[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1534268364098.jpg (191 KB, 1200x1200)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>Unearthed Arcana: Dragonmarks
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Dragonmarks.pdf

>5e Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
Stable releases - https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread:
>>61973045
>>
File: 1520878671687.jpg (119 KB, 655x578)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>pick Life Cleric
>need 15 Str to eventually get good armor
Strength is really the most useless stat, what a waste
Maybe I should just slap an 8 on it and eat the 10 speed penalty
>>
>>61985665
>Brown elf
>ears are exactly triangular
Awful art
>>
>>61985722
>not playing a dworf cleric
Pleb
>>
>>61985722
You can't just go 14 Dex + Medium armor?
>>
File: FUCKING DORKS 2.jpg (13 KB, 263x256)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>61985722
>not a dwarf
>wants to ignore strength
>doesn't want to wear medium armor
>>
>>61985726
She probably uses an ear straightener.
This is good, she will fetch a better price later.
>>
>>61985796
>>61985726
>>61985722
>Play Dwarf Cleric
>Can dump Strength safely
>But it would make me feel like a munchkin
>Besides, dorf with a dumped Str is un-dorflike
>Get 15 Strength with pointbuy
>Make a melee attack like two times in the entire campaign
>>
File: fishe.png (1 MB, 1806x1000)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>61985834
See, this guy gets it
>>
>>61985722
Just wear a Chain Shirt. Good AC, no Stealth disadvantage, lightweight, and you can RP like you're not wearing armor. It's the kevlar vest of D&D.
>>
I kinda wanna play a Dwarven Warlock. What are some good options to take?
>>
>>61985722
>need 15 Str to eventually get good armor
>Strength is really the most useless stat
>The stat I need for the thing I want is useless
???
>>
>>61985890
Your character dug to deep and found a sealed Great Old One.
>>
You could always just not get splint or plate? Stick with 13 str and just wear a chain mail all game. Who knows, DM might toss a +1 chain mail at you.
>>
>>61985895
>>Strength is really the most useless stat
Have you ever heard of Intelligence? And quite possibly Charisma, depending on campaign?
>>
>>61985890
You needed help getting back your ancestral home so you made a pact with a Fiend, but you fucked up and is now a demon playground.
>>
>>61985895
Strength is only needed for two things in the game:
- Armor requirements
- Two Handed Weapons
And the armor requirement only "needs" Str you don't actually "use" it.

Going Dex and using Finesse weapons is always a better choice. Dex adds to your initiative, your armor class, an important saving throw. Even for escaping grapples, you can use Dex instead of Str.
Strength adds nothing of value.
>>
>>61985941
Intelligence is a stat literally designed to Nerf the Wizard from being the most powerful class in the game

imagine if Wizards could run off Wis
>>
File: 980x.png (287 KB, 429x481)
287 KB
287 KB PNG
>>61985834
I do this always. You're a good dwarf.
>>
>>61985992
carry capacity
jump distance
athletics
strength saves
>>
>>61986008
Too bad it didn't work, and now there's just a useless stat in the game.
>>
>>61986027
Bag of Holding
Magic
Magic
Only worthwhile thing because that's the DM forcing you to use that dump stat
>>
>>61986027
These are things that are not used very commonly, and athletics can usually be replaced by acrobatics in many scenarios.

Whereas armor class, initiative and dexterity saves are used far more frequently.
>>
Why don't we have a "The Virgin Wizard" vs "The Chad Bard" yet?
We all know bards are way cooler and way more creative than wizard players.
Social encounters, combat encounters, general look, and general helpfulness are all dominated by the bard and the wizard can't do anything about it.
Can't we all agree on that?
>>
>>61986059
>>61986048
>athletics can usually be replaced by acrobatics
>Bag of Holding
That's just theorycrafting. If the DM knows what he's doing he's going to balance it out.
>>
>>61985890
You steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that pixie following you around.
>>
>>61986027
>carry capacity
the RAW limit is so high you'll never meet it, at least with a 10
>jump distance
I have literally never had a DM that lets me just clear jumps without rolling
>athletics
fair
>strength saves
worse than dex saves
>muh two-handed weapons
muh sharpshitter
>>
>>61985992
>Going Dex and using Finesse weapons is always a better choice
Then play a dex cleric and have your AC suffer because your dex is 16
>>
>>61986059
>These are things that are not used very commonly,
More commonly than knowledge checks, that's for sure.

>athletics can usually be replaced by acrobatics in many scenarios.
Only if your DM is doormat who haven't read the book.
>>
>>61985665
Why the are so few proper arts of sun elves where have bronze skin?
>>
>>61986059
>athletics can usually be replaced by acrobatics
>he's never shoved someone
Fun fact, a Barbarian's rage gives them advantage on Shove and Grapple, as both are Strength-based checks.
>>
>>61986135
Isn't that how they are supposed to look?
>>
>>61986112
Half plate maxes at 17 with 14 dex, full plate is 18 The dex comes with better initiative and arguably the best saving throw
You can also go Breastplate and not having disadvantage on stealth checks
>>
>>61985992
>Two handed melee weapons are a lot more powerful especially considering PAM, GWM etc
>Athletics is needed for Shoving or Grappling, so Strength works a lot better for Sword and Board
In all honesty, it is kind of underpowered and I would have made the best heavy armor actually better than the best medium armor.
>>
>>61986165
>You can have less AC with dex
>You can also have even less AC with dex
>>
>>61986168
Strength got nerfed hard when they clarified you can only use Shield Mastery bonus-action shove AFTER you attack so you don't get the advantage yourself.
>>
File: Frost Worm.png (126 KB, 464x860)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
What do you think of this creature?
What should I add / remove?
What should its CR be? (I already ran it through a calculator)
Which abilities do you like? Not like?
Is it too bloated?
Would you use this monster?
Is anything misworded or badly phrased?
>>
>>61986168
>Two handed melee weapons are a lot more powerful especially considering PAM, GWM etc
Dex has CBE/SS, which is far better thanks to the Archery Fighting Style
>Athletics is needed for Shoving or Grappling, so Strength works a lot better for Sword and Board
Only if you take the Shield Master feat, and even then if you listen to the Crawford's RAI it's not that good as an option, leaving Dex as a better stat for straight damage avoidance for the saves and initiative
>>
>>61986190
And better skills, saves, naked AC if you get jumped on without your Plate Armour (takes a while to wear), non-heavy armour costs less and base strength is enough for carrying your equipment by yourself
>>
>>61986168
>I would have made the best heavy armor actually better than the best medium armor
Plate is 18
Halfplate is 15+2
>>
>>61986152
Yes, I'm asking why there are so few proper depictions of them.
90% of pictures on deviantart and elsewhere are pale elves.
>>
>>61986230
You would just miss out on advantage on one attack that way, but I'm pretty sure most tables rule it that you can shove first.
Now, the fact that a rogue can dump str and just take expertise in athletics and have the best of both world is bull shit.
>All martial classes should get a choice between getting a bonus between Acrobatics or Athletics between Level 5 and 10.
>>
>>61986237
AC seems high but the fire vulnerability will probably balance that out
Consider toning down the bite and breath by maybe 5 each
>>
>>61986291
I'm not arguing that strength is better. I'm saying strength isn't useless because it's there if you want higher AC
>>
>>61986237
Cone of Cold is a Constitution saving throw.
>>
>>61986307
You miss out on advantage with "shove last" because the monster can get up by using half movement
>>
>>61986306
Mostly nobody drawing the art reads the actual descriptions, they just look at prior visual depictions.
>>
URGENT assistance needed.

What invocations should I keep on my Warlock? It's a level 7 Hexblade (just in the process of levelling up to 7) and currently I have the following, in chronological order:

>Agonizing Blast
>Improved Pact Weapon
>Thirsting Blade

I'm replacing Improved Pact Weapon, since I also got a +2 weapon just before the level up to 7. So I can basically choose 2 new Eldritch Invocations for level 7.

I originally considered:
>Relentless Hex
>Eldritch Smite

But I was told that Maddening Hex is way better than Relentless Hex, and that Tomb of Levistus is also a "must have" / life saving invocation to have. Also, it should be noted that our party does not Short Rest often, because I'm the only one who gets abilities back on Short Rest, everyone else can just roll their Hit Dice or maybe use Arcane Recovery once. That's why I find Eldritch Smite maybe a bit too intimidating.
>>
>>61986258
>Two handed melee weapons
>melee weapons
Dex is way better for ranged fighting, and comparable to str Melee build

Shield Master is still a great feat which adds a +2 to Dex Saves, No damage on passed Dex Saves, and advantage on melee attacks for the rest of your party on a single target every turn

>>61986298
I forgot that Half-Plate still incurred the penalty for stealth checks. Otherwise it is arguably just as good, and with MAM it is just better than Plate Armor
>>
>>61986341
Thats only if you rule it to be after the Attack Action and not simply after an attack. That is a dumb ruling, but it is still viable if there are a few other front liners.
>>
>>61986384
Tomb of Levistus ends your Hex and Hexblade's Curse. So it's an absolutely worthless Invocation for a Hexblade.
>>
>>61986327
If you're using strength then you'd like to use Heavy weapons, all two-handed.
But with Dex you don't have two-handed Finesse weapons to use, so having a shield is fairly obvious.
Therefore you will close that AC gap and possibly even come ahead, with the only relevant thing for the strength user remaining the GWM.
That said I love playing STR based characters and I find DEX nice only as a complementary stat on someone not involved into actual combat like a wizard. I didn't pick GWM once on the 3 different characters I played with STR as the primary stat.
>>
>>61986387
You can fight in melee with CBE/SS since you have no penalty to do so AND you have more attack than a GWM/PAM guy.
>>
>>61986422
>TWF with Extra Attack
>first attack is shove
>second attack w/ advantage
>bonus attack w/ advantage
Same amount of attacks with advantage, doesn't need a feat (but should have one), Crawford can't say shit, and favors DEX builds.
>>
>>61986306
Novel writers, most specifically that lady who wrote about nothing except Elf shit, never really played much or read many descriptions and just wrote traditional fantasy elves.
Like most early 90’s fantasy authors she was white af.
>>
How do you fix two-weapon fighting in 5e?
>>
>>61986307
>t I'm pretty sure most tables rule it that you can shove first.
Dunno, the Shove-first interpretation i found on /5eg/ really surprised me and my DM, (independently) ruled it Attack-first, Shove-later as well.
>>
>>61986529
I preten'd it's OK and noone will notice. We rarely play higher than 5, which might have something to do with that, though.
>>
>>61986482
While its true that you can fight in close range, you do not have the same amount of battlefield control as the PAM user.
>>61986489
>Drawing and Stowing in the same turn
>Dex being better at shoving than Str
>>
>>61986529
Have the DW feat remove the bonus action cost.
>>
>>61986563
>>61986230
Why would you do this?
>>
>>61986529
Another extra attack at 11th level
>>
>>61986529
PAM and CBE just completely outlcass it.
Keep it for melee rogues, rangers and Bladesingers.
>>
>>61986614
Because then it is more in line with other non-broken feats.

Non-broken being the key word here.
>>
>>61986652
>broken
I don't think you understand what this means
>>
>>61986592
Alternatively, i would just ban all weapon feats, meaning the main advantage glave-wielding martial has against dual-wielder is gone.
>>
>>61986661
In this context i mean option that is wildly out of the power level of others. And i mean by it GWM/PAM feat. If i am wrong, please show me how.
>>
>>61986702
Take away all the magic feats except Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate and then it is still a maybe.
>>
>>61986702
You can shove as a bonus action when you attack if you are wearing a shield. Woo, big deal You can already shove and attack the same guy once you gain multiple attacks.
>>
>>61986795
>You can already shove and attack the same guy once you gain multiple attacks.
Yeah, but attack once or twice is quite big difference as you might have noticed.
>>
>>61986857
Not especially. There are many effects which can give you advantage on attacks. Shoving and then attacking was a simple one, but by no means was it guaranteed or any any way overpowering. It was just a nice advantage and alternative to other builds
>>
Hey so UAs twilight circle was shit but actually pretty cool concept-wise so I tried fixing the broken stuff and making it less boring to play. How does this work for a revision?
>>
>Dm on a streak of natural 20s
>I'm playing a bard with a special didgeridoo of the bards and the enemies start running towards me
>Cast sanctuary on myself with my awesome didgeridoo
>Dm wastes 5 natural 20s, 1 natural 17 and 1 natural 14 (the monster had +5) on wisdom saves with different on 2 enemies
>Misses with every single attack roll
>Toot my didgeridoo then smack the guy in the head (was already injured from fighting our rogue)
>He falls down
Feels fucking good, man.
Bob and weave.
>>
>>61986596
>Drawing and Stowing in the same turn
No? Shove doesn't require a free hand.
>Dex being better at shoving than Str
Got me there, but most weapons TWF uses are finesse, you're not going to get more than a d8 out of any weapon, so might as well use a rapier, and it stops you from using a shield, so you could use the AC boost.
>>
>>61987002
What the fuck, is your DM using weighted spindown dice?
>>
>>61987076
Roll20 dice.
>>
>>61987002
>Playing the didgeridoo
Swear to fucking god, bards. Fucking BARDS.
>>
>>61987121
>carve holes in a greatmaul
>doot doot
>>
>>61987092
I saw 5 1s rolled on a row by a player once on Roll20, absolutely demoralizing.
>>
>>61987135
Fuck you, have fun fighting a mayonnaise elemental.
>>
best digital charsheet?
>>
>>61987170
>bards get three instrument proficiencies
>digeridoo, sousaphone, and timpani
For those wondering when encumbrance comes up in adventures, take notes.
>>
>>61987212
orcpub2, get the book stuff from their discord
>>
I've gotta run a one-shot tomorrow using one-shot characters. How do you decide what adventure to use for these things? Every cool adventure I've got that could work feels like one I might want to save for when the party has more permanent characters.
>>
>>61987212
this one cuz its got space in the back for extra backstory/fluff notes and spell descs for people who dont cart around or own books
>>
What's better for a Barbarian, 17/13/16 or 17/14/15? Str/Dex/Con
>>
>>61987232
What level are they?
>>
>>61987250
Higher Con. Your AC will be the same either way (you aren't wearing armor, are you?), the extra health is nice at lower levels, and you can always ASI.
>>
>>61986337
Good point, I will change that.

>>61986318
Will do.
>>
>>61987250
18/18/18
>>
>>61987290
They're level 8 for this one-shot to give them a taste of higher-level characters, but only level 4 in the main campaign. We're doing a one-shot because it's been over a month since we played and not everyone can make it, but those who can are itching to play
>>
>>61987220
You are a soulless husk of a being who purely exists to torture others.

You belong here.
>>
>>61987359
White Plume Mountain is from Tales from the Yawning Portal, it's made for level 8's and is one hell of a 2e-style funhouse. Because it's a one-shot you can let them keep the weapons because canonically, anyone who keeps a sentient weapon from White Plume Mountain has a massive bounty on their head, both from the owners and from every giant looking to climb the Ordning.
>>
>>61987309
>barbarian
>wearing armor
The only thing Dwarfier than wearing armor is not wearing armor and seeing arrows deflect off your skin
>>
>>61987424
Oh yeah, I've got Tales of the Yawning Portal! I've been waiting to run White Plume Mountain, but I guess this would be a good time to break it out.
plus their main characters could eventually hear about a bounty on some other adventurers who took the weapons from White Plume Mountain
>>
>>61987444
>Arrows deflect off the dwarf's sturdy biceps as the invaders start to swoon
>>
>>61986643
The thing that makes PAM so great is how well it meshes with GWM though. If GWM didn't exist, two-weapon fighting and PAM would be reasonably equivalent.

Dual Wielder is not a bad feat on its own, it's just that you don't have options that synergize with it as well as if you were wielding a heavy weapon or a ranged weapon. Which makes sense, obviously. Maybe it'd just need an extra bullet point, like:

Blade flurry. After attacking with a melee weapon in each hand, your speed increases by 5' on this turn and you don't provoke opportunity attacks during your move.

But that'd give it four bullet points and that's a lot.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (474 KB, 1200x1552)
474 KB
474 KB PNG
How does this make you feel white boi?
>>
>>61987516
Spell attacks and spells are redundant
No space for temp HP
No space for death saves
Spells area is cramped
Skills should just list all the skills and have dots to indicate proficiency/expertise
What is "vision" supposed to represent? Darkvision or Passive Perception?
>>
>>61987516
Lots of dead space. I don't really like the flow of it either as my eyes naturally go to the top left corner when reading something, but that's just the weapon section. Also the skill and proficiency section is an abomination. Also no inventory, but I guess you have a whole empty back to work with (yuck)
>>
>>61987465
Have fun! White Plume Mountain is also pretty fun to run players through again, because if they're anything like my group, they'll have forgotten most of the puzzle answers.
>>
>>61987593
>>61987614
Lol it ain't mine, I just found it online. It just makes my eyes bleed and I wanted to show people
>>
>>61985834
>>61985796
>be wood elf
>ignore str requirements
>still as fast as a dwarf
>be v. human
>ignore str requirements
>even faster than dwarf despite penalty

>>61985722
Or you can use medium armour? Nobody's forcing you to use heavy armour, it's only +1 AC.

Don't undervalue athletics though.
>>
>>61987656
I mean it's not terrible, with some changes it could definitely work.
>>
>>61986422
>>61986341
>People who act like shove is only good for advantage
This is why god has forsaken you.
>>
>>61987477
>your homebrew says you can use your AC in place of your Charisma
>did you mean the other way around?
>>
>>61987722
It's pretty terrible.
>>
>>61987729
you need to use it in combination with grappling or some other restraint, yes we know
>>
File: 1528737448165.jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Clerics should get automatic proficiency + expertise with religion

I'm not a very clever man (11 int) it's dumb that I start with only +2 Religion and I have to spend one out of two skill proficiencies to get that.

For a fairly basic religious matter (DC 10) a commoner has a 55% chance of knowing it (roll 10 or higher) whereas I have 65% chance of knowing it (roll 8 or higher).
That's an almost negligible difference, if you asked us 20 religious questions the average commoner would know 11 and I would know 13. That's not a cleric, that's just a guy who occasionally goes to church.
>>
>>61987250
Doesn't matter. They end up the same way if you use your ASI on stats.

However, since you may want to take feats if you're not a barbarogue, that +1/+1 may get delayed. So...
Take the higher dex if you're ancestral guardians, take the higher con if you're anything else.
>>
File: armstrong.jpg (173 KB, 640x480)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>61987737
>No, you read that right.
>>
Still working on a homebrew warlock patron.
>tweaked the fluff to include examples of what D&D entities might be a patron for this warlock
>redid the entire level 6 class feat to be more diverse in function

things to do
>possibly change the scaling of the first level feats damage
>reword or redo the level 10 feat
>further tool level fourteen class feat
>playtest
>>
>>61987737
>I walk into the tavern clad in full platemail
>Okay, you overhear two socialites in the corner whispering to each other.
>Can I roll perception to try to hear what they're saying?
>I'll just give it to you, one is staring at you while whispering to the other 'hoo boy i can't NOT fuck him'
>>
>>61987799
No you flaming faggot
You simply walk away from the enemy, who now can't catch up to you or your team because they're shoved prone.
>>
Can I roll up Chain Mail (the heavy armor) and put it in my backpack or is that just never going to work?

I don't want to walk around with that shit every day
>>
>>61987808
Clerics are Clerics because of their faith in their god, not their knowledge of godly lore in general. A cleric of Lathander, born and raised in Neverwinter, probably won't have the first idea who Labelas Enoreth is beyond "I think that's an Elf god".
>>
>>61987853
Suck your DM's dick for a way to summon armor onto your body.
>>
>>61987808
Yeah I noticed that too and it's hard to rationalize.
>>
>>61987819
Barbarogue is tempting but I can't bring myself to do it. The Barb20 capstone is too fucking sweet.
>>
>>61987893
>Implying you'll ever reach barb20
>Implying most of your time won't be left suffering through the wastes that is most of the mid-late level barbarian features
>>
>>61987853
There's a table in PHB or DMG that specifies how long it takes to don and doff armor. Chain Mail is probably on the lower end, and it logically should fit in a backpack. At worst you'd tie it onto a strap with a rope.
>>
Guys, can I blog post?
I'm getting a little depressed and demotivated by game and party to the point where after a year and change of regular gaming I almost kinda wanna quit.

It's like everything is a chore for them now, and they're not quitting out of inertia and avoiding to feel like failures, but then again they're not trying and keep procrastinating on all the plot hooks I go to massive lengths to set up and juggle in real time to try and keep the world natural and engaging.

Having consequences bite them in the ass is only making them HIDE HARDER

As a DM I'm not trying to be adversarial, but it's getting real hard to keep this module organic and vindictively attacking them with overwhelming odds as "punishment".

I'd try and talk to them like adults but when similar issues have been brooched regarding me changing up the canpaignnthey go "Noooo, it has to be organic, so I can truly act like what my character would doooo" but at this point I'm feeling like na ass who is playing with himself in front of these folk who want to go take a long rest at 16 o clock after having a couple of talks with town NPC's and slaying a fucking spy imp
>>
>>61987808
Why the fuck should a Cleric of Lolth know the fucking high end Hymn of the Holy Transubstantiation of the Shining Dawn from the Cathequism of Lathander?
>>
>>61987909
I'm a Zealot Barbarian, so it's not like dying is much of a penalty to my level advancement. Just drag me to a temple and tell the priests to try a Raise Dead without the materials, it'll work.
>>
>>61987914
I mean, if there's no reason the party can't rest to potentially save their bacon if a real fight breaks out, they should be resting.
So it's your job to stop them from resting.
>>
File: 1536534082508.jpg (15 KB, 500x333)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>61987975
>Zealot barbarian

What a fucking meme of an archetype. Who allowed this to exist? Who would be lame enough to play something like this?
>>
>>61987959
She took the extra course in cleric college for the points, and because it looks good on her resumé.
>>61987914
Jesus Christ you are whipped by your party and their addiction to D&D.
>>
File: 010 - jgfDMUD.png (276 KB, 512x368)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
>>61987909
>instead of wasting through the mid-late level barb features so you can get barb20
>you should barb19/rogue1 so you can waste through the mid-late barb features with no real end goal
>>
>>61987808
Rando commoners usually don't have the benefit of being so Favored by God that if they have a theological question regarding scripture, they can cast a ritual that asks God for the answer directly
>>
Why are people always jerking off PAM? Is it in conjunction with sentinel to make enemies stop in their tracks just before they get into melee range or is there another synergy I’m not autistic enough to see?

t.new hexblade player who picked the class for fun and flavor
>>
>>61987995
>Still implying you'll ever reach level 20
>Implying you would take more than 5 levels (6 with a good archetype) in barbarian
It's like you want to suffer.
>>
>>61987914
Time to start the clock. The mayor's wife and or daughter has been kidnapped and a bunch of orcs or something are going to sacrifice her to a god or whatever. YOU HAVE 72 HOURS GO
>>
File: 1286210165302.jpg (23 KB, 429x410)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>61987911
Well shit, Chain Mail weighs 55lbs (25kg) and is heavy armor
The backpack only supports 30lbs of gear

I guess I have to wear this shitty chainmail all day long
>>
File: slow_clap.gif (3.22 MB, 498x498)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB GIF
>>61988007
>picking a class for fun and flavor
We need more people like you. Procreate.
>>
>>61988036
That's why you buy a pony like good adventurers do.
>>
>>61985992
>Dex adds to your armor class
...so does strength, by letting you wear heavy armor
>>
>>61988056
>Wanting some disgusting stubborn horse when you can have a perfectly cute and agreeable donkey
>>
File: 1535737868693.jpg (34 KB, 363x463)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>61988007
>hexblade
>flavor
>>
>>61987988
>he doesn't want to play the chaotic good crusader that smites evil and spreads his religion
>>
>>61988072
A donkey is fine too.
>>
>>61988056
I'd use a donkey, but would you ever actually store a very expensive piece of item (chainmail armor) on a donkey and then leave it somewhere while you go about your business?
>>
>>61987808
You're disregarding that you probably have higher wisdom than a commoner. You don't have to, but chances are you have +5 over the commoner.

If the religious questions are simple questions, you'll get most of them, the commoner will then get half.
If the questions are hard questions (DC 15, maybe?) then the commoner is gonna get, what, 5 of them? And you'll be getting 10 of them or so. At level 1. So twice as much.
Something obscure? DC 20. The commoner gets 1 question right, you get maybe 5.

And this isn't about your god specifically. The DC 10 might just be about a commonly known god that isn't your god. DC 15 might be about another nation's various gods that commoners may still have heard tales about here and there and DC 20 is gonna be some obscure god of death the commoners don't even want to know about, so yeah.

If you really want to step it up and say 'you need to do a religious ritual', you could ask for 3 religion checks DC 10, perhaps?
The commoner has a 12% or so chance of success.
You have a 42% or so chance of success. At level 1.
>>
>>61988007
>liking hexblade flavour
Are you Mearls?
>>
>>61987808
IMO it should only be for their god/religion.
>>
>>61986451
Strength characters can use shields too. They do so by sacrificing DPR, just like dex characters do.

Comparing the armor class of a shield using dex character to a non shield using str character doesn't make sense. The str character will massively out DPR the dex character because he's two-handing.
>>
>>61988084
Yeah the weapon is actually the soul of a noble his family failed to protect many generations ago. It started as mostly haunting at first, but now provides boons to those who act to protect nobility.
>>
>>61987977
There's a bunch of real fights all over, and a "boy you better take care of them fights before they end badly" missions, but the reply to that has been essentially shoving their heads in the sand.

I could just force things to end badly without them, but I'm just playing with myself here, I rather just stay at home masturbating.
>>
>>61988122
Religion is a knowledge skill so it uses Int, like Arcana or History or Nature
>>
File: 1500389549358.gif (1.98 MB, 216x150)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
>>61988098
You can do that flavour on basically any other barbarian.

Zealot is dogshite 'Hey, you do more damage when you attack because having an actual feature would be too much brainpower for you' and 'hey, while everybody else is playing a game where death is a constant threat and meaningful, you didn't want to play D&D so you decided to make your OC never die ever'

Let's hope the DM is running one of those 'chance of ressurection magic failing with increasing DC each time you revive' rules.
>>
>>61988133
>laughs in sharpshooter
>>
>>61988126
>using the fluff from the books word for word
>especially on a bad ass potentially sentient weapon giving you magic powers

Mearls can fuck off with his goth waifu
>>
>>61988084
Only a shit player would say that.
>>61988119
Only a shit DM would do that.
>>
>>61988036
The backpack only supports 30lbs inside it, strap it on the outside like a proper hiker and or hobo.
Alternatively, get a better backpack. 30lbs maximum? Are you going to middle school? Hiking backpacks IRL can carry 50 or 60 lbs. Soldiers IRL carry 60 to 100 lbs of gear. Figure it out.
>>
>>61988146
Oh fug I forgot for a moment
Well, if you have poor int then not remembering stuff about all sorts of other gods is to be expected, isn't it? If a commoner has 10 int, they probably have at least some bare modicum of education rather than being an out back hick farmer isolated from all society. They might be a city person.

You'd might also still use wisdom for religion where appropriate, i.e. for prayers.
>>
>google "scale mail"
>third result is this
Bazelgeuse is that you?
>>
File: 1536601403705.png (95 KB, 400x400)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>61988199
>>
I want to make the Flagellant from Darkest Dungeon as a Zealot barb, but he does have a few spells. Should I take:
>1 level in war cleric for a few spells and a nice bonus action attack
>2 levels in war cleric for that delicious +10 to hit to make sure my very few spells are effective
>3 levels in war cleric for 2nd-level spells
>Magic Initiate Cleric
I only really want a few spells: Cure Wounds, Inflict Wounds, Command maybe. What's the best way to go?
>>
>>61988195
>TFW you keep forgetting that 10 in a stat is actually decent for a mortal powerless being because everyone wants to roll as high as possible
>>
>>61988179
But you're not liking the hexblade flavour then since you're changing it.
Still terrible fluff
>>
>>61988169
>raise dead costing 500 gold gives death meaning
lmao
>>
>>61988212
>2 levels in war cleric for that delicious +10 to hit to make sure my very few spells are effective
This sounds the most fun, desu
>>
>>61988169
>His DM doesn't have monster destroy the corpses

Okay
>>
>>61988212
Hot take: four levels in War Cleric so you don't miss an ASI
>>
>>61988237
Isn’t the hex blade flavor essentially a caster who gets their magic from an entity bound within a weapon?

There’s even some ambiguity around the shadowfell involvement if I’m remembering correctly
>>
>>61988242
>Implying you'll always be using a 500gp revive
Sometimes you might be disintegrated or some shit, lose a limb, etc.

In such cases you might need a much higher level spell. But fortunately, as long as your god has appointed you a high level spellcaster and told him 'if you ever feel safe enough to use your leftover magic before bed, just ressurect one of the zealot champions for free okay thank you'

The gold also means that there's at least some sort of penalty to dying and a reason not to die. Ressurection is bad enough as is, without removing the penalties.

>>61988263
>Implying destroying the corpses is going to help beyond having to find a higher level spellcaster against a Zealot
>>
>>61988263
>Destroying perfectly good corpses
I bet you use plastic cups and straws for drinking too you wasteful bastard.
>>
>>61988119
You'll be either staying at an inn where you can store your gear or you'll be making camp in the wilderness where it's unlikely that someone will come steal it
>>
>>61988007
>PAM
Gives you something to do with your Bonus Action, and a Reaction attack.
More attacks is pretty damn good
Which is why GWM is also good.
GWM also allows you to trade some chance to hit (which you often do not need) for a substantial damage boost.

The combination is important for pretty much any Fighter.
As a Hexblade you are less reliant on min/maxing, you're a caster afterall.
>>
>>61988263
Also if you didn't get to bring back the corpse anyway chances are you TPKed or had to retreat and fucked up many other things anyway. And enemies probably aren't usually going to mutiliate corpses while someone is stabbing their back.
>>
>>61988212
Why not just War Cleric at that point?
You get to actually use that heavy armor proficency, and you can focus on weapon enhancing spells like Crusaders Mantle or Magic Weapon.

Hell, why not Paladin?
>>
>>61988007
As >>61988293
Said.
You get up to 200% or 100% more attacks, and on those attacks, even if they're not quite as strong, you can add GWM's +10 damage.

You can also add features such as improved divine smite to each attack.
>>
>>61988283
>resurrection costing 1000 gold gives death meaning
lmao
>>
>Like to mix up combats, with PCs facing both brutes, rogue types and spellcasters
>Mostly end up running beast encounters
Damn it, if only Owlbear mages were a thing. I guess I can always bullshit something about (insert local corruption) giving them magical powers, but still.
>>
>>61988278
>You have made your pact with a mysterious entity from the Shadowfell—a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadow. The mighty sword Blackrazor is the most notable of these weapons, which have been spread across the multiverse over the ages. The shadowy force behind these weapons can offer power to warlocks who form pacts with it. Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell. Others forgo such arms, content to weave the dark magic of that plane into their spellcasting.

>Because the Raven Queen is known to have forged the first of these weapons, many sages speculate that she and the force are one and that the weapons, along with hexblade warlocks, are tools she uses to manipulate events on the Material Plane to her inscrutable ends.

Meh.
>>
>>61988378

Do what anyone does and ask your DM to remove the Raven Queen fluff. Have it be something actually interesting.

Honestly the amount of shit thats tied to the Raven Queen this edition is tiring.
>>
>>61988330
25000gp if it doesn't qualify for reincarnate or you don't want to be random races all the time.
>>
>>61988445
>25000gp gives death meaning
>>
>>61988433
I personally completely refluffed the hexblade when I used it since I don't play in FR, all the other patrons don't have that problem since you always have something like them in most settings
>>
>>61988199
Makes me want to play dragons dogma
>>
>>61988466
Some people would be lucky to have 500gp by the first time a character dies, even if they pooled money together.
Especially if multiple party members die.
>>
>>61988293
>>61988323

So it’s moslty PAM in conjunction with GWM to stack that +10 as many times as possible, seems lame, but I see it’s strength
>>
>>61988564
If GWM didn't exist, it'd be the strongest option that isn't hand crossbow.
>>
Assuming you go with crawfords shield master, what's the best way to go sword and board? Staff with PAM?
>>
>>61988542
New players should have that much gold by around level 4 or 5, going by the Starter Set. While PCs can pretty easily die at level 1 to Bugbear crits, the actual penalty is nonexistent because it was a level 1 character. Past that, no one is probably going to die for a while, especially with Medicine checks or Spare the Dying
>>
>>61988665
a staff isn't a sword
>>
>>61988668
>Past that, no one is probably going to die for a while, especially with Medicine checks or Spare the Dying
Depends how brutal the DM feels like being.
>New players should have that much gold by around level 4 or 5
I've heard numerous players complain in here that they get almost no gold at all. So it still kinda varies by the DM.

So, really, the penalty varies by how the DM feels.
>>
>>61985665
I've heard arguments about lowest mortality rate, but what class(es)/subclass(es) have the highest mortality rate?
>>
>>61988767
Level 1 wizzards
>>
DMs: Would you allow someone to use artisan's blessing forge a suit of plate armor in pieces/ over time?

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/11/30/forge-cleric-channel-divinity-option-to-create-plate-armor-in-15-separate-pieces-is-this-a-stretch-or-misuse-of-the-ability/
Crawford says probably not, but the guy in the discussion underneath has some good points.

>tfw you just want to be a dorf necormancer outfitting his undead army.

I know i could just use fabricate, but i want to dip cleric for heavy armor and the flavour...
>>
>>61988564
>seems lame
Here's the thing:
For those classes that rely on being good at hitting things with a sword (or a pointy stick, in this case) it is vitally important to actually be REALLY good at this.
Because there is this things called 'casters' that hit just as hard, but do it from range.
And who have all the utility in the world on top of that.
>>
File: 1531816606555.webm (1.58 MB, 1024x768)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB WEBM
What's the most bait-and-switch build you've brought to a table? How have you surprised your fellow players with a character?
>>
>>61988789
what? they're like never on the front lines though, plus Shield.

low AC and low HP is not the only deciding factor.
>>
>>61988854
The problem is that they're in extreme danger from almost any random hit, including ranged attacks. Of course, the same can be said of almost all level 1 characters
>>
>>61988827
I picked a Wizard and tried to solve every encounter without spells or conventional weapons.
>>
>>61988665
Staff is only used for shillelagh or PAM and PAM's bonus attack would conflict with the shield master bonus attack.
I would probably grab mobile, run towards enemies, shove them prone then run away again.
>>
What's a decent free (dungeon) mapmaker in the likes of Dungeon Painter Studio? Something with a bunch of decent-looking pre-existing assets that lets you load custom stuff ideally.
>>
>>61988827
Warlock, no eldritch blast It was hexblade, blade pact, at least, basically played like a paladin or ek, casting blur before combat and getting into the thick of things w/ the barb
>>
>>61989022
Nice.
>>
>>61988699
The "no gold" is an Adventurer's League thing, season 8 rules mean you don't get any of the gold you'd normally get in a dungeon
>>
>>61989083
Not just in Adventurer's League, but if SL doesn't give you any gold that only furthers the point, I guess.
>>
>>61989083
You can still get gold ingame and spend it before the session ends right? Are you seriously telling me gold is absolutely useless because of the "point" currency?
>>
>>61988827

What's wrong with this guy?
>>
>>61988854
a nat 20 from a goblin or stronger will always kill a wizard at level 1. so level 1 wizards basically have a 5% chance of instant death every time they get targeted
>>
>>61988797
plate armor isn't just 15 solid pieces of metal. You also have to make the mail, padding, straps, buckles, hinges, etc. supporting it and holding it all together. I guess it could get you started, though.
>>
>>61988668
You're not supposed to have 25k gold by level 5. Like, not even close.
>>
File: 1536081851446m.jpg (122 KB, 634x1024)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
What villain are you guys using for Waterdeep Dragon Hiest? I'm having a hard time deciding.
>>
>>61989122
Nope, you're supposed to ignore gold rewards from chests and hoards and such. You get gold on level up instead, and you can exchange treasure points into 50gp per point.
The issue is, you also need treasure points for magic items, so now your character is making a decision between a +1 weapon or full plate at level 5.
>>
>>61986230
What kind of brain damage do you need to have ever thought you could shove with Shield Master before actually taking the Attack action in one turn?
>>
>>61989188
>>>Some people would be lucky to have 500gp
>>New players should have that much gold by around level 4 or 5, going by the Starter Set
>You're not supposed to have 25k gold by level 5. Like, not even close.
how do illiterate people keep getting to 4chan
>>
>>61989191
Anything but the lord and lady selling their kids souls to asmodeus is neat as villains feel tacked in compared to the other three
>>
>>61987808
I'd assume a Cleric would get advantage or automatic successes, when handling knowledge about his own religion.
>>
File: mearls.png (15 KB, 484x222)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>61989210
>>
>>61988098
She looks like she's gonna be spreading her region, not her religion.
>>
>>61989301
Like I said. Brain damage.
>>
>>61989356
Technically the feat reads "If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to ...", so you can use it before as long as you take the attack action during your turn.
>>
>>61989210
They exact working of the feat, plus the Combat Turn rules, would logically allow you to use the Bonus Action immediately after your first attack of any number of attacks that your Attack Action allows you to make.
>>
>>61989151
>a nat 20 from a goblin or stronger will always kill a wizard at level 1.
2d6+2 won't kill a lvl 1 wizard from full health most of the time. Assuming +1 constitution you need to rol two 6s to instakill a wizard. A +2 con wizard can't be 1 hit killed y a goblin from full health.
Even if a lvl 1 wizard has 1hp a goblin critical might not outright kill it.
>>
>>61989430
You do realize a +1 Con on a Level 1 Wizard means just seven health, right?
>>
>>61989423
Using it between your first and any following attacks, or later, would be fine, yes.

>>61989418
I would allow that, but as soon as any hobgoblin tries to shove and then decides not to attack for whatever reason following I'm slapping him upside the head and ripping his sheet in two and telling him he can fuck off, or come back next week with a new character.
If nothing else, I'm not trusting the average player, especially from /5eg/, to actually take the attack action after.
>>
>>61987914
Good Lord what a cuck
>>
>>61989492
You'd need to deal 14 damage to kill that wizard
>>
>>61989418
>so you can use it before as long as you take the attack action during your turn
I would definitively allow that interpretation of the feat, but I'm pretty sure that's not rai. "if you do a, you can do b' isn't the same as 'if you do b, you must do a after'
>>
>>61988287
Dude there's a lot of good protein in a corpse.
>>
I need some ideas for building a fiend or GoO pact warlock character without going into full edge territory.
>>
>>61989492
Dead =/= unconscious
>>
>>61989498
First you declare your action and then you act, if the problem is a munchkin then you have bigger issues than the Shield Master feat in your game.
>>
>>61989301
Mike Mearls has never read the PHB.
>>
>>61989527
>but I'm pretty sure that's not rai
That was RAI before Crawford changed idea, rule it as you please
>>
>>61988310
Depends on the monster

A Necromancer will quickly cast Danse Macabre on it, or a Fiend will fireball the party and destroy the body in the AoE.
A Beast master will not only double tap, but have its Hounds tear it too pieces, and a BBEG who is wise to the parties abilities will make sure the guy is out of commission as thoroughly as possible
>>
>>61989607
A body that just died isn't particularly flammable. Humans are 70% water, and that probably holds close to true for most races.
>>
>>61989418
>I'm taking the attack action
Okay
>But I'm not attacking anything
Okay
>I'll use my bonus action to shove the creature
Okay, fair enough
>Now I attack
Fuck off.
>>
>mfw in Dragon Heist you can tell Xanathar his advisors are going to hurt Sylgar and he will vaporize them

Nice touch
>>
>>61988797
You can use channel divinity to craft piles of gold coins and then buy plate from a merchant
>>
>>61989418
In a sane world, it would just be "You can use your bonus action to shove while you're wearing a shield"
But you know, huge swathes of the PHB read like they never got a second pass and they refuse to release an updated edition.
>>
>>61989629
>caster does thing as allowed by the manual
"No problem, go ahead mate"
>martial does thing as allowed by the manual
"BAD MARTIAL, BAD!"
>>
>>61989628
Well sure, but you're dumping 8d6 fire damage on it, not a flame arrow
>>
>>61989569
>>61989516
Having to make death saving throws while the rest of your party fights off a goblin ambush gives you decent odds of outright dying before accomplishing anything as a Wizard 1.
>>
>>61989629
What sort of autism is this? He still took the attack action
>>
>>61989653
A lot of feats are like that, shit like the Passive Investigation from the Observant feat is... Questionable at best.
They're a variant rule and it shows.
>>
>>61989682
Fireball doesn't ignite objects "being worn or carried". Even if a character is unconscious or dead, it's still wearing its clothes. For all intents and purposes, most of the dead body is fireproof because of how Fireball works RAW.
>>
>>61989688
Yes, he did. But it wasn't the 'ready' action.
>>
>>61989653
If GWM and PAM didn't exist, shield master as it is now would be balanced.

It's more fun when shoving isn't just a cheap way to grant yourself free advantage every single turn forevermore, anyway.
>>
>>61989681
Can you give an example of a caster doing something out of order like a martial trying to take advantage of shield master?

Cite the exact wording of the spells, please.
>>
>>61989736
Wish+Simulacrum
>>
I just realized you need to take the "attack action" to grapple or shove, therefore you cannot do those things as an opportunity attack.

I'm pretty sure I have at least tried to grapple someone as he tried to flee and my DM allowed it.
>>
File: lion tossing.jpg (140 KB, 750x609)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>61989710
A corpse isn't a creature
Yes, that means you can use that guy you just beat to death as an Improvised Weapon
>>
>>61989736
wall of force 2 inches above ground + shatter
>>
>>61989761
There's some awkward ass wording between "the Attack action" and "make an attack" at times.
And literally every table I've played at ignores it
>>
>>61989750
Fortunately they also added in rules for AL about this to acknowledge the problem.
Though I can't remember if the rules actually apply successfully.
>>
at one point, I saw a fighter variant here I really liked, based on building in superiority dice to the main class. anyone have it?
>>
File: 1530220890805.png (207 KB, 249x272)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>61985665
I don't like halflings but I can't think of a good reason for a Goblin cleric to join the party.
>>
>>61989763

>Yes, that means you can use that guy you just beat to death as an Improvised Weapon

Literally my favorite part of the Pugilist class.
>>
>>61989826
Goblin god told them to, for reasons
>>
>>61989763
Fireball doesn't specify "worn or carried by a creature". It specifies "worn or carried".
>>
>>61989829
Or you could just use barbarogue with the tavern brawler feat.
>>
>>61989750
What is the caster trying to accomplish here? Shunting the stress off on the Simulacrum? That's pretty different from literally trying to take an action that requires another action to be taken before it in the same turn.
>>
>>61989836
So if I fireball a wooden mannequin wearing a coat, would it burst into flames or just splinter into not-on-fire pieces?
>>
>>61989862
You'd light any exposed wood on fire, which would then probably proceed to burn the mannequin until the coat fell off. Then the fire would probably spread to the coat until the whole thing was a pile of ash.
>>
>>61989836
So if you fight an evoker while balancing on a coat hanger he's in for a world of hurt
>>
>>61989770
And what's the point of this, to shatter the ground only below the wall of force?
>>
>>61989880
A creature is not an object.
>>
>>61988212
You absolutely don't want to multiclass in Zealot Barb unless you know it's a one-shot/short campaign, because putting off level 14 by a level (At 10+ it takes ages to level up) you fuck yourself over.
>>
>>61989861
Creating an infinite chain of Simulacrum without cost thanks to Wish
>>
>>61988789
what about after level 1?
>>
>still no artificer nor psion
I won't lose faith but it's getting very hard not to be constantly disappointed
>>
>>61989861
I might not have this 100% right, but basically
>Simulacrum has all the same spells you know, and the same spell slots
>Wish can instantly replicate the effects of any 8th level spell or lower without any drawback
>Create a simulacrum
>It wishes for a Simulacrum of you, then creates a Simulacrum of you
>Those two Simulacrums do the same
>Exponentially increasing army of duplicates of yourself, that all have full spell slots except for 9th and 7th level
>You could even have some of them not continue the Simulacrum chain to keep their full spell slots and Wish for other shit
>>
>>61989897
>The level 14 feature
More proof that zealot barb is just a meme someone printed as a joke.
Though, it doesn't stop you falling unconscious due to any other source of death (massive damage / power word: kill / disintegrate / various effects) and doesn't save you if you were forcecaged turn 1. I guess it just encourages the DM to pull more no-fun-allowed moves on you.
>>
>>61989836
If a corpse got clothes on, then it's not an object wearing another, it's an ensemble
>>
>>61989629
This is the same company that makes M:tG, where the stack makes this shit happen all the time.
>declare attack action
>attacks are queued up
>SM bonus action at instant speed
>attack's on the stack, so valid trigger
>shove resolves first
>attack resolves after
Then they decided that Bonus Actions are Sorceries.
>>
>>61989903
>>61989949
I mean, I guess that's handy, and that would technically be fine. There's nothing in the rules that implies you can't do that. But to shove with Shield Master you need to take the Attack action.

Making an infinite army of simulacrum of your presumably wizard self sounds like some JoJo shit though.
>>
>>61989980
Even if you consider the bonus action to be instant, why would you say the duration between attack action and your attacks aren't instant and they're queued up instead? Seems kind of arbitrary, even if you're saying 'but there's a rule that specifically allows you to move between attacks' or something.
>>
>>61989980
I think I would allow for the shove and first attack to resolve in the same roll. Roll more dice at once. But you're not shoving before making your first attack.
>>
File: Keyart_abaddon.jpg (242 KB, 2048x1152)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>61988084
>>61988126
Hexblades are cool if you read between the lines and misunderstand purposefully.
Pic related is my favorite Hexblade from fiction, say something nice about him.
>>
Crit role
>>
If all goes as expected, tomorrow the party will be having a big fight with a mercenary company. Ambushed in a (middle east-themed) city street, with avenues of escape blocked by mercs and/or wagons.

I expect to have random civilians in the area as a complication, and the party will also be protecting an important NPC. Anyone got any more ideas to make this interesting?
>>
>>61989987
So... >>61989681
>>
>>61990028
I like his voice!
>>
>>61990072
The difference is that shoving before attacking isn't allowed by the manual.
"If the Attack action is taken" is a clear requirement.
>>
>>61989971
It isn't, because you can separate the objects. You can strip a corpse.
>>
>>61990067
Watch some Douglas Fairbanks movies.
>>
>>61989943
Both need a lot of work, Mystic less so. Mystic mostly needs editorial work to go through and change a few oddly phrased things and abilities.

Artificer should be made a Arcane Half-Caster to the Paladin's Divine Half and Ranger's Druid Half casters. I'd also say it should have it's archetypes diversified-
>Mechanical Servant removed and replaced with an ASI, with the class feature "Mechanical Servant" an optional Artificer only Feat
>Alchemist, similar to current but with actual potion-making abilities instead of their entire ability being "you have an endless bag of bombs", also should get Shield Proficiency
>Gunner is probably fine as is, but should have some flavor text added to suggest the gun isn't necessarily a "gun" and can take whatever form you want since some DMs are spergs about "muh no gunpowder"

And new archetypes-
>Golem crafter- an Archetype based around Mechanical Servant, upgrading it and making small familiars and such
>Magic Iron Man- A melee Archetype about smithing magic armor and weapons
>Fullcaster- An archetype that gives up flat combat ability for full Caster progression, probably with a trimmed down Wizard list

Another idea would be to make Artificer use Warlock style spell slots.
>>
File: 1498495036025.png (143 KB, 600x600)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
How can I roleplay a Life Cleric of Ilmater?

I will certainly donate all of my income to the poor, but should I be pushing my party members to do it too?
I should probably never initiate combat, but am I allowed to do a killing blow or should I always use non-lethal damage?

Would it ever be acceptable to take stuff from my party members so I can give it to those in need? For example if I could liquidate my friends' plate armor, I could feed thousands of people (literally). Is this ever allowed?

Also, am I supposed to always run up to take the hits in combat or am I allowed to sometimes stand back and cast spells?
>>
>want to skip to the big dungeon we've been building up to for two/three sessions
>party has to travel 200 miles through an infamously dangerous land

It would feel cheap if nothing happened along the way but at the same time.. I really don't feel like doing an entire session of this journey
>>
>>61990131
You need to take the attack action during your turn, not before the bonus action shove.
>>
>>61990007
>why would you say the duration between attack action and your attacks aren't instant and they're queued up instead?
Same reason that there's a space between "casting a creature spell" and "creature enters the battlefield". The declaration and resolution of actions are distinct.
Think of it like this:
>I'm an Eldritch Knight
>I cast Fireball
>it gets counterspelled
Did I cast a spell? RAW, the spell fails and has no effect, but if I'm looking at Improved War Magic, I need to know if I can make an attack.
In order for Counterspell to work, there needs to be a distinct space between the initiation of the action and the resolution of it. This is where the hypothetical shove happens.
And, yes, reactions are Instants while bonus actions are Sorceries, but there's no real reason for bonus actions to not be Instants.
>>
>>61990148
Yes you can. It's called "disassembling"
>>
>>61990187
>Sleep after every vaguely hard encounter because unless you're made to fight an encounter every few miles chances are you will have time to sleep before continuing
>>
>>61987483
Dual wielder is actually a terrible feat on it's own, even if PAM/GWM/SS diddn't exist, it still wouldn't be worth taking over +2 dex in any situation. Upgrading from scimitars/shortswords to rapiers only gives you a +1 DPR boost a weapon - the same as you'd get from just increasing your dex (or str, i guess you can do that) without any of the other benefits of increasing your dex. The only other benefit it gives you is something that most DMs i've played with houserule anyway, since people who really want to run with a two-weapon build are cucked enough as it is.
>>
>>61990187
>I really don't feel like doing an entire session of this journey
Just pretend you're rolling for random encounters. That way at most you can throw like one or two low level "random" fights at them and they'll feel like they had luck on their side for most of the journey.
>>
>>61990166
>Level 20 Artíficers can't create Golem
I wi never understand what in the Holy hell were they even thinking.
>>
File: emergence misuzu.png (105 KB, 547x199)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
>White Plume Mountain
>We get to the vampire
>He pops out of his coffin
>We blow a bunch of things on him, nothing does much because the DM pops all three Legendary Resistances
>Legendary actions everywhere, we're shitting our pants
>Barbarian grapples the vampire
>succeeds
>Barbarian shoves the vampire
>Succeeds
>Next turn, Barbarian drags the vampire out the door of the room to the boiling mud chamber
>"I throw the vampire in the boiling mud"
>DM's face after spending ten minutes looking up whether boiling mud counts as running water
What do you think, /5eg/? Was what our Barbarian did a good idea?
>>
>>61990166
Okay, but can the Alchemist keep the bag o' bombs? Because that bag is a lotta fun.
>>
>>61990226
I don't care what it's called. The corpse is wearing the clothes, they don't merge into one object. And because the clothes are being worn, they're Fireball-proof.
>>
>>61990255
Mud is like, 60% water or some other such high percentage
>>
>>61990255
Yes
>>
>>61990255
>>Barbarian grapples the vampire
>>succeeds
>>Barbarian shoves the vampire
>>Succeeds
>>Next turn, Barbarian drags the vampire out the door of the room to the boiling mud chamber
Either you got those actions turned around or your DM severely fucked up
>>
>>61990281
>they don't merge into one object
They are an assembly of objects. Objects can't wear each other.
Even when a mannequin "wears" something, you're saying it because of a personification of the linguistic device.

There are languages in which doing so for example, would be grammatically ridiculous
>>
>>61990255
isnt the boiling mud just in that room?
it isnt running
>>
>>61990293
Shove is either moving them or knocking them prone. The Grapple + Shove prone combo is a classic, because it reduces their speed to 0, making them unable to stand up.
Also, it's possible RAW with Shield Master, because grappling is using the Attack Action. You just need to have a hand free.
>>
>>61990252
Yeah I really feel like they should have a ribbon to let them do that kind of thing, like giving them Thief's "Use Magic Item" at a lower level.

>>61990265
Yeah add Shield proficiency and actual defined potion-making ability, since the alchemist tool Expertise can be handy, it's dependent on the DM giving you permission. Especially since Alchemist's class features are literally "lol you learn another not-cantrip".

Maybe something like-
Extra Alchemical Formula
At 3rd level, you learn an additional Alchemical Formula.
>In addition, you learn to make [3 or so Potion types] using [whatever ingredients]
>>
>>61990215
You take the 'cast a spell' action, pick a spell and only after starting casting that spell does the reaction occur.

Otherwise,
>Enemy is casting a spell. Do you wish to counterspell?
>Yes
>Okay, you counterspelled it because it was only a level 1 'piss on corpse', a spell designed specifically to mock your use of counterspell.
Of course you aren't necessarily told what the spell is, but the enemy can't take back the spellcasting attempt.

Similarly, if you're going to react to an attack, the enemy has to attack first, not simply take the attack action.
And if bonus actions can occur at the same time as reactions accoridng to you, it'd come after the attacks, I think.
>>
>>61990241
What if you already have 20 DEX? Fighters get plenty of ASIs, they probably max out DEX/STR, WIS and CON anyways.

Also +1 DPR per weapon means +2 DPR total.

I guess one unfortunate issue Dual Wielder has is that it's also dependent on a specific fighting style which only fighters and rangers get. Maybe if PAM's bonus attack (and just bonus action attacks in general) didn't add your modifier.
>>
>>61990331
It's running up and down, technically. This is why the "running water" restriction is often ignored, because is Fog + Gust of Wind "running water"?
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (12 KB, 480x360)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>61990293
Nope.
You can grapple someone. This counts as the attack action, so the Barbarian got an extra attack.
While they're grappled, you can then shove them. This uses the extra attack. The vampire is now grappled and prone, and cannot stand up because they have 0 movement due to the grapple.
You are allowed to drag around grappled enemies. If you need a picture, flip this one 90 degrees so the woman is on the ground. Now imagine the man moving, dragging the woman along the ground. That's what the Barbarian did.
Getting the Vampire into the mud is another shove action. All of this works RAW.
>>
>>61990325
A dead body can absolutely wear clothing. Do you think they just display a naked dead body at open casket funerals?
>>
>>61990199
"If the Attack action is taken."
If, the first word, meaning that it is introducing a conditional clause.
The Attack action as one phrase, meaning the Attack action as described in 5e's PHB.
is, the third person singular present of be.
taken, the past participle of take

The important part here is that taken is past. That means that the Attack action has already happened, or, if you really want to stretch the definition, because of is, is happening currently.
Therefore, you can shove, during your first attack in the Attack action by a stretch, otherwise, the Attack action has to have been taken. As in being described in the past. Has happened.
>>
>>61988276
At that point might as well go 5 levels in and get those sweet 3rd-level spells, but that's more magic than I figure I want...but 16/4 might do. Thanks.
>>61988251
Though that is kind of how I feel.
>>61988317
B/c I want to be a batshit crazy unarmored religious fanatic who scours his bare flesh with a flail in the middle of combat, recklessly charging in like a madman and swinging away. Paladins are smarter than that and clerics are spellcaster-y. Plus I've already played a warrior cleric.
>>
>>61990293
The vampire should have had various abilities that would have let them just slip free of a grapple, right?

Still, grappling is underrated shit.
>>
Also, as for Wish + Simulacrum, why isn't the Simulacrum replicated with your current spell slots, as in, already lacking the 9th level Wish cast spent on casting Wish(Simulacrum)?
>>
File: orc 09.jpg (95 KB, 527x1000)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
interesting backgrounds for a half-orc paladin /tg/?
>>
>>61990349
>>61990387
That's just weird in my head because then that more implies that the grappler is now prone as well but oh well.
>>61990255
Also if it's just a room of boiling mud, and the mud isn't moving, then it doesn't count.
>>
>>61990435
Because you don't cast wish(simulacrum) yourself to make the first simulacrum
>>
>>61990435
Because you cast simulacrum before wish.
>>
>>61990432
Polymorphing yourself wouldn't necessarily break a grapple, RAW. Bat form would be even weaker versus a grappler, and mist form can't take any actions, including changing back, until it reaches its coffin. Going by pure RAW, not even turning into mist breaks the grapple, and if the DM rules that it does, the rest of the party can still light up the cloud with attacks because there's nothing that says mist cloud vampires can't be hit.
>>
>>61990363
>You take the 'cast a spell' action, pick a spell and only after starting casting that spell does the reaction occur.
Similarly, you take the Attack action, pick attacks, and only after starting the attacks does the bonus action occur.
Since Counterspell happens before the effect of the spell, so would Shove happen before the effect of the attack.
This is where the wording similar to TWF ("When you take the Attack action and attack with a melee weapon") would help. Something like "When you make a melee attack, Shove as a bonus action."
Rather than triggering when the action hits the stack, it would trigger when the attack is made.
>>
File: sm_phb.png (407 KB, 472x380)
407 KB
407 KB PNG
>>61990414
>"If the Attack action is taken."
Uuuh... Dude, I appreciate your autism but it's "If you take the Attack action on your turn".
>>
>>61990483
You can keep someone grappleprone while still standing up.
Have someone else lie on the ground. Grab their ankle and lift it up at a 45 degree angle from the ground. Ask them to stand up.
Grappleprone.
And of course boiling mud is moving. It's called convection, moron.
>>
>>61990495
>>61990493
If the Simulacrum casts Wish to make a Simulacrum, though, it would still have expended the Spell slot. So at best you're getting two Simulacrum.
>>
>>61990381
It seems weird that no culture that wrote about vampires mentioned a big cauldron of boiling water would count as "running"

and our very own strahd seemed fine with fog so I think that ones easy
>>
>>61990548
Oh... good point, I guess.
>>
>>61990617
I'd argue that for water to be running, it has to be liquid. Fog is very clearly water vapor, but boiling water - or boiling mud - is absolutely a liquid, albeit one that is turning into a gas.
>>
Question thread: How should I go about with magical equipment in the form of vehicles, mechs, or otherwise?

From how I see it, I should write them out as statblocks of varying CRs, which become mounts when used, but is there anything I should immediately know before I start trying to throw together some magitech stuff?

>inb4 "use GURPS"
>>
>>61990675
Still, it isn't running

if you type in running water geology you get about a billion pictures of streams and rivers and exactly zero of hot springs etc
>>
>>61990807
You don't need to create the full stat block, take inspiration from the Apparatus of Kwalish
>>
>>61990807
Looking at Druid's Wildshape would be a good start:
>replaces physical stats, keeps mental
>unique hitpoints and resistances
>dying doesn't kill the player
Good start for a mech.
>>
Do you allow multiclassing if there is no good in-character justification? If a guy's only talent in life is hitting things with a sharpened stick, it seems strange that he could suddenly become magic for no good reason.
>>
>>61990586
>And of course boiling mud is moving. It's called convection, moron.
Oh jesus fucking christ. RUNNING water. Water moving from one place to the other causing erosion to the ground around it. The mud isn't exactly going anywhere is it? It's staying in the exact same spot only difference is it's hot.
>>
>>61990836
A waterfall counts as running water. Boiling water is basically just a waterfall that then goes back up the other side in a loop.
>>
>>61989629
The problem is that by the very rules printed in the PHB, you can:
1) Take Attack Action
2) Take Shove Bonus Action
Then the rules specifically state that you when to take the bonus action.

Now, this is probably just shitty wording.
But instead of fixing the wording, they post sage advice that makes them sound high-handed and that effectively results in a combat viability nerf to sword-and-board martials who are pretty much dogshit on the overall power level scale anyway.
>>
>>61990979
>you when
*decide
>>
>>61990865
>Apparatus of Kwalish
Yeah, I was looking at that for smaller one person mechs.
The reason why I mention the statblock is for the CR, which is more of an issue when something like a CR 3 enemy is in a CR 3 mech.
It doesn't translate easy enough for my tastes for exp and looking at immediate encounter ratings, you know?

>>61990908
>Druid Wildshape
Hm... I didn't think of that.
That might translate even easier if I use statblocks.
>>
>>61990978
>A waterfall
So, part of a river or stream by definition?
>>
>>61990956
It depends on the class. Some multiclasses can make sense in any situation:
>Cleric: A god took notice of me and I felt a surge of divine power
>Druid: same but with natural forces
>Sorcerer: I hit magical puberty and my latent magical bloodline is now working
>Warlock: I made a deal
Others require more thought. A Barbarian, Rogue, Monk, Ranger, Fighter, or Paladin probably needs some kind of training as part of their new expertise. A Wizard needs a spellbook and some way to learn the basics.
>>
Water in a lake is constantly moving and churning, but that doesn't and shouldn't count as running water. Boiling water shouldn't count as running water either.
If somebody allowed that, I'd argue that a breeze counts also as running water because of the moisture in the air.
>>
>>61990597
The simulacrum makes a simulacrum of you with the wish, not of itself
>>
>>61991041
Forgot Bard, but those guys go to college anyway, so it's the same deal as Wizards.
>>
>>61990956
How much should you really expect a character to hint at it? Most people probably plan their levels out pretty far in advance, so in theory they should have laid some sort of background out that justifies their choices beforehand, but I wouldn't get too restrictive about it unless it's like warlock where you have to literally make a pact with something
>>
>>61990979
I'm convinced that they're trying as hard as possible to prevent Rogues from getting advantage on their own.
>I can shove them prone with SM!
>>no, absolutely not
>Well, I can do it with the first TWF attack!
>>TWF requires specifically and only weapon attacks
>Can I do it through Extra Attack?
>>full casters get Extra Attack, but you don't
>Ball bearings?
>>Requires movement.
>>
>>61991035
In fantasy worlds? Not necessarily.
>>
>>61991052
Oh, shit.
>>
>>61991066
I don't know. I usually don't DM, but I'd probably require a modicum of effort to try and work it into the story. Maybe have the player tell me that he's interested in multiclassing to X ahead of time and we can hash out a plan. Of course, I'd tell them my expectations and come to an agreement in session 0 so it's not a surprise at all.
>>
>>61991080
You realize in that picture that those waterfalls are connected to rivers, right?
>>
>>61991163
prove it
>>
>>61991112
It's pretty strange for me to imagine a player not talking about how they want to level up. In my experience most wont shut up about it
>>
>>61991080
Where does it end in your sessions out of curiosity?

>splash some water on the ceiling
>he can't cross it because its running from the ceiling to the floor
>throw my half finished tea on the floor
>he cant cross it because the molecules are moving and shit
>it starts raining
>vampire btfo'd again, how will he recover?
>he sneak attacks me
>cant actually cross the boundary of my skin because my blood (contains the deadly water) is running all up and down my body
>>
>winged elf player is actually thinking about swapping characters
>Wants to be either a centaur or Minotaur

I don't get the obsession with UA when you already don't know anything about the books. Anyway, what's the consensus on those two races other than the centaur's ability to stack other centaur's?
>>
>>61991183
I tend to play with newer/more casual players. Conversations about leveling up usually begin with "how do I do this again?"
>>
>>61990548
>If you take
>Future tense

Crawshit has zero reading comprehension skills.
>>
>>61991202
In that case I would be more inclined to go easy on them for throwing curveballs like a sudden interest in multiclassing. It's not like they'll be anything more than a novice when it comes to their multiclass features anyway
>>
>>61991236
The conversation opens back up.
>>
>>61991237
I don't know what that is, but it sounds like you put it in the wrong thread
>>
>>61991255
Did it ever really close?
>>
>>61991263
Had the wrong tab open and didn't pay attention, my bad
>>
>>61991181
The island is obviously not just a lake with dips for water to start flowing off it as evidenced by the clear almost full enclosure with the animal heads carved out.. This means the water has to be running from somewhere to get out to cause the holes to the enclosure. Meaning there is at the very least a stream of the water flowing through the wall of the enclosure of the floating island.
But seriously this
>prove it
Makes you look like a child.
>>
>>61991190
It has to be a body of water. Rain doesn't count, because those are drops of water, but a gutter stream created by a rainstorm would count. The same applies to splashing on the ceiling, splashing on the floor, and bleeding out unless you spilled enough blood to make a body of water sized pool of blood, with the blood moving.
>>
>>61991292
>obviously
how do you know that

Think about the boiling mud problem this way: would a whirlpool contained in a pool harm a vampire?
>>
>>61991073
Yeah, that would totally break that class.
Not.
Single attack is borderline useless trash past ca. lvl 6 anyway.

You're better off as a Monk with Stunning Strike, or a dip into Fighter to get Maneuvers(Trip Attack).
Or just do both of that.
Stun them, trip them, kick them while they're down.
>>
>>61991236
>Future tense
You can't know for sure that you'll take the attack action until you take it, though.

I think there is an argument to make about 'when have you actually taken the attack action? After you've finished making the attacks?' but there was probably a suitable counterargument somewhere I forgot.
>>
>>61991327
>how do you know that
Because the picture is almost a full side view and it's not that hard of a leap of logic to imagine that there are four carved heads on it. Jesus christ just stop dude.
>would a whirlpool contained in a pool harm a vampire?
No because it's not running water.
>>
>>61991073
Except AT and barbarogue exists and they've actively enabled all the many ways those can self-grant advantage so you're wrong.
>>
>>61991386
>the virgin Rogue/Monk
>the chad Barbarogue
Reckless Attack all day every day. Totem of the Wolf to give everyone advantage all the time.
>implying not Bear Totem
>>
File: 160 - 4FSIAlT.png (63 KB, 211x214)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>61991437
>A whirlpool isn't running water
Nice bait, dude. Of course a whirlpool is running water.
>>
>>61991444
Your suggestion to help Rogue is either to reach level 14 or be a different class?
Can't go AT because brainlet thug, and the plan is either Barbarogue or BM Fighter.
>>
>>61991327
If you change the definition of running water then yes
>>
>>61991418
Sure you can.

You can only shield bash targets you're able to attack. There's never going to be a situation where your shield bash will remove the target from existence, thus making there be no target to attack.

You shield bash. Now you have to follow it up with an attack, since it says "when you take the attack action."

Shield bash isn't a separate thing. It's a precursor. No different from a wizard needing to take out a focus to cast a spell.

And of course there's the RAI. It's pants on head retarded to think that someone would shield bash an enemy after they've already done the damage.
>>
>>61991444
Multiclassing is a variant rule :^)
>>
How is sunless citadel? I'm thinking of being a player in a campaign of it.
>>
File: KJPD2781.png (777 KB, 600x617)
777 KB
777 KB PNG
>>61991483
Jesus christ dude you really are fucking stupid.
>>
>>61991515
Define running water in such a way that it doesn't include a whirlpool.
Bear in mind that "natural source" doesn't matter. https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/723563797365985280
>>
>>61991073
>Hide as a bonus action
>Next turn get advantage on attack

W O W
>>
>>61991514
>Reach level 14
Or you could just use a familiar which has been specifically stated to be able to help you and give you free advantage every turn that enemies don't waste their turn throwing rocks at it before you just bring it back again later.
>Be a different class
Well, barbarogue is pretty solid and both has reckless attack and the capability to shove prone -> attack after shoving. A monk-rogue could shove or stun, and all these various multiclasses can take a bonus action attack with another weapon if they need an extra shove or attack. But yeah, these all drain a number of levels from rogue, though I can't say you're missing out on a lot. Reliable talent, maybe.

>>61991547
Martials being relevant is also a variant rule.
>>
>>61991553
see
>>61991561
>>
>>61991562
While valid, that does require being obscured
>>
What are some concrete examples that would let a Wood Elf hide when even a rogue cannot due to Mask of the Wild?
>>
>>61991561
>Gust of wind a pool
>Spray water everywhere, even when it's not your turn
>Counts as running water
>>
>>61991562
>pussing out and letting other people take the hard hits so you can shoot a corpse later
I bet your table loves you.
I built a frontline STR Rogue, for reasons, so I need to be in the fray as much as possible.
>>
>>61991462
Or I just say Fuck It, be Drunken Master Monk, grab Battlemasterr to get Trip Attack and go full Jackie Chan.
Punch, Stun, Trip, Kick and just run across the battlefield because you get a free disengage with every Flurry of Blows.

Ironically, now that I look at the wording of Drunken Technique, they wrote themselves into the same spot as they did with Shield Master.
>use Flurry of Blows, gain Disengage
>run around without a care in teh world
>stand next to some other guy, and hit him with Attacks and Flurry of Blows Bonus attacks
>Stun and Trip after your first hit, lol advanage for all followup attacks
>>
>>61991629
Gust of wind RAW doesn't affect water meaningfully, and splashing water around doesn't count as running water.
A whirlpool counts as running water. There isn't a definition of running water that excludes whirlpools.
>>
>>61991629
>Someone tweets about a spray bottle
>No response from the shit face
>"Hey guys don't forget to read the words!"
>Crawford jumps on it and compliments their simplicity

I love how much this guy avoids any conflict or hard questions.
>>
Ok So i am a pretty new DM and I think I wrote myself into a corner
This is the gist of my homebrew campaign (the relevant parts):
>PCs are random people from the court of the Emperor (think feudal japan)
>Emperor is poisoned and the PCs are framed for it
>Emperor tells the PCs they have 1 year to save the world by collecting artifacts to make a ritual (vague as fuck intentionally)
>They flee the country and end up in an archipelago
>They take a job to escort an archeologist to an abandoned island to inspect some ruins, the island had dinosaurs and the like
>Turns out there are lizardmen that really dont like foreigners and attack the PCs along with the archeologist and his hired ship crew
>The lizardmen bait them with a peace offering and emerge out of the water, 16 of them
>The most boring combat I have ever come up with happens and the PCs ace it (4pcs level 5)
>At the end of the last session a giant mechanical bull charges into the PCs encampment

Other things to note:
The party consists of a samurai warrior, a hexblade, a celestial warlock (or whatever that arquetype is called) and a monk.
The closest thing to a meat shield they have is the samurai, he goes down almost every fight. The closest thing to healer they have is the celestial dude
As a party they are not particularly effective at combat, and they find it quite boring for the most part (probably my fault as they are new players)
I dont dislike combat myself but I feel like I run really boring combat scenarios, we only use theater of the mind and maybe that should change.

So I wanted to ask for advice and ideas. I think im gonna make the shipcrew some kind of cult, unbeknownst to the archeologist or otherwise.
As it stand I cant think of a way to make this interesting, maybe im just frustrated.
>>
>>61991658
I'm not a rogue, I'm a Cleric. I'm just saying there's other ways to get advantage.

But yeah, we do have mixed feelings about the rogue. Good god, last game I was about to lose my shit because I thought she was provoking AoO just to feed her husband a weak ass healing potion.
>>
>>61991561
Water flowing in a direction whereas it ends up in different location from having caused erosion.
>>
>>61991608
Most of the things listed, like "light mist", wouldn't really be obscuring you under normal circumstances.
>>
>>61985941
i give one language or tool proficiency for every +modifier they have in intelligence. Its not strong enough to make someone invest in it, but you might not dump it so easily.
>>
>>61991681
>Gust of wind RAW doesn't affect water meaningfully
I'd say RAW it does, as it is described as "A line of strong wind" which is more than enough to kick up water, considering it's strong enough to physically push people and a wind weaker than that is enough to reverse the direction of a waterfall. Otherwise, you'd be saying 'RAW your character floats off into space because nothing says gravity exists as it does in the real world' since we're implying that the fantasy world has at least some semblance of physics.

Splashing water counts as running water. There isn't a definition of running water that excludes splashing water.
Unless you want to disregard waterfalls, too, since that's pretty much just splashing water.
>>
>>61991754
>>61991577
>>61991561
I wanna point out this is the most literal definition I could get because the normal definition of running water is about water for houses.
>>
>>61991718
Hopefully that rogue wasn't using Fast Hands to deliver a Potion of Healing™, because that's a magic item and you can't use those as a bonus action.
t. Crawford
>>
>>61991754
This definition doesn't work because White Plume Mountain has a loop of running water. The water never goes anywhere else, but it's clearly running.
>>
>>61991795
No, she's usually good on realizing action economy (i.e we're usually good on keeping her tied to action economy).

She did do it just to get a stabby on the enemy, but she's don't ridiculous bullshit that has threatened everyone when I could have done the same thing without consequence.
>>
>>61991786
Have you seen a waterfall? It doesn't splash until it hits the river at the bottom. It creates a stream of running water until it reaches the bottom, at which point the waterfall is finished.
>>
>>61991608
Anything that counts as 'lightly obscured' due to natural features rather than 'heavily obscured'

Light foliage (wheat field, tree leaves, sparse brush), being submerged in river water but near the surface or a waterfall, light mist/fog, massive swarms of insects...

Basically, you'll almost never use it in a campaign.
>>
>>61991666
Sorry, bro, Flurry is
>Immediately after you take the Attack action
which has that magical "after" that makes it not work.
I was "bonus actions at Instant speed", though, so I'd allow it.
There's also the fact that Flurry is unarmed strikes specifically, which don't trigger Sneak Attack (just because you're using DEX doesn't mean you have Finesse).
>>
>>61991704

What exactly are you looking for? It doesn't seem like you've written yourself into a corner, just more that you don't really have a plot settled on, and have difficulty running combat.
>>
>>61991539
>>61991539
>shield bash
>push the enemy 5+ feet away from you
>you already spent all your movement running up to him
>can no longer attack him with a melee weapon unless it happens to also have reach
>>
>>61991608
>"You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena."
>Original hiding rules: "You can't hide from a creature that can see you"
>Errata: "You can't hide from a creature that can see you clearly"

By the PHB's original RAW it's pretty clear, and I suspect this trait was designed around that. You could only hide when you couldn't be seen, meaning heavily obscured or better (Heavily obscured means vision is blocked entirely, while lightly obscured just gives disadvantage on the sight roll). With Mask of the Wild, you could hide when only lightly obscured, instead of heavily.

But errata changed hiding from something you can do when you can't be seen, to something you can do when you can't be seen "clearly." Which, to me, seems to mean that you can try to hide when lightly obscured in general, thus apparently making that trait worthless. What counts as "lightly obscured" vs. "heavily obscured" depends on the DM, but if he rules that the foliage lightly obscures you, then it seems you can hide with or without Mask of the Wild.

In practice, I'd just let the elf have a lot more leeway to hide whenever it's raining/snowing/they're in a dense forest/etc.
>>
>>61989803
Here you go fampai. Might not be the most up to date version though.

>>61990067
Give the party (or mercenary chiefs) a chance to steal some horses (...camels) if they can manage it, and make a daring escape. Also have the mercs take a hostage if they're really awful.
>>
>>61991889
Then I guess you attack the air. Should have thought of that before you pushed the enemy away instead of pushing them prone.
>>
>>61991889
Chuck your sword at him. Improvised ranged weapon, d4 damage.
>I'm unarmed
Throw your coinpurse, or a lantern, or anything you can grab.
>I'm naked
Pick up a rock.
>I'm in a white room
The situation is technically valid, but also fuck you.
>>
Hey guys I like to headcanon moonlight as sunlight since its technically light from the sun

I dragged a vampire into it and said he should take sunlight damage but my dm said no
what a jerk am I right?
>>
>>61990067
STREET RAT
>>
So according to shield master 'bonus action attack before your actual attack' faggots, flurry of blows should occur right before you make your actual attacks, right?

Because according to shield master faggots, you've taken your attack action before you've even made your attack. (And saying otherwise leads to the possibility of making a paradox that causes the game universe to collapse in on itself)
So, since you've taken the attack action before making your attacks, you must flurry of blows before you make your attacks.
>>
>>61991832
But it is a splash in the first place. It reaches the end of that section of river and then it's out into the open air.
That's no different from you picking water up and throwing it at someone, creating a splash.
The only difference is one isn't natural, and according to JC that doesn't matter.
>>
>>61991958
Wow, your character sure know a lot about astronomy for someone with medieval knowledge.
How do the sun and moon orbit a flat plane, anyway? What would the Goddess of the Moon have to say about your theory?
>>
>>61991989
post the wording for Flurry of Blows
>>
>>61991989
Flurry of blows specifically says "IMMEDIATELY AFTER you take the Attack Action"

Reading comprehension. We learn this shit in first grade.
>>
>>61992010
"Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action."
and shield master
"If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield."

Key words here being 'you take the attack action'
I guess I can see the main problem being that you could say 'during' your attack action, but in that case you still haven't properly taken the attack action yet or else FoB would be due.
>>
>>61991958
>implying cosmology works the same in fantasy
>>
>>61992026
Exactly. So it comes after you take the attack action and before you make the attacks, right?
Because you don't have to complete your attacks to have taken the attack action, apparently.
>>
>>61991838
I feel like there is no way for me to create a central conflict on the island that is not boring as fuck.
Lizardmen are basically retarded and violent so no way to introduce a cool bad guy that is compelling to the players. One of the players can understand all languages so they can maybe comunicate but the PCs really pissed them off
The lizardmen have 3 stat blocks in the monster manual and none are particularly compelling either. How can I make an interesting fight for 4 level 5 PCs that is dynamic but stays within the theme of the island.
I dont know what to do to make the exploration part of the island interesting, should i just skip it? should i make a map or just wing it with "navigation" checks
My other issue is we are using the alternate rules for rest (short is 8 hours and long is 7 days) and my players deplete their resources way too fast. I like the rule because it adds tension to the campaign, with the 1 year time constraint but I think if they are not careful they are gonna TPK and im afraid they will despise the game, we play every week and they dont make excuses or anything so its a really nice group so I dont want to dissuade them
I havent decided what the mechanical bull construct is for either. I just came up with it on the spot.
>>
>>61991836
You're right, I have to use my first attack against the guy I'm standing next to.
But I can still run up to some other guy, Punch him, Trip him and kick him while he's down. Which really was the whole point.

I wasn't talking about Sneak Attack, if I wanted to do that I'd go Ranger/Rogue and Hide as a Bonus Action every turn.
>>
>>61992006
It is different because when water flows down a waterfall, it's an unbroken flow.
>>
>>61992068
And so when wind blows that water off-course and it sprays everywhere, it is no longer a waterfall?

If there's a strong bend in a flow of water and there's a ton of splash down the side that ends up forming a stream at the bottom, would one consider that a waterfall? I guess I can see it not being considered that, but there really isn't much of a difference especially when that splash creates a flow of water itself.

These sorts of things would be better if JC just responded to every stupid question asked and waste his life away on pointless theoretical questions rather than leaving some of them open-ended.
>>
>>61992109
>>61992068
Actually, thought: Does this make clouds waterfalls?
>>
>>61992046
Once the attack action has started, it's started. All the book says is that you're allowed to move during it. I would figure you have to complete your attacks, or at least end the action before you can do a flurry.
>>
>>61992046
You do need to complete your attacks to have taken the Attack action, because "have taken" is past tense.
You do not need to complete your attacks to take the Attack action, because "take" isn't past tense.
>>
>>61992109
>>61992121
Probably because if he's anything like I am right now, he's less interesting in debating what a waterfall is and more interested in if boiling water counts as running water.
Which it is, given that:
>a whirlpool, which is movement of water horizontally in a circle, is running water
>boiling water involves the water moving vertically in a circle, so by the same logic as a whirlpool being running water, boiling water would also count as running water
>>
>>61992149
>vertical circle
Clearly, movement parallel to the plane of the flow is what is forbidden. As moving over a vertical circle lies on that plane, it is allowed.
>>
File: live-a-live o-d-o.gif (49 KB, 290x350)
49 KB
49 KB GIF
>>61992049
>Not introducing a powerful evil entity like a demon reincarnated as a T-Rex that the lizardmen worship
The most boring statblocks can be used in a great fight if the terrain isn't shit and the enemy tactics are interesting enough. Read The Monsters Know What They're Doing for some tactics example. Seriously, with the right maps and circumstances/combat setpieces a decent DM could turn five different fights against commoners in a row into something interesting. Of course, theater of the mind is pretty vital to have tactically interesting combat, in 5e at least. The system is built around a 5 foot grid after all.

Alright, I'll make a list of your problems and try to tackle all of them in my upcoming posts.
>Central conflict to drive the island plot
>Cool bad guy
>Dynamic fights themed around the island
>Navigating the island
>Making death and the time constraint work so your players don't hate you
>>
>>61991804
You mean the MAGICALLY suspended river that flows due to MAGIC?
>>
>>61992130
So, yeah. You have to have completed the attacks to have taken flurry of blows, and thus you must have completed the attacks to take the bonus action shove, then?

Because both still require you to take the attack action.

>>61992133
Both of them are 'you take the attack action'

If you've only taken your attack action right at the end of the attack action, then there is no time before the attack action where you've taken the attack action and can shove.

Otherwise, you're going off of 'if I take the attack action in the future on my turn I can shove' which leads to the paradox.
>>
>>61992212
Natural or unnatural, it's still very clearly running water. That very river has been used since 2e against that vampire.
So your definition can't exclude it.
>>
>>61992149
Honestly I wouldn't say it is without JC saying that it doesn't have to be 'running water' but more like a 'flow of water'.
>>
>>61992259
>So your definition can't exclude it.
Or it can because it's a magical exception.
>>
>>61992049

>Lizardmen are basically retarded and violent so no way to introduce a cool bad guy that is compelling to the players.

That's definitely a you problem. Lizardmen can absolutely make compelling villains you just need to get more creative. What about lizards who worship demons/devils? Their own gods? Want to flood the world? Or were tricked into doing bad shit? etc.

>How can I make an interesting fight for 4 level 5 PCs that is dynamic but stays within the theme of the island.

Lizardmen are aquatic and have a swim speed. Work the environment into battles more. E.g. fighting in a flooded temple is not a big deal for them but it's a huge hindrance for the PCs. Normal island monsters also work.

>I dont know what to do to make the exploration part of the island interesting, should i just skip it? should i make a map or just wing it with "navigation" checks

That's totally up to you. Add points of interest if you want.

>Rest rules

I personally think those are WILDLY over-restrictive myself and will screw with the pacing of your whole campaign. I'd recommend reverting those especially since you seem to not be a very experienced DM. That basically kills the chance for long dungeon crawls, etc.
>>
>>61986529
use a smaller weapon in your offhand, remove the bonus action req, add it in as part of the attack action

so a finesse user would use a shortsword/dagger to start, and if they take dual wielder its a rapier/shortsword
>>
>>61992277
>my definition works so long as you accept that it's inconsistent in any world with magic
>by the way we're talking about vampires
>>
>>61992247
>Both of them are 'you take the attack action'
>>61992039
>"Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action."
>and shield master
>"If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield."
That's like saying "you can always do the thing" and "this allows you to do the thing" are both "do the thing".

>If you've only taken your attack action right at the end of the attack action, then there is no time before the attack action where you've taken the attack action and can shove.
Yes, but SM doesn't require you to have taken the Attack Action, it requires you to take it on your turn.
Ignoring future tense, you can theoretically take the Attack action and move 30 feet before attacking. This shows that there is some difference between taking the Attack action and making a melee (or ranged) attack.
Because all your attacks don't happen instantly (there's room for reactions and movement), there is a space where the Shove attack could fit.
I am aware that the justification is "bonus actions don't work that way", but nothing RAW says that they don't. Crawford only said that there's nothing that says they do, either.
>>
>>61992049
>Lizardmen are basically retarded and violent so no way to introduce a cool bad guy that is compelling to the players.
Introduce one that is especially clever and cruel, creating/instructing the others to build vicious and bloody traps to capture the adventurers

>The lizardmen have 3 stat blocks in the monster manual and none are particularly compelling either. How can I make an interesting fight for 4 level 5 PCs that is dynamic but stays within the theme of the island.
Terrain. Terrain. Terrain. A fight is going to be very different depending on the terrain. A river crossing with lizardmen lying in wait to ambush them mid crossing is a much different fight than them dropping rocks on them from above a cliff face,

>I dont know what to do to make the exploration part of the island interesting, should i just skip it? should i make a map or just wing it with "navigation" checks
Non-combat encounters. landslides, flash floods, plants emitting hallucinogenic spores, crossing chasms, animal stampede, literally anything that can't be solved with "I attack it"
>>
>>61992384
It's literally one exception. Unless you can dig up more an exception does not break anything.
>>
>>61992438
okay if you get to make an exception to your rule then so do i
my exception is that boiling water kills vampires
>>
>>61992279
>What about lizards who worship demons/devils?
Pretty sure this is actual lore. Lizardfolk cult that followed a demonlord that wanted them to destroy Lizardfolk who followed the standard god
>>
>>61992385
The point is, regardless of if you're moving at part of the attacks as is defined you can do, there is only one point you have 'taken the attack action'.
There is no 'you have half taken the attack action' or anything. Maybe if it said 'if you are taking the attack action', but shield master requires that you 'take the attack action'

So there is a single defined point where you have taken the attack action. If you are using shield master before then, you are using future tense. You're pretty much saying 'now because I have started taking the attack action, I know I will complete it and therefore it's fine to use shield master'
Though actually it seems if you use shield master after making a single attack, you shouldn't incur any chance of a paradox because if the enemy is shoved 5ft away or something and you can't hit them, it doesn't matter because you never had to make extra attacks anyway and that's the end of your attack action.

In the end though it's clear I'm far off of what JC's reasoning for it all is and that JC has some contradictions in rules here and there without us getting into the philsophy of 'can we only take an 'if on your turn' action if there is no chance of making a paradox?'
>>
>>61988036
>D&D chain mail weighs 25 kg
I don't expect perfect accuracy from Wotc, but can't they just pay one guy to read the handbook and google stuff like that to check it isn't wildly inaccurate?
>>
>>61992480
>This one magical exception that doesn't break anything because it requires magic.
>"Fine then I'll have an exception too that can occur naturally anywhere"
Nigger these aren't fucking equal and you know that. Stop being disingenuous.
>>
>>61992049
>>61992205
First let's start with
>Central conflict on the island
and create some factions. You can't have ALL lizardmen ALL the time unless you heavily rely on flora and fauna.
Clearly the island is archaeologically important, AND there's weird shit going on (mechanical bull), AND it was abandoned for good reason. Maybe there was a war.
So FACTION 2. The mechanical bull faction. The obvious answer is "gnomes", but if you hate gnomes or want something a little different... warforged. Built by an ancient highly advanced Mayainca empire. Maybe giants. Maybe some of these giants survive as brains-in-jars or magical cyborgs. Maybe they're sleeping or long dead. In all cases the warforged carry on their last will. Take plenty of inspiration from Norse mythology and weird Maya astronaut theory bullshit.
FACTION 3. Does your island have a volcano? It does now. Anyway the place is teeming with either devils or fire elementals/primordials. They're the lizardmen's manipulative new gods.
Which brings us back to FACTION 1, the lizardmen. Why do they hate the PCs? Being xenophobic and territorial is enough but then they'll always be reactive, not proactive. It's better if they send hunting parties to capture the PCs, and generally want something from the PCs. Maybe they think the PCs have got magical blood coursing through their veins so they're trying to sacrifice them to their dead gods to bring them back. Maybe their new gods want to make the PCs their vessels or something.

So what happened on this island? The giants came into conflict with a 2nd precursor race (maybe yuan-ti or mindflayers). Maybe the lizardmen were once their thralls, maybe they consider them "the old gods". Either way, the 2nd precursor race hid deep underground and the giants couldn't fight them, so they created smaller warforged soldiers. Then something happened. One side made a magical nuke, drew on fiendish/primordial power, and wiped out both races. The volcano has been active ever since.
>>
>>61992604
>boiling mud can occur naturally anywhere
>i'm losing the argument, better call him a nigger!
>>
>>61992652
>>boiling mud can occur naturally anywhere
Hot springs dumbass.
>>
>>61992667
>implying hot springs can occur anywhere
>>
Somehow the water argument is more retarded than the shield master argument
>>
File: whatthe.png (36 KB, 112x112)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>Be tanky barb
>DM stops attacking me ever because I'm good at soaking damage
>>
>>61992689
not that anon, but in a fantasy setting they can.
>>
>>61992706
If your DM is playing like a dick that's one thing, but if he's not you should be making yourself a big target if you want shit to dogpile you
>>
>>61992689
>Implying they don't NATURALLY occur
>>
>>61992706
sounds like you need to get a little proactive in your tanking.
>>
File: 1492456381311.jpg (89 KB, 500x484)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>Picked a Tabaxi because I couldn't play human again
>Cool rogue dude with a flying monkey
>Every time I picture my character I see a human
>Remember that I'm a fucking catboi
Why did I do this to myself? Fuck bros I don't wanna be a furry
>>
>>61992706
This is what you get for focusing entirely on making a fucking rock that doesn't do anything instead of something that helps the team.

Barbarogue grapples and shoves shit so they have no choice but to fight the barbarogue.
Pure barbarian uses reckless attack with GWM and maybe even PAM, or even sentinel as well to stop them in their tracks and otherwise shit out damage + make themselves an easy target, so the DM should hit that.
Ancestral guardians barbarian can use a crossbow and still make enemies want to fuck them up instead due to their protective abilities.

What you must have, then, is either a shit DM or you fell for the bear barbarian memes of 'I will just not die and stand around and be otherwise useless!'
>>
>>61992706
should've gone ancestral guardian
>>
>>61992739
it's too late, anon, soon you will be making furry porn on deviant art and explaining your fursona to your parents
>>
>>61992708
>>61992723
the number of hot springs in a fantasy world < the number of magic users who can levitate water lol
>>
>>61992749
I'm a berserker who uses reckless very often. 6 attack rolls per turn, I crit quite often. I have the highest single target damage on our team. And the big bad still focuses the halfling who has spent his past 3 turns healing himself.
>>
>>61992739
I don't think I even really care about the furry stuff, but I just think muzzles look fucking stupid on bipeds. I just don't get it.
>>
>>61992783
Bad DM then
>>
>>61992580
I guess it comes from two different interpretations of what the Attack action is:
>taking the Attack action puts X number of melee attacks in the queue
VS
>making an attack is what uses the Attack action
Mine is the first interpretation, and my reasoning is that one cannot make an attack without a reason enabling it. This is where "Attack but no attacks" comes from.
Yes, this does leave open the possibility for paradoxes, but there are vanishingly few of them, and most of them are theory-crafting.
I assume yours is the second interpretation, where the attacks themselves comprise the Attack action. It does solve the paradox problem, but it implies that the weapon attacks come first, which doesn't mesh well with other parts of D&D (technically, nobody has innate bonus actions, merely features that grant them).
Both interpretations function virtually identically, save for these few situations that call attention to them specifically.
>>
>>61992739
>I couldn't play human again
?
>>
>>61992706
So what you're saying is Reckless Attack every attack.
>>
>>61992049
>>61992623
Okay now we need a cool bad guy. We can come up with a bunch according to the factions.
>Lizardman leader looking to join his gods by proving worthy, may even transform into a half fiend/elemental, go full heart-eating blood-sacrifice ritual magic nonsense
>Fiend/elemental leader who lives in the volcano, is a dinosaur, or both. Has been stuck on this island for a billion years, the lizardmen are too stupid and ineffective. Let's go with the fact they want to reach civilized land and require a mortal vessel to do so.
>Mad giant cyborg leader OR mad warforged AI machine (think a watered-down Primus, or a mechanical Elder Brain). Wants to resurrect the giants and turn the island into a glorious paradise. Will literally bulldoze its way through the opposition and doesn't even acknowledge the PCs except as "bugs" in both senses of the word.

And obviously, any of those bad guys could instead be a patron for the PCs, sending them off to "deal" with an enemy faction.

Another option is to turn your archaeologist into the bad guy: he finds a crazy giant mindboosting machine, or a demonic artifact, and declares himself new god-emperor of Abandonedislandia AND SOON, THE WORLD. Players HATE traitorous NPCs and will want to kill him dead, so this is a great way to motivate them, but betrayal can and will hurt player-GM trust if you didn't foreshadow anything.
>>
>>61992812
>>61992783
>The big bad attacking the healer is bad
?
>>
>>61992783

Shit DM then who's meta gaming and making bad decisions.
>>
New thread:

>>61992850
>>61992850
>>61992850
>>
>>61992852
Well, maybe the Barbarian is bad too. He should be giving the big bad reason to attack him instead, like beating his face in.
>>
>>61992783
So where is the problem? If you can reckless atack as much as you want you should murder everything in your path long before anything can hurt your halfling.
>>
>>61992783
If you're also taunting the big bad mid-combat at how foolish they are to attack somebody who isn't even doing anything over the one rending them apart, the DM is just a brick-tier idiot.
>>
>>61992783
so why aren't you grappling the big bad?
>>
>>61992852
By healing himself I literally mean he drank potions
>>61992860
I'm already dealing the most damage to him
>>61992862
Because it gets tiring when I haven't even dropped below half health in 3 months. Being able to soak damage is a feature of my character that I'm not getting to use.
>>61992869
Cause the big bad is literally big. Too big 5 me
>>
>>61992891
>I'm already dealing the most damage to him
Yeah, if the guy isn't even healing you, and you're also doing the most damage anyway, kind of a dumb DM. Unless it's an intelligent big bad who REALLY thinks the party will fall apart for losing some guy chugging potions for himself, that just doesn't make sense. Besides, that'd probably just make a Barbarian hit even harder.
>>
>>61992846
Thanks for this, im taking so many notes.
>>
>>61992891
>Cause the big bad is literally big. Too big 5 me
lrn2big
>>
>tfw dm literally wont threaten my character in fights because he's leaked to me that i have a role in his next campaign
>>
>>61992891
Get a party member or two to take Enlarge/Reduce, or start buying Potions of Growth.
>>
>>61992821
The first interpretation there calls that you immediately use flurry of blows before even making your attacks. It must be 'immediately afterwards' and you've said that the attack action is done before you've even made those attacks, since they're queued. Sure, if there's a queue, the bonus action attacks are stuck at the end, but I'm not sure you're supposed to dedicate to your attacks before you even know if your action attack will kill the enemy.

Also my interpretation is more that 'you have started using the attack action when you make your attack' and that you've 'taken' the attack action once you've stopped attacking, whether you've been interrupted or used all your attacks or what.

If the attack action only queued attacks, it wouldn't make any paradoxes but it might cause problems with cases like above where stuff if supposed to happen after you take actions.

I don't think there is any right answer. JC probably never had a solid idea of how it worked in the first place.
>>
>>61992940
time to break the game
>>
>>61992931
My pleasure really! There's so much cool stuff to do with lost islands, but so little time. If I can, I'll probably be reusing all these ideas myself, honestly.

I'll continue in the new thread.
>>
>>61992891
Your DM really needs to throw around some spells.
>>
>>61993006
He does. Getting caught in AOE is about the only damage I take. It hurts but doesn't really fucking matter at the end of the day
>>
>>61992953
>The first interpretation there calls that you immediately use flurry of blows before even making your attacks.
Oh crap, that's right.
I'm fine with the Attack action ending after your last attack. That makes sense, and stops a lot of problems. The problem, then, is the beginning, and there's still something about the start of the action and the first attack that seems distinct to me.
So, to me, the logic would be:
>I take the Attack action
>I may trigger SM at any time after this point (assuming I have a bonus action)
>the attacks happen
>the Attack action has been taken
>I may trigger FoB now (assuming I have a bonus action)
Whereas yours (and Crawford's) would be:
>I make my first attack
>this begins the Attack action
>the rest of the attacks happen
>the Attack action has been taken
>I may trigger SM at any time after this point (assuming I have a bonus action)
>I may trigger FoB now (assuming I have a bonus action)
>>
Does anyone know of some solo or Dm-less modules like the death knight's squire?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.