[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1457899917804.jpg (44 KB, 636x371)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
A few days ago, there was a thread from a guy that was running a campaign for himself using 5e rules. It isn't too uncommon to hear about people running solo games if they don't have a group, or if they just want to do interesting "story building" exercises by themself. However, one question that came up a few times in that thread was "How do I get in to this?" or "What tools do you use to play a solo game?", and it occurred to me that it really isn't an easy question.

Yes, you can list off the specific books and tools that are utilized to run a game by yourself. But they don't fully explain how it's done, or the process required to set up your game. More importantly, they don't explain the mindset that you have to get yourself into, or the types of creative writing you have to implement in order to make solo gaming worthwhile. Many people point out that it seems boring or pointless, and I can agree with them, based on what little info is actually out there regarding solo games.

So, I'm taking it upon myself to write up a concise document on how it's done, and how to make such a campaign worthwhile. And I was thinking of making it a game unto itself. A "grown up" form of CYOA book that utilizes whatever fantasy RPG you want.

So, my question to you /tg/, is if you have any suggestions or advice on approaching this project? Also, any input regarding this topic would be appreciated. I've never written anything like this before and once it's finished, I would like to upload it to /tg/ and have a few threads discussing it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>62402055
>>62402980
>>62402997
Bumping this thread, solo rpgs are criminally under appreciated and this is always an issue I've had as well.
>>
>>62402980
>>62402997
>>62403021
Thanks for posting, anons. I'll have to read over this.

I'm gonna have to write up the tables I use for random terrain and dungeon generation.
>>
Bumping the thread as well. My group has a really shitty habit of rescheduling and I love my hobby too much to let them keep me from playing.
>>
Here's the Mythic GM Emulator. It's one of the tools I use when running stuff. It isn't a perfect tool by itself, but often times if I need something to make a decision or generate storylines, it works really well after you get some practice. It is particularly useful in junction with an adventure, or when running "solo games" along with a friend.
>>
Also, if anyone has any stories or things to share about solo games, please share.

I've been running a really interesting Mutants & Masterminds game, recently.
>>
>>62404369
Story time bitch,
Relevant to me as I’m dming another group through it now, I’m not so crazy about how inconsistent combat can be but want to know if maybe I’m just doing something wrong
>>
>>62404242
>>62403021
>>62402997
>>62402980
Well shit! Between these PDFs, they pretty much explain everything you need to know to get started. Maybe I should create a specific game, tailor made for solo play.

I should make a game where you are the master of an adventuring guild, and you send various randomly generated adventurers on quests, and when they're done it's all about resource management and spreadsheets.
>>
>>62405267
>>62404369
>Made a weak "Power level 4" civilian guy, specifically with the intent of seeing if he could survive or what kind of trouble he could get in
>I randomized a setting by going to a short story simulator online. City in the recent past, called it Vannedale.
>My hero is an everyday Joe shmoe just off of his retail job, when GM simulator throws a curve ball at me. I'm being pursued by a woman with white hair
>Great, I'm about to get murdered by some lady
>Turns out she's an ally. She wants me to help her fight evil
>Ask "Why me", but there's no immediately conclusion, so I just figure she comes up with a lame, "You'll know in time" story
>I am still unaware of her power, when the Tutorial adventure in the back of MnM starts
>A bank is getting robbed by supervillains just a block away
>Well, I guess there's no time to settle in
>roll to determine her power. She transforms. Roll to determine which subpower she has, to see what she transforms into
>A weapon. Specifically a sword, by the example
>Oh fuck! My dude is going to have to use her as a sword in combat.
>Sneaks in the back and cautiously, nervously subdues a couple dudes
>Gets his ass beat by Rant and Rave in the bank. They get away with the money, but what's worse is, the news media immediately reveal his identity
>Because of the guys I did subdue, the police are able to catch Rant and Rave
>The chief of police, who is a super, is currently protecting us and is currently piecing together a super team.
>>
Bumping this thread because it's cool. I'm working on a few different solo projects myself and I think there's a pretty good demand out there for well-made solo games. Just look at offerings like Gloomhaven and Kingdom Death Monster. Also the DM's guild for 5E D&D has several books on solo play and some adventures that I'd like to check out.

Bumpity bump as I read some of those pdf's from earlier in the thread.
>>
https://dieheart.net/solo-rpg-resources/

I found this blog full of links to solo rpg engines and actual plays.

I'm looking into solo play to test systems I can't play with my group. I'm still getting stuck on the "what would happen?" phase and need to wing it more.
>>
I'm creating a character right now and maybe tomorrow I'll start trying it out.

Any tips for a frustrated starter solo player?
>>
>>62407592
First, read through the Mythic GM Emulator chapter on "interpreting dice", even if you're not going to use that book. It gives you a thorough description of how to build stories in a less biased manner, and how to come up with entertaining stories and results.

Also, get in the habit of writing stuff down. It doesn't have to be in any extravagant format or narrative, but it should be legible enough that weeks or months from now, you can look back and read through them and understand the story that went on in your game.

Also, sit at a desk without distractions, if you can. Turn on some quiet music and prepare some snacks. People who get triggered at the word "comfy" have never played a solo campaign before.
>>
>2004
>All I had was the 3 ed core books and some printed fanmade supplements I found on some forum and printed on dot matrix paper
>Found some tables about generating dungeons or landscapes and the general ideas of towns
>Used the MM example encounters and DMG rules for overland travel
>Probably spent a whole year of my life playing solo games in my room
>30th level Eldrich Knight named Simon was my best character but he had a whole army of characters beneath him
>Simulated wars between factions and made quests to steal magic items from one another
Dont know if that magic of imagination will ever come back again. Not to that level anyway
>>
Definitely keep this alive, I want to give it a shot but I won't be around for near 24 hours. I tried Ironsworn but fantasy isn't my thing and PbtA even less so; I'd rather do something scifi/cyberpunk.
>>
>>62410578
You should do a sci-fi game:
>Spend the first couple of hours procedurally generating a solar system to explore
>Pull stuff from whatever setting you like and do a tiny bit of world building for each of the inhabited planets, but leave some a mystery
>Make a game about planetary exploration and smuggling goods between worlds
>Write a "Captain's log" after each major event. Then post the logs in fictionpress or something.
>>
>>62410578

Zozer Games' Solo for Cepheus Engine/Traveller is pretty good. Though I don't use the scene-based thing, I prefer lots more die rolling when i solo.
>>
Bump
>>
One last bump before bed
>>
>>62410721
That sounds amazing, what would you use to generate the planets?
>>
How are your actual playthroughs in solo games, anons?
I mean, do you just sit and fantasize what's going on, rolling dice whenever you think it's appropriate game-wise?
Do you write down your narrative?

How do?
>>
>>62413470
Traveller, probably, it's basically the gold standard.
>>
Bumping for interest.
>>
Actual plays of folks doing solo rpgs. There is amazing diversity, all genres.
https://rpggeek.com/thread/1422962/solo-rpgs-your-table-monthly-geeklist-subscription

October's list https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/245487/solo-rpgs-your-table-october-2018
>>
>>62413769

You GOTTA write it down, at least a rough outline. It's important for keeping things straight over any sizable campaign and it changes how the game feels. And no fudging the dice, ever, it sucks all the excitement out as soon as you start doing it.
>>
What system are you using right now for solo play?
>>
File: 1537803389803.jpg (411 KB, 1060x1500)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
>>62413769
I usually write a pretty basic outline of the events and rolls, but then also write a narrative paragraph or piece of dialogue when appropriate. I DO sit and fantasize about what's going on, but everything that I decide upon gets written down in some format. As I stated earlier in the thread, interpretation of the dice and allowing them to actually dictate what's happening is essential. You just have to find a means of writing things down that flows well for you and doesn't get in the way of your writing.

>>62418205
Currently I'm considering running a 5e solo campaign. There are a few minor issues I have with 5e that don't seem to bother other people, so I'm thinking I can work around those things in a solo game and maybe have a pretty good time. Also, I've never played mid-level 5e, so I'm interested to see what that tier of play is like in the system.
>>
How do you guys handle exploration? I like to explore and discover new places for the first time. It seems that if I craft the location out ahead of time it ruins the 'surprise' aspect of the exploration but if I leave it all to random generators I might get samey environments at best and disorganized, illogical locations at worst. What do?
>>
>>62419503
I can really only explain how I go about it. But solo games can ESPECIALLY cater to people that like exploration

>For large overland regions and hex maps
I make a table of all the types of regions that can be found on a map, then whenever I travel, I roll to determine what all the adjacent locations are. So for example. I start off in town, my character only knows what's immediately adjacent to the town. A few farms to the south and west, some hills and a forest to the north, and a forest with a single low-level dungeon of some sort to the east. Of course, as an adventurer, I want to go check that dungeon out. But once I arrive there, I should roll to determine what's beyond that. If I roll on the tables I make, I can see that if you continue east, the road moves on, there's a forest to the northeast, and open plains to the south. In addition to this, I can make a second table that add descriptors. So, I might roll that it's a "dark forest" or "Plains dotted with ruins".

>For immediate locations and dungeons
You might have to tinker with it a bit, but you can procedurally generate dungeons as you explore them. You should make additional tables for descriptors and oddities, but a simple google search of whatever genre you're looking for and "Dungeon room tables" can give you tools for generating floor layouts. If you're running a modern game, just use real world blueprints. Also, don't be afraid to just pull dungeon maps from random places. And when it comes to "secret doors" and stuff like that, you have to show discretion. If you character would fail the check, or would not reasonably find it, then don't peak at whatever treasure is inside.

Again, these take a great deal of practice. A guy called "The Lone Crusader" (I think) writes a blog about solo play, and I remember he wrote a whole article about how to uncover dungeons as you proceed.
>>
>Solo RPG
I don't understand this. If you're averse to human contact just play a video RPG. Soloing a RPG is no difference than making fan fiction.
>>
>>62404242
Well, I came here for this, I've started some homebrew and module campaigns for myself Solo to finally get how to write a proper narrative, but this thread will make it so much better!
>>
>>62420183
>I don't understand this.

That's obvious from your post.
>>
File: 1538581068991.jpg (49 KB, 540x624)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>62420183
If it's not for you, that's definitely understandable. It's not for everyone (Some people enjoy doing paperwork. People called nerds.) And you're right, in a way it's very similar to writing something like fan fiction. But, some people really like writing and reading fan fiction.

Solo RPGs have a lot of different purposes, it's not just for people who are trying to avoid playing with humans. Here are some reasons why one might consider running a solo campaign.

They might:
>Want to try out a new system or test some things they never tried before, like a new "build" or class.
>live in a remote location where finding other people to play with is a hassle.
>want a procedurally generated writing prompt that allows them to write fiction within the constraints of a system.
>Want to simulate their own game experience that caters to their specific tastes. It's like playing a Video Game, but your brain is the console.
>Have specific desires or "magical realm" shit that they don't want to bother others with. You can finally utilize that Book of Erotic Fantasy
>be a GM who wants to do a rough playtest of how an adventure they're writing will play out.
>want to do a "solo" game with a friend, two buddies generating dungeons and adventures together without needing a GM
>have some downtime at work and want to pass the time. Solo RPGs can be taken anywhere, I keep my RP logs in a moleskin notebook
>Have a disability that hinders their ability to play video games
>live in some dumpstertrash town where nobody else plays D&D, so the only way they can experience it is by rolling some dice in private
>not want to play the trash that the video game industry is shoveling out onto people for 60 bucks a pop + season passes
>>
>>62402055
I've tried it at it's pretty tough. Especially with the Mythic GM Emulator as I tried that while waiting on the train.

It should be a system that's easy to remember or at least simplify if you want to play it on the go and complexify if you want to play it for immersion's sake. Otherwise, the character should be simple or easy to remember. Even though I used the GME to play a Fighter, it was still tough trying to remember all the details. I had to go through a lot of battles to remember my stats. Plus, if you play an RPG system that is meant for group play of around four people, then being one character will be tough as you will be quickly outnumbered and beaten by creatures.

It should allow for surprises as the GME works like an oracle but shakes everything up at the last moment. If it would just generate 'forest', 'large object', and 'predator' then I can imagine that there's a wolf attack around a large tree. The narrative is written, the player fills in the blanks, and the rest is played out.

Damn, now I want to make a system like that as well. It's niche, but it might work!
>>
>>62420533
>Damn, now I want to make a system like that as well. It's niche, but it might work!
Do it! There should be as many of these tools as possible so that people can try them out, choose between them and mix and match as they choose.

With the GME, I still have to condense it down to it's primary tables, and just fit it all on one sheet. I keep my Solo game stuff in a single notebook.
I think in one of the PDFs mentioned, there are some tools specifically written for various genres with predetermined tables in them. So it's like you mentioned "Forest, Large object, and Predator". I can't remember what they're called at the moment. But they seem pretty cool. Though, they're started my a Kickstarter group so...
>>
File: Kemlor Jonagold.jpg (4.91 MB, 4633x5051)
4.91 MB
4.91 MB JPG
>>62404369
Pic related is my Halfling Cavalier called Kemlor Jonagold and his trusty steed Concord. (Art is a commision I requested, the artist loved how detailed I was in my description.) I made him just to see if it was possible to try the GM Emulator and to make something where I wasn't sure if the concept would fly in groups or with a different DM. I tried to make a character that was as simple as possible while still fun to play. So a Fighter was a good bet, but I was curious about how mounted combat worked and if I could do that from level 1.

Backstory:
Kemlor used to be a miner and a smith for simple farming tools. He lived a normal life with hard work and met his family at the end of each day. He would meet all his little brothers and sisters and after a hearty meal would hear the stories from his mother. While taking their pet dog, Concord, out for a walk he would meet his childhood friend, Bobbin Elstar. Along their normal route he would glance at Irva Breaburn’s house to see if she was out doing laundry. His heart always jumped at the first sight of her but he never dared to say a thing.
Then one night, the village of Tog was in turmoil. Screams were heard and flames were seen on the edges of the town. A horde of Goblins pillaged any food storage and took any object they would deem valuable, leaving nothing for the little folk behind. They were lead by an Ogre infamously known as Mong the Glutton or Mong the Terrible. Through bullying, he managed to gather a Goblin tribe and take anything for himself. The little folk were a peaceful people, but this couldn’t stand.
>>
>>62420678
As the Halfling village rallied and gathered their pitchforks, shovels, wheelbarrows, and pans, so too was Kemlor at home until met with Bobbin, a fearful but determined look on his face and riding his mastiff, poised for battle. As Kemlor heard the commotion at the village, it dawned on him quickly enough what needed to be done. He grabbed the first things he could find that could help him, his pickaxe, a pan, and his trusty pal Concord. As they rode towards the chaos they were met with Irva on her Saint Bernard. As much as Kemlor’s heart started to race, he had to steel himself and keep the village safe. Together they charged at the Goblin horde, as the cavalry arrived you could hear them cry in tandem “Tally-ho!” and drive the Goblins back. Yet, no sign of Mong or his admittance of defeat. That night, the three mounted warriors were praised for their prowess and thus the trio were known as The Golden Apples.
Most Halflings would be glad that the danger was over and that most of them weren’t hurt. Kemlor shares this thought, but not as much as the others. He doesn’t believe that Mong the Terrible would quit and that the village is completely safe from harm. He is determined to end Mong’s reign personally. As he said goodbye to his family, they first didn’t want him to go but eventually accepted his departure. They each took a button and put it in a box for him as a keepsake. As he took his trusty pal with him, he met Bobbin and Irva. To Bobbin he gave a piece of purified steel, to Irva he gave a piece of malachite. And thus he became a knight in his own mind. As he rode in the distance, you could hear him make his distinctive battle cry which he will never let your forget, “Come along, Concord! Tally-ho!”

And that's how I just used the GME to battle Goblins, gain honors for keeping a wounded soldier safe, and now I have retainers to defeat Mong and his terrible tribe of Goblins. It's simplistic, but it still feels heroic.
>>
>>62420734
>riding his mastiff, poised for battle
FUCK YEAH! That's pretty fuckin' awesome.
>>
>>62407592
Create a simple character mechanics-wise. You're going to play against yourself and do a lot of back-and-forth switching so if you've got some noodly complicated spellcaster ready, try something simple first.

I like to use sticky notes so I suggest getting those notes to stick in a book. If you use a system with stat blocks, look for a way to get each relevant monster on a single sticky note. Learn how to abbreviate and do quick head-maths and re-cycle those stat blocks. I'd allow two sticky notes for massive boss monsters. This might work well with session prep, too!

Be fair but willing to lose or to run. I got my ass handed to me when I forgot that I had a bunch of soldiers with me and I tried to fight seven hyenas by myself. I was a tanky character, but severely outnumbered and couldn't outrun them either. So try to balance it, but be fair when you lose. You can still pull a Deus Ex Machina out which may make the campaign interesting.

Be willing to get retainers or temporary PCs. I've ran a duet for a friend and she went REALLY FAST through that session. So I've figured that combat would be more epic if I got some simple PCs that only hang around for one adventure.

Come up with a goal for your character and create a solid, interesting backstory. It doesn't need to be their entire life, just the tipping point of when their adventure starts. Be experimental with character builds and mechanics. You're the GM as well. Don't shy from giving yourself too many magical items or overpowered ones. You're on your own against many.
>>
>>62405296
I'd definitely play a videogame like that.
>>
Speaking of Solo games, what do you guys think of just using the Mythic Red book? I've been looking for something to run 7th Sea in but legitimately can't stand the mechanics.
>>
>>62422430
of 7th sea 2e*. I posted before I even finished the sentence.
>>
Has anyone had any experience running Dungeon World with GME or another solo engine? It seems like it would lend itself well to that sort of thing.
>>
You know what would make a pretty awesome Solo RPG? Pic related! The combat is card based, so you can just make decks for each opponent or group of opponents you're facing, and then make a deck for yourself.
>>
Huh. Maybe a solo game will finally give me the chance for something like Eclipse Phase without worrying about trying to sell it.
>>
File: 1450171446482.jpg (360 KB, 638x991)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
>>
File: 1451667909832.jpg (80 KB, 400x720)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
The only poster in a solo game thread.

Ironic. Is there any good resource for post-apocalypse solo games?
>>
File: 1455730799378.jpg (345 KB, 850x1204)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
polite bump
>>
>>62427221
A while back there was another thread about solo games, and this guy posted a few posts about the tables and mechanics he used to run an apocalypse game. From what I gathered, he used Apocalypse World, with tables borrowed from D20 Modern: Apocalypse, and then used real world maps for the locations. If I remember correctly D20 apocalypse has some interesting tables on generating random junk and wasteland encounters.

Seema like it would be pretty fun!
>>
I'm tired of switching between PDFs, and I want to game away from my PC. So I'm making a quick reference document for solo 5e.

Are there any tables or excerpts that I should consider adding? Right now I have the tables from GME and some of Gygax's more tame "random name generators".
>>
>>62428112
Some adventure generators and additional rules such as cleaving or tumbling might help.
>>
Hey I started reading the PDF posted in here and I got completely lost, losing track of time. Thanks a lot.
Now I really want to start making my own adventure
>>
File: Player Emulator.pdf (72 KB, PDF)
72 KB
72 KB PDF
I've been considering attempting a solo game, but instead of using oracles for the game master, I'm thinking of using oracles for player character actions. I'm just unsure what I'd actually do, probably run a module and summarize player actions in journal entries to test it out.
>>
>>62420183
>fan fiction

Any GM who is using source material as a reference is writing fan fiction.
Any player who makes an edgy character is writing fan fiction.
Any player who makes a character based off of some other established character is writing fan fiction.
Any player attempting a self-insert character is writing fan fiction.
Any GMPC who knows what to do in his own campaign while ignoring the party is writing fan fiction.

Any writer who starts with a narrative and then writes out the outcome is writing fan fiction by that definition. There is some horrible fan fiction out there, Anon. But sometimes, just sometimes, it can be good. Solo is no different than writing an adventure, it's just that you play through it as you write it.
>>
>>62430945
>>62420183
>>
I wish there was more stuff out there for one-on-one gming. Sure you CAN do it in every system but it's painfully obvious that's not how it was designed snd just tuning down challenges can't fix that. Wonder if I'll find anything useful for that in these. Thanks OP.
>>
>>62431870
Well, I've outlined an RPG system years ago for duets, but with the video game era and the massive competition from fantasy genres and more obscure systems that work for one-offs, I didn't bother making it because I think it won't sell.
>>
When's the next Game Design General?
>>
>>62432031
Video games only really compete with wargame-esque rpgs like DnD where roleplaying is somewhat limited at the system level. The primary barrier to RPGs is time. I tried gathering my uni friends (all interested and have played games) for rpg and every week there was some fucking flake. Friend wrangling is tricky and great way to just poison your perception of everyone you like. Also school has conditioned people to be scared of books. For what it's worth: I do think a sufficiently marketed duet system could sell (it solves most of the friend wrangling and there are a lot of people out there who struggle finding groups of 4-5) but if you're still not all the confident in it, care to share what you have?
>>
File: aepy9gq_460s.jpg (39 KB, 460x690)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>62432249
I don't have much to share, all I have is the idea that there isn't any HP, and combat is based on head, torso, arms, and legs. Each part has status effects (the head also has things such as sanity or other traumas). It makes it sound like Fallout's VATS system. But it might work better when you think about the action economy because each hit on the body part could cripple that person. Making armor and taking cover essential, and thus very cinematic and easier to recognise when you need to run instead of... running at it until HP is 0 and then complain that you didn't know that the creature or swarm was too dangerous.

As for duets, I saw pic related. It made me think 'Wow, that would be cool in an RPG, but if you did that in a group, you'd be the special snowflake with an overpowered talking mount or something'. So it's better for duets with customizable stuff that helps you make more attacks in a single round. Plus, no initiative. It's all in one turn and both sides choose to either defend, attack, or parry, something like that.

But fuck it, I should just make it and see what happens. I didn't get that degree in game design for nothing (I hope).
>>
File: 1458033546555.jpg (26 KB, 547x274)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>rolled up a 5e Human Fighter yesterday morning
>Been running him through randomly generated Dungeons having a pretty good time so far
>Up to level 3, it's time to invest in hirelings
>Roll up a couple level 1 NPCs, one of which is a rogue with moderately high stats. Nothing crazy, but positive modifiers in everything
>First combat we go in to, just fighting some standard bandits
>His first attack is a crit
>Implemented a homebrew Cleave rule as >>62428280 suggested
>He gets to make another attack
>Another Crit, max damage killing the nadit
>"Oh wow..."
>Gets to make another attack
>Crit again
>My face when
>>
>>62432567
>homebrew Cleave rule
No need for homebrew. It's in the DMG, in the Toolbox section.
>>
>>62432691
Ah! Thank you. I looked through the player handbook over and over and didn't see it listed there (except once, in passing.)
>>
>>62431870

Scarlet Heroes/Black Streams is designed for one-on-one. (It also does pretty well at solo gaming)
>>
Do you guys actually use solo-intended games? I gave Ironsworn a shot and it was pretty rough, but maybe that's just the PbtA formula at work.
>>
>>62424323
PbtA lends itself pretty well to solo play. Even in a group game, the gm isn't really supposed to know what's going to happen anyway. With no hidden information required, you can play both sides without changing much. There's one specifically made for solo called Ironsworn, but really any of them work alright for it.
>>
>Solo RPG
Isn't that just basically Choose your own Adventure books?
>>
>>62434669
I've tried Scarlet Heroes and Ironsworn. SH was okay. Ironsworn was cool, but I found it hard to get off the ground. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I played a few times and most of them ended up with a dead character pretty quickly.
>>
>>62436298
That's similar to the problem I had too. It was rough finding a story seed to work from, and once I did I bit the dust fast.
>>
>>62436246

Gamebooks are, yeah. They're CYOA books with dice rolling. Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf are the most famous series of gamebooks. There are also solo modules for various systems which work on that same principle, but use a full scale RPG system. D&D's old solo modules were like that.
Then there's dedicated solo games, designed for a single player, and the GMEs, which are like a magic 8 ball that answers questions you would normally ask your GM, which allows you to run most any system as a single player one, provided you've got a little bit of imagination.
>>
>>62436246
Yes, basically. It's like the "grown up" form of a Choose Your Own Adventure. But, depending on how you do it, it is usually a lot more intricate than just "Choose A or B". Also, a lot of the time solo engines can throw curve balls at you that you can't see coming.

For instance, I was running a standard level 1 published module that I'm actually really familiar with. Everything was going as expected until GME shook things up, and a secret passage was revealed at the back of the dungeon. This adventure that I knew like the back of my hand suddenly became a lot more interesting because there's a whole hidden floor beneath the normal dungeon.

It's like playing a choose your own adventure where at any point, more or less options can be given to you out of nowhere. Imagine a choose your own adventure book about a boy exploring a cave, but at any point you can say, "Well, I don't like any of these choices... The boy is just going to go home!" And suddenly the whole book becomes about what happens on his walk home.
>>
What did your most recent session not based on a prewritten module look like?
>>
My last one was an experiment with using Marvel Heroic and the simple GME from the Tiny Solitary Soldiers blog. It turned into a fight between Spider-Man and the mayor who had been juiced by Green Goblin. It was okay, I like the extremely simple nature of the TSS solo rules, and Marvel Heroic seems like it could be pretty fun solo.
>>
>>62402980
>>62404242
What other solo PDF would you recommend using with this? I'm going to use it for my heavily homebrewed version of ACKs to play some characters I've thought up for a while now.
>>
File: moebius.jpg (273 KB, 980x653)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>
Remember, you're not solo if you have an animal companion.
>>
File: quoe8zhjpir11.jpg (857 KB, 1454x2000)
857 KB
857 KB JPG
>>
>>62444419

t. Alan Dean Foster
>>
>>62444419
...but you might be solo if you run around with a wookie.
>>
>>62402055
Please join the Lone Wolf roleplaying group on Google+ OP. It's the most active solo roleplaying group on the internet and you will get plenty of discussions.
>>
I've run a few solo's using Mythic and they've all been pretty solid. But I get burned out constantly building the worlds and loot pools and npcs etc.

Is there a single place on the internet that links all randomiser tools for quick access? Or even ranks them for how useful they are?
>>
>>62447488
There are two websites that I remember someone linking in the past that are basically huge archives of random tables. I'll look around and see if I can find them, but I can't even remember what they were called. One was just for generating quick, yet unique dungeons. The other was just general randomized tables. I remember using it a lot to make Warhammer Fantasy NPCs for some reason...
>>
>>62447083
Didn't you hear Google+ is being shut down? We need to start a new alternative.
>>
Hi /solo/. I saw that thread a few days ago and I was inspired to try it but wasn't sure how. After seeing this thread I'm definitely making an attempt. I decided to run 5e first just because I'm very familiar with the system but I think I'd like to try to use it for things like B/X at a later point because I have nostalgia for when I played AD&D as a child and would like to run B/X for some other millennials at some point. I figure it's a good way to make yourself particularly familiar with a system.
So anyway I decide to random roll a character's class, race and background and that brought about Jakob the Hobgoblin and ex-Acolyte of the cult of Tharizdun, now Wizard. Using some random rolls and tarot cards I came up with a rough backstory. Jakob was kicked out of the cult and it's possible they tried to kill him. He was found injured by a young aspiring mage girl and she nursed him back to health. Where she is now is a mystery to me but it probably involves some chivalrous, young lad acting like a nice guy and attempting to save the poor damsel from this frightful goblin. In any case the ultimate, long-term goal for Jakob is to release Tharizdun from his eternal prison. Think we're looking at an anti-villain here. I'll post more when things develop more if people are interested.
>>
>>62402055
Use a premade module. Play it as you read it.
>>
>>62448950
Go for it, I'm interested in anyone's experiences, especially since I have no idea what hooks to start from (scifi and post apocalypse have less support than fantasy). And it sounds like you've got something great started.
>>
>>62447631
Donjon might be one of the sites you're thinking of.
>>
>>62448831
Yeah, people there are already brainstorming. Once there's a consensus, I'll move to where they're going. Solo role-playing is really really goddamn niche, so if I find somewhere with active discussion I'm gonna go there and encourage others to go there. I'm
>>
>>62449750
That's what this dude called "Lone Crusader" does. He has a whole blog about it.
>>
>>62451057
We could start a Discord server if nothing else. If no one else wants to I can set it up tonight after work.
>>
>>
File: IMG_8602.png (592 KB, 914x898)
592 KB
592 KB PNG
This thread is sad. I'm sorry for you all.
>>
>>62453570
I have two regular games that I enjoy quite a bit. I just like to experiment with characters and story structures not suited to group play.

And systems my group refuses to try.
>>
>>62453570
We're happy with it. You're free to join, Anon.

Unless you just came here for a (You).
>>
>>62453570
Seems hardly worth necking yourself over, but you do you.
>>
File: wang-ci-run-girl.jpg (578 KB, 1920x1023)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: HitlerWasADumbass.jpg (36 KB, 258x500)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Hey guys, poker player here. I just found out some people play solitaire. That's just sad, do they not have any friends?
>>
How often do you play in existing settings versus making a setting on the fly?
>>
What would be the best system to solo with?
I imagine something that isn't too crunchy would be best to start out with, that way your spending more time creating the story instead up flipping through rules.
>>
>>62459954
This is kind of a cop out, but the best system is the one you are most excited about. Without any other players, your own enthusiasm is the only thing that keeps the game going. If you run out of juice, nobody else is there to pick up your creative slack.
That said, I would avoid systems with really complicated mechanics because that could make it a pain in the ass to keep track of everything.
>>
>>62459954

I found that rules light systems kinda leave me with little to work with when I get stuck and don't know where to go next. But maybe that was just me.
>>
What makes for an interesting oracle?
>>
>Saw this thread a couple days ago
>Tell myself, "Man, I would have to be pretty desperate to do a solo campaign."
>Go in to work last night.
>"Hey, computers are down for system maintenance. So just hang out and answer phones."
>Most people used vacation time to just go home. My entire corner of the floor is dead silent.
>Forgot to charge my phone before work, I just got there and it's on 3%
>Nine hours with no phone, no computer, and my only instruction is to sit by my phone
>Found 2d6 in a board game in a storage closet

One of you all did this!
I used the last of my battery to look up a system that used d6s, and found something pretty straightforward. Did a little dungeon crawl based on some tables I made. Wasn't bad! I could see myself doing it in a normal situation, actually.
>>
>>62465259
Nice! What system did you end up using?
>>
>>62465368
It's the first one listed on Google as a "2d6 system". It's very simple and I ended up writing up a lot of tables for generating the dungeons and enemies. But I would highly suggest it to anyone locked in an office for an entire night.
>>
>>62465259
One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!
>>
>draw up a character
>settle on a start hook
>fall apart when it comes to placing the hook somewhere in the setting, because travel is important

one day I'll manage
>>
File: 1539128824924.jpg (6 KB, 226x223)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>62453570
dude you are on tg on 4chan, and you are telling people that play role playing games, an entirely imagination based process, alone, to kill themselves. ..... really ?, like really?!
>>
>>62467335
that anon killed itself because it was sad about this thread.
We need more anons like that.
>>
>>
Bump.
>>
bumping in case there's something I want to reply to
>>
So...would shadowrun be a good system to solo?
>>
>>62476289

You can solo just about any system. If Shadowrun floats your boat, go for it.
>>
File: loot.jpg (83 KB, 800x533)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I'm experimenting with a randomly generated dungeon where the obstacles are laughably weak but delaying, and there is a set amount of time before overwhelming reinforcements arrive. The goal is to see how much loot I can get out with. I'm thinking about adding in tool use similar to Fire Emblem or FF Tactics A2, where certain obstacles are handled faster using certain tools and it's not always clear which tools will work best.
>>
>>62476289
The side effect of Shadowrun's niche protection is that your game will be very focused on one particular thing; a decker is going to do a lot of decking and fairly little else, the same for a mage, a solo, etc. I'd suggest going Prime Runner generation (if you're using 5e) to give yourself some more flexibility.
>>
>>62476649
That reminds of that end of show prize game that some videogame show had (can't remember the name) Had to race around the studio set, with ramps and ladders as obstacles, snatching as many prizes as you could and stick them to your velcro vest before time ran out.
>>
>>62476735
I think it could work as a two player coop game, too.
>>
>>62477069
Make it a race to see who can get the most loot.
>>
>>62402055
Solo Traveller is a thing, especially for merchant marine oriented campaigns.
>>
>>62477680
What would you really even do, besides economics simulator?
>>
>>62477722
>>
>>62477722
Roll of shit like how many passengers you can pick up on a world and what type, trading with the planet, event tables before FTL travel, if the peasants who chose cryo-freeze survive the journey, more events.
>>
>>62404242
I usually play Wargames - not RPG's - but Mythic helps there, too.
The most important thing to do, when using it, is to ask yourself what would be the best way to fuck yourself over - and then do it.

Some of my funnest campaigns went that way - and trying to dig yourself out of all the various messes keeps the campaign fresh.
>>
/sp/ here. Y’all aren’t the only ones that do this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Universal_Baseball_Association,_Inc.,_J._Henry_Waugh,_Prop.
>>
>>62478562
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Universal_Baseball_Association,_Inc.,_J._Henry_Waugh,_Prop.

Link broke for some reason
>>
So, is it possible to run something like Dragon Heist solo?
>>
Don't die yet.
>>
>>62481979
We're already dead inside.
>>
File: 1531121002673.jpg (211 KB, 850x856)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
I'm going to start doing this soon.

So tired of my group flaking. We're only level 5 after 9 months in 5e. It's pissing me off!
>>
>>62482832
That makes two of us then. I can't believe how hard it is to make five adults dedicate some hours to something they assure me they enjoy every two weeks and in the end we've only played three sessions since we started back in May
>>
>>62482934
>>62482832
I keep getting sessions cancelled as well, I sympathize. It's the only reason I'm trying (even if I'm failing to even get started).
>>
>>62476289
Yeah. Funnily enough, I prefer crunchier systems when I play solo and lightweight systems when I run games for others. Crunchy games feel more like games when alone because you'll get a lot of shit to interact with.
>>
>>62483223
I'd be more concerned about a lack of *variety* to interact with. Shadowrun's strict on niche protection, unless you play a mage you'd be doing Just One Thing a whole lot.
>>
>>62483345
Your options could be: have "npcs" to deal with that, having your runner spread through multiple niches with a hybrid build or just plain not focusing your runs too much on your non-niches (unless dramatically appropriate).

If you do get to play please tell us how it went!
>>
>>62483505
Different anon from the original; I've been looking at a handful of systems and statted up characters in each, but not managed to get underway. It's certainly easier going when you have other players.
>>
>>62483505
I've been considering that with D&D. One main character with a handful of NPCs that utilize simplified character sheets that fill niches my character does not.
>>
>>62478578
>>62478562
I don't know anything about sports but

>Coworker is an old guy that uses a deck of cards to generate random events an outcomes of his own fantasy football league
>Everyone else gives him shit about it
>I tell him about my tabletop gaming hobby and explain that I do the same thing "but with Lord of the Rings characters"
>He keeps some sort of roster magazine and folder pertaining to his progress in his desk
>Keeping me updated all the time on his "players" and "Teams" and whether he's going to have enough to hire so-and-so.

Seems pretty alright.
>>
>>62484452
Oh man, this old dude seems like a fine fella.

Protect his smile, anon.
>>
File: rv_by_klegs-dbjqo19.png (777 KB, 1024x512)
777 KB
777 KB PNG
>>62484452
I want to give him a hug and I don't even know him.

What a guy.
>>
>>62479444
Any module can be done if:
1. You re-build all encounters to match for one PC.
2. You create a manageable party of 4 PCs for just yourself like it's Final Fantasy.
3. Steel yourself and not metagame when you read entries about hidden doors and just either get a PC with high passive Perception or just ignore it.
>>
>>62487367
>1. You re-build all encounters to match for one PC.
How? The Dragon Warrior way?
>>
When you play do you write the session down (like a story or an after session report) or do you just day dream and roll dice? I usually can't be bothered to write a story about what happened so I just have brief notes and just keep everything in my head most of the time.
>>
>>62488381
1. You look at the monster and build it down to be easier.
2. If it's a group, scale it down until it's just one monster so it's a fair fight in the action economy.
3. Ditch the plan and just make a party of 4 or a bunch of mook NPCs because fuck that shit.
>>
>>62488381
Different anon.
I used kobold fight club, its a bit rough but it's (mostly) worked.
Ex: the first encounter in lost mines of Phandelver has 4 goblins, and an expected party of 5 lvl 1s, rating it a 'hard' fight.

Decrease party number to 1 and then lower the number of goblins until you get a hard fight, in this case vs 1 goblin.

Or you can play more than 1 character or have hirelings etc.
>>
>>62488434
It depends on the sub- and super systems. Mythic GM Emulator first lets you come up with a thread, which is the goal or main plot point of the adventure. The rest is filled up with scenes and each scene is made up and then twisted with random dice rolls and interpretations before the scene even starts. You then go from scene to scene until the main thread is closed.
>>
I feel like we should put together a more compact OP for future threads, so that we don't need to make the first few posts of the thread just PDFs as well. Anyone good at layout and whatnot that could draft something up?
>>
Is there a way to automate battles?
>>
>>62490331
rolling massive piles of different colored dice that each represent different rules.

Set up basic if/then tables for simple encounters.

I don't know?
>>
>>62488446
Another fun way to achieve that would be to build a character using alternative rules, like gestalt for D&D.
>>
>>62484452
Who's winning?
>>
File: 1433920337996.jpg (242 KB, 1024x1279)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
Are we as lonely as this cat?
>>
>>62492812

I'm in two games with other people right now, and a third that may or may not be continuing. I still play solo, because why not?
>>
>>62492945
>because why not
because setting up is a pain in the ass and it's easy to be completely directionless, especially considering RPGs thrive by social interaction and multiple viewpoints
>>
Do you think kingdom management might fit well with a solo style? What are some suggestions for systems like that?
>>
>>62493091

Maybe that goes for you, but not everyone has those problems.
>>
>>62493241

An Echo, Resounding is supposed to be fantastic. And I could see its whole GM turn faction thing working great as part of a standalone solo game.
>>
>>62493334
Hmm, I seem to recall this thread about being something-
>how it's done, or the process required to set up your game. More importantly, they don't explain the mindset that you have to get yourself into, or the types of creative writing you have to implement in order to make solo gaming worthwhile

Oh yeah. That. Would you like to contribute? OP's writeup is apparently not getting posted, and the first few posts of PDFs aren't very helpful.
>>
How much do people use Ironsworn?
>>
>>62494553
I've played it a few times.
>>
File: 955.jpg (19 KB, 480x357)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
For greater justice.
>>
>>62493356
>An Echo, Resounding
Huh, I can't find that one in the Archive. Do you have it? I guess it's only 10 bucks right now, but I'd rather know if I'll actually like it before committing.
>>
>>62499005

Try the OSR trove, under Sine Nomine publishing
>>
>>62500762
I tried before but didn't find it either, though now I've actually explored the folders and it was in Red Tide. Thanks for making me look again, anon.

While we're at it, how do you guys think OSR systems compare to modern RPGs for solo playing? Does the lesser number of classes and mechanics make it easier to run? Do you just prefer the variety of having a good amount of classes and shit? Which OSR do you guys enjoy?
>>
>>62500867

I like that it has a solid game loop around the dungeon crawl. If you're not feeling the roleplay for a bit, you can treat it like a board game and it works. Later editions fall down in that respect, as the rules are kind of mushy.
>>
I'm not really huge into solo rpgs, but from what I'm reading here a web app or something similar with a bunch of random events and an adventure to follow could work for what you guys want. It would help to obscure the table and adventure details from the player, and having it online would help for when people have internet but no access to dice or PDFs.

Assuming someone were to make something like that, which of the following sounds better?

>fantasy, sci-fi, or mix
>generic and loosely defined setting or something made for the app
>use a specific system or be systemless
>>
>>62501091
I mean, the way to make it have the most appeal would be to have it as a mix, with a generic and loosely defined setting and have it be systemless, so that truly anyone could use it regardless of their knowledge on existing TTRPGs.
>>
>>62501091
It'd be nice to do something like Donjon if possible (it's a good resource to look at, by the way); selectable genres/types of material to pull from, kept system independent unless you specifically choose to use a setting. Obviously you can't populate options for every setting, but say... "Fantasy", "Modern," "Scifi", "Dungeons & Dragons", "Shadowrun". As an example, at least. Some of us can probably help with each category.
>>
>>62501091
>>62501367
What systems have the best random tables for generating encounters/worlds/items/misc?
>>
>>62490331
Look into the concept of state machines. Most games worth playing have mechanics that represent things like morale, mental state, degree of injury taken, tactics based on weapon/magic of choice, etc.; you can design state machines that deternine how an [Aggressive] [Shieldbearer] acts, how a [Timid] [Fire Elementalist] acts, etc.; you can even include extra tags, like [Boss], [Worthy], and [Fodder]. Don't make the state machine results specific actions, but something like

>Timid: if (hp<50%) run away;
>Aggressive: if (hp<-0%) run away;
>Fodder: if (hp<50%) die;
>Worthy: If (hp<0%) die;
>Boss: only die when you fail your Health roll;
>>
A very sweet old lady runs a whole YouTube channel on solo dogs which I love. @geekgamers.
>>
>>62501758
You'll see the best fantasy ones by far in OSR material, usually. Nothing is coming to mind at the moment but when I'm at home and have my PDFs I may have something more specific. Scifi worlds are done very well by both Traveller and Stars Without Number. I can't really speak to the rest.
>>
>>62502049
Where can I get some OSR material?
>>
>>62502408

snip dot li /O-S-R
snip dot li /OSRAnnex
>>
>>62501931
>solo dogs
I can't check right now, but should I be concerned?
>>
>>62501931
Was that an autocorrect for rpg, or does she exclusively play dogs in the vineyard?
>>
>>62501825
That's a pretty good simple way to do it.
>>
File: 1492239987202.jpg (776 KB, 927x1000)
776 KB
776 KB JPG
>>
>>62402055
How's the guide, OP?
>>
File: 028_max.jpg (238 KB, 1222x817)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>
File: 1473611091482.png (1.37 MB, 1000x1412)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
Would hirelings, or perhaps robots in higher-tech settings, be a good way to offset the weakness of a solo PC?
>>
>>62514137

Depends on system and setting, really. Some systems are better at handling lone PCs than others.
>>
I once took adderall and played a solo deathwatch game, chronicling the entire experience in servitor style. It was ridiculous. Let me see if I can find the log.
>>
I'm thinking of trying this but I can't decide between Pathfinder and 5e. 5e is newer and in interest in learning more about it. But on the other hand I know Pathfinder inside and out and I know how to make a character who can operate on their own.
>>
>>62515049
My only real issue with playing 5e solo is the skill system really isn't ideal for a single character. You cant dip a few points into other skills to at least be somewhat capable of them. You either have proficiency or you dont, and you dont get many.
>>
>>62514897
That sounds ludicrous and I'm here for that.
>>
>>62514137
It would make things interesting, however, handling multiple PCs alone AND NPCs playing against you is tough. Plus, not every system has a clear-cut answer to game balance when you just take NPC stat blocks.
>>
>>62514897
God this sounds great.
>>
>>62514897
>>62517803
Bumping this anon
>>
>>62515298
>>62517803
>>62519637
Really sorry guys but I cant find it. I'm really upset about it too. I must have put it somewhere really dumb for it to not survive my last reformat. I cant find my Deathwatch pdfs either.

It's a shame. I never took adderall again after trying it for a couple weeks because it affected me too strongly. I was literally pretending to be a servitor that cataloged everything the group did.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.