[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

A thread dedicated to Clerics, Paladins, and other characters who serve the gods, holy or otherwise, alongside the gods themselves, saints, or demigods.

To get the ball rolling, have some prompts...

Post and describe any gods, saints, or idols you have made or used for a setting or game.

What are some stories about faith-driven PC's you have?

Describe the culture of a fantasty church of your choosing.

How does/should Divine Magic work?

What are some good tenants/laws/commandments for Clerics or Paladins?

Does your faith effect the afterlife you recieve?

How does one 'Balance' magical healing in a setting geared towards low-fantasy?

What is the difference between Arcane and Divine magics?

And anything else that fits the bill for description of the topic.
>>
Quick question, I have the basis for a craftsman/protector god down for a game i want to run, but I also want him to get shafted into ALSO being the creator of most of the worlds monsters, what's a good way to justify/explain this?
>>
>>59718021
What if monsters are his rejected creations, but another god set them loose on the world?
>>
>>59718070
Now there's an idea...
It gels better than my original idea of him just getting pressured into it by the other gods...
>>
What the hell, does /tg/ not like these kinda threads anymore?
>>
>>59718495
The majority of the ones than didn't like the state of the board have gone already. Now ERPlayers, magical realmers, shitposters and /pol/sjw are all than rest, that or they only post in the generals.Don't count with moderation too, that's the board they want.

About the question, I use spirits and Faes as proto-gods than the people revere for some magic or help in a more direct way,the demiurg is the only big god than can play still in the mortal world, but at the moment he is doing other stuff, and the majority of gods can only effect the world with mortal agents. Lots of the gods I have are simply reharsh or the ones I like from different myths,Glorantha lifterd and Dominions Pretenders than I rolled.
>>
>>59717310
>How does/should Divine Magic work?
It should be goal oriented and bound by conditions, like asking your god for help defeating a particular group of enemies but that help may be revoked early if you do something wrong or deviate from your mission
>How does one 'Balance' magical healing in a setting geared towards low-fantasy?
You could make it so that magic doesn't heal the wound but rather temporarily alleviates penalties from being wounded
>What is the difference between Arcane and Divine magic?
Divine magic should work within the boundaries of the world, it makes things better/worse but doesn't really change their nature. Arcane magic is all about breaking the laws of nature and changing things.

Obligatory IMO obviously
>>
>>59718021
- he created the monsters and protects them like they're family (a courtesy that may extend to believers), but he doesn't really care about the wellbeing of others. He's just that selfish or isolationist.
- he has spoiled his monster brats rotten and can't bring himself to say no to them, no matter the atrocities they commit.
- the monsters are incomplete projects (they lack souls or heart or empathy or a conscience or whatever) and they escaped before he could complete them.
- the monsters were commissioned by another god (like the god of war)
- The God is only indirectly responsible for the monsters because they used to be good guys that got twisted evil after their creation. Like a curse, spreading corruption, or maybe it's only the offspring between those beings and some other race that created the current race of monsters (a nephilim kind of deal).
>>
>>59718021
He created wondrous beings to impress the goddess of beauty, but god of mischief corrupted them into the monstrous evil creatures they are today. Now craftsman god is stuck with the blame and loss of stature
>>
>>59717310
>Arcane Magic is done by manipulating the flow of energy between realms, with the mortal realm being in the center
>Divine Magic is done by channeling energy directly from a gods personal realm, this can only be done with faith, will, and being properly ordained by a related church
>Druidism/Shamanism is done by calling in favors from native spirits or channeling the power of life around you
>>
>>59718615
Where did they run off too? /trash/?
>>
>How does/should divine magic work
The way I do it is pretty good, and I personally like it much better than the traditional D&D style clerics. I run GURPS with a combination of Divine Favor and a Covenant system I made myself. Divine Favor is nice in that it literally is praying for divine aide. You roll a reaction roll vs your god, modified by things like leading a congregation, having holy artifacts, doing an extended ritual, being in peril, etc. You can either ask for a general miracle ("Lord help me, I'm being pursued by zombies! Save me!") or a specific one ("Lord help me, I'm being pursued by zombies. Smite them with your wrath"), with the general being easier but out of your hands as to what happens. You can also get Learned Prayers, which are basically pre-approved miracles you can do without even needing to ask, so long as you stay in good standing with your god.

Covenants grant special,passive powers or minor abilities in exchange for making an oath/vow to keep a certain commandment or proscription. Covenants don't require you to be a member of the clergy or even a practicing member of the faith. You're just limited to one covenant if you don't have a spiritual patron.

>Does your faith effect the afterlife you recieve?
Only kind of in my setting. Everyone reincarnates, but your morality and spiritual affiliation determines where you go between reincarnations. In the end, almost everyone goes back out into the mortal world eventually.

>What's the difference between Arcane and Divine magic.
For me at least, they're completely different fields. It's like asking what's the difference between sociology and genetic engineering is. They're both "science" in a really broad sense, but that's about it. The exception being warlocks, shamans, and other pactbinders. Their magic is fundamentally the same thing as priestly devotion, though none of them would like to admit it
>>
File: PRAISE.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
From my setting, maybe some of it will be useful

>Post and describe any gods, saints, or idols you have made or used for a setting or game.
Choose :
The people who worship the titans they live on. These absurdly tall monsters are meek and secrete abundantly both plants, water and minerals humans need to survive. Plus, their height is the only thing that keeps people above the black mist and its demons. Without them, there could be no life.
Then, the pure solar cult who worship the divine light that keeps the mist away. Indeed, it is only when its light is blocked that the mist rises and the demons come to feast on mortals. Without the light, the mist would take over the world and there could be no life.
Some worship the archmages, who ripped chunks of rock from below the mist and the black ocean, in order to build themselves vast countries to rule over. This practices, however, brought the hatred of the two aforementioned cults upon them, for when a titan wanders below these floating countries, the light gets obstructed and the night comes for its people.

Nobody knows. You pray really hard and sometimes, beings of intense light come to your help. Or a fountain sprouts from nowhere. Sometimes you pray really hard and nothing happens. Depends on.
There is definitely some logic going on there. Some people manage to anticipate or provoke such occurrences with disarming regularity, and acts of selfishness are never backed up. Good luck understanding the pattern, though.

>What are some good tenants/laws/commandments for Clerics or Paladins?
Have only a handful of (if any) clearly recognizable rules set by the god. There are miracles, but everything is up to interpretations. The gods may be generally good-intended, but they are eldricht AF, and to communicate truly with one is not something you can come back from.
So, perpetual quest for the will of their god for the true believers, and petty machinations for the upper clergy.
>>
>>59717310
>What are some stories about faith-driven PC's you have?
Funny enough I think the closest I have had to a faith driven PC in any of the games I've run was "generic preacher man", because every time a divine class/archetype would come out that had flavor text of not needing to be religious one of my more boring players would insist on using it for that archetype and then loosely preach Christian philosophy without acting on it.
That was back when we played Pathfinder though.
Have had a number of PCs who were kind of thrust from their polytheist views into having to revere one above all due to divine fuckery, but I don't really count that since that's plot motivated.

>How does one 'Balance' magical healing in a setting geared towards low-fantasy?
If you mean a more gritty setting, I would look at how WFRP2e does it, where healing spells tend to be really swingy in terms of output, ones that save someone from death's door have to be done with haste and only sometimes work, and if someone is passed a certain injury threshold they only heal 1 no matter how powerful the spell.

>What is the difference between Arcane and Divine magics?
I've been debating this for a while given the fact I'm working on a homebrew system. Ultimately what I've ended up deciding on is that while the arcane will focus on spells and effects with variety and versatility to impact the world, the divine instead have more passive effects from being a good follower/worshipper, and what few direct/active spells they have will very directly affect life (or unlife), through healing, harming, and some minor manipulations.
>>
>>59717310
>Post and describe any gods, saints, or idols you have made or used for a setting or game.
My favorite I've made is probably the goddess of happiness, fulfillment, and the hearth. All about protecting the right to pursue good hearted satisfaction with life. Also she’s Santa Claus.
>>
>>59721484
How fantastically comfy!
>>
>>59717310
Basically there are two types of gods: the ones who are incredibly intelligent and wise, who have an immense understanding of the universe; and the ones who are dumber than a fucking goblin, who basically accident their way through their divine lives.

Both ends of the spectrum unlocked the secret to becoming a god at some point in their mortal lives: to be a god, you must believe with all of your being that you are a god. To do this, you must either have such a transcendent understanding of the universe that you realize that belief is all that is necessary for divinity, or you must be so incredibly stupid that you believe you're a god because you literally do not know any better.
>>
File: Pantheon.pdf (91 KB, PDF)
91 KB
91 KB PDF
>>59717310
Here's the pantheon for my iron-age sword and sworcery campaign.
>>
>>59721548
Yeah she’s basically the comfy goddess; she was born after a fledgling society banded together to weather a monthlong blizzard. Even brewed up a Cleric Joy domain for her followers. It lets you Dispell Fear and Charm from your allies and reflect it at those who inflicted it, sense the emotional state and alignment of others, create an extradimensional resting place with a roaring fire and leftover food to rest in safely, and summon her sleigh to move things and make a quick getaway in.
>>
File: aesma.png (127 KB, 550x712)
127 KB
127 KB PNG
>>59721556
>To reach godhood, you either go full Hansa or full Aesma
Pretty nice desu. But your setting must be a shitfest with these almighty goblins roaming around
>>
>>59721704
Fuck, I need more comfy minor gods centered around a traditions. Send in your other gods, you seem like an inspired one
>>
File: columbia-calls1.jpg (2.27 MB, 1200x1608)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
>>59721788
Haha, unfortunately the others are a lot less original. It's my first setting and I'm heavily taking things from 18th and 19th century America, which it's based on.
Columbia is the most major goddess, who's focused on justice, westward expansion, and prosperity. She's based on the country personification of the same name. Ellista is the goddess of freedom, choice, society, and cities. She's based on the Statue of Liberty. The one I mentioned above is Usonia, and is part of the same trio but was born later. As a group, they're based on the rights of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness as mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.
Pretty much all the others are D&D apdaptations of American folklore and historic figures. I have a Half-Orc John Henry expy that out-mined a gnomish artificer's creation, Molly Pitcher is a Halfling woman who invented a Greater Alchemy Jug and put it to great effect in the war, and Old Scratch roams the country's crossroads, gathering souls for Mephistopheles (golden fiddles possibly involved).
Sorry to disappoint, I guess I started off strong with my most original one!
>>
>>59721988
>Worship of American icons
Fucking love this trope.

I would unironically worship these or the founding fathers.
>>
>>59721716
>But your setting must be a shitfest with these almighty goblins roaming around
The evil pantheon is primarily composed of the retard gods, since most stupid creatures that would willingly believe they're a god despite not actually being a god do so out of an insane superiority complex. There are two "smart" evil gods, one of whom plots to rally the multitude of retard gods under their banner to tip the tide of the multiverse in their favor (so far, they're only kind of succeeding, since wrangling retarded gods is like trying to ).

The good pantheon is smaller, but since almost all of them were scholars and philosophers in life, they're better equipped to handle the tide of the stupid divines.

So yeah, it's kind of a shitfest, but it's a manageable shitfest.
>>
>>59722088
The founding fathers are all part of the royal lineage of bald eagle Aarakockra!
>>
>>59717310
All magic is manipulation of the energy that exists in all living things. Divine casters form a contract with their deity where they exchange the observance of certain taboos and offerings of their energy for miracles.
>What is the difference between Arcane and Divine magics?
Arcane casters project their energy to manipulate the world directly. It's less efficient but you don't have to give up bacon and avoid mixed cloths or whatever.
>Does your faith effect the afterlife you recieve?
Nah, everybody gets reincarnated the same way, it just takes longer for some. Being an asshole dirties up your soul more than being nice so it takes way longer for the Queen of the Dead to distill your soul. Being trapped in the bitter cold of Stasis while everything that makes you you is slowly stripped away is unpleasant even for those that get it over with fairly quickly.
>>
File: 1524986230613.jpg (171 KB, 969x545)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>59717310
1- im working on a pantheon of saints to flesh the sungod father figure religion. i think 12 would be a good number of major saints, and several small and weird ones. from demonslaying to breadbaking.
2- ive got a few short stories about an NPC druid who started a rebellion. some i think a kinda neat.
3- one of the churches in my homebrew setting has a large emphasis on family, blood and self sacrifice.
4- ive been toying with the idea of divine magic being more of a constant free thing. the god doesnt grant power to a person by piecemeal. it is all open available. what balances this is mental blocks. feelings of fear, doubt, shame, regret, hate, egoism, etc.
5- "remember the dead, but fight, for the living" miss you Hellgate ;_;
6- yes but not in the way people think.
7- limit amount healed, limit times per day, only works under moonlight, requires a sacrifice, heals but also debilitates, risk of it going bad some way.
8- divine is raw magic that is focused and shaped through a god and sent out to his/her followers. Arcane is channeling raw, undiluted magic.

anyone have a good idea for a shameful heretical secret curse that rests over a noble family?
>>
File: 1490030520639.jpg (316 KB, 1280x695)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>59718021
one option is to have him get superfucking drunk on ambrosia and warpdust and furing his blackout he crafts one monster after another.
waking up with a wicked hangover he now sees the bullshit hes unleashed, but his pride wont let him destroy them.

another way is that while he enjoys making such monsters, he knows they shouldnt be set loose. so he just puts them up on a shelf he has as small beautiful figurines.
bu then another god steals some of em and causes some mischief.
>>
>>59718021
What if it's the Dwarven god who was captured and tortured into creating monsters by the evil gods, and when he escaped he forged dwarfkind, sturdy, proud, and brave creatures into which he whispered the secrets and the desire to find and slay those horrible beasts?
>>
File: med.jpg (332 KB, 1024x768)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>spends an hour typing out a Deity idea i had but the 'field is too long'.

Damnit, good stuff on this thread though.
>>
>>59718021
You could make him a god of fire representing how is used in creation. Then give him a brother representing the destructive and transformative nature of fire.
Whenever the first brother had finished a work and started a new, the second would get his hands on it and either destroy it, change it or mold it with other creations.
>>
>>59717310

I've stolen the human pantheon from Guild Wars and inserted them into my Pathfinder setting, because I feel like Guild Wars 2 has really been misusing them, especially Balthazar.

>Dwayna
Air
Community
Healing
Sun

>Balthazar
Fire
Glory
Strength
War

>Melandru
Earth
Plant
Protection
Animal

>Lyssa
Luck
Trickery
Charm
Madness

>Grenth
Water
Judgment
Death
Darkness

>Abaddon
Void
Destruction
Chaos
Madness

Much like in Guild Wars, Abaddon's existence is largely unknown to most people, and Grenth is revered as much as the rest of the pantheon, with necromancy being seen as not inherently evil (although I do intend on establishing some rules/edicts on its usage, per a "fine in moderation" philosophy).
>>
Have a brother god to the creator god, who is a shameless plagiarist and thief. Kind of ripping off Tolkien a little with a fair addition of Droskar (coolest god in pathfinder pantheon).

Monsters are his "creations", stolen and imperfect versions of his brother's children.

If you are going for a more traditional fantasy appeal, the evil god could also be related to industrialization and automation, with heavy and unabashed focus on destruction of environment, pollution and creative machinery-inflicted limb loss.
>>
What's a good god for Sheep/and-or/Goat People?
>>
>>59726184
>just one
A shepherd
A shearer
A wolf
>>
>>59723692
How are you using Dhuum and Menzies?
>>
>>59726309
Nothing firm so far, but I've been likening to the idea of Menzies being worshiped by the more barbaric groups of the world (who hate the "civilized" empire for past conflicts), both due to his more brutal methods, as well as relating to his desire to usurp his more "civilized" brother.

Dhuum and his relationship to Grenth is largely unchanged, although there is no firm account on what race Grenth was before ascending. I might carry over the Terrible Trio pantheon as well, with Dhuum, Abaddon, and Menzies.
>>
>>59726856
what about Kormir :^)
>>
File: Forshame.gif (599 KB, 320x213)
599 KB
599 KB GIF
>>59726870
>>
Describe the Church functions and burial rituals of a god of your choice.
>>
>>59717310
When we're not doing the Delta Green game I run, we're doing a heavily modified version of the Quiet Year, in which we play gods shaping a world that we'll eventually a campaign in. We get what aspects we lord over semi-randomly(I.E. we can discover shards of divinity that have a realm like fire or war and then can use the suggested three aspects of it or make up our own). The first one I rolled was Sun(Light, Protection, and the one I added: Hardship). I then ended up finding Moon(Secrecy, Festivals, and Duality). I also ended up being the creator of humanity and held a fraction of Evil to keep it away the world, and when the god of War messed that up, I took away a portion of it(Indifference) into myself that has kept it kind of at least handicapped, as it isn't at full power. So they way I envision my god, Aubad, is a god of duality. His daytime avatar is very stern, resembling a large warrior in armor that's two bright to look at full on. His nighttime avatar is actually two beings that speak in one voice(they're opposites of one another I.E. short/tall fat/thin) that are pretty jovial.
>>
>>59723212
Go full Ranma on the curse and have any male children have spontaneous sex changes?

Maybe a curse that means on every full moon/month/eclipse/whatever they must engage in some massive orgy or a massive string of bad luck comes there way?

Make a curse that causes straight up schizophrenia to appear in the first-born child?

Any of these working?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (5 KB, 224x224)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>59723212
Members of the family occasionally collapse, only to rise as murderous, cultist Lunatics and perform ritualized murder before slinking away and coming back to their senses with no recollection of their deeds
>>
File: Rolf.png.jpg (108 KB, 446x891)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
I once played a Tiefling cleric of Chauntea named Pavel who was literally Rolf.
>>
PD best girl
>>
File: 1524175136489.jpg (502 KB, 1282x1648)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
>>59717310
How would you roleplay a worshipper/Priest of a god of Luck ( will admitting that god are indeed real and Can grant juicy favors).
An inconsiderate and dardevil man who is always sure that he will survive dangerous shenanigans?
A gambling addict who has been banned fromage every gameplace in the kingdom?

My favorite god is just a giant Spider who started to get really smart one day due to strange magical circumstances,a it long time before human appeared. He took a liking to upon them after being alone for millenias and he quickly mimicked their way of communicating and trading with each other; will he is not a membre of the original pantheon, he quickly became à worshipped figure by merchants and diplomats. He is quite friendly but only grant (trade) his magical silk in the most appropriates circumstances to not ruin economy
>>
>>59734313
The god of luck sees any mortals worshiping him as trying to game the system and specifically ignores them. He gives favor to those who don't think they're lucky at all.
>>
>>59735562
Especially those who don't believe in luck at all.
>>
>>59735619
>>59735562
Making one’s own luck by researching and preparing for the worst beings about the greatest fortune.
>>
>>59734313
I can only help but imagine a folk-story where a kind-hearted merchant gets robbed on the way to the big city, and loses everything he had on his pack animals. As he limps towards the city he comes across a man sitting on a sand-dune, eyes closed.

The merchant notices the man is shaking and obviously ill, and despite his hardships cannot in good conscious fail to offer help. He lifts the ill man on to the back of one of the animal and continues on, resolved to spend what little money he had on medicine for the stranger. When he arrives to the city, the guards stop him, asking what he is bringing to the city, the merchant stops, perplexed and answers 'I'm only helping a man I found in the desert. There is no need to stop me.'

The guard turns the man around and asks 'Then what's all that?'
The merchant's jaw drops, instead of a sick man in rags, each of his animals are laden down with Godsilk.
>>
I'm new to DnD and I don't really understand the cosmology. So evil gods hang out in Acheron, while devils chill in the nine hells and demons live in the abyss, but Asmodeus for example is listed as a devil and a god. Also what kind of minions have the evil gods? Do they also use demons or do they have corrupted celestials? The Monster manual just seems to focus on the minions of demons and devils in that regard.
>>
>>59737185
Thats a nice little tale, I'll keep it in mind.
He is clearly my favourite npc that I created, I really should develop the rest of the pantheon though
>>
>>59728671
>>59731318
i appreciate the input but the sexual aspects of them doesnt really fit.
it is a very religious house, famous for paladins, and i imagined the curse as something that would facilitate the need for pilgrimage to keep it at bay.
something easily held back, but once free, will spell ruin and destruction for the house.
>>
>>59740181
>Requires a pilgramage
Would a monster hunt work?
>>
>>59718615
I don't want to believe you.
>>
>>59717310
The seven deities that make up the pantheon my setting's humans brought together to form a religion that could help unite the more civilized races are:

>Econa
Domains: Water, birth/rebirth, change, selfishness, androgyny, and children.

>Avniel
Domains: Fire, the sun, reproduction, passion, progress, and youth.

>Yadra
Domains: Wind, parenthood, self-sacrifice, harvests, tradition, maturity, and death.

>Valda
Domains: Earth, conservatism, purity, restraint, sovereignty, and the dead.

>Mithra
Domains: Law, penance, servitude, order, and bonds of all kinds.

>Liber
Domains: Dreams, inspiration, merriment, freedom, and madness.

>Maniel
Domains: Secrets, unwanted truths, divination, illusion, the moon, and mischief.

Avniel and Maniel are twin brothers, born when the nascent universe dreamed of something other than the nothing that was. Yadra and Valda are also "twins" in that they were originally a single goddess - Wodlara, elder sister of Econa.
Other intelligent races have their own god(s) like the Naga and their Mother Manasa, a continent-sized albino snake supposedly locked in deadly combat beneath the earth with a demon lord with blood of molten stone, but they're not recognized as divine by the clergy of the Seven Gates.
>>
Here's a god/religion I made for an upcoming
5e campaign. I have a few more pantheons and groups.

Onkhura; The Eternal Spirit, Master of the
Flame, Voice of Truth, The Maker, The Source (Worshipped primarily by humans)
Domains: Light, Life, Protection, Knowledge, Grave
Symbols: A flame in a brazier (bright white if in color), the runes that spell Onkhura’s name, a halo of light around a humanoid head.
Some Basic Tenets/Info
Foster the Flame Within
Learn the Truth in holy books and secular knowledge.
Feed your passions in a healthy, and safe way.
Pray and meditate frequently, preferably in front of a blessed flame.
Think positive thoughts about others and yourself. Do not judge a man for choices you might have made, and do not hate yourself for slipping.
Refrain from committing sins, and do not let pleasures become vices.
When you do sin, confess before your temple’s flames and let them be burned away.
Foster the Flame Without
Participate in civic life as a positive example, whether lay-person or clergy.
Share your wealth with those less fortunate, no matter how little or much you have.
Attend religious services and ritual observances frequently.
Share the Truth with others, that they may have their Inner Flame enkindled.
Actively work against forces of evil and darkness in the world. With your words, good deeds, and by the blade if necessary
Treat even the most wretched with some kindness and mercy.
Taboos:
Images of Onkhura, beyond showing Their flame or Their influence, are forbidden.
Use of Onkhura’s name to promote injustice or division among mortals will only lead to the user being burned.
Necromancy is strictly forbidden, and all undead should be cured or destroyed. All necromancers must be prevented from raising the dead again.
Attempting to snuff a flame that has been blessed by Onkhura can open one up to the depredations of dark forces, as you turn away from Their light.
>>
>>59748582
Dagnabbit, forgot bullet spacing doesn't carry over. I might have to tidy that up.
>>
>>59718021
>what's a good way to justify/explain this?
Why would a god who doesn't bother with moral or ethical issues care whether or not his creations get along? Maybe he created things like illithids and wendigos for the same reason that he created Solars and Devas - because he wanted to. You could even run with the idea that his creations were generally limited to form and that their respective alignments and tendencies are generally the results of other gods of the setting getting their hooks into them. Obviously a mind flayer is still going to predate on other sapient life but the god that made them might just think that that was an interesting design feature and that's the full extent of his concern for how they interact with everything else. Likewise, he probably wouldn't care if some of the other toys in the sandbox got together and wiped his mind flayers out - he can always just make more of them if he feels like it.

Alternatively, the creator God makes things for the sake of craft at the behest the other gods, who are somewhat limited in this capacity. The god of war might want orcs and bugbears and whatnot, the cthonic god might want dwarves and purple worms, the god of nature might want animals, the god of magic might want magical beasts and artifacts, etc. and these are the powers who give a shit about how they all interact while the creator god just keeps puttering about at his divine workbench.
>>
>Saint Maria
The idea behind her was basically have a saint who was about joy. About making others happy, spreading good fortune and fun

Why be sober when you could be drunk?
Why let someone wallow in a corner when they could be enjoying the party instead
Make fun of people in good hearts and let yourself be made fun of.

She's basically all about partying, drinking, sharing great tales of the past, friendship and that soft of stuff.

Basically it's to counter the "I sit in a dark corner of the tavern" stuff. You can't hide from people and brood in the darkness if I bring someone bright and cheerful to that corner
>>
>>59726184
The rock, the thicket, pasture, clear water, and stagnant water.
>>
>>59749708
Saints and historical figures are a fantastic way to flesh out churches.
So what church is Saint Maria related too?

>>59749559
Both of those are excellent ideas.
>>
File: Lathander.jpg (51 KB, 400x431)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I made a small religion for Lathander when I played a Cleric.

Daily Schedule
>Followers meditate at the rising of the Sun on the question of ‘What good
can I do this day?’ individually at their homesteads.
>Followers will go about their day slower than others, always looking to
make sure they’re improving and never holding themselves to one art.
>>A merchant might not work in the arts, but if he can help support
them he will. Regardless, a merchant might focus more on the task of
providing his services every day the sun is out and to improve on
each new sun rather than on improving his creativity, but his
downtime might be more related to the arts than a merchant that
worships Tyr.
>Followers make sure to stay outside during their work day to keep track of
the sun, attempting to use the most of their mental energy in the day
during Noon. This will be when most followers attempt to have their
downtime so best to honor the Morninglord.
>Followers discuss at the setting of the Sun on the question of ‘What good
did I do this day?’ with their families or close friends. Alternatively, this
can be done at the temple.

Formal Religious Duties
>Lathander holds an equal tithe to all followers believing that a central
authority is important for the religion, much like the individual flowers
would wither without a sun.
>Temples to Lathander provide food to the poor in an attempt to Feed the
World
>>Lathander is closely connected to the Agriculture Dieties and
maintains good relations; farmers might follow both Lathander and
another God(ess)
>Marriage is important; every Sun needs a moon for it to rest while the other works.
>Work ethic is important not in the quantity or quality of the work, but in
the amount of virtue while doing it
> Missionary work is not needed; the Sun does not walk into your door but
rather lets you come to it.

cont.
>>
>>59752152
Sorry the formatting got messed up. Copied from a PDF.

Events
>The Meditation on every day
>>The evening discussion is lead by a different clergy member every month. The first week of every Month is done by one of the 4
Dawnmasters, and the next two days are led by Dawnlords, and the next 3 are led by Dawngreeters. The first Dawnmaster also holds the
title of Dawnbringer and helps to set the goals for the month, and the Dawnmasters after are responsible for the week. Again, centralization is not frowned down upon by Lathander.
>Summer and Winter Solstice is when new titles are drawn in communion with Lathander. The voting is extended only down to those who have been with the Temple for three or more years. You gain an Arcane Sigil on an area not necessarily exposed, but is easy to show when needed, and the sigil is based on years with the Temple, if you care enough for it.
>>The Summer Solstice favors those with higher energy, and Winter favors those with a more strategic mind. The Winter Solstice is also when the Lathander followers might speak more with other religions, like those who follow Selune.

My DM's awesome and made the daily ritual a plot point.
>>
File: Rizzik ref.jpg (219 KB, 1155x692)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>59717310
Wasn't the DM, but I've asked him if I can make a god up for my paladin and he said go for it, but he wants to review it, can you guys tell me if this sounds alright?

Rizztik of the Deeps:
Domain: Lizardfolk god of Rivers, Darkness, Guile
Idea: Since i've got a Lizardfolk Paladin of the Oath of Treachery, I wanted to try playing it in a way that wasn't just "He was a bad paladin" I wanted to play a paladin that's good at a bad job. So the Lizardfolk of a large island in the southern seas have a minor god that the less powerful Lizardfolk worshipped to bring them sneaky plans to ambush and eat shore-bound beasts, travellers, and enemies without using the brute strength of their brothers and sisters. Because, as a minor god, he looked for a lot of worship, he used his powers of, well, just basic intelligence and planning, to give these lesser lizardfolk the plans they were looking for, and in return they devoted part of all their kills to him. Rizzik got smarter, the lizardfolk got smarter, the lizardfolk got more kills, Rizzik got more sacrifice and more worship, until eventually his cult dominated entire tribes and eventually the entire island, with even the stronger lizardfolk learning basic planning and strategy because of how useful they were. Eventually this worship made Rizzik into a major god, with daily rituals, sacrifice, a new priest caste and all the perks. It also mutated the Lizardfolk so they were more adapted to the water, and looked more like crocodiles (Was going for a Sobek type look). Nowadays the Lizardfolk are barely between basic tribal life and actual civilisation, they're pretty barbaric if you were a human but to the lizardfolk of the rest of the world and to basic tribes like orcs they seem pretty advanced.
Worship: Rizzik likes sacrifices, tributes, basically anything you can give him that a lizardfolk would like. He has a devoted priest caste that make daily sacrifices of the beasts of the isle. 1/2
>>
>>59752379
2/2
He wishes his followers to embody his ideals, so his paladin are all very sneaky, and do not hold much stock in fighting and dying for your beliefs, because Rizztik would be more interested in you getting away, because it's smart. So his paladins have a sort of hit and run tactic, hence why mine is an oath of treachery.
>>
>>59737537
Depends on the edition and the setting desu, d&d's cosmology is all sorts of ass backwards half the time. I'm sure some of the splat books from older editions explain it better. But to my knowledge, the gods all use some form of angel/celestial unless otherwise stated. Asmodeus is an ascended devil who became a god, much like vecna was a lich, and I believe reading something from 4e of an angel who becomes a god. There's also the fact that your dm, or yourself if you are as such, chooses their own cosmology

>Tldr, all gods use some form of celestial unless an exception occurs, and some gods were other creatures before godhood.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.