[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: thezteam.jpg (3 KB, 258x195)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
Worst Away Team Edition

Previous Thread: >>59629744

A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy
-Official Gale Force Nine Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://startrek.gf9games.com/

Star Trek: Fleet Captain
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>https://wizkids.com/star-trek-fleet-captains/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Modiphius takes down links for the ST:A core book and expansions. Look in the archives or ask someone to send it to you via discord. Or... you know... buy the rulebook(s).
>>
>>59719390
So, if you could change one faction's aestethics and general "style" what faction would you choose and how would you change them ?
>>
>>59719514
Starfleet. Give them Babylon 5 Earth Alliance uniforms. Have them admit that they are a military institution but with heavy emphasis on police and exploration work.
>>
>>59719514
Make the Romulans into "Metal Gear Solid in space". Sneaking suits for uniforms, and emphasis on gadgets and tech to make up for lack of numbers.
>>
>>59719514
The Terran Empire. I get that the whole thing is supposed to be over the top but the way it's run it would collapse almost immediately. I'd probably have it be more like a police state or something, maybe a bit like the Terran Federation from Starship Troopers.
>>
>>59719514
Ferengi.
I'd make them a less jarring Nerd race, and make them considerably more alien. I've always felt that they were too silly, and too similar to the other officious dick race from TNG (name escapes me, but the ones who loved strategema).
I'd make Ferengi like D&D's Aranea, human/spider type creatures who love to weave, expand and entrap in webs (literal and figurative). Keep the capitalism, but play up the hoarding aspect, the continuum is now a web and not a river, and their stereotypically lame combat prowess is now tempered by psychological terror in undisciplined mammal troops and advanced weapons/logistics.
>>
>>59719514
Q.
Make it so their standard appearance is them with a Mariachi Band
>>
>>59719514
>Starfleet
Less generalized big ships and instead, use small fleets of smaller specialized ships and crew.

>Vulcans
What's with the robes? How are robes logical? They get caught on everything and you can trip easily in them. Give them sciency body suits or something.

>Nausicaans
Why are these guys even in space? Make them less idiot muscle that are stupid enough to throw darts at eachother. Make them a race divided into competing, highly trained PMC's. Keeps their muscle for hire theme but makes them worth the money by making them competent.

>Betazoids
Drop the sex fanatics part of their culture that was put there because Gene. They read minds as casually as you read this post, they should be the ultimate info brokers and spies. Put in some colored contacts and they're easily mistaken for human. Put them everywhere.
>>
>>59720232
Based mariachi poster is based.
>>
>>59719949
>Reminder that the TF is a democracy with constricted franchise, not an autocracy
>>
>>
>>
>>59721331
I sense great anger from this post
>>
>>59721267
Strategema is the truest expression of the martial arts. Fuck that other, shitty, game.
>>
>>59721267
I see Nintendo is still rereleasing the same century-old game again, and Kolrami is a hipster weeb for still using clunky wired controllers for that 'retro' appeal despite the better options available.
>>
File: 2 dimensional thinking.gif (1.04 MB, 400x169)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB GIF
>>
>>59720392
Reminder that they got in a war with stone-age insects who live in outer space and still got Earth bombed from orbit.
>>
>>59724040
Reminder that the movie was shit, and bugs were a tool using spacefaring race in the books.
>>
>>59724040
But was it really the bugs that fired that rock?
>>
>>59724111
Why wouldn't it be?

>>59724059
Reminder that the books were written for children, by a guy who thought morality was instinctual and all instinct was above question.

If Heinlein were alive today his twitter would be covered in #MAGA #TCOT #PALEO #INCEL shit just like every other fat, bald, shut-in American.

This is a guy who'd set up a conservative Tumblr just because he thought it was worth his time. He was not a smart man.
>>
>>59724188
You've never read a book, right? Is this some kind of new meme? Do you have brain damage?
>>
So, how 'bout that Star Trek, huh?
>>
>>59724188
>Why wouldn't it be?
It's suggested in the book that the Federation fired the rock themselves as a pretext and justification for total war against the bugs.
>>
>>59724296
>posting about Star Trek in /stg/
Minifigplz
>>
>>59724296
Have the Romulans ever had a plan not blow up in their faces? They come up with all these over-elaborate schemes and they never work.
>>
>>59724407
>Have the (television show bad guys) ever had a plan not blow up in their faces? They come up with all these over-elaborate schemes and they never work.
>>
>>59724407
It seems like they get shit done against the Klingons. Though I suppose it’s not fair to count manipulating them as a success.
>>
>>59724381
I don't think that was the book, the book had the bugs as an actual threat, there was no need for pretence because they were clearly smart enough and capable enough, hell they could even make treaties and the like and work with other species as was implied by the opening action of the book being to violently dissuade the skinnies form associating with the bugs.

The film however, being a satire of propaganda films, yeah sure, very easy to believe that the rock was a self-inflicted thing to justify another war.
>>
Would the dominion war have been more interesting if the federation had competently fortified the wormhole exit instead of spending 0 resources?
>>
>>59724583
What about the cartoon?
>>
>>59724595
The entire point of the self-replicating mines was that they couldn't fortify the wormhole through other means because the Jem'Hadar could either bypass or blast their way through. It'd be a waste of resources. Following the recapture of the station they didn't need to worry about it because they had sufficiently advanced godlike aliens blocking the wormhole for them.
>>
>>59724651
Woulda been fun to superscience the mouth of the wormhole into a star or something instead of vague time shenanigans and literal deus ex machina saving the day.
>>
https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/05/the-dismal-frontier
>>
>>59724651
>waste of resources
How is that even possible in a society that has replicators and matter energy conversion?
>>
>>59724255
Do... do you honestly think that book was written for adults?

Have you ever seen an early edition? It's a children's book, anon. Full of simple themes by a loser who wanted to fill children's heads with his politics because god damn nobody was buying into his PUA novels and the bank was about to foreclose on his raw-meat men-only restaurant and it made his inner eagle sad.
>>
>>59724702
>matter energy conversion
Replicators don't do that, though. They recombine matter into a new form. I'm actually not sure that the Federation has matter-energy conversion outside of experimental tech and that's even iffy. Not sure that's even possible in Star Trek.
>>
>>59724758
Except for those self replicating bombs. Those were some fucking magic.
>>
>>59724687
"Supersciencing the mouth of the wormhole" would've been even more of a deus ex machina than the Prophets.

>>59724702
First off, replication works mainly on small scales. Anything bigger than an industrial replicator still needs to be constructed by hand, not to mention all the raw material that needs to come from somewhere. Second, you're still missing the point: there was nothing Starfleet could've done other than superscience bullshit that the Jem'Hadar couldn't simply blast their way through.
>>
>>59724805
>there was nothing Starfleet could've done
They had literal years to prepare. Point enough phasers and photon torpedoes at the wormhole and you can make it ruinously expensive to try and invade.
>>
>>59724791
Yeah, those were fucking magic and honestly annoyed me. I guess you could say something like "they absorbed interstellar hydrogen as it drifted past them" but that's a pretty big asspull.
>>
>>59724827
>Point enough phasers and photon torpedoes at the wormhole
And you get a massive fleet of expendable test tube babies making a beeline to wreck your shit. The Dominion doesn't give a fuck about "expensive." They have reserves.
>>
>>59724827
Not an issue for the Dominion. They'll literally just pull a Zap Brannigan and get the Federation killbots to shut down with wave after wave of their own men. That's... kind of the Dominion's entire military strategy: wave after wave of Jem'Hadar will eventually solve all problems.
>>
>>59724860
Ships are inherently more expensive than stationary platforms. Warp engines are gigantic relative to the size of the ship they're attached to. The platforms don't even need to be manned. Add to that the dominion has to come through a single point, known well in advance.
In all of trek, this one situation gives a ludicrous advantage to the defending side, and the feds wasted it.
>>
>>59724906
You know the Dominion can just send projectiles through the wormhole, right? Hell, that was one of the arguments in the self-replicating mines scene: conventional mines wouldn't work because the Dominion could just blast them from the other side. Presumably they could do the same thing with stationary weapons platforms. Just program a bunch of extremely high-yield warheads to home in on the platforms and send out a flood of them. Can't shoot them all down, and they only need to succeed once.
>>
>>59724407
>>59724488
Most likely it's because Starfleet tends to come at them from oblique angles with unpredictable asspulls from their wondertech multitool ships, while the Klingon's closest thing to tactics is "cloak, get a better angle, decloak, shoot, cloak."
>>
r8 these upcoming ships /toy/ doesn't have a dedicated Trek thread
>>
>>59724791
It would have been funny if they were just fakes sitting out there, and the Dominion just assumed that the Federation's claims that they were replicating mines was true because of their space wizard engineers and never tried challenging them.
>>
>>59724971
>>
File: Eaglemoss_128_OV-165.jpg (26 KB, 740x525)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>59724991
>>
>>59724936
That argument runs both ways. Nothing stops fed platforms from firing back.
You don't even need to make this side of the wormhole impregnable, you need it to cost the dominion time and resources to overwhelm.
>>
>>59724971
>hurtstolive.jpg
>>
>>59725004
>>
>>59724991
The fuck is this?

>>59724971
Absolutely beautiful. I want ten of them. Best girl is best.
>>
>>59725027
>>
>>59724971
Eaglemoss having to put out something other than the STD abominations then?
Might get that one, I think I could convert it to the conventional triple nacelle layout and it'd look way better.

>>59724991
No.
>>59725004
Might be nice as a miniature for some 6mm sci-fi stuff?
>>59725027
I do like the old painful buttplug space webshooter, but not enough to spend money on it.
>>
>>59725029
>The fuck is this?
It's from Spock's Brain, the ship the big-titted chick uses to steal... Spock's brain.
The CGI effects version, though; the original was just a generic rocket ship prop.
>>
>>59724971
>Niagara Class
No fucking thanks

>>59724991
Jesus they’re really scraping the barrel.

>>59725004
>>59725027
Alright these I might consider getting.
>>
>>59725063
That's some obscure shit right there. I even like and rewatch Spock's Brain from time to time and I had no idea. How deep is Eaglemoss going here?
>>
>>59725077
They're going ALL the way. But their ships are so high-quality for what you pay that I love touching and looking at even the extremely obscure ones.
>>
>>59724693
Interesting enough read, if a bit obtuse. Touches on a lot of the main criticisms I’ve heard levelled at the show; poor character development, total abandonment of the Utopian Star Trek future and betterment of humanity, grimdark edginess in place of thoughtful philosophy and a continual level of genuinely terrible writing.
>>
>Mirrorverse Data doesn't have a beard

Such wasted potential.
>>
>>59725096
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Official_Starships_Collection
Some of their ships are hit-and-miss (usually the ones that only had a physical model made, so there were no CG turnarounds to reference) but most are 90% screen accurate.
Pic related, one of my personal favorites.
>>
>>59725012
Again, refer back to where the Dominion does not give a single solitary fuck about losses. The Federation is nothing against them. It took the combined forces of the Federation and Klingons two years plus black ops bringing the Romulans into the war just to deal with the Jem'Hadar expeditionary force already in the Alpha Quadrant, along with the Cardassians who were irrelevant. It was repeatedly driven into the audience's head that the Federation was absolutely undeniably fucked if the Dominion was able to bring anything more than an expeditionary force into the Alpha Quadrant, and it did in fact literally need a miracle to save them. The Federation, even backed up by the Klingons and Romulans, cannot throw down with the Dominion in a test of resources. The Dominion has more, can replace losses faster, and has almost no qualms with getting into a war of attrition.
>>
>>59725153
Hoping they have it in stock again eventually because I really want one.
>>
>>59725192
they've been out of stock of all the #30-#50 issues forever now on the US site
>>
>>59725077
Did a ship get mentioned? Did said ship get even a sketch? It's getting made. They've even done multiple versions of some.
>>
>>59725261
They fucking made THIS, and it's actually a really nice model.
>>
>>59719514

The Borg. Basically they look mostly the same, and are still a terrifying post human hive mind, but they've woken up with the equivalent of a massive hangover and are really really sorry about everything and trying to clean up some of their messes.

The idea is that the events of Voyager triggered a civil war between individual Borg, the hive mind that was suggested in Best of Both Worlds ("Your primitive cultures are authority-driven", seriously, the Borg back then saw the Federation as authoritarian), and a new Voyager-style collective centered around a Borg queen where the drones were so heavily suppressed they can't adapt to anything they haven't assimilated. The old school collective wins, but the collective consciousness also gets all the memories of what it was like to be on the receiving end of the Borg Queen's policies.

Now they're trying to be the Federation, except a) they're still mostly an inhuman incomprehensible force who thinks in terms of civilizations rather than individuals and b) if they get a trace of the Borg Queen on a planet, they will heat the planets surface until it boils, throw the boiled planet into a sun, and collapse the sun into a black hole.

Which doesn't exactly endear them to their neighbors.
>>
>>59725303
>if they get a trace of the Borg Queen on a planet, they will heat the planets surface until it boils, throw the boiled planet into a sun, and collapse the sun into a black hole.
To be fair, that's a completely reasonable reaction to the Borg Queen.
>>
>>59725290
This too, the 1987 Ambassador class concept before they realized that building a complicated, curved model for maybe one or two appearances wasn't within their budget.
>>
>>59724188

Heinlein also wrote a story about a transgender time-traveling secret agent who was their own mother and father. He doesn't map cleanly onto any modern political orientation.
>>
>>59724991
what IS that thing? A trekified Heart Of Gold?
>>
>>59725338
I wonder how finding a diaspora of Species 125 somewhere would play out. Would they join the Federation for protection? Remain independent?
>>
>>59725368
If "liking weird shit" was a political affiliation, I'd sign the fuck up.
>>
>>59719514
I would make the Bajorans more like the ponytail snackbars from ENT; I feel like DS9 really soft-pedaled their religiosity. They kept bringing up the religion and how important it was and yadda yadda yadda but we never really saw anything more extreme than a bombing, a martyrdom and an execution over a caste violation that everyone was horrified over.
>>
>>59725338

Oh definitely. But try explaining that to the people who owned that planet and kept a lot of their stuff there.

It's a "The dog may have rabies but people are going to be kind of annoyed if you shoot it in front of them with no warning" type of deal.

Also if you're an techno-zombie looking mofo who's tech seems based on "evil green glow" there's not a lot of trust to begin with.
>>
>>59725368
Late-period Heinlein definitely can't be slotted, partially because the Free-Love movement or whatever didn't up having cultural legs,. But you can absolutely slot Starship Troopers Heinlein and Moon is a Harsh Mistress Heinlein.
>>
>>59725562

Even then. The main character of Starship Troopers is from a wealthy Filipino family. It's easy to miss, but Starship Troopers is very racially integrated. IIRC, Rico's sergeant was named Jelal, which is an Arabic name. I'm sure there are others.
>>
>>59724860
>>59724887
Between a cloaked minefield, stationary emplacements and a fleet, the Dominion would still have had a hell of a time with it. It took them months of study to come up with a solution and it's not like something could just slip through the wormhole unnoticed.
>>
>>59725807
The Changelings are fond of reminding solids that they have endured for millennia and don't care how long it takes to find a solution because they will find it and will conquer you in time. They are implacable. You cannot stop them through conventional methods, only delay the inevitable.
>>
>>59725900
sic the borg on them
>>
File: 8MfPeC5.jpg (406 KB, 2000x1143)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
Orville has a schedule now; Unfortunately it won't be along until Sunday December 30, then moving to Thursdays for the rest of the 14 episode season.

Still, that should be a nice start to the new year. Thursday night football is to blame for the later start apparently, here's hoping they use the extra time to do... something of benefit. Better ad campaign, tie in some merchandise (I want model ships damn it), that kinda thing.
>>
>>59725807
>Between a cloaked minefield, stationary emplacements and a fleet, the Dominion would still have had a hell of a time with it.
How? Seriously, how? Go back through the episodes and find every example of combat against the Jem'Hadar at that point. There is literally nothing that can be done against them in a straight-up fight without massive amounts of bullshit on the side of the good guys.
>>
>>59726036
>massive amounts of bullshit
like a cloaked minefield, stationary platforms, and a fleet all focused on attacking a single point of contact?
Because that's the sort of scenario military grognards salivate at.
>>
>>59726132
Military grognards don't have to deal with a massive implacable fleet who can outgun you per ship, outman you, and are genetically programmed to suicide without question if it means taking the enemy out with them.
>>
There's also the fun thing that the changeling infiltrators were already on the alpha quadrant side of the wormhole by the time the idea of having to do more than beef up DS9 was even an idea.

That could easily fuck over the kind of giant project building a stationary defence grid would need. The minefield dodged that because it was cooked up by 3 people in an office and didn't need industrial replicators to produce.
>>
>>59726182
Of course it wouldn't work forever, but it would still be quite effective for a good while.
>>
>>59725931

I had an idea for an AU story along those lines. Basic question is "What was the Borg originally interested in?" A: "They have species volunteering for assimilation. Seriously, check it, races just throw their biological and technological distinctiveness at the Federation!"

So the Borg win in Best of Both Worlds, and Locutus announces "You will recall ships in this order. We will link their computer cores to the collective, place an observer for the collective onboard, and upgrade your sensor systems. You will then continue your current activities, unless the collective should dictate otherwise". The Borg just want the Federation to keep on seeing out new worlds, to discover new life and new civilizations. They just want the Federation to do it in such a way that the Borg get all the intel.

Locutus then goes onto explain that if the Federation is unwilling to serve as the collective's scouts and diplomats voluntarily, they will take it apart, world by world and mind by mind to see how it works so they can try and build their own.

Ultimately the Federation knuckles under, because nobody is really willing to risk utter annihilation when the Borg demands seem to put them in a position to rebel at some point in the future.

The bulk of the story would be set in the Dominion war, which becomes less about a noble story of defiance, and more like being Polish or Lithuanian during WW2. Which empire do you want to serve, and what happens if you pick the wrong one? There'd be debate about weather the impersonal tyranny of being the Borg's sales and PR guys is better or worse than the cruel paranoia of the founders.

Also if I'm honest, more or less the entire point of it would be banter between a Borg Commisar and a Weyoun.
>>
>>59726205
The minefield and stationary emplacements go down in a matter of minutes. The fleet is then simply beaten down by a Dominion fleet of equal strength.

When it comes to "massive amounts of bullshit", we're talking along the lines of wormhole gods making the Dominion disappear, not anything within the realm of what the Federation is capable of.
>>
>>59726240
I think you're overestimating what the dominion could throw at the federation in a single battle. Sisko talked the worm hole aliens into evaporating a fleet of what, 9000 ships? And this was supposed to be a huge portion of the dominion's available forces.
Now, barring having gods fix their problems for them, the strategic situation the feds find themselves in absolutely forces them to deal with the wormhole if they want to force a peace. Either hold it or destroy it, but letting the dominion fight a war of movement in the alpha quadrant is a losing proposition.
Fighting a defensive battle at the wormhole is by far the best chance they have of bleeding the dominion enough so that whatever forces do manage to break through can be defeated.
'Hope for a miracle' is not a viable strategic plan.
>>
>>59726240
>minefield
This is provably not a thing that happens. Otherwise, it *would have* in the actual show (especially when they have unfettered access to it). Since it did not, we can safely intuit that it wouldn't here either. Please don't be daft. Yes, the Dominion would eventually win the war and break that kind of defense but it wouldn't be the cakewalk you make it out to be and you damn well know it.
>>
>>59726440
>And this was supposed to be a huge portion of the dominion's available forces.
No, it wasn't. That was just what was needed to resecure DS9. It wasn't just that fleet, it was the Dominion being able to send through even more reinforcements unchecked. Collapsing the wormhole probably should've been something the Federation should've seriously considered, but the Prophets made that a moot point.

>Fighting a defensive battle at the wormhole is by far the best chance they have of bleeding the dominion enough so that whatever forces do manage to break through can be defeated.
Does someone need to take a baseball bat to your head to literally beat it into you that the Dominion cannot be "bled"?
>>
>>59726581
>the Dominion cannot be "bled"?
Good to know those ships cost no resources and take no time to build.
More broadly, what you're talking about isn't a plan, it's surrender. If their forces are unbeatable, then fighting them in any capacity is lunacy. Obviously the federation didn't think the dominion was unbeatable, and in that context they really needed to do more to defend the wormhole.
>>
>>59726719
>Good to know those ships cost no resources and take no time to build.
The Dominion is large enough that those resources relative to what they have on-hand are negligible compared to the Federation.

>More broadly, what you're talking about isn't a plan, it's surrender.
There was an entire episode about this where the Federation decided to fight anyway.
>>
>>59726780
If you're fighting, fight effectively. A defensive battle at the wormhole offers the best price:performance ratio you'll ever see when fighting the dominion, so you want to force a battle there.
>>
>>59726719
The course of the Dominion War should strongly outline to you that if you wanted to Zap Brannigan/Imperial Guard the Dominion and choke them with your own dead then you'd be fighting a losing battle. The only reason the Dominion ever goes onto the back foot is because the worm hole is effectively sealed and the Dominion's supply lines are effectively cut off. And even then, that was not a be all and end all - if not for the Austism Posse figuring out that the Dominion wanted Planet X because they could harvest shit on it to make Sweet Lady White for super soldiers, then that may not have been a big deal.
>>
>>59726807
You do know the war didn't actually start until the end of season 5, and the course of the war went: mine the wormhole -> sabotage the station before leaving -> stuff -> retake DS9 to prevent them from fucking the minefield -> Bajor needs a miracle -> wormhole now a moot point.
>>
>>59726581

> Collapsing the wormhole probably should've been something the Federation should've seriously considered

They tried zapping the wormhole, but Founder Bashir reversed the polarity so it made the wormhole even more stable and they couldn't collapse it if they wanted to after that.
Then he tried to blow up Bajors sun to get rid of the station for even easier invasion.
>>
>mfw SoT is getting shut down for some new system/campaign
Even if the leaked announcement is missing details, this is great news. Now we won't have to deal with Geek & Sundry faggots trying to compare Star Trek Adventures games to "Sam the special snowflake and friends." Good riddance, I say.
>>
Hey people, are there any facts (either alpha or beta canon) about how towing a ship (or other object) at warp works? We have to tow a crippled B'Rel class ship back to the nearest friendly base, and our GM stated that this would take three weeks at warp 3 (we fly a size 4 ship with a normal cruising speed of warp 6 and high-end cruising speed of warp 7), stating that in order to tow at warp, the two vessels must merge their warp fields and warp 3 is presently all the B'Rel can manage without its dilithium crystals shattering. This would incidentally make towing a sublight craft or other space object like an asteroid at warp impossible. One of our players disagreed, believing that the warp engines of the ship to be towed in fact MUST be switched off to avoid either ship being ripped apart by shearing forces due to (presumably) interference from the two warp fields.

So what IS the word on this? Does anyone know? Personally I would've thought it'd be based solely on the strength of our own ship's warp field and we'd be slowed down somewhat (due to the ungainly shape of the warp field we'd have to generate and the extra mass, but not all the way down to warp 3, but I'm honestly not sure.
>>
>>59725801
They get trained in Hand to Hand combat by a Japanese guy, who uses judo or something to flip the massive drill sergeant over. Iirc, it's part of the "disable his hand" scene in the book, with the sergeant explaining that hand to hand fighting can still be relevant in a world of tactical nukes and orbital strikes, so you'd better know how to do it properly. I think there are some Russians too, but yeah. the Federation is supposed to be very diverse. Johnny also mentions wearing pretty jewelry, and mentions that it's pretty common for men to doll themselves up when going out on the town. So yeah, the Federation might be fanatical militarists, but they certainly aren't Draka.
I wonder if Starship Troopers is the origin of the Ultra-Diverse Space Fascists trope (I know the Feds aren't strictly speaking fascists, but you get my gist)? I'm personally quite fond of it. People of all colors and creeds working together seamlessly to CRUSH ALL THOSE WHO DARE OPPOSE THEM.
>>59719514
>Romulans
Emphasize Late Empire Space Romans + Stalin's Russia thing that TOS had going on. A mix of opulence in the higher classes, stoic militarism, and implicit paranoia. Everyone in the military wears body armor, even when they're in their personal quarters. Everyone who can be armed is. Overt displays of affiliation and loyalty are important. Helmets are worn by boarding parties. I especially liked the beta-canon about them wearing visored helms in combat, I might give them a slight predatory bird motif mixed with some elements to suggest roman parade helmets, though nothing too gaudy.
There should be something respectable, even heroic about them, that's undercut by the fact that the state they serve is utterly monstrous and in a constant state of self-cannibalization.
>>
>>59729544
Pure nonsense. The Stargazer didn't even have antimatter and it got towed around at warp.
>>
>>59729911
Okay, but is there any word on how much doing so slows the towing ship down (if at all)?
>>
>>59729971
That depends on how powerful the warp engines are rather than the size of the ship. A Danube can tow a Galor, a Galaxy can tow a large asteroid (or probably a Spacedock class starbase), but I've never seen a Klingon ship tow anything.
>>
>>59730009
>but I've never seen a Klingon ship tow anything
That's probably more cultural than anything.
>>
Did beta Canon ever do anything with the fuzzy borderland that apparently encompasses the Trill homeworld, the Orion Syndicate, and that crime planet where O'Brien went undercover? That seems like a place with enough mystery and messiness to drive a campaign or a novel.
>>
>>59730009
No the PC ship is Towing the B'rel.
>>
>>59729544
Personally Id go with the size/power of the warp engines and the power of the deflector/warp bubble generators. If its something like a galaxy class, towing the brel has no speed loss. if its equal to the brel, and the PC ship is like, a science boat or something with good defletorsystem/ warp bubble generators then the ships speed might take a dip but only by like, a factor. If its smaller, like a danube, towing the brel will slow it down considerably.
>>
>>59726215
You could justify that AU by having some bullshit temporal anomaly rebroadcast the Borg signal about Earth from ENT way back to the distant past of the Delta Quadrant, thus shifting the development of the Borg.

Actually if that happened, you'd see a very different Seven of Nine given how she and her parents wound up getting Borged. Seven versus Weyoun, perhaps?
>>
>>59725931
They have to have interacted at some point. I suspect that the Dominion are on of those factions that the Borg have in their “Later, when we have a lot more cubes” folder, same as the Voth, Undine and potentially the Federation
>>
>>59731816
I know it's Beta cannon at best but in the Star Trek Armada game the first mission as the Borg is to raid a Dominion Cloning facility to get the tech that is needed to recreate Locutus.
>>
>>59728880
Well, I'm glad that's over.
You got a source?
>>
>>59724296
whats the name of the artist or is there a blog where I can find all of theseß
(it seems my google-Fu is too weak)
>>
>>59729971
No. We know that it does affect the tower since the Enterprise didn't go at full chat while pulling the Stargazer but the exact details are fuzzy. I'd probably say that you couldn't exceed warp 4/5 without risking damage to the towed ship but that's just a reasonable guess.
>>
>>59730347
Unless it's a specialized Warp Tug.
>>
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10899073

>Jem’Hadar characters will all start at level 60
not sure how I feel about that
>>
>>59736547
>Yay, we don't need to make 1-60 campaign content!
>>
>>59725346
I think I prefer the final design: the original's secondary hull only looks good from the one perspective in the painting...
>>
>>59736710
I think if the nacelles were supported on pylons more like the Enterprise D's, so out a bit then up rather than a slightly curved wing shape, it'd work way better from more angles. As they are they really fuck with the lines for the same reasons the pylons on the Sovereign class got changed to swept back. Which could also work.
>>
>>59737545
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/bb8ef1ef-6463-4404-a7cc-5045418bb997/Ambassador-class-Starship-hybrid-WIP
>>
>>59737875
I think I prefer the squared off pylons like on the studio model
>>
>>59737875
No that looks worse.
Like either of these. Wide base (not needed to be as wide as on the actual model due to the extra hull width) with a short, right angle'd or slightly swept vertical.
>>
>>59720232
Seconded
>>
>>59732994
SoT's discord. It got leaked early and then they asked for it not to leave the Discord. But fuck that noise. The tumblr fanbase is already "gushing over Sam's nonbinary dinosaur" and other such nonsense.
>>
>>59724693
Pretty good but the insistence on Star Trek being about a socialist federation is goofy and disingenous, it's always been implied that it's some form of liberal-democracy and that it reached post-scarcity through the invention of new technologies, not fundamentally changing the way society is run. And I say this as a socialist. Also the bits about Michael Burnham and the gay couple being poorly written somehow implying the series isnt "actually" diverse is stupid. It is diverse which is good in Star Trek but that still has no bearing on the actual quality.
>>
>>59738691
>Sam's nonbinary dinosaur

Wut?
>>
File: Non-Binary-Dino.jpg (57 KB, 674x455)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>59738878
You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>59739087
Oh also they put out this PDF.
>>
>>
>>59736547
They stated that from the get-go. Basically they don't want to retcon them into earlier campaigns or build them 60 levels worth of separate content.
>>
>>59739103
>there might still be cameos of the USS Mary-Sue in the new show
Well, that's unfortunate.
>>59733416
Eric Colossal
http://kafkaskoffee.com/wp/?webcomic_post=01_startrek_allegiance-3125672
>>
>>59739103
This just goes to show how incredibly disposable STA really was to these people. It was nothing more than a fashion, to be worn and then discarded when its popularity waned. I'd expect nothing less from SJWs, but I'm just sad that this may hurt STA's prospects in the long run as these alleged advertisers give off every appearance of having cared so incredibly little for the game.
>>
>>59729546

I think Heinlein falls victim to something I've seen a lot. "Members of political group A, believe X, Y, and Z; This person believes X, therefore they must belong to group A, therefore they must believe Y and Z."

I mean, I can see why Verhooven, who lived under Nazi occupation as a kid would read Starship Troopers and immediately think "Fascist" on that logic.

I also really like your Romulans.

>>59730404

I was basing it on the Borg dialogue from best of both worlds, but that would work in universe.

Seriously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieR9AwnHyo

"Your culture will adapt to service ours... Your archaic cultures are authority driven. To facilitate our introduction into your societies, it has been decided that a human voice will speak for us in all communications. You have been chosen to be that voice."

If the Borg in "Best of Both Worlds" were just going to make all humans into Borg, then that dialogue is bewilderingly insane. If assimilation was something they did on the regular, then it probably wouldn't have opened a gaping security hole into their systems.

>Commisar Seven

That would be interesting. Though I'd slightly change the background. Rather than having magic shielding, Seven and her parents are just considered to be irrelevant. Again, going back to original recipe Borg, they were fine with having an away team beam aboard their cube from the Enterprise until the away team started shooting the place up.

It'd be fun if Sevens' parents thought they were hidden, but the Borg just flat out didn't care, until they tried accessing something that got the collective's attention. Then they get nabbed, the Borg realize, "Huh, these are new" and wire them in to get a sense of what they know.

They'd use Seven as a Commissar when they realize that they need something capable of understanding and dealing with humans in order to manage them without pointless wastes of resources.
>>
>>59742997
I guarantee that Sam played a huge part in them changing systems, despite what Eric claims. Eric nerfed her crutches, and Sam has been visibly annoyed that her broken as fuck sticks aren't powerful anymore. There also hasn't been a whole lot of opportunity for her to steal the spotlight lately, and doesn't seem like there will be moving forward. And as we all know, snowflakes like her HAVE to be paid attention to or they throw a fit.

The damage to STA's prospects has already been done. Just like with Critical Role and D&D, people getting into STA as a result of watching SoT are going to come in with tremendously wrong assumptions with how the game is run. Also if you didn't notice, SoT hasn't had a sponsor or a giveaway for several weeks. Modiphius and Star Trek Online jumped ship already.

What a smart anon could do is talk to Modiphius and see if they can pick up the title of the "official" STA game like what WotC does with their D&D channel.
>>
>>59744376
I'd argue that Critical Role represents what D&D should be in theory: focus on roleplaying and interesting group storytelling, players go on a grand adventure without being Mary Sues, and the dice fall where they fall whether people like it or not. The group was one clutch Counterspell away from a TPK, and coming back from the dead had actual storytelling consequences. DM houseruled some fun stuff, but he and more importantly the players had not problems nerfing it if it got too OP.

Meanwhile, SoT was exactly how most games are run in practice. Game is dominated by one overbearing Mary Sue, there's one person there who knows what they're doing who gets drowned out, the rest are just awkwardly there for the ride, nothing of any consequence happens because Mary Sue wants her in this instance, but it's more often a guy power fantasy, the entire experience is a disappointment and the group just awkwardly shifts to a new system. SoT was sadly much closer to the majority of games I've been in through high school and college.
>>
>>59745035
Are you sure we're watching the same Critical Role? Because the first campaign was literally "Keyleth the Perfect, her emo boyfriend, and others go on an adventure to save the world." The second campaign isn't much better. And you're dead wrong if you think Mercer's game has any consequences. Whenever a TPK is on the table he "conveniently" begins to roll like shit. Death didn't mean anything in the first campaign except twice (Scanlan's last death/res and Vax disintegration), and it's likely not going to mean anything in the second.

As for "interesting group storytelling," I don't exactly call spending 4+ hours shopping and going to the public bath while deliberately ignoring every single plothook to be something new players should idolize.
>>
>>59745741
This is why the anon above said "in theory" about CR. Because in theory, CR makes sense. The reality isn't right of course, because reality rarely matches expectations perfectly until you get a good group working in tandem and everyone knows their role and what they add to the group and how everyone meshes. That just takes time and effort and so few groups reach that point.
>>
>>59743859
The Borg actually have a very good reason to keep the Federation as independent people rather than drones - Starfleet Academy. It produces literal wizards of science and engineering, leaders that can outthink the Collective, ship designers that make ships both powerful and way better looking than the Borg designs (useful for branding yourself as explorers rather than Space Zombies), spies capable of resisting full assimilation, and apparently strong enough psykers to get the attention of at least three Q over the centuries. Now imagine what those crazy motherfuckers can do with access to everything the Collective knows.
>>
>>59747791
That sounds like more reason to assimilate the Federation but adapt the parts that produce all of these benefits into the Collective, and have the Collective itself adapt into a new form that can incorporate the benefits of the Starfleet Academy system.
>>
>>59747791
>ships both powerful
By best of both worlds, the collective has seen the most powerful starship available to the federation and carved it up like a roast. A single cube casually obliterated an entire fleet of federation ships.
From a technological perspective, starfleet academy is worthless to them.
Additionally, none of the plans used by the federation to stop them worked, or even significantly slowed them.
The federation must've just looked like an all you can eat buffet to them right up until they found that back door into the collective. Nothing about it was particularly advanced or exceptional before they started losing cubes.
>>
>In their first encounter, from the Borgs perspective, the Enterprise suddenly shot across the galaxy at speeds beyond comprehension
>They came looking for the engine that could do that not knowing it was Q snapping his fingers.
>tfw the incredible disappointment the entire collective felt after assimilating Picard and finding out the truth
>>
>>59747911

That was sort of the basis of the idea. The Borg have two options. Light touch, just get the Federation to keep doing what they're doing, but doing it for you, or take over the culture, and risk killing the goose that lays the golden engineers.

Having the collective adapt itself would be part of it as well. Once the Borg collective considers the Federation to be part of the Borg and vice verse, the Borg are probably going to be massively protective of it.

It's something I thought about with the idea of Borg Commissars. If they're part of a hive mind, they probably consider their own lives to be something that can be traded if it advances the goals of the collective. So this uncanney valley looking Borg spends a long time being the voice of the inhuman alien consciousness. Until there's a direct physical threat to the crew, at which point they are almost disturbingly enthusiastic about sacrificing themselves to protect everyone else. Because "death is irrelevant" isn't just some cold phrase, it's literally how they think about themselves.

It's also why I thought setting this in the Dominion war would be interesting. Having a staredown between the Borg and the Founders over the Federation would be interesting, and might be a way to plausibly keep things in a cold-war state.
>>
>>59724407
Romulans are Johnnys.
>>
>>59748174
>Sempai will notice us if we assimilate/become his waifu
Oh lord, the Borg are tsundere for de Lancie!
>>
>>59726215
>Borg banter
>>
>>59748863
Who isn't *dere for de Lancie?
>>
>>59748174
The next step beyond gravimetric warp field generators is Continuum-slaved twin reactors.
>>
>>59748886
Picard and Sisko.
Guinan acts like an ex
>>
>>
>>59724971
Cut off that bottom nacelle and you might just have something.
>>
>>59724971
>>59753444
I say flip the nacelles so that it's two below, one above
>>
>>59753444
Makes sense, you’d end up with similar proportions to the Connie.

>>59754485
Ew, no.
>>
File: royalsovereign.gif (96 KB, 620x812)
96 KB
96 KB GIF
>>59756472
It can work...
>>
>>59756518
What horrors have you done to my beautiful sovereign?
>>
>>59748202
A Borg-Dominion War would also completely undo the plot of First Contact, given that the Federation would already be under Borg jurisdiction. Instead you'd have the Borg Sphere (or maybe even a Borged up Enterprise) traveling thousands of years into the past of the Gamma Quadrant to physically destroy the Founder homeworld before they spread beyond it. That would have all kinds of interesting impacts on the future whether or not the Borg succeeded. If you wanted to go full weeaboo with it, the Great Link looks an awful lot like the aftermath of Third Impact. Maybe the Founders used to be solid humanoids before an Angel or a Prophet collapsed their ego barriers and Tanged everybody. Hell, given how much older the Prophets, wormhole, and Bajoran spacefaring culture are than the Dominion, maybe they were a Bajoran colony at first.

>>59748863
>i-it's not like I want to become one with you or anything, baka
>>
>>59756518
I’d prefer a 3 nacelle Sovereign with the Galaxy X configuration and with the middle nacelle much closer to the hull.
>>
>>59756845
I like'em equidistant; different strokes...
>>
I think the equidistant form needs a far more symmetrical hull form to not just look a bit off.

That or in the case of that sovereign-mash, tuck the damn things in closer.
>>
File: STA3 ISS Imperator.jpg (1016 KB, 1920x1018)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
>>59756845
That actually exists via STA3
>>
File: KlinKV2.jpg (56 KB, 650x475)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>
>>59719390
he guys you ever think about Odo and relationships after he was given his shapeshiftery back by that dead kid

like he had sexual relationships when he was basically human after the Link turned him so

does he think that's what humanoids want, does he have memory-instincts of what to do at the culmination of sex with a humanoid

what I'm asking here is does he ever just jizz a little bit of himself over Kira or what

asking for a friend
it's urgent
>>
>>59719390
I think the empok nor away team was worse. Lost 4 out of 7 members.
>>
>>59761188
>Odo literally makes little odos with Kira
>>
>>59761188
It'd have to be crazy ropy. Like still attached him. Any part of Odo that disconnects from his body turns back into changeling goo after 2-3 seconds.

Of course, he could absorb some jizz from a generous donor beforehand and "deposit" it on command. Or he could just replicate some suitable liquid and do the same thing. The second option is probably more hygienic.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (228 KB, 620x480)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
>>59761188
>>
>>59761333
>uhhh yeah baby deeper yeah get right into my tight lungs mmmm that's it choke me harder Cardie
>>
>>59761238
The Empok Nor away team had to contend with a heavily boobytrapped Cardassian station, 2 coked up Cardassian soldiers from an elite unit and Elim "definitely killed the Proconsul of the Romulan Star Empire" Garak.
The most pressing threat that the "Good Shepherd" away team had to deal with was there own astounding incompetence.
>>
>https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/1b064acb-305d-4932-94a2-b727edf57a33/Yeager-class-starship-WIP
Would you a Nebbie Intrepid?
>>
>>59761441
Fugly.
>>
>>59761441
Elongate the aft so that the saucer and engineering sections flow together naturally at the shuttlebay. I'd estimate it needs to be about halfway between where the shuttlebay is now and the endpoint of the nacelles.
>>
>>59761390
>The most pressing threat that the "Good Shepherd" away team had to deal with was Janeway

fixed.
>>
File: redline.jpg (35 KB, 744x414)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>59761441
Cut the engineering section right back to the red line area and it might just look passable, akin to the Centaur.
Might.
>>
Jesus Christ Voyager is such a waste. All the directions they could have gone in and they just threw it away in favor of hitting the reset button over and over again.
>>
>>59762233
We really should get a badge or banner or something made up for this because we will never not be disappointed in Voyager.
>>
>>59762233
There's maybe 10 good episodes and ~20 that could be considered okay or guilty pleasures. But otherwise yeah, It's a genuinely soul crushing series.
>>
>>59762590
What kills me is how many episodes cane so close to being great, like Sacred Ground. If Kes had croaked and Janeway had actually been affected by her experiences for more than the last 30 seconds of the episode it could have been a classic. But lolnope gotta have that status quo. Janeway goes back to being the poster child for /r/atheism, Kes is just fine and nothing at all changes. Fucking hell.
>>
>>59762878
>Fucking hell
I remember that Harry Kim episode.
>>
>>59762878
Even a lot of the good episodes succeed despite the shitty final act. Remember "Worst Case Scenario"? The episdoe where they discover a holoprogram that play out like a Maquis takeover of the ship. That first 20-30 minutes where they're all trying it out and being confronted by themselves is great. You could finish out the episode with everyone learning how they've changed/improved and then some final revelation for Tuvok where he realises how badly he misjudged the crew back then. But instead we get "high stakes" chase through a boobietrapped holo-Voyager while holo-Seska lives out her fantasies of boning holo-Chakotay. I still like the episode but those last few minutes drag like a motherfucker.
>>
The thing that bothered me the most about Voyager was the silver age Superman way the episodes were written. So many are just super-dickery in the vein of "Jimmy Olsen, I challenge you to a boxing match!"

"Captain! The Borg are swarming across all decks! Your orders?!"
' .... Stay the course, Ensign.'
<dramatic crescendo intensifies>
>>
>>59729544
You might be able to rely on your own ship's warp field for the tow, but you'd have to contort the field horribly, not to mention bring the B'rel uncomfortably close and probably beef the tractors up to make sure he doesn't shift by a millimeter. All this would do horrible things to efficiency and safety margin.

Alternatively, allowing the B'rel to generate his own field and merging the two is considerably more efficient, even if it does limit you to the slower of the two ships' speed.

Think of it as the difference between helping someone limp along or dragging their unconscious ass.
>>
>>59763151
I just never liked Seska. There's something about Martha Hackett I find unsettling, which I guess is good, from a casting perspective, but really hurt the enjoyment of her episodes for me.

Also, the Kazon were just boring as shit, and given that Voyager spends the following five seasons literally outrunning big slow ships, I never liked that the Kazon/Seska were able to follow on with whole armadas for the early shows.

I can forgive a lot of the stuff that was said early on about limited resources being resolved off-screen or getting a token resolution where it's obvious the crew is getting more and more adept at handling the situation - particularly after Seven's decision to implement Borg technologies (and stuff like the energy-regen replicator tech the aliens who briefly stole Voyager's warp core had) - but... I feel like maybe the Kazon bored me so much I must have just missed the shows where they explained that Voyager's early journey was haphazard and slow, in pursuit of energy resources that for some reason it didn't have despite setting out with a full complement from DS9?

Right? They didn't just neglect to explain that Voyager was criss-crossing Kazon territory, which is understandably huge and fragmentary and contains lots of enclaves of other species, and that was how the big slow Kazon carrier/destroyer things were able to catch up continually? Did I not understand something about Kazon politics that cleverly explained Cullah taking over sect after sect as he pursued them, transferring to capital ships from the fast ships he was really using in pursuit?

Because when the astrometrics lab shows up in S4, they *really* love talking about Voyager's course deviations and local space all of a sudden.

So to answer your question no I don't like Seska one bit.
>>
>>59763963
>So to answer your question no I don't like Seska one bit.

I'm not sure that anybody asked that, anon.
>>
>Kira was supposed to be Ro Laren
>Seska was supposed to be Ro Laren
Wonder how much different either would have been.
>>
>>59764660
The one thing we can say with certainty is that there would have been a lot more Ro Laren.
>>
>>59761188
He probably just turns his dick into a prehensile pleasure-tentacle.
>>
>>59765035
>surprise gerbil!
>>
>>59764755
Ro Laren shoulda been split in a transporter accident so we could have Captain (army rank) Ro in DS9 under Kira's command and Ro in some manner in VOY too.
A captain being under a commander's command is just too funny to let go.
>>
>https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/57dcea96-ba9f-4dff-b6d3-c5fddc0265c8/Sovereign-class-variants-WIP
Slow thread surprise: select a Sovereign!
>>
What are good plots for a Lower Deck style episode? It's my first time doing one and I'm struggling to come up with a 3 hour long plot that's contained within the ship that isn't holodeck shenanigans
>>
>>59766296
Something is infesting the Jefferies Tubes. When the players investigate, it's not only not related to the monster of the week, it's just one of the command staff's pets. Problem: the Lower Deck crew are now responsible for acquiring this pet and delivering back to the officer it belongs to. Depending on how seedy your ship is, your players will find illegal gambling dens, tribble fights (Fuck furthest, fastest, and longest), bizarre science experiments shunted down into the tubes after the bizarre weekly shenanigan they were required for has ended, and the horror of horrors, Dave Innatubes.
>>
File: 1526345624755.gif (1.32 MB, 480x360)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB GIF
>>59766383
>Dave
Shit just got real
>>
>>59766296
Depends on which characters are involved.
>>
>>59766296
The old man of the department of your choice died on the shitter, leaving no hint of how he kept track of who was responsible for what
Turns out he was a telepath, and with his dying breath he accidentally scrambled his subordinates' minds: it's up to you to figure it out before HR gets involved!
>>
>>59766383
I guess I should figure out a mechanic for tribble fighting

>>59766428
Everyone but the XO, CMO, and Helm

>>59766448
Eh, while I appreciate the thought, I'd like to stay away from "psychic phenomena of the week fucks shit up"
>>
>>59766099
the one with the secondary hull right under the saucer is kinda cute, in a derpy sort of way...
>>
>See an open slot for a STA game on Reddit and Roll20
>Figure I'd give it a try, worst case I'd just bail after the first session
>First red flag: The GM is using Roll20 but has no knowledge of how to use it, necessitating a Co-GM
>Second red flag: The GM wants me to sign a "social contract" that details how players should interact with one another and with the GM
>Third red flag: The group is gushing about Sam's latest Mary Sue adventure on SoT
>Almost quit right there, but desperate for a game. Decide to still give them a session tryout
>Voice comms seem fine until the "girl" of the group opens their mouth
>It's blatantly a neckbeard using a voice changer, and not even a good one. He sounds like a fucking chipmunk and his voice peaks every five seconds
>GM sounds like a complete idiot, taking five minutes to explain (incorrectly) what a task roll should be and what it means. He has to be corrected constantly.
>Neckbeard pretending to be a girl hogs the spotlight and cons the GM into giving him benefits he should not get like free rerolls
>Wait patiently for my character to be introduced. Doesn't happen until the last 5 minutes and I'm constantly talked over
>Bail so fucking hard that people in the Andromeda galaxy are going to wonder what the fuck happened millennia from now

Dear fucking god. I didn't believe in the "Critical Role" effect and that SoT would do it to STA, but holy shit. How can people play like that?
>>
>>59768171
Sound par for the course playing with randos.
>>
>>59768171
They're not playing, they're posing. As in models, not hipsters.
They want people to look at their works with awe, and think the only way to accomplish that is to have literally everything be about them.
>>
>>59768171
Honestly blaming CritRole of SoT for this is wrong. It's that certain groups are making in roads to nerdy things and any without defined fandoms are at risk of being overtaken. STA is new and trek in general has an iffy fandom in terms of those that would jump on something like STA especially with the fact that the material itself is close to SJW bait and that's been made worse by STD. G&S seems to have a large profile to those of us involved in nerdy shit but honestly they aren't that huge and most of the STA cancer most likely found SoT after starting to hear about STA. Also roll20 is cancer for finding groups and actively spreads the SJW cancer to other games by effectively networking them. We really need a fix for this shit.

On a side note a social contract for players isn't a bad idea so long as you keep simple and you can even do the following to try to stop the cancer: 1) try to give a heads up if you need to miss a session 2) don't be a dick to other players or the GM 3) if it seems like somebody is being a dick assume the best and ignore it if possible or talk to them/the GM calmly to figure things out 4) if you have a problem with how things are handled at any point and discussing it with the GM doesn't work then leave the group and don't try to bad mouth it or anybody in the group
>>
>>59766383
> and the horror of horrors, Dave Innatubes.
Surely you mean hero of heroes
>>
>>
File: nope.gif (915 KB, 476x253)
915 KB
915 KB GIF
>>59766383
>Dave, King of the Kingdom of Innatubes

This is a legitimate non-combat potential TPK event. You can't fight The Dave, you can only try to reason with him.
>>
>>59766099
I like the Akula!Sovereign, dual nacelles in a vert arrangement, and the one with quad nacelles.
>>
>>
>>59772302
>reason with Dave
The Founders preserve whatever fool tries that and expects to live. You play innarules or you die.
>>
>>59775433
It's possible, you just have to see things from his point of view. Declare your intentions and request permission to pass. If permission is yes he will deactivate the traps on your path or at least tell you where to avoid. You may need to prove your intentions with a hand signed note from the chief engineer. Don't try to scan him.
>>
>>59775629
I don’t see how my statement infringes on that.
>>
>>59774476
What was so appealing about the D7 design that the Romulans adopted it?
>>
>>59777934
TOS era warbirds were awful.
>>
>>59777934
Massively better warp drive running on a proper matter/antimatter reactor, better all-round armament and other capabilities. It was a proper cruiser when the top of the line they had was destroyer.
>>
>>59777934

I always imagined that the Klingons were passing over complete hulls to the Romulans in exchange for raw materials.

The Romulans didn't mess with the overall design, as these ships were built with 'modern' warp engines in mind, and the Romulans did not yet fully understand the mechanics and design principles necessary to build a superior 'Romulan' design.
>>
>>59777934
It was a major warship while the Romulans up to that point focused mainly on smaller scout and harasser ships.
>>
>>59779717
And then several decades through it out for artificial singularity cores.
>>
>>59777934
They saw the Klingons, big guys, wearing masks, molded and shaped by the D7, and they decided to adopt it.
>>
>>59777934
Basically what everyone else has said. The Romulans has fallen behind significantly on several technological fronts in their pursuit of cloaking tech. And with their total isolation, it was impossible for them to Hague their progress against other nations. They came out of a century of total silence to find they were thoroughly outmatched in power supply, warp and shielding tech. Given their shared goal with the Klingons (destroying the Federation) they came to a mutually beneficial arrangement... which lasted all of 5 years before they started killing each other again.
>>
>>
So with Shield of Tomorrow (thankfully) coming to an end, what other STA streams are out there worth watching? I only really watched SoT to feel better about my own home games and how great my players were in comparison.
>>
>>
>>59724296

Holy shit I JUST watched this episode less than two hours ago for the first time. It's a really good one.
>>
>>59787128
Error 404
>>
What's the biggest Starfleet ship?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (96 KB, 694x530)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>59787262
Not sure if joke or actual stream name. Google is predictably full of useless results.
>>
>>59789454
Probably some vessel used for starbase construction.
>>
>>59789542
If Beta canon is to be believed, those are freaking tiny.
>>
>>59789454
For about two hours or so, DS9.
>>
File: 1415246444985.jpg (151 KB, 1920x938)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>59789577
I wouldn't believe it since it doesn't make any kind of sense And I'm pretty sure is only that way so they're not getting in the way for the sake of gameplay.

Unless said tiny ship is simply a tugboat for a massive amount of cargo, and used in swarms with truckload of workbees.

>>59789454
Canon answer: Galaxy class.
>>
File: bee.png (387 KB, 757x347)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
From the DS9 Technical Manual. Shame we never saw stuff like this in the show.
>>
>>59761333
>>
File: 1521148423017.jpg (227 KB, 683x500)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
All this talk of SoT not running STA right, and having jumped ship just before the Borg BS, makes me yearn for a real STA game! Any anons running a game with an open slot?
>>
>>59789454
Alpha-Canon has it as the Galaxy Class. Beta-Canon is lowsy with collossal ships. The one that stands out most is the Jupiter class carrier from STO.
>>
>>59719390
Are there any rules for playing a Q or any concept art for what their true forms look like?
>>
>>59791649
Why would you want to play an omnipotent being that's not allowed to do much other than sometimes annoying lesser beings, and even then you'd risk eradicating an entire species?
>>
>>59791673
Sounds like fun. The role of an observer with a few neat tricks wouldn't be a bad character. Granted there's no risk of your death, but the game would still end with the other members dying and you being unable to "fix" it. Still, I really came on here to ask about Q true form art.
>>
>>59791692
>but the game would still end with the other members dying and you being unable to "fix" it
That's impossible for Q.
>>
>>59791727
Well, you'd have to balance it somehow.
>>
>>59791757
>playing an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being
>balance
>>
>>59791901
The Q are demonstratably none of those things, although they're quite close on most of them.
>>
>>59791757
Playing a Q would just be trying to avoid giving the GM a reason to go "And then the rest of the continuum, annoyed by your actions, turns you mortal."
>>
>>59766383
>>59766413
>>59770798
>>59772302
>>59775433
>>59775629
Thats odd, my ears are feeling quite hot..
I wonder if someone is talking about me?
>>
>>59789454

kirk x spock
>>
File: 1477346526091.jpg (95 KB, 615x823)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>59775629
>Don't try to scan him
Men have died for less.
>>
File: 20180518152742_1.jpg (198 KB, 1920x1080)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>when the whole team uses romulan reputation plasma torps, but beams kill the target faster anyways
>>
>>59724407
>TFW you realize TNG-onward Romulan culture is entirely based on trying to replicate the success of Kirk's ridiculous elaborate plan that screwed their predecessors over in The Enterprise Incident
>>
>>59792952
>that period of time after they introduced Romulan rep but before they nerfed Projectile Weapons Officers/torpedo cooldowns
>every STF consisted of everyone just parking in place spamming endless waves upon waves of Romulan rep torps
>>
>>59780254
I always figured they were already using artificial singularity cores in TOS. It explains away Scotty's line in Balance of Power about the BoP not having warp power even though it clearly has FTL capability to get where it is: He was scanning for a matter/anti-matter reactor and not seeing one.
>>
>>59792309
underrated post
>>
>>59791649
>>59791673
>>59791757

Q is a GMPC.
>>
>>59793980
He's the good kind of one though, the one that makes the game better and more fun.
>>
>>59787223
The end scene is really good, especially as it shows Deanna being useful
>>
This thread is dead and I don't recall anyone posting #3 earlier, so here.
>>
>>59797449
Starting off with Evil Broccoli.
>>
>>59797466
>>
>>59797489
It should probably be obvious that this is a simulation.
>>
>>59797512
>>
>>59797512
I dunno, i think they got the general mentality of a Federation crew just fine.
>>
>>59797525
>>
>>59797550
Mirror Picard acting like a Ferengi. That's probably unintentionally clever.
>>
>>59797574
"Some of our information may be a tiny bit dated" like getting the uniforms wrong.
>>
>>59797594
>>
>>59797594
...are Riker and Picard about to fuck, or am I misreading that last panel?
>>
>>59797616
Five minutes should be plenty!

>>59797620
Time for a General Grin recut.
>>
>>59797634
Took them all of the very next page to fuck it up.
>>
>>59797669
>>
>>59797697
Taking bets on how many pages it'll take before Riker sees the real Troi and figures it out.
>>
>>59797732
>>
>>59797759
Ha ha typical Broccoli, threatening to kill people, what a guy
>>
>>59797789
>>
>>59797809
Picard has seen through the ruse, what will he do next??? lol find out next Wednesday
>>
>>59797841
It actually does feel like these issues are cutting off right when the story should be getting going, so we're 3 issues into a 5 issue mini-series and nothing interesting has happened. Doesn't help that 20% of every issue is being taken up by the backup story.
>>
>>59797882
With the previous mini-series it wasn't as bad because there was no backup, and exploring mirror TNG was neat in and of itself, but for this one it feels like all the interesting stuff is going to happen in the last issue, or they'll end on a cliffhanger anticipating a third series.
>>
>>59797789

Goddamit, they had to do it again.

Instead of being a militaritic profesional and capable force, they portray mirror universe humans as some savage jackasses in uniform, there is no way I can feel anything but disgust in the way they present them every single time.
>>
>>59797915
Not to mention I have no idea where this backup is ultimately going to lead. Cool, Data is beating up space pigs, so what?
>>
>>59797937
Whoo hoo, mirror Spock is still alive, we figured that out last issue. Whatever, end of issue, see you again next Wednesday.

>>59797926
To be fair, for Barclay it makes sense because it's basically how prime Barclay acted in his holo-fantasies. I agree on it being dumb in Enterprise and other beta canon though.
>>
>>59797972
Spock Bin Laden?
>>
>>59797987
Osama was found with a stash of anime and video games that wouldn't be out of place on 4chan. What was Spock found with?
>>
>>59798297
Tellarite scat porn and a tremendous amount of signed photos of Sulu.
>>
>>59798297
An orange.
Nobody knows how he got it, all oranges were destroyed in WW3.

Also a box of 56 copies of Tekwar.
>>
>>59797882
>>59797915
So why is Spock hanging out with Tellarites ?
>>
>>59799980
Tellarites were particular hard-beat by TE tyranny.
>>
>>59798297
now I'm trying to remember if that deepthroat flash game was around back then
>>
>>59797594
man, evil Picard is looking pretty kawaii there
>>
What's a good STA bottle-episode that involves Q? I'm trying to come up with one that similar to the Robin Hood episode of TNG, but am drawing a blank since most of my players aren't playing Humans.
>>
>>59802358
I used Q in a Last Unicorn Games campaign I ran where he sent the crew back to a planet around the time the Federation arrived there, so they could help ensure that the Feddies got in good with the locals
>>
What would Mirror Janeway be like?
>>
>>59804034
Pretty much the same except she'd have 7 of 9 in a collar and would blow up more planets with nanoprobe torpedoes
>>
>>59804034
You know Psychopath Janeway? Mirror Janeway is just that all the time.
>>
>>59804034
The total opposite of the regular. She'd be diplomatic, smart, and isn't a walking wave of genocide.
>>
>>59804034
Living Witness.
>>
>>59804034
Competent.
>>
>>59804034
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfSvBGtYYI
>>
>>59804034
>>59804186
And she would love tea instead of coffee. So basically she would be a female Picard.
>>
>>59797841
>develop false communication based on slightly outdated data
>uniform is current
>>
STEM BOLTS

I NEED STEM BOLTS

I'LL PAY GOLD PLATED LATINUM FOR ALL THE STEM BOLTS YOU HAVE
>>
>>59805912
Given how much the admiral uniforms change in the first few seasons, I'll chalk it up to being some design that was never shown on screen.
>>
>>59806800
Just get them at wholesale
>>
You know those series infographics giving ratings on individual episodes, is there one for Voyager?

Because I'm only up to episode 13, and I'm already bored as fuck with this series.
>>
>>59808836
This is one.
>>
>>59808836
it gets somewhat better by the end of season 2 (they're finally done with the fucking Kazon) and than again with the start of season 4
>>
>>59806800
Manual or self-sealing?
>>
>>59800434
Wasn't the humans fault. Who told the Tellarites to be so pig headed?
>>
File: Internet.gif (1.37 MB, 400x300)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB GIF
>>
>>59811179
all the fucking time
>>
Reminder that the Breen would wipe the floor with the Beta Quadrant.
>>
>>59813458
>needed a technobabble superweapon in order to take out anything
>technobabble was immediately rendered harmless via Klingons fucking around
>got their asses handed to them with the support of two other factions
Begone Thot
>>
>>59804061
>in a collar

She'd have got bored and killed Early 7 a long time before 7 got fuckable. And as DS9 showed, fucking is all the MU cares about. If it's accurate to the writers' rooms of the period, anyway.

>>59804034
She'd be an intelligent hologram, Vic Fontaine style, who taught herself temporal physics and escaped into the distant past of her universe with a starship and a mobile emitter.
>>
>>59804034
A traitor. At least according to the books.
>>59814279
>fucking is all the MU cares about. If it's accurate to the writers' rooms of the period, anyway.
Even now, if the books are anything to go by.
>Kira sleeping up the ladder
>Kira being a sex toy for the Klingon generals when she's out of favor
>Janeway/Chuckles wild animal sex
>all human female slaves are sex toys
>Paris is Torres's favorite S&M/torture/snuff sex toy - literally
>Lwaxana literally runs a (secretly telepathic) brothel full of the last Betazeds
>Anika hopping on any available penis
>>
File: akoocheefuckyourself.webm (378 KB, 576x432)
378 KB
378 KB WEBM
>>59814829
Trek novel writers need to be collectively gassed.
>>
>>
>>59817931
my headcanon of the Constellation class is that they basically explode at the secondary hull/pylons for no reason sometimes

I don't know why
>>
>>59818004
Would be even cooler if a retooled modern variant that's actually set up as a mobile shipyard/base had a drive section that detaches to perform AWACS and combat patrols in the surrounding area while the saucer remains on station. Like the galaxy class that replaced it was supposed to do.
>>
What I'd like to see is the constellation class with the rear rotated by 90 degrees. Might have to relocate the torpedo launchers for a clear path but it's not exactly lacking suitable spaces for that.
>>
>>59818556
Galaxies still do that, just way out on deep patrol most of the time. There's a reason they spun up new wartime hulls rather than recalling the existing ships for the Dominion fight.
>>
>>59814829
This reminds me of that part in Trekkies where Kate Mulgrew is talking about the erotic fanfics she gets sent by fans. The same levels of cringe, y'know?
>>
>>59797732
Riker could have a threesome with both Trois and still maybe not figure it out.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>59819609
>>59819609
>>59819609
>>59819609

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.