[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Last /bgg/ thread:
>>60714369

/bgg/ Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8

Let's talk about your favorite games or add-ons (even if they needless and expensive). What is it that you spend more than you should on board gaming wise?

Speaking of needless and expensive - backing any Kickstarters?

>Inb4 RRRREEEEEE
>>
>>60790157
And don't miss these Anon's questions from the previous thread...

>>60790006

And

>>60790159
>>
File: 1529363472205.png (372 KB, 480x640)
372 KB
372 KB PNG
>>60790157
>backing any Kickstarters?
No, because I missed a fucking TWO WEEKS period and you can't late pledge to them. Then they go and make the discounted pre-order 25 dollars more than the pledge, AND they add 15 dollars to the shipping rate like it wasn't going to join the same shipment as the backers.
>>
>>60790157
> $2176 dice
> still uses the shittiest generic font for the numbers
It must be a really special kind of suck to have the money for exclusive luxury products and be offered low-effort crap like that all the time.
>>
>>60790157
>TQ
I tend to not support KS stuff. Too many projects focusing on 'exclusive' miniatures and showing them over half their KS page like it's the only thing they got for them selling their game. Seems to work though, my playgroup is usually hyoed about miniature-heavy games despite most of them turn out meh.
>>
Reposting because new thread:

>>60786320
Dice forge is very good. It's a short game so it doesn't drag for too long and it has neat interactions with the other players. You can screw with other people a little bit and take advantage from their rolls, so it's not a total solitaire game.

====
Also, have any of you played xenoshyft? I got dreadmire a while ago and had the opportunity to play with my father. He is into competitive stuff but he found the game pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>60790157
I backed Invader because I have none of the other zombicides and I dig the scifi setting. I'm tempted to back Four Souls because I really enjoy BoI but that whole campaign is amateurish and smells like a trap.
>>
>>60790157
Not at the moment. I've stopped backing Kickstarters, and don't intend to ever start again. There are enough good games that already exist for me to spend my gaming budget on, so there is no need for Kickstarter. I was moderately tempted a few weeks back by the deluxe edition of Alhambra, but I stuck to my principles and don't regret doing so.
>>
>>60790157
Nah, because as you said, it's needless and usually expensive. Unless I know the designer and can expect a great product and mostly-timely delivery with a 90+% probability, I'd rather wait and buy the KS version later from my LGS for extra $$ instead of backing a cat in a sack.
>>
>>60790157
I spent way too much money on Kickstarter stuff, but so far nothing surpassed the 200€ for Cthulhu Wars. At least I got that to the table a few times already.

>Backing
I will probably get into the Binding of Isaac card game but apart from that, not a ton of stuff looks interesting.
>CMoNs newest plastic-fest
Is it just me or does this approach to Cthulhu do nothing for anyone else? And i come from a position of really loving Eric Lang's work.

Some other questions:
>What is the expansion you want the most at the moment? Do you want it to breathe new life into a game you've played to death or do you just want more?

>What game has the nicest non-miniature components?
Don't hate on other people's choices. Be cool and nice and stuff

And lastly:
> What IP do you really crave a good board game of?
>>
Behead those who support kickstarters.
>>
>>60790431
>What is the expansion you want the most at the moment?
Clash of Cultures Civilizations, for obvious reasons (it's an awesome upgrade and really hard to get for a non-scalp[er price)

>What game has the nicest non-miniature components?
Oh I'll get lots of shit for that one. Innovation 2nd edition. Nice compact box that perfectly fits sleeved cards, everything's marked stark and clearly, no ornamentation that would take away from the game I'M LOOKING AT YOU DELUXE EDITION. It's even got little symbols that are specific to each color, work as help for the colorblind, and are even labeled as such on player sheets. I'm very much a "function over form" guy and this game's fucking comfy in terms of function.

In today's "creative" climate? Nothing really, I'd rather design my own from scratch, fuckups and all, than see a setting I like reduced to another overproduced moneymaker marketed to morons.
If I could count on it actually being good, X-Com as a squad-tactics wargame with campaign elements and good asymmetrical scenarios. Specifically the old DOS X-Com and not the modern XCOM.
>>
>>60790609
>Innovation 2nd edition
And of course I meant the Asmadi one, I forgot that the Iello edition was a thing.
>>
>>60790159

The second edition as far as I recall includes some minor board market action changes, mostly involving the "become first player" action space, which I believe made it a more attractive option.

Really, it's more like edition 1.5. The first print sold out, and the second edition is a reprint with minor errata. Chances are, if you buy it new, you're getting the second edition. Even if you buy used too that may be the case, but if not I think they sell a sticker pack to update the market for first edition owners.
>>
So my wish list is getting bigger and bigger. I haven't gotten bitten by the oop bug yet but it will happen. Looking at you, Tannhauser. I really don't have the $$$ for all the games I want. What do /bgg/?
>>
>>60790157
I backed AEGIS last year and it should be shipping out next month. Pretty excited for that
>>
>>60790258
At least it isn't comic sans

>>60790431
>Is it just me or does this approach to Cthulhu do nothing for anyone else?
It looks incredibly stupid and the Cthulhu "garden gnome" looks like it ate WAY too many cookies
>What IP do you really crave a good board game of?
Metroid
>>
>>60790947
Ah thanks for the tip. Was curious if the newer edition had any more mixups/fixes besides the Starting Player changes on the market. Mind checking this for me? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>60791559
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/139898/brew-crafters
>>
>>60790157
>What is it that you spend more than you should on board gaming wise?
Component upgrades. I think I've got more than $200 in metal coins alone at this point, but a huge part of the appeal of boardgaming for me is tactile.
>Backing any Kickstarters?
More than is reasonable, but none I regret.
So far.

>>60790431
>What is the expansion you want the most at the moment?
I'm chomping at the bit for a TI4 expansion - the new edition plays smoothly, but almost TOO smoothly. I think I want some more wrinkles, and I _KNOW_ I want a pile of new map tiles.
>>What game has the nicest non-miniature components?
Probably Mafia de Cuba.
>> What IP do you really crave a good board game of?
Really itching for a Command and Conquer tabletop adaptation this morning.

>>60791290
Let me siphon off your avarice - outside of the KS stuff I'm waiting on, there's very little already out or on the horizon that I feel like I want, and that feeling unsettles me.
>>
>>60790157
I backed C:DMD.
I was going to back Eclipse, but after seeing how Kolossal screws up the whole KS page and bundles I see no point backing them.
I's a lot cheaper to wait for Eclipse to go retail than paying that absurd shipment cost, especially when the KS doesnt include any KS exclusives.
>>
>>60791290
Where are you gonna get Tannhauser in a sane price anyway?
>>
>>60792246
Most of the expansions can be found at pretty reasonable prices, and used copies of the base game aren't that bad either. It's unopened base games and the harder to find expansions - especially operation novgorod - that are really absurd.
>>
>>60792246
Idk but I want it. It's not a co-op is it?
>>
>>60792347
Would you, or anyone, mind giving me the quick rundown of Tannhauser?
>>
>>60792437
I've never played it, just heard it described by STEEV. It sounds really fun though.
>>
File: tann3.jpg (66 KB, 600x369)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>60792437
It's terrible. It's an engine by which dice conspire to recreate the most awful, bullshit, imbalanced multiplayer FPS experience of your life. You'll set up the perfect flank, then botch your shot and die to grenade spam while a demon stormtrooper teabags your corpse.
I'll never sell it.

I was actually originally clued into it by a short review Quinns wrote way back in 2011.
https://pastebin.com/1S335JN5
>>
>>60792882
>It's terrible. It's an engine by which dice conspire to recreate the most awful, bullshit, imbalanced multiplayer FPS experience of your life. You'll set up the perfect flank, then botch your shot and die to grenade spam while a demon stormtrooper teabags your corpse.
>I'll never sell it.
So you're giving it away for free then?
>>
>>60793096
A wiser man than I might.
>>
>>60792437
>Europeans bow to Tannhauser
>designed by itself when a French explorer found the first copy of the game in a tomb and dropped the box. the components fell in a way that spelled out the rules
>believed to have survived the Jurassic era
>taught itself to manipulate the laws of physics to alter dice rolls
>used as currency in remote locations around the world
>box is often repainted and sold as a new, different game box. you likely have Tannhauser boxes in your collection right now
>won multiple awards the year it was released. altered timeline so it didn't happen. motives unknown to us mortals
>only board game owned by both the Pope and Che Guevera
>the Magna Carta was written on the back of its rulebook
>dice included in the game are made of a material we still can't identify. the models are perfectly to scale and have an IQ of 99
>completing a solo game using all known expansions grants you access to multiple secret societies
>bleeding or drooling on a copy has been known to cause severe psychotic breaks
>the prophet STEEV is unable to compliment the game without insulting it. such is the game's will
>bringing the game into a room instant cleanses it of all spirits, good and evil
>>
File: 1528858257279_01.jpg (65 KB, 221x457)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>60793339
>>designed by itself when a French explorer found the first copy of the game in a tomb and dropped the box. the components fell in a way that spelled out the rules
>box is often repainted and sold as a new, different game box. you likely have Tannhauser boxes in your collection right now
Got a hearty chuckle out of me, anon
>>
>>60793339
>bleeding or drooling on a copy has been known to cause severe psychotic breaks
Only in the weak of spirit. If you can bleed on the board without obscuring it, and then defeat the game in a contest of wills, it will acknowledge you as its master. Many have tried, few survived, but people still try it every now and then.
>>
File: retard.png (492 KB, 466x466)
492 KB
492 KB PNG
>>60790157
>board game general
>posts D&D dice
>>
>>60790249
LOL latefag
>>
>>60790258
>6 isn't centered they just typed 6. into the layout and let the whole string kern and autocenter without regard to appearance

REEEE this shit pisses me off
>>
>>60793585
>no board game has ever used anything other than D6
>current year
lolwut
>>
>>60793625
fuck you anon I didn't notice

WHY
>>
>>60793636
How many boardgames do you have that use d12s?
>>
File: yes I mad.jpg (40 KB, 500x500)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>60793636
show me a boardgame that uses a d4, d6, d8, 2d10s a d12 and a d20. show me a boardgame where you bring your own mammoth dice.

sure unearthed has d4 and d8, doshgolf uses all d12s, and there are tons of others most of which have multiples (occassionally a single d8 for the whole table) but THAT set THAT specific arrangement of dice is for D&D you eternal faggot.
>>
>>60793694
>Shogun
>Dead of Winter
>Killer Bunnies
>Discworld Ankh Morph
>Advanced Heroquest
>Heroes of Metro City
>Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game
I could go on. kys.
>>
>>60793746
>no one has ever bought dice to replace the dice that came with a board game
You sound poor as shit you eternal hourly wagecuck
>>
>>60793746
Formula D. Also your complaint is still stupid.
>>
>>60793785
so each of those uses only a single d12 and you throw the d20, d6s, d8, and d4 into the trash?

I'm sure you'd stick the d10s up your ass because you're a faggot.
seriously just admit your wrong and fuck off
>>
>>60793625
>over $2000 for a set of dice
>such lack of effort
That qualifies as a duel-worthy insult.
>>
>>60793813
I DON'T SEE A BONE d30

keep grasping at straws you faggot
>>
File: 1458883202246.png (122 KB, 874x763)
122 KB
122 KB PNG
>getting THIS anal about dice
Now THIS is shitposting I can get behind.
>>
>>60793871
see >>60793802
>>
>>60793871
You use the other dice in other games. Do you own exactly one game that uses exactly one type of die? Why the fuck are you even here?
>>
>>60793871
>getting this made because you can't afford quality items to enhance your board games
I'm glad that part of my life is over. Maybe yours will improve if you stop bitching and start trying. Doubt it though.
>>
>>60793871
>if you have use for a d12 you have no use for any other die
wtf even is this argument?
>>
>>60793871
this whole discussion was stupid, but you really took the idiocy to a new level with this one
>>
>>60793871
All those replies... you're either a great shitposter, or a very low quality human. Either way I enjoyed the show.
>>
File: 1458347186676.jpg (79 KB, 606x403)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>samefagging this hard
>>
>>60794086
>It's an "I can tell who every poster on an anonymous board is cuz im super smart" episode
Sure thing, kid
>>
>>60794086
>defending the retarded thread derailer
>calling someone else a samefag
something doesn't add up...
>>
File: 1530665793832.png (256 KB, 576x523)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
>all six replies to the same post are 62, 73, 64, 63 and 61 seconds apart
>starting a second one 62 seconds apart
>not a same fag
Get a trip so I can filter you, thanks.
>>
>>60793871
>>60794086
>REEEEEEEEEE don't enjoy nice things
>there is no way more than one person would disagree with me
The absolute state of poor retarded people
>>
>>60794194
>no one on 4chan posts seconds apart in high traffic threads
>>60794194
>>
>>60794194
>>60794086
Holy shit the cope is real...
>>
File: Xia.jpg (815 KB, 1200x800)
815 KB
815 KB JPG
>>60793746
Xia: Legends of a Drift System FTW
>>
File: trudeau fire.jpg (162 KB, 1024x1365)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>getting btfo so hard your only defence is calling samefag
>>
Yay another thread turned into shit. I'll see y'all on the next go around.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy.
>>
>>60794369
>60 posts in
>writing off the whole thread
You probably could have saved it instead of adding to the shitpile.
>>
File: Idaho-PotatoMuseum1_2560.jpg (1.26 MB, 2560x1826)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>60794265
>Jumped on this year's kickstarter for Xia so I could get everything at once and not agitate my autistic completionism.
>Now I have to wait until november for a game that's been out for years.
I done played myself.
>>
>>60790431
Malazan Book of the Fallen... maybe as an LCG or something. Does LCG count as board game? who fuckin' cares, i want it
>>
>>60794455
But you get it all at once at base price. No hunting for rare expacs at insane scalper markup. Worth the wait IMO. Alternately, buy a base copy of the game today, learn the rules, play it naowgh!, get hyped for additional content, sell extra copy when it arrives.
>>
>>60793995
>not cutting out the extra fraction of a second by using the exact type of die needed
Do you hate optimization anon?
>>
>>60794862
What? I'm saying just because I need a d12 for one game doesn't mean I don't need a d6 for another game. Wtf does your post even mean?
>>
Reposting from old thread.

I was pondering about getting pic related. Is it good?Which mechanics do you like and which not? Tell me about it. Are some factions more interesting than others? Advices for new players?
>>
>>60794914
nvm, I meant to quote the fag you were quoting.
>>
>>60794400
I doubt it. >>60791290 is me and well, we see how that turned out.
>>
>>60794921
To paraphrase my answer from last thread: It's unlikely anyone here has played it. It's a hard game to get played and you've asked here before. There is at least one playthrough on youtube if you're interested.
>>
>>60795041
Thank you for your swift answer.
I tried.
I love GMT's games and i'd like to discuss them , but they seem to fall inbetween hwg and bgg, making it hard to find infos on tg.
>>
>>60790157
>What is it that you spend more on than you should, board gaming wise?

I'm a real sucker for small Legendary expansions. And most of the big ones. I think, mathematically, my copy of "Legendary" is now something like $250.

Let me check
Base game - $50
Secret Wars - $40
Secret Wars 2 - $40
Civil War - $40
Guardians of the Galaxy -$25
Fantastic Four -$25
Noir - $25
Deadpool - $25
Captain America - $25

$295. And that's not counting my legendary VILLAINS stuff. (which, to be fair, is just 2 things)

Which would be less embarassing if I played it more often. (I used to play it a fair bit, but I haven't felt like a deck-builder would click with my current group.)
>>
File: IMG_20171024_220012.jpg (1019 KB, 1613x1210)
1019 KB
1019 KB JPG
>>60794265
Doesn't use D10s or D4s, but close. Was just playing it earlier. That makes 6 3-player games I've played. I've been afraid to go beyond that when teaching the game but now all my friends know it well so I'll have to try 4 and 5 soon.

>>60794856
Not worth it. The base game alone is only alright, I'd say it only really becomes great with the expansion. I am excited for the new kickstarter as well though so I'll get the sellsword finally and the new missions which will hopefully solve the last issues of "missions with too specific of drop points", something they didn't really account for when upping the number of sectors.
>>
>>60795210
Ya, I love the idea of all their games but it's hard for me to get people to play them so I only own one (Distand Plain). Great stuff they crank out though, maybe someday I'll find a group into more wargames. At least COIN are cool solo, maybe I'll pick up a few more.
>>
>>60795244
Don't forget you can play Legendary solo
>>
>>60795662
Very nice series! I have Colonial Twilight and preordered the new printing of FitL.
The first one, i play with my gf, being for 2. With the other one i hope to attract more of friends into these games.

GMT will start charging/shipping all their COIN games reprints soon, if you are interested.
>>
File: IMG_20180706_155541.jpg (1.44 MB, 2016x1512)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>60790157
>What is it that you spend more than you should on board gaming wise?
When I got the Xia insert, I thought it was magical. Then I went out of my way to get a few more inserts and realized most inserts aren't very good. Now I've made a hobby out of building my own foamcore ones. It's fun and lets me pick exactly how I want the inserts to look. Putting the finishing touches on Tavarua now as my test insert and going to build one for Galaxy Trucker next because that box is a mess to put away. Alchemists is somewhere down the line, but the ultimate goal is to build one for Rising Sun because those inserts are too fuckin expensive and kinda sloppy with their attempt to account for both kickstarter backers and yet make one that will work with retail as well. I just want everything for setup to be easy to access and have a home for the monsters in the other box. An insert built for the fact that I removed from the box all the cardboard tokens I don't need anymore.
>Speaking of needless and expensive - backing any Kickstarters?
Root, Empyreal, Cerebria, and Too Many Bones are all in the pipes. Hopefully I'll have TMB very soon. They're a local company so I can skip shipping, and being a local company I got to play it at a sci fi convention last week.
>>
>>60795779
I might have to go check that out. The new Ghandi one looks interesting, as does FitL. How much different is CT being only 2p?
>>
Are there any gamebook/solo board game hybrids? I want something that's like a (non-shitty) JRPG I can play on a board, ideally with characters I can tweak as they level up, teach abilities to, and so on.

No idea if something like this exists or if anyone but me would even want it.
>>
>>60796394
There's stuff like Barbarian Prince and Arabian Nights that are like this but all narrative and tons of randomness. Then there's stuff like Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones that have some narrative but are mainly about optimization gameplay.
>>
>>60796464
Which has better narrative out of Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones?
>>
>>60796519
That's gonna be really subjective. Not because I don't want to answer you but because they are very similar narrative styles imo. You can check out tons of playthroughs of both to help you decide, just skip past the gameplay and check out the "in between fights" phases of each to see how they go.
>>
>>60790157
>Favourite games or add-ons
I guess The Horned Rat for Chaos Gods. I bought it when it was first released though, so i paid a sane price for it at around $20. In terms of non-expansions for games, i guess it would be the two sided dry erase markers for Captain Sonar. Yeah i don't spend a lot on supplementary equipment other then card sleeves. But i'm never happy about buying card sleeves. It's essentially just an expense.

>kickstarters
Still pretty against the idea as a whole, so nope.

>>60790431
>Expansion
Not sure if i qualifies, but the blood bowl Dark Elf team is being released on saturday. Doesn't look particularly amazing from a model perspective, and the team has always been available.
>Non-mini components
Gonna have to go with Lords of Waterdeep. Its so fucking overproduced from a design perspective that its really quite nice looking. For the style of game it is, it didn't need that much effort in the visual design to be a success.
>IP
I really really fucking want a XCOM style game done with BPRD. Agents researching and fighting ancient fae and cryptids in a high lethality system. Yes please!
>>
>>60796519
Definitely Gloomhaven. TMB will have an expansion that kinda slaps on a campaign with little carry overs, and Undertow will come with some campaign cards which may or may not be just flavor text to tell you which boss to fight next, but that game is primarily built to be stand alone adventures where you reset every game. There's a world there, and sometimes it's cool, but half the flavor text is written for yuks and it's primarily a replayable game where you don't think too much about the logistics between playthroughs.

Gloomhaven meanwhile is made to be played consistent party, consistent story, it adds up from play to play and you have some twists and turns. There's a proper book as opposed to just a couple sentences on the back of cards.

TMB is what you do if you want to sit down an go through a mini RPG in 1 playthrough, Gloomhaven has the grander scope.
>>
>>60796543
Thanks. I'll check them out. Probably watch a bit of the gameplay too.
>>
>>60795210
I just got dominant species but there isn't enough time to get it out at my normal group.

Also fuck chick fil a, don't they know this is a blue board? You cunts are practically Christians.
>>
>>60796394
There's Mage Knight, but the board is a little intense for what you're describing.
>>
Anon who made the game alignment chart, I want you to know that I just bought Vast: Crystal Cavern because of it. I hope you're happy.
>>
>>60796090
The main difference is the time of play: we can play the long scenario in around 2h, making it easier to hit the table.

They have adopted a quite smart horseshoe table to determine who does what and the order of the turn. Both factions have 3 pivotal event cards to change some rules in game and alter initiative.

Some say that it is too easy for the FLN to win, but we have had a quite balanced number of victories for both the factions.
Maybe we are not good enough at it to see it yet
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kolossalgames/eclipse-second-dawn-for-the-galaxy

Eclipse Kickstarter is now up, now with shittier art and no changes to the diplomacy rules
>>
>>60797669
Long scenario taking 2h is really appealing, thanks for the info.
>>
>>60797739
For 50$ you can have different models for your ships and like one more punch sheet of cardboard though, anon.
>>
How's the Fallout board game purely judging by theme and story?
Always liked the setting and being an average game would already be enough for me to get it, but I fear that it's less like the writing in 1,2, or NV and more like the terrible simplified bullshit from 3 and 4.
>>
>>60797739
>wears fedora inside
>horrible ascot, or worse neckerchief
>rolled up sleeves
>shoes on the couch

disgusting.jpg
>>
>>60794455
Your patience will be rewarded, gamer friend. It is excellent. I do also recommend the Meeple Realty insert (though it's a fair amount of work to construct).
>>
>>60790285
Cool. My sister's fiance played Dice Forge and absolutely loved it, but they never picked it up. It looked interesting to me too, so I figured I'd get it.
>>
>>60790285
>>60798601
Best as a drinking game.
>>
>tfw board game group falls apart
>>
>>60798797
>tfw there are many ways to find or create another group that we have to explain to some lazy fucker every single thread
>>
>>60799005
Rude
>>
>>60798797
We told you to keep your pants on anon. The penis is not appropriate for shuffling even if the cards are sleeved.
>>
>>60797230
Lol, I have Vast still in shrinkwrap at home, and somehow it came up during another game on Monday. One girl spent ten minutes ripping on it and said she'd never play again.

Feels bad.
>>
>>60799280
It's a divisive game, for sure.
Especially since everyone is playing a very different game, so one person not understanding their role can really swing things to another one.

Do you remember any of her specific complaints?
>>
File: Inox-Brute1-731x1024.jpg (205 KB, 731x1024)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
I'm going to go ahead and post this since I put it at the very end of the last thread

Okay bois I have to take back what I said about Gloomhaven. I never thought it was bad, but I didn't understand why it was SO popular. But we've played enough to retire our starting characters and unlock three new characters, and we are addicted to this game now. I can't even fully explain whyor what changed, but I am loving this game. Grade A game. Not A+.

Are there any games that you thought were only okay (or even didn't like) but you grew to love after you played then more and more?
>>
File: spirit-island-47686-p.png (534 KB, 500x500)
534 KB
534 KB PNG
>Thought i liked co-op games
>Play this once
Fuck co-op games.
>>
>>60799280
If someone gets THAT worked up over a game, chances are, you didn't want to play with them anyway.

On an unrelated note, what's the female equivalent of "neckbeard"?
>>
>>60799602
A tuffmuff
>>
I've yet to see a single board game that was made in south america.
>>
>>60799538
Out of all the co-op games to hate you pick that one?
>>
>>60799538
What was wrong with it?
>>
File: nigger.png (337 KB, 500x500)
337 KB
337 KB PNG
>>60800523
>>
Is Scythe a balanced game?
I just played a game as Nordic/Blue vs. Crimean/Yellow and got absolutely decimated. Is there a way to balance the game's factions better?
>>
>>60800947
>Is there a way to balance the game's factions better?
It's simple, but I'm going to spoiler because some anons like to work these things out on their own and I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

1. play something else
2. seriously did you not know
3. scythe was never good
4. ffs man
5. stop playing shit games
most importantly
6. you're a faggot

tl;dr: play something else faggot

HTH
>>
File: hand_scythe.png (274 KB, 2048x1442)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
>>60801051
Thanks a ton, anon! I didn't think to try balancing the factions like that because of how the developer specifically placed them on the board, but now I see that overall the game is more fair with those specific changes.
Any other games you'd recommend over Scythe?
>>
What do you guys think of Cthulhu Death May die? The minis look like a really good value.
>>
>>60801350
>shills not even trying anymore
>>
>>60801350
>I'm going to go back a KS because the minis look like a GOOD VALUE

kys
>>
>>60801350
I think Cthulhu needs to lay off the cookies and start exercising again
>>
>>60801438
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>60801908
>buying a board game because it looks “nice” is more of a priority than buying a board game because it’s good
Are you that dense?
>>
>>60801944
The game isn't necessarily bad though.
>>
>>60801981
my poor child
>>
File: 20180711_190654.jpg (1.73 MB, 1960x3145)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing doesn't belong?
If you guessed that one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely wrong!
>>
>>60801350
Reaper Bones are dirt cheap and better quality than CMoN plastic. Buy what you need instead of just paying for a shitload of random models. Spend the money you save on quality games.
>>
>>60802727
what kickstarter comes with reaper bones tho?
>>
>>60802987
You can still do late pledges for the most recent Bones KS until the end of July.
>>
>>60802142

What are all those Eastern Wonders copies doing with that copy of Trains?
>>
>>60800947

Get better.
>>
>>60803618
polyamory?
>>
Alright well apparently the stupid assholes have infested even the humble /bgg/ so I guess /tg/ has nothing left of worth
>>
>>60802987
Like other anon said, you can late the current Bones KS or just buy them on Reaper's website cheap as fuck any day of the year.
>>
>>60803771
>I'm going to bitch about this thread despite the fact that the discussion is on topic and I'm also going to avoid posting anything relevant
Thanks, anon. Do you play board games? What's your favorite? What's the last game you bought? Do you regret it?
>>
>>60800573
Must have an IQ this high --> | . <--- Anon's IQ.
>>
>>60796039
>When I got the Xia insert, I thought it was magical

From BrokenToken? I'm still waiting on my Xia stuff from the last KS.

>and Too Many Bones are all in the pipes.

Yeah, that would be on of the 'needless expenses' for me. I dropped like $400 during their latest KS to get the core game + expansion and some extras.

>Hopefully I'll have TMB very soon. They're a local company so I can skip shipping, and being a local company I got to play it at a sci fi convention last week.

You're killing me Anon! Killing me. (Nice pic BTW - now I'm drooling in anticipation.)
>>
>>60799602
>what's the female equivalent of "neckbeard"?
Landwhale...
>>
File: 1444261088519.jpg (612 KB, 2792x1982)
612 KB
612 KB JPG
>spirit island finally drops from the 8X range to 6X range (shipping included)
I don't need it... I don't need it...
>>
>>60804998
>sees a $20 bill on the ground
>just keeps walking

This is literally what you're doing anon. You've got to spend money to save money.
>>
>>60805140
I... I'm not sure that's how- Wait a second, you're a behavioural economists! My dad told me about people like you!
>>
File: 1413931179018.jpg (22 KB, 480x480)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>someone try to sell me on alchemists
>app required
>>
>everybody I ever heard talk about Sekigahara sounded like they needed a change of pants
>but it's 180min for 2players and I know I'd basically never make it hit the table
>>
File: norm saves the thread.jpg (15 KB, 480x360)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
It should be spelt B-O-R-E-D
>>
>>60805524
It's one phone anon, all you need is one phone. Doesn't even need a camera or anything.
>>
File: 1528656571228.jpg (72 KB, 644x850)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>
>>60806175
>just a phone
Phones should be banned from the table.
>>
>>60806374
Your friends have no self control? They're all fuckin elementary school students? Are you telling me you would bring this game, bring the phone to play YOUR game, and not be able to pay attention to the game because you have your phone with you?
>>
What's y'alls favorite win condition in a game?
>>
>>60806413
It's the principle of the thing.

Also, in the overwhelming majority of cases, self control won't stop someone from answering their phone.
>>
>>60806374
What exactly is the issue here?

>>60806484
You shouldn't answer the phone when playing? What?
>>
Anyone have the game alignment chart >>60797230 mentioned?
>>
>>60806428
Antiquity. Choose your own wincon at any point during the game.
>>
>>60804636
Are you a time traveling imperialist who felt offended by the theme?
>>
>>60801350
>minis
>the pinnacle of useless shiny, costs pennies to make, sells to morons for a shitload
>good value
May I interest you in a bridge for sale? Decide quickly, in an hour it's gonna be 5$ more and arrive a month later.
>>
>>60806175
If I wanted to play on a phone, I might as well go all in and play vidya.
>>
File: 1529891884066.png (6.65 MB, 3000x1800)
6.65 MB
6.65 MB PNG
>>60807205
Here you go.
>>
>>60807820
Thanks. What's the medium Eurogame?
>>
Who here is also hyped for the BattleCON kickstarter later this year?
>>
>>60806428
Flux 4.0 with creepers
>>
>>60801350
I’ll try and be more constructive than the usual KS bashers...

Speaking as someone who backed Rising Sun & Blood Rage, I really don’t mind splashing out on over produced games. I both enjoy painting and playing with minis, the big autistic man child that I am.

That said, I do feel DMD is kind of crossing the line. I’d only be interested in backing the full pledge, because the idea of not having the full game really bugs me, but paying an extra....$80? For a giant Cthulhu model that I’ll probab never bother to paint and will be a nightmare to store? Nah, think I’m gonna pass on this one.
>>
So I played Smallworld yesterday, really enjoyed it. I noticed that it and games like it (scythe, catan, etc) are all some kind of past setting, like WW1 with mechs, or agrarian communities, or eurofantasy.
Are there any games like it set in the future? I’d totally play a similar game about corporations buying up properties in a mega city which give you Profit Points for the end of the game
>>
>>60810482
Terraforming Mars
>>
>>60810003
My issue is mainly thematic. If what I've read about it is true, one or more of the Old Ones actually wake during the campaign. "You get to shoot Cthulhu in the face" a reviewer said. With a revolver.
What. The. Fuck.
If an Old One wakes it's fucking game over man, what's a goddamn .22 gonna do to a freakin' gargantuan cosmic entity made of naps and malice?
The whole point of the mythos is about dread and lingering, inevitable doom and shattered psyches, it's not about Chad McLongdong kicking ebil in the 'nads.
Fuck that.
>>
>>60810620
Still agriculture based, i was looking for something more urban
>>
>>60810754
>cosmic entity made of naps and malice
Unfortunately in this game it's made of cookies and brownies
>>
why is eveyrone freaking out over Eclipse KS? I really wanted to play that game but everyone s making it seem like a scam.
>>
File: sheepfucking on mars.png (417 KB, 800x450)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
>>60810482
>>60810777
>>
>>60811031
Terraforming Mars is about turning barren Martian soil into farmland and bodies of water. Even in the future, it’s still agriculture based
>>
>>60800947
Crimea and Rusviet are the easiest to do well with as a beginning player, but after you've played a bit they start to even out. Maybe just pick those two for your first few games? As for Nordic I haven't ever drawn them but you can spam workers and actually hold territory with them better than you'd think because the cost of routing them tends to make it not worth it.
>>
File: where is the worm.png (92 KB, 625x626)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>60811121
okay if you say so
>>
>>60810841
definitely scarier if you have diabeetus
>>
>>60811504
>>60810841
truly the stuff of nightmares

t. gluten allergy
>>
Anyone hear how CMON's giant Cthulhu is triggering people with trypophobia?
>>
>>60811708
Anyone hear how CMON is triggering /bgg/?
>>
>>60811708
I rate trypophobia about the same level as having a problem with the word 'moist' so good on them.
>>
>>60811803
I just enjoy watching dumpster fires and making fun of people who fall for it everytime
>>
>>60810754
>If an Old One wakes it's fucking game over man, what's a goddamn .22 gonna do to a freakin' gargantuan cosmic entity made of naps and malice?
I wanna see an inter-war-level army take on Cthulhu with battleships and torpedo bombers, only to take huge losses War of the Worlds-style.
>>
>>60809654
Super hyped. I've only just been bitten by the bug, and I can't stop thinking about the game, my last matchup, which character I want to try next, etc. This is only having Fate, too, so I'm pumped to expand my roster by a factor of 3 or 4.
>>
>>60811708
It's supposed to be about madness and horror, so working as intended I guess.
>>
is the Eclipse KS a rip off if you dont own 1st ed? Seems like the only people crying are the people who wanted an upgrade pack.
>>
>>60812156
Getting mad and being horrified? Check
>>
>game night tonight
>too many finger lickers coming to get out new gamez

the only 5 player I didn't put in storage is KoT
>>
File: Nords.png (118 KB, 1225x519)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>60811129
>I've never played Nordic
>hurr durr but here's how you should play Nordic
>>
>>60807820
I feel like you could do better than including mass market. Candyland is by definition a light ameritrash, but I don't think any fans of ameritrash will defend it or play it. Scrabble and Go can also go. Better games than candyland for sure, but they're just a completely different category from hobby gaming at this point.
>>
>>60814185
It was made as a meme more than a board game guide. I've been tempted to make a "real" one with actual games
>>
>>60814185
I didn't make it.
>>
File: game alignments.jpg (2.52 MB, 8808x5658)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>60814185
should I keep going? suggestions?
>>
What would you guys recommend as far as games with lots of miniatures goes?
>>
>>60815893
WH40K Epic has lots and lots and lots of miniatures
>>
>>60815747
I would have called Fairytale maybe Light Weeb. But in the absence of weeb, it fits in neutral.

Maybe add abstract?
>>
Wow!

Cthulhu: DMD looks really boring and bland mechanics wise. I'll rather play MoM2e and Arkham Horror for my Cthulhu fix and it seems to just be a Zombicide reskin with much smaller maps.

Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy seems to be crashing on KS.
You can really tell that the people who made that campaign has no experience with KS, and it looks like Kolossal Games is blaming Lautapelit for the lackluster KS page and reward tiers.

Is The Hunters AD 2114 the only decent game on KS at this moment?
>>
>>60816786
>Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy seems to be crashing on KS.
>You can really tell that the people who made that campaign has no experience with KS, and it looks like Kolossal Games is blaming Lautapelit for the lackluster KS page and reward tiers.

As much as I love Space 4x games, the new edition of Eclipse is NOT really winning me over much...

>Is The Hunters AD 2114 the only decent game on KS at this moment?

Actually I'm kind of digging on 'Dawn of the Zeds' by Victory Points games. (That and it's co-op so it's sure to trigger STEEV.)
>>
>>60815747
That's not even Chicago Express, that's Age of Steam.
>>
>>60807788
90% of the game is still physical interacting with people. The phone is just a way to check your guess without revealing the answer. I'd hardly say that's coming at all close to going full vidya.
>>
>>60801350
I'm pretty tired to lovcraftian mythos being used to make action games. I don't mind models as long as there's a focus beyond that. Like I genuinely like how Rising Sun plays, but with a focus on a model the size of the board, that doesn't seem practical or like they're really thinking about how the game plays.
>>
Yeah I would much rather play a game about like lepidopterists studying the gentle descaling of dead grey moth wings in a sterile dusty storeroom than something exciting with sinister mysteries and huge visually impressive models.
>>
>>60816090
I can make a weeb column, that's actually a good idea.

>>60816974
blame google

>>60817096
some people reee about having anything phone related. I'd be more worried if alchemy was a good game- the one group I saw try to play was still in the teaching how the game works phase when my group was switching to a new game 2 hours later. I mean given, the particular member who was teaching it is the WORST teacher, but that's still a fucking seriously long time to go before your first move.
>>
There are never enough weeb board games. I really hate the lack of weebness in the board game community.
>>
File: game alignments.jpg (2.48 MB, 8808x5658)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
Better?

I'll put neutral back if there are good selections for neutral.
>>
>>60817761

No TtR for light train?
>>
>>60817761
I noticed last time after i posted, but medium ameritrash doesn't have a name. Unless that happens to be its real name, in which case... how is it?
>>
>>60817761
>file for ants
It Came From The Desert-style
>>
>>60817822
>but medium ameritrash doesn't have a name
It deserves to remain nameless.
Rising Sun

>>60817761
Seriously tho, at 50% zoom I can see font artifacts and compression on the game photos. Shrink that shit.
>>
>>60817667
>a game about like lepidopterists studying the gentle descaling of dead grey moth wings in a sterile dusty storeroom
I would. That actually sounds like a novel theme, and I have enough minis to last me a decade.

>>60817727
>blame google
>not taking top quality images directly from BGG
>>
>>60818403
state of you mate
>>
>>60817753
Yeah, it's funny. I feel like there's a lot of overlap between tabletop gamers and weebs (in my experience), but not a lot of overlap in games.
>>
>>60817761
Is weeb really a design style, or is it just more of an aesthetic or theme?
>>
>>60817761
In terms of filling in spots for ya...

Light Euro - Carcassonne?
Medium Weeb - Tanto Cuore, Heart of Crown
Medium Euro - Powergrid, Puerto Rico
Medium Wargame - Axis and Allies WW1 or battle of the bulge maybe
Heavy Ameritrash - New Angeles? Not sure how closely that fits the Ameritrash label to be honest
Heavy Weeb - Yokohama
Heavy Wargame - Twilight Imperium
Heavy Train - Russain Railroads I hear, but never played myself.

>>60819469
I'd say its just about as much a design style as Ameritrash cause it tends to focus heavily on aesthetic, style, theme, and culture direction. As in, you can look at a game like Tokaido and know generally what to expect as a consumer if not also as a player.
>>
File: tokaido.jpg (20 KB, 425x480)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>60819469
>>60819645
forgot image
>>
>>60819645
Heavy Ameritrash goes to twilight Imperium, it's definitely not a wargane.
>>
>>60819765
Fair point. The thing is, the only wargames i personally would put in heavy end up being games like Warmachine, 40k, Runewars, etc. And I'd put Blood bowl, Kill team, X-Wing, in medium wargame.
>>
>>60819645
Russian Railroads is a medium worker placement euro, tho

Lisboa shoulda stayed in heavy Euro
ASL shoulda stayed in heavy wargame

Las Vegas could be light ameritrash
>>
>>60819820
I think we're talking about wargame BOARDGAMES as distinct from tabletop miniatures wargames, so I'd go for stuff like ASL instead of 40k.
>>
>>60819645

>Russian Railroads

The heaviest train game that's not actually about building railroads.
>>
>>60819858
>Russian Railroads is a medium worker placement euro
So... whats a Train game then? I've never played a train game other then Ticket to Ride, but I guess I can't decide what makes a train game, a train game outside of involving trains?
>>60819903
Now I'm actually more confused about what a train game is...
>>60819881
Yeah, which is left them off my original recommendations.
>>
File: pic443628.jpg (901 KB, 2592x1944)
901 KB
901 KB JPG
>>60817761
>previously had Age of Steam for light train
>now has 18XX for light train
wew lad
Seriously though, Chicago Express for light train, Age of Steam for medium train, 18XX for heavy train. Seeing as you already got the pictures for Age of Steam and 18XX, I'll at least help you out with Chicago Express
>>60819645
>Russian Railroads
>heavy
>train game
Not even close, Power Grid is more of a train game than Russian Railroads
>>60819937
What's traditionally referred to as a train game focuses heavily on making money by building routes between locations and/or valuing company shares, sometimes also involving some sort of pick up and deliver mechanic. Chicago Express is definitely the recommend entry point, Age of Steam (Steam/Railways of the World are also in the same family and are more casual than Age of Steam) and 18XX are also fantastic games that focus on two entirely different aspects (pick up and deliver for Age of Steam, stock market manipulation for most 18XX games). There's other stuff like German Railways, Paris Connection, Mini Rails, Stephenson's Rocket, crayon rail games (though I've never played any, so I have no opinion on them) and all of the shit that Winsome releases, but picking up Winsome games are a pain in the ass. Empyreal: Spells and Steam (a recently funded KS) focuses on the pick up and deliver aspect of train games
>>
>>60819645
Magic Realm should stay as heavy ameritrash
>>
>>60817761

How about this?

>Light ameritrash - King of Tokyo
>Heavy ameritrash - Kingdom Death: Monster

>Medium weeb - Heart of Crown
>Heavy weeb - Tragedy Looper

>Light euro - Carcassonne
>Medium euro - Agricola
>Heavy euro - Gaia Project

>Medium wargame - Combat Commander: Europe
>Heavy wargame - ASL

>Light train - Ticket to ride
>Medium train - Steam
>Heavy train - 1830
>>
>>60813951
I've played against them and been irritated by their lone workers clogging up the lanes, so I guess you could say me and Nordic have a history. Thanks for digging that image up for me, I don't know whether to feel stupid or flattered.
>>
A couple questions:

1. For those that have played Lovecraftian board games before, how would Cthulhu: Death May Die differ from Arkham Horror or Mansions Of Madness? I've been thinking of picking one of these up, and I like the games made by the guys on Death May Die (Pandemic, Godfather, Rising Sun)

2. What are other games like Azul or Ex Libris that focus on having a more mundane theme that isn't around fighting or conquest? I thought I wouldn't like these, but they are kinda fun.
>>
>>60820117
>Light train - Ticket to ride
>Medium train - Steam
>Heavy train - 1830
I definitely agree on 1830, but personally my favourite aspect of train games is that the ones I prefer emphasize player interaction more than playing against the game, which is why I dislike Ticket to Ride and Steam (compare Age of Steam to Steam - you know where goods will appear in AoS but you don't know when, in Steam you don't know where goods will appear, which makes you react by needing to perform retarded track laying to compensate. Both involve luck of the dice roll but it's mitigated better in Age of Steam)
>>
>>60818447
flip are you drunkposting again
>>
>>60820490

I put Steam there because I think the Steam Barons expansion makes it more interconnected between the TtR series and 18xx while also giving a taste of AoS.

I could put Steam or RotW in the light category instead but the TtR series is just way too popular to ignore.
>>
>>60803876
I think it was TI4 but its been I while. I love it!
>>
>>60817761
You could probably put Shadespire in for light Ameritrash
>>
>>60820077
What is even going on with the blue and yellow trains in that picture? How does that even happen?
>>
>>60821176
Fair points
>>60822301
I pulled that from BGG, but there has to be a yellow train in Wheeling (the hex that's partially visible at the far-left) for that photo to make sense
>>
>>60820308
>mundane theme that isn't fighting or conquest
How do you feel about trading in the Mediterranean?
>>
Anyone had experience with this? I like Warlord but never played any of their boardgames ""miniature games"'"

It would be a neat gift for my sister, but I would want to get her something fun
>>
>>60796394
Mage Knight
>>
>>60799511
>I can't even fully explain whyor what changed
go to bed, cephalofair
>>
>>60796394
>AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT
No, your not. Sword and Sorcery, City of Kings, WoW, Kingdom Death, Gloom of Kilforth, Runebound, Legends of Andor, Warhammer Quest/Heroes of Terrinoth.
>>
>>60823825
So why don't you pick a game you find fun?
>>
>>60825150
Presumably because his sister is thematically invested in Doctor Who.

So he wants to get her a game she already has a semi-emotional investment in, but he also wants it to be a good game.

Thus he asks the hivemind of /bgg/ for an opinion, before he commits to the purchase.
>>
File: 1492298450471.jpg (18 KB, 472x506)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>60825194
>expecting the hivemind to give you an answer
>expecting the hivemind to give you a good answer
>expecting the hivemind to give you a good answer for a fun game
>>
>>60825305
We are a fickle force.

Just yesterday I learned about a cool looking little worker placement game I might pick up for my brother.
>>
>>60823139
That sounds interesting. What did you have in mind specifically?
>>
>>60819645
>>60819858
>>60819903
>Heavy Train - Russain Railroads I hear, but never played myself.
First, Russian Railroads isn't a train game.

Second, it's a medium-light game. Probably the simplest worker placement game. (Even Lords of Waterdeep is slightly more complex.)
>>
>>60816786
>for my Cthulhu fix
People with a 'Cthulhu fix' have no right to exist.
>>
Question: Would it be better to get Eclipse 1st edition with expansions or the updated rules in the 2nd edition KS? I've never played but both are around the same price.
>>
>>60820308
Arkham Horror is more about forming stories via random events whereas Mansions is about playing out a story if that makes sense.

Death May Die is an amalgamation of a bunch of mechanics from other games all stapled together with a Cthulhu skin painted over it. It's a very blatant cash-grab.
>>
Someone tell me what they DON'T like about Merchants & Marauders.
>>
>>60828349
The fact that I don't own it.
>>
How does vast mysterious mansion differ from vast crystal caves?
>>
>>60828349
That fact that it isn't both awesome AND free...
>>
>>60828349
It is a fair bit easier to win as a merchant rather than as a pirate in the base game. This is thankfully fixed in the expansion through numerous ways
>>
>>60828349
The fact that I have no one to play it with
>>
>>60828152
>Question: Would it be better to get Eclipse 1st edition with expansions or the updated rules in the 2nd edition KS? I've never played but both are around the same price.

If you want everything - I'd say do the KS as you get the updated rules, plus you can pick up all the ships and expansion content in one shot. I love Space 4x games - but I already own all the stuff for 1st Edition and I'm not overwhelmed by the Eclipse KS so far. They *may* have fixed some of the totally random power shifts involved in dice based combat, and they've added some new tech and rules, but the allies / political aspect of the game still seems sub-standard to me.
>>
>>60823825
Sorry Anon, it doesn't look like many folks have any experience with this game. You might have to resort to board game geek.
>>
>>60828593
Can you qualify that a bit more? The base game is expensive as it is.
>>
>>60828712

I thought the 2nd ed KS didn't have any expansions?
>>
>>60828349
The shitty bent bowsprits on the galleons.
>>
What are some games besides mare nostrum which are so well balanced that +1s are actually impactful?
>>
>>60828932
>I thought the 2nd ed KS didn't have any expansions?

Supernova, Nebula, Pulsar, & Black Hole mini-expansions (a.k.a. Promo Packs) plus the "Worlds Afar" expansion - all listed on the main KS page.
>>
>>60828492
I didn't play the Manor and just skim through the player board but here is my 2c.
The Paladin look like a better version of the knight, not as random and Cave dependant.
The skeletons seem fun but I didn't fully read the player board so I can't say for sure.
The Spider looks rad and you can swith size at will, so this is a plus (I hate the fact that you only see the dragon in its true form 1 turn before it rush to the exit).
The Manor is limited by the board and need to build special shape. This is good, no more long unexplored shaft with all the crystal and chest at the other side of the map.
The other guy, no idea.

Didn't read the rulebook and didn't playtest tho... Hope this help
>>
>>60830599
>I hate that you only see the dragon for 1 turn before it rushes to the exit

Have you tried breaking more cave crystals, so it's not next to one to surface?
>>
How's Inis? Group seems to like Kemet but we need some variety.
>>
>>60832429
If you like card drafting and having to work each round out like a clockwork puzzle in your head, you'll love it.
It's a lot less of a dude-smashing contest than kemet though.
>>
>>60832429
Garbage. Avoid at all costs.
>>
>>60832781
>t. Brainlet
>>
File: 1343061811230.jpg (110 KB, 500x500)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>60832781
>>
>>60832429
Top 3 game for me.
Like the other anon said, less direct than Kemet, but still has that same "knife fight in a phonebooth" feel. A huge aspect of it, imo, is being able to disguise your intentions until late in the round, and making a play for wincons after everyone else has spent their actions/epic tales. I like it a little more than Kemet, but that's probably only because I am trash at Kemet.
>>
I used to post about/shill Inis in these threads but I've grown somewhat less fond of it. All my recent games are basically ending by either early Deed rush or the slow accumulation of Epic Tale cards and then a turn where someone pops off and nobody can really do anything about it.

I'm looking forward to the expansion coming out, just because I want to mix up the game some. I've honestly thought about trying to play with the Epic Tale cards face up. It never feels good when you know there's like a 1/20 chance the next player has the card that fucks you, but they do have it.
>>
>>60832958
>>60833098
0/10
>>
>>60834244
thanks for conceeding the assumption
>>
>>60833835
>disguise your intentions

You wut. There's 3 victory conditions and you need 2 of them. You can see that shit a mile away, it's just the usual crap of everyone bukkaking the leader and then nobody gives a fuck about 2nd place because they just want this tardfest to be over.
>>
>>60834329
I will cut my feet dancing on the broken remnants of your soul.
>>
>>60834366
Show me on the doll where the Irish qt3.14 refused to touch you, jaded anon.
>>
>>60834115
>deed rush
Nigga what? If a guy is stacking deeds, it means he's piling up on bard/sanctuary/master craftsman. He needs cards to draw deeds AND their conditions, so he's always low on manpower- so kick his head in, make him discard them. Get the bard if you can while you're at it.

I kinda agree with the epic tales card though, it's a bit annoying when people hold onto them for several turns to have a card advantage by virtue of "appearing" less dangerous, and others ignore them. I've found that reminding people that the red cards are basically as good or better than green cards does help in making the others bully the stacker so they can't rush a victory when they blow their load.

In both cases though, if everyone is familiar with the game I find that it just helps me start to wheel and deal with other players at the table and open negotiations beyond "let's not fight today."

I have been meaning to try variants for the red cards though. One problem is that the Harp of the Dagda card requires you to have at least four of them. You could just limit how many you have in hand, but that's not really a solution. Partial visibility of them could be good though, I hadn't thought of that.

>>60834366
>You wut. There's 3 victory conditions and you need 2 of them.
No you don't? You just need one before anyone else (or to be the Brenn).
>>
File: pic3799727[1].jpg (225 KB, 1024x802)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>Kickstarter game
>No exclusives
>No plastic
>Getting really good reviews

Backed it for the cute art and idea of it, hyped to hear it's starting to get a lot of attention as a great game.
>>
Is Merchants and Marauders a meme that I whooshed on? I played some of it (resigned after an hour and a half because I was so utterly bored) this evening, and it was one of the worst board game experiences I've had since Monopoly. The entire game was "move into port, look at cards, buy whatever's cheapest, move out of port, move to somewhere where my stuff is in demand, repeat". Out of 90 minutes I don't think there was a single moment that I'd call exciting or interesting - it was a luckfest that didn't even tell any interesting stories or have the thrill of gambling.
>>
File: inis-action-card.png (289 KB, 300x450)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
>>60834374
only if you win
>>
>>60834686
>Nigga what? If a guy is stacking deeds, it means he's piling up on bard/sanctuary/master craftsman. He needs cards to draw deeds AND their conditions, so he's always low on manpower- so kick his head in, make him discard them. Get the bard if you can while you're at it.
Dude I have played Inis at every player count probably in total over 100 times. Please do not tell me how to play.
>>
>>60834782
Then what's a game which has fulfilled those requirements for you?
>>
>>60834747
I didn't realise it was by the John Company/Pax guy.
>>
>>60834782
If you don't enjoy playing the merchant half of the game - don't play the merchant half of the game, you idiot.
Were you playing solo, or were the other players just ignoring your ripe, fat merchant ass?
>>
>>60834858
>Dude I have played Inis at every player count probably in total over 100 times

You poor fucking braindead scrub.
>>
>>60834981
I will spit between the coins they lay upon your eyes in death.
>>
>>60834971
4 players, and every one of us independently decided to play merchant, nobody started with a Sloop. Seeing as there were two players who'd played before and neither of them made any moves towards piracy, I just sort of assumed it must be non-viable.
>>
>>60835165
>nobody did anything fun, so I assumed fun was non-viable
Story of my fucking life
>>
>>60835165
Next time, be the guy that doesn't go merchant.
>>
>>60834858
Look, I'm not pretending I know how these games went, but is a deed rush really as common as you make it sound? Because you still need at least a few turns to get deeds, IF nobody kills all your clansmen, and in my group games often end by turn 3, even earlier when some territories/red cards are drawn.
>>
>>60835165
It's definitely not a game for everyone, or for every group. If you all want to play solitaire commodity trading in the carribean, I'm sure there are games where you can do that and have it feel like a complete and whole experience. Merchants and Marauders is not that game.
>>
>>60836085
Losing all your clansmen first turn is, if anything, an advantage.
>>
>>60817761
I feel like adding more types killed the two-dimensional aspect of the original.

It could look nice as a GNS chart (euros being gamist, ameritrash narrativist, wargames simulationist). And you get to include all the hybrids which is where the real fun is.

Anyone want to fill some numbers? (yes I'll probably modernize the final version)
>>
>>60836192
If people get trigger happy when the repopulations cards haven't dropped yet, it's their fault, really.
>>
File: bn.png (7.63 MB, 2380x1540)
7.63 MB
7.63 MB PNG
When wargames aren't actually wargames and are more like euros
>>
>>60836192
Kinda, yeah. I've actually been debating if changing the rule to
>If the player cannot lose a deed, they may only place a single clansman on the board
would incite more careful first turns.
>>
>>60836478
>wargame
>there's no war
>>
>>60836330
>anon creates autism chart
>perfect distraction from the fact I still haven't updated or finished any that /bgg/ started work on 6 months ago

>>60836478
>20-30 games later I can beat the AI regularly
TS is more addicting than it should be
>>
>he played the game less than a 100 times
>thinks he gets to have an opinion about it
How do we solve the filthy casual problem in boardgaming, bros? All these beautiful systems, wasted on plebians, like pearls before swine.
>>
>>60836672
>any that /bgg/ started work on 6 months ago
Do tell.
>>
>>60836669
There's lots of proxy wars, you can even have a global thermonuclear one if you like.
>>
>>60837295

Oh wow, what a good troll. I'm so angry. I'm gonna reply lots.
>>
>>60837295
>100
Yeah, try 20 to 25 times.
>>
>>60837295
Kill KS, kill indies. Without the glut of new shinies the normies will starve and only the strongest will survive.

(I recently got depressed hearing someone (not a casual, too) say "oh it's a classic and one of my favorite games, I played a whole ~10 games of it")
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.35 MB, 1756x1596)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>60837482
Enough people started talking about a next step recommendation image that I put up a few commonly listed titles, asked for input, maybe 4 anons started in on it. It's on the pile of work along with schadenfreude, co-op, and updating 2p and kids.
>it's also a goddamn eyesore because of the font
>>
>>60790157
I backed Tang Gardens. Game looks chill as fuck.
>>
>>60837536
Will playing chess 20-25 times make you even an okay player? Many euros have a more complex branching tree than chess.
>>
File: picAn55.gif (83 KB, 379x387)
83 KB
83 KB GIF
>>60837734
>Keyflower
>Puerto Rico
>worker placement
>>
>>60837934
Part of why I gave up doing a lot of these is they fit too many fucking categories. Keyflower is auction, but also worker placement, Puerto Rico is action selection, not sure how it got in there. I may have been drunk at the time
>>
>>60837870
You don't have to be decent at that time. If you play 20-25 games of chess and find it to be boring to you, therefore having the opinion that it is boring, then it's valid. On the other side, if you want to continue more games of chess and try to become a grand master at it, then their opinion is valid.

It's like saying you're not allowed to say a particular food is tasty or gross unless you've consumed over 400lbs cumulatively. It makes you seem stupid and elitist.
>>
>>60837580
>use the BGG app to track plays since the start of last year
>H-index is only 10
Sadly on point there, but work has eaten up more of my board game time than I wanted to
>>
>>60837959
Keyflower is a pretty pure bidding game, if you just replaced meeples with coins there wouldn't be any confusion. Actually, you should, it doesn't even make sense to buy things with people unless the theme is slavery or some shit.
>>
>>60838032
It's not as pure say as For Sale but yeah; seriously though I vaguely remember the day anons kept bitching and I started that, it maybe got 5 minutes of work. That amounts to
>ok what games do anons rave about all the time?
>is it KS trash?
>ok how do I clump these 15-20 games into 3 categories?

Likely had work and gave up before really thinking about it, this year's been kinda crazy
>>
File: j7nnn.jpg (30 KB, 443x550)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>60837580
>when Sam Healey says that TI is his favourite game
>but he plays only once a year
>>
>>60793785

>Shogun
>D12's

Doesn't that game just throw a bunch of cubes into a tower? I don't really remember a d12 in that game at all. Or am I thinking of a different Shogun?
>>
>>60834747
>Backed it for the cute art and idea of it

I did the exact same thing, glad to hear this kickstarter was worth it
>>
>>60793746

Smiths of Winterforge uses a d4, d6, d8 and a d12. Thats not all the dice that exists out there but that's using 4 out of 6 different commonly known dice types.
>>
File: [002262].jpg (43 KB, 480x320)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>60836478
>.png (7.63 MB, 2380x1540)
>>
this bread is dead bread, maek new
>>
File: Professional Butt-hurt.jpg (248 KB, 800x1058)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>60838412
Don't worry about it - watching butt-flustered biatch-bois loose their spaghetti is half the fun around here. Expecting them to know jack or shit about anything is simply grounds for disappointment.
>>
File: OP's thread.gif (2.72 MB, 300x229)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB GIF
>>60839143
OK! On it...
>>
>>60790157

New Bread...

>>60839374
>>
>>60815747
Are you trolling? Rising Sun is not Ameritrash!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.