[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: JanTran2.png (12 KB, 750x400)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
When did tabletops stop being fun, /tg/? It feels like each game is the same as the others, but with a different coat of paint disguised as a "setting"
>sci fi
>arabian nights
>medieval fantasy
>greek legends
>oriental adventures
None of it feels unique anymore. When I say I grab my scimitar, it doesn't feel any different from grabbing my gladius or my laser sword. When I kill the oni, I don't get a different sensation from killing a minotaur or a troll.
I've lost my imagination and I don't know what to do.
>>
>>59746894
What systems have you played?
>>
File: Don't play DnD.jpg (104 KB, 983x605)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>59746894
>>
>>59746994
>a thread died for this
The most recent thread in the archive has 4 posts. I'm getting sick of this meme
>>
>>59747106
Oh shit I had this name for a thread I started. Forgot to take it off.
>>
>>59747028
What game do you recommend for an immersive tabletop experience?
>>
>>59746894

Have you tried
>Taking a break
>Finding new/different people to play with
>Finding something non-game related to do for a while to reset yourself (gardening, crafts, working out, learning to cook, etc)

I mean, your post makes it sound like you're just feeling hollow and curmudgeonly and pushing through like you've been doing isn't going to magically make you feel better. It also sounds like maybe you really need new/different players because if everything feels samey, it might be your DM/GM.
>>
>>59747354
>game
you're missing the issue.
>>
>>59746894
Find a system you like and play it.

Even shit ones, so we can laugh at you for playing a shit game. Often setting fatigue comes about through how mechanics tend to express themselves. I feel far more refreshing playing a different system to straight up D&D. That and D&D is the junk food of RPGs
>>
Git gud. Or stop playing, the hobby will be better for it, since it's pretty clear you don't have it in you.
>>
>>59746894
>None of it feels unique anymore etc.
By any chance are you just using the same system D&D? to play in each setting? Sounds like you are just tired of the mechanics of the game rather than the flavour. Although I primarily run and play generic (ie non specific to a setting) systems, for each setting I mix it up to give the unique feel of that time period. For example in cyberpunk you have cyberware, in sci fi you have space battles and so on. To use your scimitar is the same as gladius or laser sword analogy, that shouldn't be a problem if mechanically speaking they are different things (as they should be). A gladius and a scimitar are vastly different weapons used in vastly different ways. I used to feel sick of medieval fantasy until I discovered systems other than D&D, and it completely breathed new life into the genre.

In terms of the feeling of lack of originality however, I can relate to that. I remember reading a post on /tg/ where someone said something like "All I want is to play some generic fantasy setting, not a setting with a lame twist", and it changed my outlook completely. I realised I was overthinking things and that pursuing originality was a waste of time. Ultimately, you should just play what you and your group want to play. Nothing wrong with trying to come up with something different, but you shouldn't be so bent on doing it at the expense of fun.

If you feel burnt out just from playing all the kind of settings you listed, try something completely different like say a highschool or urban fantasy setting. In both cases they would play out completely different from your typical D&D setting.
>>
>>59746894
Try wargaming instead of roleplaying. Learn to paint and get the full hobny experience
>>
>>59746894
Could just be you have a stretch of bad GMs. I'm currently in a game that's 1/3rd magical girl anime, 1/3rd Groundhog Day, and 1/3rd soap opera and it's like nothing I've ever played before. I've actually been left in tears by in-game events multiple times, I shit you not.
So yeah, keep on trying. Sooner or later you'll find an amazing GM, and then you need to surgically attach yourself to your GM's body to make 100% certain you end up in every game they run.
>>
>>59746894
Sounds like you're playing d20 games and nothing but d20 games.

You should probably stop doing that.
>>
A lot of recommendations to use a system other than D&D, but what systems do you recommend?
>>
>>59757419
gurps
Seriously though, it depends on what you want to run. If you want to play a game about being cool vampires who hide in the shadows of society, you should play Vampire the Masquerade. If you want to play a game set in the star wars universe staring your star wars OCs, you should probably use one of the star wars RPGs, and so on.
>>
>>59746894
Just eat, go to work, and sleep until it's over.
>>
File: sadkinder.png (267 KB, 417x360)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>When did tabletops stop being fun, /tg/?
I would say about my third straight year DMing for a bunch of clueless morons who refuse to play with any other system than D&D or any setting other than generic fantasy or Fallout but without the comedic elements.
I would murder to get a chance to run something else like Nechronica, Dark Heresy or some kind of Kamen Rider game or play FUCKING ANYTHING that isn't a terrible D&D campaign run by somebody that refuses to read the rulebook.
>>59755010
Sounds fun.
>>
File: 65355995_p1_master1200.jpg (143 KB, 442x700)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
Find a GM who's better at writing and storytelling and a group of players who can create memorable and interesting characters.
>>
File: 1501558934829.jpg (230 KB, 700x1011)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
PS:

>>59758062
Play online. I'm in an online Nechronica campaign right now with an incredibly talented story teller as a gm and a wonderful group, and it's been one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

Don't forget that - as of the fan translations official pdf release - there's a growing discord community for the game.
>>
>>59746894
I'd recommend taking a break.
Just be a normie for a while.
Eventually the boringness of everyday life will cause a re-ignition of your imagination.
Or you'll become a full fledged normie, in which case you should give your gaming stuff away on /tg/.
>>
>>59757466

A million times this. If there is one meme /tg/ needs to drop, it's the universal system good for anything.

Hell, even DND is suprinslgy "non general" for heroic fantasy. Really.
>>
>>59746894

This >>59758307
Sounds like you're either burned out or depressed. In the case of the former, take a break; how long is up to you. Could be a few months, could be a few years. You're probably just sick of doing it so much.

In the case of the latter, well, that's a bit more difficult. When my depression got particularly bad last year, I kept berating myself for wasting my time on things that "don't matter," (although for me at least, there is some truth in that; I've been sticking my head into fictitious things to avoid my actual responsibilities, don't know if it's the same for you) so you may want to consider that as well.
>>
>>59758062
>I would say about my third straight year DMing for a bunch of clueless morons who refuse to play with any other system than D&D or any setting other than generic fantasy or Fallout but without the comedic elements.
go find different players. If you can't find any in your local area, try online.
>>
File: 1474087518528.jpg (62 KB, 597x400)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>59758235
I don't have a mic and the idea of playing online makes me super uncomfortable.
I am terrible at socializing over the internet.
It's like all of my social cue awareness wears off if I can't see the other person's face.
>>
File: 35152648_p0.jpg (2.51 MB, 2400x1350)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
>>59759066
We don't use mics, all my online games are text based (mostly use discord and roll20).

I've come to prefer text because you can really practice and work on your writing skills. GM's can paint a real picture of environments and npc mannierisms, and players can really give their pc's a unique voice and explore their thoughts in-depth.

Anyway, I'd say consider giving it a try and easing yourself in! It's much harder to judge people over the internet, at least, so even if you're shit at socializing online, you won't face many repercussions for it. TRPG's are also a great way to get to know people in general, so if you got good people you'll probably end up fitting in soon enough.

As with anything, it all depends on finding a good group. But I think it's easier to find people who share your passions when you have the whole world at your finger tips. Just takes some time and luck.
>>
>>59759066
>I don't have a mic and the idea of playing online makes me super uncomfortable.
That's OK, some online games use text. Like, that meguka game I mentioned? All text. Sometimes after the game we talk with each other over discord voice, but the game is strictly text.
>>59759268
>writing vs voice
In my opinion, it depends on where the GM's skills lie. If the GM is good at (voice) acting, voice can be anything from just nice to tons of fun. On the other hand, if your gm is a writer, or just has a really high words per minute, text can be better.
>>
>>59755010
I've always wanted to play a "ground-hog day" setting or whatever you would want to call it.
How many sessions have you played this? I'm wondering if the novelty would wear off in a session or two.
>>
File: CACMS5O3kUkAAUV3B.jpg (120 KB, 1087x1200)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>59758062
>Nechronica
Enormous breath of fresh air that got me back into enjoying TTRPGs again.

As for your sorrows, I encourage you to be the change. Manifest Destiny. See a system you like or want to play in? Take it to your friends, ask about online. Make it happen. There are many others out there who feel the same way you do and will happily share your desire for something unique.

>I'm not a robot.
....fuck.
>>
File: 1454952785719.jpg (36 KB, 636x639)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>59759268
>>59759316
I can see the advantages but text based games just sound like a slow, boring chore if I am being honest.
Part of the reason I play these things to get away from my miserable day to day existence of typing in silence.
>>
>>59759402
>How many sessions have you played this?
Fuck if I know. We've been playing since September of last year. One thing I will throw in is it's not a day that's looping, it's a month, so that does help avoid things wearing thin. We're only on loop 2 right now.
>>59759451
>I can see the advantages but text based games just sound like a slow, boring chore if I am being honest.
Depends on how quickly you can type I suppose. Play by post games are slow and boring, but text games on roll20 can sometimes go faster than spoken games.
>Part of the reason I play these things to get away from my miserable day to day existence of typing in silence.
Fair enough I suppose. Still, I'd advise giving it a try. Can't know if you won't like it until you try it.
I'd also advise talking to a therapist about your depression.
>>
>>59759451
It depends on the players.

Some people are slow but text games can still move very fast.

Myself I prefer the atmosphere so I don't mind having to wait a few seconds for the GM to type.
>>
>>59746894
I feel the same way i stopped playing most standard RPGs mostly because i got bored of the boring cooperative, everyone wins, no losing condition attitude of most standard RPGs. I will still play if we do a Fiasco run or if we play Amber Diceless or other games that allow players o compete with and work both with or against each other if they choose to. I like GM less games that give players more narrative freedom, if anyone in y group is playing a session i'm up for it, otherwise leave me to my video games. Otherwise i'm not interested in being put in a group forced to work together and save the day fro the BBEG, count me out.
>>
>>59759974
>>59759974
That or if someones running a mobster/bad guy campaign like Goodfellas or Godfather where we play as bad guys. Otherwise if it's a standard RPG with a " You guys are a group now, work together, go there fight the BBEG and defeat him save the world" style campaigns no thanks.
>>
>>59746894
>When did tabletops stop being fun, /tg/?
When I realised I was completely incapable of creating, displaying, and maintaining a character's personality.
>>
File: 1488656209660.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>59759669
I do plan on trying it out some day but it sounds pretty awkward.
The idea of typing out something only to have another player step on my idea before I can press enter is already running through my head.
>I'd also advise talking to a therapist about your depression.
Too poor desu.
>>59759696
The amount of pauses are kind of intimidating to me honestly.
Long pauses really take me out of things.
>>
>>59758062
You are the DM if you dont like it stop running it
>>
>>59760724
Agreed.
>>
>>59760764
How long do you count as "long" though?

Few seconds? Few minutes?

With 4 players and gm all going at once at a decent speed, info's going to be coming in as as fast you can read, even if they're not the fastest.

And in-person games are going to have pauses too. People need to stop to decide what skills they'll use, process rolls and shit, use the bathroom, decide what their character should say/do IC during tense moments (biggest one imo)...those pauses are the longest you're going to get, and they're pretty universal.

Like I said though, depends on the group. I know some GM's who are *infamously* slow to type and can leave players waiting for a seeming eternity. Others go fast.
>>
Also good luck with depression. Hopefully I didn't come off too forceful, best wishes.
>>
>>59760764
>The idea of typing out something only to have another player step on my idea before I can press enter is already running through my head.
A lot of sites have a "x is typing" thing, but sometimes you've just got to learn to adapt. The best game I've ever played in was in text, so it's very clearly capable of good things.
>>
>>59761020
Sometimes it does happen that two players will contradict eachother with their actions. Definitely happens. That's when you go OOC and discuss how to resolve, real quick. Posts can be edited or retconned in the heat of the moment.
>>
File: 1488448146827.jpg (17 KB, 320x180)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>59760847
I have actually already told them that this campaign (which should be wrapping up some time in the next year or so) is the last one.
If they want to keep playing pretend then somebody else is going to have to run it for a while.
It's just a bummer since this is my one social hobby.
>>59760923
>With 4 players and gm all going at once at a decent speed, info's going to be coming in as as fast you can read
Good point I guess.
I am too used to my group who only really interact in character with each other to bicker.
>>
>>59746994
>A thread died for this
Fuck off back to /a/
>>
File: 05_-_aGDodU6.png (1.32 MB, 1433x2024)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>59761141
>If they want to keep playing pretend then somebody else is going to have to run it for a while. It's just a bummer since this is my one social hobby.

Yah, I feel for you, man. TRPG's being my one escape from college drudgery means a lot to me. I hope things work out and you either find a new group, people come around, online works out, or you find another good social/imagination outlet. Best wishes.
>>
>>59746894
theres a point where my focus shifted more towards involved roleplaying and story focus.

i still love an harmonious mecanical aspect but ultimately what draws me in is a good story and a living setting.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.