[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: howard.jpg (203 KB, 696x900)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
Is worldbuilding of Conan's setting good?
>>
>>60799494
>the people to the north are called Nordheimers
>they're split up into the two tribes Vanir and Aesir
Eeeeh it's ok.
>>
>>60799513
In his defense, the Internet was in its infancy in the 1930s, so the cultural worldliness that we take for granted was novel to his generation. Things like naming his middle-eastern area "Iranistan" were pretty cool because the common man only knew it as Persia.

I do like how the entire thing was set 120,000 years ago and all the cool stuff was blotted out during the ice age that separated Conan's time from ours.
>>
>>60799733
There were history books in every library, people weren't uneducated troglodytes in the 1930's.
>>
>>60799494
it is pretty much the same as most of Faerun. Just wholesale ripping stuff from real world mythos and not trying to hide it at all. Not bad, but not really memorable at all.
>>
>>60799733
I just find it a bit shallow and maybe a bit close to home. It's makes for stellar, pulpy sword & sorcery stuff, but it's not really an elaborate world.
>>
>>60799748
>There were history books in every library
Right, in the library, which wasn't as easily accessible to someone reading his book as your smartphone is today.
>>
>>60799803
People don't read history books on their smartphones, they browse Twitter and whatever else is fashionable right now.
>>
>>60799748
>people weren't uneducated troglodytes in the 1930's
People who read Conan sure were. It was not aimed at classically edicated upper-class, but at middle class clerks and workers who could not care less about ancient history after a 12-hour factory workshift.
>>
>>60799834

Yeah exactly. I love Robert E Howard, he's one of my major writing influences. The other is Harold Lamb, who is basically "Robert E Howard for the upper class". Even then with libraries if you weren't in a major metropolitan area you wouldn't have access to a good and worthwhile library. At best maybe you'd have something iconic like Herodotus.
>>
>>60799494
>Is worldbuilding of Conan's setting good?
It's servicable for the stories Howard was writing.

It's a whole lot better in the early stories; most of the later ones is just a half hearted coat of paint over over frontier America.
>>
>>60799827
>People don't read history books on their smartphones, they browse Twitter and whatever else is fashionable right now.
My point is, Google is at your fingertips, so it's easy for you to scoff at Howard because he used names that you recognize. His original audience wouldn't recognize them, or if they DID recognize them, they would still be suitably exotic.
>>
>>60799880

It was also an intention of his. It lets people quickly approximate the kind of landscape and people and environment that Iranistan is, or Shem and so on.
>>
>>60799494
A better question is, why does Robert Howard look so similar to Al Capone?
>>
>>60800075
>A better question is, why does Robert Howard look so similar to Al Capone?
I think about this every time I see this image on /tg/.
>>
>>60800075
has anyone ever seen Howard and Capone in the same room?
>>
>>60799494
>Is worldbuilding of Conan's setting good?

It works for his stories and rarely contains anything jarring enough to ruin the reader's immersion.

What more could any worldbuilder want?

>>60799748
>There were history books in every library, people weren't uneducated troglodytes in the 1930's.

Not every library would contain the books you blithely assume would be available and inter-library loan programs wouldn't put a book from the NYC Met library into the hands of a man in rural Texas.

The internet is such a integral part of you life that you have trouble imagining how people only a few decades lived and worked.
>>
>>60800075
Because howard was a fucking heavyweight boxer his whole fucking life. He wasn't some pasty dweeb.

>The era when even pulp authors were charles motherfucking atlases.

What went wrong?
>>
File: primeval thule cover.jpg (733 KB, 1700x2200)
733 KB
733 KB JPG
If you want a good campaign setting that's highly inspired by Conan, look at Primeval Thule
>>
>>60802912

Ever notice that the best "nerd" writer had other shit going for them besides being nerds?

>Robert E Howard

Heavyweight boxer, the Joe Rogan of the 30's

>Edger Allen Poe

Former Soldier, Into true crime and Journalism when he wasn't co-inventing Gothic Horror
. Was a total party animal too with a nice sense of humor

>Tolkein

Into linguistics, invented a whole field of scholarly analysis of ancient myth Fought in the Somme and probably bayoneted Fritz

>John Brunner

Started a Folk Festival that thrives to thi very day on the isle he lived on, was super active in the anti-war scene of the late 60's
>>
>>60799880
Some of the place names he picked didn't age well. Zimbabwe hadn't been called that for centuries during the time he was writing and thought it would be really clever to call a place Zembabwei.

Doesn't make it any less cringe now, though.
>>
>>60802912

What? Are you implying that all heavyweight boxers look like Al Capone?
>>
>>60799494
I personally like it, but it's one of those things where you either enjoy the tropes or you don't enjoy them at all.
>>
>>60803209
This. Best authors are the best because of theother whole life shit they bring to the table

>>60803646
Im saying if youre from that time and havedark hair etc, and are heavily built up, youre going to look remarkably similarto every other guy from that club. Plus everyone wore a suit back then, which classes everybody tge fuck up, even vicious murdering goons like capone.
>>
>>60799796
It's very explicitly set on Earth in a semi-fantastic period of the past.
>>
>>60803209
>>60803852
But lovecraft was an ultra-neet.
>>
>>60805117

He had a wide variety of interests that he researched heavily, so even though is real life was a mess he had alot to draw upon
>>
>>60805149
Researching things is for Nerds.
>>
>>60805149

Point is he didn't have "other shit going on for him" like the anon upthread said characterized the best nerd authors. >>60805117 has a valid counterpoint that pokes a huge hole in that theory.
>>
It's OK. Most of the adventures are self-contained and rarely reference each other. The allure of Conan is not finding out more about the lore but seeing Conan solve mysteries and fight monsters.
>>
>>60799733
>the Internet was in its infancy in the 1930s
nigga what
>>
File: ColonelHunterGathers.png (90 KB, 250x200)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>60805307

Of course, son! It was built shortly after the Second American Revolution -- the silent one!
>>
>>60799875
>most of the later ones is just a half hearted coat of paint over over frontier America.
This. Ancient Savage World is fucking cool. The Wild West But Earlier is pretty lame.

>>60803209
A lot of this is probably the professionalism, or lack thereof. Howard wanted to support himself on writing alone, but couldn't pull it off and didn't try right from the start. Poe is noted for trying to live solely off words and having mixed results. Tolkien's grandiose works were basically trashy fanfiction he read to his literature club.

Nowadays it's common for someone's continued access to food being contingent on providing continued access to words. Back in the day, that wasn't really the case, so most authors were writing as a hobby while doing other shit.
>>
>>60799803
I think you're severely underestimating just how common it was to read books before spartphones and tablets were a thing.
>>
>>60799769
Howard did admit he ripped stuff off, to be fair.
And he said he mainly crated the world to make it easier to keep his stories internally consistent.

He never went full Tolkien.

And it's still more coherent than fucking Narnia.
>>
>>60807554

People read more books, but what he's saying is that availability was a problem. Your town's local library, especially if your town was in rural Texas like Howard's, may not have had all that much on a particular subject, and what it did have may have been outdated or wrong.
>>
>>60803209
A life well-lived is a good source of inspiration, and there's also the fact someone who is the type to actually do a lot of cool shit will just naturally have something interesting to say.

It's not always true; Bradbury was brilliant and he surfed a typewriter basically his whole life. But it's a common theme amongst writers of all genres where the best ones had cool stuff going on in their lives.
>>
>>60799748
>The reasons behind the invention of the Hyborian Age were perhaps commercial: Howard had an intense love for history and historical dramas; however, at the same time, he recognized the difficulties and the time-consuming research work needed in maintaining historical accuracy—and moreover, the poorly-stocked libraries in the rural part of Texas where Howard lived just did not have the material needed for such historical research. By conceiving a timeless setting—"a vanished age"—and by carefully choosing names that resembled human history, Howard shrewdly avoided the problem of historical anachronisms and the need for lengthy exposition.
>>
>>60799494
Yeah.
>>
Howard's world building was as good as it needed to be. It only ever served to be a vehicle for a story, it was never an end unto itself.
>>
Honestly the best parts of it was the stuff which hinted at even older and weirder shit. Fallen temples and lost cities and shit. On a side note, the most recent film version was a fucking disgrace. At one point, someone calls Conan the most powerful man in Hyboria. Nigga, Hyboria is a people not a place, and Conan ain't fuckin Hyborian either
>>
>>60805307
I mean, I guess, if you consider things like the telegraph and radio to be precursors to the internet.
>>
>>60799494
It effectively served the narrative that Howard wanted to tell, and didn't waste the audiences time. So yes.
>>
>>60799494
It's ok for what it is.
>>
>>60808152
>On a side note, the most recent film version was a fucking disgrace
Damn right it was. It fucking baffles me how a movie that violent could be so totally toothless at the same time.
>>
>>60808152
>Honestly the best parts of it was the stuff which hinted at even older and weirder shit. Fallen temples and lost cities and shit.

This was actually the coolest thing to me.
Even though it was so far in the past, there were still signs of civilizations that were even more ancient and more advanced. It made humanity seem so old.

I think he's the first one to the really do the "fantasy setting is actually a technological setting after an apocalypse" meme.
>>
>>60808290

There was a touch of cosmic horror to Howard's world building. He has a never ending procession of civilizations rising and collapsing. He even hints at a time when the civilizations of earth didn't belong to mankind. The theme being that all of these are destined to turn to dust, crushed under the weight of an uncaring universe.
>>
>>60803209
Well yes, you need to have a breadth of influences to create something cool. If your only inspirations for creating [media x] is earlier [media x], then you’ll just make derivative regurgitated shit. Same goes for games and movies.
>>
Kull isn’t a totally terrible Conan movie, although the violence was toned down.
>>
>>60799494
>Neckbeard of Yore
>Just looks like a B&W picture of a NB today
Loving Every Laugh
>>
>>60805307
Shh.
The walls have (((ears))).
>>
>>60807625

Same goes for Asimov, the man hated going outside, found the great outdoors terribly dull, and was never happier than when sitting in a small room in front of a typewriter.
>>
>>60805117
>But lovecraft was an ultra-neet.

Lovecraft was a human Bulletin Board Service.

He was the hub of several correspondence circles dealing not only with weird fiction but also amateur journalism, art criticism, general science, and other topics. Long distance phone calls cost a week's wages, telegrams were pricey, and travel for the rich but you could post a letter for a penny or two.

They estimate Lovecraft wrote 100,000 letters starting in his 20s and putting him only behind Voltaire. That effort kept hundreds of people interested in different topic in regular contact with each like-minded others and each others projects. You'd mention a question you had or a bit of info you couldn't track down. Lovecraft would pass it along in his letters, collect everyone's answers, and send it all back to you.

Lovecraft also worked as a "script doctor" for other writers of fiction and non-fiction. You'd send him what you were working on and he'd help you rewrite or otherwise fix it. It's a shame he never took the pulp editing job offered him in Chicago because he spent the last decades of his life doing the exact same work for no money.

While he may have been a NEET, he was definitely busy everyday.
>>
>>60800075
Wait, that's Howard? I saw this thread and went all "WTF does Capone have to do with Conan?"
>>
File: its crap.gif (2.84 MB, 448x252)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB GIF
>>60813694
>It's a shame he never took the pulp editing job offered him in Chicago because he spent the last decades of his life doing the exact same work for no money.
Fucking this. Guy ate crackers to have enough money left for stamps. All he did was write and sleep, and even then he had terrifying dreams to write about.
>>
>>60813964
He also fucked, at least while his wife could put up with him.
>>
File: reh-pirate.jpg (605 KB, 1141x1448)
605 KB
605 KB JPG
>>60813963
It's probably his best photo. Went out of town and got dressed up to take it. Apparently he gave a copy to his mother and girlfriend. In most of his other photos he just looks like a regular southern boy... then there are the times he and his neighbors dressed up like pirates.
The R.E. Howard society did a good video on all the known photographs of him. Quite a few given the time period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zgVtyQfaJE&t=2s

>>60814031
Well his name was Love-craft. Sad it didn't work out in the end. Lovecraft never did sign the divorce papers though.
>>
>>60814106
that photo is adorable
>>
>>60813964
>Fucking this. Guy ate crackers to have enough money left for stamps.

Crackers, baked beans, and ice cream. It's no wonder he died of intestinal cancer. None of the hundreds of people he corresponded with sent him as much as a postal money order either. He was so intensely private that only a handful of people knew about his living situation.

>>All he did was write and sleep, and even then he had terrifying dreams to write about.

Once he became that human BBS, his own writing all but dried up. He was busy writing to and for other people, he had no time to write for himself. He got a few co-author bylines here and there from those grateful for his script doctor work, but his own output was almost nil for the last 5 or 6 years.
>>
>>60814106

I'm kinda shocked that Joe Rogan aint in the REH society, His favorite fictional character is conan and whenever Conan gets brought up in the podcast he turns into a super nerd
>>
>>60814191
There are some pretty good ones out there.

>>60814192
Most of his life after his grandfather died when he was a kid sucked pretty hard.

>>60814243
Does he even know about them? It'd be cool if he went to their yearly event and had a panel. Might be to small of an event for him though, and he is constantly busy with his podcasts.I wanna see Rogan go to Egypt for more of that 10k sphynx stuff. Speculative history is fun.
>>
>>60800304
Nobody who lived to tell the tale.
>>
Who cares? Worldbuilding is pointless masturbation if the story ain't good. Look at Sanderson - worldbuilding good, stories boring.
>>
>>60814348
>Worldbuilding is pointless masturbation if the story ain't good.

Exactly. REH built his worlds to support his stories and nothing more.
>>
>>60814344
One helps take care of his ailing mother. The other kills two guys with a bat at spaghetti dinner.
>>
>>60814326
>Most of his life after his grandfather died when he was a kid sucked pretty hard.

Hard? It was horrifying.

His father died in a lunatic asylum of syphilis. That led his mother to fear she had it and had passed it on to her son. There was no blood test at the time, you were diagnosed after the symptoms developed. So his mother spent years watching herself and her son for symptoms of a terminal illness until the strain put her in a lunatic asylum too. After that, he lived with a series of spinster aunts who were living off the money the grandfather had left.

It's no wonder he was a wacko during his teens and early 20s, it's freakin' miracle he even married, and it's a testament to him that he dropped most of his racist and extreme beliefs by the 30s.
>>
>>60805307
Sometimes people on /tg/ make jokes.
>>
File: 1332434005256.jpg (121 KB, 774x1032)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>60808290
What i really enjoyed is that it has flavors of it
1. Wizard city states
2. Pre downfall monster civilizations
3. Precursor city states
4. Ancient horror cities, with servants still living in them
It kept changing up. And ruins are from different tech levels, with various degrees of looting as well.
>>
>>60799733
>the Internet was in its infancy in the 1930s
kek
>>
Where can I start with Conan?
>>
>>60799494
It's literally just our own world a few thousand years before the start of recorded history.
>>
>>60821351

Thanks for pointing out what was already pointed out in several posts two days ago.

I don't know what /tg/ would do without you, but it would be nice to find out.
>>
>>60805117
Lovecraft won't be remembered for much in 15 years other than his hate of blacks.
>>
>>60821678

Nah. If anything the chimp out Jemisin and other SJWs directed towards his work have made more people read it.

It's a form of the Streisand Effect.
>>
>>60799494
I wish I lived in the Hyborian Age.
>>
>>60799513
>aesir become the achaeans while the vanir become danes

deep lore
>>
>Howard
>Leiber
>Moorcock

Fuck, Marry, Kill
>>
>>60824932

Marry Leiber, he's a great guy, and the emotional support of a loving spouse would probably help increase his output.

Fuck Moorcock, he's a bit of a self-important edgelord who'd probably be great fun in small doses. He's also liable to take the love 'em and leave 'em thing well.

Kill Howard, so he doesn't have to do it himself, the poor guy.
>>
>>60825244
I appreciate how much thought you put into that.
>>
>>60821315
>Where can I start with Conan?
>https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/howard/robert_e/
Just dive in. There's a handful of continuity implications, but for the most part they're all standalone.
>>
>>60809334
The main difference is that Howard was actually dressed for a fedora.
>>
How do the original books compare to the comics? I'm reading the 2000s one right now because I'm a pleb and need pictures.
>>
>>60826196
The Dark horse ones are pretty good, both in art and fidelity to the tone of the books. The books are better of course because they are pure Conan, but at least they aren't Marvel Conan ones.
>>
>>60821766
>tfw I have friends who recommend Jemisin as the peak of modern fantasy
>>
>>60826267
>Jemisin
? What's that. I could understand Sanderson, in the Name of the Wind or the First law, they are some what popular, but I'm and avid reader and never heard of this one.
>>
>>60826256
This particular panel made me want to read it. Something about the bronze/brass helmet. Activated something inside of me.
>>
The way I understand it if you are doing a Yuan-ti campaign then you are automatically ripping off Conan, so what should I read to get some inspiration for it.
>>
>>60826340
SJW hack only promoted by people who believe in message more than story
>>
>>60826256

The early Dark Horse ones were excellent, but they went downhill in quality after Busiek left.
>>
>>60826494
Shadows in Zamboula for the cannibal cults kidnapping vibe.

People of the Black Circle for abetter understanding of Howard's interpretation of magic
>>
>>60827090
Thanks.
>>
Conan what is best in life?
>>
File: conan.jpg (5 KB, 261x193)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>60830343
To crush your enemies...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.