[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: dragpm.jpg (209 KB, 1600x1051)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
I don't know if it is because i lack knowledge of the lore or something, but as a DM i just can't really handle the concept and coolness of dragons.

I normally see them as great territorial beasts and that is mostly how i use them, nothing more than something like a big magical panther or something similar. I don't understand magical smart dragons that can disguise themselves and have secret agendas or dragons that study ancient magic, i just don't think that is something interesting.

If you can, sell me on dragons, but something besides them being big magical flying lizards.
>>
>>61371696
...Why?

If that's your style do that. There's no right way to use a fictional concept.
>>
>>61372180
i just want ideas of how to do more with dragons. I don't like using suck a mythical creature as a lich pet or just a monster that the party bothered by accident.
>>
A good middle ground between feral beast and the 'dragons are actually super speciul mega geniuses since before the dawn of time' is make them the equivalent of magical lottery winners.

They don't learn magic they just crush anything in their way because they either have way more of it or their natural abilities are stupendously better than the average person.

They don't have great agenda because they've never needed to really plan. Their basically the orc warband leader scaled up from canon fodder to campaign villain.
>>
>>61372376
>wizards carefully learn magical rituals with the power of their mind
>sorcerers have the charisma to convince the universe to do what they ask
>dragons say fuck it, raw power that shit
>>
>>61372276
Why do more with a monster you aren't interested in?
>>
>>61373092
Depends on setting
>>
>>61371696
I think your style is perfectly valid. A lot of people imagine dragons as being almost like demigods, and I think it's more interesting if they see themselves like that but they're really just powerful mortal creatures and can be killed as dead as anything else. At the end of the day, they exist in the concept of the game to be killed by adventurers.
>>
>>61373247
>imagine dragons

WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE
>>
>>61371696
You could always have them as dealmakers, bankers, that sort of thing. Nothing wrong with making deals with a dragon.
>>
>>61374134
Shut the fuck up Lofwyr!
>>
>>61371696
Dragons are, from a narative standpoint, a tool. You can use them however you like.

Personally, I have a preference for dragons like in Wakfu/Dofus, which are sort of eternally reincarnating demi-gods.
>>
>>61374221
I am quite sure I have no idea what you are referring to, little man.
>>
>>61371696
Read some Shadowrun.
>>
>>61374134
Never trust the scaled jew
>>
>>61372276
You can make them more like a humanoid antagonist. Make a dragon that is aiming for something (conquering a kingdom, capturing someone, etc...), and have them be cunning, arrogant and intimidating rulers. They mostly use their servants/slaves to do the works, mostly waiting patiently that they finish, and will fight only when the PC have truly angered them.

I mean that's how I'll do it, but there must be other way.
>>
>>61373247
>they exist in the concept of the game to be killed

I think you're confusing dragons with elves
>>
bump
>>
Kinda curious. Are dragons considered trite? What could fill the narritives role they fill?

I love the myriad uses of dragons but they seem so... Common place.
>>
>>61379060
I don't consider them trite.

Maybe you should decide for yourself instead of appealing to a random consensus
>>
>>61379078
I can decide for myself, just curious if others in the hobby might find them fatigue inducing ( they seem less likely to draw ire than elves or dwarves), and if so what might they replace the narrative niche if they choose to do so.

I'm using were dragons as a race in my setting so I do like them.
>>
>>61371696
Ive never seen the point of it. You have liches, mind flayers, etc, why do dragons need to be anything but the biggest & baddest monsters?
>>
>>61371696
>sell me on dragons, but something besides them being big magical flying lizards
literally why? I really don't get the point of this thread
>>
>>61371696
In a setting I made Dragon's were noble beasts with vast intelligence and power, and they would often lead kingdoms of lesser draconic creatures. Having a Draconic court of sorts, made up of lesser creatures (Wyrms, Wyverns, Linnorms, etc.) They would enslave humanoid's by having them partake and get addicted to the power of Dragon's blood, making them become Dragonborn. and below them would be their riding beasts drakes, and then their slave/workmen Kobold's.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.