[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1503194575893.jpg (29 KB, 699x699)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
What's a good, non-GURPS system for a one-on-one campaign?
>>
GURPS
>>
>>59757716
Thanks man.
>>
Scarlet Heroes
>>
FATAL
>>
>>59757703
Freeform with no system involved at all. If it's just one-on-one, basic communication and developed shared ideas of what to expect with your player shouldn't be too hard.
>>
Exalted 3 edition
>>
>>59757703

Like, two people at the table?

S/Lay With me.
>>
>>59757703
Feng Shui 2.
Action movie protagonists work pretty well alone without the formula feeling 'off' and you have a lot of room to build up a colorful and unique cast of characters for a lot of variety..
>>
>>59757703
Monopoly.
>>
>>59757966
I wouldn't be averse to this, but how exactly do you handle combat and skill checks and the like? It feels like there's no chance for failure if it's not left up to dice.
>>
I'm actually running a Genesys game via play by post.
The game mechanic is good for driving the story's exstra content as well as put the power in the players hands for determining the story.
>>
>>59758221
Roll any die you like.
Maximum is the best outcome, minimum is the worst outcome that could possibly happen/you are willing to let happen.

Since you will be intimately familiar with the one character you can easily adjust for capabilities.
>>
>>59757703
Something you are confident you can do well, with someone else who is willing to participate.
>>
>>59758258
Alany please go.
>>
>>59758715
This is basically how I played my first tabletop campaign. It works really well when no one's gonna be rules-lawyer-y about anything. we had a ton of fun.
>>
>>59757779
Seconding this, the first non meme answer

The system is specifically made for one on one play and works well with it

BTW OP, check out Da Archive's Duet trove for specific games, adventures and advice
>>
>>59759471
Thanks, I'll check that out.
>>
Cthulhu confidential is the Trail of cthulhu system for 1-on-1 play.
>>
>>59757716
I unironically like GURPS, but it would be bad for a duet game. Give me one reason why it would be good one on one
>>
>>59759864
One could adjust point totals for the game to account for the fact that the PC will generally be out numbered, grant advantages that account for the fact that they'll be outdone as far as action economy goes, and the game itself has no particular expectation of playstyle so there's no requirement for a team to be present.

For what it's worth, I don't even particularly like GURPS, but generic systems tend to be easily modified to suit a duet game; since unlike options like D&D, they by their nature aren't typically designed expressly for team play.

I've done many duet games, the big thing one needs to be concerned with is the action economy. There are a few ways to get around this. You can make it so player's in combat actions amount to more (Crawford's solo rules for Labyrinth Lord, Stars Without Number, and Scarlet Heroes does this), you can give the PC more actions, you can implement supporting NPCs, or you you can have enemies act less (this is the default solution for action movies and video games). Personally I prefer to run the game as is and just accept that the PC wont be able to take on as much all at once, this encourages stealthy approaches and works best in systems with minimal HP mechanics (since a damage sponge enemy basically necessitates standing there and duking it out to deal with).
>>
Tunnels And Trolls maybe? There were a lot of straight-up solitaire modules for it back in the day. If it works well solitaire then it should work well for one-on-one.
>>
>>59757703
Vampire: the Masquerade, you're supposed to be an edgelord loner anyway and a lot of the game is based around talking and brooding so it isn't as dependent on having a well-rounded group as most games.
>>
>>59757703
Literally anything
>>
Sounds fucking dumb, why would you have a one on one campaign? Might ad well just fuck eachother at that point. You need at least 4 people to play a ROG, otherwise it's just pathetic or a pretense to coitus
>>
Scarlet Heroes is specifically made for this.
>>
>>59764054
One-on-one is as old as the hobby itself. Read up on Robilar.
>>
We got a lot of good system advice, what about examples? Any good podcasts? Streams? Blogs about duet play?
>>
>>59764054
you okay there, retard?
>>
>>59757703
Tenra Bansho Zero if you like weebshit.
>>
>>59759187
who even
>>
>>59764054
>Might ad well just fuck eachother at that point. You need at least 4 people to play a ROG, otherwise it's just pathetic or a pretense to coitus

Agreed. I've only done 1-on-1 once but afterwards I went to sleep and had wet dreams where I fucked the DM.
>>
>>59765973
Were they hot
>>
>>59764054
Considering the game I'm planning is for my girlfriend, it's not like you're far off.
>>
AD&D 2e, its the best S&S system out there.
Fight me
>>
>>59765240
>One-on-one is as old as the hobby itself. Read up on Robilar.
This.

>>59757703
I ran a one-on-one campaign for my dad that's gotten to level 6 and I have plans to continue it. This was in D&D 3.5. He plays 2 characters and I play a healbot cleric NPC for him. Long hiatuses have kinda made me forget where I was going a few times so I had to restructure stuff but it worked out fine. Also I ran a huge decade-long campaign for my dad and brother and at one point they split up and my dad's two characters went back to their town to fend off an orc invasion while my brother's character went on a quest to learn about his ancestral weapon with the help of his other character and a couple NPCs. It let me really flesh out their backstories some more. Then they joined back up and had their own unique experiences to share. It's a good campaign I hope I can get back to running it soon.

Anyway as much as I dislike D&D 4e, it might not be a bad idea here seeing how many hit points your character starts out with. Also you could do a 3.5 campaign with one player and maybe even one character if you really balanced things well or included lots of NPC allies. Savage Worlds also isn't bad because combat runs really fast and it has the concept of PCs controlling NPC allies in combat to command them, so you could do a 1-on-1 war campaign where the player leads soldiers into battle or something like that. Or a D&D campaign with a paladin because I feel like paladin is the one class that really lends itself to good RP. Man I have so many pallies I wanna run. I wanna do a paladin who realizes he is actually a shit person and finally admits it to his god and asks to have his powers stick around for one last battle so he can sacrifice himself and stop being a dishonor to the paladin order. That's the kind of wanky so-deep RP shit that you could really only have in a 1-on-1 game because otherwise it would just annoy other people with your spotlight-hogging.
>>
>>59766705
BECMI
>>
>>59766826
IMCEB
>>
BRP?
EABA?
>>
>>59768619
>BECMI but you get weaker over time until you die to a goblin in a cave
>>
The Gumshoe 1:1 varients are pretty cool. I think I've also seen a guide for running Nights Black Agents one on one. Could be intense depending on how you go about it.
>>
>>59757703
Traveller

one on one you can put a lot more detail in and explore different elements of the game. For example speculative trading would be much easier in a 1 on 1 game, whereas in a group its kinda boring for the rest of the party that aren't doing the trade stuff.
>>
>>59757703
Weaverdice is practically designed for one-on-one.
>>
>>59757703
Risus
>>
D&D 5e. Have done it a lot lately.

For a better all around system, d6. It has variants for any possible setting you can think of, and is super customizable in terms of what characters can do.
>>
Pbta games tend to run well in one on one with minimal changes.
Cypher system makes it easy to build npcs, but needs house rules on npc V npc interactions.
Risus is also a good option.
>>
>>59764054
I DM a one-on-one for my wife and she does one for me and then we fuck
>>
>>59757703
>good, non-GURPS
That's a pleonasm
>>
>>59769229
>The Mysterious Case of Benjamin BECMI
>>
Whenever I hear "duet play" I always imagine a really cheesy vocal number sung by two people over dice and character sheets.
>>
>>59772668
Yeah what OP really means is "solo campaign" or "single player campaign". As opposed to solo-RPGs which are kinda weird and pointless in my opinion but I can't judge because I've done very similar things.
>>
>>59770900
>pbta, system built around PC-on-PC interaction
>single player
I guess so.
>>
>>59773948
Urban shadows includes advice for single player games and works perfectly fine. I don't know if all other pbta games are so drastically different that this advice won't apply.
>>
>>59773937
Roleplaying games played solitaire are not all that different from single player video games.
>>
>>59777991
yes they are quite different, how are they like video games?
>>
>>59778255
They're not exactly the same, no, but a solo gamebook-style dungeon hack is similar enough to a solo computer dungeon hack that if you're okay with one, you don't have much reason not to be okay with the other.
>>
>>59757703
Dungeons: the Dragoning maybe?
>>
>>59757703
>When the OP knows the answer is GURPS but is such a faggot he posts the thread anyway
>>
>>59778556
Are there any good example of GURPS duet play?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.