[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Whatcha
>Brewin?
>Playin?
>Hatin?

Previous: >>59124485
Thread question: Will MtG Arena save the standard?
>>
>>59185121
I don't know about Arena, despite the complaints, it's a much better product than Heartstone was at launch, on top of being both the better game and the original. But firstcomer advantage is huge, DotA 2 could never catch up to LoL despite being in a similar position and having the backing of Valve.
>>
Arena plays well. Virtually ALL the gripes are with the reward system and how slow/inefficient it is to assemble the deck you want to play. So everyone just builds RDW since it's the easiest.

Hope they come up with a solution. I also hope they do add some dang code cards to physical products.
>>
I was wondering how Arena will deal with banned cards....
Like the red Dinosaur that is banned right now. It is legal on Arena....

Will they ban them on rank level?
Will they change them and patch the Arena version because they now can?
Will they just let broken cards exist?
>>
>>59186521
I don't think that ferocidon is really that bad, Ruins is more of an issue for me really. Not having a premier 1 drops like Bomat Courier, shock makes RDW a lot less scary compared to paper standard, and its super easy to make deck that preys on RDW being a huge part of the meta.
>>
>>59185121
Is Ripjaw Raptor+Golden Guardian spicy enough for Mono-green?
>>
>>59186925
>field of ruin exists and is run in every deck that would care
>artifact destruction is cheap
>10 mana combo
>>
been out of standard for a while. Been hearing a bunch about the saporlings deck coming for Dominaria. Should I buy in or is it just the flavor of the month?
>>
>>59187421
There's actually a 2mana 2/2 lord for Fungus AND saprolings coming out, you should go abzan for that token-doubling enchantment
>>
>>59187164
Guess it's back to EDH/brawl with the golem
>>
>>59186174
Applying the banlist will hopefully help. Ramunap Red is legitimately too good without Energy to keep it in check.

>>59187164
Golden Guardian is too bad to work into a deck. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing, but there's just so many drawbacks:

>costs 4 mana and does basically nothing unless you're getting aggro'd
>dies to every relevant piece of removal except strike
>requires a huge creature on the battlefied or chumping something + combat shenanigans, also open mana

I hate it because the flip side is both awesome and ridiculously cool flavorwise, but I just can't make it work anywhere.
>>
File: 5583-orig.jpg (9 KB, 170x170)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
My gf likes playing magic with me, and I've decided to expand my collection, which currently consists of a 2014 deckbuilder box, the demo decks every LGS has, and a duel deck or two.

I'm getting a deckbuilder of Amonkhet because I love Egyptian shit, and when I ran through the recent sets she shrugged and said she was more interested in the mechanics than the themes of them.

So, which recent set (say, from Theros up till now) had the best mechanics, particularly for kitchen table play?
>>
>>59185121
brewing mono-u favorable winds, with the new djinns. siren and that scrybird for one drops
>>
>>59185121
>brewin
Mono green stompy
>Playin
G/B constrictor
>Hatin
approach
>>
>>59185121
>Brewing
Golgari Stompy with Belzenlok and Ghalta
>Playing
Esper Second Sun
>Hating
Grixis Artifact brews in my local meta. Fuck Herald of Anguish.

Arena is a good step in the right direction. With a more rewarding economy system I can very easily see it becoming the premier way to draft, but I feel that proper constructed environments will be short/lives without some form of MTGO integration - being able to import a Standard inventory from MTGO to Arena sounds feasible enough via an encoded text file or somesuch.
>>
>>59187658
Wait for Dominaria and the plethora of uncommon build-arounds that will make for excellent casual decks.
>>
>>59187658
I know newer sets are less popular, but I unironically think, from the timeframe you proposed, Kaladesh and Amonkhet have the most fun mechanics, with lots of cool cards to build decks around (as long as you don't plan on getting super competitive).
>>
>>59187658
Amonkhet-block is very deep with its mechanics, so if you get enough of the set, you could build fun decks that works in several ways.
Shadow over Innistrad+Eldritch Moon synergizes extremly well with Amonkhet+HOU, because of the focus on zombies and cycling+mandess.

Ixalan-block is very easy to build around, due to tribal focus, unfortunatly it's also very shallow, so decks can get boring. Though if you like smashing with creatures such as dinosaurs and curving out with creatures go for it.

Dominaria will be "build around me" the block, people has even compared it with Time Spiral block on how many different things you can do.

I'd go for Amonkhet+HOU and SoI+Eldritch Moon
>>
>>59187772
>>59187760
Alright, thanks.

I was also, in my plebian look-at-the-pictures mindset, considering picking up Shadows over Innistrad and/or its following set for that sweet Lovecraft vibe.
>>
>>59185121
What's the consensus on the value of these challenger decks anyway? Been playing pretty much only pauper for a while now.
>>
>>59187813
Good luck buying one since people are buying the red one at least because the cards are worth more on the market than the MSRP of the challenger deck.
>>
>>59187812
If you can find a box of Shadows for <$100 USD, grab it. It’s a fantastic and complex limited environment with a good bit of room for experimenting in casual constructed.
>>
>>59187813
Really good value, even though the time you get to play them is a bit short, get them ASAP if you want to play standard
>>
>>59187813
About 31 bucks for 45 bucks worth of product. The numbers will tell you it's more than that, but anything that takes longer than 24 hours to move should generally be disregarded.
>>
File: 1486423922736.jpg (145 KB, 1280x720)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>59187658
>a 2014 deckbuilder box
>demo decks every LGS has
>a duel deck or two.
>collection

git gud kid.
>>
any recommendations for cheap upgrades for the Hazoret Aggro challenger deck?
>>
>>59185121
Playing Favorable Pirates. Fun Build.
>>
>>59189354
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-red-46320#paper
>>
>>59186873
Bans are bans no matter if you agree or not.
And the cards getting bans would be the same in Arena?
>>
>>59187847
well shit I work at a Walmart and we still have fucktons of the Red Challenger decks.
>>
so do I buy 4 Karns now
or after prerelease
or after release?
>>
>>59189354
The very cheapest upgrade would be a playset of Earthshaker Khenras.
>>
Do people discuss Brawl here?
>>
>>59190589
Well, edh general hates most discussion on brawl and standard threads are mostly slow, so standard thread is a good place
>>
>>59190651

Meh, nobody except my friends and my LGS seem interested in the format, figured I'd ask since I don't come here much and refuse to look at Reddit
>>
>>59190589
I'm hype for Brawl but it's kind of not a thing yet. Everyone's sort of just waiting on Dom to drop before they even bother building for it. I think WotC organizing some Brawl events would also kickstart interest.
>>
>>59190674
About 5-9 people at my LGS have already built their decks for Brawl, but I'm just waiting for DOM to drop for Muldrotha and Llanowar elves. There's so much Sultai midrange and mono-green stuff coming soon.
>>
>>59190712
>>59190685

I built a BG Hapatra deck out of mostly bulk and bought things that will slot into Darigaaz Ramp Cool Stuff and it's pretty dope, I'm excited for DOM just because of this format and Damping Sphere
>>
>>59190712
oh forgot, my LGS is also really fucking small, sp 5-9 people is like 1/3 of the playerbase here
>>
>>59190750

Out of the 150 people that play at mine I think half of them are building into Brawl or already have a Brawl deck in progress, everyone except legacyfags think it sounds fun because muh non-eternal format
>>
>>59185121
>>
>>59185121

>Playin
GB Snek/merfolk

>Brewin
GB saproling festival/stompy

>Hatin
Grixis energy is literally the only deck with enough removal to ruin my day

I should probably stick to BG when building for dominaria and drop blue completely. I'm not going to miss Merfolk
>>
Do you believe UR Gift will still be competitive after Dominaria?
>>
>>59194523
DOM doesn't bring that much hate, except for Rewind, so I don't see how it would affect it
>>59194513
Have you done some matchups against GR stompy/dinosaurs? Playing snek too and find that is one of the harder matchups because of nonstop threats
>>
>>59185121
>Brewin?
Nothing perticular.
>Playin?
MonoRed, Naya-Monster
>Hatin?
Token

>>59194523
Meme, that fucks consistently all flavours of Scarab Gods. GPG will be in Standard for as long Amomketh is. Builds may vary.
>>
>>59194700
>>59194713
Good because I just built it and I have 2 more Combat Celebrants to sell.

>>59194713
>Meme
Dude there were 3 decks in the top8.
>>
>>59194700

Always mulligan for fatal push to kill their dorks/curve into snake, rishkar, gearhulk to go over them
>>
>>59194713
>hatin token
was thinking about doing a low to the ground azor agro deck with the embalm/eternalize and caping off at 5 cmc since the eternalize/embalm fill in 4-7 drops so I can outvalue the control and out life gain the agro
>>
>>59195065
Are there dorks in Standard right now?
>>
>>59185121
>Brewin?
Waiting for Dominaria so I'm making a stupid meme deck I call Powerslave. Hazoret's Favour and then ways to steal creatures, buff, swing and fling.
>Playin?
WU Auras, Almost Mono Green Stompy
>Hatin?
Golgari Counters since it cost me the store championship
>>
>>59195963
Servant of the Conduit?
>>
>>59195963
The only played ones right now are Drover of the Mighty+Otepec Huntmaster works for dino-decks and Servant of the Conduit for others
>>
>>59195963
the only mana dork I have ever used in standard was Channeler Initiate because it's the spiciest
>>
>>59190589
The couple games of Brawl I've seen have looked awful. They're just massive battlecruiser durdlefests. Without reliable means to tutor up specific cards, say metallurgic summonings for a spell deck, you're extremely limited in what you can build.

This is compounded by the fact there's not enough removal or control pieces available.

>>59195963
There are several, but they're all 2 drops. One is a three drop but makes two colorless.
In theory a perfect hand would allow you to have six mana on T3 when Llanowar Elves hits.

At the moment my deck needs three more firebirds to really be competitive, but fuck I don't want to spend $60+ on three cards that I know are extremely over-inflated. Then again, I have to ask myself why do I need a high-tier competitive deck if I don't even bother with PPTQs and the like.
>>
>>59196204
>They're just massive battlecruiser durdlefests.
I'm already half hard.
>>
File: UW Approach.jpg (30 KB, 715x223)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Any suggestions to improve my approach list? Probably going to add one more settle and then maybe another gearhulk. Also considering adding some cheap removal to sideboard.
>>
>>59196286
>censors
censors are fine but in small doses, maybe a 2 of
>no creatues in the main
I would suggest torrential in the main, it is possible to play this deck and never see a single approach so having a way to present a 4 turn clock behind a control shell will get you there
>4 glacial fortress
>4 ipnu rivulet, take out of basics
>side board whatever your lgs is playing, authority if a lot of rdw, crook if a lot of scarab, spell pierce if a lot of control
>>
Can someone explain to me why Ruins is banned?
>>
>>59196390
Too much late game gas for monored.
>>
>>59196411
Doesn’t it only provide one red per turn since it has to be tapped?
>>
>>59196390
it's a land that presents 2 more points of damage on board so you must factor that in when blocking and doing unfavorable trades to stem the bleeding from rdw
>not the worst offender on the list, would rather them ban ahn-crop crasher or bomut than the land
>>
>>59196441
I think losing Crasher would wreck the deck whereas losing Ruins only brought its consistency down enough for it to be fair.
>>
>>59196390
WotC was afraid monored would become too dominant with Temur Energy out of the picture.

It's still a strong deck, but it has a rough time against decks that can life gain - ie all the UBx control/midrange decks running around.

Without the land, the deck has a hard time finishing off opponents who can gain even 2-4 life.

Rampaging Ferocidon was banned for the same reasons. Basically, WotC doesn't like it when aggro decks become strong/popular because then it edges out their dream of a mid-range, planeswalker-centric meta.
>>
>>59196475
>the deck doesn't need to be wrecked
they are getting more tools in dominaria, rdw is out of control
>>
>>59196513
Do tell what tools those are. Monored didn't get much out of Dominaria other than a sideboard card.
>>
>>59196381
thanks for the advice
I got told by another player at the LGS not to use spell pierce (it was in my sideboard) because it's a tempo card. Did he make the wrong call?
>>
>>59196533
>goblin chainwirler (side)
>wizard's lightning
>shivan fire
>sparring construct
>orcish vandal
>>
>>59196569
I like spell pierce if you make the information that you have spell pierce known then they opponite has to think (he might have a spell pierce) thus making them have a 2 mana tax on what they play
>'accidently' have your sideboard reveled when you move from table to table with spell pierce on the top
>>
>>59196622

Or just reveal it.

There’s nothing in the rules saying you can’t reveal a card just to reveal it.
>>
>>59196485
More like that RDW was so good the only thing that had positive results against it was Temur Energy, so when they killed temur, they had to nerf RDW for it not to overtake the meta
>>
>>59196666
Witnessed

Could 5c Humans be viable in standard? Or does the deck need the variety that modern has?
>>
>>59196706
No manabase to support it in standard.
>>
>>59196706
Humans are only a thing in modern because of the immense flexibility and power it has.
Such a thing doesn't exist in standard.
Never mind the mana base.

>>59196592
>Wizard's Lightning
It's an Open Fire 98% of the time in a monored deck.

>Shivan Fire
We already have Magma Spray and Shock. Magma spray is even more important in a meta where GPG and embalm/eternalize decks exist.

4R to do four damage to a creature isn't going to win you any games.

>Sparring Construct
Worse than any other one-drop you could play by a wide margin.

>Orcish Vandal
1R for a 1/1 that requires you to sacrifice an artifact to do 2 damage. I want you to think very hard about why this is a terrible card in an aggro deck.
>>
>>59196847
This.

Now, there are potentally other red decks that can emerge (Champion of the Flame R/w equip + auras, R/U Wizards, etc) but the current deck gets Chainwhirler in the side and that's it.
>>
File: rogan.jpg (53 KB, 640x583)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
When Dominaria rotates out, wizards is going to create a new eternal format that starts with that set. Every card in the format will have the new m15 card designs, and will make use of the rules and wording changes made in dominaria (add mana, any target, legendary planeswalker (although this comes from ixalan), they). There will be no tarkir fetches, and they will also be able to dodge energy. Dominaria will also be where they start because it is the frost set designed with the help of the play design team, and coincides with the year of Magic's 25th anniversary.

screen this, see you in 2019
>>
File: 1522376788170.png (1.07 MB, 671x1366)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
I'm playing WB vampires token. Current creatures are
4x dusk legion zealot
3x Martyr of dusk
4x legion liutenant
2x champion of dusk

Do you guys think it might be a good idea to switch 3x martyrs with ex metallic mimic ?
>>
>>59197109
I'm actually ok with this.
I play modern but I want a new eternal format
>>
>>59197152
metallic mimic doesn't really do much, very low impact 2/1 the turn it comes out and only shines in token decks
>rather have stickier martyr or Adanto Vanguard or even Famished Paladin to get Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle triggers
>>
>>59197264
I'm playing a token deck actually.
The times when you slam a queen commission on t3 after t2 mimic feel really good. Dusk martyr is only good after boardwipes or when you play defensively
>>
>>59197109
I'm okay with this just because it would be nice to get in on the ground floor of a new eternal format. I've been playing and collecting since Invasion but I was out of the game around the time Modern was establishing itself.

Of course I'd like it even more if this time WotC tried to rein in prices from the start.
>>
File: hits just right.jpg (682 KB, 1841x1895)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
>>59197109
Perfect. I would welcom a supported format that needs no old ass expensive cards that can not be bought in my country
>>
>>59185121
Are these challenger decks any good or are they already solved problems for other standard players?
>>
>>59185121
>Brewin

Blue White Auras for Dominaria Release, Danitha plus Shalai seems dope for the deck plus cutting skymarcher for dauntless bodyguard, undecided on mox amber still
Also considering updating an izzet flyers list i have with the new legendary Djinn, virtuoso into Djinn seems strong

>Playin
Sultai Constrictor, have a player of the year qualifier thing at my store soon that's Top 8 Elimination and wondering if it's the right deck for the job still

>Hatin

People who don't play standard whining about it this long after Temur ban, even though they whined when Temur was around.

Standard is fun and my FLGS has been getting more and more players steadily after a huge drop off since marvel ban
>>
>>59197109
>eternal format with red deck, green stompy and black zombie
What's the fucking point? Even Pauper would be more powerful and interesting.
The appeal of eternal formats is that you can have decks like 5C Humans.
>>
>Never going to get to play Ixalan standard without Bollywood being standard too
>>
>>59200530
Does Bollywood mean Dominaria in this context, or...?
>>
>>59185121
>brewin

Mono red or red/white unga for post rotation. Those dominaria sagas have potential.
>>
>>59196592
more like the only decent add is warcry phoenix
>>
>>59200571
My guess is that he means Kaladesh.
>>
>>59201757
That's what I would guess too, but Kaladesh rotates out in six months while Ixalan remains.
>>
>>59200530

You know the next rotation Kaladesh and Amonkhet blocks rotate out, right?
>>
>>59204743
And then we lose RDW and red in general.
>>
>>59204940
What if goblins, though? Core set is coming
>>
Any chance UR wizards becomes a decent standard deck?
>>
How badly will people make fun of me if I show up to a standard night with a straight challenger deck that I made no changes to?
>>
>>59185121
Is karn worth 35 bucks
>>
>>59185121
>Brewin?
Bant Approach
>Playin?
WB Vampires; I could really use some pointers on how to play it/what to run, though...
>Hatin?
Explore, surprisingly. There's this guy playing Sultai counters in my meta and he's the reason I'm sideboarding Solemnity.
>>
File: Image (2).png (130 KB, 223x311)
130 KB
130 KB PNG
>>59208088
*blocks your path*
>>
>>59208274
If your LGS isn't full of self-righteous cunts, then not at all.
>>
File: 1518922244579.gif (566 KB, 500x281)
566 KB
566 KB GIF
>buying green stompy
>total on tcg adds up to around 120 dollars
>get cold feet
I can afford it easy, but I just don't know.
>>
File: 1518974221367.jpg (32 KB, 234x239)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
How did the Magic market explode so much bros? When I was a kid I used to buy Unhinged booster boxes for $40 each and sell the lands for $1.50 each, making a nice profit and ended up with like 3x5000 count boxes of Unhinged cards in the end. Literally zero people in the entire fucking world besides me were buying these boxes at the time and I had an awesome time opening all of the product.

I've been watching some Youtube videos lately about Magic and there's a whole "MtG Finance" thing with people pouring their life savings into Magic and treating it like actual investment banking. I went down the entire rabbit hole and it's just amazing to me. Unhinged boxes are literally $600 today when you couldn't even give them away back in the day.

Where is all this money coming from? Why are so many people investing their life's savings into a card game?
>>
>>59208538

Never underestimate the nostalgia of old white men
>>
>been out of standard since RTR
>challenger decks come out, fuck it, lets play
>grab UW because I like control decks, add in some Authority of the consuls to improve aggro matchup
>figure I'll go 0-2 and just play EDH/Brawl
>Play a couple test games against some newer players running mono-red, beat them both, cool, still pretty sure I'll lose
>r1 against BW approach, beat him in 3
>ok joke deck, guess people still play those, now I get smashed
>r2, mardu vehicles, beat him in 3 again, none of the games were close
>hmmm maybe this deck has legs
>r3 against UB Gift, nailbiter but I pull it out in 3
>draw into top 8 (small store)
>top 8, vehicles again, smoke him in 2
>split top 4 because its midnight

So yeah, that deck is pretty good. Any suggestions for stuff to add?
>>
>>59208532
xmage or cockatrice some games with it
>>
File: GaeasBlessing.jpg (103 KB, 223x311)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Would this card be good for a deck based around Explore?
>>
>>59209570
No
>>
File: Image.png (133 KB, 223x311)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
>>59208374
>>
>>59208538
>What happen?
>When I was a kid I used to buy Unhinged booster boxes for $40 each and sell the lands for $1.50 each
This sort of behavior expanded beyond children to people who can make a passing buck by selling on eBay. It's basically you multiplied by thousands doing the same thing.

Money stopped moving through the store and instead started moving from players to other players. Players who are in it to profit have their priorities torn between the game and profit and the profit usually comes at the cost of the community and the infrastructure the store has to shoulder by operating a brick and mortar.
>>
File: dispel.jpg (27 KB, 223x310)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>59209902
>>
>>59187881
Just got back from my local store, they have a shitton of the blue ones. Are they worthless or should I be rushing in to buy them?
>>
>>59200530
You're stupid, but also this pain was real in Shadows over Innistrad, which was stapled to BfZ and it sucked. Moving away from 3 set blocks hurt me.
>>
>>59210930
>Standard general
Dispel was last in BFZ
>>
>>59186521
It will probably be like other digital card games 'this card was changed, so you can cash it in for full dust' in arena it will probably be like 'this card is now banned, it can be converted to equivalent wildcards for anyone that wishes to remove it from their collection'
>>
>>59209147
Gearhulks, disallows, fumigates, settles, searches.
>>
>>59210930
Dispel isn't going to work on Puncturing Blow, anon.
>>
>>59208308
No. Every standard PW starts out high on the hype train in prerelease and immediately crashes. Chandra is the latest PW to not plummet into single digits immediately after release.
Somehow Gideon is toeing the line around $10, but otherwise everyone is dirt cheap.
>>
>>59211739
Chandra was the last good planeswalker. If you think Karn won't be a standard contender, I don't know to tell you, quite frankly. Fucking OUTPOST SIEGE was a standard playable card.
>>
If you arent trying to make a jank combo work in standard then why are you even fucking playing
>>
>>59211776
death's majesty
>>
>>59211934

Because the variables of Modern make my head hurt

At least I can get my head around the variables of Standard
>>
File: 1364113647903.jpg (24 KB, 184x184)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>59210930
>instant spell
>on a sorcery
>>
>>59211697
Add some kangzslayers too. I swear that card will break standard more than scarab god
>>
>>59185121
been trying Arena and I'm starting to remember one of the reasons I had stopped playing years ago, how fucking annoying it is to play against either Blue or White
>>
>>59213072
knowing how to play around blue is the 'git gud' of mtg
it's not hard but normies don't put in the small amount of effort to learn
>>
File: IMG_4579.png (745 KB, 1334x750)
745 KB
745 KB PNG
I just started playing Magic.
Bought the Counter Surge challenger deck. After a day sitting with it I realize I need to get rid of the Dreamstealer, Gonti and Scrapheap Scrounger cards.

I bought upgrades today, Servant of the Conduit x3, Bristling Hydra x3, Blooming Marsh x4 and Evolving wilds x2 all for $28 US Dollars.
Was this a good purchase?
I'm guessing my next purchase would be 2 or 3 Walking Ballistas?

My plan is to swap out the creatures for these new ones and replace some of my swamps and forrests with Blooming Marshes and Evolving Wilds. Am I on the right track?

If I make all these upgrades would this be considered a babbys budget version of BG Constrictor, or am I way off?
>>
>>59213116
I know how to do it, doesn't mean it isn't still incredibly annoying to play against(especially since that often means playing Blue as well, and I find playing as Blue really boring for the most part)
>>
>>59213072
>>59213116
>>59213800
Honestly, blue is actually sort of refreshing because draw/go is a really fun matchup once you realize that you're the one ultimately trying to keep THEM from doing stuff they want, not the other way around. Ultimately once you realize that you can play around their answers, it becomes about threading the needle through their bullshit. Bad example since this is pauper, but pauper tron players basically just want to have all the answers all the time, and your job is to find the opportunity to get through when they can't answer everything at once, and different decks have different ways of going about doing that.

I will admit that it can get really exhausting, though. I generally only want to play at maximum 2 control matchups in a row otherwise I start feeling burnt out.
>>
>>59208538
>Unhinged boxes are literally $600 today when you couldn't even give them away back in the day.
>3x5000 count boxes of Unhinged cards in the end.
This is why. Unhinged cards are easy and cheap to get, while sealed products, what everyone wants for chaos-drafts and the like, is close very hard to aquire.
>>
>>59213254

You're pretty much right.

Consider getting jadelight rangers, can be a 6/5 T3 with a snake on board
>>
>>59214077
true, indeed while countering is annoying, I think I find the control mechanics White uses(exiling, first strike, and making creatures unable to attack and/or block and/or neutralizing their abilities) even more obnoxious to deal with

but then I'm talking about specifically in the context of Arena and it's currently very limited pool of cards
>>
>>59214500
arena is just missing dom from standard right?
>>
>>59214584
And Kaladesh, thank god for that.
>>
>orazca music starts playing
>>
File: DbA-QMDWkAADQE_.jpg (116 KB, 1014x572)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Bravo, Wizards of the Color. So what's next? Colored mana can be used as anything except white? The next Sliver Queen is going to be MtF?
>>
>>59215974
You can't be serious. This an edit?
>>
>>59216212
It's on their official Twitter
>>
>>59215974
>It's real
Wow, that's dumb
>>
I have been brewing on a wizard-merfolk tempo deck recently. It feels like it can beat down quite well. When Naban is out this deck can do quite silly stuff. I am not sure on the non creature spell package but the Adventorous Impulse feels really strong.

3 Adventurous Impulse
4 Botanical Sanctum
3 Deeproot Elite
1 Forest
1 Hashep Oasis
4 Hinterland Harbor
10 Island
2 Kopala, Warden of Waves
2 Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca
1 Memorial to Unity
4 Merfolk Mistbinder
4 Merfolk Trickster
4 Naban, Dean of Iteration
3 Opt
4 Silvergill Adept
2 Spell Pierce
4 Unsummon
4 Watertrap Weaver
>>
>>59215974
>>59216212
>>59216230
>>59216392
As an Anon in another thread pointed out, the other part of xir's backstory involved being handed to a random elf while still bleary eyed and blood stained, being seperated from it's mother at birth made it all fucked up. It's the most redpilled thing Wizards have every done

Someone really believes that is the sad thing
>>
MTG Arena is a really well made piece of software but I would rather spend a night sanding down my ballsack than play it.
The game is 65% RDW, 25% Dimir control (Usually piloted by troglodytes who run out the clock every turn so the games take an ungodly amount of time no matter if you win or lose) and 10% everything else.
>>
>>59216483
seems like a good deck
>if you wanted to go maximum tempo I would add llanamor elves instead of Opt to make adventurous impulse wif less and having a one drop to help you curv out if you miss your 2 drop
>>
>>59216212
>>59216392
I've been shitting up their twitter ever since.
Filled with burgerland feelgood retards.
>>
>>59216542
Blame the shitty economy. Once you decide to build a deck, that's it, there's no turning back.
RDW happens to have the most potential for the least investment, so it's the easiest deck to start out with.
Right now Arena is yet another Duels of the Planeswalkers. If they want people to actually play it, they're going to have to make obtaining cards about 4-5x easier so people can build their main competitive deck within two weeks of a new set's release, then be able to work on side decks and such. Or just be able to react to shifting meta and change up their deck.

>>59213254
Scrapheap is pretty decent since you can bring it back. I'd keep it in if you're playing around a bunch of removal-heavy decks.

>>59213052
I don't know what card that is.

>>59211934
Because I like consistency instead of praying I draw the right shit and my opponent doesn't.
>>
>>59214479
>>59217206
Cool that's what I figured, thanks guys
>>
>>59217206
>majority of arena is rdw
>build w/u life gain deck to counter it
>they always get raptors on turn 3

why do they allow banned cards?
>>
File: xrttlum.gif (497 KB, 500x307)
497 KB
497 KB GIF
>>59185121
>new series of decks meant to easy the entry barrier to standard
>sold 60% above MSRP at every neckbeard shop

Can paper magic just die?
>>
>>59217250
The hell is UW lifegain?
You'd be better served by going UW GPG. A 3/3 with a passive effect like that is going to be annoying to deal with for UW, but can be managed, especially if you go the GPG route.

Even unsummon can be a huge setback if they're leaning hard on the ferocidon to keep you from gaining life and attack into a bunch of lifelink blockers.
>>
>>59217288
Just buy them from ebay, I got all 4 on the mail earlier today. and no, I am not going to resell them, I am keeping one and letting 3 friends pick one each free
>>
>>59217206
He's talking about Lyra Dawnbringer, the new Baneslayer Angel.
>>
>>59215974
Who gives a fuck about the lore, what’s the card stats?

Red green with tap to deal direct damage?
>>
>>59190005
I'd say wait until release. Worse case I can see happening is he jumps from $30 to $40, but right now we have what I call hype prices so it could easily go down.
>>
>>59217354
Pretty good for an uncommon
>>
>>59217288
Stores marking up Hazored makes sense to discourage scalpers. But anyone marking up the other three just sucks at business. This is a product that's going to get new blood in your store and you're deliberately sabotaging yourself making it harder to acquire.
>>
>>59217395
>Verderous Gearhulk
>>
>>59215974
The most irritating part about this is there's a fat cunt of an SJW at my LGS that is all about her fucking pronouns and gets bent out of shape if you 'misgender' something.
She had a fit over me calling the aetherborn 'he/him' during a pre-release.
I pray I don't get matched against her again if either of us have this card.
>>
>>59217430
>verderous gearhulk doesn't have a kicker
>would have to trigger later
>>
>>59217395

>Legendary
>Uncommon

If I was the conspiratory type, I’d say WotC was trying to boost the number of people who’ll have exposure to this card...
>>
>>59217452
Point is that the next time you cast a thing with kicker, the opponent would take +4 damage
>>59217493
You're really out of the loop, aren't you?
>>
>>59208532
What are you wanting to run that's making it cost that much?
>>
>>59217532
4 x carnage tyrant most likely
>>
>>59217493
good thing you aren't and are instead just a smoothbrained potato
>>
>>59186082
>firstcomer advantage

you know dota predates lol by nearly a decade, right?
>>
>>59217842
He said Dota2 you stupid nigger
>>
>>59186082
>arena is a much better product than heartstone was at launch
how can you judge? arena hasn't launched yet
>unless we can all agree that mtg arena beta is nothing more than an exclusive early access game with only a few known bugs (visire of many faces -> regal cats producing [unknown tokens]) in order to produce hype while having the excuse for problems as 'its just a beta lol'
mtg arena will fall on it's face as it has no way to play with other people you wish to play against, it will be played for a week and dropped unless you are a hard core into mtg and have no lgs to play at and don't know the existence of mtg online
>>
File: maximum overoil.gif (151 KB, 186x244)
151 KB
151 KB GIF
>>59217432
>made a dumb B/W vampires deck
>refer to Mavren and Yahenni 'doing the Tango'
>people started getting on board with it and Yahenni is now not only a she, but Mavren's waifu
I will gender the shit out of whatever I want!

Also Gonti is not only a boy, but the best boy.
>>
>>59217432
>do prerelease draft for dominaria
>long time customer at lgs
>get hallar in draft
>seems good, gets lots of kicker cards too
>first round I get Hallar in opening hand
>oh fuck yes .jpg
>play on turn 2 because lucky llanamor elves
>turn 3 attack
"he swings in for 3"
>whole store stops whatever they are doing
>owner calls 911 for hate crime
>get my DCI number suspended and my entire physical mtg collection taken as reparation for my transgressions
>live the rest of my life in sensitivity training super jail
don't play elves this weekend
>>
I think we can all agree that Lorwyn was the best standard block of the new millenium.
>>
>>59218418
By playing the beta, unless you think the actual release will ruin the stuff that's OK and not fix any of the issues.
>>
>>59218418
I could never get into MTGO because of the fact it's obvious WotC wants to shut it down and I really don't want to spend $300 on digital cards for a single deck that will vanish the instant the servers are shut down.
>>
>>59219457
>Thoughtseize in Standard
>Tribal bullshit dominating the scene
>Lightning Bolt coming back and amplifying the power of tribal decks for 3 months
>Planeswalkers
No, we don't agree. Thoughtseize is a fucking awful card to have in a format with low-consistency like Standard and we had to see that lesson again in Theros; Thoughtseize should never exist in Standard ever and the fact Wizards brought it back for Theros is probably the most incompetent thing they've done to Standard including fucking up testing to let ban-worthy cards exist and the banning itself. Faeries in Lorwyn was Affinity levels of horseshit except all the power was pushed to Rare instead of Common. Lorwyn was also the first rollout of NWO which is evident in that most of the commons and uncommons sucked and whatever weren't were parasitic crap we don't really use anymore. I don't think anybody thinks fucking Planeswalkers were ultimately a net-positive to the game and the power of Ajani and Garruk even by today's power standards were ridiculous.
>>
>>59219875
>Lorwyn was also the first rollout of NWO
I'm like 90% sure that was Zendikar.
>>
>>59219912
>https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/new-world-order-2011-12-02
>Our goal with Lorwyn was to make the cards more straightforward.
This whole discovery happened during Time Spiral block. We looked around and realized that we were in the middle of making the most complex block we had ever made. There were almost as many named keyword mechanics in Future Sight, for example, as had existed in all of Magic up to Future Sight's release. Time Spiral block, though, was too far along to change, so we focused on the next block, Lorwyn.

Our goal with Lorwyn was to make the cards more straightforward. We wanted the rules text to be very clear in what the cards did. We spent a lot of time making sure their intent was simple and understandable, but as the block played out we discovered that we hadn't gotten rid of the complexity; we had just moved it to a different area of the game.
>>
>>59217842
>>59217928

Dota 2, up until 2-3 years ago, was just a straight up port of the original mod in Source engine.
>>
>>59217532
It's more that I just don't have anything.
4x ripjaw, 20 dollars
3x Rhonas, 24 dollars
4x steel leaf, 20 dollars
4x Heart, 8 dollars
4x deathgorge, 12 dollars
2x Scavenger Grounds, 10 dollars
4x serpopard, 8 dollars
3x Ghalta, 12 dollars
4x aethersphere, 12 dollars (mono red is a cancer in our locals)
so on.
>>
File: 19990423.jpg (76 KB, 312x445)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Scarab God is the #1 reason why Arena will fail. I cant imagine a less fun use of my time than playing against it.
>>
>>59220266
Might as well get it, you can still use the elf and rhonas in modern stompy if you like. I just dropped like 130€ to complete W/R Mettle aggro so I know the feeling, wasn't sure either.
>>
>>59220358
>weak to exiles which are everywhere in this block
>instaloses versus anything with W
>>
>>59220553
>cards design to btfo scarab god loose to rdw
>cards design to btfo rdw loose to scarab god
>>
>>59220584
Does Arena not have a sideboard?
>>
>>59220605
bo1 matchups.
>>
>>59220605
Games are still best of 1 in beta last I checked, but they obviously won't be that way on live so I don't get some of the bitching.
>>
>>59220615
Oh god playing multiple matches in arena sounds like hell.
>>
>>59220637
then hit the concede button
>>
>>59220615
>obviously wont be that way on live
1 round games can last up to a half an hour, do you think the average computer player has the time to devote an hour and a half to 1 game?
>>
>>59220654
They go a lot faster when both you and your opponent have looked at the keybinds to use shift-enter properly.
>>
So did they make dominaria intentionally shit just to push their scam format "brawl"?
>>
>>59220685

It has some interesting additions to the current meta, but unlike the past sets it doesn't seem like its going to bring any new decks to the table.
>>
>>59220662
>they go a lot fater when both you and your opponent have looked at the keybinds to use shift-enter properly
that's not the point, a legitimate strategy if they are going to do 3 rounds is to initiate 'slow play' in the hopes of your opponite just conceding so you can get the win
>has made esper deck filled with life gain and gy reshuffle into library on arena just to test how long a game can go for, I have yet to hit a 'time limit' like they do in hearthstone
>>
>>59220685
>no support for brawl play at lgs
>make up a format no one is playing
>make it up so arena can appeal to commander players without actually introducing the commander card pool

really makes you think
>>
>>59220685
Dominaria has some interesting cards but I don't like the direction they are going with buy-a-box exclusives. Hopefully this is going to be the one and only time they do something like this.
>>
>>59220654
Then play a casual match. Ranked matches should be Bo3 so meme decks don't run rampant because "lul no sideboards."
>>
>>59220769
Didn't they say they won't add brawl to arena or something like that ?
>>
>>59220794
>meme decks can't exist with Bo3
approach of the second sun would like to have a word with you
>>
>>59220791
Dunno, feels like there's more garbage than usual and this spam of legendary literally who creatures makes it even more annoying.
>>
>>59220654
>>59220794

Arena will have BO3 matches has the competitive side of it, it will also keep the BO1 format with special rules (such as the AI drawing you 2 hands and choosing the better one based on your land count in the deck) and it will be the more casual format.
>>
>>59220842
Some of those legendary cards are pretty neat, pic related for example. Karn is another decent card. I might just build b/w historic/knights or something silly like that.
>>
>>59220791
Everyone yelled at them over the buy a box shit. Nobody was happy about it.
>>
>>59220358
Arena will fail for a variety of reasons that all contribute to the fact that Arena will be said to be functionally inferior to paper and MTGO. This fact will be repeated to anybody who plays Arena and unlike typical shitposting on the Internet, it will be actually true.

Some portion of players new and old to the game will play Arena. But those people are the same people as the people who play Duels. They're either ignorant to other aspects of Magic and wouldn't play it otherwise or they're just pure addicts who will do anything Magic related. The point is that Arena will be AT LEAST as successful as Duels. However, if we define success as "offering a pro-consumer alternative to Magic that rectifies certain flaws in MTGO and paper" it will be a fucking failure. However, because it's just a shitty Duels product, it will never be a failure to Wizards on account of the fact their goal isn't to allow this piece of shit to cannibalize the other parts of the Magic market. As players we want Arena to replace something and it won't, that's why we think it fails.

I don't worry about comparisons to Hearthstone or other online card games - Arena will only grow the marketplace for card games and it doesn't need to steal from Hearthstone to achieve what Wizards considers "success".
>>
>>59220791
old 'buy-a-box' promo has been for the past sets I can remember absoluly irrelevant cards; usually red, in any meta imaginable
>cows are still udderly irrelevant but it's at least a different card
>will most likely be cheap of how irrelevant it is
>>
>>59220889
>inferior to paper
No shit.
>inferior to MTGO
Fuck outta here.
>>
>>59220884
That's the point though, looks good in brawl but no chance ever it can compete in standard.
>>
>>59220889
I really hate arena design style for the cards but the client is doing ok, major flaws that will kill the game in less than a month into release are the fact that the economy makes the game unplayable, there's not sure way to get the cards you want for your deck and each booster gives you less cards than a paper booster, it's just a shit show, on top of that there's no sharding system and no intention of implementing one, so the cards that rotate out will become useless and those are cards in which you either invested time grinding or money.
>>
>>59220685
the owner of my lgs wants to do a limited brawl draft
>asks us to help come up with how it can be ran
>suggest that people draft and then afterwords pick a commander from a provided pool so people don't get screwed over by not drafting a commander
>all legendary creatues provided to choose from (even sunsong cows)
>not sure if it should be 1 ofs because of the high probability of seeing another card, but if you enforce the singleton rule it increases variance which is one of the points of commander
>missing a lot of 3 color pairs in dominaria so its being suggested that other cards from standard take there place or custom cards
>>
>>59221016
>fact that the economy makes the game unplayable, there's not sure way to get the cards you want for your deck
That's what makes it inferior to paper (and MTGO). I can drop an unreasonable amount of money and I'm guaranteed to get what I want. We can debate about how fucking horrible the prices are but the point remains "you can get what you want".

So what upside does Arena offer to offset that crippling flaw? Are we simply lowering the bar? They have no concrete release date for a mobile platform, which I consider the only upside that could possibly compensate for such a shitty economy. Are we going to dare presume that EVERYTHING else is going to go off swimmingly that mobile will solidify Arena's role as a player in the Magic product mix? We'll have to wait and see but we all know that there's other garbage coming down the pipeline.

I guess I'm just a bitch feeling that Wizards doesn't care about me anymore; or rational new players who are made aware of how paper or MTGO could be better if it wasn't for the price. We'll see how that strategy does for them even with all the loose idiot money out there.
>>
>>59221300
The upside is an interface normies can enjoy, quicker matches and the F2P model (which we all know it's not really f2p but retards swallow that shit in mass) that said I wouldn't touch MTGO with a ten foot pole either, so expensive for such an outdated client isn't acceptable either.
>>
>>59221300
They should just stop trying to get the hearthstone audience and focus on paper/updating mtgo already to be honest.
>>
>>59221177
>brawl draft
For what purpose?
>>
>>59221352
To me, exchanging money for a service/product is king. Right now I cannot imagine a greater THING to exist in business other than to have a consumer exchange money for a product they want. It's so fucking pure and it's been fucking depressing seeing lootboxes take hold; if it wasn't for the secondary market Magic would be a fucking dumpster fire. That's just acknowledging the secondary market serving a vital function, by no means is that a wholehearted defense of all aspects of it.

We'll see if their mass-market appeal strategy works. Like I said it's a massive uphill climb because even though Wizards has Reddit and the pro players in lock-step, the typical player that the would-be Arena player meets in real life is going to fucking be shitting on it non-stop.

>>59221468
I don't think they're stupid enough to put significant focus on pulling the Hearthstone audience. There is a minor effort but even fucking Wizards can't be so fucking retarded to think it's money well spent courting Hearthstone players. They'll emulate the interface and whatever else but the expectation that there will be a Hearthstone migration is utterly delusional. Magic can easily carve its own space and a part of the money, they don't need to compete with Hearthstone, they just need to sucker new players into choosing them over Hearthstone, which they can easily do. You put Arena on a shelf next to Hearthstone, some portion of the players are going to be taken in by the "serious" look of Magic and choose it - that is the strategy and their advantage; Wizards only has to present itself as an option.

The problem is that once they have a player's attention, they FUCK THEM and give them no protection from the clear and obvious criticisms that take a massive shit on Arena. There is so much baggage in Magic and Arena does nothing to mitigate those facts. Players will choose Arena and they won't have time to get addicted before a shitstorm hits them square in the face.
>>
>>59221511
he thought it be fun
>new format hype
>different spin on draft
im tasked with trying to figure out how it can work
>>
>>59221511
a major problem I can see happening is 'who ever drafts the best commander wins' archetype
>shalai(g/w)
>lyra
>torgaar
>arvad
just because the nature of limited is to have limited amount of removal having the commander that is strong by virtue of having it may autowin games
>>
>>59208613
What's wrong with being white?
>>
>>59222102

The same things that made WotC kick the white male characters out of Dominaria
>>
>>59221468
They can't really 'update' MTGO because it's SUCH a shit show. The core client/server structure is not only from 2002, but it was buggy even then. Basically it's a non-stop parade of patches and niggerrigging to get it to work. IIRC a while back someone who was a dev for WotC mentioned how hilariously spaghetti MTGO is — absolutely no one wants to work on it.

The only way to 'fix' it is to start from the ground up, and coding all the various possible interactions in such a massive card pool is a massive undertaking in of itself. Everything (mostly) works in MTGO, so it's good enough.

I really don't know why they didn't use Arena as a platform to rebuild MTGO. They pull in so much fucking money off people drafting and sealed and competitive players have the chance to grind out games with decks before events.

Because people can't use Arena to test real decks, and because they would face so much shit by simply shutting down MTGO, they've maneuvered themselves into a position where they're competing against themselves. Maybe they figure none of the competitive players will bother with Arena, I don't know.

As it stands, Arena's economy is horseshit and they're not going to have any player retention since by the time anyone gets one deck together, it'll rotate.
>>
>>59221808
Better idea: Just have everyone crack one pack of Dom and whatever legend you get, that's your Brawl commander, no takebacks.
>>
>>59196665
Everything you do in a given game must be instructed per game rules. You can't reveal cards without the game instructing you to do so (unless you're playing casual and who the fuck cares if you show what you have in your hand then?)
>>
File: rats.jpg (24 KB, 223x311)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
anyone figured out how to build rats yet?

this feels like the most straight forward way to build it, but i bet it's nowhere near competitive.

20 swamps
34 rats
4 bontus monument
2 secret salvage
>>
File: 123123.jpg (11 KB, 188x269)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>59224148
*nothing personell, rat*
>>
>>59187658
>from Theros up till now
Khans of Tarkir was super fun for a draft. Maybe you can play a couple of winston games from a display, shouldn't be an expensive box.
>>
>>59223321
not all packs will have a legendary creature
>all packs have a legendary card, not necessarily a creature
even if that were true, what if two players are in the same color pair in the pod?
>>
>>59222475
>Maybe they figure none of the competitive players will bother with Arena
This is most certainly going to be true. Nobody within the community played Duels although I can't know what kitchen table players did. Like Duels, Arena is entirely a casual version of Magic for people who don't want to have to keep track of going to a store, buying cards, or navigating MTGO. It's the version of the card game without the hassle.
>>
>>59224206
yeah i thought about that.. not sure how you deal with it in mono black
even harder to deal with in mono black is lost legacy
>>
File: rix-18-radiant-destiny.jpg (213 KB, 672x936)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>59224345
Play WB rats and run your own Ixalan's Binding or Decomission
>>
In a sense, I'm aware that sets of Magic have over 100 different cards, but whenever I think about cards from a specific set, I usually think of maybe... 10.
Getting all these packs to open in Arena has really enlightened me to just how many bad cards there are in a set, like so bad I wouldn't even want them in a draft deck. Nothing like grinding for a few days to get three packs full of utter bullshit.
>>
>>59224337
What makes that line of thought interesting is they've said they want streamers et al, so they can have an 'e-sport' similar to the stream crowd for Hearthstone.
But if there aren't any competitive players, because they're all on MTGO, then who is going to stream?
>>
>>59224407
Correct, about 90% of the cards of each set are useless.
>>
>>59224337
>>59224447
If HS can be competitive so will be arena but that depends entirely on WotC prize support, internal tournament formats etc.
>>
>>59224447
I think we have to be careful about presuming all pros play on all platforms. I think we can say that there will be pros who play exclusively on paper, MTGO, and soon, Arena. And among the pool of pros, some number of those people will jockey to be THE premier Arena streamer because Twitch dollars are real dollars. There's money to be made, someone will do it; and if that means grinding the fuck out of the economy to have all the cards first then they'll do that if the Twitch money is there (and it often is).

Sure, maybe current Magic streamers will think they're too good for Arena. But that doesn't exclude anybody from seeing there's an opportunity to earn Twitch dollars and taking advantage of the tens of thousands of morons who watch Magic GP coverage. If you think about how fucking shitty and vanilla official GP coverage is, you can easily imagine someone just being more entertaining by just being charismatic.

There's opportunity; someone will stream. And they know if they're receptive to putting Wizards' dick in their mouths they might get a job down the road.

Hell, now that I talk about it, I ought to jump on that gravy train.
>>
>>59224407
I wish they'd realise that people want to play with strong cards.
>>
>>59224655
Given how ban-happy WotC is, I'm sure they'd be more than willing to ban a 'colorful' streamer.
I'd also be willing to bet that every pro and GP grinder level of player has an MTGO account and makes use of it.

That said, with the current economy, it's incredibly difficult to grind your way to better cards. Your first four wins of the day are the most important, after that, you could win another 50 games and see maybe one or two rares, if that.
I just don't see Arena turning out any differently than Duels or the myriad other attempts at an online version of magic have been.
>>
>>59215974
This can't be real.
I understand if the character does that in the story.. but bluntly saying "WE CANT BE SUBTLE WITH OUR POLITICAL AGENDA" is just bad.
>>
>>59224813
Well they are certainly in their right to ban whomever they please for no reason or poor reasons. It is their platform after-all. There's no reason why they should give someone access if all they're going to do is shit on the product and/or undo all the money you're spending marketing this horrible piece of shit. Even if you're going to bitch about freedom of speech or expression they're under no obligation to respect that as they're not a government.

I forgot temporarily that the economy is grind-proof and there's no trading. Can't pay for cards you want, can't spend time to earn the cards you want.

I mean that's all I'd do; I'd just sit there, play the game on autopilot and just bitch incessantly about the state of the paper and MTGO game and spout armchair pseudo-economic theory. Won't swear, won't name names, won't witch hunt. I've cried and bitched everywhere including emails to Wizards, this just might be my last option to do it.
>>
>>59225028
I'd be banned instantly because I have a sense of humor a lot of normalfags find offensive.
Within five minutes of streaming I'd call the other player a cock sucking nigger and then get banned.
Oh well.

Banning people for being offensive or saying things that are against their company line may be within their right, but it's also going to drive away a lot of people who would otherwise enjoy the game, but don't want to deal with the politics.
>>
>>59224838
While yes I'm sure it's a political agenda, if they handled the shit right, it could make for an interesting story that explores an alien culture. Instead they hamfist it worse than a first-time DM setting up his magical realm.
>>
>>59198518
whats uw auras looking like?
>>
I really want to put some sort of Metalwork Colossus build together with these things. Throw in cheap artifacts like Prophetic Prism, Treasure Map, Renegade Map, etc and maybe even throw in a Herald of Anguish, Zahid, and Antiquities War for some backup wincons.

Of course the biggest road bumps are just getting blown out by Abrades or getting my ass just run the fuck over by Hazoret but whatever.
>>
>>59225697
U could try esper god pharaos gift, some guy at my lgs ran it with metal work colossus, hope of girapur and marionetta master besides the usual gpg shell. It was quite interesting.
>>
>>59225991
*you *marionette masters, think I had a stroke while writing this.
>>
>>59225991
Maybe, get value from GPGing Marionette Master and other artifact creatures then sac them to return Colossus. Having to GPG a Colossus sounds pretty bad though
>>
>>59225697
>>
>>59226069
Gpging a marionette master and sacrificing the tokens to return a metalwork colossus and draining for 8 seems pretty neat and I mean you only have to gpg metalwork if you desperately need a creature on board.
>>
>>59226173
Yeah, it's a definitely a build route to consider. GPGing back Contraband Kingpin or Glint Nest Crane doesn't sound awful either.
>>
They printed quite a few goblins in dominaria. What are the chances they print even more goblins and at least one lord in the next core set?

I want to be prepared.
>>
>>59226191
Pretty high, think they're waiting a bit with the goblins because of RDW's big prevalence in the standard meta.
That, DOM's design space is already very crowded and we just had an entire block with tribal-focus.
>>
I want to play aetherflux reservoir storm again, and they just printed a new cheerio in the new mox.

What are some other cards that should see play in this deck?

Staples:

Glint-Nest Crane
Ornithopter
Aetherflux Reservoir
Inspiring Statuary
Paradoxical Outcome
>>
>>59220376
Top bro, path of mettle is doing wonders for me at my lgs.
Best feel ever when someone knows straight up they are gunna lose something when they swing with all their fat ass gearhulks then you tap 4 for that settle and their face just sinks into the tilt zone.
>>
>>59226920
Yeah it's pretty great. I feel like path to mettle is pretty underrated and people don't realize how quickly it can flip, the deck also performs pretty well at my lgs.
>>
>>59226291
The current monored decks aren't going to change at all. Every single red card in dominaria is garbage-tier for a monored aggro deck. The RRR goblin could see sideboard usage, but only if token decks become commonplace in the meta.

When Kaladesh and Almond Cat rotate, I don't see another aggro deck being feasible. WotC hates aggro - I'm pretty sure monored aggro becoming a thing again was a complete mistake on their part.

>>59226920
>all their gearhulks
What?
The only decks running more than two are UB control, and those sorts of decks also have field of ruin. If they're in a position where they're swinging out with their hulks, they're also probably in a position where they're going to win and/or should be countering the settle.
And if you're playing settle, that means you're a white-focused deck splashing red.

>>59227712
Path isn't popular because the manabase doesn't exist for a two color aggro deck, so you wind up with a monored deck that splashes white for path. The WR checkland might help a little, but running the check also means you can't run a full set of four fast lands.
>>
yup White in Arena continues to be as obnoxious as my initial observations held
>>
>>59227772
I mean there is also the W/R fastland in kaladesh, 4x fastland 2 - 4x checkland should be enough. I don't splash white exclusively for path, I'm also testing the R/W 3/3 Dino and some sideboard options.
>>
>>59227772
>the manabase doesn't exist for a two color aggro deck
i think you might be retarded!
>>
>>59227915
That's the thing, you can't run 4x fastlands and 4x checks or else you're going to have a very high chance of the checks coming into play tapped. Some decks can get away with losing a turn on a tapped land, but aggro decks absolutely cannot.
The dino is not good. Still dies to push, strike, etc, and being forced to attack is a massive issue. Adanto Vanguard wasn't bad, at least until people started using moment of craving more often.
The other issue with Path is that it's often an awkward play. Aggro decks thrive on getting an early board position, which path more often than not does not help to achieve. However, the mana acceleration is something to consider. A deck that's a little more midrange-ish would be better suited, I think. Chandras, glory bringers, bird, etc, but I worry about having so many RR spells in a deck like that.
>>
>>59228052
Yeah, I get your point. I am thinking about adding two glorybringers and I'm currently planning on playing chandra as a fun-off, however I have only seen the deck being played so far and not played it myself. I'll test and then adjust, if I don't have fun with it I can still convert it to mono red.
>>
What was the last time you actually traded one of your MtG trading cards?
>>
>>59228782
I don't bother with trading because everyone is a turbojew.
>Oh jee anon I can't trade that to you because my cards are $20 and yours is $19, don't you have anything else for a dollar?
>Nyeh
>>
>>59228782
My friend and I are trying to sell our shit. Like Collective Brutality is 20-25 each, LGS would only give me 13 credit. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>59229318
Do you not understand how business works, anon?
>>
>>59228782
Yesterday I got a couple of rhonas off a guy for a spare chandra I had. Trading at my LGS is pretty common.
>>
>>59229565
I understand, that doesn't not make getting ~45 in store credit over 80-100 cash an acceptable deal to me.
>>
>>59228782
I'd sooner stab myself than submit to the trading environment. If my friends need a card <$50 and I'm not using it they can have it no strings attached.
>>
>>59228782
Last FNM, drafting and trading away things I don't need is the main way I get cards for EDH
>>
>>59228782
People at my lgs mostly don't have what I want so I'll usually just sell the cards, but I actually did trade last weekend.
>>
Dunno if I'm in the right place, but I have two questions:

What would be considered cheating in a prerelease? besides the usual

and, do we have some resources, some tips on this prerelease?
>>
>>59232548
>What would be considered cheating in a prerelease?
pretty much anything that would be considered cheating in any format. The big difference is all the cards you pulled are considered your sideboard.
>>
>>59186174
On the last update they said they're doing some very concentrated experimenting with bonus codes in physical boosters with the launch of Dominaria next week.
>>
>>59228782
Not since RTR.
>still newish to the game, only started in new phyrexia
>had a bice trade binder full of high value stuff fron the current sets
>people look through my binder, pull out $500 in stuff and offer me a cheeto dusted tree of redemption or some shit
>tell them to fuck off and have to sort everything back into the binder

Yea, not worth my time anymore. On the rare chance someone does have something I want, its usually in awful condition.
>>
>>59230302
Your friends should consider themselves lucky. I got back to mtg after 9 years and gifted my friends my collection, including two legacy competitive decks at the time, but they try to jew me when I try to buy shit from them to make me a standard deck to play with them
>>
>>59228782
a couple weeks ago I traded a scarab god and some other stuff I had on my binder for a foil ensnaring bridge
>>
File: file.png (717 KB, 488x680)
717 KB
717 KB PNG
Is Rhonas fight club viable in brawl?
>>
>>59235909
Brawl is a meme format and no one knows what's viable because no one with the mindset to figure that out will touch it.
>>
>>59236106
All formats besides Vintage are fucking memes.
>>
>>59236106

>figure it out

It’s literally just Commander but with a Standard card pool.

That’s it.
>>
>>59221511
>For what purpose?
>why would a store owner ever want the have another way to take money away from people?
Geez, I don't know.
>>
>>59237495
>brawl is ment to be played in 4 player pods
says on the brawl rules page that it is advised to play the format with more than just 1v1 this changes what kind of deck you play drastically as you want to use more wide/defensive/ramp/combos/value/draw/tutor more than single target removal and playing 'good stuff' and the ability to play the player a bit more than 1v1 where you bluff or don't bluff the fact that you 'got the answer'
>>
>>59237495
>T1: llanowar elves
>T2: jadelight ranger
>T3: spore swarm
>T4: song of freylise+carnage tyrant
green stompy is gonna be good, might splash blue/black (good dual lands) to add muldrotha and the crazy frog
>>
>>59210963
its for new players. new players dont like the win condition of second sun control so they buy the others because hurr durr big monsters.
>>
>>59224085
You can totally reveal cards from your hand during the game. And you can reveal cards from your deck before the game begins.

Source:
See Tournament rules section 3.12
>"(...) Players may choose to reveal their hands or any other hidden information available to them, unless
specifically prohibited by the rules."
>>
>>59240568
Well. Guess I'll just shut the fuck up and go ball up in a corner of ignorance.
>>
Newfag here. Wanna buy mtg to play with my brother for a start. What is the best purchase for a beginner?
>>
>>59240785
Get yourself some challenger decks, if you also thinking about playing competitively. If it's just for fun, Commander Anthology seems to be the right choice.
>>
How big of a problem will he be in standard? And does Affinity want him in Modern?
>>
>>59241009
Someone is going to mess around and check his viability, might want to wait and see.
>>
>>59241009
Dies to abrade
>>
>>59241009
Too slow for modern, but he will definitely see standard play in stompy midrange decks.
>>
>>59185121

Why is Magic Arena so shite? Where is mah draft?

Do they really think they will attract "actual" new players with this kind of economy?
>>
>>59241125
>7/7 trample for 4
>when mox opal/amber are on board
yeah sure, anon, playing him T2 is not good at all
>>
when does dominaria become standard legal? my store is having a standard event on apr 27...
>>
>>59241279
I think it's the Friday after prerelease weekend, so the 27th is when it would become legal.
>>
>>59241242
How is Amber tapping for mana?
>>
>>59241242
Amber will not see play in Affinity, though you could in theory put one of the other Moxes in to replace a land. But that seems counter intuitive.
>>
>>59190772
I'm hoping build one, I want to UR wizards with the uncommon wizard legend as the commander. I'm going to need to be able to bound stuff, but there are enough effects for that.
>>
>>59241242
>mox amber
>in affinity

No. Affinity runs 0 legendary creatures. Except for that one list which runs one hazoret in the sideboard.
>>
Thoughts on my Naru Meha wizards mono blue combo deck I've been theorycrafting?

15 Island
4 Memorial to Genius
4 Zhalfirin Void
2 Search for Azcanta
3 Deep Freeze
2 Baral's Expertise
2 Naban, Dean of Iteration
4 Naru Meha, Master Wizard
2 Karn, Scion of Urza
4 Siren Stormtamer
4 Champion of Wits
2 Trophy Mage
1 Commit/Memory
3 Supreme Will
4 Release to the Wind
1 Kefnet's Monument
2 Bontu's Monument
1 Oketra's Monument

Sideboard:
2 Wizard's Retort
2 Unwind
4 Tempest Djinn
4 Merfolk Trickster
1 Deep Freeze
1 Nezahal, Primal Tide
>>
>>59241922
>>59241694
>>59241423
>wat is Karn
I'm playing MtG since 23 years and you guys feel like noobs
>>
>>59242701
Turn 2?
>>
>>59215974
lmao
i'm all for making everyone feel included but this doesn't come off the way they want to..
>>
>>59242701
Karn is colorless, colorless is not a color, Mox amber only tapps for colors of a legendary pw or creature.
>>
mono green is looking solid af.
>>
>consider unstable basics
>3 dollars each x20
Haha, no.
>>
>>59215974
next extension, white will be the color of bad guys (vampires), and black the color of good guys (knights)
>>
>>59242907
its looking pretty op, t3 ghalta is looking realistic to do consistently. was gonna jump back into standard with goblin reprints. but with all the ramp and big bois for cheap, imma buy some green guys before they go up.
>>
>>59243072
take a look at the foil prices, they're kinda retarded too
>>
>>59243072
honestly better off buying the boxes. youll break even on just lands, have a better chance of a value foil, and have a unstable cube to build.
>>
>>59243129
>>59242907
too bad that ghalta is legendary
T2 T3 ghaltas would be exciting
>>
>>59242701
>playing since 23 years
>not knowing that colourless is not a colour

Jesus Christ, am I being baited?
>>
>>59217493

Yeah, so weird to have uncommon legendaries in a "legendary matters" set.
>>
>>59241009
metalwork colossus is a better 'fat artifact' because it can come back from the graveyard and can be cheesed out and used easier
>>
>>59243417
theres removal to worry about, splash red for fling, helm of the host is funny, and brawl being a thing too. green stompy.
>>
>>59220605

They have a sideboard in the game, but all matches are bo1, so it's irrelevant right now.
>>
>>59243553
I bet that you'll change your mind after playing it
>>
If I go to a Dominaria prerelease or release even that is sealed or draft I'll only get Dominaria boosters right?
>>
>>59228782

last tuesday I traded an abrupt decay for some cards for my commander deck and 7 bucks.

He also got the decay for his G/B reanimator commander deck.
>>
>>59241009

"On your end step, I cast abrade on Atraxos, destroying artifact."
>>
>>59243961
I believe modes are chosen before targets, faggot.
>>
>>59243649
well I have played grixis treasure artifacts with storm the vaults and metalwork colossus was a great card because it goes well with bunch of artifact rocks to get your artifact count up like prism and prying blade and ornathopter
>4 mana 7/7 is fine but isn't sticky enough for my tastes to be the winning card when stuff like metalwork colossus has the return from gy ability
>>
>>59243864
Yep
>>
>>59243864
>6 dom boosters
>each booster contains 1 legendary card
>get 1 promo rare
>get 1 promo legendary
>>
>>59243577
>have ghalta
>cast second ghalta for GG
>fling first ghalta in response
>>
>>59245669
you have to hold priority to do that
>>
>>59244113
That’s why you find a way to give it hexproof
>>
What do you guys think of Grixis Improvise? It's like Grixis Goodstuff, but plays Servo Schematic, Walking Ballista, Maverick Thopterist, Herald of Anguish, and Tezzeret the Schemer.

Access to the best colors for removal and counterspells (Metallic Rebuke is bonkers) as well as ways to stem the bleed of aggro and easily kill Hazorets (Battle at the Bridge) is amazing

Weaknesses: huge guys and hexproof guys. It loses to bug/snake decks pretty badly, but it SMASHES U/R gift, aggro decks
>>
What exactly are pre-release events? What should I do to get into it?
>>
>>59247216
The weekend before a new set goes on sale game stores hold prereleases which are casual Sealed tournaments where people get to play with the new cards early. You always get six booster packs plus a promo card (for Dominaria you get two) to build a 40 card deck with plus any amount of basic land you want.
>>
>>59247250
Sounds neat. So I guess to participate I must buy this pack in store or what?
>>
>>59247322
Yeah, find your store and ask when their events are and how much they're charging. Should be $25-35.
>>
>>59247341
Got it. Also, should I as a beginner consider buying anything else beside this prerelease pack?
>>
>>59247533
Sleeves, maybe? You can't use any outside cards in a Sealed game.
>>
>>59247555
Ok, thanks for the answers, famalam. Good fortune to you
>>
>>59247533
If you're just getting into mtg and plan on returning and playing standard, considering getting one of the new challenger decks.

Also sleeves, obviously.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.