time to find out if my LGS still has one of them. I don't really want to spend so much on lands since I already have a good mana base for other formats.
>>
>>59141044
Challenger decks are great but remember they will rotate out in 5 months
>>
File: 1406754570332.png (160 KB, 320x272)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>59127777
>>
>>59137227
4x Metallic Mimic
>>
>>59141160
I know, but the Kaladesh cards are still going to be worth something. 5 months of gameplay is pretty good too.
>>
>>59141078
yup I am running it. Sideboard is pretty tight to include the martyrs
>>
>>59140069
Card draw takes away from the deck and its purpose. This isn't some control deck that's looking to eke out an advantage in the long game -it wants to win, and it wants to win fast.

>>59140104
Bogles-lite would be better if there were better ways to protect the robot while you accumulate energy, or even just find the damn thing to play it. Being UG also means you have no real way to control the board, so if you're not in a winning position by turn 4 or 5, you're probably just fucked.

>>59141160
They're $23-35 bucks on TCG. Even if you got to play with them for a month that's probably worth it to most folks.
>>
>>59141198
Yeah, also you can always use them in EDH. I want to grab a vehicle one just for commander
>>
File: Screenshot_60.png (21 KB, 931x222)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>59128945
I'm new. What do I change? pls no carnage tyrants
>>
File: 1406754499518.gif (562 KB, 400x400)
562 KB
562 KB GIF
>>59141177
Exquisite
>>
>>59141267
Why no tyrant? Too expensive?
>>
>>59141288
Yeah, pretty much. Would he even be mainboard though?
>>
>>59141267
I'd probably run mouth to feed over the lifecrafter's bestiary and immortal sun.
Rhonas' momument is a strong contender as well.
You also need some kind of removal or ways to interact with your opponent otherwise you're just going to be playing an extremely linear gameplan that your opponents will be able to read and play around.
>>
>>59132279
Cut in Amonkhet was 4 damage to a creature for 2 mana, and then had a second card attached to it.

3 mana for 5 damage to a creature with a huge kicker cost as an upside is nothing special.
>>
>>59141324
I'd cut a Ghalta for it desu, but that's just me
>>
>>59137227
Rat Colony x10 (maybe 8 incase of Lost Legacy or Ixalan's Binding)
Metallic Mimic x4
Heart-Piercer Manticore x3
Angel of Invention x2

Secret Salvage x2 (or 3)
Diabolic Tutor x2
Radiant Destiny x2
Fling x4
Tormenting Voice x4
Cathartic Reunion x2
>>
>>59141238
Card draw can help you get to your playables faster though. Red decks usually have the problem of relying on top decking. Try dropping 1 or 2 lands and another card for 1-3 Tormenting Voice and see how your games play out.
>>
>>59124976
Out of the 7 cards currently banned in Standard 5 were from Kaladesh block.

This is just what happens. Every 5-7 years in Magic's history we've had an artifact set come around and ruin everything for a year or two.
>>
>>59132385
I will, sideboard will include deathgorge scavenger as well.

>>59135090
I really don't like Rhonas' last stand, and that requires a nutdraw of two llanowar elves, last stand, two lands, and ghalta. I can get T4 ghalta pretty easily goldfishing.
>>
>>59141698
Walk me through getting T4 Ghalta plz
>>
>>59141395
>You also need some kind of removal or ways to interact with your opponent
Some good examples? All I know is Ajani Intervention or whatever it's called.
>>
>>59141540
On second thought I'd probably drop the Angels and maybe the Destinies for more removal. Destiny would be a good help though. But as you guys can tell, the point is to build up your rats to swarm or just fling for direct damage. Ixalan's Binding and Lost Legacy are serious threats though in a deck that's a majority of rats. I guess the deck could sideboard a few Demystify or run some other rats. Arcane Adaptation is also good to make all the creatures rat so everything gives Colony Rats a boost.
>>
File: Screenshot_61.png (21 KB, 884x246)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
Added in some changes. I worry the amount of 2 drops is gonna make this deck really inconsistent though.
>>
File: Second Sun.png (17 KB, 883x403)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
Would oath of Teferi be worth putting in to possibly catch an opponent unaware and race to Teferi's ultimate?
>>
>>59141728
Requires a Heart and a 3 drop. Elves is nice, but not needed.
T1 Elves
T2 Heart
T3 Rhonas/Serpopard/Champion crew and swing
T4 Crew, 8-10 power is now on board because Heart is now a 4 power creature, drop Ghalta.
>>
File: 1520587332694.jpg (237 KB, 1200x1200)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>/r/Spikes is saying Mono G is gonna be bad
I'm worried, lads.
>>
>>59141895
You also have elves, two three drops, and ghalta
T1 Elves
T2 4/5 power 3 drop
T3 4/5 power 3 drop, or Ripjaw
T4 Ghalta.
>>
>>59141930
I was hype for monogreen but once we started seeing the monoblack stuff I switched allegiance. I wanna run 20 Swamps and 2 BadCoffers.
>>
>>59141930
>giving a shit
I play at FNMs, not PPTQs.
>>
>go to open house
>thanks for showing up, but actually you're the only person who came here for open house today... we can at least give you a deck and the promo
>end up buying a prerelease ticket for next weekend
I only have Hearthstone experience. How fucked am I during prerelease?
>>
>>59140720
>>59141238
>splashing blue and not red
Terrible. Just terrible. No wonder you aren't having success with the deck, you're not playing the Chad R/G version.
>>
Any chance for BG saprolings being a thing in standard? Or maybe splashing W for stuff like Anointed Procession will be needed?
>>
File: 1492100977142.jpg (6 KB, 226x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>59142129
Pre-release is a very casual, beginner-friendly event. You'll do just fine bud. You can even ask your fellow players for help deckbuilding if you want, it's expected.
>>
>>59142285
Saprolings will use white I am pretty sure, and they wont be to bad. Definitly tier 2 imo.
>>
>>59142285
I definitely see it happening. I've had fun with Leafshoot Dryad, Overgrown Armasaur and Path of Discovery.
>>
>>59142221
I didn't stop playing it because i was losing, i stopped because it was boring. Played rr until the bans made me hate wizards
>>
>>59142129
prerelease is the best magic experience there is, period.
>>
>>59141728
T1 Llanowar elves
T2 Steel leaf champ/ catsnek
T3 monument
T4 Resiliant Kenhra then Ghalta, swing for 9-10 damage
T5 GG
>>
>>59142285
I might run this for Dominaria. I honestly want to get Firesong and Sunspeaker but this could be an alright tribal deck.

Verdant Force x1
Slimefoot, the Stowaway x3
Tendershoot Dryad x2
Deathbloom Thallid x2
Thallid Omnivore x1
Thallid Soothsayer x1
Sporecrown Thallid x4
Yavimaya Sapherd x1
Llanowar Elves x4

Fungal Infection x4
Saproling Migration x4
Spore Swarm x2
Fungal Plots x3
Broken Bond x3
>>
Bump
>>
File: image_32544_19_v1.png (675 KB, 811x629)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
Alright guys, tell me
>Did you get one?
>If yes, which one?
>How was it doing out of the box?
>Are challenger decks a good way to change standard into a newbie friendly and somewhat healty format for real?
>What should be changed with the next wave of challenger decks?
>>
>>59145613
yeah I got like 8 of them
all the red one
sold all the chandras and Hazorets for profit
bought 5 more
sold some of those for profit and trying to get rid of the last few

I don't understand why Wizards gave me free money
>>
File: 1411846987103.gif (1.04 MB, 165x115)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB GIF
>>59145944
I think I hate you Anon
>>
>>59145944
>a bunch of kids didn't get to play RDW so some mtgfinance faggot could make $50
>>
>>59142999
you are smalltime

T1: Forest, Ovia Pashiri, Mox Amber, Llanowar Elves
T2: Rishkar Peema Renegade, Llanowar Elves
T3: Ghalta Primal Hunger
T4: Pumps and shit swing for 20 GG
>>
>>59145944
>the reason why the mtg community hates financefags: the post.
>>
I'm thinking UW Flash is going to be a very strong contender in the upcoming standard
>>
>>59145944
Boo
>>
>>59145996
>>59146002
>>59146303
>>59146454
easiest (you)s of my life

I actually only bought 1 and it was the GB one because I needed Siphoners and a Balista for other reasons
>>
>>59146496
Daaaaamn, you got me trickster anon.
Have a nice night
>>
>>59146393
Something like this is what I thought up last night

24x Lands-4x Memorial to Glory
4x Opt
3x Seal Away
1x Cast Out
2x Blink of an Eye
4x Syncopate
4x Glimmer of Genius
3x Disallow
4x Nimble Obstructionist
3x Aven Mindcensor
3x Favorable Winds
3x Dreamcaller Siren
2x Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage

It's not optimized but I see a lot of potential in the archetype
>>
>>59146496
I only pretend.png
>>
>>59131493
I went 3-1 (9-3) with BUG constrictor+Hadana's Climb on the gameday
>>
>>59141691

>Out of the 7 cards currently banned in Standard 5 were from Kaladesh block.

Yeah but most of the banning is a result of how little you could interact with energy counters and not necessarily card power levels. It was basically free mana for activating certain cards or so, like you had an Omnath, Locus of Mana effect on your side active.

>This is just what happens. Every 5-7 years in Magic's history we've had an artifact set come around and ruin everything for a year or two.

Interesting observation, can't fault it either. However I don't really recall Antiquities ruining everything back in the day.
>>
>>59141691
KLD block fuckery is barely related to artifacts though. It's all just valueshit and the energy mechanic being dumb. If Marvel was an enchantment for example, it'd still be fucking busted.
>>
>>59147162
>However I don't really recall Antiquities ruining everything back in the day.
The MTG was too new, and the Alpha set was powerful enough to compete with it.
>>
>>59147483

I was actually playing back at that time though I was somewhat youngish, just trying to think what the most broken lines of play that Workshop decks did if they existed at the time in Type 1. Maybe they just jammed Juggernaut and swung for the fences in the day, i dunno.
>>
How does mono-green look in the upcoming meta?
>>
>>59149475
It's looking green
>>
>>59141698
Only one Llanowar, actually.
T1: Forest>Llanowar
T2: Forest>Steel Leaf Champion
T3: Forest>Rhonas' Last Stand>Ghalta
>>
File: DarPxURVMAA9l9s.jpg (29 KB, 540x540)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>tfw for DOM planning on attending two prereleases and buying 2 boxes

am I going overboard
>>
>>59142129
Pre-releases are cool, some places even have casual 2-Headed-Giant versions, I'm going to one next weekend even though I've been playing for a while, just love the format, and I can tell you it is pretty great and welcoming.
>>
>>59136004
I went to one of the LGS's I play and they weren't handing out the promos claiming there was no supply at all to any of the veterans bringing the new players and only the new players got the cards (My buddy gave me his because he absolutely hates elves but anyway, still rustled about the whole ordeal of them outright lying about the cards). Is there any way to get'em wrecked about that? Its not the first time they did this, Silvergill Adept and Walk the Plank were all the same lies on their hands as far I heard.
>>
File: P4120002.jpg (2.02 MB, 2000x1500)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>59145613
>had to buy a set because that's the only way many local shops sell them for cheap
>GB deck had production error, missing 4 glint sleeves

Feels bad man
>>
>>59150149
You look like a fagt.
>>
>>59133651
>>59133706

Hey man, just wanted to tell you I did pretty good at Standard for the open house at my lgs. Went 2-1, and the guy I lost to was playing a near tier 1 deck, and we went 2-1, both loses were pretty close.

The Soulscar Mages will be the next upgrade, along with the Sulfur Falls once Dominaria releases.
>>
>>59150149
Contact Wizards and they'll probably replace it.
>>
>>59150282
Congrats, glad I could help
>>
>>59145944

You could try a couple days working to make that money and it would probably be less effort than selling singles
>>
>>59150464
>buy RDW deck
>take hazoret and chandra out
>contact wizards, saying they duped me out of the mythics.
>get free value
What's stopping me from doing this?
>>
would the banned dinosaur get unbanned?

what was the thing that broke him the most? the no winning life?
>>
File: 70qjbcs.png (441 KB, 919x869)
441 KB
441 KB PNG
>>59145613
Got the red one, because wanted a Hazoret.
Because Jackal masked women are my fetish
>>
>>59150972
Combination of on curve body with evasion and two always relevant effects that always hurt the opponent rather than you.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (581 KB, 3529x1247)
581 KB
581 KB JPG
I NEED A JUDGE HERE.
I'm playing MTG at home with friends and need some advice. We are discussing about rule 509.1h where it states:
>An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.

Basically we got a player using a doomblade on a blocker so damage is supposed to apply and go through directly at the player/other creature blocking it. But unfortunately based off of this rule it appears the opposite is true where the blocker STILL is declared and damage HAS to be blocked at first.

What the fuck am I on coke or something or what? Can someone assist?
>>
>>59151192
Once blockers are declared, blockers are declared. He'd have to doom blade at any point before the declare blockers step in order to hit the opponent - barring Trample damage.
>>
>>59146496
>>59150655

Yeah I'm an idiot
>>
>>59151192

If Blockers have been declared, any attacking creatures that have a blocker declared are considered blocked. You have to remove the creature before blockers have been declared otherwise it’s too late. The exception is creatures with trample, where if you remove any blockers you can assign the damage to the player.
>>
>>59151300
>>59151257

Fuck me, me and a bunch of other players have been playing incorrectly for years! Guess I gotta start announcing declare blockers.
>>
Honest question. I found two hazoret decks for msrp and bought them. How much more cards would i need to make it really good. Im not spending more than 10 bucks cuz i refuse to spend very much on non legacy stuff so no rekindling phoenix. I do have an extra glorybringer in additon to the ones from the deckm

Can i even 4-0 fnms this way?
>>
>>59151192
Alright, so if blockers have been declared, doom blade doesn't have the intended effect. The player would have to destroy the creature before blockers are declared, otherwise they're still considered blocked. Now, if they could doom blade the only blocker and give their creature trample, the damage would still go through.
>>
>>59151339
Sleeve a tiny chart with all the phases in a turn and what they do, and memorize the phrase "I pass priority".
>>
>>59151339
It's literally the dumbest rule in magic. I wish blocks would be checked again before combat damage, there's no reason anyone needs to cast a doom blade on a creature that may or may not block. It should be able to be killed after being declared as a blocker, the game should check the state of blocks a second time (just as it checks for legal targets of spells twice, once on cast and then on resolution).
>>
>>59151557
nah, its a rule meant to give the defending player an advantage and it has its place in balancing out the attack phase.
>>
File: CG02003.png (66 KB, 196x232)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>59141969
>MFW the FNM regulars at my shop play more competitively than the bulk of the people that went to a local PPTQ today
>>
>>59151364

To get 4-0 you will need 4 Hazorets rather than 2.
>>
>>59124636
Where are you that the Challenger Decks are sold out everywhere? Jeez, they're still available at my LGS, and I'm not even in a real city.
>>
File: 1520537062431.jpg (152 KB, 1080x1080)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>59141969
>80% of my FNM is comprised of PPTQ attendees
Good and bad for me.
>>
>>59152805
Not him, but Scotland has this issue.
>>
>>59153001
It's about 80% for me too, because it's mainly the competitive players who are willing to put up with the sorry state that Standard is in right now.
>>
>>59152805
I'm from Poland and it's really hard to find a store that still has them or is not charging a 150% of the pre-order price. My budget is tight so I would rather buy a deck and spend some cash on uprading it than keeping it in out-of-the-box state until rotation. The worst part is that the deck I want (Second Sun) doesn't even come with useful cards for EDH like the rest of them
>>
Here s a meme deck my boys

4-Gonti's machination
4-Shock
4-glint-sleeve siphoner
4-Lightning strike
4-Dynavolt tower
4-Unlicensed disintegration
3-SwordPoint Diplomaty
2-someone's blasting cannons
2-vraska's contempt
3-firebrand archer
2-claim/fame
1-cut/ribbons

2-canyon slough
4-dinoskull summit
4-aether hub
4-ifnir deadlands
6-montains
2-swamp

Its bad but transforming glintsleeve into better bob with gonti's slow lavaspike is fun
>>
>>59154756

+ 1 canyon slough
>>
File: ssc.png (70 KB, 202x282)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
How do I improve this bad boi with no gearhulks? 3 more Settle the Wreckage, 1 more Fumigate, 2 extra Ipnu Rivulet - something else?
>>
>>59151045
>tfw you managed to snag an invocation Hazoret back when they were still $40 and a playset back when she was $7
Though due to riffle shuffling for several months, every card in my monored deck has a slight bend, now. Not sure if they can be unfucked.
>>
>>59151929
This. If a kill spell effectively gave attacking creatures trample chump blocking wouldn't be a thing and we'd be one step closer to being Creature: the Tappening.
>>
File: DO NOT PURSUE LU BU.png (121 KB, 223x311)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>59156422

>If a kill spell effectively gave attacking creatures trample chump blocking wouldn't be a thing and we'd be one step closer to being Creature: the Tappening.

You mean like RIDE DOWN?
>>
File: images-26.jpg (25 KB, 294x500)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>59156644
Ride Down is such an Underrated card.
>>
>What're you guys playing and what do you hate playing against in the current meta?

Currently playing mono-black monument. For a budget deck, it's surprisingly lethal — people usually focus so much on stopping the infinite combo that they forget that the Marionette master kill is typically unanswerable.

That said, it struggles with aggro decks. A lot.

>How do you feel about Brawl? Have you played it or brewed anything for it?

It's a great way to repurpose draft chaff and have fun with friends, but I'm wary of how it'll play out competitively. Not really in the mood to play against Nicol Bolas and Scarab God decks ad infinitum.

I've built Hapatra tokens and Gonti looting. They're fun.
>>
>>59124485
Only sociopaths play blue cards.

That is all.
>>
>>59151045
oh
>>
>Despise mirror matchups in any game with randomness involved (card draw in this case)
>Arena has like 2 decks
>>
>>59150765
Looks way less likely than the deck missing a playset of the same card
>>
>tfw my FNMs is filled with small-japanese-tournament-tier decks and people
>Fun decks all around, like Hapatra+Explore+Journey to Eternity and Treasure-decks
>While I'm playing Hadana's Climb+Constrictor
Comfy
>>
>>59159190
That's not going to change unless they make some significant changes to the economy to allow people to actually make more than one deck — Or even make one complete deck. I've been playing a good ten games a day since the last reset and I still only have two glorybringers, one hazoret, and one earthshaker. It's fucking stupid.

But yeah, it's 60% RDW, 30% UB control, and 10% UW tokens/merfolk
>>
>>59150655
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6zMY0cfzfc
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>59131983
That deck is actually super sweet.
It felt great to play it, Bravado actually gets people pants down, and 16 damage double-strike kills feels gets my dick hard.
I'll seriously consider building it.
>>
>>59155297
Which of the challenger decks would you recommend for a beginner? I want to get my cousin into magic with a deck that works.
>>
How do I get better at deckbuilding? I feel so lost at times
>>
>>59150972
3/3 for 3 with evasion whose abilities are extremely relevant to Hazored's game plan. It was just too efficient and gave Red a very positive winrate against every deck except Temur Energy.
>>
File: Powerstone Shard.full.png (184 KB, 253x358)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
Do y'all think Powerstone Shard could generate something interesting? The last time I tried playing standard was because of Water Tower which had some chances of snagging wins and was an interesting design. Shard fits the latter for me, could it fit the former? Maybe without scalping my wallet since my budget decreased?
>>
>>59164493
Play good decks until you understand why they're good.
>>
File: 1522195538062.png (249 KB, 493x604)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
>>59159073

>at FNM
>first round pairing is against a guy who's nice but absolutely hates playing versus control
>only deck I brought is u/w approach
>counter two of his spells
>he scoops and leaves
>I feel bad the entire night

I mean shit, I shouldn't but fuck. Every time I play the deck I feel awful when I play against someone who hates control.
>>
>>59164475
Honestly, seems like all four challenger decks are decent. There is no bad pick here. Second sun might be quite strange to play with because you use nearly no creatures but it's fun as fuck to dig for approach
>>
>>59165665
I hate control and I'm ready to punch every single BU player but man, second sun is my guilty pleasure
>>
>Phyrexian Scriptures turn 5
>Fall of the Thran turn 6, killing all their lands and creatures
>Turn 7, exile their graveyard with Scriptures, turning Fall of the Thran into a one sided Armageddon.
This combo is too sexy not to play. What shell should it go into? Settle the Wreckage is a must 4 of, but should i keep it WB, or put it in an esper shell?
>>
Is there a site I can use to test out my dino deck? I live a good distance away from where my friends and I play plus no one here at my house plays.
>>
>>59166262
MTGO if you want to pay, Xmage or Cockatrice if you want to play for free and can tolerate buggy, yet mostly functional, clients.
>>
>>59166262
If you don't want to download anything use untap.in
>>
File: 1523485948575.jpg (40 KB, 474x670)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>59166422
>>59166438
I can download it's no issue but I'll check all of them out. Thanks, guys
>>
>>59165665
They'll have to learn not to play like shit eventually. "Mommy May I" style control decks can be irritating as fuck, yeah, but that's when you have to learn not to play into obvious counter spells or bait out shit. If you're playing an aggro or creature-centric midrange deck, learn not to over-commit to the board. Shit like that.
>>
>>59166787
The problem with playing against draw-go is that depending on what you're playing sometimes you will just never be able to outpace their card draw and counters/removal. Doesn't matter how well you try to play around their spells if you have to keep slowrolling around counters while they continue to build up mana and resources.
>>
>>59166859
Part of learning the game.
There's a lot of UB control at my LGS, so I sideboard for it. I take out a lot of my cheap creatures and side in more burn and shit their moment of cravings can't touch and so many threats they have to blow their contempt on shit when it's not advantageous for them.
I play monored.
>>
>>59154756
Get harnessed lightning in there right now you nerd. If you're running Dynavolt you might as well charge it with removal.
>>
>>59131376

didnt UR god pharoah's gift win the pro-tour, vs mono-red as well
>>
>>59166910
I'm mainly playing Grixis midrange, so I don't worry about BU control that much. It's the white variants with tons of exile or outright denial spells like Ixalan's Binding that are annoying to play against. The playset of Negates and pair of Supreme Wills just aren't enough most of the time, so I've had to even add Nezahal to my sideboard.
>>
>>59159190
There’s 5, though.
>>
>>59155297
Look into Bant or MonoWhite.
>>
>>59164807
Hoping to bring back metalwork featuring powerstone, mirrage mirror and cogwork assembler.
>>
>>59165665
Honestly you learn to make it a sadism thing eventually.
The thought process goes like this:
>He doesn't like control
>He lets this get the better of him
>He becomes toxic
>You salt his apples so hard he leaves
>Nobody else has to deal with him.
>You're the good guy

I'm lucky i don't have to deal with that all to often. Probably the worst instance of this happening to me wasn't even that bad.
>MM17 release night draft
>P1P1 Snapcaster Mage.
>Draft R/U things i can use to abuse Snapcaster Mage
>Playing against one of the nicer guys in the store.
>Plays janky brews in modern
>Always ready to hand out a deck to the new players. Just to make sure Modern FNM fires
>He's drafted an okay bant splicer deck.
>Pretty late in the second game. I'm up a game through i assume flier beatdown.
>He has a blade splicer on board, attacking with his golem.
>Block it with a 3 power.
>"Before damage, snapcaster mage, magma jet the blade splicer."
>"In response, restoration angel."
>"Familiar's ruse, bouncing back snapcaster mage, counter resto. Proceed"
>"Really? Proceed?"
>Next turn snap back the familiars ruse for his threat and show him 2 more copies of familiars ruse and he concedes.

I went 1 and 3 that night because g/r turn creatures sideways is just better than any other deck in most limited formats, but i got my entry fee back in cardboard so i can't be mad.
>>
>>59141044
Challenger decks are a great entry point. If you still want to brew though, try building a mono color deck. It will be cheaper since you don't have to buy lands and most mono color strategies favor aggro, which is easy to play and learn.
>>
I have a bunch of dinosaurs. Do i go GR, GW, or RW?
>>
>standard
ew. why is this shit here?
>>
>>59168671
I made a GRW that's gone pretty well. Are you focusing on enrage or dino enable?
>>
File: Fuck this guy.jpg (244 KB, 672x936)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>59168671
I would think GR would be much more streamlined and focused, hence more effective and aggressive, wouldn't it? W doesn't feel like it adds much relevancy.
>>
>>59169605
White just gives you access to removal to answer things like Scarab and Hazoret that you otherwise can't interact with.
>>
>>59162765

Glad you like it.

I didn't play during Kaladesh and Amonkhet so it was a bit frustrating playing standard with mostly Ixalan cards and not finding anything that worked. It's nice to finally win some packs.

It will lose Kari Zev and Invigorated Rampage at rotation, but we're getting Run Amok, and Kari Zev can probably be replaced with Dire Fleet Daredevil or Goblin Trailblazer. Hopefully the fall set gives it something spicy.
>>
>>59169121
I like trapjaw tyrant and want to use it.
>>
>>59165665
>hates control
these people exist?
is it really that hard to just fucking think about how you play and not just play the highest mana card in your hand every turn?

you see blue, you don't waste spells that are important you attempt to bait things out first and then execute your game plan after you have made a safe few moves

man it must suck being a timmy or johnny
I will never understand being an incompetent chimp who can't play vs control
>>
I just got an Arena beta key and I'm getting blasted by people with far better shit than I have. What is the best deck to upgrade? I have a few wildcards and so far BG Explore has been the most successful for me.
>>
>>59172009
Merfolks are dope - make your shit unblockable with +1/+1 counters and fuck bitches. Also monowhite token vampires with second sun alt wincon are fun
>>
>>59172482
I can't make any Mythics right now, so Second Sun is out. I'll stick with tropical fish then.
>>
>>59127777
>it's not a replacement for EDH
yes it fuckin' is, man. they want to drop commander support completely and focus on Masters set reprint cycles. They're also dropping Conspiracy-type supplemental sets because they're consolidating effort into Standard.

face it bud, nobody wants to play your sidisi tendrils combo deck any more anyhow.
>>
>>59138586
you should move to america
>>
File: watermark.jpg (11 KB, 394x295)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>59141177
>>
>>59171977
I hate control too. Not gonna get upset like that guy did, but control and land destruction just isn't fun to play against.
>>
>>59172830
>They're also dropping Conspiracy-type supplemental sets
We're literally getting a conspiracy-type set geared for two-headed giant in the next couple months.
>>
File: Doggo 3.jpg (82 KB, 687x689)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>59165841
Do it 1-2 turns earlier with mana dorks
>>
>>59129892
>4 mana
>>
>>59172643
You need no mythics for SS m8o - only rares.
>>
do you have to stay for all of prerelease? i don't think i have the time to do 6 hours. i thought it'd be like an hour, hour-30 tops.

if i leave will anyone get mad?
>>
>>59174013
Nope, nobody will get mad at you.
>>
>>59174013
the only people who will get mad are the people who get the 'By' if you end up with an odd number
>>
>>59168671
RG dinos is a good strat against uw auras but against mardu agro or rdw or grixis agro you will loose game one
>this all depends on if you do have a carnage tyrant, regisaur alpha, thrashing brotadon
>I wouldn't go for rile shenanigans as they are not consistent enough
>>
>>59165665
if you have a burning hatred for control run r/g monsters or jund monsters(just to side board duress and lost legacy)
>>
>>59173255
>the winter casual draft set has been consistently popular several years running
>"they're going to cancel it just to piss you off"
>>
>>59172009
RDW is the easiest, not to mention the fastest deck so you can get more games in.
The economy is bullshit in MTGA at the moment.
>>
>>59174513
I've always thought of RG dinos as having a neutral or favorable matchup against RDW if the build doesn't rely on drover/that other red guy to power out the dinos early. Anything 4 toughness and above becomes an issue for RDW to deal with without getting itself into card disadvantage.
>>
>>59174734
when against rdw, rdw always gets what it needs and perfect curve and you will struggle with a hand just filled with 4-6 drops in the opener, this happens 9/10 games after siding in Sweltering Suns you have a chance
>>
>>59174793
What are you going on about?

Yeah it can feel like the red deck just dumps its hand and overwhelms you, but a lot of times the deck can stall out or have awkward draws. Decks that don't want to interact with the opponent much and/or focus on their own linear gameplan (ramp dinos, merfolk, etc) can struggle against RDW because other than leaving shit up to block, you have no way to affect their decision making.

Instead of a bunch of drovers and other shit, have lightning strikes and magma sprays in the mainboard. Magma spray especially - not only does it neatly kill a significant portion of their creatures, it also gives you a way to get rid of Scarab God from the UB and Grixis decks that are even more popular than monored at the moment.
Ranging Raptors is a good alternative to drover if you expect to face a lot of red. Gives you a block that'll kill off most of their shit with enough toughness to force them to use a removal spell on it in the early game. Earthshakers and Ahn-Crops can be a bit of a pain in the ass, though.

t. RDW player
>>
>>59174867
>small lgs
>only do sunday showdowns, no fnm
>5 grixis control players
>1 rdw player
>1 mardu vehicles

the only deck I ever ran that did well against all of them was jeski favorable winds and BUG creatures only. But I hate using the same deck week after week, so I constantly try new things during a free event, just makes me pissed off I just see these decks week after week when there is no prize on the line
>>
>>59165665
based guy, wish I could do the same but I'm too much of a pussy to stand by my beliefs
>>
I'm new to MTG and I really like the Egyptian theme.
I have an Oketra and a Bontu and was wondering if they go well together in a black and white deck?
>>
>>59174970
What's wrong with focusing on one deck?
Sure it can get dull, I've hopped around a bunch as well, but by focusing on one deck you really learn the matchups, the lines of play, and so on.

If you're always switching decks, it'll take you longer (in my opinion) to reach a level of proficiency in magic.

Also, Showdown has the Showdown packs.

If Grixis control is so common, play RDW and go under them.
>>
>>59175064
guy at my lgs sometimes does b/w tokens
>anointed percession
>anoiter priest
>Hidden Stockpile

what you do is make it a token deck/life gain, if you are looking for budget filler fill it with sacred cats, Regal Caracal, Sunscourge Champion, Adorned Pouncer, ixalan's binding(side) and then budget black removal golden demise(sideboard), duress(sideboard), Start // Finish, Moment of Craving, never // return
>>
>>59175188
Thanks mate
I'm still learning what all the things mean but I'm happy I already understood most of what you just said!
>>
>>59175064
Read their abilities carefully.
They're opposed in what they want to do - not good together in the least.

Oketra can have a home in white token decks where she can become active without much trouble, but Bontu has never really had a place. She could be found in some decks based around killing people by sacrificing your own creatures, but that option rotated out. Bontu is probably the least-used god at the moment as she has no place in any deck.

If you want to use Oketra, look up RW or BW tokens. Be prepared for incredibly grindy and long games, however — especially if you're a newer player.
>>
>>59175140
If I wanted to play a solved format I'd play modern

I understand the money investment in modern why people wouldn't wana try different decks but in standard the decks are cheap(200-500$ range) that I don't understand why everyone is so content just playing the same thing for months on end.
>without people like me we would of never got u/w auras so late in the standard cycle being discovered
>>
>>59175219
if you play bontu like an augrul's bloodfast it's a decent card and be a very passive player threatening the block, can only be turned on the offensive if you have a hidden stockpile
>>
>Going to have to deal with these fucking Merfolk for another two years
>>
File: arab11.png (231 KB, 636x358)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
>Finally get an arena key
>Expect Wizards not to Jew
>They Jew a lot
>>
>>59175316
this is my favorite card so far, though
>>
>>59175223
>solved format
u wot m8?
$200-500 is quite a lot of money for many people playing magic. And, like I said, some people like what they have and want to work on playing the deck as best as they can. If you're not already familiar/proficient with a deck, it can take a while to learn the dozens of little decisions any deck needs to make, not to mention the matchups.

>>59175260
Anon, paying 3 mana a turn to make someone lose a life is not going to win you a game. Also means that at any point you need to hold back on your mana in order to just have a blocker. Bontu just ain't a good creature.
>>
>>59175300
>fish is a deck
merfolk get shut down easily, what about the fish is getting you
>solemety
>aoe
>magma spray/lightning strike
>push
>unsummon
if you are afraid of the blossoming then sideboard more aoe
>>
>>59175336
he's a big guy
>>
>>59175343
>bontu's ability costs 2 mana and scry's 1
seems like an okay card to me as it gets around crop-crasher and other (cannot block this turn) shenanigans if you have enough embalm, eternalize, or token fuel and against control no one will be willing to waist removal on it because everyone undervalues the card just like riddleform

>can take a while to learn a deck
what are people just slow? Don't people take in consideration each turn and interaction all cards they introduce into a meta will play off each other card in a vacuum?
>>
>>59175316
it's a little funny to watch wotc try to enact their usual greedy business practices on the PC gaming crowd. it never works but they never stop trying either
>>
Newfag to mtf, what are some good strategies to counter energy decks?(in casual games) I was thinking that a red/white deck using final judgment would be perfect
>>
>>59175623
>what counters energy decks
solemnity
>>
>>59175064
It's possible. There's probably a couple of things you can build. Tokens is a good bet because you can get multiple creatures out to activate Oketra and sac them when you want to use Bontu.

The other thing I would look at is embalm and eternalize. You can sac those creatures for Bontu and bring them back for Oketra. There's also 'In Oketra's Name' which gives all your creatures +1/+1 but zombies get +2/+1.
>>
>>59175650
>Players can't get counters
Holy shit that's perfect thanks dude
>>
>>59175623
Save your removal for the creatures that use energy or try to prevent your opponent from getting energy. Really though figure out your opposition's main focus and disrupt it.
>>
File: file.png (1.27 MB, 672x936)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>59175300
my dude
>>
Noob here, how do I git gud at pic related? Do I need to spend a deck adhered to the meta just so I don't get rekt everytime?
>>
>>59124682
I don't think people realize that, going forward, every set is going to be stuffed with legend cards to support this nonsense.
>>
>>59177306
>how to get gud at mtg arena
play rdw
>banned cards like raptor and ruins are not banned in game
>you will build up 'lotus tokens' use them for the cards required to build the deck
>you will also need to play other decks too for your daily quests but rank grinding can be done with rdw

mtg arena makes a suppressive disparity between people who have cards and those who do not, ontop of putting you against people of random rank even if you are new you will be placed up against gold players anyway so the game will punish those who do not put in money
>>
I wanna build a mono green stompy deck wiyh shit in it like gilt leaf champion, ghalta, and grunn the lonely king. Is there already something like rhis out there that you guys know about or am i going to be forced to actually brew a deck for myself?
>>
>>59177690
I don't know what it is, but it's fun to brew
4 x llanamor elves
4 x merfolk branchwalkers
2x elfhame druid
3 x jadelight ranger
4 x Gilt Leaf Champion
3 x territorial allosarus
2 x carnage tyrant
2 x Grunn, the lonely king
3 x ghalta
3 x cartoche of strength
3 x commune with dinosaurs
3 x thunderherd migration
2 x Field of ruins
4 x memory of unity
4 x heshtep oasis
2 x zhalfrin void
2 x Desert of the Indomitable
10 x forests
>>
>>59167212
Mono red won the pro tour 18-0
>>
>>59169777

G/R can totally respond scarab with struggle // survive.
>>
>>59177998
A Grand Prix you fucking retard not Pro Tour.
>>
File: IMG_20180416_192452.jpg (153 KB, 907x533)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>59177690
>>
>>59178674
I like it
>I would sub out monuments for more branchwalkers or new fight dinos because it feels bad to hit 2 of those in the opening hand
>>
>>59176006
Do Embalm and Eternbalize create a token? If so that could work great with the Annointed Procession I have in my deck, and someone mentioned earlier.
>>
File: 1493949760273.png (142 KB, 500x635)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>tfw Llanowar elves are back in standard
>>
>>59178674
I really dislike the jadelight ranger for Green Stompy. It's a conditional 4/3 for 3. While it can help your draws, it can also tell your opponents what tricks are on your drawstep, or be a 2/1 for 3 should you be unlucky enough to hit two lands. I'd much rather run Prowling Serpopard over it, because it is always a 4/3 Same applies for branchwalker. Since these decks aren't about grinding out value all the time, you want it to be a 3/2 for 2, and if I wanted that then I'd just run the 3/2 for 2 vanilla.
Rhonas's last stand is also ehhhhhh. Taking turn 3 off for the possible fatal push BTFO for a 5/4, when you can accelerate into 5/4 steel leaf champion via llanowar elves on T2 anyways, just sounds so unappealing.
>>
>>59179228
I like the jadelights as it digs you closer to more threats, prowling serpopard is a good sideboard card against the control player
>rhonas' last stand is clunky, can replace with wildgrowth walker since we are a bit deep into explore and to just ignore needing to block though lifegain

>we can go more spicy with Frilled Sandwalla
>>
>>59178803
The interaction you describe is literally the sole reason why Anointed Procession is a card
>>
>>59179228
Last stand is just there to enable T3 Ghalta I believe
>>
>>59179998
so the dream is
>turn 1 mana dork
>turn 2 elf riding an angry boi
>turn 3 last stand (have 11 power) + big dino

this plan requires you to have 7 cards (you are allowed 2 draws at the very least, 3 at the most)

what happens when you don't get the dream?
>>
>>59178803
Yes. Embalm makes a token copy of the creature that's a white zombie and Eternalize makes a token copy of the creature but as a 4/4 black zombie. However you'd have to look out graveyard exile or Ashes of the Abhorrent.
>>
>>59180064
You get fucked.

The list has too many 2 drops imo, and I would prefer fight dino/draw raptor over vizier.
>>
What's everyone been playing in Arena recently? I've been crushing pretty decent WU Control. Angel of Condemnation is a huge over performer.
>>
>>59180113
>too many 2 drops
no, I don't think so, infact it needs more
>llanamor elf is not a guarantee
>back in the days of naya pod the deck would run both BoP and Elf and still was not a guarantee you would get a dork
you can't put all your dicks in one basket, consistency is key and the explore is good so if you explore into elf you can pitch it because after turn 4 the elf is a dead draw
>>
>>59177375
This unfortunately. It helps to familiarize yourself with major archetypes so that you can play around stuffm but you should be able to make a decent RDW deck out of the gate, spend some wild card to get a playset of Lightning Strike. This deck is nice because you will just get more matches in because you will either win or lose real quick..
Don't be afraid to just conceed matches you have no chance of winning. Rank is just Epen because matchmaking doesn't care about rank. Just focus on trying to get at least 4 wins a day and complete your quests to maximize your value earned. Spend your wild cards on cards that are relevant in multiple archetypes, and focus on opening packs from the smaller sets (Rivals and Hour) because they have higher impact rares and mythics and you will get repeats more frequently to build up your vault%.
>>
>>59180400
you know what makes me upset about mtg arena, the quests that say 'you must play a [color] and [color] deck' does not allow you get credit if you are playing a 3-5 color deck.
>doesn't really encourage trying different decks or have a feel of rng like at the rare-mythic caps of mtg duels
>doesn't encourage variety by having such a tiny trickle of new cards, this of course if you are even able to get wins out of the gate without pay to have fun
>if you want people on similar power levels to play the ranked system could fix that but the current build doesn't encourage this
>>
>>59180554
Yeah I super agree I had a couple of fun 3-5 color decks before that last reset. Jeskai-Sacrament was a really fun silly deck.
The Economy is really not working for me, I understand that the goal of the game will be to make money, but right now as a pure free2play platform I'm mostly playing it because I want to see it get better.
>>
>>59180700
what worries me is how 'safe space' the game is
>5 emotes that don't sound that are tiny and all are friendly
>no way to communicate with opponite
>no way to play with other players you have played before
>no way to create a 'friends list'
>no way to play against your online or irl friends
the beta exists in a bubble right now and does not really support the kind of experience that paper mtg can bring and I doubt they will enact any of these things in the near future
>I don't see anything wrong with making money but making it an experience that not even people who want to play ftp that they cannot just play with there friends or play with others at the same power level as them that is a bit bad
>>
>>59175336
Slapping a nice white enchantment on this guy feels so good
>>
>>59182855
>nice white enchantment
dub?
>>
>>59180802
I understand why community features don't exist yet because they are more concerned on just making sure the game actually works. The number of bugs I've encountered and visual errors generated by cards like Vizier of Many Faces is enough that I don't mind not having a friends list or anything like that. I think the most important things to get right at this point are the game mechanically, the economy, matchmaking, and after that social features and visual upgrades/cosmetics.
For me right now I'm happy just "NIce!"ing whenever my opponent does something cool that hecks me up.
>>
>>59183380
>Opponent drops a Scarab God T5 against me on the play
>"Good game!"
>I'm playing RDW
>Drop two glorybringers he can't answer back to back
>Spam Good Game until he rage quits

Also, as a bonafide internet asshole, I can assure you most people think you're being a sarcastic asshole whenever you use any of the emotes.
>>
>>59139180
>>59139227
>>59139265
>>59139095
Is there any articles you guys have on randomness and shuffling techniques? This is an issue I have with playing that I never really voice since it'd make me look crazy.

I guess it doesn't help that my kitchen table EDH group uses a partial paris where you always start with 7 cards and can mulligan 7 cards draw 7, choice of 6 draw 6 total 7 etc. and it really rubs me the wrong way
"it's just not fun to not draw any lands or that spell you wanna play!"
it's also not fun to play against 3-4 sculpted hands, build better decks if your opening hands ALWAYS suck
>>
>>59184336
>shuffling techniques
Illegal and not random. I straight up call judges on mana weaving.
>>
>>59184597
I know a couple of people who mana weave and then shuffle normally, whats your opinion on that?

realistically I wanna see some literature on it with some stats
>>
>>59184597
Techniques would be riffle, slide, etc.

I used to riffle for the longest time, but even after being super careful to not overbend the cards, I still have an entire deck that's slightly bent now.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.