[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1522019978780.jpg (142 KB, 673x1000)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>Unearthed Arcana: Wayfinder's Guide to Magic Items
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Magic_Items_of_Eberron.pdf

>5e Trove
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/D%26D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com
Stable releases - https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous adventure >>62433379

What's your least favourite class, and why?
>>
File: 1529988495677.png (117 KB, 444x540)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>least favourite class
Paladin [when someone else plays it].

Guess what my favorite class is.
>>
>>62441409
>Least favorite class
Warlocks. Not because I do not like the class - it's actually good, and could be better with a 'revised', but the people who play Warlock always play the damn same cringey shit/powergamey shit
>>
Warlock. Because >>62441484
>>
is wayfinder's guide to eberron somewhere in the trove?
>>
I used to have issues with certain classes. But after reading them all over a few more times, I found ways to have fun with any of them.
>>
>>62441470
Anti-Paladin :3
>>
>>62441409
>What's your least favourite class, and why?
English.
>>
>>62441511
Patrician right here
>>
>>62441511
All classes are fine as long as they don't pick the cancerous archetypes.
>>
I’ve never played a barbarian that I’ve liked. Maybe I need to think of a different background then just “me big boy me smash”
>>
File: Daniel_Lambert.jpg (99 KB, 821x1137)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>62441409
The working class.
>>
>>62441564
Exactly, or you play archetypes in new and fun ways like a "gunslinger" Sun Soul Monk that uses finger guns
>>
File: 2821636.jpg (78 KB, 800x600)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>Think of personal story quest for my character
>In a nutshell it's a heist on a manor with a bunch of rich people stuff
>It's the home of my characters parents
>Goal is steal sword made of rose gold
>Belonged to an ancestor character looked up to
>But character got disowned and kicked from family
>Wanted to get back at them
>But all in all real goal is to get a sick awesome rose gold sword
>Confront DM about it on Discord and talk it out
>My DM thinks the rose gold sword is stupid and wants to change the whole plot
I just want a sick awesome rose gold sword
>>
>>62441656
>Golden sword
Sounds impractical
>>
How would you design a magic item based around stealing souls in contracts written with it? Tiefling PC wants to start drawing up devil contracts and I'd like to provide some incentive. Currently looking at Cage the Soul spell but they are only level 6.
>>
>>62441656
magic weapons are memes
>>
>>62441694
and you sound poor
>>
>>62441656
realistically a sword made of rose gold would be stupid
but then again, there's (common) magic that makes shit unbreakable, so why the fuck not. Sounds like your DM is a tool.
>>
>>62441700
You're a meme
>>
I agree with >>62441484

Warlocks, never played one, made a few for enemies but one guy in the groups I'm in keeps playing them all the time and in a super flat and cringey way.

One of the games I played with him, his character carried their Patron on his back, a cursed sword who told him to kill a load of NPCs (Hexblade because he was a min-maxer), he fought a bunch of other people in the group because we didn't like his shit.
The wizard didn't have any of it and fought him but his out of character best friend joined in to defend him even though his character wouldn't and his character admitted it he did it just because.
At the end of the campaign he hired an assassin to kill the Wizard, DM just said it happened, total bs call imo, a wizard can easily take a common hired assassin but whatever, the game was only like 7 or 8 sessions.
But the best part is he got mad because he spent all his gold on hiring an assassin but another assassin caught wind that he had a magic sword so killed him in the night, lost his mind that his character got murdered.

He turned me off a class I had a lot of fun with in 3.5 (Hexblade) because he played it like shithead.
>>
>>62441656
>i want a super awesome snowflake weapon
Gay.
>>
Is it a bad idea to use a shield on a primarily melee AT? I'm thinking about taking a level in fighter.
>>
>>62441742
everybody should get to be special sometimes
>>
>>62441694
Ok and? It's DnD I'm not aiming for practical
So what if I want a rose gold sword which I would want to name Maidens Blush in honor of my romantic dream!
>>62441728
True enough, I mean 3.5 even had gold as an upgrade material for weapons, though that being said it was chemically treated to be as strong as steel, though much heavier, so you needed Exotic Weapon Proficiency for any weapon of gold as it was become a "Heavy" version of itself, though it upgraded the damage dice by one step, so a longsword went from a D8 to a D10 or a Greatsword from 2d6 went to 3d6

But at the cost of exotic weapon proficiency
>>
>>62441607
well yeah, it's very hard to make a 1-dimensional thug fun
>>
>>62441656
>>62441728
I don't even think it would have to be a magic weapon. It could just be a ceremonial sword that's just valuable because it's well crafted and made out of gold, and is otherwise a prized heirloom.
>>
Monk. EVERY single one I've seen is "I GET DRUNK AND PUNCH THINGS" or "I am a pacifist, and will hinder the party killing things whenever I get the chance."
>>
>>62441737
Just once I want a good warlock. Like a weak guy who made a deal with a higher power to gain strength to fight evil. And not be some edgelord
>>
>>62441744
The only problem will be how much your DM enforces having a free hand for spells, since otherwise you'll have to be sheathing your sword to cast things. Otherwise it's solid, and would improve your survivability with it and second wind.
>>
>>62441742
What, you just play a level 15 fighter with leather armor and a steel sword?
>>
>>62441815
I feel like those are just sort of the two player archetypes in general. I usually enjoy the first, and ignore the second.
>>
>>62441794
You know what would make it fun?

A barbarian archetype that gives you more damage. That would totally help encourage playstyles other than 'ME SMASH HARDER'
>>
>>62441853
Real men don't need to rely on an item that could be stolen from them at any point.

Seriously, how do adventurers even manage to not have their shit stolen?
>>
>>62441794
Do you have any better ideas for non typical barbs?
>>
>>62441695
So he's doing around getting people to sell him their souls? Either he does it as a prank or he's a warlock collecting souls on his patron's behalf.
>>
>>62441859
and you know, the first wouldn't be so bad if the people who generally play them understand there's a line between being drunk and fighting and being like, comic relief levels of drunk. It's fucking annoying.

Inb4 "it's a game of fun, don't be such a stick in the mud" or some version of that.
>>
>>62441924
He is doing it as an attempt to take over his father's (Archdevil) business down the line. He is a sorcerer.
>>
>>62441853
Nah, my problem is
>so my character has this super cool sword that's super special and bla bla bla, now give it to me because i said my character has it
DM giving you a cool magic weapons is obviously fine but doing shit like that is gay af. The dude literally created a quest to give himself a cool magic item, fuck that. Unless if it was the DM that asked him to make a quest and a magic item for himself, them that's fine.
>>
>>62441886
If you walked up on Dwayne the Rock Johnson, The Mountain, and Elon Musk with lightning coming out of his fingers, would you try to take their wallets?
>>
>>62441831
No one does anything fun with Warlocks, just edgy shit. A character I wanted to play was a Warlock has doesn't want his pack anymore but for that to happen he needs to find a way to break it or work his hardest for his Patron until they release him from service.
Never played with a warlock who has ever done anything remotely like that, they all just play it like an edge lord.
>>
File: guard_by_wlop-d9kmnxu.jpg (275 KB, 1600x894)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>62441831
I have something like that, tiefling warlock, story is magic is in his blood, but he has no control over it and can barely use it all, but he wishes to be a knight even if only in name and to help people because of all the stories of knights he's heard

But this witch in the swamp takes him in, teaches him for a few years, and before he leaves she makes a deal with him to which he agrees, so she takes him to a fey in the forest to make a contract. The contract being the witch of the swamp will act as a catalyst to stabilize his magic (cantrips) or borrow the witches magic for more powerful spells, but every time he uses her magic he trades just a little of his own life force to the witch to extend her life

To which he agrees, afterwards my tiefling warlock then sets out as the self titled Knight of Lavender (cause he has purple skin and the witch loves flowers) and to do his best to live up to the knights of the stories he's heard and read about, except for Don Quixote, he doesn't wanna be like him
>>
>>62441890
Native American / aztec sort of warrior, wise tribe chieftain sort, if you can afford to get any wisdom or charisma at all.
That's not incredibly unusual, but it doesn't have to be unusual, just not incredibly typical.

Circus Strongman, who is more of a performer than 'ME SMASH' though still has some smash in him.

You can do a dex barbarian well with ancestral guardians. You'd have to think about how that flavour works, though.
>>
>>62441957
Considering that adventurers are dumb as fucking rocks and leave themselves open for pickpocketing all the time here or there,
considering that you might be an urchin with absolutely nothing to your name and stealing even one magic item could earn you a lifetime of luxury,
Considering that they might just let it slide because they're 'good guys',

Fucking heck yes.
>>
>>62441978
How many times do you think the guy who painted this has masturbated to it?
>>
>>62441952
Yeah true. I guess if I was the DM I would make it a long term side quest. Or maybe a sword that levels up along side him. But definitely no special sword from the beginning. Agreed.
>>
>>62442005
Once during the sketch phase. Once it's done I can't fap no more.
>>
>>62441966
What about totally changing a warlocks story. Instead of the patron being a demon, your pc is a child and his powerful wizard ancestor is granting him power to aid him on his quest? I guess you could do the same story for any magic user.
>>
>>62442071
That's just a sorcerer.
>Except sorcerers are warlocks anyway
>>
>>62442071
That's LITERALLY a sorcerer.
>>
>>62441952
Guy here who brought up the rose gold sword

I mean we're only 5, but it kinda ties into my backstory so when I brought it up to my DM I said something along the lines of "Hey so I was just thinking, you mentioned all our characters are gonna get little quest at some point in the future so I was just doing some thinking and I thought this might be a idea for whenever you wanna implement it. I feel like level 9 or 10 might be a good level range for it or whenever you feel it's appropriate"

and we did talk some more but he felt rose gold was a stupid idea, but I'll most likely talk to him about it later, but it wasn't like I dropped into my DM's DM's and demanded this sword to be given to me cause I wanted it. Just thought I might help my DM with some of the work load since he mentioned he was planning on giving us all side quest unique to our characters so I went and had an idea then put it forward to the DM to get his thoughts and opinions on it
>>
>>62442093
Good thing warlocks and sorcerers have massive fluff overlap, huh
>>
>>62442071
Now that's good, I love the ideas that come with Warlock but no one want to do that legwork for their character because the first session so they just take the easy way out of edgy magic guy.
>>
>>62442103
Probably shouldn't've started throwing ideas for what the DM should do
The DM does what the DM does
>>
>>62442088
>>62442093
The line is pretty blurred to begin with. The fluff for draconic Sorcerer literally outlines a sorcerer joining a draconic lineage through a pact.
>>
>>62442088
Spitballing here, child pc, finds a magical book in a library and he finds that the writing talks to him (think Tom riddles diary) and he finds that if he speaks what the book tells him to he can cast spells? That could get edgy I guess but just an idea
>>
>>62442143
Eh, that sounds pretty interesting, actually, as well as the fact it has a fair bit of mystery behind it. I'd go for it, but having the PC be an actual child sounds annoying. Should be older.
>>
File: 1428879511474.gif (1.2 MB, 300x169)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB GIF
>>62442005
>Get a response
>Get excited to talk about my warlock
>How many times do you think the guy who painted this has masturbated to it?
I don't know, a couple times a guess, not at all?
>>
>>62442134
Just thought it would help the DM if I gave him an outline of something connected to my backstory or something my character would be motivated to do when it came to a sidequest related to my character
>>
>>62441831
I played that as a half-drow celestial warlock that instigated a slave rebellion and escaped the underdark; he travels around spreading joy and beauty (and freeing slaves and unjust captives) for eilistraee's favour, and generally being a jokey optimist
>>
>>62442178
Yeah I was thinking the young pc could take some of the edge off. Like a cheerful Boy Scout casting eldritch blasts and black tendrils.
>>
>>62438402
Is it even possible to go down the street in D&D and do something to somebody standing somewhere omnious without them turning out to be some overpowered piece of shit that fucks you up?
>>
What's a fun tank class to play?
>>
File: aaaaaaaaa.gif (921 KB, 342x239)
921 KB
921 KB GIF
>>62441978
>doesn't want to be like Don Quixote
>>
File: 1468881468715.jpg (997 KB, 5079x2953)
997 KB
997 KB JPG
>>62441831
Would a church scholar who uncovered certain illicit artifacts and mistook them as holy relics (because he won't accept the eldritch truth) count as a good Warlock?
>>
>>62442211
Leopard 2
>>
>>62442234
Lol that would be pretty funny. He thinks he’s a Cleric and he’s actually going around spreading some demons influence? I’d play it.
>>
>>62441409
Thinking of going eledarin feylock pact of chain since we already have a wizard in the party, my previous character died starting at level 5 what invocations have you people had fun with?
>>
>>62442239
Wehraboos please go
>>
>>62442211
Anything with actual tank (or otherwise 'keep the enemies away from the allies or otherwise taking damage for teammates) abilities

Cavalier Fighter
Ancestral Guardians Barbarian
Barbarogue
Monk (Open hand)
Warlock (Repelling+Slowing blast)
Crown Paladin
>>
>>62442266
Barbarogue? How does that work?
>>
File: 1365277278382.png (376 KB, 2315x2315)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>62442233
Whaaaaaat, my self proclaimed knight of a tiefling warlock is NOTHING like Don Quixote, he would never duel a windmill to the death believing it to be a giant monster

Though I suppose he may borrow a characteristic or two
>>
>>62442280
Your utmost basic build would be barbarian 5 / rogue X, strength focus, use dual shortswords and attack with strength, but apply sneak attack. Throw away a sword when you need to grapple.

The tanking capability is in the fact that you're a really good grappler, even moreso than a valor bard.
>>
File: 1529832574767.jpg (801 KB, 1280x1387)
801 KB
801 KB JPG
>>62442247
The way I did it was he was a member of a church organization that searches for and secures things people shouldn't have (talisman of ultimate evil, for example). He was sent to a desert town to investigate strange happenings to find that a meteor, that the desert tribes sought out worshipped for their incredible visibility at night, was in fact an egg yielded hundreds of pitch black slugs which had slipped into the sands. Contacted by the GOO upon touching the egg, he became convinced it was an angel of some sort, as no evil presence could have a voice so warm and calming. He fashioned a bit of the meteorite into a giant club, and began silent reverence of these "angels."
>>
Does anyone else have fun ‘non typical’ class ideas?
>>
>>62442134
yeah they're the players bitch and have to build a world around their antics

as far as dumb gold sword guy goes, just convince the other players to follow your quest and force the dm to make it happen
>>
>>62442004
>adventurers are dumb as fucking rocks and leave themselves open for pickpocketing all the time
maybe in your experience ? I don't think I've ever seen a party that wouldn't notice being pickpocketed; at least one member usually has insane perception
>>
>>62442390
Yah I'm totally not gonna do that though
>>
>>62442024
>sword that levels up along side him
ugh cancer
>>
>>62442211
moon druid
>>
>>62442374
wizard with warlock dip masotank,
dex hand crossbow ancestral guardians barbarian,
The classic 8 int wizard,
Druid that actually kind of hates animals,
Wis-based rogue (obtain magic stone, use sling) with perception expertise
>>
>>62442421
No good?
>>
>>62442433
How does the magic stone come into play? Does it return to him like a boomerang?
>>
>>62442403
People often easily have perception, but you don't get pickpocketed when nothing is happening.

Players go to shoddy inns, throw weapons around and only pick them up after a fight or even drop weapons to pick up next turn, they'll obey someone telling them to just leave their stuff somewhere before coming in for a chat, they'll hoard so much stuff that they can't possibly be holding onto it all at once, they'll split up so they're alone each going their own way in town, and not each one of them has massive passive perception...

For sure, one of your party members is going to fall into one of the many, many times they could have their shit stolen from them.
>>
>>62442479
It's a spell
>>
Do you gain the benefits of the defensive fighting style while wearing no armor but a shield? Shields count as armor, right?
>>
>>62442492
They do not. That is why the Monk's martial arts bring up armor and a shield separately.
>>
>>62442491
Damn what a cool idea. What’s the best idea to get magic stone? Take a feat?
>>
>>62442502
Ok just looked at sage advice (which I should have done in the first place) and you are right.
>>
>>62442523
Actually, if you're playing a rogue with terrible stats, having an ally druid with high wis would actually be pretty great.

Probably a feat though, grab guidance as well.
>>
>>62442539
Why’s that?
>>
File: DnD Binder setup.jpg (648 KB, 2160x2160)
648 KB
648 KB JPG
I already brought it up last thread, but generally this is my setup when sitting at the game table

My colored dividers are all for previous characters and the one character I'm currently playing. Should I take out all my unused characters and use the colored dividers to better organize note taking by having one divider be people, another be places, one be quest and so forth?

I just like having my old character sheets in there cause I like to think back on old games, but I could probably put those somewhere else honestly
>>
>>62442557
Because you use the druid's wisdom modifier for your attack and damage.
>>
>>62442257
mask of many faces is ridiculously useful, agonizing blast and repelling blast are no-brainers, and chain pacts have access to gift of the ever-living ones which is always good, and chains of carceri which is great if you know you'll be fighting a lot of the relevant creature types
>>
>>62442625
I think I’m missing something. How would one character use another characters attack mod?
>>
>>62442374
what exactly do you mean? maybe
>>
>>62442656
Non typical story wise. A few previous ones in the thread would be like a child who picks up a book Tom Riddle style and doesn’t even realize he’s casting warlock spells. A priest who mistakes a demons unholy items for holy items of his god and gains warlock powers(but he thinks he’s a Cleric)
>>
>>62442647
Magic Stone XGE
Transmutation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

You touch one to three pebbles and imbue them with magic. You or someone else can make a ranged spell attack with one of the pebbles by throwing it or hurling it with a sling. If thrown, a pebble has a range of 60 feet. If someone else attacks with a pebble, that attacker adds your spellcasting ability modifier, not the attacker's, to the attack roll. On a hit, the target takes bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Whether the attack hits or misses, the spell then ends on the stone.

If you cast this spell again, the spell ends on any pebbles still affected by your previous casting.
Classes: Druid, Warlock
Source: XGE, page 160. Also found in EEPC, page 20.
>>
>>62442585
Very nice.
>>
>>62442647
using a spell from a class's spell list requires casting it using that class's spellcasting ability. Wisdom for Clerics and Druids, Charisma for Bards, Sorcerer's and Warlocks, Intelligence for Wizards.
>>
>>62442700
My bad, the resource I used didn’t include the “or someone else” if you were a DM, would you allow them to be imbued with magic at the start of the day and be carried around until needed? Or would it have to be a imbue, hand off to rogue, rogue shoots situation?
>>
>>62442585
yeah the dividers would be put to way better use helping you organise your notes and other crap, having your old sheets is nice but seems wasteful
>>
>>62442740
A druid can probably handle the bonus action stuff and you can always throw daggers or something until you get your stones, but
It would be fairer to let them have the stones imbued at the start of the day. It's already a pretty niche spell except maybe for arming a group of peasants with to fight against non-magic resistant enemies at a low level.
>>
>>62442767
I almost wonder if that would get out of hand. What’s to stop the Druid from casting it 100 times out of combat and the rogue just gets super powered rocks all the time? Almost takes the drawback of needing to cast it in combat out of the situation. At that point just let the rogue have his magic stones and don’t waste time having the Druid say every day “I imbue 100 stones with magic”
>>
>>62442804
>I almost wonder if that would get out of hand. What’s to stop the Druid from casting it 100 times out of combat and the rogue just gets super powered rocks all the time?
The part that says
>If you cast this spell again, the spell ends on any pebbles still affected by your previous casting.
>>
>>62442828
This is why I play barbarians
>>
How often/how does the Trove get updated? Is there another source for some of the newer books?
>>
What could a sorcerer do if they don't need a focus or pouch to cast spells?
>>
>>62442266
You missed PAM/Sentinel Tunnel Master
>>
>>62443262
Very few DMs allow Tunnel Master, though.
>>
What things that the DM says scare you in a meta sense?
For me it's "Yeah I skimmed through the moduel, I pretty much know it"
>>
File: 1510882617510.png (323 KB, 2518x1024)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
>>62443319

I wish the rest of the fighting styles were like it, something that actually makes a huge difference in how your fighter plays instead of just being +1 AC or some shit.
>>
>>62441831
My first concept for a Warlock was a guy who wanted to study magic hard enough that he got upset about his fairly short human lifespan, so went looking for ways to prolong his life - obviously that involves liches, made a deal with Raven Queen for info on liches without realizing that bitch hates unnatural life spans so he's basically fucking himself by taking the easy road. Tomelock, had planned to multi-class Lore Mastery Wizard for 2 levels since lore fit the concept, and take just every possible feat/invocation that gave more spell related books.

Then I figured Lore Mastery Wizard is bullshit even if you're only there for 2 levels, and UA in general wasn't something I needed to shove into a game where every other player is new so that guy's shelved. Chronicle of the Raven Queen also seemed like it'd enable murder hobo-ing way too hard for the other group members.
>>
>Not harvesting the parts of powerful/unique monsters
Are you even real adventurers without a greatsword made from Dragon horn or armor made from Hippogriffs
>>
>>62442071
I had an idea i have never used but I considered if i ever have an opportunity to play a warforged, to play a Hexblade Warforged whose patron is the wizard that made him, imparting his powers unto him.
>>
File: 1325916962530.png (22 KB, 500x500)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
Thoughts on Conquest Paladins?

I'm not sure if they're edgy enough for me, tempted to go Hexblade instead.
>>
So I’m going to join this D&D club at Uni, and want to play a caster. If MC is available I’ll go Cleric 1/ Wizard 19 because I want that healing word. If not, then I don’t know because Divine Soul Sorceror seems kind of babd because they have so few spells known. Don’t really want Bard or Cleric because they miss out on spells like counterspell, haste, fireball etc
>What do?
>>
Are spell cards worth buying?
>>
>>62443559
Just go cleric and focus on spell casting
>>
File: untitled-2.jpg (612 KB, 800x600)
612 KB
612 KB JPG
>>62441966
>Tfw made a Joshua Graham style character
>A pious man burned and left for dead for meddling in a crime organization's business
>Made a deal to survive with an entity seeking missing parts of it (Hexblade)
>Tries to make the best of his second chance helping those in need
>Always stays cheery and positive no matter how bad things get
>Ultimately plans to topple organization to keep them from hurting others
The only thing I worry about is how much my DM likes warlocks and what type of rabbit hole I'm going to go down with the patron.
>>
>>62443581
maybe if you play a lot in person with people who play casters and don't fill out their spell sheets or use 5etools
>>
>>62443546
>Giving 100% license to douse the flame of hope
>Not edgy enough
What are you some kind of slack jawed faggot? It's giving you full reign to torture people and do absolutely whatever you want to keep to your oath.
>>
>>62443581
Absolutely not. Most players will never have to keep track of more than 24 spells, about half of which will be simple enough that they don't need to be referenced frequently. It takes about two minutes to write down the rest, or at least the important bits.
Plus the spell cards I'm familiar with abridge some of the longer winded spells, or even cut off and say "See PHB pg XYZ."

It's so easy to keep track of spells for free with either online help or just plain pencil and paper, there's just no real reason to waste your money.
>>
>>62443600
There spell list isn’t that appealing to me. I might just go Wizard with Magic Initiate:Cleric for Spare the Dying, and Healing Word once a day.
Other option I’m sincerely looking at is Divine Soul Sorceror for that Twinned Haste and heals...but I’m not too sold on it.
>>
>>62441409
Bard. Because of the sorts of people who play bards.
>>
>People mention wanting to see not edgy warlocks
>Mention mine and give the breakdown of what mine is all about
>Ignored
I do admit though I had a little attention whore deep inside me during that moment
>>
>>62443406
That would be interesting, though the martial classes that don't get styles would suffer in comparison if all of them were that powerful. As it stands, one option that allows constant OAs is pretty ridiculous, especially when paired with PAM/Sent. A properly-made halberdier can already exert a lot of control over the area in his reach - turning his reach into an infinite rooting OA zone just seems excessive.
>>
A character in our party is kind of a contrarian and it's getting difficult to deal with. At first we all thought the conflict he brought to the table was interesting (he is a member of a faction we have a strictly professional relationship with, otherwise dislike) and the player is a great rp'er, but it's become so tiresome to have every action the rest of us do have a counteraction come from someone who is supposed to be one of our own.

Last session after about 4 sessions of this going on, when this PC tried to do something we obviously didn't want to happen, I called him on his shit and said it's a numbers game mate, do you wanna take us all on? The situation got diffused so it didn't come to blows, but I so badly wanna kick this PC to the curb. The rest of the party kinda flip flops about should we or shouldn't we tolerate him and I think they're worried about taking things to aggressive (entering PVP territory), but as time goes on, it gets less and less believable we'd keep someone as threatening, pompous, and obstructive as him around.
>>
File: 1479387641851.gif (1.97 MB, 215x320)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB GIF
>"Don't worry guys, I skimmed through the book and pretty much know all the important bits"
>>
>>62443803
I was typing up a reply to your post, but now I'm not going to post it.
>>
>>62439411
That's the number I was thinking of for non-battle master fighters; that combined with a lack of scaling gives fighters more options while keeping BM's niche.
Really, I'm just trying to expand the list so that they've got more to choose from.
>Target saves vs being unable to attack until the end of its next turn
>Or move
>Or actively use a class feature/monster trait
>Or use a reaction/bonus action/environmental action
>Target can't benefit from cover or advantage until the end of its next turn
>Target takes damage for every square it moves until it takes an action to succeed on a medicine check
>You steal an object not being worn or wielded by the target (e.g. gold from their backpack)
>You cause morbid fascination, the target is charmed and can't move away from you (like a reverse fear effect)
>Target can't speak until it takes an action to succeed on a medicine check
>Target can't hold its breath or use a breath weapon (they can still breathe) until it makes the same check
>Can swap places with target
>>62440495
I can work with some of these. Can you post the whole thing?
>>
>>62443884
No! Please I'm sorry!
>>
>>62443803
>>62443917
Shut up Daniel
>>
File: ch_kk_06ex_c.png (11 KB, 192x211)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Rolled 2 + 3 (1d20 + 3)

>>62443884
Rolling insight cause I don't trust you
>>
>>62443948
Seems legit
>>
>>62443948
He seems like he's telling the truth.
>>
File: 1330052073904.gif (394 KB, 500x281)
394 KB
394 KB GIF
>>62443948
I'm sorry for not trusting you, can you please finish?
>>
Speaking of Hexblades, what are some decent feats to take as one? Does it change if you plan to be in melee instead of just being a better turret?
>>
>>62443976
Not allowed. Instead, you must now repent according to the ideals of your deity of choice.
>>
>>62444045
War Caster or elven accuracy if a elf or resilient.
>>
File: 1359667473562.jpg (100 KB, 800x800)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>62444107
I choose Ecaflip
>>
>player asks to play a paladin of jehova
>the judeo christian god doesn't exist in this setting
>player insists he exists everywhere
This is Adventure League in the Bible Belt.
>>
File: Ecaflip3.jpg (186 KB, 836x600)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>62444123
Then you need to take a cold bath. Get to it, anon.
>>
>>62441470
Paladin [when you're playing it]
>>
>>62444133
Tell him to just go Devotion and have any NPC he meets be baffled about what he's talking about.
>>
File: lev24.jpg (35 KB, 629x340)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>62444133
Stone him for uttering the name of our Lord.
>>
File: ae8.png (161 KB, 500x450)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>62444151
Simple enough
>>
>>62444197
Women are not allowed to attend stonings!
>>
>>62444231
I don't see what Eva is complaining about the Sadida have top tier hips
>>
>>62444361
They're looking at the ground behind her it looks like
>>
Anyone here got any advice for someone about to release their first DMs Guild material? I've yet to format it properly, but the product is more or less finished and roughly playtested.
>>
>>62444478
Be prepared to be called a no talent faggot who can't homebrew.
>>
File: 1460918452354.png (91 KB, 408x327)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>DM decides to wrap up our 3.5 campaign as he wants to move on to 5th ed
>Sure whatever I've been interesting in trying it and seeing how it differs from 3.5
>Go on a month long hiatus
>Go ahead and download the PDF's for the PHB and DMG just to see the variant rules etc etc
>Game day starts
>group is Sorcerer (me) Bard, Warlock and Fighter
>Play for about 2 months or so
>DM is getting rules wrong here and there or just using 3.5 games
>Don't say anything so as to not interrupt
>Session wraps up and people pack their stuff
>Confront the DM
>"Hey man I don't wanna be rude when saying this but when we were playing today I noticed you got some rules wrong, are you familiar with all the rules yet, are you using homebrew? Just curious cause I got confused at some points during todays game, but I didn't wanna raise a stink while playing and interrupt"
>DM explains that he thinks some of the 5e rules don't make sense so he just and waves them or uses the 3.5 version
>Tell the DM that if he wants to do that it would really help if he explained before or after a session what homebrew he's introducing if it effects how we play or what 3.5 rules he's using so it help with the fluidity of gameplay
>DM never explains what rules he's changing on the fly which leads to players trying to do the 5th ed thing but being corrected by the DM since the player doesn't know what rule to use
Like, I don't mind homebrew or changing the rules cause I bring homebrew classes to the DM with an interest in playing them or using different rules if it helps with the gameplay and make it a smooth experience, I just wish the DM would communicate with us players so we're all on the same page. I try to be respectful to never interrupt the DM during gameplay and only confront him one on one after a game to try and clear any confusion I have, which is here and there
>>
File: p a n i c.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
If I wanted to include more spells that deal acid/lightning/poison/etc. damage types into the game, would the better way be to allow certain spells to have their damage type changed or to create spells based on the DMGs entry on spell creation (using already existing spells as a guide?)

The former takes very little time on my end, but might be used for some shenanigans by players and could screw with game balance (8d6 lightning "fireball" to avoid the common fire resistance/immunity)
The latter takes a lot more time on my end and ends up bloating the game more with additions of dozens of spells.

Which is preferred by both DMs and players?
>>
>>62441409
Least is Ranger. I don't much care for their theme, their limited ability to preform in any combat sphere and yeah. After my first months playing 5e through the lense of AL Rangers where exclusively a class you took or dipped to achieve skyrim level stealth bullshit
>I sneak attack with my longbow
>I roll to hide
>End Turn

Beyond that I'm not a fan of fighters, wizards or sorcs. The former is just boring and the latter is too weedy spellcaster fag for me. Strange considering I enjoy land and spore druids, and certain flavors of warlock
>>
>>62444532
The former on a case-by-case. You are under no obligation to approve things you know will be abused. You can also allow players to learn other versions of these spells- but continue to apply casting rules. That is to say your wizard must prepare Fireball OR lighting fireball OR both.
>>
>>62444532
I do the former as long as it makes sense. For instance, the pyromancer sorc. I let a player copy it except for cold damage and refluff spells into cold damage. I dont mind him doing 8d6 "arctic blasts" instead of fire balls
>>
File: BMWC3.gif (35 KB, 133x140)
35 KB
35 KB GIF
>>62441470
Brewmaster.
>>
>>62444512
I am very much used to hearing this in the mirror everyday so I should be fine.
>>
File: cheers.png (485 KB, 536x429)
485 KB
485 KB PNG
>>62444525
Really explain to him that he needs to either write out the rules he wants to use or explain to everyone that rules may be different than what they actually are in the books.
If everyone understands that a specific roll might be something different than what they expect, they wont feel cheated when the GM asks for a different roll for something or otherwise uses rules for things that don't normally exist in 5e.

You did the right thing though by not rules lawyer him in the middle of the session and waiting until after it was over.
Really, just get rid of the confusion everyone may be experiencing and the campaign should run fine.
The DM just needs to realize everyone isn't on the same page as him.

I personally use a lot of homebrew rules (Everyone can use spell scrolls, diving into water, etc.) but I have them put on a wiki for everyone to read and I explain which ones I use.
>>
File: Happelf.png (109 KB, 262x202)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
>>62444606
>>62444628
Alright, sounds good!
I wasn't sure if allowing elemental changes would be really that huge of a deal for balance or not, as I try to keep my homebrew rules to a minimum in hopes I don't absolutely fuck everything up.

I had a couple players asking about a campaign where they all play wizards who are different schools and cast different elemental types, hence the question.
>>
My buddy is looking for a homebrew that to me sounds like a Paladin but instead of Divine magic he used Arcane magic. Anybody know of something like that?
>>
File: 1517049684397.jpg (87 KB, 736x1259)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>62443546
Conquest paladins are the sickest shit when they get rolling. Shield master, a sword and wrathful smite terrorising fools left and right. Nothing is as pleasing as watching your GM wince when his fuckbox of goons fail their saves and cringe in abject dread. There is only one problem.

Investment. Your class is half-baked until level 8 or so when you actually get your passive paladin fear aura. In addition to this you need every point of Charisma you can get your hands on, because 5e is spiky at times and so you absolutely want your spell DC as close to 20 as you can get. In AL conq paladins are forever clamouring to get run through places like the amber temple- or modules that can drop powerful Ability boosters. Because the sooner you hit 24 cha the better you'll be

So in summery. Fun subclass, fantastic theme. Just an expensive one to choose and your effectiveness is reduced significantly if your DM gets shitty about Frightened. Use Guided Strike until your spell dc is higher and remember. Spell slots are for Wrathful Smite first, Divine smite second and other paladin spells a distant last. Most of the time laying a smite will serve better then spiritual weapon or whatnot
>>
>>62444766
Can't you just pick paladin and change shit? It should be easier than looking for a homebrew.
>>
>>62444752
It usually isnt too much of an issue. I think it is psychic damage or force damage that you really want to avoid. But elemental is usually okay.
>>
>>62444672
I really don't mind homebrew or custom rules but yah like you mentioned there have been a few times here and there, not to often, where a player rolls something and the DM ask them to reroll, but use (insert rule or bonus here) amongst other things, nothing to major and hasn't caused any major stops in gameplay, it just catches us off guard cause we all read the PHB to try and make for a smooth transition from 3.5 but weren't expecting 3.5 rules to make comeback

But yah like you suggested, before our next session I'll message my DM or something and ask if it'll be possible to get a sheet or some kinda group message with all his homebrew rules or 3.5 rules he wants to use etc etc so we all better understand
>>
>>62444786
I was thinking just give him Eldritch Knight fighter but let him use a Spellbook like a wizard
>>
>>62444796
I'd be ok with allowing players to take the less resisted damage types for a meta-cost. Something like adding a material value cost (say, powdered mind flayer brains worth X gold to make psi-ball) or just replicating the spell at the next level. If fireball is a third level spell, psychic fireball is a 4th
>>
>>62444849
Let me rephrase. Psychic damage should only happen on save spells. wisdom or int. Your peeps wanna start making mindfucker spells those all ought to rely on some manner of save
>>
>>62441831
I nearly played a warlock but my friends always tease dming but never do so I dm everything. Was going to be a farmer that has a family but his daughter is killed. He wanders the woods during his grief and comes apon a powerful Satyr. The Satyr grants him strength to seek revenge but requires payment in the form of stories. So the farmer becomes a fey warlock with a bunch of skills like reading anything and having a pixie companion to write shit down and he "prays" every night, muttering events into a magical acorn.
>>
File: 1497659267317.gif (1.43 MB, 400x224)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB GIF
Let's say a player comes up to you with a Barbarian that wants to use a dagger. The character has no other weapons or spells or anything, just the 1d4 dagger. Let's say the backstory includes the dagger they start with, describing it nothing more than "shiny and silvery." Your campaign is starting at a low level (1-3~). Do you give them an accommodation of any sort, like making the dagger magical, or do you just say "okay, you do that," and they continue through the campaign doing 1d4+Strength+Rage damage per attack until they pick up a greataxe like every other Barb?

I kinda asked because my DM laughed about me preferring my dagger over my maul even though I just used it to break open a wall.
>>
File: Pharma.png (277 KB, 486x822)
277 KB
277 KB PNG
I am thinking about running a support/utility celestial warlock. How should I go about doing this?

My warlock just recently turned level 2. The party has 6 characters and damage isn't a problem. I was going to stick with sacred flame as my only damage cantrip. How should I build this? I think I will go tome for all the utility rituals and cantrips. Which cantrips/invocations/spells should I be looking at? So far I am using healing elixer and cure as my spells and was thinking of adding guiding bolt as my second level option.
>>
>>62445015
Is the dagger special in their backstory besides just being "a shiny dagger"? If they are willing to put in the legwork for this thing, I'd probably put in some story beats where the Barb has side vision quests or some shit where he "awakens" the spirit of the blade, leveling it up or unlocking new abilities for it. If the barb player never tries though, I don't see why I should.
>>
>>62445015
If the barbarian wants to stab things with a dagger he has to deal with the 1d4

Now, I definitely will give out magical items to characters who intentionally grab shitty weapons.
>>
>>62445015
I let people do bad builds, but I warn them that doing a bad build, especially one that is M.A.D will come at the expense of a lot of opportunity to do awesome stuff in combat.

Like the blood hunter class for instance, a friend wanted to do it and was like "oh thats why you warned me" when he died in the 2nd combat of the session.
>>
>>62445026
Don't worry about in-combat healing, get Faerie Fire then use Repelling Blast to keep targets within the AOE of it

Get Hex for big boss characters

Only use your celestial healing pool outside of combat unless someone is making death saves to auto-stabilize them
>>
>>62445303
Or better yet have your barbarian (and monk if you have one) dedicate to helping you keep enemies within your faerie fire.
>>
>>62445015
I'm playing a monk right now and i could've picked any weapon, my character actually has a shortsword with him, but i still punch and kick bitches because i think it's cooler so do whatever the fuck you want, it's your character, of course it's not the same since in my case the damage will naturally go up but if your DM is not a fucker he'll give you a magic dagger at some point.
>>
>>62441831
My Warlock drugs himself on the positive energy of his celestial patron in order to not feel like shit after enduring the scarring experiences of war. He uses his powers to help others through a sense of desperation to regain a sense of self-worth.
D-does that count as a good warlock or an edgy one?

>>62441409
I absolutely loathe the finnicky mechanics of rage. Spend a round dashing to an enemy without anyone hitting you? Well shit, guess you're not angry anymore, shouldn't have charged towards your enemy like that.
>>
>>62445015
Refluff the knife as a battleaxe or something
>>
>>62445544
>its a Storm giant's knife so its functionally a greatsword
>>
>>62445015
Make his dagger an actual KNIFE and let him pick slashing or piercing damage, and make it +1.
>>
>>62441409
Monk. Boring, 1-dimentional, not fun to play due to ki point tracking, most subclasses are shit mechanically even if they are nice conceptually. It also kind of kills unarmed combat for the rest of the game, since no other class can use it with even close to the same effectivness.

I was going to go fighter because it's boring, but at least it provides some nice dip fuel for half of all characters.
>>
>>62441409
Probably Warlock. It's just Eldritch Blast spam for the first half a dozen levels. I still like it, but I find it a bit boring besides the built in RP potential.
>>
>>62442585
Better organized than most of my players, nice job.
>>
>>62442585
Vacuum your floor.
>>
>Can't find a single group on roll20 that isn't insufferable
>DM for my friends only because nobody else can, pretend I do it because I like DMing
Guys, I just want to play D&D with some friends in-person. How the everloving fuck do I do that?
>>
>>62446278
Yell at your friends until one of them agrees to DM
>>
File: 2405069788_442af2de73.jpg (44 KB, 314x333)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
I'm kind of an eternal DM, but the time when I played Warlock it was a Pact of the Undying Skeleton. He was raised by an old wizard along with other skelly servants to serve him, but they all befriended the old man. When he died, the character was so devastated that he searched for a way to bring his old master back from the dead. But since he cannot be a Cleric (because he's undead) nor a Wizard (because he literally doesn't have the brains for it), the character made a pact with an eldritch being to gain power so that one day he could bring his old friend back.

He was a chaotic good character with a knack for cooking in his spare time. I took Mask of Many Faces to hide myself from pesky paladins and summoned an Imp called Glod from Pact of the Familiar that acted as the party's scout. I built him mostly as an utility caster since our party didn't had many spellcasters.

It sounds silly and meme on paper, but I tried going something like Tim Burton with this character - a bit of light hearted dark comedy with a lot of characters as my backstory. So far it's one of my favorite characters and my table loved it as well. You can do good Warlocks without going edgy.
>>
>>62441409
Bard because it's often played by perma virgins who self insert into a womanizer and hit on NPCs which makes everyone u comfortable but himself because he has an IRL CHA of 2 and auto fails insight checks.
>>
>orcpub thinks my rogue in leather armor and +3 dex has an AC of 16
what the fuck
>>
>>62446326
Orcpub has... issues calculating AC. Go ahead and plug in a Lizardman Barbarian, it's hilarious.
>>
>>62446182
It's my parents place, I'm just visiting while on vacation so I could vacuum once but after i leave that floor is all on its own
>>
File: SKT.jpg (337 KB, 975x696)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
Going to be playing Storm King's Thunder soon, what can I expect? Based on what my DM has already done for Curse of Strahd, it's easy to assume he'll change some stuff around.
>>
>>62446420
Giants and giants and a dragon or two.
>>
>>62446326
I took out the leather armor and it kept me at 16
Then I put on studded leather and it thought I was at 17
I'm just a Vuman I don't have any special AC things what the fuck
>>
>>62446440
Oh interesting I added a Shield and it kept me at 17, then subtracted the Shield and went to 15
>>
File: 105 - 5i7LY8T.jpg (25 KB, 314x246)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>playing AL at a convention because I want to get out of the house more
>New player pulls up to the table 10 minutes in asking if he's too late
>"nah sure dude it's all good let me catch you up"
>Look at his character sheet to see what he brought
>9 AC Regular Human Fighter
>mfw I wind up ignoring all RP for 20 minutes straight while I pull out The Book and teach him how to make an armorless unarmed combatant aka A Monk
>>
So our group resolved this in the moment but I was curious what /tg/ thinks about this situation.

My Oath of the Ancients paladin used turn the faithless against a mass of fey that were being compelled or controlled by some magic object that only works on fey. Would you allow the turn attempt to work and force them to run if they failed their saves?

What the DM decided is that they would do nothing; not approaching or attacking for the duration of the turning.

I ask because I can't really find any information on using a turn effect on someone who is enchanted/charmed/compelled and wanted to know if there was a rule for that, or anything similar.
>>
>>62446602
>The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don’t combine, however. Instead, the most potent effect—such as the highest bonus—from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
From the SRD, so in this scenario it'd be DM interpretation of which is stronger between the magic item's influence and the player's turning. If the magic item was being used by a creature I'd maybe do something like a contest, but how your DM went is completely within reason as well.
>>
Do civilizations in your game trend toward collectivism or individualism?
>>
>>62446658
The specific situation is that a corrupted ent had the necklace that was letting him control the fey on him, and the effects slowly faded when we removed it. I don't know how powerful the item is but I have a feeling he wanted my action to at least have some effect. The item is a fragment of an item which is one of 3 parts of another item created by the fey ruler of the winter court or something.

Thanks for the clarification and I'll bring up the idea of contested rolls to him in case something similar comes up again.
>>
>>62446736
No problem, most important is just that it makes some sort of sense and the table's cool with it. Seems like you guys hit that just fine, aiming for extreme adherence to the rules can make for frustrating situations like if your Turning effect just did literally nothing, or make a joke of what should be a tense situation by turning all the fey by lucky rolls and letting your party effortlessly waltz up and slam the ent.

That also took a bit to look up since I'm not a rules wizard, so making shit up on the fly would also be preferable just in the interest of speed.
>>
>sorcerer got magic from weird experiments done by crazy dragon to try and make weird pseudo-dragonborn
>bio states that the rituals used were knowledge forbidden even to the dragons, and fuck up your soul more than your body
>show this in-game by giving the sorc necromancy and occasional nightmares
>sorc has a near-death experience literally in the first session
>at the same time, at the end of the session the DM leveled us all up to 5
>gave sorc a grim reaper themed, level 3 version of Spiritual Weapon
>gave sorc a frankenstein themed refluffed version of Animate Dead
>gave sorc a spell that basically weaponizes tiny pieces of your soul
>I justified it by writing what the sorc experienced during her near-death experience into the in-character session synopsis
>i wrote that from her perspective she was in a river of souls, and got slowly pulled away from the side of the dead and against the river tide by bronze chains anchored into the spots on her "body" where she has dragon scales
>heavily implied a piece of her own soul split off before she got downed and in effect a facet of her subconscious pulled her back into the land of the living

What I am trying to say is that writing near-death experiences is more fun than I expected.
>>
>>62441409
monk, barbarian, ranger and warlock when it is played by the OP guy
>>
I made a few changes to my Giant based Barbarian subclass, tell me what you think.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1M28upYQ
>>
>>62441409
ctrl+f: druid.
No one hate druids, i am pround of you anons
>>
>>62446719
what kind of family has the son sleeping with the mother and the father with the daughter
degenerates
>>
>>62446465
Is it even possible for a PC to have less than 10 AC?
>>
>>62446869
I like the story. It reminds me of a question I had recently: How special does everyone like to make their character?

I had a large gap in playing D&D between my teenage years and now. As a teenager, my characters were snowflakes, and now probably as a result of shame, I have only come up with fairly boring backstories for any of my recent characters. As an example, my current character is a halfling that was travelling with his small family in a caravan that made their living selling goods in the towns of the region. When they decided they wanted to settle down because the roads were just getting too dangerous for them, my character wasn't ready to stop being on the road and took up adventuring, following in the footsteps of his uncle role model.

Half the other characters in my party have huge backstories that occasionally I get a glimpse of as a player, and I really enjoy that. Especially because it seems like some of that will get tied into the story of the campaign going forward. As an example here, one of the characters has a powerful spellcaster sister who(as an excuse for IRL absence) called him to the city she was in, tried to poison him and failed, then turned him into a bird when he asked for help getting back to the party.
>>
>>62447006
You would have to dump dex to 8 and then not wear any armor. I'm surprised that someone could manage to gimp themselves that hard by mistake.
>>
>>62447006
-1 dex and no armor.
I managed to sell him on Monk fulfilling his "caestus wielding pit fighter" fantasy better than Fighter, which put him at a much better 15 AC with 1d4 melee attacks. Maybe I should have showed him a Barb with a natural weapon or Vuman with Tavern Brawler though...
>>
>>62443321
>we're rolling for stats
>>
>>62447014
I kinda prefer your character's backstory a lot more here, but I assume the DM is probably selling the other character's bitch sister story pretty well. With your halfling the uncle can be worked into the story as a hook, an ally, maybe a nemesis in a light hearted or heavy manner, the parents and notion of trade being dangerous could come into play if you adventure through the areas they had originally been active in... There's a lot to work with there, even if it's fairly mundane.
>>
>>62447035
Barb probably would fit pretty well even without any improved unarmed. At the very least, he'd have more than 10 AC, and he gets more out of it than Fighter.
>>
>>62447036
this
>>
How do DMs/parties irl feel about multiclassing? There are a bunch of cool builds I would want to try out at a different table, and I don't know what is expected/tolerated.
>>
Any good Monastic Tradition homebrew?
>>
Im making "minies" out of hard paper printed on both sides because i cant find minies in bulk that arent overpriced. (shipping to europe is 25€ plus the minies)

Anybody ever had an experience in ghetto made minies?
>unpainted low quality kids toy minies that are actually 3D
>expensive but marvelous minies
Or
>continue making these good looking but clumsy 2D minies

Ive made like 90 so far for about 5€
>>
>>62447121
Forgot pic
>>
>>62447036
>not rolling for stats
Pathetic.
>>
>>62447107
Ask your DM/party? Many are ok with it, others dislike it as the realm of powergaming. Some groups have limits on builds and will outright ban meme builds like coffeelock. It’s very different from group to group in my experience, although most seem to be ok with MCing.
>>
>>62447014
I like to make my character special, but not too special. Like I go out of my way to make it clear that even though MY character is special, someone else put into the same situation could and likely would do better.

For example the aforementioned sorcerer is just one of the "guinea pigs" - there is probably at least a dozen more people like her running around Faerun.

Whenever I make a character that would be considered a snowflake it's generally unintentional and when I figure out they're a snowflake I tend to try pretty hard to make them not one.

I think it's part of how I treat fiction in general - whenever I come up with a setting for a short story, I try to make every single character special. Every character that gets a name also gets a backstory and motivation. Everyone is a main character in one way or another.
>>
File: 1490589693957.png (217 KB, 1119x1086)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>62444525
>sign up to play 5e game. DM seems like a cool guy. Said he wants to move from 3.5e to 5e
>We meet up for session zero to make our characters. Out characters will embark on expedition with some hotshot NPCs
>During character creation DM didn't read anything about 5e and talks in 3.5e term - everyone consult me since I've read the PHB
>DM doesn't bring a single notebook for a session to note stuff down.
>Constantly breaks the narration to tell about how awesome his NPCs are.
>It goes on for 5 sessions, everyone around the table start to get hang of rules.
>Out of blue DM pulls amnesia card affecting all PCs and throws us to a completely different area but his NPCs are still there.
>After that I decide to leave and explain why to the DM
>>
File: 1539077235769.jpg (80 KB, 543x768)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>62447147
>not buying lottery tickets and scrapping off the first two digits for stats
>>
File: 1521700615643.jpg (213 KB, 1024x576)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
yo /5eg/

Who wants to help me test out the random encounters on the road chart I've made for my next session?

Some motherfucker tell me about your character, and then roll a d10, another d10, and a d6
>>
>>62447128
They look like they have little pegs to snap into paper.
>>
>>62447128
>>62447121
I do the same. As long as you have good bases to stand the minis on it works great.
>>
>>62446895
At a glance:
>lots of odd wording; double-check existing abilities and formatting to help with that (Duergar for Enlarge/Reduce text since you would be wise to specify the spell itself, Totem for how the modular effects are laid out, etc.)
>Frost and Stone touch effects do not have an associated action with their use (IE "As an action, you can touch...")
>Titan Fury should be divided into two parts: heritage selection and then the Enlarge rage part
>Enlarge is appropriate but not optional
>a lot of features and power for one level when combined with the additional resistances, tool proficiencies, etc.
>Should be a later feature, if at all
>Giant's Aspect is just bear totem progression stuff, which is fine
>Fire Giant 3/4 cover seems off for fire (to me, at least)
>also works oddly since its wording means someone can be in front of you and still be in 3/4
>Frost Giant ground pound also weird for frost IMO; why not a winter breath or something? Same effects of tripping, etc.
>Stone Giant is probably the simplest, though the tack-on of the Brutal Critical in addition to the rage damage is pushing more bloat
>Jotun's Wrath first part is fine, but the second should just read "You can cast the Enlarge/Reduce spell on yourself without material components using only the spell's enlarge option, but its duration becomes 10 minutes" or something similar
>Greater Giant's Aspect
>Fire is strong, but it's 14th level so who gives a fuck about 1d4 extra per hit
>Frost Giant again getting weird damage effects with Thunder this time?
>Stone, despite martial rule of cool, can technically fall forever and not take any damage with the current wording
>the push smaller creatures aside should specify the nearest unoccupied space or something similar
>anytime you reference "Small races", replace it with "Small creatures"
I love me some giants, but you're going to need a few revisions. Did you base it off of the Giant Soul Sorc in terms of layout?
>>
>>62447178
I pin each one in a piece of black cardboard. So they actually stand up
>>
File: 1535057852828.jpg (9 KB, 241x215)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>62444775
I'm playing Conquest Paladin with Great Weapon (with GWM - combos well with Guided Strike)
Forgot about Wrathful Smite since I've been using spell slots for Divine Smite but only recently reached 8th level.
Thanks for the tip anon!
>>
>>62447163
>not using a magic 8 ball to get your stats
>>
>>62447179
Havent tried them ingame yet, tomorrow is the first session. But its good to hear they do work. Im using carton bases which seem like they will damage over time. Got any bettervsolutions?
>>
>>62447206
>not having 8 kids and giving them all cereals for breakfast and count the leftover pieces for stats.l

Like you dont even like playibg tg
>>
>>62447163
What like the digits are your total pool of stats?

>>62447226
>Not taking the number of characters in your daily horoscope number modulus 14, each day of the week to determine your stats from Strength to Charisma, with the seventh day being modulus 10 to determine a pool to distribute freely using the point buy rules.
Come on
>>
>>62447151
>I think it's part of how I treat fiction in general - whenever I come up with a setting for a short story, I try to make every single character special. Every character that gets a name also gets a backstory and motivation. Everyone is a main character in one way or another.

You and my DM have a similar thinking process. It's actually difficult to keep track of all of the different things that are going on. For instance, my halfling did end up meeting his uncle in some ruins under the city that were inhabited by some cultists we were investigating. The uncle had a story that took 15 minutes to tell. He had been marked by a halfling godess(tattoo) and was in charge of guarding a dragon egg for her. Afterwards he ran into an adventuring group that was investigating the result of the actions of the cult(who they sent uncle in to investigate). And each one of the characters in his adventuring party had stories of similar scale(except their pretty boy fighter who just wanted to fuck beautiful things).

That's just one adventuring party, and trying to understand the motivations of them and even more powerful people(like the Duke of that town, or the city council that are really in charge, or even things like the dieties) can get overwhelming.
>>
>>62447258
Yes
>>62447258
>Not writing down the dates of death of one of your family member for stats
>not calling the police for explosives in school and counting the minutes they arrive for stats

Patrician's choice
>>
>>62447149
I think most are ok with it but it depends if you're doing it to powergame and try to break the game or because you have some concept you think sounds fun.
>>
>>62447307
>>62447107
>>
>>62443620
Now I want to refluff eldritch blasts as bullets from a sixshot or a m1911 pistol, limit its use to an item (focus or pact) in your inventory and don't feel particulary bad when someone plays a sorlock.
>>
>>62447208
Bought a bunch of these plastic bases on ebay. Worked nicely so far.
>>
>>62445439
You can always attack yourself with an unarmed attack to sustain the rage, useful too as you're halving the bludgeoning damage.
>>
>>62447353
Thanks a bunch. That never crossed my mind.
>>
>>62447353
Yeah, have those generic stands for all my boardgames, such us Runbound. Definitely worth it for pretty much anything.
>>
>>62447407
>runbound
Search gave nothing. Did you think about runebound? Could you link me a site for these kind of stands maybe?
>>
>>62447182
I based a little on Giant Soul and used a bit of Totem Barb. I was concerned about the word bloat myself and it's something I'm definitely wanting to trim, I will explain some choices though.

>Focus each option towards more generic 'big man' themes following general roles. Fire is defense/teamwork, Frost is more active offensive ability, Stone is passive/mobility.
>3rd level heritage choice based mostly on flavor to make up for lack of non-combat utility in general barb kit. Will admit to large initial power hike for 3rd even when it doesn't scale as hard as other features such as Zealot damage, willing to drop passive resistance pick-up.
>Enlarge terminology gets weird, wanted to avoid it being over lengthy by specifying 'the enlarge portion of Enlarge/Reduce' and rage restriction/contradiction with 'you may cast' ability tagging. Making Enlarge optional should be a thing, will add.
>General theming means beyond the initial 3rd, stuff is less about being a particular giant and more about being large. Allows you to mix and match with less issue ala totem barbarian and avoid weird things such as Fire Giant Barb doing an ice breath or a Stone Giant having a flame effect.
>Critting feels rare, so allowing a distinct class feature like Brutal Crit to apply for an attack that already has a typical resource/action cost associated with it (how many weapons you have to huck, how many you can take out) felt appropriate. 3/4th cover for Fire felt a compelling defensive feature when by RAW creatures can only be half-cover, was unsure how to distinct it without getting wordy, best bet is adding "may" to allow it to be optional for willing allies and avoid it having backlash effects on their accuracy.

Will continue with things I do agree with you with and want to fix.
>>
>>62447437

Things I will be trying to remedy and I appreciate you bringing up.

>Frost ability damage. Make it uniform, will likely convert 6th level damage to Thunder. Potentially find another effect to go with the damage beyond Deafened for 14th?
>Trim and simplify Stone's 14th effect. Not sure how to express the idea of a hulk style leap in succinct gameplay terms without getting snagged on certain system rulings such as jump distance, fall damage, etc. Avoid taking 2d6 every time you use the ability while also keeping you from a safe infinity drop like you no-clipped through the map.
>Fix various wording issues. Trim flavor text as well? Will be adding and adjusting on various parts as you recommended.

I am interested in possibly adding more options with other giants (maybe oni?) but want to ensure that the first selection gets looked over properly before tossing more ingredients in the stew. This has been very helpful though, I appreciate these criticisms.
>>
Rolled 3, 6 + 1 = 10 (2d10 + 1)

>>62447174
Rogue/Fighter indiana jones like character looking for ancient treasure and artifacts.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d6)

>>62447507
Messed up the d6
>>
>>62447507
The cart that you have hired to help transport your artefacts and treasure back to your keep trundles along the cobbled road. The sun is low - it's late evening.

You reach a wooden bridge over a roaring, white river. It effectively deafens you.

Motes of light dance by the river bank, like fireflies. Your proximity to them lightens your spirits.

Feel free to interact further, or to roll again for the next days encounter.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjCZAcneUII

Honestly, this movie is better than I remember.
>>
>>62447522
>telling a character how they feel

Shit DM
>>
>>62444133
Couldn´t you just reflavor Ao like that since he´s the almighty overgod?
Afaik Ao doesn´t give a shit about his devotees and doesn´t answer prayers but that still seems like the best choice. Make him have to hunt down outsiders or mediate between other churces.
>>
Is a half-orc valor bard/GOO bladelock build actually viable in any way, shape or form?
I have this idea for a jolly norse-themed pirate skald that worships Jormundgand/Dendar the World Eater bouncing around in my head, but I suspect that this character may mechanically backfire.
>>
Is it right to have the party roll initiative if a player attempts to cast a spell while hostile (but not yet attacking) individuals are waiting to see what action the players take against them?

During a session, a player attempted to cast Charm Person on a character who was not only directly opposed of the party with his weapon drawn, but also waiting to see if the party would attack him, suspecting they would try, with a large group of allies in the same situation.

I ruled it as being a "hostile action" and any form of spellcasting in their direction would have set them off as being a potential attack.
>>
>>62447640
Initiative is rolled immediately when hostilities begin, so yes I would say that's accurate. If the enemy is expecting the players to do something, there's no reason he wouldn't be ready to act. Initiative is there to resolve who's faster. If the players really catch someone with their pants around their ankles they might be surprised, but a situation where tensions are high and the enemy may view them as a threat certainly doesn't qualify for that.
>>
>all these methods for determining stats
>still better than rolling
mysides.jpg
>>
>>62447640
Yes. The moment you raise hands, enemies will expect offensive action and try to attack ahead of you, which is what initiative is for.
>>
>>62446869
>her
I knew there was something fishy brewin'
>>
File: maximum smugger.png (61 KB, 209x203)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>62447832
>it's another "Anon doesn't know how to separate reality from fiction" episode
>>
>>62447840
whatever you say, tranny
>>
>>62447848
Hey, y'hear that? It seems that every person who has ever created a character that isn't their gender is a tranny now.
>>
>>62447848
Look at this pleb. He doesn't RP waifus. Lol fag
>>
>>62447729
Name a more fun way of determining stats than rolling.
>>
>>62447899
Arm wrestling
>>
>>62441656
>Think of personal story quest for my character
That's not how it works. When you create your character you put all of this shit down and it's up to the DM to make a story out of it. If he wants to.
>>
>>62447860
>wants to be a girl and calls others fag
the absolute state of the modern 4channer. now take your meds and get back on topic, derailing shitposter.
>>
>>62441978
>magic is in his blood
That's a sorcerer, my man.
>>
>>62447959
Or he ate a sorcerer
>>
>>62441656
Rosegold would make a shit meterial for a sword tho
Also
>Discord
There's your problem. Probably anime images everywhere? Abandon the ship.
>>
>>62447952
>m-muh derailing
>feels the need to throw a sperg tantrum over males playing female characters
I bet you'd sooner spill your spaghetti than give a female shit for playing a male character.
>>
>>62447952
>he doesn't want to be the little girl
>tries to insinuate he's an oldfag
>outs himself as reddit

I bet you spend more time thinking about your (male) characters than i do with my dime a dozen, playable waifus.
>>
>>62442280
It works amazingly well, actually.
Expertise + advantage when raging on grapples/shoves
Reckless attack triggers the sneak attack
Two attacks from barb
Sneak attack progression from Rogue
You can totally use finesse weapons with STR(This slender, beautiful rapier intended for fencing? Imma bash this dude's skull with the pommel)
>>
Is the Berserker good bros? I want to play it, but my group are filthy minmaxers, and I fear it would be subpar. I don't really like the Totem Warrior thing.
>>
File: barbarian dragon.jpg (233 KB, 790x1053)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>62448311
Totem is the bread-and-butter barb for bear alone. As for Berserker, if there was an easier way to get rid of exhaustion (or the class did, anyway), it would be much better. However, actually using your frenzy feature with any sort of consistency essentially makes you bedridden for several days at a time to recoup from the exhaustion levels.
>>
>>62448311
Noooooooo. It's shit. Unless you want to cripple your hero every time you rage.
If you don't like Totem Warrior, go Storm Herald or Zealot, both are alright.
And look at this, since you're playing with minmaxers >>62448078
>>
>>62448341
>>62448346
FUCK
>>
>>62448311
Berserker is one of the failure 5, along with Champ Fighter, 4 ways monk, wild magic sorcerer and the entire ranger class. If you don’t like Totem I suggest looking at the Xanathar options for barb, if your dm allows them.
>>
Anons, what about bardbarian? Is it viable/playable?
I have an image in my head of a dude who walks up to a sieged fortress or enemy's frontlines, rolls out bagpipes and starts to play so hard, fires come out of the pipes. And when enemies pepper him with arrows, he just tanks it, without missing a note.
Bear Totem/ Swords Bard, I guess.
>>
>>62448464
Sounds utterly retarded.
>>
>>62448464
Build strengtt with the valor bard and you should be okay. I played a sword bard/storm herald for a while and it was fun. He was a Dervish with desert aura.
>>
test
>>
>>62448464
Rage is pretty crippling for any full caster class.
>>
>>62441409
Asking here because I play 5e and so cannot speak for other systems. What is up with dm's advertising their games with a bookish blurb and none of the more vital information a person, and I in particular want to know?

I like point buy, arrays and knowing what the stance on homebrew is before I apply. I wanna know if the game is going to be a decent fit before progressing further. Is this wrong on my part? is it simple negligence or perhaps the idea that By the Book is not the only way to do things?
>>
Has anyone played the primeval guardian Ranger? Hows it fare? Is it mechanically good? Is it fun
>>
Opinions on the angry gm?
>>
>>62448497
No, it's just that only few gm's are actually really good at their job.
But if the info isn't there, it's your job to fin
>>
>>62448541
d out.
>>
File: Golvoth new.png (1.62 MB, 1240x2218)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB PNG
>>62448518
Rolled a firbolg primeval ranger once; was a lot of fun character wise, but I had to give scout's honor once my character hit level 7 and got Ancient Fortitude to not cheese it for perma-full health.
>>
What’s the most ”DM, may I?” class? The rogue begging for advantage every round of combat? Wild mage sorcerer?
>>
>>62448497
Playing online? Tough luck, pal.
Get your friends to play with you or find IRL groups.
>>
>>62445303
>Don't worry about in-combat healing, get Faerie Fire then use Repelling Blast to keep targets within the AOE of it
You need to re-read faerie fire.
>>
So, has there been anything that really saves ranger since launch?
>>
>>62448567
I've seen this post before. I k ow where rhisnis going.
>>
>>62448567
Wild Magic Sorcerer or Illusion anything.
>>
>>62448496
Oh well, I guess I'll just grab Magic Initiate for Vicious Mockery and Entertainer background for the musical instrument prof. Don't really need the rest of the class anyway.
>>
>>62448562
Alright im glad I wasn't wrong about that little feature i thought i was crazy
Alright well ill probably be rolling one soon thanks friend
>>
>>62444231
What is this a picture of? Did she take a shit or something?
>>
So my party is composed of fairly unremarkable folks but DM still ended up making us snowflakes with epic destinies
>>
File: 1523965143256.jpg (87 KB, 1163x1280)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>62447202
Friend anon. Please, DO NOT IGNORE WRATHFUL SMITE. Hear me now if never again. WS is the most powerful spell you will ever possess. It will best 9th level paladin wankery because of two simple facts.

>Attempting to make a wisdom check VS wrathful smite is an action
>a check as an action
To break this particular flavor of fear a creature must pit the commonly lowest raw ability score against your dc, as the main element of their turn. This alone can frustrate dm's into abandoning mobs you have spooked- and since the effect is not concentration you are able to roam through groups, lashing out and leaving several shattered, terrified enemies in your wake. Divine smite is wonderful to be sure, you layer it on top of wrathful, or thundering, or staggering but it is a secondary. Whatever saves against your channel divinity and is likely to live more then a round should be eating a wrathful.

That said, enjoy your time in the sun and remember. Prone enemies within your aura of conquest LITERALLY CANNOT STAND UP. Knock the dragon prone? Wrathful it and laugh as it cowers on its knees before you awful might
>>
Stop trying to narrate your fucking fights like it's anime
>>
>>62448576
Revised Ranger is pretty aight
>>
>>62448617
normal, one of the aspects i love about D&D is that you can start as a nobody, it's rare video game rpg's let you do this, your almost always in some unique position right from the start that makes you the MC.

one of the aspects of Icewind Dale i loved, just make a party of up to 6 characters as you see fit, here's this adventure they go on.
>>
>>62448607
If you want to smash things and tank hits as a bard 2 levels in Paladin actually works extremely well.
>>
File: arcanine.jpg (366 KB, 1920x1357)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
>>62448634
Can you give an example?
>>
>>62448621
Is my PHB broken because it says Wrathful Smite is a concentration spell.
>>
>>62448641
Man, I wish they haven't removed Redemtion's unarmored defense, it would've been perfect. But alas.
>>
>>62448634
>That Guy who only says ”I hit him and do X damage” every round

Real exciting game ya got there
>>
>>62448665
It is. If you cast it after your main action, you'll have to wait a turn and not lose concentration before you get to actually smash something.
>>
>>62448634
This. I fucking cringe when normies start doing it, and the blame is squarely on cancerous ideas like "describe the manner of its defeat"
>>
>>62448678
Yeah but the wording also pretty specifically implies the fear is part of the spell's effect as well, meaning that part also requires concentration to function.
>>
>>62448665
The spell is, the effect is not. Unless I have it very wrong, concentration for this just means you can miss once or twice without completely wasting the spell slot
>>
File: thinking loss.jpg (6 KB, 326x326)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>62448634
>WAHHH STOP ROLEPLAYING IN THE ROLEPLAYING GAME
>>
>>62448690
Nah. I'd say that's not a part of it. Feel free to rule however you want though.
>>
>>62448679
When the killing blow is dealt to the last enemy of the fight I always say "you see a gap in his/its defenses" and the players can then describe how they deliver the killing blow or say that they knock them unconscious.
>>
>>62448693
>D&D
>a roleplaying game
>and not a skirmish wargame it was originally intended to be
Come on, you know D&D isn't roleplay-oriented.
>>
>>62448692
>>62448700
I hate to be the guy but Crawford did twitter answer someone that Wrathful Smite's lasting effect does require ongoing concentration.

I always felt that it damn near defeats the purpose of the smites though, so I certainly see where you're coming from using it the way you'd logically imagine it should function to be useful.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 327x771)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>62448706
Is this bait
>>
>>62448665
yes, this is why Polearms are a Conquest Paladin's best friend, your aura of fear is 10 ft, not 5 ft, Polearms allow you to strike 10 ft away without issue and if you pick up polearm master they allow you to strike with a reaction as they enter your reach, you can shut down tons of enemies that lack either ranged attacks or a 10ft reach weapon
>>
File: autism.jpg (60 KB, 600x641)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>62448706
>>
>>62448692
Spell specifies that the frighten condition ends after the spell ends. You lose concentration, the spell ends, the fear ends.
>>
>>62448719
Yes, obviously. But think about it, there aren't any actual rules for anything social, except for stats and spells that let you completely bypass most of it.
Meanwhile there are tons and tons of pages on combat.
Compare it to other, better systems.
>>
>>62448715
>Crawford
Well, that's your first mistake. Twitter is not an official source and Crawford is a cunt. So feel free to rule however the fuck you like at your table.
>>
>>62448737
>there aren't any actual rules for anything social
Does no one read the DMG?
>>
File: mfw.png (760 KB, 588x545)
760 KB
760 KB PNG
Guys, quick question: should lawful neutral oath of conquest Paladin be considered "greedy" for asking to get a fair payment for his services? My whole party can't stop bitching at me everytime I refuse to work for free
>>
>>62448748
It's not much compared to other systems.
>>
>>62448744
The wording's also pretty definite, despite it not being as clear as it could be, Crawford (the cunt) was just answering a fairly common question since it does come up fairly often.
>Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must make a Wisdom saving throw or be frightened of you until the spell ends.
Until the spell ends, not "for 1 minute," concentration spells have a duration that only lasts as long as the concentration does.
>>
>>62448744
But the spell literally says the frighten ends if the spell ends.
If the concentration ends, so does the fear as the spell has ended.
>>
>>62448754
where does his lawful side come from?
if your following the rules of a particular nation, then it's only fair people get paid for the work they do, thats just how things work, he's neutral so he doesnt really give a shit about being a nice guy or vise versa, pay the man and he'll get it done.

is your party filled with good aligned people?
>>
>>62448715
I agree with >>62448744 That is on par with citing matt mercer.

>>62448754
Kinda. As a LN conquest paladin I'd say you lay down and then adhere to your word. You do not ask for "fair payment" you TAKE fair payment and not a copper more. Or consider making payment a tithe you then send the bulk of back to your masters. When the party bitches you tell them that offloading conflict makes a man weak and that while you are sympathetic to the fact that so many are weak through little fault of their own, that does not excuse them from the chance to learn. You tell your party that you dislike tithing your lessers but hope that they will learn from this sting and do better. They encountered their better and now have the chance to rise
>>
Are there any recommended guides/tips for homebrewing monsters?
>>
>>62448783
The lawful part comes from the personal code of my character, and yes almost the entire party is lawful/neutral good
>>
>>62448754
>It’s another paladin player is disruptive to rest of party episode

Le sigh
>>
>>62448829
If possible, adapt an existing vanilla statblock.
>>
>>62448754
It's situational really. If the job is something like 'Go here and get me this book from a tomb' then sure it's fine. If it's 'PLEASE HELP ORCS ARE COMING EVERY WEEK AND STEALING THE WOMEN', then it's reasonable for some people to consider you greedy if you ask for a reward
>>
>>62448866
>EVERY WEEK
Maybe they should move.
>>
>>62448706
Unironically, if you play D&D without roleplay, you have to be actually, medically, unironically retarded.

>HUURRRR LOOK AT HOW HARD I READ THE BOOK I MADE A BROKEN MULTICLASS AND HAVE MAGICAL ITEMS UNGA 70 DAMAGE OH MY GOOODODODOO

You're sitting around rolling a bunch of dice. Apparently, that entertains you.What an actual fucking autist.
>>
>>62448859
why?
>>
>>62448824
Interesting point, but I usually justify my "greed" with basic logic: more money equals more resources and better equipment at our disposal which means better chances to accomplish our primary mission. So when, for example, some random beggar runs to my party asking for help with something I usually reply "Make it worth my time or begone".
>>
>>62448892
Faster, easier. Less moving parts your Inept flipper-paws can fuck up
>>
>>62448892
Because you’re an idiot, you don’t know how to design games, and it’s just easier to adapt something that a professional made, rather than make your bullshit homebrew unicorn troll dragon cat thing, without any proper guidance, just playing it by ear, just shooting from the hip, you should KYS
>>
>>62448418
Combine two failures, Champ with Berserker on a half-orc or a half-elf for crit fishing and it feels alright.
>>
>>62448926
>>62448938
Damn we're really out the gate early with calling this guy's homebrew shit
>>
>>62448892
Vanilla statblocks are already balanced within the game. You COULD write up a statblock from scratch for, say, your giant lizard, but why do that when you can just make some tweaks to one of the many existing lizard statblocks?
>>
>>62448922
So when the begger tells you he has nothing you tell him that his time and back can be given and that he will instead render unto you a service
>>
>>62448880
They aren't attacking you see, they just come into town and seduce the womenfolk every Friday.
>>
>>62441831
We've got a warlock cross fighter in our group who is a thug that got a demon bound to him. It takes the form of a Yakuza back tat and he spends a lot of his time internally fighting for control of his body. I personally love it because it's embracing what makes warlocks fun and he commits to the role. He's also the least edgelord guy but trade off is he's a giant weeb.
>>
>>62448965
This is a cool idea. Also Yakuza fanboy weebs are some of the less autismal weebs out there.
>>
>>62448946
>considering homebrew?
>it's shit and you're dumb!
>>
It is dumb though, name one good piece a homebrew and I’ll let you fuck my ass
>>
>>62448674
There's a difference between describing an action and doing cringy anime bullshit
>>
>>62448988
the compendium of secrets with warlock patrons is pretty good
>>
File: 1538789910835.png (194 KB, 576x699)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>62446007
>It also kind of kills unarmed combat for the rest of the game
just take a level of monk
and get 2d4 damage
with whatever other class you want
martial arts is a level 1 feature lul
>>
I’m already tracer, I’m already widow maker, Nerf bastion, I’m already Mccree
>>
>>62448679
>Regularios still use cringe and normie
WTF?!
>>
This homebrew any good?
>>
>>62449017
>asking /tg/ for an opinion on ANY homebrews
You should know better.
>>
>>62441831
>Just once I want a good warlock. Like a weak guy who made a deal with a higher power to gain strength to fight evil. And not be some edgelord.
Agreed. At the same time I wish they'd fix the whole pact of the blade/ hex patron thing.
Literally since the game came out I've wanted to play a Tiefling Paladin/ warlock refluffed as a satyr who's on a mission to find a cure for his dryad. Instead I have to go hexblade for mechanical synergy or just fluff my sword as being green and special
>>
File: 1538298429381.jpg (304 KB, 1920x1080)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>62449017
>3rd level
>gain ki
>any good
no
>>
File: 1537880010659.jpg (1.07 MB, 4332x3990)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>62448851
>refusing to waste time with pointless secondary quest for the sake of a few xp points is "disruptive"
>>
>>62448988
Tweaked Sorcerer
/r/boh5e has some good stuff
>>
File: muh oaths.png (138 KB, 537x585)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>>62448851
>>
>>62448988
That one Sorcerer rework that gives them a total of 10 bloodline-centric spells.
>>
>>62448891
>If you play a game for non-roleplay reasons, you MUST min-max it
It's like you don't actually like a challenge.
>>
>first game ever
>Phandelver
>guy creates a brooding dragonborn samurai who's seen many wars and is a god with his magic katana
>I walk straight into the goblin ambush at the beginning
>he charges one sword-wielding goblin, misses and gets critted for all his HP
Really made me kek
>>
>>62449017
Why do you make us go through this shit?
When will you learn that there is no good homebrew for 5e?

The only good homebrew is something the DM makes themself and regulates with regards to their own campaign. There is no universal homebrew that works, because you can just refluff something else without begging your DM to allow special snowflake content, usually.

This is going to take a while to load, so I'll post again in a bit.
>>
>>62448576
Gloom stalker and horizon walker once you get teleport
>>
>>62449017
Just use it if you like it. No matter what you make /5eg/ will sperg out at you about how homebrew is the spooge of Tiamat.
>>
>>62448679
>Regularios still use cringe and normie
WTF?!
>>
>>62449115
Thats one of those DMs that let in retarded characters just to kill off immediately
>>
>>62449089
It's not even about oaths really, it's just my IC choice to prioritize more important and actually profitable quest over some random beggar who can't find his dog or other stupid shit like that
>>
>>62449115
Seen many wars. Not participated.
>>
>>62449017
>>62449125
Okay, let's start

>Instead of buffing flurry of blows, it buffs patient defence
This is a nice idea, but the problem is that unlike flurry of blows which is straight up 'you attack more to do more damage', it's 'you use an ability which is usually used to make enemies ignore you or if you're lucky distract enemies'
It's very DM dependent whether enemies are dumb enough to attack you in the first place.
So even if the DM does decide to humour you, the abilities you get aren't that interesting:

>Level 3
Yes, you get a free stun against a target, advantage on something or you can try to make it keep attacking your patient defence (for no advantage or disadvantage) over and over while you start grinding out stuns from free ki to use. Except if you stun the target, they no longer keep attacking you, so...? I guess that balances? But then it's kinda less useful now too.
The wisdom-charisma check is just obnoxious. It shouldn't be there at all, really, but rather 'if the enemy misses you'
And it should happen, no reaction right after the attack, not on your turn.

>Level 6
This should probably have had limited uses but it's not too broken anyway.
It's also really weird that this is 'melee attack' not 'melee weapon attack', how the fuck are you countering shocking grasp with... Shocking grasp?
Yeah, sure, make it melee weapon attack and I won't complain about this feature too much.

Continuing...
>>
>>62449189
>erp
Dude, go to /vg/wowg/ or something.
>>
>>62448851
Paladin players are widely agreed to generally be the worst players. It isn't a surprise.
>>
File: 1539272690593.jpg (77 KB, 526x789)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
It's been a year since his death and I've immortalized him as the God of Love in my setting. Tell me about your gods of love /5eg/
>>
>>62449017
>Level 11
It's a cheesy way of saying 'you can grant yourself advantage on insight'
Boring ass shit, but to be honest it was due a ribbon feature sooner or later.

Also the 'you can get two features if you roll a 20' I guess is... Eh, gimmickey but it's pretty much a fun ribbon feature.

>Level 17
Okay, giving +2 wis is just... Weird. But it's hardly gamebreaking or anything. Sure, I guess. The other feature here is fine enough.
So overall, there's no real problems with this archetype in terms of balance or otherwise.

But it doesn't look fun to me at all. You're sitting there begging the DM to attack you when you're purposefully making yourself hard to hit, when the enemies are thinking 'why do I attack this fucker when I could just go attack that guy over there?' and otherwise spamming the level 6 ability to do a bunch of damage back to enemies.

The level 11 and 17 features then are pretty boring, just enhancements of what you can already do over giving you any cool new ability.

I'd honestly just say play a long death monk or open hand monk and take up the flavour - attack enemies after they attack you and stun them and shit. It doesn't matter if it's a reaction or on your turn, really. Heck, you can even pick up sentinel or PAM if you really want from v.human or something.
>>
>>62449198
erp and d&d wtf are you turbovirgins upset about join my discord
>>
>>62449263
You're not gonna find anyine to erp with. Go to WoW general on /vg/, it's swarming with ERPrs. They're very advanced though, all about futa.
>>
File: 1535148123555.png (1.18 MB, 683x1024)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>62449222
To put things into prospective: let's say my party main task it to slay a crazy dragon or something like that before it destroys the town. Give me one good reason for me to waste my time helping random idiots on the street for free instead of actually profitable jobs that would allow us to acquire more useful and better gear.
>>
>>62449275
i aint into feminine penises i need a real man to join the discord
>>
>>62449223
The closest I have to a god of love is a goddess of fertility and nature. She's quite popular with the elves.
>>
>>62448464
Palarian actually has pretty decent synergy as LOH and smites aren't spells.
>>
>>62449302
>for free
Bad DM. Always give a reward for side quests, no matter how small. Hell, let the reward be gotten halfway through the sidequest if the NPC that gave it really has nothing of value to give to the party.
>>
>>62448959
maybe the whores should leave then
>>
File: 1479955331312.png (40 KB, 152x254)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
So I started making my character's backstory for my first ever DnD game next week. One plot point lead to another and I somehow ended up with a character who's basically the Punisher.
Is it ok if I approach my DM beforehand and give him a kill list of randomly rolled NPCs?
>>
>>62449330
Sure.
You should understand that even for high level characters, you shouldn't make a fully realized character, backstory-wise. If your character already had all his adventures and deeds done, nothing he does in the game will be as interesting. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>62449223
Goddess of love is a sucker for hopeless romantics. She is one of the most likely to interfere with the affairs of mortals because she wants a good story.
She also really has the hots for the God of war, she has started mighty wars and has toppled civilizations to get him to notice her, and it works for a time. She is very vindictive and will curse anyone, man or woman, that is gaining too much favor with him.
It's gotten pretty bad to the point where he has started to divert all attention towards her to stop her from destroying the world in a misguided attempt to garner his love, but this is causing some issues within the powers of clerics and paladins.

Kinda cliche but i like it. Works within the context of the world
>>
Migrate at leisure

>>62449346

>>62449346

>>62449346
>>
>>62449303
They're mostly all about the Horsecock.
>>
>>62449349
The list is a secondary to-do thing
>>
>>62449326
Should "good reputation within the community" you're helping be considered a valid reward?
>>
>>62449189
>namefag
>discord
Holy shit just die.
>>
Thoughts on finesse two handed weapons?
Are sneak attacks on PAM/Sentinel too good?
>>
>>62449693
Do fucking not allow this you piece of shit
>>
>>62449693
Let strength keep their damage, finesse should never go above 1d8 for melee
>>
>>62449921
>Strength
>Damage
Dex does just as much damage with a hand crossbow
The difference here is that rogues do less damage than other martials because they can't abuse extra attack with sharpshooter and shit, don't get archery and get other features to make up for it

But PAM especially would allow very easy sneak attacks outside their own turn + give two attacks for chances on their own turn
>>
I need a character for a Session 1 tomorrow I've used up all my ideas in previous campaigns with this group before, give me your characters lads.

Just something moderately cool and easily roleplayable.
>>
>>62441782
DM's right. A rose gold sword sound stupid and impractical. It may be fantasy but come on man, at least put some effort in. It's a steel sword coated in alchemical gold or some such bullshit.
>>
>>62448418
Wild Magic really ain’t bad at all if you roll after every spell like the good Lord intended.
>>
>>62441890
I had one be a farmer from a Viking culture. His wife had died during the winter, his sons were grown, his grandsons were getting hair on their cheeks. So he packed up, left the farm to his oldest son and went out to adventure, party, and build a legend. I gave him decent cha to sweet talk.

The story was helped that one player rolled up a bard that I dragged (often literally) where ever I went and forced him to write songs about me.
>>
>>62442004
I had a party member report an urchin for taking a gold piece in a city where they cut off limbs for theft which was part of the description of the market as they went. He thought nothing of it other than "fuck that kid taking my stuff."

I would never fuck with adventurers. They are Amoral Psychopaths.
>>
>>62450713
It's true that they can sometimes be completely brutal over their possessions, but if an Urchin is only taking a single gold piece they're retarded.
You've gotta take as much stuff as you can and run. Run like the fucking wind. Especially grab a magic item.
>>
File: 1402367008497.jpg (39 KB, 350x358)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>casually mention a small detail
>players become obsessed with it
>to some extent becomes a major focus of the campaign

Tell me your stories /5eg/
>>
>>62450740
>grab a magic item
I would torture and kill that fucking urchin, and then send his corpse to the local urchin hangout as a warning.
>>
>>62441815
I had an idea for a 'law' monk once inspired by the angel from Kill Six Billion Demons who stuck rigidly to local laws, even if they were old/nonsensical/usually overlooked. Seemed like it would have been fun if we ran into the classic 'corrupt barony' type area. Sadly real life intervened so we only got 2 sessions in.
>>
>>62441831
We had a cool one in our group recently; essentially a wizard's apprentice who tried to jump-start his training, fucked up, and ended up both killing his master and accidentally binding himself to an eldritch power in the process.
>>
>>62451067
You think that's going to stop somebody with nothing from potentially stealing your magic item and achieving their hopes and dreams and living in luxury for the rest of their life?

Even if you have 5th level magic on your team that you're using to specifically track the urchin and spend more money than the magic item itself cost in finding them, it's not easy to track down one runt when they run out of the city. Locate object isn't gonna go that far.
>>
>>62442234
Sounds rad, go for it. Bonus points for converting others to his 'religion'

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.