[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: shirne.jpg (1.53 MB, 2048x1365)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition General.

Unearthed Arcana: SWAT Domain
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_OrderDomain.pdf

>5e Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
Stable releases - https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Last Time on /5eg/
>>59172207

How do you make exploration and traveling interesting? Have you had any interesting experience from exploration/traveling?
>>
>How do you make exploration and traveling interesting?
Play up the fantastic nature of the world. The frozen north isn't just ice, it has pillars of blue ice that hurl lightning bolts, and rivers of freezing liquid fire.
>>
>>59178896

>rivers of freezing liquid fire

O-okay...?
>>
File: t-rex1-740x360.jpg (247 KB, 740x360)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>59178836
Random Encounters. They get a bad wrap, but I find that they can make for a fun game, as long as players know that they might be coming.
>>
>>59178896
And then on top of that, give the PCs something to look for. An objective other than defeat X or retrieve Y that's going to lead to reward H
>>
>>59178756
Interesting. It doesn't say if charm is the only way to get it to tell you its name, however. So getting the first free command from Summon Greater Demon might still work.
Isn't there a sage advice about this?
>>
>>59178896
The desert isn't just sand, it has sand that magically never rises above 70 during the day but drops far below freezing at nice.

>>59178953
I'm drawing inspiration from 3.5's location splats Frostburn, Stormwrack, and Sandstorm.
>>
Do you deal extra damage on doing a falling attack?

Like, you jump from a cliff then swing at someone below, does the damage increases?
>>
>>59178973
Don't knock too hard on simple quests. They are the bread and butter of the game. Useful when starting out, until a campaign gets a real plot rolling that the characters started themselves.
>>
>>59178997
I allow it. 1d6 for every 10ft to both the attacker and the creature being attacked, the attacker receives half the damage though since the attacked cushions the fall. I make one hidden roll for both
>>
>>59178997
I don't think there's a rule for that anywhete but rule of cool applies. 1d8/6 depending on the weapon/height extra.
>>
>>59178979
>Stormwrack
>>
>>59178979
Eyyy those are my favorite books for 3.5. I need to get the last one I have the other 2-3
>>
Anyone ever incorporate massive battles into their games?

Did you just leave it as a set-piece in the background as the heroes are doing something heroic, or did you play it out?
>>
>>59179073
>>59179072

Was thinking in the scenario that a vengeance paladin(ie) uses misty step up in the air on top of the enemy, then pierces the monster head with a spear while falling.
>>
>>59179132
They're all here
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%203rd%20Edition/D%26D%203.5e%20Core/
>>
Is there anyway to boost an Ability Check outside of advantage and the Guidance cantrip?
>>
>>59178997
Good question. I would allow it.
>>
>>59179171
bardic inspiration
>>
>>59179171
Enhance Ability
Skill Empowerment
Bardic Inspiration
>>
Gonna be playing a circle of the moon druid for the first time
what are some neat things I can do with wild shape?
>>
>>59179171
Bardic Inspiration, actual Inspiration, Enhance Ability, the DM giving you a situational boost or lowered DC, allowing XGE tool use bonuses (the thieves' tools bonus to finding traps is bullshit, but the others are okay), using a Portent Die, Lucky, expertise, reliable talent....

oh, and the Help action.
>>
>>59179139
Sounds cool and he spellslot investment should be rewarded
>>
Why are dragons so underpowered this edition? They’re decent melee monsters and their breath weapons can hit hard, but they have no defenses to speak of and their characteristic Spellcasting is weak as fuck even if you use the optional rule. And yes, I can just make them spellcasters, but why did they make them so weak?
>>
>>59179193
Never die.

Oh, if you dip Paladin, you can smite while you are a bear. That's pretty neat.
>>
>>59179273
This guy needs to remember that dragons can fly, and are smart enough just to fly by and breath fire rather than land and get hit a billion times by the fighter.
>>
>>59179273
if you think they are bad, don't look at the Tarrasque.
>>
>>59179273
>No defences to speak of
>Legendary Resistance (3/Day)
Pick one.
>>
>>59179335
plus elemental immunities
>>
>>59179159
I mean hard copies! I just need 1 more, I have sand storm, cityscape (if you count it) and stormwrack in hard copies
>>
Is battlemaster objectively better than the other PHB subclasses? What is the draw of EK? What bout the XGTE subclasses?
>>
>>59179371
Cityscape and Dungeonscape are each pretty good. Not as good as the other three environments, but pretty neat. You can see some early 4e design ideas for monsters in Dungeonscape.
>>
File: xorvintaal.png (2.11 MB, 1920x1080)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
>>59179273
Maybe you'd like to draw inspiration from 3.5's xorvintaal dragon template?

>>59179371
Ahh, okay. You want Frostburn and maybe Dungeonscape then.

>>59179394
>What is the draw of EK?
Shield, Absorb Elements, and Shadow Blade
>>
>>59179394
EK can be super tanky.
>>
>>59179394
>What is the draw of EK?
Magic
>Arcane Archer
Bow Magic
>>
>>59179273
My players went up against an adult black dragon inside an underground lake. It's up to you to make the encounter interesting and play with the dragon's kit. I for myself made it impossible for my players to run away by blocking every exit point but the lake. They had no option but fight, I also exploited their low passive perception and spend a lot of time hiding in the water and attacking at the best possible time, they would spend most of it freaking out about a giant ass dragon they couldn't see and that was about to attack them anytime.

They were a group of six 5th level players. They could totally ace that encounter but you, as a DM, have to make it interesting. Use the frightfull presence to make them feel despair and take advantage of it, if they are frightened,
>>
>>59179394
Power rankings:
Battlemaster > Eldritch Knight > Samurai > Cavalier > Champion > Arcane Archer
>>
>>59179193
Crocnado. Aasimar druid, Call Lightning, then Wildshape into a giant Croc. Turn on racial wings and fly through the heart of the storm.
>>
>>59179394
Battlemaster outclasses champion completely. EK still has the draw of magic, which makes them more durable and more useful out of combat. Battlemasters make better archers than arcane archers. Samurai are crap and the only fighter subclass they're better than is champion and maybe PDK, which is also crap. Cavaliers are probably the best dedicated true tank (in the MMO sense of aggro management and punishing enemies for attacking allies/protecting allies that get attacked) so they aren't really comparable to battlemaster since they do completely different things. Overall, battlemasters are overall probably still the best fighters.
>>
>>59179394
>Is battlemaster objectively
It is objectively better than champion. Probably better than EK too, but EK has different options in form of spells, which is redeeming.
>>
>>59179448
>arcane archer below champion
I mean, arcane archer sucks, don't get me wrong, but at least it has features.
>>
>>59179448

Is Samurai "considerably" better than Cavalier? I've been staring a hole into my copy of Xanathar's for a while now trying to just friggin pick one, but they both seem to be decent.
>>
new dm. when should i give my players their first magic item
>>
>>59179413
Oh i forgot dungeonscape! i have it too!
>>
>>59179394
EK is the tankiest fighter by a significant margin. You also have spells which while nowhere near as good as a normal spellcaster, still makes you not totally useless out of combat like the other fighters. Weapon bond also has the most fun/flavor/utility of basically any fighter feature.
>>
>>59179448
>>
>>59179448
>samurai better than cavalier
>champion better than anything
Fucking W R O N G
>>
File: 1453581338193.jpg (132 KB, 900x630)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Hey /tg/, I am porting my hexblade into a level 18 PVP one-shot that it sure to go horribly, but regardless, what do you think of this build? The goal is to go invisible, walk up and crit fish for a huge eldritch smite:

9 Warlock (Hexblade)
2 Fighter (GWF)
7 Barbarian (Bear Totem)

17 AC (Half Plate)
40 ft. Move Speed (from barbarian)
154 HP

Ghostly Gaze
-30ft see through walls
Relentless Hex
-bonus action 30 of hexed *teleports behind you*
Eldritch Smite
-spell slot to add 6d8 force damage, knock prone
Improved Pact Weapon
-+1 Greatsword
Eldritch Sight
-detect magic at will

13, 15, 14, 10, 10, 20

Half Elf
Elven Accuracy
Great Weapon Master
Charisma ASI

Action surge
Second wind

4 Rages (can’t cast, resistant to all damage except psychic, +2 damage)

Advantage on Initiative

Hexblade’s Curse
Accursed Specter

Warlock Spells
2 5th Level slots
Invisibility
Hex
Darkness
Misty Step
Counterspell
Dispel Magic
Blink
Hold Monster
Shield

2x Attacks:
(Triple Advantage)
(+6 and crit on 19 if Hexblade Cursed)
(+2 if raging, but can’t cast)

Normal, Non-raging
+12 to hit: 2d6+6, reroll <2

GWM, Non-raging
+7 to hit: 2d6+16, reroll <2

GWM, Raging, Hexblade Cursed, Eldritch Smite
+7 to hit, crit on 19: 2d6+6d8+24
>>
>>59179552
Elven accuracy doesn't work with STR attacks unless you're using the UA version
>>
>>59179552
fishing for crits to smite on will leave you dead. Hit as hard as you can as soon as you can, the longer the fight lasts, the more damage you take.
>>
How broken would it be if champions started with 18-20 crit range? It's still less than a 10% damage increase, not including other fighter features to close the gap.
>>
>>59179552

Keep in mind you can't concentrate on spells you've already cast while raging as well.
>>
>>59179505
Generally around level 5 party might have few uncommon magical items, some of which should probably be utility stuff with narrow use (ring of water breathing, immovable rod,...).

Word of advice: Try avoiding things that boost AC.
>>
>>59179601
Purely from math perspective... not at all.
>>
>>59179601
>How broken would it be
Only broken in the sense that champions would still be way weaker than other fighters. Crit range isn't a good feature unless you use it in a build that specifically critfishes. In that case, you'd need some system knowledge to make that work, which defeats the point of having a simple fighter subclass for beginners. Just use brute as a replacement.
>>
>>59179574
It works with CHA attacks which is why the character has to be a hexblade (replacing str with cha) for it to work
>>
File: monk-2.jpg (126 KB, 549x800)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
How can you make a Way of the Four Elements monk be good? It just seems rather poorly thought out and ill-balanced especially compared to Way of the Open Hand or Way of the Shadow.

Like the cost and powers are all over the place, you have two abilities that do the exact same thing, hit a target up to 30 feet away and drag or push them up to 25 feet while knocking them prone and doing 3d10 damage for 2 ki, only halfing the damage with a successful agility save.
While another ability is only 1ki to make a single burning punch up to 10 feet away, and another ki to inflict a measly extra 1d10, if your attack even hits.

Any homebrew make them better without being overpowered?
>>
>>59179654
Shit, I'm retarded. I saw GWM and just immediately assumed STR build.
>>
>>59179668
You don't.
>>
>>59179668
Here's someone's homebrew:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ttoyMfsaC7eFhVenpwZ0R4ZmM/view
>>
>>59179505
When you feel like it. The magic item economy is much more fluid than it was in 3rd or 4th editions, where the game broke if your items didn't have the right bonuses at the right character levels. Bounded accuracy means that magic item bonuses are not really a part of the encounter math. There are some monsters starting around CR 5 that are hard to kill without magic weapons, but the degree of magic isn't important. Even that +0 magic sword from Xanathar's Guide that does nothing but glow will more than suffice against the Tarrasque. You can even go a whole campaign with no magic items if you want to, or do the opposite and go full industrialized magic.
>>
>>59179653
>Just use brute as a replacement.
Isn't Brute little TOO good, though?
>>
File: hydra.png (797 KB, 900x667)
797 KB
797 KB PNG
>>59178957
>They get a bad wrap
I stopped doing that after a party with a grand total of zero survival skills headed un the notAmazon river.
Several dead gigantic snakes and dinosaurs later they were quite enjoying themselves.
Then I rolled a Hydra.
And they ran out of fire spells and flame based attacks.
>>
>>59179668
I was thinking that taking the Fire, Air, Ice, Water, and Wood/Earth Wu Jen disciplines, toning them down, and converting them to be usable with ki might be an interesting idea. No idea how well that would work, though.
>>
File: Necrofem.jpg (329 KB, 750x925)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
Is there a specific reason undead controller classes generally just don't exist in 5e? There's like three spells, basically nobody gets them, and actually using them nukes your spells available down to extremely low numbers.
>>
>>59179766
Not really. Brute is good but it probably isn't as good as battlemaster, which is still by no means gamebreaking.
>>
>>59179776
Animate Dead is great if you spend 1 slot a day on it. You can use Help Action on the whole party.
>>
>>59179776
Because even the amount of summoning/object animating available right now makes the game not fun
>>
>>59179394
Samurai can get ridiculous.
Take a level 20 elf with Elven accuracy and sharpshooter.
Give him a +3 bow
Get someone to haste him
Action surge and fighting spirit
Use rapid strikes
You're attacking 10 times, 9 of ehich have super advantage, for an average of 220 dsmage in a round.
>>
File: tomeofbeasts.png (1 MB, 713x929)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
Anyone know where to pirate the One Page Dungeon Contest compendiums?

Need to whip up a session for 3/5 players, and one-pagers are the coolest. The trove has failed me for the first time
>>
>>59179668
Monk really needs some looking at.
Kensei is functional well as good as I hit it with my sword gets at least
Drunken Master can be an annoying cunt by just walking up some enmey who tried to hide behind his minions.
Open Palm forces enemies to make lots of saving throws at least, and gets to Falcon Punch things at lvl 17..
Shadow is situational. Which is pretty terrible, really.
Four Elements is just a mess.

But who am i kidding, we're more likely to get espanded spell lists again.
>>
>>59180094
Where are Kensei and Drunken Master at? I must be illiterate since I only see the other three
>>
>>59180133
Xanathar's Guide to Everything, an expansion book
>>
>>59180094
Knife Asshole is the best one.
>>
how good is the elven accuracy feat with champion? I reckon the crit chance is absolutely through the roof
>>
>>59180219
Still not very good, since the good weapons for critting, maul and greatsword, are strength based. Unless you go hexblade and use charisma instead, in which case you're being That Guy for dipping hexblade.
>>
>>59180287
Could maybe mixing it with a bladesinger and then just dipping champion for the 19-20 and using shadow blade be better? On paper that sounds like it might be friggin nuts
>>
>>59178997
I'd allow the same damage boost your character takes in falling damage. If you're taking 2d6 falling damage you can also add 2d6 to a successful attack roll, but only one
>>
>>59180219
Elven accuracy is only good if you have a reliable source of getting an advantage. Do you?
>>
My GM wants to change twinned spell for my sorcerer to cost sorcery points equal to the flexible casting table (i.e., 2 points for 1st level, 3 for 2nd, etc).

Am I being dicked over here?
>>
>>59180391

It'd only be friggin nuts 10% of the time. Crit fishing rarely pays off.
>>
>>59180474
Yes
>>
>>59180391
As >>59180462 pointed out, you still need a reliable way of getting advantage. If someone in your party is willing to stay concentrated on faerie fire, that could be pretty good. Then again, you're still in melee as a wizard who would get extra attack at level 9 instead of 5. In whiteroom theorycrafting it could be good, but the amount of investment would make it not worth doing, especially when GWMPAM would require less class investment and be more reliable if you can't get advantage.
>>
File: 15962-1480-32330.png (254 KB, 549x515)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>59178896
>rivers of freezing liquid fire.
>>
>>59180474
>gimping sorcerer
for what purpose
>>
File: Spoiler Image (35 KB, 572x780)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>59180474
Is your GM me?
>>
How is the Arcane Archer from XGE? Should I play it?
>>
>>59180287
Why are Maul and Greatsword good for critting? Don't you roll just one additional d6? People here told me that you just roll one additional die, just like with barbarian's additional crits.
>>
>>59180562
its not amazing or anything but like most shit in 5e, even the poorer options are completely playable.
>>
File: dick-ass_thief.png (33 KB, 524x460)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
>>59180190
>Knife Asshole
You called?
>>
>>59180562
Bad. Don't.
>>
>>59180586
You roll double all damage dice on a crit.
>>
>>59180562
It's okay. See if your DM will let you have an amount of shots based on your INT modifier instead of just 2. That makes it a lot more fun because you have a bit more in terms of options.
>>
>>59180586
>People here told me that you just roll one additional die
Those people are retarded.
>When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack's damage against the target. Roll *all* of the attack's damage *dice* (plural) and add them together.
>>
>>59180634
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/982075519020576770

>If you’re like me and forget how damage is rolled on a critical hit in 5E, remember this: “All dice, roll twice. But leave the bonus alone-us.”
>>
>>59180634
Is it the same for the Brutal Critical? Because it specifies a single die.
>>
>>59180665
Brutal critical doesn't factor into doubling since the feature states you just add one die, so in the case of a 2d6 weapon it would just be 1d6 extra on top of the other dice.
>>
>>59180709
But for d10 you add a d10. That sounds like bullshit and badly written rules.
>>
File: 1507402998661.gif (1.13 MB, 255x255)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB GIF
>>59180729
Never said 5e was a perfect system. I'd rule it as you roll the full weapon damage again, but that isn't RAW.
>>
>>59180756
That sounds reasonable. What are the good ways to boost the critical chances? I've got nothing other than 3 lvls in Champion.
>>
Someone on reddit made this glorious, stupid monstrosity of a class. The exported PDF is too big to post.
https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L7MxaZV26WwHwzaP-eD
>>
Simple question: Do you like dungeons?
>>
>>59180783
Critical chance bonuses don't stack, I remember reading a sageadvice about that once. Getting advantage via reckless attack helps, but critting seems to be designed to be weak in 5e. I don't know if that was to avoid the critfishing nonsense that Magi could do in pf, or what. Critfishing builds can work, but they require extensive multiclassing and aren't as reliable as other damaging builds like GWMPAM and XBESS.
>>
File: mFqSE.jpg (183 KB, 899x905)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>59180790
I appreciate the amount of work that went into making a troll class, but jesus
>>
>>59180808
Yes, I like dungeon crawling wich usually involves getting inside dungeons
>>
>>59180839
Oh well. Battlemaster it is.
>>
So one of my players wants a simple pistol mostly for rollplay reasons, would giving him a simple matchlock that functions under the same rules as a heavy crossbow be a good idea?
>>
>>59180790
I... I really want to play a one shot with everyone using this class
>>
>>59180871
I forget the page but DMG has rules for firearms
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (624 KB, 779x563)
624 KB
624 KB PNG
>>59180871
Check the DMG page 268. There are already some recommendations for that
>>
>>59180808
Not really, no. They are often quite stupid.
>>
>>59180871
It's absurdly charitable to say you can reload a matchlock weapon every 6 seconds. Treat it more like a magic item, doing lots of damage dice, like a high-ish level spell for their level, but requiring a minute or more to reload with a significant chance of misfiring. And if the powder or match get wet, tough.
>>
File: Rihanna.jpg (52 KB, 790x395)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Going into Tier 2 with a Revised Ranger Beast Conclave, need to know if I'm fucking myself or not
>Wood Elf Archer
>Humanoids favored enemy
>Panther companion
>Cure Wounds, Hunter's Mark, Healing Spirit, and Spike Growth

Should I go with a more offensive spell instead of Spike Growth or Cure Wounds? Healing is kinda scarce in my group. I imagine I'll have the panther use the help action quite a bit. Hail of Thorns maybe?

On a side note, does anyone else think the Ranger illustration in the PHB looks just like Rihanna?
>>
>>59180969
>It's absurdly charitable to say you can reload a matchlock weapon every 6 seconds.
That's same for heavy crossbows, though.
>>
>>59180972
where's your goodberry lad
>>
>>59180991
is goodberry actually good?
im genuinely asking
>>
>>59181056
guaranteed food for 10 more lads
1 healing per berry
it's pretty solid, and saves your ass in deserts/snow when foraging from your ranger features is literally impossible
>>
>>59180990
Still, why even go there and introduce guns to a famously gun-free game if you're not going to make them functionally different from other things? It kind of takes the gravitas away from the whole affair.
>>
>>59180790
>>
>>59181056
It is one of those spells that makes whole subsystems of the game completely obsolete and makes whole adventure types pointlessly easy. That said, you kind of have to be in a certain kind of campaign for Goodberry to be anything more than a way to save spell slots on first aid. Usually your party will have a ranger, an outlander or two, or just a DM that doesn't keep track of food.
>>
>Jump from a cliff
>Mage teleports me up high
>As im falling again , mage teleports me again
>And again
>And again
>And again
>On his last avaible spell slot for this shit , he teleports me right on the side of the Big Bad
>Tfw hitting something at terminal speed with my glaive

How would you roll this damage(both on the player serving as projectile and the target)?
>>
>>59180562
It's pretty good, but its main thing is Recurving Arrows, NOT the Arcane Shots
>>
>>59181187
20d8 bludgeoning for the pc, 20d10 for the damage roll
>>
>>59181187
1d10+STR
>>
>>59181260
So funny mate
>>
>>59181187
Unless that cliff is over 400 ft. high you fall instantly.
>>
>>59181298
>>59181260
>No fun allowed

>>59181253
Lots of fun allowed, would let you DM
>>
>>59181369
>>No fun allowed
>40d10 damage dealt to you and the enemy is anti-fun
>>
>>59181369
I'm not letting you bend the rules for your stupid shit.
>>
I want some inspiration for worldbuilding. What fantasy series should I read first out of these:

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
Dying Earth
Malazan Book of the Fallen
The Book of the New Sun

???
>>
>>59180932
Yeah, I think it would be pretty interesting to mess around with for a bit.
>>
>>59181445
dune
>>
>>59181445
Dune.
Maybe the Belgariad for more traditional fantasy bidness.
>>
>>59181536
>>59181581
I've already read Dune
>>
>>59178836
what are the exact RAW for natural 20s on attacks and skill checks?
>>
>>59181589
Good.
Maybe read it again if it's been a while.
>>
>>59181607
For skill checks, a nat20 is just the upper limit of your ability
>>
>>59181445
terry Pratchett books
>>
>>59181589
You asked for books that could give inspiration without listing any you've already read. Not their fault for not knowing what you've already done.
>>59181607
Natural 20s on attacks are auto hits and critical hits. Natural 20s on skill checks just mean you roll a 20.
>>
>>59181172
>>59181078
>>59180991
>>59180972
I'm gonna drop Cure Wounds for Hail of Thorns. Healing Spirit should be enough. It's gonna take the form of a hummingbird, as it flits to everyone. Plus I want to see the Beacon of Hope combo.
>>
>>59181607
Attacks: Roll all damage dice twice.
Ability check: no special effect. You get a 20+mods for your roll
>>
>>59180709
>>59180729
It is intentionally written this way to encourage barbarians to use greataxes, since they don't have 3x critical like in 3.X
>>
>>59181635
I gave a list and said "which should I read out of these first?"
>>
>>59181672
Oh I misread and only saw "what should I read"
>>
>>59181672
You also added "???" to the end, which is usually a sign of an open list, ie one that people can add to.
>>
File: itsrihannanigga.png (1.39 MB, 790x857)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>
File: OOTS0121.jpg (51 KB, 232x200)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>59181657
It must be true in every edition.
>>
>>59180790
Do this in a game that doesn't use feats
>>
File: mein_nigger.jpg (27 KB, 446x336)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>59178979
>I'm drawing inspiration from 3.5's location splats Frostburn, Stormwrack, and Sandstorm.
>>
File: 1523901095935.gif (649 KB, 400x300)
649 KB
649 KB GIF
>>59181900
>it comes with its own feats
>>
>>59181657
Yes, because fuck variability. They could've done this via the proficiency rules.
>>
File: mercer and his guns.jpg (17 KB, 214x317)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>59181130
Times have changed. The Future is Now, Old Man.
>>
Where can I find a semi-official write up on Eladrin?

Our female Elandring player has the following racial features:

>+2 Dexterity
>+1 Intellect or Charisma
>Perception as a racial skill
>Misty Step once per day
>can cast Prestidigitation, Chill Touch, Friends as an action + also Firebolt as a bonus action
>is immune to Sleep and has resistance (?) to being Charmed
>has the Trance ability which means she can get the benefits of long rest after 4 hours only

Also, she seemed to have taken both Lucky and a Dexterity increasing ASI (she also wanted to get both of those while multiclassing at level 4 as well).

Note: she has over 1000 hours of D&D 5th edition played on Roll20.
>>
>>59182002
I want Mercer and Travis sexually.
>>
>>59182037
I think she's using the UA eladrin that was done a while back, those cantrips are swapped after every rest (or long rest? I can't recall.)
>>
File: barrierpeakscover.jpg (283 KB, 550x714)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>59181130
>famously gun-free game
Tales From the Yawning Portal 2, when? I want more classic adventures. Hell, Keep on the Borderlands is already half done due to dndnext playtesting.
>>
>>59182037
Just wait for the Mordekainen's.
>>
>>59180790
I don't know how to respond to this. A visceral disgust overtook me as I read through that.
>>
>>59182037
She's using this: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf
>>
>>59182037
This is the UA Eladrin:
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-Eladrin-Gith.pdf

The DMG is the same but without the cantrip.
>>
>>59182037
>can cast Prestidigitation, Chill Touch, Friends as an action + also Firebolt as a bonus action
that better not be a racial
>>
>>59182037
>Our female Elandring player
Okay, I hate to be that guy, but why did you specify? It didn't add or change anything, did you just want to trigger /pol/acks?
>>
File: Famine Spirit.png (140 KB, 464x1003)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
Can I have some feedback on this monster? I'm tweaking it a bit more. Want to upload it tonight. It's a monster from 3.0 monster manual II, google search Famine Spirit for a picture of it.
I want to keep its Create Spawn ability where humanoids killed by its bite rise as famine spirits, but a vorpal bite that severs heads kinda makes that stop making sense. Also I am pretty sure I got the CR right but I also adjusted abilities a bit so I'm not sure. I based it on the aura hitting everyone in the party each round. It also has truesight so that probably makes it pretty powerful.
>>
>>59182037
>Note: she has over 1000 hours of D&D 5th edition played on Roll20.
Hours mean jack shit on Roll20
>>
>>59182146
Yes that is a Eladrin racial.

>>59182181
Because you can't correct a femme-presenting player without getting the boot.
>>
>>59182189
vorpal bite needs like a plus 2 chance to hit
or maybe even minus 2 chance to hit
>>
>>59182037
>>59182278
yeah mine are super weirdly inflated for no reason. I don't know what metric it determines it by but it's certainly not a good one.
>>
File: 1519001997850.jpg (10 KB, 363x647)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>best friend wants to try something different
>chronically plays chaotic neutral LOLSORANDUM characters in very casual games and settings
>insists we play 5e
>makes a half-orc sorcerer pirate
>DM shepherds him through the plot like escorting a drunk man out of a bar

I want to noose myself.
>>
>>59182312
>half-orc sorcerer pirate
That sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>59182189
It's CR is high? Maybe boost it by one because of the insta-kill vorpal, but 1-dot doesn't seem to think it is CR 14.

Did you increase the effective HP due to the immunity and resistance? Those damage types are pretty rare.

http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/quick-monster-stats.html
Challenge Rating: 12
Proficiency Bonus: +4
Armor Class: 18
Average Hit Points: 302
Attack Bonus: +8
Average Damage Per Round: 50
Save DC: 17
>>
>>59182189
I dont know what your party is like but maybe make the agony bit an AoE attack like a wail, and the aura is an aura that causes exhaustion to follow along the famine route.
>>
>>59182146
>>59182286
The bonus action firebolt isn't
>>
I'm thinking of making Half-Elves sterile in my setting. Are there any precedents for this?
>>
>>59182189
>>59182408
Another problem that might mess up the CR math: Failing the aura of agony doesn't just deal damage, it also incapacitates. Which is really strong.

But you get to be immune if you save once, so it should be good as long as the whole party doesn't fail multiple times in a row.
>>
File: Juancito.jpg (536 KB, 1486x1245)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
>>59182473
Sure, but you better have a psychic half-elf villain in your game about socio-economic forces.
>>
>>59182473
>Charisma bonus means everyone want to fuck them
>But they are sterile
Witchers, you made witchers.
>>
File: 1483981293918s.jpg (8 KB, 178x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>59182312
maaan i hate hearing shit like that
as someone currently playing a CN character. I apologize for that dipshit thinking he's funny.
I'm a tempest cleric so i should just be evil, right? but I don't feel evil, I try to talk first, being a cleric
I heal people and give out buffs for days, but serving Talos and Umberlee though, you can't exactly be considered good.
And I want to start using Animate Dead, so who knows how that'll work out
I don't like authority either, especially not the laws of the tall folk.
The neutrality aids in peacefully ending a conflict. But that could just be a ruse and I thunderwave all those motherfuckers.
Chaotic Neutral just feels right.
>>
>>59182037
Why are you letting someone play a non-core book race without knowing exactly what the race does?
>>
File: 1451246746317.gif (1.63 MB, 360x270)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB GIF
>DM is gonna start Tomb of Annihilation soon
>He explains the hardcore mode to use with a tone that makes it clear he doesn't think we will go for it
>Me and the players want to do it

So, what are the best ways to cheat/prevent death for the whole party?
>>
>>59182679
I'm not the DM.
>>
>>59182744
Having a back line cleric who is fully prepared to waste all slots on yoyo-ing people
>>
>>59182744
Isn't there only like one fight that is super hard? And then there's only one save or die trap?
>>
>It's a Warlock starts talking suspicously in the corner with his patron session

Yes, because an ancient fey lady is very interested to hear about how our trip to the haunted swamp went.
>>
File: ciri in armor.jpg (140 KB, 678x1022)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>59182558
>you made witchers
there are bits of me that agree
>>
>>59182774
One of the first things you can encounter in the wilds has traps that deal 4d8 and 4d10 damage if you can’t figure out how to avoid them
>>
>>59182744
Cleric of the Grave
Lucky
Diviner
Halfling with Bountiful Luck to catch those nat 1 death saves.
Half-Orcs
Zealots

Make sure to have good ACs, and at least a 14 in Con.
>>
What do you guys think about this?

>Yuan-Ti
>Paladin of Ancients

Is it a good idea? Does the magic resistance stakc?
>>
>>59182779
Actually she probably is. Swamp would be quite the place for the fey to occupy
>>
>>59181130
I already said it as for rollplay purposes, in functionality it’s just a crossbow
>>
>>59182829
Oh right I forgot you also needed to hire guides, right?
>>
>>59182841
"Multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability that affect the same damage type count as only one instance. For example, if a creature has resistance to fire damage as well as resistance to all nonmagical damage, the damage of a nonmagical fire is reduced by half against the creature, not reduced by three-quarters."
>>
File: 1473888507062.png (2.12 MB, 1083x1156)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB PNG
>>59182841
Resistance doesn't stack.

Page 197 of the PHB:

Multiple instances of resistance or vulnerability that affect the same damage type count as only one instance. For example, if a creature has resistance to fire damage as well as resistance to all nonmagical damage, the damage of nonmagical fire is reduced by half against the creature, not reduced by three-quarters.
>>
>>59182841

If I recall, Ancients Paladin gives you Resistance to spell damage, and Yuan-Ti gives you Advantage on saves vs. spells and magical effects, so it should be fine. Playing Yuan-ti is dumb, though.
>>
>>59182841
>Yuan-Ti
>Paladin of Ancients
How would Yuan-ti became paladin? Their emotionless society also doesn't get along with jolly Oath of Ancients.
>>
>>59182868
>>59182871
>Magic Resistance: You have an advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

>Aura of Warding: Beginning at 7th level, ancient magic lies so heavily upon you that it forms an eldritch ward. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells. At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

One is resistance to damage, the other just gives advantage on saving throws.
>>
>>59178836
>How do you make exploration and traveling interesting? Have you had any interesting experience from exploration/traveling?
Throw in another traveller on the road who's more familiar with the area. It gives you a chance to throw in some exposition and potential dungeon crawls.

"Back in the days that the <Roman analogue> occupied this area, they dotted the countryside in shrines to their foreign gods, and small holdfasts. They're all ruined now. Some folks, either brave or stupid, go off into the wilderness on rumours of a tower on a hill, or a half sunken ruin in the swamps. Some come back with their hats and shoes filled with gold. Most don't return. We occasionally hear about screams coming from one ruin or another."
>>
>>59182913
No one in our party/group knows or cares about this stuff. I gave up on being RP/lore consistent a month ago.
>>
>>59182913
I can see why Charismatic snek people would go towards pally, and it being a jungle God rather than a God of light could work
>>
>>59182919
well then explain what you mean instead
and yes, in that case it'd probably be passing a save with advantage for half, and then halving it due to damage resistance
>>
>>59182957
And then half it again if you somehow nabbed Absorb Elements
>>
Help me decide, /5eg/. I'm rolling a bladesinger, but I don't know if I should dip into Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knigget. Both fit the character theme (proud, overconfident, brash, haughty elf) but I don't know which would be more fun. What would you do?
>>
Can an ape animal companion understand common? Can it roll insight to see if someone is lying, maybe just through body language?
>>
>>59182604

>serving Talos and Umberlee though, you can't exactly be considered good

Isn't there a fluff piece somewhere that explains that your alignment doesn't HAVE to match that of the deity you worship?

A Lawful Good cleric of Malar would still be super weird, but a CN cleric of Talos should be reasonable.
>>
>>59182999
>Both fit the character theme (proud, overconfident, brash, haughty elf)
An Elf being an Elf isn't really a "theme"
>>
>>59182991
wrong
ancients resistance aura and absorb elements are 2 different sources of resistance, so they can't stack
>>
>>59182999
Frankly, you shouldn't dip away from Bladesinger
>>
>>59183011
Mechanically, you have to be within one alignment step of your god to worship it.
>>
>>59183028
You're entirely correct, I misremembered the exact wording of the spell
>>
One of my players is trying to pose as a human with Disguise Self, but he's a seven-foot-tall praying mantis with four arms. I don't think this is going to work? I guess I could let him have an Invader Zim situation for giggles.
>>
>>59183043
I can't think of a damned thing that would delight a chaotic evil God more than a Lawful good worshipper
>>
>>59183027
The guy was supposed to be the next holder of the family moonblade, but the blade rejected him because he was too chaotic. So he is proud, but also looking to prove himself and find himself a more chaotic moonblade.

His personality wil develop more as I play.
>>
>>59183086
Fucking Druids man, no sense of right or wrong
>>
>>59183038
He's going to be in melee. He needs more hp or cunning action to survive there.
>>
>>59183086
If he took two levels of warlock he could just spam disguise self constantly.
>>
>>59179394
>19 AC base with 24 AC twice a day at level 3
Fucking
Invincible
>>
>>59183086
It worked for Edgar
>>
>>59183125
>>59183086
Oh sorry I wasnt reading right. Anyway Firbolg have a disguise self that lets them appear 3 foot shorter.
>>
>>59183135
What's so special about that?
>>
>>59183043

Got a page number/quote for that? AFAIK that's only a rule in previous editions.
>>
>>59183125
That's exactly what he did.
>>59183141
Jesus Christ, I hope he doesn't remember that. I know he's seen that movie.
>>
>>59183135
>19 AC base
How? I'm planning to go dex.
>>
How would you build a College of Swords Goblin Bard? I want to take advantage of that bonus action disengage.
>>
>>59183135
>19AC
What are you? Some sort of fag? Get some real armor
>>
>>59183000
I'd tentatively say no on both.
>>
>>59183214
Hrmm. Can I teach it to act human? Sit in a chair, drink and eat with utensils, not fling shit, etc?
>>
>>59183191
Dex? 15 with studded leather, 2 from a shield, 1 from protection. Str has higher AC at the beginning.
>>
>>59183000

>Understand Common
It'd better, otherwise I'd wonder how your Beastmaster is giving the ape commands in the thick of battle.
>Can it roll insight?
I'd say no. Apes and Humans (and most likely all other humanoids) have very different body language and social cues.
>>
So the most OP subclasses (non UA) per class are:

>Fighter
Batltemaster
>Ranger
Gloom Stalker
>Barbarian
Bear Totem
>Paladin
Oath of Ancients
>Monk
Way of the Open Hand
>Rogue
Scout
>Bard
Lore
>Warlock
Hexblade
>Wizard
Divination
>Sorcerer
?
>Druid
Moon
>Cleric
Tempest? Nature?
>>
>>59183251
Can you teach it to hit people with clubs and shit?
>>
>>59180729
No, it's an intentional incentive to encourage barbs to take swingier weapons like polearms and greataxes.
>>
>>59183178
Just keep him away from cats and sugar
>>
>>59183259
I'm thinking breastplate to start with. Can go up to 16. Leather becomes better only when I hit +5 Dex mod, which won't be at the start.
>>
>>59183000
Ape
>>
>>59183332
Good idea.
>>
>>59183282
Divine Soul
>>
File: transformizzle.png (515 KB, 473x750)
515 KB
515 KB PNG
do wildshape druids always just end up with elementals as the best option for most combat uses?

turning into bears and gorillas and shit sounds dope but elementals are boring
>>
>>59183251
I imagine yeah but you could conceivably teach it to a dog as well if it had opposable thumbs. It's not going to be human because it's an animal and there's an uncrossable barrier between them, but you can probably train it to imitate humanity.
>>
>>59183291
It seems like you should be able to. You give it proficiency in a couple skills (at least in the revised version), it could surely learn to use simple weapons.

>>59183412
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>59183282
Besg fighter is samurai.
Best paladin is still vengeance
Best Rogue is AT
Best Sorc is Shadow
Best Cleric is A dead cleric.
>>
>>59183499
Flavor your elementals as elemental animals

A bear made of pure fire, a massive wolf made up of the wind moving fast enough to slice people apart, and so on
>>
>>59183521
Are you talking about apes or elves?
>>
>>59183550
This is delicious. I want it.
>>
>>59183526
Apes understand Ape.
>>
>>59183282
>Oath of Ancients
I didn't have the sense it was any more OP than the rest of the paladin options. My favorite oath rp wise though.
>>
>>59183563
Apes, you can't stop Elves from flinging shit by any means other than genocide.
>>
>>59183493
Which version?
>>
>>59183629
As DM, from what I've seen Ancients has decent channel divinity, absolutely amazing aura and the misty step on oath spell list has proven to save the day at least a few times.
>>
>>59182037
>has the Trance ability which means she can get the benefits of long rest after 4 hours only

That's not how it works. A long rest is 8 hours no matter what. Trance just means you don't have spend most/all that time sleeping. You still need to be "resting" the whole time.
>>
>>59183795
No, that got errata'd to 4 hours for finished long rest
>>
>>59181445
>Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser
This one
>>
>Mothman
>Small Humanoid
>+2 Charisma
>+1 Dexterity
>Weak Flyer - Mothmen have a fly speed of 20 and can hover, but if they fly in a moderate wind they must make a DC 13 Athletics check to avoid being carried away.
>Superior Darkvision - 120ft
>Enchanting Stare - A Mothmen's gaze is deep and enchanting. As a bonus action, if a Mothmen makes eye contact with a creature, that creature must make a Wisdom saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn. The save DC is Charisma based. Pass or fail, a creature can only be effected by a particular Mothmen's Enchanting Stare once every 24 hours.
>Dusting - If a Mothmen flies 20 feet in a turn, it can coat any creature within 5 feet of its movement in a fine, sticky, and sparkly powder. This ability mimics the Faerie Fire spell, but without the need for concentration. The powder dims after 1 minute. This ability can be used once in a 24 hour period.
>Skill Proficiency - Mothmen are proficient in the Stealth skill
>Light Addled - Mothmen are attracted to bright lights such as a torch in a dark cave, or the sun. When they can see bright light they have disadvantage on Wisdom checks and saving throws.

Mothmen are small, lithe humanoids with large eyes and wings. They tend to have tufts of fur around their necks, wrists, and ankles. They are generally quiet creatures, using their natural charms to stun foes while they make their escape. The love bright lights and hobbies such as quiet reading, eating sweet things, and naps. It is not uncommon in some places for adventurers to wake up in the night to see a Mothmen ogling their campfire before noticing and silently flying into the night.
It's like, super terrible, right?
>>
>>59181445
First one. Then try broadening your horizons to different genres. I suggest Flashman Papers and Sharpe.
>>
>>59182999
Honestly I wouldn't do either; better to stay full Bladesinger. Bladesingers make bad true gishes; they're better full Wizards who are just a little better at not dying if they get stuck in Melee.
>>
>>59183527
>Best fighter is samurai.
How?
>>
>>59183805
Sage advice compendium says it's not intended to shorten the length of a rest. Has there been a more recent ruling?
>>
>>59182999
If you're going to multiclass fighter, go with battlemaster as most of the maneuvers function with booming blade/greenflame blade

As long as a maneuver only requires a melee weapon attack, and not an attack action, they work with the cantrips

And I would suggest either fighter or straight bladesinger, fighter if you plan on actually playing the flavor of the archetype and not being a munchkin because you'll want the extra hit points as you're playing (sort of) front lines akin to how a swashbuckler rogue should play
>>
>>59183282
EK > BM

Bear Totem is overrated, it's only good at very high levels when elemental damage becomes common. Both Eagle Totem and Zealot are better from 3 to 14th level

Scout is not better than Arcane Trickster

Best Sorcerer is Divine Soul

Moon Druid is overrated, it's only good from 2nd to 4th level, then Land is better

Best Cleric depends on what you want to do
>>
>>59183930
Can elves stand watch during the 4 hours they aren't in trance?
>>
>>59183821
>It's like, super terrible, right?
yes
>>
>>59183930
Most recent sage advice I can find is saying 4 hours long rest complete

He's also flip flopped on this stance basically at every point. Have your DM make a stance and stay with it (or do it if you're the DM), take some advice from Gary "well how did you rule it?" Gygax and stop looking to other people on how to run your game
>>
File: Ethereal.jpg (191 KB, 489x547)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
Given this passage, would it be reasonable to think that Leomund's Tiny Hut would provide the magical force necessary to prevent a creature in the Ethereal plane from reaching whatever is inside the hut?
>>
>>59183996
Moon is basically Land but more. Land does nothing worth caring about having or not having. Now if you said shepherd you might have something.
>>
>>59184065
Yes I'd say so, but it is your game
>>
>>59184074
Extra spells > Turning into a shitty animal that deals no damage
>>
>>59184100
Extra spells you'll never use because everything you want to cast is on the druid list, otherwise you'd have gone wizard.
>>
>>59184065
It's made of force which is in favor of blocking Ethereal. However Wall of Force actually specifies the effect extends into ethereal plane. I'd probably rule that it doesn't help against ethereal plane invaders if it wasn't for the fact that I houserule tiny hut as passable by anything, and only providing comfortable lodging and cover.
>>
>>59183996
Why EK over BM?
>>
File: LongRest.jpg (190 KB, 498x445)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
I'd like a second opinion on this passage. If I'm reading it right, I think it says that your long rest can be interrupted, but so long as the interruption lasts less than an hour and provided you continue resting afterwards, you would still get the benefit of a long rest provided you rested a full eight hours. Yes, no?
>>
>>59184150
Yes
>>
>>59184131
>everything you want to cast is on the druid list
And you get more slots to cast them
>>
>>59182744
>So, what are the best ways to cheat/prevent death for the whole party?
I'm running the module for a first-time group, I explained that the module itself states it's a meatgrinder and everything. I'm running 100% as written, 3 rolls a day with a 50% chance of an encounter on each roll. They're level 5 and only the druid has been knocked to 0, though she's been downed twice now. They fucked up 3 frost giants and 2 winter wolves at level 4, though they have a shield guardian. I'm disappointed.
>>
>>59178997
successful attack roll, bonus damage
failed attack roll, ya legs fuckt
>>
I need a character sheet for a level 5 warforged that will act as a +1 to pad out the party numbers when some players can make it to that weeks game
>>
>>59184150
Correct, unless you have 600 rounds of combat it probanly won't matter.
>>
>>59182744

My party's been doing ToA for a few months now. We're near the end now. Wandering around the jungle was fun, dangerous at time, but manageable. We're not in one of Acererak's tombs though. We're all gonna fucking die and there's nothing any of us can do about it.
>>
File: interrupting rest.png (111 KB, 794x601)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>59183086
>One of my players is trying to pose as a human
>players
Good thing is, at least he tries. It is not

>>59184150
Yes.
>>
>>59178997
Last session I allowed a whopping +3 damage on hit when dropping 15 feet, allowing a total of 6 extra damage, which probably didn't matter at all and I'm fine with it. If it was more, the party would start to keep looking for dropdown attack situations like it's some sort of fucking Dark Souls game.
>>
>>59184246

Okay. What class? Which subclass? How would you want stats generated? Do you want them on-par with a PC of that level, or slightly undertuned so they don't overshadow whoever isn't there that week?
>>
>>59184257
>swats a fly
MY REST IS RUINED
RUIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNEEEEDDDDD
>>
>>59184056
There has been no flip flopping at all. The original sage advice answers, saying it wasn't a long rest was a clarification of the rules, it told you RAW and RAI. The new ruling is actual errata, changing the RAW and RAI to make the ability more beneficial and less fluff.
>>
>>59184246
>MPMB Autocalculating Sheet
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1180

>All the scripts you will need
https://github.com/safety-orange/Imports-for-MPMB-s-Character-Sheet/blob/master/WotC%20material/all_WotC_pub%2BUA.js

Don't do it this way if your computer is slow.
>>
>>59182492
That's what I figured. I'm also not sure how it should work, because I feel like the agony thing should just be ongoing psychic damage, and I don't want to deal with having to track who is immune and who isn't, but that shouldn't be that huge a deal. All I want is that the ability vaguely mimic the symbol of pain spell because that's what it was based on in 3.5, so I was using the 5e version but honestly I don't know if ongoing psychic damage is better.
>>
File: suspicious keenan.gif (3.86 MB, 240x266)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB GIF
>>59184290
I mean, if the fly keeps bugging you all night, it does ruin a night of sleep.
>>
>>59178836
>how do you make exploration and traveling interesting?
I keep track of rations.
>>
>>59184290
Swatting a fly doesn't get adrenaline pumping. If you spent a significant portion of the hour trying to swat a fly, of course you don't get a short rest.
>>
>>59184268
I was thinking a well rounded fighter, if I was more ambitious I would make multiple sheets to fill multiple rolls depending on who is out. The characters rolled 5d6 best 3 no rerolls for the stats, so to make it slightly less powerful 4d6 word work
The party is level 4-5 so this guy being level 4 would work.
I don’t want him to over shadow the missing players, just give the players who are there that week a fighting chance
>>
>>59184342
>all night
>short rest is an hour
>>
>>59178836
>exploration
Find something fun to do when you find something

>Travelling
Fucking skip it. Or Murder on the Northsky Express. Or train robbery.
>>
File: outlander_season3.jpg (102 KB, 780x558)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>59184344
>I'm playing an outlander

It is kind of weird that one of the best player choices in an exploration game basically circumvents an entire mechanic.
>>
>>59184344
So what do you do if a druid has Goodberry and Create and Destroy Water?
>>
>>59184383
Are you FIGHTING the fly? Then I'm pretty sure that isn't very restful.
>>
>>59184302
My computer is about half as old as I am so I’m going to guess that it can’t handle that
>>
>Players are forced to explore abandoned railwsy station to lift the bridge blocking the train's movement
What sort of things could be inside the station?
>>
>>59183354
You don't get a breastplate to start with, though, and you probably don't want disadvantage at stealth if you're the dex guy. Your choice.
>>
File: 1523875454468.jpg (8 KB, 251x201)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>59184428
The ghost of the Fat Controller
>>
>>59184419
okay, tell me what kind of PC you want, I'll calculate it for you.
>Class, Background, way they fight annoying flies during a short rest, etc
>>
>>59184428
Homeless, mole men, and homeless mole men
>>
>>59184393
Bans druids. Railroaders gonna railroad.
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (196 KB, 1920x1080)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>59184428
>>59184456
ghouls eating dead mole men
>>
>>59183878
Well, I suppose it's also an option to go EK with two levels of Wizard. I'll consider that.

>>59183958
EK/AT would give me one caster level though, which would help early on.

A gish is what I'm after, and straight martial with no magic doesn't interest me.
>>
>>59184444

Breastplates don't give Disadvantage on Stealth checks, though. That's only scale mail and half plate.
>>
>>59184149
Not >>59183996, but maybe the tankiness. Gotta value survivability, which is why Half-Orc Zealots are pretty cool.
>>
>>59184428
Steam Constructs built by awakened tools. A wizard has been using it as a dumping ground for his magical experiments and these creatures are the result.
>>
>>59184518
Breastplates are only 16 AC though, which you'll meet at 18 dex.
>>
What's the best Wizard multiclass for EK? War Wizard? Abjurer? Also what level is it best to do it at? After 7 for War Magic?
>>
>>59184518
MAM is a seriously good feat, IF you have a character that can benefit from it.
>>
>>59184554
Maybe Abjurer for pure tankiness. Never undervalue the boost to initiative that War Mage gets.

5e fights are so quick, getting a good initiative roll is paramount.
>>
>>59183996
>EK > BM
>Scout is not better than Arcane Trickster
Both caster option requie high INT to really function.
>>
>>59184590
How high would you reckon? 14-16-18?
>>
>>59184447
I mentioned some of it here
>>59184374
But class fighter I’m going for as well rounded and versatile as possible using both mealy weapons and bows
Background I’m not sure what background in the books fit this the most but he is a mostly mindless automaton that follows the players orders in the most literal way possible.
I hate to make the comparison but he is similar to Doty from critical role.
In downtime he is motionless or attempting to obey a command often not in a way the player intended

Need anything else?
>>
File: call_the_commissar.jpg (42 KB, 502x316)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>59184428
Communists.
>>
>>59184617
That totally sounds like a Samurai, give me a sec.
>>
>>59184392
There's a ton of little rules like this. I think it's totally fine, since me going out of my way to track that stuff is what enables you to have fun with your background.

>>59184393
Actually the player in my group who shares my autistic love of rules like this is our druid. I don't think it's a bad thing that they have an easy way to procure food. Helps me cover my tracks when I forget to tell them to eat.
>>
>>59184559
It's only good if you are a Vuman.
>>
>>59184659
I already have a samurai in the group and he is one of the most reliable players for making it to the games

Don’t know if having 2 would out class him, but the current samurai so far focuses on long range attacks so the automaton could focus on close
>>
>>59184681
Or a 15 15 15 8 8 8 barbarian who has levelled a bit. Not the first ASI.
>>
>>59184554
If dex and high int, consider BS. You get a pretty sizable AC and concentration bonus for a 2 level dip, and you'll be able to max out int due to your extra ASI.
>>
>>59184727
Do you think he'd be comfortable running an EK?
>>
File: elf.jpg (103 KB, 800x662)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
This topic came up during my group's oota game last night:
The group ran into a human/elf npc couple and after the game our current DM made an offhand comment about how he felt a bit awkward rp'ing them. He said that he's always felt human/elf relationships were weird and creepy, which got a strange look from me. I ask him why and told him I've always thought they made for some of the cutest relationships among D&D races. We talked a little and went away agreeing to disagree but I wanted to get your guys' take on it.
>>
>>59184668
Speaking of which, does anyone have a good system for keeping track of character sheets and other adventure information as an online DM? I'm stuck on a laptop and tabbing around is really annoying. I'm on the verge of just printing everything out so I can finally keep track of everyone's inventory and encumbrance.
>>
>>59184749
EK?
Sorry I’m still a new dm so I don’t know what that is
>>
>>59184799
Eld Kni
>>
>>59184814
Google is giving me nothing, what is that?
>>
>>59184867
It's Eldritch Knight. It's in the PHB.
>>
>>59183043
Not in 5e kiddo
>>
>>59184799
Eldritch Knight
>>
>>59184906
Oh ok, didn’t recognize the abbreviation, yes that would work
>>
File: exploded boiler.png (508 KB, 640x478)
508 KB
508 KB PNG
>>59184428
Train ghosts.
>>
What's /5eg/ thoughts on the Inquisitive Rogue?
>>
>>59183121
Then use those fucking 3 extra Wizard levels to cast False Life and Misty Step more often
>>
Is fighter the best class for RPing a knight? If so then whats the best subclass?
>>
>>59185030

It's bad.
>>
>>59185073
Fighter or Paladin
>>
>>59185073
The Knight subclass
Or the Cavalier subclass
Or even the Samurai subclass
Or even the Paladin
>>
>>59184518
Yes, but it's so much cooler than studded. And I can get it if buying the gear with gold instead of a starting pack.
>>
>>59185096
Or the Eldritch Knight subclass. It's got fucking Knight on the name

Or any class with the Knight background
>>
>>59184518
Breastplates are badass
>>
File: 1506214734098.jpg (251 KB, 960x960)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>59183265
understanding a language and making a mental connection between vocalization and an intended command are two different things. Your dog doesn't understand what "sit" means, it understands that when it hears that sound, if it sits it will be rewarded.
That being said, primates are generally smarter than dogs, and I would rule that if the beastmaster had a high enough int and spent a lot of downtime, they could teach an ape a basic understanding of common.
>>
>>59185073
>Is fighter the best class for RPing a knight?
Paladin would probably be strong contestant, but i guess it depends on what kind of knight you have in mind.

> If so then whats the best subclass?
Battlemaster.
Well, this is one of the situations where Samurai could be fitting pick, but i'd still pick BM and maybe sank feat into boosting my chiavalry.
>>
>>59184518
How can studded leather virgins even compare?
>>
>>
File: Knight hong-soonsang-.jpg (388 KB, 1512x1482)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
>>59185073
Depends on the type of knight you want to be

Fighters are more fitting for acting as a historical knight as the skilled martial combatant and troop leader

Paladins are more fitting for acting as the ideal knight in shining armor archetype
>>
>>59185156
I mean if you can teach apes sign language in real life you can probably teach them to understand languages in a fantasy world. They are already smarter than stuff like hill giants.
>>
File: tief.jpg (264 KB, 500x727)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
Do tieflings always need to have their horns exactly in their forehead?, a player of mine read about other tiefling bloodlines apart of the ones from Asmodeous, should I tell them yes so they can make their own bad grampa devil to defeat on the future?
>>
>>59185073
I'm doing a Kensei Noble knight. Didn't tell the rest of the party my class either. Their faces when they expect you to wreck face with a longsword, but you drop it mid-fight and punch people instead, are delicious.
And I have a goblin squire retainer, who carries my swords. Very much a Jeeves to my Wooster.
>>
>>
>>59181425
It's not bending a rule if the rule doesn't exist in the first place.

Welcome to 5e, enjoy your stay.
>>
>>59185257
They don’t need to have horns at all, it’s just one of many possible looks, the horns can he anywhere on the body
>>
>>59185073
Oath of Devotion Paladin of course.
>>
>>59185285
That guy needs to learn how to take care of his fucking stuff, nobody would willingly let their gear get so rusty
>>
>>59184942
>8.5 mb
https://expirebox.com/download/bce4a300e56e7280a23d200cc420438c.html

Okay, just remind the player they can shove stuff with a Bonus Action if they attack that turn, and use shield often. They have the Soldier background.

It comes with a warhorse, and an owl familiar. All paid for using the Starting Equipment guide on pg 38 of the DMG.
>>
>>59185353
Thanks
>>
File: gelugon fiend.jpg (397 KB, 1200x775)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>59185257
A tiefling with gelugon ancestry even if the new lore doesn't really support that would probably look really sick.
>>
>>59185235
thats sort of what i meant, though idk if sign language would really be a thing in a universe with commonplace magic. but i think the basic ape is supposed to be more along the lines of like a gibbon or something, where the giant ape would be like a gorilla
>>
>>59185353
Am I opening the file wrong? It’s blank character sheets
>>
>>59185438
I thought a basic ape was a gorilla and a giant ape was king kong?
>>
>>59185400
I will agree on that the generalization of tieflings has made them a little bit boring over "fight your fiend gramps" story plot, But I believe that in SCAG there where some rules if your bloodline wasn't related to Asmodeus, at least my player isn't a faggot and wants to be related to beshaba or something
>>
>>59185455
giant ape is large iirc, unless there is some explanation on it i wouldn't think a gorilla would be medium
>>
>>59185353
All I’m getting is the blank format is that the right link?
>>
>>59185481
Giant ape is huge.
>>
I have a big fantasy setting to work with with lots of different factions or whatever. How the fuck do I give my players the rundown on this setting without giving them a ton of required reading?
>>
>>59185529

>Faction Name
>Goals
>Likes
>Dislikes
And an example of their flag or armor or something.
>>
>>59185517
huh, guess you're right. Still a gorilla seems rather large to be a medium creature
>>
trove ded
>>
>>59185584
Anon confirmed manlet.
>>
>>59185584
Firbolgs and Goliaths are medium as well.
>>
>>59185604
>Height is the only factor when considering creature size
k.
>>59185639
for the sake of game balance, yes. thats why goliaths have powerful build
>>
>>59185439
>>59185511
do you have javascript running on adobe DC?
>>
>To a Battle Master, combat is an academic field, sometimes including subjects beyond battle such as weaponsmithing and calligraphy. Not every fighter absorbs the lessons of history, theory, and artistry that are reflected in the Battle Master archetype
How do you justify a dumb Battle Master?
>>
>>59185654
Nigga they are ten foot tall.
>>
>>59185687
Goku, but with swords.
>>
>>59185687
ignore that fluff
>>
>>59185687
By making the maneuvers more of an instinctual type of thing. It doesn't take a MENSA member to figure out how to trip someone or parry a blow. I usually at least like to have a little WIS on my fighters though, if not INT.
>>
>>59185705
whats your point?
>>
>>59185710
Fucking Kakarot
>>
File: let's try again.pdf (2.84 MB, PDF)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB PDF
>>59185353
>file is already deleted
What? Did someone report it?

>>59185439
>>59185511
Try this one.
>>
>>59185687
Goku.
Train obsessively, willing to learn any technique.
>>
>>59185677
I’m not close to my computer so I’m using my iphone
>>
>>59185754
Ya, it only works on a computer (mac or pc). Try this one: >>59185748
>>
>>59185687
Wow, BM's flavor fit a Samurai better than the actual subclass made for it
>>
>>59185748
This one works, thank you very much
>>
>>59185738
My point is that gorillas are medium sized. I mean shit, Baboons are small and those fuckers are pretty big.
>>
File: rolling chart.png (337 KB, 813x963)
337 KB
337 KB PNG
>>
>>59185764
Samurai is more about being a diplomatic noble with some intense boosts that occur when their killing intent gets riled up. Battlemaster is more about low cunning and being willing to use your whole body as a weapon at any time in a number of versatile ways.
>>
Rolled 89, 53, 9 = 151 (3d100)

>>59185806
>>
>>59185780
sure, fair enough. but you DO understand that goliath and firbolg are medium because they have to be balanced player races, right?
>>
>>59185828
Wizards are pussies and cant handle fun large adventurers.
>>
File: sven-bybee-20.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1271)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>59185811
Plus, samurai fits REALLY well with Elvish Accuracy. A warrior society bent on maintaining their cultural isolation from the rest of the world. Wood Elves or Edo Period Japan?
>>
>>59185864

But anon, I thought all elves were Bladesingers?
>>
>>59185894
Aren't all elves Arcane Archers?
>>
Rolled 14, 66, 14 = 94 (3d100)

>>59185806
Let's try this out
>>
>>59185917
>>59185894
all elves are ghey
>>
New:

>>59185984
>>59185984
>>59185984
>>
File: why_not_both_zoidberg.jpg (86 KB, 500x383)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>59185864
Edo Period Wood Elves?
>>
>>59185917
Maybe if you can rework AA to work off Wisdom. I mean, you can pick druidcraft, and the art is clearly a Wood Elf.
>>
>>59185806
>Half-elf Warlock Acolyte
How very generic
>>
>>59180729

It's almost as if they wanted to create a further mechanical difference between 1d12 weapons and 2d6 weapons....
>>
>>59180790

Sooooo...Mystic?
>>
>>59181260

You. I like you.
>>
>>59185043
And die once I'm out of spell slots?
>>
>>59182092

Goodman's coming out with a huge 5e version of Keep on the Borderland in about a month., thought the first printing sold out. No leaked spoilers yet but from the description should be a good mix of history and ready-to-play.
>>
>>59184776

His magical realm is interracial and he thinks you don't know. Do what you want with this information.
>>
>>59185191

I look at those outfits and I think "those men are having a lot of sex." I do not, however, think they're having it with women.
>>
Rolled 81, 72, 10 = 163 (3d100)

>>59185806
>>
Rolled 3, 6, 3, 6, 1, 1, 3, 1, 5, 4, 2, 1, 1, 4, 4, 3, 1, 1, 4, 6, 3, 3, 2, 1 = 69 (24d6)

>>59187335
Human Ranger with a background of Charlatan. Let's see how the stats go.
>>
Rolled 48, 47, 73 = 168 (3d100)

>>59185806
Here we go
>>
Rolled 11, 22, 15 = 48 (3d100)

>>59185806
Rolling.
>>
Rolled 4, 4, 5, 8, 1, 19 = 41 (6d20)

Check my Human Warlock
>>
Rolled 4, 4, 2, 3, 5, 5, 1, 5, 2, 5, 3, 3, 6, 4, 4, 5, 3, 6, 6, 6, 2, 4, 1, 2 = 91 (24d6)

>>59188178
>Dragonborn Cleric Charlatan

Okay. Not super familiar with Dragon Gods. Is there one for Faerie Dragons? I'm thinking Trickster domain?

Either that or Tiamat Cleric faking being Bahamut Cleric. Oh. Tiamat IS trickery domain...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.