[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: homebrewchannel.png (77 KB, 620x316)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
Whatcha workin' on, anon?
>>
A game about Tibetan Buddhist Baseball.
>>
>>60788952
Everything is so rules-light it barely matters, but steampunk mechs fighting prehistorical monsters. I have no idea how to balance PCs skills, though, because I want a bunch of them to be scientists first and pilots/soldiers second (or not at all).
>>
>>60788952
A setting about civil war in not-Russia/China after the Chosen One killed the immortal tyrannical emperor that ruled the land for the last hundreds years. Largely inspired by real life civil wars in Russia, Span and China
>>
>>60788952
A game about being thrust into a recognizable world that doesn't always make sense, and having to both explore its secrets and oddities while setting up a home front that will allow you to survive if you end up being unable to escape the world.

It's life.
>>
Recreating and replacing many of the races and their traits for a 5e campaign. There are no half-races (due to isolation and time constraints, not necessarily incompatibility), so no half-elves or half-orcs, though the latter is replaced by ogres, who are effectively barbarian-sorcerer kings, being one of only two races with a Charisma bonus.

Other examples include dwarven druids with a Nordic slant that can temporarily grow or shrink to large or small size, as well as elven warrior-scholars that consumed the flame of their burning mother tree, becoming something akin to the setting's tieflings, while the lower caste of elves that hid in the shadows while the mother tree burned now paint themselves in the ashes of the fallen, living among the petrified remains of their once glorious homeland.

There's also a race of halflings cursed with exuberance by their dark and fickle god, that were then freed by the solitary god of the merfolk, with whom they now share many maritime traditions.
>>
Skirmish game about werewolves fighting each other inspired by Bloodborne.
>>
File: 636601916674777706.png (453 KB, 724x1000)
453 KB
453 KB PNG
>>60788952
Oblex for Pathfinder, and kineticist for 5e
its like being bilingual except its autism instead of languages
>>
>>60788952
A couple of campaign ideas, mostly. Been debating getting back to work on my Megaman Battle Network TTRPG I've been working off-and-on for about 5 years.
>>
A Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash game using Shadow of the Demon Lord. Just fleshing out the map and encounters.

A DCC dungeon set in an enchanted forest. Like, the forest itself is treated like a dungeon but the walls / impassable areas are basically aggressive and strong building sized walls of thorns.
>>
>>60788952
Anarcho Communist Man and an eccoterrorist leader.
I haven't decided their power sets yet because I haven't had any good ideas yet.

Those are placeholder names.
>>
Attempting to finish a twewy homebrew that some guys did years ago
Emphasis on "attempting"
>>
File: SoA.jpg (114 KB, 800x569)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Trying to make this into a setting / system.

So far I got rogue traders vehicle / ship rules and iron kingdoms multiple careers for customization.
What is a good magic system?
>>
>>60788952
A game in numenera based on the Israelite conquests from the POV of the other side. Facing an army half your size that routes you with the only armor they wear being blood.
>>
>>60793538
Look up Spheres of Power for pathfinder. The concept of different schools of magic that have base effects they can perform and a limited pool of boosting points is fun. Though really the psyker rules from 40k are fun too.
>>
>>60788952
a sci-fantasy game that's slowly coming close to a playable state
it's technically "playable" right now but only because I'd know how to make up monsters and shit for a quick internal playtest with some buddies
It's still missing a ton of stuff I want to pay attention to (namely tech, travel, downtime and crafting), but most of the core and the bare needs for the game to be somewhat playable are covered
>>
>>60794705
That might work what with the setting different moons as magic paths.
>>
File: 1527908963227.png (648 KB, 667x670)
648 KB
648 KB PNG
Freaking out over my next 5e game which still needs:
-a backup encounter for the PCs; just in case they get out of their current situation in some surprising way, rather than the almost railroading-way I expect it will go.
-a Skill Challenge for the railroad; which I have never done before.
-some interesting descriptions of some mcguffin-ish stuff they picked up - ie maybe explain what it is via dreaming about it while it's on their person.
-some story elements to keep the overarching plot coherent.
-and a freaking city with NPCs and stuff.
>>
I'm trying to make a campaign in 5e where the PC's are apart of an archaic radio station, and are reporters for this station.
>>
5e version of Darksun's a Defiling magic coupled with a coruption/taint system .
>>
a world where humans drink fey's blood in order to cast spells.
>>
>>60795816 here
Anyone have any tips for an ’escape from the Underdark’ arc / Underdarky city adventures?

>>60795852
Lotta places you could go with that. Are you thinking they get sent off into war zones and are forced into helping? Is it one big social game about uncovering dirty politics with minimal fighting? What are you thinking?
>>
>>60794979
Looking good, anon. I've only skimmed it but it is fairly straightforward and strikes a good balance between "comprehensive" and "rules-light".

Me, I'm trying to keep on task - juggling my home and work life with a novel that's trying to write itself in whatever spare seconds my brain finds, and reining in my somewhat ambitious and berserk approach to homebrewing (which started off as "let's tweak one rule" but, like Topsy, has just growed).
>>
>>60788952
My /qst/ and tabletop game, I want to make an app that does all the hard work for me but I'm still just learning.

Here are some figurines
>>
>>60794979
This is actually really cool, this is how i want my rule book to look. Did you draw everything yourself?
>>
>>60796256
These look great, any other shots?
>>
>>60788958
I just wanna say you're a goddamn hero, Anon. I'll probably never get to play it, or even understand it entirely, but I fucking love that game concept.
>>
>>60796076
>Looking good, anon. I've only skimmed it but it is fairly straightforward and strikes a good balance between "comprehensive" and "rules-light".
Thanks anon, that level of crunch is exactly what I'm aiming for so it's nice to see i'm on the right track

>>60796320
>Did you draw everything yourself?
Nah, the images are placeholder art taken from art threads on the board that kinda capture what I want to convey, specially the cover one
I'm an artist so I'll be able to work ln my own illustrations in the future, but for now these images will do just fine. Here's hoping I achieve 1/10th of the quality these pictures have though
>>
File: 20171016_165207.jpg (2.55 MB, 4128x2322)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
>>60796435
I'm phoneposting from school so I don't, I made this one for some guy in the draw thread a while back though.
>>
>>60788952
Trying to put together my own dieselpunk/dungeonpunk hybrid genred campaign setting for 5e. Running into the old "can't see the forest for the trees" problem with it.
>>
File: atoma4.png (1.09 MB, 1361x1773)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>60788952
a 15mm sci fi skirmish system because I can't find one i like.
>>
>>60797328
cool cover, do you have a tentative PDF to check out?
>>
>>60797397
not right now. It's nothing groundbreaking , Essentially a d10 system, 10 being the goal for all actions. you build a unit by picking core archetype, sub type and gear, which give you your core stats and modifiers.

I'll be sure to post a PDF here when i have one that reads like more than a mish mash of notes.
>>
>>60788952
I have decided to scrap the game I've been working on since 2011.
And by scrap I mean spin it into two separate games.

1) Fire Emblem x Legends of the Wulin. Plenty of bits of each, but it's going to be a much lighter and tactical combat focused combination. LotW does a lot well, but I'm not going to recreate 250+ pages of rules-lore.

2) Fantasy post-apoc game about crafting and vices. Everything needs to be built, from spells, to equipment, and maybe even villages. Lots of charts and tables for procedural generation, hopefully to the point it can become GM-less. Character's vices will define them, and you'll accrue penalties if you aren't selfish and feed your addictions. The point will be to overcome those obstacles despite not being "mathematically optimal"

3) I also have a modern air force, skirmish RPG in the vein of Ace Combat, but I've had that on hold for awhile now.
>>
>>60788952
Bored at work, I decided to rework some things. I ended up writing 14 custom classes, custom rules, feats, spells, races, and a bit of a custom monster list.

None of it will ever get used.
>>
Maybe this thread can help me... I've been intending to have a culture of dragonborn based on the Oriental Dragons of D&D in my setting. But, the more I think about it, the less interesting they actually are. I don't even know how to mechanically handle them, given how wigged out the oriental dragon crunch is!

The oriental region already has plenty of races on it. Imperial tigerfolk, wukong-based monkeyfolk, kitsune gypsies, tanuki, deerfolk... really, the dragonborn feel superfluous.

Plus, the dragons went extinct eons ago in my setting, to the point that the closest thing to them still in existence are their kobold servitors and the gorgons, which are elves violently mashed up with fragments of dragon souls.

So, should I pull the Oriental Dragonborn from my racial list?
>>
The same setting I've been working on for three and a half years now.

>tfw will never ever actually do anythign with it.
>>
I should review my old systems; got the weirdest possible feedback I could get... My players liked it more before, when I was a bit more honest and a bit less experienced in how games are made. Doesn't help I made like 20 revisions of my system, going from dicepool to 2d6 to 1d20+d6, etc; and all sorts of other shit. 6+ years of haphazard shoddy work, but it's my haphazard shitpile.

>>60798883
If it's good work, it is valuable because you'll later on mix/match/experience through a problem that will crop up on you.
>>
File: yu gi oh.jpg (736 KB, 2000x800)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
>>60788952
A rules lite RPG supplement to be played alongside games of Yu-Gi-Oh, where you use your character's drama and over the top actions to give you a pool of points you can use to cheat like crazy, starting with things like looking at your deck or your opponents hands, to going up to adding entirely new sets of rules to the current game. It's meant to emulate the nonsense that is anime yugioh, and it's been lots of fun.

>>60796071
For Escape from the Underdark/Underdark adventures in general, I'd go with putting a lot of emphasis on light and light sources as a very valuable thing. Monsters an see in the dark, but the players can't, so have that be a target for monsters to take out. Additionally, the nature of caves and underground areas to have lots of stalactites/stalagmites which you can use as difficult terrain, cover, and obstacles. Play around with creatures and enemies that know the area better than the players.
>>
I working on a one shot for a my system. I need puzzle ideas though
>>
>>60799847
Never really liked puzzles. What kind? Magical, old ruin, cipher, something? Riddles? (i fucking hate those)
Stealing from a video game is usually straightforward and fun, even if cliched.
>>
Working on a game about demon summoning. The general idea is that demons don't always go for souls and many weaker demons do a bunch of shit jobs for low pay or weird items to trade to another demons/people. The idea seems sound but I'm working on mechanics that dictate what kind of resources the players have and how these demon tasks improve the player's lives. IE I want a scenario where the player summoning a demon to vacuum their house in exchange for a roll of tape has a tangible mechanical benefit.

I also have this game I want to polish up a bit more. After sitting down and actually playing a game of Bloodpouch I'm worried that Flock's dice resolution system is too simple and would lead to some boring turns.
>>
>>60799994
Any really. One location is an underwater cave and other is a mountain temple. The cave is the hard area to think about
>>
>>60788952
I'm working on a card game, can I post that here?
>>
>>60800453
Go ahead anon, that's certainly homebrew.
>>
>>60799362 Underdark-interested guy here.

Thanks for the ideas man. Those PC goofs already have a caster or 3 with a light cantrip, but I'm digging the idea of monsters who can actually see in darkness as if it were no problem while the PCs with darkvision and stupid cantrips are left with "lightly obscured" vision (disadvantage on perception checks) without a light. And plausible cover everywhere sounds fun.

>>60799847
Teleportation and timers are my favorite.
>>
File: pokergame.jpg (456 KB, 761x1041)
456 KB
456 KB JPG
>>60800453
>>60800473
Its called Road. Its like a mix of texas holdem and rummy. the cards in the middle are called "the road" and get flipped up one at a time. after each card is flipped there's a round of betting, and then each player discards one card face up, adding onto the road and draws another. players can bump cards as they're discarded and form hands (pairs, three of a kinds, straights, etc) and claim them for themselves and removing them from the road. after the 3rd card is turned up there's a final betting round but no discards, player with the best hands wins the pot
>>
>tfw this thread is a lot better and comfier than the regular /gdg/
>>
>>60800602
It's a much more open and casual format which increases the chance of anons sharing their stuff.
>>
>>60800663
i wonder if keeping these up and plugging the discord link but otherwise dropping the whole capital G general vibe with the links and shit would keep the same openness that this thread has
because i like this, a lot
>>
Future campaign setting stuff mostly. Working on a water-world style setting at the moment where the the planets poles were melted after they used a super weapon to defeat a death cult by blasting a continent sized chunk out of their moon
>>
>>60799010
I'd say if you're having doubts go with your gut and drop them. You could always just move them to an isolated island or somewhere else in the world if you want to put them in later after giving the idea some time to sit.
>>
File: maxresdefault(2).jpg (194 KB, 1280x720)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>60788952
I recently started writing up a homebrew system as a fun little mental exercise. Cribbed most of the basics from 5e and Dungeon Crawl Classics and went from there:

>2d10 instead of 1d20
Makes criticals rarer and stronger, all dice explode for higher average roll.

>Progressive success system
Nearly all rolls have degrees of success beyond just beating the DC, which allows for heroic lucky moments.

>Duo classes
There are nine subclasses, and everyone combines two to make their class. So if you want to be a naked Conan barbarian, you take Body Mastery & Rage; if you want to be a lucky rogue, you take Thievery & Fates.

>DCC's Mighty Deeds
Fighters can easily perform crazy action stunts, and at higher levels are all but guaranteed to cripple any mook they can get near. Supposed to really close the distance between martials and casters.

>Make your own spells
Instead of having a giant list of spells (vanacian casting, I think it's called?) there's instead a list of spell components you can gather. Verbs (Create, Destroy, Send, etc) combine with nouns (Fire, Stone, Metal, Thought, etc) to use however you want. So, Send Light can be a basic flare, or a distract an enemy, or act like a weak laser attack. The degree of success limits what you can do, but otherwise it's pretty open-ended.

Honestly, I'm kind of proud of it, got almost everything down besides an actual setting... too bad it'll never actually get played.
>>
>>60788952
magic schools and surrounding cities transported to a pocket universe. After 1k years or civil/cold wars they form an alliance drive back a new darkness.
>>
>>60800545
Huh, seems fun. I've always liked flip-up style poker games, with a personal favorite being the absolute shitfest of a betting/bluffing game that is 7 card no-look blind with my uncles. Seven cards on the table, flip them up one by one, can swap any of the un-flipped ones for the deck each round. It's complete horseshit, but so much fun.
>>
File: 1465880208292.jpg (46 KB, 640x480)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>60788983
>steampunk mechs fighting prehistorical monsters
Pic related

>I have no idea how to balance PCs skills, though, because I want a bunch of them to be scientists first and pilots/soldiers second (or not at all).
I've been reading nWoD, and my first thought is to maybe treat science like investigations there. PCs have a suite of specialized science skills that they use outside of combat to set things up and get a drop on the beasts, and maybe the actual mechs would be Voltron-like where all the PCs work together and their science skills take on new uses.
>>
>>60788983
The problem with mech focused games is that for the most part everyone is either going to want a mech or will want to be an important part of the crew for a single mech. There's been a few systems like Cthulhutech where they try to throw mech and non-mech playstyles into the same game, and unless you willing to do some intense juggling what usually happens is one side has to wait for long stretches of time while the other gets the spotlight.

For instance, when Steambot 500 is fighting a T-rex, I'd assume this is going to take a moderate amount of game time. Assuming 1 pilot and 4 non-pilots, the pilot himself is going to be taking up a disproportionate amount of game time.
>>
>>60801794
how do you win in that game?
>>
I get annoyed with nu40k canon about how set-in-stone that Daemons are, and so I try to treat the Chaos Gods like Unknowable, All-Encompassing Eldritch beings that care not for the affairs of mortals. Instead, their Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes, instilled with a single facet of the core god's power, are the beings that actually do most of the proselytizing, cult-forming, gift-giving, and naming of Champions in the mortal realm.

As a result, there could, for example, be cults dedicated to Nurgle's aspects of Entropy and Nature which are actually opposed to one-another to come into conflict, potentially due in part to the fact that they serve completely different masters that simply pull on the same pool for their powers.

Not only that but their servant forms would be fairly divergent from those of their compatriots, although they might share *some* core aspects.

So you have things like Khorne's Daemon Prince of Loyalty and Protective Instinct: the Beast of Hierarchy, pic related, and instead of typical "Red hobgoblins with long heads and horns and big fire swords" it has a dedicated cadre of Daemonic Gnoll Amazons festooned in trophies and finery that carry plain weapons of scarred black iron, killing tools and nothing more.
>>
Finally got back to working on Rated M For Manly. I'm doing a proper draft of the rules as well as re-wording some of the cards and then some basic card designs. Unfortunately i cant really do the art because there's over 200 cards. And that's not including expansion ideas. Granted expansions are a long time off at this point.
>>
>>60802296
Mostly by getting your opponents to fold. It's still a regular variation of poker, and so the trick is using what you have on the board and what the other players have to estimate your chances of getting the cards you need, or bluffing the cards you don't. There's also a variation we play with five cards on the table and two in your hand that you can't change out, which can be a bit more tactical when you lay them all down for the reveal.
>>
>>60800842
Thanks, anon. It's always hard for me to make decisions like this.
>>
>>60802415
I'm not familiar with Rated M for Manly, but I like the name. What's it about anon?
>>
>>60802008
That’s a good start, I’ll have to look into using science skills while piloting for more diverse options!
And although I find combining mechs not really fitting for steampunk, the test players and I have already decided to put two people into each mech.

>>60802229
I’m currently trying to remedy this by giving everyone a secondary vehicle/mount to use so they can always do something. I just hope the characters who specced into mech fighting aren’t going to dominate all fighting and then be useless for investigation or social scenes.
>>
>>60788952
A hexcrawl for 5e, and a boss for a different 5e games, meant to fight bout eight powergamed level twenty characters.

not going to say too much because some of my dudes probably browse here, but he's immune or resistant to all but one damage types, most conditions, has the rakshasa's limited magic immunity, damage thresholds on most damage he's resistant to, immutable form, immune to anything that affects his mind or soul, and possession, truesight, what's basically detect thoughts combined with detect magic on constantly but way more precise, a 120 foot jump, redcap's outsize strength but it turns him huge instead of medium...

and i still think he needs a ton more to even stand a chance of winning against that many characters. Not that i'm trying to make them lose, but i want the boss to be able to wreck them extremely hard, so a victory feels well-earned
>>
>>60805949
It's a card based rpg where the players are action heroes in an 80s action movie.
It's rules light and easy setup.

The cards are all action movie tropes that help or hinder the players. Like "manly handshake" which gives a bonus for when you first meet another player.
>>
>>60800280
You gonna have to do something with diving and water pressure or something, don't waste the water temple
>>
Trying to decide the rules for my fantasy heartbreaker.
>>
>>60806813
Separate mech fighting and investigation/social into two unrelated power pools. That way you won't have mech combat taking away from the investigation/social, and players will be competent at both.
>>
File: 1531311659131.jpg (40 KB, 600x600)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>60788952
Given all the ideas stuffed into my head right now that didn't have enough of an outlet in that Devil May Cry thread

I'm going to be starting work on a DMC inspired, semi-cooperative deck building game

Core mechanic is
>draw cards from your deck
>when you play them, they go on the Combo Stack
>Some cards cost Combo to activate, which means you move them from the Combo Stack to discard
>Enemies both deal damage to you, and break your combo
>Also a bunch of other cards for like defensive reactions, taunting to manipulate your deck, and so on
>>
File: 1509981299892.jpg (352 KB, 1153x1600)
352 KB
352 KB JPG
>>60788952
I try to create magic system for the Riddle of Steel under the same premise of interactivity and resource management. What I got so far:
>Interrupting holy magic with blasphemy at the risk of pissing off the gods
>Placing wards upon people and places which work like armor against magic
>Magician may attempt to redirect or change the spell as it's casted but can't stop it entirely this way
>Formulated spells have fixed efficiency, they can't produce stronger effect than their power level but can be weaker if they were performed poorly
>Instead of using formulated spells, magician may use poetry to weave spells as they see fit but this method is open to fumbles and counter-measures by opponents
>>
Have a thing I made
>>
>>60818516
On my phone, what is thing?
>>
>>60818811
as my friend so concisely put it, it's a MtGttRPG
basically a roleplaying shell around Magic the Gathering. Rules for how to use cards outside of combat and character advancement. I tried to make it as unobtrusive as possible to normal MtG rules so you only have to learn the roleplaying bits and not worry about more bookkeeping during normal MtG play.
>>
File: 1515606497795.png (261 KB, 357x326)
261 KB
261 KB PNG
>>60788952
>Scrapped my pulp western setting and story because I have no idea how to make the genre fun
>Build up a modified GURPS neofeudal cyberpunk game and setting
>Most of the backstory is centered around boring in-universe politics that's more of a road map for key NPC behaviors than anything
>Still not satisfied with the starting session I've planned
>Game starts tomorrow
>>
>>60788952
A heroic fantasy RPG that I've been working on bit by bit for a few years.
Started off as an AD&D hack, but I've been kind of implementing a few more complex features, removing classes and other little things while trying to keep the fantastical elements in and accessible. Toying around with restructuring all of the math and removing the d20 for either a d6 or d100 based system.

A sci-fi setting but that's mostly just an outlet for stray ideas.

And modifying Rifts to make it more suitable for my group's needs.
>>
File: 1385091900356.png (393 KB, 617x508)
393 KB
393 KB PNG
>>60816222
Sounds cuhrazy, anon. You better keep working on it.
>>
My own Exalted type. Up to 230 pages now :)
>>
>>60820508
I plan to have a printed out copy within 3 weeks, gotta move houses first though.
>>
File: radically rad.jpg (29 KB, 189x181)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>60816222
>MtG but everyone's playing Storm
consider me interested
>>
>>60788952
I'm working on Star Wars modules for Warbirds. This is where my Fighters module is at. I'll post Capitals after.
>>
>>60820928
They both share the same front page. I wouldn't worry too much about that; I did actually post different PDFs.
>>
>>60820778
>>60820508
I'm just going to run through some of the rules I've been thinking of if you don't mind throwing some feedback at me. In no particular order...

>Start by drawing 3 cards, you end every turn by first discarding any number of cards and drawing that many, then drawing two more
>If you deck yourself, you discard all of your cards, shuffle up again, and lose your turn

>3 main categories of cards, Attacks, Reactions, and Taunts
>Attacks are almost universally 2 modes
>Quick Attack/Heavy attack (either a 0 damage that draws a card and lets you play another, or 1 damage and lets you play another)
>second mode is the combo play that afflicts some status effect plus big damage
>Reactions are pulled out of your hand to negate/redirect/something an attack from the enemy instead of getting your shit pushed in
>Taunts are abilities based on manipulating the mechanics of the game, like returning discarded cards to the combo stack

>all players have a Character Card that denotes which two gear pieces they are using, and how much Damage and Style points they have
>If you have X damage, you can add 1 damage to X attacks each turn, which makes quick attacks actually do damage
>If you have X Style, you can play X taunts each turn
>These X's would be extremely low, like 1-3

>Deck Building is based on the unique gear you're using
>Queen's Rose would have say, 10 optional cards specific to it, as well as the 20 core Sword cards, but can only contribute 20 to your deck
>Your body can have a stance which gives Limit Break esque abilities to burn through your combo stack for damage
>>
>>60801562
Wtf that actually sounds amazing. Post it sometime when you're happy with it?
>>
What kinds of mechanics can you come up with using Dominoes?
>>
Trying to figure out how to make professional looking pdfs and the legality of selling shit on drivethruRPG

hold me
>>
worldbuilding so my 5e setting has some unique bits like a massive as fuck city made entirely from crystal, with a Rose Quartz Tower that reaches up inth the sky feuling all the magi infrastructure of the city
>>
File: CircleOfCinders.pdf (737 KB, PDF)
737 KB
737 KB PDF
>>60788952
I have some sub-classes for 5e i've been working on, haven't play tested yet so the later abilities are probably either OP or too weak, if anyone has critique please go ahead.
>>
File: VenomConclave.pdf (904 KB, PDF)
904 KB
904 KB PDF
>>60826699
And the other.
>>
>>60789285
Stop.
>>
>>60825630
If you're doing DnD-esque stuff check out The Homebrewery.
>>
>>60788952
Building my first setting, characters, and world. Having trouble avoiding characters that boil down to They're (type of) undead BUT...
>>
>>60788952
Running some field tests for a bunch of homebrew monsters I shamelessly stole from Diablo. Afterwards I'm thinking of homebrewing some other creatures to improve my monster creation skills; current candidates are the Tuunbaq from "The Terror" and the Angel of Death from Hellboy 2.
Also DMing a Pathfinder campaign with a homebrew necromancer class, at this moment.
>>
>>60826699
Name three druid spell that does single target fire damage above 1st level
>>
>that feel when you're operating on a paradigm that makes things unnecessarily complicated
>that feel when you become aware of it and the solution is simple
Holy crap.
Just don't have a wizard class. How did I not think of this before?
>>
>>60827588

Nobody wants to play your game now. Magic is fun and an important part of games.
>>
>>60789385
I want this. Give it to me
>>
>>60827588
But who is going to use magic?
>>
Right now i'm working on the first adventure of my first time as DM. We start playing on sunday and i still only have a few maps and a basic outline of whats gonna happen, if they do what i think they are going to do, which doesn't seem very likely knowing the way players think.

The basic idea is that a count in the northernmost part of the continent has issued a request for any strong people to gather at his mansion and undertake a special mission, in return for phat stacks of course.
The mission is slaying the evil Blizzard King, who have returned from whatever not-alive state it was in. The party has the find a way to get chosen for the mission, and then travel north into glazier country while fighting zombies and various ice-monsters until they reach the Blizzard King's castle.
That's it. I'm not very good at describing the basic gist and making it sound interesting.
>>
Just thinking of an alternative way to do stats for rolls and stuff.
Basically, you have your typical STR, INT, CON etc. which are a fixed number that represents your highest capacity for an action utilising that attribute. For example, a guy with 20 STR might be able to lift a car, or suplex an ogre.
For checks, you roll a d10 and a percentage die, and the result represents the percentage of your max you are able to use for the given action being checked.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea given how hard it is to quantify something like strength or dexterity. I'd have to find a way to make the difficulty of any action known within the system so you even know if 87% of your dex would suffice to do a cool wall-flip.
>>
>>60825361
Well. It depends on what parts make up a domino and how they interact.
Each domino has two sides with zero to six pips each. They are two sides so they can be randomized or hide their information.
The most common way to play with dominoes involves matching sides together and creating chains. Perhaps a resolution system based on how long s chain you can create with subchains adding additional effects? EX you have a skill level of 7 in sword swinging so to swing your sword you draw 7 dominoes and try to create as long a chain as possible. The length of your chain determines hit chance/damage and the number/size of sub chains determines additional effects like bleeding or decapitation. Would be possible to actually math out the chances of making an X length chain for each number of tiles drawn so it would be easy to balance/scale difficulty.
>>
File: Metaplanes.png (113 KB, 1828x1303)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>60788952
>>
>>60821095
>to eliminate an enemy from the board, you have to wound off every point card from the enemy deck
>every time you wound an enemy you draw their next AI card, which can be a retaliation
>if you deck the enemy they get a special attack, you get to draw a card, and then you shuffle all discarded cards (bot won cards) and put the deck back down
>so as you score points off the enemy, he will be drawing more and more attacks instead of whiffing their turn
>they keep going so long as there is at least one point card in their deck
Good idea or just self punishing?
>>
File: 1531481704290.jpg (74 KB, 615x825)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>60827798
But you can have magic without having a wizard class. Just make it heavily ritualistic, its benefits dubious, and available to everyone, while at the same time being hard to actually use for anything useful.

So to summon a demon, you need to:
> actually find the necessary summoning book (bonus points if it's an exceedingly rare book and there is only a few copies in eistence, so finding said book is a quest in itself),
>find the necessary resources and do the necessary preparations (anything from salt to gold, from special candles to virgin bard's tears, from a specific summoning circle to custom constructed room with inch-perfect dimensions that convey the Spatial Magical Principles of Demon Summoning)
>double-check your preparations (knowing that it can malfunction in the most dangerous and/or unpredicatable way even if you make the smallest mistake)
>conduct the ritual itself (which may take anywhere from minutes to months, and also has to be conducted in specific confditions, such as under full moon, in the anus of a dragon etc.),
>pray that you've done everything right and the correct demon will answer your call (the demonic realm is really fucking unpredictable, and who fucking knows, maybe there was a last second change of management on the other end of demonic connection)
> all that just so that you force someone on the other end of the country to get a really bad case of diarrhea or something
>>
>>60788952
Banged this out in about thirty minutes https://pastebin.com/ryQseauF

It's a system for tabletop Style Fighters, using regular decks of cards and a War style play-format
>>
File: 1503863668936.png (575 KB, 736x715)
575 KB
575 KB PNG
Wonder what ever happened to that Savage worlds Splatoon thing. Did that ever get done?
>>
Making a homebrew setting for a D&D campaign. I wasn't satisfied with any of the preexisting settings so I decided to create my own. It combines D&D creatures and races with the medieval aesthetic and concepts of Ars Magica. It's not intended to be original, just to have the feeling of "classic fantasy" with a more historical atmosphere.
>>
>>60829237
Las time that question was asked, I came up with a similar idea of just matching side to create chains. However, I had it where placing dominoes was at the encounter level and creating chains would help you reach nodes which represented goals and rewards. So by linking the nodes and their rewards, you were making both a physical and meta-physical map of the conflict.
>>
File: AltCover.png (2.89 MB, 1335x1600)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB PNG
>>60788952
Getting back to work on a lite RPG where you play a kid that gets wrapped up in supernatural shenanigans in a small town in the 1980s, a la Stranger Things, IT, Goonies, et al

Started this project ages ago, now thinking about changing basically everything

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.