[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: 1s4Gb.jpg (20 KB, 480x204)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
What's your biggest player related pet peeve?
>>
>>60309590
The player who goes "It's what my character would do" in a situation that is very likely to escalate into PvP.
>>
>My character wouldn't go on this adventure/hang out with the party/otherwise participate.
Why are you at the table if you don't want to play?
>>
>>60309590
The player who wants to play something other than D&D, and then whines about having to remember how whatever the new system is different from D&D.

And in a somewhat related vein,players who whine about enemies fleeing from them since it "steals" their XP.
>>
>>60309590
>On phone entirety of session.
>Only looks up for the word "initiative"
>Constantly asks what he missed
>Phone died? Falls asleep at table.

I've gotten to the point I refuse to repeat myself and if a player missed anything because their phone took priority to the game then guess you and therefore your character were not paying attention. Only really affects our resident ThatGuy
>>
Players who are afraid to take any risks whatsoever. I mean I can understand wanting to mitigate risk but when you're a Lawful Good paladin whose backstory claims he espouses loyalty, nobility and honor and then refuse to duel the corrupt baron for the fate of the town's inhabitants because the baron is a good duelist and there's a decent chance he could die it's so deflating.
>>
>>60309590
Trying to force 'epic' moments instead of allowing them to happen naturally. The sort of guy who's more concerned with telling people stories about him playing the game than actually playing the game itself.
>>
>>60309671
We have someone similar except he spends the whole session on his laptop.
>>
File: well bye bye.gif (2.21 MB, 525x219)
2.21 MB
2.21 MB GIF
>>60309590
Not showing up.
>>
>>60309590
One of my players antagonizes every one of the npcs and it makes game play insanely difficult for the party. Everywhere they go, they make enemies because of that player.
>>
> Doesn't pay attention to the battle outside their own turn
> Doesn't think to solve combat outside of "I move to that one and attack it"
> Doesn't keep up with their character sheet
> Looks for hookers every time
> Whips dick out, in game or out
> Get mad at DM for being mean to their character
> "Alright, we move on to the next plot point!"
>>
>>60309590
Poor hygiene and obesity. But especially the first one. Got T-boned on my way to work and was pretty injured for 6 months a couple years ado, put on like 40 lbs. I understand, shit happens, but I lost the weight.

It’s odd that people put more time and work and thought and planning into some intangible game that at the end of your life literally means nothing than they put into their own body and lives.

The worst for me is that I’m decently fit, and I get ostracized by over weight gamers like I couldn’t possibly be interested in traditional games. It’s not like I do this shit for the female attention.

Alright I’m done.
>>
>>60309906
>The worst for me is that I’m decently fit, and I get ostracized by over weight gamers like I couldn’t possibly be interested in traditional games. It’s not like I do this shit for the female attention.

Preaching to the choir. I work as a personal trainer, and train martial arts and it's like every con or game store I go to I have to *earn* street cred when I've literally been playing / DMing for 20 years.
>>
>Players who try to use persuasion but don't actually present any argument or line of reasoning
This is my biggest pet peeve of all. I don't expect my players to necessarily say word for word what their character says but I do expect them to present a line of reasoning or argument as different arguments will naturally be more likely to succeed than others depending on who they're dealing with. It's as if to them persuasion is little more than 'do this because I tell you to'
>>
>>60309949
I feel the same, and extend it to almost everything else their character does as well.

> I take the fancy mirror
"Where, player? Where do you put this 6ft mirror on your person to transport it out of here?"
> I thought it just went in my inventory

> I use the scroll of fireball
"How do you read it, you're standing in the middle of a Darkness spell"
> I thought I just *use* scrolls

> I intimidate the guard
"Okay, what are you doing to intimidate him?"
> Rolling intimidate, right?
>>
>>60309590
Touching other people's dice mid-roll. Even if it's to keep them from going off the table, it's still interfering with fate.
>>
File: 1528844954783.jpg (17 KB, 280x287)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>60309590
Most of them are player specific
>one guy who always plays a variation of the same character, Bigman McNot!Guts. Even in campaigns with less combat he still makes characters who are fairly bloodthirsty.
>one player who [autistically screeches] in character whenever the campaign doesn't go their way. Biggest fit she ever threw was when Not!Guts freed their prisoner for a very good reason and all the NPCs didn't automatically agree with her when she pointed the finger at him without compelling evidence other then her own word. She tried to dismantle the whole town's system of governing from inside just so she could get her way. It failed.
>another guy who is almost always on the above player's side, both IC and OOC becasue he's a beta orbiter for her. Also a massive rules lawyer and I have to tell him "just fucking roll with it" ten times a session becasue he always has some obscure rule to point out how X won't work
They are not this bad all the time but when it rains, it pours.
>>
>>60309590

Players thinking they're smart to question the premise. If we've all agreed to play a game with a certain tone, theme and style- Which I always make sure of before the game, making sure everyone understand what they're in for- people who then turn around and start to act as though they're smarter than the setting through 'realistic' logic piss me off.

Yeah, some things don't work the same way as they do in the real world. That's a feature, not a bug.
>>
>>60309644
>wants to play something other than D&D, and then whines about having to remember how whatever the new system is different from D&D.
play Pathfinder
>>
File: 1507631158467s.jpg (4 KB, 240x250)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>60309590
Player who don't respect other players' characters

>Playing 5e with two other guys
>First time ever playing tabletop for any of us
>Make ex guard captain merc fighter who adventures to make money for the family he was forced to abandon after being exiled for corruption
>Find roleplaying really hard at first but gradually grow into it and start really enjoying it
>Love seeing my guy slowly change from a gruff asshole to a bit of a mentor figure for the party
>Neither of the other two players even attempt to roleplay at all and either act like assholes or lolsorandumb memesters
>Several sessions in party is in fight with necromancer and his undead direwolf
>While other two guys are fighting the direwolf my dude charges the necromancer, leaps through a wall of fire and almost kills him before the necromancer manages to slay him
>Other two characters kill the wolf and turn to the mercenary when one of them thinks it would be the funniest thing ever to beat the nearly dead necromancy to death with my character's corpse
>I'm quite upset at losing my first character who I was really attached to and tell him not to but DM goes through with it and that guy and DM are in fits of laughter as DM describes my character and the necromancer being reduced to a pulp

I'm still fucking mad
>>
File: 1509184727185.jpg (40 KB, 427x427)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>MTG
>Opponent does X
>Respond with Y, which has been on the field for several turns
>"Oh, well nevermind"
>mfw
>>
File: 457324653415.jpg (90 KB, 1838x1030)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>60309590
People who Kill Jester.
>>
File: hqdefault(6).jpg (8 KB, 480x360)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>60310687
Lissen

Is my moneh

Is my game

Dae it

Kill uh
>>
>>60309590
Rolling before saying they're doing anything and rerolling till they get a good roll and asking if they can use that to do X
>>
>>60309590
Refusal to shut up and drop it after I say the argument is over. I can deal with most strains of social retardation, but I can not abide someone who will hold up the game over some idiotic argument that no one else cares about and refuses to drop it when directly ordered to.
>>
People that fucking roll before the gm mentions combat even started, or just that any kind of roll is needed. We had to stop this guy and remind him he was in a town square full of guards that would confiscate his shit for murdering someone or stop him from drawing his weapon altogether while the dude was starting to describe his kill.
>>
>>60310638
Faggot
>>
>>60309590
nothing characters who offer no opinions or ideas, but constantly shoot down party plans or refuse to play ball
>>
>>60312280
>that guy detected
>>
File: 1520431066965.png (221 KB, 599x338)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
people who don't fucking pay attention, every fucking time with this guy we'll have a 20 minute in character conversation and this guy will pipe up at the end and say he doesn't know what was said and the guy in the party who has to interrupt someone talking to an NPC to make a shit joke or ebin meme.
>>
Teehee Maccaroni is the bane of my fucking existence.

Every fucking campaign that my GM runs inevitably at some point involves running into an NPC named "Teehee Maccaroni," who the GM affectionately describes as "an epic level sorcerer who's also a retarded nudist gnome."

Teehee Maccaroni wander the countryside with a unique Rod of Wonders powered by "retard magic" shoved up his anus, and he casts the Rod of Wonders by diddling his penis. He says nothing but his own name in different inflections and the phrase "I like-a the goodberry, gimme gimme the goodberry." The GM thinks it's hilarious to have this character show up during the middle of encounters we're struggling at and start jerking off magic everywhere.

But the worst part is his chant. He wanders around chanting his name, so when he's about to show up the GM will start low;
>Tee-hee-hee, Maccaroni Maccaroni
>Tee-hee-hee, Maccaroni Maccaroni
And then get louder and louder until he's fucking shouting
>TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI!
>TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI!

And the table loves it! The other guys I play with think this is the best shit! Teehee Maccaroni has been our table's de-facto inside joke, our signature "running gag" for six years now. When that chant starts up, everyone else joins in like a ritual; the whole table is expected to start chanting "TEE HEE HEE, MACCARONI MACCARONI" by the end, and every fucking time I refuse because this is some embarrassing circa-2002 Penguin of Doom shit, it's always the same thing; "There goes Anon again! No fun allowed around Anon! Anon's just a big grouch who's getting angry because we're making him touch Teehee Maccaroni's penis again! Why won't you just let us have fun with this character, he's just here for dumb fun, you stick-in-the mud!"

These motherfuckers are all over 25 years old.

Teehee Maccaroni is going to be the death of me.
>>
File: 1492892194280.gif (1.83 MB, 275x154)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB GIF
Players who are just there for the combat and basically want to press space on conversations with NPCs to skip through to the fight or cause one, it's a superhero game so out of theme to start with but they don't even do a very good job of fighting. Whatever they are up against they will just run up to and smack with their one big attack over and over until it goes down or they run out of resources/the attack isn't workable in the tactical situation and then call bullshit on balance of the combat.

To the point were I may just stop the game.
>>
File: 1527342323928.jpg (53 KB, 500x383)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>60312446
Jesus Christ
>>
>>60309590
The player who asks questions about how his own race/class features work. Scott, you'll gladly pick up a book to level up and buy items, but you won't crack it open to answer your own questions?
>>
>>60309590
The guy that wants to be the main character and keeps forcing their character into the spotlight.
>>
>>60309590
Players who never think before they act.
>>
>>60312607

This is stale pasta.
>>
>>60309767
I mean, you would never do a 50/50 with your life irl, so there is no point in doing it in the game. There's a difference between thought out heroism and simply engaging in a fight for the sake of a "heroism".
>>
File: image.jpg (682 KB, 600x679)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
>>60309828
>I’m that player
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 447x453)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
That one player who unironiclly wants to role play out every fucking thing
>>
>>60312509
No one cares about your le ebin bullshit story, bub. People are just there for action. Give em a good dungeon crawl and have a good time.
>>
>>60309590
Probably
>taking forever to make a decision on what to do on combat. As if each time it was their turn it's a whole new situation that they haven't been watching for the last ten minutes
tied with
>not knowing what bonuses they have on their rolls for a character they've been playing for several years.
>And having to ask again each time it's their turn.
>>
>>60309590
Players who use their phones/tablets for non-gaming related stuff.

No, we don't want to watch a youtube clip of a farting kitten right now. And no, no one wants to spend 5 minutes getting your ass up to speed whenever you look up from the phone and ask what's happening.
>>
>>60309644
>>60309671
>>60312384
>>60312827
Symptoms of shitty gm’ing. It’s not their fault you can’t craft a engaging and compelling story or encounters
>>
>>60312785
Not that Anon but it's literally just rolling some fucking dice. I'd rather play videogames at this point

How can people be not bored with combat in ttrpgs
>>
File: 1528863762737.jpg (23 KB, 800x551)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>60309927
>>60309906
That is hilariously pathetic holy shit lmao. I only play with friends but were all functioning people in reasonably good shape.
>>
>>60312896
Some people just won't be engaged. The guy like that in my group is always the first to "stand out of the way" because he "doesn't know what's going on", and then he comes back after the conversation and says "right so what's the plan?"
>>
>>60309906
>>60309927
>tfw 1/2/3/4 but still not /fit/ enoguht to mogg neckbeards
>>
File: 1486692442668.gif (176 KB, 250x291)
176 KB
176 KB GIF
>>60309590
>Players who make the exact same character over and over again
>Players who decide they are the main character and that the others don't matter
>Players who never speak up
>Players who never try anything in combat other than "I attack"
>Pop culture reference characters
>PEOPLE WHO LEAVE THE PARTY TO BROOD CONSTANTLY AND GET THEMSELVES KILLED EVERY OTHER SESSION BRENDON
>>
>>60310675
>have Malignus with trample in play in EDH night at LGS
>swing at someone
>he blocks with his master of waves
>end combat, wait for his master of waves to get put into the graveyard
>"master of waves has protection though"
>show him the ruling on gatherer
>"oh well i'm not gonna block then"
>point out it's well past declaring blockers
>throws a fit that we're not gonna roll back so he can get the better option
>judge has to tell him to concede or continue
>"if we were friends and at a kitchen table you'd let me do this"
>"good thing we're not."
>scoops and ragequits out of the store
at blockers I would've been more than happy to explain the niche interaction with the way the comprehensive rules specifies protection -prevents- damage which is trumped by the card rule saying Malignus damage can't be prevented so he could make an informed decision but you can't savescum a fucking cardgame
>>
>>60309590
When a player kills someone doing nothing wrong simply because they can. Videogames were a mistake.
>>
>>60312907
>combat is just ‘I run up to the guy and swing my axe’
Stop playing d20 variants and 5e
>>
>>60312896
I'm not the DM in this situation, it's annoying as a player to have to go over events multiple times because one guy can't pay attention.
>>
>>60312907
>>60312509
Agreed. Combat in TTRPGs can be great as long as its framed with good narrative stakes and character development otherwise you may as well play a wargame or vidya.
>>
>>60309599
They probobly had a good reason

Unless you are chaotic neutral IRL no one pvps for no reason. Tell character b to stop being a nigger to character a.
>>
>>60313005
>You have to play obscure games with contorted rulesets to enjoy true ttrpg!
What a great compelling argument
>>
>>60312964
Literally all of this. Imagine being me currently DMing my first game with 10 fucking players because the one retard that wants his character to be the MC told everyone that I was DMing a game for them. At least I've picked up some good techniques and what not but holy shit are most of the players trash.
>>
>>60309590
players who think they're hot shit for being a certain class, I don't care if you're a paladin, wizard, or even rogue like me. if you think you're better than anyone else here for being your class, I will legitimatly try to fuck you over in game. though at least I'll hide the fact I'm trying to fuck you over.
>>
>>60312693
>t. cowardly knave
>>
>>60312896
If one person does it and the other 2-4 other players seem to have a good time and are focused, it's a shitty player.
>>
>>60313057
t. stupid good character
I always kill the players that want to do acts of "heroism" whose only plan is "I'm going to kill that guy"
>>
>>60312946
/fit/ here. I find 3 and 4 are just fine for squat and diddy, maybe 4+ for diddy, but the ohp and bench need to be 2 and 3 respectively. I hit 1234 almost exactly 2 years ago. Once I cut down I still looked kinda dyel. Got the ohp and bench up to 225 and 305 in feb, just finished my cut 2 weeks ago, I feel like I’m finally making it.

Also don’t forget core. And try to work in pull ups and/or heavy rows. It made a big difference too.
>>
>>60312896
>t. Spastic That Guy
>>
Stuttering fucks.
>>
>>60313093

You're not a very good GM. You're supposed to kill the characters, not the players.
>>
>>60313050
>first time DMing
>10 players
Holy shit nigger what are you doing
Cut that party straight in half and if you're a limp wristed "muh frens feefees" beta you turn it into two campaigns on two different days.
>>
>>60312896
Super entitled player who sees the GM as a servant for providing fun, the post.
>>
>>60313139
I don't mind mild speech impediments but it's always the worst ones that want to be party faces and roleplay all their dialogue.
>>
File: 1406756165369.jpg (4 KB, 144x216)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>60312994
>"good thing we're not."
>>
>>60313053
If you have to attack people while they are sleeping then they ARE BETTER THAN YOU lmao

yes that ninja is 100% rogue and 100% better. Yes, you should respect your psion. Who ever does the most damage is the main character and the rest of you are supports
>>
>>60313262
what class do you run exactly?
>>
>>60313112
I was lucky to hit 1. I dont' think i've got the genetics to hit 2 without roids.
>>
>>60313326
Please don't give him an opportunity to double down on his shitty bait.
>>
>>60313355
that was the entire idea of the reply
>>
>>60313380
Ah, still in your troll feeding newfag stage. Carry on then.
>>
>>60313093
*teleports behind you*
>>
>>60312994
>at blockers I would've been more than happy to explain the niche interaction
but you didn't. were you just waiting for him to ask?
>>
File: like magic.gif (490 KB, 350x196)
490 KB
490 KB GIF
>>60312907
>How can people be not bored with combat in ttrpgs

Play shit systems, win shit prizes.
>>
>>60312446
Nice pasta
>>
>>60313326
my favorite class in pathfinder is the prodigy from spheres of power
>>
>>60312907
Combat is the best part of 3.x and onward DnD

Everything else other RPGs do better, but here combat is king. I wish there was another RPG with combat as good. (Only common example I see is riddle of steel)

I came from a background of freeform RP so I dont need rules for all the out of combat junk. the appeal to me of DnD as a high schooler was an infinite game of FF tactics
>>
>>60309793
underated
>>
Magical Realms and people who see the obvious sign of one and still enter.
>>
>>60313507
Yeah, I'm gonna explain every niche card interaction like I'm a fucking side character in Yu-Gi-Oh explaining the villain of the week's deck to the audience. If he wants to ask
>hey, my dude would live if i blocked right?
If he's unsure, I'm not gonna fucking lie to him then call a judge afterwards but I'd expect people playing at a game store to know the rules.
>>
>>60312896
>Idiotic illiterate man.

Please explain how complaining about DnD and then being unable to actually adapt to the new rules of the game you wanted to try out has anything to do with story or encounters. In depth. I want to know the exact route your tiny brain used to come up with your post in relation to mine.
>>
>>60309599
This is usually in response to some kind of dumb edgy snowflake shit a particular character does.
>>
File: 1526056515786.jpg (16 KB, 225x225)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>60309619
This is why whenever I start a game, I go out of my way to make sure every PC knows each other and has some kind of motivation for whatever loose goal I have in mind for the campaign. It shuts down the murderhobo players right away and they either leave or integrate into the party in a reasonable way.

This worked particularly well in the last game I ran, when I told the players that all their characters would be important people working for a kingdom, and during character creation I walked them through coming up with what their character does for the kingdom and why they do it. I only had one player who whined about it and who insisted I was "stifling his creativity" and "trampling on his ideas" but, as expected, his character was yet another experimental build to see how hard he could break D&D 5e. He left when I told him that if he wanted to multiclass, he would have to seek out an experienced member of that class to seek training during the downtime between adventures. Good riddance.
>>
>>60309988
Yeah this is my biggest pet peeve too.

Players not using their brain in favour of treating the rpg like a video game. They think the mechanics overwrite common sense.
>>
>>60309644

An enemy that runs away is an enemy that was defeated. The party should receive XP regardless.
>>
>>60309590
People doing something that IS GOING TO KILL THEM because "it's what my character would do."

Oh really, Shaun? Your anemic elven fag wizard is going to strut up to the Dragon and start making demands? One of these days I'm just going to let one of these moments reach their logical conclusion instead of fudging rolls and jumping through narrative hoops to pull this guy's ass out of the frying pan.

The worst part is when you have a part of five and two of the players work together to make the campaign all about them, all while pulling this shit. The even worse part than that is that we have game night at the apartment of one of them so I can't kick them to the curb without being more literally kicked to the curb myself.
>>
>>60309927
Are you Chris Perkins?
>>
File: 2000000% mad.gif (398 KB, 600x895)
398 KB
398 KB GIF
>>60309988
Christ I didn't expect this thread to piss me off so quick...
>>
>>60313747

So what IS the niche interaction?
>>
>>60314033
Anon, I'm dealing with retards who need to be constantly reminded every single time that they make a new character (which is frequently, because they show all the self preservation skills of a suicidal man) that in the system we're playing at the moment, a 15 in most of your primary statistics is a human average, a 20 is not only buyable, but it's not that far above average, and that no, it costs exactly 1 point to raise a stat from 24 to 25 as it does to go from 11 to 12.

You don't actually get XP for combat at all, something I've again told them at least 6 times. And their grasp of D&D rules isn't that great either. and had we been playing D&D, I'd have awarded them XP for fleeing foes. But listening is also one of their sadly deficient skills.
>>
File: 1525348728003.jpg (175 KB, 970x545)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>60312785
A) That is why i don't want to GM if that is what they want. Someone else can run
B) They aren't even doing combat in an interesting way, it is literally run up, circle and hit with stick regardless of character build. If that doesn't work it must be an unbalanced encounter right?
>>
>>60313670
>Everything else other RPGs do better, but here combat is king
Plenty of other games have much better combat systems.
>>
File: anger face.jpg (15 KB, 269x187)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>60309590
>player is a blatant powergamer in a party of non-powergamers
>keeps bragging IC and OOC about how powerful his character is
>>
>>60310638
Find a better party.
>>
>>60313620
...you. I don't like you.
>>
Honestly?

GMs that are too high strung or demanding. Who don't remember these are all just games.

Throwing autistic fits when someone is a bit late, or rushing through plot points to purposely punish the late player.

Not letting someone drift through an explanation of anything even we are adults with stressful and tiring lives. Sometimes a sword swing can just be a sword swing.

Getting upset at phones at the table, once again everyone has lives that don't just pause when dice begin rolling

Refusing to repeat things or restate things the PCs know out of stubbornness, sorry we don't remember the five word name of some Baron in your make believe land, we all came here from Work why not a friendly reminder if you do remember

Throwing a shit fit when someone forgets their rules, I don't care if it's our tenth session, Amy has three kids and has better things to remember than her dual wielding penalties, chill out

Forcing characters into situations and expecting them to act ' in character' rather than their real sensibilities. I don't care that we are lords, I don't want my character having serfs and I shouldn't be punished for essentially freeing slaves
>>
>>60312964
>>Players who make the exact same character over and over again
I've mostly found this to be a problem with people who are into freeform play, usually over IRC or play-by-post. It's especially bad with people who do those universe crossover games where anyone can play anything, because those games seem to attract people who play Security Blanket characters -- the ones they drag from game to game, year after year, and are unwilling to make new characters. I know someone who is like this, and when this type of thing comes up in discussion, he feebly tries to defend himself with shit like "but making new characters is haaaard" and "I can't think of anything original"

Pathetic-ass broken-head motherfucker with his broken imagination.
>>
>>60314090
>fudging rolls and jumping through narrative hoops to pull this guy's ass out of the frying pan.
This is why he does it.
>>
>>60310675
I do this a lot but I usually say "oh whoops" and take it in the ass like I deserve. Usually a result of me playing against control decks in a friendly game across the table and I'm too lazy to read all the damn cards.
>>
>>60313005
I like how you cleverly left 4e in there as an option. Begone, shill. 4e combat is just as boring as any other edition, just with nonce options to make you feel like you actually have control.
>>
>>60309927
>>60309906
I'm auschwitz mode and I agree with this. I also don't give fit guys shit for liking /tg/, that's fucking autistic. I hate fat-asses too. My group are either skinny or chubby but none of them are outright fat.
>>
>>60309590
Players.
>>
>>60315140
>once again everyone has lives that don't just pause when dice begin rolling
Speak for yourself.
>>
>>60315140
So basically this is ‘I don’t want to put in effort and you shouldn’t either’ and your justification is ‘muh home-life.’ Everyone has a life outside of the game, everybody works and everybody has family. You’re just lazy and I wouldn’t want you as a player.
>>
>>60315140
>I'm a lazy bitch who can't show up on time to commitments, pay attention, read rules, or roleplay

Honestly? Stick to something more your speed, like phonegames ;^)
>>
>>60315140
>reddit spacing
>"we are adults with tiring and stressful lives"
>translation: "I chose to marry a used-up roastie and work 60 hours a week to support her and my children and I think that I should make people who didn't choose to give up fun suffer for my choices."
>feeling like he is entitled to be texting or making calls during the game
>feeling like it is normal to have a life so jam-packed with shit that you can't even take 3 hours off
>"look at me I have a job"
>reinforcing that you have a job 4 or 5 times in your post
>despite the fact that everyone else has a job, too, and still manages to not be a rude shit like you, who uses the "I am an adult" defense to cover for it
I can just see the beard and glasses from here. You're not fooling anyone. Just kill yourself. No one wants you playing RPGs. Your entire group just feels sad for you, the complete lack of energy you have, the complete lack of passion. No one cares if Amy has three kids. If the cunt cannot put in the effort to remember a number that applies to her character, or, fuck, write it down for christ's sake if it's something she uses every goddamn round, then she is full-on retarded. You are a lazy, worthless wanker. RPGs aren't netflix. They aren't there to suck your dick after a long day at your job (guess what everyone deals with that nigger). Amy isn't special because she got knocked up 3 times by 3 different men and has to work overnights as a nurse to support them. You and her both drag down the game with your lazy behavior. Go fuck yourself. You chose the life you have, and you are entirely responsible for the consequences. If you can't handle it, quit. Oh wait, you can't quit, because you can't GM, and if you quit you will just go to another game that won't tolerate your lazy, entitled ass.

I hope you get cancer. Seriously.
>>
>>60315140
>Getting upset at phones at the table, once again everyone has lives that don't just pause when dice begin rolling
No. Keep you fucking phone in your goddamned pocket when were playing. They ring when someone calls so you don't have to constantly monitor it. There are other people here that don't want to wait for you to finish a level of angry birds before decide what to do and roll your dice.
>>
File: 1483798897265.jpg (42 KB, 550x711)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>60315140
Well baited sira, you have made a fine haul this day
>>
>>60316017
I masturbate to only this post now
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 245x245)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>Those players that want to role play
>>
>>60309590
Being gay, black, or Jewish.
>>
File: 1489597278768.jpg (86 KB, 600x506)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>60315140
You seem to think that real life obligations somehow justify complete indifference towards the game on the players' part.

>GMs that are too high demanding
It should be expected of players to take the game seriously. If the player's are not going take the game seriously enough, it makes the GM feel like he has completely wasted his time and effort making something the players don't care about at all.

>getting mad at players for being late and punishing them on the expense of plot points
The players and the GM have made an agreement on when and where to play. If the players fail to honor that agreement by arriving on time, it is justified for the GM to get upset, at least to a point. I do agree with you on your point about punishing the latecomers on the expense of advancing the plot. That's just stupid.

>not letting someone drift through an explanation
The explanation is there for a reason: to bring a sense of wonder, excitement, and verisimilitude to the game, thus helping the players get immersed in the game. Gaming is a form of escapism; if the players are completely unable to let go of their "stressful and tiring lives" for three hours at a time, I feel like RPGs aren't really for them.

>getting upset at phones at the table
If you cannot give 100% of your attention to the game, of if you are so bored by the game you have to pass time by fiddling around on your phone, you shouldn't be playing the game in the first place.

>refusing to repeat things or restate things the PCs know
Again, I sort of agree with you. However, I do expect my players to know at least the most commonly used name of an important NPC. They don't need to remember it, just as long as they take notes.

Continued in the next post.
>>
File: 1457901528576.jpg (874 KB, 1171x1600)
874 KB
874 KB JPG
>>60316606
My gratuitously long rant continues:

>getting angry when someone forgets the rules
If the GM makes an effort to remember the rules, the least the player can do is to do the same, at least when it comes to rules that relate to his own character. Needless to say, the player doesn't need to know how the intricacies of spellcasting work if he's playing a martial.

>forcing players into situations and expecting them to act "in character" rather than their real sensibilities
That is literally the definition of roleplaying. As a GM, I expect the players to act the way their characters would act, not the way they themselves act. That is, unless the players are literally playing a carbon copy of their real life personas. If player's character has lived their whole life in a society that doesn't view slavery or serfdom in a negative light, why would the character? If a player doesn't want the GM to assume his character would act a certain way in a certain situation, even if it goes against his real life values, he should just make character that reflects his personal views better.

tl.dr. If your life is so damned stressful that you can't take gaming seriously and immerse yourself in the game world, maybe you should just stop gaming all together or move on to something like TCGs.

Also, you should read the OP a bit more carefully next time. This is a thread for player-related pet peeves, not GM-related.

>inb4 Reddit spacing
>>
>>60309644
I think your doing xp wrong.
>>
>>60312693
Don't bring real life into an RPG. In real life their are no paladins with holy powers.
>>
>>60316756
This, xp is per encounter. Not how many things you kill.
>>
>>60314650
Fucking thiiiiiiis.
Have a little social awareness. If the other players are playing characters who are mechanically average or sub par, reign yourself in. No one is impressed you were able to make the biggest numbers.
>>
>>60312896
No way. You can't blame one bad player on the GM.
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 818x503)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>60314650
>doesn’t pull his weight in the party
>w-we’ll it’s because I-I’m not a power gamer
>>
>>60313262
That is just not true. I am guess you have never played a ttrpg with low to no combat.
>>
>>60309590
A player whose character actively antagonizes the party.

The most common example is the dick ass thief who steals from part members. Which leads to the question why hasn't my character kicked the shit out of his and threatened to behead him if he sees him again? Well because than the other guy wouldn't be playing with us. At least with an apathetic murder hobo they aren't actively malignant "sure we aren't friends but he hasn't caused me any harm and he is good with a sword."
>>
>>60316793
>somebody should gimp himself because the other “””people””” are not good at the game.
>>
>>60309988
God damn this is one of the worst things, for sure. People who can't describe what they want to do, unless it's something VERY simple such as attacking or taking something.

Bad roleplayers in general just make me so mad in this hobby. And by bad I don't exactly mean someone who is "that guy" and roleplays a chaotic stupid retard. I mean those people who are just completely incapable of roleplay.
Why in the world are you playing a ROLEPLAYING GAME if you are unable to roleplay? Just do something, even if it's cringy or stupid. Stop playing a fucking robot who can only attack people and follow the party around! This isn't a video game.
>>
>>60316862
Role playing refers to the role you play in combat. Not how fabulous you can act out your legalos faggy elf fantasies.
>>
>>60315140
>player related pet peeves
>talks about GMs
good bait.
>>
>>60315140
I can stand when people forget basic things, like the point of a thread. Let's bitch about bad players.

Proceeds to bitch about GM.
>>
Players that refer to the DM as GM
>>
>>60316882
>Role playing refers to the role you play in combat
Can you at least try?
>>
>>60317005
GM is the correct term.
Unless you're playing dnd in which case: Holy fuck what are you doing? Jesus Christ! Pork Sandwich!
>>
>>60312896
Replying to >>60309671
I'd agree with that if it wasn't for the fact the other 4 players at the table don't do that shit and the guy who does that does it every game he is in.
>>
>>60314301
The blocker has Protection from Red, Malignus is a Red creature and normally the damage it deals would be prevented but Malignus has an ability that prevents its damage from being prevented.
So the blocker with protection still dies and with Trample the damage that exceeded the blocker's toughness is still dealt to the opposing player.
>>
>>60312964
>Players who never try anything in combat other than "I attack"

As a player I have sometimes been forced into this because of DMs who shut down all attempts to do anything other than "move, stab/shoot, pass turn"

Maybe my hasted DEX 26 character wants to do some cool acrobatic shit to move around the field. Maybe my enlarged, STR 30, Muleback corded barbarian wants to pick a motherfucker up and speedball him as far away as possible. Or pull up a tree and show the monk the secret Kung Fu technique "McGuire swings for the bleachers"
Maybe my asmodean advocate, literally designed to be THE party face wants to use profession (barrister) to make the bad guys not want to kill him or attack other people because I'm a friend who'd NEVER lie to them
>>
>>60312964
yeah brendon
>>
File: reaction_img (59).jpg (165 KB, 1000x1000)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>60316831
>reading comprehension
>>
>>60317412
Based on the situations you described I’d straight up allow you to roll for that shit because it seems viable. Why wouldn’t your gm?
>>
>>60313050
>first time DM
>10 people
trail by fire
>>
File: 1491936579930.jpg (65 KB, 554x476)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>60309949
>I don't expect my players to necessarily say word for word what their character says but I do expect them to present a line of reasoning or argument as different arguments will naturally be more likely to succeed than others depending on who they're dealing with.

Part of the persuasion skill is knowing what arguments will be likely to persuade the target to begin with. I feel like punishing a player for not knowing what their character would say in a situation amounts to a kind of reverse-metagaming where the character suffers because the player themselves is not as charismatic.
>>
Does read the fucking rule books.

Half assets their character sheet.

Is consistently late.

Fuck you Connor
>>
>>60317692
Because rules dictate the extent of some actions. In the case of the acrobatics. The specific case was a confined alley. I wanted to running leap 10 feet up along the wall spring off it and land on the other side of the guy we were fighting because my other melee party members were hogging the melee spots. Got told no basically because a wall isn't a proper platform to jump from to get a little extra distance. Totally ignoring the fact I have a +36 in acrobatics.

In the case of the barbarian I was told that not how throwing works, despite the fact I went full autistic and figured out if it was within physical possibility the night before. I knew what I wanted to do I just wanted to see if I could. Ended up figuring out the weight comparison of a baseball pitcher throwing a baseball scaled up to a big angry barbarian throwing a normal dude. Turns out despite the dude being >1% my carry weight, which is actually lower than an average baseball pitcher with a ball rules state I cannot throw a person almost 70mph so I was told no. As for the tree again told "trees are hard to remove from the ground"

Advocate? "Your in combat, they know your an enemy" even though I had not drawn a weapon, not given them cause to believe I was hostile, before combat broke out had tried to profession (barrister) a peaceful solution. Nothing I said even mattered.

As a player who likes to use non conventional means to do more than "I move then stab" it gets rough when a DM won't bend or compromise for even a little rule of cool
>>
>>60317869
This isn't a zero sum game, rocket science, international diplomacy, or danny devito trying to seduce a supermodel.

Players will likely understand a situation similarly as the GM (assuming they've done a good job of presenting the situation) and thus can propose ideas and arguments that have a reasonable chance of success regardless of their personal charisma or lack thereof.
>>
>>60316756
>>60316778
I'm not doing XP per kill. I'm not even doing XP for combat. My players are complaining for "not doing it the way D&D does" going from a misunderstanding of the D&D rules. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on this.
>>
>>60318002
This.
Gimme something that can be worked with. It need not be detailed, but let me know the line of reasoning you would take.
>>
>>60313050
Your friend is prostituting you and you're letting him

what the actual fuck are you doing?
>>
>>60318002
>This isn't a zero sum game, rocket science, international diplomacy, or danny devito trying to seduce a supermodel.

But it could be a game of riddles, impersonating a magitech engineer, diplomacy between warring towns, or a peasant trying to seduce a noble princess.

In any of these, a character with high charisma who actually lives in the setting would be able to intuit what actions would bring success much more than a player would. It's one of the affordances given for the sake of a game.
>>
>>60316849
Go play a vidya or something then.
>>
>>60317875
I have a ThatGuy like that at my tables. Fucker won't plan a character until the night before the game. Ends up making some boring stereotype for the class he chose. Won't print off a sheet until the morning of the game. Won't even write the character down until he is AT the table. I suspect part of why he does that is so he can conveniently have exactly an item for that very specific situation because he totally bought that ahead of time. Ended up changing my precampaign work to
>Month before game character concept should be completed and hold session zero to explain starting point, setting and answer questions. Character needs to be completed here including stats, starting equipment, and rough background. Character sheets are turned in to me after session zero anf a sit-down can be requested if any changes need to be made to them before campaign start.

Mostly to prevent the previously mentioned spending gold during session one to conveniently own whatever item they happen to need at that time.

>Two weeks before first session a completed backstory needs to be turned in. Small bonuses given to players who meet the deadline. They don't need to be multi page stories, but something to make a character a bit more than just a piece of paper with number on it.

Given I still sometimes provide small bonuses or allow the occasional untrained knowledge roll if a PC has a backstory that makes them familiar with a particular subject or task having a backstory is important. I also use this step to try and get my players somewhat invested in their character to hopefully curb the murderhobo munchkin behavior in favor of actually fucking roleplaying. The bonus is usually some small backstory fitting boon for some added character flavor or utility.

>Week of session one I give one final chance to make any changes and once session one starts your character is finalized for campaign.
>>
File: vlad the implyer.jpg (134 KB, 960x960)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>60318262
Certainly such characters might be far more charismatic, persuasive, and intuitive.

Fortunately for you, you're not dealing with them or their peers, you're dealing with the GM who lives and breathes in the same world as you do and filters everything you say so you can play Conan or Casanova with equal ease.
>>
>>60318262
Yeah, but then you have the power gamer who dumps his mental skills and abilities scores and then tries to roleplay his dumb or boorish character with no social skill as smart as a wizard or eloquent as a noble. At some point character design choices need to be considered.
>>
>>60318262
That's why I ask not for the words used verbatim, but the line of reasoning that the player wants to take, and I use the roll to determine how effectively the pc uses it.
When it comes to puzzles and such, rolls based on intuition and intelligence offer hints, clues, and leaps of logic.
Anon, it really isn't as difficult as you are trying to make it seem.
>>
>>60314650
>player keeps bragging OOC about how cool and awesome his character is
>isn't even a power-gamer, just wants someone else to acknowledge how cool and awesome his character is
>>
>>60318360
As a DM I try not to roleplay out a PCs actions between me having a million NPCs to roleplay, a story to tell, and the PCs are a players responsibility, but I will go out of my way to describe a PVs actions for them as a result of a roll if it becomes glaringly obvious the player is making a trend of Doing shit like his CHA 7 barbarian who rolled a 2 on diplomacy trying to use RP as a way to make his shit roll sound better than it was.
>>
>>60318398
>>60318488
That's the moment you pull the guy aside and tell him to knock it off.
It's also why I have never made a pc with less than say, 12 charisma, I speak too well out of habit for my own good.
The worst was a 8 cha elf archer that wasn't good at speaking, but was intelligent enough to make bants at EVERYONE, especially the lesser elf in the party.
Swear to god, I rip on the guy so much, I feel bad, and the human has it worse. I smoke some weed and the flow of eloquent insults and scorn doesn't stop, I had to apologize to the DM one day for it.
>>
>>60315140
You were really close to getting me, but you played too strong on that lost point. Still, pretty good.
>>
>>60318463
Have a ThatGuy like that. On a campaign with 7 players. Everyone made decent characters. ThatGuy made a 5'3" "Titan" of a dwarf, built like a brick shithouse, long luxurious beard wearing monk robes, has some backstory about how he is some badass Kung Fu prodigy who went out searching for good fights.

Session two tables best roleplayer playing a senile af elf wizard went looking for a bath. Ended up using that as grounds for some comedy as he ripped apart three rooms and used a training room to make sauna.

Same session our dwarf rogue trapmaker who had spent a bunch of starting money on blackpowder made a bomb that one shotted the sessions big baddie by dealing out max damage (like 5d6) and nearly killing two other enemies in the process

Also had our sorcerer release the worlds friendliest vampire after it despite the party all not wanting to mess with it. This has lead to much of the great out of combat moments of the campaign the past two sessions.

Monk didn't do shit that session other than get paralyzed by a ghoul twice, some minor roleplay, drink some magic fey rum that made him trip balls and fall unconscious after one round.

Post session we're all talking having a laugh over the wizard's shenanigans. Still in awe of the ridiculous blackpowder bomb kill. Monk chimes up "well I was really proud of what I did this session". Everyone stopped, looked at him, and asked what exactly he did that was worthy of retelling.
>>
>>60317972
That’s not even being to strict on the rules or anything like that. He’s just a bad gm.
>>
>>60318598
I'm right there with you. DEX and CHA are my wheelhouse and I tend to favor those abilities scores due to my playstyle, but I am also a decent enough roleplayer that I can make a character terrible at a social skill, roll it anyways, and even if I do good describe it in a way fitting to my limitation. Example
>Rolled a fighter. CHA 9, INT 8 other stats decent. Believes he is awesome at everything he does. Definitely isn't.
>Situation came up to get help gaining access to some storehouse where current baddie has been frequenting.
>Landlord of the building won't talk to us decide to talk to his assistant
>smoking got half elf woman.
>I know what to do.
>Bard tries to argue how I will only screw it up.
>Roll diplomacy to persuade the assistant to help. Shit bonus. Rolled good. Got a 12.
>Play it as trying to be charming and eloquent. Describe it as pic related basically. Not knowing how to do the charming stuff the bard does, bit seen it enough to figure it has to work and go out of my way to describe how poor of a job I'm doing mimicking his actions.
>Somehow actually fucking works
>Get told later it was because DM enjoyed that moment too much to not let it have some success
>>
>>60318816
I entirely agree with you. I'm just glad not every DM I play with is that bad.
>>
>>60319033
Fixed. Forgot image
>>
>>60309599
Sort of this. Some people spout this. The good players actually explain WHY it is something their character would do, for better or worse.

Bad Player:
"I stole the royal jewels because I like shiney things, and I'm a kleptomaniac. It's what my PC would do."

Good Player:
"I grabbed you and initiated PC combat because my character has spent the entire campaign watching your character committing heinous acts, and you've crossed a line by stealing the royal jewels not only on principle, but because it poses a serious threat to our group's goal of working with the king stop [evil antagonist]. At this point he figures that you've shown your true colors and must be stopped, or you've let the greed get the better of you and must be brought back to reason."
>>
>>60309590
Entitled players

This one guy insists on playing "beautiful" female characters who must be special snowflakes or he loses his shit
Likes to tell the group that they'd be fucked without his character because of x feature of his character. Loses his shit every time one of the other players figure out a way that the party could do without them. Tries to rules lawyer every situation to his benefit. Gets petty as shit whenever he doesn't get what he wants or feels even remotely slighted
>>
>>60319133
Also, good PVP and interparty tension can be awesome. In one of my favorite campaigns, some of the most tense moments involved the party nearly going for the throat at each other as we got involved in the near-apocalypse and high politics. At one point almost the entire party was in a multidirectional mexican standoff with each other, with my PC holding a pistol to the head of another PC's sleeping child, bows drawn and pointed, bolts of fire ready to fly, spears drawn against throats. Tense standoff that had to do with whether or not we were going to attempt to take down another character (who was also a giant fucking dragon) who we disagreed with morally but needed for their resources and strength.

Most of it was a bluff made to impress upon each other that we were willing to fight to achieve what we thought was the correct course of action, but it could've gotten really bloody really fast. Awesome, tense roleplay.
>>
>>60314358

Ah I misunderstood, my apologies Anon.
>>
>>60309590
caster players asking to be alchemists or enchanters a la Skyrim ("can I capture it's soul??") when 5e has garbage crafting rules anyway. no one wants to wait an in-game decade for you to craft a legendary +3 sword with whatever bullshit added on. And there are no real alchemy rules either, this isn't Witcher, you don't need to cut off animal tongues and tan dragon hides..
>>
>>60319183
Why is "beautiful" in quotes?
>>
File: garbage.jpg (71 KB, 500x574)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>party makes characters that are completely shit at combat and average at non-combat
>"wtf, anon, why are you such a powergamer"
>mfw I just picked a psyker and not even trying to min-max
>mfw literally gimping my character to be even remotely at the level of the group
>never in danger of anything
>>
>>60315140
>Who don't remember these are all just games.
We do. We also put in a ton of work to make a decent game for everyone. We do that in addition to our normal lives which include work and family. Next.

>Throwing autistic fits when someone is a bit late
Only when it becomes a recurring trend without the courtesy of a text or call. Next.

>Getting upset at phones at the table
Phone at table is not an issue. Giving your phone your full attention then halting the game to bring you back up to speed is an issue.especially when, again, it is a recurring trend. Next.

>Refusing to repeat things or restate things the PCs know out of stubbornness
And in another edition of shit that doesn't happen. Even if by some chance it does fun thing about pennand pad games is you have paper. Write on it. Next.

>Throwing a shit fit when someone forgets their rules, I don't care if it's our tenth session, Amy has three kids and has better things to remember than her dual wielding penalties, chill out
If you use it every session write it down. Next.

>Forcing characters into situations and expecting them to act ' in character' rather than their real sensibilities
Then what the fuck are you doing playing ROLE PLAYING GAMES.

Seems your problem is you're a shit player whining about being on the receiving end of more than a few talks with your DM about table manners. Maybe address your bad habits and fix them before whining about it.
>>
>>60319133
My situation was:
>heretek blew our cover, gets captured, tortured, revealed our identities to the big bad
>he taunts us on our own goddamn comm channel
>we go all in, assault his fortress
>I personally manage to rescue the guy
>afterwards, I demand he repent his fuckups and devote himself to the people who risked their lives needlessly for his sake, or else
>he refuses, starts babbling about how he was justified
>choke him out
>turn him over to the admech myself
>>
File: 1527714219172.png (344 KB, 1024x597)
344 KB
344 KB PNG
>>60309590
>>Player thats a walking contradiction
>>Won't play games that don't have beast races
>>Wants the DM to twist core mechanics to suit there "fun" idea
>> LoL XD humor playstyles

I can forgive their character backgrounds but sometimes I am just wondering if they know that they are making Mary Sue character.
>>
>>60319183
It should be said. You never really know the extent of how bad your ThatGuy is until you begin scrolling through theads like this and see all the bullshit he does.

While my ThatGuy will make make and female characters his females are always his virgin idea of what women are like instead of actual people. And all of his characters male or female are Mary sue snowflakes with backstories that put lvl 20 characters to shame. Then comes the "come on I rolled a [number].HOW DID THAT FAIL?!" every time he doesn't pass a check. If it isn't crying about failed rolls I suspect he just makes numbers up given he uses difficult to read dice and has entered the realm of statistic impossibility for how many 15+ he has rolled in my campaign so far

>>60319292
I'd assume because it is a trend with every character ThatGuy makes.
>>
>>60309590
>I'm not that overpowered, I could be a whole lot worse.
>>
>>60319335
>Then what the fuck are you doing playing ROLE PLAYING GAMES.
Drinking beer and eating pizza with bros while moving miniatures around on the table top and beating the big bass head in. Not there to listen to you act out how many dicks your elf sucked
>>
>>60319608
>>
>>60315140
People like you are the reason MMOs were ruined.
>>
>>60319567
t. multiclassed 4 times because it would be "in character"
>>
>>60319660
People can and do learn more than one martial art irl, genius
>>
File: So Close.webm (322 KB, 720x404)
322 KB
322 KB WEBM
>>60319477
I assumed it was some neckbeard being triggered over the idea that a woman could realistically be attractive, and that players would want to play as attractive people.
>>
>>60319720
Sure, but they don't complain when they get btfo by a dude who mastered one. Most of them at least.
Why the hell do I have to take people, who multiclassed fighter/barbarian/rogue, seriously, when all they do is complain about how overpowered my fucking paladin looks when compared to them? Shut the fuck up and be pathetic in the corner.
>>
>>60312714
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>60309644
I’m pretty sure it says in the 5th ed Manuel that the players just have to “defeat” the encounter which the book defines as killing, persuading or otherwise neutralizing the threat. If u wanna do reduced Xp from not killing enemys thats fine it’s your game but you are objectively fucking over your players.
>>
>>60309644
This is biology 101. If an organism has a reward for performing action 1, and no reward for performing action 2, the organism will always choose action 1.

translation: reward your players with exp or something else for resolving conflicts with non-violent means
>>
>"leader" always wants to split the party
>dm lets out a strong sigh every time
>>
>>60309671
I’ve had the same issue but with one of my players trying to play dnd and run a discord sever at the same time I mean I get it if it’s not your turn it can be boring to wait a whole 4 minutes for me to resolve the other players and enemy turns but your sever won’t explode if your gone for 4 hours playing dnd.
>>
>>60319728
There is that too. Guess it depends on the player. I play as many ugly characters as I do beautiful ones so to me it stands out whenever a player makes only good looking PCs
>>
>>60317363
Thanks for the explanation, Yugi
>>
>>60319970
You think too much about it. Most players do that simply because nobody likes ugly people.
>>
>>60319949
Combat is still fun on other people's turns. Ttrpgs are a group game and part of that is sharing the spotlight with the other players. Why ruin another players epic moment by implying what they are doing is so boring or unworthy of your attention that whatever you are doing on your phone takes priority. It's just rude.

To point out. I do agree with the no harm being gone a few hours, I simply feel if a player is so self centered and disrespectful to the other players when it's their turn then that person should find a different game to play
>>
>>60320092
>think too much about it.
I do suffer from overthinking shit. Honestly can't help it.
>>
File: 1517457979469.jpg (41 KB, 566x433)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>60320119
I have noticed a lot of people make RPGs all about themselves and treat the others players as tools or glorified NPCs.
Instead of being a story about a group of adventurers it is the story of Grodak the barbarian and any scene without Grodak is time to tune out.
>>
>>60320183
Other payers are just tools and glorified npcs tho
>>
>>60309988
> I intimidate the guard
"Okay, what are you doing to intimidate him?"
> Rolling intimidate, right?

How is this not a fair argument. Why even have social skills if you're going to force me to come up with a super unique line of dialog or edgy action I take every time I want to intimidate someone? There's a reaosn i took the Intimidate skill and I don't want to be assed to make cringy dialog anytime I want to tell a mook to get out of our way.

At the very least, let me know ahead of time that we won't need to invest in social skills.
>>
>>60320233
Bait. But I’ll respond anyway.

If you want to do well in social encounters then you need to act it AND get a roll good enough to succeed. That’s it. No compromise. Fuck off.
Why do you even play roleplaying games? Just play skyrim you retard.
>>
File: image.jpg (377 KB, 582x858)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>60320360
>you have to act out every single game mechanic
>>
>>60320233
>I can't even give the GM a basic outline of what I am doing
Intimidate can mean a lot of things.
We don't want a novel but you are expected to say what you are trying to get across as it can change what happens.
>>
>>60320415
Then basic outline is I intimidate him, Jesus fuck you autist theater rejects
>>
>>60320360
> then you need to act it AND get a roll good enough to succeed. That’s it. No compromise. Fuck off.

It wasn't bait. You completely fialed to answer the question. YOU want people to perform for you and role well. That's fine, I'd just never take social skills or play with a faggy DM who can't see how shitty this system is. And what happens if I put a good performance, but roll poorly? Might as well not bother with the act, because the dice are going to decide anyway.

>hurrdurr go play skrim

Maybe I enjoy roeplaying because I can be far more heroic and creative in combat. I'm only limited by my imagination and not the game engine.
>>
>>60320415

My basic outline is that I intimidate the meek guard because I'm an intimidating dude according to my character sheet.
>>
>>60320360
>You put points into social skills and rolled a natural 20
>But you're a quiet and shy person, so your character fails

Are you going to penalize me in To Hit rolls because I don't actually know how to swordfight either, faggot?
>>
>>60320360
Why don’t YOU just go “””play””” a LARP instead?
>>
>>60309906
>>60309927
thank god I play with my normie friends and dont have to deal with LGS /tg/ grognards
>>
>>60312785
>>60313005

this attitude baffles me. How could anyone find the combat more fun than the the actual role-playing and world interaction?
>>
>>60320564
We could turn the question right back on you. How can you find talking with some barkeep more fun that fighting a dragon?
>>
>>60320564
Why do you think roleplaying ends as soon as combat begins?
>>
>>60320564
If I wanted to role play I’d join the local theater or go larp around the forest instead of playing a game with clearly defined game mechanics with the bros
>>
>>60320564
A tense battle full of near-miss rolls against a hated opponent can be an exceedingly fun experience. Even when the dice betray you.

Not every combat session is against mooks.
>>
File: 1497936090822.jpg (39 KB, 374x347)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>60320447
>>60320473
Do you pull a sword on him?
Give him a mean look?
Stand there looking scary?
Why is it too much to ask for a one line action?
>>
>>60320447
>>60320668
>Intimidate
>Frighten or overawe someone

You yell BOO at the guard. He jumps. Then he goes back to guarding and refuses to let you pass. You sure frightened him for a moment! Good job!

Rather than, say, drawing a sword threatening to kill him, stand there staring at him imposingly, or just walk past, glaring at him as if daring him to stop you.

All three are different ways to intimidate someone, but some would also be, technically, threatening a guard.
>>
>>60320668
Of the outcome is the same, ie the dice roll says I intimidate them, it’s literally does not matter.
>>
>>60320696
Then why roll for any social interaction at all if I have to act it out well. just turn this into a free form pageant without any game mechanics
>>
>>60309590
Dumbfuck names that don't fit the setting. Either being a player or game runner, either way.
>>
>>60320668
What I say doens't matter because the dice roll is going to decide anyway. I could be fucking Shakespeare and still roll a 1.
>>
>>60320715
If you draw on the guy a failed roll could lead to him running or calling for reinforcements while the others could just lead to him ignoring you.
>>
>>60320738
Exactly. No need for numeric social skills in tabletops games for the most part.
>>
>>60320758
That’s what the dice roll is for nigger.
>>
>>60320738
You don't have to act it out.

You just have to say what you're doing.

I mean, when you say 'I attack', there's always the implication of what weapon you're using, and who you're attacking, right? You're not just clubbing someone over the head with your helmet, or shoving at the goblin blindly.

Skill checks don't have those same automatic implications- you just have to say what your goal is. Intimidate the guard into letting you past by glaring at him is usually enough.
>>
>>60320768
Why roll for combat then, just act it out well l. Me vs you representing the npc.
>>
>>60320790
> there's always the implication of what weapon you're using, and who you're attacking, right?
Oh ok then. I intimidate(my “weapon” in this instance) the guard(who I am “attacking”)
Here’s my roll GM, did I pass?
>>
File: 1520376135813.png (724 KB, 1028x1028)
724 KB
724 KB PNG
>>60309619
Your job as the GM to give a brief synopsis of the campaign so they can make a character that can fit with it. If the GM can't write a small motivational reason for a character to be in your campaign, literally go read a fiction book or two. It's too easy to write in characters with any kind of background.
>>
>>60320833
Intimidate isn't a weapon. In this metaphor, it's your base attack bonus.
>>
>>60320758
You're being trolled. Obviously this guy understands you can't actually just sit at a table and dictate what your character does in a totally detached way without ever trying to roleplay. That's so unfun.
>>
>>60320790
Fine, but don't get pissy with me because all I ever say is "i glare at him". I'm not interested in watching every player spill his spaghetti anytime they use a social skill.
>>
>>60320848
It’s a skill, one which I am choosing to use. It’s not some abstract literary concept. It’s a skill with an attached game mechanic, resolved with a roll.
>>
>>60320867
Honestly, glaring's all you need.

good job, anon, that's how you use a skill. Now /tg/ never has to have that argument again.
>>
>>60320863
Unfun to you faggot. How come were not giving spell-casting penalties to the wizard because he isn't saying his spell out loud at the table? We gonna give To hit penalties to the fighter because they guy playing him ins't a expert swordmaster?
>>
File: wo0jack 5.jpg (7 KB, 211x239)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>60320715
>>60320622
>>60320504
>>60320473
>>60320415

.HURRR WHAT YOU MEAN IM EXPECTED TO ROLE-PLAY IN A ROLE-PLAYING GAME

Jesus Christ, imagine having to put up with these kind of autistic sperg players who are so lazy they cant even be assed to come up with basic dialogue, instead choosing to sit like a glom rolling dice , likely due to butthurt from no social skills and a non-existent personality. The absolute fucking state of /tg/.
>>/v/ is that way if you enjoy sitting pushing buttons like a turd
>>
>>60320927
Imagine you made a fighter. And everytime you attacked the DM asked
>'What technique are using? Descirbe your stance and grip on the sword or you automatically fail this roll.Mmake sure to be creative every time you swing, we want this to be FUN!"

Same fucking thing with skills. Honestly, I'm willing to say "I glare at him/brandish a weapon" but I shouldn't have to do this. Why am I being punished for not having the bets way with words? And also, why should it matter? If I fail the role, my little description was for nothing.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 300x300)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>60320927
>I’m sorry your spell failed because you didn’t chant ala cazam alia bob and throw this salt, representing your material components, around
>uh like how exactly did you swing your sword was it in a high guard downswing arc or a piercing stab like I mean each one could lead to different results
>oh and don’t forget to swing this wooden sword around to demonstrate for us!
>>
>>60320984
>one of my old groups would legitimately describe every combat action
>and diplomatic actions
I never knew that was so out of place until I started lurking /tg/.
>>
>>60321028
Nothing worng with playing that way anon, if your group enjoys it. in that setting I just wouldn't take social skills because I am ass with words. My combat would be difficult too,but I can make a monk or something and keep trying t do flips and run up walls for easy creativity.
>>
>>60320897
You're either retarded or extremely insecure and don't want to improv what your character says because you think your friends will finally discover you're an idiot
>>
>>60321028
I wish I knew good players.
>>
File: 74754753.jpg (31 KB, 600x405)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>60321083
>this is what theater major dropouts actually believe
>>
File: 1524542888243.png (60 KB, 329x406)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
Just ignore him.
>>
File: 14659832.jpg (91 KB, 662x660)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>60317869
If you can't present a basic line of reasoning why your character should be able to persuade X npc of X thing then you don't get to fucking roll.
>>
>>60319900
see>>60318049

>>60319919
I do. And they don't always go for the ultraviolence. The problem is that they simultaneously complain about D&D, and then complain when something in another system is different from D&D. And they don't really know the rules of D&D all that well either, for reasons that I believe are due to general stupidity.
>>
>>60321060
You know, not many people are smooth talkers. I used to act in theater, and as the GM I'd work with any player to improve a statement or a conversation. And I'd also point out possibilities for combat. Of course I was a teenager and I didn't know anything real, but I kind of had the gist of it. But if I were your GM, I'd absolutely give you tips and pointers for social skills. But I only like to run rules-light homebrew settings, and I understand exactly why those have a bad reputation.
>>
>>60321156
The basic line of reasoning is that the persuade skill on my character sheet says I’m a pretty persuasive individual you mog
>>
>>60309949
>That one overweight autistic player who always went bard only double proficencied persuasion/intimidate
>I persuade the Giant King not to kill us
>What do you say?
>*Rolls dice*
>27

I could forgive 1 character but this was every character over 3 campaigns.
>>
>>60321202
It doesn’t matter. if the 27 passes, it passes.
>>
>>60321198
and my basic line of reasoning is fucking say something logical before you get to roll cunt

Autistic socially inept people wanting to powerfantasy their charismatic panty dropping is cringe worthy
>>
>>60321015
Are you seriously implying that tedious needlessly complicated combat details are the same as

>I tell the guard to get out of the way or else!

Wow, that was hard. Believe it or not, you are expected to role-play in a role-playing game, which means applying basic social skills. If you want to play a combat focused game like that, go ahead! And sure, its a weakness of whatever system that its a dice roll that determines the outcome, but if you seriously think that sitting on your ass, rolling a die, and going "well the dice says x therefore y" you maybe should play something else, because guys like
>>60321095
Why exactly are you playing an rpg such as dnd if to mock the people that actually want to role-play and can interact well with npcs? Honestly, parroting the same thing over and over again combined with your ebin reaction face memes, you sound like an insecure idiot
>>
>>60321238
>The Giant King wonders aloud why you've taken a small dice out and started playing with it in front of him
>He begins motioning for the guards
>Anything you'd like to do before you're thrown in the Giant Kings prison?
>>
>>60321251
I don’t have to say shit. It’s a game mechanic not the grand theater. I either persuade them or I don’t depending on the outcome of a dice roll.
>>
>>60321251
>>60321300
Isn't the solution, then, to use different systems and never play together?
>>
>>60321300
>I roll 27
>Sorry anon the DC was 35 since you just tried to hypnotize him with your eyes without using words
>B-but I can't roll that high
>Guess you better try something else next time
>>
>>60321298
>I’m going to ignore basic game mechanics because I’m an artist sperg who thinks he’s producing a play for the metropolitan theatre
K gotch, no need to take social skills, I just attack them instead.
>>
File: 1521550132234.png (207 KB, 450x416)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>60321300
What are you trying to persuade them to do you double nigger?
You have to say that or nobody knows what in the fuck you are trying to do
>>
>>60321300
Not him, but stop it with the bullshit game mechanic use. The "Game Mechanics" identify a GM or some similar person to arbitrate these kinds of glossed over do a whole lot in one roll interactions.

I bet you'd be howling murder if you had this following interaction.

>I want to kill the storm giant. I rolled a 19, and I'm a high level fighter. I killed it, what do I get?

Because you don't break all of a combat down to a single roll without any declaration of what moves you're making in order to defeat the monster. But apparently a social interaction can be done in that way, despite a grand total of zero systems laying such a situation out.
>>
>>60321341
Not even how the persuade skill operates
>Persuasion. When you attempt to influence someone or a group of people with tact, social graces, or good nature
>>
>>60321343
You can't meaningfully commit to a combat without being able to describe at least a very basic set of tactics; what special abilities you'll use, if any, how you're positioning your character relative to adversaries, what weapon or weapons you'll use, etc. Why are you so unable to come up with a basic outline of what you're trying to persuade someone to do and what tack you're taking but you can presumably articulate a battle plan?
>>
File: 1474871089137.gif (1.27 MB, 296x160)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB GIF
>>60321343
>You launch yourself at the Giant King screaming murder as your short dagger fails to penetrate his magically enchanted plate
>With grim determination in his eyes he unsheathes Autisms Bane his mighty double bladed axe ensorcelled with millennia of enchantment
>Autisms Bane deals 5d12+20 dmg slicing your body in half
>As the bloody chunks of your body are cleaned up he turns to his Queen
>"If only the human had said something there could have been peace between our people"
>"Marshall the fleet General we sail at first light"
>>
>>60312693

The games are also realities where people can be raised from the dead and life threatening wounds healed with a single potion or spell. Everybody would take more risks. If a broken arm healed in 3 seconds rather thaN 3 months.
>>
>>60320233
> "I want to tell a mook to get out of our way"

you just did that you stupid faggot
>>
File: 1520786910024.png (275 KB, 493x750)
275 KB
275 KB PNG
>>60321454
Lel
>>
File: dda.jpg (27 KB, 600x600)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>60321411
>>60321454
>>60321483
>>60321359

Just fucking LOL @ these butthurt triggered theatre art students. The dice says I won so thats that, fuck that gay pretending shit lol. What a bunch of faggots, back to liberal arts with you. Combat mechanics are not detailed like that therefore neither are social things, deal with it.
>>
File: Pokerg01_39.jpg (28 KB, 245x332)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>60321454
>>
>>60321566
actually the dice doesn't the DM does, looks like you failed your "not a stupid faggot" check
>>
>>60321566
>Combat mechanics are not detailed like that therefore neither are social things, deal with it.
But they are you fucking retard. In every single role playing game with combat mechanics, combat entails a huge number of tactical decisions which can make or break success. Good plans will make you more likely to win, bad plans will make you more likely to lose. Similarly, a good line of argument will make you more likely to succeed at your persuasion, and a bad one will make it harder.

What's it like being as stupid as you are?
>>
>>60321566
Alright, but if you don't put any effort into describing the game you're playing, how do you know it's still a game? It sounds more like a bunch of cut scenes to me.
>>
>>60317774

First campaign I ran had 20 players. Went about as well as you'd expect.
>>
>>60309793
God. especially when it's the DM/GM who does it and does it 1 1/2 hours before game time after setting the time repeatedly for the past 2 weeks
>>
>>60313747
>not declaring DAGA, DAMEJI WA UKETEMORAU like a yugioh character
It even works here, because he does still take the damage
>>
File: 515.gif (1022 KB, 640x480)
1022 KB
1022 KB GIF
>>60321606
>>60321664
>>60321682

OH so you have to perfectly describe how you swing your weapons where, how you cast a spell. OH WAIT YOU DONT!!! Fuck off special snowflakes i don't have to say any kind of dialogue. It doesn't matter WHAT i say if the dice fails, the mechanics speak for themselves. Go back to theater school desu
>>
File: bait khorne.jpg (169 KB, 1016x970)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>60321767
>>
File: image.jpg (1.17 MB, 1125x2436)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>60321664
It literally is. Spelled out in the srd. Nowhere does it say I have to give some sort of acting performance.
>>
>>60321767
You didn't answer me. How do you know it's still a game if there isn't any playing? Is it a gambling game now that the only specifics are with dice and numbers?
>>
File: 1505849910604.png (111 KB, 239x312)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>60321767
>Relying on the dice for anything outside combat

I see you're still an amateur.

I frequently have multiple sessions where no dice are rolled.
>>
>>60312296

>inna group
>5-6 of us a session
>have to constantly present the party with ideas or take the initiative
>That Guy with Human Fighter constantly shit talking and shooting down my ideas or attempts to get things going
>'well my character doesn't like yours so it makes sense.'

One more fucking time and I'm looking into how much it would take to put a sleeping potion in this idiots next beer and put his ass on a ship
>>
>>60321822
The playing is rolling the dice and interacting with the game mechanics not trying to please theatre drop outs
>>
>>60321837
>I go larp and suck dicks out in the forest, get on my level
No one cares.
>>
File: brainlettttt.jpg (37 KB, 800x450)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>60321808
>Intimidate is the only form of social interaction.
>DnD 3.5 is the only game in existence
>STILL maintains rather loose terminology, for instance "the other character can only be intimidated so far", the parameters will necessarily involve GM discretion and yes, what exactly is being intimidated after, requiring you to describe what it is you're trying to do.
>>
>>60321767
but you usually say I attack with my sword or I swing my sword. That's all we are asking you do. "I attempt to intimidate the guard with my sword" "I attempt to use diplomacy and try and crack jokes to make them like me"

>>60321808
>citing SRD
poorfag, autistic and likely manlet
>>
>>60321846
Well, that answers the question perfectly. But now I'm kind of curious why you hate theatre kids. Did you ever work with the little assholes like I did, or does the concept of young people pretending they can act just seem retarded?
>>
>>60320564
>the eternal video/war gamer vs. novelist/theater kid dilemma
>>
File: image.jpg (336 KB, 1416x1600)
336 KB
336 KB JPG
>>60321887
5e srd, you mog
>describe what it is you're trying to do.
Intimidate, you retard
>>
>>60321927
>Intimidate, you retard
Intimidate them into doing what?
>>
>>60320847
>Your job as the GM to give a brief synopsis of the campaign so they can make a character that can fit with it.
And what if they refuse to.
>Hey this is going to be the general goal of the campaign and these are going to be your party members
>I will make a character who has no reason to care about the campaign goals or the rest of his party.
>>
File: Now look at the 5e one.png (341 KB, 853x586)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
>>60321996
>>60321927

Notice the difference between the text in the two pictures/ Now go back and look at post>>60321808 and figure out which one it more closely resembles. Use your brain for this one, I expect you'll find it extremely difficult.
>>
>>60320452
>And what happens if I put a good performance, but roll poorly?
Your performance influences the DC.
Stand there and say "I intimidate the guard": 30 DC.
Normal intimidation roll (threaten to rip off head and shit down neck:) 15 DC.
Pull off elaborate scheme to make the guard shit himself: 5 DC/no roll required.
>>
File: castro.jpg (43 KB, 468x484)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>60321900
But I dont NEED to do that cuz the dice says i did it already. Holy shit, the absolute state of these theatre art kids i swear to god. no, I dont want to take part in your gay little acting. go suck some more cock. like read up on the mechanics
>>
File: 1520203544344m.jpg (63 KB, 557x1024)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>60322158
You sound fun to play with
>>
>>60322158
>there is one system
>it has one edition
>it works one way
>and nothing else matters
Dude, just watch a movie. It has all the action lined up for you and you don't have to do any "gay little acting."
Or if the movie is too much, you could always take a few calculators and crunch numbers for a while and use them to simulate a story.
>>
>>60322118
It really doesn’t. It’s already spelled out in the intimidate ability.
>through overt threats, hostile actions, and physical violence
>>
File: image.jpg (413 KB, 960x719)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
>>60322194
>larping is fun
>>
>>60320452
>skyrim isn't enough of a powerfantasy
God damn, we've reached new lows.
>>
>>60322194
>>60322213

triggered faggot larpers lol
>>
File: wat.png (22 KB, 300x188)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>60322243
>if it's more simulation than raw numbers and dice rolls it's larping
>>
>>60322306
Yeah, that’s literally what live action role playing is
>>
>>60322306
>A live action role-playing game (LARP) is a form of role-playing game where the participants physically portray their characters.[1] The players pursue goals within a fictional setting represented by the real world while interacting with each other in character. The outcome of player actions may be mediated by game rules or determined by consensus among players. Event arrangers called gamemasters decide the setting and rules to be used and facilitate play.
Sounds about right.
>>
>>60322296
Your own faggotry hangs in the balance of this one question.
Why do you play traditional games?
Be honest. We're all anonymous here.
>>
>>60322372
You're not physically portraying your characters by talking out their actions. Vocally portraying, sure, but not physically.
>>
>>60321916

>insert clip of Team America, and just why dude hates actors.
>>
>>60322588
Oh man. My dad is an even bigger theatre geek than I am, and when we first saw that scene, we fucking lost our minds. That was the greatest part of the movie to us. Especially because we could so clearly see each of the cast doing those specific things.
>>
>>60312622
Hey, fuck you, I'm the HERO.
>>
File: 1528373394907.gif (1.62 MB, 320x240)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB GIF
>>60314090
Yeah dude, kill the fucker.
People act like there are no stakes in your game because there aren't.
>>
that guy who has no character, just a living stat sheet. When asked why he is here and what his motives are, the answer is "My guy wants power."
Ok but why? What will you do with it, what's the end goal?
"To be the most powerful"
Methods include but are not limited to beheading everything and collecting skulls, talking back to authority, and general evil dickbaggery.

Only reason I don't kill his character is because he legitimately believes his character is well fleshed out and interesting and will throw a shitfit.
>>
>>60323309
Daemon Prince material right there
>>
>>60309590
Just making the character from a show they watched. I don't wanna stat your 3d manuever gear shit just for you and nobody else. Even worse when they just USE the characters name as theirs.
>>
>>60320847
The problem is that even if you do this, some players still don't have motivations for their characters. This isn't the GM's fault.
>>
>>60322158
no you don't get it faggot the rules are whatever the DM says it is. The books literally say this
>but muh SRD
Stay poor manlet
>>
>>60309590
Players who can't pay attention whatsoever because they're tapping away at their phone or laptop
"Chaotic neutral" trolls
Obnoxious munchkins
Players who try to take everything in a perverted direction (I used to be guilty of this, when I was a teen)
>>
>>60321389
Then say "I appeal to his good nature and the potential loss such a war would incur" and then roll your fucking dice
>>
>>60323549
Fuck you. Persuade works just as well.
>>
>>60323638
Is a balance, you describe how it would go in the scene and then you roll to see if the action was successful or not.
Is the same mechanic as describing "I scape by jumping from the roof" and then rollin to see how well the jump performed.
>>
>>60320452
>And what happens if I put a good performance, but roll poorly?
Actually performing/providing an argument would significantly lower the DC meaning a poor roll might just succeed, even with a caveat ("On one condition")
>>
>>60321015
>>60320984

>comparing physical feats, much of which are fantastic and unable to be replicated, with fucking reasoning and talking with someone
At least you proved you're incapable of reason.
>>
>>60320452
It is bait and no I answered the question. I described how the game is supposed to be played. Deal with it.

>>60320498
You’re just straw-manning. Just say ‘I tell him t-to... g-go f-fuck himself!’ in your whimpy little voice and I’ll ask you roll intimidate knowing you’re character will say in a more badass way. You don’t need to be badass; just describe how you character is badass. It’s like you want the game to be boring.

>>60320504
I have no interest in larping... Wtf is this? This isn’t an argument. It’s not even an insult ffs. Try again and use your brain this time.
>>
>no interest in larping
>expects people to act out every little thing in game
Lol ok, kid. Now get some sleep your theatre club at school meets in the morning
>>
>>60309599
Am i that guy?

My CN vivisectionist wanted to test our new party memeber, a summoner, by "explaining" to him his weakneses ei, his eidolon not being able to fly and the summoner being a weak point, by atacking the summoner to provoke the eidolon to guard it. After some startegic fighting and using wings to get out of harms way, my vivisectionist closes on summoner for the finishing strike, but just dispenses potion of moderate healing as a touch of injection, powers down and says "These are the weak points in the dam of your body and soul - guard them well, or clog them with skill", embraces him and opens a bottle of Tears to Wine.
>>
>>60321343
The DM prompts you to roll when the situation/your action requires a random result resolved by your modifiers. You don't roll unless your attempt can affect the outcome, which only the DM knows. You can't fucking diplomacy with a bear, and you can't fucking persuade someone without an argument.
>hurr describe my attack
You do, by declaring your target and your weapon. Your argument IS your weapon, otherwise you're just throwing your naked fist against something. Attacking with a weapon can only do damage. Persuasion or Intimidation can do much more than singular things like that.
>>
>>60323890
Cringe af m8
>>
>>60323968
The diplomacy skill is the weapon you lard ass
>>
>>60323982
Diplomacy is the verb like Attack, you mongoloid.
"I try to Persuade him". The diplomacy skill is purely mechanical with no basis in reality. Nothing physical or metaphysical applies to your character's diplomacy skill. Attacking with a weapon describes a physical action with clear understanding. "I use Diplomacy" means fucking nothing when Diplomacy is a skill, an action to take. You still need to fulfill the minimum of a fucking sentence describing something happening.

Charm Person is a metaphysical mechanical ability that requires physical input and produces results. I use Diplomacy has no physical input as a fucking action, so it does nothing.
>>
>>60324058
It’s baked into the fucking skill “When you attempt to influence someone or a group of people with tact, social graces, or good nature, “ obviously when I’m using persuade I’m fucking attempting to influence the guy with my tact social graces and good fucking nature. Jesus Christ how fucking dense can you be.
>>
>>60324177
>obviously when I’m using persuade I’m fucking attempting to influence the guy with my tact social graces and good fucking nature
And you can't even be assed to roleplay that or elaborate on that for even a fucking second. Because you think roleplaying games are games you play to "win."
>>
>>60324189
Yeah, they are. You go into the dungeon, beat the bosses head in and grab the loot. Overall a great time with the bros. Go act out your faggy larp elsewhere.
>>
>>60324221
>he's never actually LARP'd
>doesn't know that LARP parties devolve into murderhoboism even more frequently than tabletop parties
But 10/10 bait, Anonymous-dono, you really got this thread going.
>>
>>60324221
Why even play tabletop if all you want are buttons you can press?
>a great time with the bros
Then why the fuck is socializing a problem for you
>>
Hard to tell who's more retarded, the trolls with their shitty bait, or the newfags who genuinely fall for it.
>>
>>60313050
Bro I'm doing my first game with 6 people and have literally told other friends to their face they can't join since any more would be a disaster.

I can't even fucking imagine doing it with 10 people, your game must be a mess.
>>
>>60324282
>who is worse
>intentionally shitty people
>or genuine but bothersome people
Give me someone who means well and believes people over an active asshole anyday.
>>
>>60317412
>Or pull up a tree and show the monk the secret Kung Fu technique "McGuire swings for the bleachers"

kek'd pretty hard here. If you were my player I'd definitely let you roll for that with your stats in mind + rule of cool. I'd even give advantage if you made it the actual name of the technique in-game.
>>
>>60324282
Is the bait really shit if it keeps reeling them in?
>>
>>60323887
Strawman and ad hom.
>>
>>60324274
dnd was and still is primarily a hack n slash dungeon crawl m8. Deal with it.
>>
>>60324400
>m-m-muh ad hom ;_;
Lol cry more
>>
>>60322158
I know that you're most likely just rusing at this point but well done you actually made me feel anger.
>>
>>60324418
You don’t have a point... you’ve lost the argument.
>>
>>60320452
>Poor roleplayer
>Begins screaming faggot and whining instead of getting better

That is the anon we all know.

>>60320498
Anon worded it strongly and was a bit black and white about it, but the point was clear. It is a roleplay game. So roleplay. You don't need to do a weird voice or use strange wording even a bad job is better than not trying and then whining about it later.

>>60309927

Those spurgs aren't worth your time then. Your appearance doesn't define your interests. Had a friend in college going for sports medicine, was a personal trainer, body builder and had taken training in weapon styles including two handed swords and fencing. Motherfucker loved DnD and LARP. Would have never known by looks alone.

>>60320564

They're called munchkins. While sometimes useful in tougher fights and the occasional forceful plot advancement they should primarily be used as an example for how a good player doesn't play.
>>
>>60321682
Worse. Sounds like a group of spurglords playing number crunch the math. Rules are simple
>Roll dice
>Add bonuses
>DM decides if you pass or fail
>Repeat until DM says you win campaign
>Under no circumstances should any story telling or role play be done or the entire game is ruined
>>
>>60324353
There is no if I made that the name. That IS the name of the technique
>>
>>60309590
>Player in my campaign wants to have special racial shit because backstory.
>I allow it, tweak the world to make it work, since the backstory idea he told was interesting.
>He never uses it in game.
>His backstory, when he writes it down, is shit. I try to pad it and he likes it and keeps it. It never comes into play.
>He's totally apathetic during roleplay.
>When I prod him for input he says the dumbest shit, obviously forgetting crucial plot points that the rest of the party knows by heart.

>Can't kick because good friend.

It's not like he brings the game down overall, but god damn it it pisses me off when I put shit in session that I hope he latches onto, and he just goes along with what the others do.
I don't even give a fuck about his personal quest anymore. We're not that far from the endgame anyway and next game I run I won't invite him. I'll try to motivate it by saying something like "this adventure only works for 4 people because reasons..."
>>
>>60325245
Perfect. Enjoy your advantage.
>>
>>60317869
At that point why don't we just let characters roll a "Combat" or "Strategy" skill to know the exact optimal move to make in combat?
>>
>>60315140
Good bait
>>
>>60321870
You cared enough to reply, faggot




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.