[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: mtg.jpg (923 KB, 1401x1660)
923 KB
923 KB JPG
Valid colorpie bend edition! Please remember to post your reasons why you think your bend is valid together with your card. "Because I want to" is not a valid reason.

To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.boards.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>60654339
>>
bump
>>
>>60773464
You forgot the subject. Why do people forget that? It's one of the most important parts of the OP.
>>
File: Baba Yaga.jpg (42 KB, 375x523)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
This didn't really get much attention last thread so hopefully I'll have more luck this time.
>>
>>60774290
Get rid of both of the artifact tokens. If you absolutely need to have one (and I don't think you do), make it sac itself as a cost.
>>
>>60774279
>You forgot the subject. Why do people forget that?
Because I'm a terrible OP. I usually leave to others do it, but since the thread was already dying, no one had created a new one, and usually no one shows up until at least 1 hour after I wake up, I decided to do it myself.

>It's one of the most important parts of the OP.
Trust me, this time is at least a little better than last time I did OP. I'm not good at this. But it was either that or let the thread die, which means we wouldn't be able to link the old thread to the new one.
>>
>>60774290
>This didn't really get much attention last thread so hopefully I'll have more luck this time.
It happens. I read your card on the previous thread, but didn't give any feedback. Truth is, I don't know what a Baba Yaga is, nor I have any interest in finding out. Also, the artwork sort of repels me. On top of these, I rarely give feedback to Planeswalkers because I'm not good with them.

But here we go:
> Water of Life / Water of Death
No reason to name these artifacts unless there are actually mechanics behind those names. If you are just doing it to give a flavor, right now, its not worth it. Again, I don't know what Baba Yaga is (maybe it should have a title? "Baba Yaga, ________"), but I'm assuming she is a witch and these two abilities are about potions. In that case, you are already pushing the mechanics for flavor reason by giving it the ability to create artifact, since this card belongs to the two colors most distant from artifact creation possible. If you still want to keep it as artifacts, they should sacrifice themselves when using (as cost), and they probably shouldn't have a name (again, unless that particular name is mechanically relevant). But if you still want to push the flavor even more, just name them "Potion", the same way Ixalan had "Treasure". The actual type of potion is already pretty clear from the ability it has, no need to name it. Though again, you should probably avoid creating artifact tokens on GB, and even then, you should really avoid having a card creating 2 different tokens.

Also, remember that creating an artifact that does the effect is stronger than just having the effect there (because you can save for later, and use as instant speed). Also, without the sacrifice cost, these are all probably overpowered.

>Last ability
Not very GB, really. Green is not really into milling, and black is not into legendaries.
>>
>>60774505
>I don't know what a Baba Yaga is
Not him, but it's a witch from Russian/Slavic folklore. Lives in the woods, flies in a giant mortar and pestle, has a house that walks on chicken legs.
>>
File: Baba Yaga.jpg (43 KB, 375x523)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>60774505
>>60774505

Yea I totally fucked up, the Waters should have the sacrifice this artifact wording but I completely derped on it for some reason. Again that is my error.

Also the waters have a very specific thematic reason for their names and striking them out would take away a lot of the original fairytale flavor.
>>
>>60774937
I feel those tokens would work best on a creature. As of now it feels like you can just create the tokens and then activate them at instant speed. It's like if the planeswalker's ability have flash
>>
>>60774937
>Also the waters have a very specific thematic reason for their names
What is it?

Also, why would this witch be a planeswalker? Does the original folklore story says she can travel through different planes?
>>
>>
>>60776285
I like the 3/3 for 3 version you posted a lot more than this one
>>
>>60776285
Sort of agree with >>60776307. Feels like you are overdoing it now.

You have a green ability (super trample) and a white ability (double strike), but they don't fit that well on the card. Let's start analyzing the last ability. On its core, it fits quite well the colors of the card, because if we break it down:
> draw on dealing combat damage to a player -> mainly blue, but also green
> gaining life -> mainly white, but also green
So in one effect, you merge all the three colors in harmony. I think it fits the card.

Now back to Double Strike & super trample
> double strike -> white, but far from green and blue
> super trample -> green, but far from white and blue
These two abilities are not harmonious among the colors. They are primary in one of the colors, but I would argue that they are both secondary and red, then tertiary on black, and THEN they go into the other colors of this card. Back when you had Vigilance, it felt a lot more harmonious, because its primary on white, secondary on green, and arguably tertiary on blue (if someone else is getting vigilance, its blue and not red/black).

Plus, both double strike & super trample feel way too brutal for the a GWU cute girl in a nice grassy hill wielding a 1H mace & a shield. Double strike is brutal. Super trample is brutal. If this was a RBG motherfucker with four flails, it would fit very well.

Take a step back. Go back where you were before, then if you to change the card, move from there.
>>
>>60777291
Alright thanks for the feedback!
>>
File: Anya, Sengir Plagueborn.jpg (233 KB, 744x1039)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
Tweaked from the last thread, trying out a different vector
>>
>>60778179
Not sure if it matters to you, but there is already a legend named Anya. A shit legend that apparently no one remembers since i don't think it was pointed out last thread either. But it is there.

I feel like something is strange with the overall design but I can't put my finger on it. I can't remember exactly what was said in the last thread, but I think it was overall that aren't the first two abilities unnecessary? I THINK that's what it is. In effect, this would be "Whenever ~ attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on target creature." I don't think there's any world where you just let them build up on her which would be the only relevant mechanical distinction that would make splitting these into two abilities necessary. If you really want this, I would probably give her a benefit to stacking counters (and a p/t boost to better help enable adding more counter and to make up for being downsided). There's a number of things you could do that scale to the counters on her so take your pick. If you want to go with that angle.
>>
>>60778179
Replace the first two abilities with Wither.
>>
>>60778301
>>60778380
Thanks for the input, I wanted to do the -1/-1 counter build up on her for flavor but it seems to not really be working out as well as I'd hoped
>>
>>60778603
It can work, but I think the problem is the effect you have is a lot more words for nothing much more than, yeah, basically Wither. The building up counters on her isn't a thing because she just immediately transformers the counter she built up for the turn like 99.999% of the time. i would cut the can't block ability even if it's pretty cool, remove the counter transfer, increase her p/t, and then if you want to keep her RB, maybe make her deal X damage when she attacks (or dies, I would add as well) to each other target you don't control, if the play pattern you want to go for involves building up counters with the flavor of hurting other things with her counters.
>>
>>60778671
>The building up counters on her isn't a thing because she just immediately transformers the counter she built up for the turn like 99.999% of the time
Just want to add that the last ability actually makes it harder for her to to transfer her -1/-1 counters, which feels a bit clumsy for me, design-wise.
>>
File: Avatar of Paradise.jpg (46 KB, 375x523)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
In case anyone's curious, MTG.Design finally got around to fixing their frames. Well, sorta. The P/T box for full-art shows up now, and they have the DFC frames up, but only the ISD front side looks good. The others look like someone's fucking around with stickers.
>>
>>60779104
How does this sound
Wither (This deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on ~.
Whenever ~ attacks, it deals damage equal to the number of -1/-1 counters on it divided as you choose among any number of target creatures.
>>
>>60779570
I sort of like this, but I think the last ability is pushing too much. I would suggest these two changes:
> Flying, vigilance
> Whenever CARDNAME enters the battlefield or attacks, create a 1/1 white Bird creature token with flying.
> T: Add X mana in any combination of colors, where X is the number of creatures you control.
OR
> Flying
> Whenever CARDNAME enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 green Bird creature tokens with flying.
> Tap an untapped creature you control: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Though I personally like the second one better. Also, I think Flying suits this guy, since it has White, Blue and references one of the few green cards that traditionally have Flying.

>>60779686
>How does this sound
Not great, to be honest. Assuming it remains 3/3, that how it will go:
> won't do anything on the first turn (summoning sickness)
> it will attack on the second turn as a 2/2, pinging for 1 damage
> it will attack on the third turn as a 1/1, pinging for 2 damage
> will die
This looks like a Keldon Marauder with extra steps.

May I ask you what exactly you are trying to achieve with your card? That way perhaps we can give you suggestions that fits what you want better.
>>
>>60779686
I actually think it's okay, but I would make sure to make its attack trigger also a dies trigger ("Whenever ~ attacks or dies), that way you get something on the last turn as well. The play pattern feels very fun to me. I would also just make it deal all the damage to all their creatures. It seems unnecessary to have the dividing stuff and to make it weaker since it automatically kills itself eventually.

My biggest problem is that it feels too linear. It feels like the interesting part of this would be manipulating counters on it. Like it feels like it'd be fun to play a deck with stuff like Manticore of the Gauntlet and Soulstinger, but it doesn't feel like it'd store very many counters. Maybe all you need to fix that is make it bigger but eh.
>>
>>60779104
No, I think it makes sense-- the idea would be that she's already infected those creatures, so if they want to block they have to block with something that doesn't have counters. It kind of feeds into itself. I actually think it's a cool ability in general. But I don't know if it works if the overall goal is to make a RB card where you want to "build up" -1/-1 counters on it.
>>
File: Through the Haze.png (273 KB, 375x523)
273 KB
273 KB PNG
Card loosely based on Ashnod's Cylix.

>>60779570
Hm, I agree that this needs to be toned down a little. Of the two suggestions in >>60780729, I like the first one better. It feels like it'd play a little better overall. However, the second one has more of that "community effort" feel that Bant likes, so it's pretty much at your discretion.
>>
File: Mage Eater Demoness.jpg (46 KB, 375x523)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Is frenzy dumb?
>>
>>60783262
In my opinion, yeah.
>>
File: Wood Faced Rogue.jpg (41 KB, 375x523)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>60784233
What about rogue mischief?
>>
>>60784285
Huh???
>>
>>60784285
Weird. Anyway, as far as "attacks and isn't blocked" triggers go, I say replace them with a "combat damage to players" trigger if you can.
>>
>>60784475
I was actually wondering this going over the afflict stuff the other day. Did they ever explain why they went with "attacks and isn't blocked" stuff for afflict creatures rather than just combat damage triggers? I'm not sure I understand the reasoning. It feels weird to read and it warrants an extra level of mental check (attacked? yes. and wasn't blocked? yes versus deal combat damage to a player? yes) that didn't seem necessary.
>>
File: Leyroad Graveyard.jpg (211 KB, 744x1039)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
This was a hard one to figure out. Flavor is if you have a train graveyard, you destroy an unused (noncreature) vehicle (artifact). It seemed like a small enough effect to put this on but it's really hard to tell.
>>
>>60784550
Probably because "blocked" and "combat damage" aren't technically mutually exclusive, though you'd need Trample to trigger both in one combat.
>>
File: Wood Faced Rogue 2.jpg (41 KB, 375x523)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>60784475
On review, any distinction between
>attacks and isn't blocked
and
>dealt combat damage to a player
would be fairly irrelevant for this creature and it's effect, save for edge cases such as the creature becoming a 10/10 with trample or something. I changed it with your input in mind.
>>
>>60785682
I still don't know why this cares about blocking creatures. I guess the flavor is it breaks something for everything that gets distracted? It feels like a bit of a reach for an effect that doesn't feel super organic to me.
>>
File: Samurai Student.jpg (38 KB, 375x523)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>60784233
>>60784338
>>60784475
And while I'm here, what do you think of defender?
>inb4 no bushido
>>
>>60785771
Jesus christ, speaking of inorganic combinations of abilities. What role is this card supposed to be playing?
>>
>>60785811
The most convoluted blocker ever conceived, apparently. "You want a blocker?! We got you a blocker! It's got static ability, a triggered ability, and an activated ability! Why? Well, use it and find out!"

>>60785771
Defender is OK. I kinda like Walls and Defender tribal actually.
>>
>>60785725
yeah that's the idea. Given that green tends to either get one big creature or lots of small ones, I thought it would be reasonable for one of the many to get to work behind enemy lines while the main forces fought each other.
There are a few problems, though. Firstly, it's a small creature. If you open with this, it's not fooling anyone. If you play it too late, who even cares? it's a 1/1.
It's also a rogue, so it wants to get in unblocked, which is usually a blue or white thing with flying and spells that make something unblockable and so on.
What's more, artifact heavy decks tend to have means of turning artifacts into creatures, or they're RW equipment decks, and here is where it loses flavour, because now this 1/1 sneak is going up to big war jocks and disarming them somehow?

I thought the idea was fun, but it's far too weak and underthought to be a real card as it turns out.
>>
>>60785928
I think going unblocked is reasonable in green, since green is a combat trick color. I don't think that's an issue. I don't think a 1 drop is where this wants to be in any case, something a little more middling would benefit from the typical +2 or +3, but still.

I think the turning artifacts into creatures thing is a nonissue to be frank.

Overall the issue is more a comprehension one more than it not being an effect that could reasonably done. An artifact destroying saboteur effect makes sense. But it just has a weird combination of text which ups the comprehension complexity and I don't think it contributes anything. I also think "if it gets through, and also other stuff was blocked" is potentially a bit of an overall play pattern issue (seems like a weird situation where something else gets blocked and this doesn't and the artifact destruction matters-- if they didn't want it to happen, they'd just block it, and if you have tricks to get it through the extra condition only makes it unnecessarily harder by giving your opponent still more control over what happens) but in general I think the ability as written is just strange for what could be a lot simpler.
>>
>>60785811
>>60785870
I was thinking of making it a transforming card, but I feel like transform cards have to have some kind of real and crazy transformation to justify a transform in the first place, otherwise it could just be a levelup card. That, I could have done, honestly, and defender would be gone by the last level.

Again, it's my poor habit of flavour taking over game sense.
>A 2/2 blocker with first strike for just W!
>Except it can't attack
>And if you're playing a multiplayer, it can only effectively block against one player per round.
>And it's bushido.
>Except it's not even bushido, it's half of bushido because it can't attack.
>And it's also half first strike because it can't attack.
>It's a 1 drop that acts more like a turn 3 drop that can't attack.
>>
>>60786044
>if they didn't want it to happen, they'd just block it, and if you have tricks to get it through the extra condition only makes it unnecessarily harder by giving your opponent still more control over what happens
Part of the reason for making it the way it is was for this; to give the opponent a choice to block either the big thing or the little thing that's going to take something else away, but you bring up only really good points, because if something like an artifact is worth destroying, it's worth protecting, and if the creature becomes unblockable, thus giving no other choice, then there we go, half of the creature's text didn't even matter.

I'll go about making it simpler. I should probably get rid of the "blocking creatures" check and just have it say
>When this deals combat damage to a player, that player sacrifices an artifact.
It would also cut out legacy like abuse cases where creatures are forced to block each turn if able. (I'm sure there's a legacy card that does that...)
>>
>>60778179
If you're trying to have the vampire wither away and get stronger when it feeds, you could do something like
>At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on ~.
>Whenever ~ kills a creature, remove all -1/-1 counters from it. (A creature is killed by this creature if it this creature dealt damage to it the turn it received lethal damage and was destroyed.)
>~ is unblockable if it has no -1/-1 counters on it.
Sort of a custom mechanic in there and a bit different mechanically.
I figured what's the point of putting -1/-1 counters on something that doesn't die? Is it going to be attacking walls? I figured the blocking flavor was about fear and that creatures with more toughness than power (since they wouldn't die, but also wouldn't kill Anya) wouldn't really be afraid
>>
File: Burden to Bear.png (206 KB, 375x523)
206 KB
206 KB PNG
>>
bump while i read
>>
File: download.jpg (121 KB, 750x523)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>60781275
> the idea would be that she's already infected those creatures
This would work great with Wither or even Infect. But instead with that ability where she gets -1/-1 counters, then transfer that, I don't think i would work out that well, since if she isn't getting blocked, she isn't transferring the -1/-1 counters and will soon die off its own ability. So basically one of her abilities undermines the other. With these two first abilities from >>60778179, you might as well make the second ability as a provoke:
> R: Target creature with a -1/-1 counter blocks CARDNAME if able this turn. Untap it.
This way, you can make sure you can feed off from weakened creatures, and finish them off.

Though again, it just seems like you are going backwards with the Sengir ability. If you are the -1/-1anon , well, that is what I meant about "-1/-1 matters" being a hard mechanic to pull off. They are inherent negative, you don't want this shit on your creatures. Trying to make them into a good thing doesn't make much sense, much less for a set mechanic that you will need to feature many cards about it.

Pic related is the best I can offer as a "-1/-1 counters matter positively" mechanic, and though it can be used on multiple cards, I don't think it would make a great set mechanic. "-1/-1 counters matter positively" might work only if you have a huge -1/-1 oriented set, then you throw in that as a secondary mechanic to "fight off" the -1/-1 cards. But as a main mechanic of a set, my opinion remains that it is not a good idea.
>>
>>60781678
This seems weak. I think for 3 mana, I would rather have a Phyrexian Arena than this most of the time.

>>60783262
Frenzy could be interesting, but not like this. I don't think the idea of cards with frenzy is to attack directly into your opponent's life, but rather to force them to block. Deathtouch + Frenzy is an interesting combination, but to throw in flying there isn't that fair or interesting (because it shadows the Deathtouch+Frenzy dilemma).

>>60784817
I think this is too strong, mainly because it gives artifact destruction to people who shouldn't have it. What about make it a sacrifice ability instead?

>>60785682
>... for each blocking creature.
Take this part out. The flavor of sabotaging or/and fucking people up while distracted is already there on the card since the effect is triggered when it is not blocked. Plus, at this point, if you attack with several guys and the opponent JUST IGNORES YOU, you don't get to destroy anything. It is a really clumsy mechanic.

>>60785771
Interesting, though I think this is far too complex for common. I would make it uncommon.

>>60787609
Why giving +1/+1 counters? Why not just give "Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has defender"? Also, check out a card named Cagemail.
>>
>>60790530
>Why giving +1/+1 counters? Why not just give "Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has defender"? Also, check out a card named Cagemail.
So it can combo with Aura re-attachers
>>
>>60790569
>So it can combo with Aura re-attachers
Seems a very specific reason. Also, maybe this would makes sense on an enchantment that exclusively grants you bonus, such as giving a good keyword rather than Defender. For instance:

> Green Aura of Counters
> 1G
> Enchantment - Aura
>
> Enchant creature
> Whenever CARDNAME becoems attached to a creature, put two +1/+1 counters on that creature.
> Enchanted creature has trample
That way, it doesn't combo only with Aura re-attachers (is that really a thing?), but also with many +1/+1 counter synergies.
>>
>>60790569
Make it bounce itself then.
>>
File: Wood Faced Rogue 3.jpg (39 KB, 375x523)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>60790530
>but to throw in flying there isn't that fair or interesting (because it shadows the Deathtouch+Frenzy dilemma).
Honestly, I think so too. I was hopiong someone would mention that.
>Interesting, though I think this is far too complex for common. I would make it uncommon.
Good idea. Will do.
And lastly
Pic related. Much smoother and still on theme. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>60792062
Bumping by saying maybe this guy should be uncommon, but because of powerlevel. Check Rustmouth Ogre, for example, which has a similar ability.

If you want to keep it common, make it a sacrifice ability, such as Elvish Scrapper, Elvish Lyrist or Elvish Hexhunter. It could, instead of being a tap ability like these mentioned, could be:
> When CARDNAME deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice it. If you do, that player sacrifices an artifact.

Just pointing out that maybe a 1 mana elf that can potentially wreck several artifacts might be too strong for common.
>>
File: Sorority Force.jpg (46 KB, 375x523)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>60794046
Ah yeah, I forgot to change the costs. My bad.
I wont post it again, since it's been up 3 times now, and folks are probably getting sick of seeing it.
Instead let's try this last one.

I feel like it should be rarer and cost more. Probably blisteringly overpowered, but you guys know the game really well, so your verdict on this helps a lot.
>>
>>60795413
>Probably blisteringly overpowered
Not sure about power level, to be honest. Just search for cards that generate something like three 2/2 tokens for reference. Also, I feel like the last token could be 1/3.

HOWEVER, I don't recommend this card at all. The reason is because I personally think no card should ever make more than one type of token, since it adds an unnecessary potential confusion to our players. Also, sets usually try to shrink the number of different tokens on them, so usually tokens with uneven P/T are avoided. Again, this is all because of added complexity - keep in mind tokens are usually cardless, so there's no actual graphical/textual reminder of what they are and what stats they have.

Since I don't want to leave you empty handed, here is my suggestion for this card:
> Search your deck for up to three white creature cards with converted mana cost 1 or less and different names, then put them into the battlefield. Shuffle your library.
I think this sort of makes what you want, opens up the possibility for a lot of good/interesting/epic interactions and combos, and still reflects the flavor of three different chicks showing up. If you want to spice up, you could make it CMC <= 2 and make it rare/mythic, though I'm afraid how powerful that can be (since 2 mana creatures already get quite decent ETB effects)
>>
>>60780729
>Avatar of Paradise
Will likely make it so it gives your creatures the ability to tap for mana. mG flyers feels too odd for me to do even as tokens, despite the obvious callback.
>>
>>60796262
That's a great idea! I forgot take into account the token issue, even though I've been in that situation before with real cards; Cathar's Crusade with tokens, it's just more to keep track of and separate.
>>
File: Honor Call.jpg (42 KB, 375x523)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>60800313
that card gave me this idea
>>
>>60800805
That's pretty cool. The are is super W too.
>>
>>60800805
I feel like it's weird for W to have this and not G.
>>
How should I word this helper text for my mechanic "kills"

>(A creature kills another creature when it deals damage to a creature which receives lethal damage and is destroyed in the same turn, or is destroyed by its ability.)

An example of it on a more powerful creature is
>Whenever a creature you control kills a creature an opponent controls, you may draw a card.
>>
>>60801753
>destroyed by its ability
What ability?
>>
>>60801789
Thanks, I'll definitely make that change. Good advice and contribution
>>
File: Quickgash Cheetah.png (302 KB, 375x523)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
What do you think of my first ever custom card?
>>
>>60804524
This is more red than green.
>>
>>60804533
Green can dabble in flash, and I think the 'fight' component is very green.
>>
>>60804596
Just looked it up, and both those mechanics statistically appear much, much more in green than red.
>>
>>60804524
>>60804596
Welcome back.
>>
>>60804616
What?
>>
>>60804533
You just got trolled
>>
>>60804647
Shit, I have never posted in one of these threads before.
>>
>>60804596
Fight usually uses another creature to do the damage. You need to play big green creatures to have green removal; small dudes that burn on entry are usually red.
>>
>>60800805
This shouldn't be X or less, it should be exactly X.
It also should be green.
>>
>>60804524
Hrm... It feeks slightly undercosted to me? I'm not sure... If you change its effect to "When [QC} enters the battlefield, it fights target creature" Then I'd be perfect for that cost.... but then again the GG might be good enough...
>>
File: topic.jpg (323 KB, 1875x523)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>
>>60806240
I like the Idyllic Musing and Nature's Science because they aren't as basic and common as the other one's effects. Might wanna rename Nature's Science.
>>
File: Mana Warp.jpg (37 KB, 375x523)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>60801163
>That's pretty cool
thanks

>>60800805
>>60804682
>It also should be green
I actually think this is more white and green. Why? Because both are creature colors, but white focus on several small creatures while green focus on a few big fellas. And this card is like a Green Sun's Zenith but for 3 many creatures instead of a single one. That is the difference. With this, you rarely will be able to play something with CMC 4 or more, but at the same time, it let's you get three creatures out of it. That is the white aspect speaking - numbers rather than one big guy

>>60804682
>his shouldn't be X or less, it should be exactly X.
Makes it a lot harder to use. If I go for exactly X AND white AND different names, that's like 3 restrictions to the card. Since I wanted to have the "different names" aspect, I decided to go for any X, because otherwise, it will make it a pain in the ass to use this card. If it had a fixed value for X, maybe I would then make it equal to.

>>60806240
I like them, though I'm not sure how much I feel like having counter spells in white. Its the number 1 thing from blue, so its sort of weird to put somewhere else. Also, I would have Smoke Strike be Sorcery and not Instant (Volcanic Hammer).
>>
File: Chaos Bolt.jpg (52 KB, 375x523)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>
File: Chaos Bolt_2.jpg (52 KB, 375x523)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>60808274
Maybe I'm doing too many X spells lately. How about this version?
>>
This thread has made me realize I suck at this planar chaos color bending thing. Still haven't made a single card I feel like posting
>>
File: Image.jpg (28 KB, 223x310)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>60808454
>I suck at this planar chaos color bending thing
Don't beat yourself to it, anon. Even WotC sucks at this planar chaos bending thing
>>
>>60807872
Fucks you over if you hit a land. Colorless is not a color.
>>
>>60809116
>Fucks you over if you hit a land. Colorless is not a color.
Damnit, I forgot about this. I was counting on lands being colorless, though through that wording, it wouldn't work indeed. Thanks for pointing out.
>>
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>60807872
>>60809116
How about this wording? I tweaked so it could work with lands as well
>>
>>60809269
Maybe make the activated ability mill you until you hit non-land card?
>>
>>60776285
>>60777291
Double Strike makes total sense. It works with the third ability, letting you draw 2 and gain life twice. Now, that DOES mean it gets really damn strong, but that'd be expected, considering pic related is a card that already exists and the guy's making a legendary that costs more mana and is in 3 colours, instead of being a 2 colour hybrid.

But yeah, the super trample is overkill.
>>
>>60809363
That card pisses me off so much. It works in neither color and has to be gold, but that's one of the shittiest magic set for you I guess
>>
>>60809386
Well, yeah, the hybrid cost is really questionable. But, since it's a thing that exists and it's far from ancient MtG design, I suppose we should treat this as a precedent that matters.
>>
>>60809269
>>60809332
Maybe just add one mana of the top card's colors? You'd have to up the cost though, maybe 4 or 5 mana. Regardless, I'm not a big fan of doing this in U.

>>60809386
>>60809409
I'm pretty sure Maro has acknowledged that the early use of hybrid was pretty far off the mark.

>it's far from ancient MtG design
Dude, that card's 10 years old now. 10 years ago we were still using Fear, which has since been replaced twice.
>>
>>60809409
>using Lorwyn as guidelines
what's next, Kamigawa edition?
>>
File: Jungle Hunter.jpg (44 KB, 375x523)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>60806240
W and G I wouldn't mind seeing as real cards. U is... OK I guess, a bit of a stretch though. B and R I don't think work at all.

>>60807872
>I'm not sure how much I feel like having counter spells in white.
Wizards has already printed a few counters in W. Not many, mind you, and usually soft or narrow.
>>
>>60776285
>>60809363
>Double Strike makes total sense. It works with the third ability, letting you draw 2 and gain life twice
I never said it doesn't work with the last ability. That is pretty obvious (bordering boring) design. But again, the same thing was true with the original version of the card >>60758485 , but at least that one made it in a lot smoother way (in my opinion, all that needed to change was "attacks or blocks" instead of "deals combat damage", for flavor reasons).

What I said, however, is that it doesn't fits the color schemes nor the flavor. Starting with the flavor, the card artwork is a nice looking girl with a shield in one hand and a mace on another. Why would it have double strike? Usually double-strike things either have two weapons/claws/etc, or are very skilled with some sharp blade weapon. A mace/shield combination, in the other hand, its something VERY not double-strike-like. Double strike simply doesn't fit this card's flavor

The second reason is the color schemes. Usually, cards with one or more colors have some scheme that balances the colors within the card somehow. In this card simply doesn't get this going one. It has a VERY white ability (double strike), which is really far from the other colors. It has a VERY green ability (super trample), which is really far from the other colors. Then it has an ability that is very harmonious with all the three colors, since draw-on-it is blue/green and life gaining is white/green. The last ability is interesting, and it is very Bant-like, because it sort of fits the three colors there in harmony. But the card loses the harmony when you throw in 2 very color-specific abilities. Where is blue's very specific ability? With this combination of abilities, blue feels completely left out and out of place.

Back when it had Vigilance as the only keyword, it made a lot more sense. Vigilance is primary on white, secondary on green and tertiary on blue. The whole card felt balanced among its colors.
>>
>>60808479
I always find it funny how that card's been reprinted more often than its U counterpart.
>>
File: Evertree.jpg (46 KB, 375x523)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Long time no see. I've been out of MtG for a while actually, for all I know they've already printed this.
>>
File: Technically.jpg (37 KB, 375x523)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>
>>60810185
>I always find it funny how that card's been reprinted more often than its U counterpart.
That's ironic indeed. Though it never got reprinted on a real valid set, though

>>60810405
This is extremely overpowered. Iin a few turns this will grow out of proportion, even more so if you have more than one on the battlefield. Also, this probably takes away the need to constantly drop lands after you get 4~5 colored ones.
>>
>>60810405
No that have not.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the play pattern of this card. Getting the counter on the end step makes it a bit more useful for counterplay and instant-speed stuff, but removing the counter each time you play a land sucks. Sucks even more with fetchlands. I mean, it's most likely you'll forgo playing lands only when you already have a bunch of them, at which point getting more mana from this land is kinda pointless.

>>60810528
>That's ironic indeed. Though it never got reprinted on a real valid set, though
Fair enough, but neither has Concentrate.
>>
>>60810528
>Also, this probably takes away the need to constantly drop lands after you get 4~5 colored ones.
That's the idea: it makes up for missing a land drop. You're right that it's probably too strong though. Wish I could start it on -1 charge.
>>
>>60810634
>That's the idea: it makes up for missing a land drop. You're right that it's probably too strong though. Wish I could start it on -1 charge.
Try this:
> T: Add 1.
> T: Add two mana of any one color. You can't play lands this turn. Activate this ability only if you haven't played a land since the beginning of your last turn.

There you go. A lot simpler, a lot less broken (I'm hoping). You can make the second ability also give colorless if you want to be safe, or to just tone down its power level.
>>
File: Mistress of Curses.jpg (38 KB, 375x523)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>60810751
>Activate this ability only if you haven't played a land since the beginning of your last turn.
A previous version of this card was a bit like this, but oh god the memory issues. Half the time, players have trouble remembering land drops they made in the SAME turn. That's why I went for a counter every turn.
>>
>>60810803
>but oh god the memory issues
Hmmm... that is indeed a problem. What about this then:

> At the beginning of your end step, if you haven't played a land this turn, put a charge counter on CARDNAME.
> T: Add 1.
> T, Remove a charge counter: Add 2.

or

> At the beginning of your end step, if you haven't played a land this turn and there is no charge counter on CARDNAME, put a charge counter on it.
> T: Add 1. If CARDNAME has a charge counter on it, add 2 instead.
>>
File: Boros Squad Leader.jpg (40 KB, 375x523)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>60808309
Neat. I like it much better than the X version, which can be manipulated and plays poorly with itself.
>>
File: Archive Sphinx.jpg (43 KB, 375x523)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>60810928
I may or may go with "if you haven't played a land", but
> T, Remove a charge counter: Add 2.
this seems like the right path to fix the card. Thanks.
>>
File: Alter Adept.png (254 KB, 375x523)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
>>
File: Truestrike Cavalry.png (284 KB, 375x523)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
Inspired by >>60776285 playing with supertrample.

>>60810955
Now that's what I call unexplored design space. Really gives that feel of the older sphinxes while synergizing with them/other UW cards. Would love to see in a conspiracy-like set
>>
>>60810940
>I like it much better than the X version, which can be manipulated and plays poorly with itself.
I preferred that one as well, and one of the reasons is that it players better with itself. Another reason is that it is less prone to abuse - with the X1R one, you could simply throw in some 0 costed cards like Ancestral Vision and get insane values out of a 1R burn.

> Boros Squad Leader
I think I would rather have this ability working for everyone. Something in the lines of:
> When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 red and white Soldier token into the battlefield.
> Players can only attack with exactly three creatures.
Then change the manacost to 2RW.

>>60810955
I would condense the abilities into a single one:
> Whenever a player chooses a card name, put a +1/+1 counter on Archive Sphinx. If the chosen name was Archive Sphinx, draw a card.
Also, I would make the draw be always you, so people can't abuse your own card. This should even leave you enough space to add some flavor text, if you feel like.

>>60811335
No idea how to comment on this card. Only thing I can think of is that a "Sacrifice X lands" ability seems very off-putting.
>>
File: Last-Minute Editor.jpg (46 KB, 375x523)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>60812651
>I think I would rather have this ability working for everyone.
Then it becomes a potent control card, one which I suspect would not be fun to play against. I like it as it is, a high-risk high-reward aggro card.

> Also, I would make the draw be always you, so people can't abuse your own card.
I'm ambivalent on this. I like the tension it might cause an opponent. (Though let's be real, unless there's some wacky keyword in the set, you'll practically always be the only one who can use the ability anyway.)

>>60811335
This is super harsh. Can't imagine it ever being worth using except if the set has some insanely effective auraquipment. And even so, your opponent could kill the Adept anyway and you'll have a miserable time. "All or nothing" decks are not a great design space.

>>60812602
Makes blocking decisions quite a bit trickier. Not sure if the payoff's worth it, but it's worth testing.
>>
>>60806240
I like cards like these, where they do what other colours do, but in a more limited way because it's out of colour.
I think the B card should deal it's damage to nonblack targets, or be a sorcery, since in it's current state, it's a better bolt than every bolt but the original.
>>
>>60808274
This one was basically cascade but for instants and sorceries only.
You could addend that keyword as cascade for instants, but I think cascade is already crazy enough without added stipulations.
>>
>>60811335
How about
>Whenever an equipment enters the battlefield, you may attach it to Alter Adept.
>Sacrifice a permanent attached to Alter Adept: Attach an equipment or aura card in your graveyard to Alter Adept.
>>
>>60814357
A silver bordered card that isn't memes, holy shit!
>>
>>60815858
>Sacrifice a permanent attached to Alter Adept: Attach an equipment or aura card in your graveyard to Alter Adept.
Infinite loop.

>>60815948
I try.
>>
File: Hypergoyf.jpg (49 KB, 375x523)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>60815948
bleh, misposted.
>>
File: Asynchronic Mnemonic.png (260 KB, 375x523)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
>>60804524
If it fought rather than dealt damage it would feel more green. That said, the thread theme is color-bends, and I can kinda see it now that Rabid Bite exists. It's a very strong card, in any case, Maybe a 4-mana 2/4? As a first design, it's bland and inoffensive, which is a great sign! The correct way to template the ability is.
>When ~ enters the battlefield, you may have it deal damage equal to its power to target creature.
It'd suggest "another target creature", but it doesn't really matter given that its a 2/3.
>>
>>60810405
You were already gone by the time I arrived here, but your name comes up every so often. Didn't you make a cube of custom cards?
>>
File: The Ol Switcheroo.jpg (38 KB, 375x523)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>60816352
This would have to be playtested by experts in eternal formats. Seems innocuous enough to me, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to learn there's an instant-death 6 cards stack even with the random order.

Here's a silly variant from the cube.

>>60816427
I was starting to wonder if anyone at all would still recognize me. 4chan has quite the turnover. Yeah, I spearheaded the /tg/ Custom Cards Cube in summer 2013. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wb76eg9hgyer6qa/AABcFuqs4PZ6ojuonwP0jDsSa?dl=0 Looking back, it's a hot mess, but full of cute ideas.
>>
>>60810955
This is cool as hell.
>>
Is time-anon still around? Last I heard he was doing a not-Ixalan set based around hand size.
>>
>>60814357
>>60816006
Quality silver-bordered cards. What is this? Am I still on /ccg/?
>>
>>60816629
He posts when he has time. Ever since he became a teacher, he's been pretty strapped for time, which is understandable.
>>
File: Griffin Graveyard.jpg (42 KB, 375x523)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>60816853
You flatterer you.
>>
File: Microgoyf.jpg (48 KB, 375x523)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
oh I do also have the other one
>>
File: Yngvir Winters Bite.png (259 KB, 375x523)
259 KB
259 KB PNG
>>60816907
Maybe
>"Create an "exile-for-real zone"
? Fits better with it being a sorcery, imo. This is the same joke as AWOL, in any case.
>>
>>60814357
This is the best silver-bordered card I've seen in a long while.
>>
>>60817020
Yeah, mechanically this was me trying to make an AWOL that would work.

It's a different joke though. AWOL was poking fun of the silly name of "the removed-from-the-game zone", which is now obsolete, while mine is about Misthollow Griffin.
>>
>>60817190
Just so you guys know, exiling face-down kills all existing exile recursion options, even the self-recurring creatures like Misthollow.
>>
File: Brilliant Deduction.jpg (44 KB, 375x523)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>60817020
First ability is neat. Second ability is pretty back-breaking, and would require a higher mana cost. An aggro or midrange player just might be able to win through 1, but not with 2 on top.
>>
>>60817275
Huh, true. I can only hope they'll never make another Misthollow Griffin so we don't need it.
>>
>>60817328
I felt the same then they printed that dumb eldrazi... What a shame
>>
>>60815982
Make Alter Adept tap for it, or make it only possible on your turn. Not sure how many equipments or auras have etb effects, so probablt tap to be safe.
>>
>>60817328
They just did with Squee.
>>
>>60817190
I'm AWOL was also made to get around cheatyface.
>>
File: Disruptor Mage.jpg (50 KB, 375x523)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>60817470
*googles*
Dammit, MaRo, stop losing arguments.

While I'm here: I have a folder of MtG-ish fantasy art I collected back when I was more active here. Feel free to use it. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6tyd7zwv6ydrxnw/AAAkGBg0GlLOAg170BeERaWia?dl=0
>>
File: Cave Cyclops.jpg (287 KB, 744x1039)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>
File: The All Seeing.jpg (43 KB, 375x523)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>
>>60809563
Well, I feel old now. But still, what I consider ancient is pretty much before modern-borders.
>>
File: Daydreamer Apprentice.png (215 KB, 375x523)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
>Roxolan posting
What the hell is this bizarro thread I've landed in? Did we magically go back to 2012? I don't hear Sonny and Cher playing on the radio... so I don't think I'm stuck in a time loop...
>>
>>60817020
This would be easier to keep track of with a counter, such as a "freeze counter" or something, which would prevent the target from untapping and the counter would get removed at the beginning of the controller's upkeep.
>>
File: Highborn Cuirassier.png (230 KB, 375x523)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
I'm not really coming up with much that's 'color bending' tonight. This isn't really because white gets a lot of effects if you slap a tax on them. Not anything, mind, but a lot of things.

>>60819349
Hm. The toughness here feels a bit over the top. Why so high? Higher than 4 for something like this just seems like overkill. Being out of Bolt range is good enough I think. Maybe make it 2/4 to compensate. Also you might want to throw reminder text on it as to whether you can search for any card if the effect specifies a type of card (land, etc) for clarity purposes.

>>60818937
NBL hate/10. People have been making a lot more nonbasic hate these last few threads. Is it because of Alpine Moon?

>>60817673
I like this. It's a pretty cool effect. Not 100% sure on hybrid, as it's a way more white effect than a blue one I think. I reckon you could make an argument for it though since blue is the 'rule change' color.
>>
File: Aristocrat Abductor.png (240 KB, 375x523)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
Black can do some exiling, so maybe this would be neat. I think the issue is that it couldn't really come up as a keyword action that often, since you can't really have this in a set a ton. But it just read nicely to me so I did it anyway. It works fine without the keyword but it's a bit long-winded.
>>
>>60819349
This is a neat idea, but note that a player is never forced to "find" something when searching through a library, which is the optimal choice. So baring multiplayer politics, this reads "opponents can't search libraries".
>>
>>60822350
Simple and elegant common. Well done.
>>
File: Aristocrat Abductor.png (240 KB, 375x523)
240 KB
240 KB PNG
Update to >>60824934 (You); I thought I might change it a bit so you can make the ransom be different things. Opens the design space a lot more. Does this read okay? There isn't much precedence for something like this. I was going to make it read more like Channel or similar abilities, but I couldn't get it to read right. If anyone has a better idea I'm all eyes. Or maybe I should just toss it. Who knows.

>>60826520
Thanks. I like making commons; I think they are a challenge to make interesting/fun.
>>
File: The Question.png (228 KB, 375x523)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
>>
File: Earnest Squire.jpg (43 KB, 375x523)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>60818937
Very nice, COAnon. Neat design.

>>60819349
The idea is interesting, but I think the wording is not 100% yet. Also, as another anon mentioned, being 1/7 basically screams "i don't want this to die!". Beware when making effect-based cards and throwing in a huge toughness just to keep it alive.

>>60822350
I get what you are doing here, but as a common, I would make this come into the battlefield untapped.

>>60824763
>Noblese
I feel like this keyword shouldn't be Keyword N, but instead just be a static cost of 2. Though I particularly don't feel this at white, seems to me more like a blue ability, specially because it reminds me of cards like Propaganda.

>>60826788
Not sure if I feel this as a keyword, because I don't see this working that nicely on a deck full of it. I think this is an interesting mechanic for a singular card, or even for several cards like the Browbeat effect, but as a keyword, I feel its too specific and multiple cards with this might make the gameplay feel really weird. Also, unless this was splashing on white, I would change the reminder effect to this:
> When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, destroy target creature unless its controller have you draw two cards.
I think black wouldn't keep the creature alive just waiting until the opponent decides to pay back OR kill the kidnapper. I think it would straight forward either get what it wants, or kill the target. But again, I feel like this effect would feel better if it was done like the Browbeat series, destroying creatures if their controller don't do what you want.

>Thanks. I like making commons; I think they are a challenge to make interesting/fun.
Wished more people would feel this way.
>>
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>60807872
>>60809116
New version (pic related). Basically rewording from >>60809332

>>60809563
>Maybe just add one mana of the top card's colors?
You mean, in addition to whatever that land would add? The purpose of this card is to fuck with your mana and create unbalance.

>Regardless, I'm not a big fan of doing this in U.
That is exactly why this card replaces the mana being added rather than adding additional mana. Green adds new mana and create new lands. Blue manipulates both mana, color and lands, but by replacing/altering already existing cards rather than creating new thing. If I was to create this card as green, it would be:
> Play with the top card of your library revealed.
> Lands you control have "T: Add one mana of any one of the top card of your library's color"
But as you can see, this simply gives you access to mana of new colors. That is mainly the difference of green and blue when it comes to these effects - green adds, blue manipulates. Also, that runs away from what I'm trying to do.
>>
File: Deceitful Lender.jpg (45 KB, 375x523)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
still looking for a good picture for this card. but i still hope you like the idea.
>>
>>60827904
> Use this ability only during the target players turn
This should be: "Use this ability only during that player's turn". No need to re-target the player, specially because this might really change the meaning (if you are making a new target, maybe you can assign another player to this new target, huh?)

Now, about the abilities.... well, I think you could simply make it draw a card. You can only use the ability once per turn, and you need to give something to the opponent that can be either used against you, or just sacrificed. I think a straight forward "Draw a card" is a good way to go. Also, I would change the effect of the first ability to:
(u/r), T: Target player gains control of target permanent you OWN until end of turn. (...)
That is because sometimes you might be able to lend things that are not even under your control, or re-lend shit, and I think that is funny. If you have two guys of these, you can lend your opponent a creature, then lend it back to yourself, and still get 2 cards. I mean, if that ain't deceitful, I don't know what is.
>>
File: JokeCard.png (265 KB, 375x523)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
I think it's time to post my joke card, then.
>>
File: download.jpg (220 KB, 1125x523)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
Which one of these would you make Mythic Rare, and why? I need to promote one to Mythic
>>
>>60828329
had to reword the first one to add "without paying their mana cost"
>>
>>60828316
>joke card
I don't think this is good, even as a joke. I can see someone starting a fight over this card, which isn't really something I would want my game to be promoting. Think about this scenario:
> joe gets this card and think it would be funny to use it on his friend
> uses it on a very common and old card, because he don't want to ruin a valuable card
> friend gets REALLY mad because, even though that card was common and old, it had personal value to him
> punches were thrown, both got kicked out of the only MtG store on their town
> to this day, they have never played together ever again
Seriously, I love all my cards with all my heart, and to ruin one of them would really upset me. For instance, many years ago, I was playing on our usual spot in my school and some douche decided to walk over or game and stepped on my Soul Collector, which was morphed, and completely fucked it up. The only reason I didn't beat him senseless was because he was the younger brother of a friend of mine. Now, if someone intentionally ruined a card of mine, even if it was a really cheap common, I would certainly attempt to ruin his face.

But ultimately, my point is that this card promotes a type of joke that some people might think its funny/ok, while others might think its not ok at all. That is the sort of joke you want to avoid.
>>
>>60828416
I understand, i created it more as a joke to read about than as a joke to really bring in real life.

Thanks for the feedback, though.
>>
>>60828329
Why the targeting restrictions on Spellbook?
>>
>>60828670
>Why the targeting restrictions on Spellbook?
Because I think it might be confusing how to choose random targets for a multiple targeting spell. For instance, if you are casting Arc Lightning, how many target will I choose as random? Do the player gets to choose the number of targets, or is it chosen as random as well? If its targeting two creatures, how do we choose which one it does 2 damage to, and which one it does 1 damage? Things like that might makes the card very confusing and ambiguous. I think its the exactly same reason why Grip of Chaos only change targets of single target spells.
>>
>>60819349
How does it have that name and it isn't an Eye? Also, it should be All-Seeing, with a dash.
>>
>>60828929
Don't cast at random then. Besides, there are already gray areas as to how many targets a spell has before it's cast. For instance, what about spells that normally have a single target, but you can pay an additional cost to give them another target?
>>
>>60828956
>Don't cast at random then
Then the card gets too strong. The only thing balancing it right now is the fact that the spells target things randomly, which means that some might target you or your cards, even though the majority of the effects will be beneficial to you. Otherwise, this would be completely broken.

>Besides, there are already gray areas as to how many targets a spell has before it's cast
Not sure it does

>For instance, what about spells that normally have a single target, but you can pay an additional cost to give them another target?
Such what? Give me an example, and we see how it behaves from there.

> Strive?
Those cards are multiple target cards and won't be casted.
> Overload?
The overload ability can't be used, so it will be treated as a single target spell.
>>
>>60828329
spellbook, but get rid of single target requirements
>>
>>60829101
>Such what? Give me an example, and we see how it behaves from there.
Fight with Fire.
>>
>>60829165
or maybe just make exile effect only affect single-target spells in the first place
>>
>>60829179
>>60829101
Oh, Splice is another gray area.
>>
>>60829198
>>60829165
These both run into issues when it comes to randomly choosing targets.
>>
>>60829233
No, just exile no-target and single-target spells.
>>
>>60829165
>Fight with Fire.
>>60829224
>Oh, Splice is another gray area.
Well, I'm not a MtG judge or specialized in very specific rulings. I honestly have no idea of what it would happen with either of these. Though I think this very same discussion is valid for Grip of Chaos, so there is probably a ruling out that says what happens with these.

>>60829198
>or maybe just make exile effect only affect single-target spells in the first place
The exact same gray areas would happen. The player could have casted Fight with Fire as single target, or still just splice with arcane a card that has 1 or more targets, adding more targets to it.

>>60829165
>spellbook, but get rid of single target requirements
There's a whole discussion about it, but its mostly a balancing reason. The random choosing of targets is not to make it fun or "lol so random", its to balance it. Otherwise I think the power to recast everything is way too strong.

>>60829233
>These both run into issues when it comes to randomly choosing targets.
Do you know how these examples are handled?
>>
>>60829508
Fight with Fire, cast un-Kicked, single target. Resolves, exile. Sac Spellbook, cast Fight with Fire, but Kick it this time. Now what?
>>
>>60829516
>There's a whole discussion about it, but its mostly a balancing reason. The random choosing of targets is not to make it fun or "lol so random", its to balance it. Otherwise I think the power to recast everything is way too strong.
Maybe attach a cost to exile? Then it would be a bit more similar to Izzet Chemister, though still far from a perfect match.
>>
>>60829516
>Though I think this very same discussion is valid for Grip of Chaos, so there is probably a ruling out that says what happens with these.
I didn't see this earlier, but Grip of Chaos isn't applicable here because it works different. Grip looks at the behavior of a spell or ability on the stack. That's after all the choices are made that could affect how many targets it has. Spellbook is trying to make a prediction about the number of targets a card will have when it's cast as a spell, before the choices are made, making it much harder to predict, and in my opinion, completely unworkable within Magic.
>>
File: dragons.jpg (363 KB, 1875x523)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
>>
>>60816504
>but I wouldn't be overly surprised to learn there's an instant-death 6 cards stack even with the random order
Doomsday is already a thing.
>>
>>60830528
>W
This runs into Substance issues. If you really want to keep this, make the toughness boost 0, or get rid of the P/T boost altogether.

>U
Doesn't help that Formidable has only ever been on creatures.
>>
File: Equivalent Exchange6.jpg (40 KB, 375x523)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Changed activated ability to end step triggered ability. Since people didn't like the flavor text or art, I removed the flavor text and changed the art.

Art is placeholder for now, so if you have any complaints about the art, you're just wasting your breath.

Will probably change the name in the future as well. Wicked Exchange? Infernal Exchange?
>>
>>60830591
>Doesn't help that Formidable has only ever been on creatures.
Formidable was on spells, wasn't it? There was a constructed level counter spell iirc.

I'm not him, but can you explain the substance thing? I heard about it with other auras but I'm not sure I understand it. Just purely out of curiosity.
>>
>>60831301
Oh, I just remembered there was also ferocious. Man those mechanics are confusing. I think the one I was thinking of was Ferocious.
>>
>>60831301
>Substance
OK, basically the problem is due to a difference of when the Aura gets removed, and when damage dealt to a creature is removed. During the end phase, there are two steps, the end step, and the cleanup step, in that order. Aura bounces at the end step, damage gets removed at the cleanup step. So, say you have some 2/2 creature, then put Kolaghan's Grace onto it using Dash. Now it's 3/3. Say it gets Shocked, now there's 2 damage on it. End step comes, and the Aura gets bounced. Problem is, that 2/2 still has 2 damage marked on it, and the state-based action to destroy it occurs before the damage can be removed, so it dies due to the damage.

The name I used, Substance, is taken from a bit of Magic trivia, the least influential keyword ever made, not only because it literally didn't do anything, but also because there's not a single card that has the keyword printed on it. Wizards made some Auras for Mirage and Visions that had the ability to be cast instant-speed, but with a downside: You'd have to sac them when the turn ended. It worked OK for a while, but due to some changes in Magic and how the steps and phases of a turn worked, Wizards realized they'd just stumbled into the issue I noted above. They decided to come up with Substance. The way Substance worked was that if you cast any of those Auras I mentioned at instant-speed, the would gain Substance until EOT, and another ability that said when they lost Substance, they get sacced. Since EOT effects end during the cleanup step and not the end step (weird, I know), this allowed the Auras to work as intended.

But eventually, Wizards realized Substance was beyond useless, so they just openly referred to the cleanup step and got rid of Substance entirely. You can see this on pic related, which previously had Substance, as well as on Cunning, an unrelated card that never had Substance, AFAIK, but runs into the same issues with damage as mentioned earlier.
>>
bump
>>
File: Custom cards 8 - pacts.jpg (417 KB, 1247x349)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
Join Force is a cute mechanic, but the way it's been used, it's pretty obvious to every player whether they ought to pay 0 or all available mana. This is my attempt at creating more interesting decisions. (The UG is a mess, ignore.)

(really old stuff, thus the watermark, but I guess everyone who saw it is gone now)
>>
>>60827432
>I get what you are doing here, but as a common, I would make this come into the battlefield untapped.
Eh, I feel the opposite. Sorry.
>Noblesse
That's interesting, because I originally wasn't going to make it an 'N' keyword, but then I thought it might be too narrow that way, and I kinda liked the idea of the different 'N' levels representing the different sorts of nobility. A king might have Noblesse 4, while a member of his vanguard only Noblesse 1, for example. But I'm not at all opposed to just making it a tax of 2. Also, given the thread edition, I thought making a keyword that felt a bit blue but fit in white as well would be apropos. Ghostly Prison has been reprinted just as often if not more than Propaganda, and they do the same thing in W and U respectively. So I think I'm fine here. It also being able to put into blue is just icing.
>ransom
I pointed basically all of what you said here out in my first post with it. I did it because it was less verbose than writing it all out. I didn't want to just do a 'browbeat murder' because again, thread edition and I was testing myself. Though now I realize that not only does the second version of it allow you to change the cost to ransom the exiled card, ransom can target other permanents too, potentially. That opens space to use it in other colors. Say, blue targeting artifacts, as an example. Might be fun.
>commons
It's really kind of difficult to make a common that's mechanically and flavorfully interesting. I like the challenge but I strike out more than I succeed, sad to say.
>Earnest Squire
Simple, and it works. I think I wouldn't make it a squire though; squires tend to their knights, so it not passing on buffs to represent handing off the lance/watching for foul play from the opponent feels like a flavor miss. Mechanically it's sound but I'd make it 'Eager Recruit' or something instead and change the flavor text.
>>
>>60829555
What "what". You choose the targets at random.
>>
>>60830528
>U
Counter target spell.
Formidable - This spell costs {1}{U} less to cast if creatures you control have total power 8 or greater.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.