[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: datass.png (2 KB, 160x160)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
What is the worst card game mechanic in existence?
>>
>>60297216
Good cards being locked behind rarity. It's effectively just a p2w mechanic.
>>
>>60297216
multiplayer
>>
>>60297216
Banding
>>
File: bigguy.jpg (8 KB, 259x194)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>60297296
>no u
>>
>>60297216
If you count 'randomised booster packs' as a mechanic, then that.
>>
Why has nobody mentioned lands yet? I thought many people agreed on those. 'Resources that have to be drawn' for the actual crucial part.
>>
>>60297216
Having multiple decks in one game.
>>
Worst in existence? Ante. It's literally gambling.
>>
>>60299161
Only scrubs don't like lands.
>>
>>60297216
Vehicules, mana-fixing, protect against X
So many shit to chose from, still love the game tho.
>>
>>60299526
>mana-fixing
What, all of it?
>>
>>60297216
The river.
>>
Deckbuilding
>>
Maybe not the worst, but I hated the milling mechanic from the Harry Potter card game. All damage goes to the deck turns the game into a death spiral very quickly.
I have no issues with milling mechanics in other games where it's a secondary strategy at best though.
>>
Dual/Fetch Lands
Way too powerful and valuable
>>
>>60299579
blackjack is a hookers game
>>
>>60299672
>All damage goes to the deck
Sounds like the old Decipher Star Wars game
>>
>>60299165
That's actually one of the better mechanics in my experience. The games I've seen do that are excellent.
>>
>>60297276
It's a good thing. If good cards were common then they wouldn't be as valuable. Scarcity my man. Also you have the chance of opening cards worth more than the booster pack costs because of rarity.
>>
>>60297276
t. Literal nazi.
>>
File: frodo.png (214 KB, 400x399)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
>>60299950
>>
>>60297216
Setting all cards aside, and playing a different game with the rest of your decks to determine an outcome from the card in the original game.
>>
>>60300723
Sounds like alota fun, could probably make a drinking game out of it.
>>
>>60299742
>river
>blackjack
>>
>>60299916
>If good cards were common then they wouldn't be as valuable.
I mean, in terms of monetary worth, yeah, but in terms of gameplay value a good card is a good card regardless of how easy it is to access it. There have been so many powerful cards printed at uncommon throughout the years in MTG it completely invalidates your statement. Also wizards have outright stated the reason crap cards are common is for "draft balance".

>Also you have the chance of opening cards worth more than the booster pack costs because of rarity.
Not everyone wants to play MTG:finance, or trading card stock market in general. Some people want to buy a product and then game with it, and not have to be constantly thinking whether these boosters have put them in the positive or negative.

>>60299950
What? If anything you should be calling him a communist, trying to break the class boundaries of cards. Would rares be the bourgeois?
>>
>>60300750
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=shahrazad
>>
File: Image.png (145 KB, 223x311)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>60300750
I had pretty fun with it the one evening I had it in my deck, but it made matches take a lot longer and would probably get very tiresome in the long run.
>>
>>60297276
Fpbp

>>60299916
Can't tell if ironic or retarded
>>
File: 1526691641164.jpg (47 KB, 265x275)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Chaos Confetti.
>>
>>60300884
Speculators aren't people; don't give them the attention they crave.
>>
>>60299916
>valuable
>worth
They're all made of cardboard and ink, you literal jew. This is why netdeckers are usually top dogs; they're rich NEETs with no sense of actual strategy, they just look up the cards, throw money at them, and win.

>inb4 pay to win isn't a bad thing
It isn't a bad thing if you're a sheep who mooches off other peoples' success. Enjoy your empty wins that required absolutely no effort, fucking welfare case.

>On Topic:
Needing separate cards for your resource that only produces a resource (i.e. Lands) is a pretty shit mechanic. It's much better to either have automatic, set resource gain per turn, or to have each card have the option to either produce a resource or perform one of its effects. Having too many/not enough Land cards in your hand is not a skill/decision based loss condition; it's pure fucking luck.

>inb4 the manaweaving clusterfuck argument
>>
File: 654.png (120 KB, 425x404)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>60297216
Allowing opponents to swap out cards in their deck after the first game against you. If they were any good at the game, they wouldn't need to adjust their decks.
>>
>>60299916
It's a good thing for the company and for draft but you're dumb if you think opening a booster and getting only amazing cards isn't superior to opening a booster and having all of it be unplayable trash. People only use the same good cards for a reason. Nobody who knows better would use common trash.

The best decks being full of rares and costing a lot of money have no bearing on the gameplay.
>>
>>60301023
> if you think opening a booster and getting only amazing cards isn't superior to opening a booster and having all of it be unplayable trash
go home proxy chink shill
>>
>>60300997
40 card deck with option to skip draw and put a basic land token into play seems tight and balanced but it also kills or messes with whole swathes of options like land decks, ramp, proper color fixing ratios, non-basics, land destruction, etc.

Having to spend 75% of the cost of the deck on lands that do nothing but fetch or make mana is stupid as fuck and feels shitty though. This is coming from someone who has entire playsets of Masterpieces in his modern deck.
>>
>>60301032
>fucking 10 ugly women and hoping one turns out to be hot is better than fucking 10 hot women

The absolute state of dicklets.
>>
File: 214.jpg (70 KB, 312x445)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>60297216
In terms of mtg, anything like "Monstrosity" or "Renown".

Flavorwise, becoming monstrous is subjective in terms of size and strength, though renown is okay for landing a hit on the enemy, but-

Mechanically, having to remember whether or not something is renown or monstrous is not difficult, but it's ugly because the marker they decided to use to represent the status change are simply +1/+1 counters; considering those are used for almost anything, mixing them up can be a bit convoluted.

Also, transform cards to go and stay go. I hate having to obtain two copies of a card, use ugly proxy cards, or having to physically remove the (potentially valuable) card from the sleeve; none of those options are appealing.
>>
Any resource system that makes you unable to play the majority of cards in the first couple turns is bad. It means, at any given time, you are only choosing between like using one or two cards, and often you don't have anything to play at all. Having a mixture of timings(instant/sorcery) is also bad because it means you have to pass priority dozens of times even though responses are unlikely.
>>
File: knockoffs.jpg (130 KB, 640x640)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>60297216
Resource cards that give you more than one specific resource.

ie if Magic just had the 5 Basic Lands be the only Lands that tapped for Mana, you wouldn't have shit like Dual Lands, or all the abominations not reprinting the DLs spawned
>>
>>60301076
>wanting to bang a tranny
hi leddit
>>
>>60301102
>Also, transform cards to go and stay go. I hate having to obtain two copies of a card, use ugly proxy cards, or having to physically remove the (potentially valuable) card from the sleeve; none of those options are appealing.
I just replace the proxy with a transparent-sleeved card from my deckbox as soon as I reveal it. Is it so bad to have a stand-in in your hand for a little while?
>>
>>60301102
Transform cards are much more elegant than the ugly Flip cards that preceded them and the unwieldy Threshold cards before that. Simply grit and use proxy cards if the card's value is too high to touch, miser.
>>
>>60301102
Transform cards might come with full official proxies instead of checklist cards in the future. WotC just recently gained the ability to make it so certain cards can always end up together in card packs.
>>
File: 753C652.jpg (23 KB, 255x396)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>60297216
>>
>>60299773
Doesn't Vanguard do something similar too?
>>
>>60301235
There's also a moonrune one, Hig-something that also requires you to sacrifice overflow from your deck.
>>
>>60301186
Is there a source on this or is this just speculation? I would love to see WotC address the problems that envelop transform cards.
>>
>>60301349
Since DOM they have been able to guarantee at least one legendary creature per pack, even with legendarys spread between rare and uncommon, so they have some sort of increased control over pack contents.
>>
>>60301349
They talked about how in Battlebond, if you get a card with Partner you are guaranteed to get the partner card, and if 1 is foil, both will be. So yeah they could easily have a Transform card come with a guaranteed official transformed token version ie. Amonkhet Exalted tokens
>>
>>60299916
>he still buys boosters instead of singles
>>
>>60301459
I buy both. Singles to cut through the bullshit, boosters for the excitement.
>>
File: battlebond.jpg (149 KB, 904x1200)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>60301413
>>60301392
That is incredible, thank you.
>>
>>60301478
I hope they actually fucking do it though. It would be very cool, and the obvious move to make people happy. You get a Transform card? Congrats, the Token in that pack is the Transformed variant of it.
But this is WotC so maybe they just won't do it.
>>
>>60301133
>fucking 10 random holes and praying at least one of them isn't a tranny or a dude

We'll call it Sexual Encounters: the Gathering.
>>
>>60299916
You aren't even human.
>>
>>60303059
furthermore that's not even ontopic, secondary market happy-merchants are not a game mechanic, but rather a mechanic to make people not play the game
>>
>>60301011
>Having opinions that are this bad

I'm sorry that you're retarded, Anon. What's it like being so stupid that you can't see that sideboarding is a balancing mechanic? Do I need to talk in bright, colorful pictures for you?
>>
>>60299916
>t. literal cuck that spends entire paychecks on colored cardboard
Let me guess, you also invested in bitscam and would buy your wife a diamond ring?
>>
File: 1527770804196.jpg (29 KB, 320x307)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>60299916
>splashes water on you
"Oops haha, sorry for getting your cardboard rectangles wet, sonny."
>>
>>60300768
>Not everyone wants to play MTG:finance, or trading card stock market in general. Some people want to buy a product and then game with it, and not have to be constantly thinking whether these boosters have put them in the positive or negative.
I mean, to be fair, people who don't want to play Magic: The Stock Marketing got out of the game decades ago. There are plenty of LCG's and All-In-One card games out there for plebs who want a game that's determined primarily by deckbuilding or skill at the table. MTG is for patricians who understand that it's a game played at all levels of life (a Great Game, if you will): identifying the correct decks to build in to, scrutinizing the market, getting the best cards for the best price, and even making sure you have the correct education and job to ensure you will always have sufficient funds on tap, but will never have to sacrifice valuable play time.
>>
>>60297216
Lands
>>
>>60300723
>he doesn't like Scheherazade
Why do you hate fun, anon?
>>
>>60303896
I play MtG because I like the mechanics and the flavor, but it's a hobby, not a way of life. In what world is having to spend something like 200 dollars every couple months, taking out a mortgage to get into Legacy, or saving for a month to buy a top tier Modern deck sane? Plus, I'm a grown man with a job so I can still afford to play MtG regularly, what about kids? Where's MtG going to be in 20 years, being played by balding fogeys only who have spent the cost of a cheap house on it over their lifetimes?
>>
>>60297216
Everything regarding Pendulum monsters.
>a million different effects
>allow for at least one additional summon each round at no cost
>ignore "sent to the graveyard" effects
>can be infinitely summoned back to the field or pendulum slots through "summon from your extra deck" effects that were never intended to include """dead""" pendulum monsters
>>
>>60303977
>in what world is any of this sane?
Oh, it's not, at all. The above was totally tongue-in-cheek. I haven't bought a new magic deck since weatherlight. I don't dislike the game, and I'll still play occasionally with friends, but I've got no time for that P2W shit.

I was really agreeing with the anon up above, rarity is a shit mechanic. Good for screwing kids out of their lunch money, but not much else. There's a million other card games out there that are priced like actual games and have mechanics that are as good as, or better than, MTG.
>>
I don't know if there's a name for it but all cards that have a strong body and then something like "when this card dies summon 3 cards that are like it but 1/3rd thepower"
Fucking hate that shit
>>
>control f
>zero results for megamorph
/tg/ is growing soft.
>>
>>60304245
some anon derailed it really early
>>
>>60304245
>megamorph
What's so bad about it?
>>
>>60304502
It's a retarded morph
I think it's retarded but there's way worse
>>
>>60304520
I mean, you can use it to OTK an opponent without much difficulty. It's easily countered, I'll give you that, but it's an old card anyways.
>>
>>60301023
Sounds like you've never played against storm, or boggles, or affinity, or deliver, or burn, or any of the huge number of other decks that are totally reliant on commons and uncommons.
>>
>>60304582
What are you talking about?
Megamorph is a mechanic, not a card. And it's a fucking stupid one. Literally just Morph but you add a +1/+1 counter. People HATED this shit when it came out because it's just Morph with a counter, and the name is stupid. +1/+1 is not even "mega" and it sounds like something Ben 10 would use.
I shat all over it too but there's just been worse mechanics in the history of card games.
>>
>>60304582
Are you retarded?

Megamorph is literally just morph but you also put a +1/+1 counter on the creature, which is stupid because morph could already be formatted to have that effect. It's a waste of a keyword. It's a bad mechanic because it's 100% boring and redundant.
>>
File: Megamorph-SDKS-EN-C-1E.png (801 KB, 475x695)
801 KB
801 KB PNG
>>60304614
>>60304609
>all these 30 year old boomers still playing an outdated children's card game
>>
>>60304655
>instead of a mechanic in the mechanic thread he thinks everyone is talking about an ancient YGO card and blames everybody for his own stupidity
>YGO, the game that is basically MtG if everything was Unlimited with the biggest banlist known to man to stop people from going infinite on t2 every match
>Which had to try and hard reset everything with Duel Links, then fucked up Duel Links by printing turbo aggro cards that let you anal rape people at super speed, so they had to print mega cancer stall to stop it, which made mega cancer stall the dominant archetype so they had to print even stronger cancer aggro and now the game is "balanced" around OTKs
leave this country and never return
>>
>>60301193
Nah dude. This is a perfect catchup mechanic because you can only play it when it is your only possible play. There's a whole challenge procedure if you think somebody is bluffing. It's annoying that you can win a round by playing it as your last card, but then you didn't really use its power the whole time.
>>
>>60304691
Lay off the salt grandpa, the doctor said it's not good for your blood pressure. I know you have fond memories of MTG, but with 3/4 of its entire card pool on the banned list it sadly became stale.
>>
File: recurring cards.png (1.17 MB, 669x932)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>60304120
I like them.
>>
"expansion creep"
or when a gane is so far down the expansion hole it has to errata or outright segregate previous blocks just for it to stay competitive and relevant.

games like
7th sea
yu-gi-oh
magic

also voting mechanic
like rage card game with calling moots
>>
I hate it when MtG doesn't use their own keywords. Like that bird in Core 2019 that has a worse Prowess, instead of Prowess. Or cards that have what is essentially Landfall, but they don't use the keyword.
>>
>>60304876
are you retarded? there is no block system in yugioh, it's just a banlist for a number of cards. people still play with cards from legend of blues eyes
>>
>>60304963
not if they want to win
>>
>>60304963
needing a ban list or an errata is a sure sign of poor game design and is a 'red flag' that the company wants your money more than giving you a quality gaming expierence.
>>
pretty much everything in new l5r

what a mess
>>
>>60305000
how do you come to this opinion
>>
>>60305003
What did they fuck up? Some friends of mine keep floating the idea of getting into it but none of us know about the game.
>>
File: h.jpg (32 KB, 480x270)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>60303896
>the patrician game is blowing money on cardboard every few months
>>
>>60305000
>needing a ban list or an errata is a sure sign of poor game design
What? Any game with enough cards is going to end up with a significant ban list.
>>
chance
>>
>>60305031
>Any game with enough cards
That's the thing though, planned obsolescence ensures a lack of control and balance of the design, it's just meaningless at some point.
>>
>>60304934
Core19 isn't canon, don't pay it any mind
>>
>>60298362
Gentle reminder that WotC shitcanned the rights to Android:Netrunner
>>
>>60305013
Watch a 'how to play l5r' video and notice how each time you find yourself thinking "ok I know how to play l5r now" they add on another mechanic. Count how many times this happens. Take your socks off before you start because you'll run out of fingers.
>>
>>60297216
Fast mana.
>>
>>60297216
Any random effects, worse way to balance something and the reason i fucking hate hearthstone
>>
>>60305260
You'll be happy to hear that Hearthstone isn't canon
>>
>>60301115
Not all dual lands are bad, look at mana in pauper
>>
I don't like uninteraction like in that one ricecardgame and hardstone.
>>60299165
vtes and rage would like to disagree
>>
>>60305092
>Gentle reminder that WotC shitcanned the rights to Android:Netrunner
Netrunner was clearly not meeting its quota for shitty mechanics.
>>
Parasitic mechanics that require another card to work, like that Kamigawa one. Energy at lesst has many cards give you some before spending it.
>>
>>60306014
>Partners with ~.
>This creature gets +1/+1 as long as you control a creature named ~.
>X, then you may search your library for a card named Planeswalker, the Specific and put it into your hand.
>pic related.
>>
>>60306450
>X, then you may search your library for a card named Planeswalker, the Specific and put it into your hand.
This bad mechanic is more of a side effect of WotC's horrible decision to print those unplayable-in-competitive Planeswalker Decks. These decks must have an unplayable-in-competitive PW, but that's just 1 card in a 60, so they must ALSO print another unplayable-in-competitive card that tutors that Planeswalker.
>>
>>60301133
reddit wanting to bang a tranny and not 4chan? I think you have that one backwards
>>
File: evermind.jpg (146 KB, 464x663)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>60306450
>>Partners with ~.
Doesn't literally require the other card to work. You can use it without its partner.
>>This creature gets +1/+1 as long as you control a creature named ~.
Unless its base P/T is thusly X/0, it still doesn't require that other creature.
>>X, then you may search your library for a card named Planeswalker, the Specific and put it into your hand.
So long as X is anything at all, it STILL doesn't require the planeswalker card.
>>pic related.
Is not "target creature with Renown". It can target any creature.
You are fundamentally misunderstanding what's being described.
>>
Make your own cards in the hands of That Guy.
>>
>>60297216
If we're talking actual game mechanics, I'm tempted to say Ritual Monsters in YGO. I don't think they were ever able to make it really work.

Design choices that aren't technically "mechanics," I've got two. First is ABUR duals, for being objectively better than basic lands. Being limited to 4x is hardly a drawback. The second is cards that let you draw a bunch for effectively no cost, like Bill or Prof. Oak or Pot of Greed or Graceful Charity. Hoo boy, Graceful Charity.
>>
File: 008.jpg (21 KB, 480x480)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>60299950
>>
File: 1527495269035.jpg (26 KB, 1024x1024)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>60304655
>dubs
>blessed post
>>
>>60301113
>Any resource system that makes you unable to play the majority of cards in the first couple turns is bad. It means, at any given time, you are only choosing between like using one or two cards, and often you don't have anything to play at all.
Some of the best resource systems I've come across use levels and stock, which does restrict what you can do in the early turns. I think that a resource system should have some measure of restrictiveness built in, as it makes learning the game and the decks easier, and also paces the game in a way that can make it less devastating to have a bad hand in the early game completely doom your chances.
>Having a mixture of timings(instant/sorcery) is also bad because it means you have to pass priority dozens of times even though responses are unlikely.
This, 100%. This is my vote for most annoying tcg mechanic, especially since most people don't even realize how awkward it unless they've played fair bit of a tcg with more limited priority stops.

>>60301115
This kind of annoys me as well. For having such rigid colour identities, they seem to go out of the way to make playing one colour completely unviable.
>>
>>60307880
>I don't think they were ever able to make it really work.
Nekroz were a goddamned horror and plague upon the meta, it's a 40 card pile where half the deck is tutors which led to 10 minute turns where a guy sculpted his hand to perfection and then passed to the other guy who did the same and then they started playing a game of chicken where the first guy to keep anything on the board loses horribly to ritual Trishula buttfucking them.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (5 KB, 480x360)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>60307880
type 1 was useful before they started making functional reprints, then you just have different names & art for the same shit cards
>>
You twinks actually think that instants and sorceries are bad design? Enjoy your noninteractive games.
>>
>>60310734
>interrupts
you can't defend this
>>
>>60311841
you can't argue against it
>>
>>60304758
But they aren't.
>>
>>60299916
spotted the EA executive
>>
>>60304934
Landfall isn't a keyword, it's an ability word - it's flavor text, essentially, there to help group together cards with similar text and keep people from going THERE AREN'T ANY NEW MECHANICS like they did in Masques block and parts of Invasion.
>>
>>60309393
So they didn't work. Being overpowered isn't good card design.
>>
>>60314636
There were never balanced decks in ygo unless you think shit like hiding behind a million backrow cards and poking each other to death over a million turns is balanced.
>>
>>60314720
The only time yugioh was balanced was before the game was even printed in English, when the strongest level 4 monster was Hitotsume Giant. Konami handles the game terribly.
>>
cumulative upkeep
>>
>>60305941
Underrated post
>>
File: morelikenevermind.jpg (112 KB, 578x324)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>60307504
Admittedly, I understood "that kamigawa one" as Arcane in general, and most of those cards don't require other arcane cards to cast.

In the case of Evermind, that is truly parasitic, as it requires other cards to cast, but not necessarily Arcane cards.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.