[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: IMG_4185.jpg (50 KB, 705x589)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
As a DM, has one of your players ruined an entire storyline you had planned out? As a player, have you ever pissed over your DM by not doing what you should do?
>>
>has one of your players ever ruined an entire storyline?
I just started DMing so not yet, I've actively encouraged my players to try to break the story if they find a way so I can teach myself how to make better designed ones in future.
>have you ever pissed off the DM by not doing what you should do?
I generally have a sense for what the main story is and I respect the effort they put into it enough to not look for ways to fuck with it. I even try to yank the leash on my fellow party members (in character, as I always seem to play the leader) who seem to be trying to do that.
I think the worst thing I did was have my nobility-hating rogue try to go solo for a night and nick some treasure from a noble that just paid us to save his town from undead (he was a prick though). Long story short, the noble and several civilians were horribly killed and I didn't make a copper off of it. But we had already done the quest important stuff in that town so the party just slipped away in the chaos and there weren't lasting consequences.
>>
>>60817627
>As a DM, has one of your players ruined an entire storyline you had planned out?

No. I don't plan "storylines" and doing so is a huge mistake. Plan one (1) session, have some rough idea what to do in the next one (no real definite plans, just an inkling) and then ignore future beyond that. This gives you flexibility to alter the campaign based on the players' actions.
>>
>>60817627
My brother actively makes optimized characters just to run roughshod over a DM who monologues way too much.

Also be more adaptive instead of blaming one person for ruining something you carefully laid out.
You want to be looked at with the kind of seriousness that'd get people on your side of the argument then provide your own example.
>>
>>60817627
>>60817772
These faggots>>60817831 >>60818299 probably play D&D so they aren't used to a game where the DM actually bothers coming up with a story.

The fact of the matter is OP, too many shit players exist in tabletop now that are more interested in rolling NAT 20's and shit than actually going through whatever story you have planned. There are even players who will purposefully avoid every event flag they see because they don't want to get railroaded before complaining about there being nothing to do 5 minutes later without a hint of irony of self-awareness.

The best way to deal with these types of players is to learn how to say no, not "yes, but" or "no, but" but N-O, period. There's literally nothing wrong with saying no to a player who is purposefully ruining the campaign for everyone else out of spite or because they're trying to be chaotic stupid and confusing LOLSORANDUMB faggotry with actual comedy. Sometimes telling someone to cut the bullshit is better than tossing hours of prep down the drain because someone thought to themselves "y'know what would be awesome, if I use my powers as a player, the ability to drive the story in whatever direction I want, and literally pull my dick out and piss on the king as he's busy talking to the rest of the party. Also I should pull out a dagger and try stabbing him, just because I can, because I'm CN."

Unless you're running a game for other DM's who know how much work goes into running a campaign, you're better off treating the average player like a kindergarten teacher who needs to carefully explain to Billy why eating paste isn't healthy and chasticizing them when they get pissy and think they run anything beyond the characters they're controlling.

People will complain about this post being too real but that's just because they know that deep down, they're the type of player being put on blast and it eats them up inside knowing how shitty they are as a player.
>>
>>60817627
>finger on the trigger
gunlets
>>
>>60818815
You sound like a shit GM to be honest.

Or you're just baiting.
>>
>>60818815
The game isnt your novel desu
>>
>>60817831
This.

There's a scenario, there's NPCs with their own wants/needs/desires/goals, and players with the same. Then you use your NPCs and create an environment where your players organically propel the narrative forward based on their character's desires, and the agreed upon tone of your game.

This doesnt mean you just let the players do whatever they want, but if everyone leans towards small town politics and doesnt take the hooks to go fight some BBEG, well then there's a mismatch between what the GM wants to play and the players and that needs to be worked out.
>>
>>60820293

He has just fired and it is recoiling.
>>
>>60822603
You sound like the exact type of player who'd get triggered by the truth, just as I expected.
>>60822642
The game also isn't a sandbox for you to fart all over the place while winking and nodding at how "quirky" your character is. Your character is shit, your ideas are trash, and the only reason you get away with as much as you do is because DM's nowadays are misguided and believe that you should always say yes, regardless of how retarded the players are and how quickly it causes them to burn out while trying to make sense of the cornucopia of shit that you've unleashed upon the table.
>>
>>60817627
One time, our DM trapped us in a rich kid's house. Said rich kid was basically fantasy Kevin McCallister. It was a shit ton of rooms filled with nothing but traps and we were stuck in the kitchen.

My character was low INT and WIS, playing a Gunslinging face. Completely out of his element, he just made a sandwich in the kitchen while the rest of the party solved the traps and puzzle. I peeved off the DM by actually doing that in real life too.
>>
>As a player, have you ever pissed over your DM by not doing what you should do?

No because the very nature of the game is near limitless possibilities. I don't go out of my way to fuck up the game for other people or the DM by doing shit that is stupid. One thing I notice that is the biggest issue is you have a good party with someone playing an evil character whos actions go against the party's alignment and hurt their progress.
>>
>>60823489
sweaty neckbeard
>>
>>60818815
I'm guessing some player killed your OC donut steel character.
>>
>>60823720
>"You hurt my fee-fees."
>"F-Fucking neckbeard!"
>>60823734
Nope, but I've killed my share of dipshit character concepts over the years. The way I see it, if you're going to cry when the dice fuck you over, you have no business playing a game built around it.

Go post a blog about your Mary Sue shit, don't come to my campaign expecting me to play with the kiddy gloves just because you "care" about your character.
>>
>>60823763
definitely a sweaty neckbeard
>>
>>60817627
>As a DM, has one of your players ruined an entire storyline you had planned out?
Back in high school when I ran D&D 3.5 one player ruined a relatively minor storyline I planned by being an Edgelord supreme. Taught me a good lesson about planning ahead and making things up on the fly. And after I adjusted to his shitty habits, I never got caught unaware by his Randumb acts.
>have you ever pissed off the DM by not doing what you should do?
Nope. So far my DM's have known what kind of player I am, so they are prepped. And I'm not the kind of dick who does something to be edgy and unexpected.
>>
>>60823772
>Anyone I don't like is a neckbeard
Go to sleep kid, it's past your bedtime.
>>
>>60823816
you’re going to pop a vein, you should take a break
>>
>>60818815
Other people replying don't understand that a GM's job isn't just to provide a world, it's to help guide a story. Create a framework and then let the players fill it. But if the players decide that instead of saving the princess or helping the small town they started in taht they want to become pirates, its easy enough to just close the game and then have someone else run.

I FUCKING hate pirates. Why the fuck do people always want to have pirate stories?
>>
>>60823893
See that's where a session zero is useful. It helps drive home what the story will be about, and it removes the excuse of "my character wouldn't do that!"
As for the spoiler. I blame the glamorous portrayals in fiction.
>>
> be me, cn tiefling bard
> long story short, incompetent party member wants revenge on an owlbear that fucked them sideways last session
> ain’t gonna let that shit happen again, so I follow as well as our light cleric
> innawoods
> cougar shows up
> ok fine, loud noises scare them off right?
> proceed to strum my lure as loud as possible
> shit performance roll
> fuck up my strings yaaaaaaay
> get ready for the next battle! (battle battle)
> fuck around with it, eventually me and fuckwad climb a tree
> light cleric gets fucked, me and fuckwad climb higher
> not knowing what to do, I decide to do some crazy shit cuz that’s cool right?
> attempt to fucking elbow drop on the cougar (pic related) guess what happens next!
> shit roll again, probably didn’t even matter cuz fall damage
> unconscious
> cleric attempts to stabilize me, succeeds
> cleric gets fucked anyway
> fails all death saving throws
> fuckwad climbs higher, but fails dex save, and fall damage exceeds max hp
> instant death
> DM says fuck it, campaign was a train wreck anyway due to fuckwad’s antics, doing one-shots from now on
>>
>>60823489
The game also isn't a sandbox for you to fart all over the place while winking and nodding at how "quirky" your plot is. Your NPCs are shit, your ideas are trash, and the only reason you get away with as much as you do is because Players nowadays are misguided and believe that they should always say yes to what the GM wants to run, regardless of how retarded the GM is and how quickly it causes them to burn out while trying to make sense of the inflated ego that you've unleashed upon the table.
>>
>>60823893
Do you know what's even worse? Pirate Guilds. Bands of pirates taking pirate bounties.
>>
>>60818815
I agree with most of this, especially the bit about shutting down lolrandumbs hard. Dunno why anyone would find issue with that part.
>>
File: 1487233373587.png (80 KB, 211x244)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>>60823949
>See that's where a session zero is useful.
>>
>>60824788
The sad part is that you thought you were being clever.
>>
As an OP, have you ever stopped sucking cock?
>>
>>60825043
Because they want to be chaotic stupid without any downsides and they get butthurt when someone tells them no because their parents never bothered to explain to them that people outside the immediate family are not obligated to wipe their ass on command after they have an accident.
>>
>>60823893
Maritime campaigns are Easy mode for GMing. Go anywhere, drop anything in their path, stop at any sort of locale, as exotic or familiar as you like. And if it doesn't pique their interest, they can get back innaboat and find somewhere fun to go.
>>
>>60822752
>unable to control the recoil of a fucking fake pistol
DOUBLE gunlet
>>
>>60826448
What ends up happening is that you get a boat, DM tells you there's an island, you to said island, fart around for a bit, then the players get bored and leave on a whim, then complain about shit being boring and that there's nothing for them to do aside from sailing.

At its core, a maritime campaign is just an Oregan Trails campaign with more water.
>>
>>60817627
> Decide to just half-ass my story.
> Because the players will eventually go off the rails and I can just do something with that
> My players decide to stay on the fucking rails despite me not building them
> They beat the mid boss who doesn't actually have a boss because I never imagined it going that far.

Life is suffering
>>
>>60818815

>it's another blame some shit that isn't related to D&D on D&D post
>it's another extreme hyperbole situation that has never happened and that you've never experienced and act like it's common or a serious issue
>it's another "people these days" posts as though player behavior has seriously changed in many years
>It's another literally doesn't understand what a sandbox is post
>"If you disagree with me you're this strawman I just made"

Christ. Stop.
>>
>>60817627
>As a DM, has one of your players ruined an entire storyline you had planned out?

No, and thinking about it that way really makes you That DM material. My players have done crazy shit I would've never expected, but that's the fun of roleplaying. If I forced them into "my storyline" or quantum ogre'd them it'd take a lot of the fun out of roleplaying and I might as well just sit down and write my shit ass story.

However, the players have surprised me in amazing ways and went completely of the rails. They even created a murder mystery for themselves due to memoryloss fuckery.
>>
>>60826936
t. Triggered Chaotic Stupid Player
>>
>>60824179
To be fair, you don't sound much better than FW
>>
>>60817627
Not an entire storyline, but the fun of someone else. They were Evil and wanted to kill Santa. One player usually comes in late and his character just wanted Santa's coat. At that moment I planned that his coat would transform the person into the new Santa but doesn't change personality or alignment. During the painful transformation another player just took the coat off. I was pretty pissed as he interrupted the entire scene which he usually does and he had no clue what was going on. I just denied that it did anything and that it was stuck on the body. Seriously, the New Santa wasn't been able to do anything cool for the entire session so I wanted him to have it.

As a player, I even positively metagamed by going to a place where I would find a player character so we could team up. So no.




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.