[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Lechatbotte4.jpg (163 KB, 800x641)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Ogre Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Giant Soul Sorcerer
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_GiantSoul.pdf

>5e Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
Stable releases - https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: >>60290559

Has your party run afoul of ogres, /5eg/? Was it as unpleasant an experience as one might think?
>>
First for Revised Ranger abilities deserve to be printed before either Mystic or Artificer.
>>
Second for sorcerers are stinky
>>
>>60297659
Nah, we were able to talk our way out of fighting them.
>>
>>60297659
Yes, they kept snapping at us and talking about some sort of compilation. Awful creatures.
>>
What's the most balanaced and interesting example of a Homebrew Engineer class? Preferably some half or third caster. I tried the homebrew Demolitionist class but it felt off to me and didn't give me the feel of being an inventor. Alternatively, give me the low down on the Artifcer.
>>
What would be some good exotic mounts for

> Goliaths
> Tieflings with goat legs
>>
Do you guys like this idea?

When Wizards learn a spell, it is magically tattooed onto their body. The tattoo usually being a representation of how they learned or whom taught them or it could be the image of how that spell was learned for the first time. So over time very powerful Wizards are covered in many coloured, swirling tattoos that cover them completely.
>>
>>60297969
Mammoth
A chariot drawn by a giant elk.
>>
>>60297982
Sounds pretty dumb to me but you do you
>>
>>60297969
>Yaks
>Smilodons
>Giant Cave Salamanders
>Being princess-carried by other party members
>>
>>60297982
Ahh, so they're Pacific Islanders.
>>
>>60297969
A demon in a gimp suit.
>>
>>60298076
I like the idea of surfing wizards.
>>
>>60298076
Could be if they wanted.

>>60298052
Was just trying to make it not just. Wizard casts fireball cuz he knows it at this level and its in a book. and casting magic and bending reality has no effect on the body.
>>
i just rescued a horse on a campaign whilst traveling in a caravan. im a new player, are there any good uses for horses or will taking custody of it end up being a burden? if i need to leave it behind somewhere are there means to lreserving the animal for later within the game?
>>
>>60297982
Body-tattoos-as-spellbook is legit
>>
>>60298115

>are there any good use for horses

Gee, I wonder what people do with horses...

What do you think /5eg/? Is having something that can carry heavy loads, shorten travelling times, and help traversing difficult terrain useful?

>Will it be a burden?

Only if your DM is a stickler for things like rations and makes you keep track of horse feed when you can't just let it graze.
>>
>Campaign ends with an extremely lucky kill of the BBEG at 7th level
>Capital of ancient kingdom is purifed, reconstruction begins
>Fighter is the favorite to be crowded king of the reclaimed kingdom
>Barb is now head of a clan of dwarves with a small fleet of airships
>Campaign pauses for 1 year irl and a 3 year time skip in game
Party wants a "world is our oyster" vibe
What level should this resume at?
>>
>>60298217
5th, they grew too complacent in their new positions
>>
>>60298182
>Be playing long term traveling campaign
>Party gets absurd amount of $$$ very early in, enough to buy whatever we need and have a pile left over
>Suggest we buy/build carriage tank sort of setup with fortifications and turrets
>"Nah, that'll just be a hassle and be a thing we have to take care of"

God knows that would've been totally fucking useless for the 10 times we've been ambushed on the god damn road so far, also sure is great having this time sensitive threat hanging over our heads and being stuck traveling on foot.
>>
>Be traveling gypsy bard
>Have a pet terrier since first session
>Be super dedicated to it during RP
>Take the inspiring leadership and speak with animals feat so that I can make sure he has always enough temporary HP to survive danger
>DM's rules Speak With Animals let's animals understand me, but doesn't give them the power of speech for me to understand
>That's okay tho, it's still a Ritual and I can make sure my boy knows he's a good boy
>Reach level 9
>Unlock Awaken
>Time to shine
>DM says if I want I can give my dog Level 1 pc stats as long as they are RP apropriate

What do you think guys? Is my good boy a fighter? A Paladin that lays on tongue? A ranger with cats as Favored Enemy?
>>
>>60298301
That's fucking great.
>>
>>60298217
I'd bump them to 9 at most or not raise their level at all. Experience unearned is not experience at all and leveling up too fast takes the fun out of it.
>>
>>60298334
Obviously he's a Bard just like his human. Barking Inspiration
>>
>>60298182
i know you can ride a horse but nobody else in the party has one so it wouldnt really reduce travel time and you cant really bring a horse into a dungeon. we've already ventured into a one way dungeon where we exited the cave area through an opening different from whence we entered and never returned, which would have made me abandon the animal if i had it at the time. im new to the game and not sure what to expect.

on the topic of increasing burden, im already a little annoyed because one of my race perks as a goliath is disproportionate carrying capacity for the size , but i have read multiple places that because the way carrying capacity is calculated, most PC never run into any problems with being overburdened. my dm thinks it is tedious to have to roll dice to determine treasures from dungeons so our rewards are mostly just always gold.

another example, i received a lantern of illumination (or something) which requires oil to use according to the description. since i had large weight capacity i wanted to buy extra oil so i could light it whenever i wanted bit my dm thought that was tedious and just wanted to further the story so he just gives me unlimited free oil at any time and lets me light the lantern with no restrictions, further negating one aspect of my character
>>
Guys I am gonna be taking part in a 5e campaign soon. Often in 3.P I've mainly just played Wizard because of all the spells that aren't straightforward do x damage on someone type so I can do shenanigans outside of combat. I thought moving to 5e would mean that this would be fixed and other classes have more shit to do, but from the cursory look I took it seems to be the same. I am really trying not to play a Wizard again, guys. Based on you more experienced guys, what other classes have a lot of cool out of combat role playing tid bits/opportunities?
>>
>>60298334
>>60298379
fighter, battlemaster if he gets high enough with Rally
>>
>>60298379

>Barking Inspiration

>Friends
>Message

>Speak with Animals
>Thunderbark
>Detect Magic
>Identify

You know, this could work
>>
>>60298477
>Thunderbark
*cue AC/DC*
You've been...THUNDERBORKED!
>>
>>60298477
>Give it the urchin background
>Come with pet mouse
>Speak with animals
>Mentor your mouse like your human mentored you

I'm not a furry damn it, but I kinda want it now
>>
Am I gonna see mileage out of the Res (Wis) feat in Tomb of Annihiliation? We just killed the beholder
>>
>>60297659
We tried talking to the ogre guards in Skyreach Castle in HotDQ. We assumed they knew WAY more than they actually knew. It became awkward, so our bard entertained them for a while until we were in good standing with them.

.... Theeeen our Sorcerer stole all the gems from the castle's control room and pissed off the castle's owner.
>>
File: 1517035270449.jpg (34 KB, 217x222)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>60297710
>making a spooky shadow/blood magic flavored caster
>see that shadow sorcerer has some coolio abilities
>get to making my character
>getting excited about making good use of vampiric touch, being generally edgy and using the life I get from it to heal allies with life transference
>mfw neither of those spells are on the sorcerer spell list
>end up making a warlock and living with the fact that I don't get life transference
Dimension door twice on a short rest is a great feeling
>>
>>60298688
One of the dingles you get from the gods is a robe of scintillating colors, so depending on whether or not someone else in your party gets that, and depending on how much they care about stunning their friends you could end up making VERY good use of res wis
>>
File: 1508563613285.png (37 KB, 188x229)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
What's the edgiest character you've made/seen played?
A person I know told me they wanted to play a CN half-aasimar half-tiefling yeah I fucking know it doesn't work that way hexblade warlock without a single fucking hint of irony.
>>
>>60298901
...I'd really hope if someone gets that they wouldn't be retarded enough to spam it when we're next to them.

But in general encounters I'm assuming there's gonna be a lot of charm/madness shit to resist, right?
>>
>>60298838
Anon, make a Divine Soul Sorcerer then.. You get those things and if you pick one of them high Charisma Aasimars, or shadow stepping Elves you even get to have resistance to the necrotic damage you're dealing to yourself in Life Transfer
>>
>>60299013
One of my friends made a lawful evil changeling fiendlock with a massive hateboner for any non-exotic races whose default form was a fucking half orc half tiefling
After I laid out his entire character concept to him he was ashamed of how edgy his character was
>>
>>60299013
Sigh..

Fallen Aasimar Oathbreaker / Hexblade with the Haunted One background... Called Guts
You can guess which spells he picked too
>>
>>60299021
Have you been paying attention to the size of the rooms?
if you're using it, you're hitting friendlies. No bones about it
>>60299061
You don't want resistance to necrotic, because it also reduces healing done, it's retarded, but that's how it works
>>
> Pact with the Fiend
> The "Fiend" presents himself as a voice of reason, and bringer of knowledge and truth
> Gives gifts of strength and power under the guise of self-discovery and inner strength to the PC
> Only asks to show others the truth, that faith and strength should come from themselves, and not worshipping false gods and fake idols
> Fiend is basically Lucifer
> Basically asks PC to preach satanism

Is that a viable "warlock pact"? Does that make sense for a Chaotic Good Warlock?
>>
>>60299158
The greatest trick the devil ever played.png
>>
How do I DM for a warlock player? Do I make it so that their patron asks stuff from them and fucks them over if they don't do it?
>>
>>60299135
I mean I'd hope they wouldn't use it period.

Let's just assume they aren't dumb and don't use it, or the item never appears. Is the feat still worth?
>>
The Battlerager Barbarian seems like it'd only be good to dip into (obviously getting to Level 3 to get the actual subclass) before going into something else. Maybe go to level 6? Past that, it just seems lack-luster.
>>
File: ChaosHero2.jpg (381 KB, 1232x2452)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
>>60299158
That sounds suitably chaotic.
>>
>>60299135
Actually maybe you do want that reduction.
As a Sorcerer you're on that d6 hit die diet and a comparable 3rd level Cure Wounds will heal you for 3d8 while this one does 4d8 damage to you, which at level 5 can almost knock you the fuck out even if you're at full.
Especially if you mean to twin the bloody thing
>>
>>60297982
This might be more effective if wizards didn't learn all the spells they needed from level-ups. It could work better in OSR where all the spells you get are going to come from play and have some legitimate story behind how your character got them. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to implementing such a rule in 5e as long as the players are on board from the start of the campaign, but if you worry a lot about encounter design, CR and game balance it could leave wizards a bit wimpy. Also, would you still need a spellbook?
>>
>>60299226
There are a couple of ways to do this. There's the brute force method where the Warlock will just lose his powers if he doesn't hold up his end of the bargain, but certain players bitch about this alot as "railroading" (motherfucker, these are terms you literally agreed to in-character). There's the "ransom" approach where the Patron has something important to the Warlock and won't give it back until a certain condition is met, ect the Warlock is keeping a sibling hostage or keeping them from dying, or maybe has promised the Warlock the secret to immortality or somesuch. There's the "peer pressure" route in which the warlock has other followers who may hunt the player warlock down if they're disloyal and either attempt to kill them or bring them back into the cult. Finally there the dependency route where the player flatout needs the guidance and help of the patron due to their own ignorance, incompetence, brilliant lie-weaving by the patron to paint itself as a guardian or parental figure, ect.
>>
What options could I have, as a martial of any sort, to say "Fuck wizards?" I know there's the Mage Slayer feat but I feel being close enough to use it means I've won already. I was about to write some some homebrew antimage shit (which basically boils down to beating wizards with the power of money) but I figured I'm getting ahead of myself and there's options in a book somewhere.
>>
>>60299551
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
>>
>>60299505
A warlock cannot lose his powers even if the patron cuts the link. He will however be unable to gain any further levels in the class.
>>
>>60299158
The problem is that in a typical DND setting the Big Good isn't a false god.
>>
>>60299609
This is entirely 100% up to the DM.
>>
>>60299230
there's 5 traps that roll off wis to charm/fear, and I don't recall any significant enemies using wis save abilities
some of the spellcasters will ask wis saves from you, but those are big fights and the others in your party are just as likely to be hit by them as you
>>60299394
depending on your interpretation of the rules, you either can't twin life transference at all (because you're a target, I don't agree with this) or or don't take the damage twice
Twinned doesn't duplicate the spell, it just makes it have two targets, but yes, 4d8 is a lot of damage for a level 5 sorc to take, regardless
>>
>>60299633
Ultimately, but the warlock doesn't get his juice directly from his patron like clerics do. He just gets cheat codes to unlock that arcane might way faster than a wizard ever could.
>>
>>60299551
Find a way to cast silence or make an anti-magic field; ideally the former so you can have your own magic gear work.
>>
>>60299699
>>60299551
Shadow Monks can cast Silence with Ki by the way. They also can threaten a lot of concentration checks with Mage Slayer.
>>
Is there a character sheet for an extra stat on the left side?
>>
>>60299633
So is everything else in the game.
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 300x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>60299226
Warlocks are, by design, usually desperate people looking for the quick and easy path. All a Patron really has to do keep holding a carrot for them to chase, usually in the form of greater power (level ups) and threaten to take that carrot way if the warlock doesn't comply.

Someone also mentioned making a Patron who's "loved" by the warlock as a guardian or ally. Maybe have a vestige of that patron materialize as a familiar or something.
>"Evil? They call me evil? Would I have taught you to defend yourself if I were evil? When I found you scared and alone as a child, would I have taken you under my wing if I were evil? Tell me, what is it they were eating last night? That's right, meat. They killed life to feed themselves. It's exactly the same as I do with the souls of those who have tried to harm you, but your supposed "allies" are too small minded and fearful to see there's no difference. I do not blame them, they're not special like you are."
>>
>>60299641
Well, it's either Res (Wis), (Dex), Mage Slayer, or +2 strength (as a Gish). I figured saving throws could be clutch for ToA, I don't want to piss my ASI away though
>>
This is actually a stupid question, but: how much worse would a level 12 character who multiclassed into each of the 12 classes be as compared to a regular 12th level character? How much actual redundancy is there, and would they be significantly more versatile than a character who only multiclassed once (or just a bard)?
>>
>>60299751
I think this would work better with Sentinel
>silence the mage
>run up to him/use bonus action teleport
>Mage tries to escape, maybe blows a disengage
>he's stuck
>party moves in and fucks'im'up
>>
>>60299445
Honestly I default to wizards only learning spells via other more experienced wizards, books, scrolls, ect. Not level ups. Also no spell component pouch or arcane focus.
>>
>>60299678
This CAN be true, but depends a lot on the warlock and the pact. It could be that your level 3+ power depends on the presence of your book/blade/familiar, and if the patron revokes it (and they CAN revoke any of the 3) you are stuck with level 2 magic at best. But it’s also possible the warlock DOES get their juice directly from the patron - they can’t grant divine spells, as they’re not gods, but they can grant the power to cast Pact Magic. If you displease them they might be able to strip that too.
>>
>>60300124
That's an overnerf, basically makes them completely obsolete.
>>
>>60300124
You're aware that focuses and component pouches exist so that a mage can actually be disarmed/disabled, right?
>>
>>60300103
it'd be pretty shitty
>upcast burning hands or thunderwave for aoe damage
>upcast cure wounds for out of combat healing
>upcast inflict wounds for single target damage
>save lower level slots for entangle, bless, healing words, etc
That'd be just about it.
>>
>>60300103
It would be the single worst character you could possibly make at that level. You don't have subclasses for many of your classes, your base features haven't scaled at all, there is VERY little you can do and be good at it, and the multiclassing ability requirements mean you need a 13 in EVERY ability score. Bard is actually pretty good in this edition, so by all means, play that instead.
>>
File: 1526592040341.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2497)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
I plan to be running a run dnd 5e dungeon gauntlet /drinking game for at least 10 people.

Any ideas on things to gut and things to speed up combat? Also things people should drink on?
>>
>>60300242
If you roll a dice you take a drink. Gg ez
>>
>>60300103
>1 level in every class compared to 12 levels in one class

You already know the answer
>>
>>60297659
Is that a platter of infants?
>>
Hey lads, I'm playing a Zealot Monk of a neutral deity (Silvanus, Forest Father), do you think it would be more appropriate to take Radiant or Necrotic damage?

I could see arguments for both. I'm leaning toward necrotic since death is part of the natural cycle of life whereas Radiant seems to feel more closely associated with things like fire to me. Thoughts?
>>
>>60300354

Ogres gotta eat something, don't they?
>>
>>60299938
Dex could save your life, so many dex saves, and the casters don't really have much concentration stuff that'll roast your buddies, but they've got dex saves too fireball and all that
>>
>>60300377
Necrotic. Radiant damage would burn down the forest.
>>
>>60300377

>necrotic since death is part of the natural cycle of life

False. Necrotic energy is the perversion of natural death. It's associated with UNDEATH. Radiant would actually be much better for a Nature deity, since spells like Moonbeam use it.
>>
>>60300242
have your players roll to hit and damage dice at the same time, do the same yourself
If you trust your players you could ask them to make their attack rolls in advance (just between turns)
DnD combat is already very streamlined, there's not much to improve on.
If you really want to throw the baby out with the bathwater you can ban combat spells that aren't just attack roll>do damage
>>
>>60300396
>>60300411
Compelling arguments but I like the flavor of having moonbeam strikes so I think that's the way I'll go
>>
>>60300411
>Necrotic energy is the perversion of natural death
Not really. Negative Plane is an inherent part of the universe. It IS associated with undead creatures but de-facto it is not evil. Neither is radiant good, being on a Positive Plane unprotected will get you killed just as hard.
>>
>>60300516
>>60300411
I hadn't thought of moonbeam/lunar stuff, that's really cool
>>
What would be a cool patron, I like the idea of a hag patron
>>
>>60300522

>It IS associated with undead creatures but de-facto it is not evil

True, but it certainly doesn't fit a nature theme.

Spells with Necrotic Damage;
>Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting
>Blight
>Chill Touch
>Finger of Death
>Hex
>Inflict Wounds
>Vampiric Touch

I'm sure there's more since that's mostly what I found in PHB, but almost none of them scream "nature" to me, except maybe Horrid Wilting, since it dries up it's targets.
>>
File: slaadi.jpg (245 KB, 1800x726)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>60300630
But hags are fey. There is one that is fiend but there is a fiend pact too.
>What would be a cool patron
The rest of the planar axis. Modron/Primus patron and Slaad Lord patron.
>>
>>60300494
Solid tips dude, cheers.
>>
Necrotic is inherently evil
Radiant is inherently good

The planes exist as the extreme, pure version of those things.
>>
>>60300665
Yeah but Archfey are distinct separate thing, with the hag you could get some gonzo Weird Magic.
I do agree that Primus would make a cool patron but what about a pact with Limbo itself?
>>
>>60300630
A Sphinx, though that would probably be under the Seeker patron.
>>
>>60300719
Dang that WOULD be cool, aren't they celestials?
>>
Don't forget to become a Gargantuan giant soul sorcerer at 18th
>>
>>60300630
My archfey patron is a feylord who was locked away his own inter-dimensional prison. His powerful charm magics seep into other planes of existence and he basically charms his warlocks into becoming his vessels on other planes. They seek out magic artifacts in an attempt to free their "god"
>>
am I stupid for wanting to take boots of elvenkind on a hexblade with EA feat vs hat of disguise when I already have a disguise kit?
>>
>>60300665
>Primus patron
>everyone just thinks your character is autistic

>Slaad Patron
This ain't FATAL
>>
>>60300808
Monstrosities
>>
Hey has anyone run/played through ToA? In the tomb itself there is a revolving corridor trap. What, exactly, are the players supposed to do if they trigger it? It revolves and they are stuck until they die.

???
>>
>>60300899
ToA is a dungeon built specifically to show you how to not build dungeons. So yes, it's shitty.
>>
>>60300837
How are you getting to choose magic items?
>>
>>60300929
Creating a level 7 char. Was offered hat of disguise by dm, he said I could swap it out if I like.
>>
>>60300858

It seems like Sphinxes would fit into Celestial-type much better.

>Divine Guardians
>don't need to eat or sleep
>some sphinxes are high priests of gods that create them, most are embodied spirits brought into the mortal realm by devout power or direct intervention
>extraplanar
>>
I'm trying to make a singing/kazoo playing/ charasmatic/grappler/wrestler for my next campaign. I have him starting at level three so he's starting as a fighter then is taking his next 3 levels in lore bard so he can get CHA proficiencies. After that I was gonna take the rest in fighter but I'm not sure what archtype to go when he hits fighter level 3. Any advice/suggestions to make this character last as long as possible?
>>
>>60300899
my group didn't even go that direction, collectively deciding that nothing beyond the tunnel could be worth the risk of getting squished in the tunnel, we then found the secret door leading to "the maintenance" area, killed the golem responsible for making the room revolve and STILL didn't go down the tunnel, because still fuck that
>>
File: alienist_by_benwootten.jpg (248 KB, 795x420)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>60300715
>Yeah but Archfey are distinct separate thing
Its not. The Great Book gives hags as an example of one of the possible patrons for the Archfey Pact Warlock.
>"Your patron is a lord or lady of the fey, a creature of legend who holds secrets that were forgotten before the mortal races were born. This being's motivations are often inscrutable, and sometimes whimsical, and might involve a striving for greater magical power or the settling of age-old grudges. Beings of this sort include the Prince of Frost; the Queen of Air and Darkness, ruler of the Gloaming Court; Titania of the Summer Court; her consort Oberon, the Green Lord; Hyrsam, the Prince of Fools; and ancient hags."
>and ancient hags
But I do agree that crunch-wise hags don't quite fit in with the abilities and spells provided by the subclass. If we were to remove the melee stuff, I'd even say that the Hexblade spells and abilities fit the hags more.
>but what about a pact with Limbo itself
Limbo is not a sentient or sapient entity, I don't think that is feasible since the contract has to be conducted between two, well, beings. That is like making a deal with a rock.
>>60300846
>Slaad Patron
>This ain't FATAL
What's so FATAL about them?
>>
>>60300630
Some kind of elemental patron. I would want it to be like giant soul except not shit , in that you choose your patron type at level 1 and you get different spell lists abilities based on that choice, and they'd all be geared toward their own type of role. Fire would be based on blasting and you'd get spells like fireball and burning hands, earth would be based on defense and you'd get spells like stoneskin and wall of stone, air would be based on mobility and stealth and you'd get spells like freedom of movement and fog cloud, and then water would be based on battlefield control and you'd get spells like sleet storm and tidal wave.
>>
>>60300959
>singing/kazoo playing/ charasmatic/grappler/wrestler
everything about that is valor bard, my guy
>>
>>60300975
Yeah my group will though. They even went into the mirror world tomb and cleared a few rooms before noticing the trickster god tombs were empty. Boy I laughed when they went back and all the treasure and magical items vanished
>>
>>60300899
With the way it triggers, no more than two people should get caught in it
>>
>>60301003
>What's so FATAL about them?
CON save to not get pregnant when they hit things
>>
>>60300959
Pure Valour Bard dude, it's the best grappler in the game by far. You get spellcasing, extra attack, expertise in Athletics and so on.
>>
>>60300837
>EA feat
Why would you want to pay real money for loot boxes for a chance of getting a feat?
>>
>>60301054
whats the synergy between spellcasting and grappling. is there anything fun outside of just the advantage?
>>
>>60299134
>Oathbreaker
Mine was a guy that worked as a town guard for most of his career until orc overwhelmed his village and burned his family alive, so he hunted down the orc chieftain's son and tortured him to death.

I nearly cut myself on the edge every time I would go on tangents about what I did to the orc boy to the group in detail, until I was asked to stop by the other players.
>>
File: Alucard.pdf (631 KB, PDF)
631 KB
631 KB PDF
Working on my pre-gens for my castlevania campaign, first up is alucard.
>>
What's a good class for doing crazy, cool, and reckless stunts and shit. Monk?
>>
>>60301147
Monk's good, I also like Barbarian and Ranger for that reason.
>>
File: Alucard.pdf (638 KB, PDF)
638 KB
638 KB PDF
>>60301132
Damnit, forgot to list the leather armor
>>
Two questions, Anons.
1. Can a Kensei Monk choose an improvised weapon as their Kensei Weapon, RAW?
2. Would it work to Homebrew Sorcerers using Constitution as their casting modifier? It seems to fit more than Charisma, being that you draw from within yourself to use your Magic.
>>
Quick question for /5eg/, what's the intended lethality of ToA?
Playing in a game atm where I'm on my 7th reroll, when I mentioned it to people in meatspace, was told that the DM was being way too kill-happy towards the PCs.
>>
File: drakainia.jpg (116 KB, 765x741)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>60301043
Who the hell would define getting infected by an extradimensional parasite as "pregnant"? Not in the slightest do they have any sexual undertones about their ability, unlike shit like drakainias from PF which actually revolve around such themes and can make you pregnant by disgorging an embryo to a helpless victim mouth-to-mouth. Go look them up if you want some actual magical realm material and please leave the innocent colour-coded xenomorph-zombie-ork toads alone.
>>
>>60301171
I would allow both, in fact I plan on allowing modified sorcerers using CON when I run Out of the Abyss
>>
>>60301105
Enhance Ability (STR), Silence to shut down casters, Cloud of Daggers, Polymorph, Feather Fall for jumping off high things while grappling someone, Magical Secrets for Enlarge/Reduce.

There's quite a bit helpful. Enlarge/Reduce also becomes pretty much vital later on to be able to grapple things.
>>
>>60301171
1. No, it's any simple or martial weapon.
2. That's silly but it wouldn't break them. They'd get more hp and better con saves in exchange for missing out on social skills.
>>
>>60301210
but you dont have to give up your mental stat, this actually gives you more RP versatility because you arent locked into being the Chad Sorcerer
>>
>>60301171
>1. Can a Kensei Monk choose an improvised weapon as their Kensei Weapon, RAW?
No. A better question is whether an improvised weapon can be a ranged or melee weapon. It's clear that they can be used to make ranged or melee attacks, but afaik Crawford has never ruled on whether improvised ranged weapons and improvised melee weapons exist.
>>
>>60301230
Yeah, I'm just saying their focuses would shift from social
>>
>>60301200
TPK is eventually certainly possible, especially if it's run as a meatgrinder in the end. Given the death curse is a thing, I'd give players some outs if their characters died. The threat of death and the dark corners of Chult itself crawling up on the players and their characters should be played up, the former especially compared to other adventures. What you mentions sounds too much, unless you as a group specifically decided on doing that and sticking to it.
>>
File: sm2.jpg (77 KB, 600x299)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
What sounds more unbalanced /5eg/ a Sorcerer with Extra Attack or a Sorcerer with War Magic?
>>
>>60301304
>Sorcerer with Extra Attack
When would you ever use it though?
>>
>>60301167
Your personality traits sound like bonds, and your bond sound like a personality traits
>>
>>60301304
Neither because sorc as a standalone class is not that strong and Extra Attack/War Magic are all mid-level features so that will discourage multiclassing.
>>
>>60300188
>>60300200
It’s not an over-nerf. Just find the components. I actually do this for caster period so it’s not like they’re unbalanced. It produces a lot of organic adventures because the wizard wants to components for a new spell they found in an ancient tome they ask that the rest of the party escort them to a place where the component is thought to be. Also actually read what the components are. Many of them are very easy to get your hands on.
>>
>>60301318
>>60301339
Honesty... I think almost every single turn. Only due to Quicken Spell existing.
>>
>>60301279
No we were just expected to have a high body count. We're nearing the end of the module (just hit 11th level) and DM expressed surprise that no one's rerolled to double digits yet.
>>
>>60301339
>Neither because sorc as a standalone class is not that strong and Extra Attack/War Magic are all mid-level features so that will discourage multiclassing.
It would be on a Sorcerer subclass. Not the class itself.
>>
>>60301350
But you literally get more out of just casting an attack cantrip on top of the quickened spell!
>>
>>60299231
it took Zealot and Ancestral for Barbarian to actually be worth more than 6 levels at absolute maximum.
>>
>>60301390
That makes me consider: what is /5eg/'s opinion as to what classes are worth the effort and what classes are in desperate need of buffs?
>>
File: 1519312864896.jpg (169 KB, 729x992)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>60301304
>What sounds more unbalanced /5eg/ a Sorcerer with Extra Attack
>sword mage
honestly I think that the half-melee full caster shit like bladesinger or swords bard are thematically better suited for sorcerers in the first place. The whole point is that you have some level of a natural grasp of magic; it makes much more sense that someone with a physical, bloodline-based connection to magic activates their talents in unusual ways like dance or martial arts than some nerd who spent totally forgettable RP background time studying a book for a few years.
>>
>>60301378
No, you don't?

Two attack as an action is stronger than an attack cantrip. You can do things like

Quickened Spell Fireball, into two attacks, into Hasted attack if you're hasted. That seems a little too strong IMO.
>>
>>60301304
give each origin its own extended spell list, just like the other two classes that pick their subclass at level 1
done
>>
Why are monks so bad, /5eg/? What can be done to make them not suck?
>>
>>60301442
Playing 4e.
>>
>>60301430
>Two attack as an action is stronger than an attack cantrip.
You'd also be able to do this at level 6. While EKs, Valor Bard, and Bladesingers would be unable to do this really ever.
>>
>>60301442
start the campaign at level 5
stunning strike is busted
>>
>>60301430
At 5th level your cantrips are doing 2dX on the damage and Sorcs are designed for cantrip use. If you're a dragon-blooded sorc, you get your Cha mod on the damage at 6th level for instance.

So if you're that close, why aren't you smacking them with poison spray for 2d12+CHA and spending your haste on the Barbarian instead who can hit stuff better and harder than you can?
>>
>>60301430
That just gets too ability score hungry to actually be useful. Whenever I want to melee form as sorc I just pick Draconic Bloodline with SCAG cantrips and Shield. High Charisma and Dexterity as well as okay Constitution is all you need. Also use the revised Sorcerer pdf that gives origin spells and other neat stuff.
>>
File: qBeAjvz.png (2.92 MB, 848x1200)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB PNG
>>60301442
They aren't bad, you were just memed into thinking that. Stunned is one of the least resisted conditions in the game and they can impose it with a frightening frequency. You can stun a ghost. You can stun a golem. You can stun a bunch of sentient fire. Stunning Strike alone is better than any of the maneuvers Battlemaster gets and you also get more resources.
>>
>>60301442
Unlike barbarian, which lets you choose between unarmored defense or armor and lets you use a shield, Monk practically requires you to use unarmored defense, requiring you to choose between about as much armor as the wizard or noodle punches for armor that's still worse than the Ranger's. Also to make the most of your abilities you also have to be within 5 feet of the opponent unless you're a bugbear. All this makes the early game miserable.
>>
>>60301163
Ranger?
>>
>>60301530
>Stunned is one of the least resisted conditions in the game
This is true but it keys off a constitution save, probably the most consistently strong saving throw in the game.
>>
>>60301414
honestly Barb just doesn't get a whole lot to make it stand out. Brutal Critical isn't that great and then Barb gets shit like Danger Sense early on.
PHB Ranger is bad in general.
However, fucking bizarrely, Four Elements monk has some room in crazy crit builds due to Fangs of the Fire Snake.
>>
>>60301567
How?
>>
>>60301508
Because in this example your not playing a Draconic Sorcerer you're playing a Sorcerer Origin that has extra attack.

>>60301520
That's all you need for this too? You are doing the same thing, just making two attacks as an action instead of the SCAG cantrip.

I should have better worded the initial question sorry, I'm not trying to put Extra Attack or War Magic on the Sorcerer class I'm just curious what would be too strong to place on a Sorcerer Subclass/Origin.
Like if say Stone Sorcerer got Extra Attack/War Magic at level 6 which one would be too strong for what the Sorcerer class already has?
>>
>>60301567
Yeah, this is similar to what I've been thinking.
Also came to the conclusion that Champion Fighters are so boring as to not be worth it.
Sorcs seem underwhelming in general too.
>>
>>60301583
Fangs of the fire snake adds what is effectively fire smites to the Monk's repertoire. that can be boosted. and also scales better than normal smites while also running off a short rest resource.
>>
>>60301642
>can be boosted
>scales better
explain
>>
>>60297659
Yes. Fireballs made short work of them, though.

That aside, I'm really hoping for an integrated gish option like the Magus from Pathfinder aside from Valor Bards, Hexblade Warlocks with all the edginess and maybe Eks (Although my experience playing an EK has been bad outside of multiclass). Multiclassing can be quite a hassle and it's not allowed in all tables. I'm looking at the upcoming Mystic/Psion/whatever for a Spellsword kind of dude, and looks neat but meh. Duskblade when?
>>
>>60301056
I don't know what the EA stands for in his post so I don't get the joke but it's still funny
>>
>>60301718
Hobgobbo abjuration wizard?
>>
File: Gish 101.png (258 KB, 1824x870)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>60301718
>integrated gish option like the Magus from Pathfinder
>Duskblade
I'm always interested in this statement. Do you want a Class or a Subclass like the Magus or Duskblade? There are loads of homebrews floating around that meet these standards.
>>
>DM starts us past level 1
>Gives me a 2d6 polearm
>Gives other plate guy 20ac
>>
File: manipulator.png (17 KB, 125x807)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
I'm making a level 10 draconic (color yet to be decided) sorcerer for an upcoming campaign and I'm trying to put a list of spells together, but I've never played as or with a caster before.
Could someone please take a look at my list and give some pointers? I really can't tell whether I've made stupid mistakes or not.
>>
>>60301718
>I'm really hoping for an integrated gish option like the Magus from Pathfinder aside from Valor Bards, Hexblade Warlocks and maybe EKs.

What do these classes not have that you want? Valor bard has full spellcasting plus Extra Attack and armor. Hexblade has full warlock casting thanks to using Charisma for weapons. EK is a fighter - the best martial class offensively - plus spells. What is missing?
>>
>>60301803
>Draconic Sorcerer
>No Dragon Breath spell
>>
File: goblin_shaman.jpg (305 KB, 678x1000)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>60301803
Hold Monster is better than Dominate Person. Like a whole lot better. Your melee friends will love you. In fact anyone with attacks will love you because Hold Monster means automatic fuckign crits for everyone while the target has to skip its turns. Sure Hold spells cant work on Undead, but the "Person" aspect of Dominate Person makes it even more restrictive.
And you can Heighten it. So yes for metamagics I'd pick Quicken, Twinned (for Haste mainly, but also Banishment and Greater Invisibility) and Heighten. Subtle is flavourful and is also usually picked by people here, but you'd be gimping yourself.
>>
>>60297659
I want to play as a guy that was exiled from his town by the ruling noble family for supposedly killing one of their members. He then went off and joined another community, only to become a advocate of justice, making sure that the law is respected and the big guy doesn't fuck the little guy over. The twist is that he actually did kill the noble during an altercation as an act of revenge for the misdeeds of their family against the townspeople. He is still looking forward to returning to his hometown and fully enacting his revenge on them for what he considered were "evil deeds".
What class, race and alignment should I go with?
>>
>>60301818
First: the inability to deliver spells through your sword.
Second: War Magic even for measly cantrips come online too late, or for Hexblade doesn't exist. That's my main complaint, especially when other systems and classes in the past allowed that to happen faster.
Third: I wish there was something like Paladin but for arcane magic, some martial prowess, 5th or 6th level spells full, and something that combines both seamlessly. The Paladin is an excellent gish, but it's a divine one.

Don't get me wrong I've tried out all of them and love 'em to death, but I wish I didn't need to mess around with multi or homebrew
>>
>>60301969
>>60301718
Are you the creator of this?
>>
>>60301897
I thought that'd be cool thematically, but I've already got a bunch of spells that require concentration and I wouldn't know what to swap out for it.

>>60301913
I really like the idea of subtle casting with a bunch of the spells I've chosen for sneaky social stuff and I chose some spells with that exact idea in mind. Hold Monster does sound really nice though, thank you for recommending that.
>>
>>60302003
Nah. If I made a homebrew gish, it'd be close in terms of style to a frailer Paladin with a few more long range blasting spells to compensate with up to 6th level spellcasting at level 20, combat maneuvers that mix spells + magic and War magic.

Still looks cool. Hopefully Mearls will release soon that swords sorc, maybe it'll be good. Still, the Soul Knife looks like a good class/multiclass for almost any gish build too, so there's still hope for that
>>
>It's 2016
>I'm learning to play DnD for the first
>Playing Curse of Strahd Adventure League's Suits of Mist modules at LGS
>This is pretty fun
>Pretty structured and things as well
>Cool
>Some time goes by, the campaign comes to an end more or less as the store is also closing down
>DM suggests we move on to Curse of Strahd
>Oh this might be fun
>We're all level 8 tho
>"No worries I can adjust pretty easy"
>Turns out he wants the campaign to run to level 20
>Turns out he decided to stuff the campaign with XP grinding mills for no reason
>"I want you to feel really epic"
>Oh God, what have I gotten myself into
>I'm really devoted to my first character tho
>It's a Bard
>The campaign is torturous slog
>Can't even Bard around or roleplay right, the DM has decided to carve rail roads everywhere, there's no consequence that matters
>Only thing I can do that I wanted was to sow a reputation of being morally vacuous.
>Every one is either evil, coward, or retarded

Continued
>>
>>60302112
>Other players eating it up, feeds into their powergaming fantasies
>Accept I'm the odd man out
>That level 14 tho
>That want to get my bard a proper character arc
>Hit level 10
>Pick Magical Secrets: Fabricate and Wall of Force
>Hit level 14
>Pick Magical Secrets: Simulacrum and Magic Jar
>Grab all the silver I can find
>Get all the clerics I can find to make gallons of holy water (Rictavio, Petrovich, our own Cleric, etc)
>Takes a couple of days, but our DM hands our powergamers long rests out like they're going out of style
>Possess Ireena with Magic Jar
>Take holy Water and Fabricate a tub full of snow
>Make Simulacrum of myself in Ireena's body
>Teleport to Ravenloft
>Call Strahd
>"My Lord, I have betrayed my friends and brought you your bride if only you let me go."
>Deception rolls for a bard 14 are casually >30
>DM hates this
>"He goes to check it up close"
>"I cast wall of Force around him, Simulacrum Grapples
>He counter spells
>I counterspell
>Roll Initative
>Players fuming
>"idiot bard serves you right to die"
>Simulacrum Cutting Words Strahd's Initiative
>We both go first (Strong Dex +Jack of All Trades + Peerless Skill)
>Simulacrum dispells itself
>"it reverts to snow and melts instantly"
>Gallons upon gallons of holy water
>Inside of a bubble of Force
>Players face goes dead
>DM glares at me in fury
>flips for 15 minutes in the books
>Can't find rules
>Fuming says I destroyed Strahd, but before I could really kill him a contingent spell teleports away
>"I immediately drop concentration to counter spell it"
>"You can't it was too fast"
>"But you gain lots of xp Anon and can level up"
>"Strahd's (read the DM) going to super mad at you though, and hes going to kill you hard. Like, you're totally fucked
>"Yeah sure, I understand"

And so ended the story of my first character when I "cancelled coming next week" and then "got super busy with school"
>>
>>60302100
>a few more long range blasting spells to compensate
That homebrew is a Sorcerer, you do get long ranged spells if you want them.

>combat maneuvers that mix spells + magic and War magic.

The subclass has War Magic, Quicken Spell, and at 18th level, its got a Duskblade style Spell Channeling feature.

>swords sorc
Maybe one day! I can dream...
>>
>>60302199
>But you can't, it was too fast!
Fuck off, that's literally what reactions are for.
You did the right thing in bailing.
Beautiful work derailing that trainwreck though.
>>
>>60302199
Players finding ingenious ways to trivialize big bads is a part of the game.
It sucks that he'd deprive you of your moment of glory in such a cheap manner.
>>
>>60302199
dude that is beautiful and why I think bards rock. you did a good thing, finding ways to trivialize bosses and especially if they allowed you to reach that level in Strahd where he no longer was a threat, you did a good job son
>>
>>60302292
I was particularly pleased with the idea of picking up Magic Jar on a Bard, because it requires you to pass on a Charisma Save if things go awry for you, which as luck would have it, its just the best stat you have
>>
>>60302199
fortunately none of the eligible teleport spells (for contingency) target, and so, the best he could do is banishment
You really did win in the end
I am curious though, contingency states that you cast the spell as part of the casting of contingency, and that only the effect occurs once triggered. And because counterspell prevents the casting, not the effect, are you able to counterspell a contingent spell?
>>
>>60302385
Well maybe not, but Banishment doesn't work in Barovia either and Vampires are supposed to die if you kill them with Radiant Damage so I don't figure it would matter for that anon anyway
>>
>>60302385
I don't think you can counter the contingency effect as it has no casting components of any kind at that point, it just goes off.
>>
>>60302329
Bards, especially Lore bards, can do and pick up almost anything, second only in terms of sheer versatility to Wizards. In fact, my level 8 Bard is currently standing in for the classic back-row support Wizard due to the party's makeup, using cutting words and inspiration for additional support and backup, with medium armor and shields because hexblade (ty merls for making the worst class to full level but best one to dip 1 or 2 levels) and it's the closest I've played to a mage in armor.

It means I had to take Counterspell because that shit is almost mandatory asap and fireball for AoE crowd control damage when I feel like it, and with goodies like Fear, Suggestion, Silence, you can easily cover almost any need the other 4 peeps might have, and while you yourself aren't exactly a damage beast you make sure everyone else hits reliably and is powerful enough to destroy shit.
>>
>>60298067
>Being princess-carried by other party members
Sweating_Man_In_Armor.jpeg
>>
So a while back I tried doing an exploration based game in D&D, but my players complained that A: they had no direction and B:that they could just rush straight for the goal (which they did).

I didn't mind A: because that was the point of an exploration game, you gotta find out what you need to do. While I was pissed off by B I realized that's the folly of a open world, if your players don't want to explore then they won't

Each realm they explored did have a clearly outlined goal at the beginning, it was just never specified where to facilitate exploration. Once they caught wind of their needed object they beelined torwards it (despite my hints at great treasures in other places). They would then complain I'm not giving them enough treasure

What I wanted to ask was, was I in the wrong? Was I running a bad game, or did I have the wrong players
>>
File: bard wizard.jpg (108 KB, 1131x1600)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Let's settle this /5eg/ what's better, lore bard or wizard?
https://www.strawpoll.me/15892672
>>
>>60302449
All sorts of people have different preferences, the trick is to match the kind of game the DM wants to run with the kind of game the players want to play. Based on what you've said I wouldn't say anyones really in the wrong, you all just had different ideas of what you wanted in the game. This is why session 0s are important, so everyone is on the same page.
>>
>>60302422
Yeah, I made the mistake of picking Haste as my other Magical secrets spell

It's a fine pick, mind you, but my DM let you pick which animals or fey you got out of Conjure spells, so I missed out a pretty huge opportunity for some major versatility there with Conjure Animals.
>>
>>60298391
You should mention to your DM that you were looking forward to roleplaying this aspect. Even if they don’t change anything in the current game, they can be aware of it in the future and adjust accordingly.
>>
>>60302444
That's not a thing that happens in your games, anon?
>>
>>60298391
I feel your DM tho
I would make it up to you by letting your grapple Huge creatures
>>
>On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the cube. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw.
what does this even mean
>>
Anyone have a link/copy of ForgedAnvil's character creater v2.28? The last one he released before he was DMCA'd?

Only saw pre-built character sheets in the op pastebin.
>>
>>60302659
No idea what spell, but as far as I can tell it says if you save you can choose either to be moved 5 feet backwards or to either side instead of taking damage.
>>
Why are monks so shit in 5e? I just can't come up with a non-RP reason to play one, which is fine but balance wise is kinda tragic.
>>
>>60302730
Reading their rules it doesn't seem like they're shit, just... boring?
>>
just killed an aboleth

based on XGE crafting, is there any magic item that would be worthwhile to craft from a dead aboleth?
>>
>>60301818
Most people lament the lack of a magic channeling of spells through their weapon swings.
Think of a melee Arcane Archer, that uses its arcane arrows by pumping slots into it, rather than 2 every short rest (still think it's absurd)
>>
>>60302761
Psychic shit, or water breathing shit.
>>
>>60302453
Diviner Wizard is objectively the best archetype in the game desu
>>
Everyone in my play group has a weird thing for ogres, we have ran at least two campaigns where most or all of the party was ogres. I played an ogre wizard with a racially adjusted 14 intelligence (18 initially), as it turns out wizards are pretty op no matter what their int is. we also had an ogre bard, an ogre barbarian, and a ratling alchemist (he was the punching bag for the group)
>>
>>60302730
Open Hand is great, the fuck you on about?
>>
>>60301171
>Can a Kensei Monk choose an improvised weapon as their Kensei Weapon, RAW?
No, but RAW, an improvised weapon can use the stats of a weapon it resembles, e.g. a table leg serving as a club. With this in mind, I'd certainly give a monk the full benefits if their improvised weapon adequately resembles their kensei weapon. So if you want an improvised kensei monk, probably take clubs as your kensei weapon.
Alternatively, since clubs are simple weapons (and therefore monk weapons) anyway, you could go for maximum improvised-weapon-brawler flavor with a Drunken Master STR Monk who bashes chairs over people's heads and then uses the legs as monk weapons.
>Would it work to Homebrew Sorcerers using Constitution as their casting modifier?
It's a buff for sure - there's a reason that no classes use Constitution for any kind of attack. Having your damage output scale directly with your HP is very, very strong. That said, I don't think it's game-breaking...unless you do it for the UA Stone Sorcerer. One stat for AC, HP, and spellcasting is absolutely silly.
>>
>>60302730
Out of all the martials, they have the best early game damage, and great at-will crowd control that can effectively remove enemies from encounters. Open hand capitalizes on the crowd control, shadow makes for a good scout and antimage, wot4e is fucking worthless, sun soul has better ranged options than the average monk but why the fuck would you play as a monk and then go ranged? Kensei does more damage than other monks OR can get free AC via agile parry, and can get longbow proficiency kensei is why , Drunken master is the most mobile of the bunch and can therefore get stuns off while remaining relatively safe.
Monks are great when there's already a good frontline in the party, since stunning strike can give the barbarian, paladin, fighter, or what have you, advantage on their attacks while also dealing respectable damage themselves. If you have 2 beefy guys soaking up most of the damage, a monk does very well. If not, they're too risky. Monks are terrible in small parties, so most people see them in action then dismiss them as shit.
>>
>>60301520
That's not ability hungry. Use finesse weapons and all you're worrying about is Cha and Dex. Con is important, of course, but you've got the tools to make do with no more than a +2, which isn't hard to get.
>>
>>60302828
>>60302833
Good posts.
>>
>>60301961
Help me anons.
>>
Hey, where's the Unearthed Arcana link?
>>
So glad the awakened Psion archetype isn't going to be replaced by that psionic wizard subclass.
>>
>>60302919
Beneath where it says "Unearthed Arcana: Giant Soul Sorcerer".
>>
>>60302933
Not that, the one with all the rituals and stuff.
>>
>>60299699
>How do I fuck with wizards
>Be one

Really activates my almonds
>>
>>60302453
From a level 1-20 standpoint as a whole Bard have the most options, but at any one moment in the game the Wizard as a preparation caster is going to be more versatile.
>>
>>60302962
Silence is not a Wizard spell
>>
If it weren't for feats, would Two-Weapon Fighting be that bad? Besides for level 11+ fighters; I get that it falls behind there, but for, say, a ranger or swords bard, you can do 3d6+15 (~25.5) vs. 4d6+10 (~24) damage, and it's more opportunities to hit with on-hit effects like Hunter's Mark, Master's Flurish, etc.
>>
>>60302993
Oh, excuse me.

>How do I fuck with spellcasters
>Be one
>>
>>60299135
In what universe does resistance to necrotic halve healing?
>>
>>60303010
A monk will consistently go first, and stun the fuck out of any caster short of a ranger
>>
>>60299551
Grapples. Get yourself a garrote.
>>
>>60301961
>>60302888
Well, you can play a strong sense of justice as just about any class. Specifically, Vengeance Paladin comes to mind with your whole revenge character arc, but again, any class can feasibly have this goal. I get the impression that you're pretty willing to be sneaky or dishonest in the pursuit of justice, so maybe a good-aligned Rogue could also work well. A Swashbuckler, perhaps. But seriously, any class works for this backstory with minimal adjustments.
As for race, you could always just pick a race that works well mechanically with your class. If you really want to drive that sense of justice home, a Scourge Aasimar works well (and also synergizes quite nicely with Paladin). Goliaths also have a solid moral bent, but it may be unlike them to willingly retreat from a situation with the intent of coming back, as your character did. A tiefling who knows what it's like to be stepped on by others might have a good reason to stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves.
>>
>>60303010
Until they implement a maneuver or something similar that stops spell components, then yes, you'll need magical effects to beat magic.
>>
>>60303010
You can discuss the specifics of grappling with your DM. It's not RAW, but some DMs might say that if you pin someone with the Grappler feat with the express purpose of stopping casting, they'd be unable to perform somatic components, at least not without passing some kind of contested roll.
>>
>>60303089
Aasimar Vengeance Paladin seems pretty cool, although the idea of going with something like Rogue is also pretty interesting. Thanks for the input anon.
>>
>>60299551
Well if your DM is consistent about needing a focus or component bag to use spells, I guess you could target those with a ranged weapon and try and get them off their person
>>
>rolled on a loot table for a magic item
>gave my party a cloak of the mountebank
did I fuck up
>>
>>60303070
What? I couldn't hear you over my +5 AC for the rest of the round as a reaction.
>>
>>60303174
not really, isn't it just dimension door 1/day
>>
>>60303215
yeah but they're level 1
>>
>>60303219
okay that's a bit much but still not too bad
>>
>>60303232
>>60303219
Iam not him, they are level 4
>>
>>60303002
It would still be bad, unless you're not willing to spend resources. There's just so many ways currently to use your bonus action to increase damage by more than what you'd get from an extra offhand swing.
>>
Whats the best VTT. I've been trying out the new one Astral but its super laggy and crashes all the time.
>>
File: Swords.png (8 KB, 701x61)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>60303002
You can't apply flourishes to TWF attacks
>>
>>60303359
Is the off-hand attack not considered part of the attack action despite being dependent upon it? Also, and I realize this is borderline autism levels not understanding, but does the wording of "one blade flourish option per turn" mean you can use the same blade flourish option twice in 1 turn, on each swing?
>>
>>60303422
It's with your bonus action and therefore not applicable. You're correct that Blade Flourish can be used multiple times in a turn, which is why it's worded so awkwardly. The idea's that you can use it twice once you've got your Extra Attack.
>>
>>60303422
No, the offhand attack made as something other than the attack action is not part of the attack action
>>
Does anyone have a high quality map of Daggerford?
>>
>>60303422
You can only flourish once per turn
>>
>>60300630
Djinn. For elelmentalist Warlockery.
>>
>>60303492
If that was the case, it would just say "you can only use Blade Flourish once per turn." The way it's phrased, you can use it twice on a turn once you've gotten extra attack at level 6, but you can't use the same maneuver twice.

>>60303565
This is cool. Now I want an Elemental patron, with or without four sub-archetypes. Where is my Elemental patron?
>>
>>60303709
It literally says you can only use one per turn. Using the same flourish multiple times is using more than one
>>
>>60300630
A proper Undead Patron would be nice.
>>
>>60303745
It says "You can only use one Blade Flourish option per turn."
I can read it as:
>You can use one option multiple times, but not any other option.
or
>You can use one of these options once.
>>
>>60302449
Pic is your players imo.
>>
>>60303895
Do you honestly think swords bards having 2d6 extra AC permanently once they hit 14 is the intended design here?
>>
Playing CoS, should I go for a Fighter or Spell-less Ranger?
>>
>>60303948
Sounds pretty good to me actually. Move over EK, there's a new tank in town
>>
>>60303949
Spell-less Ranger is even more gimped than regular ranger at higher levels imo.
>>
>>60303949
Depends on your character concept.
>>
>>60303948
>looks at bladesinger who essentially gets a permanent +5 AC at lvl 2
I'm not sure what to think anymore.
>>
File: Pangolin.jpg (85 KB, 1050x590)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>60297659
Guys. GUYS. I had a brilliant idea. What if... there was a race... based on Anteaters and similar anteater-like animals? I NEED a Pangolin subspecies...
>>
>>60304021
Reskin Tortle.
>>
my dm is running SKT and I feel completely lost

we just spent time in yartar pursuing seemingly pointless things, and now we are leaving slightly wealthier than before

idk what we are supposed to do
>>
>>60302003
>Lightning: Your movement speed increases by 10 feet and you can move up, down, and across vertical surfaces and upside down along ceilings while leaving your hands free without falling during the move.
>Weapon does lightning damage
>Haste

Why would you not do this?
>>
>>60304021
Isn't there a pangolin-dude pdf floating around the internet? Maybe that has 5e rules.
>>
>>60304021
Pangoll Traits:

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Size: Pangolls are around 4 to 5 feet tall, and around 130-160 pounds. Their size is medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by encumbrance or heavy armor.

Natural Armor: Due to your tough outer shell, you have a natural AC of 13+ Your dexterity modifier. In addition, you may reduce all non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage by your constitution modifier (minimum of 1)

Defensive Curl: As an action, you may curl into a ball to protect yourself. Your armor class becomes 15+ your constitution modifier, and you become resistant to all non-magical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. During this curl, you may not attack, move, or cast spells with somatic components. You automatically fail all strength and dexterity checks or saving throws, are unable to take reactions, and are blinded. You may end this curl on your turn.

BURROWING PANGOLL

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 1

Burrowing Claws: You gain a burrow speed of 20ft.

TREE PANGOLL

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1

Gripping Claws: You have advantage on grapple checks, and can move your full speed when climbing. You also do not require athletics checks to climb any natural surface.

Prehensile Tail: You have a long flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. You cannot wield weapons or shields with your tail, but you can retrieve small objects even when both your hands are full.
>>
File: important question.jpg (59 KB, 540x960)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
You ever think the reason Crawford is giving out shit rulings is because he's plagued with this shit?
>>
>>60304021
>Fluff dragonborne, fluff lizardkolk
>>
>>60304110
Crawford needs to learn to not feed the trolls
>>
>>60304110
Why can't people ever do the research when they want to pull shit like this?
>>
>>60303062
resistance causes you to take half damage from life transference, and because it heals equal to double the damage taken, it will heal for whatever you roll on the dice (-1 if you roll an odd number), instead of double, like it normally would
>>
>>60304137
Something something social media is an accelerant for needy attention vampires
>>
>>60304039
I joined my group doing SKT after they finished with goldenfields (I don't know how long it's been since then) so I have no idea what quest hooks they have, if any. I started at level 5 with 200g and i'm beginning to feel a little hard done by as the DM just put the two women at our table to level 7
>>
I had to DM for the first time today
>>
>>60304230
How did it go, anon? Well, I hope.
>>
>>60304248
The players said I did good
But I know I need to improv
>>
>>60304211
my dm isn't doing xp, so i don't have that problem

but yeah, i feel like direction is in short supply
>>
>>60304110
>this is common discussion
>are hags are misogynistic?
>common discussion
Is this really what basedboy's actually talk about or was this bait to try and start shit on twitter?
>>
>>60304256
That's easy enough. Today, you had no experience being a DM, but next time, you'll have some experience, and the time after that, you'll have even more experience. Bit by bit, you'll improve.
>>
>>60304285
>Is this really what basedboy's actually talk about or was this bait to try and start shit on twitter?
does it matter? It's just the classic "are they retarded or are they pretending to be retarded?"
>>
>>60302621
Sadly no
>>
>>60304110
That, and he has to deal with people who don't read the fucking book. Imagine if every time some retard came here asking if fucking rapiers could use Dex for damage or some inane shit, you had to tell them politely what the rules for rapiers were and couldn't insult them for being fucking retarded.
It would drive any man mad. Perhaps even mad enough to sabotage his own game.
>>
>>60304294
I had to fill in because the dm she was still at work so I offered
There was the obvious flaws
Of not haveing names ready and makeing it a little obvious what the idea was
And I kinda aimed it toward the player that would fast track the plot
>>
>>60304327
I think we're on to something here.
>>
>>60301718
The psion is becoming more caster like and more fragile.
>>
>>60303244
Adventurers league gives out rare items to level 1-2 adventurers sometimes so its probably fine
>>
>>60304327
Why doesn't he implement a chat bot that pastes the page number when it detects dumb questions?
>>
>>60304389
that would be cruel to the bot.
>>
>>60299226
You talk with the player and agree on how the pact and patron works. As >>60299505 wrote "motherfucker, these are terms you literally agreed to in-character," they need to actually be agreed to, not just imposed on the player because ">>60299633 This is entirely 100% up to the DM."

Tl;dr it's an agreement, so agree on something.
>>
>>60299615
I like it when D&D settings may have good or evil gods, but not gods Of good or evil. Maybe a god of good and evil as part of a dichotomy pantheon.
>>
When you pick a draconic ancestry do you usually still take spells of other elements or do you try to use as many of that ancestry's elemental spells as you can? Would using fireball as a blue (lightning) boy be haram RP-wise?
>>
>>60304302
Sounds like you better get to work on changing that, anon.
>>
>>60304546
Well in previous editions dragons were powerful spell casters and they still can with variant rules so no not at all.
>>
>>60304267
we aren't either
we have no idea what he's doing with the levels, it's the milestone system, except you lose 1d4 levels if you have to reroll, bonus levels are awarded seemingly at random now, my mate (died) and I (late joiner) are now a level below what's intended, and now we have 2 players who are now a level above intended.
I need to vent because none of this makes any sense to me
i'm playing a mercenary being paid by the rest of the party currently but I can't fight giants at level 5. It's an awful feeling
>>
>>60300662
Necrotic damage is the instant form of natural decay. It's withering, rotting, or decomposing. It would make sense as time damage, too. I do think radiant will fit Silvanus better though.
>>
I've never played a Fighter before, how boring is it?
>>
>>60304642
depends on the archetype
>>
>>60304642
It doesn't have as much mechanical gizmos as other classes, but it's only as fun as you make it.
You'll have to find creative solutions for problems that don't involve the words "I cast..."
>>
File: 1491619236725.png (119 KB, 407x353)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
Okay so I want you guys to analyze this person im talking to. I'll give more examples of things they've said if interest is shown.

>"I'm trying to drive the new character insane"
-you bad
>"i'm chaotic neurtral thank you very much"
>>
>>60304285
It's just alt-right trolling. Move along.
>>
How do you deal with Roll20 burnout syndrome?

I've had like 6 games per week. Now that one of them has ended, it game me a sweet sense of freedom and I wanna end at least 2-3 more of them.
>>
>>60304642
They're fun as long as you aren't a champion and you don't fall for the
>fighters literally can't do anything except fight
meme
>>
>>60304702
>onionlover CReatura

Cringe
>>
>>60304642
From most to least boring

Champion (literally less fun than playing a dog or something)
Arcane Archer
Samurai (OP but you keep doing the same thing over and over again)
Cavalier
Battlemaster
Eldritch Knight
>>
Applying to a campaign, my backstory and back-up backstory are somehow already filled by the party.

Need a sorcerer backstory, any bloodline.
>>
File: THIS.png (147 KB, 666x800)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
whats the best class for making a shamshir magic middle east theme warrior. Cuz desu fighter with a curved "long sword" isn't really what i want to do
>>
>>60304753
Dex eldritch knight or a desert-themed ranger.
>>
>>60304642
you have to enjoy combat, and be able to fill the mechanical silence when you're not in initiative order, being able to hit dudes 3 times is a great feeling, but being able to hit dudes 3 times won't help you gain the favor of the kind spirits from the peace plane, or save you from the many, cozy, yet deadly traps of the soft-round dimension
>>
I know you guys hate le epic tweests, but I'm making a triton devotion paladin for a one shot and I want to make something different with him.
Any ideas?
>>
It’s my turn to DM the next adventure and we’ve settled on Strahd. In the past we’ve always used standard array for our characters as a kind of equalizer, but considering the difficulty, should I allow point buy for more powerful characters? I really want to run the adventure straight with little to no intervention.
>>
File: mystic knight.png (61 KB, 234x310)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
Making a Githyanki Fighter.

I'm the type of person that uses accents and voices when I play. What voice would suit a Githyanki? He's a Gish Apprentice who got stuck on the material plane looking for a Silver Sword someone took, and can't come back til he finds it.
>>
>>60304688
I mean, Chaotic Neutral is longhand for Asshole. I don't know what's surprising.
>>
>>60304819
he's actually two gnomes stacked on top of each other
>>
>>60304753
>what's the best class to make a fighter
Fighter.
>>
>>60304753
Kensei Monk with a sword as your Kensei weapon could fit, and also mix things up a bit.
>>
>>60304831
someone doesn't know how alignment works
>>
>>60304831
http://easydamus.com/alignment.html
>>
>>60304829
Gith are not-Japanese.
>>
>>60304841
>>60304789

thanks for the input. i'll go check those and see which one fits best
>>
>>60304922
That is the picture of the Mythic Knight OCC from Rifts, which I think is pretty sweet
>>
>>60304825
Point buy isn't even that wild and wacky, yes, you can make a character with no weak stats, but then they won't have any strong stats either. You can make a character with 3 strong stats but then they have 3 dump stats
I think it's balanced and allows for more personalized characters
>>
>>60304939
>>60304922
wait, missed the hyphen. Do you mean they're pretty much japanese?
>>
>>60304845
They know what kind of players favor certain alignments, and how many people claim chaotic neutral to allow them to do dickish things while still having plausible deniability of being a "good guy"
>>
>>60304954
Yes. Gith being not-Japanese are the same as dwarves talking with not-Scottish accents.
>>
>>60304961
that just means that not only does the player not know how the alignment works, but the DM
>>
>>60304954
Hope your party's comfortable with racist accents at the table. :^)
>>
Lawful Evil is a cool aligment.
>>
File: -3.jpg (283 KB, 1920x2194)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
You guys got any tech/firearms supplement you recommend using?
>>
>>60304976
>>60304973
FUCK

I had it in my head they were haughty assholes, holding perfumed handkerchiefs to their nose when talking to those who were beneath them. One time, in middle school, I did a speech on Hirohito where you got extra credit if you pretended to be the person you did the speech on. It was super racist. I don't want to repeat that.
>>
How would you react if your wizard wanted to homebrew his Thunderwave into a deep fried bass drop, and any time he wanted to cast a defensive spell the Somatic requirement was dabbing?
>>
>>60305014
DMG firearms. P268.
>>
>>60304753
>Desu fighter
I want to play this.
>>
>>60304976
>Hope your party's comfortable with racist accents at the table. :^)
it's strongly encouraged in my group.
>>
>>60305036
I'd call them a dumbass and say no unless all magic in the world was based on sick dance moves and music.
>>
Should I bother with GWF or just grab Defence?
>>
File: c29.jpg (127 KB, 1200x960)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>60304975
The problem is often players will play in such a way and then convince newer DMs that what they are doing actually fits alignment.
>>
>>60305036
>Not glamor bard
>The shuffle gets into your soul man
>>
>>60305057
i have no fucking clue why that happened. I didn't type that shit. Am i high?
>>
>>60305099
>Am i high?
yes
>>
>>60305026
You can have them sound however the fuck they want, but if you go by what fragments of language there is and how you're supposed to pronounce certain letters/vowels, it is quite not-weeb, but that's not surprising considering the generalness of Githyanki being samurai and Githzerai being monks.
>>
>>60305099
No, just a newfag.
>>
Quick! What's the funnest artisan's tools?
>>
>>60305094
His goal is to create a version of Otto's Irresistible Dance that replicates itself on anyone who witness a person enchanted by it
>>
>>60305124
enlighten me with your sage wisdom
>>
>>60305137
What do you think the main kind of bean they use in Natto is?
>>
>>60305114
What if I used a croaky sort of voice, but spoke broken english, like it was from a bad anime sub?

People die if they are killed.
>>
>>60305142
i dont eat fermented shit
>>
>>60305127
Woodcarver's Tools are basic but pretty fun to have.
>>
>>60305137
All you have to do is lurk moar.
>>
>>60304585
that sounds ridiculous
i never liked having different people at different levels; it always felt weird
>>
>>60305143
It's your character, man; whatever floats your boat and doesn't sound terrible enough for the other players.
>>
>>60305152
just try typing it friendo. The name of the bean.
>>
>>60305143
Is there some type of way to throw your voice so that your lips don't sync with your speech? Do that.
>>
>>60305036
Unironically, hell yes
But you'd never catch me playing that character
except you can still cast spells while restrained, so i'd need to know what he resorts to then, because there's no way you can dab while restrained
>>
>>60305127
Cooking tools.
Experiment with monsters!
Owlbear meat!
Roper tentacles!
Now you'll have a use for flour aside from improvised see invisible and on-demand explosions!
>>
File: O SHIT.jpg (18 KB, 366x380)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>60304706
>6 games per week
>>
>>60304752
"So I was, like, born this way or something."
>>
>>60305241
my great grandma was a freak chick
>>
>>60305004
Of course it is. "Lawful" is practically synonymous with "I'm not a dumbass".
>>
File: 1526507100676.jpg (314 KB, 525x620)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
>>60305036
>allowing teenagers at your table
>>
What lvl 1 concentration spells do you usually pick for a paladin?

>>60304752
>Apparently the magic of powerful artifacts has to escape to somewhere when destroyed.
>>
>>60304752
>be a hobo
>live under a bridge by a nice stream
>on occasion, walk across town and steal some food from stalls and pick some pockets to survive
>drink from and bathe in the stream
>life is nice and simple
>one day, there's an accident in the wizard's tower upstream
>some weird multicolored shit spills into the river
>whatever, won't stop me from cleaning off my sticky ballsack
>bathe in the magic shit
>start washing my arms
>notice there's some weird glowy blue writing all over them
>thefuck.gif
>frantically scratch at the arms to get the stuff off
>for some reason, a glowy dart shoots out of my hand
>and another
>wait, they keep coming out
>they're flying at some guy walking by
>oh shit
>they seem to grow bigger and faster as they keep flying
>they hit him, and he gets splatted
>dude's either dead or dying
>nope, not dealing with this right now
>I grab my pants and run until I reach *campaign start point*
>>
>>60305325
Depends on what I'm going for with my character concept.
>>
>>60305325

#Bless
>>
>>60298334
Cleric
You are his God and master whom he worships

Monk, he'll be butt naked and unarmed anyway, same for barbarian.

Rogue, teach him to sleight of hand shinies in exchange for head pats, probably the most efficient in terms of DPs given no weapons.and his size.
>>
>>60304825
>>60304947
What’s the rules for point buy? Is it 27 points or 24? And no stat can exceed 15 before racials or be lowered below 8, right?
>>
>>60298334
>A Paladin that lays on tongue?

This is too adorable to pass up. Just get him some heavy dog armor to keep him up.
>>
>>60305446
27 and yes
8 costs zero, then each additional point costs 1 until 14, which costs 7 and 15 which costs 9
>>
>>60305446
>>60305485
worth mentioning for your mates who might look at it and go "but standard array is better".
You can "buy" the standard array, exactly, no more, no less
>>
>>60305446
http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html
click Rules as Written
>>
>>60301318
Depends on your level, weapon, and damage bonus, but potentially instead of any cantrip.
>>
>>60301414
>what is /5eg/'s opinion
Retarded, as always.
>>
What are some interesting takes on different elementalist builds that aren't just dragon sorcerers/storm sorcerers?
>>
>>60305510

strictly speaking point buy is better because it allows you to get two 16s and a 14 with more ease, which is preferable for almost any class, you hardly ever need more than two max stats + one 14 stat
>>
Do you think reflavoring a heavy crossbow as a small hand-held canon would make for a bad ass dwarven Forge Cleric tank boy?

I'm imagining you don't even need crossbow expert because you only have one attack per turn.
With plate you could probably handle taking opportunity attacks and spirit guardians could keep people from getting on your ass too much.
>>
>>60305485
Would giving them 24 points and flattening the costs to 1 give the same results yet be simpler?
>>
Can Lizardfolk in Forgotten Realms be blue?
>>
>>60305593
only if they're a blood bowl star
>>
/5eg/ i need help. I'm running Tomb of Annihilation and my player are getting bored about the whole excrawling part. They are close to reach Mbala, and that would mean a minimum of 21 days of travel to reach Omu
Besides the obvious solution of moving Omu closer to Mbala, what could i do to make the travel quicker and more interesting?
>>
>>60302730
I enjoy building monks with lots of mobility, but only when I confirm the mobility rules with the DM before.
>>
>>60305539
Depends on your race, but ya. Point buy is definitely better 9/10 times. But I’m worried that Strahd is filled with killzones so I’m considering allowing it for this campaign. I’d rather DM for a party of munchkins than have to constantly deus ex for them.
>>
>>60305636
You could skip some days saying nothing interesting happens.
But honestly, Chult feels like the only time travel has been something that added to the game for me. And the trek through the jungle was what made it feel more real. Knowing that on any particular day we could get swarmed by zombies or fucking dinosaurs, or dinosaur zombies.
Most games in 5e travel is so often handwaved or just the DM looking to ambush you if you don't set watches.
>>
File: 1351452534859.jpg (407 KB, 1258x693)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
>>60305648

or you can just let them die
>>
>>60305099
FUCKING NEWFAGS GOING TO FILL UP MY CRINGE COMPILATION FOLDER
>*SNAP*
>>
File: Capture.png (43 KB, 621x902)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
Should fighter using a Greatsword use the Great Weapon Fighting style for a little more damage, the Defense style for a little more AC, or the Protection style to lock down foes?
>>
>>60305537
Sea sorcerer + Hexblade spamming Chaos Bolt and dealing all kinds of damage.
>>
>>60305707

Protection is shit.

I like Defense personally because it's just a static bonus, you don't have to do extra rolling to use it.
>>
>>60305707
Greatsword = GWF
Defensive = only if you don't have fullplate
Protection = never?
>>
>>60305707
Great weapon fighting is shit, protection requires a shield and it's shit
Draw you own conclusions
>>
>>60305731
that's actually what I was thinking. I don't want to slow down combat on every extra attack.
>>
>>60305707
Defense is great no matter what due to bounded accuracy.
>>
>>60305707
Basically what others have said.
Although I did DM a game once for two sword and board wielding players that both had protection.
Final battle they were back to back against a horde of demons protecting eachother and it was the most battle bro-tier shit. Really cool moment.
>>
Should I take lucky on my wild magic sorcerer?
Or tough? (Already have 18 con, I would be a beefy boy)
>>
>>60305799
Get inspiring leader instead of tough. It's like half-tough for your whole party every short rest.
>>
>>60305799
Warcaster ez. As a sorcerer you should be twin casting haste/greater invisibility and it's super important to keep concentration
>>
>>60305799

Resilient: con would probably be the better choice for concentration checks. it's basically never a bad idea to take lucky - it's that good.

Also I appear to have gotten suckered into DM'ing a new game so fuck me, now I have to figure out a campaign or pick a hardback. The majority of the players are brand new which is kind of nice but will be a logistical headache.
>>
>>60305799
I was thinking lucky could have good synergy with bend luck. Could really end up saving my ass or someone else's.
>>
>>60305827
>taking resilient con when sorcerer already has con save prof

>>60305816
I considered this but I'm thinking of persuading our paladin to take this instead. Depends on how the campaign unfolds.

>>60305821
True but lucky could perform this almost as well. Also, proficiency in con saves already means I've already got a +6 to the save. If I somehow roll less than a 4 I could bend luck or use lucky.
>>
File: 1372916306680.jpg (1.37 MB, 1991x3196)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
If your players approach you with plans to make guns and gunpowder, with the possibility to upgrade to rifles as the game continues, you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:

>B-b-b-but muh medieval setting
>B-b-b-but muh meta-gaming
>B-b-b-but mommy, homebrew sucks!

Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, elf-loving fantasy, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.

TL/DR, if you can't handle guns in fantasy settings, you shouldn't be a DM.
>>
>>60305593
Yes, there is a tribe of blue ones in the Mere of Dead Men.
>>
>>60305874
is this a hot and spicy new meme?
>>
>>60305874
If you can't handle the fantasy setting, just leave the setting and the system.
>>
>>60305350
Brilliant.
>>
>>60305854
Yeah the lucky thing is true. The somatic components don't really matter either since you arnt going to be using a shield, unless you multiclass to paladin
>>
>>60305922
Yeah he's not multiclassing. He's full caster.
Basically he's a half-genie learning to control his powers. Hence the high con from racials.
I feel like lucky fits in well with the idea of reality bending/wishes.
>>
>>60305939
Also, to add to this. He's got misty step and a few other ways to stay firmly out of getting hit range.
>>
File: y tho.jpg (37 KB, 562x615)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>60305901
>and the system
>>
The monster manual has convinced me that AC becomes way less important the longer the campaign goes on. You get hit a lot. Spells will ignore your AC and fuck you up.
Critical hits will also ignore it and fuck you up even harder 5% of the time from monsters that often just multi attack increasing the chance further.

Why shouldn't I just pump con and rely on a lower AC to deflect a few blows here and there?
>>
>>60305996
I can't think of reasons not to play barb, either.
>>
>>60305996
To add to this, I mostly mean on characters where your AC will never get very high without the assistance of magical items.
>>
>>60305994
It supports melee, magic, and some arrows. Guns, cannons, grenades and artillery it does not.
>>
>>60306006
That's what I'm saying brother
>>
>>60306022
It can support artillery but I usually don't move much past the early days of sail.
Flintlock pistols and shit can be fun. Just make them not very accurate and a full action to reload (meaning thief with fast hands could reload it with a bonus action).
>>
>>60304752
you're a 40 something late bloomer sorcerer. Ironically, all your life you enjoyed magic tricks like sleight of hand shit. You were very mediocre at it your whole life, but you ended up running a magic trick shop when you tap a hat with a wand and set your entire store on fire.

I think this character thinks the wand itself is what's magical, and that can be a character flaw. If you're ever removed from it, you freak out and assume you're just a regular person again.
>>
>>60306048
I mean, the very early stuff it can certainly support, I agree with you. But, like everything, it must evolve. A wizard will make a new spell. A fighter will have a fucked up sword. And so too, must a gunpowder based weapon evolve. And we both know that said gunpowder weapon evolves to make the other ones obsolete. So unless you introduce it at a point where, after several years, you'll never look at the setting again, it's just guns. Maybe gunsmagic, but mostly guns. It can't be supported by the system
>>
>>60305585
so it's one handed, but crossbow expert doesn't let him use a bonus action to shoot again? and he can't equip a shield with it? sounds fine.
>>
>call it crossbow expert
>it's for all ranged weapons, even ranged magic attacks
WHY wizards. Why do you love confusing people
>>
>>60306079
Not necessarily.
There can be all manner of reasons as to why the technology doesn't advance.
And even if you want it to, it can be slowed by thousands of years. Whatever you want, really.

If it were me though, I probably would swap systems if we decided to play the same setting but far in advanced with magic guns and shit.
>>
>>60306091
Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was one handed. Still the same stats and everything as a heavy crossbow. It's literally just a reflavoring.

Mostly was concerned if cannoneer dwarf sounded as cool as I think it does.
>>
>>60299134
>Guts
>not a human berserker barb or fighter battlemaster
Holy shit, most of his character is about being a mere human overcoming all odds and killing demons or even gods.
Im really angry right now
>>
>>60306104
for exactly that reason, so people who just want to firebolt-punch people or warlocks that are worries about getting "locked out" of EB have a way of doing just that
>>
>>60306104
It's pretty much a waste of a feat to take it just to bypass the close range disadvantage.
It's not as confusing either as sharpshooter. The amount of times I've had to tell the rogue they can't -5 to get a +10 damage on their dagger...
>>
>>60306011
Because the difference between 15 ac and 18 ac is getting hit an average of three times or two times, and three times kills you.

AC is always important, but don’t forget you have other ways to interact with damage avoidance.
>>
>>60306104
They do this with a lot of feats because 5e feats are two 3.5 feats that are only slightly related to each other in 1.
GWM has both cleave and power attack attached to it, but I don't think the cleave portion requires you to have a heavy weapon, just has to be a melee attack that crit or reduced hp to 0.
>>
What do you fellas thing of a dragon sorcerer/drunken monk that uses alcohol as a component of his dragon breath?
>>
>>60306150
What if they threw the dagger?
>>
>>60305996
The most common form of damage next to ATK vs AC is from DEX or take half saving throws. That’s why shield mastery is the best tanking feat in the game.
>>
>>60306155
Perhaps. But late game you go against enemies with crazy high to-hit bonuses. Where your AC is almost completely irrelevant.
>>
>>60306180
Throwing a weapon doesn't turn it into a ranged weapon. You can't sharpshooter an axe either.
>>
>>60306172
Sounds like someone is trying to fake being a dragon sorcerer/ regular fire-breather.
>>
>>60306205
What's fake about breathing magical fire as a sorcerer?
>>
File: 1219448185596.jpg (72 KB, 640x480)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>60306181

Are coconut crabs statted in D&D?
>>
>>60306233
Coconut crabs are like the size of standard fantasy crabs, so just use crab stats
>>
>>60306225
The fact they HAVE to use alcohol in order to do it. It sounds like a regular circus act.
>>
How does one escape a locking spike pit trap? It says DC 20 strength or DC 15 thieves tools to open it back up, but how do you do either when you’re 10 ft below and presumably impaled on spikes?
>>
>>60306248
Well, the normal component is a hot pepper. Being a drunken monk it just makes sense.
>>
>>60305996
Because you still have to survive the first two tiers of the game where AC matters a lot. After 10th level or so, though, yeah, unless your AC is 20+ you're still gonna get hit plenty of times. However, decent AC still allows you to avoid damage from low level monsters that might come at you in high numbers.
>>
>>60306188
Yes, but those enemies don't fight alone, they have minions with much lower bonuses who will wear you down if you don't have enough AC.
>>
>>60301535
Monks can make ranged attacks.
>>
>>60301913
>Twinned (for Haste mainly, but also Banishment and Greater Invisibility
Twin is nice for buffs like that but useless for banish. It's cheaper to just use a 5th level slot on banish.
>>
Made a thing.
>>
>>60306497
Really? 4 SP and a 4th level slot seems cheaper than a 5th level slot, considering there's a big power gap between 4th and 5th level spells.
>>
Ambusher. Starts of with a bola and scimitar ambush + traps to surprise the party with. Fights with a group of weaker orcs and/or goblins. Round two goes all in with an axe and scimitar mutliattack 4.

Low defensive CR but high offense and a chance to hit hard on a surprise round.
>>
File: half-orc tg.png (243 KB, 600x745)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>60306536
nice thing
>>
>>60306550
>>60306556
Whoopsies
>>
>>60306538
Well look at the math, with your sorcery points
>4th level slot, which can be burned into 4 sorcery points, plus another 4 sorcery points
>vs 5th level slot, which can be made with 7 sorcery points
>>
>for every 2 extra attacks you can attack once more when using your bonus action to TWF
Thoughts?
>>
>>60306609
o baby 7 attacks
>>
>>60306629
Get ready to crit fish
>>
>>60306609
Here’s my fix

TWF Style lets you make an extra attack as part of the attack action.

Dual Wielder lets you add your attribute modifier to the damage roll of the extra attack
>>
>>60306609
>making Twf viable for fighter and barb
You monster
>>
>>60306668
4d8 when fighting wth 2 longswords on lvl5?
>>
>>60306680
TWF is already viable for barbarians, it just falls off at level 4 compared to GWM.

Same with fighters. Also barb archetypes frequently use their BA. Fighters really don’t but it ultimately comes down to being inferior to just great weapon fighting. There’s ultimately two ways to do 5e outside of levels 1-3, which is sword and board for defense or two handed weapons.

>>60306609
Turns martials into absolute demons at 5. 4d6/8+4str/dex is average 26/28 damage per round. Compare it to GWF who are 4d6+2str/dex which average to 21, with GWM giving them a chance to do 10 more with a bonus attack, and a situational 20/30 extra damage on low AC dudes.

Also this would make anyone with a rider really really dumb. Consider a Ranger applying hunters mark. Turn one is 2d6 extra damage. Then turn two is 4d6 extra damage. Paladins at 11 drop PAM and do 4d8 extra damage.
>>
>>60306753
No it’s part of the attack action instead of as a bonus action. Guess I should specify.

So the fighting style just frees up your bonus action. Situationally good, while the feat is attractive for non-martials and martials alike. A rogue would enjoy the dpr and AC boost, since it went from 2 dpr to 5-7 dpr boost.
>>
>>60299087
Well, at least he was ashamed
>>
File: maisie.png (155 KB, 361x363)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>60306139
I feel you anon
>>
>>60306927
Thanks. I'm still angry.
>>
That time again, friends.
>>60306989
>>60306989
>>60306989
>>
>>60305253
What? You only have 2-3? Are you a loser/
>>
Out of curiosity, does anyone know a good source for cartoon-y noblebright character art? DM'ing a noblebright campaign for my younger sister and can't find much art for it.
>>
>>60307062
Pinterest and artstation are my go-to's; once you find an appropriate piece, you can better refine your search.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.