[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Image[1].jpg (32 KB, 223x310)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Fair decks edition.

>Playing
>Hating
>Brewing

>Thread question
What are you expecting from today's B&R announcement?

RESOURCES:
>metagame
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>Search Engines
https://scryfall.com/
https://magiccards.info/
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>Budget Decks
https://pastebin.com/Q9D59Wry
>>
>>59172942
>What are you expecting from today's B&R announcement?
Jack and shit.
>>
>>59172942
No changes.
>>
File: PicsArt_04-16-11.56.17.jpg (599 KB, 2499x1621)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
Finally finished to build my storm deck
What a wonderful feeling /tg/
>>
>>59173027
I hope you're as bad at piloting Storm as you are at taking pictures.
>>
>>59173046
I'm very very bad a playing storm
>>
>>59172942
>playing
Soulflayer vengevine, revolt zoo
>hating
Jund. Holy fuck goyfs hose revolt zoo so hard, and bloodbraid is straight value.
>brewing
Some commander stuff, but soulflayer probably needs a rework.
>question
Nothing
>>
>>59172942
Hoping for SFM, but I know we'll get nothing. 4/4 Lifelinker turn 3 is way too powerful for a format with turn 2 kills and turn 2 4/4s for 0
>>
>>59172942
>>Playing
Mono-green Stompy, just ordered the last of my cards for U/R storm as my first big boy modern deck
>>Hating
Affinity
>>Brewing
Hardly qualifies as "Brewing" but I have a lot more cards for my storm deck than will fit, so once everything arrives I'll start goldfishing and deciding the specifics of what I want in.

With my luck they'll probably ban grape shot or something right as i bought the cards
>>
>>59173291
Bans in Modern are no longer intended to fix the meta. They are the way WotC implements rotations. At some point SFM will come back.
>>
>>59173423
>twinfags will never stop being buttmad
feels good
>>
>>59172942

>Playing
Affinity

>Hating
I have a love/hate relationship with Grishoalbrand

>Brewing
Frogtown

>Thread question
I expect something from legacy but not necessarily DRS, and I hope they leave gush alone in pauper. Nothing for modern though, if it were me, I'd unban punishing fire
>>
>>59173459
As a tron player punishing fire unban would be a stupid move. It would make G/R tron way too good versus the bad matchups.
>>
>>59173495

wouldn't that be somewhat neutered seeing how damping sphere is getting into the format
>>
>>59173459
>unban punishing fire
Unban a really slow grindy board control tool? Are you MAD? Why, you might be able to spend 5 mana to kill a Hollow One if that happened!
>>
>>59171517
>At the very least I do think Hollow One is a bit too good being able to dodge both bolt and fatal push and cant get shut down by a GY hate.
>why can't I kill every creature with my cmc 1 spell ;_;
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Get fucked by my turn 1 4/4 mummy dude :^)

Truly Hollow One is the chad deck.
>>
>>59173517
I think everyone is overrating sphere. Sure it stops tron lands, but unlike blood moon it doesn't stop nonbasics from casting colored mana. I'm betting nature's claim in tron sideboards will change to broken bond

Oh turn 2 sphere? sure, untap, broken bond, destroy it and ramp.
>>
File: the old one two.jpg (89 KB, 478x380)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>59173537

You got something to say to me bro? I got more gains then you ever will in a lifetime.
>>
>>59173495

see
>>59173527

I don't think it would be as bad as everyone thinks. Is punishing fire errata'd to hit planeswalkers as well?
>>
>>59173635
yes
>>
>>59173585
Oh so you have to play a deck to explicitely shut off another deck?
lol nerd.
>>
>>59173644

>Oh so you have to play a deck to explicitely shut off another deck?

That's the entire point of playing Hatebears.
>>
>>59173686
When I say another I mean one.
If that's not the definition of desperate.
>>
>>59172942
>B&R announcement
In a perfect world, urza's mine will be banned, noting that they may unban it after "wasteland" is reprinted in the second dominaria set.
>>
>>59173537
Hollow One is Dredge's retarded brother who manages to be lucky sometimes. Dredge is still /The/ Premiere GY deck.
>>
>>59173700
>In a perfect world, urza's powerplant will be banned
Ftfy. Mine and Tower can't function without electricity.
>>
>>59173726
Hollow One is barely a GY deck at all
>>
>>59173726

Sadly I hate to say it but Hollow one can be more explosive than Dredge. Hollow One doesn't even need the GY at all sometimes. Just the right discards.
>>
>>59173726
You sound bitter about the newer, better kid on the block. Dredge has been struggling with placing for a while now, hollow one just took a GP.
>>
HOW TO FIX MODERN

>BAN
Mox Opal

>UNBAN
Punishing Fire
Stoneforge Mystic

>REPRINT
Force of Will
Wasteland
Counterspell
Innocent Blood

>ERRATA
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle is now legendary
Urza's Power Plant is now legendary
Urza's Mine is now legendary
Urza's Tower is now legendary
>>
>>59173739

No man you have to go after the Mine. Seize the means of production.
>>
>>59173768
Kys bluecuck.
>>
>>59173698

Welcome to Modern where certain decks prey on others in a given metagame.
>>
>>59172942
>brewing?
fucking monogreen with that new 3 mana 5/4, probably running coco at the top end (as well as leatherback baloth)
>>
>>59173700
>in the second dominaria set
Who's gonna tell him?
>>
>>59173790
Typically hate decks aren't focused on a single deck and trash against everything else. For example, hate bears has game against a variety of decks.
>>
>tfw splinter twin will be unbanned
>>
>>59173790
Imagine being so butthurt about one single deck that you go to a GP with a deck specifically built to only perform well against that one deck.
>>
>>59172942
Hope:
DRS banned.
Earthcraft unbanned.
Mystical Tutor unbanned.

Workshop restricted (although they'll never do this wotc being the retards that they are, see Forsythe's twitter)

Slippery Bogle banned.
Thalia's Lieutenant banned.
Splinter Twin unbanned.

If the meta stays at 50 flavors of uninteresting goldfish bullshit then put Force of Will into the card pool by fiat.

I realistically expect no changes though, but BBE and Jace unbans were pretty leftfield so something could happen again. Although in hindsight the latter made sense as a way to sell masters packs.
>>
>>59173848

>Imagine being so butthurt about one single deck that you go to a GP with a deck specifically built to only perform well against that one deck.

Did you like miss the GP where Bogles won by maindecking Leylines to beat Storm and other combo decks?
>>
>>59173866
They should maindeck it all times because of discard and edict effects, retard.
>>
>>59173866
The Leylines are there mostly to not autolose to Liliana and Thoughtseize/IoK.

Not losing to Burn/Storm is an added bonus.
>>
>>59173848

That happens all the time dude, it's called a meta read. When Miracles was rampant in Legacy you had certain people show up with MUD to beat through it.
>>
>>59173866
Leyline is good against many decks, you tard.
>>
>>59173822

Wilt Leaf+Loxodon isn't even designed to fight Hollow One decks. That deck was designed to fight a heavy Jund/Abzan midrange metagame. It just has bonus innate advantage against Hollow One memes.
>>
>>59173905

>Leyline is good against many decks, you tard.

It's pretty bad against Tron and Ad Naus.
>>
>>59173866
>>59173884
Okay nerds.
>>
>>59172942
>Brewing
UW Spirits, but I dont know if I should put Vial or not, or put in Remand

4x Seachrome Coast
4x Flooded Strand
4x Hallowed Fountain
2x Ghost Quarter
2x Moorland Haunt
3x Island
2x Plains

4x Mausoleum Wanderer
4x Rattlechains
3x Selfless Spirit
2x Phantasmal Image
2x Tallowisp
4x Spell Queller
4x Drogskol Captain

4x Aether Vial
4x Remand
3x Path to Exile

4x Curious Obsession
1x Temporal Isolation
>>
>>59173874
>>59173880

>discard and edict effects

Lol you guys are scrubs. The leylines were for the expected heavy metagame of Lantern and Storm. Had little to do with anything else.
>>
>>59173956
>wants to autolose to jund
ok, mong
>>
>>59173956
>heavy metagame of Lantern
>>
i have $110 worth of ebaybux saved up. what do i buy? i'm a little wary of modern staples atm since they're all at their highest. currently i'm thinking about getting an iconic masters box since the price is still pretty low
>>
>>59173811
>coco
Dude just build stompy, replacing the 4 baloth with that new GGG elf and 2 Rhonas
>>
>>59173966

>bogles
>autolose to Jund

Bogles is actually favoured game 1 even without maindeck leyline against Jund. Jund is not as difficult a matchup ever since T2 Lilliana stopped being a thing in the deck.
>>
>>59173956
GP Toronto had no Lantern or Storm decks in the top 32 you scrub
>>
>>59173998
never buy sealed product unless you plan to sit on it for years, if you're looking for a deck on the cheap look no further than storm
>>
>>59174019
you're not favored against anything that discard your only threat t1 or ticks Liliana down when you don't have a fetch up
>>
>>59174028

Who the fuck was talking about top 32? I'm talking about the entire tournament you scrub. Lantern was heavy in day 1.
>>
The reason why WOTC turned Masters sets into themed sets is because they're moving all of their modern staples over to other supplemental sets like Battlebond and Core 2019.

I think Wizard's finally learned just how big the demand for modern cards are. $10 packs won't sate that kind of appetite. Snapcasters and Mox Opals need to be printed in Standard quantities.
>>
>>59174060
Core sets will never, ever have the expensive Modern staples.
>>
>>59173998
>currently i'm thinking about getting an iconic masters box since the price is still pretty low
Don't. Only buy those boxes if you don't open them.
>>59174029
>never buy sealed product unless you plan to sit on it for years
This is false.
You should have bought MM17 boxes all day long and opened them at less than €180-190. It all depends on the product.
>>
>>59174060
>WotC
>Ever thinking about the needs of the real players of the game instead of (((investors)))
Those guys will just throw a fit because they bought out huge amounts of cardboard without any tradeoffs.
>>
>>59174060
If only.
You will only be hugely disappointed if you expect Wizards to do anything good.
>>
>>59174046

That's presuming only if you're on the play, if you're on the draw you are on the back foot against Bogles in that case. If they have double threats then you can't answer it. Even before maindeck leyline and BBE unbans Jund was still somewhat unfavored against Bogles. It only gets more even for the deck after SB like most Jund matchups. Believe me I play both decks.
>>
File: Skaven_battle_reports.png (85 KB, 500x429)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
DRS banned in Legacy and unbanned in Modern
>>
why does magic have to be either 3 turn win or mandatory 4x fow shitfest?
>>
>>59174029
>>59174080
I just need something to dump my ebaybux into because it expires on 5/2. The price of modern staples right now is pretty sickening and I already have a modern deck, so anything that has room to grow would be nice.
>>
>>59173027
damn you, I'm still 2 pyretic rituals shy of completing mine.
>>
>>59174188

Wait for Dominaria to come out and speculate on which cards are undervalued there.
>>
just buy something non-mtg related

no point in wasting money on things you don't need atm
>>
>>59174060
Yeah, I'm sure we will see a Karn liberated reprint in battlebond and a noble hierarch reprint in core 19. Remember when they wanted to reprint liliana of the veil in a coreset and then decided not to?
>>
>>59174188
Buy reserved list cards.
>>
Is there a way to bypass Standard to get new cards for Modern? What's to stop WotC from making so that Master sets are entirely Modern legal? Counterspell is to strong for Standard but it would not be broken in Modern.
>>
>tfw make a deck thinking I had a shockland of that color combination
>Orders came in, assembled the deck
>turns out I had the checklands, but not the shocklands to which I remembered trading it for shocklands of another color
Fugggg
>>
>>59174466
Nothing is stopping them doing whatever they want.
>>
>>59174466
A lot of people, shills and corporate thralls mostly, tend to give this impression that things "have" to be the way they are. That there's somehow "rules" about what Wizards can and can't do with their own game.
It's total bullshit.
No one is stopping Wizards from doing anything, they could make every modern card available on a print to order basis from tomorrow. They could make Conspiracy and Un-sets legal in modern.
Even the reserved list, unless Wizards knows something we don't, is basically just the equivelant of "Cross my heart and hope to die" and has zero legal value.
>>
>>59174810
I think the RL is legit thing, they tried to get around it quite a few times but every time something stopped them.
But yeah, the fact that a piece of cardboard that couldn't have costed more than a couple cents to make can costs hundreds of dollars is ridiculous. I wonder if they would make more money if they sold all the singles themselves?
>>
>>59174859
They can't sell singles because of legal business related to gambling and whatnot.
>>
Hell, I'd take a Foil reprint at this point.
>>
>>59174859
>something stopped them

The question is what is that "something". It certainly is not the threat of a lawsuit against them. The fact of the matter is that the RL was a fantastic cop out to justify killing Legacy and Vintage. Now, when it comes to Modern, their true colors are showing. WotC is not a company that makes games for players, but rather lottery packs for vendors.
>>
>>59175068
That something is money. WotC reprinted Mox diamond and their market value plummeted really fast. Now they know the game never belonged to players because players are worthless to keep your company alive.
>>
File: 1523731423095.jpg (432 KB, 1038x589)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
>>59173545
I'm on the other side of the argument here. I think people, especially Tron and Storm players, are underestimating Damping sphere, either out of sheer optimism or with the vile intention of getting people's attention away from the card.

It's a massive, MASSIVE, road bump to tron and storm that will be a hindrance until taken care of and just because you have answers to it in the side doesn't mean it won't ever affect you.

How many Nature's claim/Broken Bond will you put in your side? 2? 4? 8? regardless, there are going to be situation where you won't have the answer and I'll have damping sphere, just like there's gonna be that good little situation where you'll have the answer.

All deck are gonna run cards to answer cards that are good against them. Doesn't change the fact that you get BTFO by it. It only reinforce it.
>>
>>59175325
damping sphere also slows down it's caster since the taxing works both sides.

Also what will you take out for damping sphere in the sideboard? You trying to improve a really bad matchup in some decks, but by doing so you'll probably be more vulnerable to others.

sure the card will do wonders for stuff like artifact prison and lantern, but I'm not convinced it will stop tron and storm from doing their usual stuff.
>>
>>59173966
>Bogle
>Loosing to jund
That's a good one anon
>>
File: v4NZg.gif (718 KB, 400x190)
718 KB
718 KB GIF
>>59175201

And that has been the case since Unlimited moved into Revised. At this point, I tell everyone who wants to get into Modern to just go the chinaman route. They're already good enough.
>>
>>59174295
I remember when they SAID that.
>>
>>59175398
See this comment? this is exactly what I'm talking about. Acting like someone dropping a Damping sphere on them is just a minor hindrance instead of a gamechanging one.

Midrange and control can easily play the card, heck deck like jund who dies to tron will definitely consider the card. Decks where instants can be casted during YOUR turn to let the sorcery speed stuff will be casted during theirs. Lots of decks can do that.

Beside where talking "Oh no, I can cast my two 2 cmc card in the same turn" while the tron play sit there with a Karn he can't cast until he either get to 7 land or draw the coveted answer.
>>
>>59175512
I find it hilarious when people claim WotC cannot reprint RL cards because that would be bad for "product confidence", as it they had not lied to players time and again.
>>
>>59175636
Damping Sphere is a message to Tron and Storm players. If this silver bullet does not work, I expect the banhammer to come out.
>>
>>59175824
No, I just finished to build storm
>>
>>59173291
go fuck yourself
>>
>>59175870
Well, expect Damping sphere when dominaria is out and hope they either don't draw into it or that you have you Echoing truth/Shattering spree in hand.

How you doing so far? Started playing storm two months ago and It's been super fun the couple first times. Been decreasing gradually since then due to people adapting. I blame this on a meta that wasn't prepared for storm initially
>>
>>59175824
Didn't storm had like five cards banned? They're basically the reason why we can't have nice cantrips like ponder and preordain.
>>
>>59173859
why the fuck would they ban thalia..
>>
>>59176077
There was more twin than storm prior to the preordain and ponder bannings
>>
For anyone who cares
No bans to any format
>>
>>59176162
I for one welcome our Mox Opal overlords.
>>
File: d2d.jpg (59 KB, 680x680)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>59173768
>Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle is now legendary
there's a lot wrong with what you posted anon, but that right there is some good shit.
>>
I guess Pridemage is making his home in the mainboard to deal with this affinity/bogles infestation
>>
>>59176077
WotC considers storm a huge mistake. It is always on their sights.
>>
>>59176159
Oh right... I keep forgeting Twin was a deck.

>>59176162
>>59176246

Can you imagine the price spike that would happen if the moxes became modern legal?

Actually, nevermind that, can you imagine the (((investor))) level of butthurt if the moxes where printed in a standard set!?

The game would turn to shit in a matter of seconds.
>>
>>59175988
Welcome to the problem with storm. It is powerful, but if people start to know you are on it, and devote slots to the matchup it can become very hard to win.
>>
>>59175512
>>59174060
>>59174076

WOTC is known for doing shit that no one expects and when theyre desperate they totally go back on decisions. It wouldnt be outlandish for them to print modern staples in core sets and would actually make them alot of fucking money. But wotc is a headless chicken and they will either go too hard too fast on core sets and fuck shit up, or they will be overwhelmingly shitty such as MM sets became.

I loved core sets, and was excited to hear they will be back. But knowing wotc they will fuck it up. We will not get our familiar core sets back. Wer gonna get a shitty wotcified version that is going to be a whisper of what they used to be.
>>
I travel a lot for work, I almost never end up in the same meta more than once a month it's been hell trying to get a stable sideboard for my Esper Gifts decks
Any tips for building a catch all sideboard? I've seen some of the lists online and I really don't like them
I'm tempted to just fill it with removal and just leave all the hoser cards out
Except maybe let line of sanctity
>>
>>59176452
I think stony silence is always a must have for esper.
>>
File: 1522409110698.jpg (22 KB, 358x262)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
I want to build mono u living end.
What am I in for?
>>
>>59175398
>>59175325

well lets look at damping sphere in decks that really need it vs tron.

The first that comes to mind is UW and Jeksai which both really have a hard time vs E-tron especially. Ideal turn 2 damping sphere now we just sit here and wait for late game which tron has arguably the best late game in modern. Lets not even mention how snapcaster becomes strictly worse bc of damping sphere.

Lets take a look at jund/abzan. They currently play fulminator which is ok vs tron but not optimal. They cant blood moon bc it rapes their own deck and blood moon is essentially the same as damping sphere vs tron. They can still come in, in the late game. The thing is now with a blood moonish effect jund can really shine where it was meant to do so. The mid game. Tron and E-tron wont be able to do what it needs to in this match up as abrupt decay takes care of maps, chalices, and even mind stones if need be.

Another deck that comes to mind that desperately needs help vs tron and even storm is mono green stompy. Stompy is for sure a great deck and its astounding how underrated the deck is. But tron has always been by far its worst match up. Now with steel leaf and damping sphere I wouldnt be surprised if stompy gets some serious traction as it actually performs really well vs alot of top tier decks like affinity, control, jund/abzan.

Next decks that would need damping sphere would be something like eldrazi and taxes or death and taxes, and merfolk which both have tough times vs tron. Again damping sphere here act alot like blood moon and possibly is a bit weaker than blood moon in the E-tron match up. These decks are mid to late game and really need to put out something good following that damping sphere or they will indeed still be fucked.

so in conclusion

damping sphere is shit used in control vs tron

It will shine most in jund/abzan and stompy/zoo decks.

Merfolk, D&T and the like, itll be aight.

damping sphere is the stony silence of storm.
>>
>>59176713
also its nice to note you can do a soft lock on mono G tron with damping sphere and stony silence.
>>
>>59176745
mono green tron has been running 4 or 5 basic forests for a while now
>>
> https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/april-16-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-04-16?ac

And to the surprise of literal no one... no changes were made to any format.
>>
>>59176795
hence the soft lock.
>>
>>59176674
Why
>>
>>59176883
Why announce anything?
>>
>>59176962
Because they are contractually obligated to?

I think the reason WHY they didn't make changes is because they want to see how Dominaria (read: Damping Sphere) affects it (read: is it good enough to not make us ban Tron lands and more Storm cards).
>>
Is there a card that deals with the cancerous 3? Humans Affinity and Bogles?
>>
>>59176995
but senpai tron didnt even make it to the top 8 in any recent gp.. why does it need a ban?
>>
>>59177006
Wrath of God
Stony Silence
Back to Nature
>>
>speaking of stompy
Current list, although the Ghalta will be replaced with a second Rhonas, and of course the prey upon will be replaced by dismember. SB i haven't even ordered yet
Thoughts?
4 dryad militant
4 experiment one
2 scooze
2 kalonian tusker
4 avatar of the resolute
4 strangleroot geist
4 leatherback baloth
1 Rhonas
1 Ghalta, primal hunger
>26

4 aspect of hydra
4 vines of vastwood
3 rancor
1 prey upon
1 dismember
>13

19 forest
2 treetop village
>21

Sideboard
3 feed the clan
2 savage punch
1 blossoming defense
1 unravel the aether
2 back to nature
1 natural state
2 skylasher
2 fog
1 dungrove elder
>>
>tfw no changes
>tfw yet again I have to play against literally only drs at events again
The card is cancer please release us from this hell
>>
>>59177013
Probably because Tron is the most one-sided deck in the format. Almost every matchup Tron has is something like 30-70 or 70-30, it either wins easily or gets destroyed.
>>
>>59177006

in general - engineered explosives, detention sphere, anger of the gods, ensnaring bridge, the other anger, kozis return, settle the wreckage, wrath of god, damnation, all is dust, supreme verdict, should i keep going?

humans specific - torpor orb, the torpor orb creatures, electrolyze, blood moon, forked bolt, pyroclasm, flickerwisp and resto angel are actually strate in this match up, izzet staticaster

Affinity specific - stony, the white tax creature, spellskite, ceremonious rejection, izzet staticaster, electrolyze, forked bolt,

bogles specific - any enchantment removal, sacrifice effects there are various black and white ones, spell pierce, spellskite is imo the best one next to EE,

there are so many answers my dude. The only problem is imo sideboards are too small they need to be bumped to 20 cards. That would help alot and make so many of the cucks stop whining their asses off about modern.

who am i kidding all these ppl do is whine. they never stop.
>>
>>59177013
Because it's a combo deck that hides behind the lack of good interaction with it's pieces to win. Imagine baral storm in a format with no removal that cost 1.
>>
>>59177051

are you going to exchange leatherback with the new elf?
>>
>>59177210
Oh heck yea. Not one of the best examples of "strictly better" but damn close.
>>
>>59177051
desu you dont need any removal main board. Leave all removal in the side board and go strate beef in the main. The beauty of mono green stompy is that it can turtle really fucking effectively with vines and a fatty like baloth. The deck can indeed mana turn 3-4 turn kills but you have to go strate aggro and rely on the brute strength that is green.

Creature (27)

4x Avatar of the Resolute
4x Dryad Militant
2x Dungrove Elder
4x Experiment One
2x Groundbreaker
3x Leatherback Baloth
3x Scavenging Ooze
4x Strangleroot Geist
1x Thrun, the Last Troll

Instant (8)

4x Aspect of Hydra
4x Vines of Vastwood

Land (21)

19x Forest
2x Treetop Village

Enchantment (4)

4x Rancor

Sideboard (15)

2x Beast Within
1x Creeping Corrosion
2x Feed the Clan
1x Fog
2x Gut Shot
2x Oxidize
2x Skylasher
2x Spellskite
1x Thragtusk

only deck that give me trouble is tron and storm.. oh gee and the answer is being shipped soon to my door.. well well well...
>>
>>59177193
I'm in GW Taxes so resto angel/wisp are on the menu. Definitely super handy to be able to reset a Champion of the Parish or get Meddling Mage off the table for a turn.

I think I'm going to stick 1-2 pridemages in the MB now and see how it works out next FNM
>>
>>59177259
baloth will be elf and groundbreaker may be baloth in the near future but baloth is out elf is in for sure.

as far as SB

-1 for, -1 spellskite

+2 damping sphere

also prowling serpopard may go in sideboard if needed.
>>
>>59177283
can also bounce an arcbound target and flicker can bounce a plating if needed. Those two cards are super tools in these matchups just need to be able to use the correctly.. Vial in flicker and cast a angel on your own flicker...that play is really good vs humans and affinity.
>>
>>59177259
So should i cut removal for 2 more tusker? Or more beef?
I'll change up my SB tho for sure
>>59177305
Wouuld people even run 8 cards that cost GGG?
>>
>>59176995
>Because they are contractually obligated to?
To who? Who signed what and why?
>>
>>59177305
this makes me sad tho.. i love my baloths they have been so loyal in battle and the art of the OG leatherback is just too bad ass with the tiny arrows sticking out his side.
>>
>>59177376
Baloth's service has ended, after 10+ years of battle it's time for him to retire
>>
>>59177367
tusker is good, but given that maelstrom pulse adn meddling mage and all that shit I go for variety but stick to the plan so maybe two garruks companion. A 2/2 split with garruks companion and tusker is dandy or you can go 4 tusker bc thats strate too. just giving a suggestion.

And yes running 8 GGG cards is fine in mono green. As long as you have a fuck load of 1 and 2 drops as we do.

Arguments can be made for collective company and ive seen lists with the wandering bard in them but i like the no BS list that just goes for it.

Dungrove elders are boss in current jund/abzan meta. If removal wasnt so fucking common atm I would remove them for tuskers or some shit but they are trully very good and only get bigger..inb4 ponza....

anyways take what you will. My list has been very effective and has only had trouble vs tron and storm. All other common decks have for the most part felt fair.
>>
File: baloth.png (486 KB, 382x544)
486 KB
486 KB PNG
>>59177404
he could use some rest I suppose. Let us now have a brief moment of silence and pay our respect to our sweet prince.
>>
>>59177376
Anon, all great warriors deserve a chance to rest. This is his.
>>59177495
Thanks man, think I'll try out 2 companion
>>
>>59177535
F
>>
>mox opal is almost 100$ now

What the fuck.
>>
>>59177535
F
>>
If pic related and 1 other aura are on a creature, does removing the other aura cause this to fall off? Or does it only check on the ETB trigger?
>>
>>59177629
Yes, removing the other aura causes Coronet to fall off. It's one of the reasons why Bogles players throw this on third if possible.
>>
>>59177629
>5/1/2007 If all other Auras attached to the enchanted creature stop enchanting it, Daybreak Coronet will be attached to an illegal permanent and will be put into its owner’s graveyard.
>>
how are Elves positioned in the current metagame? It seems like there's not a consensus between the Jund, Abzan, GW and GB versions
>>
>>59172942
>Brewing
I just had a terrible idea of one shot mill deck with Rallying naban + halimar excavator + jwari clone + phantasmal image.
Quick and shitty math in my head speculates big mill numbers on turn 4 but I am shit at math and mill decks will be shit.
>>
>>59177571
Opal deck won the GP. Give up on cheap opals.
>>
>>59177941
Elves, together with Merfolk, is a tribe that design team are always extra careful with. They have so many "members" that any apparently harmless addition can push them into retardedness.

Right now, I like the GW Vizier combo version.
>>
>>59178041
>check out the list
>hazoret and bitterblossom in the sideboard

Spicy.
>>
>>59177535
F
stompy's oldest friend is now gone
Leatherback baloth is dead, long live leatherback baloth
>>
>>59178088
I see, do you think the consistency of only running 2 colors is better than having shaman of the pack and hand disruption in the sideboard?
>>
>>59178088
Meanwhile humans have access to about half the creature cardpool
>>
>>59177941
I think the jund version is garbage, but thats just my opinion. If someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.
I like gb because shaman can get you wins without combat. Also a fan of mono g since no real life loss
>>
Kind of related but this is the first good thing from jotc that they have said in the past few years.

>Much more important than that is this statement, also from Aaron: "Very true, but at this point, Vintage and Legacy are managed ~100% for the people that do play it."
Good. Modern shitters who wouldnt understand stack interaction and non linear gameplay should not get to dictate legacy bans. Wanting DRS banned is a testament to that.
>>
>>59178273
>>59178088
https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gphar18/top-8-decklists-2018-04-15
Elves taking top in GP Hartford
>>
>>59178261
That's the corner they put themselves into. If every creature needs to have a race, then humans are going to be ubiquitous. A 5c, good shit human deck was an inevitability.
>>
>>59178364
The problem is they kept making rainbow lands for creatures
>>
>>59178342
>burn
FUCK YEA MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>59178464
Sure, but if they had kept the old conventions, Freeboter would have been a pirate, Meddling Mage and Reflector a wizard and Hierarch a druid . So, no fucking deck.
>>
>>59178342
Elves were 8th place.
>>
File: Hartford.png (26 KB, 591x552)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>
>>59173859

>leftfield

It was COMPLETELY to sell magic 25. They were lucky that the meta is so fast that 4-drops are highly inneficient in most decks.
>>
Who else can't wait for Mox Opal, Snapcaster, Lilli, Cavern of Souls, and a newly modern legal card in Core 2019?
R-Right guys?
>>
CoCo reprint fucking when

surely they realize it's a modern staple
>>
>>59178870
Yeah, that is why they do not reprint it.
>>
>>59178621
Anything in the top 16 had a solid shot at first
>>
>>59178678
>Amulet is good again
Fuck yeah

>>59178784
>>59178870
NEVER EVER
>>
>>59178870
Wizards doesn't know what is going on.
OR
Wizards knows mostly everything going on and don't do anything about it.

You can take your disappointment from either source because either way you're not getting cheaper cards (or what you want or what would be considered reasonable or fair). Get with it man, this is exactly the line of thinking that should guide you any moment you perceive some degree of unfairness or anger. Wizards is like a retarded dog. Eventually it's going to shit on the floor or destroy property but it's never going to fetch you your slippers.
>>
>>59178746
>Wizards unbans a card
>It has no effect on the format
>"Heh, they must've gotten lucky"
>>
>>59178678
look at all that tron! clearly in need of a ban
>>
>>59178746
>>59179067
The worst part of this whole ordeal is Jace has had 4 separate printings l, sees fringe play as a 2 of, and is still $90
>>
>>59177535
F
Gone but not forgotten
>>
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/994198#paper
How did this deck get away with running 0 Blade Splicers?
>>
>>59178784
Those Tarns are gonna be sooo available, amirite?
>>
>>59174153
Because you only acknowledge 60 card magic
Im talking about limited not EDH
>>
>>59179735
Slicers are only really good in grind matches looks like crusaders did the job just fine
>>
>>59179735
This was about a week after the unban so it's probably tailored for Jund/Jace matchups
>>
>>59179839
>>59179925
I tried it but Crusader just felt super underwhelming, probably due to a lack of Jund at my local meta. On offense with Exalted the card can really be a beating but it's pretty lackluster on the defense.
I'm trying to tune my GW taxes for GP Vegas but after seeing the top decks at Hartford I'm starting to think I'm going to be facing a bunch of Bogles/Affinity/Humans and a lot less Jund
>>
>>59179164
One if these was in FTV and another two in Masters sets, that hardly affects prices.
>>
>>59180046
Crusaders should be good against Bogles. Against humans, D&T needs to get a bit more creative. If you expect a lot of humans and therefore your Thalias will all come out g2 and g3, you can try some spicy shit like Beloved Chaplain.
>>
>>59176077
I've always wanted Grapeshot to be banned so Ponder and/or Preordain could be taken off the banlist with minimal bitching. Not like anybody's gonna miss Storm
>>
>>59181099
Go away, WotC.
>>
>>59181099
As a burnfag, I'd miss storm
those games are ez pz
But srsly, I'd rather see a chalice ban over storm any day
>>
>>59181196
I do really dislike chalice's effect being on a colorless card.
>>
>>59180916
Against humans I bring in 2 wraths, an EE and 2 Dismember to baically play the control game
>>
>>59181196
Chalice is bullshit in Modern and Legacy, but downright oppressive in Vintage. It should probably go away.

Storm definitely needs to go away.
>>
>>59181288
Sure, but he wanted creatures.
>>
File: rat_colony.jpg (32 KB, 255x361)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Pack rat madness discard with this as cheap fuel? Relentless rats have been too expensive for that purpose but this seems to fit perfectly as chaffe to fuel pack rat's power.
>>
>>59175201
When they printed Mox Diamond in From the Vault the price of the Stronghold one didn't change at all.
>>
Steel Leaf Champion seems like it's going to make mono green devotion pretty decent
>>
>>59176354
>The game would turn to shit in a matter of seconds.
You mean to a masterpiece.
>>
>>59181899
When MTG bites the bullet they should have a Farewell set composed of every $50+ card with no rarity differences.
I'd love to see the meltdown
>>
Why was the Reserved List created?
>>
So lads, I have never played MtG before and got into closed beta probably like many of you. However, I dont think it explains the game all that well and Id rather not bust my wallet.

Is it actually worth playing as a beginner and without previous collection?
>>
File: 6ee.jpg (40 KB, 491x491)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>59182142
>>
>>59182185
If you want to try paper MTG unitonically grab one of those Standard Challenger decks and go from there. If you find yourself liking the game you can get into modern further down the line
>>
>>59177535
F
>>
>>59181861
damping sphere is what actually will allow mono green devo to be a real thing in many tourneys. Tron keeps the deck in check.. That will no longer be the case.

Steel leaf is good but it is still iffy on if it will be the one to tip the scales. I can see it being the case if a deck with 8 of baloths comes to be but steel leaf strictly replacing baloth isnt whats going to make it tier 1. running a full playset of both... now I can see some shit. or even a 4/2 split champ/baloth... thats some real shit there

I am excited af for this honestly. The deck is fucking amazing and desu it doesnt necessarily "need" champ to gain some more presence. Damping sphere is what is going to help it more.
>>
>>59182403
mon green devo not stompy...

though still good points.
>>
I wanted to start playing magic and I was interested in playing modern but nobody at the open house was playing modern.

Should I try other LGSs or just try one of the formats they play there (standard and commander)?
>>
>>59182491
Modern is a format where the best decks are both known, and stupid expensive. If that sounds fun to you then by all means find a place to play. If not, commander is honestly your best bet.
>>
>>59182584
Do I have to pick a good deck or can I have "fun" with a shitty deck I make mysef?

I would probably like commander but I want to play mono black and I don't like any of them.

Unban Braids!
>>
>>59182740
It depends on the store dude
>>
>>59182142
>MtG ia dying because no one can get cards
>Wiz creates Chronicles, a reprint of staples (minus the most expensive like p9 and duals), so basically the original MM
>They print so much that 6 gorillion boxes are burned in the furnaces
>Collectors (ie the original MTGfinance) bitch about the value of their cardboard going down
>Wiz makes a knee-jerk reaction and creates the reserved list
At the time it was something of a necessary evil, as doing nothing genuinely threatened the death of the game, but the way it was handled is what makes it so bad
Of course NuWuz isn't much better with their Pseudo-reserved list, aka "We promise to never reprint these cards in a way that will affect their price or general availability"
>>
>>59178870
>waaaahhhh when will they reprint this 15 bucks card
Seriously? With all that's going on right now with Modern cards? Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>59182803
>Wiz creates Chronicles, a reprint of staples

Enough with this stupid myth. Chronicles was a huge set with a very, very limited number of playable cards. The only cards that made any impact were Erhnam Djinn, City of Brass and, to a lesser extent, Blood Moon. No Juzam, no Library, no Moat, no Mana Drain, no Abyss, no Nether Void, no Chain Lightning, no Candelabra, no Workshop. Chronicles was worse than any Master Set when it came to needed reprints.
>>
>>59182791
Cool thanks for the info.
>>
hey /mmg/
shocklands or fetchlands?
>>
>>59182491
Open House? Of course they wouldn't play shit. Buy a cheap Commander deck or a Challenger deck for 30 bucks, get to know what players actually play in 3 months and then decide what format you want to play.

When I asked my LGS the owner fucking lied to me through his teeth and told me they don't play Modern, because he doesn't make any money from Modern, and pushed me to play Commander pretty hard.

>>59183120
What do you mean? Both.
>>
>>59183168
well like which would you prefer if you only had one
in general
it's meant to be open ended
>>
>>59183120
If I could only have one, shocks since fetches main appeal is being able to grab duals and I dont play enough decks that care about the land going the graveyard.
>>
>>59172942
Why don't they just reprint Counterspell in modern?
>>
>>59183217
For what? You need to be specific.
>>59183283
It depends on the deck, you might want to have fetches in the graveyard for some stuff even if you don't need shoks in the deck. Or to be able to shuffle your deck.

If you're going to buy either later, at this moment I'd buy fetches since those can only go up. Even if they reprint them they won't go down a lot, Scalding Tarn and Verdant Catacombs won't ever be the same of Windswept Heath.
>>
so i bought a fake snapcaster on ebay. the card feels fake as fuck and the differences stand out when put against my other snapcasters. anyone know if i have to pay to ship this fucking thing back? do i need to shell out for tracking to prevent this fucker from claiming he never got it?
>>
>>59183485
If you open a case, you'll get a shipping label to print out so you don't have to pay shipping. It's automatically tracked.
>>
File: 1523863525330.jpg (14 KB, 480x360)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>59183485
>ebay
>why did i get a fake card
ya played yourself
>>
>>59172942
Even though the announcement already happened I really think they should ban Cavern of Souls. It's a degenerate and poorly designed card that goes in way too many decks.
>>
File: 1457562422010.jpg (43 KB, 363x320)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>59183641
>I really think
Your thoughts are stupid and you are a stupid head.
>>
>>59177125
This is the reason Tron should get hit (and should have gotten hit a long time ago)

First off, it's completely braindead. There are no decisions to the deck. If you play Tron you might as well just ask the opponent what deck they are playing and if they are playing midrange/control nonsense you ask them to scoop, if they are on any aggressive strategy whatsoever you scoop. It's too polarizing.
>>
>>59183750
>Tron is braindead
What if I play mono-U Tron?
>>
>>59183903
Then you're just dead
>>
>>59183430
Too overpowered. The modern GP at the weekend already had far too much blue in the top 8.
>>
>>59183993
Comedy gold
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.44 MB, 2814x2406)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>59183993
BLUEFAGS WW@
>>
>>59183993
There really is no reason Counterspell isn't in Modern. Logic Knot is basically Counterspell most of the time and that card fucking sucks.
>>
File: 2016-08-22 18.22.33.png (26 KB, 238x231)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>59184312
>1 jace
>1 snapcaster
>radiant fountain
>>
>>59184442
don't talk shit about radiant fountain, it's subjectively better than the scry land. the lil sip of water saves lived

You'd run more Snappy/Jace? Explain why; I find you get more milage out of them as singletons.
>>
>>59184656
as an aside, the only other utility land in that slot over fountain is arguably geier reach but I'm not a fan of it, so it's either scry land/storage land/shitmoth or maybe field of ruin.
I can't imagine FoR being a good use of your mana in the matchup you'd want it, Inkmoth sucks, Storage Land is slow, and while the scry is dope it's not even out yet and thus lifegain fountain has been stellar.
>>
I've been playing deck related for like, 2 years now. Any changes I should make?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/devotion-rdw-1/?cb=1523916480
Also, I'm retarded and didn't separate my sideboard from my main, sorry
>>
File: 51a.jpg (394 KB, 625x1321)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
Is there a greatest love story for science than Delver's story?
>>
File: 1495834975870.gif (690 KB, 510x510)
690 KB
690 KB GIF
>MFW putting a shit ton of banned cards in all my modern decks because the guys i always play with play Legacy and Vintage decks
Artifact Lands in mah Affinity deck,
A full set of Cloudpost and Glimmerpost in mah tron deck, because fuck you.
>>
>>59183641
I agree

It restricts play and literally butt fucks blue which is already neutered to hell. Cavern of souls ban would be really good for the format.
>>
>>59185047
Well you should watch goat magic on youtube from goldfish

And theres another channel that plays old decks vs new ones.

After watching these games those decks actually just seem normal

The power creep is real and i predict at least within 3-5 years wel see alot of unbans due to wotc’s lack of creativity, laziness and the inevitable power creep phenomena

Inb4 wotc wont last that long

Well if they do last that long
>>
>>59184913
This is the greatest success from wotc in the lest two years.
>>
>>59184432
because it has to go through standard or wizads need to make a new rule with something stupid like " this masters set is now also legal in modern"
>>
>>59185314
>TFW no Mythic Rare version
Feels bad, man
>>
>>59172942
Playing: In the past month I've run Infect, Burn, Affinity, and BW Tokens Featuring Triskaidekaphobia. No clue what I'm doing next week.
Hating: My meta is rife with Ponza and that one guy that decided Ponza is to low key and made Wildfire/Destructive Force. Picked up a playset of Sacred Ground.
Brewing: Suggestions? I have access to a set of BBE and a set of JtMS.
>>
>>59185345
How do you improve Docent of Perfection? He's literally perfect.
>>
>>59185345
And there probably wont be bc eldrazi insect would need to be the next creature type and we arent going back to innistrad or see any eldrazi for a fuck long time
>>
>>59185402
i dont think thats delver in the card. hes there in the background for both cards, but im pretty sure the actual creature is the dude in the cage, who becomes his protege
>>
>>59185426
Delver is a creation of the eldrazi one

Notice delver is a human wizard and the eldrazi one creates wizards

Or delver is the OG which is the likliest scenario

I dont see delver in the researcher where he at??

Also its odd researcher has hands and delver has mantis spikes
>>
>>59185477
>>59185426
Also the flavor text hints that it is delver at multiple stages
>>
>>59185477
no im calling him delver as though thats his name. creatures 1-4 are the same guy, 5 and 6 hes in the background, with the actual creature being the slave
>>
>>59185510
Maybe im too high but im not following...

The creature type is insect so how cant it be the guy in the cage?
>>
>Scapeshift is $54
What
>>
>>59185510
In 5-6, the slaves are the 1/1 wizard tokens. Delver is the 5/4 to 6/5 creature. He ended up as an Eldrazi Insect that experiment on kidnapped wizards.
>>
>>59185573
Oh yea for sure

I see what youre saying

Yea the dude in the cage is a token
>>
Lets get a discussion on brewing mono green stompy

I am very close to adding in
4x GW fetches
And 2x horizon canopies

For deck thinning and some draw

What do you boys think?
>>
>>59177535
F
>>
>>59183033
More like how Master set are now, right??
>>
>>59185640
yes to horizon canopy, I would even go for 4 of them. Being able to ditch lands when you have enough is great. Honestly the thinning from fetches is so minor that I would not play those unless you want lands in the gy for some reason.
>>
>>59185766
Fuck yea

I think stompy has serious serious potential
>>
>>59173046
Hey come on dude, its far from the worst we've seen in any mtg generals. And coming from 40k general, this picture aint half bad.
>>
File: 2016-07-10 06.45.06.jpg (17 KB, 250x222)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>practice mtg against the computer on xmage to prepare for prerelease
>the computer bolts himself
i swear to god this thing is just taking a list of possible legal moves and picking one at random
>>
>>59185967
>getting xmage to work
black magic
>>
>>59185967
Just go play againnt people my dude
>>
>>59175068
It was backlash you stupid faggot. If you're too new and under aged to know or google then don't speculate. They reprinted RL shit as special promos and the community fucking spit roasted the shit out of them, so they doubled down even harder on RL. Blame faggots and elitists from 15 years ago.
>>
Waste not is legitimately the best sideboard card against hollow one.
>>
>>59177006
>Humans
>Affinity
>cancerous
>no mention of Dredge or Storm or Tron

Kys
>>
>>59186883
Cancerous Three:
- Hollow One
- Storm
- Splinter Twin
>>
>>59186919
>>59186883
No the cancerous decks are the ones I don’t like xddddd
>>
>>59186932
Explain how humans of all things is more cancerous than solitaire or hollow one
>>
>>59186994
Cause it is le ebin aggro deck that I don’t like xddd
>>
Why the fuck is everyone using the GP results as an excuse to shit on Storm??? We have nothing to do with this. Most recent data puts Storm's winrate at GPs at 40%, and the deck hasn't Top 8'd a GP in a very very long time. Why are you throwing us under the bus for no reason?
>>
>>59187132
Shut up pussy bitch, enjoy the gifts ban you fucking nazi
>>
>>59187132
Always use the highest level of play to analyze decks, otherwise you're including shitters who cant play the deck into account.
>>
File: ffvadfasdf.jpg (10 KB, 188x268)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
any other high iq dredge players in this thread?
>>
>>59187488
>dredge
>high iq
Kek
>>
>>59187564
Maybe he's talking about legacy dredge and is confused.
>>
>>59187564
dredge is the most interactive deck in the format and it plays more like control than the blue retards who sit there piling mana with a hand full of counterspells.
>>
>>59187588
>dredge plays like control
Nigga.......
>>
>>59187588
You're so funny
>>
>>59184656
/sip/
>>
I have 8-rack and lantern control.
Will Grishoalbrand perfect the unholy trinity of asshole decks?
>>
>>59188040
I don't understand Grishoalbrand. The deck seems like it bricks more often than it wins from what I see in tournaments.
>>
>>59177535
F
>>
>>59188199
It does.
It's a terrible deck.
But once out of every 4 or 5 times it goes off on turn 2 or 3, sometimes it even can happen on turn 1.

Nothing's dumber than killing them on the stack of one of their cast bombs on the stack.

What a great fun deck, can't wait to drop $1,200 on this.
>>
>>59188040
It's kind of a dick deck because you make your opp wait 5 minutes for you to try and assemble what you need, with the very real chance that you fizzle and lose
>>
>>59188566
the combo is literally 'put griselbrand onto the battlefield somehow'. if griz lands, you're 95% to lose. i think you've been playing against incompetent pilots.
>>
>>59188636
Not even close, 7 cards is not enough to win 95% of the time and a good percentage of the time you can't draw 14.
>>
>>59187488
I'm pretty low iq
I don't know how to properly stop dredging and start looking for my sideboard cards. I lose every single game 2 and 3.
>>
Opinions on finishers for mono black control? I've experimented with Abyssal Persecutor and Korlash, Heir to Blackblade. Both have been decent with the latter's regeneration occasionally being useful. Otherwise I have Bloodghasts as a recurring threat who I don't mind hitting with Damnation/Black Sun's Zenith and Sorin Markov who is actually a surprisingly decent planeswalker if you can drag the game into the later turns.
>>
>>59189053
>Opinions on finishers for mono black control?
pack rat
>>
Brainstorm>ponder
>>
>>59189200
no shit
>>
File: 147792425843.jpg (47 KB, 722x349)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Another event with ponza, another 0-3 then bye.

Why do people play this deck? It's utter shit. Last 4 times I've played it have been 1-3 or 0-4, and the one win would be because of lucky blood moons.
>>
>>59189217
because no other deck plays stone rain
maybe you should watch some pro level play and adjust your deck/sb to the needs of your meta instead of being a little bitch
>>
>>59189217

Would Ponza without blood moons be fun for a pretty casual FNM? I'm not paying for those blood moons just to make a meme deck.
>>
>chandra in the $30 challenger deck
>she's still $18
>hazoret, in the same deck, is $14
what the fuck
>>
I bought an old card and I noticed that it's markedly thicker than the cards from IMA/MM.

What's going on here?
>>
>>59189417
don't play coy you little fucking shit, you know damn well how shitty card stock has been
go feel your older cards
>>
File: 74100-hr.jpg (166 KB, 745x1040)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>59188040
imo it's less obnoxious than other solitaire decks. if you want to be rude i suggest some combination of chalice and blood moon. though i can always back someone getting into a griselbrand deck.

>>59188566
i think around half the time i end up on the wurm plan which almost always ends the game decisively
the other half of the time even if you spend a couple minutes figuring out how to go off with gristle you'll probably still finish your round early.

>>59188417
>$1,200
are you getting expeditions and invocations or something?

>>59189053
how about liliana last hope ult or ob nixilis ult?
>>
>>59189382
>It's cheaper to buy the challenger deck than buying the cards individually
That reminds me of one of the New Phyrexia Event deck that was $24 and had a Green Sun's Zenith and a blinkmoth Nexus in the deck.
>>
>>59173921
Underrated post.
>>
>>59189382
>getting the red deck for $30
Haha yea try to do that.
>>
>>59190068
walmart is selling them for $32, you don't always have to go to the fucking scalpers
>>
>>59190068
i can go to my lgs tomorrow morning and do that. there's four of them on the case next to the first register along with a couple each of the others at $30 for red and $24 for the rest.
>>
>2-2 with 4c Shadow
Anyone else king of the losers?
>>
>>59189675
You are aware that Grishoalbrand runs rakdos fastlands, engineered explosives sb, a playset of breach, and a playset of goryo's, and fetches?
>>
File: Mesmeric Orb.jpg (123 KB, 464x664)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
Would this be good in Dredge?
>>
>>59190251
No.
>>
>go to LGS and watch a bit of a modern tournament because I didn't have enough time to play out the whole thing
>it's just a hundred variants of un-interactive meme decks

How do we save modern? Counterspell reprint? Force of Will? Some unbans?
>>
File: Mana Drain.jpg (29 KB, 223x310)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>59190408
>
>>
>>59190408
>unban Splinter Twin
>actually force modern decks to have some amount of interactions
>>
>>59190408
Fuck off nobody wants yor fucking interaction here, go play your stupid overcosted removal on standard faggot
>>
>>59190408
does interaction mean counterspell and only counterspell? how would that be any better than what we have now?
>>
Oath of Nissa in bant eldrazi has been really good. Acts as an extra stirrings-lite most of the time
>>
>>59190180
jeez i keep forgetting everything doubled in price in the past year
honestly though i think a single cliffs is fine and i don't really miss engineered explosives.
also run geier reach sanitarium

>>59190408
this>>59190496
make combo great again and force people to play interaction or get dunked on. unban combo, reprint therapy and counterspell
>>
>Playing
Modern Jund (finally) and Brawl

>Hating
Blue

>Brewing
A Jund ramp Brawl deck
>>
>>59190622
why not just play fucking commander
>>
>>59190636

Because everyone that plays actual Commander is a mouth-breathing faggot
>>
>>59190660
99% of the people who play this game are mouth-breathing faggots, regardless of format.
>>
>>59190677

I'm not even going to argue with that, everyone at my LGS built a Brawl deck for shits and gigs and we've ended up playing at the store until 5 AM every Friday and it's a good enough time, less sweaty than us jamming modern
>>
>>59190660
You just described the entire MTG playerbase
>>
File: It's canon.webm (2.08 MB, 1212x540)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB WEBM
>>59190677
Um, I'll have you know that I'm a deep throating faggot.
>>
>>59190636
because Brawl is more accessible for everyone and has far less bullshit mechanics. i know you spent a billion dollars on your fedoralord commander deck but you're gonna have to put it back into your cargo shorts, pull up your socks, strap your sandals and buy into Brawl if you want to play.
>>
>>59190723

Essentially this, I hate watching someone pull off their EDH combo for 10 minutes, Brawl games at least don't take very long and have much less bullshit going on with them
>>
>>59190723
>Taking a shit format like edh, but removing all that makes edh actually bearable to play and replacing it with standard shit level of cards because it hurts your fefees
This level of butthurt over a game has reached an autistic ton of stupidity.
>>
>>59190408

If you want interaction, go play legacy
If you want linear memeplay or sideboard boogaloos, go play modern.
If you want expensive kitchen table magic, go play standard.
If you want a mix of all three, go play edh.
>>
>>59190723
actually I have just a few $50 commander decks, that are far more fun to play than your shitty rotating ones
>>
I don't know why commander players don't just have a card price limit for decks. Like an LGS rule where the max price of any card in a deck is limited to $30 or something.
>>
>>59191229

If they do that the fedoras won't come there to play
>>
>>59174993
This always strikes me as odd because they can sell booster packs which are randomized and as a result the very definition of a gamble?
>>
>>59191229
>You can't play the deck you have spent your money towards acquiring because other people refuse or are unable to spend money
That seems like a hard sell, my friend.
>>
>>59191324
>>59191394
They can just make some substitutes. Everyone avoids the guy with the T1 deck at my LGS, so it seems like it was a waste of money on his part.
>>
>>59191229
From experience the best way to do it is to just call anyone who brings cEDH cancer to the table a faggot and don't play with them until they build something that's appropriate to the power level of the group or they give up and switch to a real competitive format.
>>
>>59174993
>>59191379

It's actually not laws related to gambling, I mean it is loosely and at the same time it isn't. If WotC sold individual cards directly and at varying prices and were able to adjust the prices and rates of their cards accordingly they couldn't be classified as a toy company and would actually have to be classed as a commodities and/or financial institution.
>>
>>59191603
No, that is also fucking retarded. They're selling cards anyways, it doesn't matter if they're randomized or not. They sell decks already.
>>
What's the best 'good boy' deck?
>>
>>59191785
I'm not sure what the fuck you mean by that.
>>
>>59190754
How do you play Modern when you're this much of a casual
>>
>>59172942
>Playing
Jund
>Hating
Tron/Bogles
>Brewing
WB Angel Stompy feat heartless summoning
>>
File: 1461670491439.png (18 KB, 509x411)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>tfw storm is already bad and damping sphere is about to be released to the wild
>>
>>59192279
It's a good time to play storm if everyone hops on the bogles train. Especially since it hasn't put up results recently so people will skimp on hate
>>
>>59192337
literally everyone is going to pack 4 damping orbs in the SB at all times because why would you not
>>
>>59190408
>>59190479
>>59190557
>does interaction mean counterspell and only counterspell?
Yes, because the faggots who are whining are bluecucks
>>
>>59192337
I started playing storm a few months ago and I'm realizing I inherited a whole generation of hate

The deck could be solidly tier 3 and people would still run targeted hate for it.

also
>it's a good time to play storm if everyone hops on the bogles train
with their 4 mainboard Leylines? anon?
>>
File: questioning.png (1.25 MB, 833x884)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
New to Magic. Want to go to a prerelease this weekend. Do I have to pre register or something or can I just show up?

Also are people gonna laugh at me if I use Pokemon themed sleeves? That's all I have.
>>
>>59192414
Go to the prerelease! My first event was a prerelease and they're super chill and casual.

You don't have to preregister; they should let you pay at the door. I would check, though, if the store you're going to is holding multiple prereleases, and which one you'd like to go to. The midnight prerelease is more likely to be more competitive, so you might want to look for one on Saturday morning or something.

>Pokemon sleeves
Plenty of established Magic players do that just to be ironic already, so you won't stand out, no
>>
>>59191535
>anyone who brings cEDH cancer to the table a faggot
A guy had a competitive edh net deck he was handily beating our kitchen table friends with, bragging about how strong thebdeck was. So I just bought a $60 Zurgo Bellstriker 1v1 EDH deck and proceeded to completely murder him. Felt good man.
>>
>>59173767
I thought Eggs took that GP.
>>
>>59192478
a grill won the Sydney multiplayer gp with hollow one most recently
>>
Is KCI likely to get hit with a ban anytime soon? The deck looks fun as hell but the frequency at which I've seen it win turn 2 is a little alarming for the deck's future
>>
File: nervous_hissing.jpg (52 KB, 697x960)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>59192439
I was considering going to the midnight one but it's good to know it'd be more competitive. I'm not 100% new, but I haven't really played in person (just duels, Arena beta, watched videos), so I'm sure I'll screw some things up. I'll just go on Saturday afternoon then.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
whats a good deck that uses giest of saint traft and puresteel paladin?
>>
>>59191785
Jund?
>>
>>59190496
Splinter Twin is fucking retarded. If you're not auto-winning with infinite Exarch/Mite you're doing bullshit like doubling up on Snapcasters or Cliques and claiming it's balanced.

CoCo already goes infinite with Vizier and Druid and that doesn't force anyone to have removal at all times, ergo Splinter Twin is fucking broken and warping.
>>
>>59188722
The only people who win games 2-3 as Dredge are cheaters. Even galaxy brains lose Dredge post-sideboard.

>galaxy brain
>playing Dredge
>>
>>59178784
let me dream i can play a cardboard game competitively without breaking my fucking bank for a single DAMN CARD
>>
>>59182185
buy a red deck like every other 14 year old n00b
>>
>Goblin Guide is up to $100 for a playset
based WotC
>>
>>59192743
>mfw Burn players play GG over Vexing Devil

Y'all niggas are stupid!
>>
>>59192759
Vexing Devil is too fucking slow
I saw 1 (ONE) guy play it as a one-off in Burn at a PT and it cost him the fucking match.
>>
File: 1500077633126.jpg (99 KB, 861x1135)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>59192759
>Vexing devil
>ever
>>
>>59192690
found the brainlette who doesn't play interaction

>>59192743
It used to be $160 what's your fucking point?
>>
>>59192780
>too slow

It's 4 damage on turn 1. Don't tell me you let it live.
>>
>>59192839
>dies to literally any removal played in the format right now
>is absolutely fucking the worst draw later in the game
play some games with it you stupid faggot
>>
>>59192780
>b-but muh non-interactive meta

OH SO ALL OF A SUDDEN ALL YALL NIGGAS BE PLAYIN PUSH DECKS HUH
>>
>>59192839
>fatal push
>bolt
There's lots of reasons not to
>>
>>59192864
>later in the game
>burn
>later in the game

Don't worry about bad topdecks that you draw after you've already lost.
>>
>>59192866
Trading a card for their bolt or push is an amazing deal, idiot. Now they can't use it on your Goblin Guide.
>>
>>59192874
Your opponent isn't gonna pay the life late in the game you moron.
>>
>>59192874
Unless you get a nut hand, you need to topdeck a fucking spell that will do damage.
When I said "later in the game" I meant any draw after the first one.
Modern (and Burn in particular) is a fucking race, you need a spell that will do damage. Vexing Devil will ALWAYS give your opponent the optimal choice.

>>59192884
The faggot who originated this shitposting spree was talking about replacing Guides with Devils.
>>
>>59192910
>When I said "later in the game" I meant any draw after the first one.

Lol'd. BUT WHAT IF HE'S ON THE DRAW
>>
>>59192910
>shitposting spree

You're just mad I paid Replicate.
>>
>>59192884
>Trading a card for their bolt or push is an amazing deal, idiot. Now they can't use it on your Goblin Guide.
Actually against burn it's fucking amazing, it means that your one card negated an average of 3-4 damage. In burn ALL of your cards have to hit face, or the likeliness of you winning drops dramatically. The reason you play guide is because even a bolt/path/push on your opponents next turn still means that card did 2 damage to start(assuming the play).
>>
>>59192928
then you're at a significant disadvantage because they could just remove it before you do any damage with it
>>
>>59192957
I think he was dismissively imitating a Vexing-defender.
>>
>>59191643

It's retarded but it makes no difference the matter is there's a secondary value to the cards of MTG. The fact is that those cards are worth money, if WotC directly sold said cards that's an argument to be made in trading commodities and finance. Selling decks is different because they're selling those decks as is to be played as a game, selling singles individually is not. That's a key difference. The fact that MTG cards are worth money in a secondary market concern is why WotC cannot ever sell directly to players singles.
>>
>>59184913
>wizard becoming an insect
>using other wizards to clone them
looks like some Bloodborne lore
>>
>>59191455

>Everyone avoids the guy with the T1 deck at my LGS, so it seems like it was a waste of money on his part.

I'd say it is a waste of money on his part at making a T1 deck in a CASUAL format like EDH. What's he building his deck for? Practicing for that figurative competitive EDH GP or PTQ? Vintage/Legacy/Modern/Standard are all competitive formats so whatever works works but EDH is supposed to be for casual play.
>>
>>59185566
Go look up Mox Opal.
>>
>>59193241
Walmart isn't fucking trading commodities and finances when they sell shit that is worth money.
Selling individual cards are obviously supposed to be played with, they are literally used to play the fucking game. Even if they weren't used to play the game, it wouldn't matter.
WotC isn't selling singles because
1. They don't sell directly to individuals.
2. They wouldn't make more money selling singles even if they did sell directly to individuals.

Is my LGS trading commodities? No, they're selling fucking trading cards that happen to have fluctuating values (like every other thing ever sold). I'm tired of these hamfisted retarded arguments, stop posting.
>>
>>59193388

Mate you are getting upset and widely missing the point and going off on another tangent about something you clearly have zero knowledge of. I don't make the rules, there are rules and regulations for what the limits of a company classified as a toy company can and cannot do. WotC would have to reclassify themselves from a toy company to another type otherwise. Walmart isn't a fucking toy company so that analogy has absolutely no bearing on this. Bringing up what your LGS does is another matter and is unrelated to the reason why WotC cannot sell single cards individually direct.
>>
>>59193450
You're a fucking idiot, that much is clear.
They aren't selling futures, they're selling you a physical object that isn't redeemable by some authority for money. You can resell it, sure, but it isn't done on an exchange.
Go look up what a commodity actually is. A copy of Engineered Explosives is in no way equivalent to a ton of sugar cane or oil.
>>
File: 1502961789102.jpg (37 KB, 321x333)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>59193289
People tend to build cEDH decks because they're either too cowardly to try competing in a real competitive format and would rather just spike EDH nights, or their just too shit at the game to compete in real competitive formats. I've had a few run-ins with cEDHfags before, but this one that happened to me about a month ago really stuck with me
>finishing up modern FNM
>final round is against new guy at the store
>he makes some poor plays, truck him 2 games in a row
>he's visibly tilted, sweating, flicking his cards incessantly, refuses to look me in the eye
>afterwards he asks if I want to play some EDH
>sure, I got an hour to kill before going out with some friends
>he pulls out Sisay
>he combos out with Paradox Engine for infinite damage turn 4
>he's visibly shaking with anticipation and barely containing his shit-eating grin as he does it
>afterwards he remarks that his deck is $4,000 as though expecting me to congratulate him
>he never comes back to modern night again
>>
>>59193490
>giving him the rematch
You don't rematch salty keks, that way they don't have a chance to avenge their loss and stay bitter forevermore.
>>
>>59193484

Okay you clearly don't understand rules and regulations of what certain classed companies are allowed to do so I'll wager you've never had to deal with any legalities of this shit before.

>they're selling you a physical object that isn't redeemable by some authority for money.

This right here is a massive legal issue. If WotC starts selling singles direct they and they alone are who sets the prices on the cards. With Moxes and Power 9 cards in the thousands they could sell those cards and make massive amounts of money almost akin to printing their own currency. That right there actually has the potential of violating quite a few financial and trade laws. This is well beyond the means of a company that is CLASSIFIED AS A TOY COMPANY is legally allowed to do. MTG cards are already being readily exchanged for cash within vendors and other players. Makes no difference if there's a central banking authority or not.

>You can resell it, sure, but it isn't done on an exchange.

Please, don't be coy. There's a massive exchange for MTG cards. MTG secondary market is pretty much acting like a financial exchange and market as is. The MTG finance market is like the worst aspects of what a free market would be without some protections in place to prevent, thankfully all that is at stake is cardboard. In a real world market this would have disastrous ramifications.

>Go look up what a commodity actually is. A copy of Engineered Explosives is in no way equivalent to a ton of sugar cane or oil.

Yeah because the Engineered Explosives is actually worth more than a ton of Sugar Cane in the right market. Amusingly the weight and value of one metric ton of cards that were named Engineered Explosives has tremendously huge amount of value in the MTG secondary market. If I was a vendor i'd happily carry one metric ton of the card "Engineered Explosives" to a GP.
>>
>>59193490

>People tend to build cEDH decks because they're either too cowardly to try competing in a real competitive format and would rather just spike EDH nights, or their just too shit at the game to compete in real competitive formats.

This is what i've noticed as well. I once built an EDH deck within 2 hours going through a bulk rare/commons/uncommons box for a competition and beat someone who had a $5k EDH deck. Just played Rhys the Redeemed and smacked him in the face.
>>
>>59193584
I normally wouldn't have, but the event ended an hour earlier than I thought it was going to and I was still itching to play some more Magic.
>>
>>59191455
In my experience, people like that extract more fun and validation from feeling that "everyone is scared of facing my decks" than from actually playing and human interaction, so in their own mind, it is money well spent.
>>
>>59194369
i feel that way in my boxing ring. lemme kick that guys butt real quick
>>
>>59173815
Tell him what? TELL HIM WHAT? D:
>>
>>59194369

>In my experience, people like that extract more fun and validation from feeling that "everyone is scared of facing my decks" than from actually playing and human interaction, so in their own mind, it is money well spent.

That's just weird because you can evoke that same feeling in Vintage, Legacy and Modern by playing Dredge.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.