[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: horrible gdg.png (116 KB, 660x687)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
"Why create what was meant to die?" Edition

A place for full-on game designers and homebrewers alike, as well as general mechanics discussion for published games. Feel free to share your projects, ideas and problems, comment to other designers' ideas and give advice to those who need it.

Try to keep discussion as civilized as possible, and avoid non-constructive criticism. A new thread is (usually) posted every friday, as long as there isn’t one still up.

>Project List:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/134UgMoKE9c9RrHL5hqicB5tEfNwbav5kUvzlXFLz1HI/

>/gdg/ Resources (OP Pasta, Design Tools, Project List):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8nGH3G9Z0D8eDM5X25UZ055eTg

>Official /gdg/ discord:
https://discord.gg/7QadmjN

>#dev on /tg/'s discord:
https://discord.gg/3bRxgTr

>Last Thread:
>>60070383

>Latest Pullcast:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/episode-010-19231349

>Thread Topic:
What do you do when you've lost faith in a project? Do you simply drop it, salvage the remains and start anew, go onto a different project entirely?
>>
fucking stop the everyone tagging
>>
>>60264739
mute them yourself you dumb clod
>>
>>60264739
how about complaining about that on Discord, retard
>>
File: Misfortune COVER.png (405 KB, 671x951)
405 KB
405 KB PNG
>>60264706
For those who haven't heard yet, Misfortune is out!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/243615/Misfortune--Dramatic-Roleplaying?src=4chan

Over 100 downloads, but being PWYW, the finance side has been a dripfeed.

If anyone has questions about it, shoot!

Also
>Thread Topic
I... Just leave them be, and move on. If it's good enough that I want to return to it, I will. Or sometimes I do that even to just see if the previous work can help me come to an epiphany about a design problem I struggle with elsewhere. Having a big backlog of projects is really helpful for your own development, because you always have something to work on, even if you struggle with your main one.
>>
>>60264706
>Thread Topic:

Honestly I just kept (and keep) dabbling and dabbling, deciding on a new focus and working towards that.
I've learned many a thing through failure and realising I've been designing something that feels mediocre at best never made me think I shouldn't do this anymore.
I just keept searching for inspiration in vidya, motion picture, literature, playing and running existing ttrpgs and lurking around here.

So yeah, it took me 7 years and what was once and anime fantasy heartbreaker has evolved into something I feel like I'd be able to get done for once.
>>
I'm doing the open playtest for a post-apocalyptic successor to Legends of the Wulin: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/244258/Tian-Shang-Lone-Wolf-Fists-Eyebleed-playtest-version

If you want to get the eye-injuring early version and give some feedback, that'd be swell

This is the nuts-early version. So *go* nuts /tg!
>>
>>60264706
I scavenge what I can and move on. A lot of my projects have very similar DNA because of it.
>>
So I've hit a bit of a rut on my current stuff, and decided to try working on a side-project for a while. Been playing a hell of a lot of Bloodborne, so started toying with the idea of a warband style game involving hunters that can transform into giant werewolf monsters and their "hirelings". I was thinking a bit Frostgrave-ish, in the sense of more focus on your boss, though not as cookie-cutter with the rest of the 'band.

Some ideas I had was that you start with your hunter and its beast form. They start with a basic statline and you choose equipment and an alignment for it. Each hunter starts with a major trait and 2 minor ones. What traits you have access to is determined by alignment.

I've got 7~ alignments so far:
>Fury
>Hunger
>Corruption
>Arcane
>Celestial
>Madness
>Sanguine

You choose one as your main alignment, which let's you choose the major traits from it and your minors from it or from 'allied' alignments (haven't worked the placements, but the idea is a bit like MTG's color pie, where ally colors are the ones next to each other.); or they can choose from a set of covenants, each which has a set main alignment and a minor that would normally wouldn't be allied, as well as covenant-specific things. The idea is you can either choose from a wider, but rigid, range, or you can choose a more limited alignment that gives options normally not allowed. Major traits would be things like activated abilities or passives that affect the whole warband, while minors would be passives that only affect your hunter.

Your warband is also determined by alignment. Plenty of hirelings would be unaligned, but some would only be taken if your hunter has a certain alignment or a specific covenant.

I'm also thinking of hirelings being used as a resource other than just bodies. Hunters can generate blood points to use. They generate these points by either taking damage, killing enemy models, or damaging your own models.
>Continued.
>>
>>60265780
Blood points would be spent to activate major traits or to perform hunter-specific actions, like buying extra actions. When a hunter hits a threshold of blood points, or when killed, they transform into their beast form.

Beast form is a bit supermode, but with a chance of going frenzied and losing control. I haven't worked on a win-state past killing the other beast, though.
>>
Posting it here in case there are lurkers who don't use the Discord. Looking for general feedback, would love playtesters willing to run with it but I know nobody on /tg actually plays games.
>>
File: GameDevelopment.png (389 KB, 588x467)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
>>
Revision of my card game resource system:
Each card has a cost, resource value, and "stages". The number of stages a card has effectively represents its lifespan as a resource, and it can have effects that trigger whenever it enters a certain stage.

Stages - The stages are 1, 2, 3, 4, and Final, and each player has zones that correspond to each stage, with "Final" being a graveyard of sorts. When stage card is used as a resource, it advances to its next stage. If two of more cards end up on the same stage, the owner of those cards picks one and sends the rest to their Final stage(triggering any Final stage effects).

Playing - You can play any card at any time and it attempts to resolve once responses are sorted out. In order for it to successfully resolve, you must choose stage cards(which can belong ANY player) with total resource values that match the cost of your card exactly. You can also use your own empty stages as one resource of any type, but cranking out the multi-stage effects of your cards and causing undesirable "collisions" for your opponents is the higher priority. When a card successfully resolves, it enters its owner's 1st stage and its stage 1 effect triggers. If the resources you were planning to use become unavailable between playing a card and resolution, the card whiffs and goes to the Final stage without any Final stage triggers.

You can have one shot cards that only have an effect for stage 1. You can have incremental cards that have an effect that triggers on each stage. You can have "suspend" cards that only have an effect on their 4th stage. You can have cards that are meant to be "collided" to achieve their Final stage effect quickly. You can have 0 resource cards that can be cranked by any player whenever a card resolves. High costs let you crank more stage cards at once, while low cost cards are harder to whiff.
>>
>>60266135
hah! i stopped telling people about it before i didn't want to do it anymore (which i don't)
>>
>>60266277
I'd suggest reducing the number of stages down to 3-4. You won't lose any depth but will make the game more graspable and intense. I asusme you created 'zones' to remove the nightmare of keeping track of all individual stages (which kinda kills the fun of engine-building). Instead, you might wanna use Nightfall's gimmick and use card sides to represent their current state.
>>
Okay, let me humor you with an idea, even though I will probably never make it come true (though, it would be pretty rad)

Deckbuilding game... Where there are no hand cards. Every card you have is instantly added to the table when you draw it, it's only a matter of using the cards you have, and trying to read your opponent's next move. It removes not only hands but also

inb4 someone has already done it.
>>
>>60268368
Literally 7 Wonders Duels
do you even play traditional games?
>>
>>60268407
I have 7 Wonders core, but not Duels.

No need to be so condescending though, I was pretty sure someone had already done it. I don't play actual boardgames etc that much anymore, mostly just RPGs these days.

The thing is though, what if such a mechanic was IN an RPG? Deckbuilding RPG, there's a kicker for you. But would be pretty impossible to make approachable and interesting to play simultaneously.
>>
>>60268286
The zones are what allow "collisions"(cards being forced into their final stage via overlap), which is a big part of the interactivity. For forcing changes in the enemy stages, for purging a high resource card of your own that an opponent is attempting to exploit, and quickly triggering the Final stage effect of a card.
>>
>>60268530
sorry, it's been a long day and I forget that some parts of 4chan are alright
>>
>>60268596
It's allright, we all forget it sometimes
>>
>>60266135
But I stopped doing it for months when I'd decided (with no research) that somebody else was probably doing it better and nobody else would ever want to play my system anyway. It wasn't until I started telling people about it that I realized I was completely wrong and became really motivated again. Even now I make way more progress on days that I tell people about my recent work than when I keep it to myself.
>>
>>60268368
>>60268530
To be fair, even without the handless bit, deckbuilding in an RPG might be fun. Kinda like multiplayer Slay the Spire, I guess.
>>
@clod
>>
If going for a roll-off mechanic with modifiers to the roll for >>60265780 would it be better to go with 1D12 for mooks and 2D12, choose the highest, for hunters, or 2D12, choose the highest, for mooks and 3D12, choose the highest, for hunters?
>>
File: diogenes.gif (904 KB, 1174x844)
904 KB
904 KB GIF
Why do we divide Strength and Dexterity? When so many of their applications converge, where does one end and where does the other begin? Is there an explicit, vague application of brute force vs speed that rewards such a division, or are we simply following what we know because there's no need to fix what isn't broken? How do you convey the difference between the fast and precise, the man who handles himself with the strength and pace of a mountain, and the epithome of athletism with the same metrics?
>>
>>60265780
>>60265871
I think you're just describing one of the WoD vampire games, though i don't know if its oWoD or NewWoD.
>>
>>60266135
I would be getting back to it now that I'm done with one job but now I'm instead doing a more onerous (but fun) job that wears me out.
>>
>>60273161
A lot of games don't. Some subdivide it more.
>>
I'm making a video game with a friend, we disagree on something silly and I thought I'd ask /tg/.
In a top-down strategy game with fog of war and visibilty mechanics (i.e. you "remember" terrain you've seen, but can't see units outside your LoS).
Some weapons ignore terrain, let's say mortars. You can, then, shoot outside your line of sight, but only into terrain you've seen, maybe trying to hit an enemy that retreated into the fog of war.
Should shooting outside of your LoS have extra scatter? I say no, my friend says yes.
>>
So I am looking for a better name for my game. Warstack is the "working title" since the system's main pitch is using an interrupt stack for resolving counter-actions, but the name is too dry.

I'm looking for something easy-to-remember, that is evocative of ancient warfare. Metallus, Macharius, Krateros, etc. But the name is driving me nuts.

Otherwise, I'm still hammering out fluff bits, putting factions together, etc. Since "if whfb in antiquity" is the vibe I'm going for, the lands have fairly generic names. Remulas is NotRome, while Grimmania has a mix of Teutoberg/Gaul/Dacia, etc.
>>
>>60273497
I'd go for no extra scatter.

Quick question tho, any particular reason to have the initial black fog of war at all? Aside from the mortar thing, it feels kind of arbitrary, unless you are playing a single player campaign and discovering a map is also part of the game OR you are playing on a randomized map.
>>
>>60264706
How hard is it to publish a board game?
How much does it cost to commission artwork and simple minis?
>>
>>60274929
What's an interrupt stack? Are we talking about tabletop game design, or programming?
>>
>>60273161
That's largely a D&Dism. In real life strength and speed are largely the same til you close in on the limits of the human body and start minmaxing for one or the other. There's plenty of systems that recognise this and set up their stats accordingly.
>>
>>60275017
Dexterity is not 100% synonymous with speed. It also involves coordination.
>>
>>60275017
It's also a trope thing. Yeah, maybe IRL that's how it works, but "fast and precise" vs "huge and strong" is an enduring trope.

I personally dislike having strength and constitution (body, stamina, whichever your game has) as separate because it is very a character concept needs one, but not another.
>>
>>60273161
when I was trying to make RPGs, I ended up reworking Strength, Agility/Dexterity and Constitution into Might and Physique.
Might showed how strong you were physically and how much punishment you could take, while Physique was about how flexible, tough and well-trained you are. Some things that are normally under Strength's purview - like athletics - also fell under Physique.
>>
File: Stack3d.jpg (170 KB, 802x548)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>60274996
Like what Magic the Gathering or other card games use, where you "push" reactions onto each other. Pic-related is a mockup example of how it works.

Each unit gets 2 actions a turn (I used single models for this pic, though this applies at unit/squad level). Each time a unit declares another unit as a target, you put a marker next to it. If you wish to pre-empt with an attack, you would place a larger number next to your unit, etc. (In this case, the black die could be a "crosshairs" or other marker, as the initial target).

A larger stack costs players an increasing amount of Strategy Points (which regen between turns), but once the interrupts stop, you resolve as:
4 attacks 3, replaces its die with an action-taken token.
If 3 survives, it attacks 2, and replaces its die with an action-taken token. Etc.
4-3-2-1.

The game is alternating activation, though strategy points can also be spent to activate consecutive units (with an incrementing cost for more activations), and they're also used for reserves. Thus you can alphastrike, counter, or null, but doing one comes at cost to the other two.

(I am omitting a lot of minutae fwiw)
>>
>>60264706
>What do you do when you've lost faith in a project? Do you simply drop it, salvage the remains and start anew, go onto a different project entirely?
since I enjoy the process and haven't completed a single game design project, ever, it depends
if I just remake same thing from scratch I often salvage my old ones
if I'm doing something new its because I want to actually try something new, so I leave the old things alone
>>
Here's a game. I need to get off my lazy ass and actually write an equipment list.
>>
>>60272199
Making a deck-building RPG would be a dream to me, but I just wonder how it could be done in an interesting way.

Of course, the resources to make it would be immense, due to the amount of art needed for the cards. Unless I go for mostly artless cards, with the game's equivalent of lands (so kind of like basic filler cards with only one thing they do) having art.

I've just finished one game and I'm already full steam on the next, but I'll consider getting on it later. With a deck-based RPG, the rulebook wouldn't even need to be that thick, because the things that take most space (spells, equipment etc) would be in cards.

If I ever end up coming up with something like that, I will Kickstart it, that's for sure. Trying to do something of that scale from nigh nothing is financial suicide.
>>
>>60275262
Gamma World 7th tried something like that IIRC.

Having character packs that give you "core" cards that your character just gets, and having any boosters be equipment/other loot and stuff would be ideal (especially if you tie it to reward types, i.e., have a "dragon hoard" pack that the players get to open when they loot a dragon hoard, etc.).

Bonus points if you create some sort of sink into the system, like somehow making it necessary, or at least logical to write on the cards.
>>
>>60275262
I was thinking about a narrative deck-building RPG once. Basically you have cards with flowery bullshit like "swung his mighty sword, cleaving the foe in twain"

Then on your turn you have to set your cards in order so it makes a cohesive sentence describing what your character does.
>>
>>60275316
That makes me think of a CAH RPG.

Which, thinking about it, could be pretty fun.
>>
>>60275296
Wouldn't want to get into the CCG part of things, I'd like it to work much more like EPIC, where all the cards are already there, you just gotta take your picks.

And then players would have a character sheet, which would also function as a playmat.

>>60275316
I still haven't thought about the ramifications of the system, but I'm thinking of going more self-sustained cards. Although, having cards that can combo from each other. Though, for that, you could have "Enhancer cards" with names like "of Demonbane" which can be combo'd with any equipment card to give it +1 in general and +1 against demons.

--------------------

In general, I'm thinking of extending the idea of handless deck-building by having 5 slots in the player's playmat, and every time you draw a new card, you decide whether to put it on the field or put it to the bottom of your deck. On the first turn you fill the 5 slots in the playmat, and thereafter you draw one card per turn.
>>
>>60275378
Then, you would have "Reserve cards" instead of a hand, which you can use at any time. These would include your basic gear, like your strongest weapon, maybe even signature spells. I would kind of leave it open.

I would probably allow the players to first use cards from their reserve before drawing to fill on the first turn, and after that, they would sacrifice a draw to use a card from the reserve.

Of course, once the cards are on the table, you can use them as much as you want, though some might have effects that throw them back to the deck or reserve, or have cooldowns.
>>
>>60273497
It makes sense if you go for 'realistic' kind of game. Otherwise keep the scatter the same to reward skillful play (predicting enemy movement without clear vision)
>>
>>60273161
The real question is why to divide strength and stamina.
>>
File: broken-bone.png (28 KB, 512x512)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>60264706
Struggling to create a battle system for my table shitbrew, we use step-dice-pool with keep best/worst accordingly.
Let's say you want to attack and have [insert weapon skill] d8 and your enemy d6.
You see all the advantages you have plus your special abilities and attain a +2 Bonus.
Your enemy does the same but with some disavantages he gets -1.

>You roll 3d8 and keep best.
>Your enemy roll 2d6 and keep worst.

The highest result win, pretty straightfoward, the problem is that the rolls have no granularity and we want a battle system wich can generate three levels of damage.

>Level 1: Superficial damage, wich hurts but is not enough to cause serious trauma or make you unconcious.
>Level 2: Serious trauma, bones crack and deep cuts makes loss of blood a life-threatening situation.
>Level 3: Say bye bye to your members. Mutilations and smashed bones.

Now, this kind of effects tends to be unfair to players so I was thinking of using a "defense bar" kinda like the "withering attacks" from exalted, they represent your ability to defend yourself and turn hits into grazes (level 1) once it's depleted any attack you suffer has the potential of causing level 2 or 3 effects.

Struggling to translate all this into rolls.
>>
>>60275378
>Wouldn't want to get into the CCG part of things,
Thank god, I didn't want to judge your idea on that merit, but CCGs as a business model (and that is essentially what it is) is fucking cancer.

>>60275405
Having a separate "equipment" and "actions" deck could work.

You could even have a backpack, which are the equipment cards your character isn't wearing ATM.

Could go with strong characters having a lot of (heavy, hence more powerful) equipment, smart characters having many (complex, hence more useful) actions, and quick characters having less of both but can access/use more at a time.
>>
>>60275558
The ideal physical attributes for any system is
>Physical (overall)
Divided into:
>Might (Burst)
>Finesse (Control)
>Resistance (Endurance)

And this can be applied into mental attributes as well, if you want your character to be a "speedster" and have agility without strenght
or maybe you want him to be charismatic without being intelligent you should have to buy talent/edges/abilities/whatever for that.
>>
>>60273161
Not all games divide Strength and Dexterity, heck some games don't even have attributes at all. In my system I keep them separate because I feel physical strength/endurance and physical speed/precision are fairly distinct and different from each other. To answer your last question, the fast and precise man has higher Dexterity, the slow and powerful one has high Strength, and the all-round athlete has both stats at medium to high levels.
>>
>>60276086
>has both stats at medium
this got me thinking
normally in most games investing in both stats instead of specializing would be inferior to specializing in one stat

what if players were punished for having large difference between physical stats? to encourage all-round development? character with high strength and low dexterity would be slower and clumsier than one with mid strength and low dexterity, due to all that muscle weight. investing in strength or dexterity while avoiding constitution would have you rip your tendons first time you use that strength/agility for reals.

probably same thing for mental stats.

would that work?
>>
>>60276126
Instead of saying "What if players were punished" why not say "What if players were rewarded"? Let's face facts, players are a lot more receptive towards rewards than punishments, doubly so when it comes to character creation. Some players are going to want one attribute to be very high, and needing to invest in the others to avoid crippling (or even minor) penalties will feel like a chore at best, an obstacle between them and fun at worst.

So let's make it an incentive, shall we? I'll give an example using D&D 5E:

Balanced Physique: Characters whose Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution are all within 4 points of each other have a +2 to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws.
>>
>>60276266
I like the concept, but then you need to factor in for that bonus all the time when balancing your game. In other words, most Target numbers are difficulty levels, whatever you call them, will need to be higher if everybody goes around with balanced stats.
>>
>>60275405
Dont want to shill, but if you haven't seen it already, take a look at the system I posted up here, >>60265967, it's a ccg rpg using MtG so a lot of the rules baggage is preloaded into knowing how to play another game, but I see you're thinking about a lot of the same problems I am.
>>
>>60276335
It ain't shilling if you're not planning on making money with those words.

This isn't my current project anyway, so I'm just spitballing mostly. Gotta return to Fairytale.
>>
>>60276295
In 5E PCs and monsters both make saving throws, so no target number adjustment is necessary. Just give the monster / NPC a +2 to its roll if its attributes (clearly listed in its stat block) are within a +2 modifier of each other. A great many monsters do NOT have similar physical attributes so this would rarely apply to them.

If you're worried about the bonus being too defensive-only you could also have in increase the character's save DC for Str/Dex/Con based abilities.
>>
>>60276266
that's way too generic
there must be specific outcome, so it can be considered a trade-off and players can still specialize if they so desire

and since both well-developed athlete and a regular guy have balanced stats, you'd be rewarding not just balanced development, but also mediocrity, and that should not happen
>>
>>60276522
>>60276295
Another way is to simply have them layered on top of each other.

For example:

Your DEX determines your AC.
Your STR determines how heavy an armor you can wear, which determines your DR.
Your CON determines your HP.

You can also do the same for offense:

DEX gives you accuracy
STR gives you bigger weapons->more damage
CON gives you stamine that lets you use mroe special moves before resting

If you grab your spreadsheet, you'll notice that these act as multipliers towards each other, so if you have X points to spend, putting some into each is going to give you the best result mathematically (but exclude you from specialized options).
>>
File: 1527644714615.jpg (177 KB, 827x1170)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>60265019
Why in the world is your game so low profile? Searching does basically nothing to turn up info about it. Shouldn't you have like a mailing list people can at least subscribe too to see when it comes out?

Are you trying to make less money?
>>
File: white-chain-2-final.png (598 KB, 1041x922)
598 KB
598 KB PNG
>>60265019
Pg 3:
"Lone Wolf fists"
Is this the best name? I personally think it's clumsy to say

>"Welcome"
This page begins with a welcome, that's important and you should keep to that on this page and also address the rest of it as if you were talking to the person reading it and not writing an exposition-history schoolbook.

>"Then finally, silence. The ceaseless, unbroken silence of a dead world. "
Remove this, the preceding sentences and subsequent paragraph are better without it.

>"Those few who huddled in vaults and bunkers and the secret, sheltered places outlived their world"
Remove the "few" for better sentence flow

>"and the shrieking winds went silent and still, they emerged"
Remove "silent and" Not every single thing needs two adjectives/adverbs/etc. Two in one sentence breaks up the flow of smooth reading.
I know I just said remove two different instances of silence, but don't fret, you can keep your use of silent in the 4th paragraph.

>"Gods and Demons and creatures from before history were awoken and driven mad or changed by the nuclear winds into predators of nightmarish power."
Ugly flow, remove either demons or creatures and keep it to two, get rid of the "or changed" and change "nightmarish power" into "nightmares" e.g.
>"Gods and Demons from before history were awoken, driven mad by the nuclear winds into the monsters of your nightmares."

>"In the dust and wind between the tribes, lone heroes wander the wastes, pursuing ancient destinies of heroism and strength. "
Add "And Yet, ..." because this goes against the apocalypitc theme of the preceding paragraphs

>"With this book, you and your friends get to play some of these heroes and pursue their destinies in the smoldering grave of the world. "
Instead of "With this book", how about something similar but immersive such as changing it to "In this smoldering world, you and your friends will guide these heroes in the pursuit of their destiny"
>>
I've been kicking around an idea for an RPG/System that uses cards instead of dice to determine outcome. Not in the way Malifaux does it, where the top card is flipped in lieu of a random roll of the dice, but in more of a Dogs In The Vineyard sort of way, where all the options are on the table from the start, and you might choose to fail now in order to succeed later.

So players would have ten cards in hand, 1-9 and an 'Ace.' When confronted with a test against a static difficulty, the chosen player adds their native stat to a card from their hand, which is then discarded after the challenge. In an opposed test, the GM chooses a card from his hand, the player then responds with a card from their hand (and there is some interplay there, with talents/abilities allowing the switching out of cards) Once a card is burned in this way, you can't recover it until your character has rested up (but of course there are talents that let you recover them early). If you run out of cards mid-caper, you 'crash' and lose health, and then you shuffle and redraw 5 cards from your discard pile. Repeat until your character is wrecked.

So it'd be like: Scale the castle wall (Difficulty 9) Native "Strength" stat 4 + a 5 or higher from your hand = success.

The Goblin attacks, he *GM plays a card, for a total of 7* swings hard, you bring your sword up in defence and (Player chooses to either pass now by playing a 7 or higher, or fail in the hopes of using the high card on their next chance to attack, to kill the Goblin outright).

An Ace is basically an insta-pass for any test. But it can't be redrawn through any ability, and you only get it back next session. The GM has his own ace to shut down anything stupid, like: "I shoot the BBEG through the eye with my bow from 500 yards away. Ace."

Obviously it's more of a narrative system than a gamey system, but I feel like the diminishing resources aspect is unique, and could be fun. Thoughts? Already done? Slowly failing not fun at all?
>>
>>60277124
Check out Phoenix: Dawn Command. It's by Keith Baker and may give you inspiration.
>>
Is it wrong to basically rip gameplay from an old turn-based video game to use in my tabletop?
Can I get sued for that if I publish the tabletop?
>>
File: Yabalchoath.jpg (741 KB, 980x1386)
741 KB
741 KB JPG
>>60265019
Normally, I think a game should go
>1. introduction to world and game
>2. very basic/key gameplay and mechanics
>3. character creation packages
>4. Very important lore
>5. advanced/in-depth mechanics
>6. Any other world-building

Yours has swapped 4 and 5, the rules length means it's 70 pages until a person can see what clan they want to join, which could instead serve as character inspiration to ease people in to the lore part of their character.

Also, good job on the factions. They require some rewording and minor thinning, but they are appropriate in their brevity for a player trying to pick one while making a character.
>>
>>60272199
Interesting, thanks for the tip. It's not quite what I had in mind... The system in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh3rwKh5LtY) reminds me a bit of the Malifaux system, with the suits and such, but it's a good twist on the use of cards.

You should also see this >>60277144 - he describes it as a 'Deckbuilding RPG'
>>
>>60277304
Mechanics can't be copyrighted, so you are in the clear (but the names for mechanics can be, so look out for that).
>>
>>60265019
The character sheet in the back doesn't have a very interesting design.

But that's not what I have feedback on, it's that the quality looks like you took a picture for ants and then pasted it into paint and made it 300% bigger before putting it in the PDF.
>>
>>60277682
Jesus, as if I needed more reasons to hate Numenera. What the fuck is that Eoris-tier shitfest?
>>
>>60279802
More reasons?

I'm curious why you would dislike a well-designed game, unless you haven't read or played it.
>>
>>60276629
>>60277037
>>60277346
>>60277682
Aww you guys; feedback! This is fantastics!

>reads feedback
>cries from a little ego death

But for real this is great. I'm going to add these to my little feedback document for the non-eyebleed version. Thank you everybody!
>>
>>60279802
Here's the back side of the character sheet for you as well. It is a trifold (it folds and is made for physical play) and is a very well designed character sheet.

If it had the over-designed mechanics of Eoris and all the unnecessary data crammed in instead of artistic space, it would be somewhat comparable.

>>60279978
I'll get around to the rules portion probably tomorrow. I could spend all day just fixing wording and making it more enjoyable to read basically everywhere, but don't be disheartened.

Do you have a business e-mail for people to send stuff too, or are you just going to scour /tg/?
>>
File: 1431463087625.jpg (52 KB, 391x364)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>60279954
I haven't read the game itself, but it turns me off from a purely thematic standpoint. I have no opinion on the mechanical game itself, I just hate that it has the aesthetic focus of a middle schooler's sketchbook.
>>
So first time posting here but I'm looking for some tips and advice.

I'm homebrewing my first DnD 5E campaign, so far it's going great and I love Dming, but I wanna do more with the monsters that are avialable in the books.
So far I've been creating new monsters now and then or giving monsters that are strong enough to face the party small HP buffs or skills/features to make things a little more challenging. Anyway, what I want to know is what else can I do to give my encounters a little more mechanical flavour? And on that note, what's an effective way on leveling down stronger monsters to meet an appropriate challenge rating for the party?

I feel like the Mon-Man, Volo's, etc. are all great, but sometimes monsters just seem too weak/not challenging enough, or in the case of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes they're just too strong.
>>
>>60280072
Yeah, I'm even on g+. What's the safety level of posting it here?

Also, I'm not discouraged: quite the contrary! People care about the game! Hallelujah!

It always stabs your pride a little when you get *really important* feedback. But the alternative to accepting it is going all John Moerk and acting like everybody who criticizes you is an idiot or a jerk.
>>
>>60280256
That's fair. I'm a big fan of the mechanics and think it's a great study for the Game Design General but the aesthetics can be pretty vapid.

>>60280290
Publically available and commercial things that we can already find on google are fine, personal e-mails less so.
>>
>>60280348
Well my blog is here: http://mushroompress.blogspot.com

I'll take all the feedback you'll give. I'm also not opposed to talking about it on public forums like ENworld or therpgsite, if you want to start a thread. I always risk accusations of shilling if I start a thread about my own games, which is why I typically don't.
>>
Wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully I can get some feedback here.

Doing a game with a partner that involves a lot of sexuality. Started out as just back and forth post-by-post roleplay but we're thinking of adding dice rolls in to just make it a little more dynamic. We don’t want to go full-on RPG but tinkering with the idea of putting in an element of probability to influence encounters or challenges instead of railroading a story.
Anyway, without getting into too many specifics, the roleplay is very anime inspired, set in the modern day, and involves magic powered by emotions with the main player character using love-powered magic and the antagonists using lust-powered magic.

I'm only familiar with D&D 5E, so I was thinking of basing stats and skills off of what you'd find on a 5E character sheet, only with slight alterations. Main stats would be str, dex, con, int, and cha; however I was thinking of swapping Wisdom with Emotion.
As for the skills most of what 5E has can still apply to what we’re doing, but stuff like animal handling, survival, history, or nature just wouldn’t really have a use. Anyway, I guess this is a long winded way of asking what are some other skills that could be relevant in a modern day world with emotion based magic?
>>
>>60275060
I think for now I am sticking with Semper Bello ("always war") for now. Simple enough.
>>
>>60280287
Scaling has to be different based on your parties abilities. In general giving enemies very scary but unique effects is a good way to surprise players with some diversity. You could also play more with the vertical aspect of combat.

>>60280446
Why not look at a game like Monster Hearts 2? Are you looking for something more like a game or more like rules for your ERP? If less complex, you could keep it open and let a player choose what skills they want.
>>
>>60280528
Yeah I guess I was moreso looking for rules. Monster Hearts has some interesting stuff in it that I can see myself pulling, but I'm working with my player to get input as well. we're just a bit of a mental block right now.
>>
>>60280432
Your character sheet spells it Zhui, the document all has it as "Zui"
>>
> when your reference material is a year late to be published
Jesus balls Helion I just want to give you money for specialist material why is this so hard.
>>
>>60281152
That is *probably* due to a language barrier. I'm the only native english speaker on the team!

I would like to note that I didn't design that sheet. It was done by our actual-factual graphic designer (he did our logos too!).

He's a pretty awesome dude, too; I asked him to tinker with the logo and sheet for LWF and he's doing it pro-bono (I LOVE that guy...)
>>
What are some interesting ways to handle character advancement that don't involve relying on GM fiat? Mythras has a rule where critically failing a skill check improves that skill permanently and the OSR has gold as exp but what are some others?
>>
>>60282445
CoC has "roll over your skill to improve it by d10 if you used it during the session" (it's a d100 roll under system).

I'm not sure I like it. Honestly, I'm pretty satisfied with leveling up using milestones.
>>
>>60282473
I'd say stuff like gold as exp is better than milestone exp when handled well since it encourages a particular style of play and gives directionless players a goal. The only problem is that rules like that are specific, gold as exp works for campaigns about people searching for wealth in dangerous environments and not much outside that
>>
>>60264706
>What do you do when you've lost faith in a project?

I drop it and salvage the best part to graft them into a bigger and better projet i still care about, graft may be , factions, rule systems ,characters everything that can be adapted and re-written
>>
Are there any resources on the theory of game design?
>>
>>60282705
pullman's podcast, mark brown's youtube channel https://youtu.be/7L8vAGGitr8
uhhhhh
UHHH
>>
>>60282577
>I'd say stuff like gold as exp is better than milestone exp when handled well since it encourages a particular style of play and gives directionless players a goal.

You can technically do that with milestones, as long as you set them beforehand. This could be character/party goals, possibly with sub-goals.

Apocalypse World's "let's decide what gives us XP this session" could be another interesting solution.
>>
>>60275558
Because Mike Tyson could push Mo Farahs shit in, but Mo could run away from Tyson far longer than Tyson could keep up for.
Strength
Stamina
>>
>>60282792
So Stamina is only for extremely long exertion, we're talking over an hour?
>>
>>60282792
Sounds more like a justification for having a "long distance runner" skill, than an entire stat for itself.
>>
>>60282767
I feel like a codified mechanic would still be better for it's intended niche though even if milestone can be good enough for some people
>>
>>60282824
Aerobic endurance is about your current physical state as much as your skill in managing fatigue, it makes sense from a realism perspective to have endurance as a stat
>>
>>60282878
>current physical state
So, it's levels of exhaustion, or hit points?

I know a good system that tracks it realistically but it just combines strength and endurance like real life.
>>
>>60282878
I mean, if you want to go that deep in simulation, you can, but I've found that for the majority of games that I run or play it's just not something that's worth the stat-slot, and is generally more of a hassle than it's worth.
>>
>>60282937
I don't know if you're being intentionally dense but It's a general level of fitness thing, someone who doesn't do cardio will get tired or out of breath quicker than someone that does even if the guy who doesn't has fuck off muscles
>>
>>60282969
If you don't care about realism the question becomes about what is balanced or what's interesting at which point it depends so much on the rest of the system that it's not realy worth making a blanket statement about
>>
>>60283032
>general level of fitness
So assuming it's a human, it's just strength?
>>
>>60283032
I'm not being dense, you're ignoring reality. Even a fat as fuck adult male can run and keep in a fight for 30 minutes. He's really only limited by how long he can do anaerobic (muscle related) activities.
>>
>>60283173
Most fat people can't run of for longer than 10 minutes and boxers for example specifically train to be able to keep boxing for extended periods of time. Beyond that distance runners despite not being as strong as boxers can run for even longer than a boxer can on a physical level
>>
>>60283063
It's just as pointless to talk about it in a simulation focused system, because the rest of the system may cover it with things like skills or making it a sub-stat of strength or a specialization or whatever.
>>
>>60283283
From a simulationist perspective it makes no sense for endurance to be a learned skill since you can't skill your way into running a marathon if you're out of shape, having it as a sub stat or specialization might work depending on how you handled it but why not just have a stat for endurance?
>>
>>60283257
You're once again talking about literally hours of running. Since it's based on training, why not just make it an extended running skill?

Most humans on earth can run a 12k marathon with minimal to no training. I have personally seen and can find many examples on google of obese people doing this with basic willpower.

Unless we're talking about prolonged and high intensity like boxing for your life. Which again is limited by your muscles not your cardio.

Why be simulationist for something that doesn't simulate reality?
>>
>>60283500
I don't know what to say, we don't agree with each other and it's not like anecdotes will change either of our minds, if you can link me to some article that proves your right but otherwise I'm just going to stop responding because I'll get nowhere
>>
>>60282705
>>
>Thread Topic
I try to save whatever I liked, or whatever lines up with the new one

The goal is to be practical with ideas and let them stay in a rarely visited HDD sector unless some parts of the rules can be reintegrated
>>
File: 1448152761694.png (415 KB, 496x853)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
>mfw it doesn't work
post yfw it doesn't work
>>
File: 1514866842627.png (77 KB, 188x264)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
>>60287919
>tfw you tried to fix what you currently view as a discrepancy but you then realize after undoing it you had made that mechanic to offset a far greater evil
>>
File: dont do that.png (42 KB, 235x236)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>60287974
>we're the players and our game is the BBEG
>>
>>60282445
MyFaRoG has optional rules for awarding XP based on failures and successes, depending on how difficult the roll was.
>>
>>60288328
Here it is: https://myfarog.org/2018/02/14/optional-experience-points-rules-for-myfarog-second-edition/
>>
File: 1226247110595.jpg (184 KB, 500x500)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
Hey /gdg/. This is my first time posting here.

I started making a campaign system based on input from my players when they turned their noses up at an out-of-the-box campaign system for Battletech. They absolutely hated the idea of things like persistent damage, random assignment tables (Not being able to use their same four mechs each time they die), or having to fight / be mook opfors. I hated the idea of being forced into being a GM for a bunch of random guys who refuse to contact each other, and not being able to have "My dudes", too. Unfortunately, Battletech's campaign systems are very much laid out to have player-vs-gm, and even player-vs-player games seem to need the GM. They play better as an RPG campaign in someone's garage than an LGS setting.

However, as I tinkered with the system, I noticed that rather than being a Battletech-specific system, I think I came up with a very general purpose LGS-focused campaign system that doesn't need a GM - or at least the foundations thereof. In fact, it looks like it'd work with just about any game system that balanced forces with points. I was hoping that I could get some input and/or second opinions on how to do things, but don't know if posting things too early is treated as "asking someone to do their homework for them"

Is there a preferred format for upping stuff, or is posting what I have in the thread in raw text the standard?
>>
>>60274929
>easy-to-remember, that is evocative of ancient warfare.
From my perspective anyhow, none of the names you are suggesting are easier to remember than your current working title.

I'm no history buff though, so maybe that kind of naming resonates better with that crowd.
>>
>>60289061
You can use a program like OpenOffice to export the file into pdf form and post it that way, or use Googledoc and link it. Those are generally better due to the 2000 character limit.
>>
Starting to hammer out a new combat system that takes a lot from many other systems, and really just mashes them together.

>Universal Mechanic
This system uses the special FFG dice. To make a test you apply two stats, the larger one determines the number of dice (Ability), and the smaller number determines how many dice is upgraded (to Proficiency). Enemies or passive opposition generates Difficulty and Challenge dice. Success and Failure is determined as normal, while Advantage and Threat have various purposes.

>Turn structure
Both player turn and immediate enemy is handled during the same turn. This is the initiative slot, once over, move on to the next player and handle him and his immediate enemies. A turn last for 1-3 roll. You make one attack roll per initiative slot.

>Edge
A fight is measured on an Edge Meter. You battle to make the Edge Marker reach the enemy end and enemies tries to reach your end. Successful test move the Edge Marker towards the enemy and failed tests move it towards your end. In combat your end is determined by Grit.
Not totally sure how to determine Grit yet, but it will be a measure of how much punishment you can take and also your bravery and willpower to fight on. I think various takes will have various amount of Grit too.

>Combat Stakes
Not all combat is to the the death, some will end before
Normal: 3x Advantage gives a wound
Lethal: 2x Advantage gives a wound
Deadly: 1x Advantage gives a wound
When deal or take a wound, you can raise the stakes. Edge meter is reset when stakes are raised. Characters and enemies can't die unless the stakes are deadly
>>
>Taken Out
When edge marker reach your end, you are taken out, with how determined by the opposing side. You can voluntarily take yourself out of combat and determine how. Taken out includes, surrender, run away, death and many others.
Instead of being taken out, you can raise the stakes, but the marker will start closer to your end.

>Wounds and conditions
You gotta follow the the description or take the penalty. Either you act a certain way or you are penalized. Fx a hurt knee means either acting like it (low movement and whatever) or ignore it and run around, chase but take a penalty to that.

Im looking for feedback on my combat system, which functions as on a slider instead of having your own dmg track go down. Edge is a measure how close you are to winning, not how damaged you are. Wounds arent actually implemented yet, but they will give a penalty thereby creating a deathspiral (fighters should be able to avoid this compared to nonfighters).

I have mixed some ideas from other systems, FFG dice, "Raising the stakes" from Dogs in the Vineyard, "Cant die unless agreed to it" from Tanesomething, conditions from Legends of the Wulin
>>
>>60291127
>Edge
so a good fighter would be an edgelord by default?
>>
Hi /gdg/!

I'm trying to make a cyberpunk-ish game with magic which totally isn't shadowrun or eclipse phase I swear, also that's irrelevant. It's based on d100 and I wanted some tips.

Here's what I have now and what I want advice with:

>Four primary character stats range from 1 to 40 and roughly represent emotinal effort that the character can or wants to make during any kind of action. They are Vigor, Wits, Insight and Resolve, which are respectively agression and raw force of personality, cunning and intuition, thoughtfulness and analytical ability, courage and strength of character.
>Willpower is a secondary stat and is a measure of mental resilience. It equals the average of the four primary stats.
>Actual physical abilities are represented by skills that range from 1 to 100. When you roll something, you add your skill to the stat relevant to the situation - e. g. add Guns to Vigor if you're spraying the target with bullets with no consideration to collateral damage, or to Insight if you're carefully aiming a sniper rifle to take a single shot from a distance, or WIts if you're cosplaying John Preston from Equilibrium with his gun kata.
>Augmentations and magics/psi/sorcery/etc are partly exclusive due to reasons. I have a pseudo- or even anti-scientific explanation for that, but I won't post it here.
>Augmenting yourself fucks up your mind AND soul. Everyone has a special stat that's pretty close to Humanity or Essence in other cyberpunk games. It starts at 0. Every augmentation has a "cost", which lowers that stat. Every time you hit a certain negative value determined by your willpower, you can receive a mental trauma or disorder if you don't pass a willpower check, and even if you don't, all your primary stats are lowered by 5 regardless. If you hit 0 in a stat, you can't feel emotions related to it. If you hit 0 in all stats, congrats, you're a beep boop robot. In other words, you aug yourself and it fucks up your psyche.

Cont.
>>
>>60291435
>Larning magics is different. Having a positive value in that stat indicates magical ability, and the value indicates its strength. To increase the value, the character must undergo a really stressful experience (read: your typical "dark" capeshit power awakening, sort of like in Worm) every time. If you don't go crazy from it, every time you hit a certain value determined by your willpower, you have to pass a willpower check or receive a mental trauma or disorder. The higher the Special Stat, the less you are connected to reality, the more of a magical being you become. When you hit maximum (100), you are no longer considered human and more of a demon/angel/spirit/ghost/etc, in the worst sense, determined by your personality.

What are possible drawback of becoming a magical being in such a way? I'm thinking about mirroring what is going there with augmentations and lowering primary stats, because supernatural beings are supposed to be utterly and completely alien to human mind, but I want a second opinion and it feels just a little bit boring.
>>
I am making a dungeon crawler based on Warcraft 1-2-3, and I'm stuck a bit with race/class division.

The way I've designed thing, Alliance is currently looking pretty good.
There are 2 classes (Knight, Conjurer) shared between all 3 races (Humans, Elves, Dwarves), two classes shared between two races (Gunner for Humans and Dwarves and Ranger for Humans and Elves), and 2 racial classes (Blood Mage for Elves and Mountain King for Dwarves)

With the Horde things are looking worse.
They have more races (Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, Ogres, and I had to omit Goblins), most shared "must have" classes are orc-themed (Warlord, Shaman, Assassin, Warlock that are shared, and Blademaster that is orc-specific), and I have trouble creating classes that would fit other races (all I can think of is Shadow Hunter for Trolls only and probably Chieftain for Tauren only, even though it will cannibalize Warlord and Shaman a bit) without outright inventing things, which I try to avoid.

Lorewise it kinda makes sense, since Alliance is a coalition of kingdoms, while Horde has always been "main orcs+some allies", but doesn't seem like very elegant game design.

What to do?
>>
>>60291597
why would you care about side balance in a dungeon crawler? Is it supposed to be a competitive thing between one side controlling allies and the other horde?

If not, what's the point?
>>
>>60291627
just for the sake of design
i.e. you choose a faction and can only pick classes/races from your faction
but if you want to play Horde you see orcs in every option
I'm not sure if that's good design. doesn't seem elegant
>>
>>60291435

>d100 Rollunder, Attribute + Skill
Straightforward so far

>Willpower, derived as average of all four attributes
Not sure I like this, the numbers involved in a d100 system don't play nice with this sort of thing. Multiplication/Division is a hard sell for players that aren't old school Rolemaster playing grognards.
Got a more elegant solution in mind?

>Attribute + Skill as determined by roll/No linked skills
You'll discover super quick that d100 systems *really* don't play nice with this kind of idea, there's a reason you see this happen more in 2dX systems or Dice Pool.
If you're determined to keep it, your skill list should resemble Unknown Armies, and NOT Eclipse Phase - otherwise the player bookkeeping with those skill totals becomes a total clusterfuck.

>Augmentations
I have to say straight up, I hate essence systems so I'm biased. I don't see how sticking a pacemaker in someone makes them somehow inherently less human (Sell me on that narrative justification anon!)
What I will ask though is, what mechanical benefit comes from maintaining Essence? Because otherwise all your PCs are going to wind up Chromed out Street Sams/Gun Bunnies because there's no reason not to.

>Magic working on a stress system
Why not just rip off Eclipse Phase's Stress system for their Psi or do that Savage Worlds optional rule where casting is simply done as a negative modifier to your roll but the results of failure *suck*? Must faster than a separate WILL check *every single spell*
Have you worked out the mechanics of the ascendancy system? because you only mentioned the end goal, not what makes it tick up or down on that track.

>No mention of fate point systems
Understand that fate points are kind of a big deal whether you have them or not - their inclusion/exclusion says a *huge* deal about the tone and expectations of the game.
If you have them or not is entirely your call, but you should have a very good explanation as to why.
>>
>>60291687
I think you shouldn't have to choose between horde and alliance unless there's some mechanics involved. But those mechanics would probably be more related to available gear and goals than available character races and classes.

Even if you did, there's no reason to limit the available races to one or the other. You are playing dungeon crawling people, who tend to be highly mercenary in their approach. So what if the paladins hired an orcish trailblazer? Or the forsaken have an actually still living human necromancer on board. As long as it makes sense, it makes sense,
>>
>>60291689
Thanks! Skill list is short, around 20 skills total. I didn't think it was necessary to post it.

Willpower is a placeholder for now. Maybe make it a primary stat and give more points on chargen.

Narrative justification is that souls exist as a sum of all possible combinations of electrical impulses in the body. Biological bodies are conductive in their whole, so there is a lot of combinations. Machine parts require only a single certain combination to function properly, so they lower the total possible amount, and thus take a part of your soul. Magic uses the soul, so you'll need one. When you are under a great deal of stress, your mind can scramble itself and thus increase the possible amount of combinations via all the insane thoughts that never could came to you before.

My main goal was to make augs and magics limit each other and NOT work together well, to reduce power level.

I already partly ripped off EP's stress system. I didn't say anything about a separate will check on any single spell. The Special Stat ranges from -100 to 100, and when you reach -Willpower or +Willpower, or -2*Willpower or +2*Willpower, and so on, you roll a check or go crazy. I did mention what makes the track tick in >>60291536 - each time when something really horrible happens to you, you can get powers, and yes, you can do something horrible to yourself for that purpose to get more powers.

No fate points. I hate that concept with passion.
>>
>>60291859
And yes, I'm fully aware that the PCs will wind up chromed or magick'ed out. The mechanical benefit of maintaining essence is that you don't go crazy and don't lose your primary stats.
>>
>>60291859
>20 skills
That's still 80 combinations of attribute + skill players have to keep track of. Hope you're good at character sheet design.

>Willpower
Could have it, rather as a derived stat, as a static number modified by race/class (if you've got either of those concepts) and merits (i.e. the way Savage Worlds handles Charisma and Toughness). It'd mean fewer changes in the number but those changes matter a great deal (which is honestly the end result of the averages idea anyway)

>Soul stuffs
Alright, so we've gone Shadowrun here. Don't fix what ain't broke I suppose.

>Ascendance system
So... horrible things tick it up or down?
What does the opposite? calm, stable chilling out?

>No fate points, hate it with a passion.
You still need to understand *why* they exist.
Fate points give narrative control to the player, right? You'll notice when you read around that fate points are more prevalent/powerful a mechanic in games that emphasise either player disempowerment or GM ruthlessness. Effectively, the more lethal the game, the more important it is to have such a system.
If characters go splat, with no mechanical recourse, the game instantly stops being fun for that player - when fate points are in a system the player reaction is 'I should have spent my fate points better' rather than 'that was unfair'.
Now, the two poles of 'no fate points are needed' are D&D (You're badass heroes getting shit done, you're too awesome to die to stupid shit and it's super hard to actually kill a character) and Call of Chthulhu (Where the deal is: Your character WILL die and that's reinforced, repeatedly from the get-go - thus part of the deal). Maybe the contract with the player is 'you should have planned better' or 'caution is literally the name of the game'.
You *need* to work out 'the deal' with the player.
>>
>>60292054
I never even read or played Shadowrun.

Horrible things tick it up. Augs tick it down. There is no ther way.

I do understand WHY fate points exist. I just hate the idea of getting a get out of jail free card without any effort, effort being actual preparation for adventure at the very least. This game contains both high technology and magic, so it's not like the players won't have options.
>>
>>60292150
>Horrible things tick it up. Augs tick it down. There is no other way.

I just realized that this sounds stupid. Maybe I should redo that, or at least clarify that there is no repercussions from merely going up or down on that track, only reaching certain points.

Horrible things can make you go insane by themselves. If they dont,
>>
>>60292193
>Horrible things can make you go insane by themselves. If they don't, what follows will.
>>
>>60292150
>
I would, if only to take a look under the hood at something else that's done the setting/theme of your system already. Might pick up a decent idea or two, or might see something that'll make you go 'that's fucking retarded, I can do it so much neater'.

>Ascension
How often do you expect it to tick up then RAW? WoD's Mage had a similar thing (Gnosis I think was the stat?) but getting to the point of becoming an NPC (Because realistically, I imagine this is what happens to angelised characters?) requires some *serious* effort on the player's part and is unlikely to happen in regular play. Remember, if you're incentivising power from the mechanic you can't just treat it like a sanity meter and call it a day - the players who play mages will wind up burning themselves out every three sessions as they have to reroll.

>Fate points as get out of jail free cards
Then either you don't understand fate points or you've been in groups that don't handle them properly. If your player's aren't panicking because they've just spent their last fate point and they know for a fact that the next fuckup means an instant reroll, then you're not doing it right. Fate points are unspoken permission for the GM to be *brutal* because it allows the players to 'opt out' of that brutality a limited number of times. Think of the game as a tempo that unceasingly ramps upward in intensity, and the only thing that dials it back is the expenditure of these points.
You haven't spoken on Crits and Crit failures, but if your systems crit failures amount to 'character is now fine bloody mist' that means that your characters are perpetually one bad roll of the dice away from a reroll. Like I said, D&D5e handles this by making characters hard to kill, the death save mechanic being a big part of it. CoC gets around it because that's the conceit of the game, that's the contract you, the player, signed up for.
>>
>>60292307
I guess what I'm trying to say is, what mechanics will ensure that the player isn't just going to die the next bad roll in a 'lol too bad' kind of a way?

You said magic and augs - I'm assuming this is your final answer. What I'm wondering is the *how?* - will they do it in a different manner to one another? is the conceit of the game that a player will be one of the other? what about character who does neither? Are you allowing characters who do neither in the first place?
>>
>>60292370
>will they do it in a different manner to one another?

That's why I'm here for. I asked for suggestions in >>60291536

>is the conceit of the game that a player will be one of the other?
Yes. Or both, with greatly reduced power on both sides.

>what about character who does neither? Are you allowing characters who do neither in the first place?
The character who does neither doesn't suffer any drawbacks which are supposed to be significant, and doesn't go crazy. Yes, I am allowing characters who do neither. I actually want to have a "great power has a great personal cost" theme, but that's a long shot.
>>
>>60292484
Alright, we have theme. Can work with that.

Well, with magic that's simple, prepared spells, pre-casting, contingencies and sequences (If planning is going to be a major theme as well, I'd really reinforce that players look at the contingency rules)

Augs not so simple without going into something that's either too similar to magic, or fate points with the serial numbers filed off.

But, a thought given that theme, would be good to look into Red Markets, the way that game operates has a concept of 'succeed at cost' - you give up something: expensive gear, actual physical damage, the ability to do something, reputation, etc. - something with tangible, substantial mechanical downsides tied to giving up the whatever, in order to succeed instead of fail. A good example, I had to give up a fully upgraded bow in order to not drown to death.
Now it does have a fate point system, but the game lethality is ridiculously high and in one of the two rulesets you cannot default a skill without a fate point spend - I've seen characters go through the full allotment (with a maxed stat for it) in the first 15 minutes of play.
>>
bump
>>
>I don't know what resolution mechanic to use!
The two axes that define the scope and usabiliy of a resolution mechanic are how dependant on randomness you want your game to be, and how much room for granulariy you want in your game. A single dice gives you equal probability, more than one dice gives you an average in the middle and rarer extremes which can be a good way to define how rare you want them to be. Do you want potentially infinite scaling of challenges and character growth? Go for roll-over. Do you want players to have clear and concise limits to how much power they can get? Go for roll-under. How many moving parts and minutia do you want your game to have? The larger the number range, the more tiny numbers you can cram into it. If your steps are too large between each modifier or you don't need as many moving parts, consider using smaller dice. Do you want to spend less time on math or have every modifier matter on its own rather than as a step towards the larger goal? Use dice pools. Do you want players to have more safety and randomness be something to spice things up rather than be completely depedant on it? Put more weight in the non-moving parts of the game such as permanent or passive modifiers and growth and keep dice to a minimum. 5+d20 and 19+d6 are completely different.

>I want to focus on a certain aspect or playstyle but I don't know how!
Reward the playstyles you favor. Put less emphasis in the aspects you don't want. If you don't want your game to be a tactical combat simulator and would rather have the adventures be about travel, don't give me a page of travel and 15 of combat rules. Keep combat simple and give travel a larger focus by giving the game a good grasp on travel and conditions that affect it.

>I don't want my game to be dismissed as a D&D clone!
Have you tried not cloning D&D?
>>
>>60264886
I was about to give it a pass when I randomly stumbled upon this on drivethru, but then I saw the art and the thank you to /gdg/ and I did a double take. Read it all and enjoyed it, but I still can't wrap my head around it. Rising and falling traits particularly. Do you have an example of play? Maybe a combat scene?

If that's too much of a pain to write out, it's okay. I'd settle for a brief explanation on how the average session should go or something, just a taste of how things work.
>>
Are stamina mechanics in general a bad idea? Just needless bookkeeping that adds nothing but inconvenience? Are they done right in some systems?
>>
>>60296474
>Are stamina mechanics in general a bad idea?
....depends on what you're trying to accomplish by using them. Mechanics are just tools, there are no good or bad ones, just good and bad relative to what you're trying to accomplish.
>>
>>60275583
I think Deadlands handled this decently well, dividing the damage by a value representing size (and thereby toughness) to determine magnitude of wound
>>
>>60296951
>....depends on what you're trying to accomplish by using them
Basically just another ressource the player has to manage while travelling, dungeon delving and combat. The aim is actually not the depleating stamina, but to add more actions for the player to do outside of conflict resolutions by making decisions, prepare actions or use skills that replenish stamina. Also since stamina shall be used in combat as well it gives an incentive to try to end it rather quickly. But that of course brings another layer of management to combat which should not be bogged down by bookkeeping.
>>
>>60296474
Yes. Yes. No.
>>
File: 032_1491936562.jpg (557 KB, 1600x1600)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
>>60297980
Well, that settles it.
>>
Give it a bump.
>>
>tfw want to include certain races without blatantly stealing but also keep them fairly familiar so players can use preexisting art for them despite being completely different to their core material

fucking tieflings
>>
>>60300385
you could just file off the serial number, call them pit-touched or something
>>
>>60300385
>>60300400
The word in folklore for a fiend-blooded person is 'Cambion' - just use that. I know the monster manual has that as a listing for something else, but fuck it, it's an entry barely anyone uses anyway.
>>
>>60300573
>source: Dictionnaire Infernal
I fucking love real world monster manuals
>>
>>60300701
And thank you for the excellent PDF anon!
>>
>>60300400
>>60300573
That's good advice, but I was thinking more in terms of aesthetics rather than theme. I just want to add tieflings/onis to my game but I don't want to admit it.
>>
>>60301031
>Want tieflings but don't want to admit it
It's not like they're a hard sell, you'll always have that edgelord at the table who'll roll one.
It's not like they're ostensibly fetishbait either.
If you're determined though, you could pull what WoW did with draenei, smash vowels together until you've got something vaguely word-like and fluff them from there.
>>
Ok, so like, it’s a card game... but everyone BUT you knows what cards you have in hand. Just think about it.
>>
File: 0000463_hanabi.jpg (116 KB, 950x764)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>60302118
come on dude, if you wanna act like a game designer at least show you've done your research, this game isn't even obscure
>>
What games do you want to recreate with your own setting and rules?
For me it's Shadowrun. Anarchy sucks but core shadowrun is a mess.
>>
hi guys, first time poster and new to game developing and i'm wondering if i could ask some general questions.

The game i'm working on is a scifi system with spacefaring characters and mechs and ships and all sorts of good stuff. it's not quite fantasy, but there are psychic powers and such so it does resemble fantasy a bit, and aesthetically i would say im going for something close to outlaw star or cowboy bebop but not drawn in anime style. as far as gameplay, it's a cooperative RPG like DND or something, but a character will play more like someone from warmachine or hordes where you get a pool of resources to play with every turn for your abilties as opposed to fixed action types with limits. there are also no classes in the traditional sense, and instead a big pool of cards you can unlock where you then get abilties listed on cards to build your "class" as you go, ranging from gunfighting to medical stuff to piloting

so the questions i have

1:what are some bad scifi and fantasy tropes i should try to avoid? both thematically and mechanically

2:whats a good way to handle space battles? my current design is a sort of secondary game board that you play with tiny ships simultaneous to the main gameboard with the people in them (the main gameboard also being used for planets, space stations, etc)

3:inches or spaces? right now, im leaning towards inches for movement and range on the gameboard as opposed to drawn square or hexagonal spaces, with included measuring sticks and templates, but im wondering if that would be too complicated

4: a big part of the game is titanfall style mech suits and similar sized biomechanical suits(like independance day). right now i have it so the suit is essentially an extra pool of HP that sits on top of your character and has its own stats and weapons, and once that hp is gone you have to evac. is that too simple? should i include rules for blown off limbs or taking damage while inside the suit?
>>
>>60304451
cont.

i'm looking to make a game that's mechanically rich and has depth as far as customization and strategy, in addition to being a fun roleplay game, and while im not afraid to simplyfy things a bit, i think too much simplicity is not the direction i want to go. i want to make a system that people can really sink their teeth into as opposed to something thats easy to pick up but gets stale quickly.
>>
>>60302559
But I have done my reaseaech, by briar patching an anon in the game dev general.
>>
Alright /gdg/ I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out the best dice rolling system for magic since I want casting to be quick but I want damage to scale quicker at higher power scales so using d6 for damage and junk quickly scales into silly levels. I'm trying to figure out a nice middleground where you don't need to roll bricks of dice after landing a spell but where you also have a nice amount of fiddling you can do with numbers for balance.
>>
>>60305757
>>60295065
>>
I never realized how many people in the hobby are math-illiterate before.
>>
>>60306683
if we were well-educated we'd have jobs and weren't squatting in our mothers' basements chatting about imaginary games on an anonymous board
>>
>>60307000
jokes on you, I'm chatting from my dead-end job!
>>
>>60307017
me too
wish i was squatting in my mother's basement instead
spiders are better company that coworkers. smarter too.
>>
>>60307119
Man, I miss those days. Not ballsy enough to start writing things for my homebrew game in here.
>>
I am fond of tanks without shields.
I tend to make shields more no-brainer spec, so people who don't want to manage stuff just grab a shield and have decent protection, but shieldless tanks deal more damage and may even have better mitigation (in form of lifesteal and stuff), but require a lot of micromanagement and decision making.

What do you think of that?
>>
Hi, I'm just starting to dabble in game design, I've been raised on d&d and Warhammer fantasy.

One of my main gripes with those are the social stats, which are, to me unsatisfactory. My main issue with this is that a character with a very high charisma can suddenly blunder because of a low roll. What other systems and mechanics are there that handle social encounters differently?
>>
>>60308203
forcing players to act out all social interactions
player needs to actually sound convincing to pass a bluff check
>>
>>60308257
yeah, but I don't want to force my players into a playstyle, if a shy guy wants to play a diplomat, so be it, and the system should hold him up, I think.
Leaving the social up to acting has also lead to leaving it as a dump stat and acting out whatever the player would say (cue the eloquent 21 int rat catcher) in my experience.
>>
>>60308417
>>60308203
Charismatic people never blunder IRL?
But I get what you're saying, one solution is to introduce involuntary and environmental factors into the check. A character might have some mild PTSD from a fight not a while ago, which lowers his charisma and makes him stutter. Or, on the opposite, warm meal and familiar cityscape might give him a guaranteed + to any roll. Its best for DM to invent these kinds of boosts on the go so that the players don't start treating it like generic buffs.
>>
>>60308185
There's not really anything to say to that, treating shields as a passive defensive buff is very much the norm and making your preferred versions of an archetype more complex and possibly more powerful is also to be expected.
>>
>>60296067
First off, thanks for taking a look!

Rising and Falling traits shift their numerical value by one each time they become active. Their values become smaller until the traits flips in on itself and starts becoming bigger.

So, say, you have 'Baseball Ace' (+) [10] ↓
Someone throws a grenade at you, and want to hit it with your baseball bat to return it
You roll, and if you roll 10 or less, your Baseball Ace activates, because this is an obvious place to use it.
And after it activates, it also becomes (+) [9]
So the next time you need to use it, you need to roll 9 or less to use it.

This goes on until it becomes [1], and it's impossible to use anymore.

At that point it becomes an Exceptional Negative trait, say 'Trauma From Baseball', which means hitting things accurately with a blunt object or even throwing somewhat spherical objects, like balls or grenades, becomes something where you gain negatives from it.

That negative trait starts from (-) [2], and becomes greater and greater over time, until finally becoming (-) [12], meaning it affects every roll the player is ever going to make where it counts.

The deceptively elegant solution in the game for "What if he just takes traits he doesn't suffer from" is that suffering is a two-way street. If you don't have traits you suffer from, you won't get any Story Points. So knowingly taking debilitating traits is encouraged.
>>
>>60296067
Also, I am really bad with writing examples of play. And if anything, I would want to make a short comic of like 2-4 pages where all things happening in the panels are explained with game mechanics. Sadly, that is beyond my budget at the time.
>>
Bump.
>>
Do upper limits on STR bonus on weapons make sense? I feel like this is on of these other arbitrary designs I want to try out, but that really offer nothing. Let's that in DnD you could only apply 2 STR modifier while using a dagger at maximum.
>>
>>60314862
Its one of those things that works either way. It does make sense, since there is a point where the weapon doesn't really add to the power behind the attack, and eventually becomes a hindrance. The dagger example, some weapons like that are designed in a way that you can't use all of your force behind it, like a stiletto is design to be used in a specific way with specific movements.
>>
As I draw closer to the completion I decided to make a tournament with all of the commanders in my game. I really really really like what i've done so far and it's become quite a fun little game with pretty short playtime.

I set out to make a intresting skirmish wargame with simplistic rules, intresting commander/faction play, and set in a world that gives my favorite toy justice. If you gents find any grammar or rule explanation errors please inform me.

If you gents want I can share my battle reports of the tourney with you in the threads. The goal of the tournament in question is simple. Further playtesting and finding out weird quirks. So far I got a lot rules fixed and explanations cleared just from going through these games. Also Take note that the scenarios needs a lot of changing in terms of setup.
>>
For a point-buy system in an RPG, how do you feel about skipping using an intelligence stat at all- instead using skills as a representation as your character's intelligence? If you want to make a 'smart' character, get a ton of extra skills like Knowledges and stuff.
>>
>>60318837
Makes sense. But in that case, you should probably also scrap conversation stats too, and make them skill-dependent too. Leave only the physical stats to worry about, otherwise it's all in the skills.

Because the thing is that mental and social attributes are both abstracted in a similar way, so cutting only one of them is kind of disingenuous.
>>
>>60318837
that sounds kinda similar to eclipse phases system from what i can remember. more or less everything was skill based.

worked really well for representing specified training as opposed to just a general intelligence or proficiency, but also led to some heavy skill bloat.

if you dont mind skill bloat though (not necessarily a bad thing if the skills can be used in interesting ways) then it's a good system.

how well it works ultimately comes down to what you can do with those skills.
>>
>>60275017
Sorta, yeah, but there are different types of athleticism.
Usain Bolt is strong and has plenty of muscle, but his strength and girth isn't the same, nor is it utilized the same way as an olympic weight lifter.
So there is a divide between speed and strength, though usually if you increase one you increase both.
>>
>>60274994
>How much does it cost to commission artwork and simple minis?
A passable quality illustration starts at $60, a printable quality 3d model starts at $80. Those are prices for noobs, and for personal use. For commercial art the average artist charges $1K per illustration and the average modeler chargers $1200-1600 per model
>>
>>60264706
How do you improve the D&D Adventure System board games while keeping them
>small skirmish scale
>procedurally generated
?
>>
what games deal with survival based stuff really well? Eating, sleeping, crafting, etc.? A few friends and I are working on a system but it is such a clusterfuck I think we need to actually look at games that have attempted this kind of thing and take some inspiration from/blatantly steal some other systems/mechanics.
>>
>>60318320
I feel like the colour scheme and font choice hurts readability, but the artwork is nice and it’s a neat idea.
>>
>>60321636
on the second thought, a nice hand-drawn and converted tabletop game to play with friends is so much better than soulless commercialized product with art and models made by greedy soulless artists, right? RIGHT?
>>
>>60280446
Taking a Look at monsters & other childish things as well as its Persona-Expansion (The Velvet Book) might be worth it as well. The primary reason I recomend those is the excellent, yet simple system for drawing power from relationships.
>>
>>60326237
I chose the fontwork because I wanted to give the game a child like vibe while being aimed towards adult. I'll definetly think about that and the color scheme will be changed later.

The artwork was done by a good friend that's in college right now so I'll need another illustrator. I'll buy a draw fag or two that can hopefully mimic or create a style that's suitable for the game.
>>
I want to make a tile-based game - you know, you approach the edge of a tile, you randomly draw next one

However, I've ran into a problem
Tile one has, say, a river going through it. Next tile most likely won't have it
Should I mark tiles on the back, so if you approach the edge with the stream, you have to search the tile pile for a tile marked "river"? Doesn't that make a bit predictable? Or that kind of predictability is fine?
Also what are pros and cons of hexes and squares? Currently I want to use tiles made up of 7 hexes each, since it best represents line of sight.
>>
>>60291127
>>60291135
Sounds pretty interesting, though I kinda don't get the whole picture since you left out parts of health and wound.

The Edge track sounds like its tailor made for a game where swinging back from almost sure defeat is always possible, but if you implement too much of a death spiral it makes it difficult to do so after being pushed back, so it becomes more of a "win more" situation.

I like how escalating the stakes gives you a reset, but also dislike how this will push the death spiral forward due to faster aquisition of wounds and other setbacks (given those impact your performance, as I otherwise cannot see what would be their purpose). Thus you can buy some time, but worsen your chances of ever pushing back.

Just from the sound of it, I guess success/failure in combat moves you backwards on the edge track and adv/threat do conditions that make that movement harder or easier? Because that sounds like a really good idea.

Everything around that really depends on the tone you want for the game.
Gritty and deadly? Death spiral galore.
Heroic and noble? Comeback mechanics!
Something in between? well yeah, go find a mixture that works.
>>
>>60326670
You can use some sort of blue wavy sticks as river tokens, for example
>tiles only have river sources (springs, waterfalls, lakes etc) on them
>once your character steps beyond that tile, if the next one doesn't have river, he grabs the river token and places it on the tile in a legal manner
>if the next tile has another river source on it, it counts as a terminal and ends the river
>>
>>60326851
river was just an example
it is supposed to be world map, and I don't want mountain ranges, forests, etc abruptly ending
>>
>looking through several rpg's and grabbing different systems from a bunch of them
>altering the systems so that they work together, both mechanically and thematically
>calling it a new game
is this a good or bad way to design an entire system?
>>
>>60327415
that's the only way to design a system
seriously, how many systems are truly original?
>>
>>60289138
I think I figured it out actually. Pilum Up. I can get back to the game now.
>>
>>60326909
>it is supposed to be world map
Wait are you talking about a worldmap for RPG? Cause I assumed you were trying to make a Mage Knight knockoff.
>>
>>60264706
>discord
>patreon
thank you for reminding me why I don't use this shithole of a site.
>>
>>60327472
Very few.
Even making a game from completely empty slate, you are bound to have something derivative of something else.
I managed to dodge most of these with Misfortune, because the game needed some very custom stuff to work as intended. But even that has the added problem of being so un-derivative that people have problems understanding it.
>>
>>60327879
its gonna be kind of turn-based strategy game, like HoMM
>>
I'm writing a game where players are 'borrower' type creatures (tiny humans who secretly live inside the homes of people, scavenging to survive). What are your guys thoughts on this timeline system idea?

>characters must regularly venture into the house to search for resources
>when they do, a timeline is created, broken up into many 'rounds' each representing a set amount of time. the timeline is to represent the time spent 'out' of their settlement
>for every action, a character rolls a pool of dice equal to their skill+characteristic+time, trying to get a certain number of 'successes'
>the number needed for a successful die is determined by the gear they're using
>every roll requires a character to advance 1 space in the timeline. they may move additional spaces within the timeline in order to gain bonus dice equal to the amount of extra spaces moved
>at certain intervals, random encounters, fatigue rolls, etc. are rolled for
>the longer characters go, the higher chance of worse things happening gets
>certain acts that do not require rolls (such as moving from one room of the house to another) requires the character advance in the timeline
>if a character is ahead of another in the timeline, they do not roll for their action until all other characters have either caught up or passed them
>characters behind in the timeline declare their actions+how far they advance within the timeline
>all characters on the same place in the timeline resolve their rolls simultaneously
>combat is treated the same as all other actions, characters earlier in the timeline declare their actions first (which character within that round depends on their characteristics, fastest declaring their action last.), all characters within the same round resolve their actions simultaneously
>certain combat actions may move characters further down the timeline

I'm not sure if adding an initiative the every action is the best of ideas, so figure I'd ask you guys.
>>
How do you guys retain interest in your projects? I always get half way through one thing of another before having some other, completely unrelated idea. Now I have half a dozen things I’m working on, none of which I’ll ever actually get done. What am I supposed to do?
>>
>>60296474
I've seen circumstances where your narrative capacity to stay in a fight--HP, as we typically know it--can be consumed as a type of stamina measure.

That is, you're balancing staying alive with taking risks, in the same numeric pool, to power attacks.

Seems pretty cool to me, but I'm sure it'd be a little more complex in practice than I explained.
>>
>>60330761
enjoy the process and don't think about the future
>>
>>60291597
Can this system be used for Wintermaul?
>>
>>60334280
for what?
>>
>>60334343
>she doesn't know Wintermaul
Do you even play Warcraft?
>>
File: PJsnyis.jpg (91 KB, 742x473)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
A tabletop game or RPG... about the culture war?

There'd be the different factions like SJWs, BLM, alt-right, centrists, and hero units for each faction like Anita Sarkeesian and Jordan Peterson etc.

Or am I just being retarded. This is very much a half-formed idea
>>
>>60334686
not really, I just make custom maps for fun which I don't publish
I don't play anything besides campaigns and regular maps against computer
>>
>>60334887
so another RaHoWa?
>>
>>60334887
fake and gay
>>
>>60335927
Custom games on battle.net are literally the best part about Warcraft 3.
>>
>>60268407
>7 Wonders Duel

I don't understand why anybody would use that name when 1v1ders is right there.
>>
>>60330761
For me, actually getting to playtest in either mini or tabletop simulator, and making actual progress makes it feel like I am doing something worthy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.